Speaker 1: Welcome into jag Zam. It's Thursday, August twenty second. We're getting ready for the third and final preseason game of the year. Welcome to jag Zam. This morning. Brian Texton and John Osier are with me as we're getting ready to get ready for that final game. Big thing number one is the final tune up. We mentioned that the starters are expected to go about a half in this game, but Atlanta not playing any starters. So, Brian, what are you gonna be focused on out there? Because they're not going up against the first ring Atlanta team, But what are you gonna focus about for our team?
Speaker 2: Well, my expectations and I'm sure they're the same for Doug and his coaching staff, or that we play well so to speak.
Speaker 3: Right, the offensive line has a degree of cohesion.
Speaker 2: It's the first time we'll see all five of them out there throughout camp. I want to see the defense play fast like they have. I want to see my special teams perform at a regular season level, even though I'm only playing against twos and threes if that, because last week in Baltimore, the Falcons sat a lot more than just their starters. I want to make sure that we're out there doing what we do.
Speaker 4: If I'm Doug Peterson, yeah, I think the big storyline, I don't know if we'll be able to judge it that well, but is in fact that the five stars in the offensive line are all playing together for the first time. So I think they'll probably get a little more of an extended run than they might normally because it's the first time these guys have all played together. I would expect because it's the first time, there to be some hiccups. You'd like those guys to be coming out of this game saying, Okay, we got all that aside.
Speaker 3: We're ready for the regular season as close as you can be.
Speaker 4: And I do sort of wonder if maybe you get Mac Jones a series or two with those guys after Trevor's had a chance at him. I don't know that, but it wouldn't supprize you if they sort of took that tack.
Speaker 2: You know, if I go back to last year's third preseason game, John, they did pull Trevor in the second quarter.
Speaker 3: He didn't go into the third, which.
Speaker 2: Is, you know, kind of how you like to do that last tune up before guys sit for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised at all. In fact, I think I would do it because he showed you last week when he started what he's capable of. You might as well get him some reps because if things go right, he gets no reps with the ones the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: With the end of the preseason coming up, that means we're gonna be looking at final roster cuts. So our second big thing today is gonna be the fifty three. That fifty three man roster cut down is on Tuesday at four pm, John, I think most of it's probably sat in stone at this point. But which group, if any, do you think will be the hardest decisions to make.
Speaker 4: On his It's it's tough because I think there's a decision he made maybe six wide receiver deep.
Speaker 3: Into the offensive and defensive lines.
Speaker 4: But the reality also these days is once you get to that spot, then there's a high percentage chance that these guys you are gonna be on the practice squad and coming in and off the roster.
Speaker 3: So I'm not trying to avoid the question.
Speaker 4: I just don't think as much about that hard fifty three as maybe I did in nineteen ninety nine, when when you shook these guys' hands, you were saying goodbye to him. Now you're saying, hey, we'll see you next week. And you know you're not making as much money as you were, but you're so doing okay.
Speaker 3: Yes, So.
Speaker 4: I do think Brian, that the offensive line has some interesting decisions on who they keep, who they try to develop, who they have to protect.
Speaker 3: I think those are the decisions.
Speaker 4: Who are you going to let go and can we get these guys back.
Speaker 2: I'll give you two names that I think will be difficult. One is Juvon Foster, the fourth round pick from Massou, who has looked good on the training camp field and has played well at times, but probably not ready to help you. However, if you try to move him off the roster and get him to the practice squad, you risk losing him and big guys with potential, and I think I've mentioned my conversation with Tony Biselli about him three or four times, where BISSELLI was really impressed with his feet, and that says something. Big guys with potential, especially on the offensive line, they're hard to get to the practice squad and they're hard to keep on the practice squad. The other is Jordan Jefferson. We didn't see enough from the young defensive tackle from LSU over the course of camp because he wasn't healthy. But last week in the game against the Buccaneers, he flashed. He made a couple of plays. Again, big guys with potential don't last on the practice squad. Well, that means maybe you're trying to keep nine defensive linemen and ten offensive linemen. Those two guys right there, at least to my way of thinking, could complicate the conversations when they get into those meetings early next week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be surprised, kay, if those two aren't on the team. I've heard that, but I'd be surprised for the very reasons Brian said. If you exposed von Foster fourth round pick, with that kind of size and ability, he'll be gone in five minutes.
