Speaker 1: I feel like I should be singing just the two of us.
Speaker 2: I know we could start off like that.
Speaker 1: I like that, but that's the only part of the song I know. I know that I asked the two of us, we can make it up. We try just the two of us. You and do you know, for the longest time, I thought that was Will Smith's song. I'm not gonna be embarrassed. It's like Al Green or somebody somebody, not Will Smith, like one of those old soul singers. So I'm sorry. Hope, there goes my phone. Listen, my two best friends are still texting me. This is a text just came in about this whole Beyonce Lemonade situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't wait for this.
Speaker 1: I woke up to like thirty five. What's funny? Well, yeah, we're going, So we're can just talk about it now. So let's just do it.
Speaker 2: Did our singing that's important today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got this. Yeah we're going.
Speaker 2: We're going, Okay, okay, So yeah, so Lemonade, I know my bestie was like, first of all, it was hilarious. So I for some reason I could not find HBO like on my TV, and so I saw my bestie on Facebook was like I'm watching Lemonade and getting my life. I was like, oh my god, I can't find it. It's not on my HBO. She was like, call the cable company. That's how serious it was. But I seriously considered it. But I googled and I found it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I actually didn't watch it live. On Saturday. I went out and had a couple of cocktails, and I got back and fell promptly asleep because that's how I party now. And so I woke up at like six am and I went out and I watched it by myself, which I'm really happy about, Like no one yelling at me, no one saying y'all sent my ear, like I have friends who had viewing parties. It was like emotional experience, and it was I'm glad that I had it, like, you know, by myself in my little quiet place.
Speaker 2: I see I did it the wrong way because I finally got to watch it, but when I started watching, it was already halfway done. So I was so confused, like what's happening, you know? And then it really wasn't until I realized, oh, this is like a visual representation of her album and then I found it online and while Superman was sleeping last night, I watched it and I was like, oh, so I had already gotten like all the hype, all the whatever out of the way because I hadn't even seen Serena. And I was like, oh, okay, I'm you know, at first, I was like I don't get it, but then after watching the whole thing in its entirety, I was like, I can dig it.
Speaker 1: I mean you got yeah, you gotta watch the entire thing in order.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you do. And honestly, overall, I could definitely say I liked it. You know that I was there definitely parts where I'm like huh or but I the vibe, the transition that she's making, I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: You know. It made Formation make so much more sense. It like gave context for Formation. But it also I felt like was so much deeper than what Formation was.
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure, what I'm.
Speaker 1: Worried about once what I've been hearing. I mean, first of all, like I loved it. I thought it was her best music she's put out, Like, there were some really interesting collaborations on this, and it wasn't just like, you know, the weekend Kendrick Lamar. Maybe people would have seen that coming. But like James Blake and the country song, I don't know who did that country song with her. I fucking loved it. I was like, okay, country Beyonce.
Speaker 2: Country Beyonce with the braids, Let's ride on the horse. Yes, So there was a song. Was it Freedom at the end? Which on the stage? That song I loved.
Speaker 1: That was with Kendrick. Well, that was just nothing but black girl power. I mean, you had Zenda, you had and forget me. I don't know all the names of the famous women, but I know that ballerina dancer was famous person. I know Coven Jenny Wallace was there. She was like holding Blue Ivy's hand.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, oh, that was just and I'm not gonna lie. I totally shed a tear when you know, when the women were holding their lost sons or their sons so ugh. Yes, it was like, honestly, I just you know, I lost it. I was like, oh my god, it just was so and I kept I literally felt myself saying aloud, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, because you know, you don't see the women behind the boys who die. You don't see in the media, all you see is the picture of the young boy and maybe the cop, but you don't. I think people forget that, you know, there's a mother who raised these kids and had to bury them. And that was that was really poignant for me.
Speaker 2: I cried to you, yes, and honestly, I was like, oh, we'll be out there with this outfit, with this Onenkora outfit in European cuts. Yes, I am here for it. I just love that.
Speaker 1: Was that the one where the big BILLOWI like Victorian style dress, but it was like an African print.
Speaker 2: So they call that ancre like okay, and so, like you what I love about OnCore is that you can, you know, the print is so clearly African, and the fun thing to do with it is to cut it in ways that are traditionally not African, you know. So it's like I have so many like Oncre outfits, like you know, made specially and you could just make a mini skirt, but it's on care a fat you know, fabric, so it just looks so dope. Because actually I think it was the met the Costume Institute. I think they had like a whole like I don't remember if it was like a display or whatever, but it was that kind of like look it was the African print on care print, and then everyone was wearing traditional European kind of like old school Victorian outfits, but with that print, which was so dope.
Speaker 1: That was like, and we got hints of that from Formation. I feel like a little bit, but this video just blew everything out of the water everything. You know, I feel like I can already sense I mean not to be I'm like kind of defensive against Beyonce. Like as soon as I watched Lemonade and I knew how much I loved it, I was like, people are gonna try and tear me down. They're gonna try and say it wasn't that good. So you know, my friend and we've had Jessica on the show before, so of course there was a text message started starting with her and my other best friend, and I just did. I ignored my phone all day. I was like, let me just sit in my feelings before before I have to go and defend her.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: But you know what's surprising is they were. Jess was on board. She liked it really, but you know, her argument in so many women's argument or so many people like Beyonce haters or not haters, but you know, people who aren't so much fans, all they say is, how is she empowering women? She's running around into two two and like a leotard and she's talking about twerking and freakom dresses, and they say her music doesn't really say anything. And now all I have to do is just push play on Lemonade.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and I just you know, I'm not gonna lie. I considered getting titled for that free one month just so I can like sit and listen without the visuals, just to kind of let it soak in, because they were definitely some songs and I was like, what like the song when she was like put your middle fing I was like, oh am, just her face and her yes.
Speaker 1: But oh Serena, oh my god, Serena. Oh I just yeah. It was just such a rollercoature of emotions.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was like, Yes, when Beyonce came out with the fur cole the swag in that segment of Lemonade, I was like, if this woman's swag is not on the thousand, I don't know what is.
Speaker 1: I think the title of that chapter was anger. Yeah, it came through.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, oh, sorry, Becky.
Speaker 1: First of all, did you see? Oh go ahead, let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about how the internet's the beehive how to read?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes you saw? Okay, Rachel Ray.
Speaker 2: So for those of you who are like what, so beehive is like the people that follow Beyonce and they are vicious. I mean the high will will sing you to death. So apparently people thought the Becky with the with the good hair, well, if you haven't watched the Lemonade, sorry spoiler alert. So it basically implies that that jay Z cheated on her and people is an understatement.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the scarlet letter on his face. Yeah, tattoos it.
