Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Yow, Hey, what's going on? Everybody?
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show. I'm Trevor Noah. Let's kick things off. Yesterday was the METS Gala. It's party city on LSD, and this year the looks were as wild as ever.
Speaker 4: The MET Gala began with a bang from the Brooklyn United Marching Band and from there the steps became a who is who of.
Speaker 2: Fashion, movies and music.
Speaker 4: The theme is celebrating American fashion and these guests understood the assignment. Hosts Billy Eilish and Naomio Osaka stunned in their larger than life outfits, and Lil nas X shut down the steps with his costume changes.
Speaker 5: We asked, what does it mean to be two working class women showing up to the Met?
Speaker 6: And so we decided, if we're.
Speaker 4: Going to do it, Fish Tank Rich, even Mayor Deblasio made his first appearance. Red, white, and blue were the colors of the night, as was anything sparkly, with the exception of Kim Kardah, who came in all black everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 3: Man, you know you've killed the game when you can step out covered head to toe and everyone still recognizes you. Shit, I don't even recognize some of my friends when they were wearing a mosque. But Kim Kardashian climbs up the stairs looking like a video game character you haven't unlocked yet, and we're all like.
Speaker 2: I'd know that shape anywhere. It's Cam, Yeah, it's Cam. And there were so.
Speaker 3: Many amazing outfits last night.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Erica Badu came looking like an astronaut at a funeral. Dan Levy came as an angry throw pillow. Oh and this one was one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Kevin Hart.
Speaker 3: He brought a life sized doll of Frank Ocean. I mean that was genius. I didn't even think that. Wait, that's not the oh shit, my bad. And this is what I love about the Metgala, right, is that it brings America together, black, white, Republican democrat, no matter your sexual orientation. People switch on their TVs and they all say what the fuck are they wearing? And don't get me wrong, I love the Metgala. I'm not even trying to act like I hate I love the Metgaland because it's not about looking good, it's about looking different, you know, It's the only party you can show up to in a cardboard box with the word butthole written on it, and people will be like, oh my god, Yes, I need more of that in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But if you show up in a beautiful tailored tuxedo, everyone's like, get that corny shit out of here. Bring back that guy in the butthole box, and remember this entire event. This entire event is a fundraiser. I saw a lot of people talking trash, like, oh what is this bullshit? Why are these people doing. It's a fundraiser that makes it possible to keep admission into the Metropolitan Museum of Art free for residents, and I for one thing that's really important, you know, because you can't be charging people money to look at art. I mean, have you seen art? Arts is weird. It's all like naked angel babies and pieces of twisted metal and people looking at that stuff going oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, I see, Oh I see.
Speaker 3: I'm not paying for that shit.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 7: Welcome to c P Time, the only show that's for the culture. Today, we'll be discussing black contributions to fashion. Normally, when we think about black fashion, we think about church hats, so big they block the view of Jesus. What we think about those soups that Steve Harvey wears that haul all the buttons, leave some buttons for the rest of us. Steve, they keep them my clothes together with staples. But in actuality, the world of fashion has been filled with influential and iconic African American designers, like our first trailblazer, Zelda wyn Valdez, who was one of the first designers whose clothing accentuated women's curves. Before her, women's fashion covered up their figures with big ass skirts the size of a carnival cruise ship. Women would get lost just bending over to tie their shoes. Zelda's curve flooring designs were so popular that Hugh Heffner asked her to design the iconic outfit for the Playboy Bunnies. I never went to the Playboy Mansion myself because I was married, and I also have a severe phobia of rabbits. You never know where rabbits are hiding, and if you can pull one out of a hat, you can pull one out of anywhere. Here's my ass. I don't want to be around that. Another black creator of Coulteur is Stephen Burrows. He rose to fashion prominence in the early seventies during the disco era. I was always confused by disco. I couldn't tell who was dancing and who was giving me directions. But disco isn't just about the moves, It's about the fashion, which Stephen Burrows helped shape. He hung out at Studio fifty four and was popular among its celebrity regulars. He was the first to design clothes that were comfortable on the dance floor, even at three am, right when the cocaine hit so hard you thought you were the disco ball.
Speaker 1: Cocaine was better in the seventies.
Speaker 7: Burrows also invented lettucing, which is when you make the material at the edge of a garment curve and ripple like a piece of lettuce. I'll have to take his word for it because I've never eaten a piece of lettuce. My favorite vegetable is caramel covered popcorn. And finally, our last designer brings us to the modern day. Virgil Ablow, the first African American artistic director at Louis Vuitton and driving force behind this decade streetwear movement. He made high end fashion take streetwear seriously you know, fancy logos, T shirts, chunky sneakers, hoodies, pretty much anything you're not supposed to wear to a funeral unless you and the deceased had beef.
