Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central, from.
Speaker 2: The most trusted journalist at Comedy Center is America's only source for news. This is the Daily Show with.
Speaker 3: Your host John do baby Well.
Speaker 4: Got to show.
Speaker 2: My John Short.
Speaker 1: We got a grade boy Tonight our guest on the program this evening coming to Tim Walls.
Speaker 2: Democratic nominated.
Speaker 1: The FIRS just two weeks until the election, and I'm gonna say this, I don't like it. We've officially entered into the fever dream portion of the campaign. Right is left, up is down? The Republican nominee is hanging out in a Bronx barber shop, and the Democratic nominee is hosting some sort of book club with Liz Cheney. What the fuck? That's a Cheney. What are you doing with the Cheney? And I want to hang with the Cheney there, Marvel, you're DC. You can't be in the same movie. It's a rights issue and no one likes them.
Speaker 5: And here's the worst part.
Speaker 1: The Cheneys have somehow synked up their circuit tree directly to the Madame Vice President right at the same time they got their lives. They move as one. It is so surreal. This campaign cannot get any weirder. Hello everybody, So my first day at McDonald's. I'm looking for a job.
Speaker 6: So if you don't mind, I want to work the French fry counter.
Speaker 1: Give him the job, I implore you don't. I don't care if these references don't shake out. Save democracy. Give him the job now. Kamla Harris is out there sweating the details over her new opportunity economy. Trump's just out there farting around.
Speaker 7: I love so wait a minute, I spilled some just I'm very superstitious. You take it for granted, you say, give me French fries. I'll never forget this experience. I always figured somebody stuffs them in with a hand, and I don't like that. And they don't do it that way.
Speaker 2: You never touch them.
Speaker 7: It's really great.
Speaker 1: Forrest gumph, What are we talking about her? For decades that you've been eating a McDonald's. You thought the fries come out of the boiling oil, and the workers making that sweet sweet four twenty five an hour just reach in and go.
Speaker 2: Just with their hands.
Speaker 1: Well do you think that's how the burgers get what? Oh?
Speaker 2: God, someone order ice cream?
Speaker 1: Oh that's his whole campaign right now?
Speaker 2: Are they?
Speaker 1: Maria dance party. I'm gonna deport everybody football tailgate. Blame the Jews if I lose McDonald's drive through. He's out there having the time of his life. And the poor sweet media, oh poor sweet media. They know they're mad, they're just not exactly sure which thing they should be maddest about anymore. But I can tell you one thing, media, It probably shouldn't be the McDonald's thing.
Speaker 8: This was entirely staged.
Speaker 2: There was a fake customer.
Speaker 8: Yes, he is so inept at pretending to be a real person that he really literally cannot operate the fry machine as normal worker because he be incapable of doing so.
Speaker 1: What Hey, what a peasant's counterpoint. Look, I'm all for criticizing Donald Trump, and I gotta tell you I also don't know how to work the friar at McDonald's and would be incapable of doing so. For at that point of the campaign, it's a fever pitch. We can no longer discern the noise from the signal. We've lost the ability to understand what level of outrage to even demonstrate, which brings us to this weekend, where the absurdity outrage cycle reached its Apex at a Trump campaign in Pennsylvania, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Gonna tell him the real story of Arnold.
Speaker 2: But Arnold Palmer was all man.
Speaker 1: And I say that in all.
Speaker 2: Due respect to women, and I love women.
Speaker 7: But this guy, this guy, this is a guy that was all man.
Speaker 2: His man was strong and tough. And I refused to say it. But when he took showers with the other pros they.
Speaker 6: Came out of there, they said, Oh my god, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I want to Donald Palmers so bad.
Speaker 1: I want to. First of all, I'm not going to fact check the former president, but Arnold Palmer wasn't all man. It's half man, half lemonade. Now if I like, none of that is true, but it is true. Apparently every time Arnold Palmer came out of the shower, the other golfers were like, oh, talk about a dog leg. That is a par Wow, you're gonna need a caddy. But the question, ladies and gentlemen, is not whether or not Arnold's Palmer is being fitted for the green jacket. It's whether the media will performatively take the bait.
