Speaker 1: This is he said, a ya viho with Eric Winter and Rosalind santav.
Speaker 2: All Right, everybody, welcome back to another episode of he said. He said, this is getting really lonely with my wife gone in Puerto Rico for so long. In fact, it's delaying a little bit more because the island's being hit by a hurricane as we speak. I think it's approaching now in the next few hours, which is crazy. So her production has been shut down for two days. She had to move locations because the generator issues, and now she's in a hotel in San Juan. They are now behind a couple of days, which is a huge bummer. But you know what, everybody's safe. Everybody's doing okay. They knew there was a chance because they were filming during hurricane season that you know, something like this could happen. Of course they It just happened to hit the last week of filming, which is a super bummer. But other than that, she's doing good, you know, crushing it. Things are going well and I'm I'm holding down things here, working like crazy. Kids are still out of school. We have two more weeks before they're back. LA Unified went back, but some of the private schools have not yet, so we are waiting. But Dylan's excited to start first. Sebby's going nuts going into junior high. It's so much work in a fun way. But kids are not easy.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I mean they are easy, but there's so much to balance, right, There's so much, especially going into the teenage yeers. Yeah, it's it's interesting. It's a ride. It's a ride, something to look back on and go, Okay, I remember when I was like that.
Speaker 3: I had such a blast.
Speaker 2: By the way, with Jonathan Mark, the medium that was on the last episode, it was really look. We didn't get to talk about about it much, but everything he was saying regarding my dad was pretty spot on. I will say there was there were definitely things he wouldn't know. He absolutely there's no way. It's not a Wikipedia, it's not you can't google any of these things. Stuff he was saying was fully accurate it and not something he could possibly have figured out.
Speaker 3: So that's always mind blowing.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to do a private reading with him, and maybe I will share that as well on the podcast. Some of the findings and what we uncover, but everything else has been smooth, you know, working hard on Palm Republic. Everybody, please continue to check us out on our social channels, Palm Republic rum our website, palm republic rum dot com. It has been a lot of fun, uh makeing a lot of headway, great things coming. It's it's it's really interesting, you know, building a business from the ground up, being a part of that that journey and taking so much ownership in it because I am I'm extremely passionate about the company and and everything I've I've poured so much into it. So it's like watching a little another little baby grow up. So it's been fun. It's been fun. I have great support, you know, Group to investors are phenomenal and my partner, Brat is amazing. So we've been very uh at a very good place. And after a good start. A lot of my cast has been getting gift boxes there over the moon, sharing it and it's it's so appreciative, so appreciated by you know, by me. I just love the fact that they are so supportive of what I'm doing and out there, you know, putting on their social channels and and they actually are fans, you know, they love it. They're they're sipping on it. So anyway, that's what's going on with me. It's like I said, it's been busy. We're gonna jump into some more audience questions because it seems like you guys have really been enjoying these.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I know it's not as fun when my wife isn't here, but I'm gonna tackle it the best I can and we will pop through some more of these and hopefully I have a guest on another upcoming episode very soon. Let's start with Lynn Presley. Uh, you've had a bad case of Olympic fever. Okay, Hypothetically, if I was to be an Olympic athlete, what would my sport be?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: While it's a good question, if I would have been an athlete in the Olympics, probably volleyball. To be honest, I played football and volleyball, you know, a big chunk of my life. I'm a huge fan of both sports. But I loved I love volleyball, which is obviously an Olympic sport, and I think that would have probably been the one I would have pursued. A good old team sport. And I was watching a lot of the Olympics. I can't say I was watching all of them. It wasn't I just didn't have as much time because I was in Puerto Rico for a lot of it, and that made it tough and I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked to. But I got to see some of the big ones. The women winning gold and soccer was incredible. That was so fun to watch. I mean against Brazil too, of all of all countries, it was quite the win for the US. And I think, listen, breakdancing should never have been in the Olympics. I'm sorry, I'm gonna go out there and say it.
Speaker 3: I think breakdancing is awesome, big fan.
Speaker 2: I don't get why, of all the dance disciplines, that was the one they decided to put in the Olympics.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's hard, it's very acrobatic, for sure, but there are plenty of plenty of other dance since that have been around for you know, years and hundreds of years that I think would have made great sports, even partner dancing. It could have had some ballroom, could have had some Latin ballrooms, some salsa stuff like that, you know, could have had ballet. You kind of get that with the water sports. There's obviously a lot of that ballet going on in the water side of things, but I don't know, break dancing felt a little weird to me. Obviously, Australia had had a very the women's group had a very interesting run with our our girl who is the teacher and doing the kangaroo hop.
