Speaker 1: You are listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: Food Unlock so many memories, the kitchen you grew up in, the first meal you cooked, celebrations with friends and family. More than forty guests have joined me at Table four this season, sharing recipes, cooking together and talking about the importance of food in all of our lives. In this episode, we will share some of those conversations, hearing from the actors Stephen Fry and Laura Dern, former footballer Gary Lineker, and the three star Michelin chef Eric Repair. But first Linda Vangelista talking about her memories of working as a model in the eighties, her love of cooking, and life in Canada with her Italian family. We began with our recipe for nyoki with slow cooked tomato sauce.
Speaker 3: It's great to see something in writing, because I learned to make nyoki with my grandmother, but it was never written down, and it was a little bit of this and this, many eggs depending how big they are, and some potatoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some potatoes. That's how we learned to I mean, that's a beautiful way to learn. She did she ever write anything down? She couldn't write. Yeah, she didn't know how to write. She didn't know how to write English. She didn't know how to write it all. She didn't know how to write it all. She was a peasant.
Speaker 3: She was born in Italy, as was my father and my mother and all my grandparents.
Speaker 2: And do you speak Italian?
Speaker 3: Very badly? I speak it, and my family speaks dialect. I know you're friend and proper Italian, but at home they speak dialect. My parents spoke English to us growing up, and only when they were arguing did they speak to each other in Italian. So I can tell you where to go in Italian, but I can't ask you are you having a nice.
Speaker 2: Day or kind words. My husband, Richard and Zad's father had Italian parents, and he had the same thing that he heard spoken, a very similar story when there was an argument, I think. And then when he did learn Italian, a lot of it came back because he had kind of grown up for it.
Speaker 3: So this grandmother, she never did learn him to speak English. And in our neighborhood it was quite Polish, some Ukrainians and Italians.
Speaker 2: Where was it? Where was then?
Speaker 3: In Saint Catharine's, Ontario, Canada across the lake from Toronto in Niagara Region, right near the border of the United States, and my grandmother went to Italian mass shopped at the Italian store, worked picking fruit on the farm with the Italian ladies, so she didn't really need to speak English. I remember how excited they all got that generation when Canada went metric. I was about ten years old or so, I approximately, and then they understood, oh, this is how many grams of meat I'm buying, and so they were very happy when that happened.
Speaker 2: When did they leave. The family comes from between Naples and Rome.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a town called Pinatado in Taramna which is near Casino and Monte Casino, where the big battle World War two took place. And my father would have come over. And he was born in nineteen forty and I think he came over nineteen fifty six. And my mother was born in forty three and she came over in nineteen fifty.
Speaker 2: And the grandmother that you were describing was that your mother's mother.
Speaker 3: That was my father's mother, but my mother's mother's kind of the same.
Speaker 2: And they all came they all eventually they were all.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they came with the few belongings that they had. And I have the two handmade hammered copper pots that my one grandmother came over with and she would make her Sunday you know, to mao sauce in and I have them. They're like, there are precious belongings. There's no painting, there's no paintings.
Speaker 2: Yes, saw Sam is a memory and it is what she cooked with, so bringing that with her was part of her Why did they leave, you.
Speaker 3: Know, they left in search of a better life. They had lost everything. Well, they didn't have anything much. They worked their land, so it's not like they had vocations and.
Speaker 2: They just.
Speaker 3: Went in search of a better life for their children.
Speaker 2: In Canada rather than the United States.
Speaker 3: Well, they were heading to the United States, but at the time they closed their doors and then they were not receiving any more immigrants. And somebody in the United States found a sponsor for my grandfather in Canada and the other one similar story. So yeah, one grandfather was a prisoner of war. They were in the war. My grandfather's My mom was born during the war forty three.
Speaker 2: And she spoke Italian.
Speaker 3: She speaks proper and dialect.
Speaker 2: She speaks both when do you say dialect, you mean the dialect of that region.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it gets even worse because then, you know, it takes on a life of its own in Canada, not quite like the way the Americans, they like totally butchered the language. And I don't like the way they cut off the ends of the words when they say mozzarella.
Speaker 2: When they say mozzarell, that's Tony Soprano, remember Tony's in watching the Sopranos. They would always call it mozzarell. Yeah, yeah, that's and so your mother also, your mother had both her mother and her mother in law correct with her. Yeah. And did they all cook together?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think early on they did. And you know, my mother is because she came over young, she got quite americanized, and you know she she you know, she has an education and she cooks with recipes she but she also has all the recipes in her head like what she grew up making.
Speaker 2: Who is the best cook of all of them? Do you think me? You good? Okay, We're gonna get to that. I like your answer, Okay, So do you want to read the recipe with tomato sauce ganaki?
