Speaker 1: Welcome to Bill and Juliana the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, welcome to the Bill and Juliana Podcast.
Speaker 1: We are very lucky to have doctor Ruckham, who actually is our doctor. You're doctor my doctor. He gave us both our colonoscopies. He has over forty years of experience. He's done over forty thousand colonoscopies, if you can believe that at Northwestern well between Northwestern University of Chicago. That's huge. It's currently the head of the department at Northwestern Medical Center here in downtown Chicago. Yes, and he's a lovely man, great Chicago, and he's a big deal. Yeah, he's a big deal here.
Speaker 2: So literally, you guys, everyone in Chicago's like, oh, doctor Ruckham, Doctor Ruckham, Like he's like such a big deal. This is an important episode because doctor Ruckham did my colonoscopy as well as bills and that is actually the reason we are doing this podcast. We came up to his podcast ideas because I was googling all this stuff in the middle of the night about the colon off speaker is I could not finish the prep the liquid that gross liquid for the life of me. And let's get dirty.
Speaker 1: Let's get our hands, get our hands dirty. Welcome to the show, Doctor Ruckham, thank you for having me. I mean, as people know, you are just a pillar at Northwestern, which is one of the great institutions in Chicago. You've done Julianna's kolonoscopy, my colonoscopy, coming right out of the gate. Who's got a better colon?
Speaker 2: I knew you were going to ask that.
Speaker 1: I knew he was going to be a very competitive company.
Speaker 2: We are who does be honest?
Speaker 1: Always the woman? Yeah? Okay, smart answer. Speaking of bowels. As long as we're on the subject, we were talking about this. You know, how often should you make a ball movement? Is it twice a day, once a day, three times a day?
Speaker 3: Size?
Speaker 1: You know? Shape? Like we're with the internet now, you get so much information at your fingertips. You don't know what to believe.
Speaker 2: What do you really wander? How often?
Speaker 4: Believe it or not? The definition of normal is three times a day to three times a week. That's where ninety five percent of people will.
Speaker 1: Be with that.
Speaker 2: That's a huge range.
Speaker 1: That's a huge range.
Speaker 4: But it's important because you don't want to needlessly say, hey, I need to go every day. If you go every two or even every three days, and you're very comfortable and it's regular for you.
Speaker 1: That's your norm. That's fine.
Speaker 4: Interestingly enough, too, the consistency is irrelevant. So if someone said I have one watery bowel movement a day or I have lumpy stool every other day, and that's their normal. If they fit within three a day to three a week, it's normal.
Speaker 1: I had a fermented plumb once. I'm sorry what I was at a health food store and this guy Khalil on SUNLIGHTE so you got to try this fermented plumb and it was like a gusher. I mean, I no offense, but I was in the bathroom all day. I woke up in the middle of the night with abdominal pain like it was bad.
Speaker 4: The whole thing with fermentation. There's a lot of very good, healthy foods that when we eat them, they are not fully digested, and they as we get older and older, could be thirty five or forty, but you're older than you were when you were twenty. Things that you used to digest you may not digest as well. So let me give you a few examples. Beans, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, calliflower, spinach, kale, garlic, A lot of those foods. You eat them, they go in your stomach, they go through twenty feet a small intestine, much fee twenty feet where food is digested and absorbed. And then if it's not fully digested and it gets into your colon, the bacteria in the colon see this food and they can literally ferment it. And ferment it means they chew it up and they make gases.
Speaker 2: I have a question. It is a question that is a mystery to many. It is an incredibly embarrassing question for some. I'm going to ask you. I don't know if you have the answer to this. You might have to get back to us because you've probably never been asked this in your entire career. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I'm ready?
Speaker 2: But I think there are millions of people like myself affected by this, Okay, since I was younger. I'll walk into like a Barnes and Noble, okay, and all of a sudden, within five minutes, I don't know if it's the smell of the books, I don't know what I'm like, where's the bathroom? I have to like immediately make a bee line. And then I found I thought I was the only person in the world who had this weird thing happened. And then I've seen other people on social media talk about this phenomenon and some people it's a target. Some people it's like a TJ Max. You know, isn't that weird? And what do you think it is?
Speaker 4: So I don't think I can give you an answer. That's a vedical that's definitive, but if one was to speculate it.
