Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everyone, Welcome to Breaking Points. Very excited about this show. We actually have a little bit of a global flare here, crossing three different continents with the guests that are going to be joining me. So first off, very special guest Saga is going to join it for the A Bloc to talk about the very latest with regard to tariffs. No baby yet, but he is very busy and occupied with preparing for the big day, so he's going to join us off the top. Then we're going to be joined by special guest host Special celebrity guest host fuldzerprizing journalist Glenn Greenwald. I want to get us take off the top of just you know, overall impressions of the Trump administration that I've got a bunch of news I want to dive into with him. This hoofy strike on the Israeli Ben Gurion Airport, the boycott's bill that actually was pulled, a very rare apac l here, So that's an interesting one to get into. There was a big deep dive into John Fetterman's mental and physical health. Almost appears like another democratic cover up of his specific situation. His staffers are speaking out, so a lot to get into there. Claudia Scheinbaum is hitting back at Trump after he offered to what an offer to send our military in to Mexico to fight the cartels. She is saying no thanks to that. At the same time, the Trump administration is wang designating suspected gang and cartel members as enemy combatants, potentially another path for them to attempt to deport people with no due process. So very interested to get Glenn's take on all of those things. Also going to have a journalist join us from Australia Australia has just sort of followed the footsteps of Canada with their election results. The Liberal the center left party coming from behind to really secure a landslide victory. The Prime Minister there, Tony Albanisi, is going to he was re elected his opponent actually again, like Canada, Canada not only lost the overall party election but also lost his own seat. And America and reaction backlash to Trump's policies has a lot to do with that. So really looking forward to getting the view from down under there. Let's go ahead and get to it. Very excited to announce a special edition of Breaking Points. Let's put this up on the screen. Guys, We've got the Baby Points edition. Sager is able to join us for the top of the show here as he navigates his life heading into a very very important day.
Speaker 3: It is lovely to see you, my friends.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the special graphic that honestly I needed that I needed. Thank you to the audience, and I just want to say this before we even get started. Thank you to the whole team, to everybody. It has been just an absolute roller coaster over here in the ingety household as we're dealing with the medical system and everything else, and just knowing that the team has my back and everybody else are producing a great show for everybody. It's just it's incredible. So seriously, thank you, especially the premium subscribers and others who enable this. And I am very glad to be able to hear to talk about tariffs and specifically about baby strollers. It's a very relevant thing in my life right now. And so yeah, I think that's a good hook.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was Trump's quoting was like everything's going down except the things that they carry the babies in.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which by which he means the strollers. Right today is May fifth, actually where one of the largest stroller companies here in the United States, called up a Baby, will actually be enacting all of its new price hikes part of the it's caused mass panic amongst a lot of my friends and others who are having children. So yeah, it's really great. And in addition, I'm sure that we'll play the clip of Trump. You know, we don't know the gender Jillian and I of what we're having, but if it is a girl, I guess I will only be able to buy was it three beautiful baby dolls, and because little girls notoriously do not need more than two or three little dolls. But yeah, okay, let's get to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure the Trump children, you know, they didn't have any access.
Speaker 1: Surely, of course not. They never had to tell more than they need. Have you seen the photo of Milania with literally a gilded baby stroller? So yeah, it must be nice. It must be nice not to have to worry about these things we are currently. I mentioned this last time, Crystal, I'll say to you, Jillian and I are spending our free time researching diaper supply chains just to make sure that we're going to be able to have access. That's just a really great addition to our new family life.
Speaker 2: You had anything else to worry about, Sager, So plenty of time on your hands, no other problems or challenges to worry about. So I'm sure that's how you want to spend your time. All right, let's get to We've got a couple of interesting comments here from Trump from this interview he did with Christen Welker over at NBC. This first one where he seems to indicate sort of downplay the possibility of a recession and what the impact of the recession would be let's go ahead and take a listen to that.
Speaker 5: I want to know what you think about that. Are you comfortable with the country potentially dipping into a recession for a period of time if you are able to achieve your long term goals?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, you say, some people on Wall Street say, well, I like to tell you something else. Some people on Wall Street say that we're going to have the greatest economy in history. Why don't you talk about them? Because some people on Wall Street say this is That's what.
Speaker 1: I'm getting at.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm getting at.
Speaker 6: Though there are many people on Wall streets say this is going to be the greatest windfall ever happened.
Speaker 5: And that's my question this long term. Is it okay in the short term to have a recessions?
Speaker 6: Look, yeah, everything's okay. What we are I said, this is a transition period. I think we're going to do fantastic.
Speaker 1: On the Trump economy.
Speaker 6: It partially is right now, and I really mean this. I think the good parts of the Trump economy and the bad parts of the Biden economy because he's done a terrible job. He did a terrible job on everything.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts soccer, Yeah, the Trump economy or the good parts of the Biden stock market, and actually it will remain in the Biden stock market until it starts to go up again. It's just preposterous now at this point, it is pretty crazy to be almost a month more than a month actually now at this point removed from Liberation Day, and for all of us to actually try and take a step back and realize, like what has now happened. We have a massive like market volatility. In fact, though the US economy is suffering one of the greatest like supply shocks in American history, almost comparable to COVID, except this is a self induced supply shock. And I know we've been warning about the shipping drop and how that wall manifest in terms of shelves and all of that, and that's just going to be ever present here because it's going to take months for us to see some of this. And already we're seeing this like crazy run on iPhones, on strollers, on other importable goods or important goods like things like television's consumer electronics. But what about six months from now. I'm also thinking about the fact that we're in May, so you know, six months from now, whenever we're in the holiday period of whenever people are going to be shopping for gifts, think about Cyber Monday and all these other things. Q four one of the most important quarters in all of retail. Just consider, you know what those recession comments and how they can come back to bite you. It is also fascinating because Trump's simultaneously is a student of like some political history. Now, he recently was talking about and texted new Ganggrich about read my lips, no new taxes. This was the infamous line that's sunk Judge George H. W. Bush. I mean, if you don't even think about your political fortune, you know, somewhat in the future for the Democrats in the midterm elections, it's very obvious that that recession clip and others of him talking about this are going to be massively impactful for Republican chances. I know that there's a takeout there that Trump doesn't care about the midterms, But from a purely self interested level, it's like, dude, do you want to spend over one hundred and fifty million dollars in legal fees because you Pete Hegseth, Mike Wall, all these other guys like every elon, every you know, potential mini scandal or any of this other thing. You are going to spend your ass living before Congress and adjudicating contempt and you know, like subpoenas from the House of Representatives for your entire presidency. This is a tale as old as time from I remember Benghazi and all this other nonsense that we were forced to live through. I mean, this is just classic waves of an administration. But I mean the only alternative is this is what he believes, and there is just no shaking, you know, his foundational belief. Every once in a while you're allowed to rushing into the Oval office and to cause the Trump truth or whatever that will implement a ninety day pause. By the way, where are the deals?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: I know, I've been gone for a while, but everyone said a checking where's the deal?
Speaker 7: I was talented?
Speaker 1: I know I haven't. I'm aware, and that's my point. You know, every morning I checked the Wall Street Journal of Financial Times at the very least, just checking for something. Even in India, Japan, the European Union, in fact, it feels like every other country is doing better than we are. I just read this morning European traders had their best year in a decade, and that foreign traders and others all trading off of the volatility and the currency shocks from the United States. So it seems like everybody else seems to be doing it actually pretty well. It seemed like a major shock to or actually politically, I know, you guys are covering to Australia today, it's like, oh cool. You know, it's like you're basically ushering in like global centrism. I'm sure that was definitely the project of the Trump administration. So it's just been a colossal failure, stupidity predicted. And it would be funny if there were not millions of people to be affected. Like I mean, the stroller thing is just a minute example, you know, for someone like me, But I mean, you know, it's only what one of the most important periods of your entire life, and you know, just to think about people who are struggling, who are out there who need a stroll. You know, I've talked about this. You're not allowed to leave the hospital if you don't have a car seat. It's okay, good luck. Over ninety four percent of them come from China, so if you're having a kid six or seven months from now, I know you're probably not thinking like this, I would buy one today, and you know, if you can't afford it or something like that in the future, you're going to have to try and buy secondhand. That's not really something that I want people to have to do, right, And so these are really bad things that you're inflicting on people's lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know my view is, first of all, I think they just assumed that the terms are going to be a loss, and it is what it is. And for Trump, I think, yes, he likes tariffs and he likes power, and tiffts give him the ultimate power, you know. I think he even the comments in the Time magazine interview he was like sort of delighted that he had upended the election in Canada. He didn't care that it was in service of the opposite of his ideas, supposed ideological project.
Speaker 3: He just liked that it revolved around him.
Speaker 2: And I think that, you know, he made other comments in that interview about how he's like the you know, controls the world effectively, and I think that's the way that he feels about it, is he loves making the whole world dance to his tune, and that's really more than anything to me what this is all about. But we did, as you mentioned before, we did get some new guidance from the dear Leader about what sorts of toys and in what quantities and school supplies our children should be content with. Let's go ahead and take a listen to Trump on that.
Speaker 5: You are at your cabinet meeting. You said, quote to quote when you said, maybe the children will have two dolls instead of thirty dollars, and maybe the two dollars will cost a couple of bucks.
Speaker 1: More than they would normally.
Speaker 5: Are you saying that your tariffs will cause some prices to go up.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 6: I think the tariffs is going to be great for us because it's going to make us rich.
Speaker 5: But you said some dolls are going to cost more. Isn't that an acknowledgement that some prices go up.
Speaker 6: I don't think a beautiful baby girl needs that's eleven years old, needs to have thirty dollars. I think they can have three dollars or four dollars. Because what we were doing with China was just unbelievable. We had a trade deficit of hundreds of billions of dollars with China.
Speaker 5: When you say they could have three dollars instead of thirty dollars, are you saying Americans could see empty store shelves.
Speaker 6: No, No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying they don't need to have thirty dollars, they can have three. They don't need to have two hundred and fifty pencils, they can have five.
Speaker 3: Five pencils.
Speaker 2: I get the good needs is the doll allotment has been increased from two to a max of four.
Speaker 1: So progress there. Yeah, I mean to borrow from Richard Nania. Like this is maga maoism, Like this is literal maoism in terms of yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, actually I was thinking about that because I saw a lot of people saying like this is this is like communism, but at least in communism, the idea was like you're going to take from the wealthier people make everybody equal. This is like we're going to take from the poor to make the rich richer, and like make sure that Donald Trump and his oligarchic cartel are you know, wildly wealthy. Although you know, I see me shaking your head. It is true that the billionaires are getting hurt here now too. But the idea is if you're one of the insiders, you're going to be able to consolidate even more power because who's going to get decimated by these tariffs? Amazon and Walmart, they're going to have a bumpy path. They're going to make it through small and medium sized businesses.
Speaker 1: They're going to be destroyed. You know, I don't disagree. I was just I was just going to say that that actually was the net effect of the Soviet system, which is, yeah, everything's great, but actually, irl, what happens is a bunch of commissars and all those other people. So actually, I think the Mao analogy is accurate because really what it was is that Maoism the cultural revolution others, if we used ideology, I've got a good mouth book behind me actually, which was used as a tool of ideology to purge anybody who was not sufficiently like you know, who is not sufficiently like worshiping the culture personality around him, including some of the most effective people like Deng Jahouping and others, while cultivating this era of stupidity where it was all supposed to be in service of like the Great Cultural Revolution, of the peasant class and then that effect was like famine while a lot of these other people either lived large or a mass large amounts of power. I think the Soviet system very similar. So the stupidity and the corruption you know, within it, and it's kind of baked in I think to the general ideology. But yeah, I mean, really what it comes down to is this is antithetical. I think to a lot of the reason, not only the reasons why trump Ism, if there is such a thing, was popular. I mean, if we really do think about why Trump even won the overall election, people were not just a set about inflation or up set about immigration. I think in general, you know, the American spirit has a lot of social libertarianism to it, where the idea is is that we don't want to tell you what to do, just go ahead and live your life. We want to make everybody rich and or better off so that they can be able to do whatever it is they want to do. And so it's pretty different. You know, whenever the president is telling you the number of pencils that your child is allowed to have at school or the number of toys that you're allowed, like, look, you know, maybe he's right crystally you know a lot better than I do. Maybe kids don't need a bunch of different Barbie doll But what if you want to buy it for him? Okay, you know what if you know I already know that. If you know, if you have a daughter and she's five and she's asking me for if I have the money, it's happening. All right, that's probably a bad thing. But like I'm going to buy it, and that's that. It's one of those where it's kind of grotesque, you know, to be lectured by the leader of the country as to what you're allowed to spend your hard earned money on now. And and you know, just finally, because now I've been beating this Trump for a month. If we wanted to start a program of building children's toys which are super safe with no lead, where we know exactly where they're made, and we're supporting like small businesses and people who are craftsmen and others who have been working on this for a long time, and it's somebody's dream, you know, to be able to open a store and they get a tax credit and all that, I would be all for it. I would say that's fantastic. It's great, let's get it out of China. Let's make sure that these are actually to a very very high safety standard, unlike many children's toys that we have right now. But that's not what's happening, right you know, It's like instead, you're just cutting off from them, and then you're not really helping anybody over here. And in fact, you know who's the best off, Like you said, it's Amazon, and it's Walmart or any of these other places which are just gonna use loopholes to be able to stock pilot inventory. Or you know, right now, Walmart is actually discounting even though they're eating a ton of loss. Why to nuke everybody else because they can afford it. They have a tons of on their balance sheet. Same with Amazon. I don't know if you I talked about this on Wednesday. Amazon literally told it's we're not accepting price increases, right, which, yes, what You're screwed if you have a supplier you need to sell on Amazon. Good luck, team man, You're done. I'm already starting to see it. A few little products that I buy no longer available on Amazon. Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Really yeah, I mean, listen, on the critique of consumerism, there is a version of this I am open to, right, I wish we had a less sort of disposable society where you know the number of toys and books and clothes and whatever that just gets like, you know, basically tossed or or you know, taken to goodwill or the op shop or whatever. There's you know, we don't really value having a few quality, perhaps locally made things.
