Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: This is our one on our Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Net's Dan Patrick Show, January seventeenth. Come on in, stay a while, gangs all here, Yes, Fritzi is here. Whole question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that coming up. The playmaker Michael Lervin. Been a while since we've had him on. Mike will join us later on. We'll have more insights into Jim Harbaugh. He met with the Chargers, met with the Falcons while still negotiating with Michigan. Dan Wetzel. Yahoo Sports has been covering that and had some great details, So he'll join us coming out eight seven seven three. DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show. Good morning, you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for allowing us into your homes and for those listening on radio, thank you for allowing us into your cars as you commute or maybe you're still at home and Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio have a poll question coming up and a few other comments coming up on the Patriot Way until it's not the Patriot Way, you know, that's the one organization that I can think of in my forty years doing this that you didn't get information out of if you did, it was really really rare, the Patriot way. Nobody said anything, nobody spoke out of school. Now all of a sudden, Bill Belichick is gone and they're open for business. Now you're picking sides on what was going on with Belichick and Robert Kraft and his son. Also the quarterbacking position with Mac Jones. He seems to be used as a pawn there. Bill didn't want him. The Craft family got more and more involved, and then Belichick is the guy who said to the Craft family, let's move on from Tom.
Speaker 3: He can't play anymore.
Speaker 2: And then Tom wins his Super Bowl and then Robert Kraft reportedly says to Bill Belichick, I thought you told me he can't play anymore.
Speaker 3: He wont to bleep in Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: But Bill Bellichick was cleaning out his office just a couple of days after the loss to the Jets. But it feels like there's a whole lot more that went on there in the last decade, and it felt like the Kraft family was taking more control. And it wasn't a question of if, but when Bill Belichick was going to leave all right, whole question, what do you have seating for the first hour of this program?
Speaker 4: Who would you rather have coached your NFL team? Bill Belichick or Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Now, I know you're simplifying that, but it's not as simple because if you said Jim Harbaugh is going to coach Justin Herbert and the Chargers or Bill Belichick was I would take Jim Harbaugh. If you said the Dallas Cowboys, Jim Harball or Bill Belichick, I'd say Bill Belichick.
Speaker 3: How about the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 2: So Harball interviews with the Falcons, Bill Belichick interviews with the Falcons. If I would have said that at the beginning of the year, hey, you know the Falcons, they're going to have a coaching vacancy, and I would have said, Okay, oh you know who they're gonna interview, Bill Belichick and Jim Hornbaugh. Now Harbaugh, I'd go okay, because he's been trying to get back into the NFL. But for Belichick and the juicy irony of he's now going to coach the Falcons, then I would say, no, that's not happening. But here we are and the Falcons. The Falcons are swinging for the fences. Now Arthur Blank is, you know, going after the biggest names. See if he can reel one in. Because he's another owner who almost won a Super Bowl. He's been closer than Jerry Jones has. He's got everything, but he doesn't have anything. He's always on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: He's ready to celebrate.
Speaker 2: And then no crushing. But now he's swinging, swinging for the fences. You're not bringing in a young offensive coordinator and Arthur Smith, now you're going after big here. And I give him credit because you did credit because we didn't give him credit. Because he's got skilled position players. They have a nucleus here, and that's Belichick wants to get that team that is undervalued from the standpoint of just like when Brady went to the Buccaneers. I think we were surprised because we thought, well, he's going to go to a team that's sort of a five hundred team. Well he saw that they were far more than that, and they were further along than we thought. And maybe Belichick and Jim Harball look at the Falcons and go, okay, we just have to get a quarterback. Well that's how all these coaches lost their jobs because they didn't have a quarterback. That's what I love about the Chargers job. I have my quarterback, he's under contract. Can I look at free agency and go, Okay, who's out there? Who are you going to get? And that's the tricky part with all of this, who's my quarterback? That's why all of these jobs are open except for the Chargers because Brandon Staley just didn't do a good job managing that team and he had his quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pung.
Speaker 5: If you were deciding between Belichick and Harball, how much, if at all, would the age difference matter. There's an eleven year age difference.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that would matter because I don't know how long you know, Bill wants to coach for.
Speaker 3: I mean, is he going to coach for three years? He's going to coach till he gets the record?
Speaker 2: Is he going to coach till you know, he gets deep into the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Harball?
