Speaker 1: Does an opera have to be in a foreign language or can it be in English so Americans can understand why they hate it? Toshha, tosh sh Hello, welcome to Tosh Show. I'm Daniel Tosh and with me, as always is Eddie Gosling. April fools. Eddie's not here, Okay, he's in Florida visiting his father in the hospital. The joke's on you guys now. He's been a good son taking care of his dad. We wish them all well and I'll be back next week. By the way, if ever there were a time to talk shit about Eddie, now would be the time. Yeah, you know, he's not here to defend himself. Well, let's go. What's your biggest complaint of Eddie? Start? Okay, I don't think he's a good husband. April fools Hey. For that, how it works, you just say lies and then just April fools Hey. Speaking of which, I always put my foot in my mouth. I mean just it's just a thing I do when I talk to people. I'll say such random things out of nowhere, and then I find myself just constantly in horrible situations. Well this happened recently. I went on this rant about this person that was bothering me, and the guy that I was ranting to out of nowhere just stops me and goes, hey, just you're gonna feel bad about this, but you shouldn't because you have no idea. Yet. You have no idea, but the person that you're talking about is my brother. And I was like, oh, oh, I did not know that. But then I didn't stop. I just I piled on a little bit because I felt like if I stopped at that point, sure, you know, I wasn't gonna make my point. I had to continue on a little farther. Listen.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was awkward. Did they agree, yes, okay, no, no, they agreed, but they were like, there's a lot of a lot of things contributing to why his brother acts that way. Just the fact that I didn't know. I just thought I was talking about a random person. Next thing I know, it's like the guys asked my brother. I'm like, oh, okay, well this is why I don't go to parties. Do you feel differently now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, No, the person's horrible. Okay. Anyway, hey, you know when you have children and people always like say, oh, you'll feel different about that when you have kids, and for the most part, none of that is true. Recently, I was watching and john Wick four with my daughter. She loves it before bedtime. You know, just a quick three hours of screen time, lots of violence. It helps a two year old through the night. I was affected by this movie in a way I never thought I would be affected by a movie. You know, like people have kids and they say, oh, you know, you hear a tragic story about another child, and it just affects me so much now that I have kids, and that never does that never affects me. Well, I was like, whatever, that's your problem. I'm glad that didn't happen to me and my family. But now when I watch a movie like john Wick four, where he just goes around killing people in the movie, I get affected by it in a different way. You know, these nobody's that aren't crucial to the story. They're almost like extras that just get shot and killed right away. I'm like, oh, my goodness, that was somebody's That was somebody's son, you know, a mom and dad. They raised that kid, and it went through so many things. And then I mean all the sacrifices that they made for this child for him to storm john Wick way too quickly in a room and just get fucking shot and dead. I'm like, what an idiot. By the way, john Wick four, is he dead at the end? I don't even know. I just watched it. Guys at the end of the movie dies or that you think he dies, but you don't actually see his body and then you see a tombstone. He's not dead always, So there's gonna be a john Wick five that'll be exciting anyway. John Wick four was like it was beautiful. That whole movie is. The locations were beautiful. Long. It's like it's long. It's like an opera. Yeah, have you ever been to an opera? I have. I think the reason that I've never been to an opera is because I know that it's long. I know that I won't understand any of it, and then there's just tons and tons of strangers surrounding. Oh and I also have to dress really nice. That is a triggering scenario for the old ibs. Shitty in an opera house. I'm guessing that the opera houses have nice bathrooms, but what if I don't have an aisle seat. The good news for me is I don't have to go to the opera. The opera is coming to me. Enjoy Pasha. Today's episode will be about the life of an opera singer. The story follows the love affair between a woman and her desire to sing between the notes of middle C and D five. Performing in the role of my guest whose voice might make you weep, Please welcome mezzo soprano opera singer Danielle Hello. First question, mezzo soprano? What is that?
Speaker 3: It's basically a metso is kind of between the high soprano and then the lower range of the voice of an alto. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it the most prestigious It is.
Speaker 3: Not, but it is the cooler of all the voice types. Like you get to be the witch, the bitch, and the pants basically, so you get to be like more of a fun, dark colored voice.
Speaker 4: So you get to also get the fun, dark colored I.
Speaker 1: Like the witch, the bitch, and the pants.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've never said that in my life, but I know that I will from this day.
Speaker 3: Forward exactly be a metso.
Speaker 1: Oh man, do you believe in ghosts? No?
Speaker 3: However, I don't have.
Speaker 1: To talk after that, just saying no, let's hear this.
Speaker 4: However, I understand why people could believe in them.
Speaker 1: Yes, sure, I can understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like there's energy, and like you can walk into a room and it feels amazing or it feels really awful, and that's like it's just like energy. So I get that. And then also brains do stuff.
