Speaker 1: I love this sign of Laura and Almonzo's height.
Speaker 2: Almonzo was only five four.
Speaker 3: So here's the great irony of Laura Ingalls Wilderla. On the one hand, part of the deep magic she works. The reason so many people, including me, are devoted to her from childhood is that she's a real person.
Speaker 4: I want to stand up against it.
Speaker 2: All right, So Laura was four eleven, you're a few inches taller than Almonzo.
Speaker 3: Wow, the story she wrote actually happened.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Laura talks about it's half pint. She always talks a lot in the book about how short she is, and then when she.
Speaker 4: Went to teach school for the first time, how much how tiny she was in comparison to the students.
Speaker 3: She had to teach. You open her books and it's as though you step into her world and then walk along with her every step of the way. Eventually her story becomes your story, and then you can go out on the road you can see it all for yourself. But that really puts it in quick roast. On the other hand, she's a real person with serious flaws. Discovering this can be jarring, Like, do you remember the first time it occurred to you? Your parents were actual people in the world, with hang ups and flaws in questionable views. It's shocking and it can be destabilizing. This, I think is sort of similar to the experience of coming up against Laura as an actual person.
Speaker 6: I had a fantasy as a young child that like, this was their life.
Speaker 7: This was just like Saran Rep.
Speaker 6: I was just staring straight through something into the full life of Laura Ingalls.
Speaker 3: That's writer Rebecca Treister, who, like many of us growing up, myself included, understood the Little House Books to be a true account, and who, like many of us, was shocked to discover this wasn't the case.
Speaker 6: We went to hear this presentation from a local historian at a local libraryan Syracuse, and the thing that I remember most about that was that it was the first time it was ever explained to me that there'd been this gap where baby had died right when where Mary had gone blind, and this period didn't appear in the books, and I was kind of gobsmacked by that.
Speaker 3: Discovering that there were parts of Laura's life she hadn't told us about sort of felt like finding out your parent had a secret family somewhere else, another life entirely that you knew nothing about. But this revelation comes to all Little House readers at some point. Maybe it's rereading the Little House Books to your children because you remember them as sweet and cozy and safe, and then you open them up and holy crap, ma said what. Or maybe thanks to some solid therapy, by the end of book four, you're beginning to suspect Pop might not actually be the dazzling hero you've been led to believe. And then as you go along certain scenes, ones that have been there all along, start to jump out, like holy cow. Their lives are filled with danger and deprivation. There's real starvation. What about those plagues of grasshoppers? Or maybe return to the Long Winter as I did recently and quickly being in to wonder if in fact this is a lost horror story by Stephen King.
Speaker 7: The extreme poverty that the family suffers in the book is softened by Wilder's own affection for the character of Paw and by the pioneer stoicism and optimism with which the Ingalls family faces every new challenge.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's possible to fully understand how well the Little Housebooks were crafted until you realize what was actually going on, both in Laura's immediate world and in the America she was living in. Was Laura just trying to soften her life story for young readers, or was she driven by a desire to redeem her beloved father while also attempting to heal a whole lot of her own childhood trauma. In this episode, we're going to fact check Laura, what was true, what was truly fiction, and what was left out entirely. I'm Glennis McNichol, and this is wilder. Despite my childhood desire to reshelve the Little House Books into the nonfiction section. Little House on the Prairie is not a documentary. There is actually a reason it's fiction, many reasons, And the truth is, if it was a documentary, I'm not sure many of us could stand to watch it. Laura and Rose didn't just change a few details. They switched entire timelines, cut out huge chunks, combined people, added pets and scenes that didn't actually exist. If you're a lover of the books, consider this a trigger warning. If you love Jack the Dog, maybe stop here before we get into the bigger questions of why and what else was happening in America outside the Little Houses. We're going to walk through the basic chronology of what actually happened in Laura's life versus what the books said was happening.
Speaker 8: Oh that.
Speaker 3: The Little House is no longer in a Big Woods. It's Enrolling Farm County.
Speaker 4: Little House has neighbors now.
Speaker 3: Joe and Emily and I have arrived in Pepin, Wisconsin, birthplace of Laura Ingles Wilder and the setting of her first book, Little House in the Big Woods. Unlike the rest of the Ingles houses, Pepin does not feel remote. Many of the towns along the river here are holiday destinations. There's a winery in Pepin. Even on a weekday it feels bustling. The Little House in the Big Woods is about a ten minute drive out of town.
Speaker 4: It's so tiny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's a replica, but it still really is little. When you get there, there's just a little log cabin and a very large plaque. The plaque reads a lot like the opening of Little House in the Big Woods.
Speaker 4: Once upon a time, a little girl lived in the Big Woods of Wisconsin in a little gray house made of logs. Writing about herself in her life here, Laura Ingles Wilder thus began Little House in the Big Woods, the first of her famous Little House books.
Speaker 3: But read further and the facts start to diverge from the stories readers are familiar with from the books. Laura was born here on February seventh, eighteen sixty seven. Late in eighteen sixty eight or in the spring of eighteen sixty nine, the Ingles family left Wisconsin and traveled by covered wagonto Kansas. They found Kansas to be Indian Country. It wasn't Kansas at that point, it was Osage Indian territory. So shortly after Carrie was born in August eighteen seventy, Charles Ingles brought his family back to the Little House near Peppin so Little House in the Big Woods the book is based on their second sojourn in Wisconsin. And then because she the same house, and because she wrote, did you get all that? Let's go over the story of Laura's first year's point by point, as I did with Oh, the Ingles family actually lived in the Big Woods twice?
Speaker 4: How does that work? Explain that?
Speaker 9: To me?
