Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Made it to a Thursday hour one.
Speaker 2: The gangs here, the King of Comedy, Fritzie Seat and Marv Pauley, yours truly and the backroom guys, the Great Steve Young. A little later on Tom Pellisero Insider for NFL Network. We'll stop by as well. NFL teams introducing their new players. Aaron Rodgers and Cooper Cup are still free agents. We'll get an update coming up next hour eight seven seven three DP show. That's the phone number operator standing by to take your calls. Also, good morning to those watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app. That's our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country.
Speaker 3: Garage sale.
Speaker 2: Everything's on sale, clearing out inventory, getting some new product in there Danpatrick dot com you can pick up some sales there. First hour we're brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the show and works on National LTE Network. No subscriptions ever. Rate alternative for kids or parents. You can go to Rapid radios dot com get sixty percent off in free shipping. Stat of the day is always brought to you by Penini America Official trading cards of the Dan Patrick show men's bids last night. McNee State, American University and Montana no bids tonight. We are bidless tonight Thursday night, Thursday afternoon. A couple other items here. Mac Jones is going to the forty nine ers. So that was the Patriots to Jacksonville to now the forty nine ers. Still awaiting what the number is going to be for brock Perty, It'll start with a five. I was told this yesterday that Geno Smith going to the Raiders. Genosmith is going to get a new contract or at least an extension where Geno Smith might be making at least forty five million dollars. So while we look at this where the Raiders did well, they got Genosmith, they got some stability, it's going to cost them. Now we look at what Sam Darnold signed for. Now that's a bargain because fifty five million guaranteed out of a three or one hundred million dollar deal, you might have him for twenty seven and a half million dollars. I'll take that. You can start to rebuild your roster there. As for the Raiders, because the franchise tag is around forty one million dollars. Geno Smith is probably going to get a forty five million. You know, maybe it's two years ninety million, but Gino Smith's going to get paid by the Raiders from what I'm told. All Right, Well, come up with the poll question, play of the day, stat of the day. Watch some basketball. Last night, the Thunder beat the Celtics. They're now fifty four and twelve. And this is one of those games where you couple that with Denver losing at home to Minnesota SGA once again strengthening that MVP resume. The NBA find the Utah Jazz. Now I'm watching this story and I'm going I'm curious of this because Laurie Markinen, who is an All Star, he has sat out nine games. The NBA officially announced yesterday a one hundred thousand dollars fine for the Utah Jazz for sitting him out of the team's games. Now, like I said, being an All Star, now you're the focus of the NBA. They want to make sure that you're going to be playing, and they call them star players. Teams can be fined for star players, defined as any player who made an NBA All Star Game over the course of the last three seasons. And if you miss games, let's say you miss games nationally televised the NBA Cup games, or if a team representative says one thing about a player's absence while the official injury report says another. I was curious if Laurie Markinen was injured, Well, apparently he's not. Long term star players shut down or near shut down, which is defined as a star player stops playing or, in the judgment of the league office, begins to play in a materially reduced role, and this would affect the integrity of the game marketing. Has missed the Jazz last nine games due to a lower back injury, but is generally understood to be healthy and ready to play. Okay, he's got a who's the one who determined that he has a lower back injury? How do you prove that he doesn't have a lower back injury? And then who's the person who said, no, he's healthy and ready to play. If the league were to find the Jazz guilty of violating the policy a second time, it would be two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. A third offense would be one point two five million dollars. Each subsequent offense increases by a million dollars after the fine was announced. Laurie Markinen, what's made available to play in the Jazz game against the Medical.
Speaker 3: They're obviously tanking.
Speaker 2: They would love to get Cooper flag in Utah, but I don't know how that works.
Speaker 3: If somebody says, hey.
Speaker 2: We want you to sit down, like the competitor, I would I would be like, no, hey, we really need you to sit down. Yeah, but I'm healthy. Yeah, but for the good of the team. Can you sit out nine games with a lower back injury? And do they use the air quotes when they tell him you've got what's wrong with me?
Speaker 3: You've got a.
Speaker 2: Lower back injury? I do, Yes, You're gonna sit out for nine games. That's the stomach ache of school. You can't prove your stomach don Yeah, yes, done?
