Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a brid egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg.
Speaker 2: Frida egg Frida egg bride egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and as always, following our major championship coverage, I am joined by the great Trevor Immelman. Uh to break down this year's US Open.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: That was a thrill ride of a Sunday with Wyndham Clark eventually holding on over Sam Burns to win the US Open, his second US Open title amidst a very unique and interesting crowd in New York.
Speaker 1: It was a bit hostile towards Window Clark.
Speaker 3: So we break down the tournament together and kind of talk about everything from Window Clark's you know, come back here, to the fan behavior and as well as you know, kind of all the other main characters at this year's US Open. But first, this episode is brought to you by our friends over at max Fi. They partnered with us for this entire US Open, and they have been a leader in golf equipment for over one hundred years. They have been known for innovation and excellence. I have been playing these golf balls. They are wonderful, They're durable, they are and they hit the right price point. They are a tour level ball for a price that is really palatable. At the cost of just thirty nine to ninety nine for a dozen. You can get these Maxfly Tour X Tour s or Tour ls Ball, all fantastic balls and if you buy two dozen, you get it for seventy dollars. There was a player in the field that was playing the Maxfly He is becoming a fixture on major championship leader boards. Ben Griffin is Maxifly's tour ambassador. They also have Sean Foley, one of the game's pre eminent teachers, as an ambassador on the range, as well as Lexi Thompson on the LPGA Tour. Ben Griffin played a great tournament, finished t seventeen and has been playing the max Fly ball for a couple of years now. While he's kind of blown up and become one of the top players on the PGA Tour. You can get Max Fly balls by visiting dix Or Golf Galaxy on in store or online. So check out the Maxly Tour series just a quick plug. The gloves are awesome too. I've been using the gloves and they've come out with some irons that look really, really delightful. I'm a big fan of a clean blade, and they have produced a clean blade that hearkens back to the old Maxly ass blades that were very very popular in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: So check out.
Speaker 3: Maxly in their products at dix Or Golf Galaxy online or in store.
Speaker 1: And really.
Speaker 3: It's a great golf ball. I've been super impressed with the distance, the spin, and the durability kind of the things that really the feel around the greens. I don't feel like I'm losing anything, If anything, I feel like I'm gaining stuff with the max fly ball. This podcast is also brought to you by t Mobile, the official five G network partner of the USGA and it's national championships, including last week's US Open.
Speaker 1: T Mobile brought.
Speaker 3: Advanced network solutions to support enhance video review and communication capabilities for USGA Rules of officials. When it mattered, most America's best network is now powering the USGA, providing reliable connectivity when major championships are on the line, giving officials across the course immediate access to information they need to assist in crucial rulings. Maybe it helped with Wakie Nevens eleven to learn more about how T mobile supports the USGA inside the ropes and provides excellent benefits to its members outside. Visit t dashmobile dot com slash USGA.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get.
Speaker 3: To Trevor Immlement. All right, Trevor, the twenty twenty sixth US Opens. In the books, Wyndham Clark had a really thrilling win. I think it was kind of a roller coaster ride for fans, not knowing really what's.
Speaker 1: Going to happen.
Speaker 3: And you, for the first time this year, were a real fan. You were watching from your couch, you weren't working the telecast. What are your big picture thoughts of the US Open and what was it like, you know, get this at your own schedule for the first time in a while for a major.
Speaker 2: Well, Andy, it was awesome. I mean, look, I'm such a golf nut that any way, shape or form that that I could be a part of it. I love it, whether I'm a fan at home sitting on the couch like I was for this US Open, or whether I'm on site working the broadcast. I just love seeing great historic golf courses, good tests for these guys, the biggest championships in the world. You know, you could really feel all week that it means something to be at Shinnecock. It means something to be able to play in the US Open, and so I got a real kick out of that. And then you add to that how it kind of works alongside Father's Day, which gives you an excuse to spend even more hours on the couch, and so I had a blast. Man. I thought the build up was fantastic, the anticipation of this great venue, with the weather and the wind, and how the golf course was going to play, who's inform, who's struggling, who can play in all these crosswinds. There was so much great build up to follow along with. And then, you know, the beauty of live sports is you never quite know what's going to happen once the tournament starts. And you know, the first day was obviously a little different to what we anticipated with that afternoon wave. Rarely getting a good break and having some great opportunities to make some birdies. But the USGA overall, for me, did a fantastic job. Man every day just started ratcheting up the pressure and the shot quality that these guys needed to hit in order to survive and make a few birdies. And so it was. It was marvelous. I loved it. I loved everything about it.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, if we zero in on the course before we get to window Clark and kind of the feet of winning his second US Open title, I felt like the knives were out from people that were kind of watching, uh not on the grounds.
Speaker 1: The knives were out, ready to pounce.
Speaker 3: And there's just, you know this I think sentiment that that's grown that the US Open. We want the carnage back in the US Open. And I think everybody anticipated Shinnacock being this car, this course that's going to dole out carnage, especially with the wind forecasts. And meanwhile you had this other organization that the last two times they've been at Shitacock, they've had some controversies in terms of the setup, and it was this kind of almost mismatch in expectations. I feel like from the from the fan to the to the the tournament host, and I think we got there at the end to where everybody it seemed like everybody was happy at the end, but it was it was a ride where there was some disgruntled fans or spectators or interested parties along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I mean looked like you say. A large part of that is because of the two previous US Opens that were held at Chinnecock Hills. Four. I played in that one, it was one of my first US Opens, and then eighteen where both times, you know, shucks. I remember in four getting to that seventh tee and having to wait on the tee as they were watering the green because guys were just putting it off into the bunker, and so they kind of lost the course that time around. Happened again in eighteen. Some some unbelievable footage there of interviews from players as they're coming off the greens. Remember Zach Johnson. You remember Phil running after the ball and hitting it while it's still moving. And so I think the usj were aware of that, and they knew that they had to get this right. They could not go three in a row and have something untoward happened, and so they were probably a little defensive, and I totally get that. I understand that, but I agree with you. You know, at the end of the week, you've got three players under par, winners at four under, and they did a marvelous job, great job just controlling the firmness. I would have loved to have seen the Greens' hair faster, but it's just so difficult when you're that close to the water to judge and know with certainty how strong the wind is going to be. And as you start getting the greens firmer, if that wind just kicks up a few miles an hour more than what you're anticipating or preparing for, then all of a sudden you may have to stop playing because balls are moving. And so I totally get it. And at the end of the week, I took my cap to the USGA and really appreciate what they did to get through the week unscathed and allow for a perfect championship to take place.