Speaker 3: She was born there and then when she was about three years old, Paw relocated them to Indian Territory, which was the Osage Diminished Reserve and what is now known as Kansas And they stayed there for about a year and then they returned to the Big Woods when Laura was about four, and that's where the series starts.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense to me.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: The reason the series starts there is because they didn't envision this to be a series of books. They thought it would be one story and that this was a sweet, sort of fairy tale story set in the Big Woods. So what she's writing is true. But where it gets complicated is as we know that book was a success, so when she comes back to write about them being in Indian Territory so called, they have to sort of finaggle the timeline and make her older in that book than she actually was in.
Speaker 4: Real life, right, so that it makes sense to go from Big Woods to the prairie.
Speaker 3: Right. Okay, So in real life when they lived in Indian Territory, Laura was only three and Carrie wasn't born yet. In the book version, she's six or seven, and Carrie is a baby. And this is where it gets a little tricky, because how much can a three year old remember about their life sixty years later.
Speaker 4: So whose memories are they? Whose stories are they? Are they Laura's? Are they pause stories? Are they mas stories? And that's the cup location with memoirs, And this is fiction written very similar to a memoir, And yes, whose story is this?
Speaker 3: That's yeah? And then don't you bring Rose into the equation as we have done, and it gets more complicated right.
Speaker 4: Right from the very beginning, it was a mix of fact and fiction.
Speaker 3: So if Little House is a mixture of fact and fiction, how do we separate one from the other. To what extent can we trust the memories of a sixty five year old woman, particularly around events that occurred when she was quite young. Caroline Fraser pulled us. A prize winning author of Prairie Fires, a biography of Laura Ingleswilder thinks Laura was actually blessed with an extraordinary memory.
Speaker 10: It's probably a combination of direct memories and reconstructing from stories she heard. But I think she absolutely remembered going across the planes, looking out the you know, sort of hole in the wagon cover and seeing these prairies.
Speaker 3: Caroline's referring to the opening chapters of the book Little House on the Prairie, which in real life took place when Laura was three years old, because.
Speaker 10: I think she totally remembered the scene where they crossed the river and Pau almost loses control of the wagon and they're nearly swept away.
Speaker 3: It's understandable Laura would remember that. And following this scene is an even longer one where beloved family dog Jack goes missing and is presumed dead.
Speaker 4: He's not.
Speaker 3: He returns, much to everyone's joy. Okay, are you ready? It's time to talk about Jack the dog. Throughout the early books, Jack functions as Laura's protector and best friend. He understands her, he was, she writes as especially Laura's own dog. The opening of the fifth book, by the shores of Silver Lake, in a chapter titled grown Up, Jack, now weary from all his travels, dies in his sleep. Pa assures a devastated Laura that Jack has gone to the happy hunting grounds. Good dogs have the reward. He says, Jack's death is a sign for the reader too. Laura is no longer a child. She's thirteen. Now she's going to have to fend for herself. This is all made up.
Speaker 7: Jack, as he appears in the Little House Books, is essentially all fictional, and for me that was like devastating.
Speaker 3: That's Pamela smith Hill. She's a biographer of Laura and edited the annotated Pioneer Girl. We talked extensively about Pioneer Girl in episode two. It's Laura's original memoir for grown ups on which the children's books were eventually based, and.
Speaker 7: There page two or three of the manuscript I found out that Paw traded Jack along with the ponies.
Speaker 3: Let's return to on the Banks of Plum Creek. It's the fourth book in the series, and it's pivotal in the fact versus fiction discussion. When the book opens, Laura is eight years old. The Ingles have just arrived in Walnut Grove from Indian Territory. Remember the part at the beginning when they pull up to the dugout and Paw trades the ponies Pet and Patty for Oxen. Laura's so sad to see Pet and Patty go. While in real life, Pa also traded away Jack. Research suggests it was Rose who turned Jack into a reoccurring character. In reality, Jack was likely based on a number of dogs Rose and Laura both owns during their life. Jack is actually one of two composite characters that play significant roles in the Little House series and in Laura's life. The other one is none other than Laura's iconic arch nemesis, Nellie Olsen. Nellie Olsen might have been the original mean Girl, but she was not actually a real person. She is a combination of three different mean girls. Laura encountered in her youth, Nellie Owens, who actually was the daughter of the mercantile owner in Walnut Grove, a girl named Stella Gilbert, and finally Genevieve Masters, who was the wealthy daughter of Laura's school teacher and a member of the Masters family. Remember that name. On the Banks of Plum Creek alternates between Laura's struggles as the new girl in school and the Ingles battle against the natural elements. Halfway through the book, just as the Ingles are about to harvest a bumper crop that will finally bring them financial security, plagues of grasshoppers arrive and destroy everything. Listen to how Laura describes this, and then imagine having this happened to you as a child. Something hit Laura's head and fell to the ground. She looked down and saw the largest grasshoppers She had ever seen. They came thutting down like hail. Their body hit the sun and made darkness. The rasping whirring of their wings filled the whole air, and they hit the ground and the house with the noise of a hailstorm. If you read this book as a child, those grasshoppers are etched into your memory, believe it or not. In real life, it might actually have been worse. Enormous grasshoppers really did destroy sections of Minnesota between eighteen seventy three and eighteen seventy seven. The grasshoppers Laura is writing about other Rocky Mountain locusts. They're extinct now, but they measured an inch and a half long.
Speaker 9: The one that hit Plum Creek was the single largest locust swarm in recorded human history.
Speaker 3: That's environmental historian Chris Wells.
Speaker 9: Was one hundred and ten miles wide, eighteen hundred miles long, and between a quarter mile and a half a mile deep. That is a area equivalent to Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont com mine.