Speaker 3: I'm joking, Okay, yoki with tomato sauce, served six in my family.
Speaker 2: Three one, yeah, okay?
Speaker 3: Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Two clothes of garlic finally sliced. I would say a little, you can add more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay? Good?
Speaker 3: Eight hundred grams of ten peeled plum tomatoes. One kilogram of white flowery potatoes.
Speaker 2: Imma will be happy that this is in grams, wouldn't she? Yes, she would.
Speaker 3: One hundred and thirty grams of double zero flour, one large egg, lightly beaten, and ten basil leaves interesting.
Speaker 2: Heat the olive.
Speaker 3: Oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up, season well, and cook for thirty minutes on low heat. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes and cook until they are easily pierced with a fork. Drain and peel when they are cool enough to handle. Immediately put the potatoes through a food milk and then sift the flour over them, making a well in the center. Add the beaten egg using your hands, quickly mixed to form a smooth, soft dough. Do not overwork the dough or you will make the nyoki too heavy. Divide the dough into four using your hands, roll the dough into a sausage and then cut into pieces. Cook the yoki until they rise to the surface. Remove the yaki with a slotted spoon, and then stir into the tomato sauce. Add the basil and if you like grated potamigiano. Now we ran our yoki along.
Speaker 2: A four to get the ridges. You can do that. We sometimes do ridges and sometimes we don't. I prefer without, Yeah, you prefer without. We were also talking today about yaki. I was talken to Joseph Trevelli, one of my chefs. He was saying, do you remember Ruthy, how the cook in our house in Italy called Giovanna made yaki And she said to us, when you form them them was like you're doing a book, Like you're making a book of the flower and the mixture. Because if you it is really true that if you handle them too much, they do get tough, and so you want to touch the flower gets old, it gets overdeveloped, and the idea that you want to make them as light and actually I also used to say that what we do is we'd make the potatoes and add a little bit of flower and then put one in and then they'd fall apart. And then you would add a little bit of flower, and you would do it so gradually that then you would know that you need that amount of flower for them not to fall apart, but the least amount makes them as light as you can.
Speaker 3: And then once you've done them so many times, you just know.
Speaker 2: So let's go back to the beginning. You grew up with an Italian grandmother's two, two grandfathers, two your parents. What was food like growing up in the Evangelista household.
Speaker 3: Well, I complained a lot because we always ate homemade food and I wanted to have TV dinner or frozen meals or something out of a can.
Speaker 2: I wanted to close from Sears roebook. I was really oh, my clothes were from Cyrus. I did a thing to my mother, not that we had money, but why can't we buy clothes out of a catalog?
Speaker 3: That sounds so my clothes were from Sears and Woolworth. So yeah, So it was a lot of homemade food and I appreciate that now, but like growing up, you know, I wanted the TV dinners with the compartments, you know, and the little apple pie in the corner. And but yeah, my father took us out for dinner every Friday because my mother worked late. She was working in retail. But my father let us choose the restaurant. And by restaurant, I mean McDonald's or Denny's or the pizzeria or A and W you know, fast food. And so that was a big deal because we were very spoiled with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and fresh.
Speaker 3: We had homemade pasta Wednesdays and Sundays. We had roast beef once a week. We would have steak or barbecue once a week. My father really spent a lot of money, I think on food because he didn't have much growing up. They ate like a chicken or a rabbit once a week.
Speaker 2: This is what until he was sixteen, until came to America. Yeah, until he got.
Speaker 3: A good job at General Motors. And the food went on the table family style.
Speaker 2: How many if you were there, you me and two brothers, two brothers.
Speaker 3: And he would serve us and he would put like this mound on your plate and you had to eat it all. And for him, the most important thing was you weren't hungry. That you were nourished that you ate. Everybody had a garden, and what they produced in these gardens was unbelievable. Tell me about everything like tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers and different like ridico and and then there were the fruit trees, and then there was like basil, all the herbs, you name it, onions, and it was just all there.
Speaker 2: And so you had your own garden full of.
Speaker 3: Everybody had the whole backyard was a garden, but shared what the other one didn't have. And it's not like we had a swimming pool or we didn't play in our backyards. We played on the street or parking lot.
Speaker 2: Did they bring the seeds? Do you think for Italy?
Speaker 5: I have?
Speaker 2: The seeds are a whole thing.
Speaker 3: The seeds was like a network and whoever had like the best tomatoes that year would do the seeds and hand them out. And it's so funny. Now you see all these heirloom tomatoes and I'm like, but those are the tomatoes I grew up with, Like none of them were nice little round tomatoes. And then the fruit trees. And my father he had a green thumb and he would graft.
