Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth. All Right, my friend, I got a question for you. He it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I do decapitation like as in yeah, really yeah, decapitation.
Speaker 4: Of a boy? What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like when someone hits a fire hydrant in the fire hydrant like in their car, right, yeah, and they lose control and the fire hydrant flies through the air and it decapitates the boy.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? That ridiculous? We had a head wound.
Speaker 4: But you know what makes it super ridiculous is this?
Speaker 2: Is there a follow up to that hereditary heredity? I don't know. Isn't that the movie where the girl gets her head on the driving in the car? I don't speak anyah.
Speaker 3: No, what makes this ridiculous is that it's.
Speaker 4: The boy is Bob's big Boy?
Speaker 3: Not talking about a real human boy, of course, I'm talking about the statue.
Speaker 2: Yes, Bob's big giant figurine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so in Downey, California, I got this article.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: First of all, this was recommended to us by Kathleen mccauliffe on Instagram. Are you always just good looking?
Speaker 4: Out?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 3: KTLA the most unhinged television station in the world. Every time I have to go down to Los Angeles. Like, when I'm traveling, I find myself. If I'm staying in a hotel, I always watch morning news, which I don't mean to do here in Oakland, California, A But when I'm on the road, I like to do that and kind of get a sense of like what's happening, what's Oh my god, KTLA.
Speaker 2: Amazing crazy I all the time.
Speaker 4: So anyways, the best good day La, Oh god, it's wild.
Speaker 3: So KTLA has this story about how this happened. August twenty eighth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Special day.
Speaker 4: It's a very special day.
Speaker 3: So it's said a Bob statue outside of Bob's Big Boy in Downey lost his head after a violent crash early Wednesday. So this lady, she goes out of control. She hits a fire hydrant. It flips up, it like shears off most of the head.
Speaker 2: There's great for car just launched off the fire hydrant.
Speaker 4: No, no, she hits the fire hydrant.
Speaker 3: The fire hydrant flies through the air, yeah yeah, and then hits the Bob's Big Boys exactly yeah, and floods the street.
Speaker 4: The lady was.
Speaker 3: Trapped in the vehicle underneath going Yeah, for a very long time. They'd use the jaws of life to get her out, damn. And I don't know what her condition was. But there's actual living footage of this.
Speaker 2: Did anyone come up and steal the jaws of life?
Speaker 3: No, that happens in Oakland though, saw that the news. Right, that's also ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Someone stole Oh I love my hometown so much. They make it so hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone stole the jaws of life.
Speaker 4: And anyway, there's footage of the crack the.
Speaker 2: Person had been rescued. We should point that out. Yeah, set it down and then it turned around and you.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a doubles there you go. That is what else is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But I'm so glad you asked, because you know you you have a home, right, you in a house, you live indoors. I do imagine someone trying to steal your home, right, but doing it like without like a gun. Right, they do it just with paperwork, so not like not.
Speaker 4: Like a big flatbed truck.
Speaker 2: They didn't like lift it up like Russian style. No. So this person, by the way, the person who owns a home, not you, But I'm talking about the actual factual, the intended victim was famous. Someone tried to steal a famous person's home, but not only that, this person was one of the most famous persons to ever live.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is Ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh, Isabeth, Oh Saron. Today, I want to tell you about Graceland. You ever heard of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what is grace like?
Speaker 4: You know, it's Elvis Presley's house in God, what's in Memphis?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Where is it?
Speaker 2: A lot of people make this mistake. I was doing research, I was looking into it. I looked it up online and Graceland is actually it's the home of Elvis.
Speaker 4: Oh really.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know what I was thinking, And I understand Also you probably didn't know this as well. Graceland is actually the seventh solo album from Paul Simon.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's such a good run.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A lot of people get those confused and they're like, oh, I'm going to Graceland. I'm like, that's an album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how I know where it is it is a good ALB.
Speaker 2: So you've heard of it, you're familiar.
Speaker 4: I own it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean digitally.
Speaker 4: I think I used to have it on CD.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Does that make me like a boomer boomer?
Speaker 2: Light l t E light Yeah, like light. So anyway, what's up with Graceland? The album?
Speaker 4: The album?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: So good?
Speaker 2: Why did Paul Simon name his album after Elvis's house?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a really good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have an answer. The album came out with.
Speaker 3: His little commodification of culture totally South Africa.
Speaker 2: What is it? Right? The Appropriation of So album comes out August twenty fifth, nineteen eighty six. Right, it's famous for, as you point out, how it incorporated the South African music styles of em but Coonga and is said Katha Mia. I believe or may maybe pronouncing those it wrong. But Paul Simon he hears this music Smith Lady Smith's Black Mombasa is the band. So those are two genres of South African music. Yeah, and then Lady Smith's Black Mambaso is the very famous band that is predominantly the band. He picks a bunch of different South African musicians among them anyway. He's like he hears them, right, He's like, he's like, oh, I want to play with them, but apartheid's on, right, so he's like, oh, this isn't easy to pull off. So this is what this means is South Africa denied travel to black musicians, right, They could not leave the country, so that often meant people couldn't go to the country.
Speaker 3: Also, Paul Simon's like, I ain't going to play some city exactly.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I wish that was the case. But instead Warner Brothers exactly like, hey, Paul, babe, we work with a bunch of South African artists. Rather than just getting you one band, Let's hire a bunch of musicians and it's cheaper. We'll get them over come over here or you go over there. He's like, I'll go to South Africa. So he goes to South Africa, does a bunch of research, listen to a bunch of bands, writes down a bunch of lyrics, ends up only using one line from all the lyrics he writes while he's there. I'll get that later. Yeah, But the result is the Graceland album. Right. So the story is that Paul Simon makes the album because you know he was he was going through it as an artist. He'd had a bad album, his previous album had kind of bonked, and then he'd also recently broken up with Kerry Fisher. Now don't ask me how a folk singer like Paul Simon was able to pull Princess Leah, but I guess carry Fisher like smart, sensitive, funny, he writes egotistical men, yes exactly, and professionally, you know, as I said, And he was coming off a failed album. So maybe she liked him because he was like in like a phase of like I need to get back on it. Yeah exactly. Who knows, but there he is at this point. He's broken up with her, he's split up with Art Garfunkel. He's ego brews from his career. Then he hears this tape of South African music and he listened to it. He starts thinking about Elvis Presley, Okay, and his own son where and also where he was in his life, and then decides, I'm gonna write some songs about this, and he hires him as they told you South African musicians. Then he brings in other bands not from South Africa, like Los Lobos Mexican band, totally big fans, Linda Ronstadt another one also the Everly Brothers. Who knows why? Right, and then he releases this. What's the reaction it was?
Speaker 4: It was a big hit right.