Speaker 3: But that is not that is not what.
Speaker 2: We're talking about here, right, there's no other part of that agenda that exists. In fact, dose just making sure we don't have safety regulators to make sure there's no lead in the toys. They're rolling back the provisions with regard to toxic chemicals, et cetera. So yeah, it's just like suffering for the sake of Trumpian power plays. This is an interesting and sort of complicated one. Let's put this up on the screen. We've been covering Timu and San and they're the way they're impacted by the TERRAF. So in addition to everything that's been done, Trump is now rolling back that deminimous loophole exemption that you have had your eye on for a while, Sager, that basically lets these low cost producers ship directly to consumers here in US, and so long as the amount is under eight hundred dollars, they have been, you know, been able to bypass any sort of customs, imports, duties, et cetera that is being rolled back. It's going to have a huge impact on Timu and Shan, but also it's going to have a huge impact on Google and Meta and any sort of online platform that depends on ad revenue, because the numbers around this are quite astonishing. They'd flooded Google in the US with ads for the goods they sell. Those started to disappear from the platform in April. On April fifth, t accounted for nineteen percent of all US ads the almost twenty percent of all US ads displayed on Google Google Shopping.
Speaker 3: Now that number is zero.
Speaker 2: Shean also went from around twenty percent to zero by April sixteenth. So there will be significant reverberating effects not just with T moon she In, but with the entire economy that revolves around advertising revenue, including yours.
Speaker 1: Truly. Yeah good low, yeah, good luck. Look, I'm for the Dominus thing. I'm for you know, Team Shoe. I think they're bad. I just think they're empirically bad. I think they're bad, bad for the American consumer. I think they're bad for the way that they use the Dominimus loophole. It effectively does punish people in the US. But again, let's get back to the point. It's not about you know, the te moon she and bad overnight cut them off good or not let them stay. It's about plan. It's about the fact, like you just said about advertising, it's like a fast fashion or making sure that people have access to bigger things or other things to be able to buy. You know, there's like a cultural component obviously the government can't get deeply involved in. But more broadly, the other thing with the Trump administration is you just never know if this is real or not, Like is this part of some sort of concerted strategy because de Minimus, we've covered here now for several months, has been on and off approximately five or six times. So if you're a company, like or anybody else who's thinking about, like, oh my gosh, tema machine's going away, maybe we can start. I'm trying to think, what was that brand called American Apparel, something similar like a not fast fashion, but like a mid tier fashion band made in America. They had quite a bit of success actually, if I recall. But the point is that if you wanted to bet, you know, on building something here on Sore, how do you know that overnight Temy and Shean are not going to be able to come back. Look at the TikTok thing. It's literally a piece of legislation that Trump just decided that he's not going to enforce. Whether you like this or not, this is a ridiculous way to make policy. And the whole point is that it's just freezes investment all across the US. It punishes us consumer. They're seeing only things that are subtracted. There's nothing being added. There doesn't feel as if not only there's a steady you know, handed at the wheel, but they're just generally thrown into complete chaos. And that is just not really a way to live for people who are not you know, it sounds stupid about shopping or whatever, but you know, like you said, twenty percent reduction in Google AdSpend that has some pretty reverberating effects across the economy. Take us out of it. I mean, do you know how many I would venture to say that almost every American who owns stock probably owns some share of Google that's fifty sixty percent, whether you own it for this S and P five hundred or not. Think about if you live in an area which relies on Google, they build you know, data centers or anything. So that's the other thing is about the downstream overall economic effect of what this stuff looks like, is you know, their fiftieth and sixtieth order consequences to just sucking all of this money out of the US economy. And I think that's what I really object to.
Speaker 2: Here Griffin was saying, it'd be pretty ironic of Trump and I'm destroying the US podcast class.
Speaker 3: That would be kind of funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know it's funny though, because I think they would probably still be fine. Unfortunately, the sports gambling industry is still roaring, and they're the ones who are really propping them up along with the discount biagra pills, So I don't think they are going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well we'll have to wait for the next maw it'ed move from Trump to go after those industries. Let's go and take a listen to the guy who runs the port in LA because there is perhaps no one who would have his finger on the pulse, more of what is headed our way and more importantly, what is not headed our way. Right now, let's go ahead and take a listen to what he has to.
Speaker 9: Say about a third of the import volume, which means give or take about fifty twenty foot equivalent units gone off. The arrivals coming in next week.
Speaker 10: So from next week is when you expect to say this really hit.
Speaker 9: That's correct, and that matches up the announcements back on April second, then on April eighth, a little bit of a change on everybody ex China, Mexico, Canada, and those arrivals are coming at us this weekend.
Speaker 10: Well, of course, dedicate time to you'll pull up. I'm just wondering how you anticipate in this rose and ripples through the economy from here, how it hits trucking when this turns up on the shaft. What's the distance the time from when you see a drop off in volume and when we as consumers say the shortages.
Speaker 9: So CEOs are telling me hit the pause button, right, I'm not going to import any more at these kind of prices. Let's wait and see. I don't know if it's going to be two hours, two days, or two weeks till I get some clarity, then hiring off the table for right now, capital investment pause, and the retailers are telling me that realistically, with even the ten percent, I'm going to have to pass it on to the consumers.
Speaker 11: So how much is this really coming from all over? It's not just about China. This is about really global trade coming to a standstill until there is a much greater degree of certainty and a much lower terror freight than even the baseline that's been put out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when I was last with you, at least I said global trade's going to slow, economies will follow, and that's exactly what we're seeing. Back in November, so many of us were wringing our hands about four percent inflation. We've just added ten percentage points to imports coming out of Southeast Asia for our port and these unbelievable numbers out of China.
Speaker 11: How much are you going to see a real decline in dock workers if this goes on?
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is the question.
Speaker 9: So the trucker hauling four or five containers today, next week she probably hauls two or three. The dock workers are no longer going to see overtime and double shifts. They're going to probably work less than a traditional work week. Starting right off the bat, every four containers meet a job, so when we start dialing this back, it's less job opportunity.
Speaker 11: And what happens if we get a deal.
Speaker 9: If we get a deal, it's going to take about a month.
Speaker 1: Let me walk you through that real quick.
Speaker 9: About two weeks to get the ships repositioned around these major ports from chin Dau to Shahai to jah Men, load up all those containers, and then another two weeks to steam across the Pacific to get to us. This is important because now we're talking about the spring and summer fashion, so we're kind of at a crux here that we've got to have something pretty quick and back to school, which is I think very critical when it comes to political pushback for this administration.
Speaker 2: It's interesting what he says. They're not just about the timing, but he's like this, we're not just talking about China here, and you know, let's just put our no up before I get your reaction to all of this saga. Who was talking about, you know, Japan. Originally the idea was that we're going to have this grand encirclement strategy. We're going to use Japan to agree to this to help to isolate China. Fast forward today, Japan is so antagonized, their publicly calling US proposals absolutely unacceptable and are threatening for the first time ever, and on national TV to sell their holdings of US treasuries as a tool of economic warfare against the US, in other words, of policy intended to isolate China as achieving the exact opposite outcome.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean I was flagging a lot. I could see that's coming from a mile away, you know. I saw the Japanese Prime Minister in the parliament and I was like, man, this is not good. Whenever you start hearing that type of rhetoric. These are very careful and reserve people. They know exactly what they're doing. That also as an indication not only of how they're feeling it at the governmental level, but broadly how they're seeing, you know, being able to push back against the US as a democratic thing, which has really not happened in a long time in Japan's from an it's very isolating, you know, And so not only is about a failure of policy, but it also does show you that the amount of uncertainty now injected into global trade is such that the overall effect for the US consumer it takes months to shake out. And I think the most interesting part of the port of La Ceo there was him saying even if it were there was a pause on everything, that it would still take a month for it to come back. So, I mean, what is that like a lost quarter of overall US GDP? Like, that's a lot and we just had what the negative print on the number, and it's a little complicated, and I know you guys have talked about that in terms of the because a big part of is a number of imports and things like that. So it's not perhaps as catastrophic as people may think. But I'm very curious to see what that next figure looks like with this overall drop in trade. And I also feel for a lot of those dock workers, truck workers and others people who really I mean, they were going through it already, and you know it's already in terms of the decline, but you know, trucking, what is it the number one industry for non college educated men in the US be able to earn over one hundred thousand dollars per year it's why it's one of the reasons is the most popular industry. Get paid a decent amount of money, you get to set relatively some of your own hours, and you have a decent amount of freedom. This is just takes it away from you and that's financially devastating, you know, for people, and then yeah, you're going to start looking at other things. I saw.
Speaker 2: I wish I could remember the numbers, but the percent of people who live in and around LA who are somehow employed by the port ecosystem is just massive. And obviously, I mean LA is the biggest port in the country, but Glint is also huge. I mean, we have a number that would be massively impacted. And frankly, I think a month too. Like let's say there's a deal the executive director there are the Port of La saying would take a month to sort of shake things out based on COVID, I feel like that's kind of optimistic because there were so many reverberating impacts that, you know, because once you the truckers aren't getting enough work, then they leave and they go to other jobs, and then you don't have enough truckers, and then you know the dock where like, there's a whole compounding impacts that are hard to anticipate in advance, So I feel like a month is kind of a best case scenario, assuming that everything goes relatively smoothly in being able to unwind all of this. Two quick indications here before we moved onto Warren Buffett. We can put up McDonald's on the screen Burger Chains saying that terris are hurting sales after reporting largest decline since the pandemic. Apparently also their like biosque situation in the stores is also a big flop, which I would agree with. It takes so much freaking longer to order on those dang kios than just telling someone your order, So please bring back to human beings. In addition, Apple they say that the terriffs could cost them nine hundred million dollars almost a billion dollars just this quarter, and Tim Cook says there's actually some extraordinary factors that make that number less this quarter than it could be in quarters moving forward, and Sager remember Apple is one of the companies that has been a beneficiary of some of the larger exemptions to the tariff policy, so this is also being seen as a pretty dire indicator.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think one of you guys said that. It was like, this is one of the best managed companies in the world, with a shit ton of balance sheet cash, and you know, they're they're at global experts, at trade navigation and all of us. And for them to be, you know, ripping a billion a quarter, that's not a joke, not in terms of not only in terms of their inventory and how difficult it will be for them to navigate. But I think the point was, now, multiply that by the average fortune five hundred CEO and you're like, oh, well, this is one of the best companies in the whole world. Then just think about what that's going to mean for so many others. I don't, Yeah, because they had already shifted.
Speaker 2: They had already shifted a significant amount to India and Vietnam, I believe, so they were sort of anticipating this and even so and got their exemptions because they're politically connected, and even so taking this kind of a hit. Let's go ahead and move on to Warren Buffett, of course, legendary investor. He just announced that he is retiring. I mean, what's he's in his nineties, so certainly, yeah, he's certainly put in his time. We can go ahead and take a look. He got a ten minute standing ovation at the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting where this was announced. You can see, you know, see everyone standing there for him, and he made some interesting comments during his remarks here in addition to announcing his retirement on the trade war and on global trade in general. Let's go ahead and take a listen to that.
