Speaker 1: What's up and welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast with your hosts Now fuck That with your loaw Glasses Malone. The thing about no sellings you listen to, I don't really do interview and I always find myself just talking to interesting people about the rest and shit and something I always looked at that you did that. I had an idea and everybody thought I was crazy, Like I had wrote a porno, Like I wrote it and I wanted to produce and shoot it. Now, I didn't want to direct it, but I wanted to produce it, but it was raunchy as fuck because it was a slave porn. I know myself, street crip right, like no for real, and it was like plantation. I was gonna shoot on a plantation, slave masters, slaves, you know, just all the crazy shit that can gone. And I wrote it and it's dope as fuck, but I just never could go through with shooting it. Now, I don't know if God was just on my ass, like niggas, you just I give you all this intellect and this is what you're about to do with it. But I just thought like I'm one of them type of niggas that like when I fuck with shit, I want to just make this shit. I want to make an impact. And I used to sell sharm like I had I was branding my sherm and shit. I had a really interested take, even though for real, my older homies to tell you, like I I'd be about to hustle and out write down, like when I start selling weed, I wrote down all them profits. I was looking at the ideas. Okay, these niggas is bagging up eight hundred and fifty dollars off of a pound of stress. Okay, well look I'm finna funk all that. I'll fit a bag up four fifty my nickel bags. Finna be crazy fact and almost got out hooded to a whole gang. Where was Pj's and Morning because I had these cheap ass bag But I can't help it. That's how my brain works as a creative, Like I don't know how to be in some shit and just get by you.
Speaker 2: To push the envelope, stretched the walls a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of oh yeah, oh god. So it's funny, you know when you were in with another creative person and you know too, like when do you feel like you kind of just was like, yeah, I ain't tripping. I've done enough. How long ago?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Well, easy Shuneral was music? That was definitely that was it the damn that I'm good, just that fast.
Speaker 1: I didn't you think that's twelve years. No, that's twenty five, twenty five eighty back then.
Speaker 2: No, he was you saying.
Speaker 5: He's saying how long ago it was record? You're saying it was twelve years into his.
Speaker 1: Career, had already been making record. I know for sure. I heard I seen surgery.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was I've been in the music game way before music. That was just DJ, like one of the first DJs graduy.
Speaker 1: So when the first time you DJ had to be? I think the first DJ? Actually I did.
Speaker 4: I was a kid my brother's wedding reception and it was eight tracks. I wasn't mixing or nothing, but I had cute all the songs, so I can just put it in the song and put play in. The hit of that album was there and I didn't know I was DJed. I was just playing some music.
Speaker 1: First time you got a table? Yeah, where's the first time you got a table?
Speaker 3: High school?
Speaker 1: So this is you high school? You had to be a Yeah you went to conferent Yeah, I wanted to go to CONF so bad. My mom was like, no, no, you're gonna tear. They ain't got no AP classes in CONF. Try to rest in peace, Olivia Man, she was not. Yeah, she wasn't fucking with nothing that didn't have AP classes. I think she knew my mind was already doing a lot as a kid. She was trying to keep it distracted with all of these different, you know, educational challenges. I still found some way to get pushed. So at that point, you know what I mean. You making records for sure? I know you were a part of making surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well no, well I made a record men clientele before surgery.
Speaker 1: It was called No.
Speaker 4: It was the same year, but it was just before surgery. It was called slice. And we're just doing it learning.
Speaker 3: Because that we were new to the drum machine, new the keyboards.
Speaker 1: All us.
Speaker 3: All this was brand new.
Speaker 4: Wasn't no going on online and listen to somebody something. No, it was all trying to figure out how to make a machine work.
Speaker 3: You had to read the manual back then. It wasn't on your phone and everything is there.
Speaker 1: It was just what was y'all cooking with? Then your first joint it was.
Speaker 3: The first one was an mx R. It was just learning and it was it was okay.
Speaker 4: But then the first song that I did me and Cliente was on the line Draw.
Speaker 1: And I just had Roger Lynn. Yeah, he had his own.
Speaker 4: Sand ain't the same. Then we went to the DMX. That's what we use for.
Speaker 3: Most of the music, DMX and ESP twelve and twelve hundred.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. You was already making thirteen records for thirteen years, so you probably gonna be done with it. Yeah, so nothing pushes your mind to do no crazy shit now, like just as a creative because no matter what, even when I argue with Doc, when I go see dre Right and arguing because he trying to act like you're not cool, bro, your mind can't be. He always be like, man, you always got some shit going. I'm like, how could you, like, how could my mind stop trying to have shit going? You know what I mean? I don't know, Like we I feel like all our experience has been so crazy that like I want to make a comic book, I don't. I don't my little bro metro man shit, we do marketing shit. I mean, we just constantly learning new shit about life and we lie to ourselves like it's about money. We be lying tell him all the time, you only feel like it's about money, because that's just you train to feel that. It's like this pursuit of just doing some dope ass ship all the time that drives it. And I'm just trying to figure out, like, how do you curve that? Because if you was making records in eighty two, nigga, you still to even be ahead of hip hop at that early yeah, you know what I mean? Like, I just was working on a joint and it took me back through some crazy studies because it was a It's based off Plannet rock, so it's the whole metro for so I'm studying, doing my homeworks and to only realize hip hop was influencing and B. I mean like a like planning rock probably is how Midnight start finally getting Oh yeah, you know what I mean. Definitely, And at the time of R and B was suppressive hip hop. So how do you curve that creator? Because I know it's still there? How stop you know something?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's there.
Speaker 4: It's just after the funeral and I seen you know, I have never seen a minute of a couple of funeral I never seen them put the cask in in the ground and put.
Speaker 3: The dirt and hammer it down.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I never they just wanted to do that for nobody was steal nothing or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, these weird people. And right then I just there was a couple of guys with me. I said, that's it. I'm done with music.
Speaker 4: I didn't think about it, didn't analyze it. It was just like it's gone.
Speaker 3: It's just like it just flowed out.
Speaker 1: But even the other creative parts, like because you end up starting to do some stuff.
Speaker 3: In the movie. I did the movies longer.
Speaker 4: I did them fifteen years, three hundred and fifty movies. I mean I filmed everything, edited everything, took all the pictures, did all the music.
Speaker 3: I was like a one mand just everything fifteen years straight. And it was just I was doing four or five movies a month.
Speaker 1: Who the fuck started you? Who fuck made you say you could do? Like DJ Yeller? Yeah, that's a ball for show, Like how did you?
Speaker 3: My buddy big Man rest in peace?
Speaker 4: He brong the idea first, he brung it to E about porn, and he just kind of just did nothing.
Speaker 3: He brong it to me, all.
Speaker 4: Right, let's do it, because see I thought my initial thought was, like a producer, like we do music, we do a git that's my idea to make movies like records, four or five records of months, so it's four or five movies.
Speaker 3: He brought it to me.
Speaker 4: I didn't, so I went out and bought the equipment, everything, no how to use.
Speaker 3: None of them had to learn it.
Speaker 1: That's fucking cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just it came in.
Speaker 1: Didn't fucks with you? Nothing about nothing. You don't see nothing to be like I need to create something in this No nothing.
Speaker 3: I'm satisfied with life.
Speaker 5: Right from my opinion, I think, just me seeing it. It's like with how everybody treat your generation. Just none of your generation you got and stuff. Y'all are like so y'all on.
