Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 2: Erness What's Up?
Speaker 1: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting business is that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 2: What matters most ready.
Speaker 1: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the Drake and Kendrick battle. But I want to talk I want to talk about from a business few business lessons that I think can be learned from this marketing, marketing and business lessons. And I first thought off by saying who won. The biggest winner is Universal Records, the biggest loser facts, the biggest loser is j Cole. But in the semantic battle of who won, Kendrick Lamar won the battle or is winning the battle in my opinion. But what's what's interesting is that I think you can learn something from this, right, And one of the first thing is be extremely careful about accepting challenges when you have everything to lose and nothing to gain. I always say it's not it's not really advantageous to fight down. It is very advantageous to fight up, right, Yep. In this situation, I think Drake had nothing to really gain in this situation and everything to lose, and I felt that the public was going to pretty much say he lost. No matter what he did. He would have had to execute a flawless game plan of flawless delivery. Anything short of absolute perfection. The fight was kind of fixed. Not to say that Kendrick Kendrick did what he's supposed to do, but you know, Drake just had so much negativity that just the public animosity for him, it was, it was it was kind of a no win situation for him.
Speaker 4: Really, what cause of animosity do you think? Because I think that's a great lesson too, and what not to do any any type of success breaths envy man.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's certain. You know, there's a reason why jay Z is not on Instagram, why you don't see him, right, There's a reason why Eminem you never see him. There's a reason why doctor Dre you've never seen him, right, Like, very few people can maintain over a decade of dominance and be in the public eye for all the time and not garnish some level of resentment and hate as human nature. Right, So I think a lot of it just comes from people just don't like to see people winning for long periods of time, like Lebron.
Speaker 2: James, that's it perfect parents.
Speaker 3: Part of it is, I think it might be some level of his personality right where he's kind of a person that's easy to hate. Right, let's just be honest, Like, you know, he's you would traditionally say it like he's like a corny guy, right, Like traditionally like that would be somebody who got money and kind of so it's like that's always an easy target to kind of pick on somebody like that, right. His upbringing, He's Jewish, He's from Canada. He had the afro, he was on Nickelodeon, he was in the wheelchair and then he came and then he you know, the narratives, so that's he's easy narratives to kind of plates and put on him. Right, He's not from America's from Canada, it's a whole thing, and that's part of it, I think, you know, and then also I think you know he's done things to kind of troll other people in the past, and that he's kind of that's kind of been synonymous with his personality. Is kind of like, you know, a troll and somebody who's kind of arrogant, and you know, so those those type of people are always easy targets as well a variety of different factors that kind of make them an easy target. So just be mindful of that when you're building your personal persona, your business persona that you know you have to be whoever you feel comfortable being. But in that type of role, you're going to garnish more hate as opposed to somebody like Kendrick Lamar or j Cole, who I don't think anybody hates them, right. They might not like their music, but I never heard one person like, really vehemently like dislike them as a person, right Like they're not they're pretty. It's hard to dislike somebody like that. You don't even see them. They don't they're not flashy, They dress down every time you see them. They don't talk about taking people's girls. They don't show their their cars. They don't show that. How is they haven't flashed any money, they don't talk about money. It's they've kind of checked all the boxes that Drake doesn't. Drake checks every other box, like you know what I'm saying. So they're like really total opposites. Shaping narratives is extremely important in marketing, for yourself and for your opponent, right, because what I realized in marketing is that it's not necessarily was true is what people believe to be true. But you're right, I mean we see this all the time, right, Like you know, if you really look at the thing, it's probably a blackout topic. But it's been historically proven that Jesus Christ wasn't born in December, right if you look at the archives. But it was marketed. That's how it was marketed. And it's Christmas, so nobody really cares when his actual birthday is. It's not it's not of importance, right, What's more important is the celebration of Christmas. Right, So that's a marketing campaign which garnishes trillions of dollars in spending globally every single year, and it works, right, So the actual truth behind it is irrelevant at this point. Nobody cares. What is more important is what people believe. Right, And there's been some narratives that may not be true, but doesn't really necessarily matter, right, it would say people. The thing about saying something, too is that the crazy thing about saying something is that once you say something, somebody never forgets what you said. Somebody never forgets it. Right. So even if it gets debunked in and it said it's not true, it doesn't really matter because there's going to be some people that still believe it or still remember it. Right. So these narratives, whether it's self inflicted narratives about yourself, some people make up stories about themselves, right, and or it's you make up narratives about your opponent to try to disminish them. That's a that's a tactic that has been used in business for a long period of time. It's not it's not clean, right, but it's one Lauren and Tommy hill Figure back in the day, exactly Tommy