Speaker 1: We're back with another Sunday sampler. I said down with Cooper Allen got massive on TikTok. Really cool artist, not a kid, but like a young dude. We talked about his career. Pretty cool. Let's do this. So Morgan has a brand new podcast. We're going to start the sampler with her podcast. Here's a clip from the first episode of Take This Personally with Morgan Hilsman.
Speaker 2: I want to bring on Amanda White. She's a therapist and the founder of Therapy for Women. You know, she was super frustrated and the options out there for modern approaches to therapy, so she created Therapy for Women to help provide people with authentic and compassionate therapists who provide people with real life tools.
Speaker 1: Personal with the mogulsmen.
Speaker 2: I know, something that you're familiar with is addictive behaviors. How are we supposed to distinguish between the two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the best way to understand an addictive pattern is it does serve a purpose in our life. And addiction can get this bad reputation as something that's you know, immoral or something that someone is you know, doing to harm themselves or others. But it's important to remember that someone wouldn't have started doing it if it wasn't helping control pain in some way, if it wasn't giving them a sense of control over their emotions or their life, or giving them an escape. So it's a myth that there's an addictive personality.
Speaker 4: The truth is addiction is complicated.
Speaker 3: It is a variety of different factors, and some of us are more genetically disposed to it. And also if you've been through trauma, depending on how you're raised, if you grew up around you know, certain substances that can definitely make it more likely that you'll turn to that substance or develop an addictive behavior.
Speaker 4: But it's complicated, so it's hard to know.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a woman I've met in my life that doesn't deal with some kind of body image issues. Whatever that looks like, however that came to be, everybody deals with it in a different way. What are some steps that you suggest for any of us who feel that body image is a struggle to just kind of start to get out of that constant negativity space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I completely agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think it's something that women especially struggle with because we are objectified.
Speaker 4: Much more in the media.
Speaker 3: So what happens often is we start to objectify ourselves. So self objectification is when you kind of pick apart your body. You imagine like maybe you're getting dressed right, and you imagine what someone is thinking about how you look, or you know you're sumped over in a chair, and you like correct yourself because you don't want anyone to see a certain angle of you that is objectifying yourself. So one thing that we can do kind of to snap out of that is to stop looking at ourselves as just body parts and try to look at ourselves as a whole.
Speaker 4: Holistic being.
Speaker 3: And when you notice yourself, maybe like in the mirror, body checking or checking out different angles, trying to come back to wearing things that make you feel comfortable, wearing things that make you feel like you, that make you feel beautiful.
Speaker 4: I mean, a big thing I say.
Speaker 3: To people often is if you had the body you loved, if you were totally confident in how you felt, how would your life be different?
Speaker 4: What would you wear, what would you do, what would you say?
Speaker 3: And then try to practice that even if you're in a body that you don't feel that way, and yet.
Speaker 2: There's a connection as women too, that we've been taught not only have we been objectified so much, but also.
Speaker 4: We've been told not to love ourselves.
Speaker 2: We've been told, you know, if we take too many pictures of ourselves, or if we do things that make us feel good, we are narcissistic, or we are too much into ourselves. And I do feel like as we keep having these conversations and women keep talking about, oh, we're all feeling this way, there's this huge empowerment happening of like, no, we deserve to feel that way about ourselves.
Speaker 4: Are you seeing that kind of happen right now?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good change, and I think it's I'm excited to see more women kind of taking back the idea too, that like your hobbies matter, like what you like matters, even if other people think it's dumb or they're not interested in it.
Speaker 4: It's okay to like what you like.
Speaker 3: It's okay to be basic, it's okay to enjoy things that maybe other people don't. And it makes me so sad when and people are struggling with their mental health, people struggle to find things they care about these days, and love and what we don't need is a bunch of people telling women what is okay for them to care about or be interested in.
Speaker 2: Speaking of taking things less personally, I know you can touch on this a lot. I want to know the world of social media and just in person too. But how can we try to not take things so personally?
Speaker 3: I mean, I will say it's very difficult, and I don't think anyone can do it one hundred percent perfectly.
Speaker 4: My best tip for it.
Speaker 3: What I do and what I teach clients to do, is when someone gives you a piece of feedback or says something that's particularly difficult for you, I would write down on a piece of paper what the person said, and then on the other side of the piece of paper, write down what is your interpretation of what they said? Because words are painful, for sure, and a lot of times what keeps us up at I what really stings is the interpretation of what that means.
Speaker 4: That's such a good tip and really hard to do too.
Speaker 2: It's really hard to take it out of your head and your emotions and just leave it as what was said.
Speaker 1: When did you start to play music or when did you start caring about music other than just listening to it. Start playing guitar in sixth grade? Why did someone give you one? Or were you like I need one of those?
Speaker 5: I was playing the trumpet. That was like my first instrument because I was like heavy into disco. You know Casey in the Sunshine band Abbatius, I mean dead ass.
Speaker 1: Okay, who then was around you to expose you to that in sixth grade?
Speaker 5: So I think I saw Mama Mia when I was in like third grade.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's enough of a thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I got hooked on this, yeah yeah, and then got into more of the disco scene. Then my brothers were like, dude, you got you got to stop playing the trumpet. It's just there's nothing cool about it.
Speaker 1: Did you learn to read music to the point where it still as beneficial to you, not to where it's still beneficial. I could read a little bit, because you have to do I guess play the trumpet. But then when I started playing guitar, it was all I learned my ear, you know, from my teacher. He just wanted to said what songs do you want to play? And I gave him a list of whatever.
Speaker 5: He told those songs I'm a miya of course, have you heard AB's greatest hits.
Speaker 1: What did you want to play then when you picked up the guitar?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 1: Because you're moving? You were at trumpet because something inspired you. So what then was the new musical inspiration that made you pivot instruments?
Speaker 5: We got Guitar Hero on the PlayStation two, Guitar Hero too, and it was just like it opened me up to a whole world of like frickin rock music.
