Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks. It is Monday, September twenty second. Then the news keeps coming. Yes, Jimmy Kimmel is coming back tomorrow night. Welcome to this episode of Amy and DJ Robes. A little quick, I thought, I thought this was a quick change of heart by Disney. But it's official. He's going to come back on Tuesday night, Tabarna.
Speaker 2: It was quick, but there was a lot of pressure because there were from the very next day after they made their decision, protests going on at Burbank and a lot of employees, and you had some big name celebrities step up and say that they actually, I believe, signed I don't know if it was a petition, but certainly signed yes, a letter saying that they were demanding that kim will be reinstated, that free speech was at stake, and so they had a lot of pressure coming at them from the other side as well. So Bob Iger and folks made their decision.
Speaker 1: The pressure so much of the pressure. It didn't feel necessarily financially. It felt like a moral pressure. It felt like a a significant like this is time to take a free speech stand. It was more of a pressure, not necessarily from a financial standpoint, But from what is the right thing to do here?
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say I felt like it was one hundred percent a do the right thing pressure from the people who are still important to the company. So I yeah, I don't think it was a financial decision at all. I don't know what that financial decision would be because there are going to be people who boycott the show regardless, and perhaps even boycott ABC or Disney. I mean, the problem is, you're not just ABC. When you're Disney, You're you need everybody. You need the whole country to come and see your movies, you need the whole country to come to your theme parks, you need the entire country. Company is sorry country to go and ride on your cruise ships. So it's important that they don't alienate half the country, the people who voted for Trump by putting Kimmel back on the air. That is a big deal. So that is there is a lot of money at stake.
Speaker 1: So all good. Disney announced, right, they pulled him last Wednesday after remarks he made last Monday. And here we are the following Monday, knowing he's going to go back on Tuesday, but we don't know what he's going.
Speaker 2: To say what he's agreed to, what Disney insisted he agreed to.
Speaker 1: We don't know was the negotiation, like there had to be something he had to compromise a little bit. But there are a lot of people who will argue, who know him an insiders say, yeah, we don't see that happening. So I'm not sure what the agreement is. But Disney did put out a statement letting us all know, I guess kind of how things went down, giving us some insight into what they were thinking and an into bringing him back. Now.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they said, last Wednesday, we made the decision to suspend production on the show to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country. It is a decision we made because we felt some of the comments were ill timed and thus insensitive. We have spent the last days having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy, and after those conversations, we reached the decision to return the show on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Right now, there is going to be and there has been already some pushback. There's already been some criticism of this decision from as you can imagine, turning point USA, Charlie Kirk's foundation, his group has already spoken out about this, and I think there are a lot of people on that side who will see this as he barely got a slap on the wrist, right, He's only missed a couple of days of taping and he's right back on the air, and the show when he comes back on the air after all this, it's going to be the highest rated show in the history of his show, quite possibly, because everybody's going to tune and see what he has to say.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so here is what turning Point USA said. They said, Disney and ABC caving and allowing Kimmel back on the air is not surprising, but it's their mistake to make. Then they said, Next Star and Sinclair do not have to make the same choice, and.
Speaker 1: Ding ding ding. So let's go with Sinclair first as we speak this evening, as of this recording, Sinclair, which is the largest owner of ABC stations in the country. They are the ones who own the stations that put on this show, and they are the ones who made the decision even before Disney, Next Star and Sinclair, these two companies that own ABC affiliates, they made the decision to pull the show off the air. They were not going to put it on our stations because of what he said Sinclair. Even though Disney said they're him back, Sinclair says they will not put his show on at least tomorrow night, and he's going to be preempty.
Speaker 2: Yes, so Sinclair owns thirty eight ABC stations. That is a lot of cities, So I think thirty eight cities. Even though ABC and Disney are airing the show, they will not be able to see it through their local affiliate. Here's what Sinclair said. Beginning Tuesday night, Sinclair will be pre emptying Jimmy Kimmel Live across our ABC affiliate stations and replacing it with news programming. Discussions with ABC are ongoing as we evaluate the show's potential return. They want more and they may demand more.
Speaker 1: They made demands initially. We don't know if this is still a part of the deal because afterwards they said they wanted an apology one and a donation, a significant donation to Charlie Kirk's family or his organization. I couldn't see, couldn't imagine that happening, But we don't know if those demands still hold Next Star. As of this recording, we have not heard from, so we do not know what they are going to do if they follow suit with Sinclair. That's a lot of cities and not going to see Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 2: Demoin, Yeah, I believe they have dozens, so at least two dozens. So now you're talking about if they stick together, potentially as many as close to sixty, yes, sixty stations. Cities won't be able to see Jimmy Kimmel aive. That's pretty remarkable. I don't know. With today's technology and Hulu, I'm sure you can find a way, but that is still going to cost. You say there'll be record numbers. Yeah, sure, for people who can watch, they might have record ratings, or they might not because they because of the preemptions they get back.
Speaker 1: Right now, if he's not going to be available in enough cities to have record.
