Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Selling's podcast with your host.
Speaker 2: Now fuck that with your load glasses malone.
Speaker 3: Click click bow y'alld dove kick the frame in Nigga, Let the games begin as I stand then tossed the tall cand on the campus, out the land of the scan list, taking penitentiary chances, sick wooded off the rick wooded blue beanie, knitted freshly acquidded, grind grime me the big body and the big body with lyrics and drulics hotter than a hobby selling globo, bailing career, felling escalate, three braive beer wear, fuck it a thug for free and thug eat. Niggas call me your hog kid because I love the cheese thanks to hustlers pimps. If you follow me, let me see you put your hands up like a robbery. I solemnly swear to stay down and slain the sea. I spit in the name of the streets.
Speaker 2: I'm gone a row, nigga artist.
Speaker 3: Love sea is hard.
Speaker 2: Niggas are real live city.
Speaker 1: What's funny is when niggas be talking about dub and they really got on him because of when he became a better songwriter, right, and it really the chance, the chance style, you know what I mean, that made him like such a better songwriter. But most people only discovered him, you know, because his songwriting got better, right, the records got better, So now you're hearing it the more right and it worked out for him well. But it's funny that people don't realize how dope of an MC he is.
Speaker 2: Just flat out Oh.
Speaker 3: Dub is a lyricist. I think people get caught too cut up with the bing bing bang bang and all that stuff, you.
Speaker 1: Know, which is necessary, which is necessary if you want to be a great songwriter, Like when he did the Top Head.
Speaker 3: My favorite one from him is that's right, y'all, go ahead, dub go ahead, rock that shit the top shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah on my track walk Jaggie as fuck with the slow funk example, the problem to that song.
Speaker 2: You are the ones? You are the ones you you Yeah.
Speaker 1: Double So thinking about early dub C, you know what I'm saying, like low profile, hearing some of his stuff when I was younger, then hearing it as an adult mass circle, you know what I'm saying, Like he was already an MC. You could tell he was like vested in hip hop a lot different than most West Coast artists. But you know, even as he developed into a better record rider where he would have those jingles and chants, that is amazing And it's funny that again people define him as an MC that way. They're like, oh, this is the type MC is, Like, Nah, duve really rapped for me, But he also became such a better record It's like hearing the later ice Q without hearing the early ice Q.
Speaker 2: Like if you never heard kill that, will you.
Speaker 1: Know death certificate kid America's most you know, straight out of content any of that stuff, and you only heard you know, uh and you own only heard like dubs like ice Cube off West Side Connection, mm hm, you know what I mean? Where he's uh got lyrics to Wake of Spirits. They showed me how to spin big heads. Oh no, they showed me how to wake digits and spin digits. Like if you hear him later on where he's yayy I pushed, Like, if you only heard that ice Cube, you kind of missed what made ice qbe fantastic as an MC before me record.
Speaker 3: Writer listening to pay Dues DUBC and listening to later dub C has two different experiences because pay Due's DUBC was hard to see him too. But when he started just thinking about Halleen Genistad, he was to put top Cat in your wrap that you do stage right for the Radical Evening, we got the mass circle in the house this evening. Get down. Then you're dune quit Yeah, rock rocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hard.
Speaker 3: That was hard saying.
Speaker 1: But to me, like the mastery part of m saying dog is when you do something that becomes your own. See like, yes, there is a traditionally dope MC where they just put words together and they have a decent flow and you know the words. But then there's a mastery as a rapper where you start to do things that only become you doing them. That's where to me, dub C is at or Ice Q, where they start to do things that uniquely become just their own.
Speaker 3: That's well, you know what the thing is, man, and I know we feel in this conversation we was gonna talk about some whole other stuff. The thing about Duve what people don't understand is that dub is a master human beat boxer. Dub is a master freestyle of dub is a real.
Speaker 1: MC, your master, and it's funny you saying that, you know, whereever fuck with the conversation was supposed to go.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think there's a difference between a rapper and an MC, Like a MC is judged by really how they write for the most part, and you wouldn't think they are, but they're really judged by how they're right, how they write, you know, double entendres, similes, you know, blah blah blah or master. Rapper is judged by how dope their professional rap songs are. So a lot of the times when we call somebody just rapping on a corner rapping, Yes, rapping, but that's really m seeing they're controlling the space. Yeah, yeah, But a rapper is really judged by how you know, they actually make a rap record work. And it's funny because I think as a as an MC, I'm on a like a final level of getting to where that is to where uniquely what I do is only minds.
Speaker 2: I haven't got there yet.
Speaker 1: Where Dub is at so or where Cube is at or where jay Z is at.
Speaker 2: It's still a step.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like it's like when you find that glow, like with a Bruce Lee Royd.
Speaker 3: It's like they got the glow for sure. I'm gonna tell you one of my most memorable experiences. Me and high Sea probably performed at Choir Canyons probably a hundred times easily. And I remember it was high Sea, dub C and MC breed Rest and pre SMC Breed And for dub just to have the awareness that we was in the house full of Mexican people and he said, we're all just little shit, like we're all my latinos at and how they went crazy and how he just started getting his walk on and he just did all that fly gangs and stuff that night. Even for Breed to come out there and have the awareness to say, Okay, I'm not gonna do all these songs. He just started off with to the Beach, y'all that's dope and wasn't gonna kill a vibe and he just had a rocking dog. He did that song three times in the row that night.
Speaker 1: And people want to hear it, especially that song. I'm I'm I know I'm a master in ce. I mean I'm at a place to where I write uniquely in my own style, my own flow, my own pace, a master rapper where I master a rap style to where when you hear it, every time you can separate him be like, oh that's just glasses No. And to me it's like I probably can MC as great as you can MC. Like I could probably be on a song with Rock Kim or a song with car Face and have a memorable verse. But can I make I seen a man die? Is true mastery as a rapper, not as MC as a rapper. You know, to have a sixteen that I can compete with. I can compete with Lil Wayne when at a time I knew I couldn't, Like now I can compete with Lil Wayne when we're rapping on the same song. But can I make a MILLI? Can I make a rap song that becomes infinitely mind to where you hear it, you could automatically say that's a glasses rap song. And to me, it's the difference between M singing and rapping. Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you man, when you start talking about Lil Wayne, that's as good as it gets. C that's as good as a Getting scar faced is as good as it gets. Even hole, that's as good as it get.
Speaker 2: You know, what's funny. Dub C is as great as it gets.
Speaker 3: Hard.
Speaker 1: But the difference is the production got to be at a certain level and Dubb didn't really get that. You see the one album he did with battle Cat, he got a gold album independently, not with a death jam, you know, I mean they switched it up and try to figure it out on the next album, but the shadiest one, you know what I mean, you got something special, Like he's a master, even if you know his sales sheet doesn't show it, but to go go independently proves it.