Speaker 4: And what goes into and or who's the panel in the League office that in the judgment of the League office and generally understood to be helping ready to play?
Speaker 5: Those are very vague terms that could use some more explanations.
Speaker 2: We did ask the League office, who's the one investigating this? Do you have an independent physician who flies all over the country and be like, all right, Lebron, bring out the groin. Let me see it, yes, Bowen. The Jazz are fifteen and fifty one.
Speaker 6: Since they started not starting Lari Markinin, they've lost nine of their last ten games, and their odds are increasing every day. When you look at this rule, don't you think it's the don't push it rule? Larry marketIn set nine straight games. If he set three games, played played a gun, and then set another three. I don't think they'll find them.
Speaker 3: I don't. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that they had somebody who is kind of in a clandestine role scene if something's nefarious going on. Wait a minute, let me look at you know, this is where somebody wins like a class action suits against somebody, Oh I was in a car accident, and then they have those you know cameras, those investigators that they see some guy where he's out there swinging the golf club or you know, he's changing tires on a semi and then they go, ah, we got you. I don't know if they're doing that with Lari Marketing, where they visit his home and go, let me see I took out the garbage. There's nothing wrong with his bag. Is this a good thing? I guess, I just I The shocking part is that Lari Marketing would go okay if he did, because I think you have to go to him and say you're not healthy. I'm not No, you've got a lower back injury. I do, Yes, you do, and we want you to sit out. We want to make sure you're healthy for next season and hopefully we get Cooper flag.
Speaker 3: Yes, Todd, it's well intended.
Speaker 4: By the league, and I could certainly appreciate that with all the load management and stuff. But I still don't understand how you fully can approve something like that. But he does somehow have a legitimate problem that doesn't show up in an X ray or the average physician report.
Speaker 2: I'm going to guess he doesn't have a legit of an injury. I'm guessing he might still have a lower back injury, but he's not allowed to sit out. Although didn't the Mavericks say with Anthony Davis with his injury, Now with Kyrie injured and they may shut him down, Well, why are you allowed to shut down Anthony Davis just because Kyrie got hurt? You need to uphold the competitive balance of the league. That Dallas can't go. Eh, we're just going to roll some guys out there. You still, if Anthony Davis is healthy, you need to put him in the lineup here, because what are you doing tanking?
Speaker 3: Ah, we'll just shut him down.
Speaker 2: We got nothing to play for, but teams playing you or teams hoping that you put up a good fight against the team they're competing for with the playoff spot. That's the competitive integrity of the game. Yes, Pom, do you think we need a name for this rule? I looked on the NBA's website. It's called the Player Participation Policy, and you know I don't like the literation PPP. No, my name is Paul Peppst. How about the Kawhi rule? We name it after a player? Is that mean spirited to name it the Kohi rule? Well, how many times have the Clippers been fined for I mean, Kawhi feels like he's always injured. When he's healthy is when they need to investigate.
Speaker 6: Okay, then, if you want to go back, the origin of this rule is twenty ten, the Spurs and Popovich were fined two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. It was precedent setting because it hadn't been done before. He set Duncan, Jenobili, Parker, and Danny Green in a nationally televised game against the Heat. That's the genesis of this entire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he told him to stay home. Now the game was in Miami. He's like, no, stay home. And then all of a sudden, it's like David Stern goes, oh, it's going to cost you. Maybe we call it the pop rule, but that's another p Yeah before peace, Yes, Seaton.
Speaker 7: I definitely didn't see it coming where. You know, the Utah Jazz they need to tank, so they're like, all right, better get market In out of there, then hit them, sit them.
Speaker 3: We got to lose these games.
Speaker 2: It's not like you go, boy, if we don't sit him, we're going to be winning a ton of games.
Speaker 7: We're just going to be rolling through the rest of the league if we.
Speaker 3: Don't sit him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's kind of like when I'm looking at this one article and they say Marketing is a quote star player.
Speaker 3: He has quotes around star player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god, I don't I don't know if a star players should have quotes around it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was an All.
Speaker 7: Star in twenty twenty three. Okay, it is star player air quotes.
Speaker 6: In this case, it has to have quotes because it's a designation, not an opinion.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, what if.