Speaker 2: And then supposedly it's supposed to be with Rachel Roy, who is She's a fashion designer, right, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know who she is. I didn't know before this whole thing came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think she's a fashion designer. And you know, I thought she was married to Dame Dash at one point. They have a kid, which that's jay Z's ex best friend. Anyway, So Rachel Roy is like a fashion designer. She's beautiful. I think she looks like I want to say that she could be uh, Indian maybe Pakistani, that's you know that like in that kind of flavor. But she's beautiful. And so people are saying, remember when Salange beat jay Z down in the elevator m hm, So they're saying that that was it was because of that, because he had been inappropriate with her. And so Rachel Roy posted like something like right after lemonade about having good hair, and so everybody was like, oh, it is you. But unfortunately there's a Rachel Ray who's this cute little Italian woman that cooks.
Speaker 1: What I would say, it's arguably the bigger star.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely as far as like more mainstream. Yeah, so that's probably why they found her. So they thought Rachel Ray, who's this little Italian woman was Rachel Roy, and they went to her harassing that.
Speaker 1: Of all the people, the most wholesome, like all American food network star Rachel Ray, who has a talk show that comes out of like three PM, I've.
Speaker 2: Never been in any trouble, never any proparazzi anything, never. I know. She was like, what's going on, guys? And she's so cute. She's got like all these little nicknames for things like instead of like she calls what is that stuff like olive oil, like oh yeah, oh, she's just so cute, and like, I know she was like why why are people attacking me? Go ahead?
Speaker 1: I saw one meme that was like Becky with the good chili.
Speaker 2: So I was reading some of the stuff that people were posting, and once they realized it was the wrong person, one somebody actually said, as a member of the Beehive Committee, we sincerely apologize. Oh my god, honestly that I mean. I literally laughed out loud. I was dying. I'm like, y'all be high both, y'all don't know what to stop. Don't come for me because I love Beyonce and I'm just saying that I should be.
Speaker 1: What we should be asking is like why are they going after the woman anyway? Like jay Z is the one who cheated exactly. You know what's crazy. I was trying to understand why the whole entire video, the movie was like getting to me emotionally, and I mean I mean towards the end, I was a mess. When the moms of the black men who died with jay Z's mom grandmother giving that speech about lemonade, when it finally clicked for me, what the hell lemonade meant and where the lemonade was coming in Like all that was very emotional, but it was like I've never been cheated on before. But I think what got me emotionally and why I connected with it so much is the fact that no relationship is perfect. And I felt like for the first time in my issue with Beyonce has always been she is so calculated. She is so put together. Every word, every session, every flip of her hair is planned. It felt like, and I'm you know, you don't see her raw or admitting mistakes as often at all, And so for me, it was like this perfect woman is being so vulnerable, is so raw and open. You know, if what she's singing is true, you know that actually happened, and it really seems like it did, like and that was just really touching for me, and it sort of gave me permission to not try and pretend like everything in my life is going one hundred percent when it's not.
Speaker 2: No. I think that's what touched me too, because you're right, Beyonce Solange has long since been considered the sister that is like just like opening real and vulnerable. You know, Solanjould be like what girl by, you know, but Beyonce was always so I don't know, just so well put together. She just seemed like nothing was ever wrong, like you said, And even after that whole like you know, them fighting in the elevator, she didn't come forth and say anything. And so for this to come out and for her to just be so open with sharing that, like, yo, stuff is not always perfect. There's times where I was gonna leave. I've been cheated on, and I'm not gonna lie. I have cheated in my twenties. It was not a good good look. And so I could see both sides, and I'm just like a either way, it's just nice to see that she's showing women that, like, you know, things don't have to be perfect. Somebody wrote, I think I was watching like a BuzzFeed video. Someone was like, you know, she's weak, why would she stay? And I'm like, oh, it's just so easy for people to just make decisions, you know, or to judge based upon.
Speaker 1: This pert stupid. Did you watch anything have you? Beyonce is like the antithesis of weakness.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and honestly too, I just feel like everyone decides, everyone decides what they're willing to put up with and what they're not and to me, especially as you get older, I'm realizing there's no rhyme or reason.
Speaker 2: People just decide for themselves. And you know, there's plenty of my friends who are with guys who I'm like, if it was me, I probably wouldn't stay. But I'm sure plenty of my friends look at me and they're like, well, if it was me, I wouldn't stay. We all have our own stuff that we're willing to put up with, and I just think it's just for everyone to decide for themselves. It's not for me to judge you. To me, I always tell my sisters and friends, as long as he's not hurting you physically and like you know, emotionally and mentally, it's not my business. Like you know, I'm not here to judge me. I'm here to listen and be your friend. But now if you tell me that you know he punched me, he pushed me, then I'm like, girl, we're coming to get you, you know. But other than that, like my friends know that if you're like, oh, we got into an argument because I just didn't like the fact that I'm always doing the dishes and he doesn't help, and I'm not here to be like, girl leave them. You know everybody has a girl leaving friends.
Speaker 1: Oh that was me. Oh yeah, that was me and my like teens and twenties. I was so extreme, right, like you mean he was five minutes late?
Speaker 2: Why girl? But he wears blue on Tuesday? Mmm?
Speaker 1: Girl leave them?
Speaker 2: And so I learned, like you don't tell the girl leaving friend anything, and like I'm the friend who's always like, well, I mean, you know, you got just need to talk about it. You got your talk, you know, cause I'm like, been there, done that without anybody. Especially it's always the girl eaving friends sometimes that never has anybody, you.
Speaker 1: Know, because you expect too much out of out of one person.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They're not going to be perfect. Lord knows, I am not. Honey. I look at that mirror and I'm like, WHOA, thank you, superman, because i.
Speaker 1: Know that's what love is. And oh that song when you know what's I'm really about the words and lyrics. And it was really like fun for me because I studied literature in college and poetry and I haven't done that in a long time. But I sat down and I read the lyrics. I had the captions turned on so I can really understand what she was saying. And when I got out of it wasn't just that jay Z cheated or whoever she's talking about cheated, but it was about the like the difference in power, about how he was intimidated. And also there was a part where she talks about how he didn't think that he deserved to have something work out for him in life, and that really touched me and I and towards the end, you know, she talks about being well. This part was the poetry, Oh who was a poet? Worse on the Somali poet? Who the who? Did all the interludes, Beyonce read her poetry in between every song. There's one line in her poetry. First of all, that poetry is beautiful and I never heard of her before. There's one part where she's talking about I'm the mother of your children, living and dead, and I was thinking, that's right, Beyonce had a miscarriage, Yeah, wow, and another hello, I'm human moment and I thought it was beautiful. And I don't think we'll ever hear Beyonce, Like, I don't think she'll write a memoir. She's not going to go on the own network Super Soul Sunday and talk about Lemonade. I think she's leaving everything in the music like she has only now she's saying more than she ever has through the music. And I feel kind of like proud of her in a way for growing up.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah that's how I felt too. I thought like, wow, this is very womanish, you know, of her. And I just love the fact that a lot of the stuff that people were saying for years and she kind of ignored. She addressed like her clearly.