Speaker 1: Let me complicate things a little further with our final big thing, which is additions. Now, Brian, you talked a little bit about what they're going to do with the young guys, but also when other teams are cutting down their fifty three, that means other people are going to be available. Do you think there's a position group of need that maybe the Jaguars are gonna be looking at to try to grab somebody off the wave of wire, you know it.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, I don't. I think the obvious would be, well, you always want more pass rush.
Speaker 3: But let's be honest.
Speaker 2: When they cut players, they're not cutting players who rush the passer really well. They're not letting those guys go. And you signed a guy Trevis Gibson, who had been with Bill Shoeley in the past, to be your third pass rusher. You're not gonna go gamble on somebody that the Seahawks or Cardinals or Patriots let go just because you didn't quite see enough and you think maybe this guy might be an upgrade. Those guys aren't sitting out there. So I'll be honest with you, I think this roster is in really good shape. You'd like these young guys to develop, and I don't think i'd go bring anybody in unless unless it was just absolutely a shocking name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you might see it at one spot. I can't even tell you what spot it would be because I feel like what Trevor said yesterday.
Speaker 3: Is the deepest team.
Speaker 4: This group mean, Trent Doug Trevor, that bunch has had here, so no position stands out as hey, they need to go get this. And there's a reality these days. I think we talked about in the show that teams are developing their guys, and they spend so much time during the off season developing their guys that they get them in their system. I don't think you'll see the Jaguars go after guys on other teams if they're even close to the guys they've already developed, because they know these guys here, So I don't expect too much movement on that front on Tuesday into Wednesday next week.
Speaker 1: Stay with us here on JAGSA. I'm coming up after the break. We'll hear but from QB one as we get ready to take on the Falcons. Jag Zam brought to you by Field's Auto, Jacksonville's premier luxury auto group. Go to Fieldsauto dot com. Welcome back in with us. We're getting ready for the final preseason game of the year. It's gonna be in Atlanta. We head out today a little over twenty four hours until kickoff. And you heard from QB one yesterday Trevor kind of discussing I know you guys alluded to this already, but he said this is one of the most talented rosters that he's played with.
Speaker 5: This is the most talented team for sure since since I've been here, that we've had, and I think you guys that watch it every day could probably say that as well. So I feel really good. Obviously, that doesn't win you the games, though. You got to go out and play well and execute and put your best foot forward every Sunday and keep your and stay focused on the main goal is to go out there every series, every play and go earn it. But as far as a talent depth standpoint, I think this is the best team we've had, definitely since I've been here.
Speaker 1: John a lot of talent on the team, but doesn't mean anything if they don't go out and win. So how much pressure does this put on the situation? Obviously it's his fourth year here and kind of progressing every year, but now it's kind of expected with expectation.
Speaker 4: I think there was gonna be pressure anyway with from outside with the contract, with the fourth year thing that I think I'm assuming his thought is, well, it's gonna be pressure. I may as well have of you know, the guys to go do it with that I trust and believe in. And I get the feeling. And I haven't had a chance to talk to him about this, but I'm not even sure he would be honest, because you don't insult the past stuff. But I think he looks around and sees Gabe Davis, Brian Thomas Junior coming on, Christian Parker Washington, Evan Ingram, Tank Bigsby, Travis Etn. This feels like a group the twenty two team was really going at the end, and that receiver group meshed and you feel like they had something. But I think he looks around and says, this is the best bunch of skill guys, and not to leave the offensive line out of just saying that bunch. I get the feeling the receivers are gonna mesh, and I think they're excited about what that might be in three or four weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, just to go a little deeper on that. There are also some guys like Deandis Johnson who has a role, you know, who at times has been impactful. And I keep hearing that at some point when Kilan Robinson gets on and he's been struggling with the toe injury.