Speaker 3: That was a trip.
Speaker 2: You know, Let's see what Let's see what we bring the Olympics when they get here in Los Angeles in four years. I'm excited to hear baseball might be coming back, which would be fun. Okay, Auia Cruz Wasabella have a Kincignana or sweet sixteen, that's a great question. I think Roz would like her to have a Kinciinneta. I'm totally open to that for sure. By the way, either way, it'll be a big celebrat for sixteenth and I'm sure we will probably you know, phrase it as at Kinsynata. That would be a lot of fun to watch my daughter go through that, like my wife would have, you know, back when she was sixteen.
Speaker 3: So I think that would be very cool and we will.
Speaker 2: We're talking about doing a baptism from Dylan obviously. Actually the next time we go back to Puerto Rico because Sebbi had hers when she was very little. Dylan has yet to be baptized in Puerto Rico, so that's on our agenda for one of our next trips back. He's excited about it. Yeah, so that's that's something else going on. I know you're asking about Roslin's film. It's kind of like what I alluded to. It's been going great. There's hurricanes making things more difficult, and then they start editing next week. They are already when you start filming, you're making a movie, there's already editing going on.
Speaker 3: Along the way.
Speaker 2: But now there'll be you know, the full blow in her sitting in editing for at least the first first five to seven days to get everything off to the right start before she can finally hit home.
Speaker 3: That's the plan.
Speaker 2: And once that and then she'll continue the editing process via zoom from over here. But we got to get her back, got to get her back. It's been a long time, Lynn, just wondering if you had any part time jobs as a kid.
Speaker 3: I did my first job.
Speaker 2: My first job was working at Pizza Hut, believe it or not, when I was in high school. I think it was over the summer. I did Pizza Hut for at least six months, made enough money to buy myself a new pop off face radio for my car, which was such a big deal. Then you could, you know, push the button, the whole face would pop off and you'd carry that face around like you were super cool or the.
Speaker 3: Old or you just put a handle on.
Speaker 2: You'd pull the whole radio out of your car pretty much and think that was cool to walk around with, so that whenever you got broken into, they couldn't steal your radio. Funny enough, that was my first big splurge from my part time job. Let's see, I definitely want the kids to be you know, finding a part time job when the time is right and getting them out there to learn what the workforce is going to be. I think it's so important for kids to do that at the right age, start working and understanding.
Speaker 3: What it is like, you know, what it's like in the real world.
Speaker 2: Would you encourage Sebbian Dillan to go down the road, Yeah, I guess I just answered that. I do think it's a very important way of respond you know, in teaching them about great financial responsibility and instilling that in uh, in their in their mind and their actions. You know, we try to do it even now at home. You know, when they want things, it can't just always be I want, I want. It's like you have to do some stuff around the house, find a way to help, and you can earn some money and then you can spend it accordingly. And even when we buy them things, I'll often say, Okay, Sebie, I'll get you a couple of pairs of shoes for school to start. But if you want another pair, these aren't cheap, so you can use some of your money. And if you don't have enough money, then you can find a way to make some money. Give me some ideas. We do sometimes obviously the typical chores around the house, but I also like them to try to be creative and find ways that they can be useful and helpful to see if they really want to make the money, how are they going to do it. So that's something my dad was always very passionate about instilling to me and getting me started with my own checking account early, and I remember when I got my first credit cards very early. He was all about building up my credit. Let's see how many days of filming do you need for an episode of the Rookie that is? It varies, but usually it's about eight. Some episodes we get to nine. We've had ten day episodes before, but generally it's around eight, I believe, and about I would say most of that is on location. We have a good three days probably on sets. Maybe it splits fifty to fifty on some episodes, spends on our budget for that episode at Sweet Italy. I believe that's what it is. How many days of filming do you need to I just answered that. I just answered that same question. I had a repeat question, and do you have to repeat everything again in the studio to get the sound? No, so that's an interesting question. No, so sound travels with us where we go. Anytime we're filming, sound will cover us obviously on stage, and they cover us out outside. But it's a little bit different when they're getting sound done outside because you have a lot of other other noises going on. Right, So, airplane comes by, we often have to cut or we just keep it rolling and we pause for a second and wait for the plane to pass, and then we say that we continue the dialogue. If there's any other outside noises, people, things, going on.