Speaker 3: Actually, well you know what, you would think that dub would have double back with battle Cat. I'm gonna tell you some I'm gonna break some news on those ceilings right now. Sure, I'm like in the process of executive producing album for MC eight. Right yeah, this is gonna be his last album, that's what he's saying. And I don't like when rappers say that, but you know, he said this is gonna be and me knowing a that kind of take him seriously because he don't say stuff just for shock value and just and that was one of the things looking at, saying, Okay, what can I add to a story? Career. You know, eight don't have three gold albums. He just had three gold albums. Hen been around for you and stood the test of time. Dog, you know how hard it was the last thirty thirty five years in this game. It's very few people that can do that. And still, you know, he suck just sold out Europe and I think he's a lot bigger than what he thinks he is. He's a lot more repaired than what he thinks than.
Speaker 2: In his mind MC eight.
Speaker 3: And what I realized with eight is that what made eight, what made all those gold albums and success, what made music to drive by and all that of success, right, it was the sonics of it this because he had a producer around him. Those were really producer leg you know, he had.
Speaker 1: DJ Slip, one of the colder you know, he had DJ Slip. Credit man Slip is amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh we Slip is amazing. But I looked and I said, Okay, what's the two thousand who can be his twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five DJ Slipping and as crazy as it is. And we was talking to rock Marsa. He shout out to the hommy rock. He understands the sonics that made eight great because that's what he grew up on, right, and that's what influenced him. It's a lot of soul for stuff, you know, a lot of soul for jazzy stuff. So I think that's gonna be real interesting, man. But what I want to do is incorporate some battlecat in with that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny, man. So first off, no seilings gl.
Speaker 1: Peter's in California, but I think he's a little busy so we might not get him. So I got my big brother Steal as usual recurring person on those seilings, and we're just talking about some flat out hip hop.
Speaker 3: Eight.
Speaker 1: You know what made eight special? He had a version of blues funk, you know, I mean it was funky blues. So it does have a jazzy element, but it's really bluesy when you think like all for the Money, you know what I mean. That's a jazz song, but it's more of a bluesy style jazz song when you think of you know, the song that they did using clear Patrick's theme boys, and that's bluesy, like eight is more of a blues funk person and as now if okay, So it's funny that I wanted to talk to you about this, and I didn't even call you to talk about this. But I think people confuse what a A and R job is. And I think it's because record labels never really did a great job of explaining.
Speaker 3: Itz A and R.
Speaker 2: They don't produce your records.
Speaker 1: See there's a confusion that A and RS just bring you beats and you rap and they put together album. It's not really what happens. A producer producer is your records ignor's job is outside of finding talent, finding marketable talent, is they become a bridge between a product that a label is financing and a product manager.
Speaker 2: Right, how to market? Right? So how are we going to market it? That's the trick.
Speaker 1: So they hear where the production of the record is going, they figure out a marketable kind of it used to be a marketable sonic or a vibe or feel, and they say, Okay, I know where this project is going. Okay, I'm going to add other people that fit the vibe of this, that have marketable elements features I'm going to go get Okay, you have.
Speaker 2: DJ Slip, let me go get something from.
Speaker 1: Let's say a Justice League, because they have a huge version of blues. Let's go get something from Mike Dean and Scarface because really in the world Scarface, where were produce on the last MC eight album Scarfacing Mike Dean that in a perfect world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a perfect world. But you know, and that's the thing as an A and R and I really feel like that's my job to go get the most successful people that's gonna make sense for this, right.
Speaker 2: I will love it.
Speaker 1: It's not your job. Let me tell you your job. And I'm glad because now I'm glad we're putting it together. The sound crazy we just thought. So your job is to figure out how we gonna market it market eights album, not not you to figure out. Your job is to figure out a marketable angle and you communicate that with a product manager so they know which place is to put it the audience that's looking for this type of shit. And then right if Rob Marcy, let's say he's doing the line share of the production is to find the marketable pieces to help access the blues feel of what it is a do and then incorporate that so the product manager has a marketable project product rather and also you know edges on the project that is marketable, certain features that fit that blues type of space, right that space. That's your job, not just to go find a bunch of names that kind of don't fit obviously, you know this not to fit the thing, but really marketable things like maybe it's you know, finding a big blues musician and having him play something, and really because you you're putting it somewhere where, because you're marketing the features, you're marketing the producer, you're marketing all of these these are extra marketing edges outside of the MCA ben into.
Speaker 3: Just imagine this man like I just put an email off you know, Bob james E is right.
Speaker 2: Of course to do, not onlist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I put an email out to him because I have some because Aid has a certain sound on. When he's on that sound, it's really just special. It's something special. But I think he has limited himself over the last number of years. Ada is a great m C too.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't think he's limited himself. I think he kind of played ball. I think he played the space that he knew his audience liked.
Speaker 3: And see when I say limiting, I'm not talking about his music in the musical space it's like eight has a hard time sometimes recognizing who he is in the culture.
Speaker 1: I would imagine, I mean, if you genuinely the Snoop is the same way, fucking Snoop Dogg is the same way. I remember talking to Snoop and it's funny because I had this really deep conversation telling him who he was to the culture. And don't get me wrong, Snoop is definitely Snoop. He's not some insecure person for the most part, but I really don't think he.
Speaker 2: Understood who Snoop was.
Speaker 1: And I remember it was me and Jay Rock shout out to Jay Roff, my boyfriend TV. It's one of my day ones, and we got to this whole thing, and I was telling Snoop what he meant to us, like it was a conversation that I think in his mind he thought was gonna go totally different and like and it went to a space that he wasn't even expected, like what you mean to the future of the West and culturally what you represent?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like that shit, I remember that conversation.
Speaker 1: I'm cussing this nigga out in front of Dash everybody, and I'm like, bro, do you know what you mean to Nigga's dog, Like, do you this is in two thousand and nine. I'm on one crutch with one gun and I'm telling this like, you mean the world, bro? Do you understand what it means if you just say, hey, I see you doing your thing, nephew, That shit will make you think you could conquer the world. And I'm like, I think he don't get in his Like now I think he's getting it, you know what I mean? Because he came on club. I was like, you know what, and he said, he said, glasses really made me see a lot of shit that I never tripped off of.
Speaker 2: And it's hard because he driving the car. He ain't really tripping off where he's going. He just driving the motherfucker. But look at this motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Not only is he on the super Bowl stage still being equipped when most of hip hop, you know, will kind of let the culture go to move into another space, even something as simple as their name. Snoop Dogg is Snoop Dogg right fucking now, like Ice Tea is Iced Tea. Ice Tea as a sixty six year old man in hip hop. Currently when he does SVU, that screen don't say Tracy Morrow. That's that motherfucker, say Ice Tea. It's amazing for you, like the people you revere in the culture to go and lead, like, hey, you know what hip hop can do everything. So you see Snoop doing the Olympics and he's the life of the event, you know what I mean? That makes it easier for somebody to follow in their footprints, you know, take it to another place. And I'm I'm a huge fan of that.