Speaker 1: Pregnant with blue Yes, yes exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean like you could see her face, her nose, her boobs or something like there's not a prosthetic, but people, you know, like just like addressing those things like girlh bye, like just.
Speaker 1: And shake out it in the music. In the music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, just even just addressing like you know, everybody knows that there's issues with her father, but like it's even like addressing that that.
Speaker 1: Song could have been called Daddy Issues. What was it called daddy? That was the country one Daddy lessons?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what you can't when it's someone's personal story like that and they're sharing it and they're being vulnerable. You can't you almost can't even judge it. It's like this is her personal story, it's her interpretation she put her I mean this took so much work, every thought, every detail, you know that that was. It makes me feel like, what have I done lately?
Speaker 2: Well have you?
Speaker 1: I have? I've barely gone to the gym today, Like.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'd be proud of me. And this is like random, but I'm like, I've been walking like two or three miles a day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, do you go uh with Superman? Or is it like a solo thing?
Speaker 2: So honestly, I've just been using It's almost like meditation. I forgot how much I like to walk, so I've just been now. It makes me want to get a fitbit, but I just use like the Nike app on my phone.
Speaker 1: If you could a fitbit. You just seemed to be prepared. Because I'll add you as a friend and I get really competitive.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna say you're like the way you said? He said if you get a fit bit, you see that dot dot dot probably Like I'm.
Speaker 1: Just letting you know because you can challenge people.
Speaker 2: I know, But you know you don't want this though, because it ain't nothing for me to walk like four miles in a day. It's nothing. Okay, I got it. We could do this, now, we could.
Speaker 1: You don't mean that's only eight thousand steps. You gotta Oh, okay, you know what. My dad actually been kicking my buttlt my fifbit broke, so I've been out of the game for about a week. But uh, you know, when I'm on my when I was at the height of my fitbit rain, I was doing like twenty five thirty thousand steps a day, which means I was walking everywhere, no trains, and then running after work and then going on elliptical before work. And I was only because my friend Diana, if she's listening out there, because she was like training for a half marathon, and I got really I got in this like tunnel vision insane competitive zone. It wasn't a healthy place. I don't recommend it. I was like, can sing.
Speaker 2: But it's just like you know, if my sister calls it stacking, and I've started to just like implement this in my life that like you know, when you want to make a transition and you're like, oh, I want to eat my exercise this and that She's like no, don't do it all at one time. You're never gonna keep up. She's like, just stacked, just say, you know what, I'm gonna have a salad like you know, like once a day or whatever. And then once you do that for a few weeks and you're like, you know, I'm gonna have a salad and I'm gonna go for a walk because the salad becomes normal. And then you just start walking and then you're like, Okay, the walking is normal, the salad is normal. Well, let me add on yoga in the morning. And so now I've stacked about four things, like I'm eating better. The eating came first, then I got the personal trainer, had her for a while. Now I'm walking and I just added yoga. So four things that I normally, if I would have done them all at once, I would not be able to keep up. But because I stacked them and reach the place where like one of the blocks in my stack was normal before I added another block, I'm like, y'all feel so good. I'm like, yo, Tidney, Yeah, you're like totally adulting.
Speaker 1: Did you read that book The Power of Habit?
Speaker 2: No? Is it good?
Speaker 1: It's kind of about that. Yeah, it's all about how you build habits, how some people are able to break bad habits and then replace them with good habits. It's really good. It's written by Charles Dowig. I don't know if I'm saying, all right, du higg. And it came out only a few years ago and it was a big hit. It's like got a Yellow Book cover. I recommend it. It's good.
Speaker 2: It's we need to go back to recommending books again. That's a good one. The Power of Habits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we haven't even talked about this was a big week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's sad.
Speaker 1: There is highs and lows. High being Lemonade high, Harriet Tubman and her place on the twenty dollar bill, which I thought was awesome. What I didn't think was awesome is like, so not the entire bill, like the back of it, She's not going to be on or something like that was happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also too, I thought it was weird because it's not going to come out for like another like seventeen years, isn't it like what thirty? Yeah, somebody was like telling me. I was like, let me google, let me see the Googles. So I don't quote me, but it's not something that's happening right away.
Speaker 1: Is that because it takes so long to get the current twenties out of circulation or something?
Speaker 2: I don't even know. I was just like, wait, they didn't tell us all these things, so I said, let me get to googling before I say for sure. But from what I remember, like having a chit chat about with someone, they were like, it's not happening right away.
Speaker 1: Well, I see it says in the Washington in the Wall Street Journal. It'll be could be in circulation as soon as twenty twenty. Okay, well that's not so so yeah, not so bad. It'll be here. The fact that it's even happening is maja exactly, Maychel, maycha?
Speaker 2: And then did you see the poor means of like the young girl who it's like some young girl from Disney. It's a young brown girl. I forget her name, but they put her face on Harriet Tuban's face on Fire Tubmans sitting like in her picture her Like if there's like two pictures of Harriet Tubban like floating, you know, there's one of her standing and there's one of her sitting, and her face is hilarious. And it says, well, master thinks she's gonna bring his dinner, but you out tonight with Harriet. Ah. I was like, yo, the memes they kill me.
Speaker 1: One that I saw was where it's like you're gonna have a really hard time spending like thirty bucks on that new top when you have Harriet say it looking at you saying you don't need that top.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like it like goes closer than Harry at like closer closer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, And they're describe they.
Speaker 2: Have a picture of like Harry, like her pictures being taken. She's like standing and they're like on top of said Harriet says, how do I look? And the photographer says like money. Oh, these memes are everything. Honestly, memes are like memes make me happy. Like if I'm having a bad day, I'll just take like a mean break and like just make myself happy and giggle again.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel about Guess how gifts they make you? How did I even communicate before gifts? I don't understand. No, I replied to emails with like, just gifts and they get so many emotions across. I don't like if a picture says a thousand words. A meme says a million. All right, we have to talk about Prince real quick. This is a very like music themed it is buzzworthy. Prince passed away this week. Yeah, my father is still in mourning.