Speaker 1: Rest in peace, Spencer, Miss Jordans is stepping on your grave. Now, don't be fooled by the term streetwear.
Speaker 7: One of a Blow's biggest companies, Off White, sells sweatpants for over three hundred dollars, and this luxury undershirt costs two hundred. Although I don't know why you would spend so much money on a shirt that ain't nobody gonna see.
Speaker 1: You know how much I paid for my underwear? Nothing.
Speaker 7: A six pack of drawers fell off the back of a Walmart truck in nineteen eighty seven and I never looked back. So the next time you zip your fly and you're looking fly, remember the African American fashion trail blazers who made you that blazer. Now, if you'd excuse me, I'm gonna make my first shirt retail price.
Speaker 1: Ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: This old man has his debts, but that's all the time we have for today. I'm Roydwood Junior. This has been cpee time. And remember for the culture gave me some damn somebody give me a napkin. I'm bleeding on my fabric.
Speaker 8: Every great movement begins with an individual act of defiance. Moses stood up to the Egyptians. Gandhi stared down the British. Morocco met a man in Syracuse, New York, facing the mightiest foe of them.
Speaker 6: All Verse seventeen long months, Fred Craig has crusaded daily against women's discount clothing chain fashion Bug. It all started with these This is what happened to the Fashion Bug panties Fred bought for his wife. After only one.
Speaker 1: Wash, they can part. They shredded, So.
Speaker 6: He bawled up his panties and demanded a refund.
Speaker 9: She's like, Eh, those are underwear, you know we can't take those back.
Speaker 6: No refund. But Fred had found a nobler purpose trashing Fashion Bug. For over a year and a half, he's spent each day outside the mall spreading his message to women shoppers. Well, I try to return something there one day and they treated me like dirrek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of your behavior, not because the Fashion Bug's clothes. Don't be dissing them. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Speaker 6: Encouraged by his supporters, Fred forges ahead single mindedly, yet somehow he finds time to paint, create helpful websites, and take relaxing drives. Fred's mother stands firmly behind him. How proud are you proud?
Speaker 10: He is a complete idiot for doing What would you prefer.
Speaker 6: Fred do with his time work? Your son has a website?
Speaker 2: Why in the world would he have that?
Speaker 6: For other victims of fashion Bug. The name of the website is www dot fashion bugsocks dot com or not?
Speaker 10: What kind of language is that? Jeez Crown.
Speaker 6: To evaluate Fred's claims, the Daily Show laboratories conducted a battery of tests to simulate a typical day for a pair of panties. Our conclusion, these panties needed to go back to the store. Oh hi, yeah, I want to return these panties which I bought and they're not working.
Speaker 2: Happening.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, Wow, that's mud. After only forty five seconds, Fashion Bug gave The Daily Show a store credit. But for Fred, the battle continues with the support of his family.
Speaker 8: This is.
Speaker 10: I'm dreading Thanksgiving. That was my favorite holiday. But we're all getting together down My daughters also, and I dread your fred me in there, because the whole thing of being thankful is the idiots gonna say be.
Speaker 2: Talking about fashion about the whole time.
Speaker 10: Fashion bug, fashion bug, fashion bug, fashion bug. That's all he thinks about when he goes.
Speaker 2: To bed, That's what he sleeps about.
Speaker 10: Money. Can I do the next day for fashion bug? Jeu?
Speaker 6: Is he nuts?
Speaker 10: Really not?
Speaker 6: Is he crazy?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Is he a lunatic? No? So you love your.
Speaker 10: Son, yes, but I don't want to be associated with him.
Speaker 1: That's part one.
Speaker 9: Morocca.
Speaker 7: That that's an excellent part.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you this note the time that you spent in the field, can you now tell men what to look for in a good pair of panties?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, John, Here is the much celebrated song lovely to look at, but not at all durable? No, no, So now take a look at these, if you would, a pair of the much ballyhood edible panties. Okay, attractive, yes, but look very closely at the sell by date. Okay, I'm sure these panties were tasty in March nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 8: Well, which panties do you recommend?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Well, the oldies, but the goodies, Big old Granny panties.
Speaker 8: Well, do you have an example of that to show us.
Speaker 3: Or is there?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Well sure here, oh okay, yeah, you know, it's just very easy, yes it Yes, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I can I know, I understand.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're underneath very gay.
Speaker 8: We rock everybody.