Speaker 1: Good for you for learning the guitar as you played Guitar Hero. I have so many friends that excelled at Guitar Hero, and if they would have just put half the time into learning the guitar that they learned playing the hardest level of Guitar Hero, they would be a freaking good guitar player. But instead they mastered a video game that now they don't even play anymore.
Speaker 5: Dude, I will I will take this to my grave. Playing through the fire and Flames on expert on Guitar Hero is harder than anything on the electric guitar you can play.
Speaker 1: My wife is younger than I am.
Speaker 5: How old are you twenty eight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife is thirty one, and so she will sing songs that are from like sixties and seventies classic rock that I knew because I listened to the oldies station growing up. Or she'll sing like some of the nineties alternative stuff and I'm like, you don't know this song and she's like no, no guitar hero yeah, or rock band. She would play guitar and sing and like her dad will play the drums. Like that was such an introduction of music. It's funny, that's what really got you into rock music. My favorite was a tambourine and rock band.
Speaker 5: If you were the singer, you also got to play the tambourine, and so you're just like wailing on this mic?
Speaker 1: Was it on those like on did you need to hit it with the same rip that was the tampa?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, And there were like different levels of tambourine expertise and like cow bells like Mississippi Queen also had the hit the mic it was. It's impressive stuff.
Speaker 1: When you go and say I want a guitar, Who'd you tell that to?
Speaker 5: My dad? And I was like sixth grade when I told him my first guitar I got for Christmas that year. It was the Les Paul Junior.
Speaker 1: You stop playing trumpet at that time? Did you just go one to the other.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, I think I did stop. I remember the day I quit band. I think it was in sixth grade. You know, big, big drama at the middle school. But it was time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard. I heard the stories when you quit band. I know they call it the day the music died in North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Absolutely green sleeves will never be the same.
Speaker 1: When do you realize that maybe you want to do music like as as, like bigger than just being a hobby.
Speaker 5: I mean, I started my band in eighth grade, and so we were called below the line.
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of cool for an eighth grade band, not to.
Speaker 5: Be confused with blowing the line. It was. There was a little bit of controversy there.
Speaker 1: I never heard of that band.
Speaker 5: Well, just I think the the coke.
Speaker 1: Reference, right, Yeah, I don't know coke references.
Speaker 5: So well neither do I just I thought i'd sound cool for a second.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I am not so. I don't know any thing about cocaine. However, I think that's a pretty cool name for a group of eighth graders. I know, usually it's like Willie's Gibblett and you're like, yeah, that name sucked. Yeah, that's a pretty good one.
Speaker 5: How bad? So it was below the Mason Dixon line because you know, we're kind of course and we played dude, you know, all all kinds of stuff. We played a little bit of country, but it was mostly like it was hooty. It was fire for fighting, you know, Tom Petty, Like we took a little while to get to the full country band.
Speaker 1: Were you the singer as well?
Speaker 5: I was singer and I played guitar until we hired another guitar player. I was lead guitar for way too long.
Speaker 1: When did you realize you could sing? And did you start singing before you actually could sing?
Speaker 5: I did, like choir and chorus and all that stuff. And I mean, you can look back at some eighth grade videos and it is it's terrible. But I could at least like hold some sort of tune. You could tell there was something there a little bit.
Speaker 1: Did you go through the whole voice puberty change?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Of course it was it obvious while it was happening, as you're if you're a singer, Yeah, was there a stage where you're like change?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was kind of eighth grade was prime, prime voice cracks, and then you go through the phase of like, I want to sound like hooting the blowfish, and so I'm not really going to enunciate the words, and it's really cool when he does it. It's not very cool when I do it. We went through a lot of phases.
Speaker 1: And how did you find three or four other guys in your town that wanted to play the other instruments?
Speaker 5: One guy played drums in the band like you know, marching band, not marching band, but school band. And the other played the bass and the keyboard, so he would switch off between bass and keys, and we just all went to the same school.
Speaker 1: Who was the leader of the band? It got the group together? Was it you?
Speaker 5: We practiced in my house?
Speaker 1: Were you the below the line leader? Like, Hey, what want to sort of band? Let's get together and do this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean sort of. It was all. Everybody was pretty stoked about it. But I mean somebody probably, I probably care.
Speaker 1: Somebody's got to string the band, somebody's got to have the idea of let's start a band.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I don't want to take too much credit, but yes, it was. Is there credit to take?
Speaker 1: I mean, blow the line not really a thing anymore, right, unless you guys get back together. I will go to that show reunion.
Speaker 5: We had some damn good years. Let me tell you for a moment, he didn't fight for fighting. We didn't even play that one. We played the riddle, which is a kind of a deep cut hit.
Speaker 1: You didn't do Superman. No whatever that song was.
Speaker 5: No, I can't. I couldn't sing that high. Then my falsetto was not developed.
Speaker 1: Little for you.
Speaker 8: Life.
Speaker 9: Oh it's pretty, but hey, it's pretty beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's a little more city you're kicking it with full with Amy Brown.
Speaker 7: Hey it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown.
Speaker 10: And here's what.
Speaker 7: We talked about this week on my podcast. We put up a question box last weekend and people sent in questions and I'm going to hand you the reins as part of your internship.
Speaker 11: Okay, Well, to start things off, I wanted to start with a list I came up with for those of you wondering what it would ever be like to live with Amy. Some things about Amy and living with her is that she only drinks water from a measuring cup. She uses the word bandwidth all the time. If she doesn't want to do something, it's because she didn't have the bandwidth for it. If she just want to cook. It's a bandwidth issue, not anything else. And the list goes on and on. None, I like to my band Yeah.
Speaker 12: And her bandwidth is not large.
Speaker 11: No, it is big because you do so many things. It's funny when it comes to the little things and it's like cooking or so many little things, and it's the word bandwidth just comes out of her mouth every time she slaps her face before bed every single night when she's doing her skincare routine, like slaps her face.