Speaker 1: So I understand why half the country voted for Trump. Doesn't mean I accept it. No disrespect to your peers. But are you small for an opera singer?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, I mean I think is that just something that we were always taught because of loony tunes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the good thing about if you're a little heavier is like you've got like a different center of gravity and like you you're you know, the space for your resonators is like slightly larger.
Speaker 4: But no, that's it's otherwise a myth.
Speaker 1: If I want to start just practicing the opera, give me some pointers to how I can, you know, just around the.
Speaker 3: House, just make fun of opera singers, like that's the best place to start.
Speaker 1: And I also think I have to make fun of like a language that I don't really speak. Oh, you're from the armpit of America. We talk in North or South Jersey.
Speaker 4: North We smell sweet in that pit.
Speaker 1: Say coffee talk, coffee talk. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't have the big accent, did you ever? No? No, The only word that I can't, I can't really say is like orange or draw, like people like the address or draw.
Speaker 4: I can't see them, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: That's my only accent accent.
Speaker 1: You still go back to Jersey ever? Yeah? Yeah, you have family there still. Yeah, So, Tony, did that speak to you as a young child.
Speaker 3: It makes me a little nostalgic surprisingly that I grew up in a town where it was very similar to the town that they lived in. Yeah, that's all I can say.
Speaker 1: Are you Italian?
Speaker 3: No, I'm French and Irish and English and German.
Speaker 1: Ah, I'm in that world too, I think. Yeah, I'm French, Irish, German something like that. I never could understand it. Talk about your childhood in New Jersey. Okay, what was it like living in that hell hole?
Speaker 3: I loved it. The Jersey Devil is a very good leader of hell. I guess I don't know. I love Jersey. It was a beautiful place to live. We were super close to the city and we also had the countryside, like I used to go horseback riding. It was idyllic.
Speaker 1: I hate Atlantic City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, why would you go there?
Speaker 1: Isn't it weird that it didn't work that, like like, oh, we're going to have another little like Vegas, the smaller one here on the east coast. In theory, you think, oh, of course this country would relate by the beach. Doesn't work.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, no offense. Now, if they want to have me back, I'm sure I'd love to do a show that you went to college at Indiana University and then you transferred to Arizona State. You probably don't know that, Yeah, you probably do. You know that I was in the Nacoho Hall of Fame. Yeah, that is just a big.
Speaker 3: It's a huge deal.
Speaker 1: I've performed at thousands of colleges. Indiana University, I believe if you're there at the right time, which I'm going to say mid April, is the most beautiful campus I've ever stepped foot on.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous there.
Speaker 1: Like if you're talking about, oh, I want to know what if you fantasize what a cool college experience would look like, it's that campus.
Speaker 3: But then you like go to ASCU, and then you're like, I just walked onto the set of Clueless. It was like very Yeah.
Speaker 1: As to the slots at ASU, that's exciting. I mean yeah, Rage Castle, all Rage Castle? Do you ever already at Rage Castle at ASU?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 1: My good, Rage Castle. Now we have no idea we're talking about. We went there one time and a bunch of the people and my crew went to a place called rage. It was embarrassing. Which did you like better? Which experience was better for you? Indiana University or ASU?
Speaker 3: I would say ASU is better. Like as a vocal performance major, Indiana was really great for people who were like in their master's program, but for undergrad it just wasn't enough for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, how did you get into the opera? So?
Speaker 3: I was a music theater kid and I always wanted to sing. My family they do not really love music, and mom like actively did not like music for a very long time and now she's like really trying.
Speaker 1: So they like wouldn't play music as in the house and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: My mom would play Julio Iglesias and that's it.
Speaker 1: That is sexy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I understand, I understand the Julio, but like that was it, and I would like be practicing on the piano.
Speaker 1: I like you had a piano, though I did.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Atlantic City and gambling, I was able to win, like I think it was like twelve hundred dollars on a cruise ship when I was nine years old. Okay, this doesn't international waters like there are maritime lot I believe in it. So anyway, so I was like, Dad, can I pull a slot? And I put in a quarter and out came twelve hundred dollars and I'm like, now we can buy me a piano.
Speaker 1: Now talking about one pole, you had one pole with a quarter and you got twelve hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you would have played the bonus the max amount per that slot.
Speaker 4: I was nine.
Speaker 3: I did not know about it, and.
Speaker 1: I messed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, messed up.
Speaker 1: You probably left a huge jackpot on the table. Seriously, anyway, So you said I'm gonna buy a piano with twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like I think Premie dolls or something like that for my sister and me.
Speaker 1: The fact that your dad let you have the money is pretty good because I'm guessing that wasn't your quarter.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, it's my dad's quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good father, I know he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a good father. But yeah, So I bought a piano and I bought the Premie Dolls and I gave two hundred dollars to the church because I always really wanted to tithe I was Catholic. Yeah, I was like super proud and my parents were like, tell father Carl, how you got the money? Yeah, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Give you that true hundred dollars back.