Speaker 3: Not everything is going swimmingly in Trump Land. As you know by now, Nordstrom stopped selling Ivanka's product line and uh and after Trump attacked them online. This is true, Nordstrom stock shot up four percent.
Speaker 2: It went up by four percent.
Speaker 9: It's the new Trump effects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone, those stuffs are gonna go down right now. Every company in the country.
Speaker 3: Gonna start claiming to stop selling Ivanka products even if they don't have them.
Speaker 2: That's like the new thing.
Speaker 3: You go against Trump, and then people like people will be in courts and it's just like the lawyers like, I know, my client killed four people, but he stopped selling Ivanka products, so could he have a lighter sentence. They'd be like, all right, it's approved, it's approbed. So that was all yesterday. That was all yesterday. Then this morning, Trump sends out the most overworked woman in America and truth Scarecrow, Kelly and Conway to defend Ivanka's brand on TV.
Speaker 2: Do you asked about Evanka? I visited with her yesterday.
Speaker 8: You know, this is a very successful business woman.
Speaker 5: To buy Ivanka stuff is what I tell I'm gonna I'm gonna go get some on myself today.
Speaker 2: This is just it's a wonderful line. I own some of it. I fully, I'm gonna just give it. I'm gonna give a free commercial. Here go buy it today, everybody. You can find it online.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm going to give a free commercial.
Speaker 9: Go by it.
Speaker 3: I love how in less than three weeks we've gone from the presidency and Trump businesses are totally separate.
Speaker 2: To come on.
Speaker 3: Down to the White House and bye bye bye ah by Trump will get dunk.
Speaker 2: All our dignity must go.
Speaker 3: Guys, Like, with everything going on in the world, why is the president wasting his time with a clothing line.
Speaker 2: Like this is?
Speaker 3: He's a president, you know what I I mean? I talk smack about Trump all the time, but for the good of the country, I'm gonna help out.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna help this guy out.
Speaker 9: Donald.
Speaker 3: You know what, you focus on running a country and I'll help you sell those clothes.
Speaker 2: How about that? Huh? You guys ready for.
Speaker 3: A fashion show.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Let's do this. Let's do this, ladies, a gentleman.
Speaker 2: Dressed head to toe in pieces from the actual Evanka Trump collection. Give it up for our senior fashion correspondent. Does he light it? Everybody?
Speaker 3: Ever? Wow, Daisy, you look fabulous.
Speaker 11: Thank you. The fabric is definitely giving me a full body. But were there?
Speaker 3: You know what they say, beauty is pain, girl, tell us all about this fabulous look.
Speaker 11: Okay, well let's start with this gorgeous wool coat. Now, this is gonna protect you from all the elements, you know, snow, rain, bad press, criticism of your family, takes your dad mate on a bus.
Speaker 2: It's a great coat, Jussie.
Speaker 3: No one respects women's coats more than the Trump Right now, everyone's been talking about the B A M. But let's talk about this B A G. Oh.
Speaker 11: Let's now, this is the perfect bag for any stylish working woman whose family is going to use a presidency to make it rain Oh not waterproof?
Speaker 7: Oh? Oh?
Speaker 3: I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm just seeing your amazing shoes right now. Amazing. But how do you walk in those?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 11: Actually, these are super comfy, so comfy that you could spend the whole day helping your dad trample all over the constitution.
Speaker 8: You won't feel a thing.
Speaker 11: Now we'll kill a thing because you can't, even though during the campaign you made it seem.
Speaker 8: Like you would.
Speaker 2: Girl, you are killing it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, just like Trump's gonna kill the upa.
Speaker 6: Oh fashion burn, Yeah, it really burns.
Speaker 11: It's like a chemical.
Speaker 9: Oh you gotta rash.
Speaker 3: Is something going on, Disney?
Speaker 2: You should go Dozi light like everyone.
Speaker 9: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Something something won't do.
Speaker 9: That's whole thing.
Speaker 3: Today is the official starts of New York Fashion Week, or as New York is called it, Thursday. For more, Please welcome to the show, our newest daily show correspondent. Do'll say sloan everybody day.
Speaker 5: Thanks Drever. Yes, it's fashion week. And while we'll see some new looks, some things will never change. For example, we know at least one model will fail at her only job walking down the runway, and that some designers are going to try to sell us clothes they fished out.
Speaker 2: Of a dumpster.
Speaker 5: But the thing m that it's the most attention every year is the cultural appropriation that never goes out of style.
Speaker 3: Well do say, for people who don't know, can you explain what cultural appropriation is?