Speaker 2: I could see him maybe you know, a decade coaching, whether it's at Michigan and or the NFL. And I know that they're talking about Jim Harball with this, Hey are we going to give him a ten year deal? He's going to make eleven and a half million dollars. Well that's not his final contract, because he could be two years in and say, you know what, yeah, one another national championship. Now I really want to coach in the NFL. And he made a point to say after he won the national title, Hey, I get to sit at the big boy table. His dad won a national championship and his brother won a Super Bowl. He won a national championship. But it still feels like, and this may be me kind of letting you into my world with my brothers, we're competitive.
Speaker 4: Family dynamics like that are so funny.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: That's why when you go wait, everybody should be happy. Yeah, there's competition. And if you're Jim Harbaugh and John won a super Bowl, boy'd be nice to have a super Bowl and a National championship because then I get to sit at the head of the table. Jim's that competitive and.
Speaker 4: That he could sit around and be like, you know, I got to tell you, I can't tell which one was more difficult. I mean they both come with the unique challenges. Or I'm not sure which ring I'm gonna wear today. Oh John, you're wearing your super Bowl. I'm gonna wear the National championship. You know what, I'm gonna put my Super Bowl ring on. Family dynamics there, the competition that's there, the ego that's there, that factors into all of this, because Jim has done everything you would want considering what has happened in what is nine years there at Michigan. Couldn't beat Ohio State. Gotta beat Ohio State, can't beat Ohio State. All right, maybe you're not the guy. Maybe we're gonna cut your salary here. Oh wait a minute, you beat Ohio State. Oh, you beat him again. Oh, you're gonna play for national. Oh you won a national championship. And then Jim's taking the victory lap like, all right, I'm gonna make you sweat a little bit here. Changed Yeah, because he's going to get paid. The question is, and there's language in the contract. According to Dan Wetzel of let's say something happens with the NCIA and Michigan wants to move on from Jim Harbaugh, he doesn't want to have the language in there that allows them to move on if it's NCIA related. Now it could be performance related, but Jim, I think, is trying to protect himself if he stays there that he doesn't get fired if the sanctions come back, and you know they come down hard on Michigan.
Speaker 3: What other poll question do you have seton? Well?
Speaker 4: Whose future are you more curious about Belichick's or Harballs?
Speaker 2: I would say Belichick because I believe Harball is going to go back to the NFL. It's not this time around, It'll be in a couple of years. Belichick to go to another team, that would be so bizarre to see him wearing somebody else's hoodie, carved up sweatshirt there on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: How many games is the way fifteeneen?
Speaker 2: Now, if he went to the Cowboys, then that would be mind blowing. Where you're going, Oh my god, he's coaching the Cowboys and maybe gets them to a super Bowl and surpasses Don Shule's all time records.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 2: Bill, just because I never thought we would get to this day. Harball, I'm not surprised and won't be surprised. I won't be surprised if he goes back, and I won't be surprised if he goes to the NFL.
Speaker 3: I think it's more.
Speaker 2: Of the job that you would take to leave Michigan, and I would stay at Michigan.
Speaker 3: But I get it. With these coaches.
Speaker 2: It feels like the NFL has more stability than college does. And it used to be these control freaks, you know. That's why Nick Saban is like, eh, transfer portal and il you don't want to deal with that. And they didn't have to deal with that for decades because it was like, let's just pay some players under the table. We'll get the best players we can get. Now you could probably use that response for a lot of coaches, but hey, let's stockpile players on scholarship and we can do that. And that's what happened. It was you were able to control everything. Now you can't control anything because that kid has all the leverage. Imagine you're a freshman, you rush for twelve hundred yards, you go to one of these big time coaches and you go, yeah, I don't know, I'd like to stay. I'd like to stay, but I like to redo my deal. That's what's going on right now.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 2: So you got these guys, the you know, big time coaches, like you got to be kidding me. You know, their thought bubbles as they're sitting there with this kid nineteen years of age, just rush for twelve hundred yards. You know, projected to be a first rounder in a couple of years.
Speaker 3: I like to redo my deal again.
Speaker 4: The coaches are like, wait a minute, you can't redeal.
Speaker 3: Redo your dealing way you can. One good season, you're going to redo your deal.
Speaker 6: That sound how it works.
Speaker 3: This is a contract.