Speaker 4: A player has incentive clauses about how many games they played or what they're averaging? So like, what if a lowly marketing I don't know what his contract is, but what if he's getting affected financially by them telling him to.
Speaker 2: Sit, Well, he's not going to be an All Star or our first team, second team, third team, that's where you have to have sixty five games.
Speaker 3: But I was just kind of.
Speaker 2: Surprised that you think the opposition goes it's marketing plan.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Now we have a chance. You're the Utah Jazz, Yes, Marvin, and.
Speaker 8: They're doing all this just to get the eighth pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: No, maybe maybe higher than that. Where do they stand with the Wizards in New Orleans?
Speaker 8: Or maybe a message is saying, well.
Speaker 2: They got fifteen wins, they got fifteen wins the lottery.
Speaker 8: You never know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, Paul Washington has thirteen wins, Utah has fifteen, Charlotte sixteen, and New Orleans eighteen, Washington, Utah, and Charlotte as of right now, would each have a fourteen percent chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, number one overall. So you're saying we got a chance. But if you said to Cooper Flag, where do you want to go? He's from Maine, not going to the Celtics. If it's Washington, Utah, Maybe Charlotte because you've been at Duke. Maybe get to play with Alonzo ball not Lonzo Lamela LaMelo. I can't keep it straight, even though I should, because there's only one that's really good.
Speaker 3: Do you want to go to d C?
Speaker 8: No, No, it's almost like going to the Jets.
Speaker 3: I think it's worse than the Jets.
Speaker 8: Oh yes it is, yes for sure.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because I don't think the Wizards have won fifty games in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: You mean in a season, not total in your lifetime, Well.
Speaker 8: In a season. Yes, I don't think they've won fifty games in my life.
Speaker 2: Well, hear from Josh Allen coming up Seaton. What's poll question for hour one?
Speaker 7: It would be great if we I don't know if we have enough options for it. But the new name for that rule that you were just talking about, that would be a lot of fun. Maybe we can populate that a bit.
Speaker 3: Okay, pop.
Speaker 7: It so funny. We're like a bunch of seals in here. I said pop in the front row and we all saw the same pop.
Speaker 3: Pop pop pop.
Speaker 7: Did you just say pop pop?
Speaker 8: You pay us for this, twelve year olds?
Speaker 3: What other pole question might you have?
Speaker 7: Well, we haven't gotten into some of the quarterback situations. Yes, if the mac Jones going to the forty nine ers, Yeah, he is a more interesting fella than I think it appears on the surf.
Speaker 2: Do you think there'll be a thirty for thirty on mac Jones one day?
Speaker 7: This could be a chapter of it. This could be he is. He is a wonderful case study and how luck and timing play into a successful career.
Speaker 2: At that position. Absolutely, all right, let me take a break. We'll settle on a pole question eight seven seven to three DP show. We'll get phone calls coming up Steve Young. A little bit later on on the program, we'll hear from Josh Allen, who signed that new contract extension with the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com. Within the iHeartRadio app, search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 12: So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 12: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 12: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Celtics attempted sixty three three pointers last night against the Thunder in a loss. Now the most three point attempts in a game. Twenty nineteen, the Rockets had seventy three point attempts. The Rockets had sixty eight three point attempts that same year, and the Celtics was sixty three. That ties them with the Thunder and the Rockets again for the most in a non overtime game.
Speaker 3: All right, Static, what day sat of the day? That bus stat of the day, stat of the.
Speaker 12: Day, here comes that what stat.