Speaker 8: This was not just crude and obscene, but it was incompletely inappropriate vulgar lude.
Speaker 4: This is not presidential.
Speaker 9: It's just really the closing message you want voters to hear from Donald Trump's stories about Arnold Palmer's peenus, not one.
Speaker 10: Not three, but ten minutes talking about another man's genitalia.
Speaker 1: It's very serious. I apologize. That's what is the appropriate amount of time.
Speaker 2: Three minutes.
Speaker 1: I can understand ten minutes into you problem. But I do get there is a double standard player. You imagine if Kamala Harris held a rally and' like Billy Jean King hoo vagina Wow, She'd come out of the shower and all the other tennis players would out hello.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, ask your parents.
Speaker 1: That would be madness. But for Trump this was actually one of his milder genital rants. This was kind of his kids bop genital's rerant, classy body positive. He was complimenting somebody else. I don't know why we have to parse everything that this guy says so sternly.
Speaker 4: We have two enemies.
Speaker 6: We have the outside enemy and then we have the enemy from within. And the enemy from within, in my opinion, is more dangerous in China, Russia and all these countries.
Speaker 1: Hey, who wants fries.
Speaker 2: On a pumpad.
Speaker 6: We have some very bad people. We have some sick people, radical left lunatics, and I think they're the and it should be very easily handled by if necessary, by national God or if really necessary, by the military.
Speaker 1: You're not fun at all. That's not fun loving and mischievous. It sounded quite threatening. That's actually worthy is some real examination. And all the Republicans who have talked about having fun at Trump's rallies, I'm sure they'd express concerns about this type of rhetoric.
Speaker 9: What I want to just make very clear is that it's my belief that what former President Trump is talking about are the people that are coming over the border, that in fact are committing crimes, that are bringing drugs, that are trafficking humans. That is what I believe the president is referring to. I don't think that he's referring to elected people in America.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, good because okay, okay. Because I was worried because it did sound bad the way that he had said it, I probably wasn't thinking clearly, you know, But just to make sure that that is what he meant, Let's give the former president himself a chance to clear up that he's really talking about drug and human traffickers coming across the border, and obviously not elected officials.
Speaker 6: Adam Shiftischeff, who's a total sl is going to become a senator. But I call him the enemy from within.
Speaker 11: But just just shifty shift right, And it is the enemy from within, and they're very dangerous.
Speaker 6: The more difficult, are you know? The Pelosis? These people, they're so sick and they're so evil.
Speaker 1: Are you out of your mind? The former Speaker of the House is the enemy within? Well, I bet Donald Trump is about to get an earfull from the current Speaker of the House, who will, despite his support of Donald Trump, still have the courage to I'm kidding, just rolling. What he's talking about is marauding gangs of dangerous, violent people who are destroying public property. Ah. Yes, Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi, famous capos in the Salvadoran Gang ms NBC, Where's the we the people? Constitution? First outrage? Here he's talking about treading on you. You always waived it. Don't tread on me flag, This is treading.
Speaker 5: You are a decorated veteran.
Speaker 1: How would you feel about deploying against Adam Schiff?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 1: That's what he said, John, I think you're connecting some dots there. It's exactly what he said, not dots, words, We're connecting words through the ear holes with the listening.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 1: I understand the powerful pullarpartisanship, but from my own fucking sanity, can I get one Republican to at least acknowledge that Trump said the thing that he is repeatedly saying.
Speaker 2: Look, Trump speaks in hyperbole. This is nothing new.
Speaker 7: He's not talking about attack, using the military to attack people who disagree with them politically, or anything like that.
Speaker 2: He is literally saying that.
Speaker 1: He is literally saying that, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Literally he had said the enemy where it is like shifting shift in Pelosi.
Speaker 1: You can't just pretend that he's talking about something else.
Speaker 2: God, this is.