Speaker 3: For you, as somebody's who's played the vast majority of these US Open courses, I mean I think they've you know, they've pretty much locked in their their regular championship sites Shittacock Hills is a once to ten year site for them, which feels like kind of the right cadence for the club and the USGA in terms of after while it's fresh in your mind, where where do you think it falls in terms of the host sites that the USGA has.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's up there in so many ways. The history, the clubhouse, the golf course, the routing, the green complexes are phenomenal. I loved what Bodenhammer said earlier in the week in his press conference, which I thought was really cool when he explained, you know, the test in Shinnecock is it asks more questions and it gets tougher the closer you get to the green. In a lot of ways, it's a little bit like Augusta National in that sense where you've got a little bit of space, you've got some room to be an artist, but you know, when you get down to the greens, you're really going to have to have great nerve. And I enjoyed that aspect of it, and really even you can look to the final hole of the tournament, Wyndham's got this one shot lead. He doesn't hit the best of drives, He's coming out the rough. He's now got to guess how fast this ball is going to come out. He knows if he goes along, very difficult up and down, so he's trying to tiptoe up to the front and keep it on the green, does that and then still has such a difficult two put in order to win the tournament with all that pressure on the line. So it's just just a marvelous venue. And I think, you know, we're like the one in every ten years, one in every eight years. I kind of like that for a venue like Shinnecock Hills because it maintains the mystique about the place and it allows people to really look forward to getting to see it on TV or getting to see it as a fan if you get on site for the US Open. So I think it works really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the cadence of that.
Speaker 3: I'm not the biggest fan of the you know, we're going back to Pinehurst in two years, you know, I feel like that's almost too quick where it's you know, it was two years ago we watched that, and you know, given how big the country is and how many great golf courses there are in America, it feels like some regional diversity and course diversity is in there, you know now, and then you have, you know, on the other end of the spectrum. You know, what a venue I thought was marvelous a couple of years ago was the country Club and it seems like they're on the once every twenty year, you know.
Speaker 1: Kind of rotation. So it's interesting how they've set it up.
Speaker 3: I would agree with you about it being at the top or near the top. I think the thing that I took away from it is I really like and this is just a personal taste, and I think, you know, different people have different tastes, but I really like the venues where you can pass the first test, which is the t shot, where hey, if I'm driving the ball great at Shitnacock Hills, there's a real chance that I'll hit every shot on a day from the fairway, and if I'm driving it awesome making good decisions that feels like something that should be achievable if you have a spectacular day, you know. And with that though, that's where it gets so challenging. And as you said, you know, in both recounting Bodenhammer, you know, it gets more difficult the closer you get to the hole. And I think that's the fascinating thing about about Shitnacock is just there are real questions about where where do I lay this? And I think like we did a thing with Ben Griffin before the before the week where he was talking about ten and he went into a marvelous detail about the tenth hole about what what you know, you know, I could lay back, I could go down, and by the end you could tell he kind of got to this point and he said something along the lines of, you know, I don't really know what the right thing to do is. And I think there are a lot of situations at Shinnacock that leave you with that, yeah, of I'm not sure I played that right. If you made a birdie, you definitely think you played it right, but.
Speaker 1: Like you may not.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what makes it such a compelling venue in terms of, you know, the wind direction changes and it completely shifts the dynamics of of what to do or what you know is the ideal play on a given hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that tenth hole to me is it's got to be one of the best holes in championship golf. It's so much fun. You know, we don't see it all that often anymore. I know you and I are on the same side of the distance debate and technology debate, but it's not often you see anymore where the players of this generation have to think so much about strategy and trying to figure out what the best way is to unlock a golf hole and have an opportunity at the very least to make four pars in a hole and not blow yourself out of making a cut or blow yourself out of winning the tournament. And you know, we saw everything there. We saw mid irons off the tea, we saw fairway woods, we saw driving irons, we saw drivers, We saw guys laying back and leaving themselves one hundred and ninety yards to the hole. We saw Rory almost drive it on the green on Saturday, and then he missed the green on his second shot Like this. It's one of those holes where just bombing it way down there isn't always your best play, and unfortunately we see that a lot in this modern game. And so I just loved watching the tenth hole this week and seeing, you know, you consider how Wyndham played the tenth hole yesterday with the little chippy drive things weren't going He's way. It all made a nice up and down there at nine, but he had coughed up the majority of the lead and he hits up like a real golf shot off the tee, not a full steam driver. He took probably fifteen to twenty miles an hour of speed off for that and managed to coax it down that little funnel and get it running down there. And then the shot he's hit, the control and the amount of spin that he was able to generate from around seventy yards to get that ball to land into the ridge and then spin down to the hole. That was real golf right there. And the fact that he and Scotty both birdied that hole in the final round I thought was kind of fun because we saw so many players coming undone there throughout the week. I thoroughly enjoyed that tenth hole. It's a beauty.
Speaker 1: The tenth hole.
Speaker 3: It was super pivotal in the in the tournament and the last time we were at Shittacock we saw people just like basically lose the tournament on the first hole of their day on the tenth. This year on Saturday, you saw Rory that where he hits that mammoth ty shot almost drives the green, then he misses the green.
Speaker 1: He leads to bogie.
Speaker 3: That was kind of the start of the unraveling of him from in the hunt to out of the tournament. You saw Sam Burns, who is moving along and this is, I think what you alluded to. I was following that group and all of a sudden, I'm looking where he's hitting from. I'm like, what do you mishitted off the tee? Like how is he so far back? He has one hundred and ninety plus into the green and he has a really good shot, almost makes a birdie there. But then you and I'm looking at the flag and I'm like, I don't you know, this is something I think about, you know, with players that have reached the level that you've reached in your life, players that are playing there.
Speaker 1: I look at that flag and I'm like.
Speaker 3: There's nobody that's going to hit it remotely close to this flag. The other one yesterday that I looked at and I don't think anybody hit it really close to that I saw was fifteen. I'm you know, under no circumstances can you hit the ball close to this flag but without fail, you know, one of these freaks always hits it close to it and the Windom shot, I mean, what the Scottie shot right before I'm watching it on my phone. I'm like, my god, that was an incredible shot, and then Windham hits it. I couldn't believe the amount of spin he was able to generate on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know. It's uh, you know, playing at that level for a little while and now watching it really up up close and observing all the intricacies of it, you know, it is fascinating week after week to see the shots that these guys hit under this sort of pressure. I get a real kick out of watching. You go back to the tenth hole. You know, Windom clock played that hole in two under for the week. Sam Burns played that hole in one over for the week. So that's a three shot swing right there on the tenth. I just love it when the best players in the world get given options and then they can figure out how they can use their weapons with the elements that they have in that moment regarding firmness, wind, direction, where they are on the tournament, all that kind of stuff, and then have to pick an option and try and unlock a golf hole. To me, I think there's real artistry and beauty in that, and it's one of the things that I really love about this game.
