Speaker 1: Wednesday, August seventh, and Team USA still on top. US athletes have now won a total of eighty six Olympic medals. China has fifty nine medals, and France remains in third place with forty eight medals. And France actually didn't pick up a medal at all during competition yesterday.
Speaker 2: Woan wow when well, welcome to this tea from Perry edition of Amy and TJ. Everybody. Team USA also now leads in the gold medal count, and two of those came in dramatic and spectacular fashion yesterday. That's right.
Speaker 1: The first was in the fifteen hundred final where American Cole Hawker pulled off a stunning upset, and then in the women's two hundred meter final where American Gabby Thomas dominated. But after her win, did anyone notice how the commentators spoke about her?
Speaker 2: Also in this episode, the women's floor final that had all that scoring drama, remember well that drama ain't over yet. Could Jordan Childs actually have her bronze medal taken away? After Romania Lodge is a protest to once again review scores. This as Romania's Prime Minister says he's going to now boycott the closing ceremony.
Speaker 1: And the US women's soccer team continues to be the most fun and anxiety inducing team to watch. Plus gold medals for two athletes yesterday whose names you probably do not know, but they might be the two most dominant athletes at the Olympics. And what exactly is the steeple chase? Why is it in the Olympics? And why is there a puddle of water right in the middle of the track.
Speaker 2: It's a fun one to watch, but it is a little weird, even people that run and have fun about calling it weird. We just thought we'd give you a little steeplechase history here in just a bit. We'll get into that in a second. But every morning here, as per usual, we are watching live events and you make fun of me because you usually come out and I'll tell you what I've been crying about in the morning, and what did we just see? And what did you just say? Right the final? And you we will.
Speaker 1: We've been watching speed climbing, and really all of the climbing, but the speed climbing is so much fun. It's over with in less than six seconds usually, and it's just a fun nail biting on the edge of your seat event. And so we just saw the women's finals and we won't say who won, but it was a very sweet moment when she won gold and came out and I guess it was her boyfriend or her husband. I don't know, but just to see the love and his excitement for her and her excitement at winning, it was just it was those are the beautiful moments, and you find yourself getting swept up in the emotion of it and tears falling down your face for an athlete who wasn't even one of your country men or women.
Speaker 2: Why do girls do that? I'm looking at you right now, folks. You all can't see robes, but just you talking about her and her boyfriend. You just you did your shoulders up, did you talk to her boyfriend?
Speaker 1: You did a little You're right, you know, that's what it is. And I love seeing these athletes getting because they couldn't do what they do probably if they didn't have the support of the people around them. So it's just fun. You know, we haven't seen fans, We haven't seen boyfriends and girlfriends and moms and dads being able to be there and supporting their athletes. So it's just been so that's what's been missing in the last couple of Olympics, and so to see it all now on display, it just it's extra beautiful.
Speaker 2: You're right. It is added to the enjoyment of watching these Olympics, certainly versus the last one. I think the numbers have proven that as well as far as the ratings. But the other thing we watched yesterday, and I don't know why we've been missing. We should have prioritized this more, the synchronized swimming or artistic swimming, sorry, artistic swimming, but we caught a little bit of it yesterday and I'm like, wow, I've been missing this.
Speaker 1: It's remarkable. It's basically taking all of the talent of Olympic swimmers and all of the talent of Olympic gymnasts and putting them together. I mean, I think it's remarkable what they're able to do, how they're able to be upside down in the water and mimicking exactly what their teammates are doing. I am blown away and spectacular all at the same time.
Speaker 2: I think I have missed I think the sport has changed a lot since I was watching it. Most because I cover some Olympics, and I've done some work with synchronized swimming teams and interviews, and I studied a little bit, but the how elaborate the routine is getting into the water is what I am like a little more.
Speaker 1: We were laughing because it's there's something odd about all of these people kind of looking exactly alike and then doing the exact same thing. It doesn't seem real, but remarkably it is. And this year men two men I think can be on each team, which is a new development from Olympics past. But it is definitely worth watching.
Speaker 2: But the last shout out here in the coverage, and maybe you all have noticed again, Robes, you've been to a lot of Olympics. I've just been to or just been to a couple. I don't remember. The athlete moment, the thing they have set up when the athlete performs and they can look and have like a FaceTime with their families somewhere else. That is a huge spin. Is that's a cute nugget.