Speaker 2: Well, for one, I remember I said apartheid was still going on, right, So this is at the time when the United Nations led a cultural boycott against the Nation of South Africa. So what that means for Paul Simon is people were big mad at him for working with South Africans. Paul Simon was like, they're black, the black ones, the ones who were being oppressed. How was this a bad thing? Yeah? So people are like, okay, well, maybe we'll forgive them. And then some of the people came along to like, hey, Paul Simon, you're appropriating the music of those South African musicians, which you kind of mentioned before. Paul Simon's like, duh, folk singer, what I do songs? I'm just not limiting who those people are. And he was like, people like, oh, he's got us. And so then the album Gracelind comes out becomes a huge success. Ye you remember that one? Okay, yeah, this is back when MTV played music videos. Do you remember that music video.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with Chevy Chase.
Speaker 2: Yes, and totally Now the videos just the two of them sitting there. They got two chairs, a drum stand next to Chevy Chase. He does the whole thing. He tries to put the glass on it and there's nothing there. It goes right through, right. Chevy's mouthing the words hammating up like we're talking peach peak Chevy Chase.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now this is also I think before everyone knew, he was like a kind of you know, like only Hollywood people knew it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they it wasn't publicly known. How absolutely horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you remember the video right, how charming he was. Oh yeah, he's just sitting there and he's like all big.
Speaker 4: But they like in linen suits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, yeah, like matching kind of like jeans and linen suit jackets. Do you remember? Also, did you know he was in a band Chevy Chase. No, yeah, Like I think the band is called Leather Canary.
Speaker 4: Wait are you making this up?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: You sound like me.
Speaker 2: Called clear Leather. Yeah, no leather. I think it's Leather Canary.
Speaker 4: And his uh he won't like I gross you out.
Speaker 2: Never forgetting that one he he had his other partners in this progressive rock band that he was in. They he left. He's like, I'm gonna go off and do comedy. Good for him. He goes SNL. The other two they quit, and you know, they leave the band that he's quit and they start their own band. That band becomes Steely. Dan chevy Chase was in the O G Steely, so chevy Chase anyway. Paul Simon writing songs for this album, Braceland album, right. It wasn't easy for Paul Simon, right, especially the title song, Braceland Guess song. It took him to write the forty years four months, but not quite that long. Boy in the Bubble another one took a long time.
Speaker 4: Oh that's such a good song, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is not based on the nineteen seventy six John Travolta TV movie Boy in the Plastic Bubble, which I had to look up anyway, So I just want to clear that up for you, Elizabeth. I know how your mind goes. So now you take that song, the Boy in the Bubble, do you know? It features a line that was inspired by the assassination of JFK and the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan one line.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think, but right now I've just got the line. She makes a sign of a tea spoon, she makes a sign of a wave. Yeah, I can't get that out of my head right now.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. I got some lyrics. So this one is the way the camera follows him in slow mo, the way he smiled at us all. So that one hits it from Boy in the Bubble, right. It was a mix of as Paul Simon said, and I quote hope and dread. That's right. That's the way I see the world, a balance between the two, but coming down on the side of hope. That's my world food too, Elizabeth, you know that. I mean Paul Simon, who knew Paul Simon and I had the same worldview. Anyway, Now, I remember remember how I said earlier, but Paul Simon was married to Carrie Fisher aka Princess Leah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also remember how you said something about someone steal in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm getting there, don't worry. She makes an appearance on the album Graceland. Yeah, okay, on the title song Graceland Really Yeah, this line goes she comes back to me to tell me she's gone, as if I didn't know that, as if I didn't know my bed, as if i'd ever noticed the way she'd brushed her hair from her fore head right. So, I guess Carrie Fisher used to brush her hair at the foot of the.
Speaker 4: Best the only person in the world who.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean she was. I guess it's really common for anyway, whatever, who knows. So at this point we got apartheid South Africa, Princess Leah, Ronald Reagan, the assassination of JFK, and Chevy Chase. This album is so eighties.
Speaker 4: This is so eighties, heavy eighties Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I forgot to tell you why Paul Simon called the album Graceland. I didn't have an answer. I lied, I do have an answer. So while he recorded the album, he used to write random words like he liked phrases that sounded good, and he hopes some connecting theme for the album would emerge from his like yo legal pad phrases, shout out yo legal pads right now, the phrase Elizabeth was driving through wasteland, that's the phrase he loved, and so over the course of the recording the album, he changes that to going to Graceland and boom for real. That was the magic phrase, just like that History's main album. I'm like, you know, we've been talking about the lyrics, so you've had some in your head, the ones I Love from Graceland. My traveling companion is nine years old. He is the child of my first marriage. But I've reason to believe we both will be received in Graceland, Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee. I'm going to Graceland, Graceland.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's beautiful, right, because you have if you take it out of context of Elvis, you know, just the whole notion of grace first of fall. Linguistically it sounds total, but the concept is beautiful, the whole land of grace that can be bestowed upon you and you can bestow upon you.
Speaker 2: Take your child there. Yeah, it's beautiful, and you can guarantee he will be received there too. I mean yeah. So also, I said, he direct quoted Carrie Fisher earlier, I kind of mentioned I forgot to tell you she's got the best line in his song. Right. So the section goes the way she brushed her hair from her forehead and she said, losing love is like a window in your heart. Everybody sees you're blown apart. Everybody sees the wind blow. I'm going to Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: See this is why you're like, Okay, I can see why Carrie.
Speaker 4: Fishers this guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's beautify see why he loves carry Fisher.
Speaker 3: Well, sure, of course questions quoting him, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: But it's like she's a badass, word all around bad ass.
Speaker 4: Oh god, she's a great she was a great writ.
Speaker 2: Writers, amazing writing, right r I p Kerry Fisher.
Speaker 3: You know, I just to be so moved by words, it's like such a gift, you know.
Speaker 2: It recommends the sensitivity.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I brought all this up to say, Elizabeth today, just like my man Paul Simon, we're going down to Graceland, Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee. Have you ever been? I never have.
Speaker 4: I've never been to the parking lot of Graceland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, you went to the parking lot? What were you guys? Were you guys barred from going in?
Speaker 4: It's a long kind of it's a long story.
Speaker 2: Were you wearing punk rockettire? Like you can't come in?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Were you like, like what happened is.
Speaker 4: Talk about it?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm gonna ask you this later. But okay, I haven't been either inside. I been to the parking lot. I'd like to go, mostly because you know, I want to see the people who go to Graceland.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently it's still like a million visitors go there every Yeah, that's like three thousand that is a day, basically. People are they still love hitting up Graceland. Yeah, it's one of the five most visited homes in the US, second only to the White the White House.
Speaker 4: Imagine, I want to the other give me the three four and five.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the Vanderbilt House, you know, yeah, right, and San Simeon I figet that's got to be up there, and Falling Rock, you know, oh, the Franklin right, Yeah, like I figured some Lloyd Wright house has got to be up there. These are just guesses. I didn't check out house from Friday, of course. Yeah, house for Friday.
