Speaker 1: It is the Get Loud podcast. Was anybody set geek? That's the man Fred Smoot. I'm Michael Jenkins.
Speaker 2: Who where do we start?
Speaker 1: Ah, we was going with these cartmail about that took them down.
Speaker 2: A win is a win in the NFL. Will take it.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people want to hear about Sam Howe, and I want to hear you take your take, because look, at the end of the day, this guy is still learning.
Speaker 2: And we're breaking down.
Speaker 3: He's a new boy.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna mix it a little Coco along the line. Co Co mix every day better the US Open. And I can't believe this. I had no I knowing a lot about you. I did not know you were such a great bowl I am a.
Speaker 3: Great bowler going to the PBA. I go by the name Big Ern.
Speaker 2: It's Big Ern.
Speaker 1: Also, we'll look ahead to the Broncos and talk about all the celebs at FedEx Freeware Star Study.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, ridiculous.
Speaker 3: We have to beat repeat this.
Speaker 2: We'll get it all done. It's in sixty seconds. Stair.
Speaker 4: I set Summer in Motion with the most adventurous Hunda vehicles yet like the Passport and Pilot Trail Sports and the ridgelow, built for better off road performance and engineered for poor adventure summers. Here for a limited time, well qualified buyers can get a three point nine percent APR on a twenty twenty three hundred pilot, a two point nine percent APR at twenty twenty three Passport, and a zero point nine percent APR at twenty twenty three Riglar.
Speaker 5: Buy online reserve from select dealers or visit your local Honda dealer today See dealer.
Speaker 2: For financing details.
Speaker 6: Recycled Track Systems is transforming the way that commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling. We combine the power of AI with premium customer service to optimize waste pickup schedules, ensuring timely and efficient collections to keep our neighborhoods cleaner and greener. Visit RTS dot com to learn more about how we can help your business manage waste more responsibly.
Speaker 2: How's it going It is to Get Loud?
Speaker 1: Podcast Fred Smooth Michael Jenkins, presented by seat Gig.
Speaker 2: You're ready to get loud? Yes?
Speaker 3: W's now?
Speaker 1: I care about? Use this all I care about? And we got them in spades. Over the weekends, The Victory Monday smood them.
Speaker 3: It's always good on the victory Monday. It's very relaxing and it feels like you accomplished something. Even though I'm not on the field playing, I feel like I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Well, you did win a little bit. I did, Yeah, I did. You were talking about what was.
Speaker 1: Going to happen in this game, and look, it wasn't the easiest game to watch at times. But as you know, as every NFL head coach will tell.
Speaker 2: You, you take a dub. However, like the NFL is hard to win.
Speaker 3: Like I always tell people, it's thirty two teams out there, full of pros, right, and I thought, I think the fan base thought we were just gonna show up and throw this team out because I here go the front office of Arison, the Cardinals tanking. Yes, the players didn't get that memo because at the end of the day, we are independent contractors. I can't afford to go out here and put some bad film out here because you want Kayler Williams. So the rest of the team did not get that memo, and that's why they play so shops.
Speaker 1: And I have to say I fell into that trap. I said, the Cardinals stink yeah.
Speaker 3: I was better on the Commander's Yeah, you should have said the giant.
Speaker 2: I mean that was ugly. It was. It was really ugly.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that bridge a second before get back in this game, because it's always nice when you win, and then you watch the other teams. Even though I know nobody likes the Cowboys, but at least someone gotta.
Speaker 3: Be down in misery. You're right, falling misery. Plus Philadelphia didn't look at shake well. But that's that's what you do. In the first couple of weeks. You try to find your identity and find yourself. So I never get too high with the first week and never get too low.
Speaker 1: It's never easy. And also defense travels. Defense usually is ahead of the offense. This way, there always always so we'll get in to Sam Hall in a second. But when you talk about this Washington d particularly late in this game, I mean, you got Montest sweat.
Speaker 3: My god, listen, FedEx Field that house need to put a beware dogs high out there. Beware dogs because we got a couple of them.
Speaker 2: Forbes sweat change the game.
Speaker 3: It wasn't funder you you Niversity of Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: We lose that game.
Speaker 3: Yesterday because Sweat was a one man rick in the machine yesterday.
Speaker 2: And to end it for knock the ball down sends and sends us home on a good note.