Speaker 1: Yes, at this Olympics, when they're kind of coming in and out of competition, they can go to the family cam basically and the athletes either who are about to compete, or who have just competed, can go and FaceTime with multiple family members. Sometimes you'll see, you know, the high school gym filled with you know, all of the kids. They're rooting on their hometown athlete. But it's been really nice. I don't remember seeing that in the Olympics past.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: It would have been great. Actually, given COVID, that would have been perfect, but I don't remember that being a part of it.
Speaker 2: It is so cool to see that. It's just just as NonStop Alympic moments, no matter if they're American athletes or not. This has been really, really fun. But yesterday we got a lot happening on the track, a really big day on the track yesterday, and everybody kind of delivered. Maybe not a couple of athletes, but certainly the races we were watching they delivered the way they were supposed to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the men's fifteen hundred meter was being heralded as the must see race, and it did not disappointed. To your point, it was supposed to be epic. It was supposed to be a vicious race between the superstars of the fifteen hundred meters, the reigning Olympic Olympic champion from Norway and the current world champion from Great Britain. But all of a sudden, the little American with the man bun crashed their party. We're talking about Cole Hawker or Hoker as the it was trying me crazy. He was calling him hokah, like the shoe. I was like, no, it's Hawker. I know you're British, but you're going to have to lean into the fact that his name is Cole Hawker.
Speaker 2: It took away from our viewing experience because Rope was against so pissed that the guy kept calling them Cole Hoker.
Speaker 1: This is your moment, and the guy is mispronouncing his name pretty atrociously. And look, we've all mispronounced the name. But what I was frustrated by is his American counterparts were clearly then saying his name right, and he just continued to say hokah instead of Hawker.
Speaker 2: Okay, You'll see where I'm coming from and see what I'm dealing with. But Cole Hawker. He pulled off what is one of the biggest upsets of the Games, probably the biggest upset of track and field. He chased down the favorites in the final stretch and he wins the goal. This had been talked about a lot, and most of the talk had been about athletes other than Cole Hawker. The race feature too high profile and these are kind of some bad ass dudes. Even looking at him, the guy from the Great the brit I think, or is he hi? Or where is he from? But Josh Kurr is his name? Sure, he's great Britton. Okay, he's the current world champion. Now if you look at him, he just looks like a cool, tough dude. He just looks like kind of a badass.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Jacob Inga Britzton of Norway won gold in this event in Tokyo. So those two for the past couple of years been going back and forth on the track, and they've been going back and forth in media, kind of drawing any Yeah, The.
Speaker 1: Washington Post had a headline that said the Olympics spiciest rivals run fast, then run their mouths like I think it's pretty well determined that they genuinely do not like each other and aren't afraid to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Run fast, run their mouths, then got beat by an American is exactly what happened. So Jake Inger Britson of Norway. He was ahead the entire race for the most part. He just jumped out there and set the pace. But then he got run down by a couple of Americans, of course Cole Hawker among them. He didn't even place. He didn't even get amo got fourth place up and fourth and then the other dude first position.
Speaker 1: Ever, according to TJ it is probably for him, especially so.
Speaker 2: He's hid fourth and then the other guy ends up in second. But yeah, Cole Hawker with the little man bun back there, that was a huge, huge upset and to see him close and how he did it not three seconds off his own personal best, set a record in the making. Congrats to him, and this is an unexpected one.
Speaker 1: It was a fun one to watch. We were screaming and it was I loved it from start to finish. Also, right after that race, we got a treat. We got to see Gabby Thomas. Her race went a little differently, but the result was the same. She got gold. It just didn't have any drama, which actually I appreciate it, I think after the fifteen hundred meter but she came around the turn in the two hundred meter final and it just she glided away from her competitors. It didn't even look like she was working hard. You could see everyone behind her. It looked like they, I mean, they were running for their lives, and it looked like she was just enjoying a lovely stroll down the track. I mean, it was just effortless. Obviously it's obviously not effortless, but she made it look like that, and she just dominated.
Speaker 2: And she again she was one who is expected. She has dominated the past couple of years in this race. She also won the bronze in Tokyo, so there were high expectations for her. And Julian Alfred is the one who won the fastest woman in the world won one hundred meter of course beach carry Richardson in that race. She ends up with a silver medal. Here she's from Saint Lucia. That means now Saint Lucia has in the country's history, won two Olympic medals. And where will those two? Whose house will they be at?