Speaker 3: These swarms didn't just happen once. They happened four years in a row, and though it definitely sounds biblical, this wasn't an act of God. It was partly a man made environmental disaster created by homesteaders manipulating the land for farming.
Speaker 9: So it's a combination of people plowing new land and growing crops and a drought hitting that created sort of ideal circumstances for the Rocky Mountain locusts to thrive. They ate, and they ate the leather off of handles. People tried to protect their gardens with gunny sacks and stuff. They just ate the gunny sacks and everything inside it. I mean, you're just talking about having to cover your eyes to walk around outside to keep the bugs from flying into them. Railroads having to discontinue service for stretches because so many grasshoppers got smushed under the wheels that they became too slick to operate the trains safely. It's hard to describe the magnitude of these things.
Speaker 3: It's not that what Laura describes isn't nightmarish, but somehow knowing the facts outside her experience of them, knowing just how terrible it all was, underscores Laura's version in a way that makes her ability to survive all the more moving and impactful, and her ability to write about it in the manner she did all the more impressive. Laura ends Plum Creek, as she does every book, with a note of hope. But the truth was things were about to get even worse. Between the end of Plum Creek and the opening of the next book, by the Shores of Silver Lake are two years of Laura's life that go untold. She's ten when we leave her and twelve when we find her again. And it's these two missing years that first flag to attentive readers something might be a miss. The truth is these years were so terrible Laura was never able to figure out how to write about them for children. But where did the family go and what happened to them?
Speaker 4: Emily were in Iowa. You hit a new state that sciences Iowa state line.
Speaker 3: Roun Emily, Joe and I have just arrived in Burr Oak, Iowa.
Speaker 4: There's a sign that says museum tour begats at brick building across.
Speaker 3: So far this feels like the smallest, most remote place sweement.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it has those same flowers, those same orange browns.
Speaker 3: Oh Yeah, which that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: I wonder if there's too right? Can you guys just walk down the middle this street for me?
Speaker 3: Are you wondering? Wait? What is Burroke, Iowa? There's no little house anywhere in a place called burr Oak, Iowa. You are correct. Burr Oak is an incorporated community located three miles across the Minnesota state line. In eighteen seventy six, when Laura was nine years old, after two years of devastating grasshopper plagues, the Ingles family relocated from Walnut Grove, two hundred and twenty four miles east to Burr Oak, Hoping to regain some financial stability. The family went there to help run a hotel.
Speaker 11: So before we go over to the hotel, just point out a few things. The Ingles actually lived here in three different places, starting with a hotel that will be touring. That's our museum.
Speaker 3: Burr Oak has turned the side of the hotel into a Laura Ingles Wilder Museum, and we're on a tour of it today with a woman named Barbara.
Speaker 11: That's our museum. And then where our construction is taking place in that empty lot, they lived above a store Kimball's store. They ranted rooms up there after they moved out of the hotel.
Speaker 3: In the books, Laura thrives on isolation. She hates being in crowded places. She and Pa love space. But at the hotel in burr Oak, the Ingles lived in close quarters, which oftentimes exposed them to situations that were unsafe, especially for young girls.
Speaker 12: And am i correction thinking they moved out of the hotel next door because someone had tried to shoot his wife, or the wife.
Speaker 11: Had tried to shoot the husb that had already happened.
Speaker 3: That had already happened. It was not a safe space necessarily for it. The rough crowd that frequented the hotel they were living and working in frightened both Laura and Mary. Even so, the Ingles stuck it out. They desperately needed the money they hoped bur Oak would bring them.
Speaker 11: They were very overworked and underpaid, and after three months actually they had been paid it all after three months of their work. Caroline in a restaurant downstairs in the hotel, and then Charles for all of his work, so they knew they were being taken advantage of.
Speaker 3: The entire family was put to work in the hotel including Laura, who was just nine years old.
Speaker 11: Laura wasn't specific about other than what her chores were and Mary's chores were, and Caroline was running the restaurant, and it's downstairs. We believe their living space was downstairs. Mary and Laura washing dishes for the restaurant, setting tables, sweeping floors, making beds.
Speaker 3: We get no sense of this in the books, which focused almost exclusively on the word Laura does at home to help the family, but in actual fact, in addition to all these chores, Laura was also employed at the hotel as a companion for younger children and aging residents.
Speaker 11: The Stedmans that owned this hotel and the Ingles had come here with them to work together, had a baby that they were supposed to babysit right thank you with the promise of payment by Christmas time, and Missus Stebman never paid them.
Speaker 3: Working hard and not getting paid was a reoccurring issue for the Ingles in Burr Oak, and it made their tenuous financial situation even worse. Laura, however, despite her young age, soon established a reputation as a reliable caretaker. She was so good at this work that one family asked if they could keep her. Literally, this is doctor Starr.
Speaker 11: I think I believe Laura was talking about the doctor in another context in Pioneer Girl, but she does mention Missus Starr, who had gone to Ma and asked if they could adopt Laura as their own daughter. She wanted to help her and had her heart set on Laura.
Speaker 3: I I'm terrified that was even over here, right, even understand that that was a possibility.
Speaker 4: The Stars offered Laura pretty close music, lessons and education, who wanted to leave Laura share the property when they died, just as they would their own girls.
Speaker 11: I love the way Laura talked about it. Ma thank Missus Star, but said that she and Pap couldn't possibly spare me.