Speaker 2: He would do these.
Speaker 3: Sensational things like the apricot tree had plums on it and the red apple tree had a branch with yellow apples. And he would graft and it would be it would just be incredible, and then he would make his gropas.
Speaker 2: So do you think that then he would go work at general motives? Do you think that in his real passion would have been to have been a farmer or to have done this whole day? Absolutely? Yeah. Well, he grew up.
Speaker 3: He didn't get an education because he had to work the land. And I know he had a donkey and whenever he referred to Italy he referred to it as the good old days. I think that would have been what he would have loved to have done, because he was so good at it.
Speaker 2: When you left, because you went to work quite at an early age, I was eighteen almost nine, Oh you were What was that like, leaving this culture of food? What did you do? How did you eat? I think I ate really simple.
Speaker 3: I was in New York for about a month or so, and then they shipped me off off to Paris, who shipped you off the agency because I wasn't doing so well in New York. They said, maybe you'll be more successful at nineteen, and I was first in the Hotel sant Andre DA's art, but I got bed bugs there, so I went to the Hotel La Louisia and.
Speaker 2: My mom Louisiana. My mom found out our hotel, our hotel room in the Louisiana was being used during the day. I'm not kidding what any once came home and they would rent it out during the day. Oh my god. Yeah, so we left.
Speaker 3: That was an upgrade for me. It was ten dollars more a night, and my mom had to approve that. And so I would go to the market Arrue la Boussi, and I would like get a baguet and a piece of breeze and a piece of fruit, and that's how I would eat on a budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we moved into the hotel Descend. You remember that one that was next door to a big step up. Yeah, what year was that, Well, it was in seventy seventy three, maybe seventy two there in like eighty forty, Yeah, so that was later, so I'm sure, but I remember I said it was a pretty rough person. The best story I have about the hotel we stayed in, Renzo Piano came to visit me Richard and his partner. They were doing the Pompany Center. I was sick, so I was in bed. Sorenzo came up and talked to me until Richard came back. He was at dinner and we were just talking and you know, was sneezing, and then the phone rang and it was a concierge and he said, madam, your husband is on the way up. And I thought that was so cool. At the hotel, oh, they were mourning me because they thought that I was in bed with my lover.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: I thought that was in a cheap hotel. That was a pretty good service if I needed it, very good service. The River Cafe Cafe, our all day space and just steps away from the restaurant, is now open. In the morning an Italian breakfast with cornetti, ciambella and crostada from our pastry kitchen. In the afternoon, ice creamed coupes and River Cafe classic desserts. We have sharing plates Salumi, misti, mozzarella, brusquetto red and yellow peppers, Vitello, tonado and more. Come in the evening for cocktails with our resident pianist.
Speaker 4: In the bar.
Speaker 2: No need to book. See you here. Laverna Down is one of the great restaurants of the world, and Eric Repair is one of the most admired chefs in the world. We sat down together in New York to talk about his culinary education and his food memories of his child in the south of France.
Speaker 6: My two grandmothers inspired me a lot, and my mother was an amazing, amazing chef.
Speaker 2: I tell me because it was interesting. I always say that in all these interviews that we've done, the grandmother.
Speaker 6: The Italian one, was cooking very Italian soul food. She was cooking like great Italian, northern Italian food, and I loved it. And then my grandmother from Provence was doing the same with proven sal food as well, which is a little bit similar than Northern Italian, but as some sort of differences.
Speaker 2: I did the drive quite recently from Santa Margarita to Genoa to Nice and suddenly you were in Italy and now you're in France, and you know, the farinata which they do in Italy is the Italian version of the socca, yeah, which is in Nice. And what else do they cook?
Speaker 4: Like my grandmother in province.
Speaker 6: She was from the region of Avignon, so in Avignon, they're not close to the sea, they are obviously in land, and she would do like a baby leg of lamb roasted. And then my grandmother, the Italian grandmother, wouldn't do that, but.
Speaker 4: She would do.
Speaker 6: She would do alsobuco, for instance, my grandmother in Provence would do a cocoverain. My grandmother in Italy didn't know what cocoveraine was. And those were subtle differences, but they were important. My mother was obsessed with the chefs from nouvelle cuisine at the time, so the Michelle Gerard, the Paul Booquez, that generation. And at home she was cooking lunch and dinner, those elaborate meals with appetizer, main course cheese which she didn't cook, and dessert that were different from lunch to dinner, on a different pattern of tablecloth, different china. It was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Who would she be cooking for.