Speaker 4: Come on, the full house houses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't really visit the houses. You just at them.
Speaker 4: You just stare up there.
Speaker 2: The painted ladies ladies. Okay, So Graceland brings in one hundred and fifty to one hundred and seventy five million dollars a year to the greater Memphis area. It was the first thing to really bring attention to Memphis apparently. Anyway, do you know what it looks like? I'm just talking about it? Did you know? All White Southern mansion? The truth?
Speaker 3: I was driving across country and I had my I was moving, I had my dogs in the car, and it like didn't dawn on me till I got in the parking lot. I can't leave these dogs in the car. Wo check this place out. And then I was like, had this moment where I just like rethought things.
Speaker 4: I'm like, do I really.
Speaker 2: Do I even care about going to.
Speaker 3: Give a toss about it? Like not really, It's just sort of something that you're suppo to.
Speaker 4: I've been there. I'm going to Graceland Graceland.
Speaker 2: To see No.
Speaker 4: So I just peeled out.
Speaker 2: Dogs, let the glass dogs, let's roll. Yeah. So at this point, Elizabeth, I'll just tell you a little bit about it, since you haven't seen it, Nora have Yeah, the place. It was built after the Civil War. So, and it was also not built to replace some plantation mansion that General Sherman burned down on his way to Savannah and the Sea. Grace Land was built in nineteen thirty nine. Yeah. Original owners were Ruth Brown Moore and Thomas D. Moore. They named the mansion after her aunt Grace, the woman who'd owned the land. Thus Grace.
Speaker 4: Oh really.
Speaker 2: Elvis bought the mansion in nineteen fifty seven. You see, Elvis was in the family at this point. He had a young wife, Priscilla, Yeah, and a young daughter, Lisa Marie, and together they made Graceland into the landmark that it is. Yeah, today you don't have like gardens and arts and stuff. We'll get into it. You can find it located at three seven sixty three Elvis Presley Boulevard in Memphis, Tennessee. Bring your family.
Speaker 4: I like Memphis.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've enjoyed it Deel Street. Yeah, Elizabeth, now that we've kind of sorted out Graceland from Graceland and we got to know the lay of the land, take a little break for something warm, delicious, ads, and I'll tell you about the ridiculous crimes that went down to Graceland.
Speaker 6: Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee, and we're back.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth. Hey, buddy, now I promised you a trip down to Graceland.
Speaker 4: You certainly did.
Speaker 2: With or without Paul Simon. Okay, we're going without. Okay. Now, I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised we have yet to recover Elvis Presley on Ridiculous Crime.
Speaker 4: I'm well, oh yeah, I was gonna say up until now and.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, no, I mean I feel like he's got all sorts of like a satellite system of crimes around him.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, dude, the Memphis Mafia boys who basically are always like getting his drugs, his women buying Cadillacs for him. They're just like a floating ring of crime. Anyway, Uh, the dude, as they pointed out, ridiculous criminal. My pop loves Elvis. Do you know this?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: He named his dog Elvis, like he loves him a black hound dogs. I named him Elvis's interesting. So I know me some. Elvis is what I'm trying to tell you. My black nationalist father. So I watched his movies, listen to his albums, the rock ones, the rock and roll albums, and the gospel albums. I know him both. Oh yeah, and I've watched Elvis's comeback Special in Vegas multiple times.
Speaker 4: When he has like the jumpsuit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And he's also like on the stage that's singing to the girls.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was born in the South, right, so you know, Elvis has long been a presence in my life much since I was been born. Elvis has been the King, Yeah, whether I liked it or not. Now, growing up out here in the West, far from Graceland's advertising and the legend of the King, what do you know about Elvis as a cultural presence, influence, movie star, og rock star, and all around cultural force.
Speaker 3: I never really got into Elvis, I mean way before my time.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but like growing up as a figure.
Speaker 3: It wasn't he wasn't Like no one in my family listened to Elvis and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no one in college wanted to go watch like one of his old movies on a lark.
Speaker 4: No, though, there's probably like some rockabilly folks.
Speaker 2: Who it's kind of guessing, but you gotta have to age into rockabilly, I think totally did you start punking age into rock?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Know, it's just sort of like I'm aware of Elvis, you know, just in terms of the history of rock and roll and speaking of cultural.
Speaker 4: And say hound dog. Yeah, but no, I just I've always kind of thought.
Speaker 2: He was a little corny, really corny. Yeah, it's not the word I'd used for it, but I totally can see that from you guys would have that. I imagine, not like a looking down on the South, but he's very much that South. Like he is corny as you would say. Yeah, I mean he's not like corny, you know, like how there's a lot more this is beneath Elvis. There's plenty of corn.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of merchandise around Elvis.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they just the whole thing about the malls. I'll tell you all about it in a second. Do you know about the time that Elvis showed up that Nixon's White House is zooted out of his mind on Doctor feel Good's Finest Wonder Pills.
Speaker 4: I feel like I have a vague notion of it.
Speaker 2: And Elvis he goes there because he wants to meet the president, and he goes there because he wants to become an official federal agent at large.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he wanted to like be a dea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a rock and roll g man. Basically, the story goes a few days. It's a few days before Christmas, December twenty first, nineteen seventy, Elvis Presley, he goes to the White House for a noontime meeting with President Richard Nixon. Now at this point, you got to keep this in mind. These are two of the most powerful and famous men in the world, and neither has like anything tarnishing them. At this point, Nixon is elected with a mandate to calm down the widening divisions in the violence in the US falling sixty eight. Elvis is coming off his comeback special also sixty eight. So now he's doing a comeback tour, selling out concerts everywhere. They're both cresting, is what I'm trying to say. Yeah, so both men beloved Americans nineteen seventy. Now this lead for the normy. So let's just say right now, things are never what the normies believe them to be. Because when Elvis shows up at the White House for a noon exactly, he's armed with a cult forty five pistol.
Speaker 4: He's warning brought a gun into the White House, totally wearing.
Speaker 2: A full on purple velvet jumpsuit but decked with enormous gold belt that looks like he's just won the Intercontinental Championship of the WWE.
Speaker 4: Elizabeth Velvet jumpsuit.
Speaker 2: He walks into the Elvis and he hands President Nixon a personal letter that explains his visit. And it's written in like child script, like child handwriting. Oh my god, Yes, he's thirty five years old at point. Elvis is thirty five years old right now, he said, and I quote in the letter, I've done an in depth study of drug use and communist brainwashing techniques, and I'm right in the middle of the whole thing where I can and we'll do the most good.
Speaker 4: He is right in the middle.
Speaker 2: He's got the control.
Speaker 4: Now, mister, like you know, pharmacy rolls up.