Speaker 13: Of the day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by a Penni America, the official trading cards of the program. So the Celtics took sixty three of their ninety four shots from three point range, so two thirds more than two thirds of their shots were three pointers relying on jump shots. And that's a bigger reason. The Thunder, who took just twenty six fewer three point attempts than the Celtics, scored twenty three more free throws and scored fifteen more points. They shot twenty three more free throws and scored fifteen more points from the free throw live. I know the teams love to live and die by that three point shot, but I'm just surprised that the Celtics with it feels like now they do have great three point shooters. I think they now have four players who have had at least nine three pointers in a game this year. I don't know if you always have to go to that or play that way because you do have Tatum and Brown, Porzingis has been injured for a while, but I do have guys who can get to the hoop. I'm just surprised that the Celtics, and look, they may win another championship, but sixty three attempts feels a touch too much for me. And I still believe get a team in foul trouble get to the free throw row line. Those are things that help you later in the game. But Boston has been a great team and they're gonna live and die by the three point shot. All right, we'll have a poll question coming up. Mac Jones going to the forty nine ers. It's a good backup, you know, good backup for Brock Purty. I don't know if this is a Sam Darnold situation. Sam went there, had a pit stop with the Niners, and then went to Minnesota. Does Mac Jones get an opportunity? Maybe he gets to play a little bit there, and then all of a sudden you get another opportunity. And he had a good rookie season he did for a team that didn't surround him with much, and then all of a sudden it went downhill from there. And then you find out Bill Belichick didn't even want mac Jones as his quarterback. But Mac Jones going to the forty nine ers and Brock Purdy is waiting to get paid and is probably going to get you know, four for two hundred and something million dollars, five for two hundred and fifty million dollars, something like that, two hundred million guaranteed. Kind of crazy. Uh, we do have a whose stats?
Speaker 3: Would you want that?
Speaker 8: Who's that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'm bringing who sets back?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 7: This other road I don't know how to.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He thinks it's funny when you hit your sack squid.
Speaker 13: On his head and he did not react.
Speaker 7: Pat suck it for fools, Fritzy Bed.
Speaker 13: We'll let you pick something if you can't be Hay Who's do you want? Lebron Orange Jay?
Speaker 3: It's only who size makes me feel this word? Yeah, what happened to that?
Speaker 8: Dude?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Talk about a genius?
Speaker 3: Pretty good?
Speaker 7: Yeah, talk about an absolute genius.
Speaker 3: Do we have another whose stats? Song? To play? Marvins? You won't who stands?
Speaker 12: Who knows it?
Speaker 3: It's too early in the morning.
Speaker 5: For Yeah, sounds like Marge Simpson.
Speaker 2: See it sounds like you doing Marge Simpson doing whose stance?
Speaker 5: I thought it was a pretty good line.
Speaker 3: Tesh, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 8: Ton?
Speaker 3: That's what else do you have?
Speaker 8: That's all I happened more?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I thought we had he fretty babe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, maybe we need more who.
Speaker 13: Whose stats? What'd you want? Tell me? Tell me, tell me who stands? Whose stats? Who'd you want?
Speaker 3: That's the og, isn't it?
Speaker 8: I believe?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe we need more whose stance? Maybe maybe we don't know? Play of the day?
Speaker 3: But whose stance would you want? All right, Paulie? Whose stance do we want?
Speaker 13: Here?
Speaker 8: You go?
Speaker 6: Quarterback one four seasons, twenty and twenty nine as a starter, fifty four touchdown passes and forty four picks in career. He started one playoff game, he had two touchdowns and two picks. As a rookie, he finished second for Offensive Rookie of the Year. He was a Pro Bowl alternate once. That's quarterback one. Quarterback two. Four seasons in the pros twenty two to thirty eight as a starter, so nine more losses, sixty nine touchdown passes, and forty six picks. Started two playoff games. In those games, he had five touchdowns and five picks. He did not finish top three for Offensive Rookie of the Year. He was a Pro Bowl alternate once, just like the other guy. So quarterback one or quarterback.
Speaker 3: Two one is Mac Jones.
Speaker 8: Quarterback one is Mac Jones.
Speaker 3: Okay, Quarterback two Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 8: Quarterback two is Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay. Very similar careers.
Speaker 6: A few more touchdowns because he played many more games Trevor Lawrence, but they are very similar in overall career.
Speaker 2: Wow, Trevor making a sizably larger amount of money with his contract than MATC.
Speaker 3: Jones.
Speaker 2: Is at what point, like Trevor Lawrence, we're getting to the point. I mean, he already got paid, but we're getting to the point where you go is he on the clock. And I know he got the contract, but still at some point you got diminishing returns.
Speaker 3: Here twenty two and thirty eight is a starter.