Speaker 3: As long as it's far enough away, it.
Speaker 2: Won't pick up on sound and we can keep shooting. But if things get too loud, we have to pause and stop. You know, siren somebody drives by that sort of thing. Definitely, you can't know, you can't avoid it. But that's generally how it works. For the most part.
Speaker 3: Sound is again always there.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we have to do something called a dr where we have to go in the studio because no matter what they could do on location, they could not get the sound right. It just it happens. It's part of the process. Not easy to avoid. And you know, we're pretty we have an incredible sound group, so we we get most our stuff. I've done very very few days on ADR in seven seasons of The Rookie, which is incredible because it's a whole separate deal out of your debt. You rarely get to do it when you're at work. So that's that's how that plays out.
Speaker 3: Doug.
Speaker 2: Let's see, Doug, I think it is okay. Are the police codes you use on the Rookie actual police codes and the call numbers or they change the show?
Speaker 3: No, those are actual codes.
Speaker 2: We try to take things straight from the police handbooks that are tech advisors. And you know, one of our key writers and producers on the show was a San Jose police officer, so he's a writer in the room and also advises on a lot of that stuff as the writers are writing to try to keep everything as authentic as we can, super important to us. Katherine Guzman, which a list.
Speaker 3: Director would you want to do a movie with? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, I'll be honest, there are so so many that I would love to work with. I'll just throw Scorsese out there. I think he'd be I've just loved all of his movies and that would be a dream to work with someone like him. But truly, there's there are so many, uh that would Yeah, that would be just a milestone, you know, uh situation for me as an actor. I did get to work with this guy, Gabrielle Muchino, who had a very big moment in the States after he did Pursuit of Happiness with Will Smith, which is nominated for an Oscar And he did my very first pilot ever and it's it was very cool working with a director coming in with so much you know, heat after a big movie like that, and we you know, I've had I've had quite a few good directors. I mean, like that came from the feature side, but I've had so many great TV directors too that like our the one that did our pilot in The Rookie, Liz Freelander. Love her and she is incredible, one of the best pilot directors we have right now. So it's definitely there are plenty more film directors I would love to work with for sure. Let's see Grace Kaiser. How did everyone in the Rookie cast start their acting career?
Speaker 3: Like? Okay, well, that's tough.
Speaker 2: That's tough thing, but it's it pretty much starts the same with everybody. Everybody auditions, you know that for their first thing. You know, in the world of acting, that's just how it starts, you don't. You don't get into something without auditioning and get in a room and having the creator or the director or somebody get their eyes on you and see what you're doing with the material. As you grow in your profession and you start to build a name, then you can start getting offers because they trust your work. Now even nowadays, though, it's it's that much harder just to continue to work in this business, so they're making Actors that are very established still have to audition for roles. So you not everybody. Obviously you're a big movie star, you know, DiCaprio is not auditioning for things. But even some of your you know, big TV stars that you're familiar with, that are very big, if they don't have a personal relationship with the people making that project, they will there's a very good chance to have them read, especially if it's for a big movie, for a big role. It might just be reading as a chemistry read. It might be just something on camera as a test. It might not be you know, the basic audition like any other actor going in, but they like to see it on its feet, and sometimes it's about chemistry. And I think most of the actors on the Rookie all had to read for their roles. I know a couple obviously, Nathan did not, and I think Alissa Alexi was a fan when she did Ray Donovan, so he knew her work.
Speaker 3: So she was approved.
Speaker 2: But the rest of us had to be out you know, get out there and test and read. And even someone like Richard who's done tons of work before the Rookie, you know, still had to go out there and show that he could be Sergeant Gray. So it's part of the business. I often say the auditioning is really the job. Like all the work leading up to the TV show or the movie, that's that's the job. When you actually get on a show, that's fun. I mean, it's still it still takes a lot of work and you have to.
Speaker 3: Use your craft.