Speaker 3: You know, years ago, when I was first getting to know our mutual friend Jeff Ogilvie, he said something to me that stuck and I hadn't put this together. He once said, he said to me, you know, one of the shames of golf is that we don't You don't that fans don't regularly get to see all the shots that we can hit, Like all the most of the golf courses don't ask questions hard enough where where the elite of the game hit all the shots that they can. And I think that's one of the enthralling things about Shinnakok. And you saw it play out, if you just wanted to examine Sunday, you saw some extraordinary shot making. You know, we've hit on this the shot by Windham on ten. But if you if you drill into the circumstance of like you just played a terrible nine, like pretty horrendous nine. There were a lot of bad shots. You know, you think about the way he played five, the way he's escaped on six. You know, the t shot on eight, you know, the way he scraped around a par on nine, and then you go to this tenth hole and it's the most demanding shot of all And I mean he took on a lot of risk with that shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pull it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that to me that you just took the word out of my mouth right there, Because when you give these guys options, you know, now it's it becomes like a risk assessment situation for them. And he's just played this terrible front nine of three over. He's lost all the momentum. The crowd has turned on him there against him. They want Sheffler or Burns or somebody else to win. And you know, so now he's weighing up what the options are. And when you have like this risk assessment decision to make now, doubt can creep in. And doubt is the biggest killer in any golfer's game, whether you're an eighteen handicapper or the best player in the world. When you're standing over a shot and you not totally can convinced that you're making the right play, that's when funky stuff starts to happen. And I mean he just faced it head on there, decided to go with the driver and it paid off for him, and that really jump started his his play and him getting his nose in front again and getting things going his way, and then he built up that nice cushion to be able to play the last two holes a little bit more defensively again.
Speaker 3: Obviously, one of the big stories about Windham is kind of how how the week went for Wyndam Clark. Obviously, on the right side of the draw. He came in playing you know, a number of terms that you called fantastic golf, playing some of the best golf of his career, on the lead, on the lead in he gets the right side of the draw and it leads to this wired wire victory of the US Open. But you know, in a I don't know if we'll ever see this again. A hostile America, hostile environment for an American playing his own national championship, where you know, the crowds.
Speaker 1: I it was honestly.
Speaker 3: Like moments where I was speechless of you know, the situation where he, you know, hits these great shots and there's like no applause.
Speaker 1: You know, he gets up and down on four.
Speaker 3: I stayed on seventeen to follow Burns, and you know, you you learn when you're following, you know, out you listen for things, and I just heard a sigh and I'm waiting for the telecast to catch up, and I hear a sigh, and I'm like, he must have made another bogey And so no, he made a fifteen foot or.
Speaker 1: For par.
Speaker 3: And I'm just am curious. Have you ever seen anything like that in your career?
Speaker 2: Ah? Gosh, I mean that's not really not really. I mean outside of like Ryder Cups and Presidents Cups where it's really patriotic and people are actively rooting foreign against a particular team. This was an interesting one. You know, I don't even know what my take is on this. Andy Uh. You know, it's been such a such an interesting ride for him in his professional career, and you know, obviously the things that jump out are, you know, he wins his first major at l ACC, and he wins the US Open there, taking down all the big dogs at the top of their game. So you know, that's that's an impressive feat right there. And then you know the issues that he has at Oakmont and Quayle holl and the way all of that was handled seemed to really bother a lot of fans and a lot of people, and that's that's rightly so, and that's fair. But it was just so fascinating to watch how he was received by, you know, a home crowd. It was it was so interesting, and you know, I think back to other sports. You think of, like a game that I love and grew up watching in South Africa's rugby. Right It's like it's one of the toughest sports out there, and these guys just go at each other for you know, more than an hour. It's it's eighty minutes, it's two halves. It's like the toughest sport you'll ever see, and no matter what happens at the end, the respect between the competitors and the fans congratulated whoever won is there. You feel it in the NHL, You feel it in hockey. You know, guys are basically trying to knock each other out on the ice, but the game finishes and they all, you know, they go down the line, they shake hands, they congratulate each other and move on. And I was wondering if that would happened yesterday, because you know, we felt it on Saturday, and then it built a little more on social media overnight and then came out Sunday, particularly with him playing with Scottie, and you could feel it from the jump that you know it was going to be a tough ride for him, and I think in a lot of ways that probably contributed to the bad front nine and it's why ten was maybe even up and down at nine, and then the birdy at ten was just so pivotal for him to like feel like he gets a little something going his way. But I was wondering whether, you know, as he's coming down to the finish line and he hits it on regulation in two at eighteen and he hits a pretty incredible putt just like you did at lacc up to tap in, you know, any one of us could have made that putt.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I was wondering how that moment would be received, Like would everybody finally then say, Okay, you know, we gave you out all we didn't weren't necessarily rooting for you today, but you've done it anyway, and great job. Congratulations the US Open champion. But it didn't feel like it really happened to me. That's what I felt watching broadcast. You were there, tell me about.
Speaker 1: It being there on the ground.
Speaker 3: I've never seen anything like it, you know, I think the Brighter Cup was it was it that was a nasty crowd. Yeah, where it was vulgar, it was it was way it was. It was things that you're taught as a kid, that you you don't say to other people. This one was just like openly. It felt more like if I was in a in a you know, if you're if you go to opposing stadium and you know, it's like a kind of like a good spirited you know, we're rooting against this guy is one team, we're rooting against them.
Speaker 1: But that's not really the way I feel like golf fandom normally works.
Speaker 3: And if I think about before I got into golf, people always used to be like, oh, you're into golf, Like who's your favorite player? And be like, well, I like like a bunch of guys, like here are the people I like, you know, But it wasn't ever like you're just kind of still enjoying watching someone that maybe not one of your favorite players play well, you like appreciate it.
Speaker 1: This crowd it felt like a what happens.
Speaker 3: It felt like when the Bears went to Lambeau and beat the packers, and there's this silence, like deafening silence when he hit the putt to tap in range. That was such a hard putt, ay as you call it, like He's hit two of the best lag putts I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Given the stakes in.