Speaker 4: It's okay, I'm just going to donate it to the Catholic.
Speaker 1: Don't give me. Are you still big into the Catholic Church?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, I like the ritual.
Speaker 4: I think the ritual is cool, you know which one all of it?
Speaker 3: I like like going to a thing and doing like like having something super meditative like that. If you go and you do rituals, it's very meditative.
Speaker 1: The Catholic Church actually scares me the outside of it. Inside and chance.
Speaker 3: Yea, all the chances are my favorite part.
Speaker 1: Do you belt out the chance? So people are like, oh, there's Danielle Boxious.
Speaker 3: If I have to go to a Catholic church, I'm going to sing. I'm going to make everybody else around me like be like what and I'll be like turn to page three hundred and seventy five or whatever it is. Yeah, I love singing.
Speaker 1: Well, I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right.
Speaker 1: Did you know how to play the piano before you bought one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like been like begging for lessons, Like I was that nerd kid that was like if I do this, can I have piano lessons or voice lessons? And yeah. So I always wanted to be a.
Speaker 4: Musician ian child right here.
Speaker 3: Well not for my parents, because my mom would be like stop practicing, or she'd be like stop playing it over well, because she'd be like, you're playing the same thing over and over again. I'm like, it's called practicing.
Speaker 1: Holy cat.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, did.
Speaker 1: She have you when she was sixteen or something? Oh my son practice all the time. But he's played on the piano. He's five, And I can kind of make out the greatest Showman song that he's playing, Rewrite the Stars, and I literally just like get teary eyed.
Speaker 3: I just almost got teary eyed for you. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's the best thing in the world. Meanwhile, your mom's just screaming at you.
Speaker 4: To knock it all I'm singing so high. Yeah she Yeah, I'm singing so hot.
Speaker 3: And that's why I'm a Metso.
Speaker 1: Okay, get me from that to being an opera singer, okay.
Speaker 3: So then I really was focused on music theater. I went to college. When you study voice, you always study classical voice because it's the healthiest position for your voice to be in, and then you kind of learn how to do music theater and things like that. So I was pretty much, you know, studying classically but with the idea that I do music theater. My last performance in college was the Coronation of Popeia, which is the second opera ever written, and it is gorgeous and fun and I got to act, sing and dance and also learn history. I am, as I said, a nerd, and like, I love history. So it just felt like I could research so much. I could really get into these characters and I loved it. I loved it. It just felt very holistic to me. And that's when I.
Speaker 1: This was was this it ASU?
Speaker 3: Yes, that was my final semester of ASU, and so that was it.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was definitely hooked. I wasn't like great at singing classical music at that point, and it took me a while to do it, but it was just you know when you like feel that passion for something and you're like m hm, yes, like you don't have any other choice but to pursue.
Speaker 1: You said, this was the second the one that you performed was the second opera ever written. How many operas have been written? Oh, it's infinite, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot. Okay, Yeah, I don't know the answer.
Speaker 1: Have you ever written your own opera?
Speaker 3: No, there's there's one that I think I will eventually write.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm gonna ask a ton of dumb questions would make sense. When a popular opera tours, can a director are they allowed to take any liberties and change the songs?
Speaker 3: Oh no, or tweak them, or sometimes people will rewrite them. But operas typically don't tour. Every once in a while there will be a certain thing where like I did a tour in Germany, for example, where we would take a couple of operas to very historical locations and perform them there.
Speaker 4: But no, like, you really don't touch it.
Speaker 3: Mostly you might edit within it, so you might like cut a scene for time's sake or whatever. But pretty much traditionally, you're going to do what the composer wrote.
Speaker 1: How long's as a standard opera?
Speaker 3: About three hours?
Speaker 1: That's too long, but it's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get intermissions?
Speaker 1: How many intermissions?
Speaker 3: Usually too you get two intermissions and it's like a spectacle.
Speaker 1: I get it. But now you're talking. Is that three hours with the intermission?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Usually we try to, like nowadays, we keep it short. But like imagine, like back in like the days before TV, and like you would only go out once every like month or so.
Speaker 1: I refuse to think about life. There's no reason.
Speaker 4: And also okay, so this is funny.
Speaker 3: A lot of operas, especially in France, were written with the idea that people would go to the opera and the ballet dancers would do a ballet, but then the gentlemen that were there for the ballet would go and canoodle with the ballerinas.
Speaker 1: Bang ballerinas. I had no idea you might be an opera guy. Yeah, I love the opera. What language would, in your opinion, is the ugliest sounding for the opera. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I have not come across that yet.
Speaker 1: Let's go your preference.
Speaker 3: I sing a lot of French opera, which I think is wonderful, It's beautiful, It's gorgeous. That's my favorite language to sing in other than Russian.