Speaker 3: It is impossible to imagine Pa or Ma ever being willing to give up any of their children. One thing we do know without question is that Laura was adored, but no doubt their quest may have seemed doubly nightmarish when you know that the Ingles had only recently lost a child on their way to burr Oak. Charles and Caroline's only son, Charles Frederick Ingles Junior, known to the family as Freddie, was born in Walnut Grove in eighteen seventy five and died ten months later en route to Burr Oak. He's buried somewhere near South Troy, Minnesota, although no one knows exactly where. No mention of Freddy is made in the Little House Books. It seems Laura couldn't bear to relive it. Even in her adult memoir Pioneer Girl, she only manages a few lines. Laura writes, little brother got worse instead of better, and one awful day he straightened out his little body and was dead. Six months after Little Freddie's death, Grace is born, and somehow her name makes more sense knowing about this loss. After nearly a year in Burr Oak, on able to dig themselves out of the financial hole they were in, Pod decided to relocate the family back to Walnut Grove, and then everything got worse, much worse. Not long after they returned, Mary went blind.
Speaker 11: Mary lost her eyesight two years after they left Burr Oak.
Speaker 3: So Mary's blindness is a source of much discussion and actually some academic study. In the books, Laura attributes it to scarlet fever. She briefly describes Mary's illness as happening slowly until one day, Mary wakes up and can't see. But based on descriptions in Laura's memoir Pioneer Girl and a better modern day understanding of what scarlet fever actually is, it seems more likely Mary had contracted spinal meningitis and that this is what led to the blindness. Taken altogether, the childhood labor, the loss of an infant brother, the violence they were surrounded by in Burr Oak, and finally, and perhaps most devastatingly, Mary's blindness. The two years between Plum Creek and Silver Lake proved too much for Laura to face in her writing. Instead, with Rose's help, they cram a few scant details into the first pages of By the Shores of Silver Lake. Here's what the reader is told Laura's twelve. Now the Ingles are in Walnut Grove where we left them. No mention is made of Burr Oak or Freddy. The house is in shambles, Mary is blind, and then Jack the dog dies amazingly after this dark opening, By the Shores of Silver Lake is perhaps the most consistently hopeful of all the Little House books. Laura is an adolescent. Now she has a bit more agency. The Ingles go west, their finances stabilize. The wildness and openness of the prairie is so present in these pages just it's practically its own character, and in terms of what's real, it's comforting to know that the more magical scenes in this book, like Laura and her cousin Lena riding ponies and Laura and Carrie encountering an enormous mythic wolf, actually did happen. And yet Waiting there on the Horizon is the darkest, hardest book in the series, The Long Winter. The Long Winter is about the real life historic winter of eighteen eighty one, in which the entire town of Desmet almost starved. Laura would have nightmares about it for the rest of her life. It's a dark and difficult book that recounts the Ingles attempt to survive on their own in a house in town. It's been each day fending off starvation and trying not to freeze to death once again, like the Grasshoppers. The real life version is even worse. Remember the Master's family, Nellie Olsen, was partially based on Jenny Masters, the daughter of Laura's wealthy Walnut Grove school teacher. While they're back during The Long winter, Jenny Master's older brother, George and his wife and their new baby boarded with the Ingles family. They ate the Ingles food, and they took the warmest place by the fire, but they contributed nothing to the house. They didn't even twist hay with Laura and pass so they could make a fire. Knowing this and then reading the book again can make Laura's version of that winter almost feel like fan fiction of her own life. She probably went to bed every night dreaming those people weren't there, or you know, fantasizing about murdering them, which is understandable. In the Baroq Museum, Barbara showed us something Laura actually wrote during that winter, and the tone is much more resentful than she ever lets on in the book.
Speaker 11: Well, we found a copy of a poem that Laura wrote about that about that winter.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, this is the poem. We remember not the summer, for it was long ago. We remember not the summer. In this whirling, blinding snow, I will leave this frozen region. I will travel farther south. If you say one word against it, I will hit you in the mouth. Wow, Laura, Laura, that is her long, hard winter.
Speaker 7: How long.
Speaker 3: Laura's unwillingness to punish the masters with her pen decades later speaks to something in her that we keep coming back to. Instead of crucifying the masters, she mercifully removes them entirely. Instead of starvation, we get Ma's nutty baked bread of Darkness. An entire chapters devoted to the anticipation of Ma creating a candle out of kerosene and a button. She tried her hardest to balance out the worst with the very best. This, it seems, might have been a family trait. In the Borough Museum is a photograph of the registrar's book from the blind school in Vinton, Iowa that Mary attended.
Speaker 11: When we were there, when the school was still open, they let us take a photograph of their registrar's book. So under here there's a line underneath Mary's name because of blindness was brain fever her parents' information. This was interesting. He was a farmer of moderate income, and the only other moderate was a lawyer, and everyone else was poor, poor.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 11: We asked at the school if they knew why he was listed as moderate, whether that was Charles's decision or the schools, and of course they wouldn't know, but it could go either way. They spent money for three train tickets to Vin from the Dakota Territory and two train tickets back home again, and that's not how most students travel to another place with their parents.
Speaker 3: We know from the books that the Ingles worked hard to send Mary to the School for the Blind. Laura frames her work as a school teacher, which she didn't enjoy, as necessary to funding Mary's education. There's an entire chapter in Little Town on the Prairie devoted to the family making everything Mary will need for college, dresses, hats, sheets, Pop buys Mary a new trunk, but we're never made to understand any of this might be out of the ordinary.
Speaker 11: And Mary also came with a new trunk full of clothes that they had just made for her that mon the girls had made for her. A lot of the children with the clothes on their back. So whether that made a difference, or whether Charles just wanted to, you know, inflate his position just a little bit and say that he was umoderate income. They don't know whose decision it was, but it was it's an interesting comment.