Speaker 3: I believe first and foremost you just said something that was key. You have to stay a fan of the music. So me being a fan, it's almost like you get to like coach Brett Fahr from his last game, right in one of his last games, you know, this great story quarterback that don't have like a Hall of Fame career. He's already a Hall of Famer, but you're trying.
Speaker 1: That's a good comparable for West Coast hip hop. Two MCA and Brett Fahr.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying to where a dude that's just back, got the battle scars on him and it's like versus just eight just doing another album. I wanted him to do an album and have it to where to where he got the bells and whistles with it, to where he got a marketing budget, to where it's everything is in place, you feel what I'm saying, to where everything where he's really getting a fair shot.
Speaker 1: So so my opinion if you want minees obviously you've been doing hip hop lore your opinion.
Speaker 3: Anyway, little bro, I'm coming to ask you a lot of stuff too, like I've been asked.
Speaker 2: You've been doing hip hop longer than me.
Speaker 1: But just the clarity, right, the stream of conscience that I've received, what it is MC eight as a blues musician is really where it's at. Like nobody does a level of blues. Don't get me wrong, you can implement soul, you gonna have a little kind of jazz too, But man as a blues musician, that's where he's he's like ingenious and it makes him that bluesy funk that that compon is most wanted is known for.
Speaker 2: Is why they have a unique place in scene today.
Speaker 3: And further, like.
Speaker 1: Making short people understand, hip hop is culture before music. It's the one thing that that makes it a little different. It's about the culture first. So stamping down on something culturally relevant and then making a product around that and still you.
Speaker 3: Know what, still having a wisdom. What happens a lot of times is that the OG producer get pushed to the side for the new cat right, which is crazy. We goos really make Slip involved, Like Slip is gonna be very involved with this thing. You feel what I'm saying, it's gonna be. He's gonna be very involved. And I think you almost have to do that in order to have that original essence that's the sauce.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's time we call that this time. I call it Andre to try to get a fair to get them too. Dudes that never did nothing now.
Speaker 3: They never did anything together. I think Dre and Nate would be awesome, and that's been my goals. It's like, the thing that scared me about eight is when he said this is gonna be his last album he did as serious, you know, it's like he won't to do other things not right. And that's not to say he not going ever rap again, not, but as far as trying to put the albums out and through all that, I think he's kind of done everything it is to be done almost, you know, and that would be awesome to be able to get a Dray involved. I want everybody on the coast of walls in this.
Speaker 2: You know, well I should I want only ebody would make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that fit makes sense. I had a crazy conversation right with Richie Rich. Shout out to Richie Rich, Smokelan.
Speaker 2: I heard his leg.
Speaker 1: If y'all seen the it's a clip of going around where he just fell down and he was still rapping his verse. Uh, the injury all familiar with it. I had that injury on both legs. It's a torn for Teler tended and he had tour his before it tour again and you know obviously had the in surgery, but he still wrapped this whole verse and it is a it is a painful thing, but if you felt it, you kind of like know what's going on.
Speaker 2: And but I had a conversation with him before today.
Speaker 1: I had a conversation with him, not before, but today. And there was a time when hip hop were classic. Hip hop wasn't really getting the credit, like they didn't seem like they had the following like short forty Snoop. They weren't really being booked in arenas you know. In the late two thousands, it was kind of like hip hop still had this stigma where if you were not you know, if you wasn't Jay Z or you know Eminem that, you know, the business wasn't as profitable to do it with you. There was a there was a bit of agism in the in the in the whole entertainment industry for older hip hop acts. I had a really dope conversation with ad brother named Adrian. They used to run KD and they were working on like a summer Jam type of event, and he was trying to book Wayne and Wayne with so much money. And I remember coming to tell him, like you know, he was having a conversation. I'm like, why don't you just get all of the heritage acts from the West Coast. He's like, man, you know, I don't know if they could sell out the forum. I'm like, of course they could. He said, why would they? And I said, if you put all of the heritage you know, West Coast hip hop acts, you have thirty years of fandom right like you have, you know, twenty to thirty years of fandom going on smash hit records, and it'll make all the audience and fans go back into a space to where they remember good times in their life. I'm like, hell yeah, you'll sell out that arena. He thought it was so crazy, but to his credit, shout out to a d because he did it.
Speaker 2: He was like, all right, I'm gonna do it, and he did it.
Speaker 1: And he puts together this idea called how the West was Going and up selling out I think in the first five days, and I remember him adding me to the show because he was like, this is.
Speaker 2: Dope, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And since then they've added another thing that's just like that called crush Groove. I say all that to say that there are such a huge value in our legends of this thing we call hip hop.
Speaker 2: Huge value.
Speaker 1: It's just up to you to understand how to really materialize it bring it to life. But there's a huge value and you don't it don't got to just be jay Z like Buster Rahm's dub C. I mean, those guys are valuable, you know I mean, And even if if they get confused, because I'm sure as you grow older, you know what I mean, you like, oh man, where do where's my place in in something?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 1: You know that is definitely few by a youthful energy because culture is very much.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing with hip hop, g And I'm gonna tell you this. When people say that hip hop is a young man's game, it's not because the elder statesman can't do it a high level. This because hip hop has always been built on you for angst and youthful aggression. Young angry dude, young angry people.
Speaker 2: But you know it's funny.
Speaker 1: I had a conversation with a Hammy and while I agree, I think that's partially true. You know why I disagree, and it's not a complete truth. The business of hip hop has always been older. The production pop has always been older. Sylvia Robinson, who did Rapper's Delight and The Message, the producer of both of those songs, This lady is forty some years old when this is happening.
Speaker 2: You look at Mally Mal when he had Is Run. Molly Mal is thirty years old.
Speaker 1: You know, by the time he start doing all this stuff for Heavy D and Kane and the Juice Crew. You look at Dre when he finally does the stuff for NWA. You know, even as a producer, he's what twenty six, twenty seven at that point. By the time he does Snoop he's thirty, you know what I mean, By the time he got fifty cent, you know, he's forty something. Time he does eminem, he's just about forty, you know what I mean. By the time he does game. You know, we're talking about two thousand and six, he's forty three. He got so again, I agree that hip hop, it does have a place for the youth to push the agenda because you gotta have this kind of.
Speaker 2: That's when you at your most cultured, when you do.
Speaker 3: You know, you always talk about your thorns, you know, you always talk about thorns. Well, you're young, you got your thorns, and you a lot less like me. Now. It's just certain shit I'm not gonna say.
Speaker 1: And the reason that is is because you're an adult, right you grew up here just growing up.