Speaker 2: Exactly I got. I want to get the I want to keep the kids off of the drugs I need. So Elvis shows up asking if he can get a real de A badge, but the DEA didn't exist at this time. Is called the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. So Elvis he wants to be named an official federal Agent at Large for the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drum. Yeah, So why did Elvis want to be official drug cops so bad? Did he want early access to the drugs. Did you want to be able to confiscate drugs, like.
Speaker 4: Give me those drugs, like I'll just bust like the big drug dens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then just take their bugis boys, Elvis came through and seized my drugs, flashed the badge.
Speaker 4: Drug velvet jumps Did he.
Speaker 2: Want to get out of jail free card? Is that where he could say, oh, these drugs that I have it for research? Like say he gets popped, right, wink wink, you go on, officer one of you guys.
Speaker 4: You we went commando in the jumps in the velvet.
Speaker 2: You're stuck jumpsuit. Yeah, I'm thinking he probably wore underwear with his name on it.
Speaker 4: It had to be so sweaty.
Speaker 2: Oh it's open, so it's open chest. Remember these are like open chests like he's got Yeah, like it it's a jumpsuits. It's not like skin tight. I don't want I want you to think it more like how James brownl No.
Speaker 3: No, it's kind of think of its velvet.
Speaker 2: Think of it like a Sanza belt suit, you know, like the seventies, So like it's all one connected. Yeah, and then the v's out from like the belly button. And goes up to the lapels, so you kind of got an open chest area to ventilate. I got and then also to show off your like plumage or whatever you want or like probably a big medallion most like.
Speaker 4: It makes sense. Yeah, all right, can they get you one of those jumpsuits?
Speaker 2: I have an Elvis jumpsuit that I ordered online that I wear around the house. No, it's two pieces. I need to get one. I need to get one piece. That the only thing I could find online.
Speaker 4: The butt flap like a union. Anyway, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: The reason why Elvis wanted his badge is he really liked badges.
Speaker 4: Stinking badges.
Speaker 2: I need those stinking badges. It's Accordion's ex wife, Priscilla Presley. She wrote a memoir about their life together called Fittingly Elvis and Me, and she said in it, I quote, the nark badge represented some kind of ultimate power to him. So there was another part, though, the part I suspected Elvis wanted to get out of jail free card right. So, as Priscilla Presley also put in her memoir and I quote, once again, with the federal narcotics badge, he believed he could legally enter any country, both wearing guns and carry any drugs.
Speaker 3: He wished, Well, you know I have a badge.
Speaker 2: I know you do. You got a special investigator badge.
Speaker 4: It's like a real badge. Yeah, investigator.
Speaker 3: Someday I'm gonna whip it out at like a crime scene and be like, all right, tell me everything.
Speaker 2: I can't believe. It'll carry around you, on you all the time, just floating.
Speaker 4: I'll get arrested.
Speaker 2: As long as you don't say I'm a cop. Okay, yeah, you're fine.
Speaker 4: People like what what's happening here?
Speaker 2: Just don't say I'm a copper, I'm an officer of law, or I'm with the police, any of that you're asking. Just start asking questions like your Columbo just come in, Yeah, yeah those listen.
Speaker 4: Do you this?
Speaker 2: This is what worked for me. I can't pull it would work. So at this point we got Elvis. He comes into Nixon, right, he goes to Nixon. He's in his office. He's in the Oval office in his purple jumpsuit with his forty five pistol, and he says, can the King get a badge or what? Now? We've already covered Watergate, and so do you remember how he said, Nixon was recording everything in his oval office. Well, this happened to be just before the tape system was secretly installed all the things from Nixon's hitehouse. We do not have transcripts of Elvis and Nixon meeting. All we have is one aid wrote down a memo and records all the events. So I'm going to read quotes from the memo, right, please, the Elvis. According to this aid, Elvis was bragging about his powers to affect and persuade the youth of America. He wanted President Nixon, who he didn't think understood who he really was, Yeah, to understand his powers. Right. Yeah, he may be president, but I'm Elvis. Yeah, exactly, And I quote Presley responded that he did his thing just boss singing. He said that he could not get to the kids if he made a speech on the stage, that he had to reach them in his own way. The President nodded in agreement. Now we also know Elvis bad mouth the Beatles to Nixon. I think it's to getting Nixon's good side. I don't know. Apparently, he said he thought the Beatles had been a real force for anti American spirit. He said that the Beatles came to this country, made their money, and then returned to England, where they promoted an anti American theme. The President nodded in agreement and expressed some surprise whatever, yeah, all right, But I like, how if you read this moment makes it sounds like Elvis is in there just flying high, grinding his jaw sideways, and Nixon's the reasonable one, just nodding along with well, of course, Elvis, of course el el of a sudden, he's trapped in a men's room with a cooke head, and it was like, oh, Elvis, you know anyway, Nixon he lays out his plan for criminalizing drugs and associating them with the student protesters, the urban youth, the black kids who were also protesting, for like basically all the kids of color are protesting, and he's like, oh, if I get all of them tarnished with drugs, we could come in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He's telling this the Elvis before he's become national policy. He's like, what do you think, Elvis? Now, Elvis is going a my limit at this point, right, So he sticks to his old anti American screed, the aid documented in the memo, and I quote again Pressley indicated to the President in a very emotional manner that he was on your side. Presley kept repeating that he wanted to be helpful, and he added that he was quote just a poor boy from Tennessee who had gotten a lot from this country, which in some ways he wanted to repay. So other than doing drugs legally with his special badge and carrying guns through airports, how did Elvis want to repay the country? Elizabeth?
Speaker 4: Very good question.
Speaker 2: It's a great question. I'm asked that totally.
Speaker 4: It was like on the tip of my tongue for the lot, like for days.
Speaker 2: I saw it there like ring, like it's.
Speaker 4: Going to getting in the way of a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, Elvis told Nixon he was particularly skilled at spotting a commie. Yeah, the memo says, and I quote Elvis quote also mentioned that he is studying communist brainwashing in the drug culture for over ten years, and he brags how the hippie kids love him. He said he could go right into like with young people or hippies and he'd be accepted, which he felt could be helpful to him in his drug drive. The President indicated again his concern that Presley retained his credibility. No, Elvis, Come on, Elvis is so high talking that the President of the United States at noon a couple of days before Christmas, and Nixon's like, I don't want you to lose your cool with the kids. Elvis, Yeah, exactly. So when Elvis then surprises Nixon, he puts his arm around him, kind of half hugging him.