Speaker 2: Mount Olympus, you know what I mean. It's like Poseidon don't need nothing.
Speaker 3: In two weeks were getting a Grammy lifetime for war. It's just okay, that's cool. You know, It's just I'm just satisfying with life.
Speaker 1: What's the last thing, here's something, what's the last thing that pumped you up? She was like, man, I kind of think I want to do fuck however we create minus anything. I don't give if you woke up and wanted to draw a picture when the last time you felt like creatively you needed to express.
Speaker 3: That sense.
Speaker 4: I can't remember since movies was that was it? So DJ and I ended up movies the same way I did music. Okay, I'm done, it's over.
Speaker 1: So do you think DJ? And that's even when you have to DJ at this point and create those daily mixes when you have to kind of like not daily mixes, but when you go to because you always get booked. Yeah, yeah, right when you mix, is that kind of like kind of the same thing where you're creating a flow.
Speaker 4: I'm having fun DJAN like in the old days when we was first me Andre was first DJ.
Speaker 3: That's the fun I'm having. It's because it's not I gotta creative, I got no.
Speaker 4: I just it's a dip'mos a different atmosphere because like next week I go to Australia, I'm always out the country and they still love hip hop like the old days, the eighties and the nineties, they still got it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's because they behind times or whatever, but they still like the old school and that's all I play is old school.
Speaker 1: I'm playing nothing new everybody.
Speaker 3: It's something about that. It's it's got real soul in that MU and means something and in DJ in is the same way. And I just a few years ago it came to me DJ.
Speaker 4: I never wanted the DJ ever again, and it just came to me. I'm like that then on use turntables and.
Speaker 1: Like I said, crazy, but then you got.
Speaker 4: I jumped in and like, okay, but see I jumped into different from everybody.
Speaker 3: Everybody else just carry their needles, headphone. No, I'm bringing my unit. I wanted to be the same.
Speaker 4: Every night, the same equipments, my same microphone.
Speaker 3: I think of it just like music. I'm doing it all.
Speaker 1: So that so maybe it is DJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a dope conversation with Lonzo about DJ. I was talking to him about I was writing kind of these like again, I'm one of those type of creators where like I'll be focused on one idea, like oh g, he's talking about where I'll make an album, but behind I'm writing so like I started writing kind of this hip hop story of the West Coast pre n W as all of us grew up like me, him, you know, he's younger than me. For our lives. N w A starts hip hop on the West coast, but now you're starting to learn about Uncle Jam's arms, trying to learn about you know, world class record cler and then you kind of get into the clubs. Yeah, I never knew niggas went to our pine village because when I got a car, niggas does not take your jail people over there, that white folks, you know what I mean. So I was talking to Lonzo about that our pine village stuff, and so I started writing. But I was just starting to really notice how like y'all are the first that took to hip hop DJ and I just thought that was dope. So now that for you to come back and love it as dope, I think we love it too. I think we even love it here. Still, I think we don't have the opportunity. I think I didn't travel, not like nearly as much as you, but I didn't travel a lot. I think Americas set to victim of what's the word convenience. So whatever's current, whatever's easy, But you can't tell me that if you don't put yellow or battle Cat in some place at some bar dja sect. We don't show up, especially if it's right there. But I think the promoters are just lazy. It's like, oh, what's the next hot thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah they're not. I mean they can call themselves promoters, but it's a totally it's.
Speaker 1: Just fly they make on their phone or what it's make it on their phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's different.
Speaker 4: You know, all Facebook, and that don't mean nothing.
Speaker 3: I got two hundred and seventy thousand people on Instagram, okay, but none of them live here.
Speaker 4: So I ain't dependent on filling this place up with the fan because.
Speaker 1: They from all over the world.
Speaker 2: I mean I can change that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's a great conversation y'all. Y'all love because he will tap your ship in. But again, this is one of those type of things that we just I don't think. I don't know like and again I don't know what n W A success feels. This is different. I mean, you start fucking the world up, you know, maybe you fuck up the world, you get tired. But it's so hard to imagine be not creating, like maybe not records. I could see that day. Even then, it's hard because I'm just starting to like I didn't, and I was hustling the whole time. So when hip hop saved my life, it was really fun. You still hustling, Yeah, it's well now now I'm not hustling at all. Now I'm just in love with you. Yeah, I'm still hustling. It's still yeah, but you're starting to find ways to. What I'm starting to find ways is like I gave you this vinyls, I don't got to be there to get the money today. Like I'm looking at my phone. So my homeboy outside of me and what I do and do my I go do my promotion and then my hoom waiting strongly where people can order music directly from me, and I sell my autographic album, my autographs. I probably do four or five a day. So I'm not there and that is a cool way to because it don't feel like hustling.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same, but it's just a cool new level.
Speaker 1: But I just couldn't imagine not creating, you know what I mean, Like like I said, I was writing something, I was writing the album that I that I just gave you. The behind the scenes, I'm writing hip hop on the West Coast from seventy eighth yeah, just starting with Roger and Lonzo, how he told me the story, how they worked at Alpine Village together, and then how they start going different, they find a different DJ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they became different. And then that's when I came right in. I mean because when I came in, Dre was not even a thought. It was two three years down the line before even even around. So I did all the leg work, hanging posters, snatching posters.
Speaker 1: Back then, you know, it was like this crewe us we enemies. I mean, like Uncle Johnson, We're still in me. So listen, it's funny. So my man Super six Edwin, who actually used to finance a lot of the Uncle Jam's armies Dragon Race that when drag race with my dad. Since I was a little kid, all those Super six that's what we called him. I didn't know he was involved in nothing hip hop related when it is like this esteemed kind of grown when he talked to us.
Speaker 3: He's super cool. I haven't seen him since them day.
Speaker 1: He had a crazy stroke. I'm praying, like, yeah, yeah, what I'm saying. He used when I realized that he was a part of it, and none of them will admit that it had to be a competition level. So the only people to ever admit it was you and Line. But I wrote the story ironically like these two competing parties crew, because that's what hip hop really is. No, it's a party.
Speaker 3: My first time going out snatching posters. We call it the rip. You don't take the whole poster. You just ripped the date in the time and the play.
Speaker 4: So are you seeing Uncle John Army? Nothing on the bottom? So I'm on Century in.
Speaker 3: Western It's a lot of poles on there. I'm ripping them. Rogers show up, but I'm went my guy, he's seven to sure. We're both from Compton. We don't know nothing about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay Central And I got a five pounds staple gun in my hand and he come up.
Speaker 3: You know, they come up on us, like what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I'm snatching these posters? That was my poster.
Speaker 3: Okay, what you know? We like what you gonna do? You don't know we're from Compton. You don't want to mess with it. And that was the first time I ever met him. Right there, they just say nothing else. But we kept on putting our posters on top of their posters, right in the face.
Speaker 1: I was crazy. So what was the competing venues at that point?
Speaker 4: It was, well, we had the club even after dark, we had a steady play. They would do veterans different places, the sports arena. It was just But then there was another crew called the Virgin Productions. We they hung their posters on ours.
Speaker 1: Who the fuck is.
Speaker 3: That they was?
Speaker 4: I think their career was over after this one night because the Wrecking Crew we all went to they danced before, you know, early.