Speaker 2: You got kids. Everybody looking at you differently when you was a young knucklehead that just moved along beach as a teenager. It's different. You don't know to you, and hip hop is definitely a lot of I don't care. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: And what works for me, even as a forty year old man, a forty plus yr old man, you feel me is I don't have kids so I still don't fucking care.
Speaker 2: So it sounds.
Speaker 1: Extra crazy because it's like, oh, this grown ass nigga don't care, So I agree to some measure hip hop is. You know, when you at your youngest, you don't give a fuck. That's when you when you have your least amount of give a fuck. As you get older, you you have to give a fuck because now you got a daughter. I mean, now you got sons, now you got all this. It just changes. The world changes and people depend on you. Morally, you have to be in a droop. So I do think, you know, the youth has always brought the I don't give a fuck, you know what I mean when.
Speaker 2: You but when you grow up.
Speaker 1: But I still think the maturation of the mind behind the business of hip hop and the maturation behind the production of hip hop is what's wrong with hip hop today. You know, back when when you first came in the game, you know, when you first start fugging around, the producers was like battle Cap was thirty. You know what I'm saying, Like, you start talking like these dudes was grown. But that's why they could produce these young dudes.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: The problem is, you know, again, the record business is a bunch of knowledge of prior records. It's experience in playing music, it's a it's a knowledge of how to work equipment. You know who's been working this SB twelve hundred the longest. Don't get me wrong, there is a brilliance about when somebody makes a mistake or you know, a rookie mistake, and then they make some shit. But the problem is you can't duplicate it, and that's what we witness in hip hop today. You don't there's no real methology behind it. It's methodology. It's just like a bunch of niggas making mistakes. So you got an eighteen year old niggas producer, eighteen year old niggas, well, guess what, you probably ain't gonna get five records, not back to back, because there's no method That dude is a well.
Speaker 3: That's why a lot of these kids don't have the staining prowerb because they may do something that's on accident and next thing, you know, in fairness to them, you know, you in your bedroom on a little setup and you mess around and do something. The next thing you know, you look up. You got twenty million views on YouTube and people call and trying to get you money and this and that. You don't even remember how you did that shit the first time, so you like damn, whereas if you were the seasoned producer, he knows exactly what he was.
Speaker 2: I know what worked there.
Speaker 1: And somebody asked me that I hear that a lot, oh glasses, What do you think about somebody like I remember peoples asked me what I thought about Blue Face when he first came out.
Speaker 2: I'm like blue.
Speaker 1: Face, like Dan Lows's blue Face fifth song, Dotoriannis his seventh song.
Speaker 2: Imagine, yes, you know what.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. When I started thinking about it from that standpoint, I stopped being a lot less critical of these kids, right because that's his fifth song. You're thinking about the fourth fifth song. The shit is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, song on was a gold or a platinum or devil man.
Speaker 3: It's been hard probably for you to be good.
Speaker 1: So but imagine, like you take a guy, a freshman in high school. You know he has a four hundred yard Russian game, and they you know what, you fourteen fifteen, we're gonna take you out of high school. We're gonna put you in the pros. It may look different up here. You know, he not gonna have the kind of success. He's gonna have to develop into it his adult body. He's gonna have to learn so much and he's still new at it. And to me, that's what I think. That's why I'm a lot more gracious when it comes to today's hip hop. You know, modern today, the hip hop that's going, it's kids figuring it out. You know, they don't have a doctor Dre who you know, produced for Lonzo and the world class regging crew and was able to develop an understanding.
Speaker 2: They don't have the.
Speaker 1: Yellow or the or the the other guys that have the experience to help, you know, how to work this equipment. Like it's a little nigga with a laptop that somebody stole Becauz and he is just he just making some shit. So you have to be really patient with where hip hop is going because again, you know, it's a bunch of kids coaching kids.
Speaker 3: Together exactly, and that's what it is. I think the biggest part too, and then I'm gonna say this too, a lot of stuff that's going as the oje's fault because they don't really reach back to mess with kids. That's why we start, they just kind of step back and watch cats fall on the bike instead of just kind of, you know, picking the bike up and kind of got them a little bit. Man.
Speaker 1: You know, I always say this, bro, it's no way I have a million dollar budget and Warren g does not grab me.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Warren. That's my big brother. We talk all the time. I love Warren.
Speaker 1: There's no way Warren should have come grab me and say, hey, man, let me do your album. There's no way battle Cas should have got and say I'm finna do your album.
Speaker 3: Do it for free.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't they That's what they wouldn't have. It's a million dollars. They would not have do nothing for free.
Speaker 2: It's no way.
Speaker 1: I don't go talk to the people in charge, you know, especially as a as a maybe Drake, because Drake got a ton of stuff at the time, but Quick don't have a ton of stuff at the time. Warren don't have a ton of stuff at the time. Kat didn't have a ton of stuff at the time. How the fuck don't they snatch my young ass up by the column like, hey, you know, I'm finna do your album.
Speaker 2: Hey Mike, I'm doing bad Because.
Speaker 3: The thing is we fuck with Glad, We fucked with battle Care, fuck with.
Speaker 2: You, not like it's not like that, It's not it's not that time.
Speaker 1: No, I had a record with him before that. My brother bought for me, that be K bought for me. That was dope. But I'm saying it's another thing to come grabbing artists and be like, hey, I'm finna do your album. Nobody's gonna argue with that type of success. But I think at a certain place it's also a personality thing because like you know, I was a hustler.
Speaker 2: So like if I'm if I am.
Speaker 1: Battlecat of Warren g and I have that type of talented skills and history of success, man, I would have all these little dudes they couldn't even get away from me.
Speaker 2: They couldn't get away from me.
Speaker 3: Dog. Yeah, I think, uh, you know, it would have been crazy though, because I'm gonna tell you if then if we could have ran across a couple of them Bay Area cast, they for sure would have did.
Speaker 2: It because they hustlers.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying that Bank got a different hustle to.
Speaker 1: Him, the OG's here hustle, but they also been getting rewarded handsomely for hustling.
Speaker 2: I know that's quite hustling. You feel me if if if you do a song for mister Grimm and ended up being a million more time million dollars song. I'm sure Warren got some songs that didn't come out with a few guys, but that number. Mac mac ten always tells me that he's like, man, g is so hard. Man you usual to get so much money, you know.
Speaker 1: And I don't think when matc ten first started rapping he thought he could be a millionaire from rapping. I don't know if the business had changed in nineteen ninety two to where people thought they could be a millionaire from rapping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I think. I don't think nobody was everything about tickets back then. I think they was just looking at just a better way of life, yeah, and being dope and niggas thought it was millions of dollars necessarily in it. But I think people thought, you know what, I can do this and make me a good living.
Speaker 2: Here's a question.