Speaker 6: She was cooking for myself, stepfather, and my sister when she was old enough to be.
Speaker 4: At the table with us, because she's much younger than me.
Speaker 2: She did this every day, every day.
Speaker 6: She would well, she was a business lady, so she was in fashion industry. She was importing the brand Courage Spain, Spain and n yes, and so she was very busy with the business. But she would wake up at five am to prepare the meal and then she would finish whatever needs to be finished, all the little details during lunchtime, and then same thing at night. And sometimes after the dinner she would start to cook for the like the desserts, like if she was doing I don't know about room, she would start to let the do you know rise and so on.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean it was amazing.
Speaker 2: But do you think she would have liked to have done that as a career.
Speaker 4: No, No, she was.
Speaker 6: She wanted to do it because for the art of doing it, for the love of doing it, and she wanted to feed the family.
Speaker 2: So you had this incredible life of having food that was cared you know, it was a priority in her day and your stepfather.
Speaker 4: And different styles too.
Speaker 2: Did you ever cook with her with my mom.
Speaker 6: Later in life, because on the beginning, they allow me to watch and eat anything I wanted, but they really didn't want me to touch anything. They were like, you're going to mess up the kitchen, don't touch it. So I was eating and just before I went to culinary school, my mom started to allow me to help her in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: She sounds amazing, and she's still cooking.
Speaker 6: She cooks for herself, and she sent me pictures sometimes and I'm like, oh my god, this is amazing. Like the other day she did the dog comfee and then you know she has I don't know, you call it those little for the for the bone, those little white.
Speaker 2: White things, yeah yeah, those white yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So she still has those kind of details, and I'm like, oh my god, how can you do that?
Speaker 2: How do you look back at the food of the nevelle cuisine, What do you think when you when you think of that food.
Speaker 6: Well, as you know, nouvelle cuisine at one point became really a bad world, and it became a caricature of.
Speaker 2: Big plates and food, and.
Speaker 6: I always have this image of like three string beans parallel to each other. But novelle cuisine on the beginning was a revolution. We were coming out of the era of escoffi. It was a different mindset where the sauce was not hiding anymore the flavors, but the sauce was enhancing the star of the plate, which was what were protein mostly or vegetable you decide. And also it was the first time that chefs were playing their food. Until then, the food was on platters and the wails were serving the food or the clients were serving themselves from the platter. But the first chef to say I'm playing my food in my plate was the Drug Row.
Speaker 2: So you grew up in a house where food was a priority, where your mother cooked, your grandmother's cooked. Tell us when about your journey to becoming a chef, from being a child that wasn't allowed in the kitchen to being I think a fifteen year old that started cooking. What happened at fifteen when you've decided to be well?
Speaker 6: At fifteen, I cannot go to school any longer because my grades are so bad. So I ended up in the principal office with mom and is explaining to her that I have to find out what they call a vocational.
Speaker 4: School or a career year.
Speaker 6: Was this that's nineteen eighty and I look sad, but I'm really happy because I want to go to culinary school and my grades were great on the first year. On the second year, same thing. I at my exam, which was after two years, I had to do a gulash and the rice pillaff with Langostin's in a source nine two yer and I did a good job because I graduated with honors. And then I was like, this is the beginning. So at seventeen years old, I write a letter to the eighteen three star Michelin restaurants in Friends because I was eighteen at a time, and nobody answered nobody. So then at one point I go back and I write to the two stars, and then Maxims sent me a letter saying we don't have a spot for you, and that's my only letter. And then three months later I received a letter from Latino Darjon and at the time they were three stars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, and they were.
Speaker 6: Celebrating in nineteen eighty two their four hundred year anniversary. Anyway, I ended up at seventeen years old in Lato Arjon in Paris.
Speaker 2: Where did you stay?
Speaker 6: In a tiny hotel? And then I find finally a place. It took a couple of months to find a place.
Speaker 4: That was very very challenge. Seventeen in a kitchen like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was the culture of the kitchen.
Speaker 7: What was it like?
Speaker 6: Very old fashioned, A lot of abuse, verbal abuse, physical abuse, and that was the culture in those kitchens at that time. And also I have to say I was the youngest in the kitchen and I was not necessarily the best. And they were patient, but at the same time they were very abusive and and as you probably know in France, it was a philosophy behind it. First of all, it made no sense to me, but they wanted to break you psychologically and rebuild you as a champion, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 6: More an excuse to let the chef be abusive. And I have those tantrums and big aggressive and someone who's angry is it's not someone who's It's not a quality to be angry.
Speaker 4: Let's put it this way. So I learned. I learned the hard way.
Speaker 2: Do you think of giving up?