Speaker 1: Russian, say it not in this podcast? I know, I know. Don't you go canoodling with Putin here?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no conodling with Putin? But my god, Russian music is so gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Can you speak these languages or do you just memorize the song and can sing in all these languages?
Speaker 3: I speak some of a few of the languages, like French, Italian, German, but then Russia I can barely speak. But also like a lot of it is pre revolutionary, so I would sound like I was speaking Shakespearean English if I was actually to speak in the same you know words as you.
Speaker 1: Can just you can just memorize the song in any language.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there's like helpful ways, like you can you know, read the IPA so that way your pronunciation is really good and specific, and then you just memorize the words and the feelings behind them.
Speaker 1: So talented. I can't learn the words of Grace the Abrams song, Like I listened to these songs over and over, and you know, my son will sing them verbatim. I think when you can't sing For some reason, you just can't learn the words to songs. That's my theory.
Speaker 3: I learn a lot of the wrong words to songs, especially if they're like pop songs, like yeah, yeah, it's it one. It's more fun, like you if you don't need to know them the like, make them your own.
Speaker 1: You like singing in German?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. It's beautiful. I mean, if the music is gorgeous, everything is gonna be great. But my favorite thing about singing in German is like when you're holding a really long note and you're like, I can't hold this any longer. They have such good like endings to the words that a lot of times I'll be like, and it sounds like I sang longer than I really did, so you just like put the consonant on the end and you're like, I just sing super long.
Speaker 1: How often are you singing, like really belting out every day?
Speaker 3: I should be, but no, you should I should yeah, like you should be singing pretty much every day?
Speaker 1: Like an hour? How long you sing?
Speaker 3: You know, I'll spend like maybe like fifteen minutes on it. But if I'm working on a roll, then I don't really spend time like singing singing. If I'm preparing something, I will literally be you know, doing a few measures at a time and like refining that measure. So I might work for like two hours on that, but it's not like belting out a song.
Speaker 1: Run me through some warm up exercises. Should I do these before every episode?
Speaker 3: Ooh okay, yeah, so when I start warming up, I actually don't really like sing sing. I do more like this is actually really great for voice actors. You can tell a dramatic story but with your mouth closed like a blowfish. So also you look ridiculous, so it goes and it just gets you into like a better resona resonating placement, and it drops your layings down.
Speaker 4: So it's really healthy for your voice.
Speaker 3: And the reason why you want to tell a dramatic story is so that way you get pitch range.
Speaker 4: Quick little tipat blowfish.
Speaker 1: I had a really bad sore throat for about twelve years from performing okay, and then I would go see you know, my uh what my I and T guy and they would give me these exercises like every night, I want you just to spend like five minutes talking like like this way, and I never did it, and I was like you know what, I'll just have a sore throat.
Speaker 3: You know what if it gives you a little bit of color.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just was like, I don't I'm not going to do these things. Yeah. When I see actors and musicians doing those things and I'm just in awe of how fearless they are. I think that's why I was never a good actor, because I would watch people audition and they would be practicing in the hallway yea, And that would always just mortify me. I was like, Oh, what are they doing? Don't do that? I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird to like practice in public. But I catch myself like singing and you know, like as I'm walking down the street and stuff, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Well, whatever, how can you hold your breath?
Speaker 3: I don't know. My friend got into like free diving, but like now I'm like I need to do those exercises.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't hold my breath that long. I try.
Speaker 3: Singing isn't about holding your breath though, it's like about releasing air, but it's not like you don't hold it.
Speaker 1: I gotta try. I gotta try it and stand up. See how long I can hold a joke. Yeah, just let it rip. Opera house versus a theater, they're different, yes, somewhat.
Speaker 3: I think that an opera house is built for the acoustics but can be used for general theater as well, you know. And that's why, like you might end up having some microphones in places because they're not really set up acoustically for opera.
Speaker 1: That's cheating, though, right, total cheating, cheating to have a microphone. I've done it before. You ever done that Eddy where you're at a show and they're like the microphone doesn't work for whatever reason, and you're like, I'm just gonna go for it. No, I have done it, you really. I've done a college where I was like, all right, this isn't worth it. Here I go. I'm just I'm gonna I'm gonna rip the voice, but I'm gonna project.
Speaker 3: I did have my microphone turned off gig at the airport.
Speaker 1: I did. I had my microphone turned off doing a show in Mormon Land in Utah once when I was younger. They said that'll be enough. That college was like, yep, nope, we're not going to have Oh no, And I'll be honest with you. I was working under the rules that they had given me at least in my head. I was like, because this was a this was a I was very handcuffed. But when people told me what rules were before I did the show and I accepted the gig, I would I agreed to it. Yeah, so I would like, I'll give this a shot. Let's see how funny I am without talking about anything. But sure enough they were like, you know, no, that's it, You're done.