Speaker 3: Remember people used to brag on songs about getting a thousand dollars a show.
Speaker 2: Here's here's here's a real question for you.
Speaker 1: Because you are you have been seasoned enough to see it, but you may not remember this. When do you remember thinking like, oh, rappers can make millions? You know what, Bro, Honestly your time, take your time about rappers, because I know that wasn't in the eighties.
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna tell you when I thought about it. G to be honest with you, when I started getting money with my not mind of music, but with alter ego W from London.
Speaker 1: No, No, when did you see it happen in hip hop? Were you like, wait a minute, nigga could be a millionaire?
Speaker 3: You know what, Bro? Really, when Easy start doing this thing later on, not not not beginning Easy, but like around when they start doing the niggas for Life and all that stuff, I started looking at it and start hearing about the numbers and that really that's really what got me really attracted more to the business of music and learning about distribution and really learning how to get to the money. Because it was a long time I didn't think you could get I didn't think you could make millions, just as being the artists. I always thought the artist was gonna was getting.
Speaker 2: The crumbs better.
Speaker 1: Question, crazier question, what was the first person you thought was a millionaire in hip hop. Well, you know what, DJA not from with movies rappers, not a rapper.
Speaker 2: He was like they motherfucker back got a million dollars.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 1: Probably L you thought, And when did you win? When would you have thought La had a million dollars?
Speaker 3: You know what? Man? When he was just doing I saw L in person before, and he just looked like he had a million.
Speaker 2: Dollars, bro, not somebody who did films.
Speaker 3: Not somebody who did films.
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure looking at ice T and LLLL had to look different because they was doing films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ice T and l L was different. That's probably not fair.
Speaker 1: Like who was a rapper you thought to yourself the first rapper? It couldn't have been in the eighties, because I doubt you thought.
Speaker 3: People. I'm gonna tell you something. I saw Cube in the nineties and he was driving a Suzuki, so.
Speaker 2: You had Yeah, I think he had dollars, And to fairness, he probably wasn't at that time.
Speaker 3: So who I can't thinking nobody from a from the rap side that I just thought had millions of dollars bro, outside of like them dudes that did movies and stuff. I just didn't see it.
Speaker 2: So it was about jay Z.
Speaker 3: Probably about the time say see and them start doing stuff. I think, yeah, they was getting paid. But then again they came in kind of like on some.
Speaker 2: Independent stuff or they had some dope money too.
Speaker 3: They had some dope money, like I thought P had money from dope from you know, slanging and uh like P and Hooves and all them them was the millionaires to me. And they was independent, and they was selling records independently, and I knew what the economics that looked like. Is. You gotta remember I had a record store and I started kind of putting two and two together, like, man, you got to move these people out in the middle. They've taken all the money.
Speaker 1: Here's a question for you. This is a hella interesting question. I'm glad we had this conversation. Who in gangst the Rap?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me get it right, let me get it.
Speaker 3: Right, Who in gainst the Rap made millians?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, because that's not a fair question, because it's a kind of the same question. I lost my train of thought, who in gangsed the Rap? I was thinking, who do you think had they first million dollars?
Speaker 2: That wasn't easy.
Speaker 3: Hmmm on the West coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if we had to be sure, couldn't have been dre.
Speaker 3: Well. I'm gonna tell you, like this, them a bud, them a budd. The log cats had bread, but it wasn't for the raps.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about rappers. Not nobody's screwing up, not nobody that's living our life. But I'm saying from the street, I'm saying rapping.
Speaker 1: He's a gangstrip You like that motherfuck got a million dollars, Bro.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with you, dog, that that didn't start like until I saw yeah, in the two thousands. Bro, probably you know what, probably snooping them because you know what, dog the thing is, you gotta think about it. When Snoop was on death row, he was getting one hundred thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he didn't have no million dollars. I'm talking about somebody that went to the bank. They took out twenty dollars. They at nine hundred.
Speaker 3: Oh you know who? I thought it was rich? You knew what I thought they had a million dollars? Too short? What year I thought too short had a million dollars? Like doing the getting it while of getting this good era because I heard about this deal he got with JIB and he was independent too. I always thought Short Dog was the I thought Short Dog was the richest rapper in the game.
Speaker 1: So so now that we're smart enough to know, and we had to do the math, who is that person now?
Speaker 2: And what year is it?
Speaker 3: Who is the person? It's a whole bunch of millionaires and hip hop? Right?
Speaker 1: No, no, not here, I'm saying, who was the first one in gainst the rap that you was like?
Speaker 3: Who was the first one against the kids? On who you considered against the rep? Would you considered hood against the rapper?
Speaker 1: No, obviously we're talking about West Coast hip hop, so let's not even got hip hop.
Speaker 3: Who was the first person in hip hop to probably cracking against the rep? Probably Doctor Drake?
Speaker 1: When would he had cracked a million when he went off and did after math?
Speaker 3: When he went off and did after math?
Speaker 1: Or is it with death Row because he was getting a quarter million dollars a month?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Drake got it when he was with death Row, for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think he had it. I don't think he hit a million dollars in one and one man.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you something. And this is what I heard about dre Right. I heard that Trey was always getting money, but Drey didn't never go get his money, like this stuff about him leaving checks and the mail and checks going bad and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you think about it, he was getting a quarter million dollars a month with death row somewhere to one hundred and fifty or quarter million dollars a month.
Speaker 2: So he where would he got a million dollars.
Speaker 3: When you figured? Shoot four months ago about here a millionaire?
Speaker 1: But nigga, you know you got some change. You know that shit don't stack up. I'm saying, who is a fun?
Speaker 3: I never got no quarter million dollars a month. My nigga all made some cheese, but I ain't never got two fifty a month. I wish I would.
Speaker 1: Get you this two fifty a month. You ain't gonna have four much of a man. You gonna fuck it off. Rig gon want all kinds of bags and cars and shit.
Speaker 2: You ain't been that. No, mean, they's gonna take you at least a long time. You gonna be finished.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be buying cars and you just ain't Probably different cribs and shit, Yo, Morriy's probably gonna be fifty thousand a month.
Speaker 2: So I was thinking about it, and I was just I'm thinking about it now.
Speaker 1: The first person who probably got a million dollars at once would probably have been Nice Cube probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I say that because Cube was you know what. I look at Cube and short Number as a different level kind of man, because Cube was into a lot of stuff. Cube was a young executive, you know what I mean, he started kind of getting his business right. Cube was really the first one outside of Easy in them to be like, you know what, I'm gonna go get my business right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it would have been from the movie Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if it came from music necessarily, not at first, but he did a lot of fly stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: CUBEQ would have got a million dollars from music, probably when they did West Side Connection or by the time they was doing uh, by the time they.
Speaker 2: Was doing Warren Peace, like a million at once.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe he got a publishing check for a million dollars eventually too, Maybe he could have got that.