Speaker 2: But that's the headache that you have with college football, or at least these guys who already have that mindset of we control everything here and then you don't control anything. And I could see where that, you know, I mean Nick Saban left because of that. Reggie Bush was with us yesterday and he said he firmly believes NIL.
Speaker 3: That's one of the reasons.
Speaker 2: That's why you have to have young, energetic coaches who can deal with the transfer portal. They can deal with NIL. They understand this is the new way of doing business. And that's where I want to see how long it sustainable for Dion at Colorado because he basically said that he opened everybody's eyes to this. He said, this is what's going on now. Let's not kid anybody. It's about the transfer portal and what I can do for you and you can do for me and we're in business together. By the way, Mike Tomlin is back for twenty twenty four. Not sure why he didn't say that. I don't know why I didn't say that after the laws, unless he was offended by the reporter's question of, hey, you know you got one year left on your deal. Bill. I didn't finish my question. I didn't even get to ask the question. But he says he's coming back for twenty twenty four. Yes, seton.
Speaker 3: It's probably just emotional.
Speaker 4: I mean, they had just lost, but it's probably been a long season for him, and I got a kind of an appropriate question, but in his mind, a dumb ass question that he didn't feel like answering right now, so he just walked away.
Speaker 3: I kind of get that.
Speaker 2: But then you're adding more to it, so you don't want to answer that question, So now you're going to answer more questions with well, why did you walk That's what I'd want to know.
Speaker 3: Why did you walk off the podium after the lost coach? Yeah, well, what if he blew up on the person instead?
Speaker 4: Well, I know, I mean, I don't know if I'm just trying to like Devil's advocated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just feels like Tomlin deals with this as well as anybody. I mean, you're seventeen years in, You're going to get a question you don't like or how do I answer this?
Speaker 4: See, I feel like it's exactly He's seventeen years in. Why do I have to deal with this crap? You know, he's earned the right to not have to do that.
Speaker 3: But to walk off see that. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe, yeah, maybe he was a about to lose and said in I'd be better served walking.
Speaker 4: Self preservation kind of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I know what's about to happen, and I've got enough control to walk. That's what I read from it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, Tom, it seemed unnecessarily dramatic. You could just say a myriad of things, including I'm not going to enter that right now.
Speaker 6: We just lost.
Speaker 7: Let me deal with the season ending a little more abruptly than I had anticipated.
Speaker 8: But thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking to myself right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's guys in that locker room hurting, all right, Okay, that's what I'm thinking about right now.
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking about myself right now. Okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, Nick Sirianni is reportedly meeting with the owner of the Eagles today. Swipe card, here you go, playbook, here you go, barking pass here you go.
Speaker 3: Can I keep the visor? Ain't keep the visor? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is this a situation where Nick Sirianni fires all the assistants and gets one more year?
Speaker 2: But he already lost his coordinators last last couple of years.
Speaker 8: Is why they lost this year?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know who's getting a lot of heat. Jalen Hurts. That's new Jalen Hurts. Yeah, yeah, I know it's new Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 3: Is that an old headline? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have a good year this year. This is where I always will go one more year instead of giving you the contract extension a year early.
Speaker 3: Always.
Speaker 2: I don't care who it is, you know, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts. Who else did I say this about?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Even Josh Allen, Like you just go give me one more year, you know, Danny Dimes. I'm like, no, you know, make him prove it one more year. Because it's such a fickle league. And I talked to a former defensive coordinator last night who said, once the league gets a book on you, now they want to see how you react. The league has a book on Jalen Hurts and so now it's up to him and Nick Sirianni or whoever's the coach offensive coordinator. Now you have to react. It's it's a game of chess all the time. Take away that, now what do you do? All right, we took away that. Now what do you do? And that's what Jalen Hurts has to do. Now he has to be able to play chess again. And maybe he wasn't healthy. I know, the knee, that was a big deal. And you know, even the finger, although Troy said during the game or prior to the game that shouldn't be an issue. He looked like he was throwing the ball really well. You know, Tampa just beat him. Yeah, they were more physical. They just beat him. I watched the replay of that game last night and I'm going, I'm still yelling at the Eagles to tackle. I'm going to tackle him, and you know, I think they thought it was two hand touched and even then they didn't do well with that. I'm going, oh my god, Chris Godwin is looking like Gail Sayers going down the field.