Speaker 3: My life with lacc in this one, I was, you know, similarly positioned.
Speaker 1: But for him to hit this putt that, like the.
Speaker 3: Golf fandom in that area has a fairly high IQ. For him to hit that good of a putt in that situation, needing to two putt and just leaving himself like the most casual mark had he basically he started celebrating as soon as he hit the putt. And for him to be met with zero like basically only his twelve people that all poured out on the green up cheering.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was one of the craziest situations I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It was so interesting. It was so interesting. But the game, the game is, the pro game has changed, you know, you speak about like the culture we grew up in and the etiquette we was taught we were taught growing up. You know, it's just it's it's not our grandfather's sport anymore. You know, it's changed. And you know what, I'm not I'm not here, by the way, saying that it's changed for the better or the worse. I'm just saying that it's different. And we have the game has exploded. Really, we have bunches of new fans that love it, which is great. We have gambling, which is certainly something that's new. We have social media, which adds a lot more noise and interaction and banter back and forth with people. We have players playing for tons more money, and so it's just different. It's just different. And yeah, it was, it was. It felt a little awkward to me watching it on TV.
Speaker 3: I you know, I completely agree with like the amount of discourse and the amount of information about players has never been greater. And and then you throw in the gambling aspect, where people have inherent rooting interests that are tied to to like their livelihoods in some cases, and you're going to get a completely different fan base, something that I've you know, Windom is not a like nobody in the world is perfect. And Windham I as the week kind of went on, and you know, Windham has like I don't think, like everybody's built to be in the spotlight. And Wyndham has done some things that are stupid, and I think he's be probably the first. He admitted it so much in his post round and in his you know post round after you know, every round, basically like, yeah, I've made mistakes and I haven't handled it well, but like that's what life is.
Speaker 1: He's thirty two years old, you know, this is not somebody. This is somebody that is still.
Speaker 3: Like becoming an adult, you know, like a fully formed person.
Speaker 1: And if you think about, like.
Speaker 3: What where I like have trouble like putting these two things together. I get like, if if Wyndham Clark is not your speed, that's fine, absolutely, But what I don't understand is how there isn't any how there's no nobody that could take the side of like, you know what, Like this guy is trying to put his life together and he's gone through a lot of stuff in yeah it's been self inflicted, but like, can we look in the mirror and think about how much self inflicted crap that we've all put ourselves through, because like everybody does this, you know, his has just happened to do it because he's famous, you know, and I'm not excusing anything he's done. But like, I think there's a level of, like everybody wants more personality and more interesting tour pros.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: There there's like, you know, if you talk about Scotty, everybody's always a dial tone. He just doesn't bring anything to the table. And it's like if you're saying that, and then you have this guy who's putting on USA Hockey jerseys at the Canadian Open talking about opening grape after he wins in Tech, Like I don't, like, I don't get what what everybody wants, because like, not everybody can be Rory, not everybody can be Scottie, And this is a unique character on the PGA tour. And like you can disagree with, you know, his political views, you can disagree with what he did with the Oakmont locker, but I guess like I was mystified that nobody was supporting him, Like.
Speaker 2: Nobody, Yeah, yeah, I felt the same way. You know, I agree with you that you know, we've all done stuff in our lives that we regret. Whether you doesn't matter what industry you're in. Chucks, I threw clubs, broke clubs at times. Am I proud of it? Absolutely? Not? Would I do. I wish I could have that moment on again and not do that. Absolutely was I completely disgusted in myself the moment I did it, for sure. But you know, you've just got to be able to, you know, maybe at times, give people some grace, allow allow for them to have some growth and understand those things that they did wrong and learn from that and do better the next time. And you know, it appears to me in all my interactions with him that he is doing that and that he has done that, and he must feel so much more at peace with himself, because let me tell you something, if you're not at peace with yourself, golf is not a sport that you're going to excel in. You know, you look at the way that he started to play in the last couple of months. I mean, he must he must be feeling a lot better about the adjustments and the growth that he's had and adjustments that he's made. And so, you know, you don't have to be a fan, absolutely not, but you do have to tip your cap to the fact that this guy's now a two time US Open champion. He's won twice in his last handful of starts, and you know, this time he went wired a wire, which in this day and age is so ridiculously difficult. Andy when you consider the noise that is around a major championship nowadays, from you know, think about it. How many people did Frida Egg have on site?
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: Five? So five of you guys, all the other podcasts, all the other members of the media, Like, there's just so much going on. And for you to be in that heat and really under that much scrutiny for a full week and hold the lead, is it's impressive to get it done.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's take a quick break and talk about our friends over at eight Sleep. One of the dynamics of life is you age as you find a partner, as you learn that you might like different things. And if you're battling over the thermostat at home, that's going to impact your sleep. One of the coolest products that I've tried is the eight Sleep pod. It allows you to kind of live in your own domain, in your own bed if you're sharing it. If you like it warmer, your partner likes a cooler. Eight Sleep has this smart mattress cover which has dual zone temperature control. Each side cools to fifty five degrees or heats to one hundred and ten degrees to set to whatever each person wants. No compromise. Sleep is super important. I you know, I'm on the road for the US Open.
Speaker 1: I don't have my eight Sleep pod. I feel it.
Speaker 3: I am worn down at the end of the week, and the most important thing you can do to recover night in, night out is get a good night of sleep. Eight Sleep helps you do that, So check out eightsleep dot com. You shouldn't have to compromise on sleep and the pod doesn't make you So if you use the promo code Frida Egg at eightsleep dot com slash Friday Egg, you'll get up to five hundred dollars off. And this is the fourth of July sale, so this offer use the promo code Frida Egg ends July twelfth, and you get thirty three days to try it at home. And if you don't love it, you can set it back, but I'm confident that you will. And if you have an HSA or FSA, the pod may qualify as a medical expense through Truemed and qualified customers save about thirty percent on average, so check your eligibility at trumed dot Com Slash eight Sleep before you buy, truemed is for qualified customers. HSA f SA tax savings vary. All right, here's a quick word from some of our other partners, and let's get back to Trevor Immulman. The other thing about about going wire to wire, obviously, is the golf course. You know, as you said, the late I mean the attention of a US Open, the late tea times with Windham, he's thirty two, he's seemingly he's seemingly if you follow his career to this late bloomer where you know he was expected to be this great collegiate player. He really became a great collegiate player in his in.
Speaker 1: His last year.