Speaker 1: Julian Alfred's house. Yes, won them both, and you know, I just love seeing her. She has such a warmth about her. Could she was and she was a distant second, which was kind of remarkable given her fastest woman in the world title, I know for that one hundred meter race, but just even watching Julian and watching Gabby interact was awesome. They're just everyone is there supporting each other, and that's what I love to see.
Speaker 2: And we wanted to hug Gabby Thomas. It was funny watching her. Right after we were like, where is somebody where she had family? Friends?
Speaker 1: Everybody went to their family, and I was like, why she was doing her victory laps as she should, but we were waiting to see who she would end up, and finally she did find her family. We felt better.
Speaker 2: But during that happy moment we were watching, we were smiling. She rang the bell. Of course, she got the flag around and she's reunited with a family. But we were listening to a discussion from the commentators, and it was a discussion that ended up being pretty shocking, frankly from our vantage point, and I'm sure a lot of people caught it, and I'm sure a lot of people didn't catch it, didn't think anything of it, but it delved into some highly offensive but all too familiar language used against African Americans. Now, we do not we're not trying to call out these commentators. We don't want to use their names. You want to go track them down, that's on you. But it's the point here is not to lodge a criticism. But I guess it's it's Robes. It was shocking to me and it was hurtful to me to hear it, and it sucked for Gabby Thomas. And it's also shocking. Sometimes we have people put their foot in the mouth. It's one person has one offhand comment in one moment. I was surprised to see three people kind of engage in the same conversation and nobody seemed to understand what they were saying. Now, I'll we have the exact because I don't want to put words in their mouths. So you got a playboy play guy, you got a female commentator, you got a male commentator in there, and robes you take you know, I put it in their verbatim. What sparked the conversation from the play by play.
Speaker 1: Guy, Well, they were talking about Gabby Thomas's win and what that will mean for the coverage of athletics in America. How big will she be and especially in connection to or in comparison to Shakrrie Richardson, who has obviously dominated all of the advertisements and much of America, and the advertisers pin their hopes on her becoming the fastest woman in the world. So she's been the one you see her face everywhere. Well, now that we have Gabby Thomas, who we should note is a beautiful woman. And in that sense, they were saying, how will these two women compare? How will American media? How will American businesses treat both of them? Now? Given all of.
Speaker 2: Things, okay, and this was important, I wanted to give folks you altho verbatim because I don't want you all to think we're putting words in their mouths. The play by play guy said, quote, what will this mean for coverage of athletics in America? How big will Gabby Thomas be now in connection and in relation to sha Carrie Richardson? In quote, that's the question. The female commentator comes back and responds and I quote, you know, Gabby Thomas is sort of that American dream. She goes to Harvard and she gets this wonderful degree. She's awesome on the track, but she's even better off the track. She wants to give back in quote now roads At that point my mood changed and I looked at you, and you looked at me back, like him, what's going on? And you started to pay a little closer.
Speaker 1: Attention, right you Actually you actually got up out of the couch and I was watching with Annili's we were both listening my daughter, and you got about the couch and you put your hand over your head and went ah, and you made a noise, and I said, what what's going on? And you just kind of pointed to the TV. So then we perked up and listened.
Speaker 2: It continued, so the next commentator in the room, and you could take this one herie, and again, folks, it's important because we don't want to be putting words in people's mouths. You in turke of them how you want to. But the may after the female commentator makes the comments about Yabby Thomas going to Harvard and she's the American dream. The male commentator follows up.
Speaker 1: He says, like Alison Felix, she's already kind of a glamorous figure in the States, and she is almost every time you talk about her story as a champion and how fast she is. It comes with all these other things that she is this Harvard grad that she went to med school, and she did these things in volunteering during the week after training, and so much of that story is this person in full. And I think that's a great thing to sell. It will sell, It will sell in every boardroom in America. And I think she becomes huge, and I think she's an example to every girl that this is what you can be as a whole, not just as an athlete.
Speaker 2: Follow up by the play by play guy and I quote a glowing character reference for Gabby Thomas, who is sure to be a big star. She does seem from a neutral's point of view, she seems articulate, She seems intell, she seems passionate about her sport. At this point, I got up and I walked out onto the balcony in ninety degree weather to cool down.
Speaker 1: That's right, and so I would not have noticed probably anything wrong or anything that seemed offensive until I heard the play by play guy say she seems articulate and that obviously I knew was a ding ding ding ding. But the crazy thing is you felt it, you heard it, you heard where they were going, you saw where they were headed. In their commentary and then when it was sealed with the articulate, seems intelligent, seems like that just all of a sudden AILSA and I went, oh my god, he did not just say that.