Speaker 3: And I know quit is a terrible word to use.
Speaker 2: It is, and I would hate for somebody to say that about me if I played. But it just they they felt, and it's semantics. They just felt less than inspired.
Speaker 3: Did it mean?
Speaker 2: It's almost like they knew they weren't a super Bowl caliber team, right, It just felt like, yeah, yeah, we're in the playoffs. But Tampa was thrilled to be in and they played that way. The Lions thrilled to be in, they played that way. The Cowboys were already thinking about Vegas and they played that way. Packers inspired, thrilled young team, quarterback rally.
Speaker 3: Behind him.
Speaker 2: And they played like that. It's not a coincidence. Baltimore can't play entitled. San Francisco can't play entitled every game, every single game. Do what you need to do right in front of you. All Right, we'll take a break. When we come back, we'll hear from Patrick Mahomes. We'll also here an interesting question that was posed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Todd Bowles, and phone calls will settle on our poll question as well. We're eighteen after the hour, back after this Dan Patrick Show, Drafting Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NFL Playoffs, bringing you an offer you can't refuse. I did watch a little bit of The Godfather to last night. You know, don't want Fredo going out on the boat and I felt bad. Spoiler, Yeah you're not coming back.
Speaker 3: But have you seen one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I kind of seen it bits and pieces.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up everybody?
Speaker 9: It's me three time pro bowler LeVar Harrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game? What is Up on Game?
Speaker 1: You asked?
Speaker 9: Along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Huschman, Zada and Super Bowl champion. Yup, that's right, Plexico Burris. You can only name a show with that type of.
Speaker 1: Talent on it.
Speaker 9: Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with me Lebar Arrington, t J. Huschman, Zada, and Plexico Burrs on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: Did watch some NBA last night? Joel Embiid and the Sixers beat the Nuggets. Embiid went for forty one, so he scored at least thirty points in eighteen consecutive games. Only three players in NBA history have accomplished that. Will Chamberlain did it four times, James Harden and Elgin Baylor the other two. And by the way, James Harden and the new and improved Clippers have won eight of ten. Harden says that he wants a contract where he will end his career with the Clippers. Got a new arena, by the way, any reason to talk about Steve Balmer and we still have to get him on the show?
Speaker 3: What did the Clippers say when we say we want Steve Balmer?
Speaker 7: Storry is just not available right now. But you know, let's revisit that down the road.
Speaker 3: So he's not been available for four years.
Speaker 4: He's very busy.
Speaker 3: He's got a lot, I know.
Speaker 2: But if you say to them twenty four hours a day, I'll be available, he should be available for like seven minutes.
Speaker 6: To Balmber can do something at three thirty eighth, I.
Speaker 2: Will do that. I will come in and do that, all right. You let them know that I'll do that?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 4: His a little safety vest and hard hat I know.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I love because Seton does a great impression of Steve Balmer. It's an absolute lunatic, I know, but he gets so excited when he's dancing, and I loved it, you know. And it sounds like it's a pretty cool arena and it feels like it's going to be cozy. You know, it's going to be a home court advantage. Looks awesome, Yeah, it does. Looks incredible. Yeah, but they're trying to make it a true home court advantage and also presenting the Clippers for the younger audience.
Speaker 3: Now in LA, it's all about the Lakers.
Speaker 2: But if you can get the fans when they're younger and experience there, they go to it. They understand it that this is unique. This is a fan experience there. You know, we talk about Madison Square Garden, like, man, you got to see a game at the garden. Okay, it's got a lot of history. It doesn't have the same ambiance atmosphere that it once did. And it looks like when you go into a home that's right out of the seventies and they didn't upgrade the decor. It's like the Playboy Mansion. When I went to the Playboy Mansion. You go, all right, it's the Playboy Mansion. Yeah, y, this thing needs to be renovated. I mean not the women, but the building itself need to be renovated.
Speaker 3: Yes see.
Speaker 4: You know, I will say that there's something about uh, like I Madison Square Garden. When you walk in there, now you're kind of like, huh, okay, this is the mecca of Okay, huh. Interesting. But you know when Yankee tore down Yankee Stadium and put up the new one. You know, the very first thing my father in Las said, who's a Red Sox fan was Daved Ruth never played there, And.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh crap, that's why you keep the old place. Do you have to have the ghosts? You have to have the ghosts. Yeah, but I don't think the Knicks have those ghosts, you know. That's that's it.