Speaker 1: You know how your mind.
Speaker 4: Holds back impulses and when you feel relaxed, if you're busy, you're working, your your mind is doing other things. There may be just the natural suppression of needing to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Kids try.
Speaker 4: Not that you're even holding it in school, but a lot of times kids won't go to the bathroom in school. And it's not that they're I mean, some are holding it. They have accidents and that's an issue, but many of them just don't. Many people, you'll hear this all the time. During the work week, they don't go to the bathroom as much. Saturday and Sunday, when they're home, they go. So it probably has to do with just the relaxation that you're feeling and you're not in hip that you're in the store and you weren't running and doing errands and catching a cab ort and relax, and you're letting mother nature take over, which is what it should have done. Maybe a little while. That's just my guess. That's great, But I don't have a medical for sure. Either that, or I would tell some of my constipated people that go to by the.
Speaker 2: Way doctor feel free to take them mile. Yeah, if I haven't got to the bathroom in a while, I'm like, I should just go to the bookstore. I should probably just go grab something at home goods. So Doctor Ruckham, the literally the impetus for this podcast was my experience getting my colonoscopy. You don't know this yet, okay, but when I was doing the prep for my colonoscopy, I heard all these stories about the liquid. The liquid is the worst, The prep is the worst. The colonoscopy itself isn't bad, that's what everyone says. It's the prep that people get nervous about, as you probably know. And so when I was doing the prep, I got all my stuff, I went to the pharmacy, picked it up, and the first couple of SIPs, I was like this isn't bad? Why does everyone complain about this? As the day went on, it was still fine, fine, fine, and then kind of by the end of the day, I started getting a little like exhausted from drinking. It wasn't loving it anymore. And then I had to set my alarm in the middle of the I to wake up to finish the prep. And so in the middle of the night when I woke up, I kid you not, I literally I had like this much left, and I was like, I physically cannot take one more sip of this stuff. Okay, so much so, and you don't know this, but so much so that I thought I have to cancel my appointment, Like I'm gonna have to email his office or call the emergency line and be like, hey, I'm not coming in because I had an early morning appointment and I literally could not finish the prep. So I went online and I searched do I have to finish the prep before a colonoscopy? And there were a million different reports. Couldn't get a straight answer. And then finally it was actually on Reddit that I saw a line that said I am a colonoscopy nurse of twenty years and dot dot dot. So I clicked it, and she said, if you're healthy, it's your first colonoscopy, there's no nothing scary going on that you know of. Then yes, you could leave some of the liquid behind. You don't have to take it all. And so that gave me reassurance I could go back to bed. I came in the next day, and I don't know if you remember, but when I came out of the colonoscopy and you guys woke me up. You were there, Bill, Yeah, I think I asked you. I said, how was I in there? You know, I wanted to know, like, was.
Speaker 1: I yeah, well slensed down? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did I do my job? Because I was curious by not having that final bit? Was it still okay?
Speaker 4: That's a common question and people think about it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Part of the issue is not everyone scheduling a colonoscopy has a doctor's appointment where you'd have a chance to discuss things.
Speaker 1: Most of them.
Speaker 4: Yes, I turned forty five, I'm getting a procedure. Do I need to waste the time to go to the office and GI doctors don't require.
Speaker 1: That it's scheduled, you can do it.
Speaker 4: So you really never had the chance simplest answer is if when you're going to the bathroom it's coming out like clear water or like almost like urine, like just a yellow tinge pure water, then you're done. You're clean, so you don't have to drink anymore because you're as clean as you need to be the other part to it is there's different types of bowel preps. So some people get the whole jug, the four lid, which is more to drink, more potent because it'll flush you out. Some people get the shorter, the smaller two bottles, and when you do the shorter one, it's ideally you'd rather not take a short cut from the short cut got you know, So those people I would try to encourage to drink at all. But again, if they're clear or yellow and watery, you're done. God, so you don't have to finish.
Speaker 1: I had the four liter or whatever it was it was, who's quite powerful.
Speaker 2: And you finishers.
Speaker 1: I finished mine. And the good news is when I went in, you said, i'll see in ten years, So I had I had a clean bill.
Speaker 4: It's a clean bill, and what that means no poll ups, because that's what we're looking for when.