Speaker 4: We want a prosperous world. Eight countries with nuclear weapons, including a few that are what I would call quite unstable. I do not think it's a great idea to try and design a world where a few countries say, ha, we've won and other countries.
Speaker 1: Are envious.
Speaker 4: So the main thing to do is not trade should not be a weapon. And the United States, United States, we've won. I mean, we have become an incredibly important country starting from nothing two hundred and fifty years ago. There's nothing that anything like it. And it's a big mistake in my view when you have seven and a half billion people that don't like you very well, and you got three hundred million are crowing in some way about how well I've done.
Speaker 2: And soccer I don't know that Warren Buffett's views on trade are exactly the same as my views on trade. But I do think that last point he makes it's a really key one, just in the way that this particular trade war has been executed. He's like, you're making the whole world hate you. The whole world, You're uniting the entire globe against you. Like this is not a good idea.
Speaker 1: I respect Warren Buffett. He's a classic, you know, neoliberal free trader, and he profited quite a bit off of the of the Chinese economy and all of this. So I mean, look, I don't want to you know, just besmirch or whatever, who I think is a very interesting man. But yeah, we'll put his views on trade aside. He is not incorrect, you know, broadly about not only the chaos and the isolation that has happened as we just discussed with Japan. But you know, we also should look to his financial strategy for if anything, let's disregard maybe his like broad ergy of political views, and we can say is definitely an expert in making money. If anybody ever wants, there's a great book about it him. I think it's called Snowball, which I read that and several years ago fantastic book just broadly about like who this guy is, what makes him tick, the strategy behind all of it. It's actually really Warren's life tracks the development of the modern US economy, and since he's one of the greatest investors on paper ever, you know, seeing his mind kind of work through those decision points at those critical moments in US economic history is just a great way for not only to understand Balfit, but also to understand kind of everything that's happened. But to take this out of it, look at what he is currently betting on, and his mind still works quite well. They're sitting on hundreds of billions of dollars in cash because of uncertainty, and that is a giant red signal right to the overall US, to the equities market, to the banking sector, to the consumers, investment investors, and others for how they should be thinking in terms of whether they should outlay anything. And so that kind of hold back for where if you have the cash, you should just go ahead and keep it. That's going to have big impacts no matter what, because people look to Berkshire Hathaway to make their own investment decisions. And I think that actually is the most critical part of Warren Buffett, at least in his importance right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you can't deny his track record in you know, investing and seeing trends and anticipating them, et cetera. And we can put put this element up on the screen, guys. This is something we've been tracking and covered previously, but it's worth updating you on Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway just announce they now hold a record three hundred and forty eight billion dollars in cash.
Speaker 3: It's twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Buffett's cash balance is up two hundred and thirty nine billion. He has net sold stocks for ten straight quarters. Their t bill balance is actually fifty six per cent higher than the FED itself, and that cash pile is now larger than the market cap of giants like Bank of America and Coca Cola. Now we don't know for sure whether there were any sales, you know, during this period recent period of market well not sales purchases during this recent period of market volatility to draw down on that cash balance, but based on the comments he made at that meaning, it seems like he's still very unimpressed with the direction of the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absolutely extraordinary. And again, like people should take just general notice that one of the greatest investors doesn't think that this is a good time to buy and always holding a decent amount of cash, and you know, just broadly, and I think we have this element as well, just about all of these different billionaires who are disclosing plans to sell billions of dollars in their own stock. Bezos here selling about five billion in Amazon stock, and I believe the same is the case for some of the other major tech CEOs who have taken a massive hit to their balance sheet. So yeah, they're taking money off the table and they're hoarding cash. Just like Warren Buffett. We've talked about this if in an era of uncertainty, businesses hoard cash. When you hoard cash, you're not making investment or hiring employees or doing any other different things that you may do. And not good. Not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's that's exactly right. And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you saw because you I think read all of Weisenthal's things as I do. But his theory is that part of why the market hasn't crashed as much as you may expect, although I will say, looking at ten thirty am right now, it is down this morning, but is because retail has been so conditioned to buy the dip that they are actually buoying the market, and that if you look at the much larger institutional investors, they are all extremely barish. And I think you know, Berkshire Hathaway here and Duck Bezos and other billionaires would be sort of emblematic of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't fault anybody for buying the dipper dollar cost averaging or you know, not making any big decison or not like deviating. I think on the institutional side, they also, as we're talking about just broadly, like they have investors, or they have shareholders, or they need to be able to plan for the future, They're not thinking about it similarly, and so for them, the problem, you know, the retail guys always discover is that those large forces are much more market moving and important than you are. You know, with your one hundred dollars a month or whatever that you're auto buying the S and P five hundred. And this is the problem, you know, with major capital and their control is that the hey are the ones you decide the fate really for all of us, they're major decisions and so whether we like it or not, they're the ones who are really pulling the strings here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. I have to live in the reality as it currently exists.
Speaker 1: Sager.
Speaker 2: Lovely to have you, sir, Great to see you. Everybody is very excited about you being daddy to be and thinking a lot about you and Jillian as you go through this.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys. Yeah, just shout out to any other expected parents out there. It's not easy. Do your own research, stand up for yourself, be your own advocate, and just make sure that you know you're taking everything with a grain of salt and making sure that you're paying attention. That's what I really hope lock in. But yeah, we're we're doing our best hanging on and I'll let everybody know as soon as I can when things are.
Speaker 3: In motion, all right.
Speaker 2: And lastly, we're bringing in, you know, some celebrity guest hosts to try their best to fill your shoes, and we're about to. I'm about to bring in Glenn Greenwald, who scarcely needs an introduction. Pulled surprise winning journalist, hosts of System, Update on Rumble, etcetera. Any advice for me or for him as we move into the oh, celebrity guest host portion of the show.
Speaker 1: I think just change things up. I think that's one of the most fun things. Whenever you have different guest hosts, song with different perspectives, or different hosts or any other things, you know, it can just be u it can be something new, and I think that's refreshing sometimes, especially in a crazy time like this.
Speaker 2: All right, Sager, go take care of what you need to, and hopefully we'll see again soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Bye, Glenn Greenwald, Welcome, Thank you for doing this with us.
Speaker 7: I'm so happy to be here. I just wanted to say I'm very well prepared. I actually I don't know if you studied it, but I have a big believer in method acting, and I spent the last few days navigating life as Saga, like I dressed like Kim, had my friends and kids call me Sager.
Speaker 1: So I feel, oh, yeah, is no, I'm done.
Speaker 7: I had to come on as myself. You don't want to like show what you're doing, so oh in my pocket my pocket handkerchief as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm ready to embody Sager excellent. I'm looking forward to that. We actually Saga was able to join for the A Bloc, so the audience will be able to compare and contrast just how well you do excellent, And we.
Speaker 1: Already gave you all.
Speaker 2: Your accolades Politicerprize winning journalists, blah blah blah, So no worry, you're properly presented here. I've got a bunch of news stories I want to get to with you. There's a lot of stuff that is like right in your wheelhouse. But before we did that, I wanted to get your reaction to Trump gave an interview to NBC's Meet the Press Crystal Welker. There were a number of moments that were noteworthy, but I wanted to get your reaction this one specifically where he says he's not sure if he's got to follow the Constitution.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: Some of the worst, most dangerous people on earth. And I was a to get him the hell out of here, and the courts are holding me from doing it.
Speaker 5: But even given those numbers that you're talking about, don't you need to uphold the Constitution of the United States?
Speaker 1: As President I don't know.
Speaker 6: I have to respond by saying, again, I have brilliant lawyers that work for me, and they are going to obviously follow what the Supreme Court said. What you said is not what I heard. The Supreme Court said. They have a different interpretation.
Speaker 5: Is anyone in your administration right now in contact with El Salvador about returning a brigovarsiat?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: You'd have to ask the Attorney General of that question.
Speaker 2: So, Glenn, it doesn't surprise me to hear Trump saying like, I don't know if I need to follow the constitution some aspects of his administration. I think I expected basically the direction that he's gone in. But I have to say, you know, as someone who was accused of having Trump's arrangement, Centerman is still accused of such things. It's actually been much worse than I anticipated. And so I was just curious your perspective on how this is going visa VI, your expectations. What parts of it are you know, pushing further the attacks on civil liberties, some of the authoritarian tactics, et cetera. Just what's your view of how this is all going now that we're more than one hundred days in.
Speaker 7: It's a little bit of a complex question for the following reason. Obviously, I have been extremely vocal in denouncing countless Trump policies that are clear violations on basic civil liberties, on core concepts of due process and free speech. It's like an onslaught against the Bill of Rights, against the whole idea of having three branches of Congress. These things are very concerning and very worrying and very dangerous. That said, I started to make two quick points about this. One was in that interview that you just showed with Meet the Press. I do think that a lot of times, so many of the scandals that became these kind of red alert you know, eleven on the outraged scale scambals are the byproduct of Trump either trolling or not being very clear. He's not Actually he's a very effective speaker, but he's not a very cogent or clear order of his thoughts. They often get very confused. He becumes from some in the middle of sentences. I think what happened there was not he wasn't saying I think that, oh, we may or may not have to abide other constitution. The context for that was the Brigo Garcia case, where the Supreme Court, by a nine to zero ruling, ordered the Trump administration to do everything to facilitate his return and then report to the courts what it is that they were doing to be able to prove that they were complying with the Supreme Court order. When President Trump, you know, days later, met with Bukeley in the Oval office and a reporter asked him about that, like, hey, the Supreme Court told you get him back. It was obviously he hadn't read the Supreme Court opinion. I don't think it comes to a surprise to anybody that Trump doesn't read Supreme Court opinions. And so he sort of said, I'm not sure, and then he asked Stephen Miller, and Steve Miller stood up and explicitly and directly lied to Trump, saying, President Trump, we won on a ninety zero ruling. It was ninety zero in our favor, saying we don't have to get him back. And I believe Trump believes that to this very day. So I think in the interview, when she was saying do we have to buy it by the constitution, that could be a question of do we have to obey lower court judges or does the constitution require you to get him back? But having said that, just on that one issue, I do think that there is this They came in very prepared, and I kept hearing that throughout twenty twenty four from Trump people. We know what we did wrong on the first term. We didn't know what Washington we had too many people in the administration and sabotaging us. They came in with a very clear plan, most of which Trump explicitly discussed during the campaign, and it was all about eliminating any impediments to what Trump wanted to do, not just in the executive branch, but in the entire country colleges and media outlets and dissidents and activists. And that is where I think have been so radical and so extreme, and a full scale, very well coordinate attack on anything that might impedede Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's where you know, even on this comments like I hear what you're saying about, Well, he's clumsy and how he answered this, and sometimes he can be trolling. You know, he's also flirted with twenty twenty eight. But then in this interview is like, well, I'm not really that interested in that, et cetera. But when you also layer on top of that, he is also brazenly defying the Constitution any number of ways. I mean, you know, they think they have a case that they can take to the Supreme Court about the Empowerment Control Act, but power of the purse is long rested with Congress, and they just feel like they can do whatever they want with regard to not spending funds that have been appropriated, fire whatever they want, run rough shot over the government. Obviously, with regard to the Alien Enemies Act, they just decided, like, we don't have to offer due process. Another brazen violation of the Constitution. The assault on free speech with regard to college campus is not just with regard to foreign students, but also with regard to pressuring universities to you know, withhold diplomas from American citizens.
Speaker 3: All of these things.
Speaker 2: Are Oh, there was a memo that came out from this government or their position officially is that they don't need a warrant to go into your home if you are suspected of being a gang member, and apparently being suspected of being a gang member just means like you're maybe from Venezuela and perhaps you have a tattoo so when you put the comments in the context of it doesn't seem like this administration does feel like they need to abide by the typical understandings of the Constitution. One of his very first executive orders was to say, hey, we're going to end birthright citizenship, which the language of which is plaine of day, Plain is day inside the Constitution. That's one of the ways that I feel like Trump two point zero is different than Trump one point zero, where there was a lot of merit to the well, I'll take him seriously but not literally. This time, I feel like you do kind of have to take him literally based on the actions that they have taken thus far, which really have indulged his most maximalist instincts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree with that absolutely. I should note that several times Trump has been asked in the first four to six weeks of his administration, if the Supreme Court rules against you, would you ever consider ignoring or violating a Supreme Court order? And he very explicitly said absolutely not, I would never do so. And the difference between the first so I'm not saying that means he won't, I'm just saying that that idea has been in his head in.
Speaker 2: Because he basically is right now right, especially with regard to you.
Speaker 3: I know they're trying to play this legally.