Speaker 10: Make sure it's all on there.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but you can just rub it in.
Speaker 10: I rub it then slap.
Speaker 11: She puts Greek yogurt on everything leftover spaghetti, Greek yogurt, toast with jelly, We're adding Greek yogurt. Eg salad, We're gonna add grek yogurt. She likes to do her brain exercises in the kitchen with little three pound pink dumbbells alongside her Tracy Anderson armworkouts on YouTube that are like twenty years old.
Speaker 7: It's one video she made it for Gwyneth Paltrow when Gwyneth was training to be on Iron Man.
Speaker 12: No and your arms are toned.
Speaker 11: She does meditations on YouTube and plays books while she's sleeping to absorb the information subconsciously, is how she describes it.
Speaker 12: Are you sharing you about the move?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we can.
Speaker 11: It was when mom was here, when Christy was here, and we walked in from the Zach Brian concert and you were sleeping in the kitchen and you had a book or something playing. It was like two in the morning, and you said you were absorbing the information subconsciously.
Speaker 12: So that was funny.
Speaker 11: You toss the what does this make possible? Phrase around all over the house. If anything goes wrong, she just says, what does this make possible?
Speaker 12: While I said that that's how I survive. Yeah.
Speaker 11: While I said that in a way that sounded like it was annoying, it actually has helped me a lot change my mindset about certain things because there's a lot of truth to that phrase.
Speaker 10: And I did learn from you though and Stashira.
Speaker 7: With certain things, I don't need to say it off the bat, Like if it's with me and my own stuff that I'm going on, I can say it to myself right off the bat, but it's not helpful for other people to hear that right away.
Speaker 10: I need to sit with them.
Speaker 7: In it and then later, what is this made possible?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Oh, enters a room in the house, and usually the first thing that comes out of her mouth is do you smell that?
Speaker 12: Then usually it's cat peet.
Speaker 11: Then the whole day is derailed cleaning the rug where the cat pee potentially was that.
Speaker 12: I can't even.
Speaker 10: Smell, you know, I always find it.
Speaker 11: She always finds it the entire day, some hours out of time, and I might have a domino effect that impacts the day a little. I have three more should I make dinner? I'll say that sometimes, like, oh, we should make dinner, and she's like, oh, I was just thinking we could order food tonight, And usually it ends up being a Caesar salad.
Speaker 12: Well, we went through a phase.
Speaker 11: We got that caesar salad from Urban Market and the Burgers salmon Burger.
Speaker 12: It's so the smash Burger beef.
Speaker 13: Yes, Slash Burger's really good.
Speaker 7: And I love Chipotle takeout, Yes, or Chewi's.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we're getting Mexican tonight.
Speaker 7: Zeks that rice and salmon and oh yeah that was really good.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 10: No, I mean it's a bandwidth thing.
Speaker 12: Bandwidth.
Speaker 11: Yeah, almond milk and cold brew must be in the fridge at all times, and if there's not ice for the almond milk and cold brew, then that's an issue. But that's always the ice an ice maker. So we've been having a hard time with ice.
Speaker 7: We've been buying ice and then putting it in the freezer and it's fine.
Speaker 12: No, I just yeah, it's not an issue.
Speaker 11: I'm just saying that's something I noticed about you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like an allman.
Speaker 12: Yeah, which ice is really important to me too.
Speaker 11: And the last one is wearing the same outfit for a month or two months at a time, which I believe just takes a decision off your plate and that's why you do it. But you've been wearing the same blue workout set for two months now.
Speaker 12: And I'm leaving tomorrow, but I'll probably see you in it bear the fall. So but it's it's one of your colors right on your color pellet, the blue.
Speaker 10: It's Yeah.
Speaker 7: From my it looks really really good when I had.
Speaker 10: My colors done.
Speaker 7: I'm a cool summer and yeah, this part of my cool summer palette.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that is the sum of my list. If you're ever wondering what it would be like to live with Amy.
Speaker 13: Wow, I feel like I'd be really fun to live with. That girl sounds fun and funny and put together and inspiring, sounds like she has a good time.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it's a good tash, just like some clean catfee and vacuum and mop and I'm specially didn't say anything about cleaning counters.
Speaker 12: Oh well, I did put in here. I didn't even say it. It was right now.
Speaker 11: You're kind of obsessed with your vacuum, like you clean in your stressed and clean encounters. Yeah, but you recently been vacuuming a lot. I don't even know if you know that you're doing.
Speaker 10: That, but I know if I'm vacuuming.
Speaker 11: You walk in and you pick up the vacuum and you start like vacuuming the kitchen rug and you're like, everyone move.
Speaker 12: And I've just noticed it.
Speaker 11: And yes, you do it with the counters too, but lately it's been your vacuum.
Speaker 12: And oh gets the house all loud and then you're like, okay, I have to go, what do we need to do next?
Speaker 7: I can work, sometimes I can't. You guys got laundry finish? I love laundry. I love laundry, but I sometimes I can't finish my work like my computer work.
Speaker 12: Or relaxed while the house is clean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, y'all, Like if we want to just chill out and relax and watch something, I understand I want everything to feel clean, and maybe I need to chill out on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're listening to in the Ve's Office with doctor Josie Horshak.
Speaker 10: Shannon, you want to lead us into our nextpert.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So this one we're going to do a little differently this week because there's the three of us here, So normally this is the point in the show where we get some questions from some of our listeners and we're gonna actually hand the controls over to you, Bobby, and see if you have any questions.
Speaker 1: I have a couple because out of Boston Terrier when I was a kid and as my first dog that was mine like that I loved and it slept on my chest every night.
Speaker 15: And.