Speaker 3: We mopped them up.
Speaker 1: Really this class as mobbing motherfucker.
Speaker 3: It was Linzo, me, Unknown DJ. It was like a whole from that neighborhood. It was a bunch of us.
Speaker 1: So Unknown was with so Unknown in the fucker with Uncle jam evinced No.
Speaker 4: No, well that was after the Reckon, after even after dark ended and then we started doing music.
Speaker 1: That's how I ended up doing that. But see that's Unknown was there before me and the recond crew. I never knew that. Wow. But I always tell Drake, I'm telling you. I tell cue, y'all do a horrible job of telling Like why if you read my book, you know, and that's what I had to do. Even if you had a book, you know what I'm saying, but yeah, we gotta know this ship because this is the funniest ship about it. Like I always share with the hummies because like it's a party. These niggas was all party because somewhere when we came up in the game, we were just all gaming. And don't get me wrong, we did go to party. You go funching and other people commuting, but you didn't realize that's what it pop was about. So we looked at n w A as if it wasn't fun, you know what I mean, because it was. The music was very active. Even the World Class Record Cup was all fun ship. But somewhere along the line it got away from that concept of this all is the descendantive party.
Speaker 3: Because there was no money. Early days of n w A breaking there was no money.
Speaker 1: Girls.
Speaker 3: That was my pa. If you game, you.
Speaker 1: Up in here, you know you come up in here, I finla get you. Ain't got to pay filming. You know, I'm the man.
Speaker 4: So he had a different drip. I can't speak for them. I had a different drive. It was about the girl. It was about nothing else.
Speaker 3: Wasn't about the.
Speaker 4: Money, And my whole career had never been about money.
Speaker 1: It can't be though I don't care about me, it can't be it's nothing. I tell him that all the time, and he think got crazy. I'm like, when you that's not what the music.
Speaker 2: They don't get.
Speaker 3: Music for money though you know that.
Speaker 1: No, no, but no, not like that. I mean, none of it can be about money, because if it's about money, I really genuine believe you sell it short like you have to kind of be in trend, like in like entrenched and just fucking fucking ship up. Just if you're gonna promote you got the best party on the box. If you're gonna make record, your record, go jam the hardest. This is kind of the people to me who really get paid. This is what they're thinking. They cannot be thinking of how to make money because you will take too many shortcuts.
Speaker 4: Well now, I think nowadays it's about the money because it's overnight. You know your success overnight, do something on TikTok or whatever you're hit.
Speaker 3: You know, no effort, no skill.
Speaker 2: Quick too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can get the.
Speaker 1: Barriers of entry, you know what I mean. Like even when I first came, like my engineer Guido, you remind me of Guido Jailly, But that nigga slammed the door on my face, like you gotta get tired. Like, remember, everybody didn't have a studio. This is oh yeah, three four. Everybody didn't have no fun.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, more people.
Speaker 1: Had it than fucking nineteen ninety, but everybody didn't have it. So we're recording on that. That means you got to pay the Oh yeah, all this crazy shit and somebody really got to know how to work just.
Speaker 4: In the box, oh I mean, and especially in our days, that's why we learned everything, mixing.
Speaker 1: Court everything from scratch. You didn't know, ye, so yeah, I was. I was thinking about that. But so unknown DJ was who originally was in the World Cup Alonso. When you first get unknown, and then the other people that were just was in DJs.
Speaker 4: Doctor Rock that was one of the first djsc Rock.
Speaker 3: He was a wreaking crew. He was the main DJ there. He from right around the corner from the Eve. Yeah, doctor ro doctor Drake.
Speaker 4: Can't where his name come from, but yeah, Rock was there, and it's so funny. He was the hottest. He was the hottest DJ when I got it. When I got there, he was only there one week. The next week he vanished.
Speaker 5: Hold on Nose is the bar that you say, like how there was a dude named doctor Rock and then Drake coming in behind and like I'm just like him. No, no, no, I'm not saying like that, but that is what happens, right, and then that person becomes even bigger.
Speaker 2: Than I know, Doctor Rock, Like, hold on, doctor, I'm the doctor. Like everybody again, it's the Doctor car.
Speaker 5: I know that has to be kind of irritated to a certaery, but you get at that's part of the game too, where.
Speaker 2: You got to be like, man, I gave Dre his name. He was looking up to me. You might, yeah, not know that.
Speaker 3: But they even thought of it was a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, in two three years, I get it, Like that's you just said that. I didn't want to just breeze over that to you.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's not doctor Rock.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The doctor went.
Speaker 4: He had to leave town because some guys or something he let him use their card whatever that, and they something happened.
Speaker 3: He had to leave. He went to Texas.
Speaker 1: They got a regular job.
Speaker 3: He went. He was a DJ in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ship damn. So that was the first class you was taking down the rips hoster. Yeah, so did you ever did you ever sit down? Did you ever talk to Roger? No? Never, you ever?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 4: And I was I was DJing, so me and Lonzo up like when they first did the Sports Arena, we get up there early and just check it out and that was it. We go back to the club. But yeah, I mean that was they was the enemy. Anybody besides us.
Speaker 1: Was the enemy. How does Lee or play to this? Was he anything of a promoter at that time? The white man lear Cohen, I know they said he was a promoter, but I don't think. I don't know if he was a fact he's from LA. The dude that was running death jamets over YouTube.
Speaker 3: Music, I don't know not. I never heard him a promoter from.
Speaker 5: I didn't know lys from LA mostly on New York though he is a you don't know a lot of was he deaf jam no leor.
Speaker 1: Is originally a dude from LA. Like he's been out here with the college out here. He was promoting on the same Really, I'm telling you, man, I'm been getting the game Linzo in school. He's like, yeah, that dude, and different people say, man, I know him from people listening he and he like explained by the boundly lyric Corran Cohen, like who are responsible for? So everybody that signed a death Jam post nineteen eighty four and he signed them. All these people signed the YouTube he started three hundred. He's like one of the most powerful people in the music business right now. He's over YouTube. He's like brilliant man. But he's from a U. I think he's a Jewish man that that uh for most parties. No, he's not from here, but he's from so where else. But he cut his bones right in that leant And around the same time Russ came and got uh the Posse, Arrol and all of them from shout out to l A Posse, Darryl, bobcat uh Pool buffing them. He met Lear. It became kind of like over management for Death Jim over rush, so Leo started signing all of this stuff. So that was a part of the whole Again, l A don't really excuse me. The West Coast of general don't get a lot of credit hip hop. But yeah, we was important even to Death Jim because you know, before that you had to to me, it seemed like you had to have like Hella, like weird acts like Beastie boys like you have a punk rock group that.
Speaker 3: Makes they had to get on the radio. We had no radio play.
Speaker 2: So that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I went gold and platinum with no.
Speaker 3: None, zero people, just exactly no video play for MTV bandits.
Speaker 1: Ye man, I didn't realize that band Rick James, They're really with a good company.
Speaker 2: I mean at the time that sounds like a bad thing, like they banned.
Speaker 1: But I was the only way you can see video.
Speaker 2: Of YouTube and Instagram was like we bandoned Metro. I would love it.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, oh yeah, but that's what like we got marketing. Yeah, Like like so what they do is like I go through a lot of that stuff now because my music is so like culturally salty that they kind of shadow banded and they won't ban you because they like, oh it's talent, but you can't market it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm me saying, cancel these nuts everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm just talking crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm just talking yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean for me, it's I mean, but it's real.