Speaker 1: What gets us to the ultimate problem, which is this is any of the shit Trump says real? How are we supposed to understand what's bullshit and what isn't? Kamala Harris, She's gonna have an eighty page presentation on exactly how this opportunity economy's gonna function and how it's gonna be paid for. Meanwhile, the standard for Trump is emotional vicinity. Apparently it doesn't actually matter if the things he says are true, and if you try and dig down on the lies, he only gets lie.
Speaker 12: Eer When you said, and you know it's gone viral. They're eating the dogs, they're eating the cats. You say, you're just reporting what had been said, But why not say, now, well, look that turned out not to be true.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's true or not true.
Speaker 2: I read down to that, you don't know if it's true or not true.
Speaker 1: Now it's been the monk by well, they's sure.
Speaker 2: What about the goose?
Speaker 12: The geese?
Speaker 2: What about the geese?
Speaker 4: What happened there?
Speaker 1: They were all music? You won't what about the geese?
Speaker 4: They were everywhere during the summer.
Speaker 1: But now now that it's cold. And by the way, to all the Republican officials who seem very confident that Trump isn't being serious when talking about extreme measures to defeat his enemies, he's already tried it. Remember that day he tried to overthrow the government. And I know it didn't work, But attempted murder isn't the same thing as never tried the murder. So we are left with this surreal idea that somehow Trump's absurdity renders him benign. We dismiss his threats because of how much fun he has expounded on the length and girth of Arnold Palmer's If only there was one dystopian moment from this past weekend that encapsulates this potent tincture of clownish campaigning mixed with authoritarian foreboding. Because I know shorter clips to better on the TikTok, give me, oh, I don't know a man in an apron at a drive through a window thoughtfully considering whether or not to future coup.
Speaker 5: Talking to reporters, Trump was asked about accepting the twenty twenty four election results either way?
Speaker 12: Will you accept the results of the election?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, if it's a fair election.
Speaker 6: Always, I would always accept them if it's got to be a fair election.
Speaker 1: First of all, how dare this reporter brazenly violate the no walking through a drive through rule? And second, how is Donald Trump in a McDonald's apron in the window of the bathroom restaurant talking about whether or not he'll overturn the popular vote real life?
Speaker 2: How is this real?
Speaker 1: Did we all die during COVID and is this some strange, surreal purgatory, or maybe AI has already sucked up the sum total of human achievement and endeavors, and what we're all experiencing are merely the crumbson detrites of human existence that AI thought, which is too weird to vacuum up. Maybe it's a dream. Maybe I'm in your dream or you're in my dream. I just I have to wake myself up. Wake up, John, wake wake up way, Oh my god, this is the weirdest dream. Donald Trump was dancing on stage, Ave Maria just swaying. They was making fries in McDonald's and running for president. Honey, that's Trump.
Speaker 7: They're eating the dogs, they're eating the catsh.
Speaker 1: What a back. But then tell my guest tonight, here's the governant a minute, sir, and Kamala Arison's running may please welcome to Democratic nominee for Vice president, Governor Timball.
Speaker 2: Sorry, very excited, very excited.
Speaker 1: Where you win.
Speaker 4: It's nice.
Speaker 1: It must be nice. That must be unless that must feel pretty good. Now let me ask you this. Actually she called your coach. Uh. Actually, tonight I talked to you, not as the Democratic nominee for vice president. But as a football coach, my giants got their asses kicked. There's gotta be something you could do.
Speaker 5: This should have kept shake one. Play the money, pay the money, pay the money.
Speaker 1: He's right, sque Well, thank you for being here. Is this the first non swing state that you've been in in the.
Speaker 5: Ben in a couple but mostly the swing states?
Speaker 1: Mostly the swing states? Are they at any point now when you show up because you saw the reaction that you got here, you're coming into New York. We haven't seen, honestly, but I should.
Speaker 3: But right now.
Speaker 1: When you roll into Pennsylvania, are they're just like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: No, they're excited. They are excited. Well, they know how much they know what's riding on this. I know that those swing states and those counties matter. It's targeted. They're doing the work. Woke up in Saginaw, Michigan yesterday, went to a union hall in the morning. One hundred and twenty folks down there, going out on a canvas.