Speaker 2: Is oh, well, facilitate means we don't really have to do anything.
Speaker 7: No, there's no question they're ignoring. Yeah, there's no quess right, zero question. And they're doing it brazenly and defiantly. When they go to a court, a lower court court or an appellate court, they're contempt for their idea that they have to justify what they're doing is palpable. So I agree with you about the difference between the first and second term. This is what I will say, though. I remember when Wolsonar got elected in Brazil in twenty eighteen, he had a long history of just the most alarming and disturbing statement to like, first thing I'll do is close the Congress. You know, Pinochet didn't throw enough people out of helicop on and on and on. And as it turned out, when he got into the question, was our Brazilian institution strong and willing enough to confront him even if it means risk, And the answer ended up being yes, he ended up being actually a very weak president. I think that happened in Trump point one two. There was such a mobilization of every institution to try and stop him, in my opinion, almost excessively. What we're seeing now, though, Crystal, is some serious pushback that I think can be meaningful. Like I said, Trump lost nine to zero in the Supreme Court. Yes, they're ignoring it. They're not facilitating his return. That's going to go back to the Supreme Court and we'll see what the Supreme Court does. You see other cases where they lost on a nine to zero ruling as well. With the Alien Enemies Act and whether due process is required before they can deport people in the Supreme Court said absolutely, not only that, but advance notice is required as well. A Trump appointed judge just you know, three days ago last week said he doesn't even have the right to invoke the Alien Enemies Act because we're at war. So I just think that a lot of what Trump is doing is extremely disturbing, extremely alarming. We're still in the first three months. We'll see if they run out of energy, if they start having internal dissent, but more importantly, whether our institutions can really confront it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I agree with that, and I think there's been more of a resistance that has been mounted in recent weeks, and the courts, you know, they take time to act. And one of the things that Trump two point zero has done, you know, very intentionally, is flood the zone. Is just take the chainsaw and just move and just act. You saw this very explicitly with the with the invocation of the Alien Enemies Act. They drafted it, they held it, they got the people they wanted to deport in place ready to board the planes before they released it publicly. You know, there were attorneys, who immigration attorneys who were starting to get wind of it. That's the reason they were able to cobble together this last minute hearing where the judge says, hey, you have to even if the planes are the air, you have to turn them around. And again they just ignore that and oh, well they were over international waters.
Speaker 3: We couldn't do anything at that point. So sorry.
Speaker 2: And by the way, since you issued that order from the bench, it doesn't really matter. But in any case that the point is just that, because they've been so willing to act aggressively and in ways that they themselves know are probably not going to hold up to judicial scrutiny, it has been very difficult for the courts to keep up. The Democrats have been utterly pathetic in almost all instances. I know is ye know who could have predicted that, But you know their initial instinct was to be really cowed by Trump two point zero. I think a lot of the media's instinct has been to bend the knee and basically bribe Trump to leave them alone so they can get their mergers through, et cetera. You initially had a Columbia University really bending the knee in particular, and other universities getting to follow suit. Now you've started to have led by Harvard, You've started to have a little bit of backbone demonstrated with the universities, a little bit of backbone now starting to be demonstrated by the law firms as well. Still waiting a bit on the media, I guess we have a few signs of that as well. But you know, I agree with you that the now that Trump has become so unpopular, and I think the tariffs have been particular stapped of a lot of popular support and institutional support as well. I think there's more pushback than there was previously, but I'm concerned about how much damage they can do before things are rained in and as you know, because you've covered this better than probably anyone, once the executive claims a power for itself, Once an executive tramples on our rights, it's very hard to put that genie back in the bottle.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Usually you just go increasingly in that direction. Whatever power the last president grabs, the next president grabs that power and expands it even further.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I just wanted to pick them on that last plant because I think it's such a crucial one. During the campaign twenty sixteen and then even during the Trump presidency, one of the things that bothered me and concerned me about the liberal reaction to Trump, you know, like the maximalists, hair on fire kind of reaction, and that just being things like Russia, eate, I mean, like, you know, just reactions to a lot of the policies, is that so often things were depicted as some sort of singular trumpy and evil that was this radical departure from the American tradition. I remember the first time I really was irritated by this was when Trump invited the Egyptian dictator Sissy to the White House and the media went berserk and said, this is no American president would have done this, embraced a dictator like this before, and I was like, what, that's the whole history of the post World War two era American presidents embraced dictators pretty much every month. It's what they wake up and they do. And there was a and so much of what I feel like going through these first three months of the civil liberties onslaught is it reminds me so much of those Bushheney years. You know, when I began writing about politics, where the big framework was is the administration could do anything. It could put people in prisons with no charges in the middle of an ocean, or kidnap them or torture them, or spy on people. And the if you raise questions about it, the answer always was, why are you defending the terrorists? And he would be like, what the whole point of what I'm saying is that you don't know if someone's a terrorist until they get due process. And that's and you know, they invented all these radical presidential theories about why they can ignore congressional law. And there's an article today by jack Oldsmith, the Bush Cheney DJ lawyer in the and Harvard law professor in New York Times basically saying that most of the policies Trump is embracing, all being radically extended in more dangerous form, come from precedents that Obama won, that Biden won, that George Bush one on the extent of presidential powers. And he says, that's really the main problem this country has is we've made the president into a king, which you know, is exactly what the founder sought to avoid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the last thing that we can move on to what's going on with Yemen and Israel and Iran some you know, very ominous developments that we'll track. The last thing I wanted to get you on is something that Michael Tracy has been talking about is the way that this Trump administration seems to think that national security, or deeming something a national emergency, as with the tariffs, is a kind of cheat code to be able to just do whatever you want without having to worry about laws, Congress, courts, due process, etc. You see that that's the Alien Enemies Act, that's the exploration of declaring cartel members any enemy combatants. That's the justification for the tariffs as well. And that direction, to me is also very unnerving because Historically, the courts have granted the executive a lot of bandwidth to declare what is and isn't a national security threat, what is and isn't a national emergency, etc. So they feel like they can just stretch that outrageously to be able to claim effectively wartime powers here at home, you know, with massive blowback on our own citizens, not to mention immigrants who are here as well.
Speaker 7: No, that is a massive concern, and that was part of what Professor Golsmith's article is about, was exactly that there's the set of precedents now, the idea that presidents have virtually unimited power and war, that's very embedded American culture. Obviously, you know, Lincoln notoriously suspended habeas corpus during the Civil War. We obviously don't have anything remotely close to that. You know, FDR use the Alien Enemies Act to detain huge numbers of Japanese Americans and concentration camps on the grounds that they're alien enemies, and the courts have often approved of these over the decades, creating this you know, almost omnipotent presidency. But most presidents have had some restraints on what they were willing to do political ones or ethical ones or whatever. And Trump is taking that to the fullest extent. And you know, again in the War on Terror, that's what was happening. And well, and then finally you did have pushback from courts, like in two thousand and eight the Supreme Court rule that even Guantanamo detainees have a right of habeas corpus to go in and see the against them and to question it, and huge numbers prove their innocence from that, showing the dangers of just allowing the president to treat people as guilty before they've been found guilty. But again, I think that Trump is exploiting in a very dangerous way a long history of expanding executive powers, in part because people in Congress don't want that responsibility. They're happy to let the president make tough decisions because they just want to get reelected.
Speaker 2: That's a good transition to Yemen and the Hoofies, I would say, And we can go ahead and put these images up on the screen. So they were able to successfully launch a ballistic missile that struck near Israel's main airport. This just happened on Sunday. You can see the black smoke there rising in the air. This is, according to the Wall Street Journal, a significant target, a rare hit of such a significant target, and happened just hours before the Israeli cabinet voted unanimously to expand their war in Gaza. There were a number of injuries, no fatalities, however, and the Houthis are saying that they are going to continue. They're saying that they're instituting an air blockade. I don't think they have that those capabilities, but they certainly demonstrated here. The US and Israel attempted to intercept this missile. They were unsuccessful, and so you have it, you know, causing some damage to there near the airport.
Speaker 3: Glenn, what do you make of this?
Speaker 2: And also just I mean, this is again an escalation and continuation of the Biden policy visa VI what the US has been doing with the hoo Thi's of just hey, we're going to just keep bombing them rather and we know the one thing that worked you get the Houthis to stop doing the thing that they're doing was a ceasefire.
Speaker 3: But instead we're just.
Speaker 2: Going to keep bombing them, even though everyone knows this is not going to be successful. And yet somehow, you know, this was the topic that was in the signal Gate conversation. Everyone pretends like, if we just make a bomb go boom is somewhere in Yemen, that this is a quote unquote success.
Speaker 7: It's so interesting because the one of the worst humanitary crisis of this century was when Saudi Arabia aged all out war with the very direct and over help and cooperation with the Obomb administration on Yemen in an extent to exterminate the Houthis. It killed massive numbers of innocent people, It caused mass famine and Yemen, and yet it really didn't degrade the houth The's capability at all. They learned how instead to protect their military assets, how to bury them underground, how to disperse them. It really made them stronger. And it's so interesting that you say that throughout twenty twenty four, Biden was bombing the Houthis almost every day, not nearly to the extent the United States is now bombing them under Trump, but still nonetheless bombing the every day. And I don't know if you've seen it, but in mid twenty twenty four he did an interview Trump did with Tim Pole, who asked him about the bombing of Yemen, and Trump denounced Biden, saying, yeah, these democrats, they just want to go all around the world bombing people. It's totally unnecessary. Why would we bomb the houthis At least then from like an America first perspective or whatever, Hoothies really were attacking American ships because they blamed us correctly for arming and funding Israel's destruction of Gaza. Once that ceasefire happened, the who he said, We're not going to attack anybody anymore. Our cause is done, and they did stop. And then once Israel quickly violated the ceasefire agreement by blocking humanitarian need from entering the ceasefire required them to do so, they said, we're going to resume our attacks, but only on Israeli ships, so not on American ships. They hadn't attacked American ships for two months when Trump suddenly decided he was going to not only reinstate, but radically escalate the bombing campaign of in Yemen. And it is such an interesting test in some way for MAGA, in that they've claimed one of their main goals of their political movement is to end Middle East wars, and here you have Trump totally gratuitously restarting one, and there's been some muttering, but not very much pushback at all.
Speaker 2: Well, and this is one of the things that was most disturbing to me about Signalgate is when you look in all the people that are in that chat. You got Toulci Gabber, you got jd Vance, you got Joe Ken, all these people, number of whom are supposed to be maggot in America. First, Jade Vance puts up this like weird complaint about isn't this just too good for Europe that we're doing this. I mean, listen, I get it. He's trying to appeal to a certain audience. But once that gets swatted aside and Steven Miller comes in over the top and basically says, no, this is what the boss wants everybody. Okay, great, you know, fift pound fire, American flag emoji, et cetera. And that, to me was sort of lost in the also significant and serious conversation about use of signal and all these sorts of things and kind of the process of it. But the fact that there was next to no dissent about a policy that everyone knows to have failed, and also by the way, is illegal in my view, should be authorized by Congress. And you know, this all just played out in this very casual signal chat where we know now there have been massive strikes on innocent civilians. There was a migration center for a number of African migrants who were killed, and this just goes almost unremarked at this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, as Michael Tracy said, you could never go broke betting on the continuation of bipartisan foreign policy in Washington. No matter how many candidates who win say they're going to you know, revolutionize it and uproot it, it just sort of continues endlessly. You know, I think that signal chat is interesting. I mean, I think Jadvance I would give him a little bit of space in that he knew he was, you know, communicating with a bunch of people who don't care about civilian casualties at all, don't care about the implications of starting a war, so he was trying to kind of play into their you know, prejudices and beliefs. Maybe I'm being naive, but you know, he was trying to cater his argument to that crowd, saying I think this is a mistake. You know, he was clearly opposed to it, but it was a very timid, very meet. Soon as he got pushed back, he said, no, no, don't worry if it happens, all supported publicly. And then when Pete Haig says showed, look, we just you know, just destroyed this whole building, this residential building that they bombed an apartment building because they thought a hoothy commander was inside with his girlfriend. It was a residential building.
Speaker 1: JD.
Speaker 7: Van said, you know, awesome, and they all started putting up their muscle on American flag tap you know emojis, including Talsea, who I know for so long has been v a mainly outspoken against the bombing of Yemen, and now she too is a supporter of it. And I know we're talking about Mike Walts in a second, but this, to me is one of the most alarming parts of the Trump administration is you do have some ideological diversity and disagreement in some areas, but what has been made abundantly clear to everybody is that the only relevant metric is not where you stand in this issue, where where you stand that at you, but absolute loyalty to Trump. So when Trump speaks, you nod, you defend it, and you carry it out with your greatest enthusiasm, and the slightest hint of disloyalty puts you under suspicion or even getting fired. And that is the climate that I find so chilling, because it's not just for the White House, but they're trying to make it for the country as a whole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's so well said.