Speaker 2: Rating, that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, so I take that back. Yes, you're right, sick Claire. And next they joined together in this, when when does he come back to those stations? What does he ever have to do? Look, I am it's amazing that and I think it's kind of cool to some degree that late night television that we're all engaged in a conversation about free speech the First Amendment because late night television and the White House are going at it, I think there's something. I know it's silly to some degree, but I think it's fascinating that we never had When do we get a chance to have free speech conversations. It's there, none of the fringes in here and there, you can find it. But everybody is talking about this, and everybody seems to be on the same page that this matters, and that you can't silence somebody.
Speaker 2: It does matter. And I do think that I have always said, you know, if you have ever been to any of the awards ceremonies for the Society of the Protection of Journalists and you sit in one of these they have these bank and you hear the stories of journalists in other countries who say or have a negative report about a president, or they say something that's unflattering about their leader and they're killed. And you hear story after story after story when you're in these banquets, and I remember, you know, years ago, thinking my god, how incredible that I could say something awful about the president and I could sleep soundly at night knowing that my job is safe, that my family is safe, that my head is safe. You know, that really is something that I thought about often. So look, you start to see things start to head in that direction, and it gets really, really frightening. We have this story today about restrictions on reporters at the Pentagon. They can't report anything negative Jimmy Kimmel late night talk show hosts can't take shots at the president. When I used to watch that, when I used to stay up late, I remember thinking, Wow, what a country we live in that people can stand on TV and make fun of our leaders and have zero concerns about their physical safety or about losing anything like That's what makes us America. That's what makes us free.
Speaker 1: We've been in places where they warn you ahead of time, be careful what you say, be careful what you text. Would your tweet be right?
Speaker 2: China, Russia?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's amazing just the freedom we have here that now we need to be concerned before we open our mouths. It's a weird place for us to be in. Like repercussions, you lose your job, there's a whole sta like a whole staff of people and their families just out of a job because the president literally can't take a joke. Now, if you're a Trump supporter, you don't see it as such, right, it's not. You see it as a guy who doesn't have your same views having airwaves to spew his side. And you're again, I can see why that's bothered.
Speaker 2: But you can turn it off, you can change the channel, you can watch something else, and if enough people do that, Jimmy Kimmel or anyone else would absolutely be out of a job. I mean, you're seeing what's happening with Colbert. We don't know if it is just about the ratings or if there is something else going on with that, but that's how you But that's the point. You know, you don't have to like what people say. You don't have to think it's funny. You can actually be upset by it. But your power is with your remote.
Speaker 1: See But that's the President's make an argument, and not that I don't want to watch it, or if somebody else doesn't want to watch it, Like, you shouldn't have the right to be able to go out there and do it. You shouldn't have the right to spew propaganda against me is how he's seeing it. So it's not even a matter of yet just turn off the TV. Yes, there's plenty things. I got no problem with anything on TV because I ain't watching it. Fine, everybody can take the attitude, But what is it? What do we do if you turn it into now a matter of if you're not vote with you remote, I am telling you that you shouldn't have you shouldn't have the He even suggested that it's unlawful to insult him.
Speaker 2: Obviously it's not. Obviously that's what makes it an US America. I mean, he insults people every day, I mean, and is proud of it. So I just I find that a little ironic.
Speaker 1: All right, So with this all goes back to last week? Do you remember, and we have to go back, and I had to include it in here what Jimmy Kimmel actually said They got all this going now he said it, and then what was it? Two days later? The FCC head said something and that's what got it all going. So let's remind you, first of all, this is what Jimmy Kimmel said that got everybody going.
Speaker 2: We hit some new lows over the weekend with the Maga Gang, desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them, and doing everything they can score political points from it.
Speaker 1: So that was it, said it on Monday. Tuesday, things seemed to be going fine, right, and.
Speaker 2: He actually doubled down and had some more.
Speaker 1: Jokes on Tuesday. Right, everything's going fine, FCC chairman. However, Brendan Carr went on a podcast on Wednesday and suggested that Kimmel in his comments and that maybe he should be looked into. And sure enough, next thing we know, Kimmel is suspended indefinitely. Is what they told us initially. Yes, I am to be honest with you, A I am is really really surprised that this is happening so quickly.
Speaker 2: I am surprised that ABC and Disney made the decision they have. I'm not surprised that Saint Clair has it. I mean they did say I think it was next Star and See Claire said that he was going to be off of their stations for the foreseeable future. That's a little bit more. I think that's a little stronger language. For seeable future means more than a few days. That seems like they had plans to have a little bit longer of a pun.
Speaker 1: Damn, what is your hope? I say that to the audience here, Robot, I say that to you, and I asked that question to myself as well. So let's take a beat when we come back. What is it that we hope that? Jimmy Kimmel says in his monologue tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Night, Welcome back everyone on this Monday night. We are talking Jimmy Kimmel because ABC Disney did an about face and they are putting the show back on Tomorrow night, Tuesday evening. He was suspended last Wednesdays, so less than a week he's been off the air. But he's not going to be back on the air for everyone because the largest ABC owned affiliate group, Sinclair, has said they will not they will pre empt Jimmy Kimmel's show tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. And they have thirty eight stations next Star we haven't heard yet from, but they're also in the double digits, and they haven't decided whether or not, or at least they haven't let any of us know whether or not they will be preempting Jimmy Kimmel or not. But he is going who to make that monologue and this will be the I would say this would be the most important monologue of his career.