Speaker 1: I remember it wasn't aggressive generally, but it was the bossy was so a rat. It was just everywhere all the time that every once in a while it would bite something, and every great once in a while on that side of every once in a while it was a human. Wasn't trying to buy a human which just bite random things, and sometimes it'd be a human. And so what it happened was and like bit the mailman or something like ninth bite of the day was a human the mailman. So I love the dog and I had bites on my chest because the dog would sleep on my chest and it would have nightmares and wake up and go bite me.
Speaker 6: What was his name, Bradley, Bradley, Bradley the Boston.
Speaker 1: Loved again, loved him. Just had a whole therapy session about why I love dogs so much. It's because I couldn't connect with humans, so I found a safety in dogs. And Bradley would bite me. I have stop scars. But he bit the mailman and the Mailmai. I was gonna pres charges. Now my stepdad had to we don't want to get sued. But he had a friend that he worked with that had a bunch of dogs on his property, big farm, so he took an in let Bradley live over there. And now I wasn't I just didn't want to see Bradley. Wouldn't let me go see Bradley because ikn'd be sad. I told my wife the story, say bid the ball wasn't terrier. I loved him so much. My stepdad put him out and he went to a farm with the guy that where She was like, you never saw him. You never went to the farm and saw him. No, no, this is too sad for me. She goes, I don't think that the farm was real. And I said, what this is like a year ago? No, I said, what do you mean the farm's not real? I started to get mad at her. She goes, she, I think because it bit somebody. Bradley's now was not alive. After that, my mind's blown. I'm like, there's no way. So I called Arkansas Keith, my step former stepdad. Oh no, I get him on the phone through the speaker and I go, hey, man, Bradley, I didn't lead him to it. So what happened. He goes, Oh, it bit the melman. I shot him.
Speaker 12: Ah, Bradley, Oh no, oh it.
Speaker 1: Now, and this is why you're in therapy in Arkansas. Oh, he didn't pay money for a vet if an animal. Yeah, it sucked. That sucks to have it happen, but that's what you do in the country.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was like, well, he didn't go to some guy's farm. He goes, you believed that, And my wife is trying so hard not to laugh hysterically because she knows I'm dealing with trauma of my dog just now being told at forty my dog's dead from twenty five years ago. And also how stupid I wasn't there really was a farmer although animals went to.
Speaker 10: Play, right, we all believe that at some point, not at some point.
Speaker 1: I don't two years ago. Yeah, yeah, and so I was like what, but I remember he would just bite. So my question after telling that story, because it made me think about the biting part. Do you get bit randomly? And what's the kind of dog that you know it doesn't have to be an aggressive dog. Is there a type of dog that kind of bites the most? Because they're just nuts?
Speaker 6: I don't want to stereotype dogs, but there are some When we see the breed coming in, we're like, oh, we should be extra careful. I have a German Shepherd, but German shepherd's up there, Rottwilers are up there.
Speaker 1: Is that because they're bigger so they're buying This is always in my theory about big dogs. Yeah, we think they buy it more because but when they do bite, it lasts longer and it's more hard. Exactly.
Speaker 10: It's not that they bite more until comes in. I'm like, you're a mosquito.
Speaker 1: That the ain't making the news if it bites somebody.
Speaker 6: Exactly, German shepherd is going to rip your face off. So it's a little bit different.
Speaker 1: You think it's they don't buit it more, but when they do bite, it's more of a situation because of how severe it could be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd say that's probably right for sure. And I mean also they're bread to protect, so they kind of have that like stereotype of being a little bit more aggressive, which may or may not be true. So yeah, I think they've just gotten labeled that.
Speaker 1: Way out of pit bulls. A great dog ever had only if you listen to this, but you just have too many surgeries. We're still getting there. But I had him for thirteen years.
Speaker 10: We're gonna jump into him.
Speaker 1: He was Yeah, he was the best dog ever. And people would like be scared for a second, Yeah, oh you got a pit bull? Yeah, and then you're just then it was over the biggest baby.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So do you get and what's the worst you've been bitten?
Speaker 6: I've only ever been bit on the job twice. The first time was by a camel in bet school.
Speaker 1: A camel, like an actual camel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were taking care of it and it reached around and it bit my shoulder. And every bite I've ever seen in my entire life, you guys, does not compare to this camel bite.
Speaker 10: Do you have scars? It took a big old chunk of skin out and it hurts.
Speaker 1: Funny, so bad.
Speaker 10: Is that normal for in vet school, that you're dealing with camel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have camel.
Speaker 10: You you kind of deal with anything that comes along. And this is the University of Cairo.
Speaker 6: No, this is at a highest state university, and they have had a camel. Yeah, like farmers would have a random camel, or like we took care of a lot of deer like random things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you worry about with deer? Did you worry about like lime disease? Because since you were around really absolutely that would be scared because just living in the country or now just being in the wood, you worry about it, just as existing with a tick. But if you're with deer, yeah, they are the host.
Speaker 6: They carry those ticks around and those are the ticks that spread lime disease.
Speaker 1: So definitely top three. Bites number one a camel, Number one.
Speaker 12: A camel expecting that.
Speaker 6: I've only ever been bit one other time, and it was a dog waking up from anesthesia. I'm in that school again, so still a rookie. This dog's waking up. He's got his breathing tube in and he looks at me, like wakes up out of nowhere. I look at him, and he goes and bites down on his tube.
Speaker 1: I did that, m colas, the same thing except tub.
Speaker 10: Oh man, this is why I love you.
Speaker 6: And so he spits out the one half and heals the other, the other piece of tubes going down into his strachia, and so I being.
Speaker 10: The dummy, I'm like, I'm gonna save his life, and I.
Speaker 6: Stick my whole hand in his mouth to grab the tube, and he just goes and bit down on my entire.
Speaker 1: Hand because he was probably scared.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so afraid, like waking up from anthesia, and it's just their natural reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna do it live.
Speaker 17: We are the one two three sore losers.