Speaker 2: And the other part of the Houthi strike on Bengurian Airport that is playing out right now, I can put this next on piece up on the screen is Boebe is clearly trying to use this as a pretext to try, once again for the millions time, to pull us into war with Iran. So he says here he's quote tweeting an old post from President Trump. He says, President Trump is absolute right attacks by the Houthis emanate from Iran. Israel respond to the hoothy attack against our main airport and at a time and place of our choosing to their Iranian terror masters. And the post that he, you know, he quote tweeted here says every shot fired by the Houthis will be looked upon from this point forward as being a shot fired from the weapons and the leadership of Iran and Iran will be held responsible and stuff for the consequences, and those consequences will be dire. So yeah, there are really there are ideological battles that are playing out within the Trump administration. We've seen this person in that person getting fired, Mike Will, most notably being, you know, given the much less prominent and significant role of UN ambassador. But some of these battles are also less about ideology and more about personality conflicts as well. So it can be kind of hard to suss out what exactly is going on here. But there's no doubt that BB is trying to do everything he can to draw us into war with Iran. President Trump so far has been interested in negotiating with Iran. I think that's one area of this administration that I can say, you know, that's to his credit, and I hope he continues in that direction. Nor do I have But it's not like I have a lot of confidence that we're going to have the patience to wait out what will undoubtedly be difficult diplomatic maneuvers here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's a clear split inside MAGA that is very genuine You've seen some very prominent MAGA voices or influencers that Trump cares about. I guess you could say, including Tucker Carlson and Charlie Kirk and Steve Bannon, who are essentially on a public and private crusade to make sure that Trump doesn't get pressured by Israel into going and attacking Iran, and JD. Vans is part of that. Donald Trump Junior is part of that. Make of these people what you will make of their motives, what you will The reality is that they have been on a very over coordinated campaign to try and persuade Trump that this will destroy his legacy and destroy his presidency. And then you have this other camp, of course, that Mike Waltz was in. That Marcar Rubio, though, is still in. Before we make too much of Mike Waltz's firing, his replacement is Mark Rubio and Cotton Lindsay Graham, that whole crowd, along with of course the Israelis Now, I do think you know, I'll just tell you this story. I debated Alan Dershowitz about seven months ago in New York, and the proposition was something like the us of Bambaran's new Court facilities, and I knew I was going to come and say, Yeah. I knew he was going to come and say, of course, because he's Alan Dershowitz and he's an Israel supporter. Aaran is like six and a half seconds away from having a NUCRO weapon. So I wanted to come and show how long those warnings, those same exact warnings have been emanating from Israel supporters, and it actually shocked me. You go back to like the late nineties throughout I mean, it's been like twenty five years that Netnyahu and his loyalists inside the United States have been trying to learn the United States into a war with Iran by saying over and over, you remember that chart, that that primitive cartoon that Netnya who brought to the un of the ticking time bomb. They are desperate and have been desperate to get the United States to go and destroy This is not about destroying the Nucro installations. They want to change the regime and reinstall the Shah, the Chavon's Sun. And I do think there's a part of Trump instinctively that would like his legacy to be like I ended Wars. I was the peacemaker. I think some of the blocosity we saw exactly the same thing from Pete has Hexstts this weekend, where he, you know, basically said exactly what Nanya who said, Aaron be unnoticed. We're going to pick a time in place of our choosing to make you pay for arming these. Hopefully that instinct that I really do believe is real and Trump, with conflicting instincts, will be able to be kind of manipulated. The problem is, as you know, Crystal, they withdrew from the Iran deal, and so any new deal has to be significantly stronger than the Iran deal for just Trump to justify why he pulled out. But that's very hard because the Iramians had negotiated to their fullest extent and got to the own point where they wouldn't go any further. And the question is how do you get in some middle brown where you're not going to warp but getting an Iran deal that isn't the Obama deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think they could probably get away honestly with just basically having the Obama deal, but with some space saving bullshit that Trump could point to. I don't think it would I don't know, just something that would have to be yeah that different that they could just be like, oh and look we crafted this gold Trump statue and he'll be like, look, this is so much better than the other deal that Obama did, or something.
Speaker 1: Of that nature.
Speaker 2: I do want to quickly get to the Mike Waltz thing. This is Extuner's report from the water jampost that Trump got pissed off at him. This is also encouraging, by the way, because he was seen as having acted too much in coordination with BB and it was just too overt that he was trying to push Israeli interests over US interests. Headline here is inside Waltzs's alister before Signal Gate. Talks with Israel angered Trump, And to your point, I was like, good that Mike Waltz is out. Now we have Marco Ruvio in. That's not really an improvement. And put the next one up on the screen. They're talking about Stephen Miller being the potential replacement for Mike Waltz, and Miller's the guy who in the Signal Gate chat is ultimately sort of the decider and seemed to be the one who was representing the position of the Boss. To your point earlier about I do think that Trump just believes whatever Stephen Miller is telling him with regard to the Alien Enemies Act and what the Supreme Court said. I think he even believed Stephen Miller just telling him like, oh yeah that his knuckles totally said MS thirteen, even though it was the most embarrassing photoshop of all time. So in some way, Steven Miller already occupies this position of extraordinary power. But he is I mean, he is an extremist. He has been aggressive about wanting to deport anyone who's pro Palestine. He, like I said, was the one who came in and said, yes, let's bomb yem and let's go forward.
Speaker 3: We're good with this, this is what the Boss wants, etc.
Speaker 2: So it certainly doesn't give me any comfort that it would be potentially Stephen Miller occupying this post if they don't just keep it with Rubio indefinitely.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I read the Washington Post over the weekend where it basically said that Trump advisors were telling the media that Waltz had stopped serving or working for the president of his country and began working for the president of another country, which isn't quite technically treason, but it has the very core spirit of being that yeah, I remember.
Speaker 3: Quite traitorous at the very least.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean plotting against your own president by consulting and conspiring with a foreign leader. That's like the definition of it. If it had been any other country, people would be immediately understanding of that. But I also thought, like anyone who reads that Washington Post, and Washington was thinking, wow, there, but for the grace of God, go I because when is the last time that was punished conspiring with Israel to advance and prioritize interests, its interest over American interests. But again this I found this encouraging too, Crystal, even though Mark Rubio is his replacement, even though Steven Miller and a bunch of other you know, radical zealous defenders of Israel are very much lurking in high positions of power. Because I think what irritated Trump is not just the disloyalty part of it where he met with that Yahoo kind of behind Trump's back in a way that Trump perceived it, but also you know, obviously he talks to Mike Waltz every day about key foreign policy decisions. That's what that job is, And it seems like every day Mike Waltz kept pushing Trump and pushing Trump and pushing Trump to ignore a deal, just saying, forget a deal, it's not even worth it. You can't trust the Iranians. That is the Tom Cotton Lindsay Graham position. And I think Trump has decided no, he wants to do a deal. He's going to do everything possible to do a deal. I do think there'll be a war after if they don't get one done. But when you have the person next to you pushing you to war, and there's all these comments, remember the list trainy comments. He gave big, big speech about MEO cons how there's a pathology in Washington of people who just constantly want wars. And I think he came to see Mike Waltz as one of those people three months late. He's always been that person, but I think that in this particular case, it just became too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Ukraine Hawks have been kind of smarter about the way they've approached Trumpian psychology, where they like, they're like, oh, you can do this minerals deal with Zelenski.
Speaker 3: It's a deal. You like deals, right, am? I?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And it de facto though, acts as a security guarantee and an indefinite US commitment to Ukraine. So Lindsey Graham is delighted. He's crafting a new like all out sanctions on Russia bill, which I didn't even know there were possible sanctions that we haven't levied together yet. Yeah, exactly, I'm like, what else can you possibly do? But he's got some ideas. Apparently that's got possibly a filbuster proof majority in the Senate if they choose to bring it up. And so yeah, I think the uh, I guess the Iranian the the desire for war with Iran was a little too aggressively pushed by Mike Waltz. He didn't quite understand the Trumpian psychology and how to handle this appropriately. And apparently he also pissed off Susie Wilds and treated her like she was a staffer. And so she was like, Okay, buddy, have fun at the UN Let's go ahead and get to this, this Boycott's bill that I know you've been tracking really closely. In fact, Glenn, why don't you go ahead and set up what this bill was meant to do, because it is, unfortunately in line with some other legislation that has previously been passed into law. Seemed like I had a head of steam co sponsored by Mike Lawler and Josh Geidheimer, so you had bipartisan support, and yet it ended up being, at least for now, they pulled the vote, and looks like APAC may take a rare l on this one.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think that if I just give the brief history of context, I think it's so interesting and so important. Yeah, which is you know how there was just like a whole industry of quote unquote ANTII woke pundits or whatever who incessantly focused on college campuses and you're like, why are you so worried about like college sophomores at over Ruin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a little familiar with that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think you you've heard a little bit about that, maybe you mentioned it a few times. One of the main reasons if you look at most of those people whose careers were built on that, they're very strong Israel supporters. Israel identified like ten or fifteen years ago that one of the main threats to their ability to dominate and repress their neighbors is that there was a growing boycott movement centered on American campuses that they were afraid of because it was modeled after the one in South Africa in the eighties that was driven by campus activism and that took down the apartheid regime. And they set out to decide, we have to put an end to this whole idea of advocating a boycott. They got the EU to criminalize advocacy of boycott's as the anti semitic. They got that expanded definition of anti semitism, and now they're doing the same thing in the US. The thing that always made amazing me Crystal is so few people know that in thirty seven American states, mostly Red states but not all, it is a requirement if you want a contract with the state that you have to sign a loyalty O saying you do not support and have never participated in a boycott of Israel. You can boycott American states or other countries, just not Israel. And now that law was the basis for what Trump did in a twenty eighteen which is he said it's now a felony if a company participates in a boycott sponsored by another country that the US government doesn't support. So let's say, like Iran wants to boycott Israel, and some company participates in that boycott even though the US government isn't. That's a felony to do. And now this new bill would expand it to include not just government, not just led by or advocated by foreign governments, but also international organizations, and it would include people who are boycotting Israel out of conscience and conviction, and it would turn them into felons. And I think, finally, this is almost like a bridge too far for a lot of people in the Senate, who, by the way, are also angry that the HI definition prohibits anybody from saying that Jesus participated in the killing of Jews, even though the Bible kind of implies that in some ways. Yeah, so I think they're kind of going too far.
Speaker 2: Finally, interesting, let's put let's put see one up on the screen. This is from drop site, which did a fantastic job covering this And actually Ryan was saying the amount of social media attraction they got from covering this bill was like extraordinary, So I think there likely was a massive effort, like a huge number of people probably called their congressman, and we're saying do not vote for this bill, and you know, on both sides of the aisle, so I think there might have been a public pushback here that was important too. You can see the Democratic co sponsors. You got a handful of them here, Gotttheimer, Moskowitz, morel Davis, and Gillen. You have a longer list here of Republican co sponsors, I mean, and the primary sponsor is this guy, Mike Lawler. It's also interesting to me this is a blatantly unconstitutional and extremist bill, and yet Lawler is seen as this quote unquote moderate. He's in a swing district in New York. I think he's very much in jeopardy for election this time around. He's just got re elected, so he's been there a relatively short period of time and is the type of district that could easily flip in a wave election year. But in any case, you know, I thought this thing was going to sail through, and now they've at least pulled the vote for today. I did not think it would get through the Senate because I didn't think they'd be able to garner enough Democrats to overcome a filibuster. But you did start to get You had Marjorie Tayler Green and can see two up on the screen. She I think was the first person who came out and said, listen, I'm not going to vote for this.
Speaker 3: I'll be voting no.
Speaker 2: It is my job to defend Americans' rights to buy or boycott whomever they choose with not the government harshly finding them or prisoning them. But what I don't understand is why we are voting on a bill on behalf of other countries and not the president's executives' orders that are for our country. You had Thomas Massey, who has been quite principled, you know, when it comes to free speech. He came after Marjorie Taylor Green says I agree, I'll be voting no on this bill as well. And you had Charlie Kirk also chime in and weigh in on this debate with his commentary. There was one piece of this that kind of irritated me. But we'll see if you had the same reaction to it, he says. Tomorrow the House will vote on HR. Eight sixty seven, a bill that will criminalize private boycotts of Israel finds up to a million dollars in prison time up to twenty years bills like this only create more anti Semitism. I think that's true, and play into growing narratives that Israel's running the US government.
