Speaker 1: Malik, Buds has all the knowledge you want. League Buds has all the knowledge you need. Buds Yet they have all the books that the whole wild world one up read Malik Books.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Bookshelf, bringing a world together with books, culture and community. HOI my name is Malik, your host of Malik's Bookshelf. Well, hey, I got a line up during this episode.
Speaker 3: I got a couple of authors that I was blessed to interview.
Speaker 2: You know how I do it.
Speaker 3: If they walk into Malik Books, I get excellent content all the time. So I got a couple of self published authors. They came to Malik one dead book signing. One was just visiting and dropping off a book. Because we're getting ready for the big event this Saturday, August fifth at Quenshaw High School between eleven and six pm where we give it away two thousand free books to the community. We're doing a gang of book signings. We got about ten authors. They're gonna be there and were given away their books. That's right, So you gotta come on our community listen. Also want to mention that this event is given away five thousand backpacks. These ain't just no winkiding backpacks. These backpacks, I know last year came from Adidas. So we're giving away five thousand backpacks at this event. This event is organized by It's Bigger than Us. This is a prolific foundation that has made a great impact in our community. Now, this is the fourth annual back to School festival put on by It's Bigger than Us. But hey, I'm hosting. Elite Books is hosting the book fair at this year's event. So that's why we're given out two thousand books to the community. And so hey, these are culturally relative and curated selection. Buy Maleague books and so you don't want to miss this. You go to Milage books dot com. You can register for this event because it's only five thousand backpacks, so it's limited and we want to definitely know who's showing up. So you got a RSVP for the event, the Lincols on my website League Books dot com. But community, you gotta come on out, you gotta come support, you got to give us, you know, the love. Hey, I'm just now coming from an event called.
Speaker 1: Rock the Block.
Speaker 3: That's right. We hosted the book mobile at this event, Rock the Block. It was a wonderful community event. It was a street festival, La Street Festival and it was put on by this organization on fifty fourth Street and it was a wonderful, wonderful event. I believe organization called Whitehall Arts Academy, Whitehall Arts Academy, it's a great organization. They it's all ab about making sure they continue to keep music alive, because hey, music does transform and change lives and a lot of the schools have taken out music. So this organization, Whitehall Arts Studio, continues to make sure our youth, our children, our community are served with resources that continue to help them who blessed to have that kind of gift that they can have people, teachers, instructions and guidance in order to be as successful in the arts of music and talent and dancing and singing and all that you know that comes with that. So the free festival was on fifty fourth between fourth and seventh Apps, and the community came out. We had the bookmobile, they had the politicians, they had the Health pavilion, the Metro pavilion, they had Kjlah, they had.
Speaker 1: Food trucks, they had the game.
Speaker 3: Bus, they had the Diva spot bus out there.
Speaker 1: They had a trailer that had teach you how to DJ. They had a.
Speaker 3: Children's pavilion, children's zone, and then of course the main stage with music entertainment and so for mini panels out there many a lot of discussions, but a Mali's Bookmobile was in the house doing what we do, which is what served our communities with culturally relevant African MRIA and diverse books.
Speaker 1: That's right read to achieve. You see what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, read to you because achievers are readers now. So hey, I hope you enjoyed the interviews that I was able to put together. Lewanda Stanton who wrote a book called Shaking the Bush, So I'm gonna feature that in the young lady who.
Speaker 1: Wrote a book, a children's book.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna try the title would lose me, but stay tuned for that interview.
Speaker 1: He because I'm basically it's this.
Speaker 3: Is not scripted. I go from the heart, I go from the soul. So I'm just going to bring you the episode so you can just here for yourself.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I love my audience on Malik's bookshelf. Bringing a world together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 4: We had a whole world because we got a little wander Stanton at Malik Books at Melis Book.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, And I just had to record you for my podcast, Malise Book Bringing the World Together.
Speaker 1: With Books, Culture and Community.
Speaker 4: So you have a new one out the Wanda Standing new books, Shaking good Bush.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get right into that. But she also had authored a book years and years ago.
Speaker 6: Called how to Kill Your Will, Racism and our own race.
Speaker 7: Good hair, bad hair, light skin, dark skin.
Speaker 8: Now we we deal with more economics and keeping us separating now and then with the hair and the power.
Speaker 4: Out absolutely and you know it's don bolical, it's systemic, and we have a major issue with a division because of our differences, something that we have to overcome.
Speaker 1: That's why your book is called Overcome your Willing how to kill your willingness.
Speaker 7: It gives you an antidote on how to kill your will.
Speaker 8: WI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to come together.
Speaker 4: And then my podcast is called Malice's Bookshelf bring the world Together with Books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: So books I believe can bring the world together.
Speaker 7: Yes, one book at a time, one book at a time.
Speaker 4: And so the one that this is your new book, this is my new book, Shaking the Bush, Shaking the Bush.