Speaker 8: What up ever? Everyudy, I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports, so I'll gave you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 17: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the North side of Nashville with Bayser, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined.
Speaker 14: Over to you, coach.
Speaker 8: And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. Wednesday night, We're going Nashville, sc right with his buddy, his best friend. We're meeting him at the game, Gonna have a bro time and we park our car, who pay twenty dollars to part or walking in the stadium, he's holding my left hand with his right hand.
Speaker 14: Wait, it's just you and the kid? What did you do with the other two?
Speaker 8: They stayed home?
Speaker 14: So it really was just baby box kid day week.
Speaker 8: Well, it was his buddy's birthday's present. His dad bought him tickets and he got to invite one friend.
Speaker 17: Okay, because I just never think I got one on one time with Pops. It was always me and the bro and the cis Yeah, and.
Speaker 8: The other two were very sad when we were leaving without them, like that's not fair.
Speaker 14: This is huge.
Speaker 17: Just remembered it Colorado Rocky's game. My dad took me and left my brother and sister at home. I was a kid that got picked. Wow, that's I just had that feeling. That's how your kid felt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And we had to sit down the four year old and be like, well, look, Bud, you know baby Box's friend. He got tickets for his birthday and they invited baby Box.
Speaker 17: They the kids understanding this explanation, and we're like, doesn't even.
Speaker 14: Know what apple juice is.
Speaker 8: Now cut my banana, and my wife said, don't worry, you're gonna get Hey, don't tell, don't tell your brother, But you guys are gonna get a special treat.
Speaker 14: You guys are making back in deals alliances.
Speaker 8: You're gonna get a special treat.
Speaker 17: They're already learning about secrets now and keeping secrets unbelievable.
Speaker 8: When we leave, when they leave, you're gonna get a special treaty. So we're walking to the game and I'm gonna tell you what happened right after this.
Speaker 17: I mean, hell of a cheez, I hope. A homeless guy came up and threw a shoe in the air.
Speaker 8: Like I said, he's holding my left hand with his right hand and we're walking. I said, Bud inside joke. Are you at all excited about kindergarten or what are you feeling? He said, Dad, I'm a little bit excited. I said, oh that's good. Well what other so are you feeling? He goes, He goes, I'm a little nervous. I said, why, Bud, what's going on? He said, Dad, I'm kind of shy. So I'm a little nervous about all my friends meeting friends. And he goes, but it's okay because I have the you know, and he starts naming the kids, ABC, D and E. He's like, they'll be in my class. Yeah, son, I'm like, how do I break this to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they might be in your class. But they might be in your class. And I said, but then you got to think of it. Every kid that's going to be in your class, this is your time to shine, I said, every single one of them. It's going to be their first time at that school. Hell of a speech, I said, Nobody.
Speaker 14: Tell them about Garrett tell them about Forest.
Speaker 8: Have never been has been to that school. I said, just imagine when I walked into kindergarten, I didn't know anybody, and I made all sorts of friends. And then my mom and dad decided to move. At the end of kindergarten.
Speaker 14: Me and your mom walked into a bar together, never knew each other. Look at us now, so.
Speaker 8: And so Granny and Grandpa decided we were going to move at the end of kindergarten. And so going to first grade, I had to start a whole new school again. Granny and I went out first grade. I walked into Summon Elementary and I walked into Miss Anderson's class. I didn't know a soul, didn't know anybody.
Speaker 14: It was Miss Curry.
Speaker 8: That was kindergarten.
Speaker 14: Legs noted in first.
Speaker 8: Grade, I'm just there the two hotties in my class, Amy and Candy. That's where I met aj. I mean, it happens, man. I said, you're gonna be okay, and it's okay that you're a little bit of shy. You'll meet some kids. He goes, okay, But I'm just really sad right now because my brothers couldn't come to the soccer game.
Speaker 5: Okay, like.
Speaker 8: This supposed to be a good, happy moment. So we meet up with his buddy. We go in the stadium and we're all exciting. Let me tell you there are plenty of good seats still available for that game.
Speaker 14: As Dad placed his bets.
Speaker 8: No, there's no bets because they are so bad.
Speaker 14: I thought, you bet like sometimes over one.
Speaker 8: Oh, sometimes I'm like all over three goals. But they've been so bad you can't even you can't do that.
Speaker 14: What about muck Tar?
Speaker 8: Mooktar's there? We get our new coach. Let me tell you it was his first game on the job. And I did get an email from him before the game and it's said here goes said, Hey man, sorry I missed you last Friday at the welcome event at Gyodas Park. It was great to meet you and some of your Oh no, it was great to meet so many of your fellow nashvillec fans and I felt nothing but welcome since arriving in Nashville last week. As I mentioned to the fans and attendance on Friday, our team will reflect Nashville and you each night. You can expect a team that is hard working and playing with relentless mentality for ninety plus minutes.
Speaker 5: Guys cover.
Speaker 8: We are going to give you every ounce of effort to represent our city, and we expect you to hold us to that standard every match day. The future is bright and we're ready to get started. I hope to see you at our first match in the League's Cup tournament on Wednesday, July thirty first at Giodas Park. Thanks and see you soon. BJ Callahan, Nashville sc head coach, look forward to taking into the coach individually emailed me. Sounds like a cookie cutter, Y know.
Speaker 17: Also, I have an email I got from a Nashville professional sports team. Can we foreshadow that and do it a second?
Speaker 8: Yes, we can't. So we go to the game. I'm like, hey, coach wants.
Speaker 5: To meet me.
Speaker 14: Does this story improve?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 14: We go to the Gainst borderline.
Speaker 8: But no, we go to the game and national just gets her.
Speaker 17: Ask boy, they they got even. I didn't mean to say gay. The day got even worse for the kid.
Speaker 8: They lost two to nothing, They.
Speaker 14: Got shut out.
Speaker 1: Come on, dimner man.
Speaker 8: They are just so bad. I don't know how they are so bad.