Speaker 2: So and folks, we read this exactly how it was said on television. Maybe you called it, maybe you didn't, but take note of it and take note of your reaction to it, because there will be some people out there at all you're making too much of it. Oh, they didn't mean that, or they're just well meaning. I don't know any of these people personally. I'm this non indictment of who they are, but it got me when they try to Initially, his first question in comparing Gabby Thomas to Sha Carrie Richardson, when you want to compare them, and then they start to elevate Gabby because she's this, she's this, she's this, she's this, she's this. And what I hear in that, and what we often hear in these things, is she's not this type of black. She's not this type of black that I think of. She's not this negative, she's not this dirty, she's not tattooed, she doesn't have the nails, she doesn't have the hair.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have the bravado, she didn't get caught with marijuana.
Speaker 2: She they're saying, this is a black person that White America can accept, and that's what we hear all the time, and this is this is constant. So the Shakiri comparison got in My ears perked up and I said, please don't do this, and then to button that up with the biggest moment this woman ever had. What you're saying is that this woman doesn't fit your negative stereotype of black folks because she is articulate. Because that's not what I usually think about black folks. So this stands out. So let me point it out. You don't ever white folks don't get described like that, and Robs. You and I have talked plenty here about me being in all those meetings at the network and how many times when somebody pitches a story and it's a black person who is the main business owner or whatever it is, and they have to follow up. Now he's articulate, Now he speaks well. I talked to him earlier and he's really well spoken. They're giving all of my white producers say it's okay, he's black, but it's okay it's okay, we can put him on TV. That Ugh, it drives me crazy. And I couldn't believe it was happening on a world stage with three people just openly kind of discussing it. It caught me by surprise yesterday.
Speaker 1: And you just put that so perfectly. And I think anytime anyone wants to say, well, they were just talking about how great she was, they were just you know, listing her accolades off the track. But the reality is, would they do that and would they compare to white male athletes like that? I talk about there, well, who's more marketable than the other? That in and of itself is offensive and I get it, and I didn't get it at first, and then I started to see your face and I started listening differently, and it sounded differently. And the truth is, I think a lot of people heard that and didn't think anything of it and thought that was just genuine praise for someone who deserves it. But there's so much more to it. And I think it's amazing that you can point that out and people can maybe hear it differently and think about how they're listening to things and how they're actually approaching certain subjects and rethink it and why am I thinking like this, and why would I think it's okay to say that?
Speaker 2: But on the biggest stage in the world, they perpetuated this idea that this this one's okay and this one is not, and that it drove me crazy. He goes back to the classic of a Biden example of talking about Obama. You got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean. He said that about President Obama, and he later apologized, But it's it makes a suggestion that black folks are only marketable or acceptable to white America or mainstream America if they have some distance from the struggles of the black community. Harvard Right volunteers at a medical said all these things which are wonderful about her, but that's not the only thing that makes a black person marketable or we don't all have that experience, And its just it sucked.
Speaker 1: I just got chills listening to you say that. So I'm really glad that you did say it, and I hope that people you know, just it's something to think about, and I think that's an important and important thing to say.