Speaker 2: Sixty nine tds, forty six picks, two playoff games, five tds, five picks. All right, but you're spending a lot of money on him. I know it's not all on him, but still we focus in on the quarterback. That's why they get paid fifty million. Getting banged up. Now you've got a new coach, yet another coach. That's another thing with stability. Stability for a quarter is you're going to a team that already has the shell or the nucleus to be a good team, or they already are a good team. Look at some of the great quarterbacks in history. Now, the Buffalo Bills, you know, they had made I think the playoffs the previous year that Josh Allen went there. Tom Brady went to a good organization. Patrick Mahomes went to a good organization. Joe Montana went to a team that was in the you know, on the verge of being a great team. Lamar went to a good team. You know, Troy Aikman did not. But it took a while for them to become a super Bowl champion team. But you're going to find that there's a correlation. I think with most of these great quarterbacks, you went to a team that was good or the verge of being good, or on the verge of being great. And Trevor Lawrence, you know, they did have that moment, but that was twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: But still you got to get more out of your quarterback.
Speaker 2: But having stability there, your offensive coordinator and your head coach are so important. And it's the luck of the draw. Sometimes if I'm a quarterback, I'd rather be drafted later because I'm going to a better team.
Speaker 3: But also.
Speaker 2: You're still going to get paid eventually. Let's say you don't get your money in that first you know, three or four years, if you're on a good team and you're good, you're going to get paid. You can be a good quarterback on a bad team. You might not get paid. They might go, you know what, let's try to get another quarterback. He's expendable. You know, Shdor Sanders might benefit more than cam Ward. I did have an my NFL scout friend says to me last night, he goes, hey, I think you're you're sleeping on Tennessee. I go, what do you mean sleeping? He goes, I think they can be a playoff caliber team. And I go, are you sleeping right now?
Speaker 12: Are we talking.
Speaker 3: About the University of Tennessee?
Speaker 2: He goes, No, he goes, he goes, every year, we always talk about a couple of teams to keep an eye on. He goes, You've been ahead of the curve with a few of these. I said, Okay, I don't think I'm going to be all Definitely, I'll be the only one on the curve. I'm not going to take a pie of the face. By the way, Fritzy goes, hey, I dressed down today because I have to take a pie of the face and Seton goes, how would we tell that you dressed down?
Speaker 3: Basically, you wore a T shirt.
Speaker 7: It kind of looks exactly to say this. Tod dresses every day.
Speaker 4: The sweatpants are a little older than I normally wear, and then maybe a little rip in the crotch.
Speaker 5: Other than that, it's basically.
Speaker 7: This secks exactly what you wore yesterday, Todd.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin dressed down a little bit too. He has to take a pie to the face as well. A little bit later on. But you dress nicer when you dress down, you think so, yeah, yeah, yeah, like I wouldn't consider that dressing down, but for you, yeah.
Speaker 9: Maybe it's only because it's something I would also possibly wear to bed.
Speaker 8: Oh, the old old thermal.
Speaker 2: I don't need to know about that. Todd doesn't wear anything to bed, so.
Speaker 8: Oh, I definitely didn't even know that.
Speaker 5: With a little low maine by the side tables.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I have a low maine by the side table.
Speaker 4: Fill a coffee table with a little low maine right just by the side of the bed there where the clock is, and I put my phone down, and then there's some some fried rice.
Speaker 3: You're joking, I am joking, okay, good, not completely joking.
Speaker 2: You're saying you have had low maine or fried rice next to the bed.
Speaker 5: I've been known to have.
Speaker 4: A box of Milla wafers and a fruit punch gatorade to the side of the bed. I tried not to do that as much as I used to.
Speaker 7: Like, if your wife is away in your solo exactly.
Speaker 4: Definitely, yeah, yeah, pizza baca on the floor in the bedroom.
Speaker 8: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not even in the kitchen. What are you to be bringing it up to the room.
Speaker 8: That's sad.
Speaker 5: That is craping pep rowingy off the box.
Speaker 3: That's sad, very sad. David in Michigan, David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hey, Danny Paul if I've been crazy? So I've got a Big Ten b Bolls stat of the day for you guys.
Speaker 13: All right, So.