Speaker 1: So I'm just going to tell you right there, there's no wooing for Saginaw.
Speaker 4: It's nice.
Speaker 1: It's nice, right, that guy knows it's not woo nice. It's when you go into these these places and you know, are you speaking now? It's rallies now where they're coming to see you, Like the listening tour stuff is over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well we're still you know, get to the union halls, stop in restaurants. That's what I do is eat on this most of the time. You can tell. So, but folks are still talking. And I know it's hard to imagine there's a lot of folks still deciding what they're going to do. I think, you know, the polling says there's no undecided voters. They're watching this, they're watching this craziness that you're seeing, and then they're seeing that this is serious stuff. And so I still think there is that opportunity just to just to chat with them, tell them what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Have you met people that appear to be somebody, because what I know of people who say, oh, I'm undecided, you talk to them for thirty seconds and you're like, oh, you're a libertarian. But it's they have what their their deal is already set up. They just sort of place themselves in this. I don't know yet have you felt but what's been an effective argument that you felt has pulled people closer to.
Speaker 5: You, Well, it's a lot of the folks I'm talking on that. They're folks that are probably they are Republicans, and they say it Republican introduces me in Omaha, he said, I can't stand with this guy anymore. That's not the Party of Reagan. This isn't freedom whatever it may be. It's a lot of those folks that are trying to find permission to get off the get off the megas stuff and move over. So they're still listening, they're finding a way.
Speaker 1: Is the concern that they have that a Harris Wall's you know, team would be too liberal or you know, is it do they point to, Oh, in Minnesota, you allowed tampons and different bathrooms and trans people were allowed to play sports, and oh my god, we're all going to be communists? Like what are they?
Speaker 5: Our children are eating breakfast or lunch?
Speaker 1: Right? But is that what is the what's the barrier?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What do you find? What do you find is the barrier to them being able to play them?
Speaker 5: For a lot of them, they'd never crossed over that line. I mean, it really is. And you can say it about you know, Liz Cheney and Dick Cheney and some of those that did show some courage to cross over. They don't agree. These are folks that were told that I'm historically Republican, I'm going to vote Republican. But they don't have a home anymore. And I think for a lot of cases they hear the noise that's out there. But that's why I'm out there talking to them. We're talking about tax cuts for middle class, talking about home ownership, talking about the one that I'll tell you really makes a difference, especially in rural areas, because it's an older population expanding home care for Medicare, and not that all of a sudden they're like, we let's ay, damn good idea.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you that may be my favorite it is that makes me my favorite policy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is mine.
Speaker 1: Because you know, when you think about you know, everybody wants to talk about it's the economy, stupid, and sometimes there is a sense that the government is not necessarily responsive, that there's a disconnect between kind of the legislators in Washington and all the lobbyists that surround them and the needs of people in their communities. Home health care, childcare, elder care, you know, education, hospitals.
Speaker 5: Rural one of those biggest issues that they don't have ambulances in rural areas in some cases.
Speaker 1: So yeah, how do you convince them that the things that will will be done in your administration will impact their lives in a tangible way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they need to feel it. I oftentimes talked about this as a teacher. You know, the Maslow's hierarchy is self actualization. You've got to have a lot of time on your hands money to self actualize. They're worried about and when they say that they're worried about the economy, believe them. They are worried about the economy or they're struggling. You can't tell them, well, inflation's down, interest rates are coming down. They need to see the tangible things that will make a difference. So talk to them what a six thousand dollars tax credit looks like as opposed to a Trump tariff that would add twenty percent. These are folks that want to find a reason to not vote for Donald Trump. We need to give them that. So I think in the midst of their hugret Yes, I said, coming out after that that opening, it is terrifying watching they're doing. But yeah, that's all distraction the Trump distraction of he is it is serious. He's not going to do You're not going to do any manufact But you know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting if I judge it from and again, New York's not a swing state, but we see the commercials. We're inundated with the commercials as well, mostly for down ballot races and things like that. But if I were to look at this as an alien stepping into this election, just from the commercials, I would think that Republicans vote on two things, stopping people from coming over the border and stopping trans people from playing sports, like those are the only two commercials that I've seen. And the Democrats, oddly enough, run on two things as well, stopping people coming in from the border. They've accepted it, like all the Democrats that are running for Congress and for other offices here in New York all talk about the border and then choice legislation, and you would think those are the only two things that are going on that anybody is talking about. So it's interesting to hear that one is one. It's more economy.