Speaker 3: You had to do the soda joke. He just had to didn't even.
Speaker 1: Do a soda joke. I don't know what I was talking about. I remember just kind of awkwardly walking off stage and like, am I going to get paid? I got paid?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: A favorite outdoor venue that you've performed at. Oh, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's a castle in Germany in like the Rhine area. The count and the Countess still live there, and they like had us to dinner and they were like super obsessed with dentists. Yeah, it was very funny. They kept asking about our dentists. They were crazy and wonderful. They were great people.
Speaker 1: I as far as born right off the Rhine River in Germany.
Speaker 3: But really, oh, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: What town?
Speaker 3: I don't know it.
Speaker 1: Why would you yeah, but if you if you Wikipedia Boupart it's it says like whatever notable people from there, And I think I'm like number two and somebody else, like a mathematician from the fifteen hundreds, whoa.
Speaker 4: That was a span of time that they just were not producing.
Speaker 1: So damn it, Beaupart at a dry spell'iusler. Have you ever performed in Italy?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 1: Is that the dream for operas or no? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think like a lot of American opera singers, the dream is to sing at the met But for me, my dream was to sing in like all of the major cathedrals of Europe. That's what I wanted, as you know, at one point. But now I just really love working on new music. Like that's the thing that I'm the most interested in is working with new composers that are creating things that are gonna be relevant for a modern audience.
Speaker 1: How does the breakdown of the money work for an opera? Who's pulling in the real money? Is it? Is it always just the opera singer?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: You know? Where's the orchestra at? I mean, how much is this?
Speaker 4: It's so expensive?
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm wondering because like I perform at a show, I show up, there's a microphone. Yeah, I gotta throw Eddie some scratch. But other than that, yeah, it's pretty much. That's it. You guys have such a.
Speaker 3: Production it is crazy. So it's so expensive. And that's why, especially in America, like you only get a few performances even at like the big houses. I sing with La Opera often and we do six performances of a production. And like you train for like years on a roll and you're like, okay, done.
Speaker 1: What are tickets? What are tickets called? A good seat in that house? That's you know, face value? What's that ticket cost?
Speaker 3: Somewhere like around two fifty or something like that? Has something around there for like, what's a really good one?
Speaker 1: What's that? What's that opera seat?
Speaker 4: I think it's around two thousand some odd.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it's like the because opera isn't, like, you know, the most highly attended thing, you need to get as many people into those.
Speaker 4: Seats as possible in this country.
Speaker 3: In this country, yeah, if you go to other countries, like in Germany, they have pretty much every major city has an opera house and they have full time people at each of those houses. But in America, like you get contracted per performance, per production, I should say, and then and eat all of the musicians too, like you know, the instrumentalists, the all of the singers, and then sometimes like there's full time crew.
Speaker 4: But that's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: What's the diference between an opera and a musical? Like true operas always use a live orchestra.
Speaker 3: In my book, they always do. I feel like opera technically is a story that is fully sung, is how I've heard a lot of people define it. But I also think that it has something to do with like the vocal mechanism and the production of it, where you really have a certain way that you are projecting your voice and utilizing your voice that can be carried over an audience.
Speaker 1: By the way, why are operas so goddamn depressing? They're not like like the.
Speaker 4: I mean, everybody dies, but other than that, right, that's.
Speaker 1: What I mean, Like the death, the weep, being, the sorrow, the angst, all of it. That just has to be the story that's told. There's no there's no is there comedy opera? Yes, Okay, I gotta go see comedy.
Speaker 3: You to, So there's this one company. They do English translations of operas, but they have like it's basically a Mario Brothers meets Zelda production of the Magic Flute and it maps perfectly. It's hysterical. That one is great. And then they do like a Star Trek themed Abduction from the Seralio and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you have to be so in the know to appreciate it or can if.
Speaker 4: You've ever played any Nintendo games.
Speaker 1: I thought I meant in the know with opera god.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, Like it's one of the most successible things that I've ever seen. Both of those productions are just so much fun.
Speaker 1: Can you yodel?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I've tried.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I've tried to learn, and I need to focus on it because it is.
Speaker 1: No one needs to learn to you.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's like it's good for you, like to experiment with your voice like that, that's like vocal health. It's good for you. And also like I'm scat, you know, yeah, I can do it a little bit, but I can't do it now.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna ask scat.
Speaker 3: Very well done.
Speaker 1: Hmm. That's just what's her name from? From Sex and the City Kim Cotrell. There's an old viral video of her scatting okay with her husband, who plays the upright bass. It's just very humiliating. It's the worst video, but it's enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Sounds correct.
Speaker 1: You had to sign a nine page NDA to perform for Beyonce? Was that because Diddy was there?
Speaker 3: Oh god, I know. I didn't even get to I didn't meet her. I just did like a pre record for the Grammy performance that she did in twenty seventeen as the Opera singer. But yeah, it was intense, like that was I was like, oh my god. And you know, I was like I wanted to tell people to watch and see, but.