Speaker 3: Well, for sure, Cube did a pup deal in I'm pretty sure Priorady gave Cube some money remember he had a label through there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I doubt I don't think No Advances was a million even what he was selling.
Speaker 2: I don't. I doubt they would have gave a million dollars up top for a record.
Speaker 3: What did you half a million getting back to two fifty A half a million?
Speaker 2: Probably half a million.
Speaker 1: Like you know, by the time he got to the predatory probably said go follow in a thousand.
Speaker 3: Too, so cue.
Speaker 1: So I think his check would have came his million dollar check would have came from Friday.
Speaker 2: When they sold it.
Speaker 3: So put him over a million? Is that when we was very successful?
Speaker 1: Though, I mean not even I think you really get the back end on that shit. Honestly, probably at that time. But what I am thinking is it would have had to been around Friday or like easy probably would be the first one because I know he got it. But if it's just a well, because then qb ain't just a rapper. N this is a tough thing. Like I'm looking at it, I'm like, shit.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm pretty sure them dudes made some cheese with nw jiggas. I'm gonna tell you this, not that being m c rihn's business. But I don't see rin doing no shows or do nothing. I know he ain't got no regularly job, so Rien gotta have some cheese.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he getting a great check, you know, every quarterly for publishing. I'm sure his rookie check is DC and the longest Tamika is doing the right things, and I'm sure he got opportunities. But again I'm saying I was thinking about winning the concept of niggas and hip hop, thinking or niggas in gangster rap, thinking to be a million dollars, like I could be a millionaire from this.
Speaker 3: I think Short, did we should hear Uncle? We should hit Short up and ass? I'm like, Short, when did you know when you had a million dollars from hip hop?
Speaker 1: I ain't for the ask, but I could ask him when did he think the first person he thought got a million dollars?
Speaker 3: Well? Hammer, Well he wasn't against the rapper though, I'm sure Hammer. Hammer was making a million dollars for show. Hammer was the first paid rapper I knew not I knew he was paid. He was doing commercials and everything else. Hammer had more season than everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he didn't have the money that they were saying dayline on this man.
Speaker 3: Not really though. You gotta remember he kind of overpaid people. Had a million people on state remember when short distance with a million backup dances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even then, as all of them numbers is inflated, you know what I mean, Hammer didn't go to those seventy.
Speaker 3: Had like a two million dollar deal with Capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a two million dollar deal don't mean they giving you two million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you both know that. But I think he did enough shows, and he was doing commercial stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how much was they paying for commercials in the fucking early nineties?
Speaker 3: Man Hammer had to make some bread, Dug.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying he didn't make. No, that's not what I'm saying. I think he made great.
Speaker 3: I think I think run DMC probably made when they had to deal with the datas and stuff.
Speaker 2: He'll know.
Speaker 3: They made some bread.
Speaker 2: Thirty forty thousand dollars max for that deal.
Speaker 3: Let me see, MANE Hammer probably had a Hammer probably had a million dollars before everybody, dug.
Speaker 1: Well, Hammer not a gagster rapper. He's more of a crossover as a hippo.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what he did. He brought twenty thousand dollars from from a couple of players from Oakland age to start, you know, this record company, and he had one hundred employees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hammer made some cheese man. Yeah, I know, that's for sure. I just don't think it's the money that we talking about. I think people thinking that Hammer.
Speaker 3: Contrack with Capitol Records with a one point seven million dollar advance. It did not take long for Capitol, so Capitol gave him one point seven as an advance.
Speaker 2: I believe that. But Hammer ain't against the rapper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, but he got a I knew Gamer had money. Even if Hammer didn't have money, he looked like he had the entourage with him. It's like everybody Hammer, It's like everywhere he went it was people dancing. It seemed like Ham just show up in a room and that these people in the background going and just people dancing and stuff.
Speaker 2: Hammer was a different type of hip hop. He was doctor rhymes.
Speaker 3: I don't care where you from, make most look silly and others look dumb. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: That though Hammer is a first generation rapper that didn't put out records in the first generation.
Speaker 3: Way.
Speaker 1: Melly Mill short uh dudes from Sugarhell early LLL. He rapped like early LL. So remember, Hammer is a little bit older than everybody. Ice team might be the oldest, might be the oldest rapper in hip hop, the oldest rapper in hip hop. I don't think nobody was born before fifty eight. That's a rapper.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what when Hammer came out, but you can't text this d dune. I'm done and I'm not gonna live. Bro. My wife loved him, Maria loved him.
Speaker 2: Didn't love Hammer.
Speaker 3: I thought Hammer was the corniest nigga alive.
Speaker 1: That's because you was fucking old and grown and you just didn't get the magic when y'all was young.
Speaker 3: I was a young cat when Hammer came out. I was I'm younger.
Speaker 2: Here's twenty.
Speaker 3: No, when Hammer came out, I was like eighteen in nineteen. Bro, that's twenty nigga, that's twenty twenty. Eighteen is eighteen.
Speaker 1: She's just speaking like a true old nigga with all that dumb shit. Listen to what I'm saying. When you rock Kim and Caine and Them and Roy Kim Kane and rappers, don't say real rappers.
Speaker 3: With the dirty said the Doctor sus Rhyme's cat in the hat.
Speaker 2: Bad like he wrapped like run.
Speaker 3: No run DMC rap better than him.
Speaker 2: No that you just heard them earlier.
Speaker 3: Let me pull up some hammer lyrics. Let me see lyrics by heart. I was a kid. Let me see you like him because she was a little kid. I said. He went everywhere, He had dances behind him everywhere. When he the girl watched.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never seen it, so how would I know? He was just entertaining and he made really great music.
Speaker 3: Let me see you can't touch this my mi mind. Music hits so hard makes me say, oh my lord, thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme.
Speaker 2: In too good.
Speaker 3: When you know you're down to a homeway from the old town and I'm known this and this is the beat. You can't touch.
Speaker 1: A't touch you don't got a rhythm, so it stopped doing. I told you, homeboy, you can't touch this fresh.
Speaker 3: New kicks and pants. You gotta know like that. Now you want to make me dance, So move like you see and get a fly girl and kickch this beat while it's rolling, Hold on a little bit and know what's.
Speaker 2: Going on like that like that. Let him know then he always sounded like he was yelling at somebody. That's first generation m cee rhyming skills. That's Melly Mel, that's Run, that's early LL. That's fucking uh. The dudes from sugar Hill Gain, that's first generation style. You gotta remember, Hammer is not like he's older than Rock Kim. Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's sixty something.