Speaker 3: Whatever the horror they had been through, whatever sacrifices had been made. The Ingles, long before Laura took pen to paper, wanted the world to believe they were greater than the sum of their parts. For Laura the writer, this meant offsetting the terrible events with an unconditional love of family. All the cozy descriptions are simply a way to reinforce the sense of safety and magic. She felt at home, and no one made her feel safer than Maw and Paw. When I was little, I used to tell my mother I wish I lived in the olden days. Everything about them seemed magical. Horses and buggies, puff sleeves, braided hair, sugaring fiddles, wolves, adventure. This was the life for me. My grandmother, who was the eldest of ten and grew up without indoor plumbing, scoffed harshly at my fantasies. She had lived it. She was not interested in reliving it at all. But the first time it really occurred to me, like deep down, oh crap, Perhaps life on the prairie is not the magical experience I had come to believe was when Joe and Emily and I visited Plum Creek outside Walnut grove this past summer on a very hot July day, bound just pulling up here in a covered wagon, traveling across the prairie for I don't know, a month.
Speaker 4: With your husband and you think that you're getting a house.
Speaker 3: We followed signs down through some trees and across a bridge and on the banks of Plumb Creek. Laura describes the rippling and glistening creek, the yellow flowers, nodding it is beautiful for like one night of camping, maybe if you're a person who likes to camp. The Doughead is no longer there these days. It's just a depression in the side of a hill that you'd likely miss if it wasn't for the plaque that marks the spot. We stand and stare at it for a bit, contemplating living here a family of five.
Speaker 12: Oh ma, I find the older I get, the more extraordinary sympathy I have for Caroline.
Speaker 13: Ingalls or like my god, I think reading these books as are grown up, I see them from Caroline's point of view more than the and just being a woman and a mother of three young girls.
Speaker 4: And my husband saying, oh, you're gonna live in a dirt hole on the side of a creek. Yeah, and you're saying okay.
Speaker 2: Not just okay, you saying, look how beautiful this is as girls, Look how clean it is. Aren't we lucky?
Speaker 3: We'll make the best of it. That relentless optimism is extraordinary, and I don't think you can fake that. I don't think Laura couldn't have been a person. I would argue one of the markers of great art is that you get something new out of it every time. This time, what I got out of Little House is Ma. Joe and I talked about the fantasy of Little House versus the reality of Ma's life, which was now staring us straight in the face. I mean, when I was a kid, that dugout seemed magical and not for nothing. But when you look at the cover of on the banks of Plum Creek, it's like Laura skipping barefoot across the grass with her hair flowing free, and Jack is this friendly, cute dog, and below her in the dugout is Ma ironing.
Speaker 8: Which as a kid, I was like, I'm gonna deliver you a big nope here, because I don't think there was anything magical for them.
Speaker 4: I've seen that hole and for me as a mother of three children. It seems like a total goddamn nightmare. Ma had it so hard.
Speaker 3: MA had it so hard.
Speaker 4: Ma's life was terrible.
Speaker 3: She's living in a hole in a hole in the ground. But it makes the cover of on the banks of Plum Creek sort of reminds me. And I don't know if this is sure anymore, but remember when we were growing up, all the tampon commercials were just of like blonde girls running freely across grass, and then it was like yay tampacs.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, only blonde girls, but.
Speaker 3: With like long white blonde girls with long flowing hair who were just running across grass. And there's something about the fantasy of this dugout that seems, as a grown up so deeply disconnected from reality that it reminds me of those commercials, Like.
Speaker 4: Nothing magical about bleeding through your pants.
Speaker 3: There's nothing, there's literally nothing magical about it. Of course, we know there's no bathroom, but there's no bathroom, there's no toilet, Like what does she do when she gets her period? Like, I mean, I know there are some answers to this, but they're living in a dugout. So it's like Ma is so patient in the books, and even when she's a little bit cranky, I'm like, oh my god, I can't believe every woman did not just commit mass murder. Truly, like constantly later books, when Laura goes to teach and she's with that couple and the wife is like losing her mind and tries to stab her husband. As a kid, I was like, that woman's horrible. As a grown up, I'm like, I would have stabbed everyone.
Speaker 4: Everyone's off stabbed everyone.
Speaker 3: Yah, and she lived in a house. It really makes you understand or like really think about the fact that in the books, Laura never talks about bodily functions. There's not a single outhouse in the books. No one smells, there's no deodorant. They never talk about brushing their teeth. They scrub their faces and brush their hair. And you know, like Ma did iron. She was so determined to keep things like clean.
Speaker 4: I don't iron now, and I live in a four bedroom house. How did she iron? They didn't have electricity.
Speaker 3: They had some sort of the metal thing that they would heat by the fire and they would sprinkle water on the clothes and then they would iron it.
Speaker 4: Nick just sent me a text because he was listening to us that said you heat irons on the fire, literal irons, and he's like, he's really stunty about it. He's like literal irons. That is where the name came from.
Speaker 3: Clearly, neither Joe nor I are surviving the apocalypse, let alone providing our family with freshly ironed clothes while living in a dugout on the side of a creek. Being confronted with the reality of Laura's living conditions confirms a lot of what's between the lines and the books. This reality is a lot clearer when you return to the books as a grown up. Here's Pamela Smith Hilligan.
Speaker 7: One of the things that I think is really brilliant about the Little House series is that you can read those books on two different levels. So when you're a child and you read on the banks of Plump Creek, the dugout seems fabulous, It's like the most magical place in the world. But when you go back as an adult, there are cues within the text if you read it pretty closely. Because the first thing Caroline Ingles says to Paul is, oh, Charles, a dugout. We've never lived in a dugout before you can just since the letdown in her voice and the feeling of disappointment and what this means to the family.