Speaker 1: Tell my audience all this. No one's more passionate.
Speaker 4: About books than the UT and no one is more passionate about selling books.
Speaker 1: Book yes, tell us.
Speaker 7: So the book Malik is about.
Speaker 8: It takes place in nineteen thirty and it's about this black woman named Willie who goes and work for the leader of the KKK. She doesn't know he's the leader of the KKK. They ended up calling in love. But the love had of course back in nineteen thirty with Jim Crow and Off and him being the leader of the KKK, they had the Really it was unforbidden love, but it was.
Speaker 7: It was not LUs, it was love.
Speaker 8: They when they saw each other, they were so drowned to each other. You know how every once in a while you can meet that one person and you're just like whoa.
Speaker 6: And that's how they both were cheap somates.
Speaker 8: They were so mads. But it's more than soul mates. And the reason the book is called Shaking the Bush. There's so many twisted turns in it that I can't tell because they're just like one of the guys who just purchased the book, he said, I know what Shaking the Bush means, and I.
Speaker 7: Said, well, tell me, not one person has been.
Speaker 1: Able to get Let me try to get shake in the bush.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me sad, but I am not ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see what it sounds very you know.
Speaker 7: But we're not going to tell. We don't want to give it away.
Speaker 1: No shaking the bush shaking. What I think.
Speaker 4: What I think shaking the bush mean is that that you are shaking up norms and issues in the society with this uh tapoo love between the k.
Speaker 7: Nobody has gotten me yet. You know what I will give somebody.
Speaker 8: Now, one person has, I said here and listen to him say, oh, this is what it means. No, I got it wrong until you read. Some people get it in the middle of the book. Other people get it.
Speaker 4: At the end of the what it means by shaking the bush, by shaking in the book.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's that's the thing.
Speaker 7: That's that's a teaser. That's what keeps it going.
Speaker 8: Everyone who reads this book right now, they said they cannot put it down. They end up my pastor's wife, older.
Speaker 1: Lady, Well, we just read a customer by your book. Go outside and read chapter three. He can't put it down.
Speaker 7: Yes, he said, you.
Speaker 8: Cannot, And all my male friends say, don't read it by yourself, and it is steal.
Speaker 1: Too, oh a lot of.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, lady, lady.
Speaker 7: I was talking to one guy and he said, is that vicariously through you? That book? And I said, you know, I said, I pleaded the fifth you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, well you know all books are close near and did to people's soul as they write, so people reveal a little bit about it.
Speaker 7: Maybe maybe maybe I did it to throw off too.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, hey that's possible too, because now I will fiction is fiction, yes, yeah, but typically the best fictionalized books are mixed.
Speaker 1: With a little truth. Yeah, the truth. Yeah, but we're.
Speaker 4: Going back the yeah, yeah, we're going back to nineteen thirty. You got a leader of the KKK and a fred fresh black woman.
Speaker 1: Falling in love with each other. And so now there's some twisting turns. It's a sec going on.
Speaker 7: If you see what each chapter has something read read all those.
Speaker 9: Okay, so that's what these little things okay, yes, okay, superiority, secrets, secrets, entitlement, entitlement, passion, pass deception, LUs.
Speaker 1: Lie, it lies, whole lot of.
Speaker 3: Line a whole lot of life, whole lot of a lot of whole lot of period.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's still going on.
Speaker 4: It is still going So basically, this book could also be actually present today. Yes, you know it might. This book might be about the nineteen nine, but really in twenty twenty three, the same thing is going on.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 8: One of my girlfriends who read the book, she's from New Orleans. She said it brought her back to her roots growing up in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: Read it sound like a book that need to be made into a movie.
Speaker 7: I've been getting so many calls lately.
Speaker 8: This week, I got so many calls from different agents who want to be my agent. They because they they yeah, just how well they said. They went on Amazon and saw that I'm in the top twelve.
Speaker 6: So I didn't you know before the category for fiction. Yes twelve, yes, kudos, Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: And it's only been out a month.
Speaker 1: And a half and you get to the top. Now you got because.
Speaker 8: What's the movie come out? You know, the price is going to go sky high and I and I am gonna.
Speaker 3: Go to.
Speaker 1: Rebranded and cover all of that.
Speaker 7: You know, how to worry out how the game works?
Speaker 1: That's a good thing.
Speaker 8: Yes, but I kept believe, and it's a blessing from God. I'm telling you now, I cannot believe because I just lost my husband. I started writing this book during COVID, and when when my husband got sick and cast away listen two years ago. He kept saying, you need to finish that book.
Speaker 7: I told him what I was writing about it. He said, oh my goodness, he said, this is going to be a movie.
Speaker 1: Wow. And everyone who.
Speaker 7: Knew about the book before I put it out, they said that idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes.
Speaker 7: And then the first thing he said, babe, that's going to be a movie.
Speaker 1: He said, you watch.