Speaker 14: Dating all the way back to the year twenty twenty five years, there's only been two teams that have won the Big Ten regular season title without a first or second team All American player. Obviously, my guys in it this year Michigan State. Can you guys name the other? Want to take a shot of it?
Speaker 2: All right, So it's a team that didn't have a first or second team All Conference.
Speaker 3: All American, All Big Tens Okay, All Big Tens.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, okay, I didn't expect this trivia question today.
Speaker 3: I guess give me the year here, David.
Speaker 14: Back in twenty twenty, the Pesky Badgers flopped their way too shared title without you need all their all the gun players.
Speaker 2: So wait, I thought you were just giving me the year. He gave me the answer, didn't you. Yeah, I help you, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 8: David, you just got a guitar strum?
Speaker 3: What what was that? What just happened?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's a trivia question, and I'll give you the answer.
Speaker 15: Yes.
Speaker 7: People on social media are comparing the resurgence of the Who's Stats songs to the current revival that Creed is going through. Oh Creed got so unpopular that now they're popular again. It's kind of like the whose Stats are love it Nickelback all of a sudden booking massive venues because people are like, now, you know what, screw you guys. I like that photograph song and I'm gonna support it. They're having a massive resurgence too.
Speaker 3: Let's see Chris in Massachusetts. Hi Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: The AdPT long time six foot hard one hard, So I got to cheat. I took our boys there five and seven. We went and saw some thrilling Hockey East action last night, and my, my, poor Merrior Mac Warriors lost and double overtime. And I was just curious to all the dads there, what's the rule of thumb If if you're on a school night and you've got a game going into double overtimes, you keep the kids up late. We ended up peeling out after the first overtime period, and they ended up losing in double overtime. So I was curious, what you guys do there.
Speaker 3: Well on in the playoff game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm okay on a school night that you decide, you know, because sometimes hockey games can go into four or five overtimes.
Speaker 3: Yes to.
Speaker 5: You can't be a quitter. You got to teach your kid.
Speaker 4: You got to stay with it, just like if you join a team, you know, don all of a sudden the middle of the season because the team's not doing well, I don't want to play anymore. Ride it through to the end, and if you're exhausted the next morning, then so be it. You can't just leave. You gotta wait to see the outcome. You're at the game. You took the time to get the snacks and the souperinirs and sit in the parking lot and drive and buy the tickets.
Speaker 5: You can't just leave while the game is still undecided. That's how I feel.
Speaker 3: Back to you gonna see thank you, Todd, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 9: And when your kids are adults, they're not gonna remember the next day of school, They're gonna remember that night. They their Dad took them to a double overtime game at Merrimac, and I can remember that random Thursday morning, and you think.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go dad.
Speaker 2: Remember remember we left that hockey game when we were six and eight. It's like, yep, you guys won't let me forget that. We're gonna stay. Tell mom We're staying until the very end, no matter what. Uh Tim in Texas? Hi Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Good morning?
Speaker 15: Everybody?
Speaker 17: That a long time. So I wanted to touch base on the rule, the uh rest players rules in d NBA. I think it's just like lack of incentives, and I wanted to ask you all, which is more possible. One the d NBA implementing promotional relegations like international soccer, or two the teams, like the bottom three teams in each conference plays for the top six order in the next NBA draft, just because like there needs to be incentive because like if you see like international soccer, you see like the teams that are about to get relegated, they tend to be more you know, all in in the last couple of weeks of the season. So yeah, I just want to get your thoughts on that, And yeah, you'll have a good.
Speaker 13: Day, all right.
Speaker 2: I brought this up before, might have brought it up to the commissioner a couple of years ago. Could you have the bottom two teams play each other for the number one pick? Could you have the bottom four teams play? And then you know, once again, you can add this there. There's a real tune in factor. If you have bad teams playing for the chance to draft the number one player, you get Cooper Flag. The Cooper Flag sweepstakes have Cooper Flag there. You're going to tune into that. And let's say you have four teams. So let's say the worst team plays the fourth worst whatever hellever then or you have the two worst teams and then the other two teams and then they played for the number one pick in the draft. But the NBA loves the build up to the lottery. Once again, they're in the entertainment business. That's a tune in factor. But if you said, I'm watching these games where these guys have to play hard, now, you may not want to watch Utah versus Washington. I would if I knew. Imagine that's the game and Cooper Flag is there where the winner gets Cooper Flag. It's pretty good, it's pretty good. All of a sudden, you bring out the podium. Cooper flag is there. You know, he's waving to the crown.