Speaker 5: Sure, it's when you take something that divines the culture that you're not a part of and profit off of it.
Speaker 2: The fashion industry does it all the time.
Speaker 5: They take from black culture, Native Americans, Asia, you name it. I mean the models even appropriate their body dimensions from the aliens and close encounters.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, But you'll say, to be fair, not all instances of cultural appropriation are that extreme.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: Not every person who listens to rap or Where's a Kimono? Or sings the chorus to Desposito, it's trying to steal someone else's culture.
Speaker 3: Let's get to here, because I love singing Desposito.
Speaker 5: Well, you can definitely sing it because you know, you look like a Puerto Rican.
Speaker 2: Ohl.
Speaker 5: But sometimes across the line, like when you get movies about white boys saving jazz or Miley Cyrus Twerkin'. Oh hell, cultural appropriation is the only thing Taylor and Katie can't agree on.
Speaker 3: Okay, but some people look at some of these examples and they think, why the fuss.
Speaker 5: Because, Trevor is when white people discover something that used to be considered ghetto.
Speaker 2: For example, look at big butts.
Speaker 3: I always try to.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Big butts used to be considered undesirable, but since the Kardashians bought all of theirs, now everybody wants one.
Speaker 3: Ooh.
Speaker 2: And don't get me started on dreadlocks.
Speaker 5: When black people have them, they're discriminated against, they even get fired over it.
Speaker 2: But when white.
Speaker 5: People have them, close fly off the racks. Look at this, this is a fashion shower. She an avatar?
Speaker 3: What way go go back? Was that Kendall Jenna?
Speaker 2: Baby, it's always Kendle Jenna.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what they'll say.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna I'm gonna lie. I hear you.
Speaker 3: And this is interesting because for me, it's weird. Where I come from, cultural appropriation isn't really a big deal, right My My family's always trying to get my white friends to wear African clothes. They don't view it as white people trying to steal our culture. They think they're embracing it.
Speaker 8: Mm hm.
Speaker 5: And that's the attitude they got my ancestors over here. These white men are trying to steal us, they're embracing us.
Speaker 2: Come on, we'll get on the boat. Okay, no, no, but the way but it's not. It's not just Africa.
Speaker 3: When Beyonce did that video where she dressed up like an Indian goddess, right, people here were upset, but in India.
Speaker 2: A lot of people loved it.
Speaker 5: Okay, not traveling Beyonce is a bad example because she's a letter with goddess. Come on, forget culture and Beyonce is thow my identity. I wouldn't even press charges. I'd be like, thank you, this my honor.
Speaker 2: It's not look, Trevor, this is about equality.
Speaker 5: If minorities were equal, they wouldn't worry about people taking their culture because that wouldn't be all they have.
Speaker 2: Look, white people, if you're gonna appropriate.
Speaker 5: Take everything, take the good and the bad, you could take my struggle too. Get pulled over for no reason, get followed through its door, and the next time there's a Black Lives Matter march, I want to see you there, kindle, but don't worry about bringing that pepsy girl.
Speaker 2: We drink sprite, Jose Sloan.
Speaker 3: Everybody here in America. The lockdowns have not ended in many places, so many people have had to find new ways to keep themselves entertained in quarantine and because the Met Gala was supposed to take place next Monday, fashion fans have started recreating famous outfits from the event at home. Yeah, one person made the Rihanna dress out of newspaper. Another person decided to go with chandelier Katy Perry. And you know what's cool is that this is a challenge that anyone can participate in because if you put any household object on your head, the chances are that someone war it at some point to the Met Gala. So yeah, this year, that's what people are doing. Because of coronavirus. People are wearing Met Gala outfits at home, as opposed to what I did last year, where I wore home outfits to the Met Gala. I see what you say about me, Internet, and it hurts my feelings. Today is the beginning of New York Fashion Week. Hello, Based on what you're wearing, I guess you didn't know about it. Oh, but how did New York Fashion Week begin? Well, Daisy Leidek has the answer.
Speaker 11: It's New York Fashion Week, the semi annual event when designers show their collections to the world so fast fashion brands can decide which styles to rip off. But Unlike wet subway seats, fashion Week hasn't always been a New York institution. It's had a long walk down the runway to get where it is today. It all started in France in the sixteen hundreds, which might not surprise you, but back then Paris was very much not known for fashion. The French were about as stylish as a croc wearing a fanny pack. At that time, Madrid was actually the fashion capital of the world, and thanks to their tiny tapas, they could actually fit into all the sample sizes. But everything changed for France when Louis the fourteenth was King Offid. Louis turned France into a major power, and he wanted the threads to show it. For him, fashion was essential to the monarchy's prestige. I mean, no one wants to be executed by a guy wearing cargo shorts. Louis's obsession built up France's fashion and textile industry and soon turned Paris into the world center of fashion, which by default made it the world center of cocaine and bitchy gossip as well. It was under Louis that France established the idea of showing fall designs in the spring and spring designs in the fall, so you can thank him for that trendy coat you're wearing in August.