Speaker 1: You were scared they were going to come for.
Speaker 3: You because seriously, Oh no, I take it seriously, Like I understand why somebody at that level has to have privacy and stuff. So but and I was like, no, I can never tell anybody. And they're like, it's aired, It's okay.
Speaker 1: What modern pop singers do you go? Oh? Their voice is pretty.
Speaker 3: Pretty legit ariana grande. Oh my god, her performance on SNL that was insane.
Speaker 1: No, she's good, but there she is. She is a I believe she is a robot, Like I don't believe she's actually a person. It's just so at all times a version that I'm like, man, don't believe you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know who else's voice I love is Dave Grol. I love his voice and I know that that's like.
Speaker 1: Why would you bring him up after what he did but put his wife through? Right now?
Speaker 4: Really, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I am like not a good fan. I like don't know anything about it now.
Speaker 1: I only know this because I don't know. Maybe my phone thinks I want to know about Dave girl sex life, but he just fathered a child outside of his long marriage.
Speaker 3: Like his voice, I love it because he just expresses himself really like fully, like that announce what I would love to like. His level of commitment when he plays or sings is what I would love to be able to do with myself.
Speaker 1: When I see or watch him sing, I'm like, I could do that for maybe thirty minutes once, Yeah, before my throat was gone forever.
Speaker 3: No, it's like it because it comes from him, Like it's just.
Speaker 1: Like you're saying, you're you're justified why he cheated on his way.
Speaker 3: Yes, because it's just like, oh.
Speaker 1: It's too much.
Speaker 3: It was too much music inside of him.
Speaker 1: Are you crazy protective of your voice?
Speaker 3: Not as protective as I probably should be, but yeah, like you have to be really mindful if you're in performance. But again, like that's why you just do it regularly so that way you keep yourself as healthy as possible. But if I'm doing a big show, obviously, yeah, you get sick often. Not really anymore. I gave myself bronchitis the other week inhaling lime dust accidentally, so lime dust. Yeah, I was like moving like the contractors had left a bag of lime dust, and I was like, what's this? And my friend who's helping me get organized, was like put a mask on, and I was like, you're right, And then I threw it into the garbage and it's not snort.
Speaker 1: It was like, what's this And your friend's like, you know what to do? You just bought a house. Congratulations, thank you. It's so terrifying but also such a great feeling too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: Are you on the market? Is there a mister bond?
Speaker 3: Oh No, I am on the market. Yes, if you have recommendations. I refuse to do the dating apps right now. I just cannot. So, yeah, I'm just gonna this is my dating app.
Speaker 1: I guess my experience. I went off the market before dating apps. But I have my wife's cousin who always shall have the dating apps on. And then I'll talk to her like a day later and they're all deleted. They're all and just just furious, and then she has to like reinstate all of them six months down the road. But she's like, all of they're gone. They're not on my phone because I would take them and I would do the swiping for her. Oh that's good because she's not capable of picking the right person.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ye, all right, so you're not You're on the market, but you're not on the apps.
Speaker 4: Correct, Okay, I'm just being a little lazy right now.
Speaker 3: That's fine. You know, listen, you got house projects, I got I got a lot to do.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but like, what's.
Speaker 1: The biggest house project you're working on right now?
Speaker 3: Getting the electrical to not spark? So yeah, just a whole house. Yeah, like they said everything was did.
Speaker 5: You get.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, a shitty one.
Speaker 3: A shitty one, yeah, and then like it's a whole thing, like they the disclosures were not accurate and la la la la la. So anyway, I have an electrician coming tomorrow and I get to spend tons of money.
Speaker 1: But I was like, yeah, but you'll get all that money back.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you will, it'll it'll, it'll all work out.
Speaker 1: I'm a big I'm a big fan of home buying. I think it's fun, you know what.
Speaker 3: I love it, and like, I never thought that I would be able to afford my neighborhood.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I did it.
Speaker 1: Have you informed the neighbors of your little little uh little freshion law?
Speaker 3: No, But okay, here's this is a huge benefit to me. I'm sure it would be super annoying to other people. Every Friday night there's a mariachi band that rehearses in the backyard of my next door neighbor's house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be annoying to everyone.
Speaker 3: No, it is like a free concert. It's only for like a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: If you wanted to go to a mariachi concert every.
Speaker 3: Week, every night, every Friday night. I love it. I think it's the greatest. And like they're not like a great band or like anything like that, but they're like they've got it, and I.
Speaker 1: Think you actually have an out on your home if you wanted to get out of the perch. I think that should have been disclosed.
Speaker 3: Oh this is.