Speaker 5: Well, they ask people to rank the issues where they're at depending on where you rank it, and look, these guys figured it out early fear is a great short term motivator. I often say I supervised the high school in lunchroom. I know fear works, it doesn't, but it doesn't change behaviors. And I still believe that there's this aspirational piece and really listening to where people are at in small towns. These are not hateful people, but they're wondering where did their manufacturing jobs go. Well, Donald Trump shipped them overseas, you know, parffs and things like that. We need to make sure we're making the case that, look, here's how this is going to specifically impact you. We hear you about this.
Speaker 1: But I would think the Democrats are the one when you talk about ship shipping things overseas, you know, you would say NAFTA or free trade were the things that really hollowed out the manufacturing base. Now, investment in infrastructure and all that has brought a lot of it back, but that is kind of an albatross around Democrats. Next, which is our trade policies kind of helped this globalization.
Speaker 5: It's a fair argument, but I also think too that covid rechanged that the breaking of the change, you know, the supply chains and look, we can have fair trade. We produce more soybeans in Minnesota than we're going to eat. We need to have markets for them, but it needs to be fair making sure the jobs are here. I think that's the one thing when you talk to people, what are their aspirations? They want to have good jobs, they want to have safe communities, They wanted to have good schools, because again, these guys are going to go to voucherization of schools. Where are you going to find a private school in the town of four hundred like where I grew up? Where are you going to? Where are you going to find a hospital?
Speaker 1: You know, your Brave Naship book. Because we talk a lot about it's this red blue divide or it's these different things. What about the rural and urban divide? Because it really does seem as though policies for one group very difficult to apply to another group. And when we talk about even like with guns. You know, guns in rural America means a very different thing than guns in places where it's more densely populated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but dead children in their schools means the same thing in rural areas. And I think that pace. Look, I understand if that's happened. I won a congressional seat, the second Democrat in over one hundred years, in a red district. Donald Trump won that district by like seventeen points in twenty six Your district my district, and I still won again. I haven't changed them, and now that district has changed, what I win that district today would be a tough race, I think, as compared to where it was. But the issues have not changed for me. And I think this issue on guns, especially being a gun owner. Responsible gun owners know that you can protect Second Amendment, but your first responsibilities those kids, and you can do red flag laws, you can do extremerist protection orders, background checks, and you can do getting assault weapons out of the streets and all that you need on the detect So, you know, I think we make a mistake on that one.
Speaker 1: One of the real first qualifications of being a vice president is obviously rifle safety. I think, yes it is. You know, I can't think of a vice president in recent memory that used the shotgun irresponsibily. Not think I was a buy I'm not right. How is that the Cheney thing? Do we really have to do that? Look?
Speaker 5: I it goes broad in that look Bernie Sanders, Dick Cheney, Taylor Swift. No, no, no, no, no, no, no one having the Cheney's on board.
Speaker 1: Nah, you can't Dick Cheney or Taylor Swift. No, Dick, we're a big tilet country to Taylor Swift to get us to invade.
Speaker 5: No, no, don't. Don't you think though that and I do this. I believe this. There is still a core group of folks out there, you know, your point being and not that. Don't tread on me the Reagan piece of this, the libertarian piece, but the constitutional piece. There are a lot of people out there. I think. I think Liz Cheney and Dick Cheney give permission to those folks who want to find a reason to do the right thing. It doesn't mean they agree with this. We're not going to take their foreign policy decisions and discussions, you know, and implement those. We're going to take their.