Speaker 4: Ever, No, I never thought of giving up.
Speaker 6: I was obviously at times down and not happy, but my vision of becoming the chef that I became was never compromised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, patient kept you, kept you going.
Speaker 6: It was, yes, But the ambition was not about being number one, being radied, or being The ambition was to cook great food and create an amazing experience. And it has always been my vision all my life.
Speaker 2: Stephen fry A memorable guest endured years of plan boarding school food craving sweets and treats. At Cambridge University, he joined the Footlights Student Review and was part of an acclaimed generation of actors including Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson. After university, new opportunities opened up, acting, traveling and eating exciting food in foreign places.
Speaker 5: We went to Edinburgh. We won this new prize called the Perrier Award for Comedy, and this involved going to Australia. Well sort of it didn't. The prize didn't, but because we won it, an Australian entrepreneur called Michael Edgeley saw our show and then said, you guys want to come out to Australia. And that's where I learned to eat, because it was an absolute revelation. This is nineteen eighty one, starting in Sydney. Doyles, of course, the amazing seafood place. You walk along the dunes and come to this beautiful shack where the food is, where things you've never heard of like Barre Mundy and Morton Bay bugs and all these extraordinary seafood things.
Speaker 8: But also oysters.
Speaker 5: I mean, oyster is so plentiful and not oh my goodness, I'm having oysters. I must be in Bentley's or in you know some posh you know London restaurant that does oysters. But it was, yeah, I have some oysters, mane, I have mine, rock a Feller or Killpatrick, you know, these different ways of preparing them. Kill Patrick across a favored of mine because it involved was the saurce.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: So I became really obsessed with oysters and would have and they were cheap sometimes you could That's the point. I have some plump, half a dozen plump Pacific oysters not cooked, and then half a dozen cooked Mornay Rockefeller and Kilpatrick with the bacon to kill Patrick. Yeah, and there were cheapest, cheapest chips. As people say we were, we were like for two months and traveling everywhere all the big cities in some of the crazy little towns like Albury, Wodonga, eating fabulous food, cheaply and happily. And the whole day really was around the fact we'd finished the show and what restaurant we're going to and but when I got by doing them, I was wandering around. So we were doing a TV show and I was feeling lucky and flushed with cash relatively compared to being a student, but not very rich. And I was wondering to say, when I was getting lost, as you do, and before you understand that, what's the cross street?
Speaker 8: And you know?
Speaker 5: And so I was going down this street called Greek Street, and I saw an attractive looking restaurant and the restaurant was called Les Gargo the Snail. And I wandered in and this fabulous woman about three foot tall came up to me and said hello, dear. I said, oh, it was obviously very nervous. She said, you come with me, and she sat me down. You'll know who I'm talking about, Ellen Salvatina, this amazing woman, phenomenal, and she sat me down and I said, I'm not and she chose for me, somehow, brilliantly, things that were just cheap enough for me to be able to afford. And so from then on, the richer I got, the luckier I got, I would go there. And this was in the high days of Let's Cargo. We know Princess Diana would go and all these people. But I remember once, for example, I was having dinner there with Ronakins and my friend Rowan is the wonderful comic great and Rowan is the most wonderful person in the world. But he's not a late night figure at all. In those days, I quite was. So we'd had dinner and it was like half Ust nine and Ron said, right, well, I'll get a cab and go home. And I thought, oh, well, I'll do the same. So I ordered a cab. His cab came first, and I was just about to leave and Ellen said, could you go and cheer up up John hurt? He's just left his wife, and he said, was all very unhappy and he needs a bit of cheering up.
Speaker 2: He was eating alone.
Speaker 5: So I sat down and there was John. Had you know I had to sit down and every now and again, then said your CAB's still here. I said, oh, tell him, I'll be five minutes.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We were getting home and the cab bill was two hundred and twenty pounds. And I saw John about a week later and said, I have told everyone I got hurt on Thursday night, and he said, well, I told everyone I got fried. I got to know him even better later because he moved to Norfolk.
Speaker 2: Was Europe at all an influence? Did you travel to France or Italy or did you do Greece? Was there any food experience from being in Europe?