Speaker 2: Did they ever I remember? I know more and more details are coming. I know they just cremated his body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the autopsy was done, but they're not going to have like toxicology results for a couple of weeks, a few weeks, I think. Okay, but it's just also sad, you know, it's I saw somebody there was speaking of memes, there was one about like how someone put someone wrap Stevie Wonder and bubble wrap because he's the last one we have. I thought that was kind of sexist, because there's other amazing female like classic female singers from the past that we still have a living Yeah, Aretha, we still have Pylo Bell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love what is her name, Anita Baker? Oh my gosh, that's my favorites.
Speaker 1: And I love Diana Ross. Like I mean, there's some great women still in power. But yeah, it was it was pretty devastating, and there's not many, you know, my entire newsroom. We were all just like it was right during lunch when we heard and it was just on TMZ at that point, and everyone just like dropped what they were eating and we were like, what is happening? What is life? I call my dad and he said, you know, He's like, okay, I'll call you back later. He was really upset. And then I called him later and he's like, it's okay, I still have you and your little brother. I was like like Prince was his third child or something like that. That's how much he loved him.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, my dad like every Christmas, my dad would have us sit down and watch since the Super Bowl since Prince did the halftime show, when was that two thousand and I don't know, like ten was it? Has it been ten years since he did the Super Bowl? Anyway, my dad had that on DHS and he made us watch it. But then before that, we would watch Purple Rain and he had Michael Jackson's Bad Tour and he had Michael and Prince's Tour on VHS and we would watch that like every holiday. Oh, I know, so it's special and we're actually we had already planned on dancing to a print song for our father daughter dance. So now I'll even be more like he thought he's going to be a mess. He's going to be a mess.
Speaker 2: Oh between Prince and just giving you away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dad and emotions. I told you when my fiance proposed to me and he called my dad for permission the day before, and my dad like hung up on him because he couldn't understand, Like he couldn't he couldn't like metabolize the feels that he was feeling. He's just like, I gotta call you back. And eight hours later he finally called back.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Your dad is like, so what you're taking my daughter aware?
Speaker 1: No, you know, he's just he doesn't Some people just don't know how to like process emotions.
Speaker 2: It's okay now that it's cute, and you know, because so many daughters don't necessarily have their dads in their life or like, you know, really.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, you know what all this is happening. You know, yesterday, well, Prince dying was one thing, but yesterday I found out one of my friends who I I did a lot of Hurricane Katrina relief when I was in college, and it was a big part of like I have a lot of friendships from that experience. And one of the guys that I was friends with but I fell out of touch with recently passed away yesterday and we all kind of found out he died from cancer. And it's always moments like that where I'm like, oh, dang, it's like, so we should just be lucky that we're just you know here, Yeah, you know, I wud get to live and beautiful day outside. I have friends and family and you know, just can't take any of that for granted.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know. It was one of my friends was a photographer. I was following him on Instagram and he goes to India quite often. I think he's half Indian. So he had a picture of this little girl laughing and he said, ah, to feel joy like this, I mean you could. The joy was visceral, like you could see it leaping out of her face and her eyes and her you know, you ever see a kid like really like nothing has happened, but they're just like mid laugh. Yeah. Yeah. And I told myself, I'm like, I'm still looking. I'm trying to find that picture. I can't seem to find it because I want to put it on my cell phone from when I'm like, you know, like bitching about something unimportant to like look at this little girl and she's probably laughing at next like nothing, you know, a dog running across the street, maybe her brother comes into view or whatever, and just it brings this level of joy force from her, and I just want to I want to be like that more because I'm sure we were all like that as kids. And then you forget like that, all of these things that don't mean much start to like take over, and you're like, really, this is why you're pissed off because you know somebody in the email said this, like in this grand scheme of things, what does that even matter?
Speaker 1: Right? You grow up and you just tell yourself things matter that don't really matter. You need things that you don't really need.
Speaker 2: Exactly, or just like yeah in the end, or even I try to tell myself if someone says something negative about me, I'm like, well, I guarantee you to me, there are people saying negative stuff about you that you just never found out, So either way it don't matter. You know, it's just like now you just know that this person said it, but you didn't know yesterday you were fine, so girl, keep living?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what do you mean to make lemonade out of lemons? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that we should definitely name this week's episode Lemonade lemonade Lemonada.
Speaker 1: I don't know why it took me so long to get it. I was like, oh, I get it. She made a bad situation a good situation lemons and lemonade. I didn't get it until miss Hattie cout it.
Speaker 2: I had gotten it. I was like, oh, I figured because I was like, well lemonade, Well, you know what, the only the only kind of like thing I know when people talk about lemonade is you know, turning lemons from lemonade. So I figured that's what it was going to be about. But I didn't.
Speaker 1: I want to see, you're smarter than me. I was just like, wait, summertime lemonade. That sounds delicious.
Speaker 2: Well, first I didn't what was going on. People are like, Lemonade's going to be on and I'm like, what does that even mean? You might have gone and said, like barstool, we'd be on that. Like I didn't have any contacts, you know. Bet it doesn't explain herself She's like, look, either you watch barstool or you don't man any other buzzing thing tell them, but.
Speaker 1: Bye, no, I think I think we've we've expired or buzzworthy.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: We used it all on Beyonce and Harriet and Prince Oh oh wait, wait a second. On the opposite spectrum of black beauty and power. Did you see the viral Instagram posts that Little Kim posted? And I knew you were going to say that, what is happening?
Speaker 2: I don't know, honestly, somebody. First of all, my best friend texted to me, said, new phone. Who it is? And I'm not gonna lie. At first, I was like, why is she texting me? This random white woman? And I just looked at it, and I kept looking at it and I'm like wait. And then slowly it's like the realization started creeping up from my heart and I was like, please, don't.
Speaker 1: I had not seen it it was her, I wouldn't have known it.
Speaker 2: Was her for real. What's going on?
Speaker 1: And it seems like it happened overnight. I don't know. I like, I pause before judging, because it's like, Okay, she is her own person. If she wants to do that, then fine, but it you know, someone had a reference in earlier. She had an interview she had done like several years ago about how insecure she is and how a guy she was with had left her for a woman who you know, looked more European and she'd always be more you know, insecure about her looks. And it just made me sad. You know, it makes me sad that anyone would want to go to such great lengths to change the person they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw that too. I thought it was like the meme when they did that, and I was just like, oh man, yeah, honestly, it's just because Little Kim really was a pioneer. I mean she is, she's still here. She's a pioneer in hip hop. You know. She people women weren't speaking out sexually in like lyrics and hip hop, you know, and not to say, I mean whether that's good or bad. The fact that she did it, you know, there would be no Nicki Minaj, there would be no basically all these other new young rappers, Trina, all of them, like she made it cool, funky, okay to be aggressive like men on you know, just albums and songs and just to see that like all of that women empowerment talk just to see it look like this and you wonder, like, ah, man, like she honest see there's a video of her talking and her face is not even like moving. It looks like it's just straight plastic.