Speaker 14: So tell me this. Do they make the playoffs this year?
Speaker 8: Probably not. Wow, but this is a Leagu's Cup. It doesn't even count the the regular season standings. But we're playing. We were playing a team from Mexico that last year we beat them like five to nothing, and this year they wiped the floor with us. We didn't even we barely had any shots on goal.
Speaker 14: So I take it we didn't win the cup.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know. This is the last year when we played Messi for the Cup championship, and since then we have gone straight off a cliff, like we were in the League's Cup championship in a shootout against Lionel Messi and this year we can't even freaking sniff aa. It is so bad to watch. The kids are depressed, The kids are sad. I had to pump their spirits up at halftime. We had to get Dippin' dots and that brought the energy back to the kids.
Speaker 14: The future.
Speaker 8: Yes, because they were ready to give up. They were ready to give in, and we didn't tell the other boys we got ice cream because that was their special treat at home, and so they weren't thinking baby Box is getting ice cream at the game. We got smoked. It was terrible. BJ Callahan you lied to me and said you're gonna reflect me. No, I score goals, I don't lose two nothing.
Speaker 14: Wait, what did you tell your kid though about the coach emailing you?
Speaker 8: I told him, Hey, he wants to meet us. Should we go down there?
Speaker 14: Get with your kids?
Speaker 8: And he goes, really data, right, Yeah, So we went down there and he goes, Dada, which one's the coach. He's on the other side, and goes, well, shouldn't we go over there since he wanted to meet you. I'm like, Bud, I don't know if he you know, I should go meet him like during the game. Ah, And he goes, but Dad, he said, you said he emailed you and said he wanted to meet you at the game.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 17: You gotta stop doing that crap because eventually he's gonna.
Speaker 8: Know, Well, he's only six, so it's pretty cool for him to think the coach wanted to meet me.
Speaker 17: That's cool at that age, but seven to eight then he's gonna say, yeah, Dad, prove it.
Speaker 14: Prove it, Dad, go over and talk to him.
Speaker 8: So it was a long night. The game didn't start till eight. We left there at nine forty five. We left with like ten minutes left in the game down to nothing.
Speaker 14: Oh, always leave early theory.
Speaker 8: No, it wasn't no, there was no traffic. It wouldn't matter.
Speaker 14: It sounds like you no traffic.
Speaker 8: His buddy was ready to go and they were tired, so I was like, oh, we might as well walk with them. We took two separate cars, but it was two nothing. We had no hope. And my kid's like, no, d have we got to stay to the end of the game so you can talk to the coach And I'm like, no, Bud, I gotta work.
Speaker 5: In the morning.
Speaker 8: We gotta get going. We gotta get going.
Speaker 14: Why did I tell that lie?
Speaker 8: And so we get to the car and I'm like, but are you tired it all? He goes, no, Dad, I wanted to stay for the whole game. He fell asleep in the car. In the eight minute drive home. He was already asleep in the car. And he went home told mom bad news, bad news. She's like what and he goes, we lost to nothing? And Dad, I didn't even go talk to the coach.
Speaker 18: Hey, it's Mike d And this week I'll movie Mike's movie podcast. I did a big Marvel episode. Not only did I give my spoiler free review of Deadpool in Wolverine. But I also did a lot of Marvel Mount Rushmore's what I'll Play for you. Here is my Mount Rushmore of the best and the worst movies in the MCU. Check out the full episode to hear what made my Superhero and Villain's list. But right now, here's just a little bit of movie Mike's movie podcast. In that first slot, I would put Infinity War. It is the best in theater experience that I've had from any of the Avengers movies, even more so than Endgame, because Endgame really only has that one big moment that we all know at this point that every theater in America is freaking out.
Speaker 1: That is a core moment.
Speaker 18: But I still think overall, the first time I experienced Infinity War left me feeling way different, and it was also more expected. I kind of knew what was gonna happen in Endgame, which was the end result of every Marvel movie that came before it. We all knew what was gonna happen, we all knew what it was building towards. There was nothing I got in Endgame that came out of left field. Really great moments, a fantastic movie. But when I sit down to watch an Avengers movie, I'm gonna watch Infinity War. I still think it is the best one. So in that number one slot, I'm going with Infinity War. At number two, it goes to Iron Man being the first MCU movie back in two thousand and eighty and one that still holds up. There are not that many movies from Phase one that you can go back and just think that, oh, nothing here has changed the whole lot. Everything still works out. Iron Man is that movie. I would argue some of the visual effects in the first Iron Man look better than some of the MCU movies that have come out in the last five years. This was back when all the VFX artists weren't being worked to the bone and the technology was new at the time, with Transformers being one of the first movies to really use like that photo realism making things actually look like the surfaces that they are. That was a big deal back in the day. So Transformers was very influential on Iron Man. It got it perfect, it got the suit down so well. Everybody benefited from it. At number two, I have Iron Man. At number three, I have Black Panther. Not only because it's such a great movie. Has the fantastic villain, has the fantastic hero.
Speaker 4: But I would say because.
Speaker 18: This movie looks unlike any of the other MCU movies for a couple of reasons, for the cast, the representation. It just looks different the people who are represented in this movie, which was huge.
Speaker 4: We didn't have that.
Speaker 18: Me as a Mexican American, I didn't get that until well on the DC side, Blue Beetle, but even in Wakanda Forever with our first Mexican villain. But that was important for kids who didn't have a hero that looked like them. And now you have this awesome black superhero who was also noble and smart and quite possibly stronger and more fierce. I mean that has to do a lot with the technology they had, which is so advanced and everybody wants, but it looked different because of the cast and the representation. And number three in that slot, I have Black Panther at number four because this movie changed my life because it felt like my inner kid just having complete joy in the year of twenty twenty one, which this movie single handily probably saved the movie theaters that year, bouncing back from twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: It is No Way Home.