Speaker 1: We do this.
Speaker 4: Most pulps will never become cancer. Looking the other way, most cancers started as a poll up, So by removing them, you'll eliminate the chance. I mean, what's the odds of a healthy fifty year old having a poll up? It's probably in the thirty five to forty percent range, So that's not uncommon. At age forty five or fifty they have a polyp.
Speaker 2: I did have a poll up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but how many people? How many people will get colon cancer? It's about four percent. No test is one hundred percent. There's things that could be missed. There may be cancers that don't start as a pollup. Yeah, but in general we're reducing the risk of colon cancer by about eighty percent.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 4: You might find some say ninety percent, some say seven by doing ascopy, doing a plenoscopy.
Speaker 2: Now I have to ask you, so when you go do a colonospay, you go under correct like you're you're out, I mean, or twilight what is it called twilight? Twilight?
Speaker 4: So it's not general anesthesia. You're breathing on your own. You're in a sedated to be comfortable. That's the focus is comfort.
Speaker 2: Okay, And obviously that's what you know. Like I was like excited about that because of course, like the last thing I want to do is be awake during a kolonoscopy. Yet the person in my right, my husband opposite psycho, he what was your reaction when my husband said, I don't want to go under. I want to be awake for my colonos.
Speaker 1: I've never been under in my life. And I even did a shoulder surgery. Yeah, and I didn't go under, So you know, I will.
Speaker 4: Look, I've done this sounds like a crazy number, but I've done over forty thousand. Wow, okay, and I will probably do maybe ten twelve a year. Where people request no sedation, I try to discourage it. Why not just be relaxed and comfortable. You just don't know how you're gonna feel. Everyone's got their own nerves sensitivity. The part that makes a colonoscopy potentially uncomfortable is when you're pushing it in the stretch. That can occur and if there's a loop, If there's a loop and you wouldn't know it, your colon could have a loop, and we go in and we just twist with our wrists, unravel and straighten it. When we're coming out. There's no discomfort, it's just it's straight. But you just don't know how people react, and some do amazing. And you know, I say this objectively, no sexism and vowel. As a general rule of thumb, general men's colons tend to be a little straighter than women's. Women's tend to have a little more twists. As they get older and they've had some children, their pelvic floor may drop a little and there may be that twist.
Speaker 2: Is that why men go number two more often?
Speaker 4: And I hear that all the time from the wives? Why am I constipated in my husband goals every day?
Speaker 1: And as a rule.
Speaker 4: Of thumb, men tend to go a little more regularly than women. Still, there's no way that it can be not uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I won't do it. I will never. When I come back to you when I'm sixty out, I am going under. Yeah, so I've never been under my life. Still to this day, I've never been under. But I can't. I'm not what you fear.
Speaker 2: Bill hold on, let me ask you, because my fear when I go under, I've been under a lot. I'm not even scoliosis, breast cancer, IVF I've been under a lot, right, I've had a lot of propofol, a lot of all this stuff. My fear is like God forbid something happens, and like I don't wake up, right. I mean, that's I think most people's fear. What is that your fear?
Speaker 1: What is your fear? I spend a lot of time googling medical treatments and things like that, and in Europe, believe it or not, they don't go under for poscopies in many parts of Europe, right from what I was googling, And I'm like, because it's unnecessary, and I just I've never been under. I think it's also a lack of control. You know, I don't know what I'm going to say.
Speaker 4: That's the comment that I The two things that I hear the most when someone says they don't want to is they say, I have this fear of losing control, and I go like, like, what control are you looking for in the next thirty minutes? You know? And occasionally some people want to. They literally say I have a meeting to get to. I don't want to be sedated. I want to just get up and leave. And you know, we'll work with them. We'll always give them an ivy okay in case, in case their blood pressure got a little lower, we can give them fluids in case they throw in the white towel and say, you know that way we can put But you know if you hate when you do that, when someone mid stream says give me the medicine, because you say, why did I have to put you through this comfort before you said it?
Speaker 2: So if people ask for they don't want the propofol, they do the milder one. Do you do people still say crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: They people are always worried that they're going to say something to most people, they never they never do they never do.
Speaker 2: You know, people they just.