Speaker 2: But navigating the auditioning process while still using your craft and building out a character and you know you don't know as much about the character really is the hardest part in this business. Let's see at or this is bosh Mitz two and three. I guess what it is. My partner's love language is physical touch. But I always get really nervous whenever he touches me, even if it's just a small touch. And I don't know why. Wow, do you have any tips for me? Also, Eric, what is the best advice Rosin has ever given you? Oh? Hit me hard with these questions. The best advice Rosalind's ever given me? I mean, I don't know if you're talking about when it comes to love and life in that way or if it comes you know, just in general. But she's always advised me just to can you believe in myself and dream big and never quit on what my goals are. You know, that's something that Roslind is incredibly good at. She has an intense drive and she works as as hard or harder than anybody I know in this business, and she dreams big and she makes those things come to life for her. So it's something that I've learned and she's preached to me for a long time now. As far as your love language or your partner's love language being physical touch, I get it. I'm the same way so as a man, I get what he's what he's you know where he's coming from. But why you get nervous is really an interesting question. Obviously I don't know you well enough, I can't really answer this properly, but I would say it's a bit of a concern if you're nervous, unless it's something that stems from past experiences you've had, and maybe you need to go, you know, meet with a therapist and talk through that and understand why there's a trigger in you. Maybe it has nothing to do with him, Maybe it just has to do with physical touch in general, and that has to do with some past trauma or something like that.
Speaker 3: So I'm a big.
Speaker 2: Believer advocate of psychologist and working with a therapist and getting to the root, you know, cause of things. I truly think you should explore one because I think that's a very important part to your relationship, is physical touch. No matter if it's your true love language or not, it's mandatory in a relationship. So yeah, to try to dive into that more because I think he's not getting the best of you if you're already feeling, you know, a little bit nervous or uncomfortable with physical touch now unless it's good nerves. Now, when I first would start dating somebody, those that initial touch, it can be nerve wracking. It's but it's a fun nervousness, you know what I mean. It's it's butterflies in the stomach and that's exciting. But if you're getting like fight or flight nerves, that kind of feeling, that's something you should definitely talk to someone about more.
Speaker 3: I feel.
Speaker 2: Do you ship Palm Republic merch to other countries? We get asked so often about Palm Republic going international and we can't wait until that day happens. I'm so sorry we do not ship international yet. With merch or the actual spirit the rum. But look, I know a lot of people that have been finding ways around this. They have friends in the States that are buying the merch for them and then they're shipping it over seas to you know, we have a fan in the Philippines that's gotten a bunch of merch, has gotten bottles, everything. So people have found ways to get it into Canada. They found ways to get at places. I'm not telling you that's what you should do, but believe me, I don't want to make it in trouble. But I know that if you you know, someone could buy it in the States, especially a hat or shirts or whatever, they can you know, ship that right over to Europe very easily. It just take a little longer to get there, and it might be a little expensive. But I think look into that option if you have a contact in the States that can do it. At t lights, Hello from England. Okay cool. After listening to the show, I think your attitude towards life is very motivational. I love to hear that. Have I ever considered writing a book or doing public speaking? You know, I have never considered writing a book. I definitely have a long way to go in my learning process to be preaching to people about ways that they can be better or change any of that in that kind of sense. But I do my best.
Speaker 3: I listen.
Speaker 2: I was a psych major. I love conversations, engaging with people about their life, their happiness. We do this, you know what happens at work all the time. Richard and I probably tend to be two of the ones that love to engage in conversation and find ways to help or give our advice. But I don't ever try to push my advice on to anybody. If somebody asked me for it, I'm happy to talk through things, but I haven't gone that route. Or public speaking, although I'm here's what's funny about me. I have no problem hosting, I have no problem acting. I don't find myself to be the best public speaker. It's a different set of nerves speaking in front of a giant group of people and just presenting. But I can do it. I'm much better now than when I was younger. I was terrifle terrified and terrible is what I meant to say. I said terrifle. That's a new word I just created. I was terrified speaking in public it was not required at my school, in college or in high school, and I see it with my daughter.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: She's so good at public speaking, but they started them so young in kindergarten. They were already saying little things in front of the all grades in elementary school, and by sixth grade she's sitting here giving presentations in chapel, which is incredible. So I love that she's not going through that. My son will hopefully get to that place too. He's obviously a little bit more reserved. But I used to freak out speaking in front of people, and I've gotten better. Let's see, maybe that'll be part of my future. But however, I could go host no problem. You put a prompter in front of me and you give me lines, I have no problem reading those lines and saying it. EBW films, I like that. Have you ever had a real life event or ever written into a show or film you are doing. I have had real events that happened to me on a ride along for the Rookie, Like real ride alongs. We've had those written into the show on any of the shows we've produced. Have not put in real life events. But my wife and I have been for years, right before I got the Rookie, we were trying to develop a sitcom around our life and how different we are, very similar to this podcast, funny enough, it was almost what inspired this podcast, and we were far down the road in development, and then I got the Rookie and she got Grand Hotel and that got put aside for a while. But we're hoping at some point we can take our life and turn it into a sitcom, you know, sort of allah. Everybody loves Raymond kind of a vibe. We just we find the things that happens and it happened in our lives very interesting and funny. Maybe it's just us, but a lot of people around us find it that way. And we're so different, like we, you know, this show so opposite and are difference in cultures and everything. It just lends itself to great stories. So let's see that might be in the future at some point. Club Aven. Have you ever done a ride along with police officer? Now that just leads right into what I was saying previously.