Speaker 4: Did just start making it up get better at some well, they.
Speaker 3: Won a couple of titles. That's back in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I've gone there when I truly understood what they were talking about with knowledgeable basketball fans in that environment, and whether it was a Big East game between Georgetown and Saint John's or it was a Knicks game against the Celtics when Bernard King was playing there. Then I got it, but you know that that's a long time ago. No, it just I'm sorry. Julius Randall was just not bringing me to my feet right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, smart, Reggie Miller might have more ghosts than there than some mixed players.
Speaker 3: True, true, yes, pulling.
Speaker 5: So the Alley Clippers are Steve Balmer in his Osha vest yesterday announce they're doing a thing called the Wall, and they're gonna have fifty one rows behind the basket, and there's rules. If you're gonna sit in these rows. You cannot cheer for the opposing team. I don't know how they're gonna enforce that rule. You cannot wear the opponent's gear. You have to be wearing Clippers gear or neutral. And tickets can only be sold on the Clippers' market place. They're trying to make a like a fan section, like almost a college basketball fan section.
Speaker 3: For the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're calling it the Wall. In a season on the Wall ranges from five thousand dollars to twenty five thousand. I'm curious, I the joker was asked about that. You know playing in an environment like Madison Square Garden, and he goes, I've played in Serbia. Now, if you watch basketball in Europe, especially in Serbia, they light flares inside, they throw things, They heat up pennies and throw them at the players, firecrackers.
Speaker 5: They bringet farm animals.
Speaker 6: Made that one up.
Speaker 5: Now that's not true, but it is out of hand. It feels that there's chance going on the entire time.
Speaker 2: It's a soccer match. That environment. When you're watching basketball in certain countries it's enclosed. Yes, it's awesome, but lighting flares, no, you can't.
Speaker 3: Light a flare. Well, this is Serbia, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: In a couple of years, the All Star Game will be at that arena. Twenty twenty six Clippers the wall, yep field trip. Oh, I thought you were talking about Serbia.
Speaker 3: In Serbia, I would love that.
Speaker 8: When it's buried.
Speaker 3: When is bread all right?
Speaker 2: Tampa Bay head coach Todd Bowles meeting with the media. Tampa Bay is going to Detroit to face the Lions. And Todd was answering questions yesterday and here's the question and how Todd Bulls answered it.
Speaker 11: I'm looking forward towards Detroit. The weather's benefactor in some of the playoff games, even for the most prepared teams. Today, it's thirteen in Detroit, which doesn't compare to some of the temperatures out to any special plans to acclimate the team to not only endure but perform in those confridgeing temperatures.
Speaker 6: Did you face them in Detroit?
Speaker 12: You do know we play indoors right in the other dome.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 12: No nothing planning or indoors. And we only have to be outside for twenty seconds getting off the bus going under the thing, so we'll be okay.
Speaker 2: The reporter did her research by saying it's thirteen degrees, which is true, thirteen degrees, it's seventy two inside. You know that that long walk from when you get off the bus to get to the locker room. How's that going to affect your player's coach? Todd Bowles did a pretty good job there, and I was wondering how certain coaches would have handled something like that. I don't know if Belichick. Belichick would probably have just been BELICHICKI.
Speaker 3: And in gone yeah, in games indoors. But that's it.
Speaker 2: Where's Bill Parcell's I've been in press conferences with Bill and he was the Giants head coach, and he was just a jerk. He if you made any mistake or you made it seem like you knew some football.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, who read a book and you go just asking a question.
Speaker 2: Coach Belichick I think would have swatted it away and just moved on. Bill Parcells would have lit you up.
Speaker 3: He would have. He would have embarrassed you.
Speaker 2: But Todd Bowles, to his credit, just you know, gave a matter of fact.
Speaker 3: Well games indoors. Uh, yeah, I do. I don't think that's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 6: I thought he initially when I heard that, thought he handled it pretty well.
Speaker 7: But now that the more I listen to it, I feel like he could have even done even a better job to make her it's not his job.
Speaker 3: He didn't ask the question. She's among her.