Speaker 3: But listen, Montes, Sweat is on a one man pay me tour. Yep, all right. At the end of the day, I think this is just the beginning for him because last year he was he was three inches away from seventeen sacks. Last year, Yeah, that posted one of the highest PFF grades. He is there. The game has slowed down for him, and now he becomes who he really going because he can only get better from here.
Speaker 1: You know what I love is if you knew nothing about these two teams and I said, watch this game, tell me which guy you think is in a contract here, you'd have been like that.
Speaker 2: Guy like that number ninety most definitely in the contract here.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing about it, like it get a list strassful in contract years because you're like, all right, the first thing I can't do is get hurt, all right. The second thing I have to do is put good film out here every game, So you become studious of yourself. You become your biggest enemy almost, So it has to be this level where you can get some zin and also play your game, but understand what's what's behind you know.
Speaker 1: And I love too that at the end of this game, when the crowd is getting really back into it, that he was playing so well that d just kind of smothered.
Speaker 2: They just smothered him. And the Cardinals were just worn out.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they had they had made it to the point, and the fans took a toll over. Sit listen, it's hard with seventy thousand fans bearing down on you.
Speaker 2: And I saw Josh Dobbs couldn't hear on some third down. He just could not hear.
Speaker 3: That's that's how you weaponize a crowd like, that's how a crowd is supposed to be. It felt like a college atmosphere and FedEx it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: And then not just the people there, not just being being loud, it was just good energy. It was just good energy all over it. And it's been a while since we felt there.
Speaker 2: And at the end of the show, we're going to talk about all the celebs that were there before the game. It was a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I know you talked to most of those guys you experienced with most of those guys. So we're gonna get into that because the atmosphere was pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and samhow I think is a guy that and we all know this, it should said he has a ton of potential.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's going to be very good.
Speaker 1: We also forget this was his second start in their history. He has one more start than Cj'stroud, one more start than Bryce Shun, one more start than Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 2: So let's keep that in perspective.
Speaker 3: All right, you brought those names up, all new boys, that's what we call Rioky's new boys. And you know, new boys, they'll eat as much as they want to, but they'll have to throw up every once in a while, like when they had to give me back to you what you're given to them. Look at the guy that you talked about, Bryce Young lost, Anthony richards lost, CJ. Stroud lost. Yep, I got one. At the end of the day. I understand with him being eight quarters old, it's gonna take him some time. It's gonna be a year up and downs, but at one game, it's gonna be a game. I don't know if it's gonna be the tenth game, the twelfth game, the fourteen game. It's all going to slow down, yes, and then we get to see the real him start to how should I say, start to match rate and get shattered. But he showed us yesterday I can take a look in the face because list he took some licks cas you're white, tried to kill him the referee.
Speaker 2: Listen. Early on, by the way, the cars were just taking hast shots and tests.
Speaker 3: They had came out to said, you know what, everybody gonna cut us out. We're gonna bring pain, right and we're gonna pre pain. So he showed me he could take a lick and keep and get back and keep it on the ticket.
Speaker 2: He finished the game.
Speaker 3: He also showed me adversity doesn't bother me. He has this middles in. He ain't too high when he bothered. He ain't too low when he ain't doing well. But he showed me I'm a gamer. You pass. He threw for a touchdown this very Patrick Mahomes right there and him running and taking it into his own hands and scoring a touchdown. Think about it. If you give me the statue gave me yesterday, that means you're gonna score two touchdowns. One might be running, one might be passing. You're gonna turn it over at the end of the season. What you're gonna have thirty four touchdowns and seventeen picks. I will take that, Yes, I would, cause Jalen Hurts almost one MVP last year he scored thirty five touchdown. Understand where he's at and where he's going to be after this.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: And Jalen Hurd is a good example different quarterbacks but most definitely different. But also the narrative was is this guy gonna be the guy?
Speaker 2: You just don't and now look one of the best of the game.
Speaker 3: Listen got a big contract, took him to the Super Bowl. That's what you gotta say. What are we building towards when with Sam how we've been towards something great? Like I think he has the ability and I think he has the mental capacity to be a great quarterback.
Speaker 2: In this league.
Speaker 1: Again, we will get to the celebs, all the pregame festivities to sell out crowd, But I didn't want to ask what does it mean when you have all of this build up, when you have standing room only?
Speaker 2: And even though it was dicey, is still get to win.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, I think the fans came in there with their mental like it's just gonna be our day, right, But you know, the rain came so so we had to all reset and train of thought.