Speaker 3: The dugout is one of the signs that the Ingles are living in extremely severe poverty. Here's Chris Wells again.
Speaker 9: You know what's good for people is also good for bugs and other less than pleasant, sometimes less than healthy things to be living with. I mean, there were good arguments against sod huts aside from just status. That status was part of it, right, Being dirt poor and living in a dirt house kind of went together.
Speaker 3: That said, It's not like homesteaders had a lot of choices. On the Ingle's homestead site and just met South Dakota, there are replicas of the kind of houses you would have encountered on the prairies in the eighteen eighties. Visitors get to walk around and think about which they would have preferred to live in. Emily and I did just that. We took a house tour, I guess you could call it. There was a sod house, which is similar to a dugout, and a claim shanty, which is more like a basic wooden structure, often with just one room.
Speaker 4: This is a shanty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh my god, it's so small.
Speaker 4: Oh hi, it is so small.
Speaker 3: Look at the.
Speaker 4: What did they all sleep in here?
Speaker 14: Good god, wow, Shandy, no wonder Missus Brewster was losing her mind. Ooh really okay, this is an eighteen seventy eight clam shanty which is insulated with a newspaper.
Speaker 3: Well, at least hopefully they can all read a let.
Speaker 11: Me no as you're falling asleep. This is the real one.
Speaker 12: Is nine feet by fifteen feet at the end.
Speaker 3: Like the ceilings are sick at the peak. They're probably nine feet high, but maybe ten.
Speaker 14: There is a loft for storage, but you cannot fit anyone.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot for storage, where would you go? I mean, there's a stove in the It's not like the.
Speaker 2: TV show where Laura and Mary live in the law.
Speaker 3: It's like a large tent. If this just turned into a tent, it would be called glamping with a few more resources. The Angles lived in both dugouts and chanties. And now that I'm in my late forties, older than Ma was in any of the books, and have so many children in my own life, it's a lot easier to put myself in Ma's shoes and then get out of them just as quickly. Taking the books through Ma's eyes and by extension, through the eyes of women on the frontier is an extreme and so overing experience, but it can help explain at least some of Ma's behavior in the books.
Speaker 5: She's kind of stern in the books, isn't she when you're a kid?
Speaker 3: That's and lush. She and her family purchased the ingles to Smet Homestead in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 5: I think a reflection of the times to the you know, the point in history they're at, what roles people played in families and how that was presented in stuff. I don't think Caroline's alone and any means historically, I think women oftentimes had to be firm about some things. For Caroline, I think she was done moving. She probably said, nope, de Smets, where we're going to stay. You know, I don't want to move again? And stuff too. So I think those parts of relationships and you know, between spouse's was probably not represented all the time so much in history. I think those things sometimes we have to go dig in for him to find those stories a little bit more. But I mean, I think of the women that moved out here, and the stories too that you read of other homesteaders, they were gutsy. I'm not sure I'd want to do that.
Speaker 3: The truth is, growing up, I had very little use for Ma, which is not surprising. Mothers in general and in storytelling are often scapegoaded for being a bummer man.
Speaker 10: It worked.
Speaker 3: Ma is the villain here. That's writer Rebecca Trister.
Speaker 6: Again, Pa is presented as actually being more reasonable and interested in and the person who is able to acknowledge, even in very small ways. Pa is presented as the most humane in the family, and Ma is the one who who my kids were like this woman's bad news.
Speaker 3: Ma is also the person constantly telling Laura what she can't do. She's the context for Laura's misbehavior.
Speaker 6: Ma is also giving voice in chi her for that stuff. She's also giving voice both to the attitudes that did keep women in certain roles, but also that understood wildness as a risk for women. It's also interesting to think about the messages that Ma's sending Laura throughout, because Laura is uncontained and she is does have impulses toward independence and toward more masculine behavior. Right that she's what was understood as masculinized behavior that she would run barefoot and keep her head uncovered.
Speaker 3: Also a concern for Ma raising young girls, or the underlying sexual politics.
Speaker 6: Unconsciously probably reflected one of the realities that was very much on the minds of parents and mothers, and that was probably undergirding a lot of what she's saying to Laura, which I hastened to add is not a defense of it, right, but is like so much of the you know, put your hat on, it is a reaction to fear of sexual violence.
Speaker 3: Right, and Ma had a lot to fear until they landed and desmet, and Ma forbid Pa to take them anywhere else. The Ingles were constantly on the move, which meant Ma had to be constantly on guard, navigating the uncertainties of being a woman with daughters in unfamiliar territory. As a kid, it felt like Pa was leading his family on a great adventure. As a grown up, it feels like something else entirely. Let's turn our grown up gaze on Laura's hero. It's time to talk about the elephant in the room, and that elephant's name is Charles Ingalls. We know Laura idolized her father. This was something she never seemed to quite get over even as an adult. Whatever flaws Pa might have had, and however aware of them, Laura was that awareness was never conveyed in the books and real life. Charles Ingalls definitely did something which are very contradictory to the paw we know from the books. That brings us back to Burr Oak. You'll recall the reason the Ingles left Burr Oak was because they were in a financial hole they couldn't climb out of.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 3: Turns out they didn't leave so much as make a run for it in the middle of the night. Here's Barbara again our museum guide from Burr Oak.
Speaker 15: This is the Bisbee Room. He is the man that owned the house. Were graceless born, and the Ingles rented from him. And he was a wealthy young bachelor that at Laura wrote about that was so demanding, demanded Charles catch up with his rent payments, and he had threatened Charles to come up with the money that he was owed for rant or he would have a sheriff come and get their horses. Charles had sold the milk cow the evening before to have a little bit of money to travel with, and they packed up in the middle of the night.