Speaker 1: Nobody won't real, nobody won't with people really, So when you I just you know, I'll never forget I made two pok months. To me, it's brilliant, right, it's crazy, right, shout out to niggas on the Mike. Niggas actually the one of the programmers, one of the most important programmers on the West Coast right here. I heeart you feel me Kggi al Nai. So when I said two pok months do here because it was like a thing, right. But to me making that song, I was just thinking what hip hop was. Right. This is me after meeting Eric Be. This is after meeting herk. This is after sitting down all the knowledge finding coming together, and I could make sense out of hippo as his street urban kind of experience. And we've giving people an entry into a life they didn't even believe it exists. So I'm circuling myself back to eighty two, right, So we make that good by ourselves. That was my first gold record and we made it ourselves. It was no label. This is just me understanding the party. So it's like, Okay, I'm gonna getting a parties a nigga who don't even like the party. Now, I'm gonna make me a party song now. Competing not got me one. Right Now, I'm figuring out hip hop, got records, and I'm getting marketing. I'm like damn so hip hop. Conna is like this take into this world that they never People didn't believe Compton was real. Like all the shit that y'all was talking about niggas, it was like, ben g, it ain't really like, yeah it is. That's I mean, it's fun, but yeah, that's pretty much attitude. Everybody talk like that, right, you know what I mean? Like they didn't like I had a conversation with doctor. He's like, man, I don't know, man, I feel like we influence so much bullshit. No, y'all just was saying the shit niggas was saying. I can see if you came up with some of this shit, but you ain't the first one to said nigga calling woman the bitch. This was normal. I heard all these niggas talking like this, grading them just how they talk. So as I'm kind of making my own journey in modern times through you know, basic hip hop, it was like, what does fuck the police sound like today? Like for the police today, don't sound like that. They play that ship on CNN. White man be like this fuck the police. When them niggas made that shit, I was a kid. I remember black churches being mad as fuck and mother, get.
Speaker 2: People killed the police.
Speaker 5: Today is Poundtown, my pussy pink, my boody old brown and.
Speaker 2: Sexy red type ship. It's with a shock factor to a degree.
Speaker 1: It's different people up only because it just wasn't like that song. I ain't even I don't even know why people make it all them things are accurate. Who cares her? They're just making a big deal out of something that's really late. It wasn't really like a prolific stand right, So but the audacity, like we talked about tell people your pussy pink, everybody had no you got a good point though, So but so I'm working on it, right and I'm like, what does this sound like? So now I'm and this is crazy? How chronicle my career round? I'm like, I got my party song? So I'm right here at the world class rentre. Now how do I get to straight out of comptent? What is that sound like today? What's the stands? Culturally? I mean that people don't know where can I invite them to that? They never thought this is how niggas like where I'm from think. So I started, I swear to god, it was just deep. Yeah. I started looking up the word culture fashion, location, religion, and one of the words was morality. Swear to God, it was like, morality, that's a part of culture, things that you know, certain places think is right and wrong. So I'm looking I'm like, damn, morality. I ain't never heard n w A. They made a song about attitude, but morality is I can go deeper, you know what i mean. Mind you, these motherfucker's been putting on for the cult of forty years. So everybody know us. Everybody know everything about our culture, every street urban culture, they know everything. Them niggas argue with me about gaming, I argue with me. I'll be like, bro, yes, it's really just you and your friend.
Speaker 3: No, it's more.
Speaker 1: There has to be more. You you have to follow a rule in this bylog you have to sign. It's not like that your friends, you know what I mean. It's really you and the guys you grew up with it. Sometimes shit happened and you got to handle it right there exactly. But I'm working on it. I'm looking at morality. I'm studying it, and I'm like, damn, So, what's a moral stands that we all have right here that nobody else had? And I came up with two different ideas because I realized from a market at that point, it had to be a story everybody knew, they just didn't know our side of the story. So I came up with two ideas. Remember it was both no, no, no, that was that was one for the TV show I was. I wrote this dumb TV show two sides. The one about the the LA riots. Yeah, when we talked about how the dudes may started the I had that idea and I kind of a nagodye idea call any white man a dude or Tupac must die, right, which was kind of this story about how if you jump somebody where we're from, we all know you might get shot, can't nobody? Yeah you guys heard it. Yeah, Yeah, it's crazy, but the visual sure all the time. Yeah, they think of it. And to me, it was like Shakespeare and and part of the title is so disrespectful, and I'm like disrespectful, Like, trust me, if you jump a nigga from where we're from, they not gonna say you must die. It's not gonna come out that way.
Speaker 5: And that and that's the part of the title too. Came on like me with him talking so much about marketing and stuff me telling them like, yo, people buy into two things, like movies and movements.
Speaker 2: So if you ever, like in the Red had a movement another thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, we don't have a big movement, but you are one of the best storytellers ever liked. So I'm like, it needs to be like a movie. And then you think of Romeo Must Die, John Tucker Must Die. Those are movies. So it was just a playoff of that. So we just took everybody to the movies over the weekend. So it just like how he reacted to it, Like everybody was like, but this is crazy, you know what I mean. It ain't something you keep revisiting over and over, but you remember if you've seen it. It's like I seen nothing like you know what I mean? And yeah, that was a lot of things. And people just.
Speaker 1: Noss because you're saying must I'm like, bro, that's not tough. That is if I'd be like, fuck, I hate Tupac, that's what we would say. But it's you know, Shakespearean to say it's poetic this person must die. But long story short, as I started to figure out the idea and I'm like, okay, I know how we all know how we go, so I just need to explain how it goes. But that kind of became me getting into nineteen eighty eight. It's like, let me write this kind of this cultural take about something that everybody knew about and then to me when we first was doing it, you know, metro Co producing a joint and I'm like, okay, this is cool, And even making the video, it was so second nature because this is like something that I went through and got jumped by niggas and I'm bust on the niggas help me. Ye could have gave me your head up. Niggay'all know me. But watching like y'all have like this hella crazy blueprint your whole generation. And I don't just mean I'm talking about the first day you got a fucking turntable. It's a hell of DNA right there that we don't really focus and I'm glad I learned it. So even sitting down talking with you, you know, I never thought I was gonna come ask Yellow about it. Nigga. I know your life, Nigga, they made a movie. I know niggas that know you told me you was early in DJ yell. You know, I knew. I know niggas that know you, so I know the story of it, but it just to really political somebody who has the experience of where it like, I finally fell in love with hip hop. Now I'll get to talk to somebody that saw it start, not nineteen eighty seven, in nineteen seventy nine, you know what I'm saying. Coolio was telling me he was right. We got wrapping at seventy nine rest.
Speaker 4: So Kolio used to come when I djated.
Speaker 3: Coolio used to come down and down to Eve.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, because I think it right, that's in the happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So a nigga from on the Park going to the Athens. I guess it probably wasn't that bad.
Speaker 4: Damn the Colors to a totally different neighborhood than that.
Speaker 1: Sure, I lot of pocket there, but I had to pass so I couldn't imagine how Coolio was going through the Athene.
Speaker 6: That's crazy. But you know what Glasses did. Did Lonzo ever tell you who kind of kept it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean for the gags, wouldn't be tripping a cat Dan. He's from the West Side named yellow Ice.