Speaker 3: Also so true.
Speaker 2: In America, you're allowed to hold differing views, You're allowed to disagree in protests. We've allowed far too many people who hate America to move here from abroad. But the right to speak freely is the birthright of all Americans. That's the point that part that annoyed me. Because of courts First Amendment, free speech rights apply to everyone who's here. In any case, this bill should not pass. Any Republican that votes for this bill will expose themselves. We will be watching very closely. So I guess I am kind of curious what is going on here because if you look at Marjorie Taylor Green's record, if you look at Charlie Kirk's record, Thomas Massey put in a little different category, like they're all on board with kidnapping students off the street for daring to publish an op ed that.
Speaker 1: Was critical of Israel.
Speaker 2: It's not like they've been real consistent on the free speech part. Marjorie Taylor Green sponsored a Central Resolution against Rashida Talib for daring to participate in pro Palestine protests and called those protests, you know, insurrections. So it's not like she's been principled here. So where do you think that this is ultimately coming from?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 7: It was so interesting when when the Ukraine War happened. I had a lot of people in Congress who are MAGA affiliated or MAGA adjacent, and they were all against the Ukraine War. And I would love I did it with R. FK. Junior two ones. I would have them come on and be like, why against the Ukraine War, you know, and they would all say, it's enough. Enough is enough with funding the militaries and wars of foreign countries. We have so many problems in the United States. We can't afford to keep doing this. It's time to cut off all these wars that were fighting, that are earned in our interest and keep the money at home. And I would always say, oh, that's so persuasive. Does that apply to the financing and army of Israel as well? And of course they would start studying and trying to find reasons why somehow they ration out was different, when of course it so blatantly wasn't. I think what you're starting to say. And there was another Marjorie telling Green tweet about Iran, very you know, vocally saying we cannot go to war with Iran. We are sick of supporting a fighting wars for other countries in the Rea that have huge nuclear arsenals, which obviously means Israel. We're sick of fighting words for Israel. You know, chrise if you look. And this struck me the other day. Almost every day, literally there's some major event that comes from Washington, like a policy initiative or an executive order or a resolution, or a press conference or some big social media campaign from our politicians in Washington that are all about Israel. Like it's every day they talk about Israel. Every day they want to do something for Israel. And I do think, like those free speech abuses, it's starting to create this backlash, Like, wait a minute, I thought our whole movement was about America first, Like We're going to focus on the forgotten person and the working class and the downtrodden in the industrialized cities, and instead we're spending all this time on Israel, in attacking American civil liberties, on behalf of this foreign country. And I do think it's starting to create some real resentment, not like in little spaces, but some growing resentment. Rampaul a huge speech on the State for about the attacks and free speech from thishri Bill, and those are significant. Once that starts happening within a movement, many respected and influential voices within the movement saying the same thing, it can really spread quickly, and let's hope this does.
Speaker 2: I think you were right to point to that provision that you know, Christians really took umbrage at, felt like that was constraining what they could say about their own faith. But I also think we have to be honest about the fact that there is a growing, like overtly anti Semitic part of the republic. I mean thing I'm thinking about nickqwent tests very popular overt Nazi ideology, right, And I wonder I don't want to put that label on like you know, Marjorie Taylor Green or whatever. I don't know what's in our heart, But how do you feel about the fact that there is kind of a horseshoe with people who hold of you like Nick Fuentes and those of us who are trying to be principled about free speech and principled about Hey, let's not like endlessly bomb babies. This seems really bad. How do you intellectually gropple with that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: I think this is true of almost every issue, where people on the same side of the issue have sometimes differing motives or even radically antithetical movement motives. You know, you could have people who are concerned about the influx of people legally over the border because they're just white nationalists and don't want brown people in the country, and there are a lot of those, And you can have people with like good faith concerns. I mean, like people on the left used to worry about how it would drive down wages for the American worker, or how it would make cities incapable of absorbing them all in a humanistic way. And the fact that some people are on one side of the debate and who have really malicious ideas and others have well intention ideas, I think you just have to separate them out. But it doesn't impugne the fact that there's this coalition itself. And you know, you could say that on the other side of the that issue too, people who want open borders were big corporate interest and now there's a lot of liberals who believe that are not open borders but far less repressive and restrict ones. So on the one hand, I get what you're saying. And this whole idea of America First, you know, goes back to Charles Lindberg and the isolation is for World War Two, who thought we were getting involved in World War Two because the Jews were kind of prompting us to do so. So that is the tradition out of which America First non interventionism grows. But I also think these people do have a because if it were only if they were only applying it to Israel, I would say, Okay, this is probably driven by anti Semitism. They're also against the US involvement in Ukraine. They think that's just as much of a violation of the America First ideology that it's globalism. Pretty much, any military invention around the intervention around the world, that's how they see it. So yes, of course there's lurking anti Semitism, like every other bigotry and every faction. I personally don't think that's the driving thrust of all of this. I think they're starting to make it's becoming unsustainable to keep saying America first on the one hand, and keep voting one bill after the another in putting attacks on a civil American about this one single foreign country.
Speaker 2: I think it's becoming increasingly unsustainable. With the base, I would say, and we've seen. Look, Republicans are far more supportive of I'm talking about base. Republican voters far more supportive of Israel than Democratic base. But Democrats have basically fully turned on Israel at this point. Some eighty percent or something say we should not be shipping weapons anymore. The real core demographic that still supports this view are basically boomer Republicans. But even among Republicans, there's been a shift in public sentiment. And I do think that there is power in It's just so brazenly incompatible to say I'm America first, and yet I spend all my time thinking about talking about and passing legislation for the nation of Israel and hanging to it or where an IDF soldier uniformed into the halls of Congress or whatever you know, like it. Just I think from a public perspective, it's very hard to sustain that position, and so I do think you see some representatives who are having to bend some to that reality. I'm just you know, on a whole I'm just much more cynical about these people, just based on the track record. Yeah, I mean, they're still all voting for more weaponshipments to Israel in lockstep, like there is no dissent on that whatsoever. They're all on board with, Hey, let's just disappear any college student who participated in a protest we don't like, Let's just disappear and detain them and deport them and do whatever we can and attack the universities in this like in this the ultra the Wokesters could never have dreamed of the authoritary tactics being used to constrain speech at universities in defense of this one supposedly oppressed minority group, right, And so I just don't see anything approaching a consistent principle being applied here, which is why it's almost confusing to me that there was any descent on this bill whatsoever.
Speaker 3: And I didn't expect it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, just on that stuff. I mean, if you listen to Israel supporters and the way they argue, they have verbatim copied the script that they were kind of the character of the script of the woke left that they had spent years mocking, you.
Speaker 3: Know, in this one minority victim group.
Speaker 7: Yeah, save spaces. They had that like twenty two year old's college kid come from the universityild I am not safe while I stood by Mike Johnson, you know, hate speech codes to protect this minority group. Plus like the instant resorting to calling everybody a racist and bigot the minute you disagree. This is all like woke caricature of woke one oh one that they've been mocking that they now adopt completely. That said, you know, you mentioned these polls, and there's clearly a very substantial decline which we haven't seen in decades in American support for Israel. And while yes, a big part of that is due to almost uniform Democratic reversal on this, a big part of it as well are younger Republicans, Republicans under the age of fifty, who have had a massive jump. I think it's now a majority of people who say they disapprove of Israel is really just it's like older Fox News watching Republicans who still have maintained their support for Israel. And if there's one thing politicians know it's public opinions, so I'm sure they go to their town halls and are constantly asked about this. Of Apak is not going to disappear overnight, the Israeli lobby is not going to disappear overnight, nor is these decades long dogmas about how we have to protect Israel. But I do think that these things happen gradually, you know, through these incremental changes. And then also I do think once people get desperate, like once Israel supporters really believe they're losing the debate, they resort to increasingly extreme tactics like censorship and other things in a desperate hope to win, and it fuels the backlash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think that's right. And so you have two key constituencies apparently supporting Israel in lockstep right now. That would be Boomer Republicans watching Fox News. So this is an extraordinary piece from New York mag. Obviously, Senator John Patterman Pennsylvania wins. Is this kind of progressive every champion. You know, this is someone I was excited about seeing in the Senate. He positioned himself as a kind of like Bernie Sanders adjacent mayor of a steel town, declining steel town, et cetera great profile. Then tragically, during his campaign suffers a pretty severe stroke, is still able to defeat doctor Oz even after having a debate performance which was very clear this stroke had significantly affected him, and then once he gets into the Senate, his politics almost completely change. Now in fairness on Israel, and Ryan did all the reporting on this, he had even before the stroke been like, I'm pro Israel. And by the way, you know APAC and your affiliated groups, just tell me what you want me to say.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say it.
Speaker 2: Because he wanted to also make sure that they didn't get involved against him in his primary with Connor Lamb, who seemed like he could be a strong challenger in that Democratic primary at this point. But you know, we're just talking about members of Congress who seemed to spend all their time thinking about this foreign nation. And Richitaas and this guy are like pac in point number one and number two. So let's put this article up on the screen. Because some of Fetterman's staffers decided to speak to New York Magazine about what they are seeing behind the scenes. And you know, if you take them at their word, they're basically describing another health cover up, kind of akin to what we saw with regard to Joe Biden, where the stroke did really change his personality, made his views more extreme. Also have created, you know, this pattern of really erratic and frankly dangerous behavior at the headline here all by himself, John Fetterman insists he is in good health, but staffers pass and present say they no longer recognize the man they once knew, They say. His sixteen hundred word email this is Fetterman's, came with the subject line concerns contained a list of them. Sorry, this is one of his staffers who was sending an email of their concerns. From the seemingly mundane, he eats fast food multiple times a day to the scary, we do not know if he is taking his meds, and his behavior frequently suggests he is not. Often see the kind of warning signs we discussed. Gentlelsen wrote Conspiratorial Thinking Megalomania. For example, he claims to be the most knowledgeable source on Israel and Gaza around, but his sources are just what he reads in the news. He declines most briefings, never reads memos high high as low lows, long, rambling, repetitive and self centered monologues, lying in ways that are painfully, awkwardly obvious to everyone in the room. It's got to put the next piece up on the screen. Members of his team told this journalist this was an early warning sign that something was off with their boss. In early February twenty twenty three, after Fetterman had indeed been sworn in, members of the Senate gathered the Library of Congress for a caucus retreat. Betterman, fresh off a hard fought victory in the Cycles Marquis Race, should have been riding high, only he wasn't. Stafford recalled getting a text from a person the retreat asking if their boss was okay. Betterman was sitting at a table by himself, slowly sipping a coke and refusing to talk with anybody. Later that day, another staffer heard an alarming report from a journalist Betterman had just walked obliviously into the row and was nearly struck by a car. Fetterman went on to make statements that shock people. In opposing a ceasefire. With regards to Gaza, he said, let's get back to killing. Person who heard the conversation told me, he said, kill them all. In a statement, Fetterman denied the account, adding any reference to killing was solely about Hamas and I do support the destruction of that organization down to its last member and Glenn. In another part of this article, they describe his wife being in tears. You know, she's a sort of liberal humanitarian. She was upset over his position on Israel and Gaza, to the point of, you know, being quite emotional about it and saying, listen, they're bombing babies. You can't have this position.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: She denies that there's been any changes in his health status, but when you read the details here, including of his stay at Walter Reed, you come away with a quite clear impression that he is not well, that it's impacted his ability to serve his constituents, that it has fundamentally changed his positioning and his approach to a number of issues that voters elected him, you know, to have a certain ideological viewpoint.
Speaker 7: On Yeah, you know, just to address the leading example you raised, of course, it is true that you know, in twenty twenty two and elsewhere, Feedeman sort of gave lip service to the idea that he was in favor of Israel, I think most people understand that if you want to win statewide office, especially in a state like Pennsylvania where there's a very heavy pro Jewish pro a Jewish contingent pro Israel contingent, you can't just be like waving a Palestinian flag. So I think people kind of dismissed that. But what we've seen from him is not just like sort of pro Israel lip service, but like almost like a psychotic joy in seeing the destruction, wanting it to continue, on top of an extremely hostile posture to anybody who raises it with him. You know, he tries to be just as kind of offensive and alienating as possible in the ways that he speaks, which I don't think was the John Fetterman that we saw regularly prior to this stroke. I'm always a little hepotant to comment in someone's mental health or or psychological state, in part because I'm not a professional, but also because it's hard to assess people from a distance, but I do. It is so interesting to me, you know, when he had that stroke, every Republican I know was saying, you know, he's a vegetable, how can he possibly run yet alone win? And the minute he comes out and says I'm a big supporter of Israel. They're all like, Wow, his brain recuperated. He's one of the most sensible people in all of Washington. That really is all it takes to cure your mental health and still problems.