Speaker 7: Colleagues and everything, and maybe she doesn't normally cover football the team or I thought, I thought you could have said something like, you know, thankfully, you know we're in a dome.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it'll be cold.
Speaker 2: Nice because it's a female reporter, that's possible, Okay.
Speaker 7: But I would I would hope he could have just said, you know, thankfully, we're playing in the dome and it won't you know, won't be that terrible. It'll be uncomfortable maybe outside, but once we're in, you know, everything should be fine. And so you know, we're not playing in a game.
Speaker 3: Thought he did a good job.
Speaker 6: Been a lot worse.
Speaker 2: I thought it could have been a lot worse. As Seton said, what if Todd Bowles went games indoors and we're not facing actual lions?
Speaker 4: You know, you know, we're not actually playing with the animal lions like this as people. They're just called the lions. They're not actually facing lions.
Speaker 2: Oh so it's indoors and you're not facing real lions.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we're not. Now that would have been great, Yes, Todd.
Speaker 6: So it's called ford Field now, not the Pontiac Silver Dome.
Speaker 7: If we're still called the Silver Dome, that might have helped her out a little bit to realize, wait a second dome.
Speaker 6: I don't maybe they're not playing outside. She got a look confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that might be.
Speaker 2: You know, our total team report on the Buccaneers, and you send people who are general reporters. You know, hey we advanced. Hey, you know, I got a great story idea. It's you know, seventy two in Tampa, but it's thirteen in Detroit. All take at that angle and all ask coach about that total team report on the Buccaneers going to Detroit, and we send it out to Sally Lipper. Yes, And I talked to Coach Bowls and I asked him about the weather in Detroit.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, after Todd Bowles said, you know, we play indoors, right, there was awkward silence right after, and I was like, oh, the secondhand embarrassment. I'm sure her colleagues must have felt like, oh, or as she's asking it about the weather, like oh, I know.
Speaker 2: Like, where are we going with this? Where like it's going to be hard to land the plane because of the weather.
Speaker 4: Yes see, And she had clearly done some research and she was thinking about whatever because she's like and yes, I mean it's like thirteen degrees. You know, she had really put in some work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was very she was.
Speaker 4: It was a well prepared question about the weather in Detroit that they were going to face. My guess is those aren't her colleagues.
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 2: It's probably just that's a general assignment reporter who's out there. Once again, Total team effort here led body.
Speaker 3: Local news. We're local, Live, Local, late breaking.
Speaker 7: Yes, Tom, would you have had the urge to be a little sarcastic there if you were the head coach in that position unless the dome collapse, which are no one has informed me.
Speaker 6: I think we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: And now it did happen in Minnesota, that's true. Yeah, I did a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paully, I found myself as the question is going on, not thinking about the reporter, but think about what is Todd Bowles thinking of how to handle this, because he's got ten seconds to go in and just pile on someone or state the obvious that we are playing indoors. Like I almost felt bad for him in that situation.
Speaker 2: Weirdly, Well, once there's that awkward silence, I think that's when he realizes, okay, let me try to salvage this, because if E would have said, you know, we play indoors and then there's awkward silence, and then that's when he picks it up just a little bit where he's trying to help her a little bit. You know, wait, play it played again? Played again? Oh no, yeah, yah, yeah, yeah, I want to you know, hear Todd Bowles portion of this.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm looking forward towards Detroit.
Speaker 11: The weather, it's been a factor in some of the playoff games, even for the most prepared teams. Today it's thirteen in Detroit, which doesn't compare to some of the temperature, to any special plans to acclimate the team to not.
Speaker 7: Only endure, but perform in.
Speaker 5: Those converted temperatures.
Speaker 7: Should you face them in Detroit, you know.
Speaker 12: We play indoors, right, and the other dome ot no nothing playing or indoors and we only have to be outside for twenty seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think she even says if you end up playing them in Detroit or you're facing those conditions, but yeah, that one, it's it's I can't explain the experience of when you raise your hand, or sometimes when you stand up in a press conference and everybody's looking at you and all of a sudden, you hear yourself on the speakers there, Yeah, coach.
Speaker 3: Coach, and then you asked that question.