Speaker 18: Aside from what I was mentioning earlier of Infinity War being my overall favorite theater experience for a Marvel movie, this one has my favorite moment, Yes even more so than Endgame, my favorite cheer moment, which any good MCU movie has at that moment that we all want to get out of our seats and yell and clap and applaud. This movie did it the best. I will never forget that. So those are my mount Rushmore of the best MCU movies, Infinity War, Iron Man, Black Panther, and No Way Home.
Speaker 1: Chase a Little Man, Boys, Here we go.
Speaker 18: All right to close us out, my mount Rushmore, Oh, the worst MCU movies at number one, And I would say for all of these movies, I've only seen them once, and not only that, I never want to watch them again. And out of all of the thirty three MCU movies, these are the only ones that I would consider bad. There only happens to be four of them, which is pretty good. But in that number one slot it goes to the the eternals, hands down the worst MCU movie of all time. It tried to do too much, tried to create such a big world, introduced too many characters, tried to be like a more intellectual Avengers. Every element of this movie fell flat, and it wasn't until the Captain America Brave New World trailer that came out that it finally addressed one of the biggest cliffhangers and all of the mco this big floating rock. Hey, we forgot about that. Let's go back to that. Number one goes to the Eternals at number two. I guess putting a the is a bad sign for MCU movies because at number two of the Marvels, and I think it was probably due to tone. It also felt like they didn't have enough story to make a movie. This probably should have been a Disney Plus series. And bre Larson. I love her as an actor and I think the character is great, but I really feel like she phoned in this performance. And maybe it has to do with doing the majority of this movie in front of a blue or green screen, no cast chemistry. This movie did not work for me. Goes in my number two slot. At number three, it goes to Thor The Dark World, primarily because this movie is so forgettable. And this was also at a time where they really didn't have the Thor character down. Chris Hemsworth still had the long blonde hair. They were making him too mythical. They tried a little bit to bring out the humor and Thor, but Chris Hemsworth didn't really know how to play him just quite yet. Didn't truly nail it until the next movie Thor Ragnarok, which I was like, oh that store, he had to look down. They cut his hair and that led to better Avengers movies. So I think it's just a product of the time. I love the first Thor movie, but this one was not it whatsoever. I never want to see it again.
Speaker 1: At number three is.
Speaker 18: Thor The Dark World, and in that Ford slot it is Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. For a movie being titled The Multiverse of Madness, they didn't really have much to do with making the Multiverse mad and me being somebody who loves a good horror movie. Having Sam Raimi one of the most beloved horror directors of all time, the product just didn't match his body of work, also being the director of the Best Spider Man trilogy. It is also largely cited to being a part of the decline of the MCU and a movie we really had to bounce back from. As me being one of the people still fighting for the MCU. I got to make excuses for this movie, so that is why you put it. And I only saw it in theaters once and was never inclined to go back and rewatch it on Disney Plus because I just didn't enjoy it. So in that force slot the Multiverse of Madness rounding out that list, it is the Eternals, the Marvels for the Dark World, Doctor strut in the Multiverse of Madness being my mount rushmore of bad MCU movies.
Speaker 1: But again they're only being four.
Speaker 18: What I would consider bad movies in the MCU that I just would not watch again.
Speaker 8: Not bad.
Speaker 18: So do those We carve them and then destroy them out of the stone.
Speaker 16: Carn She's a queen of talking, if you son, she's getting really.
Speaker 19: Not afraid to things, So just let it flow. No one can do we quite car Line. It is sounding, Caroline.
Speaker 10: I'm so excited to be here with Bradney Foster.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: I'm excited to be here with you. Carolyn.
Speaker 13: You're a legend.
Speaker 10: You're a text.
Speaker 9: I don't know if I don't know if I'm a legend, but I sure appreciate it.
Speaker 15: You're a Texas legend, you're a Nashville legend, and you're one of the og like country like country country artists like you know, like they're there are.
Speaker 9: People when when I was in Foster and Lloyd, there were people who did not consider as country music, which was kind of really strange because I listened. I don't know, but I think it was because we had long hair and earrings and ship like that. So can we say that on on air?
Speaker 1: All the ship you want? Okay, great, So people that Foster and Lloyd wasn't coming.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we were way too left a center for those guys.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And if y'all listen to your songs back because I.
Speaker 9: Was actually sounds perfectly hillbilly.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm like man, because it was I.
Speaker 9: Mean, all we were doing was really taking, you know, what we loved about rock and roll and then what we loved about country and just mixing to together, which people have been doing forever. We just did it our own way because we loved the Everly Brothers and we loved Buck Owens, and we loved the Beatles. So we just like mixed in the Birds and all the all this, you know, the southern California stuff that was really changing country music even though they weren't calling it country music, like the Birds and the Flying Burrito Brothers. But how do you listen to grand part? Since then? I call that country music? You know?
Speaker 15: So how do you feel today and age that like the TikTok generation has no idea what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: You know what's amazing. What's amazing.
Speaker 9: What's amazing is how many of them do know really well because they have the library of Alexandria in their back pocket, right, I mean my kids, you know, I like, how did you learn about my son? Was one of them. Was cleaning up the studio and U and I walked in at one point and he was listening to an Al Green record, and then I walked back out because I'd gotten whatever I needed from the studio. And then I walked back in and he was listening to crossby Steels Nash's first album. And I was like, how do you even know about this stuff? And I said, well, your record collection first of all. I said, yeah, well there's that, but you know, it's like YouTube, it's all it's all there.
Speaker 15: Isn't it fascinating? I find this fascinating because I'm forty years old now and I've now lived through some shifts, some generational shifts. You know, I've always just felt young. I was in my youth forever, and then all of a sudden, I hit like thirty five.
Speaker 12: I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I'm an adult.
Speaker 14: I'm an adult.