Speaker 4: The sweats sweat stain.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine? He flashes at ten thousand Vegas, comeback mego, Watts smile right. Photographer snaps a photo. That photo, Elizabeth is the most requested photograph ever from the entire US archive. Really, yes, and Elvis did indeed get his badge to be a federal agent at large. However, the badge was not official, It was purely honorary, but Elvis was convinced it was real, so he acted as if he was now state sponsored rock and roll karate master and freelance federal drug agent. By the way, there's a movie of the infamous meeting between Michael between Elvis and Nixon. It stars Michael Shannon as Elvis, which if you can stomach the Kevin Spacey as Nixon, then it's worth the price of admission alone. It's kind of like a scales there on that one. Anyway, he plays Michael Shannon's amazing. He plays Elvis as this feral rock star with like a kid's mind and a man's gun collection. It's really wild, right. So anyway, this brings us to the crimes Elvis committed at Graceland. You'd wait as long enough, Elizabeth, Yes, if you didn't know it. The parties at Graceland are somewhat legends. I can imagine, right, the stories told. They made a series of memoirs from anyone who seemed to be there at the time. There are so many books about Elvis from people who are like I was there, I was a secretary, I was a neighbor, I was a barber. I used to give them drugs, you know, like whoever did anything. But his main circle was called the Memphis Mafia. This was primarily a group of cousins, like Elvis's cousins and friends that he grew up with that surrounded the king. These are the ones who would go out and they would buy like ten cadillacts because Elvis wanted a new car. They would go out and get drugs from the Memphis scene, go get girls, from the club. One of them is like a radio DJ, so they're all like able to work their different angles.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also at this point he also has his wife Priscilla because he gets married young so or relatively young. And they're also all the women who are around him, all the secretary. So all these people are writing books, right, So according to all of them, the party start in fifty seven when he buys Graceland and George Klein he's the radio DJ. He wrote a memoir in twenty ten called Elvis My best Man. I guess he was the best man at his wedding. Is my guest? I guess that's probably the cover photo book. Look into it. I didn't care anyway. It's George Clin radio DJ. So he has the angles on the girls, right, So he was responsible for bringing them to Graceland. And as he writes, Elvis and his boys may have liked to be surrounded by beautiful girls, but boys being boys, they often played with each other. What I mean by that is Elvis may have liked pills. He did, but he didn't like to smoke, pod or get drunk. They didn't keep any booze in the house for the most part. There was no beer, no wine, no liquor. I yeah, no pot, no booze, no liquor. So George Klein put it, quote, there were nights where the oldest thing that happened was having Elvis lead us through a game of Name that Tune, wild parties Elizabeth. Now, these guys weren't choir boys, though, they were still the entourage of a very famous man, so they would act out accordingly. And that also meant they would bring folks to Graceland. And then they had to lay down the rules of like how to act around Elvis. So the DJ amateur matchmaker, George Klein, he said, and I quote, I told them to keep things positive. I'd seen people try to act cool around Elvis by having a negative, critical attitude. He never responded well to that. Also, you would tell him, don't assume you can. You can't say anything nice to him because you think he's probably heard it before. He didn't want to hear anything phony. But he was only human and was always enjoying hearing compliments. So there you go a bunch of fawning like Siica fans, hanging around, not drunk, not doing anything, playing Name that Tune and going girls, are you having a fun time? So Graceland, right, the gates of the mansion, they had this very famous iconic guitar themed iron gates like music notes, and yeah, exactly music notes. So, according to one of the Memphis Mafia, this dude, Marty Lacker, one day Elvis decided he'd do some redecorating. Right, So the year's nineteen sixty two at this point, still very young man. Elvis hired his cousin. Because he's hired all of his cousins. They all live in the area from Tupelo, Mississippi, so he's like, yeah, come on up to Memphis. So he's hired one of his cousins to work the gate as a security guard on the night shift. So it's a warm summer night Elvis in the Memphis Mafia. They went to town to watch a movie. They come back to Graceland around three four in the morning. Must have been a long movie. So the cousin isn't there, right, he isn't manning the gate. At this point, Elvis has yet to switch to Cadillacs. He's now driving a sixty three Buick Riviera. Okay, beautiful convertible car. Behind the wheel Elvis gets impatient, so he lays on the horn right, And I forgot to tell you it wasn't just Elvis and the Memphis Mafia in his convertible Buick Riviera. I don't want you to picture the wrong thing. There were some other people with them. There was a train of fifteen cars behind Elvis's car, a convoy, all waiting to get into Graceland. He brought back fifteen car. Yeah, they went out to a movie back with fifteen cars. Elvis gonna starts to get irritated because he's showing off for these fifteen cars and nobody's opening up grace exactly. So what's he do? He backs that Buick Riviera up with the boys in the Memphis Mafia. And apparently there's a highway that used to runs right there in front of the gate, or like a big Southern high So yeah, so he runs, he backs up and then floors it. Elvis floors it. Oh you better believe it. Has lacquer recalled it. Quote Elvis tore the hell out of those gates. He also damages up the hell out of that Buick Rivierra. And I quote because as the gates swung open, hit the curb. They flew back and slapped the sides of the buick. Hearing all this commotion, the cousin wakes up, comes running down, and Elvis yells at him, from now on, those gates better open when I get there. So new, Now we got vehicular mayhem. Right, that's just one thing. Boys being boys. I told you, right. What about Elvis in all those guns? Elizabeth? Yeah, he like the Thankfully these guys don't drink so anyway, that's true. But they are boys. They had guns, so they said, let's do some shooting practice. Now. Becky Yancey, she was a secretary. He used to answer Elvis Presley's fan mail. She did that job for thirteen years, starting in March of sixty two, lasting until July seventy five. He dies in seventy seven.
Speaker 4: This stuff she must have read.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. She also wrote a book, so if you want to read about it, Elizabeth, really, but my goodness, my life with my life with Elvis, with Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: My life, that's your book.
Speaker 2: That's my book. Yes, so we found this. I guess this is another surefire way to become an author. You do a crime, go to prison, come out a writer. Yeah, or the friend, assumeer super famous person and then tell all their dirt and slicious gossip. Well, whatever it is, you.
Speaker 4: Have be a snitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyways, she, as you put it, saw it all. Now, what was all, Elizabeth?
Speaker 3: I am terrified, like just a bunch of guys running around, all alluded to the gills.
Speaker 4: Exactly, firing guns in their underpants.
Speaker 2: So one day it works, She and another secretary they hear this quote a series of short, sharp explosions. Now the two women they leap for the floor, They hide under their desk. Then the walls around them start to deteriorate. Women suspect his gunfire. They're from the South, They're like, oh, these are bullet holes.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, as she put it, quote, ragged chips, some as large as dollar bills, other the size of needles, and equally sharp showered the room like so much wooden confetti. What was the deal, Elizabeth?
Speaker 4: What was the deal?
Speaker 2: Elizabeth? Elvis and the Memphis Mafia had pulled out their three fifty seven magnum and were shooting it at the old Well House, which happened to be right connected to where the secretary's office was.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they could have killed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had. The boys had slapped up a target that she had the shape of a man, and they were dotting the man with holes and they were not apparently the best shots.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the adjoining secretary's office just starts getting peppered with bullets. If they had been in the bathroom at the time, mm hmm. Elvis's game fun with gun ranges, it would have probably ventilated either woman, right, Oh, no, one of them. Her husband. She he came to Graceland to pick her up, right, he said, If you were paul Lette had been hit by one of those bullets, your head would have exploded like watermelons. Those guys had to be crazy to be doing that with two women in there.