Speaker 2: And I think they were so high and they started booing for a.
Speaker 3: While cause they're like, this can't be ten to sixteen, not with the Cardinals at the end of the day. I think the expectation was so high. Yes, him down in the beginning, but that's what sports is about. It's the longest running reality show of all time. And with reality, it's gonna be some ups and down and that's what we love about it, being emotionally attached to this game. Sometime we're gonna last, Sometime we're gonna cry for the end of it. We're gonna do it together at seventy thousand strong. And that's the difference. And we know this. The Arizona Cardner's fans don't travel. I don't even know if Arizona got fans, but I know this for Washington. Washington showed up yesterday.
Speaker 2: They certainly did you know who shut up over the weekend.
Speaker 1: I tell me, Jay Texas longer I knew we were gonna have to go ahead. Texas long, shut up, tell me, tell them I'm wrong. They were the better team on the field, and tuscaloosave it was a better fit.
Speaker 2: You are right, You are.
Speaker 3: Right from the on set Now I said this oors at your quarterback, I said, he's better than the quarterback for Alabama. Uh. I didn't know y'all defense yet. I did not know y'all defense was dead. And y'all proved that. Ready for the SEC cause y'all coming next year. We're ready for the SEC. But get ready for eight and four a lot, like get ready for eighty four a lot. And y'all just won't let Texas A and them make it with it. We wearing them one up, y'all by coming to the SCC and y'all like, you know what we're gonna come to, Like that's what y'all do to texts ay and them at all time.
Speaker 2: We said.
Speaker 1: No, so we don't give love to everyone. We'll get to Colorado on the second for Hannah. Yeah, well, Mississippi State to it up.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, we had to go stop all this Pac ten bleeding because we couldn't beat the Pac ten sc like every day had beat all us, beat all of us until the Missispi State bull Dogs go out there to Arizona and teach them a lesson. So at the end of.
Speaker 2: The day, Missippi State, we're gonna be right there.
Speaker 3: And every year we seen them, we had lose that one game to Arkansas and then uh maybe to Alabama. I don't see them doing that this year. I see them being a steady team because we don't have that one side of the ball that sticks out like they usually do. Now we just got even kid. We got a quarterback. Usually that's where we lacking it. We got a quarterback. We got everything it takes right now to be great. Now they're gonna take that next step. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: What's gonna happen this weekend. Don't you guys play LSU Oh yes we do.
Speaker 3: I'm going to the game French FW to be on the sideline. I'm taking my son down there to that game. Let him get this SEC in his blood. A good saturday moren ain't nothing like waking up a good Saturday in the sec downside. Like listen, when I wake up, I'm and take a deep break. We're like, yeah, I can maybe get out and give me a couple of plays, But I can't wait to go to Stark, Vegas and see the dog Pound rocking in there, and just watch my son's face as he because he's getting ready to take it on. He's a twelfth grader, so next year he'll be in college, so I really want to give him that experience of what it feels like to be a Mississippi State bulldofs. I'm gonna take him down there Friday, let him go around camp, let him do all this stuff, let him see the big old stuff in his daddy and now you know what I'm saying, the shoes, he got a fit. And then we're gonna go watch them take on LSU, which.
Speaker 2: They're just not the same LSU. I am sorry, you got the wrong coach.
Speaker 3: It happens.
Speaker 2: If you got to.
Speaker 3: Come down here and fake a Southern accent, you probably shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be here like that. That's just what it is.
Speaker 1: Did you see the press conference where after that lost to Florida State. They asked him some of the press said, do you think you should have been more creative on offense? And he goes, I'm not gonna talk about being more creative on offense, more creative on defense, and then five minutes later random he goes, I think we should have been more.
Speaker 3: That's who he is. That's who he is, and now he's found himself in a high pressure situation like LSU don't take losing well. They do not take losing well, and they are only gonna, like I have to ask you themself, like think about it. You got him coaching, then you got a guy like Deon Sanders at Colorado who walks in your living room and leaves with your child. Now, Brian Kelly, I'm sorry. So that's that's what Kelly's gonna run a problem to in the South. Is not gonna be a recruit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: He got LSU backing him, and you got the Tiger, and you got to you got all the aura of it. But I'm sorry, that ain't enough. And I think Alabama is seeing that right now.
Speaker 2: It ain't enough.
Speaker 3: Nick Saban, Nick Saban, don't like the nil Nick Saban don't like the transfer portal. Nick Saban will be left behind. That's what happens to old Relicks and right now him and Dabbo.