Speaker 3: You know, all the talk of LA was, oh, he's a late bloomer because he was playing opposite field events the year he won LA, and similarly this year he had lost his spot in signature events, which is a crazy thought of you were in the US Open, you won the US Open two years ago, and now you're you know, you're back to playing, you know, the the bottom tier of the PGA tour kind of schedule where he lost control, the ability to control his schedule before his US Open you know, his his major exemptions were up, and I think with Wyndham, I'm curious what what you think going forward. You know, he's got five wins, he's got two major championships, and he's thirty two. I mean, he's right in the middle of his prime. You know what, what are your expectations to move forward?
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I would say. We know for sure now he's got the toughness to be in the cauldron and still be able to find a way to win. He proved that to us this week. You know, the first one at LACC. You're trying to win your first major. Nobody knows. He doesn't even know how he's going to react, especially against that type of competition coming down the stretch, and he found a way to win. And so that sort of shows you, now, Okay, this guy's got a pretty high ceiling. He could go ahead and compete with the best in the biggest championships. This one he had, you know, everybody and their mothers and aunties rooting against him, and he still found a way to win. So we know he's got that mental toughness to be able to hang in there. He's got tons of power. I mean, people talk a lot about the big fade he does. What I've noticed, the more pressure he gets under, the more he starts to lean more and more on that fade because he just knows that he can hit that shot pretty much with certainty. And so then the question becomes, Okay, well can he start it far enough to the left to keep it on the whole that he's playned but tons of power? Unbelievable short gang chipping, pitching bunker play with, you know, not the most stylish technique. I mean, it looks pretty awkward at times, but the way the contact is and the strike is, and the way the ball flies and the way it reacts when it hits the green is great. Is really, really really great. And then now he's found this weapon over the last couple of months with this new putter, and he's starting to look more and more comfortable there. I think that was the thing that was rarely getting under his skin over the last couple of years, was just was not putting well at all when you look at the numbers, never ever getting any momentum there. So now he seems to have found something that he really likes. And you add that to the power, you add that to the good touch. You know, it's such an interesting question. There's so much recency biased whenever we do these pods or whenever you see a brilliant performance like this, you know, people ask how many more majors? You know, it's just not that easy to win majors. I would say number one. But he absolutely, you know, he's got the guts, man, And you know, you don't just have to be good teeter green and chipping and putting to win major championships, but you've got to have something pretty special deep inside to be able to handle moments like that, just because of the magnitude of it, whether it be external pressure or internal pressure, the fact that you grew up always wanting to win one of these, or win multiple majors, or have the opportunity and now it's right there on your doorstep and you can see the finish line. I mean, there's a lot that comes with that. And you know, he's proven twice now that he can go ahead and run through the tape. And to me, that is the thing that I lean on the most, thinking that he's gonna still be around for a while contending in these tournaments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: I feel like he's you know, if you look through his major record, he hasn't been in the mix very often. But you know, you go to LA and nobody expected him to win there, and all he did was hang in there, make a get up and down when he needed to get up and down. And you know, these weeks, these major weeks, you know, basically I go to the golf course, I'm there all day, and then when I get home, we podcast on shotguns start, and then that we talk about golf for two more hours.
Speaker 2: That sounds good.
Speaker 3: The thing that was resounding about Windham is like he's already been in this kind of exact position and he didn't spit the bit. And I feel like he's one of those players that when he gets near it and like you saw this at at Memorial, Like he played really really good at Memorial and.
Speaker 1: Just didn't get it done like I thought he.
Speaker 3: That was one of those tournaments where like a bounce here, a bounced there, and Wyndham Clark wins Memorial and he would have come in here off of two wins. And you know, I think he's just one of those guys that when he's in the mix, he's like a dog with a bone like he's not giving it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got that toughness, There's no doubt about it. You know. Could I see him contending at the PGA Championship Absolutely? Could I see him contending at the Open. Absolutely. You've got space to start it wherever you want to start it, as long as you can handle the cross wins. He's very very good at flying the ball down, like extremely good at that. You know, my aw question mark from a major championship standpoint would be in order for him to contend at the Masters, he probably would need to find at the very least a fairway wood shot that he can sling from right to left. Yeah, I mean you know that there's going to be there's going to be you know, two or three, maybe four shots off the tee at Augusta National where you need to move it from right to left. I mean ten and thirteen immediately jumped in your mind. You just you can't be hitting a big slice there and get away with it all week long. So if he finds a way to do that with a fairway word, you know, he doesn't necessarily need to do it with a driver, but if he can get some sort of three word that he can tip from right to left, then you know that one becomes available to him too because of how he chips and potts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it should be.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it'll be something fun to watch see where he goes outside of Windham.
Speaker 1: Who impressed you the most this weekend?
Speaker 2: And there's a couple. I thought Sam Burns was pretty impressive. You know, Sam Burns has been a been a very good player for a long time. Probably hasn't won as much as what he should with the talent that he has and the ability that he has. But he really played some solid golf man, particularly on Sunday. I thought some of those shots that he hit down the stretch. The shot into seventeen was high, high level.
Speaker 3: That's as good of a shot as I've seen. I lot a golf shot that was right behind him there, and I mean that wind that pin back left on a green, that.
Speaker 1: Is just the way it's angled. You know, if you're going to.
Speaker 3: Try and hit it at that left pin, you have to be committed to it wind off the left. And I think if somebody was going to critique Sam Burns as he's like Windham, he really likes to move that ball left or right, and man, that shot was beautiful. He just held that held a draw up there perfectly. The thing didn't leave the flag from the second it came off his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was brilliant. You look at the ball striking. He hit ten or fourteen fairwes, thirteen of eighteen greens around Shinnecock the final round of the US Open is pretty stellar. Uh So, I really do feel that even though he didn't win, he took a huge step forward for him that he's going to be able to lean on in the future. Uh So, I give him. I give him an A plus. I thought it was cool to see Tom kimback in the picture. He's been struggling for a while. I actually ran into him in the airport in Canada last Sunday night. He was heading to UH Shinnecock and had a nice week in UH in Canada and UH and then backed it up and really even you know, with five or six holes to play, he still had a shot on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Wait, real chance? I think, like you know, you look down.