Speaker 3: Unable to pay their rent. Charles had actually packed up his family under cover of darkness and then skipped down and headed right back to Walnut Grove.
Speaker 15: We get asked all the time if Charles paid eventually paid, because he had offered to do that. He had come to Bisbee knowing that there was a problem and said that he was. They were going to move back to Walnut Grove and get a job with some friends, and that he would send him what was do what he owed him. So we don't know. We honestly don't know whether he made good on his promise or not. I'd like to think so, based on his personality and the way he was raising his girls.
Speaker 3: Does pau skipping out in the middle of the night shock you? Does it make you think less of him? It's certainly at odds with the pa we thought we knew his children, But as an adult, it's definitely easier to see this version between the lines of what Laura was writing. And I don't think it's that the subject has changed. It's that we have in the case of Paw and so much of the storytelling, we grew up on the history and our culture around it has shifted. It was the first thing that came up in the first conversation we had on the road in the parking lot of the Walnut Grove pageant, and then it came up again and again in interviews. What is the deal with Paw? They're wild to read as.
Speaker 4: A grown up though sometimes but as an analyst, what are you thinking for?
Speaker 16: Well, unfortunately I haven't read it since I was twelve.
Speaker 3: So I really need to go back.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I saw the picture and I could see there was something really special going on.
Speaker 16: Oh really, it feels like it like it feels like he's on a different plane in a good way.
Speaker 3: Vanity Fair writer Marin O'Connor, who rereads the books yearly, spotted it.
Speaker 16: Pa just keeps messing up their lives in every single book, and yet the utter total faith in Paul and the utter faithe and like there's a on present. Paul will survive, if pause president, we will survive. It was not until a much later reread that I was like, does pop menia?
Speaker 3: Paw is not.
Speaker 16: He makes very impulsive choices and the family is like a little bit in disarray.
Speaker 3: Every time writer Rebecca Traster saw it.
Speaker 6: Pa was the least stable pause like your nightmare dad. But I was reading these books to my kids, my husband and I were like, what is wrong with Paw? Like Paw is like clearly not well and inflicting torture on his family, right, And I thought, And then I read Prairie Fires, and I'm like, oh, and he was also a swindler, like a cheat.
Speaker 3: Before you worry that we have it in for Paw, we don't, not really. And I want to point out that when I brought this up to Wilder scholar Pamela smith Hill, she had a much different take, one more rooted in historical context and less in our modern day under standing of mental illness.
Speaker 7: Suspect too, that we view him very differently now in the twenty first century than he was viewed when the books were first published, because the books were published during the Depression, and lots of men were having a very difficult time earning a living and providing for their family, and it was very hard for families in the nineteen thirties, for hundreds and hundreds of families to make ends meet. And I think perhaps they related to Charles Ingles very differently than we do today. The extreme poverty that the family suffers in the book is softened by Wilder's own affection for the character of Paw, and by the pioneer stoicism and optimism with which the Ingalls family faces every new challenge.
Speaker 3: Laura's affection for Paw is what comes through no matter what. Never get the sense she's lying about her father or even leaving things out on purpose. It's more like Laura didn't see the issue, or couldn't see the issue, or maybe that in the context of frontier life in the eighteen eighties, Paw really was fantastic. It's not like there was a ton of stability for anyone, and he played.
Speaker 7: The fiddle.
Speaker 3: For those of us who also grew up with larger than life parents. Certain things about Laura's relationship with Paw resonated in ways we might not have been able to articulate at the time, but still felt deeply familiar.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Pa also represents, I think a part of the book that readers respond to so much, which is that like he does represent that purity, he represents wild nature, and he's already like pretending to be an animal.
Speaker 3: Here's Lizzie Skernick, writer and professor of children's literature at NYU.
Speaker 1: And so I think we love Pa for that. Also that Pa, you know, is untamed. Everybody always gets so mad at me because even at the time I always left. Well, God, Pas seems so manic. So he's hauling Laura around everywhere, like what the hell is wrong with him? You know, like a normal person can't walk one hundred mile rust with no shoes, you know, like he has to have he is mad.
Speaker 6: So funny because my father is bipolar, and probably like I identified with that behavior as a child because it felt so well my mother familiar.
Speaker 1: Yes, my mother was manned, and I was like, she seems a lot like Pa, that he has all this energy.
Speaker 3: Another reason it's hard to see pause flaws when you're a kid is that he's always on Laura's side. Where Moss goolds, Paw encourages, or at least understands, often with a humorous wink of the eye in Laura's direction, I'm on your side. He always seems to be saying, I see you and I understand. Also, he allowed Laura to be who she was, yes, and Ma did not. Reasons that makes sense to me as an adult in that time of Ma's motivations, But as a child, all it said to me was he loves her for who she is and doesn't punish her for being as the person she wants to be, whereas Ma's always trying to contain it and tame it.
Speaker 15: He doesn't punish her ugly humanity.
Speaker 1: And you know that he doesn't punish that she's jealous or you know, angry or selfish or greedy. You know when she comes home from rocking the desk and he doesn't get angry at her. And Laura says, and she was mean to Jack. It's like, I love that line as a kid, I was like, she was mean to the dog. But Paw doesn't get it. He just lets it go.
Speaker 3: He's like he understands, whereas Ma's so upset and paus like, I kind of get.
Speaker 7: It right exactly.
Speaker 1: And I do think we love pa because he loves Laura, And part of what we love Laura is is for all her messy humanity.