Speaker 2: Sweeney on their way out.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I moved.
Speaker 2: For your dogs this weekend.
Speaker 1: I walked in this morning and everyone's got a smile on their face because the Commander's won, and as Buffalo's won, your dog's won.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my Horns won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But we got to talk about coach Bryan because I have to admit I've been late to the party here. I kept saying, like, all right, it's one game. It's one game, kind of like the Huskers this weekend because I like Matt Ruhle, But yeah, Colorado incredible atmosphere and the star power. Michael Irvin was losing it on the side of First of all, Shennon Shoppers are there, Shennon Sharp, you got stephen Ah Smith, you got Wu Tang, which I think it was like thirty three of them.
Speaker 3: It was like, I'm wrapped. It's like that's what he does. He brings entertainment to a campus. And what you loseing sight of Shador was a four star quarterback Travis Hunter with the number one player in the nation when he came out. Five star player. He got players all right. So at the end of the day, he might not have as much depth if he wanted and he needed, but he can compete with anybody right now, should do it might be leading for all Heisman and Travis Hunt is up for the high So that's telling you, yes, we got players and we got swaged. I don't think people understand how much that is a part of who you are as an athlete, that swag. And right now, Colorado got a nation behind him, not just a state, not a city. They got a nation behind them. And Prime is laying that brutelan out on how to get stuff done. And I love it because he's gonna propel a lot of X football players into coaching where they should have been. Anyway, You've been doing it your whole life, why not teach it. So at the end of the day, he's changing the landscape of college football. Right now as we speak, we're watching history.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about someone else who had a great weekend. Yeah, and we're talking about these young players. Ho Co Goff, Yes, fourth teenager to win the US Open from America, first since Serenenes.
Speaker 2: In like nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: And I have to say I was in the bar getting ready for the Texas game, but before it came on, we were.
Speaker 2: Watching in the US So I see the energy in it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, everybody the bar's going us say it was crazy.
Speaker 3: It's gabonizing. And did you see the video clip, the viral clip of young Coco at twelve years old. It's Serenas match watching her wing watch. She cheered, that's what you want and then.
Speaker 2: What tennis give you?
Speaker 3: Tennis is one of the rare sports that you can go pro at fourteen fifteen years old, so she's one of them. She has damn dealt with a lot of ups and downs. And I see now why she went through that mental battle she went through. Imagine being sixteen jinks oh man, and have to represent a whole nation, and we know winning and losing takes this toll on you, but we don't think about it because I was a sort of losing in high school. She's a baby, she's amazing baby going through this stuff and coming out on top. I praise her for that.
Speaker 2: And it didn't he go the scary thing. She just getting started.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's the scary thing that pushed the world on nose. She's just getting started and she's galvanized. She's bringing people together. Like you said, Usa, that's all I heard. Like, Yeah, I was like I was flabbergashing of the energy and the people there. I don't even know how KD got to the open and then made it the fact field the next day.
Speaker 2: Well that's what happened when you got a PJ. That's what happened right there, thinks.
Speaker 1: My favorite part of the whole thing was A was incredible, But I had to admit I got a pretty emotional watching her go chase down her parents and then hugging them, and I was like, man, that is that's.
Speaker 3: Really not That's what sports does, and that's what it is. It's the longest running reality the show. I said all the time, like people don't understand who got your ConA when you don't have that game like our friends who go get burnt. For two, My mama still love me. She can care less about all the stuff going on. And then what Coco says, she like when you lose a draw. My parents still love me, and I think that's very important.
Speaker 1: So guys in the NFL you experienced this too, when you have so much success and you come into money and you come into fame no matter what sport you play, and you're young. Because I always thought for me, I was like I'm mature for my age. But even now I look back, I'm like, you're an idiot. I'm like, I'm an idiot. So how difficult is that to manage all of those different things at once?
Speaker 2: No matter the sports.
Speaker 3: It's hard, But I think sports get you ready for it because it's hard. Like, right when you think you didn't perfected it, it shows you you haven't. It's one of the things that'll be taking away very quickly. But I think what most athletes do a good job of is making sure they separate the sport from the person. All right, and the person still has family that they want to take care of. The person still got people they love, and they still have to date and do other regular stuff. Like It's one of them things where you consume it all, but you make sure that it's never too big for you. That's why I have to praise her with age nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So if you could go back, yeah, Fred Smooth, Now, if you could tell young Fred Smooth something one piece of advice.