Speaker 1: Who looks painful. Yeah, I hope she find someone who loves her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for who she is by now.
Speaker 1: So it makes you want to makes me want to go hugg a little girl somewhere.
Speaker 2: All right, Hey, brown beauty, you know you're beautiful, right, That's why we always tell supergirls so beautiful. But sometimes you got to slow up because Supergirl is singing Supergirls like Tippy. Everybody at school just loves me. You think it's because I'm so cute.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know, you created a monster, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: You know what, we don't let you have that because Supergirl it's super chocolate ly. She's got like super beautiful kinky hair, and she's like a little bit chunky. And so I want Supergirl to just know that exactly how she is is exactly how she ought to be.
Speaker 1: I don't just how her watch Lemonade.
Speaker 2: Exactly well, and I don't know about all that she already first, I don't know. Let me. Just before Supergirl had to do a report for Black History, they told them to pick somebody from history that's inspiring. People pick Harry Tupman, Martin Luther King, and like they had to do a presentation. This girl picked Beyonce. Yeah, and that had the nerve to do a visual representation like a little dance. Everybody else has like a little poster this is King, this is such and such. No, Supergirl got up there and sang like one of Beyonce's songs with a little shimmy. It was like her mother didn't even know it was came to like see her presentation. Was like, girl, I'm in the audience, like I know, my baby's not up here with the outside you know what. I love it. I was like, she's like what she is at Black History.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true. Yes, Brown, I'm trying to figure out if I should be positive or not positive this week, positive or not positive?
Speaker 2: Taking a brown break?
Speaker 1: Oh you are?
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this morning I woke up at six am, and not because I wanted to, but because the same kids, three kids every single morning and from six to seven are outside screaming their lungs out because their grandma apparently every single morning at six am puts them out and makes them wait for the bus. She puts them out like an hour early. I guess yes, and they play in the front, and you know, they're kids, so they're just like just obnoxiously loud. They range from age like six to nine, you know, so all you hear at six am is now and you're like, oh my gosh, and you're like, what should I do because you know I've opened the window. I'm like, hey, guys, can't keep it down. And they're always really respectful Sien City, but they're kids. So after another five minutes, they're back to like giggling like little animals, and you're just like, we've spoken to grandma. Grandma's like, girl, don't I gonna care about your sleep? I'm getting mine.
Speaker 1: Really, she didn't care what no one doesn't care.
Speaker 2: So we're like, we can't shoot me. So I'm just taking a brown break from the giggle giggling kids outside my window every six am. I don't know what to do about it. I'm like, should I put in headphones? Earphones? Because Grandma's like I put them out for a reason, because so I don't have to hear their giggling.
Speaker 1: Sorry, my god's too early for all that.
Speaker 2: It is, honestly, And I'm like, so it is.
Speaker 1: That's the hard part of living in a city as you live all up on each other, so everyone's noise is your noise exactly.
Speaker 2: So I'm just trying to figure out, like what do we do.
Speaker 1: Like I heard a mom yesterday giving her son like the greatest lecture about how he was a thirty year old man and he needed to start paying rent. And I wanted to like get outside my window a clap for her. Oh my god, I could hear everything. It was like eleven in the morning. I mean, I'm just out just down the street, and her voice carried right up to the fourth floor.
Speaker 2: Yo, that is hilarious.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: I know you were like, wouldn't that be terrible? He would have been so embassed if you'd have been like, you tell them.
Speaker 1: I know that's part of the Like when I moved to New York, when I just taking the train home, we have an above ground train and I can see people laying out getting sun. I can see them walking their dogs, like the dogs lounging like it. She's just this. This city is like so big and you everyone lives in their own little world, but we're all living in each other's world and you can just it's beautiful. But then also kind of creepy it is because she's like, who's looking at me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's looking at you? Kids? So yeah, that's great. I'm roundbreaking from city noises, say that, so it's not I don't also sound terrible saying I'm brown breaking from kids.
Speaker 1: Well I have to do, you know, I'm gonna do. This could be a boost, it could also be a win. But I'm just going to call out. So the Pulitzer Prizes were announced last week, God has already been last week, the eighteenth of April, And there was two stories that I thought, first of all, how the heck did I not read this story when it first came out. I feel crazy for not doing that. But the prize this year for service journalism Public Service Award went to the Wash to the Associated Press, and they wrote a story about modern day slavery in Asia, where like people were treated like slaves and made to work and go fishing and fish the shrimp and the fish that we get in the grocery store, all that warm water fish from Asia and based on their report, they ended up leading to the freeing of two thousand slaves like modern day slaves. I I kind of get what Maybe I saw this headline and just kept going because I feel like you try and ignore the really terrible headlines every once in a while. But I think it's worth like it's just worth it to read it and not just to read it and feel the people's pain, like real people who were slaves in twenty sixteen, but then to also know that because of this writing this report that you know, hundreds and thousands of slaves were were freed, which was great. And another one to follow up with, I would say, the other story that I read, which I had not heard about, there was a woman in Afghanistan last year. Her name was Farkunda. And Farkunda you know, in Afghanistan, it's a very patriarchal society, I mean, incredibly religious. The Muslim faith is just like so intense there and it's considered one of the highest crimes to burn a koran. Right, so woman was falsely a falsely accused This woman named Farkunda falsely accused by a man of burning a Koran and from zoo to one hundred and like five minutes, She's being attacked by hundreds of men. She's being pummeled with stone, she's being stomped on. Police are there, and they're not even helping her. You know. She falls back into the crowd and they just kind of watch her as she's being mutilated by this entire crowd. And it's so hard to watch. I mean, I feel kind of bad, but I feel like it's it should be required viewing for anyone who you know, cares about women and women's rights to see a woman just like treated like this by men in broad daylight on cell phone cameras. No one was ever. I don't think to this day people have been sentenced for any crimes. I think a few people have stood trial, but I think they got a very lesser sentence than what it could have been. And she ended up dying. And this happened about a year ago, and the New York Times won the Pulitzer for a report they did on it in December. Anyway, it's just really harrowing and it is sad, and it will grip you by the throat and by the heart. But I think that we need to not turn a blind eye to that kind of suffering, and I just I recommend it and I thought that was just it's great to see what good journalism can do, because if not for this story, there's a chance you never would have known for Kunda's name, and there's not It's not just for Kunda. That's the thing, Like, this is one woman and there are so many other women around the world who are brutalized. I mean, we still haven't found those young girls in Nigeria.