Speaker 3: I have done.
Speaker 2: I've done three ride alongs. One of them was in a pretty mild division of the LAPD two of them were in much more intense areas. However, one of those areas, it was a super quiet right along, there wasn't a ton of activity, but the other one got pretty heavy at a couple of moments. We used one of the incidents on the show where we got pushed into it.
Speaker 3: We were pushed.
Speaker 2: We drove through a major gang area and that area was having a massive party, and the sergeant told everybody they had to leave and clear out. When it was just me and my director, Funny enough of the pilot in the ride along and we're you know, we're we have no gun, we have no w revest, and he confronted hundreds of gang members basically at a party and told them they needed to move on, and it got very intense and very scary, but they ultimately.
Speaker 3: Listened. We took off and left.
Speaker 2: And we had within five minutes, there was probably thirty cops all meeting to game plan how we're going to go in and raid this house? And I was like, how are we going to do this and be a part of it? And we were game. Liz and I were game. And as soon as we were about to go in all those the gang, the gang party ended. Everybody went home or went somewhere else. So it was very There's a very interesting relationship between gangs and police out there in the streets. You know, it's everybody kind of tries to function with as much peace as possible, knowing that they have to coexist. And I think gangs still do obviously what they need to do, and cops do what they have to do to try to keep it safe. But it's it's a very unique balance that I saw play out firsthand. Francesca, do you have a favorite line that Tim has said? Tim has a lot of great one liners, I'll give I will say that I don't know if I have a favorite. I really don't. I just got a new script that came out and I'm cracking up at some of Tim's lines because they're so dry and they're so snarky and quick, and with his tone, it just to me they read so funny. So I don't know if I have a favorite.
Speaker 3: I really don't.
Speaker 2: I know fans have sent me tons of their favorite lines, and I I think Tim is a great one line character. He just has some drops that are funny and some of them make it, And.
Speaker 3: Yeah, such a great character. I love playing Tim.
Speaker 2: Do you have a favorite cocktail you make with Palm Republic. This is a great one to end on with the question. So I have I love an old fashion. That's probably like my go to drink all the time when I go out now, and it has been for years as I was going through bourbons and whiskies, and then when I fell in love with rum, I would you know, find ways to try rum, you know, indifferent in different cocktails. And I tried it one time as an old fashion. Was obsessed then with Palm Republic because I believe that our rum SIPs so much differently than a lot of the age RUMs out there. I think our leans a little bit more to the bourbon and whiskey flavor profile. So for me, that's my favorite aged cocktail that I make with Palm Republic is an old fashion And sometimes I bought a smoker. I do a smokey old fashion and I smoke the glass. Love that drink, the classic Cuban Dacri. Big fan of that with our silver three ingredients lime, simple syrup and our rum and Palm Republic and you put it in a shaker with ice, boom, shake it up, get it nice and cold. That's a great, simple, clean drink. I mean not too much sugar, still has sugar, but it's fairly clean. Mohitos I've always loved mohitos with you know this are our silver what else I you know again, I'm also very simple like our silver on the rocks with a lime go to our aged on the rocks. I absolutely love it that way. But a mint julip, that's another popular one that people are doing. We have an event we're doing not very soon here and that's going to be a feature. Is a mint julip, which is usually a bourbon because it's Kentucky and it's very famous at the Kentucky Derby, but use it with palm Republic rum. Try that as well. We have a bunch of cocktails on the website, so definitely check those out. Again, this was fun as always. I love diving in with listener questions. Thank you everybody for writing in. I know we have tons and it's hard to get to everyone, but we're always open to more, so please make sure you send them in and you know how to find us at he said aad Ho. You can DM us or email at ericinrozieheartradio dot com and until next time, peace out.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to write us a review and tell us what you think.
Speaker 1: If you want to follow us on Instagram, check us out at he said. Ajab or sin Is at email, Eric and Ross at iHeartRadio dot com, he said. Ajab is part of iHeartRadio's Miculduda podcast network.
Speaker 3: See you next time. Bye,