Speaker 2: Can we get back to regular drama?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got a lot dramas. I mean, this is insane, the gymnastics scoring drama. So the judges, it looks like the judges got it wrong. I mean, I think that's indisputable at this point when it came to the floor exercise. But if you haven't read into this, this is so complicated. What happens now if the judges did get it wrong and the floor exercise that happened on Monday, well a lot is happening. The Romanian Prime minister says he is going to boycott the closing ceremonies, and athletes says she is quitting the sport altogether at the age of seventeen. There are letters of protests that have been sent, Requests for legal action are in play, and there is a tremendous amount of hate online that it's just it's it's sad. Look, most of you already know by now that Jordan Chiles scored initially a thirteen point six sixty six, falling to fifth place on the floor exercise behind Romanias, Anna Barbosu and Sabrina Vogna. They tied with a thirteen point seven. Team USA puts in an inquiry about Jordan's difficulty score. The judges decided to award her back that tenth of a point, and that gave Jordan Chiles a thirteen point seven to six. It gave her the bronze medal. Okay, following me so far, I just it's this is a crazy story. It was a heartbreaking moment for the Romanians. They haven't won a medal in gymnastic since twenty twelve. Anna had already had the Romanian flag draped around her. She was celebrating her bronze when the new score posted and she realized she had lost it. Okay, so fans go to social media, they're reacting, they're looking at the videos of their performances, and it was the fans who initially determined it was actually the other Romanian gymnast, Sabrina, who they believe now was actually wrong. Judges took away a tenth of a point from her routine for stepping out of bounds. But there are videos and pictures famous Romanian legend Nadia Komen each putting it out there that show she was not out of bounds, and in fact, in the primetime reairing of her routine, the NBC commentators reported that she did not step out of bounds. So now Sabrina's floor exercise could be reanalyzed by the International Gymnastics Federation. The head of the Romanian Olympic Committee sent a letter of protest. They want to rescore of her routine. If the Federation did that, they could then bring the review to the Court of Arbitration for Sports. This is just crazy, and if she was rescored, she could get that tenth of a point back, which would bring her score to thirteen point eight, which would put her back in third place the bronze medal. The medals were already awarded, and there is a precedent for this. There is just a way they operate here at the Olympics. There was a long standing view that the athletic results must be determined by the field of play decisions, not by court rulings. So most people believe that Jordan Childs, regardless of who reviews what or who rescores what, will keep her bronze medal and will stay in third place. But because of all of this, seventeen year old Sabrina says she's quitting gymnastics, and as you might imagine, Jordan Chiles is getting a tremendous amount of hate online, rising to the level where her own mother went on to Twitter and asked people to please stop, to please stop bullying her child.
Speaker 2: This Look, this is gone. I don't know how far it is going to go. We talk about whether or not Jordan could lose her brond. That's not going to happen. There is president impossible that scores could change later and somebody else could receive a bronze, but it's not. It's not going to be not going to take one off her neck and give it to somebody else. That's done, so we don't expect that sssarily, But it just keeps going and going and going. And to your point, I haven't looked at a lot of it, you know, I don't look at social media a lot these days. But the things that are going around, and look, Americans are very supportive of of Jordan Childs, obviously, but folks all over the world looking at I assume, right the Americans cheating in some way, getting away with something, or scoring somebody over. It's just it's always some kind of scoring controversy when you have subjective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jordan had nothing to do with the scoring. Controversy, so to put any sort of hate or anger towards her is completely misguided and completely inappropriate.
Speaker 2: And don't have it right. They have they can. They can only review. They can't review your execution, but they can review your what you're like a technical skill, they can. It's something about the real I'm still learning about inquiries, which are common apparently in yes, gymnastics, so nothing new, but we are all getting to update on rules these days. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just hope people can just save any of that hate, you know, and just don't hits end, don't publish, don't put out so much negativity. I just I feel for her because you know, it's sad for Romania. But Jordan Chiles should be able to celebrate her bronze medal regardless. So anyway, I know there was a lot of celebrating going on. US Women's soccer. Wow, we were jumping up and down. It took a while, but we finally won. It took all a long while.
Speaker 2: It took a full almost it did take full time, but then extra time. It went to overtime in this one and didn't took to the ninety fifth minute before the US women finally scored, so they ended up beating Germany yesterday one nil. They played Germany in the group stage, you might remember, and they won that one four to one. Germany is actually a higher ranked team in the world than the US. They ranked fourth, US is ranked fifth. Didn't look like it yesterday. I didn't look like it in the Olympics. But we that was our day. I had nine am. I had the women's platform diving I had to see. But after that it was noon. You all should see us. We are like idiots in here trying to plan everything. We had to call the daughters and where we're all going to be, and what's this gonna happen, where's the food? And we all to get on the couch by noon for the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was. It was a blast. They did not disappoint. And I know what we're going to be on Saturday at eleven am. We are going to be watching the US women face Brazil for the gold medal. This is so exciting. And you know what, we were ranked fifth and that sounds great, but you know, to be now going for gold, that's a huge accomplishment for a team that I don't think a lot of people necessarily thought would get to where they are having.
Speaker 2: Losts Emma hayes Era at the with the US women, the new coach. She is doing her thing and she's fun to watch her fun things on the sideline. So that's on Saturday. You know where we'll be. Did you get to see a meet Allure and Kwan Hong Zong both win gold medals? Yes today?