hill Figure. They remember that they said that Tommy Hill Figure was a racist. They never really showed you him say this, but it was said enough that to this day people a lot of people still do business because they say they think it is racists. It's a perfect example. I think you have to be you have to take your time and be calculated and confident in your plan and move with speed. Success love speed. So I think that Kendrick Lamar, he took his time when everybody was counting him out, He took two weeks, but when he actually did attack, he had dropped three records in three days. So it's like, you know, he he waited strategically and he moved with extreme precision and the speed of light, right, like we've never seen anything like that and such rapid timeframe. It's always good to have other people champion you, right as opposed to you champion yourself. Another great thing that Kendrick Lamar has done where he's he had the public talking about him right where he didn't necessarily he's not on Instagram, he's not on Twitter. Right he has the public that's championing him, and he's become like a man of the people that's better than you, saying like I'm the best, I'm this, I'm that. Because if you keep, if you keep championing yourself, you're gonna garnish resentment as well, right, So I think he's done a great job in positioning from the aspect of he never talks, he doesn't do interviews, he's not on Instagram. Hardley got like two posts on Instagram. But he's done a good job of having the public and other people his peers champion him so that his name is always being spread without him actually having to spread it. Then, as far as trapping your opponents, I think that he definitely Lord Drake into a trap. Yeah, no, finally calling them out six sixteen, and he kind of used he used Drake's formula. Right, two back to back songs calling them out. Then Drake drops a visual for a record that's actually a really good record, six minutes, three different beat changes. He and then ten minutes later Kendrick Lamar drops and nobody cares about that record anymore. Right, It literally is like a it's like a solar eclipse. And then use other people's strengths. So it's like he used not only that, but he also used that Mustard song, the club song. Right, and now this is an anthem that's back to that's Drake's formula if you look it back to back, if you look at state scheming, when he dies, commented, Drake would make these He's like the first person to actually ever do that, right where he made a disc record into a number one song. Usually disc records are not played in clubs. Drake was playing, he would make a dis record that and he did it with push ups. But then Kendrick Lamar took that formula and did it with the not like us. And now that's because like a West Coast anthem that they that they just going crazy to right now.
Speaker 1: Right so historically, well we can yes history, I think I wouldn't give Drake the credit for doing that.
Speaker 3: Who's done that was the first. The rigid Over started with that. But that's not a that's not a club record.
Speaker 2: That's where it was, That's where it was, That's where it started.
Speaker 3: That's in the eighties.
Speaker 1: One something I'm saying, I'm not giving Drake all the credit for that modern hip hop modern when you look at Ether, it is not a club.
Speaker 3: That's not Takeover, it's not a club that's not Second Round Knockout is not a club record.
Speaker 2: I hear what you're saying. I'm saying I don't want to give Drake the credit for it.
Speaker 3: Or you have to give him credit for it for modern day, modern day, and he pioneered it, so you have to give him credit for it. But Kendrick, once again, he took his formula, he remixed it, and I think he executed his game plan flawlessly. And it's a case study. It's a case study on marketing, public perception, swinging, public perception, execut u shin variety of different things that I think that I just looked at it from an interesting like, Okay, this is something that is bigger than just rap music. These are actually valuable business lessons. And when you're in business is a game like it's a game of inches, and you got to you know, it's like playing football. So it's like when you're when you're dealing with your opponents, when you're dealing with your own product, when you're dealing with marketing, you have to be extremely thought out, extremely strategic. And for that reason, I think that Kendrick Lamar, I've never seen anybody execute at the highest level possible in this battle thing ever other than him. He's done it flawlessly.
Speaker 2: And he's done a great job.
Speaker 3: He's done it flawlessly.
Speaker 2: He's done a great job.
Speaker 1: What did he do that was not flawss Well, so I said, what always saying, does I get what you're saying?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, it doesn't matter what you're saying as long as people believe this though at something it doesn't matter, right if if if I can prove to you that I hear what you're saying, right, but at some point I can't say it's false if I've given you information and you use that information, the false information alleged like this is all alleged, right, and you use that and you made the whole song about that, that's not flause to me. Did he outclass him in this? Absolutely? The timestamp thing was brilliant. The dropping right after he was brilliant. What going directly Adam was brilliant. Creating an anthem not just for himself but before an entire coast, an entire anybody who feels like they have an opposition they not like us. Is now the record and it's back to back on steroids.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't if that comes out.
Speaker 1: I mean it is on streaming services that is going to be not made for something, it'll probably win something, it would. I mean it was a master class, not but a master class. It is in my opinion. I think it's the greatest moment that we've seen in hip hop maybe ever. Just like from the anticipation standpoint, what they are delivering, It's not like these guys are the like the elite of this generation. To be able to create songs and have them readily available and the timeframe that they're doing is no easy task.
