Speaker 1: Wisecrack is released weekly and brought to you absolutely free, but if you want exclusive bonuses and early access, subscribe to tenorfoot plus enjoy over thirty shows, including Wisecrack, and over one thousand episodes completely ad free. For more information, check out the show notes. Enjoy the episode. Hey, Wisecrack, it's your host and producer, Jody. Some of you have asked how do you turn a stand up set into a true crime podcast? And in my experience, it takes a lot of time and trust and some seriously great collaborators. What you're going to hear is a bonus episode of my collaborator, Ed and me spilling the tea on how this thing got made. We're also talking about our roller coaster relationship across eight and a half years and how we got to a point where we were able to trust each other enough to make the story. So please enjoy this conversation with myself and Ed. As always, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Ed.
Speaker 1: We have known each other now for almost ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah we have, Yeah, we have.
Speaker 1: This is Has this been the longest project that you've ever worked on?
Speaker 3: It's same Yeah, yeah, easily longest.
Speaker 1: SAME's It's been fun it has.
Speaker 3: It's taken a while.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: There's no excuse for anything start to last.
Speaker 1: Ten years, especially when everything happened in basically twenty fifteen in previous Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: It's it's weird working with someone from my side. It's weird working with someone and then having that relationship develop over the course of ten years because you have like real tangible changes in people's like mental and like circumstantial and just is that word? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that. Okay, let me ask you a question. What now that you know who I am as a person, and I do think that you're I consider you friend. What surprised you about getting to know me basically living in my home for weeks at a time across multiple years.
Speaker 3: How much you love TikTok shop? Firstly? Secondly, I think everyone's got their own way of working. I think I'm kind of quite good at understanding your way of working. Now. I think you're really good at what you did. So when I met you and Edinburgh, you could have been anyone. Yeah, I didn't realize you were really like like shit hot at what you do and like like brilliant, Like the questions that I was asking on the car ride to things were things that you had sorted out four months pre like do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, I would say my life for the last ten years has been dipping into a constant meditation of ED like what's ED doing, what's ED thinking? How is he feeling? Where's he living? What kind of job does he have?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is he gigging a lot? Is he traveling a lot?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I Yeah, it's like put an air tag on you.
Speaker 3: Has that changed a lot for you? Like? Have I changed over the course of ten years? Or am I pretty much the same guy just with different shirts? Yes? And no?
Speaker 1: Okay, I do think. I mean, I think you're you are a different person from when I met you. I think you're more mature. I think you're in a really I don't want to speak for you, but it seems like you're in a much more stable place. I think that you've you're clearly successful, Like and I feel like I met you when you were a child. I know that sounds so ridiculous, but you were twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty three, Yeah, I think definitely.
Speaker 1: And I was a little older. I'm were exactly ten years apart. I was thirty three. I guess when I met you then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's crazy. I think I definitely think of myself as a kid when we met, and at the time, I thought of myself as a grown up. Yeah, you know. And I don't know if everyone feels to keep on the twenty two, but when we first met, I definitely had nothing down, Like, I had no idea what I was doing. I had no clue where I was going. How I like, even this story, I had no idea. I was not prepared to tell this story when I was twenty two. And in a way, I'm really glad that I'm it would have been lovely to have got this cut and done in the year or two, like get to get out to the people. I'm super glad that we kind of end it ten years after I started it, because the way I look at it, the way I look at the story is completely different. And also I feel like the kind of house guest I am is completely different now as well. I'm a lot, a lot less nervous.
Speaker 1: You were a great house guest, but I know I felt so bad. Truthfully, there was an option to put you up at hotel, and I was like, I just don't know about this kid. I put him in my house so I can find No exactly and bring him to the gig and make sure he gets there. Was the producer brain in me. I'm like, gotta keep eyes on him. But now you're just a friend. I'm like, yeah, let me trust it can get I never thought you still from but yeah, no. I now I'm like, oh, yeah, Ed's coming to town or we need to go somewhere. And I just feel like you're You're easy to travel with too, both live with temporarily and easy to travel with, though maybe your partner would feel differently.
Speaker 3: I'm not very abrasive. I'm not a very abrasive person. And I think the weirdest thing is how quiet I've become. Yes, because people are like, if you used to be a loudmouthed and then you can quiet, Everyone assumes you're sad all the time.
Speaker 1: I assume most comedians are sad all the time, to be honest, Is that accurate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is accurate. But then we've not really had anything to be sad about, necessarily because every time we do these trips, every time, like every time I'm way together, it's just a food tool. This is all we do. And I wanted to like run passed you. For ten years, We've been working really hard. The amount of work we've done is equal to the amount of bougie food we eat in bo Jungles.
Speaker 1: Is there something you'd like someone to donate something to the podcast? What's your favorite food?
Speaker 3: Like? Who could? Would you any any American biscuit? Like the biscuits. I came here thinking they were nothing and they are everything to me. Chicken biscuits, the sweet biscuits, the blueberry ones.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they're the best now that we have done the food tour of America. Yeah, what's your favorite? Do you have a favorite chain?
Speaker 3: Oh? It's Bojangles, It's Bojungles, Bojangles. You do. That was going to be an ask for sponsorship, but it turned a bit creep.
Speaker 1: I don't even think they sponsored podcasts.
Speaker 3: Which you think we could get bow Jungles.
Speaker 1: I love bow j Angles too. I feel like part of that is because I like Bowjngles, I'd be like, well, we have these options, but if you really want something good else?
Speaker 3: Serious question about the podcast? Sure, How worried were you that the story that you saw in Edinburgh and the real story were completely like there was nothing in common. How concerned were you when you first saw it? So I understand it only lasted until you researched it. But when you first saw it, were you like this story is bullshit.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. I saw your set, was so impressed and thought it was really interesting, and I thought the genre blending of crime in comedy was interesting. And I was just coming off of working at Warner Brothers and doing a bunch of crime shows, and I was always told like, don't do crime in comedy, especially what is a double homicide, which is very serious, you know, And so of course when they tell you don't do it for like ten years or work for almost eleven years, that's the only thing you.
Speaker 3: Want to do.
Speaker 1: So I saw your set and I was like, yes, So I think I reached out before I even researched anything. But then afterwards I was like, Okay, let me make sure that this guy's legit. And you were, and so I was like, sweet, that was very fortunate of me. So I think like part of it was me being told no for so long, don't do this, don't do this, and then I saw your set and I was like, but you can, it can exist. So let's try. I think it was just that, you know, I think I think it was just me trying to be a maverick and like say like, Okay, let's see if we can do this. And then there you were, and I was like, he is this kid is doing it now. So that was part of being attracted to the material naturally, and then I think, yeah, I once I did research, I was like, oh, how fortunate that it's true for me. What was your biggest hesitation for working with me to do this podcast?
Speaker 3: Inviting the whole world into a very small village, kind of knowing how quickly word spreads in the village we saw it, Yeah, parselves when we went into the standstead. Before I started working with you on this, I could go into that village and it was fine. It's definitely this project that has made them very cautious of me, and I don't think I'll ever go back there. But I'm kind of happy about that because I have not a lot of great things, a great memories. They're wonderful people, they're good people, but like, yeah, I was scared to invite the media circus into the village, and I knew how quickly people would be like guarded. I mean we got kicked out of yeah, two three pubs. No one would talk to us. The Career Club didn't want anything to do with us.
Speaker 1: So by the time I got there, you had accepted that, like we let these people tell the story. I can no longer really return because people will resent me for having opened the world to this story.
Speaker 3: It's not like I can't it's not like I can't go back. It's more that just I think, for the rest of my life in that village, I'll be the person did show about the village and the village they want to keep everything like hush hush. They want to move on completely, which is understandable. But yeah, that was the thing that surprised me most about this, all of this, was how quickly it went from the village being fine, like not noteworthy. I was just the comedian guy that left, to being actively not welcome anymore.
Speaker 1: I think that's something that people don't know, that you have to sacrifice when you're willing to open up and tell the truth because you're especially in nonfiction like you're that's exactly that people look at you differently, people who you've known for a super long time, people who are like super invested with and it's always surprising too, Like I think that's the cost that most people don't understand. And it is a brave thing. I mean, it legitimately is. And that's just something I might be a useless point, but it is an active decision and there isn't and there is a price to be paid to some degree and some people maybe some people never do depending on the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's what's the family price? Yeah, because I know, I know that you guys are good intentions, Like I trust you, I trust everyone we work with. My mom and dad don't know that. My brothers don't know that. They have to take me in my word, and like it's a lot to ask of people. It is a lot to ask. But I mean, she loved you when she met you, Carol, Carol loved you. Carol was so excited to have an American in her home room. And she's told all my family about it since, Like we had Americans over the Americans because.
Speaker 1: It's too I do remember Americans. The Americans are here, they are when you walked in, the Americans are here done.
Speaker 3: And he came touring up and he was something that probably won't make it onto the podcast that I feel like we should maybe let the listeners know. Sure, my father, my father was wildly inappropriate when he spoke to to Jody, not I mean, not in appropriate way towards you. He just told stories about my mother and his relationship from like really early on. And occasionally I'd open I was in the garden when you guys were talking, I'd open the door. I'd hear it and be like, fucking nope. And then in the car afterwards, you were like, well, we learned a lot about things we didn't ask.
Speaker 1: I heard all about how you were made.
Speaker 3: Ah. Man, that's so rough.
Speaker 1: I think it's so sweet that like they're very much in love. That is something I can discover. Yeah, it is gross, isn't it? And it's lovely. It's also adorable. But yeah, You're was not who I was expecting, least on the set. But it also sounds like he's changed tremendously as a person too. Carol was exactly who you I think portray.
Speaker 3: Carol hasn't changed since nineteen eighty nine. There's been no there's been no change. She was wonderful then, she's wonderful now. She likes what she likes Dad's completely changed. He's way mellower all of us are. I think, Yeah, it's weird. It's weird seeing my family interact with you guys. That was really difficult. That was the most difficult part of all of this, because I just wanted to manage them or like coach them on how to respond to you properly, because not in terms of what they said, just in terms of if you asked the question, answer the question right, just answer the questions, and you're not one that you thought of.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of empathy for you when you we literally went into your childhood home, met your parents and your brothers, and because I was like, oh my god, I can't imagine if I invited ed to my house to meet Kennon Sutobe, like I would just be so already kind of embarrassing for just because it's a little I don't know why. But then to talk about like obviously, like you know, the worst night of their lives, intimate details about growing up and being close to everybody involved in this story, I was I did, like I kind of felt like second hand cringe for you. Yeah, when we were there, but again, everybody was incredibly kind and gracious and fair and very you were raised. Well, everyone was really everyone was really chill.
Speaker 3: It was good. I felt like I was fourteen again. Yeah, I was straight back into like being an angsty teenager, which sucks, but yeah, it was good. What was your favorite part of all of this? Was there one moment, like a not like a finding out bit, but was there one bit of the last ten years that you thought.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing about this entire process has been watching TV with you and producer Charles.
Speaker 3: I want to take this moment. Yeah. Producer Charles doesn't get any time on this at all. We love Tenderfoot, we love everybody Donald, everyone's great. Producer Charles is the unsung hero of this podcast, and he doesn't want to be in front of the camera, but he is the best. Yes, And you've known producer Charles for how long?
Speaker 1: We met on my first day working at Warner Brothers Discovery, which would have been two thousand and January two thousand and six. So we sat next to each other and I just heard someone over the cube and I was like, who's this person? Because I'm from Atlanta, Charles is from North Carolina. Was like, oh, some I might have a friend and he did not want to be my friend. I do remember that at first, but eventually I wore him down and he's been a longtime collaborator. But yes, watching television. What have we watched together?
Speaker 3: We started off with Naked Attraction in the UK. I don't know if America have that yet they do?
Speaker 1: We do we have just recently, Yes.
Speaker 3: The British one or is it an American one?
Speaker 4: It's the British one. Okay, cool, full frontal, full frontal. We watched that here. A lot we watched. I mean while we were here, we've been watching j Loo's j Loo's, Jo's Amazon.
Speaker 1: Prime feature self made feature film, and the doc.
Speaker 3: And the documentary. And I actually watched Jaelo's feature film twice because someone gets to watch it. He wanted to watch it, so we watched it again. It's good the second time.
Speaker 1: It's like mystery This is how the best way to describe it to everyone else, Like I'm just here laughing, I'm contributing nothing, But it's like Mystery Science Theater three thousand. Do you remember that show? And it's the guys in the front just commenting, and it's you and Charles going back and forth, back and forth and it is. I firmly believe both of you could could make anything very funny. But those have been my favorite times is watching those. Yeah, just getting a little tipsy at the end of a very long day and then just listening to you guys riff a.
Speaker 3: Little little drunk and then something unhinged. Yes, and just listen to childs be funny. It's perfect.
Speaker 1: What else happened that's interesting along our journey that people might oh, our sound guy Joe, that's an interesting story.
Speaker 3: It is we should talk about Joe.
Speaker 1: So when we went to the UK the first time to record with your family and everybody, we brought a sound person along and Joe since then has been on Mister Beast and he competed and won like a quarter of a million dollars with another guy, and the challenge was ten thousand dollars for every day that you can live in the woods. So we got to watch that. It was very weird to watch Joe do that show.
Speaker 3: You'll know him Grizz Grizz. Yes, oh, sound guy Grizz. Yeah. He was funny as well. He was fun to watch Nati Attraction with.
Speaker 1: Yes, he pitched in he did yeah, and.
Speaker 3: That was when we were in I felt so self conscious because whenever I'm here it's like I don't want to bring it back to food. But Bojangles' got all these like amazing meals and stuff. When you came to England, you were walking over the road because we stayed outside of stance. Did you had to walk across a busy road on like the road in stats to get your coffee from a vending machine in the morning because there were no coffee shops. I felt so bad for you. It was so sad.
Speaker 1: It wasn't you know. But I do think like what is what is sad is riding across the road and getting like the coffee. But but like when this is something else, when you're released into a convenience store or a grocery store that's not in the country that you're from, looking at every single chip or crisps, looking at every single piece of candy, every drink, like that's exact. I would just sit there for like I'm sure they thought that I was weird or on drugs because I just like opened the fridge and just look at it very like look at everything, crazy person. Yeah, as if we didn't draw enough attention with.
Speaker 3: Our giant mic and our six foot six sound giants on guy then was almost the beast and our produce and one of our producers who sounded like it was from the deep deep South.
Speaker 1: In a little bit, you really did look like a Miley Cruse.
Speaker 3: I feel like you could have gotten away with it because you have quite a soft American accent. Yeah, Charles and Gris were just present.
Speaker 1: The most conspicuous, the most Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then my seat belt. So when you came to England, I had to drive you around everywhere. I just bought a new car and the seat belt broke on it. So the first ten minutes of us driving anywhere to any interview with me like tugging on the seat belt.
Speaker 1: At one point, I do remember, I was like, why don't you just circle the block head so you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, just just stay in the car, you're fine. Yeah, we had a good time. We do this is this is. I think it's unusual that a comedian would want to put their stand up set and again in like a vein of brave and different. What would you say to other comedians who are like looking into podcasting and telling a longer story, a close ended story kind of similar to ours. Is it something that would you never mind? I don't want to know if you would do it again? But what would you say to comedians I guess who are taking their material and doing different things.
Speaker 3: I would do it again. I would do it again. I think comedy depending what storytelling. Comedy and storytelling, AH go hand in hand. But when you start doing something like this, the storytelling element takes over. You need to be super good at having really uncomfortable conversations and uncomfortable questions asked of you, relinquishing control of because for a stand up we write, and we direct and we perform. Relinquish and control of what you've made. That's pretty difficult. It's super worth it, I really, I think it's been brilliant. It's been a really good experience. It's exciting to take something I made and watch it evolve into an entirely different project and peace and get it to a new audience. That's really great. But I wouldn't and this is I don't mean this in a joking way. I wouldn't say any of this has been comfortable. It's not. It's been really tricky conversations it's been killing a lot of my own personal darlings, and it's also been You've got to kind of confront the questions that people might have that you and the conversations people might have that you don't want to have. So I think it's really worth it, and I think it's it's such a great thing that we've made. But it's fucking difficult, man, It's really difficult. It's really, really, really properly hard.
Speaker 1: You put an incredible amount of trust and tenderfoot into me. You were co signing on me being in your hometown and saying, like, these people are cool, just tell them your story. I don't think that people who are professional writers and list makers as comedians aren't. Like, that's very uncommon. Like, it's extremely uncommon, I think because you're more focused in like the narrative space and you know, creating something from nothing, and instead, you know, I think my world is taking the facts and creating an interesting story from those facts. I have more constraints, I guess in that way. And so when you take those two genres, it was uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: For me too.
Speaker 1: I guess the answer like it was, it's not the same as making a documentary this is. This has been a totally different process, which I think is part of why it's taken a long time. It again, for me, while worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just the building a piece of work I have another pre existing piece of work was challenging because I had my own rules. I've got my own rules. Every tix seconds. There needs to be a laugh, it needs to be a payoff at the end, and you guys, and this project doesn't abide by those rules at all. So instantly, the second we start making something that doesn't follow the rules that I've set for myself, it's not it's not right. It needs to be funny, it needs to be this, that the other. But getting comfortable with the idea that we've told the funny silly, you know, stretch the truth on the childhood stories about me kind of version of it, knowing that that's like put to bed. And we recorded that in Atlanta, which we should talk about. It was amazing, and now we have to explore different areas of it. Because I wasn't hearing the laughter. Because it wasn't I didn't have an instant feedback. And that's another thing I'm nervous about this kind of project. I don't get instant feedback on stage. If you do a joke, the audience will tell you within a millisecond whether they approve or not. With this, I'm just kind of going here, you go yeah, and then I just have to sit back and wait. It's like phishing to see whether people like my story and see whether people write.
Speaker 1: You know, people react, So the wide range of reactions to this particular set, what's I guess give some context for, like the various things that have happened to you when you've told this story, because I think I've seen, I've seen now you perform at many times. It's different every time. The show is different every time. It's worth going to because the show is different and people's reactions are crazy. Like, what's some of the weirdest.
Speaker 3: I've received a lots of handwritten lotters when I was in Edinburgh, by a lot, I don't mean huge amounts of My old agent got a lot of letters that you passed on to me, which were very sweet and it's very nice, but it was weird a lot.
Speaker 1: What were people What were people writing about to you?
Speaker 3: People that had seen the show and it resonated with them, and to letting me know their favorite bits of it and letting me know things that happened to them. There was a lot that there are a lot obviously there's not a lot of murdered things, but a lot of people wrote to me about having a childhood bully. A lot of people wrote to me about growing up in a small town. I got a lot a lot of people that were from different communities, like in terms of sexuality, stuff like that, who grew up in a community where they felt very othered, and they were like, this is quite this kind of mirror is what I went through. It was really cool. Yeah, a lot of dms. And one woman ran on the stage and hugged me in Atlanta, and I thought I was going to get stabbed in the guts, which was the scariest thing. I'm sure she's lovely, but just after the show finished in Atlanta, a lady charged the stage and like I there was a second round. Was like, I'm going to be stabbed. I'm going to be stabbed now.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy when that happened. I was there when that happened, and I was like, oh sweet. And then my husband Nate said later he was like, you don't know what what she was going to do. And I was like, that's a really good point. I assumed wrongly that she was emotionally led to she was connected to the material in some way, but yeah, you're right, other way.