Speaker 3: He's the same thing.
Speaker 2: And then Brenton Strangers had a pretty good camp and he's a guy there are just those were guys that were always, you know, key backups like number two's and now you're looking down and going well number three sor if the guy's injured, they've got real depth here. But it does all come back to him. As I look at the roster, I think it's really good. I think they've done a nice job putting the pieces together. And it's on the quarterback.
Speaker 1: It is, and it's also going to be on the excuse me, offensive line. Because we've talked about them a bunch. This is the first time we'll see all five of them together. Trevor talked about that.
Speaker 5: Definitely, just everybody, I mean, especially the guys up front and feel in the pocket and get that's you know, because I don't get hit out here and there it's in the game. It's a different sense of urgency as far as my time clock getting the ball out and also just seeing different pressures and stuff, because there's sometimes in practice you'll get you you'll get beat on a pressure like I don't see it, and they bring they make us hot, and in practice it's like I'm hot in the game. It's like I gotta get out. I'm gonna get smoked if I don't get out of here. So all those different things, it just feels different. So I think it's good to have your starting line and to feel the pocket and to move around and kind of test some of your protections as well, Like you do some new stuff and you want to see how it holds up against the live Look.
Speaker 1: Right, this first time we're going to see that starting offensive five together playing with each other. Trevor got banged up at the end of last year. Some of that's his own fault for running around.
Speaker 2: But I'm focused on left tackle. I'm focused on a left tackle because Walker Little last year gave up the pressure in the Cincinnati game on which he hurt his ankle, and at the season finale, Cam Robinson, just be honest, was horrible against arden Key. He just had a terrible day. These are guys who are highly paid, who are great athletes and capable of playing at a very high level. If Trevor is going to be able to stand in the pocket this year, that left tackle is going to have to stand up. And both of these are guys who are in important years for them right because it's the last year of each of their contracts.
Speaker 3: So left tackle.
Speaker 2: I know everyone's focused on center and left, right guard or even left guard, but left tackle, to me is where I'm going to focus my attention tomorrow night and then early in the season because they have two very good left tackles who at times did not play very good last year and they need them to.
Speaker 3: There's a lot to choose from.
Speaker 4: I mean, a part of me thinks, you know, we've talked about the offensive line so much for a year that I just kind of want to shut up and watch them on Friday. But you know, I think it's fair to watch the interior. They signed Mitch Morse, but Brandon Sheriff has been hurt most of the time he's been here. Ezra Cleveland's new, and the interior is at the topic last year. I have faith that I have seen these two right and left tackles play at a high enough level.
Speaker 3: They know that I know they can do it.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen this interior bunch play together and do what they need to do, So that's.
Speaker 3: What I'll be watching.
Speaker 1: How long does it take to get that down? I mean, they talk about it being so important and we haven't seen them all together. So is one game gonna do it? Or is it gonna be in the season. They're figuring it out.
Speaker 3: Probably degrees. I mean I I I I I.
Speaker 4: Even Mitch Morris, when he spoke to the media a couple of weeks back, talked about how difficult it is for an offensive line and the way you prepare it in the NFL these days because you don't have a lot of contact situations, and he even Press Taylor's talked about it on the podium a couple of times.
Speaker 3: You just can't judge what they do until.
Speaker 4: You see them going live, full contact, and that's where you get chemistry. So you hope they're okay to start and then a lot better at the end.
Speaker 2: If they all play close to their potential, it'd be a really good offensive line, but we won't know that. And then you've got Mitch Morse in the middle of it, who's was brought in to be a leader as well as you know, a road grader upfront, and he's got to figure out and he has to be in the live bullets to figure that out.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see it all in action on Friday night against Atlanta. Say with us here on Jagsam, we get ready to tell you who we're looking at as key players in that game on Friday. Said at this Floria's Trusted and Reliable Moving company said it is proud to be the official moving company of the Jacksonville Jaguars. To get a guaranteed quote, visit suttith dot com slash Jacks. All right, guys, and finally have reached the end of the preseason almost we have our final game on Friday in Atlanta against the Falcons. We're gonna travel today, so we're looking ahead. Who are some names we know the starters will be in at least the first quarter, hopefully the whole first half. Who's somebody you're looking at in this game?