Speaker 3: So I gotta give them.
Speaker 2: They both deserve a lot of credit for doing that.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing, the truth doesn't matter as long as the lie is more entertaining. Edward Burney is credited as being the godfather of public relations in the United States of You don't know who Eric Brene is. He is the nephew of Sigmund and Freud, and he ushered in the modern era of public relations. As we are so many campaigns that he ran. One of them that comes to mind. He started a campaign and the fifties forties, maybe even before that, the nicotine companies was having a hard time because women did not smoke cigarettes. And obviously fifty percent of the population is not smoking. When it's not using your product, then that's not optimal, right, So they had to come up with a campaign to actually get women to start smoking. So he developed a campaign of women liberation and saying that smoking is actually coororated to women's rights and women's liberation. As a result, millions of women started to smoke, and as a result, millions of women started to catch cancer and eventually died. Right, And then everything came out later on that you know, this is actually not It was never about women liberation. It was about getting women to smoke. My whole point in saying this is that it didn't matter. It was a campaign that was funded on lies and propaganda. That's what propaganda is, right, propaganda. It was lies and propaganda, and they got filthy rich off of that. So what I'm saying is this is still executed flawlessly. Even if it's a lie, It's still executed flawlessly because the public, the majority of the public, doesn't care. I'm just I'm just being objective. I care, Yeah, I care, But I'm just saying just looking, because I'm reading the comments. I'm looking that he's created narratives about Drake that's extremely dangerous. When you start talking about pedophilia, when you start out you have a child that's unidentified, these are these are things that you really can't come back from. Right, This is pretty It's not like a I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if you can't come back from I don't think. I don't think it damages his career.
Speaker 1: But what it is, it makes it tough to respond, which he did respond and deny it. But you're right, I think there was a concerted campaign, right, and it's there's a reason why he appears on Metros and futures we don't trust you, right, because one of the things, and one of the lessons I would add to it, is that you can't lose the trust of the public.
Speaker 2: And so once the campaign is that album is it's very strategic.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He could appeared on any album. He could have put that verse anywhere.
Speaker 1: It's on that album because the title is called we don't Trust You, and then they double down, still don't trust and we still don't trust you. So now now in the mind of the audience is like, you know what, we really never like this guy.
Speaker 2: Man, you know, we don't we don't even know why we.
Speaker 1: Don't trust him, but like he's taking dudes girls Like for us, we come up in a generation and it's like, yo, if your army is strong enough, that deserved to happen to you.
Speaker 2: But I understand this problem. I'm saying, we come up in that error like I took your girl, your.
Speaker 1: Arm strong enough about a blackouty you think your man?
Speaker 2: These ain't your man.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 3: They want.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is like you lost the trust of the people. Now let's double down it.
Speaker 1: Let's let's crack some more things that seem to show you like this is why we shouldn't trust you.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the reasons we don't trust you. And it doesn't matter what you say. For like even that like.
Speaker 1: Pedophil, that is a we're not putting that on anybody that's the victim of that. Our prayers go out to you. But on the same side, he's saying that you know your abuser, you abuse women, you actually abuse your No one even cares about that.
Speaker 2: Nobody cared, But that on somebody is heavy.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm like. All this is because people like fifty and they and they hate and they hate Diddy.
Speaker 4: How they do they like when they just give him now, they like fifty seven, They're like fifty.
Speaker 3: They like fifty. People like Kendrick Lamar and they don't like Drake and it's a it's an industry. It's an industry propaganda campaign to take the boy out, whether however you feel this is a this is.
Speaker 1: A this is an orchestrated playing that happens when he doesn't He doesn't go out, though, that shows you the strength of the of the person.
Speaker 2: The comport time.