Speaker 3: There are a couple of ways to think about Pa. Is that he's a stand in for all the white male savior figures that populate our myths. Particularly are American myths. He is our hero and our anti hero, and also he can be mind blowingly selfish sometimes. Joe and I talked about encountering Pa as grown women and all the ways in which he now really rubbed us the wrong way.
Speaker 4: First of all, when we were in Pepin, in the Little House in the Big Woods, it was so beautiful, just crazy, crazy, pretty peaceful, lovely, right on the Mississippi River, And all I could think was, why did they leave here? Why did they leave here to go to live on the prairie where life was really really hard? While Ma had these little girls, and she was and she was pregnant. Wasn't she pregnant at the time? I feel like Ma was an abusive relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean and in Little House at the beginning of Little House on the Prairie the book, there's no they don't give any reasoning for this. There's no real reason, like it's like, oh, well, Paw felt that there wasn't enough animals to hunt, so he yanked his entire family out of their home, away from their extended family, and dragged them to a legally squat on the Osage Diminished Reserve, where they weren't supposed to be anyway, and reading that as a kid, you were just like, oh, okay, And as a grown up it's.
Speaker 4: Like, like, this is grounds for divorce, my friend, this.
Speaker 3: Is insane at the same time, and this is not necessarily a defense of Paw. But I think one of the things I realized, or I hadn't realized until I read Caroline Fraser Prairie Fires, is how that Ma grew up in even more severe poverty than Laura. Like, there was a point her father died at sea, her mother was a single mother with lots of kids. There was a point where they were like literally eating dirt to survive. So like, in the context of that, was this terrible? I don't know? And also was it less terrible than the idea of trying to support yourself to children and a baby on the way as a single mother.
Speaker 4: That sounds exactly like a defensive Paw. And yes, this was a bad decision. This is a man who consistently made bad decisions and did not consider his family, his wife. He did not. I don't I genuinely believe now knowing everything I know about the story and visiting these places, that Paw was a ridunculously selfish individual, and there's no divorce, and being a single woman on your own is impossible, and Ma had no options. So essentially it's women were screwed. No matter what.
Speaker 3: It's so, I mean, it's still true today in so many places. It's nothing funny about it. And there are points in the book where when I went back to read it this time I really was like, Oh my god, you are such a horrible person. Pa. Like the long winter, they're all starving, and Pa goes across the street to Almonzo, you know, Laura's future husband, who lives with his brother, and they secretly stored grain in the wall, and Pa goes and takes them for his family because they're starving, and they're like, well Ingles, why don't you stay for some flapjacks because they're making pancakes. And then she goes. Laura spends like four paragraphs describing these delicious flapjacks that are covered in butter and syrup, and Pau sits down and he has like played after play to them, and all I could think of on this when I first read it as a kid, I was like, Oh, thank goodness, Pa is getting something to eat, and as a grown up, I was like, why aren't you packing it to go bag? Like your family is across the street and to.
Speaker 4: Me, they're hungry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I also thought, but it never occurred to Laura, like she clearly idolizes her father in ways that feel unhealthy, unhealthy and familiar, and like ways I understand feeling before I had therapy. It's intense, though, to read this as a grown up. It's like meeting your own parents and being like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Sure, no, it is.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: And that makes me think a lot about the things that Laura chose to include in these books, because a lot of this feels like Laura is reworking a lot of trauma to make a childhood narrative that makes sense. Like everything is copy meets a Disney.
Speaker 3: Fairy tale totally Nora Efron meets Mickey Mouse, but the fairy tale leaves out not just stuff that happened in their life, but like it leaves out so much of what was happening in America at the time she lived in it. And on the one hand, I often think, like, how much can we expect a sixty five year old woman to shoulder in terms of accurate American history. The truth is, despite all the incredible lifestyle details included in the Little House Books, the books provide very little sense of what was actually happening in America at the time. At their best, they offer a sort of door for readers to walk through or drive through, as the case may be, to find out what is on the other side. Ideally, they prompt you to want to know more of the story and to start asking bigger and better questions. For instance, what was happening outside in America during Laura's childhood that might help explain some of what was happening inside of Laura's Little Houses. Next week, we're going through that door to briefly take a look at what was going on in the country Laura was traveling across with her family. That's next week on Wilder. Wilder is written and hosted by me Glennis McNichol. Our story editors are Joe Piazza and Emily Meronoff. Our senior producer is Emily Meroanoff. Our producers are Mary Doo, Shina Ozaki, and Jessica Crinchich. Our associate producer is Lauren Phillip. Sound design and mixing by Amanda ro Smith. Production help from Asavari Sharma, Christina Everett, Julia Weaver and Abu Safar Our scene in additional music was composed by Alis McCoy. We are executive produced by Joe Piazza, Niki Tor, Ali Perry and Me. If you're enjoying Wilder, please consider rating and reviewing us on Apple Podcasts. It actually helps us out quite a lot. Special thanks to Barbara at the Laura Ingles Wilder Park and Museum in Burr Oak, Iowa for showing us around the Gordon family for preserving the dugout site in Walnut Grove and a Leash, and the Ingles Homestead in Dismet, South Dakota. Thank you to CDM Studios. Please see our show notes if you want to know more about the people we interviewed, the places we visited, the books we mentioned. You can also find our contact and go there. If you want to write to us with your own thoughts and questions, we're going to be including listener responses in our final episode. If you have thoughts on Wilder or the Little House series, please send us a voice memo to wilderpodcast at gmail dot com. Follow us on Instagram at Wilder Underscore podcast and on TikTok At Wilder podcast where you can see behind the scenes footage from all our travels. Thank you for listening. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 7: No No