Speaker 3: One of the brilliant things about Shittacok too, is like some major championship venues. You know, Tom Kim has to play just perfect golf in order to compete. And this is a of course we've talked about it a little bit with the optionality where a shorter hitter has options like these are places where you know, you look at you know, Tom Kim played well, Zach Blair finished in the top thirty, you know, the shortest player on PG on the PGA Tour. But the reality is like they're hitting the ball in a lot of similar places as you know, Rory's hitting the ball because of just the nature of of of shinnakok. And you know the thing that always impresses me and you you had you you captained him in a in a President's Cup, Tom Kim, When you see this, I mean I can't believe I say this. You see this at TGL when the chips are down and the and he has a putt, Yeah, you kind of feel like, as as someone who watches him a lot, I feel like it's going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He loves the spotlight. He just absolutely loves it. He thrives on it. He enjoys every single sickond of it. He enjoyed the opportunity to be able to do something great and he just hasn't been able to quite put himself in that position for a little while now, and so his rankings are plummeted. He's not playing in the tournaments that he rarely wants to be playing in, and this week is going to be massive for him to be able to change that and get into a position now we can compete week in and week out with some of the better players and have more of a shot at it. So this can be a huge confidence boost for him. I was really happy for him, impressed with him, happy for our international team come September. A couple of the others, Keith Mitchell, Nieman, Keith Mitchell really cool, love the guy. He's one of those guys that's out there weekend and week out, grinding it out, and so for him to give himself a shot and be in the hunt would have been a really special feeling for him. I thought he acquitted himself really well. I'm full seventies in a row. That's pretty cool. And then Nieman obviously is a big story because of the the eleven and fighting his way back into top ten, which is remarkable.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, I think outside of the eleven he played, he was six hundred part I mean, just a crazy turbment obviously got the the first USGA doled out misconduct penalty in that eleven two balls out of bound, a club throw, which which led to, you know, two stroke penalty. Remarkable, remarkable golf, and it's impossible. It's so easy to you know, Like I loved his response to you know, somebody asked him, you know what, you know, if you hadn't made this eleven, do you think about winning the tournament? And he said, you know, if my grandmother had wheels and an engine, she'd be a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great comeback, I thought he after the fact, once the penalty came down, and then he played the second round, played brilliantly, made the cut, which is just incredible when you add an eleven to the scorecard to still go ahead and keep it together. I thought he handled it extremely well in the media and showed great maturity. So, you know, that's impressive stuff. We've spoken many times about expecting more from him in major championships, and so now he's had a T seven with an eleven on the card. I mean, you know, the last few majors he started to play a little bitter. I'm wanting to say he's had another top ten. There's someway I needed and play the Masters this year. But at a very young age, Noll, he seems to be starting to figure out the formula at the biggest events with.
Speaker 3: Them played with Scotty. Obviously, Scotty his birthday in k he didn't hear, and he was going for the career Grand Slam, you know, and turned thirty, going for the career Grand Slam. He played his way into that final group and then you know, I think he just it was a week I felt where he was just a little often in a lot of aspects of the game. You know, from your eye, what did you see from Scotty's performance? And I think you know, you know, part of the Windom thing was him going up against Scotty in that final group, with all the things with Scotty, Scotty going for him, with his birthday, you know, the career first attempt at the career Grand Slam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once again, you know, it's another reason to tip your cap to wind him. I mean, he took down Rory at l a CC and now he's taken down Scotty at Chinnekok Hills. That's something that he will remember very, very fondly as he gets older and maybe even starts to slow down playing in however many years that's going to be. That's something that he'll really love to look back on. Regarding Scheffler, He's just right there. He's just right there, isn't he. It feels like it's so close, it's so close to being great. You have to acknowledge that he spoiled. He spoiled us. The guy spoiled us for three or four years with just some of the best golf we've seen, winning at a clip that is, you know, up there with the greats to have ever lived. You think about Tiger and Jack and some of these great seasons that people have had. Byron Nelson when he won all those tournaments, what did he went eighteen in a season, eleven in a row, DJ singh one nine times in a season. You know, the seasons that Scotty was having were right up there in that conversation, at least in the same bucket. And you know, this year he's only had the one win and been so extremely close so many times, and this just felt like another one of those where he was rarely at a high level but just wasn't quite where he needed to be And to me, the turning point was on Saturday, at the end of Saturday, when he had everything going and then he bogied seventeen and then missed the short put on eighteen, And I feel like, if he pods seventeen, you know, think about it, He's just birdied fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, and now like the crowd is revving and everybody's getting behind him, and the Grand Slam and all the history behind that. Everything was going his way, and then all of a sudden he boges seventeen and then misses the putt at eighteen, which you know, obviously, those pots are so difficult, Those holes are so difficult. The pots are so difficult when you're playing late in the day on Poeanna, the one on eighteen in particularly, he's coming straight down the hill. I mean, you're breathing on this pot. It's just got to be perfection with a little bit of luck involved as well. And you just kind of wanted to yourself if he had parted seventeen and birdied eighteen and been just that hair closer, you know, how would it have looked then? How would it have felt for Wyndham then with him with him just a bit more within breathing distance to start the final round.
Speaker 3: It's such marginal things, but that Saturday, while it started going the three birdies in a row, it felt so eerily similar to Quail Hollow On Saturday at Quail Hollow last year, where he played I think the last five five under that opened up this three shot lead. It was a different circumstance. But here he comes roaring back and like this is we talked. I think the thing and why we're all so deeply afflicted with the golf bug and the disease that it is is just the margins of the game are so narrow, no matter what level you're playing at. Oh and for Scotty it felt like this, like this roar almost where he's coming, you know, he's riding. And then seventeen it was it was a manageable up and down, he doesn't convert it. In eighteen he hits that tremendous drive and a spectacular wedge and he doesn't convert it, and it's like that the wind just kind of came out of his sails. And then then he's in this position where he has to chase a lot more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah to me, that was the difference if he had just got a little closer. And then you add to that the first hole on Sunday. You know, so when you combine those bogie at seventeen, the miss birdie at eighteen, and then he bogie's the first hole on Sunday, gosh, that that kind of was the tournament right there. For him. I feel like, you know it, it maybe unfair to over seventy two hole span to like drill down into that, but for me, you know, I can look past everything else but those three holes to finish Saturday and to start Sunday, that was tough. It was tough because he just didn't He kind of had wind them in his sights and on the ropes, and then he just let him get away. You know. It's kind of like when you're out fishing and you hook that nice fish, but you just don't set the hook properly and all of a sudden it's gone. And that, to me is kind of what it felt like.
Speaker 1: The first all.
Speaker 3: I was shocked at that miss from him, because you just don't see him usually miss those types of shots where you know he's in the fairway, but he's way back and that pin was just, you know, from where he was.