Speaker 2: This is me playing therapist here. Yes, what would you tell yourself?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a great question, Jens. Give yourself five years after you retire to just go see the world, figure it out. Just go see the world, have no true attachment, play your sport, retire, leave three or four years for you, and then start the normancy. Yeah yeah, And I think that's what we don't do. We don't give ourselves a chance to air out. Sure, like we usually go from one career to another career and just keep going. But I would have said, take a little time for yourself, go live in China, Indie, wherever you want to go, South America, and just air out for a little bit, let your body and your soul wrist and then chase the talking career and then go chase the other you want to do. But yeah, that would I say, take some Fred's smooth time for you, Fred, because I liked.
Speaker 2: You, said Fred to Fred, Yeah, yeah, take some time for you.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's kind of like it is in life for evere where you're you assume.
Speaker 2: That you're supposed to be in a path. Right, I'm gonna graduate, and when I graduate, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna get a job.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get a job. I'm gonna get a job.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have a kid.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get I'm gonna have kids. I'm gonna do this, and then you realize that's all well and fine, but.
Speaker 3: I don't have to do that, and I don't like that's the American way to do things. But everybody got a different path. Everybody got a different path, so you got to embrace your path.
Speaker 2: So you know, if I could jump in.
Speaker 3: The time machine and go slap Fred, I would be like, look at me. I mean, listen to me right now. Listen to me, chill out, enjoy yourself, take.
Speaker 2: Some new time. Well, no matter where you are in the world. Yeah, I know that you're like karaoke. I love it, and you love bowling.
Speaker 3: I'm going pro again, Jinks your pro once in football?
Speaker 2: Oh professional, forget it. I'm going per second. It's early on the Monday. I was like, oh, yeah, he was a problem. Yeah, I used to play football, by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going pro in PBA. I think it's time. I think it's time. I'm a two sport guy. I'm very good at bowling.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me stop you right there, because Doc Walker says I've heard this before, but Doc Walker says he's never seen you ball.
Speaker 3: And then because Doc don't hang at bowling, Ally's like this, Doc fault all right. But the DMV knows. The DMV I've taken on Southern Maryland, Northern Virginia, DC beat them all. It's nobody in the DMV that can beat me bowling, Like since I've been here, Okay, I bowled eleven nine to eleven, perfect game, three hundred, yes, sir, and my weapons are mass destructured.
Speaker 2: My balls all right, Listen to me.
Speaker 3: If you a skilled bowling, it's a couple.
Speaker 2: Of things, you know.
Speaker 3: I got to have the right balls for the right all patterns for the wood that I'm attempting. Like when I go bowling, I'm not going against you.
Speaker 2: You have your own bowet balls.
Speaker 3: I I got seven of them, seven seven of them, all right, and I love to use hercules. He's one of my one of my.
Speaker 2: Best ball You name them all? Why not?
Speaker 3: What you mean? I got the Cobra command, then I got all kas of people in thereright, listen, listen, listen.
Speaker 2: And that's why I go by my nickname Bigger Aeron mccrackett.
Speaker 3: You know this ten per one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 2: And then why.
Speaker 3: Anytime you see me bowling, and never say Fred Smooth, It's just say Bigger Aeron mcracket.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that's me. Guess who I am.
Speaker 3: But it's you against the all patterns. And this is what people do understand, because we roll with the speed. Okay, it pushes the ore. Okay, right when it started to pushes the air, You'll see me change balls and now I'm gonna go to one of my dryer, more aggressive balls, and now I'm gonna go find the ore. All right. So that's the thing about it, that's why they re all it after.
Speaker 1: Any time you bowl, So if you go bowling, will you take multiple balls? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got, I got.
Speaker 3: I got a hold of that. It carries four balls, and then I bring my other ones it carries two. It depends on where I'm going in the competition. When I walk in like I'm bringing in some kids with me. I'm just I'm walking with balls in my hand. Yes, So you gotta have your balls, you gotta have your shoes. You got to have the small things, even down to your tile, like I only use dry fit certain tiles to get all the dust off of my balls and stuff. And you got to take care of them balls. I take them to get them, get them shined up, get them to moisturize everything.
Speaker 2: Man, So how did you get good at that? Because I I'll bowl. You know, I'm like most bowlers.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I suck. Sometimes I'm like added pretty well. But I'm a recreational board. You had a bout a lot to be good.