Speaker 2: Brand look at a chat Muma because the move to the strong side backer. He was an inside backer in the three to four scheme and in Ryan Nielsen's new scheme, he's a four to three and Pier is well suited for the guy who plays up on the line of scrimmage. And I think he will continue to make his case for it in his third season. It won't be a given though, because your sir of Doulah is also making a transition right. He was more of an edge rusher outside linebacker in the job Allen Mold last year as a rookie, because that's what he did at Louisville. But he was on the line of scrimmage last week, made a nice job to shed the tackle and duck in underneath and make the play on the running back at the line of scrimmage. And he's a guy who's really starting to grasp what they want him to do on the strong side. But I think Chad Mumma might be in a position to really have an impactful year. He is a sure tackler as you just saw right there, and is a guy who has a lot of I say this to people, go I can't make a comparison, but he has a lot of the puzz lesniy traits in terms of his the way that he studies the game, the way that he understands where to be. He gets the most out of his ability because of his work ethic and Paul pus Leslie did that so masterfully, always put himself in a position to make a play. And I see a lot of those traits again, traits not saying he's Gulfos Lesnie. It's not a comparison, it's just looking and being able to see a.
Speaker 4: Couple of traits, thank you, compared to pause.
Speaker 2: But I think he would not be listening to me though.
Speaker 4: He mom is interesting because when you watched him in college, and you can't compare his level in college that he played against the NFL.
Speaker 3: But there were traits.
Speaker 4: As Brian said, this guy ran, he hit, He made big time speed athletic plays that hasn't really shown up in the NFL. And I guess he's playing against faster competition. But I expected more flash the first two years. We've seen that a little more now. So you get the idea that you know, some guys when they come into the league, he say, well, scheme fit, and that's not really what it is. They just can't play with him. You think, well, maybe he fits this scheme. And I'm with Brian. I think he could be an interesting guy this season.
Speaker 3: He told me on on What Is Today?
Speaker 2: He told me on Tuesday that he really thinks that that sam linebacker spot, that strong side outside linebacker spot is what fits him best.
Speaker 4: I went with Gabe Davis and he will on Friday, I think he'll make a play every time there's been a big moment situation in the preseason. Between preseason games and a couple of practices, it seems like Trevor gets him the ball in situations and he makes a play.
Speaker 3: He had a couple of.
Speaker 4: The nicest gain translatable receptions in practice during training camp that I remember, So I think he, you know, he won't get to show everything that he can do. Trevor talked about this week that Trevor thinks he has a lot more in him than he showed in Buffalo, a lot more versatility, and so I don't think he'll get a chance to show all that. But I was thinking about that this week with Gabe, that he might be the most important piece of this offense in the sense that you sort of know what you think Brian Thomas is gonna give you, you know what Christian Kirschman give you.
Speaker 3: Evan Ingram Travis ETN.
Speaker 4: I think people don't quite know to expect from Gay to think he's a deep ball guy because he had the big yards per reception in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: They seem to think that he can be.
Speaker 4: A lot more versatile and a lot more involved in all of it. So he's very interesting to me as the season starts, how he's gonna look and how he's gonna matter to this offense.
Speaker 2: He is as fearless a guy in the middle of the field as I have seen around here in a long time. He reminds me in that respect to make a comparison to Keenan McCardell.
Speaker 3: Who pausing. Keenan, yeah, all coming back here, who never never.
Speaker 2: Shied away from the middle of the field. And I watched him a couple of routes this week go right through the middle. I mean right where guys get el caboond and not down and made great catches and run after the catch. So he's not just looking to get the ball and get down, He's looking to get up the field. He's a complete receiver.