Speaker 1: I was looking at it.
Speaker 3: I was like, there's no way he's going to hit this within you know, fifteen eighteen feet, and it felt like he took it on like it was like it felt like he was trying to make like an emphatic statement like here I am, yeah, I'm going to be coming for you, and it, you know, it goes over and it leaves to that bogey.
Speaker 1: What do you look at all these close calls?
Speaker 3: Do you think there's something technically or mentally that that is just that's different about Scotty this year than the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's nitpicking, Andy, you know, it really is nitpicking when you look at I know, he hasn't won as many times as what we used to, but he still had a ton of opportunities and things haven't just quite full in his way. You know, it's it's absolutely netpicking. Does he look like he's as comfortable with his long game? Probably not. You know, we saw footage of earlier in the week here even at Chinnecock, where he's on the range with his coach and they're having a back and forth and they're discussing what looked to be something in his grip, which, as we all know, he spends the majority of his time working on just placing his hands exactly the way he wants on the club, which I just absolutely love it. I've never seen a great player spend that much time on their grip. But they were going back and forth on that, and so there seems to be something that he's just not quite happy with or that he feels is not allowing to be him to be as sharp as what he normally is. But his level is so high. He's still better than the majority of the others out there. And so that's that's why I say it's it's nitpicking, and I just feel like it's around the corner with him, you know, it's just, uh, it's something small that he can tweak and and all of a sudden he could win four or five times in a row.
Speaker 3: A question I I you, you've probably forgotten more about the golf swing than I'll ever know. As you age, your body just naturally changes.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering, have you.
Speaker 3: Could how does that change with your golf swing, which is obviously like just a body movement when you boil it down, it's just the way your body moves, and you're inevitably as you get older, your body composition changes, your flexibility changes.
Speaker 1: How how have you seen an of that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Could that be just you know, I saw Brandal doing something where's he's steeper than he used to be? You know, could it be just simply Hey, like I work on setup, I work like I think one of the things I've always admired so much with Scott is the diligence what you're saying, the diligence to just setting up, because that's one of the sneaky hardest things about golf. If you're setting up the same but just simply like fractionally, your body doesn't move the same way, that could throw off everything right.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely absolutely? And you know, do I agree with Brandal that he is slightly steeper? Yeah? Probably? To me, it shows up more when he's trying to turn one from right to left. You know, in the past, the swing would always look a little funky when he would try and hit the drawer because his finish was so different as he was trying to square the face through impact. But he would do it. This year, it seems to me like the drawshots that he's trying to hit, he kind of gets a little stuck late in the downswing and he leaves it out to the right more often. But to answer your question, yeah, it could absolutely be the body. And this is one of the funny things about our sport, you know, that's or shall I say, one of the things that makes our sport different to the others. I mean, there is no injury report, you know, we we don't know what's going on with his body. Scotty holds his cards very close to his chest. The rules don't make him have to disclose anything that he may or may not be going through body wise, and so who knows. Who knows what he could be feeling or something that could be niggling that has just not allowed him to drop that club into the spot that he played his apps Loot Best Gulf from. We just don't know. We also don't know that, you know, it could have been something that happened months ago and he got into a bad habit and he's just struggled to work his way through that back habit, bad habit to drop back into his sweet spot. So really, I mean, all of this is it's just a guess of us trying to figure it all out do I know that, you know, this guy is just so ridiculously good, and even when we talk here about him being slightly off, I mean that that level when he's slightly off is still so ridiculously high that any week given week, there's there's probably only you know, less than a handful of guys that compete him. And that's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: Extraordin where you know, the talk, you know, you just think about where he's gotten to that the talk you know, I I you know, you hate Tiger comparisons, and he's a different player than Tiger. He's thirty years old. He you know, he wasn't winning majors at at twenty one, you know, But that being said, they're the level of consistency, the bar that he has set. I don't think any player has been discussed like this where what's wrong with Scotty Scheffler is you know, you know, I think he's gone T two, T fourteen and this week he was T five, T four, T four, So that's that's the run, is what's wrong with Scotty Scheffler. When most players would look at that and say, that's about the best major best year I've had of my career. And that even great, great players would say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean he's he's remarkable, man, he really is. He's great. We're spoiled. We're spoiled by him.
Speaker 3: As you kind of examine the whole tournament, you know, and who we've discussed in and uh, were there was anybody did anybody positively surprise you? And was there any player you know that we haven't discussed that disappointed you with their performance?
Speaker 2: Well, how about i'll run through a few here. I'm just looking at the leaderboard. You know. I'm really happy for Gary Woodland T. Seven. That's great. I'm a huge Gary Woodland fan a year one of the coolest guys you will ever meet in your life. Uh. Justin Rose T eleven, he missed the cut in Canada. It just doesn't seem to matter how he plays in regular tournaments. When a major week comes along, he finds a way to have a solid week at this age. Got to give that a shout out. Well done there to Rosie. I think Aaron Raie finishing Tier eleven backing up the PGA Championship win is really cool. So I give those guys a real nice nod.
Speaker 1: It could be surprised the otherwise.
Speaker 2: Guys that I was surprised with their performance would be the Chamberne Ram really really surprised. I was very intrigued to see how Bryson would play at Schinecock, knowing how precise he had to be on approach, especially when the win starts to blow. So he's two time US Open champion, but I was very interested to see how he would manage manage his game around what that golf course asks for. And with regards Ram, I thought he was going to be one of the favorites to win the tournament.
Speaker 3: I mean with Rob two, the start he got off to you were sitting in perfect position, caught the right side of the wave, and then it just all fell apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That that totally caught me off. God, totally caught me off. God, if you had if we had done this podcast the week before the tournament and you asked me to give you five names of guys I think he could could win the US Open, he would have been in my top five.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think everybody's kind of shocked by it. I picked him to win, and you saw the four of it at the PGA, you just thought it was going to keep going, and you know, I think with both them it as kind of the flag bearers of LIVE.
Speaker 1: It cannot be easy.
Speaker 3: To play golf, like we we talked about with Wyndham, where when you're when you're not personally mentally in a great space, golf gets really hard. And you know, I think this is you know, one of the things that you know, they made their decisions and they you know, they got paid for their decisions.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, it does add.