Speaker 4: Did you go and yell at Elvis about it?
Speaker 2: Then? Didn't do that? I didn't even see that in the story. Now, Elvis and his boys did not stop this because in New Year's Eve, Elvis fired so many bullets at that same wellhouse that the damn thing caught fire the house.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Just before midnight in New Year's Eve, Elvis sent one of the Memphis Mafia into the main house to get the big guns. Right as Becky the Secretary's puts it. They're Baars Browning automatic rifles. They're in the next big thing, the machine guns. So right at the stroke of midnight, elvis fire is the first shot with the Browning, and then all the others in Memphis Mafia they follow suit and they all unload on this well house together. Becky watches the gunfire from the safety of a window view as she tells Elizabeth, Elvis, his body bucking and jerking as he held the bar under one arm, fired twenty five or thirty rounds into the Whitehouse in less than a minute. Chunks of the clay targets flew in every direction, and the White House started to burn. Stop don't burn the office down. I need my job now. At this point, Elvis's father, Vernon runs out of the house because he lives there, and he tries to put out the fire with his that his full grown son is lit with his buddies. He doesn't bring any water with him, so what does he do? He also doesn't turn on the hose. Nope, what do you do? He takes off his jacket and starts slapping at the flames with his jacket. It's like a truck driver's idea. I don't know his son, Elvis yells at him. Oh, hell, daddy, let it burn. It's only money. Oh my goodness, So the well house that was just the price to pay for Elvis and his boys have some semi sober fun on Near's eve. Elizabeth, Okay, now that we've covered a little semi yeah, the mostly legal fund that Elvis had. Agree, let's take a little break, crack open some fresh ads. When we get back, I'll tell you about Elvis shooting TVs and uh oh yeah, someone trying to steal Graceland.
Speaker 7: Oh Elizabeth, Hey, buddy, you ready for some more Elvis and Graceland.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, Paul Simon. Sorry, anyway, we've been talking Elvis, Graceland. They have the best for last. Yes.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard stories that Elvis kept a wall of TVs in Graceland, that sometimes he'd watch them at once, and then if he didn't like somebody, he'd shoot out the TV. It's a very famous story, right. Is this story true? Is it fact? Is it fiction? Is it part of the legend.
Speaker 4: I say it's true.
Speaker 2: I looked into it. I have answers for you, and Elizabeth. I'd like you to close your up my eyes, and I'd like you to picture it. Elizabeth. It's a warm spring night. The date is May twenty fifth, nineteen sixty five, and at the moment, you're seated on a white leather couch, sipping on a sweet tea as you watch at the time large screen twenty five inch TV. It's not your choice, but you're watching the heavyweight boxing championship rematch between Muhammad Ali and Sonny Listen, and you're not alone. There are a few friends and hangers on with you. They like you are the guests of the King. And by the king, of course, I mean Elvis Presley. That's right, Elizabeth. You're watching one of the most famous fights in boxing history, and you're watching it with Elvis at Graceland. You are living a peak moment of the twentieth century. As the hangers on giggle and laugh and the boys from the Memphis Mafia laugh and get not drunk. You notice Priscilla Presley, Elvis's wife, come into the room with their young daughter, Lisa Marie, the five year old. The heavyweight fight has yet to start. At the moment, the actor singer Robert Goulai is singing The Star Spangled banner and it's not going well watching it. Elvis speaks up and says, you got a lovely voice, but there's no feeling there. It's like vocally, you can sing an opera and you have to have feelings in your voice like you're talking. You're not along. Elvis makes good points. The Memphis Mafia Boys offers him Hallelujahs to the King, seconding his opinion. You sort of humble along in your head as you listen to Robert Gulay croon the tune of the National anthem. Then he gets to the words by the Don's Early Light, and you hear him sing by the Downs early night night that doesn't even make sense, By the Dons Early Night. You see Elvis grumble to himself too. You seem to both agree he's just as annoyed by the mistake and lyrics as you are. Then Robert Gulay does it again. Instead of singing Gave Proof through the Night, Gulay sings gave Proof through the Fight. You roll your eyes at that one. Elvis grumbles. Now he's pissed off and he isn't letting it go. You see a flash of metal. Elvis whips out a three point fifty seven magnum handgun, and he shouts at the TV, you learn the words of our national anthem usob and he squeezes the trigger. The gun dark explames, A bullet screams through the air, and he shatters the TV. A couple of young women seated with the Memphis Mafia boy scream startled by the gunfire. You saw it coming, so you're not as terrified. But you notice Priscilla and Lisa Marie are entirely non played. They have seen this plenty of times. It's like it's a remote control for him. Elvis says to his Memphis Mafia boys, take it to the graveyard. One of the boys dutifully hops up unplugs the TV. A second guy brings in a fresh twenty five inch TV and plugs it in. He changes the channel and finds the muhammadad Li Sonny Liston fight. Thankfully, Robert hu Leigh is gone. The boxers are being introduced silently. You make a little wish that muhammadad Lee and Sonny Liston don't do anything to piss off Elvis. And then you hear little Lisa Marie ask her daddy why he shot out the TV and Elvis says in a soft voice to his daughter, I didn't want to stand up and turn it off. Oh my god, there you go, Elizabeth. That was the most famous thing, since he did this multiple times, but this is my favorite and the most famous. He did this in hotels. He got into Vegas, he stayed on Yeah, I stayed in a hotel and he'd shoot TVs. He did this like this happens a bunch. It was like it literally was like, I don't have a remote control, so I've got a gun replace it. So anyway, and all those these are all direct quotes. I pulled that from multiple stories of people who were there, and those are all there a recollection. So wow, that story of Elvis shooting out the TV because of Robert Gulay flubbing the national anthem was a very famous story at the time. It had to annoy Gulay, right because this guy is also a star. Now decades later, in two thousand and four, he was still having the answer to it. A local Memphis newspaper. He was in town at the time the commercial appeal. They had the local newspaper. They asked Gulay about Elvis shooting his TV rather than listen to Gulay sing asked the man to his face. Yeah, and Gulay defends, of course he's a good name. But I love how he throws Frank Sinatra under the bus to clear himself. Wait what Yes, according to Gulay, and I quote when he shot the television set, he also shot fifty other people. He told me that he had about one hundred sets in the basement and he'd shoot the damn thing out. You know, he was on pills and he didn't know quite what he was doing, and he'd bang, and then he'd look at each other and say, get another set. They mentioned me all the time. I don't know why the point is. I know he was not done self, so therefore it wasn't anything to do with me. He shot out miltur May, he shot out Frank Sinatra, but I get all the credit. So the story is apparently, when Milt Turmae was on one time, he shot it. When Frank Sinatra was on one time, he shot it. But everyone knows Gulet he shot it because he don't like Gulet. Right.