Speaker 2: Exactly or just even like, did you see the story about uh who was so heartbreaking about the girls who got into a fight in the bathroom and they just I just was like, can you imagine that you send your daughter to school, she gets into a fight over a boy, and you know, I know the girls didn't mean to obviously take her life, because you don't think about that. You know, you're not thinking, hey, we're actually going to kill her, but they took her life.
Speaker 1: I'm sure somebody was there yelling world star hip hop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thinking like it's nothing. And now the truth in matter is more than one girl died that day in the bathroom. How many of those girls' lives are now taken? You know, that they're going to be locked away for a very long time as a result of this one stupid fight over a boy. So now she is physically dead with now you've killed your future. You know that was a Yeah, it just.
Speaker 1: So I'll make that a brown break against women, violence against women by women, by men, by anybody. It's it's just it needs to stop, especially in schools. Yeah, all right, Well, that's sorry for the downer. I'll bring it back up by promise in the next segment.
Speaker 2: So, do we have a question.
Speaker 1: We have a question for today. I need to pull it up rock quick. It's a good question. It's about debt. And this was interesting to me because actually got a similar question from someone at at our Yahoo email earlier this week, and it's about what happens when your debt is charged off and what a charge off is. I'm not going to use her name because she doesn't say whether or not we can use it. We'll just call her Charlotte. Okay. So Charlotte says, I've been steadily working to improve my credit score over the last couple of years, and at the moment, I only have two true debts to worry about. A personal loan that I owed to my parents that's currently under one thousand dollars and another credit card or sorry, unfortunately, a private student loan that is in a closed derogatory status. It's been charged off on one of my credit reports. This debt has been charged off as a bad debt and transferred to a collections agency. In addition to getting a JAB, my focus is on how I should go about addressing this debt to better my credit score. I've read that I should wait until it falls off my credit report after seven years, which would be in twenty eighteen. Should I do this or is there something else I could do to address and somewhat resolve this matter on my credit report? Additionally, should I try and locate and reach out to the collection agency to make a repayment plan or try for settlement? Oh, Charlotte, this is the worst. I mean.
Speaker 2: So let's maybe left the tack of first, what is a charge?
Speaker 1: What's a charg job? So there's a couple of stages that your debt goes through when you stop making a payment on it. There's like the thirty day stage, which is when you probably get a call from your credit card company or your private student lender and they're like, hey, what's up. You missed a payment? Yeah, as a courtesy call. Then once it gets past one hundred and eighty days, that lender or that credit card company is going to look at your account and say, listen, this person hasn't paid in months. We're going to sell it to a debt collector and have them deal with it.
Speaker 2: So that's basically when they are basically when they've basically said, we're not getting our money. That's what a charge off is is like when they're just basically like, yeah, we're just kind of throwing our hands up. We're not going to get it. So we're just gonna, basically, like Mandy said, sell it to someone else now now that it's charged off. So what's really important right with the charge off is that you have to know that if they sell your debt to someone now, they don't own it. So a lot of people make this mistake. I've seen this. I don't know if you've seen this manny that people will owe Like let's just say they owe Sears and then Sears charges it off in solves it to Tom and them, and then people want to go back and pay Sears, but Sears doesn't own that debt anymore. Correct, Ye, And so if you pay sears, Now, this is what I've seen, which is terrible, and not that I'm not picking on sears. Won't call them sears, We'll just call it jeers. If you pay gears, jeers might actually take your money. But guess who used to? Oh the person they told it to.
Speaker 1: Oh does that really happened?
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's happened.
Speaker 1: Oh you can't do that, No, no, no, post it.
Speaker 2: But I've seen, especially like hospitals, I've seen that happen a lot, that people will pay the original creditor, the creditor will take the money, and then you find out that they weren't supposed to, and now you're fighting to get your money back because you're supposed to pay the person they sold it to.
Speaker 1: Oh, or don't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The really horrible thing about, you know, having your debt charge off, is that it is going to go on your credit report. And at that point, it's not like I think. What I hear is people think, Okay, it's been charged off, so I don't have to deal with it anymore. Yeah you do. It's still on your credit report. You still owe the debt. In some states, there's a statute of limitations on how long the debt collector can wait to sue you for a debt, but it can be like ten years, so it's very likely you still owe that debt. They can still sue you for it and take you to court.
Speaker 2: In New Jersey, New York, I know it's six years.
Speaker 1: It's a six years okay, well in.
Speaker 2: New Jersey and New York. But you're right, it's Some states are ten, some states are four. But I don't know where Charlotte lives. But in New Jersey and New York it's six years that they have to sue you. But they have all these tricks that they do. So some of my friends work for debt election agencies. Hag her on. You know you're going to hell right anyway for them, But they schooled me into showing, well, this is what they'll do. So after six years of inactivity, meaning like you have not paid or you have not promised to pay, some debt collectors will do this. They'll actually make a dollar payment for you so they can start the clock all over again. Isn't that terrible? It is super shady, And she's like some of my friends who've told me, Like I said, who worked for debt collectors are like, so just be mindful that they have all these tricks to make sure that your statute of limitation never goes up. Because if they take you to court and win, they can garnish wages, they can do a whole bunch of stuff, like you know, they can actually petition your bank and say, hey, that money in her bank account. We kind of need some of that because we have this, we have this win from the courts that say that we're able to take some money. You just never know. So, but I will say this, if it's if she if seven years is twenty eighteen at this stage in the game, that sometimes paying old debt at this stage in the game is more harmful than good. So like, but explain, So here's why. Because so let's just say she said it was twenty twenty or whatever. I'm like, well, girl, deal with it. But now that basically in a year and a half, it's gonna fall off. So if she lives in New York and New Jersey, what that means in six months she's out of the suable range because that will be her six years and then after one more year, which is seven years, it should fall off. And so if she makes a payment now and honestly debt that's usually within the first two years, that's the debt that's really dragging your score down, that new debt. So if debt is five six years old and then so it's not affecting your credit, it's much because it's so old. If you make a payment on super old debt, you make it new again, so all of a sudden, that whole charge off is new again and starts to bring down your score more. I've seen a lot of people do that with old debt. Now, now there's like a moral moral quite compass that you kind of have to decide for yourself. But just know that if you're paying on old debt, you're making that old debt new and relevant, and it actually might do more harm than good. So just be mindful about paying a really old debt. All of my friends who are in like credit restoration always tell me that that you should focus on the new stuff first. Take care of that, because that's really the thing that's affecting your score, not that that's five six, seven years old.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll say, when it comes to like getting rid of a debt, I mean, let's say they're suing you, I mean, debt collectors can I mean, as long as it's still been as long as she's still within the statue limitations, she can. She's still a free game for them to sue her. And that can happen, especially with student loans. And if that comes the case you, settling is probably the best option. And settling is especially if the debt's been it's been years since you've paid, made a payment, and these debt collectors bought your debt for probably I mean definitely a lot less than what the original balance was owed, so they'll be willing to settle for you, probably for a lot less than the original balance, as long as you are ready with like a big lump sum payment right then and there. And I would recommend that, like if she does, if it does come down to her getting sued, or if she just wants to get rid of this, reach out to them, open a dialogue and see if they can, if they can come to an agreement on the settlement.