Speaker 1: I would say it's important for the country, and it's it's I guess we're in this position, but a late night comedian actually has an important role to play in bringing the country together and helping us move forward and how we talk to each other. I don't know what way he's going to go, And some people would say he needs to double down, and he needs to be tough, and he needs to be a warrior of some kind and that's what the country needs. Some could argue that, well, this could say, you need to bring the temperature down. I don't know which way do you.
Speaker 2: Lean, uh, temperature down? I don't think we fight fire with fire. And I think he obviously touched a nerve and I think if you go back and look at at what he said, it doesn't sound terrible. Obviously he said much worse about Donald Trump, but in the days, in the few days following Charlie Kirk's assassination, I think I think it's okay for him to apologize for how soon he went there and the tone he took. The flippant kind of maybe some would even say righteous, arrogant kind of attitude he had about it when people were deeply mourning this man. So I think it's I think it's absolutely fair for him to apologize for the timing and the tone.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if I expect an apology, and who is he apologizing to.
Speaker 2: Anyone who he offended?
Speaker 1: Anyone who weened.
Speaker 2: And that wasn't his intention his but but the part of being a comedian, and I think we all know this, it is to be provocative. It is to go there, it is to But in all of this political correctness, it's funny with the anti woke campaign from the right and the Trump administration, this is feeling very woke of them because now he has to apologize for offending so he doesn't get canceled, which is the whole woke thing. So it's just kind of turned around now on Kimmel, and it's I find the irony in it.
Speaker 1: Actually, Generally, as a rule, I don't I don't like when comedians apologize. They're just a special group to whatever reason that they are. Just they just it's what they do. They're supposed to push buttons and you have to understand that this is what they're doing and being prepocative. Sometimes it's insensitive. I get that, Jimmy Kimmel, what he said, I was uncomfortable with some of it. The stuff that they actually got him on is not the part that I actually thought was most offensive. I thought he made a joke after that about how Trump.
Speaker 2: Was mourning him like a four year old mourns a gold goldfish.
Speaker 1: I thought that I thought was tough for me, was more uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same than what he said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's not getting any attention.
Speaker 2: So what do you hope he does tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Man? I hope I Jimmy's I really do believe in the limited time I've spent with him, he's a good dude. He is just he's just generally a good dude, and he's a family guy, and I know he feels I really do genuinely feel that he appreciates and how blessed he is to be where he is and to have the family that he had. I think he really does see how blessed he is, and I I just I hope he sees the moment as an opportunity to be wild, as it seems the leader kind of that we all need right now, Just somebody please guide us with a microphone, guide us in a better way than the guy in Sacramento, California with a guy in Washington, DC. Right, don't I don't want on. The fighting and the barking and the constant is exhausting, and just somebody in the middle of the fight to say, you know what, I'm not waving a white flag. I'm just inviting you to the table. I'm just saying I'm not going to contribute to this anymore. And others are saying, you have to stand up to this tyrants. You gotta fight fire with fire and all this stuff. It's just exhausting. We're kicking the shit out of each other and get nowhere. That is why I hope he does something that brings.
Speaker 2: That he unites instead of further divid I got it without apologizing.
Speaker 1: To find a way apology. I don't mind it, but I don't need it.
Speaker 2: But you weren't the one who he offended, so that might be the difference. That's why you don't need it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know what ABC and Disney would have insisted upon. That's what I'm not sure about. So even if Kimmel wouldn't have wanted to and really really really doesn't want to say or do something he may have to. I'm not sure. I don't know. He is a powerful dude. We said he was certainly one of, if not the most powerful person in front of the camera at ABC. But at a certain point, business is business, and so he's they had to come to some sort of agreement. I don't know what it is, but I will be very interested in finding out. I'm also curious about this. They tape at five pm New York time, Eastern East Eastern time.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, I'm sorry, no specific time.
Speaker 2: So I wonder, you know, how things get leaked. I wonder if we'll start to hear that he apologized or he didn't, or close think about that. Is he going to do it live or is he going to pretape it as usual? Because I feel like it'll get out. Everyone's going to be clamoring to find out what he's going to say, what his tone is going to be, who his guests are going to be, like, what is and what does that show look like? Coming back after what just happens.
Speaker 1: And he has an opportunity as well to be hilarious. He could do just the most brilliant bits and just make us all laugh. This thing away. Who knows, but it's an important moment and it's I just think it's remarkable that one of the most important voices right now in politics is a late night comedian. I love that. It's just something about that. It's just fascinating, and I love the story.
Speaker 2: Well, we will be watching. We know you will too. But thank you for listening this evening, I maybe Robach alongside TJ. Holmes. Have a great night, everybody,