Speaker 4: The best Robert Gulay is will Ferris Robert.
Speaker 2: Robert check it on. Now, when you have someone who's dispensing firearms inside the house. It often means you'll need to do some home repair time, right, which certainly did.
Speaker 4: They'll like plasters, spackle.
Speaker 2: House spinders would hate him. Bill, you got to show up on Monday again after long weekend standing.
Speaker 3: Order at the local hardware store where they just drop off crates of this stuff to patch up the water.
Speaker 2: Sackle, plaster, pain. Here's some prime. We do it again, boy. So uh at this point, let's see, as I told you elvious, he bought Graceland fifty seven. Well, he immediately set to put his stamp on his new home. Elvis, at the time, a very young man, said, I will probably have a black bedroom, sweet trimmed in white leather with a white rug alost knew what he liked. So his last decorator, she wrote a book because she was his decorator, such as like Elvis and me and holding a spackle. I don't know, because of course she did all right, and so in her case it was an autobiography though, so we'll give her some slack. Who woman's name is Linda Thompson. She worked with Elvis until nineteen seventy four. So as Linda Thompson recalled, Elvis would tell her his plans.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, you know, I want I want a jungle room. She's like, Elvis, what do you mean a jungle room. He's like, you know that basement room I have. I want it to open out to the outside, but I want the outside to be on the inside. And they're like, we take this screened in porch, right, and then just enclose it, make it. Make it a jungle room. They're quite You're like, yeah, lots of plants, right. She's like, Elvis, are you serious? He said, and I quote, Honey, I want this to look like you're in the jungle. And we're gonna put green carpet up the wall. I want green carpet to climb the wall like moss is climbing the wall.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm live Tiger.
Speaker 2: I knew you would love that wall carpet. I mean, thick, rich, green shag carpet gone.
Speaker 4: Halfway up the wall.
Speaker 3: All these tropical plants and it's the South mustiness in that carpet jungle room.
Speaker 2: Also, by the way, they went to one of your favorite spots, peer One Import. They bought up some chairs, not just any chairs, these chairs had fake fur on them. They were fake fur chairs chairs. They went fog while and peer one import. It's all wicker, odd furniture.
Speaker 4: So much wicker, so many campbells.
Speaker 2: Now, what colors do you think he decorated his bedroom black and white, red and black with touches of gold. Oh, the dining room living and what colors are those?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Blue, red and black with touches, with huge, oversized high backed chairs like you were just dining with bales above. Elvis was a bit of a goth in case you didn't know that now, as the decorator Linda Thompson remembered, quote, everything was exaggerated over the top. It looked like a bordello. It truly did. It wouldn't have been my taste, but it was totally all this. Now, Elizabeth, I'd like you to imagine what the pool room looked like, where Elvis and the Memphis Mafia would hang out table or yeah, pool table and they'd shoot pool and not drink.
Speaker 4: I think it was red black with touches of gold.
Speaker 2: No, it had a tent like feel, got the circus tent like, Yeah, you had like fabric going up to a point.
Speaker 4: Oh and I'm sure that was awesome.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And then there was the TV room that had all the wall of TVs so that way one could watch CBS, NBC, and ABC all at the same time. Because remember there's only like so many five channels. You got that PBS and a uh chef channel. So yeah, so if unless you wanted to watch my mother the car, he was probably watching NBC. Now in this TV room, Elvis also had design touches like quote, lightning bolts zinging through the clouds on the back wall. Elvis apparently also quote wanted mirrors on the ceiling to make the room appear higher and more open, and she also bought him ceramic monkeys to just place around wherever he thought ceramic monkey should go.
Speaker 3: Mirrors on the ceilings, ceramic monkeys, clouds with lightning bolts coming out of them on the.
Speaker 2: Back carpet on the walls.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So sadly much of this design work was time in the living rooms and the dining room. They were repainted white like his mother preferred them, because his mother and father lived with him when he first got the house. Then they tried to slow this down, and then when they like passed away, and he's like, all right, red and black walls, sorry, daddy. Now the jungle room boat, though, has remained unchanged. So when we go to Graceland.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should have recorded the first.
Speaker 2: Thing going to Jungle Room, just as Elvis intended it. Now, Elvias says, you probably may know, don't know, I don't know. Died on August sixteenth, nineteen seventy seven. Yeah, Elvis is no longer with us. Elizabeth, he was, however old somebody would be when they died nineteen seventy seven. I don't know what he was. I could pro he's in his forties.
Speaker 4: He was between fifteen eighty six.
Speaker 2: I think he's in his early forties. I don't I don't quite know.
Speaker 4: He was more than five and less than one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's like in his early twenties. Stories, so yeah, he's in his mid forties. So anyway, quite famously, he died on the toilet. Five years later, Graceland opened to the public as a museum. Why would they do that because the house now belonged to Priscilla, and she was the heir when Elvis passed. Yeah, and she was also the daughter Lisa Marie and so when Elvis died, he left them with a half million dollar a year bill for the taxes and the maintenance of the home. They're like, I'm not getting it on stage, and so I'm not Elvis. I don't have a comeback special. So they opened the doors of the public. They said, come on in, look at it. Give me five dollars. So visitors they go crazy and they go there. They told you by the millions, right, and then didn't they start adding attractions they had like they had lost things over the years. So like apparently some of the had family jets. I don't know what that means, jets. They had their own jets, like the Elvis Presley family owned a jet. They didn't say it was Elvis's jets, like a family jet, because there was one. Elvis's personal jet was called the Lisa Marie, named after his daughter. And then there was his other plane, the hound Dog two, right, which I have to assume as a play on Air Force one, Like I was like, well, nick'son era right. So according to the official Graceland website, the next major development was the purchase of an existing nearby hotel property, renovating it and renaming it Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel. Oh god, yeah, Heartbreak Hotel. Thought you liked that one because you have to have a heartbreak hotel. But then the Elvis fans were forced to find a new place to go when the Heartbreak Hotel shut its doors in twenty sixteen. So now, at first, after Elvis passed his father, who's in charge of Graceland Vernon?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Then it was Priscilla, And then when Lisa Marie turned twenty five, she inherits Graceland. And then after Lisa Marie passes away in twenty twenty three, the Presley family home now gets left to her daughter, Riley Keo, who's now the current owner of Graceland. And almost as soon as that poor girl in harted grace Land, along came a scammer to try to steal it away from her. Oh no, yeah, the story goes. The court document gets filed on behalf of Nausony Investments. The company claims that they are holding a loan dating back to twenty eighteen. The loan is the amount of three point eight million dollars. They say the loan is from Lisa Marie Presley, her mother. Now when fifty four year old Lisa Marie Presley passed away in January of twenty twenty three. Hard document claim she left behind the sizeable debt right, specifically the three point eight million dollars. Yeah, and since Lisa Marie had failed to pay the loan, the plaintiff claimed in their court documents that Lisa Marie had put up Graceland as collateral the whole thing. Yeah, So now the plaintiff wants to legally claim what's rightfully theirs, namely Graceland. So they file paperwork, the court honors it and starts to process like the transfer of Graceland the new owner, Elvis's granddaughter, Riley Cooe. Here's about this because it gets like updates and then has to go into court to fight these claims. Yeah, the foreclosure is granted at first, as I said, right, they start foreclosing.