Speaker 1: It's way worse than somebody dying in your bathroom. No, you need to know if there's a mariachi band performing, that's not even a good mariachi band every week. Well okay, now I know that you just bought a home, but prior to that, when you were living in an apartment, I mean your neighbors, were they annoyed where they like think it's oh, it's beautiful, so.
Speaker 3: It's okay, Well so they it's interesting. Like I always would give like a card and be like, hey, I'm your next door neighbor now, and here's my card. If you ever just want to call me and tell me to shut up, because you can't.
Speaker 1: That's danger though. Yeah, but like trust these people.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like you know, you've got to be kind.
Speaker 1: To okay, And so did they ever complain?
Speaker 3: No, they would request certain songs a lot, so I'm like, I don't that would be mean. Yeah. So, and it was sweet like I lived upstairs in this in this apartment building with like the greatest landlords the greatest neighbors. They were so sweet. And this woman was in the downstairs apartment and she would always request Abby Maria and she would always want certain songs. But she was passing away, and so her daughters were like, will you come and sing to mom? And it was like absolutely, And so I sang to her the night that she passed, and I sang at her wake. It was really beautiful and meaningful. And then I asked my landlords. I'm like, can I get her apartment because it's bigger, and so I was like new York about it. I just like slid in there.
Speaker 1: It's weird that you were a part of her death and then immediately took her apartment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting. By the way I got you, I always get people a gift. I just take some of them from my house and I give them something this much show you I could. I was like, oh, the only thing I could find. I don't drink tea and I have this in my house. So I was like, oh, I give her this for her voice.
Speaker 3: It cute.
Speaker 1: It's kind of cute. So you can keep that. Oo Okay, you go.
Speaker 3: It's like the very do you just like getting rid of things in your house? Does your wife agree with this method of.
Speaker 1: No, I mean she didn't. I don't. I don't ask her. I'm gonna need you to put that on the floor. I'm sorry, but you'll like it. You'll I think you'll love that.
Speaker 3: I'm delighted.
Speaker 1: Do you drink tea?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Is that any good?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't tried this yet.
Speaker 1: Well do you know it does? Do you know the brand at all? Or now? I don't know? All right? Can someone really shatter a glass when hitting a high sea or is that bullshit? It's I mean like you.
Speaker 3: Could like hold a glass and be leg crack it. But yeah, no, it's like the frequency of glass is supposedly the same frequency, and then that could shatter it.
Speaker 1: What if it's like the thinnest piece of glass, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean maybe I think it actually can be done. But the human voice, like even if you're not singing like opera opera, it vibrates between frequencies. And that's why we connect with it as much as we do. So like it has that vibrato in it, like where if I go, you hear that little wobble that's vibrato, and so it's like constantly oscillating between the pitch frequencies to get that little vibrato. So I don't think that it wouldn't sustain a sea on a straight tone for long enough to break.
Speaker 1: What about your new house? How about in one of the bathrooms just as kind of a joke, an easter egg for people you have, like the window in the bathroom by the shower shatter.
Speaker 4: That's a great joke.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I should just.
Speaker 3: Like for April Fool's Day just crack all of my windows.
Speaker 1: That seems like we went a little too far. Okay, fine, name the greatest opera singer of all time? Is there is there a clear pick for most people? Do most people agree on this or no? No, it's a personal preference.
Speaker 3: It's a personal preference. Yeah, I mean, like is probably like the to.
Speaker 1: Say it like that. To be a you have to do it like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can be.
Speaker 1: I can.
Speaker 3: It's jersey. I can't even do a jersey right now. Yeah, But he's like one of the most highly valued singers and whatnot.
Speaker 4: But like Maria Kalis for other reasons.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, Like I think it's got to be what what's connecting you? I feel like Joyce Dinato is like the person that for me is the exemplary of the way that I love performing and I love experiencing opera.
Speaker 4: So she's my favorite and a gorgeous voice, stunning.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that the pope in nineteen oh three banned boys from being cast rated.
Speaker 4: So that they remember it like it was yesterday, nineteen o three.
Speaker 1: What did you know this bit of history.
Speaker 3: Well, I knew that they stopped castration, but I didn't know it was the Pope that did that.
Speaker 1: Hope was one that made it official that we are going to stop you guys castrating these boys. So that they continue to say, do children still sing in the opera? Yeah, m hmm, that's common. I didn't even that's not.
Speaker 3: Like common common, but they think there will be like a children's chorus for something, and a lot of those castrati parts like so there used to be like people that were castrated.
Speaker 5: And they're called the castrati boys, the castrati boys, Castrati boy sing that high note boys.
Speaker 3: They were like totally, I don't know they it's very especially desirable, but anyway, of course, I mean, so a lot of those those voices that would sing in the early operas are the one the roles that I would do because they're like kind of the higher placement of the male voice.
Speaker 1: You've taken taken the child for you, so you're you're doing God's work.
Speaker 3: I really am.
Speaker 1: When can we watch you live perform next?