Speaker 1: Come again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might be saying, ooh and no we didn't see them. Yes, Amid Allure and Kwan Hong Jan both got gold medals yesterday. They are not household names, but they just might be the two most dominant athletes at the Paris Games. I know, slow down, TJ. You know Simone was at these Games. I get it, but hear us out. Amid Allure won Golden women's wrestling. She's twenty years old. She's the youngest American man or woman to ever win Golden wrestling at the Olympics. But why call her one of the most dominant athletes in Paris robes because she has not lost a wrestling match in international competition since twenty.
Speaker 1: Nineteen, five years straight.
Speaker 2: I believe that's about forty two and oh or something like that. That she is now she is a phenom and dominant and in her matches in the Olympics, she's three and oho going into the final. She won all her matches, but the scorer threw out her matches. At the Olympics. She won twenty eight to two. That's the overall scoring twenty eight to two. Her opponent didn't score on her at all in the final. Her coach actually said, the surprise here at the Olympics is not that she won, but that anybody scored against her at all.
Speaker 1: Wow, she's that good.
Speaker 2: She is that good, an absolute phenom. But she has dominated to the point that they even say her opponents walk out looking intimidated, don't even know what to do with her.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations to her. And I know this is a young woman who you have been heralding this entire Olympics. You will not miss when she competes.
Speaker 2: I love a Kwang Hoong Joan who's seventeen years old now. But Chinese diver, she's seventeen. She's seventeen and is a two time Olympic champion on platform. You're like, wait, how did that work? Yes, she won the first one at fourteen years old in Tokyo, fourteen years old. She was a darling of Tokyo that came out of nowhere for a lot of folks. But she was scoring perfect tens at the age of fourteen. Yesterday, the final, very first dive, perfect ten across the board. She's just there is no competition. She made a little on one of her dives and her teammate kind of got close, but she still won comfortably. But she and her teammate are so far ahead of anybody else. It was no question who's gonna get gold, no question who's gonna get.
Speaker 1: Soilb didn't they say that when she dives this is her right that it almost looks like quicksand, like the water is not splashing up, but it's actually being sucked down. She makes her dives that beautiful.
Speaker 2: There's some technique that they have perfected, and it's some name for that loosely translates into splash disappearance technique or something they were saying, but it does quicksand is the right way to put it. You go into the water, it looks like the water follows you down. She's that good. So I know I haven't missed her.
Speaker 1: Uh yes, And so we were talking about our track and field. You just kind of re educating ourselves into some of these events. They've been fun to watch, like the hammer throw. I mean, we've been having a blast. It's been really fun. But we especially enjoyed the steeple chase. I have never seen it before, so I was shocked, as many people might have been if they were watching to see water, like a why are they running through water on the track? It was I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 2: See. And that's the crazy thing is it has been in the Olympics. It is the early nineteen hundreds. But my question, we were watching it yesterday and I'm like, why is this still an event? Like why is that there? I hadn't never looked up the history. So for folks, if you were watching a race, it's a three thousand meters steeplechase, and the athletes get on the track and they're jumping over obstacles. But they're not necessarily hurdles. They look like big police.
Speaker 1: Barriers, barriers, and they don't give. You know, hurdles will give if you if you hit it.
Speaker 2: These do not, Yes, and we have seen some I haven't seen in this dramatic falls but in the past. But then on one pass you jump over this obstacle, but there is a pit of water on the other side and you can't clear the water, so you're gonna end up in it getting wet. That's the actual event and you're thinking, why is this a thing? Well, the steeple chase goes back to Ireland, we understand.
Speaker 1: And it was an equestrian event, correct. It started out with horses, was what they believe, and then as it continued, they decided to have runners do it, and they wanted to emulate what those races were like where you were going over natural barriers and fences and sometimes you had to run through rivers and streams, and so to emulate all of that, that is how they put together this steeple chase route. And it is unusual and I would say very very entertaining. It's something to see.
Speaker 2: It's something to see, but it's entertaining. But it's a I mean, it gets a little ugly. I mean they have some nasty spills I've seen over the years trying to get over that water, and it's potential for disaster. But the steeple chase, the name even yes steeple when they were racing back in the early nineteen hundreds or whatever it was on the horses. What could you see from town to town? What was the easiest marker? It was the church steeple, So they were literally chasing and running and racing from steeple to steeple, hence the name. So that is your Olympics history too.