Speaker 1: No tell me about him?
Speaker 6: Well, Loonzo told me, and I heard it from Yellow Hece his real name is Keith duncan uh Lonzo because I even asked him.
Speaker 1: I said, man, he's like, yeah, well.
Speaker 6: Keith kept everything, you know, peaceful. Yeah, I mean because he he knew a lot of people from both sets. Yeah, I mean from both I mean multiple hoods, not this but and uh but yeah he was he Lonzo said, He's the one kind of kept the peace where he didn't have no no gang violence going on up there at the eve after dark.
Speaker 1: West Side has always been really influential, even before it was like extra gay, Like I remember when you really start hearing about them in a violent ways told with the nuning, but previously that day were really influential. Get some money and they were meant something and the gras scheme of what was happening, right, that's dope to hear that. That's that's crazy because I think about that all the time. And I was just looking at that super Bowl performance. Man, so that was cool. I like when they give hints and where all this started at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what'd you think about that when you've seen that on the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: I thought that was a player. I thought it was important. I'm I'm I'm I'm always on dreading them. Like even Dre was cussing up, cussing us out about two Pole. He was cussing me and met about damn it classes he's got some ship going on. Yeah, him cuts me out just made me smile. Yeah, he knew I was just getting off because it was like, this is just hip hop. I'm not It's not a stance. It's saying I didn't say funck nobody. This is just me being dope and people being sold. And like I said, intrigued with how he grew up, you know, I mean, well, once he figured it out, it made sense, and then everybody else told him. I think I don't think he actually looked at him or DJ Quick Quick cuss me out. Man Quick did a concert somewhere and he was on stage going off the fuck glasses pump motherfucker talking ship about Tupac and I'm just looking at the ship, laughing in the video like look at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me and g was kind of nudging each other like look this like this.
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 5: Like a lot of people thought it was like a reach, like a hell marry, and it's like no, we actually curated and concoct to something on purpose, like we can continually do this. It was just a and to see how many people froze up for two three weeks and everybody was yeah, it was like corrupt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think the initial.
Speaker 5: Gangster rihism of the nerve heard it as got that talk always the audacity.
Speaker 1: I ain't got nothing else two dollars, but he got some audacity. But now it was like when they all saw they was like I get it, even oh man, I get it. That ship is though, but I get it, you know what I mean? It was you know, I could imagine like I asked him when they put off the police and how crazy it was, you know, yeah, but now you look at that song. That is not how it was. That is not how that ship is. Now that ship is the theme of the world seeing then and don limit up there the police not how it was. It was fucked up.
Speaker 6: I think when I think when that came out, the world was upset at them for putting that out, you know what I mean, It was like.
Speaker 1: Here you say that like you like you yeah, you're talking about the hero talking about the you got the song right now.
Speaker 7: We just had the balls to say it saying it.
Speaker 3: You know in our days, you didn't say it to a cop. Yeah, all the COPI.
Speaker 1: I swear to God, I'll be hooking. I'll be like, he should fuck you up. I'm telling nobody else, I said on the podcast, some of y'all deserve to get y'all ass well, you shouldn't be talking to know he.
Speaker 3: Be a god fuck you motherfucker. Ain't live.
Speaker 1: Don't get fucked up a song, nigga, my homeboy, my boy Jesse. Shout out to Jesse, my boy Jesse. Who you know. We came up street racing together. He got a police hot so he's like a traffic car and he'd be pulling people like watch this. Sometimes he'd be on the phone with me and let me hearing our people talking, they'll be doing. He'll be like this, motherfucker been on the phone for ten minutes. I'm just following. You don't even see, I said, he said. Watch I pulled him up. Watch how they talked to me. Talk to me crazy, pull him over. He's like, well, you know you've been on your phone. No, No, I just was I was looking at the map. I've been sitting next to you. No, you just making shu up. See that's the fucking problem with the POE and they just start going bad. And Jesse from the Jump, Oh wow. So he like, fuck y'all motherfuckers. You motherfuckers think y'all too good. He like nigga I'm from the Jungles. He was like, Zee, this motherfucker from Crito's talking shit to me. So I don't. I'm not like even when I talked to Docum member. I don't blame hip hop for this. I think hip hop definitely give you some nuts. Now how you use your nuts different, I don't give a fuck how many n w A stigns come. I ain't never said that to the police, You lying man. I just said some ship to all kinds of human beings. I'm not gonna talk to no nigga that can legally kill me. Always figured out as a young nigga fighting the court, I'm the fuck with. Nobody had to tell me that. Something about talking to crazy to a motherfucker with a gun just never made got a budge.
Speaker 2: Like when I was in tu one of the cops sidebar real quick.
Speaker 5: Just on the police and the leverage they have, they said they will have undercover police they'll know drug dealers is selling drugs on the corner.
Speaker 2: That'll go up literally shoot the dude to.
Speaker 5: Shoot him in the head and then drop a knife next to him, be like he attacked me, and write a re police report that he attacked him and they have to shoot him. And I'm like, that's how they get really drug dealers in Trinidad. I'm like, that's crazy, Like if they was doing that out here.
Speaker 1: Like like like damn, don't.
Speaker 2: Be like drop a knife next to you. He attacking.
Speaker 1: I guess as a as a as a as a game member, and as a D boy, you know, for whatever being the game ever means. But as a D boy, for sure I understood their conflicts. You you have a necessary purpose in the community. My job is to not get caught your job. That didn't make me hate you, you know what I mean. I don't hate the defensive end. If I'm the quarterback of the team, I get it. This is our job. Some people man like I said, the army doing ship and maybe fuck you motherfuck up. Bro, you've been on your phone ten minutes. One time, one of them pulled over Jail, feeling you Jail didn't have no motherfucker drivers like he like, he called me, he was like, gee, what's up. I'm like, what's that? He's like, man, you fuck with jail felling. I'm like, yeah, nigga love jail feeling. He's like, all right for you. That nigga gonna be able to keep his car. Wow, where a god got to jail jail? It's going to good? Look it out, like, nigga, that is weird. You know how that happened to stell Son too?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 1: Chris Steel asked. Chris playing professional football, he got put over by the home you know, called me like, hey, is this nigga really your nephew? That's my nap Lucky you nigga, I know your uncle. Nigga. Wow, nigga crazy. So I always believe in having paid police friends. You ain't lying, you know what I get in w A's plight. But I'm always like, no, I'm not gonna We'll be on my own side. But I ain't even said fuck y'all. I did a song with a D You gonna look it up. It's a song with a D and uh one of my other homeboys, and it's a fuck the police officer. My whole verse is explaining why I'm not saying fuck because I genuinely believe, like you better mean this shit. And if I ain't talking about shooting nobody, I ain't got no bitines saying fuck.
Speaker 3: When Game, when.
Speaker 1: The whole Black Wall set shit first started with the g and this ship and Game was putting together ship, he was like, gee, man, we finished disting niggas. Youre trying to jump on. Nah, I've been at to shoot at fifty in them, So I'm gonna do this other song. You're gonna do this song? Okay? Cool? This ain't this nobody?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: I can't get in the middle of the ship that I don't believe in shooting the nigga. That's right. My friends really shoot you about this shit. I really careful. So austral you, how long is that trip? Like, what does that look like for you? Now?