Speaker 4: Go to sleep and they're just relaxing, and you know, as the procedures going on, I'm constantly with the nurse in the room. We're going like Bill, you know, open your eyes and if you started like opening them, give them another milligram because we're trying to be two to three minutes ahead of when you may actually wake up a little more. Because it's tye traded to the person's need. There's no fixed dose that's going to work for everybody. We go a little at a time, another dose, another and then you're ready.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to But I always but I will tell you when when people ask me that and there's spouses in the room, I always go, you said, I love my husband.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting. Just a lot of people have so many questions.
Speaker 1: I have some questions written down from viewers.
Speaker 2: We literally have people who were so excited that you were coming on. Our best friends were very excited. We have a good friend in Chicago named David Wells, and we told him you were coming on and he said, do you know what I want to know? Because we asked our friends like what do you want to know? And he said, I would love to know if they all look the same.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you mean that's whole? He said, Like, are some he's looking a knucklehead? Yeah, there's a prettier colon than the other one. Any attractive? Like, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: Do they all look the same? I think is actually a very good question.
Speaker 4: Well, they look the same if they're healthy, but there might be subtle turns and twists and the diverticulum that you know, if some colons have so many it almost looks like Swiss cheese. And you got to be really careful you, meaning you've got to say which one's the real opening and which one's the diver if they're bigger.
Speaker 1: If they're bigger. A lot of people are are now taking GLP ones. It's causing a lot of problems with their ball movements, irregular ball movements, freezing right of the colon. What are you seeing now in the industry with so many people taking GLP ones.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, so glp ones in general work in two different ways. One in the brain they decrease your appetite. Two they slow your gut motility, so your stomach doesn't empty. So imagine how hungry you would be if you said you want a meal after you've had a meal, you'd say, no, I'm full. Their stomachs don't empty as well, and that's the other reason they don't want to eat as much. But it can also affect the colon. People do get sometimes diarrhea from it, but a little more commonly is constipation that your bowel doesn't move as well because it slows gut motility. So when someone's on a GLP one, we tell them to not take it for at least seven days, got it. The last dose should be seven days before the prep so that it's wearing off by the time you're taking the bowel prop and you clean out.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the story with hemorrhoids, Like, at what point should you worry go to a doctor about a hemorrhoid? You know, sometimes like you get a hemorrhoid once in a while and it kind of goes back in and then you know, like bye bye, you know it's gone. But then sometimes like it can be a little feisty, keeps coming, you know, keeps popping out and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Like, what could tell me about your issues right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, I can admit, I mean.
Speaker 4: We hamorrhids are a very it's a very common question. Yeah's a common thing that people come in to see a doctor about. Hemorrhids are just blood vessels. So the good news is that they don't turn into anything bad. You know, people often wonder, well, if I don't do anything, we'll turn It's just a blood vessel.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So now there's two types, and it's important to know the distinction. You know, how people use the term rectum and anus sometimes interchangeably, but medically, the rectum is the end of the colon. That's the end and the after the rectum is the anus, which is the muscle that you know, if you want to hold it, you can tighten it. So the anus has nerves to it. That's where external hemorrhoids are in the anus. So external hemorrhids can bleed and they can hurt. Internal hemorrhoids are in the rectum. They can bleed, but they don't hurt. Warm water though, you know, like when you go on a hot bath, you know, not no salts, you don't need any of that absence. That's old folklore. Just warm water. You know how your fingers can shrivel up like brooms. When you've been in the bathroom long enough that your fingers are shriveling, the hemorrhoids can shrink and that's what helps them. Hemorrhos can be caused by a lot of things. It could be just bad luck. It could be you have diarrhea and you're going frequently. It could be a long plate, I'm a runner, a biker on those narrow bikes, pregnancy when you're pushing. So a lot of things cause them, but most get treated easily.
Speaker 1: I had a hemorrhid once, this is a funny story, and I went into one of those float tanks. It's like filled with epsom salts right like, and you float in these deprivation tanks. It was so paint. I had to get out because I don't know if the hemorrhoy had popped. But that's salt in the wound. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't do That's why we don't even do salt anyway, It just warm water.
Speaker 1: It was awful.
Speaker 4: But occasionally someone is in acute misery, like they're writhing in pain, and that can sometimes be what we call a thrombost hemorrhoid, where they feel it and it feels like there's a walnut in there.