Speaker 2: I honestly I'm recommending to opposite becakay only because so if they have not reached out to you, meaning that now, if they're reaching out to you and they're talking to you, definitely have a conversation back.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm wondering, because she doesn't say that, and I find it really hard to believe that she hasn't gotten any information from them. She says, should I try and reach out to the collection agency.
Speaker 2: That means they're not reaching out to her. No, that happens often, so say like, for whatever reason, see yourselves as to Tom. Tom's sells it to Sarah, Sarah sells it to Marvin, and Marvin just doesn't get in around to calling you or by then, you've moved so many times they have not been able to place you a lot of times that that will happen debt collectors, debt will kind of die, and it's not that it dies, it becomes what they call zombie debt past a certain past the statute of limitations. So you know, we all watch Walking Dead. Zombies are like alive but dead. So it's like the debt is dead in that they cannot legally use the courts to try to distract extract that money from you. But technically do you still owe yes. So that's why I said I would if they're not contacting you, I would leave it, let it fall off, and I instead would work on your current financial situation, because that's really where like if you're paying your bills on time, how much debt you have right now, that's really where you're going to make the most difference.
Speaker 1: With your with the only house this personal loan to her parents. So if she could be focusing on this other debt, she could be I mean, and I guess another hypothetical situation is oh where did my train go? That you too just let the station like that go.
Speaker 2: Thought saying this is Mandy that it's even worse if she doesn't have the other day. So your credit in your credit score and your credit report, it's really an average of your activity. So if you are only taking one class in school, it's jim and you get a and Jim you have an AGPA, you get a D in GM, you have a DGPA. Right, So this one thing that she kind of has right now because it's old, even though she might have an f in it, it's not it's it's not as relevant as anything that she might do like moving forward. So like she might want to get a secured card or whatever it is. She might have student loans that she's paying off or whatever. But if she goes back and kind of hits up that old teacher and says, hey, what about that f I got he said, oh yeah, I forgot about that. Let's make it new and relevant again. So now all of a sudden, she doesn't have anything to balance out that as she has no other credit history. So now she's going to she's literally going to bring her score dramatically down because she's going to make something that because even paying it off is not gonna make it right for her, because she's still credit history is history meaning that you did not pay all of this time, that's not going to disappear just because you paid. Paying it honestly is not going to raise her score. Paying is actually going to lower her score because paying it off is not going to do anything other than make it new again to say, hey, this is a person who did not pay all this time. That's why I'm just saying, you want to just be mindful that, Yeah, you can pay it off, but it's not going to do anything for your score except for bringing down because you're making old history that's negative new and you don't have anything else to balance it out with. You don't have any other credit cards or any other things that you've done to show even though I messed up in this one place, I'm doing good over here. So it would just behoove her, like, in my opinion, to just get a secured card, start building credit history so you have other things on your credit.
Speaker 1: She could approve for that if she has this, you know, yeah, six year old debt. That's my thing, Like secured card is one thing. But I mean she doesn't say this either, But if you're, you know, trying to get an apartment or you're trying to get a car loan and you have this debt on your credit report, you can get denied or get stuck with a super high interest rate. And I feel like in that case, showing that you've made a good faith effort to start repaying on it would be.
Speaker 2: Better, I guess, I mean, or showing that like you know what what security cause. Remember the purpose of secured card is to give credit to folks who otherwise would be left out of the credit system. So you don't have to have like a great credit score in order to get a security card. You know, that's the purpose. So I would at least look into it, see like well, what's the lowest score that I'm able to? Go to your bank or your credit union. That's the best place to look for a secured card and ask, or if you can't, if your bank or your credit union does it offer secured cards, go to magnify Money. They've got a great list of secured cards and see, like, well what I could What I love to about Magnifying Money is that you can put in your information, like your credit score and stuff. And what they'll do is they will they will say, yeah, you're likely to be approved or you know, you're not likely. So I would work on building you know, your credit up versus like you know, dredging up the Also just because if you're if you're I don't know what her credit score is. But so let's just say, like because when I was a landlord, I would look at your credit score, not necessarily your credit report. So if your credit score is uh, you know, your credit score is decent, then you know, I'm just trying to think of like my train of thought. So if your credit score, if her credit score is only okay, she can bring it up further by by you know, getting a secured card and raising her credit.
Speaker 1: Score yeah, that would be a process too, because almost you have to make payments every month and after a year though, well offer you the line of credit.
Speaker 2: After a few months, like for example, Superman had a secured card. Superman had a secure card and he after three months he was able to bring his score up about a hundred points because that when he only had the security card. And that's what we talked about, like credit is an average. So because he didn't have a whole bunch of different credit like you know, accounts open, he had that one secured card, so all he had to do was do right by that one card. And when I met him, he was like in the low six hundreds. And just just this morning he woke up, he was like, babe, my credit score is seven sixty, so that's been like in a year. But honestly he jumped up to like a I say a seven to twenty after a few months. So secure cars can work fairly quickly if you don't have a lot of credit under your belt, you know, so as a tool, yeah, they are as good as a tool. So honestly, she's in a great position. If you don't have a lot of credit accounts, then opening up one good one is going to do a world of good, but having one bad one is going to do a world of bad. So because like I said, it's an average, So the smaller amount that you have, the more each individual account it's going to have a different make a difference.
Speaker 1: I agree with that for sure. All Right, miss Charlotte, good luck.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know she's like, but so wait, what am I supposed to do? I'm like, girl, I don't know, just according to Mandy, Mandy said, hey, reach out in a paid off. According to me, I'm like, girl, if they're not calling, you, don't call them. Go get yourself a security card and make your life right. So you have to make a decision either way.
Speaker 1: I'm really surprised that if they're not harassing her like they typically do, I'd be surprised. But I guess when you're a student, it's a lot heard from the track you because you don't have, like you probably don't have, you know, your own house and in a permanent address room to come find you, so you're kind of like trickier to track down. Yeah, but I do worry that, you know, they'll just wake up and smell the roses next year, right before her deadline and be like, ah, here's a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Well, usually what they'll do is they'll like they'll reach out to you and just say like, hey, we want to collect money. Hey with it's usually if you ignore that, hey we want to collect money, that's here's a lawsuit. So if they do reach out, then yes, work out a settlement. But if they don't, like I stone tell.