Speaker 5: Just as I was really beginning to love food, I went with Rowan whom I mentioned. Ron Atkinson had bought a new Western Martin and I really think we should try this out, and so we booked ourselves an amazing holiday, going all the way down France through basically through as many three star, three Mechlin Star restaurants, so Mionaise outside Leon and Chappelle's restaurant, and then down to the MoU restaurants outside. Can you know in the column door which is not through star but it is one of the greatest restaurants in the world men, People who don't know. It's up from up from Cannes in the hills, and it's this beautiful, beautiful place. It's like your ideal image of a promenceal house with the tiles and everything else. But it has added to it these extraordinary pieces on the walls by Matisse and others and mirror and yeah, that's right, these extraordinary paintings because the original patron and his wife would allow the artists to give pictures instead of paying the bills. And it has since become, you know, one of the great restaurants of the world. Really it's atmosphere and for all its fame and uh, you know, they're not necessarily easy to get a table, especially during the Canned Film Festival or something. It is the friendliest, warmest place. It's really, you know, like all these good places there, you might think they're going to be frightening the River under the River Cafe, you won't find people looking snooterly at you at all. It's the opposite of good restaurant to have snootiness, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Gary Lineker is many things, an acclaimed sports broadcaster, one of the great heroes of football. One of his great joys is cooking for his family. Here he is talking about the culture of food within football.
Speaker 9: It's one of the great changes in football is the nutrition side of things absolute.
Speaker 8: I think it's a gradual change.
Speaker 9: I think understanding of what feeds the body, and more professional outlets to more money coming into the game so they could afford you know, clubs. Now, the staff around football clubs are extraordinary. When I played, you'd get you'd have a coach, a manager, a coach, maybe another one other coach, goalkeeping, coach, possibly you'll have a physio and they some clubs love a doctor.
Speaker 8: And that was about it.
Speaker 9: Now like there's there's there's probably are five people just do a nutrition alone. They'll have cooks every day cooking them food after training, in all those kinds of things. It's changed dramatically. When I was like, what you're doing for lunch, Well, we're going down the pub for.
Speaker 8: A pint and a pie before a game. Yeah well no, not before a game, after.
Speaker 9: Train, although al those some players, maybe some players maybe.
Speaker 2: Do you know what what what would be I mean for you as an athlete if you knew we had a game, what would you have for breakfast and what would you have lunch?
Speaker 9: Well, you wouldn't have lunch and breakfast probably a few playing at three o'clock, so you probably basically have like a brunch at eleven o'clock or stuff. I don't actually know what they do pretty much now because it used to be what you said, right, you need some carbs in you for the energy and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: But I think most of their diets is very healthy.
Speaker 9: If you look at football as they're all ripped now, like you know, all these abs everywhere. When I first started playing, we were told, whatever you do, don't don't do any upper body weight work because you're completely you know, you'll be all stiff and wooding on the pitch and you won't be as agile.
Speaker 8: Absolute complete nonsense.
Speaker 9: So you never saw players particularly kind of ripped and muscular in my day that you do now, because that's that was the thinking.
Speaker 2: I rarely talk about alcohol, you know, because this is mostly about food. But I was wondering about how do you combine discipline with pleasure? Because we've seen people like George Best. How do you combine being a twenty four year old with being somebody wanted to party, wanted to socialize, very handsome with being they are, and how do you combine that figure with pleasure.
Speaker 8: I wasn't there. I was never a big drinker. I didn't drink, I didn't go down.
Speaker 9: I wasn't one of those that went down the pub after training, unlike some. So I kind of looked after myself. I was very driven, very motivated, very ambitious to do better. So I tried to give myself the best chance. Yes, I'd like to night out with it with the best of them. But it's like most players, the vast majority of players understood that even then, you know, it's not really a great combination drinking loads of pipes and then playing in a couple of days time I didn't. Manager called John Wallace, so I was so terrified of that. He kind of stopped me doing any of that nonsense.
Speaker 2: And what about when you went to Barcelona?
Speaker 9: Arsona was fabulous. It was a great experience, a wonderful place to live.
Speaker 2: Was it the first experience in a foreign city or had you I'd.
Speaker 8: Been on holidays. I've been lots of holidays, but it was the first.
Speaker 9: You know, I didn't really contemplate going to live abroad, but then the opportunity came.
Speaker 2: You go by yourself.
Speaker 8: Got married just before we went.
Speaker 9: So I played the World Cup in eighty six in Mexico, came back, got married, went on honeymoon, went straight to Barcelona from.
Speaker 2: There three years. How did that affect your food and eating and all?
Speaker 8: I mean, I love the food there.
Speaker 2: Why did you love?
Speaker 8: I loved the fresh fish that was always available.
Speaker 9: I mean it's obviously you know you're living in a port there and some great restaurants. I loved tapas, I love pie, the beach. I mean we had an amazing lifestyle.
Speaker 8: We get up.
Speaker 9: I'd get up in the morning about nine something, go to the ground. We'd train for a you know, a couple of hours. By lunchtime you had done.
Speaker 8: Come home.
Speaker 9: We jump in the car, go to the beach club Castels at Fells.