Speaker 3: Being limits, that's another. That's another rule of that's my last thing I do that to you. Don't exceed the limits because what you can do is that when you back somebody in the corner, right, you can turn the public against you. Nobody likes a bully, so he has to be careful. The whole industry has to be careful of. Like now, if Drake is seen as somebody who the industry is trying to take out, right, and they're trying to bully him, and they're trying to place false narratives on his name now and all of these memes, then they joking on him can turn into support for him and then hate for the other people that's actually trying. So you got to be careful when you have victory, accept the victory and don't spike the football, like, don't go too far because this can turn it can turn the tides can turn on you. And if it turns on you, now now you're in what's.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to throw it to Enan because I want to leave because I saw you posted this, and I know that you are posted that. Don't see your limmas is one of your things. But in this and I know we talked about twenty v one, right, like that's the whole thing, But like you might think it's one guy, but you don't know who's backing that guy. You don't know the money that's behind that guy. You don't know who's and I think at least in kind of some of some of the things that you were posting this weekend.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna give the flow to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me start with some of the things he'd done did wrong. First thing, I thought, when like that state number one, that relationship solution isn't as tight as it used to be because if the powers that be are letting that record be number one. And then Kendrick dropped the this through in the scope, not pg lang, but through in the scope who is owned by Universal, It tells me there are some trouble somewhere fixt that number one. And I know some people, it's like, no, he just licensed it to him in the scope is profiting off of the disc so's universal. So they're the biggest breadwinners in this right. Number two, going back to the moral issue of you can't snake and try to take everyone's grow, like we can argue that's not as man.
Speaker 5: But it finally came out so we can talk about it. Him snake. And when Wyne was in jailous foul as fuck, he got some.
Speaker 2: But we can't blame Tammy.
Speaker 4: And then you know, right, so going back to having discipline and like not crossing my thing with all of my friends, like we never.
Speaker 5: Gonna fall out of a woman of money. We can't.
Speaker 4: We can't like stay in your own lane like you said, we shot on the seat the limits. And also too, if you know someone is really ready to go to war with you, you gotta have ten to fifteen replies back. That's why when I had an issue a couple of years ago, I come on, damn, hit that voice, No cool, not twenty more I could have played. Also for those of you who are looking to engage in beef, you don't have the pirus in your back pocket. And two teas like Kendrick does. I am begging y'all this summer. Don't go for kendricks food. Everybody into think. You know, he's just a nice guy that just wraps all. Go out that plan. Go out there fucking with that boy. You'll find out shout out to everybody in the West. He got the crips behind. I'm like, got a whole West coast. Don't don't think trick sweet bress up. Waston's cool, Like, let's cheap.
Speaker 3: It on wax.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's music, let's make it. Keep the music, just keep it on music. Not anymore music, No, not anymore. What I'm sing going to the big point of arrogance. Once you engage in war, you have to be sure not to upset the people at the top. Saying with Taylor Swift to end Kanye, Kanye tried to jump in a little beef and Future didn't even want no parts of it. I heard a little rumor Taylor part of the reason why he can't get a deal. It's interesting when you.
Speaker 4: Go to war with people like Troy Mascha, I can't come to your house and then have an issue with you two weeks later. Then you see me walking a good go get your pole and you're not gonna make fun of me.
Speaker 5: You gotta be careful who.
Speaker 3: You beef with.
Speaker 2: It depends on if you're wearing a book bad.
Speaker 5: Jan sport right, be careful.
Speaker 4: And this goes back to alliances, like he broke down the alliances too much, and now when people want a team upon.
Speaker 5: You, you don't have it.
Speaker 4: Like I haven't heard a little baby come out and drop nothing for him. J Cole went away after he got that call, like keep your alliances intact, keep your credibility intact, keeping Morris intact.
Speaker 5: But and everything would be good. But shots at the boy. You know, I'm rock.
Speaker 3: Like I said, the last thing I say about this is Drake. Yeah, no matter how you feel about him, I give him all the respect in the world because he ain't have to do this. Absolutely, he stood toe to toe and it was like a heavyweight fight, like like he he Everything that he put out was hot lyrically like he ain't put out nothing. Whack Yeah, and he gained. I always had respect for Drake, but I have tremendous respect for Drake. Kendrick Lamar hats Off performed flawlessly. I think that Kendrick lamar won. But I don't think Drake won. I think I don't think Drake lost. I think that Kendrick lamar Won. I think the only person that lost was Jay Cole. We'll talk about that on Blackout. But yeah, shout out the cold though, because that's my guy.
Speaker 2: I get a microphone this week. I'm like a microphone.
Speaker 3: I'm just being honest. Yes, please.
Speaker 4: And also Drake owning damn near everybody catalog too. And you know Joe alluded to with the Gamma situation.
Speaker 2: He kind of alluded to it too.
Speaker 1: He's like, that's why you know now they I understand there's a price to pay when you say my name. There's still some stuff to do uncover. Uh, it doesn't have to continue for me. I think I'm with you. I don't need it to continue.
Speaker 5: I doubt they'll st You gotta reply to every enemy.
Speaker 1: I doubt they'll stop. But it doesn't need to continue. I think he doesn't reply again.
Speaker 3: It's up the Kentry because Rag was the last one. That he might just do it again just because now you're looking crazy. Just let it go. Let it go.
Speaker 7: Bro an illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant crimin caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,