Speaker 1: It's hard and.
Speaker 4: You touch it, and if it's really usually they'll still get better. You'll get better if you if you can bear with it a few days. But if it's really miserable, that's where a surgeon will literally lance it and like pull out, just take it out, yeah, and it'll be instant relief.
Speaker 2: Got it. People are very proud of themselves when it's like a like a foot snake, right big long yeah, And then but is that better and healthier or the little like single ones and if they're floating versus sinking, like, what do we what should we be proud of when we look down in the I would really, I'm very proud of it.
Speaker 4: I would refocus that and say that that's an irrelevant goal.
Speaker 2: Oh really, so you can they can all be good.
Speaker 4: If you're evacuating, you're getting riddle waste, you're comfortable, it's your it's your norm.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't have to got it be you know, like.
Speaker 2: So don't be so obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like don't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. So whether they're individual, whether it's whatever, as long as it's solid.
Speaker 4: I would assume we'll show people charts even and we'll say, you know, is it watery, mushy like sauce or of ice cream? Yes, I mean we're talking what will we stay in an office? Is it a banana? Is it little nuggets?
Speaker 1: You know? Are you straining?
Speaker 4: And they all can be fine if you're comfortable. If you're saying I'm having hard stool and it's giving me cramps or when it goes through it hurts, yeah, some people a big bulky stool and cause not only a hemorrhy, but another thing called a fissure. Yes, which a fisher is a tear in the anus. So the anal muscle stretch, stretch, stretch, and if it's bulky and it keeps stretching, it tears. It's like a cut and it hurts and it can bleed. So the history can sound very much like a hemorrhide. It's just that when the doctor talks the person, you'll say, did you have a big, hard, bulky stool when it came through? Did you know it was big? Did you know it hurts was coming through? And they go yeah, and then I hurt and I saw blood. That's a classic fisher. The treatment is identical to hemorrhights. Warm bass, the creams most heal occasionally, they don't occasionally, And then there's other things we do for fishers. I mean, if they're really not getting better. You know how people get botox for wrinkles, Well, we can inject botox in a fissure. If some of the medical treatments don't work.
Speaker 2: Do you think some people just genetically are just genetically more able to have like great movements? Because I kid you not built tell them the truth I have. I'm very regular wonder like I really I cannot say a bad thing about my movements. I know that sounds weird, but I'm not kidding. No, Bill, don't we always talk about this.
Speaker 1: No, not always, thank you though. No.
Speaker 2: No Bill even says he's like, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Well, you you what's unbelievable is how quickly you're in and out of the basket.
Speaker 2: Like five seconds.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wait, you you just like in and out?
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. So okay, No, I would say.
Speaker 1: Better if you can do it.
Speaker 4: By the way, people that sit on a toilet and read a magazine or a paper that can predispose.
Speaker 1: To ham rights.
Speaker 2: There we go. See, I don't do anything.
Speaker 1: I gotta stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to stop scrolling on the toil.
Speaker 4: I read the consistency, you know, I mean I I mean I have people that you know, they joke, they'll go, you know, it was like secretariat.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you, I think it's hereditary, genetic because I have I am the most regular person two three times a day, solid in and out of there, not stressed, not not pushing nothing yet Yet my diet's not great, like I eat like like a twelve year old boy who just discovered candy and junk. I don't drink water, except for how much water d I drink a day? Half a cup?
Speaker 1: Nothing, so you would think so I wonder.
Speaker 2: No, this is a serious question. I didn't have this one prepared. Is it like maybe is it a family like? Is it my ancestors? Like? Is it something like we were from Italy? I don't know, Like I'm just trying to figure out.
Speaker 4: I'm not aware of anything that we could talk about genetically or heritage.
Speaker 2: Is that interesting though?
Speaker 4: Probably you have just good colonic motility that you know, how the you know, the colon in the stools in the middle, and then there's the lining and underneath it there are muscles that you know, push to propel the stool.
Speaker 1: With someone like you.
Speaker 4: From what you said, we just got good motility because stuff get it pushes and it gets out.
Speaker 1: Thank you for carving out the time to come in and see us here in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Thank you, doctor Rockham.
Speaker 1: This was so wonderful, What a pleasure. It's really been a joy,