Speaker 15: And like, not only am I an adult, but like I'm get close to halfway mark, and you know, it's just and then you realize there's a whole new youth generation and their feelings are all different than mine, and what they think is cool is different, and I'm like, I can't believe I'm here. You know, when you used to be in the middle of like everything that's happening. You're a creative, you're creating things, and like it's like your world. You're in that world, and then all of a sudden, I'm like, oh my god, there's a new world. So like, I feel like that's happened to you.
Speaker 10: How tell me about.
Speaker 15: Your when this all started for you, and how this el this evolution, what it's been like so much In country music.
Speaker 9: I was I was playing and singing and writing songs in college and I you know a guy who's kind of lit who we thought was ancient. I'm sure he was twenty nine, you know, we were at all twenty and he said, man, who does those three songs? Because we had a band that was kind of like the Nittigritty Dirt Band. We would rock up a country song and country up a rock song and you know, and that.
Speaker 1: Was very cutting edge back in the day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And so he knew all the other songs because they were just you know, Guy Clark and dirt band covers and and Burrito Brothers and stuff like that.
Speaker 10: And then got a look of these Burrito Brothers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, I mean what a name?
Speaker 9: Yeah you need? Yeah, that was barely born out of the Birds. It was the guy like Bernie Leaden, who was an original Eagle and Chris Hillman, who was an original Bird started that band.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like the Traveling Wilbury's.
Speaker 9: Yeah it was at the time. Yeah, it was okay, along with Graham Parsons, who it's a it's worth worth worth going to look up, okay, And so we were playing all that kind of stuff and the guy said, well, who wrote what banned does those three songs, and one of the guys said, you can't get them. Our singer wrote them. He said, Man, I don't know anything about the music business, but I've got a buddy who's a producer in Nashville who I went to college with. And I'm like, sure you do you know? And so I wrote down on a match book my name and my phone number. Now my phone number. I don't want to match book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, switch is yeah, because there's no cell phones.
Speaker 12: There's no cell phones, no, no, page's probably there.
Speaker 10: No what year we talking about.
Speaker 9: We're talking in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 10: You are og rock star, country star.
Speaker 9: It's so cool.
Speaker 10: So you're trying to get your starts.
Speaker 15: You're like, okay, you can have another on.
Speaker 1: A match box.
Speaker 9: And it's the payphone at the end of the hall in the dorm.
Speaker 15: So she just used to wait by the phone for it to ring literally right, yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 9: So sure enough, Like about two weeks later, there's a note tacked my you know, corkboard on the front of my dorm door.
Speaker 4: Is anybody walking by want us to answer it?
Speaker 9: Well, it was kind of the deal. It was the honor system. So if you didn't answer things for the phone, then you know, nobody else is going to answer for you.
Speaker 7: How we got contacted?
Speaker 15: Like you just better hope that somebody's walking by the phone with somebody you and you.
Speaker 9: It was kind of the ethic, you know, yeah, oh it's just parents.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, call you.
Speaker 9: And there was a note you know, and a pencil. It is like call your mom and dad. Consider it on the guy's door and uh so uh it had a six to one to five area code and I was like, that's Nashville. And it had the name Brown Banister. And I was like, who's Brent? What? Why do I know that name? Why do I know that name? And I realized, you know, from reading the back of every single record that I'd ever listened to in my life, in every girl's dorm, there was this record by this new contemporary Christian angu named Amy Grant. Brown Banister was the producer on the record. Oh man, So I was like, that's a real guy, and uh it's like that drunk.
Speaker 1: I wasn't kidding, you know, so and and he followed through, and.
Speaker 9: He followed through, and so Brown said, Hey, my buddy says my buddy says I need to come, you know, listen to some of your and so we kind of arranged where I could, you know, get to see him, and I played him like five songs and he said, you got to have a serious talk with your mom and dad about doing this for a living. And so that that really was someone giving me permission to do this because my my you know, my great grandfather was the first lawyer in Del Rio, Texas, and he sent every single one of his boys to law school.
Speaker 15: You're joking, No, he was going to carry this legacy.
Speaker 9: And then my father went to law school. So I knew my lot in life was to go to college and.
Speaker 10: Go to law school, which is a good lot.
Speaker 9: No, it's a yeah, it was a good thing.
Speaker 15: That knowing that you had that lot pre planned, was that like maddening a little bit.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think, you know, the scariest part was, you know, you know I did this in the worst possible way. Is you know, I woke my parents up in the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: Wait, you woken them up in the night.
Speaker 15: Just tell them that you're moving to Nashville.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I basically I woke them up in the middle of the night, and I said, I think God wants me to drop out of college so I can be a singer and a songwriter and both of them, and set bolt up right in bed. My mother was a school teacher, small town school teacher. My daddy was a small town lawyer. And he breathed the longest sigh I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 15: Was there a reason we went for the middle of the night. Was it just like shocked that you thought maybe they're sleeping.
Speaker 9: I couldn't sleep anymore. And I was supposed to go back to college in like three days, So.
Speaker 15: You're not gonna wait till tomorrow. You're like, it's happening now, what's.
Speaker 9: Happening right now? I got to get off my chest. So my dad said, said, this is the exact words. Son, I've don't got a long, long time.
Speaker 5: Like that.
Speaker 17: I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't believe he wants any son of mine to drop out of college to be a singer and a songwriter. You heard wrong.
Speaker 10: I can't wave your dad for no.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 9: You heard you might want to go back and you won't want to.
Speaker 1: You might won't go back and check that out. That's what's up. You got all those podcasts, you got the Bobbycast, you got in the Vets Office, you Got four Things Sore losers. Check it out. It's a Sunday sampler. We let you sample stuff. But if you like any of those podcasts, why don't you go subscribe to one that would help us?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 1: Thanks? Also check out our Instagram, the Nashville Podcast Network, Boom at the Nashville Podcast Network. If you don't mind subscribe rate review that literally helps us, I promise you so thank you, have a great week. Bye everybody.