Speaker 3: I'm going to be in Aina Deamar at la Opera. It's in Spanish, so that's fine. It's fun.
Speaker 1: And get probably, you know, do my little translate thing on my phone for people.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you get a translation right above the above the stage.
Speaker 1: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's gorgeous. It's one of my favorite operas and so I'm very pumped about it.
Speaker 1: When is that April? April?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: All right, Danielle, thank you for being on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, okay, Casa.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dan yea, thank you, Dan yell, thank you Dan yeah Phi being on our show. Thank you Carl for sitting across from me.
Speaker 1: Right, No, that's fun, right Carl, we gotta go to the opera. You know what to sing? Oh you sing for me? Oh you know that? Sing sing for me? Come on sing sing? Can you sing? Come on? Sing for me? Sing? No? Go all right, let's do some plugs. Then we got tossshowsstore dot com. You get yourself some merch, come see us do stand up comedy. Got Eddie's tour, You got me on tour. Guys, make sure you come see me this weekend in New York City, Big shows. You ready to do the free plug? Let's hit the music. Sorry about that free plug. Okay, this free plug is is for Rivian. Rivian originally founded in Florida, I believe, and their headquarters is in Orange County here in California.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: Now, you might think, oh, you're just doing this free plug so you can get a free Rivian. No, I own two Rivians. I have an R one T and an R one S. I have the suv and the pickup truck. Okay, and you're probably well, the only reason you're doing a free plug to Rivian is because you want a vehicle pun intended to shit on Elon Musk. Ah, you caught me, all right, let's do it. Let's shit on Elon for a second. Because I love hearing people say, oh, these liberals, the ones that loved Elon Musk are now the ones that hate them. It just shows how how stupid they are you miss you miss with me on that one? Okay. You know people talk about liking a band before they were famous, and that's never me. I'm always the guy that like, oh, I buy their next album and it's garbage. I'm never on the cutting edge of music. But Elon Musk Tesla, I always hated it. Never owned a Tesla, always hated Elon Musk. I was like, this guy fucking rubs me the wrong way. Just a gut feeling from the day he became a person that we had to know about. I was like, I fucking hate him. Ah. And I was never into it. And then the Ribban guys came along and I'm like, well, I want a pickup truck anyway, Boom, give them a thousand bucks deposit. I'll get this cool pickup truck back in twenty fourteen or something. Lord knows. That took six years longer than it was supposed to, but whatever. Then I got my truck, and I'm like, I love it. My truck so good.
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Rivian's on a mission to keep the world adventurous. It's an American electric vehicle founded in two thousand and nine. They found a more responsible way to explore the world and are determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Well, yeah, I will give you a few complaints. One, they definitely advertised tank turns and then disabled the ability for the truck to do it. So I would like them to release the software so that I can do tank turns in my truck and know that I will do it in a responsible area. I'm not going to be destroying the environment, But don't sell me on tank turns. And then I get my truck and you're like, oh no, it turns out we can't do them. So I'm giving you this free plug. But I'm a little angry now that I think about it. Anyway, they got a new one, the new R two smaller suv five seater, coming out next year. Reservations can happen now if you want to be in the top of the queue. Join me and my fellow Rivian owners in living out their slogan keep the World Adventurous Forever. Oh, now that I did this free plug, is it considered a free plug? If after I do it, they do send me something for free, We'll just redact it. We'll redact it. Okay, that's good to know because I'm not above them sending me something free or all of us or all of us. You send me a free truck or suv, or you send me that new small suv Rivian and I'll give it to somebody that deserves it. Okay, make that a thing. But currently this is a free plug. I'm receiving nothing other than getting to shit on Tesla. And you know, talk about my Rivians, people trying to what's dumbers that people trying to put the stickers on their Tesla's to be like, hey, protest, I'm sorry, I didn't know. Well, enjoy your shitty resale value. Don't key my car. And I'm not encouraging people to vandalize Tesla's. That's nonsense. I could never key a Tesla because my Rivian doesn't have a key. I just used my phone, so I can't I rub my phone on the side of a Tesla. That seems That seems Dumbah Here's how I protest. There's this Tesla showroom that's right next to the Whole Foods grocery store that I frequent So what I do out front of this showroom They always have their Tesla's parked right out in front, but they're not reserved for the tesla, so anytime one is opened up, I back in real cool with my Rivian and and you know, I make it look nice, and I I just park right in front, and they always give me it's it's it's inconvenient for the how far I have to walk to the grocery store from there. My wife gets annoyed, but it's my my little protest, and I put my Rivian right in front. And then the people in the showroom always shoot me a look. And I'm sure they open their doors into my truck and try to give me a little little door ding. But guess what, I got a truck. Okay ding, It doesn't bother me. Okay, I'm a man. I got a truck. Broom, broom. Well, anyway, there's my free plug. See you next week.