Speaker 4: It's about fifty hours of flying forty five minutes set.
Speaker 1: I just see it. So so it's one.
Speaker 5: Day, yes, all in Australia for one Yeah, and it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Sydney is the closest I'm going to Purf, which is six hours from the.
Speaker 1: Like from New York twenty four and a half hour flight.
Speaker 4: I think it's twenty one plus airport time plus going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a whole day.
Speaker 1: Oh real day. I like how kids say today, Like no for real? So then you drop six hours that's I just sold.
Speaker 3: No, no, we fly another six hours.
Speaker 1: Oh six hours of flight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's across the country. Sydney did first. Yeah, so it's like landing in New York.
Speaker 4: And then I had to go to La Yeah, YO said, it's forty five forty five minutes?
Speaker 1: What kind of what kind of event is it?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: I don't know because when they when the deal, I don't DJ parties.
Speaker 3: I don't DJ the dance. No, they just look like.
Speaker 1: A performance like yeah, yeah, so it's just I seen I've seen Jeff do it. Jeff. Yeah. I just said like that, do you do you do you work on it? Do you work on when you get home or at this point?
Speaker 7: Nah?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: So you got your blends from samples, alty set set? How creative do you like to go with that ship?
Speaker 3: I mean I do more talking. You know, DJ don't talk to Mike. I don't know why, but that's how I grew up. You had to talk. You had to get the point to me. A DJ is not what you do. It's can you keep the party going from this time to that time? That's all. It ain't about nothing else. If the floor is empty, you ain't doing it.
Speaker 1: And who is your favorite DJ?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 3: Second?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 1: I never looked at other DJs, another DJ except Dre because we j first and then he come out. Yeah, I mean you never like no other person. I've never seen any because in the DJ days, we was always in the club DJ.
Speaker 3: So I never went to I've never been to clubs seeing up the DJ.
Speaker 1: That's how I fell as a rapper. Everybody my first concert I was there, ye, people asking me about they be like, man, glad you ever seen the WSS Like Nigga, I lived it. I had the same experiences, so look at it like that. But now I kind of find myself catching those moments when I can, Oh, really, I gotta check you out. I gotta come see it. So the first concerts you went to, you was actually rapping at the Normany Casino and Guardian Oh one.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's the other one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I met a hustler.
Speaker 1: You never went to a I never even wanted to because I really believed in the music as like a soundtrack. To how we lived. I was living it like when dud See the Shadiest One came out. We was in low riders, going on the boulevard as fresh out of high school. So all do you glasses now? I'm forty three okay, four forty four?
Speaker 6: Shit, So we just lived it though, And who was on that ticket with you?
Speaker 1: You remember? Oh? I did it myself. Oh every My whole journey into hip hop has been like God replaced. So I lost. I had a and I know this is a little talking to you. I had a popping as siren spot one hundred and eighteen in the moments and when I lost it, like, I tried to open back up a couple but shit, just everything that could go wrong with So I came up with this idea to start a record late, and I brought a tekiki. I'ma started record later, and everybody looked at me crazy, even though on my own boysards like nigga, you don't know nothing about rapping. I'm like, yeah, but I could wrap like I got a rhythm and I'm art tickling. I ain't never drink or smoke, so I'm soul like I could. I'm a great storyteller. Already and so I started working on it and I got good at it, but it was all to replaced the business loss. So I opened the Regulabel. So my first concert, nobody booked me for. We booked it ourselves. We sold all our CDs ourselves. I mean, I didn't. We came in with the same mentality of hustling drugs, and that's what I'm saying. Initially I was hustling. Everything about it was making money or how does it help the business? Twenty eleven, I started falling in love with the craft, the art of it all and what made it special. And then I start sharing it with my bro with Metro, like, hey, fool, like, it can't be about money. Dre used to say that, man, it can't be about no money. Rich ass nigga talking about it.
Speaker 6: But you know what, that's the same thing he tell me all the time.
Speaker 1: And I do that and it sounds crazy. I remember it sounded crazy to me. Nigga, I get it, and Higgas ain't crazy, I tell him.
Speaker 5: He think like I said, I'm forty, right, I got a seventeen year old, twelve year I got a wife, I'm making music twenty years You can't even do this eight years, nine years and I ain't no money.
Speaker 2: We just doing it for the love. Wife's like, what the money is?
Speaker 1: Money? It's different that I get what. I get what he's saying, but I know what see I'm telling them niggas is the same nigga, dread ya, same ship. So because I don't know how Dre really he acts like he be in there want to do something that nigga is like, man, we just gonna do but it had You have to be driven by the purpose of whatever it is. Right, if you making songs for the party, you gotta want It's like your whole purpose gotta be how to make the party go crazy with this song? When you making a film, like how do you you know, carry out the ship? And it gotta be that way you do business to make money.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't let him confuse you. My label called Timeless Music.
Speaker 5: So my initial I wasn't like I'm about to try to get rich, I'm gonna go make rap Like No, it's I'm in love with this and this is what I'm spending my life on. So this needs to generate business so I can take care of myself. Right, So it wasn't let's go get rich. I'm gonna make some mix, some records, like you know what I mean. So yeah, just so that's not misconstru true.
Speaker 1: Like what he said to you, It is just a business. But it can't be about the money. The business is just the business. But you gotta be I'll tell you right now, I'll be driven by different shit. Like when I opened up my site that's doing good now, the Cript store, I wasn't really worried about making money. I was like, Yo, I'm trying to open up something, make a store. People could come and they feel like a guilty pleasure coming to buy something from the crypt store. Who goes to the cryptstore dot com? You know what I mean. That's how I'm thinking. I'm thinking like them niggas start then and then you just do the business. The business is gonna pay you any you know. When I did my first thing at the Normany Casino, my older brother shout out to Pool, but Pool wanted me to sell tickets for it was a guy named Sean Healey. He would make all the rappers sell tickets to open up for like different hue right to get in front of the big audience. But he would charge you for the tickets. So the charge you three thousand dollars and you that to sell three hundred tickets to get your money. And I remember my brother came to me, was like, man, you know, we gonna we're gonna give him three thousand dollars and he gonna let us open up for who was it at that time if somebody baby nd thanks to something somebody popping in two thousand and four, and I remember looking like, I mean two thousand and five, I'm like, I'm not paying nobody to bring people today. That shit just didn't make sense to me as fucker, Yeah, what the fuck, I'm gonna pay you. I know enough people to come bring And so I remember telling my older brothers like, yeah, we should just find a venue and then we're gonna book it ourselves. And this shit nigga been street racing, low riding gang members selling us. We know a lot of people. We'll make them pay us to come see me wrapping. He's he looked at me, grady, He's like, nigga, ain't nobody finishes. I'm like, yeah, my CD been out there, we hustling and everybody know it. And they fucked with us. They fuck with me, so they gonna pay. And I remember that was our first show and I sold the tickets ten dollars pre sale, fifteen dollars at the door. My first concert I made four.
Speaker 3: Thousand mile wow, my first one.
Speaker 1: My third concert was for fred dre recipes from South Saw. All right, they booked me for their private but I refuse to pay other people to wrap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never when I hear about that, people paying to be.
Speaker 1: You pay to be on stage.
Speaker 3: For a couple of times, I'm like, what, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, because the way we grew up, we would never had We.