Speaker 2: Now Hammer was born with sixty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But you know what, though, I can't front on Hammer now Hammer, I think because of Hammer more money came into hip hop. People saw it was you know, he was a picture man, thrawing like a lion, no denying. I'm in effect, and you suckers are trying to get with me. You can't hang doing it like this. I'm with a bang going boom like a thunder, and you wonder high in the world can the hammock be underneath me? You're gonna beat me? Say yes to the master, and I would teach thee turn. I was a student, I'm the teacher. I was a member. Now I'm the preacher. I was a worker and you were the boss. Now I'm getting paid and you taking the loss. Why I said stop the other say his fleet, No, don't perpetrate. MC hammer is the feature step off you Punk no Fear. I'm MC hammer and I came here to turn this mother out.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you here you go, how do you think? How will you do you think? Run was born.
Speaker 3: Shoot Run, DMC run sixty seven, DJ Run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a rappers MC is run is M run? What is a DJ run? I'm funny, but okay, camera is older than run, ye d huh, Hammer is older than Run.
Speaker 3: Here all was even stopping the record thirty Yeah.
Speaker 2: Probably twenty six, twenty seven eight. Well he was born in sixty two.
Speaker 1: First record with eighty six eighty seven mm hmm, yeah, he probably had been trying.
Speaker 3: What the thing was. Red Round was born in sixty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hammer was born in sixty two.
Speaker 3: And they had more lyrics than Hammer. Did you know they didn't? Yes, they did.
Speaker 2: They was way more.
Speaker 3: You was a kid, you know what I'm not.
Speaker 1: Ironically you was almost my age when I was hearing Hammer, when you were listening to Run DMC.
Speaker 3: No, I was listening to Run DMC when I was sixteen.
Speaker 1: They had been out for a while. Then, run them is what an early eighties group right eighty three to the early eighties group. Yeah, I remember when I first saw them on MTV only one or seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I was over my pop's house I saw them. I'm going to seventy one seventy.
Speaker 2: So he was about twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved him, love, I love, I loved I loved run DMC when I first heard them and walked this way when I first heard that in the summer, I was walking around with a boom box when MTV first came out.
Speaker 1: So what I'm saying is the way you look at Hammer is a first generation MC. So he raps like first generation MCS. You just heard him when you was older, and then you know what I came And you know what's crazy is your ears adjusted to the style of second gen m CS. Like so the first gen m CS iced t too short right on the west, you got uh run l ll He's at the back end of it, Melly mail. You know the dudes from Sugarhill Gang, you know Mo D. They're all mo d n MC. Hammer rapped the same. No they don't, Okay, rap rap rap. No, he's not wrapped the ll cool J dish right now for mo D. Huh wrap the dish?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, the l ll kol j dish that d Did you remember the name of the song? Teddy Rodley produced.
Speaker 3: Well d n which his name is What's You don't know the song? I do know the song?
Speaker 2: What's never the song so death Blow?
Speaker 1: No, that's I'm telling you the song that Mod dissed ll couj with That was a smash hit record.
Speaker 3: How you like Me now?
Speaker 2: Exactly? So rap it?
Speaker 3: Let me see I'm find it right now, just.
Speaker 2: Like em raps, because that's that first movie.
Speaker 3: I throw my tapeone, then I watched it three sections later. I got you shaking your head, dancing instead sitting, and the rhymes kicked, the beats hitting you just like a home run, slamming like a slam dunk, riding away. James Brown gave funk happened to James like it happened to me? How you think it feel to see another MC get paid using my rap style and I'm playing the back round? Meanwhile, I ain't with that. You can forget that you took my style? Take it back coming back? Like return Pay said, I it's only rock rhymes and only rock crowds, but never rock records. How you like Me Now?
Speaker 2: That don't sound like mc hammer.
Speaker 3: He a little bit more of.
Speaker 2: Your lines, your line. You are lying, brothers arride me like a.
Speaker 3: Pony on no phony. I'm the only real Macarney playing a mic like it's supposed to be playing nuke jacks. You should all stay out of the business. What is this amateur night at the Apollo. Get off the stage. I'm in the rags, just like a line trapped in the cage. Yeah, this was garbage. That's not jungle.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, it's garbage. It's first generation. There's nothing to go off of. They created what we built like, they created what rock Kim went off of.
Speaker 1: They created what Kine went off of, they created what g Rap went off of. They like, you had that generation to build from. So so again, when you're hearing Hammer, you're hearing Hammer at the same time when you're starting to digest k R S one uh g rap your digesting rock lyrics. Listen to what I'm saying. Listen, listen to get more to put the phone down, cud.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to find rock Kim lyrics.
Speaker 2: They came up.
Speaker 1: The problem is rock Chim is young compared to Hammer. Rock Kim is young. Compared to hammer Dog. Rock Kim was born in sixty eight. He's six years younger than Hammer. You get Do you get what I'm saying is it makes sense Like when you hear listen to somebody who learned how to wrap first gin, They're not rock Kim.
Speaker 2: They didn't come in with their own developed staff.
Speaker 1: Hammer was already an adult when the message came out that just came out.
Speaker 2: He was an adult. He was twenty one.
Speaker 3: Let me see, because rock Kim is fifty six.
Speaker 2: Don't wrap no rock Yim stuff. He was born in sixty eight.
Speaker 3: The mid eighties. He came out the mid eighties.
Speaker 1: Came out in like eighty six eighty seven. First gen first first n is seventy nine to eighty four. Second Gen is eighty five to eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Think about paying in full lyrics versus that that stuff we des heard.
Speaker 2: But imagine this.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like, okay, imagine watching basketball, right, you're too young to notice, but like, go look at a game where Bob Coosey is dribbling the ball, right, somebody who came out in the fifties, and then look at the guys that came out in the seventies. How they dribbled the ball. It changed because they had the evolution of the first generation. So the thing with Hammer, you was digesting Hammer as a new artist at the same time you was digesting KRS one, at the same time you was digesting with Rock Kim. These are the guy that's closer to your age at the same time.
Speaker 3: Five, this ain't too first went, how you liking me? Now? Think enough for master plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't time to do that one.
Speaker 3: He's a second pump, dumb laying in the cage, trapped in the rage.
Speaker 1: But you only listen to that because you hear it in the same time you hear Rock Kim. You're not thinking he learned to rap first Gin he's the first from.
Speaker 3: That Stuffuse them dudes. That was trash. You run DMC rap better than than than Hammer did.
Speaker 2: Rap the same rapped exactly the same short raps like Hammer.
Speaker 3: No short got way more style.
Speaker 2: They got me mail raps like Hammer.
Speaker 3: I take my big, she don't complain about ship, she's my whole That short way harder.
Speaker 1: Exactly, it's the same thing because that's the original style.
Speaker 2: When they didn't have nothing to go off of, they was making what we call.
Speaker 3: Milly Mill had lyrics child is born with no state of mind. He was blind to the ways of men on you. But he's smiling too, because only guy knows.
Speaker 2: That you go.