Speaker 3: A layer to what's already an incredibly difficult sport and given you know, just it could can't be the best way to lead into these majors.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there is some evidence that playing on LIV doesn't necessarily hurt your chances in the majors. I mean, we've seen guys like Bryson and Brooks when he was playing there, when major championships while they're playing at LIV. I think right now what the challenge is. You know, we've all read the same reports of their funding issues and getting out there trying to figure out how they can keep things going. If they can do that, what the league actually looks like, I would say that is probably weighing quite heavily on these players' minds right now. We've seen a number of them rejoin the DP World Tour, so we can expect them to be playing some out there as well. But to me, the uncertainty if I was in that position, the uncertainty of where I'm going to play and what it's going to look like and if it's going to be around, would be something that would be bothering me. And so, you know, we're just not quite sure. We don't really have all the information to know how much it's affecting these guys and how much it's playing on their minds.
Speaker 3: Would you say, you know, as we look at this is kind of the dynamic of the new schedule, it's it's June, mid June, feels like summer just started. There's only one major left. Would you say that Rom's the player in your mind that that you know, kind of for their professional satisfaction, We'll say most needs a strong performance at Brokedale.
Speaker 2: Uh, you mean individually or you still? Yeah? You so you're not this is not from a live standpoint?
Speaker 1: Do you mean individually individually?
Speaker 2: No? I think it's Bryson. I think it's Bryson because he's missed the cut in all the majors so far this year.
Speaker 3: You got me the social posts up at the beginning of the week.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that, But to me, you know, he's the He's the one. I mean, Rom had a great run at it at the PGA Championship and really got himself in there and played some some beautiful golf. I think I think it's Bryson that needs to u to have a good Open Championship to least, you know, feel like he finishes the year with some some momentum going into the twenty twenty seven Majors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's the answer is one of the two of them, you know, in terms of just I you know, I think from from Rob's standpoint, you always go back to Bryson, I think has had these ups and downs throughout his career. Our friends over at no laying up have always you know, called Rom the booie, you know, and since it never he never goes underwater. Yeah, And I think for from his standpoint of of you know, at what point do we kind of you know, I don't I'm not ready to do this by a means, but what point is he not one of those that when you start naming guys you know, what point, does he not one of those first four or five guys that are listed off with best players in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. A lot of it. A lot of it depends on where he plays and how often he plays. You know, like you look, coming into the first couple of Majors this year, he was winning over it live and really competing well, and so he was one of the favorites coming in, and then after a disappointing Masters, you still felt like, Okay, well, you know, I expect maybe that was just a one off, and you know, at the PGA Championship he'll be right back in it. And then he didn't play well there, and now he didn't play well at the US Open, where he's had success in the past as a two time winner. So you know, a lot of it depends on how much he plays. You know, if he plays ten tournaments between now and the Masters and wins four of them, by the time the Masters rolls around, will be like, Okay, this guy is still one of our favorites. But if he doesn't play well at the Open and then we don't see very much of him until the Masters, you know, we rarely don't know what to expect from him at that point. So you know, a lot of it is going to depend on where these guys play and how much they play, they play and what their league looks like, you know, So we're going to learn that here over the next few months.
Speaker 3: I think personally, you know, this is I'd like to see Rob kind of have a have a little run allah Patrick Reid where he goes on to the DP World Tour and you know, a tour that he should dominate and goes and dominates and you know, kind of one of the nice things about it is that there's some big tournaments that don't conflict with with the you know, the existing lif schedule that you could play it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's gonna be very interesting obviously, you know, for both of those guys, but in particular John Rohm. You know, he's gonna have to play a certain amount of tournaments to try and get on that ryde A Cup team, which he should be and which we all know that he wants to be and we all know that Luke Donald wants him to be, and so you know, I anticipate him playing enough tournaments to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, Trevor it was great chatting with you. Great to break down another major championship. I can't believe we're we're done with three. We'll have to discuss the big news with the golf ball and the USKA another time. I wasn't going to open that box of rocks at over an hour in Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you didn't.
Speaker 3: But uh, look at miss your messy on the on the telecast. But uh, and we'll mess you for for the uh for the Open. But always exciting and fun to chat chat through things. And you're you're heading over to Scotland. Any plans to play a little golf while you're over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do have some plans. We're looking forward to it. It's a tournament that we absolutely love being a part of at CBS. We love going over to the Scottish Open. We've had a bunch of great finishes there over the years, so it's going to be a strong field, which is great, and uh, it's a it's a it's a wonderful leading to the the Open Championship week. So yeah, I'll be over there playing a little golf and then getting ready for the weekend broadcast.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then I'll be watching the Open on TV UH and UH, and then we go on a run all the way through the end of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So then we got the peekat President's right.
Speaker 2: We're working hard on that. Jeff is absolutely crushing it at this point. Really excited for him huge. I'm a huge, huge fan of his and I think he's going to do a great job. And you know, I'm looking forward to that week. It's going to be awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous.
Speaker 3: I saw you guys signed up a golf loving, world class chef to the for the team chef that that's uh, you know, a chef of one of the one of the great Chicago restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that that news was was extremely well received in our squad. It's gonna it's gonna be such a great week. The weather that time of year, as you know, should be wonderful. The new golf courses and the changes to to Ma Dina Country Club are just spectacular. I I I can't see why there just wouldn't be tons and tons of fans out there enjoying the weather, enjoying the course, enjoying the action and the intensity and excitement of it. So I hope everybody knocks it out the park. Man, I'm really looking forward to you.
Speaker 3: Know, the quickest way to win over that Chicago fan base would that time of year would be would be getting getting your boys and Bears uniforms. I'm just gonna you know, if you want to do some charm offensive. It worked for the Europeans a little bit, and New York go on the charm offensive. Guess get some Bears uniforms. I think you can win over the crowd.
Speaker 2: Is that the Indiana baz you speak on?
Speaker 1: They'll be the Chicago Bears this year?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, yeah, Look, it's gonna be awesome. It's gonna be so awesome. H What a sports town, what a place. Really really looking forward to that week.
Speaker 1: All Right, we'll talk to you after the Open. Trevor, thanks as always.
Speaker 2: All right, boys, good to shall with you.
Speaker 3: All Right, that does it for this US Open recap. We had a couple technical difficulties, so we worked through it. And the only way we were able to work through it is our great producer PJ Clark. Big thanks to Pj. He was grinding this week. Last week he did the Hunter Hole hike. This week he had us all in Long Island, and he was on the ones and twoes almost every night for Shotgun Start. Big thanks to PJ for a hard week of work and producing this podcast, getting this all together and out on Monday night, so we'll be back next week. And thank you as always for listening to the Friday Golf podcast. Se