Speaker 7: And I've been getting people now calling me and you said, we can't.
Speaker 8: Believe your book is all even out a month and a half and you're number twelve on amazad wonderful number twelve. And then I got a call the other day said I'm in the top thirty three percent of sale with Amazon, with Amazon, with Amazon, Okay, yeah, this all the.
Speaker 1: Praise, okay, all praises being.
Speaker 7: So it must be something that people really want and everybody.
Speaker 1: Who everybody good reading? Everybody, Yeah, everybody.
Speaker 7: Like a.
Speaker 1: God. This God's shaking the what do you mean she ain't willing to tell me.
Speaker 4: I tried to guess because usually the title tell y'all, I didn't I didn't hit.
Speaker 1: The guard into the bullseye. But that's okay. I think I might have to put it on my list. You're gonna have to put on but hey, why you.
Speaker 7: Figure it out. You're gonna say, wow, I.
Speaker 1: Got it shaking the Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, all I can say is we're gonna be carrying the book he had Malig Books. Obviously she didn't told you. On Amazon, it's whold wherever books are sold.
Speaker 7: Books are sold.
Speaker 8: But we want, we want to represent, we want to keep it in the neighborhood you are and see you guys, please put us wrong.
Speaker 7: You know what my boys say, and these are young boys.
Speaker 8: They say, if you want to want to make sure that a black dother know about something, put it in.
Speaker 7: The But you know, hey, let's let's let's let's get rid of that myth.
Speaker 6: That's a Willie Lynch also, that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, I appreciate the interview.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm sure my.
Speaker 4: Audience on Malik's books bringing a word together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: Adrian Lombard at Monique.
Speaker 5: Books, Well you know how to do it. They come to Elite Books. I interviewed them on the spot organic Why because no one is more passionate about that book than the art, and no one is more passionate about selling books than Elite himself.
Speaker 1: So this is her book, Chelsea Chip for President.
Speaker 10: Yeah, tell us a little bit about your book.
Speaker 11: So she is a fourth grader running for a fifth grade class president with the help of her two best friends.
Speaker 10: Her name is Chelsea Chip, a play on chocolate Chip.
Speaker 11: In the back of the book, there are recipes on how to make each main character that are all named after cookies. But to get to the exact measurements, you have to answer the math problem. So there's math, vocabulary reading all in one. It's really a let's make learning fun no matter what the classroom looks like kind of concept behind it.
Speaker 1: Listen, that was an excellent elevator, great on the spot. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Well, I love you hitting all these different angles to make reading fun and enjoyable and learning all at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a sweet treat and a sweet treat.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I guess you get more than a book. Yeah, you get some information. She gets some knowledge, you get some education and a sweet treat right.
Speaker 4: After a Then what inspired you want to write this wonderful, beautiful book?
Speaker 11: Okay, so first I have a back from the education My grandfather's sister taught me how to read. My grandfather was very heavy, heavy into education because he wasn't able to go past high school, so he encouraged all his grandkids. He's from the louisianas himself, and he encouraged all his grandkids to strive for college and having a degree.
Speaker 10: So that was already instilled in me.
Speaker 11: Even in twenty twenty when I saw a generation of kids like hating school or not really into it, I was like, you can't have a generation.
Speaker 10: Of people who don't like school or who don't like learning and education. So I was like, how do I make it fun?
Speaker 11: How do I incorporate the things that I liked about school as a kid into a book, So that way, whether they were able to go back.
Speaker 10: To the classroom or became homeschool, they still had fun.
Speaker 1: And so Chelsea Chip was moor Chelsea Chip. This sounded like an amazing book.
Speaker 5: And what does the overall takeaway from you want kids to get from reading this?
Speaker 10: Wonderful book.
Speaker 5: I'm sure that most of the children you talk to, Yeah, some of them can read, some of them can't, but just hear you read it to them.
Speaker 7: And also the ones they can.
Speaker 1: What's the takeaway? What do you want them to walk away?
Speaker 10: When one still experience this.
Speaker 11: Money, teamwork, leadership, the power of friendship, working together to achieve a goal. And if someone tells you know, making that just the starting point at the end, like Okay, he doesn't know how to help me, I can go ask someone else.
Speaker 10: Just making sure that your dreams are worth fulfilling and singing through.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, because with our dreams.
Speaker 8: That's the fact.
Speaker 1: But we got to imagine that thing. We got to have creativity today. Absolutely, and so dreaming is part of our imagination. Dream big to be big. Hello, thank you, thank you, thank you. Now we got the book at Beleague Books now, so hey, come on through Mileague books dot com. We're gonna put it on the website. Also all right, so it's a wonderful book. Thank you for writing such a wonderful book.
Speaker 4: Walk with our voice minus absolutely Malik's bookshelf bringing the world together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Maleak's bookshelf where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community.
Speaker 1: Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my Instagram at Malak Books. See you next time.