Speaker 1: I mean, but I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I have to say, Glenn, I hear you on like being reluctant to comment on someone's mental Like I'm also not an expert, but I feel less that way post Biden because the like, if you're hiding from us, what your capacity is, that has a direct impact on all of us. I mean, not just constituents. Pennsylvania senators are very powerful individuals. He has become an extremely prominent voice, held up by people like Bill Maher as a potential presidential canon. Now I think that's preposterous because much of the Democratic base hates this guy at this point. But you know, so That's why I don't I don't have any reluctance about it because I think there has been such an inclination among both parties, but in particular Democrats have had some of the worst examples lately. If you think about Feinstein, if you think about Biden as well, of trying to cover the reality of members and the president himself who were in decline, who were really not capable of fully functioning in the job. And I think it's an outrage to democracy, and I think it's an outrage to you know, Americans who deserve capable representation.
Speaker 7: No, it's a great point. I mean, I think the hiding of Biden's cogetive of the client, even though the entire public side saw it, the hiding of it within the DC press and political so of the Democratic Party is is a massive scandal. And it's one of the reasons why presidents have a duty to dispose their medical records, because of course it is relevant. And then it's the same for senators. I think the only difference I would put there is that the reason Americans concluded that Biden had those problems was because they sow it for themselves. And we've seen some public, publicly disturbing behavior from Fetterman. There was that you know, video circle circulating of him refusing to put on a seat belt and God and giving aggressive about it. Yeah, but no, I agree, it's it's a it's a huge issue, and I think you can see major changes in fetterman.
Speaker 2: And I mean he fell asleep behind the wheel. He fell asleep behind the wheel coming.
Speaker 7: Back and killed somebody and almost killed.
Speaker 2: Somebody, right not to mention like himself and his wife who was in the back seat after insisting his staff tried to insist on picking him up from the airport.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I mean, it's it's a it's a direct seems like a direct safety risk, but also obviously has consequence in terms of a public policy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just like to see, like somebody of professionals, like you know, examine him or I do think it warrants you know. I don't think we should just forget about it and be like, oh that's not a business or we don't we're not capable. It is alarming, and you can see it in some ways. And like I said, the way he talks about Israel to me that in and of itself is some sort of mental health problem. Like it's one thing to say I support Israel, I care deeply for the Palestinian civilians, this needs to end, whatever, But he talks about it with this like glee that Palestinians are being killed, not just a moss but in the most horrific ways possible, and that to me is mentally disturbing.
Speaker 2: Let me see it gets your reaction to Simone Sanders D three get guys put up on the screen. So you know, she's gone from being a paid spokes political spokesperson and operative to now a quote unquote journalist over at MSNBC. And she's reacting to this, she says, I don't know if you care about someone you know them, personally airing your grievances in the page of the paper just doesn't sit right with me. But to each their own, I guess. And then she got pushed back from a lot of people, but Josh Barrow in particular, she responded to, is put D four up on the screen here as well as she says, here's the thing, Josh, I'm consistent and consistently I have the soul of giving people dignity my fall up questions as did or did Sharif Street, the chair of the Democratic Party in Pennsylvania know about this?
Speaker 3: Was Schumer aware?
Speaker 2: Senate leadership alerted, I'm not saying no one should say anything. Frankly, that's a wilful misread of my statement. Why I am saying, is how one goes about it matters. Ben did his job as a journalist. But the staff who seemed to say their only recourse was Ben terras, I'm not buying it, and I'm fine to have my opinion about that. Lastly, not sure why you felt the need to attack me because of what I used to do. Regardless, that says more about you than me. So basically, she's saying, you should have raised these concerns with Chuck Schumer. But if the problems are as severe as is being depicted here, there's no one in the Democratic caucus who doesn't know there are issues, and none of them has chosen to do anything or say anything because you know, it's a Pennsylvania swing state seat, difficult to win, etc. So, and he's more or less a reliable Democrat vote, so they just kept their mouths shut.
Speaker 7: I think, I actually think there's a big problem with media. You know, we've always had like people who were in government sort of migrate sometimes to media. Bill Moyers was the press secretary from Lyndon Johnson and became, you know, a great television journalist. It's noting it can't happen. The problem is with the dominance of cable news in twenty four to seven coverage, that's pretty much all you have. And then so many times people who have been political hacks or parties spokespeople in apparatics or government officials end up not just appearing on these networks but as hosts. So now they're supposed to have a much different role. But you know, you look at Jen Saki or Simone Sanders, there's plenty of them on Fox. They're exactly this same. I mean, I listened to Gen Saki. It sounds like she's giving White House, you know, press prefings, and of course Simone Sanders is there as a Democratic Party representative. And the idea that if you have somebody like this in your cauctus, it's fine to talk about it privately but not publicly is such except it's such contempt for the American people, you know, like we close ranks, we cover things up, and especially after watching what happened with Biden and how destroyed how you know, credibility that destroyed, destroying that was for Democrats and the election in the media, it's amazing they sell think that way.
Speaker 2: I know, it really is incredible, and it does speak to you a problem specifically of like, you know, I have no problem. I have a perspective. You have a perspective. I think we're pretty upfront about that. But if you've been paid to be, you know, an operative for a specific political party and you're still close with the people that are that's where you really start to have these you know, these issues, and you know you see it with the crossover with Fox News. You see it with the crossover with MSNBC in particular, and I think it comes out here. I mean the instinct to care, I get it on like a human level, but the instinct to think that like protecting the feelings of Joe Biden was more important than defeating Trump if that's your view, or you know, of advocating for issues that you're not going to be able to if there's not a Democrat in the White House, or just the interest of public, the public having transpad garancy around what's going on with the President of the United States, then I think you've got your your priorities pretty screwed up for someone who is holding themselves down as like a neutral journalist and analysts.
Speaker 3: At this point, I.
Speaker 2: Want to get to one last story here with with you Glenn before we let you go, because I think this is extraordinary, and you know, I'm just really interested what you think about it. So Claudie Schenbaum, who's the very popular president of Mexico, who Trump seems to for whatever reason, kind of like we could put her image up on the screen here. She recently confirmed that Trump had generously offered to deploy US troops in Mexico in order to combat the cartels. She said no, and told him Mexico's sovereignty is inviolable and it is not for sale. We will never accept a US military presence in our territory. This is something that Trump and this is part of Project twenty twenty five. A lot of Republicans have been talking about, Hey, we're going to designate the cartels as terrorists and then we're going to be able to use these powers that presidents have grabbed Post nine to eleven in order to basic wage war without having to get permission of Congress. Trump also yesterday evening confirmed that he had made this generous offer to Mexico. Let's go ahead and take a listen to that.
Speaker 8: Mexico is saying that I offered, you said, US troops into Mexico to.
Speaker 7: Take care of the cartels. He wants to know, isn't that true? Do you think I'm going to.
Speaker 8: Answer that question.
Speaker 7: I will answer it. It's true, absolutely, Youcani, they should be.
Speaker 8: They are horrible people that have been killing people left and right, that have been they made a fortunate selling drugs and destroying our people. We lost three hundred thousand people last year, two fitted all in drugs. The man knows, Yeah, that's true. If Mexico wanted help with the cartels, we would be honored to go in and do it. I told her that I would be honored to go in and do it. The cartels had tried to destroy our country. They're evil, and you know, we had three hundred thousand people died last year from.
Speaker 2: End and all in all, what do you make of all that? Glennon in particular, that connect to the War on Terror.
Speaker 7: Is an obvious replica of the War on Terror. Right that we've identify these groups, these kind of shady transnational groups not part of the government, but that are in certain countries, and then we just go in a way to war supposedly on those groups. That ends up being a war in that country. You know, and of course it would have all the same failures. Have been extremely well armed groups, like way more well armed than the Taliban, and we couldn't win after fighting the Taliban for twenty years. I think the broader issue here is this is a difference with Trump point two point zero, is that he's so high on his own victory, his stature in the world, that when he speaks, he really does speak as if he's kind of the leader of the world. Like he talks about, you know, he said, I want this, I want this, I want this, Panama, Greenland, ecent ter of Canada. But also when he talks about like getting the war in in Ukraine, he'll say, Boutin needs to change this. I don't like this, and then he'll turn around and tied the Ukrainians so that they're all competing for his approval. And this mentality is really alarming, Like we want to go do this in Mexico, they better say yes. And I think the requirement of absolute loyalty to Donald Trump inside the White House makes all of that so much worse because he just gets that reinforced every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right. I also think the Supreme Court immunity decision probably makes him feel more yolo as well. Certainly, the efforts that were made in the off season to strip away any of the factors of resistance that previously stood in his way. I mean, that was their learning from Trump one point zero was basically like, you know, we didn't go far enough, we didn't indulge Trump's instincts enough. And so the Republican movement, not just Trump, but the Republican movement really set out on an explicit project to make sure that would not be the case this time around. And so this bombing the cartel's policy flows directly out of that. And we could put this next piece up on the screen as well, which is also extremely troubling. So they are exploring labeling some suspected cartel and gang members inside the US as quote unquote enemy combatants. Me just read a little bit of this article. So they say this is a possible way to detain these individuals more easily and limit their ability to challenge their imprisonment. According to multiple people with knowledge, the enemy combatant designation could also be applied to suspected narco terras outside the US, The people said, as a way to potentially give the US justification to conduct lethal strikes against them. And so this reads to me, Glenn as basically the courts have struck down the invocation of the Alien Enemies Act. I do suspect when that ultimately gets to the Supreme Court, they are probably also going to say this was an improper invocation on the merits. But in addition, they've been blocked from continuing to use this in various jurisdictions. The Supreme Court has said, you have to to facilitate release, you have to give some form of reasonable notice and due process, even for the individuals who you want to be able to sweep up in this. So they're saying, okay, well, that pathway is maybe not really working out, so instead we'll use this enemy combatants designation to do a different and run around the Constitution and not provide any sort of due process. Expanding on some of the actions that were taken, you know, starting in the Bush administration and all this of course comes in the context of their analysis of who is a suspected alien enemy. Who is a suspected Cartelo gang member could be something as simple as like a tattoo or that you hail from a certain part of Venezuela or they suspect you do.
Speaker 7: You know this, Crystal is why I have been so nauseated and disgusted by that whole never Trump movement that came out of the Bush Cheney faction that did so much of the war on Terror is because so much of what they claim to dislike about Trump, beyond like the decorum and co departmental or ethical issues, is a replica of exactly what they did. This all sounds so familiar to me. I spent years and wrote books on all these issues, you know. I remember David Frump had to cover story in the Atlantic and it was something a huge picture of Trump and it said like, this is how authoritarianism is created. And I was like, is that like a playbook from your knowledge in the Trump in the Bush administration, because these are all the things that you did. A lot of this did get some restraint, but it is true. They're playing on a vulnerability in American in American politics, which you referenced earlier, that the Supreme Court becomes extra deferential to the president when he has claims of national security and war and we're waging you know, we're in a war. An enemy combatant is who we're killing, because it basically eliminates all constraints and it has all the same problems, all the same damages, all the threats to liberty that the War on Terror had, and if you add on top of that, like an actual military action with our southern neighbor in Mexico that they don't want, that would be one of the gravest violations of sovereignty in many years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. What would it take for you to forgive the number Trumper's Glenn? What would they need to do?
Speaker 7: You know, every religion, every ethical system teaches that a prerequisite to forgiveness is an admission of guilt and an apology for it. None of them have done that with respect to these issues. I'm not saying they didn't say, oh yeah, the Rack War was improperly executed, but with all the whole other Guantanamo torture, et cetera, unitary president, none that I know have acknowledged that or that they're that they caused a lot of the problems. Now, so I think forgiveness should be you know, kind of off limits.
Speaker 2: We need like a bush, then we needed like bushare our Truth and Reconciliation Commission for them to come clean admit their sins so we can move forward.
Speaker 7: We have to look forward, not backwards. So we never got that.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, next time, Next time, maybe, Glenn, anything else that you're taking a look at that you want people to be aware of today.
Speaker 7: No, I think you did a great job covering it as you probab. I mean, we're going to find some Glen issues and I think you did an excellent job of doing that. So no, I feel like we cover.
Speaker 1: The gambit all right.
Speaker 3: Glenn, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate it's always fun getting your perspective and just a pleasure, sir.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 7: You know I love the show, so I'm really happy to be here. Thanks for asking my pleasure.