Speaker 8: He's the trophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he is the trophy. They walk off holding up Cooper flag.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let the merchandising opportunities be good, yes, Dodd.
Speaker 4: But then the team that finishes last in that tournament is going to say, see, that's.
Speaker 8: Why we deserve to have Cooper Flagg.
Speaker 5: We're the worst team.
Speaker 4: We should have the number one pick. We tried and we proved that we're the worst of that group of four. So why are they getting him?
Speaker 9: Marvin, And there's a bunch of guys playing that won't be on the team the next season. All right, we'll playing one. You won't be here, you won't be playing with Cooper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, More phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com.
Speaker 3: Twitter handle the TP Show. Up next, it's our play of the day.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 6: Oh my God, The Day.
Speaker 15: The Day.
Speaker 13: Us out Bridges.
Speaker 18: Nick bright Heart gets it right back to Bridges. Bridges puts a crypto, I'm about a double bang NIXT Radio Network, Mike Green on the call Mkale.
Speaker 2: Bridges ends with thirty three five mixed starters scoring in double figures.
Speaker 3: That's your play of the day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by tire rac dot com.
Speaker 3: The official tire expert of the DP show.
Speaker 2: Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan try the tire Decision Guide, full lineup of general tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire ract dot com the way tire bind should be. Speaking of whose stats would you want? Pauli has a musical Whose stats would you want?
Speaker 13: Who stands? Whose stats would you want? Tell me? Tell me they tell me who stas? Who stats would you want?
Speaker 6: Quickly Dan, because we brought up Band's less segment. Band one five singles on the Billboard Chart in their career, one number one Billboard hit, twenty four million album sales just in the US, ban two seven singles on the Billboard Charts, one number one hit and twenty eight million album sales in the US.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say one is Creed.
Speaker 8: Which one and one or band.
Speaker 2: Two only choices, I'm gonna say, banned one is Creed, Ban two is Creed.
Speaker 6: Oh twenty eight million album sales in the US.
Speaker 3: Alone, Banned one is Nickelback. That is correct.
Speaker 6: So if you went Scoreboard read over Nickelback, Okay, it's eating your thoughts on that.
Speaker 7: So would I rather be creator Nickelback?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Man, I think I'd rather be Creed.
Speaker 3: Because I think I'd rather be Creed.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they at least had, like I can see why people really like Creed.
Speaker 3: But can you see why people didn't really like Nickelback.
Speaker 7: I don't really know. There's not really a lot about Nickelback that I find a feeling. Oh personally, no offense, They're just definitely they're definitely not my even from just the way the lead singer holds his guitar sucks.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: Creed just they soared to heights and just never really came back to reality. And I'm kind of okay with that.
Speaker 2: But do you think when Scott Stapp was doing arms wide open that maybe he just he was up too high, like he was breathing in rarefied air and was never able to come back down and decompress.
Speaker 7: I think so. I think sometimes you get so famous you go crazy, and I think he may have, you know, may have gotten that famous.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: But now they've had a resurgence. Nickelback has a really good documentary that I got to see. But Creed's coming back around playing to big crowns.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's stadiums, but yeah, they're back, Yeah, yeah, yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: Billboard magazine had an article ranking bands in successful how successful business wise, and two to twenty ten Nickelback was number one.
Speaker 3: Made some dough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they played to arenas. I mean they played probably still playing two arenas. I just don't know what happens when all of a sudden, you know, Hoody and the Blowfish went through this that they were a big deal, and then all of a sudden people were like turned against them. And I remember talking to the guitar player, Mark Bryant, and he said, you know, we're somewlayre in like Maryland, and it said honk if you hate Hoody and he's like he sees this bumper sticker, he goes.
Speaker 3: What did we do to you?
Speaker 18: Like?