Speaker 4: Never had to perform in front of somebody trying to get somebody to like. We just did our own stuff in this pay to be an opening that what that don't make sense?
Speaker 3: It never made sense to me.
Speaker 1: I'm like a like a former advertising you know what I'm saying exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But then I look at it, like, why are you doing ten thousand songs and nobody know.
Speaker 1: Who you are? New York there doing a concert? No you aren't, So yeah, I open up for Yell, I open up for washing Malone. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, it's a different breed now. It's totally.
Speaker 1: No notoriety that clout or whatever for the rest of your life, career, you know, and that's what they're paying for.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, I've never understood it. I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I was like, no shirt, I would not pay.
Speaker 5: It's a question like when you see stuff like I don't know if you've noticed it, but like hit Boy producing albums for nas, right, like the younger generation working with the older generation. Is it people that you see on the West Coast that's younger, like a generation where you're like, man, I like to work with more people that you do. You ever want to like be in a mixed because I feel like me as a producer, like seeing y'all generation, like on the West Coast, there is like a disconnect where we talk about that like battle Cats should be producing Zoel Sama records, you know what I mean, Warren g should be producing Wally the Sense records, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like it needs to be. It can't be like we did our thing and y'all got to figure it out too.
Speaker 3: To they just separate, you know, they just but like you said, they ever get together.
Speaker 5: But like he was saying, we feel I feel like I'm from your tree, like you know what I'm saying. So when you yeah, he feels like he's from ice cube tree. So if y'all feel like there's a disconnect, that's where it'd be like, Yeah, it's like it's like cutting off your kids to it, dude, Like, yeah, y'all figure it out, grow up. But out of that now, obviously y'all figured it out on your own, and we are going to figure it out, like the next generation gonna come, with or without whoever's coming.
Speaker 2: People are gonna figure it out.
Speaker 5: But do you ever be feeling like like, yeah, you want to work with the younger generation or like yeah, rub those elbows and kind of.
Speaker 8: Or is it I mean if I was doing music, that'd be a smart way, yeah, to get with the new Yeah, the next general.
Speaker 5: When I think of like we're chroynic two thousand and one, I'll just be like I'm not even crying two thousand one. Like d times, I'll be thinking like, man, Dre just missed the opportunity to have obviously corrupt you know, dazh all of them eminem Snoop Dre and he could have had glasses problem, Nipsey, Hustle Jay rock like that was sitting right there in two thousand and seven eight and he just didn't grab it. And it's like he would have been responsible for that whole next generation to be like yeah, and he just like, now, y'all figure it out. That's kind of a feel.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna tell you. But I'm gonna tell you it his defense and I cannot believe I'm.
Speaker 2: Defending it, but the New West Press exactly.
Speaker 1: But it's really be the landscape. Like I don't think it was the art the rappers he had the problem with. I think he didn't have a sonic landscape that he felt comfortable, like he felt confident about, like when like you notice, when you start making music, you gotta have like a feel that's going on and then you hit something and then you rock. And I just think he just never caught that feel again about it. As far as the landscape of music as a whole, we got with we'll talk to him, we gonna see him and asking, but I just think the whole music landscape shifted. I think you have to dj. I think what make hip hop great is you have to DJ. You DJ and you know what's moving everybody at a party, you know what's making everybody feel good. And then the day you stop DJing. That could last a long time based off how much Timmy, but eventually, like you have to be in tune with the streets going on.
Speaker 5: I think, Yeah, you make more money, your your things in the sharp, you're not as hungry.
Speaker 2: You get to remove from the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what you did. I mean, I don't hit the album, most of them to come without.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're never going to go.
Speaker 5: I don't think we ever want Dread to make another Fuck the Police or make another Crown Tails one or exactly the chronic. It is like you know what I mean, Like, let's say Kanye, right with somebody like Kanye, it's like how much he changed directions and stuff. None of his stuff really sound the same, and his fan base kind of follows him and kind of still support him as a person.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what you if you still trying to make music over years, you have to change, of course, I mean.
Speaker 3: Your life to stay your own style, but you'll be in the dust.
Speaker 1: I mean, too short kind of guy. But you're still to say and I think we don't want that that's true. Like like I was hello critical and Drake drop Compton that sonic last gay, I was like, god, damn it, I need funky. So it has to be hard for any creative to be like, listen, you don't want to have a hit album.
Speaker 5: And then and you said that, like I said, you sitting that Mount Olympus. It's only down you could go. So it do make you be kind of like I don't know about putting out nothing because yeah, I know he probably look at Compton like like, yes, it came out of number two, like damn it, like yeah, it feels like a and.
Speaker 1: I'm sure when it left his in he felt confident about it. But then like if it I mean, artists art But then I think most people you know, still in the music business, no matter who, you still want to compete to some degree. I mean maybe you don't, but I think if you've been winning as long as some of them been winning, like you want to compete. You don't want to get your ass, you say.
Speaker 5: With him, he'd be very much trying to still be like I'm still better than all y'all, and I'm still like you know what I mean, you see that you know so I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess it's different people. We are individuals, you know.
Speaker 1: But and then and then you may feel like I said, I don't think he ever had the problem with him because all of us was already working with cause like, but I think it got to a place to where it was like the music, man is this music? Ship is great? So much ship. And then when you got it, you got it, You're on fire. Dogs like where you're looking in the dark? Where is this ship at? You know what I'm saying, Where is this ship?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, what you got to get to the point you gotta be done with it. I mean, just oversee whatever, or just.
Speaker 3: Go onifaication, go enjoy life.
Speaker 4: You get to that point, Okay, you can't make another hit. You can't do that because it's just it's just the way it is. The time's changed too much. The new generation is totally different.
Speaker 2: That's why I was staying top ten with the youth.
Speaker 5: Is where even me at forty, all my artists are ten years fifteen years earlier than me, and I stay very much top ten with them and give them game, but also give them room to them telling me certain stuff, and me just absorbing it and being like, all right, yeah, let's try that.
Speaker 1: Like my probably I want to hold the niggas that just think eather shit, you gotta listen to the youth. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Like he's my son seventeen, you know, I say seventeen.
Speaker 5: I can't tell him sometimes I love because he'd be like, I don't see what's so great about little wange.
Speaker 2: That's so good, right, because he's seventeen and he didn't see it, right.
Speaker 1: It's just funny to.
Speaker 2: See, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But you know what it is like. Also, like I think there's such a space at this point of hip hop if you you either that nigga you not. And I think it's the time when you feel like you're not it. So when you convince yourself you not, you know it's probably like I'm gonna do something else. But when you know it, you just know it, and at that point you just messing up how you gonna match up with current society at that time. That's how it is like for me as a creative right, it's like I got y'all covered, but let me see where'm gonna meet y'all at because I can't meet y'all right, where y'all at? You might have to walk up a little bit more. But I'm gonna put out some music. But i'm gonna catch you right at that. I'm gonna cut you all right at the past. And I got you. But I could imagine a time whereas a creative like I'm not gonna be as motivating.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, I mean that's what you think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: We don't want it to happen.
Speaker 1: But for sure, which I can make, I'll probably still be making them by myself.
Speaker 2: So we didn't really, I'm sorry. We kind of went on the tangent.
Speaker 5: So do you want to put your fingerprints across things on the coast again or with music at all?