Speaker 1: Anytime that's on, I will watch it because I think it's pretty remarkable to see and where else could you see something like that? Nowhere except for the Olympics. All right, we'll tell you what we're watching today. Gosh, well, we've been watching sports climbing, which has been so fun. But we'll watch it anytime it's on, finals or heats, whatever it is. Will take it. Men's springboard diving Americans Carson Tyler and Andrew Capo Bianca competing for a spot in the men's finals. I be's already happened, but you'll be able to see a replay of it, and it's there's some good news there. US women's basketball quarterfinals, the US versus Nigeria that's at three thirty this afternoon, and the ladies of Team USA on their way to seeking an unprecedented eighth consecutive gold medal the semifinals or Friday. The gold medal game is actually on the last day of the Olympics on Sunday, so that'll be fun to watch. We'll just hopefully, I don't want to assume, but let's hope that the American women will be in that final in the bag. A lot going on track and field, the one hundred ten meter hurdle semi finals, where we have a favorite to win a medal. He's an American three time world champ, Tokyo silver medalist, Grant Holloway. He'll be competing. That's this afternoon. Lots of multiple track and field events throughout the day, so we'll be very occupied. Synchronized swimming, artistics, swimming. The team finals are at one thirty this afternoon, and Team USA is looking good. Yesterday we were just behind China, so that is something to definitely take a look at. And we watched the mixed marathon walk relay this morning and there is such a great moment when the winning country crosses the finish line there. Yes, you have to watch it with the backdrop of the Eiffel Tower, champagne going everywhere. It was really celebratory and fun and you were just it was it was fun to watch. I really really enjoyed that Men's Beach Volleyball USA takes on Cutter Qatar. How you say that? At four pm today when I was at NBC News, we said cutter. Now I think everyone says qatar. The aato tomato playing the US is playing at four pm today and oh my goodness, we're so excited. Men's park skateboarding. So our guys are competing actually right now as we're recording this. Gavin Botger and Tom shar that's who we spoke to. If you haven't heard our interview with them, please check it out. It's a couple podcasts ago. But they talked to us just before they started competing. The heat. The heat's already going on right now, but the finals are at eleven thirty a m. This morning.
Speaker 2: I love this park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all in one day, they're knocking it all out and then this is cool on Team Great Britain. He's an American, but he's competing for a Great Britain. He's fifty one years yars old. He is competing in park skateboarding amongst teenagers. Like this is a sport where it's known for its youth in fact China, he's he's from he is American, but he's he's competing for Team Great Britain.
Speaker 2: Maybe I say that because we're watching it live and I saw a guy with a skateboard like.
Speaker 1: He's fifty one years I didn't think he was a competitor.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a week okay, had to be And.
Speaker 1: There China has an eleven year old competing in this exact same event. So there is going to be an eleven year old competing against a fifty one year old and for that in and of itself, I'm watching and I had to look it up because I was confused. There's no minimum age to compete in surfing or skateboarding events, so if you're a surfer or a skateboarder, you can be as young as you want to be.
Speaker 2: I guess apparently as old as you want to be and as old.
Speaker 1: As you want to be. Olympic gymnasts have to be sixteen by the way to compete, and boxers have to be eighteen, but boxers also can't be over the age of forty. So some sports have very specific age requirements, and I love that skateboarding has none, so an eleven year old, We'll go up against a fifty one year.
Speaker 2: Old And I'm sorry, I only pointed to you because our boy is coming up, Gavin Gavin. But we just love seventeen year old. Isn't he ranked number one in the world.
Speaker 1: He is, and he's seventeen years old and chill.
Speaker 2: And there he goes. We talk to this guy the other day as we were talking to you, we are watching him lie perform at the Olympics and his park run in the prelimbs, and it's amazing that this kid is seventeen years old. To see him doing what he's doing right now, we all have a dog in the fight when he comes to the Olympics Team USA. But once you get to talk to somebody, and once we spend a little time with him and getting to know his personality, I feel myself rooting for this dude harder than I'm root it for anybody that I mean.
Speaker 1: They're just doing it for the passion and love of the sport and nothing else, and they're remarkable at it. And you know, these guys don't have coaches. You know, it's just this is what they love to do, and they do it all day long. He gets home school. Wow, that was remarkable. He doesn't go to high school, you know, for high school. He goes to homeschool because this is his this is what he does as often and as long as he can in southern California where the weather makes it do.
Speaker 2: And he just made a great run. So glad you stuck around with us for that little ding. We just watched him.
Speaker 1: His family cheering in the All right, y'all, thank you for listening to us each and every day. We're going to keep bringing it to you. Tomorrow you'll get more tea from Perry