Speaker 2: Yes problem.
Speaker 1: Any of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a stressful time.
Speaker 1: Time now for you you know is your day now you wake up? Are they hitting you with? You know? What we get inundated with is the polling data and uh, the you know, they're really digging down into each thing and it is quite frankly, the twenty four hours ratchet up. I think the anxiety around all of this is that what your day is like, are you protected from that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, somebody's doing that. They're sending me whether it's sagging on. Then I'll be off with tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this. We're going to be in Madison with consonant with President Obama tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You want, but we'll say to you, like, we've got the data in and today, if you don't get Betsy from outside of Bucks County by we're done.
Speaker 5: No, it's the yeah, but it's the overarching message of saying, look, we know that suburban women are deeply concerned, as they should be, and I will add to the men here, you should be deeply concerned about the choice sessions.
Speaker 2: Cool, it's less of that.
Speaker 5: My job is at this point in time to get those volunteers who are fired up and look, if you're in this mode and you can doom scroll through things and you can watch polls whatever. The antidote to that is just to make sure he's never elected again. To go out and do the work, to make sure we elect Kamala Harris action and get the work done action action.
Speaker 2: That's what my day is.
Speaker 1: How different has being on the national stage from being on Look, you've had a pretty long career, you know, in Congress, as governor. Now that you're on the national stage, has that changed your ability to do that sort of retail politicking that comes from more local things. What's been the difference?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, I think I'm still doing it. Like I said this that I have a skill set that I know it. I said. One thing is is I told people I said, I'm not that great a debater. I was a school teacher, so I'm trained to answer questions. You know, that's not a good debating skill to answer. You don't want to admit that, But I still think that reflection. What I'm most proud of is I love this. I think it was a Wall Street Journal did it. They did the financial disclosures and they said Tim Walls might be the poorest person to ever run. But surprisingly teachers, nurses, firefighter and stuff. It does give me an in with people. It gives me an end to talk to him about this. That why do you think I'm fighting for these policies for to find benefit pension plans, the ability to form a union, to make it easier to be in a union, right, because that's where I come from.
Speaker 1: See, I mean that's a fascinating thing because it's always struck me as odd. You know. I can remember a time, and I might have been in the twenty sixteen campaign, it might have been twenty twenty where Donald Trump Junior said about his father, he's a blue collar billionaire, and I was like, I'm pretty sure that's not a thing. I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 5: Think they make those Yeah, the busting it look and all the unions with us, they've got union politics that gets inside well.
Speaker 1: I have the unions, though, been more reluctant in this site.
Speaker 5: It's a they have tough politics inside those. These are folks that are directly responsible their members, and look they're members. Some of them split off. The bottom line is, how can you be with a guy who wants to bust a unions not there to make collective bargaining, the right not to make health care there?
Speaker 1: So, but that is the cognitive distance that I don't quite understand. So you're talking about some.
Speaker 5: Of those leaders that showed the courage they needed to A vast majority of union leaders showed the courage they're backing due.
Speaker 1: But you have you know, you have the truck drivers and the team stairs, and they might say, I'm pro Trump, I'm making America great, I'm putting on the heart out and all that. And he's locked in with a group that wants to bring automation to all those jobs. And I don't understand how it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's our job to do. We got to talk to folks better. We got to learn how to talk to them. We got to get out in there because that disconnected. And I always said, this is a teacher. If if my kids weren't getting the lesson a lot of them, it's probably because I wasn't teaching it as well as I needed to. So I am still of the belief that we have to do a better job. I think Kamala's message on the middle class opportunity, because you're right, we have a fifth you know, we have pages of this.
Speaker 1: Too much.
Speaker 2: It's too detailed. How hell get too much?
Speaker 5: How do you get a house? What's the tax cut look like for you? And what social security look like? We start talking to them. Look, the vast majority of union members, the vast majority of middle class folks know that so well, is.