Speaker 2: So we are very excited to be joined by Anthony Klan, who is an independent journalist. He's the editor of The Clackson Down in Australia to break down some pretty stunning election results there.
Speaker 3: Welcome Anthony.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 12: Great to be with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, so a lot of people are saying that a lot of echoes of what just happened in Australia with what previously happened in Canada sort of a come from behind in your case, really landslide victory for the incumbent party, the center left party, big disappointment from Conservatives who had previously seemed like they could surge and pull off a victory. Not only that the leader of the Conservative Party confusingly Liberal party in Australia. But in any case, Peter Dunton, just like Pierre Pauliev in Canada, actually lost his own seat. That's how bad the jobbing was. So just set up the dynamics here and give us a sort of top level view of what happened.
Speaker 12: Of course, so the election, the federal election. Australia's federal election was held on Saturday. The leading the government of the days the Labor Party, which is sort of center left. It's been in power for three years. The center right Party, much the same as Canada, was the opposition it came in It was, it had quite strong, it was quite strong in the polls. It was looking like it was quite a good contender and perhaps even going to win in around November December, about the time that Donald Trump came to power, and very similar to us we saw in Canada, which was also a center right opposition. The party sort of slumped in the polls over the early part of the year and particularly part of the campaign, the electoral campaign the opposition he did particularly poorly. But it was an absolute drubbing. It was blood on the streets. It's an electoral wipeout. So there's sort of questions at the moment in Australia regarding the future of this Conservative Party. Obviously it's still going to be there, but it's the number of seats has just been pretty much wiped out. So we saw obviously, we saw in Canada the Conservative Party there was unsuccessful and that the leader lost his seat, same as in Australia. It's actually been quite a bit worse than Canada. There was talk of the government, current government in Australia being forced into a minority government rather than a majority of government. But it's a majority government and by a long way by about twenty seats, so it's been quite quite the outcome.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead, guys.
Speaker 2: Input off one up on the screen its ad tear sheet of one of the articles your outlet wrote in advance of the election. You said coalition as the opposition party headed for disaster, worst result in eighty years.
Speaker 3: According to this Yugo Paul.
Speaker 2: Of course, US Americans love to think that everything is about us, but it does seem like Trump's policies and a backlash tos such did some reverberations in terms of this election, So help us understand how significant those dynamics were.
Speaker 12: For sure, So there's quite a few issues at play here. So it wasn't just this the Trump effects as they're as they're calling it, but it definitely had a substantial impact. And it's difficult to know exactly what caused people to vote on the day, but clearly, I think over the President Trump's first one hundred days since inauguration, you've seen international markets, stock markets royaled a lot of uncertainty, and in those situations, people have voted for the incumbency, voted for the existing government whoever concerns with that sort of instability. In the threats, it was also raised quite a lot regarding President Trump's threats against Canada regarding tariffs. But also you know, the sort of the talk around annexing and that sort of thing made a lot of Australians a bit nervous thinking, Look, you know, we're a very close partner with the US, as is Canada. You know this could be US, So I think that had quite a big impact. It's also noteworthy the opposition leader here, he was very keen towards the end of last year, sort of set up to this sort of maga side of things making America great again. He was sort of very quite happy to be associated with that as the winds were to his back and to Donald Trump's back. But then as things sort of started to fall apart a bit and the wheels sort of started to fall off in the US regarding some of the more extreme statements from the president, we've seen that our opposition party sort of trying to backpedal a bit and sort of said, oh, look, well no, we're different. But by then it was very much in train. One particular noteworthy point during the campaign was we had the opposition leader standing next to a senator from his party and he sent it and said, look i'm here.
Speaker 7: She said, i'm here.
Speaker 12: I want to make Australia great again. And that sort of caused quite an issue because it was you know, that's maga right there, and she immediately said, look, no, it's not me. The media is obsessed with Donald Trump, and within twenty four hours. There was a photo of her with a Make America Great Again cap holding a miniature Donald Trump that surfaced from a few months before. So that was an interesting.
Speaker 2: Point to the point of who's obsessed with her with that one? Well, it is interesting because you know, with Canada, obviously, like you were saying, the threats have been really over, you know, Canada and US huge trading partners, and especially the threats to invade annex Canada as the fifty first state. Really obviously Canadians were not thrilled about that, and anyone who seemed like they were even tangentially associated with Trump and his politics then sort of, you know, paid a price for that. You know. I was listening to some Australia voters talk about why they voted the way that they did, and certainly the roiling of the markets and the way that's affecting people's you know, uh, market accounts, et cetera. That was certainly a part of it, but it also just seemed like a general reaction against what was perceived to be an extreme direction from the US. I wonder if you could tease some of those things out as well. What were some of the things that Australians felt were coming from the US that were contrary to their values.
Speaker 12: Yeah, for sure. Look, I think so of this this conservative populism, and there was quite a it was going it was taking off quite well. There's quite a bit of it going on last year, but it's often it's difficult to tell. The polls were reflecting that the public wasn't as adverse to it as the actual electoral outcome states, but I think people were increasingly uneasy about this sort of this populism and this sort of extreme right wing, extreme right wing activity, as well as there's a lot of US style sort of disinformation groups, AstroTurf groups whatever you want to call them, that are sort of set up and pretend to be grassroots movements of ordinary Australians, when in fact they're sort of run by fossil fuels entities and sort of bad actors pretending to be someone there not. So we've seen a lot of that surfacing in Australia the past twelve months particularly, and I think people have become increasingly aware of that. And we obviously have much smaller market in Australia, so when you have this sort of activity happening it's easier when it is called out. It's easier for the broader public to see what's going on. Because we're much smaller, there's many fewer moving parts. So I think a lot of that's played a part as well. People have looked at some of the issues in Australia. We have very similar issues going on as on the East coast of the US there in particularly regarding offshore wind turbines. Now quite a few studies and experts have been looking into this area. We're finding a lot of disinformation groups are AstroTurf groups in the US that have sort of been pretending to be environmental groups but are actually fossil fueled back fighting against these offshore wind turbines, obviously because fossil fuels want to continue their business model. A lot of those same groups, same entities, and same methods are being used on the East coast of Australia. So I think a lot more people were sort of waking up to that and combining those two together, sort of recoiled somewhat and voted for the existing government.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things that we've been trying to wrap our heads around here is how much sort of a revocable damage. Trump is doing it. It's one thing the trade war. Okay, a new president can come in, they can change the policy, etc. But Mark Carney in his victory speech really spoke about a sense of real betray rail and a sense that even if the particular politician and the White House changes or the policy changes, that there's been a breach in the relationship that is going to cause Canada to go in another direction sort of regardless of what happens from here on out. And I was just wondering what the view is from Australia about the US and whether there's been sort of an aravocable change in the way that the US is viewed by Australians.
Speaker 7: I think it's much less.
Speaker 12: It's not as as hectically viewed as the Canadians have viewed it. Obviously, it's been a bit of a there's been a very different relationship between the way that the President has treated Canada and Australia, at least vocally so far. I think the Australian public and in the Australian authorities is sort of thinking, hang on, we need to reconsider a bit our position. We've sort of relied extremely heavily on the US as a security partner and partner and that sort of thing. I think the relationship will remain regardless. It's strong, it's you know, it's not going anywhere. But I think it's sort of made people think a little bit hang on, maybe we should stand on our own two feet a little bit more, which you know, to some degree that's obviously a good thing. And look, I don't think there's any sort of terminal, long term damage done there. It's just made people sort of wake up a little bit there.
Speaker 2: And what is what was the view of Anthony albany c prior to this election? What are people's sense of his governance?
Speaker 12: So he was swept to power, came to power last three years ago. We have three year terms, which is quite unusual on the international stage, but three year terms. He came to power. It had been nine years of the Conservative government in power before then. Now they'd sort of, as many many governments do, they've fallen into the trap of cronyism and then corruption in parts. And during that period, interestingly, Australia fell further towards corruption than any other OECD nation according to Transparency International. Over that nine year period, and that's with the exception of Hungary, with which Australia tired, So it's not very well known. But during that period we're obviously fairly high base. But we fell we fell down the list a substantial and a lot of that was due to Australia not having a National Integrity Commission, being a national body that oversees corruption or alleged corruption involving politicians. So the Albanezy government he came to power, he promised this brand new National Anti Corruption Commission that was going to set up and have transparent hearings and all the rest of it to hold government officials to account. Now, he brought one of these bodies in, but they sort of kneecapped it behind the scenes and made it have actions all in secret. Basically, well it's hearings in secret, so you don't know what it's doing. And it's been pretty much a major flop and it's been criticized from all sides. So I think a lot of people were very disappointed in that. He sort of made a lot of promises for his first term he didn't come through with. It was all about transparency and accountability, but as soon as he got in that all went out the window. But I think what's happened over the past six months, with what's happened in the US and the Trump factor, that people have thought, well, look, you know, we'll kind of forget about that for now. We've got bigger issues. We don't want this conservative government coming in. And it's basically a few issues with the Conservative government. They're sort of, as the public's pointed out, they behind in the Times, looking to rewind Australia a little bit. Rather than embracing renewable energy, of which we have plenty plenty of sun and wind, they were looking at actually introducing nuclear power in Australia for the first time, despite the fact that it was going to cost between two and five times as much for no real reason. It was just sort of an ideological issue. So people were sort of not particularly happy about that. But so it wasn't a good opposition for starters, but the Trump effect obviously played a pretty big role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I read what Duntin had said something about having a nuclear reactor in his writing that his opponent sees done and how long he had held that seat for what twenty four years something like that.
Speaker 12: That's right, yeah, more than two decades, and it had been on a small margin. He had by about one point four percent I believe, the seat of Dixon in Brisbane, which is halfway up the Australian coast. So there were a few questions as to whether he was going to hold that seat, but he's lost it quite convincingly, of about six percent swinging against him. Now, this issue with the nuclear reactors was something that's picked up We picked up on quite early on in the piece, and it was coming from a lot of the same actors, the fossil fuels groups. One of these in particular in Australia is called the Institute of Public Affairs. Now it's sort of a proxy almost for fossil fuels interests, and this is where Peter Dutton, the Opposition leader, launched his nuclear reactive policy about eighteen months ago. So he actually launched at this fossil fuels lobby group and you're looking at these things of the small modular nuclear reactors that he was spooking. They don't actually exist anywhere in the world in a commercial basis, and they were going to cost about six times more than normal electricity anyway. So it was pie in the sky sort of stuff, and it was seen by many experts as just the way of prolonging fossil fuels. So obviously they opened themselves up to this whole huge issue of nuclear power in Australia. And beyond the economics of it, you've got the issue of we haven't had nuclear power before. So a lot of people sort of a bit uneasy about the idea, and it brings up the whole spectrum of nuclear energy. And obviously he left himself open there and the question was, hey, look, you know, would you have a reactor in your in your backyard and your electorate? He said, of course. And obviously people in these electorates were so.
Speaker 2: Keen about that, they were not too excited about that idea. Last question for you, how did some of these independent movements like the Teals, how did they play into these election results?
Speaker 12: Yes, so Australia has much the same as the US, two major parties, not quite as not quite as tight in as the US, but we have two major parties. Last election, there's a group of independents that was that came about the look they'll call the community two hundred independents. Basically, fundraising model was set up to get independence into government because usually you've got all the same actors, the fossil fuels, the big banks, et cetera. They are funding the two major parties. So this is sort of a new model that came in and they were very successful and they called it the Teal Wave. Last time, around half a dozen and more independence came into power. This time around, those same independents are there. There's been a landslo to the ALP to the existing government which is center left. They have a majority of power, but the independence from last time, the Till Wave, is still there. Most of those people, if not all of them, are back in again, as well as a couple of other gains, and that's more of a long term strategy to get more independence into into government into Australian government, with the idea being there's less power to the original backers, the original donors of the two major parties.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Anthony so much for joining us and helping us to understand what's going on there. Tell people where they can find you and follow your work.
Speaker 12: Oh thank you. You can find us at the Clackson k l A XO N dot com dot au and we're an investigative news site covering all the other the stories that the other majors aren't.
Speaker 2: Thank you, fantastic, great to meet you, and thank you again for joining us.
Speaker 12: Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, that does it for today's global edition of Breaking Points. Thank you so much for joining us, and I just want to give a shout out to everybody who's been signing up as a Premium member. We've had a huge surge of support, think attributable to know stitment around the Friday Show and just all that's going on in the news and our efforts to cover it. So thank you so much for supporting us. It makes a huge, huge difference and we'll see you guys tomorrow