Speaker 3: Or you No, I'm good, I'm satisfied.
Speaker 1: But to you other credit, I'll give you credit though. You're not the kind of person that won't talk to somebody. If they want to talk to you, they could come say hey, and this is what I tell you that I think we got wrong when we came in, Like we feel like everybody, all the elder should be teachers, and they are, but maybe they don't. That's not the drop. I don't think you run this motherfucker trying to ministry hit become yesterday and now listen to But if I ever reach for you, I could always grab you if I had question even here today. So I think that's all we really couldn't use. And I always tell people like different I tell here and I'll be like heah, man, you need to make sure you reach out to yetherw just this nigga knows some shit about djaying that niggas don't know. So again, I think it's on us to carry the legacy of it all being in past information like shit were talking about now, so now it's dope to when I start writing that store, I'm gonna be able to reach out like, man, look, could you do this? And I think everything else will work your cell phone as long as I'm you know, driving the car, I think I feel pop it off, feeling.
Speaker 6: It you know what, I'm gonna just piggyback off what you said because like my son, he's sixteen, right, and so you know I'll be with yelling a lot. And you know he was even talking about like these current rappers. He's like, oh dad, n w A wasn't all that. I said, son, you you sixteen, and you have no idea like you know, like like what you'd be trying to explain to your son. It's like they don't understand. He's like, I will so and so got more money than in w A. I said, well, the money was not like it is today. But I said, and on top of that, they made original music, lying and.
Speaker 1: Niggas all got that. I'll be telling me or oh I know, but line, I know. So the next time you he Joe saying, you called me on three way glasses.
Speaker 6: Look he be so you know, and I'll tell him. I said, so you gotta remember what you you think they don't have that. But see, I mean you know because you on you own to.
Speaker 1: See they got all this money. I'm looking at niggas line exactly.
Speaker 6: And so I'll be trying to explain to my son and his friends. You know, they in my car and they you know, they be teaching me. They called me out, what's up, mister Yeller because they know he's my boy, and I'm like, I'm not yellow, I said, but that's my partner. And they was like, oh, well, how is he does? He got a big house? And then I said, he got a decent house. I said, but it's not about that. I said, you see these rappers on TV and this and this and that, and I said a lot of stuff you see, they don't own it, you know, I said, but n w A, you wouldn't have the rappers you have today without standing on their shoulders.
Speaker 2: Like we all like.
Speaker 1: In w A money. Them niggas don't got like NBA talent up all the money and ship between the amber w A about three.
Speaker 3: Four niggas exactly.
Speaker 1: The ain't just yellow yellow got some money, but this is niggas got some money too, right, and nigga got the white people money. And look and so when he like when you gave him this your album, right, he's like, who who? I don't know.
Speaker 6: They are the reason that these lady advisors, they created this label because of them. But see when a lot of the teenagers or the youngsters, they don't know that. Man.
Speaker 1: My dad used to say something to me that you is wasted young because if I was again, I remember they used to say this ship now I'm one of them niggas. Yeah, I was like, damn, I wish I knew this because I'd have for sure been a savage exact because you said, like, if I was your son's age and I knew what I knew, that I'll be asking these niggas every question why I'd be a monster by nineteen biggas, Boy, they be government tried to.
Speaker 3: To kill me.
Speaker 1: I got too much power. Exactly, these people going crazy exactly, that's type.
Speaker 5: This is like an NBA player today, Anthony Davis standing on Bill Russell's shoulders. Of course, Anthony Davis has way more money than what Wilt Chamberlain ever saw, but he wouldn't exist without them and stuff.
Speaker 2: So you can't shun him or be like, oh that niggas ain't nothing read to them. It's like, bro, you sounds crazy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Again Again, if everybody so many me and Charlotte Mane talk about this all the time. Bro, so many niggas can lie about what they got and then obviou see them like all the niggas. So that's why I stopped even caring about the money conversation, even the Oprahs and shit, that ship line. It's a lot of exaggeration, but something I want to say, I'm gonna let you We're gonna cut the shit off. Me and my nigga was talking right and we was talking about Easy. Now, I've really been doing a really great job. I don't I don't like talk talking to yellers, dope, because I get to talk to Yether. There's certain like I can't talk to you. I don't need to talk I'm not these o. I don't got to talk to you about Drake Is. I don't talked to Drake Qne myself, but I can't talk to Easy at this point, right. So now to know that you and Drake could do in w A, he saw that that was evident because of what she was able to do with the world class. So even if he questioned it, at least at that point he was what these niggas know how to make the yeah? Yeah, I mean so, how the fuck did he figure out Unique was gonna be able to do bone because Unique hadn't done anything except the stuff that he did on woofless with the the what's that group?
Speaker 3: Unique?
Speaker 1: He did something before boom, That's what I'm no. He did what's those dudes that was on woofless? It was two dudes? Now you're on market? Yes I did that, Okay, I did all them. So then how the fuck did he figure out Unique was gonna get a do boom? Like? How did he get that? Right?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Because when they came in, people don't really know.
Speaker 4: I met them first. Man, he was doing the show backstage. They walked in singing, you know, rapping to well.
Speaker 1: I'm like, dras, you see this.
Speaker 3: Guy over here, go talk to him. Eric just came back in.
Speaker 4: Y'all talked to him, and by the time we got off the road trip, they was in LA from a bus and I'm just like.
Speaker 3: And they heard my song that I made for you more Mark he call for the Love of Money exactly. I didn't even know they heard the song.
Speaker 4: I guess Eric let him in it, and they made the song for I don't know if that was first or Unique song for it, but I didn't even know they was rapping to it.
Speaker 1: They said, oh yeah, these guys wrapped up?
Speaker 3: Who wrapped on what song?
Speaker 1: How the fuck did he figure out Unique was gonna be able to do that? I don't like, it's easy to gamble on you and Drake. It's easy. I mean, it's don't get me wrong, It's a childish, young motherfucker's making music. Yeah, Unique had done ship.
Speaker 3: I don't know how that one happened, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You usually always take a group gonna take him there, dre and yelling like Unique does the records. It's just crazy.
Speaker 3: Or something already. He must have had one made. I'm quite sure he must have, because I'm like, he just came from nowhere. I am never heard of him from anything.
Speaker 1: It was. That's crazy. That's one of them things that in the whole landscape of people talking about easy and business, that's hard. Remember when you lose your producer. The end of cash money for young Money was when they lost Many and the no Limit when they lost Beats by the pound, and the Bad Boy is when they lost the hit Man, the end of death row. He lost Drake right, but Ruthless Right, You spent over and you get Unique to produce, which is probably a top five time. How the fuck do you figure that out? Remember nobody figured that. They figured out easy figure that out in the nineties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they just a lot of people be under raising, underrating the producer being there.
Speaker 2: They think, oh, it's just nigga making beans.
Speaker 1: Eric had an ear, but he didn't have an hear he can produce himself to get out of paper bag, not at all, or or yeah or right around yeah.
Speaker 3: Nothing. But he just, I guess, took a chance. That's what I think. Just took a chance. Gimble, he knew how to roll them dice, so he rolled a seven eleven, seven eleven.
Speaker 1: Good looking out for tuning into The note Seller's podcast, Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced by my homeboys A King for the Black Effect Podcast Network and now Hard Radio. Yeah Sti