Speaker 1: There a question? You know? In my mind, I always look at it like since Reagan, we've turned into a more of an investment economy as oppose we've turned away from kind of a labor economy. And I always wonder, if you know, we've got little things here, We've got a child tax credit, we've got some home health care, is there a bigger swing because it always seems to me that the working people, the answer to them is always, oh, you need better representation, you got to get a better union, you got to do another thing. Is there how to working people get that seat at the table where they get to participate in the shareholder economy? How come workers are not? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you you elect folks who come from the middle class. So no, like so for example, in Minnesota, it matters to people there. Now you get paid family medical leave. I know in some states you know that, but you get those types of things, and those are the things that workers are asking to have. You make it it truly is when it's easier to form a union, you take home more money, you have a better you have a better living style. And I think making sure they see that connection for the folks that are electing.
Speaker 1: And what's the proudest thing that you instituted in uh Minnesota during your time as governor?
Speaker 5: Free breakfast and lunch for kids the next tender woman they learn better out. Couple that with you know, early childhood, Couple that with paid family medical leave, whatever. And in the philosophy we have and this is what I know, common agrees. And you're either going to buy school buses and school meals or prison buses and prison meals. It makes more sense to book on the front end. You solve a lot of those problems.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we appreciate you you coming here. It's clear that a lot of our audience is undecided.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you. That guy's from Minnesota?
Speaker 1: Is that true? Oh?
Speaker 5: Saganaw? That guy's from Saga.
Speaker 1: Oh are you really from Saginaw? Yeah, no, he's not from Saginaw. While you're in New York City, any you got any plans you're going to do something? You know, people come in from the Midwestern times and they always ask me where should I go for maybe a slice of pizza?
Speaker 5: And well, you're going to all be shocked by this. I am an avid runner and I got to go in Central Park and do a run with Did.
Speaker 2: You run yeah? Is that the first time you went running in Central Park? Second time? Second time?
Speaker 5: After the debate? I went and ran in there. Did you really yeah? The next morning after.
Speaker 1: The debate you went to Central Pier.
Speaker 5: Was well, I needed that confirmation, people like, yeah, you kicked his butt, good job, you know whatever thought I needed that.
Speaker 1: You know, I lived in New York thirty five years. No one's ever given me that kind of confirmation. When I run around the park, it's a very different vibe.
Speaker 2: Where's off to next?
Speaker 1: What's what's the next? You're gonna go with Obama to Wisconsin, to Wisconsin, johnsin and then that last two week run. What does that look at?
Speaker 5: However they send me, I'll be I'm guessing Michigan, Pennsylvania, back and forth. My wife's down in Nevada. Uh, you know, we'll be in Georgia. We were in North Carolina in North Carolina with Bill Clinton the other day too, which was great to see. And we were there on the first day of early voting and the excitement, especially young kids voting. So we'll just bounce around, get foot the rat and got well.
Speaker 1: Very much appreciate you coming by and hanging out.
Speaker 2: Lamson's having his night closident as revenue ve Tay Craig Glass, what'd be right?
Speaker 1: I got to that.
Speaker 2: Comes Trucker tonight.
Speaker 1: Before we go, we're gonna check in with euros for the rest of the week, mister Michael cost the cost do what's coming up?
Speaker 2: Does win two people?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 13: You know by now we all know what Trump said about Arnold Palmer. But this week I'll be investigating other famous dead guys. Is junk for instance, Winston Churchill, John, let's just say that during the war he was getting double rations of hog All.
Speaker 5: Right, John, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't I didn't. I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Well, then then there's Einstein.
Speaker 13: Did you know that his upstairs brain wasn't his biggest?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I think we know what you mean.
Speaker 2: A lot of dead people.
Speaker 4: Here it is moment.
Speaker 7: We had fourteen million votes anyone, twenty two people running, twenty two Democrats are running.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at my hair up there.
Speaker 4: Let's say, oh, I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Excuse me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna recomb my hair.
Speaker 4: Do you mind I'll leave the stage for five minutes.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna recomb my hair.
Speaker 7: Mister future Senator, we have David down here.
Speaker 4: Mister future Senator, you gotta get them.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 2: Get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 5: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts