Speaker 1: How's it going good?
Speaker 2: Questions Diam Diamond, Laura, how would you just to evaluate his camp so far?
Speaker 1: I think it's been solid, you know. I think that he you know, being able to go inside outside. I think he's taking that next step, just another year of just being comfortable and being able to see it. And you know, like I've said in the past, it's tough to do that within a game, you know, to play inside and outside, like are you okay base? Now you're outside nickel, go play the nickel. And I think it's just clicking that much faster. It's like anything time on task. He just continues to get better in both spots because he's playing both spots, So that part's good him.
Speaker 2: Was it something like, you know, just kind of getting passibley where he's felt like he was thinking through things too much and now he's just more reacting. Is it?
Speaker 1: That's it? I mean, that's really it. That's really anybody. How fast can you get away from the thinking about everything to where you're anticipating and just reacting. That's really the main goal with anyone. And usually you see with the young guys or rookies when they start to flash early, it's it's because they grasped it quickly, you know, and then then it starts to click, and that's really the goal. How quickly can it you know, be second nature and be reactive.
Speaker 3: Jalen Graham got some reps with the starters there at the end. What are you see from those two linebackers in particular.
Speaker 1: The same thing. They're just you know, getting better because it's starting to click for him. And you know, I talk about you know, speed, violence, and finish. To me, a lot of speed is yeah, you run fast, but speed is also your preparation and your knowledge of the game. Because you hear veteran guys say it all the time. All the games slowed down. For me, it slowed that well, you know, you look so much faster because it did slow down, because now you're more comfortable and you're understanding. Now you anticipate, you know, based on motions and alignments, and it's the stuff happens as you think it should happen, and now you can go make plays. And that's where you're seeing. D almost had a pick today, you know, and that backed up here because again the game's slowing down and he's playing faster. Same with Jalen between d and Devondre and Jalen.
Speaker 4: How do you go by determining which which of the two will be out there when you're in the nickel.
Speaker 1: Well, Devondre is he's out there with with Fred. So it's just a good group of linebackers. I think a lot of those guys, even Zeke Turner, who's new, you know, he's come in, he's fit in. Curtis Robinson has had a nice camp and flame when he's you know, back healthy the times he's been in, he's always been a staple for us that can play all three positions. And even Tatum Bethune, you know, one of our late round picks, he's done a nice job. He's starting to grasp it well. I think you see that with a lot of the guys that we brought in period. There are type of guys and they care and it makes sense to him and they're starting to you know, We've got this great competitive group on defense on all levels and that's the part that's exciting.
Speaker 3: It seems like Gyr Brown's going above and beyond when it comes to communicating what have you seen from him and jumping from year one to year two and just as far as intangible. It's not not so much on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again the comfort and the confidence. I think he can anticipate things. He's starting to do more communicating out there, and again that's it's that's what's gonna You're gonna find out Ken Without Huff out there, what are Geo and Tig gonna do? You know? And those guys stepped up, they elevated their game. Huff is a great communicator. You know, get as well who's not here, right, So those guys get this opportunity and they get all these extra reps and now they're stepping in and doing a really nice job. And it's through all those extra reps that you're seeing that improvement different ways.
Speaker 2: Can you can you use Yeter growth Monsos?
Speaker 3: I feel like I've seen Hi rush inside outside drop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we he can you know, mix it up. Like I said, he's an interior pass rusher as well. Like he gets after it and you know, it's it's exciting to have him because he's very multiple. He can beal so far really talented guy.
Speaker 2: But from where he was last year to.
Speaker 1: Now, it starts again the same thing. It's another year of being able to get on his lines and be explosive and think less. If he's a really explosive and fast guy, like he can really run, and if he can just stay on that track and continue to get better, he's going to be a good player.
Speaker 2: Linebackers, you talk about like the versatility you want, especially in backup guys. You kind of thread the needle when you've got a guy like like Graham for example, where you want him to get comfortable at Mike, but also maybe you're going to need him at Sam, Like, how do you just kind of work through that? And in terms of getting reps in a different spot.
Speaker 1: Based on the player and what we know about him, and as you get to know him, what you think is their best spot. That's something that you know, Johnny Holland is you know always kind of and everybody really when we evaluate guys what you think they could play. But when you're young in a backup, Okay, what are the two spots I can play? So there is some value as you get older if you can play multiple spots, just like I say about demo guys that play nickel and corner or people that have played nickel and safety. If you have that versatility, it's good. Same with linebacker. I mean it's different, Oh am I making the calls, you know, as the mic, and you're in a different spot and you could have some different responsibilities, or am I the will of the same where I could be more outside. And with Jalen, you know, he had never really been in the boxing college. You know, he was a high school quarterback too. He's a good athlete, he's smart. So we're like, okay, let's see how he is at Mike. And he's handled it well. But you still need to have the versatility like you see with you know, Curtis Robinson who's been here a while, and Flan and you know, the more they get, the more they add to their value.
Speaker 2: The harder when you have a guy who you're using more at Mike to get them reps at other places just because there's so much more on their plate when when they're taking no.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can still get multiple spots. I think early you started early, you know, kind of like what we did with Ronardo with Nickel, we made sure we got in both spots. You don't want to you don't necessarily just totally shock somebody later with something that's harder, you know, but you can you trickle it in as you see it based on the player and what you think they can handle, and so it's it's never the same for everybody. Everybody's different.
Speaker 3: The third down defense wasn't great last season. What would you say the key is to improving that aspect of the defense this year?
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's a few things. It's a lot of times it's just execution and you know, harping on the details and being really really detail oriented with how we rush, how we cover, and just those two things tied together. It's always so much these things are so close and so minuscule that if we just continue to stay consistent with how tight can we be with our details, that extra half a step is you know, a winner or a loss on that play.
Speaker 4: Guys are a deep a defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: It seems.
Speaker 4: What do you and Chris think so far of Evan Anderson and what does he need to work on to make this team?
Speaker 1: I think he's done a nice job. But with him, again, it's the guys learning the attack and being on their line, getting your footwork right. With him, it's you know, being consistent in your steps and your footwork. He has the power. He's an athletic guy for a big guy. But it's just, you know, how consistent can he be? And our offense gives us, you know, good looks. They give us a lot of looks. You get a lot of movement. It's you know, good players with you know, explosive O line. So he's getting a lot of work. He's gotten better.
Speaker 4: Is there a process with deciding if young normanor is best always outside or best being outside and rotating to Nickel? Is there any like process behind that? Or is he pretty much just the best nipple guy so he's.
Speaker 1: Always going to Well, we've been kind of rotating. We kind of mixed things up, and you always want to try and change things up and see what guys can handle at different times. And that's that's pretty much what we've been doing a lot of positions. We'll see you before the next weekend. Coach Shanahan and yourself and you guys decided, will any of the starters see the field in the in the first preseason game. I'm sure Kyle will handle that and we'll talk through it. You call plays for the first time preseason game, I am. I'm excited because it's fun when you get to some of these, we started getting into the move of the ball periods where it's not scripted, and it makes it just more fun, you know. And it's also with your process of you know, your coaching staff and who's giving you personnel and how we hand that off and how we communicate to the players and you know, being in a rhythm. There's been some different situations to where you can call different calls, but those true move the ball, that's where it feels the most like football. You know, a bit of a random questions.
Speaker 3: You don't work closely with him, but Bobby Turner is somewhat of a legendary figure.
Speaker 1: Yes, his tone is extremely meticulous, among other things. How would you describe what you know.
Speaker 3: Him, just his coaching style and why he has a reputation.
Speaker 1: You're right pretty much what you've said, meticulous on it, passionate, very serious. But he you know, in talking with him, I think at one of the away game dinners or something like, he was a really good athlete, like multi sport athlete too, so he's like he'll he'll talk about that too, But as far as his football and getting the players right, that's that's his number one. Like he's going to take care of that. And he's a heck of a coach and he's very very detailed and very serious about it, and that's why you see so much production, and that's why he's coached for so long. A lot of respect for him.
Speaker 3: Is ever not serious.
Speaker 1: No, he'll joke around here and there. I've seen him joke around here and there. Yeah, yeah, yeah, thanks guys,