Speaker 2: Now, I've been embarrassed by Don Shula, I've been embarrassed by pat Riley, been embarrassed by Phil Jackson, So Bill Parcells, so I know the feeling, And even if you're asking a question where you've done research and it's a correct question, they may not want to answer it. Like pat Riley did that to me during the NBA Finals and just blew me off. Don Shula didn't even answer my question like that one's tough. He just moved on.
Speaker 4: He did he had you ask the question, and then looked and was like Scott.
Speaker 2: He did not answer my question. The Dolphins lost to the Jets and Schula comes in and gives you three minutes on the game, and then I go, coach, what about?
Speaker 3: And he just walked away. And I thought, okay, all right, did anybody see that?
Speaker 2: Now? All right, I'm good, no bloodshed. But Bill Park Bob Knight got embarrassed by Bob Knight. Yeah, I've had I've had a few of them, so I know that awkward feeling. Yes, Paul, but this is such a next level. Like I was watching there's this clip out there.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna say the actor name, but a famous actor was on a one of those morning shows and was asked about some project they were working on, and the reporter asked about his wife, who had passed away three years ago, and the actor was like, didn't didn't go out, didn't let let it out? Just meander through a generic answer to not embarrass the reporter on air. I just can't imagine being the subject of the interview in a situation like that, and the reporter has a situation and.
Speaker 3: You have to either ignore it or clean up or jab back.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, you know, sometimes you just have to take your medicine. Yeah, you know, And when you get ready to raise your hand and you have a question, make sure you got it all buttoned up.
Speaker 7: Yes, ton, if you're a news editor or someone that wants to refer to this story, because I'm noticing almost every article.
Speaker 6: The name is left. I don't know if she's in witness protection.
Speaker 7: There's just such a reporter asked a bad question, and like, well, how horrible is this? Do you, like not want to make it worse for your fellow colleague by mentioning the name of the person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just call it a reporter.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know that this is this is tough, but you know it's something that you can learn from. You know, when you go in you if everybody's there and you want to ask a question, you got to be buttoned up.
Speaker 3: You just do.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mar, do you show her more grace if she's not a sports reporter, if she's just a random Fox affiliate I have.
Speaker 2: I mean, sometimes you don't even know who's asking you questions. But I mean that could explain that that you know, probably not you know, everyday sports reporter.
Speaker 3: But I mean it's more about bulls.
Speaker 2: And answering the question, and that he he's almost like, you know, we play indoors, and then he kind of catches himself and then he's like.
Speaker 3: And then he's trying to salvage it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Just didn't think I would hear that question this week about the weather in Detroit.
Speaker 7: Yes, Tom, but he says, I suppose it'll be called for the twenty seconds that will be out there.
Speaker 6: That was he said. When we're outside, it'll be uncomfortable, but once we get in the doub we'll be one.
Speaker 2: Well, he did have a little bit of fun with it. And look as somebody who's been humbled for if I ask an inappropriate question or you know, not the best question to ask. I asked doctor Jack Ramsay, one of the brilliant basketball minds, and I said, Jack, give me a question for Pat rilling.
Speaker 3: He said, Dan, and he started to.
Speaker 2: Tell me what I should ask pat Riley because I wanted, you know, I wanted a basketball question that Riley would have to answer. And I had this question and I asked it and Riley didn't answer it, didn't answer it.
Speaker 3: Now all of the New York writers they're.
Speaker 2: All around, and I'm asking this guy here's talking haird who wants to ask a question to pat Riley. And Ryle's just dismissed it. And I was like, maybe he didn't hear me. I got ready to ask the question again. Thank god I didn't.
Speaker 3: Ample.
Speaker 5: It's like if doctor Jack Ramsey asked that question, he's got full credibility to ask it because you asked a serious basketball question.
Speaker 3: He looks at you and goes, reporter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well how about we take a break. Here, We'll hear from Patrick Mahomes GJ. Watt as well, and that's where you coming up. Play of the Day's next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk line up in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 13: Left play This is the play of the day.
Speaker 9: Check this out.
Speaker 13: Booker defending with eight to shoot. Fox around a pick from Sabonis. Durant switches on Fox. He dribbles left, forces up a three. It's blocked by kd Take him by Booker ahead, it's Durant back for Booker. They played cast. Durant lines up the three Fanny sit down.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of the Sun's Radio network. Kevin Durant finished with twenty seven Phoenix rallied from twenty two down with eight and a half minutes to go. Play of the Day brought to you by tire rank dot com, the official tire expert and retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to ti rack dot com slash Dan try the easy to use tired Decision Guy. See the full lineup of Michelin tires special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rec dot com. The Way tire buying should be. Patrick mahomes playing in the cold and his helmet cracked when he was hit Saturday night, and he had this to say about his helmet and a backup helmet.