Speaker 1: Them to stop calling you. That's one thing people don't understand. You can. You can the I'll post a link to this, so check the website brownvisionpodcast dot com. I'll post a link to the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. They have all these like form letters, like they write the letters for you. All you have to do is put your name, insert your name, and insert the deck collector's name, and you can send them a season deslist letter saying, you know, please stop talking, stop calling me, or call me on these hours, or only email me. Don't call me, or only send me letters. Don't email me or call me that kind of stuff. You can totally do that. It won't erase your debt, but it'll get them out if you're you know, off your back. And that's why it's why to get rid of.
Speaker 2: Them because I remember I couldn't pay my mortgage at one point during the high of the recession, and I was like, oh my gosh, I'm not going to do and they were Chase Bank was he rap sing me? Oh my goodness. I was like, is this ex boyfriend?
Speaker 1: And it probably weren't alone either.
Speaker 2: No, And so I sent them a sea I backed up a seasoned assist letter, and it worked like a charm. Yeah, hello, yeah, can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh you cut out for a bit. You said it worked, Yeah, it worked like a charm.
Speaker 2: I sent up a seasoned desist letter and it worked like a charm.
Speaker 1: I oh good, okay, yeah, I miss Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know how it goes either way.
Speaker 1: Either way, just do whatever you know what, what can help you sleep at night. Mandy's got a heavy conscious, she likes to she's sassy.
Speaker 2: So what's up next? What do we have now? Some wins?
Speaker 1: We haven't done wins for a little while. I know I'm going to do a book for my win.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're going to do a book. I'm like, what is Okay, you go first, I will go first.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to recommend this book it's not necessarily a self help, I'm going to make you better at your career book, but it's a really good novel and it's actually about to get made into a TV show on the Own network. The novels called Queen Sugar, and it's about an African American mom of a daughter who's like eleven years old, who she's widowed in her thirties, very young, and she inherits a sugar cane farm duh from her dad in Louisiana, and so she decides to sell everything, pack up, and she's like down on her luck anyway, so she decides she wants a fresh start, so she moves back home to Louisiana to run a sugar cane farm, and of course she has no idea how to do it, and she has a brother who's trying to fight her for the inheritance, and her farm manager quits on her, and she has to like pull herselves up by the proverbial bootstraps and like figure out how to do sugar cane farming in a year. And I love the novel. I thought it was really good, and I'm so excited because it's going to be a show and guess who's directing it, Ava DuVernay. You're gonna say that I love her and then also her and starring is going to be routine Wesley, who was Tara and True Blood? Did you watch True Blood?
Speaker 2: I did a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of embarrassed I watched True Blood because that was like a really terrible show. But Routina Wesley was on that and she was amazing, and I just like, as soon as I knew it was her, I just pictured her the entire time I was reading the book. And it's so good. There's a little love, there's a little South uh Louisiana charm, which I love, and I think it's if you've ever, you know, been up against an impossible task in your life, this is the book that you should read.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I know, my win And that's actually sounds like a really great book to read. I love. I love a good book, especially like in the park, like on a blanket. What I see such a to be somewher. I know, I can't wait. I'm honestly, I'm such a geek. So I'm excited because I have like a thirty dollars gift certificate the target that somebody gave me and I am going to buy like a beach chair. So that way, there's times when I want to do work in the park because I have like a little it's called like a jet pack, which is it looks like a little pager, but basically it's like poort of internet, so I can take the Internet with me wherever I go. Because I was able. I went to Rison the other day to get like a new upgrade on my phone since I was like, way ver do and they were like, you can do buy one getting free and normally I'm like, whoa, what do I need with the free one? Like you know, but at the time Superman was like ooh ooh, I want a phone, and I was like, okay, well leave your old service, come over to mine, pay your same bill, and they gave us like all this great like data, and so I have a ton of data and I got a jetpack. I got my new phone, the Galaxy seven S Edge. You guess get into it. You know, you're jelly, and so do he. And as a result, I'm like, oh now, whenever I'm like out and whenever I have like my like little mac fook air with me, I'm like, I take out my little jetpack, and so I was like, ooh, I want to start doing work in the park and make the park my office this summer. And so I was like, I'm going to get myself a little spot. Yeah, and I'm going to get myself a little chair to take with me so I can just sit in the park and just you know, listen to my just read a book or do work. But like we're at someplace pretty protect, I'm trying. I just have a win. What was my win? What was my win? I just had?
Speaker 1: It was on the top of my Your wind cannot be a Target gift card. Although that is kind of a win.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. It wasn't. It was a good win and I forgot well, instead of a win, can I suggest a book?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, so this is then holy book GUDDI. So hey, guys, so I we're still here. I don't have a win this week, but I do have a book suggestion. And I know it's going to be kind of weird because it's totally not a new book. But somebody said something on Facebook or something, and it reminded me of how much I love this book. It's one of my favorites. It's their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora near Hurston Classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in like eighth grade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, But honestly, it's one of those books that, like.
Speaker 1: I should read it again as a grown up, Yes.
Speaker 2: You know, because it's just I read it. I think I don't remember. I think I read it like in high school something like that, Like somehow I stumbled across it in the library and just started reading it and then never stop. And it's one of my favorite books. And if you are really into language being beautifully arranged, it is like the epitome of that, and I am. I just love when, like I love poetry, it's to write poetry. I love when language is just beautifully arranged because we all get similar words and yet some people arrange them in such a way that's literally like a flower blooming. See what I did there?
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that's that here for it.
Speaker 2: That's not so much a win, but just the book suggestion that if you're looking to kind of read about a love story, but to read about it in such a beautiful way, I would suggestor and their Heirstmon, their Eyes were Watching God.
Speaker 1: I feel like we read those books, but I didn't really appreciate them as a young woman like I was like, damn, I just want to read the cliffs notes. Yeah, I should read them as a grown up, for sure.
Speaker 2: That's a good sure. Yeah, like a Raisin in the Sun, all those type of books.
Speaker 1: Invisible Man. That was a good one.
Speaker 2: That was a good one too.
Speaker 1: All right, that's all we happened this week.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will see you next week.
Speaker 1: We had some really good questions, so we'll save some for the next couple of weeks. But you can always email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes, and fine us on Twitter at the BA podcast and we are Brown Ambition on the Facebook.
Speaker 1: Yes, maam, all right, happy week. Go you know, recover from the lemonade. It sounds like I need to recover. You took it very well. You're just handling it. I'm a the mess.
Speaker 2: All right, talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: Get your four thousand steps in.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't come for me because you don't want this.
Speaker 1: Did that sound competitive?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's all right.
Speaker 1: That's trying to be supported.
Speaker 2: Bye Mandy, Bye bye.