Speaker 3: Well, high school is started. Everybody bowled in high school. But I'm also a competitor, right, So once you get to doing the sport, you're doing it. In any sport that I can drink beer and get better at. You know, golf is like that, Bowling is like that. I'm gonna take it very serious. And then I just got hooked on it. And by the time I made it to college, I'm full fledged. Every week the bowling that I know, I'm coming in three days a week, like I bought. When I go bowling, it's usually like three o'clock in the evening, so it be me and three people. Grand and Granddaddy is in there, and I'm talking trashed them too. Oh listen, I don kick Granny's and grandmama's but all up and down the bowling at it. At the end of the day, I love bowling and it's something that I can do with my family.
Speaker 2: I love it me and my kids love. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So do you bowl like most people do or do you do that thing where you create lett and spin it?
Speaker 3: No, you don't cradle you know needs to be straight. Okay, Yet I spin, Like, think about it. The earth is a ball.
Speaker 2: It spins.
Speaker 3: The only way that you could tell that sphere of where to go is to spin it with a certain velocity like people that just toss it. It ain't called tossing, It's called bowlds.
Speaker 7: True.
Speaker 3: So you can only control the ball with the spin.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the spin is very important for you to tell it where to go, how to go, and how fast.
Speaker 1: To go if you want it to be a pro when you become a pro, yes, I am. How much work would it take for you to actually do that?
Speaker 2: All I need to do is consistently keep doing it.
Speaker 3: Like the one thing about bowling, When you stop doing it, you lose sight of that, You lose your edge. Yeah, Like right now, if the PBA called me right now and say hey, we want you to play in a tournament in three weeks, I would literally bowl every day into that day, would you every day and to that day?
Speaker 2: Like every day and to that day, And.
Speaker 3: I take it the part of myself to not just bowl let the bowling that is around my house. I would go to other bowling that because I need to go to other woods a gest to them, so then I would do that. So yeah, I could be ready to know Tame.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you my favorite Doc Walker story? Talk about doctor please? Okay, So you've known Doc for a long.
Speaker 3: Time, because he's like ninety.
Speaker 1: When I was working the NBC, I put my makeup on right and whatever, and Doc Walking walks in.
Speaker 2: He goes, my man Jenkins, gives me a hug. He goes, well we're doing now.
Speaker 1: Me and you people are gonna be talking about five or six years from now. Yeah, all right, He's like, I got you, Doc. He goes, let me tell you something. He goes, you got the cigar?
Speaker 2: Yes, he goes. People been ask me lately, Doc, you lost weight? Doc, you lost weight? Yeah? And I said, yay, I lost some weight. Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: That's so Doc.
Speaker 2: He goes, keep him guessing. He is such. He just smiles, takes a puff of a cigar and choose on it walks off.
Speaker 3: I was like, thanks, Doc, and he will talk about itself and the third person out of Tame what's going on?
Speaker 1: Doc?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Doc, don't let them bother him.
Speaker 3: That's what Doc don't do.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what's wrong with you? Like this who he is?
Speaker 3: That's why I love him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Doctor left my mind in the pretzel.
Speaker 3: I was like, keep him guessing And that was so deep and hey, you feel thought like why did I go to Texas?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I just been with doctor.
Speaker 1: Just let him teach me life lessons of the entirety. I love Doc man, that's my favorite. Okay, so let's move ahead to this weekend coming up. Yeah, all right, we got Denver on the road, mile high city. How difficult is it to prepare for that sort of environment? I have not I've been to Denver. It's a lot different when you're competing at a high level. How much it affect you.
Speaker 3: It affects you a lot. Like people don't understand what a mile high is. They mean mile high end, this stadium, mile high end, the stadium, this high altitude. That's so high altitude. And were mostly from the south. We're by the water. We're like zero attitude. It dehydrates you so quick. I don't care how much water you did. Your body needs twenty four hours to forty eight hours to acclimate to it. Think about this, If I'm a mile high in the era, the area is thinner, the air is thinner. Is making my heart work hard, is making my blood thinner? I need time to adjust to it. Like I played the game there, and the weather was so the shun was shining in the first quarter, it rained in the second, it snowed in the third, and the sun came back out in the fourth quarter. Like it's very unpredictable weatherwise. And you also, like I said, and that's why a lot of pro athletes train in Denver. They train in Colorado, so we can take our body through that stress and when we do come back down to the elevation, we're fine. We're fine. So it's one of the things that they really have an advantage when it comes to location. Hey, even watch the you watch the basketball when the Denver Nuggets one, the team was going there getting tired, no matter if you inside.