Speaker 4: Well, first, nobody wants to get all Cabald and second, as you know, Brian, the keen of comparison is interesting because when Keenan came in, he had a little bit of a name, and he had been good in Cleveland but hadn't reached great. So Gabe Davis might be the same kind of opportunity where you find your fit at your next franchise.
Speaker 3: Very exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go to the defensive side of the ball for me, I'm gonna do Darnell Savage, he will play in this game. We haven't seen him in action yet because he's been wearing that red non contact jersey, but he got that off this week and so he won't look lost out there because he has been practicing with the team all through training camp, just wasn't tackling people to the ground. He very well might be one of those players that has an eye for the ball. Obviously he saw Darius Williams with a lot of interceptions last year. Darnell Savage kind of along those lines in the sense that he was talking earlier this week calling it a dynamic defense. He feels like there's a lot of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball, and the way that Ryan Nielsen is scheming things up, it allows each player to kind of play played a role in the defense, but also have a little bit of autonomy as well, so leaving the way for something like that to come about. And I'm excited to see this full defense in action, whether it ends up being in this preseason game or Week one, I'm just excited to see exactly how everything pans out.
Speaker 2: I think they're excited to see Savage too, because they signed him. He has the ability. It was described to me by Dave Campbell, the former Dallas Cowboys head coach who now works in the media locally, that there aren't a lot of guys who can play the nickel man or zone. That it's just not as easy. One guy can do one thing well, another guy can do the other thing well. But the word on Savage is zone or man in the middle. He is comfortable and confident, and if that's the case, they have a really interesting chess piece to move around the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 4: He's sort of the guy much like Gabe Davis, who I talked about a second ago. Savage during training camp has and even in the off season a little bit sort of the overlooked edition. Feels like people talk about Tyson, talk about Garon Jones, they talk about Ronald Darby and not really factoring in that they believe that they brought in a piece and Savage who makes them a much better secondary than they were. I've kind of been guilty of overlooking it because he's been in the Red Jersey, so you don't talk about him. But if if he's what they think, they have a lot of conference in Derby, Daryon Jones, Tyson. They think they're really good in a lot of spots Sisca. If he's what they think, then there's a lot of high end guys back there.
Speaker 1: They're exciting. Alright, stay with us. We're gonna preview what's going on the rest of the weekend, what's coming out after the final preseason game. Jags fans want customized Jaguarts furniture for your home. Check out zipchair dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans.
Speaker 6: I ain't got that Gatoray in him. I'm a new man. Now I'm aunt him or now I'm back. They could throw me in the dirt. They could throw us in the dirt. We gonna survive. They could leave us out there on our lonely. We gonna survive good. I'm'a come i'm'a come back King of the Junger. No, rap really like that for real?
Speaker 1: What the person Ken confirmed? Ken, Gatoray just hits different, especially in training camp. You definitely check out the Hunt extras and micd Up. Those are all on Jaguars dot Com Jaguars YouTube page as well, and a new edition of The Hunt is gonna come out week one, I believe. I don't know if we have a set date yet, but it'll be out before the season opener against Miami.
Speaker 3: You just follow up on Savage.
Speaker 2: Really nice part about Savage is they don't have to rush Joey and Jones in the right talented guy. They can bring him along that can find a role for him and he'll learn a lot playing with a guy like Savage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited about this rookie class. And I usually don't say that, but when you take Brian Thomas Junior, Mason Smith, Jaran Jones, Mason Smith, Cam Little, it's uh has a chance to make a really impact.
Speaker 1: Mason Smith and Cam Little the odd couple there, but their best bads.
Speaker 3: I love it. That's really Is that true? Yeah? I didn't know that. Oh yeah, it's very good.
Speaker 1: Check out miked up and you'll see it.
Speaker 2: Mason Smith is so big and Cam Little is just the most so small.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to say, he.
Speaker 2: Looks like a normal human being, right, Sure, he looks like a guy that you're gonna see on a college campus.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well. We love a dynamic too, so check that out. Check out the final preseason game on Friday. We'll have the broadcast for you, of course, and we'll be back here on jag Exam on Monday to go over everything that goes down up. Good weekend,