Speaker 3: You're wrapping Hammer was talking about the line in the cage he and the rage she on stage make the front page.
Speaker 2: And I'm dancing is almost the same exact age.
Speaker 3: I'm dancing. Broke man's in the back, pun the thumb when the bomb dump thump, good, everybody dancing. Oh in the background, Oh oh, can you text? This? Hammer remind me of of a black Southern gospel pastor with them signy suits on, Jerry curl hairline back way to here and he up there dancing with them.
Speaker 2: Stupid class could have been part of his glasses, wasn't stupid.
Speaker 3: If people love that stuff because.
Speaker 2: We like because we got better taste than you. People to rock him and y'all was listening to karras One and y'all was listening to g rap We was listening to the Hammer, me and the rest of the world. So y'all wrong, cool?
Speaker 3: She rapping them came You know what, what year did the symphony? Because your symphony came out when I was sixteen, all them brothers on the spitting I.
Speaker 2: Think the symphony like eighty seven, ain't it?
Speaker 3: Let me see. I'm gonna tell you right now, but I know that was.
Speaker 2: Him about them all second gnmc's two.
Speaker 3: What year did that come out? Let me see him tell you right now, you Marty, give me your slice. I get nice and my voices twice as horrifying as Vincy Price, go deep to your fail to spell, to sleep. And while I'm counting the money, you count she when she wraps strikes to mic peop Believe.
Speaker 2: It was hard, yeah, but they also had the benefit of the second gin.
Speaker 3: And then Big Daddy Kane had the harder verse to put a quarter in your ass because you plagued yourself. Look I put Kane in. Then you got a category period in the story. I love the Juice crew did no free of rappers. You will evaporate to send the Great, the flate to your fate. The Great would dominate straight to the state or reign and game. And so put Kane in. Man them dudes was hard, and this was long.
Speaker 2: That's second.
Speaker 1: No, that's eighty that came out in eighty eight. First off, and that ship was rolling eighty seven it's second generation. Rap ice Cube was in that generation of rap. Tupacket's third generation.
Speaker 3: M saying, yeah, it came out of eighty eight. You know see something. It came up earlier than that.
Speaker 2: I know you just.
Speaker 3: You're nineteen eighty eight. Cold Chilling was recorded in eighty seven, No release in eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Second generation. The first generation is guys that was really rapping in seventy nine eighty four. I bet you money. Hammer was making records in eighty three, eighty four, maybe even eighty two.
Speaker 2: Hammer was born in cety two.
Speaker 1: He probably making records in eighty two eighty three, and it just worked for him in eighty six eighty seven.
Speaker 3: That was hard right there, all them dudes on their rear. Wasn't nobody whack on there either, Nobody the giant defiant start a riot. Everybody be quiet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's how, that's how run.
Speaker 3: You didn't even have to write no wraps down. If you was Hammer probably didn't have to write none of that stuff down. He just came on stage, you said, when the studio said whatever.
Speaker 2: Came in his mind, stop rocking, you shaking the mic, because it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't nothing about no rap when it was about the dancing and wearing them crazy ass looking clothes.
Speaker 2: It was about the rap because he made money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you gotta stop acting like Hammer wasn't rapping because when you started digested again. Because if you listen to it at the same time you heard run dmc or or Melly Mill, it's the.
Speaker 2: Same ship, just like Doctor Seuss. I mean, it's the first time it happened, and doctor SEUs is brilliant.
Speaker 3: The day is here at time next year, So don your head and pressure cat review your rhyme a parody time, grab a good book of kid to look and sit alone and none looking done, shanning and reading and loving feet, and your inner shall be unwild. Let's all let loose for doctor Seuss. That could have been a rap for him.
Speaker 2: You know, you know who I call doctor SEUs style Biggie.
Speaker 3: Biggie wasn't no doctor Seusan then you tripping down, ringing at the top with short like leper cons. That's our crush, so called willie thugs and rapper dons. Get in your wass put fast like rama don. It's the referend number. Non Don daughter fuck Vampa. You guys to call me Francis inmates right and take like to toe Iron, keep extra clips for extra shit.
Speaker 2: Who's next out.
Speaker 1: Rap lines is like Lamb on the room.
Speaker 3: Harry, He's the best lyrics as ever. That's the history of hip hop.
Speaker 2: That's very doctor Seuss.
Speaker 3: Biggie is the best rapper in the history of hip hop.
Speaker 2: That's very doctor Seuss.
Speaker 3: Biggie had the best lyrics out of everybody, bros.
Speaker 2: No, the most digestible lyrics on everybody.
Speaker 3: He was. Without him, it wouldn't be no.
Speaker 2: Jay Z nigga. He was rapping up ja Z was rapping before Big.
Speaker 3: Jay Z was going Biggy, bigger the nigga, the nigga that the bigger, the bigger, the bigger, Biggy Before that thing, Sean Sean dropped the bomb.
Speaker 1: The boond is uh, Biggie is what a fourth gen? M C maybe third or fourth? Maybe fourth? Pak is the third gen?
Speaker 3: Who the fuck is this? Pature media? Five forty six in the morning, crack of dawn and join it. Wipe the cold out my eye.
Speaker 2: You have enough, You have enough podcast This My nicker Pop.
Speaker 3: From the barber shop told me he was at the Gambler Spot and heard the niggas want to stick me like fly Pepper nighbors, Slow down love, Please remember them niggas from the hill. Look at brown steel that you throw dice with. Clinton got nice with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my nigga fame up a prospect. Yeah, but that's all really simple. No, I didn't say them exclude me.
Speaker 3: Just the niggas that you knew from back when when you was flocking minor figers. Now they hurt you, blowing up light Knight drove when they want to stick the knife through your wind clothes. Thing. Fancy warning me, because now warning you were got the mac nigga, Tell me what you want to do. Damn this storytelling. Dog was impeggable. His rhymes was in Peggaboa dogg Bro Biggie. He wouldn't have died, he'd have been the greatest rapper of all time. Possibly Biggie Biggie was ahead of his time. Thog. Biggie was hard thog like Doctor Seuss, Biggie was probably the greatest of all time. You know who was nice, though, I'm gonna tell you Tupac was hard. I don't know if Biggie. I don't know if Biggie was better than Tupac.
Speaker 2: They did something different Yeah, they did something different.
Speaker 3: I think Tupac definitely conveyed more emotion and this stuff. But Biggie Ryan for rhyme, couldn't nobody mess with him? And if he wouldn't passed away, then the Biggie jay Z wouldn't have got to the top.
Speaker 2: Thank y'all for listening.
Speaker 3: Everybody would agree with me. Watch sing.
Speaker 1: There looking out for tuning into the No Seller's podcast. Please do us a favorite subscribe rate Commonist Share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced bout the Black Effect Podcast Network and not hard Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.