Speaker 2: It's a real factor.
Speaker 3: It's a real factor, and it's a real advantage too.
Speaker 1: So how much of that is mental because certainly it takes a physical toll on your body, but it's almost like if you're short of breath and you're an anxious person in a way, you can start to have an anxiety attack. Oh easy, and then that just makes everything worse. You need to be like, hey, take a few deep breasts here.
Speaker 3: You gotta take a couple of deep breath in my homeboard. Ryan Clark he could never play there so anytime because I think I don't know if it was because it's appendice had been removed or something, but it was it was dangerous for him to play in Denver. So he never dressed in Denver. He just sat on the sideline Like that's how lethal it is, Like it's you against mother nature. That's that's what it is. That's why I'm hoping the team goes out there four to eight hours before to get a player some time to just walk around like you get that clamating.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you'll see teams do that out they're there too early. Just to say, let yourself adjust.
Speaker 3: Let yourself a jest, let you let you let your hard and let your oxygen level of jest. That's what has the jests.
Speaker 1: One thing we always seen in the NFL is it's easy to completely freak out over one week.
Speaker 2: It is everybody does.
Speaker 3: It's week one everybody that want think they're going to the super Bowl, right, everybody that lost ready to draft kle to wigs. That's where's that's that's the panic of it. But that's what make football so unique. Every quarter, every game counts, and that's what makes it. That's why I got people hooked to the TV. I want to see every play. But I'm never gonna get too high too low on week one.
Speaker 1: I say that because what do you want to see improvement wise in week two? Because there's lots of things to improve upon for everybody.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not gonna do what everybody else gonna do. I'm not going paralysis by over analysis. I'm not gonna do that to myself. What I do want is progression with Sam Howe. I just want to see him get better at weekend and week out. Like I said, he's a new boy. I want to see him get better week in a week out. I want to see that offensive line hold up a little bit better. I know it's gonna take them time to jail, they need to work together, but eventually they're gonna have to come together and they're gonna have to stick through this thing together. Defense, I want them to go out there and really what they did in the second half Dictator game be the reason we won. Now, it ain't gonna be the Baltimore Ravens of two thousand and one, But I want you to be similar because I think you got the players to get that done. So I want to see them go out here to Denver and treat them with like they are. I think Denver is They don't want to say they rebuilding, but it's some unsetities there. They don't seem the like Sean Payton and the politician Russell Wilson. Don't see them be on the same But you know how you see a relationship and you're like they day's a number, you know, like some are.
Speaker 2: Just not It's like they're together but not for but not together right, But he cheating.
Speaker 3: Like somebody cheating.
Speaker 1: So Russ, how can I put this kindly? Are his best days behind him?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I always got I got these things that I do. I study players, and I studied some things, and I have watched this happen with running quarterbacks. They run their way to big contracts and then they want to become pocket passes.
Speaker 2: That's not his game.
Speaker 3: I watched Donovan McNab do it. I watched Skinny Dak Prescott leaving Misissippi State, run to a big contract and he runs no more. I watched Russell go run the Super Bowl running, he runs no more? What made you special? You don't like to do it anymore? And they've seen the game odd fifteen to twenty pounds that don't allow him to run anymore. So I think it's identity crisis. I think Russell thinks he's old Russ and he's not the new politician. Russ ain't as good as the other Russ. And then what I say, sometimes you gotta lean on what got you there? And I think sometime with quarterbacks they want to change the narrative. Now any time they say I'm a running coquter, I want to be no running what quarterback? I want to be? Joe Mantanna, You're not. I do what got you there? And what makes you special? We know the Washington fans, yeah, our jack. We saw a season open. They're gonna be jacked for week two. But I did want to ask you about the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Yes before week well, I mean the stadium was packed, it was standing room only.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about that. Stay with me.
Speaker 1: Listen sixty seconds, take a bathroom break, get yourself some water.
Speaker 2: Just do it quick. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about that on Get Lap, presented by seat Geek, brought to.
Speaker 7: You by Bet three sixty five, official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. Become a part of the play and bet on a range of NFL markets. Turn one dollar into two hundred dollars of bonus bets with our new customer offer. Download the Bet three six five AF today and join eighty million members worldwide, age twenty.