Speaker 3: Could have Nate has been your husband. Nate has been.
Speaker 1: He's a champion.
Speaker 3: He's been a champion for letting me into his house and also for running the bar when we did the show with and he doesn't drink. He doesn't drink.
Speaker 1: People had the worst drinks that night because he was like, quantities are I mean, it's probably the best thing for you. But people were very drunk.
Speaker 3: Well, everyone was drunk.
Speaker 2: A different race though, because his was like you're getting so you'd have a husband and wife and the husband was like.
Speaker 3: It was just fucking chaos. On the first night, everyone was a different like parties. Oh that was good.
Speaker 1: Do you are you waiting at other crime scenes now to get your next show?
Speaker 3: Or what's the like this waiting unactively participating?
Speaker 1: What's the next what's the next one that you're doing? Give I'll give you the toss up here.
Speaker 3: The next show that I'm doing. Yeah, Well, when we came to Atlanta, I finished the last recording and you took me to the Clamon And for people that are listening to it that maybe don't know it, Uh, how.
Speaker 1: Would you describe for Claremont human zoo human zoo?
Speaker 3: It is? You can google the Clamont. People could google the Clamont. I got taken to the Clamont and I had a crazy night and I ended up riding around the beltline Atlanta on scooters and a lot happened. And so now I am also telling the story of that night of the clam Night, specifically the Clermonent incident. And it's a feel good thing. It's believe in yourself show.
Speaker 1: It's not like the It's not like it's that.
Speaker 3: It's a really dumb story of me getting a lap dance from a seven year old stripper under your supervision.
Speaker 1: I didn't pay for it. Now I know who did, but I will not. I'm not going to out them.
Speaker 3: We do, we do know who did.
Speaker 1: And support the working girls of the Claremont Lounge because they are literally the best.
Speaker 3: We do support them. They are wonderful and they were very nice to having a little English kid who'd never been anywhere like that before. I must have just had the widest arts because that was all new to me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I it's so there's no photos that you're that's the big rule of the Claremont Lounge. They've kicked out a lot of celebrities for having their phones in there and taking a picture. I think there's.
Speaker 3: Black Keys with Madonna.
Speaker 1: Yes, big bands have been kicked out because they got their phones out. So everything really just lives. What's cool though, is it in your memory when you what's left of your memory when you're at the Claremont. But yeah, so it's like there's really no trace of that night. It's just whatever you remember and can corroborate from your friends who were there.
Speaker 3: Here's a question. Yes, So what's the one moment from the last ten years that stands out to you as And I'll do mine first. You've got time to think about it. But the one moment that you kind of think of and you're like, that was the highlight? That one, but it was highlight. I've got two, okay. First one was seeing World of Hats in Atlanta. A World of Hats, a store that's just hats. You want scarfs. World of Hats isn't the place for you. Second one was the live show seeing like the community all come together and seeing like everyone get into that little space and we like set a gig up yeah to debut it, and it was just perfect. It was like sold too, sold out big rooms. The energy was lovely and there were such different shows, So that would be one.
Speaker 1: I definitely think recording in Atlanta is my favorite because I think that's when I understood the material the most, seeing how one night can be different than another night and you're just reading the room. I think this is something. This isn't my favorite moment. I do think it's the TV watching. I'll be honest, like it's just my favorite thing to do with you guys. But I think when I realized that you were who you are. What you portray on stage is a slightly heightened version of who you are, but you really are who you are. I was like, it's that chaos does follow you places like that is absolutely true, and I'm not a person who chaos. I probably like, as a producer, invite myself into controlled chaos, but I'm very much not that girl. But that was when I realized it's like, oh, like, just weird things happened to you.
Speaker 3: All quite a long time, really weird really weird amounts of stuff when we got lost in Walmart.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when I had paid you like a child?
Speaker 3: Yeah, lady had to speak to me over the big voice in this in the ceiling, and then I had to come away. I was looking at the bread. But I do like the stories that we have from work on this show. I've got some bangers and some weird shits happened to me the second I will leave your vision, I end up in weird house parties in the suburbs of Atlanta. Yeah, all fun, though I'm safe, didn't get stabbed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has been really I've worked on a lot of shows, first podcast certainly that I've ever hosted. But the fact that it took so long, the fact that I think we're buddies like because of it, and that it has been hard, I mean COVID hit in between us like in between this time, Like, I mean, it really has been such a as much a labor of love as it's been a really great experience. But it's like it's probably my like iconic project like this one for sure.
Speaker 3: And it's your first time in front of the mic as well. Yeah, that's the question I should have asked you. Is this been would you go back to?
Speaker 2: Not? Not?
Speaker 3: Would you go back? Has this been difficult to get into?
Speaker 1: My plan was never ever to be here, like this is my true nightmare. Not know with you but this and.
Speaker 3: Like that, like be so good at it. You're so good at your voice is so.
Speaker 1: Good at I I think, like, honestly, it's helped having Charles, who is both my best friend, collaborator and r EP and writer on the show, just being like just get over yourself, like he will put me in my place. And I think that's kind of kept it kept it real, which has been great. But I would happily. I don't know. I just I love story you and I think the one thing we share is we love stories. We love it good story. Michael was always to stay as far behind the lens and the microphone as possible. But when it made sense that I was the host because I was the one that chased you down across continents for many years to tell the story, I was like, yeah, it just makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I but I feel like we partnered with the right getting Tenderfoot and Pain and Dealer News like behind the camera like everyone, yeah, we've we lucked out with the people that we ended up going with.
Speaker 1: They've been extraordinarily patient, they've been kind, they've been respectful to the story, to all the people, Like I mean to take out a project that like it takes a podcast like five years to get off the ground, because we were doing our own thing for five years previously. So like, but the fact that they've been so patient and then helpful obviously when it's time, like you're right, we got particularly lucky and.
Speaker 3: They've got I think it's because I deal with this like other podcasts of this. Yeah, so they used to wild shit. I just think it's been new for them having to deal with wild shit told by like not by a weird comedy boy Weird Comedy.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good title. Weird Comedy Weird Comedy Boy.
Speaker 3: Season two sees awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what's what's the next thing.
Speaker 3: In terms of my career in terms of projects I'm working on, I'm doing the clam on and I'll be touring and I'll be doing all that stuff, and I'll be I tell you what, I'm really excitedful. I am excited to see how people take this because I have no clue. I have no clue this could be anything, and I'm just, yeah, I'm curious to see what people think, what about you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go get a great massage, like just like a ninety minute or like a two hour.
Speaker 3: That's my plan.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kind of the same way as you. Like, I'll keep making my shows and my movies and all that stuff. But I'm very interested in the feedback as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Guess it's important say we tried so hard to be considerate and sensitive towards everyone involved in both the story people who are adjacent to the topics of the story. I'm sure we failed at some points, and I feel like I need to instantly apologize for that. That was certainly never our intention, But we really tried. I mean it took a decade. So just no, we weren't. You know, we weren't just like sitting around. But I do think, like the feedback is what I'm most interested in. And I think this is cool because again, this was like a big weather balloon test for me. Can you tell this horrifying, disgusting, deep thing that involves you know, police, mental health, like other families, neighbors, small town versus you know, big city and all these themes and tell it in an entertaining and impactful way. So the impact is like, honestly, I'm waiting to hear that so then I can kind of like point my compass to the next thing. So that's honestly what what I'm gonna do. I got the massage. Well, thanks ed Thanks Jody, thank you Edward. I think this was good. I'm glad we did this.
Speaker 3: Do you want to go and get by? Jungles would luck to