Speaker 4: Oooh, the new.
Speaker 12: Faufurt was so hot.
Speaker 11: France continued to dominate the fashion industry for centuries until World War Two, when Paris was under German occupation. This grinded their fashion influence to a halt because a no one could come to Paris to shop, and b Coco Chanelle was too busy banging Nazis to make any clothes. I know, terrible right, But no matter how many times I remind them of this, the boutique still won't give me a discount on a classic flat bag. But Paris's defeat turned out to be a win for the American fashion industry. The US seized on the opportunity to fill that gap quicker than a forever twenty one dress falls apart in the laundry. In nineteen forty three, America held the first Fashion Week, or as it was known then, Press Week, Started by a publicist Eleanor Lambert, it launched the careers of designers like Hattie Carnegie, Norman Morrel, and Claire mccardal, whose claim to fame was inventing sportswear, and by sportswear, I mean any cowual clothing, not the athleisure that you wear even though your main exercise is getting a caramel frap in the Starbucks drive through three.
Speaker 1: Four.
Speaker 11: I oh woo ah, Stanid is tough. Before Press Week, magazines like Vogue and Harper's Bazaar were really all about European designers. They treated American designers the way they treated the Kardashians. In twenty ten they ignored them, but once Press Week started, they treated American fashion like well, the Kardashians. Now, she said She'd eat poop to look good?
Speaker 3: Should I eat poop?
Speaker 11: New York Fashion Week became such an institution that fashion capitals like Paris, London, and Milan soon added their own versions, and they continue pushing the fashion envelope to this day. You could only get away with severed heads in Milan. If that was on a New York runway, everyone just a it was another murder. As time passed, New York Fashion Week became home of so many seminal moments, like in the fifties when James Galano's popularized feminine glamour, or Adolfo, who gained fame in the sixties for his emphasis on accessories, and in the seventies, Norma Comali introduced a sleeping bag coat, although if you just wear your kid's sleeping bag it looks almost as good. As styles changed, so did fashion week itself. In the seventies and eighties, it turned into a NonStop party. Shows were held at nightclubs and celebrities started attending. By the early two thousands, celebs had become a permanent mainstay. Sarah Jessica Parker, Paris Hilton. Everyone was there, and that Hollywood glamour is still present to this day. But what was Larry David doing in the front row? He looked so missed to be there. He should have been on the catwalk. Through the years, fashion Week has had different homes in the city, from Bryant Park to Lincoln Center, but the most important place it's moved to in recent years is the same place you get all your porn.
Speaker 3: The Internet.
Speaker 11: Shows started live streaming, and designers began inviting bloggers and influencers to events. This all democratized fashion and made it more accessible to the public, or at least that's what I tell my therapist when we're working through my online shopping addiction.
Speaker 6: I'mbrook.
Speaker 11: New York Fashion Week hasn't just reflected the changing technology, It's also held a mirror up to society. From designers responding to the Me Too movement to the ongoing fight for more racial diversity on the runway, New York's been the site of progress for trans models, disabled models, and body positivity, which is kind of the least the fashion industry could do after telling women not to eat for the last one hundred years. So now you know everything about New York Fashion Week and how it came to be and how it's changing for the better. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some poof.
Speaker 2: Teat here we go.
Speaker 12: Let's kick things off. Last night's met Gala. Now the magical night when the world's most fashionable cultural icons try to figure out how the they're gonna fit their spiky headdress into an oberpool.
Speaker 6: On fashion's biggest night, Garden inspired looks on full display right in bloom with this year's dress code the Garden of Times.
Speaker 11: Fans tried to figure out which star was fully covered head to toe and a floor length beij umbrella.
Speaker 1: Now this is a water singer Tayla. So many people talking about this. She had to be carried off the stairs of the net.
Speaker 7: The dress, which was made of sand, was simply too heavy.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, a dress made of sand is super impressive. Who are you wearing, Coney Island?
Speaker 1: Thank you very well.
Speaker 12: I like how she had four people carry her up the stairs. I bet Joe Biden saw that and turned to the Secret Service, like, let's just do that from Noah.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 2: Paramount Podcasts