Speaker 14: They have a backup that's out there. We got to talk about where we store the backup because it was like frozen. So when I try to put it, when I try to put it on, it was completely frozen.
Speaker 3: I couldn't get it on.
Speaker 14: I don't know if anyone got a picture of it. It didn't look great, but we were able to adjust it on the sideline, get it kind of warmed up a little bit and get rolling from there.
Speaker 2: You know, he sounds like Chad from Trigger. Okay, I mean that's that's a random poll here. Okay, Yeah, let me let me hear Patrick Mahomes again.
Speaker 14: They have a backup that's out there. We got to talk about where we store the backup because it was like frozen. So when I try to put it, when I try to put it on, it was completely frozen. I couldn't get it on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe a little higher pitch Chad who is the champion and Griller from Tragger.
Speaker 5: Yes, so you don't probably prepare it all for the backup helmet to be used, and it was sitting on the sidelines in a like a bag. They took it out and they didn't think, well, we're going to keep this in that hot storage area. They have sideline guys, equipment guys using their hands like massage the padding with their warm hands, and they're they're like, we don't have a lot of time to do this. There was like forty five seconds to get this helmet ready.
Speaker 2: Well, that backup helmet will be ready. What's the weather in Buffalo this weekend? If we look to see if we have any issues there, and it's not like Kansas City won't be ready to play in that weather. Given the conditions in Kansas City and playing outdoors, that game will be outdoors in Buffalo, correct, Pony.
Speaker 5: Sunday night in Buffalo, low of twenty doesn't look like any chance of snow as of now, so that's not big deal.
Speaker 10: Okay, I was asking you if the game was going to be played out. I'm checking as a journalist, Okay, just going to make it. I don't want to say it sound a little bit of fun. Yeah ready, Yeah.
Speaker 2: TJ Watt, Steelers Edge Rusher had this to say about his head coach, Mike Tom.
Speaker 15: I want to play for Mike t. It was huge in my contract talks. Is I don't want to play for anybody other than Mike T. You guys understand and see in the way that I talk about how much I respect and appreciate him as a coach.
Speaker 3: As a man, as a leader. That's the endorsement for him. Did he say it's in his contract? Did you hear that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, when he's talking about discussing his contract contract extension. Is Mike t going to be the coach?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I thought it was in his contract that he and didn't he just sign a contract that made him the highest paid defensive player. You've got some extensions that are coming up with the Cowboys, which will be interesting see what they do with Dak Prescott, C. D Lamb, Micah Parsons, gampoint TJ.
Speaker 5: Watt has two more seasons on this contract. Thinking about he's like, is this right? I got him only making like twenty six million a year. I guess maybe not.
Speaker 3: Only Maybe it was going to average at thirty that's correct.
Speaker 8: You could.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of it was on his signing bonus in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Micah Parsons is probably going to say I want that, I want thirty. Although, man, he did a lot of talking on his podcast and he's interesting, not afraid to say things, but you got to back it up when you get on the football field. I mean your response can't be that. You know there's no holding calls. You know they're not calling any holding calls against these guys against me. Got to get to the passer and he has. But second half of the season not good.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, Mark, So he just needs one star on the side of his helmet. Not too you know.
Speaker 2: Steve Young said that yesterday, and I thought he was joking at first, but he said, the Cowboys need to earn the star stars on their helmet. If you win ten games, the team gets a star, one star, and if you win a playoff game that year, you get your other star. I thought it was great. I thought it was brilliant because that's a team. And Steve talked about this. They're already stars. I mean literally figuratively, they're stars. They're celebrities. And he said they haven't earned anything. It's when you go to Dallas that you become that just by proxy of being a Dallas Cowboy. He said, you're not nobody's earning anything, and that's part of the problem with the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: The future.
Speaker 2: Jim Harbaugh, we'll talk about that coming up. Michael Irvin, the former Cowboy Great Hall of Famer, the playmaker joins us as well. One hour in the books, two more to go in this Wednesday. We're back after this