Speaker 2: You people almost felt like godly they made me buy this CD. You know, it's one of the top ten selling CDs maybe of all time top fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, that isn't That isn't why people hate the songs or hate the band. It's when you don't like the band and you don't like the songs and you can't escape it. That's when you're like, God, I can't stand this band because I don't really like it, but I hear it everywhere. That's the problem. It's not really the people who bought the CD. It's everybody who didn't buy the CD. But still here's the music constantly. You're like, good God with this band already. That's what the problem is. Well, who's in that category? Who's in that category?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 7: Imagine Dragons Probably they're the modern day Hootie Slash. Yeah. I think there's a category two of band that separates the Creed Nickelback thing where you get forced to defend your band, and sometimes dudes do it very hostily. I don't feel like Creed ever really defended themselves. They were kind of like, I don't really care if you don't like it or not.
Speaker 3: Nickelback were like, what got band?
Speaker 7: And You're like, all right, dude, yes you sing. Photograph dude, chill out, you know, like smash Mouth was the same way, like that, dude. Unfortunately alri Ip he went right down to the very last day, was like fist fighting people over I'm a believer covers. Oh my god, I know you sang the Shrek song, dude, like chill out. Bro right, don't take it that seriously. You're gonna bring back a song by the Monkeys. Yes, I hesitate to bring this up. But Green Day ninety four one of the top ten selling albums in US history, twenty million for their debut, at least their breakout.
Speaker 6: Album, I call it not debut. Did they They cooled off, but I don't know if they ever got the blowback blowback.
Speaker 3: I don't think people turned against Nick or Green Day.
Speaker 7: I don't think so. They kind of they had a massive album and then the next like two, three, four, five, six maybe weren't very good, and then all of a sudden they had that other album that just American idiot I think just went like went crazy, you know. So they they've had a really interesting career. But they also had a time though, where Billy Joe was like fighting people over his band and they're like, all right, dude, chill out.
Speaker 2: You're a pop punk bin Marvin. Can you give me a little American idiot?
Speaker 8: Don't want to be Amerricane idiot?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 9: What's the other that had a really huge that Boulevard Broken Dreams, that song wow everywhere? Yeah, in my head it went like so when I come around in ninety four and then I didn't hear from them again until Boulevard Broken Dreams was Green.
Speaker 2: Day's Back or when wake Me when October and September Stember, oh September, Dang, my bad.
Speaker 9: Sorry, Uh, it's something I'm prettydictable.
Speaker 2: Wrong, Okay, I'm going to have the time of my life. I know I gotta be careful here, but I did go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to see their exhibit. Uh, Lucas in Texas, Hi Lucas. We'll hear from Josh Allen coming up top of next hour.
Speaker 13: Hey Louke, Hey.
Speaker 3: Dang, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 16: Two quick things, if you'll allow me. The first off, you mentioned a couple of days ago that logically you've never listened to the whole music of your own show, and as someone who has, I'd love for you to put or figure out who put that together because I think in respect for your love of the born identity. One of the musics is the kind of dramatic theme right at the end of the first Born Identity movie.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty cool, but.
Speaker 16: A question y'all were talking earlier about a certain danet's dress code, and it brought up a question for me because I've been wondering, wondering this ever since Dylan made an appearance on camera. Who dresses and I don't even know the adjective is it better or worse between Todd and Dylan. This is something that's really been perplexing me for a few weeks now.
Speaker 2: Dylan does have a certain style. Fritzy doesn't. I think Fritzy takes whatever he sees when he goes to the closet. But Dylan actually plans his outfit, his wardrobe. I don't know if Todd, I mean Todd might if we have somebody on from a particular team, then he might have a jersey. You might have a sweatshirt, but I don't know. If there's a lot of preparing going on for your wardrobe.
Speaker 4: That's fair, but I try to come up with something theme related, like you said, But other than that, whatever's not in the in the laundry, I'm gonna throw on.
Speaker 7: Yeah see, yeah, I was gonna say I don't think anybody puts more thought into how they dressed than Todd, because it'll be like, hey, did you see the Lakers won by fifty eight points. Look, I'm wearing a fifty eight jersey with purple socks and yellow streets like, oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, one hour in the books, two more to go. More of what we had in first hour coming up? Oh yeah, and we'll hear from Josh Allen