Speaker 8: We'd have like a seafood and a pie here on the beach.
Speaker 9: We leave about five, get home about six o'clock, have a yester for two or three hours, and then go out for dinner, which you couldn't get in.
Speaker 8: A restaurant ten eleven.
Speaker 9: Twelve o'clock at night, because if you went to a restaurant in Barcelona back then, it's changed a bit. Now it's still late, but nothing like as nat as it used to be. If you went to a restaurant before ten o'clock, they'd either be empty or closed. But actually they what they do is they break up their sleep, so you then go home at one two o'clock in the morning and sleep for five six hours and then.
Speaker 2: It's totally different.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 8: It was totally different, but it was. It didn't take a long getting.
Speaker 2: Used to it didn't.
Speaker 8: It really does.
Speaker 2: Did you have kids at the.
Speaker 8: Time, No, even better? Good said we interested.
Speaker 2: And I once gave a party in London. We invited the mayor of Barcelona. He was in town and he said, I can't come for the piate, I'll come a little bit later. And so he didn't show up by you know, eleven o'clock, and so we thought, okay, it's not going and went to bed. At two thirty in the morning, the doorbell rang and he was like, expecting the party up here.
Speaker 8: I ran downstairs. So they just left.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a party, just it's a totally.
Speaker 9: Different It's like living with on a different time. Yeah, and it's only an hour different.
Speaker 2: But say, did you do it? What a game night then? So when you were when you were well.
Speaker 9: Sometimes the games sometimes you play kickoff will be like nine o'clock at night quite often, you know. And Sundays you used play at five o'clock. That was that was kind of their Saturday at three. So they often play on Sundays at five.
Speaker 2: Laura Dearn is a great actor and a great friend. She's a bold and brave spokesperson for women in the film industry. She cares about food and the politics of feeding people safely and sustainable. When Laura came to the River Cafe earlier this year, we talked about food and movies, working with the director David Lynch and the Southern food that her grandmother cooked for her.
Speaker 7: My mom being a single parent when my parents divorced and a working actress because of travel, my grandmother raised me when she was gone working, So a majority of my time was with my grandmother Mary, who's from Alabama, and she gave birth to my mom in Mississippi. And so the roots of my family are so tied to food and tradition in the South.
Speaker 2: Southern cooking is the region when we think about France and Italy and Britain having you know, the north of France has a very different cuisine from the south of France, and Piermonte has a very different cuisine from Sicily. And then you think about American food, do you think, well, there's a food of Vermont really different from the food of Ohio or but the food actually of the South has such a strong identity.
Speaker 7: So strong, and you what's beautiful is you watched the DNA of those traditions and where they came from, just like in the Great Lakes. You know, this a very Scandinavian focused American cuisine and the South, I mean, particularly in New Orleans. Obviously there's so much French influence, but there's also the influence of the American farmer. And what was incredible was in lower income families, the food was simpler and from the land that you had. But my grandmother was getting what she could from her fellow friends and farms locally.
Speaker 2: So it's did she move to LA to take care of you?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh she did. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it was very based in broad beans, kidney beans, okra, collared greens, rice, and you know, that.
Speaker 1: Was sort of the staple of your meal.
Speaker 7: But when she was in the South, especially when they were on the farm, the major meal of the day was breakfast, which was so wild. They would have like really like an early morning breakfast and then go out and work in the fields and then come.
Speaker 1: Back and have this huge breakfast at like.
Speaker 7: Ten in the morning because they'd already been working since four am. And I remember as a little girl when I would go visit my grandfather in Mississippi, and at ten am, it was corn bread and eggs and bacon and grits and collars and a coconut cake and a cake over a cake for breakfast with your coffee.
Speaker 2: You know, would this be weekdays as well?
Speaker 1: Every day for them? Every day, you know?
Speaker 7: But the Los Angeles version is like Sunday breakfast was like a big.
Speaker 2: Did you was your father in the kitchen or never? Never?
Speaker 7: Although my mom just told me that when they were first together in New York, he would cook on Sundays for all the unemployed actors, you know, and do like a big pasta spaghetti and meatballs or lamb chops or some kind of Sunday meal to help feed the other actors, and whoever was working would feed everybody. My mom came to New York with twenty dollars in her pocket and a little cardboard suitcase to become an actress from a tiny town in Mississippi, knowing no one. And she said, you know, you used to go in and if you ordered a beer, they would suggest, you know, order a beer because it'll fill your stomach, and the bartender would give them bread and butter.
Speaker 2: But coming out of this family where your grandmother cooked for you, where your mother cared about food, was there a time when you went off on your own and suddenly there was not that comfort food.