Speaker 2: One plus only.
Speaker 7: Must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 8: We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life doesn't escape us. We dream of a place anywhere in the world, and in the blink of an eye, we're there. That's the wonder of flight. All you have to decide is where to Dullest International Airport. Let your imagination sore, book your adventure today at flight dullest dot com. Slash NonStop tell what that was? Yes, nice, and and we're back to Get Loud Podcasts. For anybody seet geek that smooth.
Speaker 1: I'm jinx so I mean it was a Who's Who's star stud it?
Speaker 2: Oh my godss it was Riggo was there.
Speaker 3: I think I seen the Queen of England and that it was. It was crazy, like first of all the whole fan base, everybody happen to welcome back John Riggins. I con of disfranchise. Great to see him, Great to see son of Jackson with the Ciga in my ours, Great to see Pierre going. So I was like so many do my boy Champ Bailey, my first running made in the league. Love to see him. We still spend a lot of time together. So uh, I think Joe L and B was in there, but k D was in there. I like, how did he make it from the USO did it?
Speaker 2: Pj's Alex she was there.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to start speaking Russian because I'm trying to communicate with It was like and not just that support that shows everything, that shows we're we're we was asleeping giant people wanted to they just didn't. But now it changes and it felt like such a high school I mean a high school college atmosphere where it was just good energy good. She in there and it's nothing like that. But like we's been times where we had a packed house, but we didn't have a pack house like that. And that's what I think the players deserved. I thought Terry mclaughan deserved that. John Allen deserved it to know how it really feels to be a Washington football player.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you mentioned those guys because they were the ones who were very outspoken after the game, saying, man.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, this was awesome, and do forget your boy that was there by three sticks. Yeah, my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like everybody came out, you know, say something, I'm with it, man, I'm with it.
Speaker 1: Well doesn't that just speak to the fact that everyone here. When I say everyone, I mean former players, yeah, and people who are celebs who love this team. They've been waiting for this new era for a long time.
Speaker 3: But you know what you get what you wait for, and we waited for it, and now that it's here, we're in the presence and we're gonna have to pack that house again. So at the end of the day, it's repeat, rintz repeat, do it again. Like this has to be the norm, because when I was here it was the norm. Like I never played in front of empty FedEx Field. It's right, I never had the privilege of doing it. Every time I played in FedEx Field it was to capacity and we used to hold ninety thousand at that time. So, like I said, we have awakened a sleeping giant.
Speaker 1: So I know you're playing, but when you say you're standing there, it feels like you can still get out there and you hear that roar for the first time while what did you think?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I did get that, my Honor Reary smooth. You I got that again because I took out a venturing out there haying him the game ball, and of course the fans see it was me that went smooth, and I could feel that ground rat in a live bit. And that's when I was like, damn, where my cliq's at? Jeez, I I was looking for my cleaques. Then I went to my car and realized I had like the Walter Payton kangaroos and they like seventy three years old. Let me know, I can't never.
Speaker 2: Play again when I walk out on the field.
Speaker 1: You right here, Yeah, I listened real close, and there's one guy going Jakes Jacks. Ain't that Michael jay Man and he goes say, smooth, ye do, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: I understand you. On the man that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: For the Getting Loud podcast Fronts Move Michael Jenkins presented by a Seat Geek.
Speaker 2: Let's get a win this weekend. See you in delver.
Speaker 4: Set Summer in Motion with the most so electrifying Honda vehicles yet like the CRV in a cord with available hybrid powertrains designed to deliver more thrilling performance and more innovative tech summers here make every adventure more electrified with Honda. For a limited time, well qualified buyers can get a three point nine percent APR on at twenty twenty three Honda a COURD Hybrid for twenty twenty three CRV.
Speaker 5: Hy buy online reserved from select dealers or visit your local Honda dealer today.
Speaker 2: Sea Dealer for financing details.
Speaker 6: We have some breaking news that you Commanders fans are gonna want to hear.
Speaker 2: It's official.
Speaker 6: Seat Geek is now the official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. That's right, the deal is finalized and Seat Geek is the newest member of the Commander's family.
Speaker 2: If you haven't heard the name.
Speaker 6: Yet, get used to it, because you'll be hearing it a lot more this season. Whether you are buying or selling tickets to Commander's games or any other live event in the DMV, seat Geek is the place to do it. Seat Geek the new official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders so Commanders fans can fan.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives