Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast George Nori with Neil Donald Waltsh will take calls with Neil next hour. His latest book is called God Talk, which we'll get into in a second. So, Neil, you start writing to God without really any idea that it's going to be turned into a book, right, never.
Speaker 3: Thought about anything like that, George. I'm just sitting there in my little little flat, little two room flat, writing a very angry letter, just trying to get out my feelings. So I'm writing, understablet what does it take to make life work? Now? What have I done to deserve a life of such continuing struggle? And finally, George, I'm writing, tell me the rules. I mean, just give me the rules. I'll play this silly game called life. Just tell me the rules. I don't know what's going on here? What do I have to do to make life work? And then, George, I heard a voice over my right shoulder. I would have sworn someone was in the room behind me. Neil, do you really want answers to all of these questions? Or are you just venting? And I whipped around. Of course there's nobody there. Now I'm thinking, oh, great, terrific. Not only have I lost everything, now I'm losing my mind. But the voice continued, you know, Neil, you know would give me an answer. What are you looking for here? And I said, you know, if you've got some answers, I am sure as hell. I like to know what they are. I don't know who I'm talking to. I'm sitting here thinking I'm talking to myself. But then the voice again came back as a voice in my mind. It's all in my head going on. And the voice said, you are sure as hell about a lot of things, Neil, But wouldn't you rather be sure as heaven? What's that supposed to mean? Now I'm writing on the yellow legal pad, and the voice says, to me, let me answer your questions. And I'm starting to get answers to all the questions I had asked, and to questions that I didn't even know existed.
Speaker 2: And they were good answers too, weren't they.
Speaker 3: Well, they were good enough for me. I can't speak for anybody else, but they were good enough up for me. And then somewhere along the way, I was told you will make of this a book one day, and you will cause it to be accessed by many people. And I'm sitting there thinking, yeah, yeah, right of course, Now I got you. This is what I'm thinking to myself. Now I got because you gotta know, I it's the middle of the night, and I'm thinking, I'm making this all this up. You know, I'm imagining it. It's just my imagination playing tricks on me. So I thought, if you think whatever this voice is, it's talking to me that this is going to become a book, think again. There's not a publisher in the country that's going to write, that's going to publish a book by guy who says he's talking to God. I mean, can you imagine the publisher going out to the workroom floor saying to his editors, hold everything, stop the presence. I got a guy here who's talking to God. It's not going to and he's.
Speaker 2: Got it on a yellow legal paper.
Speaker 3: It's not going to happen. Nobody's But you know what, as a dare, I simply was daring God. I took my handwritten notes that I had gathered up to that point, and I sent it off to a small publisher on the East coast of the United States. You know what. A week later they called me and they said, we want to publish this. This is fascinating stuff, that's amazing. Answers you're getting are incredible. I don't know where you're getting them from, but these are incredible answers to questions that all of us are asking about God, about life, about health, about children, about parenting, about right livelihood, about how to make your life work, about relationships, about sex, about everything. You've asked all the questions we're all asking, and the answers you're getting are incredible. I said, you really are going to publish this? They said absolutely. So I thought to myself, you know, it's not going to sell five hundred copies. Nobody's going to buy a book by a guy who claims to be talking directly to God and getting answers from God. And I was right. It didn't sell five hundred copies. You were right and sold five million.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. Now you're into your fortieth book. God talked, tell me about this one.
Speaker 3: You know, most people write, Most writers, whatever their topic, write a book and then they look for a publisher. And that's how it's been with me for the first thirty nine books. But about a year ago my phone rang and for the first time in my life, a publisher called me and they say, hey, you know, mister Walsh, would you'd be willing to write a book that answers the question can everybody have a conversation with God? And if there's a way that they could do it? Can you think of how you could explain that to people, how they could all have the same experience that you've had. I said, you know, fair question, good question. Yes, I'd be happy to write a book like that if you want to publish it. So I wrote that book, in which I included step by step instructions on how a person, at least how I think a person could possibly have the experience that I had, that they could access the divine and have their own conversation with God. Decided to call the book God Talk. And then the publisher did something very interesting. They put a call out on the internet George, and they asked people all over the internet, if you feel that you also have had a conversation with God, or at least that your life has been touched directly by the divine, what we call divine intervention, send us your story, and they told me later that hundreds of people said stories like that. They picked out the seven or eight best stories and put them in the book as part two of the book. So part one of the books is my story and how I got to have the experience that I've described to you in of course described in the book in much greater detail. And the second part of the book is the stories of these seven or eight people who've had their own experience of divine intervention. Makes for fascinating reading because these are real people from mid America, from Nebraska, Oklahoma, all over the place talking about their experience of divine intervention. A mother whose answers came through a vision of her child, a woman who was reassured about her health conditions, all sorts of experiences of people throughout the country, and a couple from elsewhere in the world. So we decided to call the book God Talk, and it contains a six step process that I hope will give people an opportunity to have their own direct connection with the Divine George. Let me just add one thing really quickly. Most people say, of course, we can all talk to God. I mean, by the way, eight out of ten people in the world believe that there is some kind of higher power. Sociologists have taken surveys in the past ten years asking a single question all over the world, do you believe in a higher power? And eighty five percent of the respondent said, yeah, there's some kind of higher powers. There's more going on here that meets the eye. So there's something larger than we know about specifically, we call it God, call it whatever you want, but yes, there's more going on here. We can't agree exactly what it is and what's really going on. So the real question is what is happening, what is that all about? And how can we make a direct connection with it. So with everybody, or at least a large number of people, eighty five percent of the people say there is some kind of higher power. The question comes, can we have a communication with that higher power? I mean a two way communication. Everyone agrees that we can pray to God if we think there is some kind of higher power, and most people had at least once in their life called out, oh God, help me, what's going on? What's going on? So we can pray to God. But here's what's interesting. The world's religions tell us that God will not talk directly to you. In fact, most of the world's religions, of which there are today two hundred and thirty six known religions on the face of the earth this date, not since history began, but on this day of our life, over four thousand religions being practiced, and those religions teach us God doesn't talk directly to you. You can talk to God if you want to. Of course, people we encourage you to pray to God, but don't go around saying that God spoke directly to you, because that's blasphemy, that's heresy, that's apostasy. So you're accused of of a sin, really of an ecclesiastical sin if you declare that God is talking directly to you. And they put people who say that away on the seventh floor of the hospital in the psychiatric ward.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: He thinks that God's talking to him.
Speaker 2: I used to ask. I used to ask my mother when I was younger, what is God? How did God come about? And she's still with us, she's ninety four. God lover, and she said to me, I'll never forget it. God always was and always will be, And I kept telling her, I said, Mom, that's not an answer for me, and she kept saying, the same thing, always was, always will be. And that's her answer to this day, Neil, boy.
Speaker 3: What clarity could and ask for a more clear cut answer? Actually, to try to define what God is is pointless because there's nothing that God is not. The first message George that I got in my very first conversation with God, she said, Neil, all things are one thing. There is only one thing, and all things are part of the one thing there is. And I'm answering. I said, well, that means that I'm part of you. Are you saying that God and me are? God and I are one? And the answer I got was exactly, that's exactly right, God and you are one. Well, do I dare say that publicly? Do I dare? Do I dare tell people that God told me this? But you know, somehow or another I got away with it. I mean, I put it in the book just the way I received it. There's no editing in the book. The book is an unedited transcript. It's just simply a dialogue between me and my understanding of the divine in which I was told basically in a few more words than your mother was told. There's only one thing. I always am, always will be, and always have been, and there's no time that I will not. And that the same, by the way, George, is true about us that God said to me, The same is true about you, Neil. You always were, are now and always will be. That is who you really are. You're not your body. You are a spiritual entity called a soul. And the soul that you are has been with me from the beginning, is with me now and will be with me forever and ever, and yes even forevermore.
Speaker 2: You mentioned these six steps and very quickly buzzed through them for.
Speaker 1: Us, Neil.
Speaker 3: Possibility, worthiness, willingness, wakefulness, acceptance, and discernment. I'd love to describe those in greater detail one day when we have time. But we have to agree that it's possible that a God exists and that we can talk to God. We have to agree that we are worthy to receive such communication. We don't have to be the pope or the Archbishop of Canadon, or the chief ulama or the head rabbi. We have to go to step three, willingness. We have to be willing to receive it. Even though religions tell us it's blasphemy. We have to be wakeful. We have to go to step four. Wakefulness, that is, we have to look all around us because God's talking to us in a million different ways, across a thousand moments in every lifetime. Then we go to step five acceptance, that is, we don't reject what we're hearing. Ah, it's just my imagination, or it's just a coincidence. No, no, no, no such thing as a coincidence. When you get the wisdom from the divine, you will know that that's what it is. And so step five is acceptance, and finally steps step six is discernment, not to call, not to fall into the trap of calling everything a conversation with God. That know, whatever happens in life, we say it's a sign. I reached it into my pocket to get my car keys and a ten dollar bill fell out, So now I have to throw all my money on the ground because it's a sign. So we have to have some discernment. Those are the six steps I talk about, and I describe them in great detail in the book God Talk Fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's an amazing thing. What do you do when an atheist comes up to you and says, I don't.
Speaker 3: Believe I save good for you. You don't have to believe. I don't need you to believe. I don't need you to do anything, least of all believe anything that I have to say. So if not believing serves you, by golly, step in that direction and always do what serves you, Because if there is a God, that's exactly what she wants. He doesn't want anything else. He wants you to serve yourself and to serve those whose lives you touch in a positive, compassionate, generous, caring and sensitive way. Do that, and your life will work, whether you believe in me or not. The beauty of God. I wrote a book called Tomorrow's God, and in Tomorrow's God, God tells us I don't need you to believe in me. In fact, I don't need you to worship me. I don't need you to love me. I don't need anything from you. You. My desire is to give everything to you. But I need nothing from you any more than you need anything from a sixteen month old child. You don't need the child to do something, or to say something, or to worship you. You don't need those things, because you're very clear that you are not in a position of need with regard to that child. So you are my children, God said, you are my children, and I need nothing from you. But my great desire is to give you the power and the understanding, the awareness, and the consciousness to step into your true self, your true identity, which is as an individuation of divinity. You are a part of me. Act that way and life will change for you forever, as will life on your planet once you reach critical mass in the number of people who decide to respond to this impulse in that positive way.
Speaker 2: Neil is prayer of vehicle to get to God.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Prayer's a wonderful vehicle. It's the beginning of a conversation, like any other conversation we have. Conversations start with one person opening up to another and asking a question, or exploring a topic in some way, or even sharing an opinion. So, yes, prayer is a very very powerful device. But we have to be open to the fact that when we pray, we may receive a direct answer. But God's answers are not always simply in words. They come to us in feelings, they come to us in images, in visions, in understandings, you know, frankly, even in smells, I mean fragrances. I'm walking through a department store a few years ago and I'm suddenly smelling Guardina, and I'm thinking immediately of my mother because that was her signature, fragrance. And I'm thinking, my god, I got to call them Mom. I haven't called Mom, and in months, I got to pay more attention to that. I went home and I picked up the phone and called her immediately. Thank goodness I did, George, because shortly thereafter she was no longer with us. Now you tell me that just walking through a department store is smelling Guardinia, my mother's signature fragrance, to do, I mean.
Speaker 2: Come on, it's not luck, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: No. And everyone has stories like that that come from their own life. I have never met a person who can't tell you a story similar to that. So pay attention. We're all having conversations with God all the time. We're simply calling them something else, women's intuition, a psychic hit and epiphany, whatever we can get away with. Because if we dare say God spoke to me directly, yeah, people will look at us askance. But you know I've gone past that. I'm just telling people directly, Yes, you bet. I'm having conversations with God. And the first thing that I ask God in that conversation, my first serious question, why me? Why would you choose me? And the answer I got, Neil, sweetheart, I'm talking to everybody all the time. The question is not to whom talking, The question is who's listening.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more