Speaker 4: Out, you're gonna auction it on the courthouse stead.
Speaker 2: They're gonna sell Graceland, do whatever, right Keo's lawyers, they argue in a Tennessee court, this is Elvis's granddaughter. That loan paperwork was fraudulent. Her mother, Lisa Marie, never signed this paperwork. Oh, this is clearly not her signature. Here's what her signature looks like. Here's another example. Does that look like it? The judge's like, oh, you make good points. So the mother's signature was designated to be faked, clearly forged. So what happened now, well, they stopped the foreclosure of Graceland obviously, right yeah. So then the court investigates Keo's claims, you know, and they go, okay, let's let's look into this. And at this point the scams averted. The ring leader emerges, they get discovered and it's this guy from behind Nauseny Investments, right. So his name is Gregory Nauseny and Elizabeth. He was a Nigerian scammer.
Speaker 4: Oh no way, Oh that's so good.
Speaker 2: He sent emails bragging boasting about how he and his gang of fellow Nigerian scammers almost pulled off the impossible stealing Graceland, which is some paperwork. As Gregoradion Nauseny boasted in his email, we sit back and laugh at you idiots and watch you make fools of yourself. Come find us in Nigeria. So that was a tall order, right, good luck with that, and even more impossible than stealing Graceland with just some paperwork. By the way, Yeah, his email had all these like grammatical errors one would expect from a Nigerian scammer. But turns out, Elizabeth, that was on purpose, because you see, the Nigerian scammer, Gregory Naseny was also a fraud.
Speaker 4: Wait, what a fake?
Speaker 2: A mask for an American gammer to wear, and because just like how you leapt to believe it was a Nigerian scammer, everybody else you told me, I know, that's what, that's all. That's all anybody ever does they go, hey, this guy he told me this thing, or that guy lives there. It's called lying, Elizabeth, What you then choose to believe the lie based on the gulbibility of you or the culpability of my life sounding real and like what weight it can carry? Anyway, The emails, the court documents, they all get traced back to a woman named Lisa Janine Finley. Was she some secret Elvis daughter trying to finiss her way into the inheritance? No, nope, nope, nope. She was just a great I know, guys, it should be should be definitely skeptical of this one. She was a grade eight uncut American scammer. Elizabeth homegrown fifty three year old fraudster was a woman with six aliases known as Carolyn Williams, Kisa Holden, Lisa Janine soulland Gregory Nawsony and Kurt Nawseny. She was not from Nigeria, she was from Missouri. Her rap sheet was impressive, Elizabeth. She was no criminal spring chicken this one. She had busts for fraud, forged checks, scams going back decades decades. Frederic grand Jury easily persuaded to bring charges against her. They're like, just where do we sign I got? I wanted my parking validated?
Speaker 4: Now this was to be her magnum opens.
Speaker 2: Totally, really was she got real close if the lawyers have been a little slower, or if the news headlines hadn't bust broken because people notice the court documents and the news is really what broke out anyway. Former roommates testified about how old Lisa Jeanine had bragged them about her plans to foreclose on Graceland and steal it with just a stroke of a pen and a judge's gavel.
Speaker 4: And then Lisa Janine is actually of cover for someone up.
Speaker 2: No, she was. Really she's the one because she was arrested charged with aggravated identity theft and mail fraud. Ooh, mail fraud.
Speaker 4: That's a tough one to every.
Speaker 2: Mail fraud telling it's a banker, because you'll get twenty years for each charge. Each single incident is a charge. So family, she's convicted, and if she gets convicted, she's right now in federal corre. The conviction rate is about ninety eight percent. Get invested anyway. The expected sentence is a maximum of twenty years. All her an attempt to steal, Well, that's what that's what What are you in here for? I tried to steal Elvis's house? Seriously, what are you in here for? I tried to steal Graceland White two copies of the album. How many copies of the album do you try to No? I tried to steal Graceland anyway, it was already take away here, Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: I don't steal Graceland, right.
Speaker 2: That's if you do only steal the album, it's much easier to get away with and the punishment is much less.
Speaker 3: You hear about people stealing homes and where they kind of get was get someone to sign over like McCart.
Speaker 2: I told you a story of the guys stealing home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but this that's that's but.
Speaker 2: They were yeah, they were abandon not abandon but you know under like those they are vacated homes, right, nobody living in the home.
Speaker 4: Do it like out from under like an elder.
Speaker 2: Families completely, But you're not going to do it through like you know Elvis's granddaughter and his legal team. Yeah oh wow yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Uh that's your ridiculous takeaway.
Speaker 2: The fact I was able to scam you so quickly with a Nigerian woo, that's my ridiculous a right, good for you in the move for talk about just to clear the palate, get some of that feeling. Yes, oh god, Hello.
Speaker 8: Elizabeth and Zaren. This is Vanessa in Texas. And you know what's ridiculous the idea that nobody has yet made the animated version of Mob Barker Gang Adventures as envisioned by young Zaren, with characters such as Joe Beagle, Al the Bone, Braby's Face, Nelson Machine, and Jay Edgar Rover. Is somebody out there who can make it? As listening, please.
Speaker 3: Make this happen.
Speaker 4: It is genius. I love that this is so good.
Speaker 2: I also gotta say I missed a talk that was uh. They had the talkback where the guy did specifically for me and I wasn't here, and I said, I wanted to say that was dope. I listened on the road. I was like, y'all killing it. So yeah, I've always thank you for listening, and we will catch you next crime. And until then, you can find us online at Ridiculous Crime on social media's and the website ridiculous Crime dot coms. And we love your talkbacks obviously, so please go to the iHeart app downloaded, leave a talkback and maybe we'll hear your voice here, or you can go old school. You can email us if you like a Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com and please write dear producer d all right, thanks again for listening. We'll catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton Fans and I'm produced and edited by Elvis Presley's plant guy Dave Kustin and starring Anaalice Rutger as Judith. Research is by Elvis impersonators to the Stars MRSA Brown and Andrea Song Sharpened to You. Our theme song is by Thomas Elves, the Mexican Elvis Lee, and Travis I don't really like Elvis Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by Body five hundred, Guest Harry, makeup by Sparkle Shot and mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben Robert Goulay was Innocent Bowlin and Noel So was Meltourmet Brown.
Speaker 4: Crime Say It One More Time, Geek.
Speaker 1: Cry Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.