Speaker 7: Or a million percent I mean I started acting at eleven, and I was on location by myself at sixteen on and working on movies meant eating on the run and eating poorly and eating in small towns everywhere, And so it became what is provided to small town America, which was fast food, eating tragic.
Speaker 1: This isn't what y're starting in the late seventies.
Speaker 7: And I only.
Speaker 1: Discovered the gift.
Speaker 7: Of the connection between eating beautifully and food becoming a part of my artistic experience in the last decade because of heroes like you.
Speaker 2: Would you think that you could work or act or do what you do better if you actually had healthy food on a film set, or do you think it doesn't matter?
Speaker 7: Well, there are heroes in this movement, and I mean in music, I am so impressed thanks to Maggie Billie Eilish's mom, who is working so hard in terms of how to feed crew on music productions and touring. And there is a new model that a lot of incredible companies that are looking at zero waste are looking at sustainable models for catering. It's shifting and so we're trying to figure out on film production how to do that more and more.
Speaker 2: What was it like with David Lynch, because you talk about him a lot and you've worked with him a lot.
Speaker 7: Food wise, it matters to him and sharing a meal matters to him. And from the first time I worked with him, which was on Blue Velvet, I was seventeen, and those meals are some of my favorite memories, which was, you know, at night we go and we eat together. We find a couple of chefs in that town that become friends.
Speaker 1: They know what we love and we learn.
Speaker 7: What they make, and at the end of the day we'd always have a meal together.
Speaker 2: What about food in movies when you do a food scene? Ow other food scenes that you remember.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the one I remember the most was on this experimental film Inland Empire that we made some of that movie literally just the two of us, and we shot several days.
Speaker 1: In Paris, you and David Lynch.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Inland Empire is this radical journey movie. But we did a scene in a hotel room in Paris and it was this very long monologue me on a phone call and we'd sit down for our cafe olet and he wanted his penischokola and he would write on a legal pad and I would sit there and he would look at me like a painter and just be writing this monologue. And then he'd give it to me and he's like, now while I have my panasha cola, you learn your monologue. And it's like seven pages, and so I'm like, you better eat slow, buddy.
Speaker 10: So then i'd try to learn it and do a probably poor job.
Speaker 8: But attempt.
Speaker 7: And then we'd go to the hotel room and he would do my makeup or I would do my makeup, or we'd work on it together, and then he would set up the shot and we'd shoot the scene. And we shot this monologue and he was happy with it, and I was so exciting.
Speaker 1: He was like, we got it.
Speaker 7: And so then I went and I sat next to the bed. There was this little chair and the side table and there were two perfect.
Speaker 1: Ladree maquaron which that.
Speaker 7: Hotel would have provided, and there was a pistachio one. So the green was so beautiful and they bit into it. It was so fresh. And then he said, okay, now we'll do the close up and he set up the shine and he goes, where's the macaron.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: I ate it?
Speaker 1: He goes, you ate my props.
Speaker 10: So that's my biggest memory of food and working with David in a movie. I ate the prop and he was like, you have to go now to laderie and get a pistachio macaron I was.
Speaker 2: I was once in Mexico and I sat down and I was late for lunch, and there was the mayor of Mexico City, and I was so starving that I ate the crudy tay that was in the middle of the table. And the waiter came up and said, you just ate our floral arrangement, and I'd eaten somehow. I said, I need the floral arrangement, I think, and then guess what happened. My whole mouth went nam was part of that floral arrangement was some weird plant, and I thought, okay, I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die in this lunch with the mayor of Mexico because I ate the flower flower plant no called float something. Do you think about food a lot? Do you think what you're going to eat the next day? Or do you go to bed thinking, well, well I have when I wake up, or do you wake up and think what am I going to see?
Speaker 7: My son started cooking We've started having conversations that we never had before and challenging ourselves, you know, like how do we really make truly a great Cajun style red beans and rice? Because we talk about my grandmother and how i'd have red beans didn't, you know as a baby only Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there a food that you would go to for comfort?
Speaker 7: It always was cobbler growing up.
Speaker 2: A certain fruit or just any cobbler.
Speaker 1: Maybe peaches pieces.
Speaker 7: That would be, you know, because of remembering my grandmother's love of it and her taste, the taste of peaches and like that idea of summer and the scent of them. But I think for me now, comfort is.
Speaker 1: Community.
Speaker 2: Let's go eat, eat all right, Thank you, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Oh my god, that's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's all for this season of Ruthie's Table four. We will be back in the autumn with new conversations, new recipes and memories to share. Until then, have a wonderful summer.
Speaker 5: Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair