Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: I love Dan Patrick Away.
Speaker 1: Good home to the biggest guests and best sports talk on radio.
Speaker 3: I love it. One of my favorite.
Speaker 1: Normally home to Dan Patrick. Hope you'll missus Watson today, Dan and the Dan Nets are off.
Speaker 4: Don't see another radio show, behinme event.
Speaker 1: And filling in. It's Jonas Knox, Brady Quinn and LeVar Arrington.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: It's good broadcasting from the Mercedes Man Cake. This is the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 5: Here Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas.
Speaker 4: Knox with you.
Speaker 5: You can find this show on the iHeartRadio app and you can always find us weekdays Monday through Friday, three to six am Pacific time, six to nine am Eastern Time.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 5: So we preced this show here on The Dan Patrick Show, and apparently they've they've decided, you know what, we're gonna let you guys go ahead and sit in for DP and the guys here today and then on Monday here as we get you set for a busy weekend in the world of football. By the way, some of these bowl games have been pretty entertaining. We've got a couple of five or six over till about.
Speaker 3: Kansas State last night coming back. That was fun.
Speaker 4: Toledo.
Speaker 3: Chris Clemb's do an amazing job.
Speaker 4: Man was that.
Speaker 3: I think he's won three Bowl games last four years. You'll get enough credit.
Speaker 5: You got a Colorado and BUYU this weekend, so that'll be a fun one.
Speaker 3: So I did see an article, how the what was it claiming it was like Deon Sanders gets a historical amount of insurance for Shador Sanders and Travis Hunter to play in it. It's like, okay, like it's not the first time that's ever happened. We don't need to make it bigger than what it is. This is actually pretty common and this dates back, I don't know, decades of players get insurance before games.
Speaker 4: Did you get insurance? Bar I certainly did. Sweet Yeah I did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my whole my whole last year, my junior year, I got the whole season in short.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, like, it's common for a lot of guys to get insurance before the entire season, and it usually ends up being quote unquote historical because every year the draft goes up in value as far as what that player is making. So if you're slated to be a first round pick or however it works, or projected to be a top ten pick, whatever it is, they're gonna add on what, three four percent, whatever it is. So every year it's historical in nature. But I love how we read the headlines.
Speaker 5: Now Nick Sirianni's at it again, the pison passion in Philly.
Speaker 4: The passion.
Speaker 5: Apparently he had a little bit of a dust up with Zach Ertz, former Philadelphia Eagle after the game over the weekend where last weekend we're apparently beef water. Yeah, it was just kind of, you know, talking trash. He made a reference to the fact that zach Ertz didn't really do much in the game, according to Nick Sirianni, and they had to be separated. I guess they spoke afterwards. Zach Ertz said, it's all good, you know whatever. But this was Nick Sirianni discussing it yesterday.
Speaker 7: I'll just keep all my conversations with any guys private. I got a lot of respect for Zach, great football player, great person to be around. You know, I really really got a lot of respect for Zach and all the good things that he's done in my relationship with him.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like a similar tone to every time there's another dust up involving him to where he comes back afterwards. Yeah, you know, listen whether he takes a shot at the fans, whether it was getting into it, you know and yelling obscenities at Mike McCarthy last year the week, like is this just is this why there's speculation that he could be on the hot seat, Like it has nothing to do with the winds because he's won a ton of games there in Philly, but it's all the other stuff off the field that they can't trust.
Speaker 4: Him, you know.
Speaker 6: You know what's interesting about the question is when you think about when when when a player or a person in the business world, or you know, a bull and and and the bull, you know, like you're doing bull riding or whatever it may be, you know what you do to get them to perform At times?
Speaker 4: You agitate them.
Speaker 3: Hey, how did they go about agitating them?
Speaker 6: They poke them and that them truck nuts. I've seen it and I can't believe it. They would make them bulls go there, They make them bulls so upset by poking them in their sack. And I'm telling you it is the wildest thing, because once they let him free, that agitation is the reason why that that writer is in such a bad way when they get out there in the arena, right, And I think Sirianni is a poker, So.
Speaker 3: You're saying he's doing that as motivation.
Speaker 6: They're winning. And I haven't heard anything come out and report manner that would lead me to believe otherwise other than last year when Don wasn't on the sideline, and seems things seem to be spiraling a little bit last year, But since then, I just haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that Sirianni is this toxic type of dude that is ruining the culture or ruining the locker room with the way that he is. I almost feel like it's quite quite the opposite. They're all kind of chippy, they're all kind of coming at it from from that kind of like beefing type of of approach, like we're we're Philadelphians. Like we're Philadelphia. We beef, that's what we do. We're tough where heart knows, like we're blue collar. Like it feels as though that that's kind of what the approach is. But I'm gonna lean more to that than I would say that this is why he's on a hot seat for not keeping his job.
Speaker 4: What else could point I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's not performing. I think he rubbed some people the wrong way though, and they don't like it. But I still think he gets results off of the way he's running things.
Speaker 5: Like I'm looking at it, there's two teams that have had better records and more wins since he took the job in Philadelphia, Buffalo and Kansas City, and like he's rare air, yes, and so the and but yet we're having these conversations before the year and it's you know, died down a little bit, but it's like, hey, what do they need to do for him to keep it job. Any other organization like he would already have an extension, there'd be conversations about what a performance he's off to this hot start. But with Sirianni, is this all about the fact that he's a red ass and just likes to mix it up with people, and he's pissed people off.
Speaker 3: And that's why I guess I'd look at it this way. I think Hallie Roseman really runs things there. And I think if you go back to even Chip Kelly, who we tend to forget, he was what twenty six twenty one, I think he won ten games two years in a row there and went to the playoffs, and he had rubbed some players the wrong way during his time there, but from all intensive purposes, it was a successful coach. Like his win percentage was like five point fifty three. I think Andy Reid's during his entire tenure in Philly was like five eighty three, so not too far off from that. Now, the difference was didn't have the postseason success, didn't get there in his third year, and how he Roseman want to move on, so they move on to Doug Peterson. Doug Peterson ends up leading them to a super Bowl. They win a super Bowl. Now, his win percentage was actually worse than Chip Kelly's over the course of his time there, but I think it's more about that. I think it's more about how he Roseman looking at the guy who's in that position coaching this team day in day out, and asking himself, like, can this guy lead us to a super Bowl? Because the roster is good enough to get us to the playoffs? And I don't know that anyone would deny that. I think when you look at the amount of talent they've stacked up on this roster of the years, especially when healthy, I mean their backups. A former first round pick I think very capable, and Kenny Pickett of being a starter, maybe especially if he continues to develop. Now he's playing banged up, so we'll see what that looks like. But I think it has more to do with that, and I think it has more to do with Howie Rosemanden, you look at his track record since he's been in involved with this organization, is truly the one calling the shots and truly the one evaluating the guy in the position who's the head coach saying yeah, well this team should be a playoff team. Like that is the flour it's can you get us to a super Bowl? Like we feel like we have as good, if not better of a roster than Kansas City. We just don't have Patrick Mahomes, but we like our the guy that we got in Jalen Hurts, and so if that's the case, like kind of similar to San Francisco on the run they've had of getting the NFC championships, trying to get to a super Bowl, like we should be there, we should be doing that. So I think that's where it comes from, is when you are like a high achieving organization like Philly has been, I think they look at it from a different prism, and I think they look at it and saying, like, we're trying to make sure the guy who's in that position as head coach isn't the thing preventing us from winning super Bowls and getting to super Bowls. And under Nick Sirianni, as good as they've been under the regular season, they haven't been able to get there yet.
Speaker 6: I don't know, man, I I just think if we're talking Philly and we're talking super Bowls, that's that's far and few in between. I mean Andy Reid and Doug Peterson like that's it. I mean maybe somebody before got close or whatever it may have been like way way back when. But for mel dig for Meal, there it is. But they're not a super Bowl. They're not like they won one, you know, They're not like it's not like their title town like they they come up short. Pretty much the history of the organization, they come up short and winning it all and listen setting a standard, the standard that that has been set, you can clearly tell that this is a town in a city that embraces going forward and getting close to getting it or winning it.
Speaker 4: And I understand that.
Speaker 6: But I mean, if you have if you have a coaching staff that has your product on the field performing and you're getting rid of them, you know, I don't you know, I don't know. I don't know what the end result of how to interpret that would be because it's like, am I taking a job to be judged on success or failure? Which one is it? And if the goalpost is being moved on me having success and that's what that's not enough success knowing that the history of this organization doesn't say like I could see if you go to green Bay now or not green well even green Bay, but say you go to New England and it's like your standard is to win a super Bowl and it's like kind of like super Bowl or bus there.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 6: Y'all win super bowls, Green Bay, they win super Bowls. There are places where you can look at the history of the organization and say you win super Bowls now. If you're trying to create a standard of this is where we're trying to get. I understand that. But you also got to you a tap bit flexible and and you got to have a little bit of grace because y'all don't win them. Y'all don't win super Bowls. Y'all won one. Y'all made it to to what two two?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well with Andy Reid, well they've made it to three three three. They lost to one. They're one lost two one one yeah. Right, So there you go.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, man, I have a little grace on.
Speaker 4: Guys that are coming in and they're having success. But you don't give people that grace if they've if they're turning people off what to know like and what you off?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: What is it if if you if you again are proverbally what was it poking? Poking the bulls and they uh truck nuts struck nuts, which is a way of motivating, by the way, not to get off on a completely separate subject. But would that work in trying to motivate Lee? You think, uh, he'd be like poking a little bit.
Speaker 4: So what do they poke?
Speaker 6: Been poking Lee? So I just poke Lee? Maybe a couple of breaks ago in.
Speaker 4: The truck nuts Yeah, what are they poking? Poking? Is it? Are they burning them or they're just.
Speaker 6: They're not a I mean some would say that's abuse what they do, but they're not burning them.
Speaker 4: They're just poking.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you burning?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Do you gotta add burning? Like let somebody poke you in your truck nuts and see it? Like I'm just gonna say, to be burned?
Speaker 3: Does it? Does it need that much? Like to make you really think and like shock them?
Speaker 4: Huh? You like you one of them dudes? Are they shocked?
Speaker 3: You're wearing like a chastity belt?
Speaker 4: What's happening?
Speaker 5: Maybe it's one of those ones that he's gone through it so many times. You got to up the ante a little bit, so we burn them next time.
Speaker 6: I don't think that I would ever get used to somebody poking out of him.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I'm just saying, how can we motivate Lee? Is that one of the ways? Maybe give him a flick or something.
Speaker 4: I think he's motivated. I think Lee's great.
Speaker 3: Because he's there, Worsley.
Speaker 6: He's there, I'm here. I guess Lee, anybody, I think that's what he'd say if you poked them. Heyboddy, anybody what do you think you're doing there? What do you think you're doing there?
Speaker 4: Huh? It's gonna poke me there? Huh? Anybody anybody ouch? Ouch?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so uh, who knows with that Nick Siriotti. But but he's winning.
Speaker 6: And if I'm looking at the the NFC again, one of the big bad wolves that are out there is in Philadelphia. You gotta be concerned.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Granted, they let one get away from them this last game, I get it, but I don't think that that's indicative of where what this team is and where they're going. I think they have more than enough to be able to handle their business in in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: On the NFC side.
Speaker 5: It's looking like Kenny Pickett time this weekend though, Yeah, and I don't think is.
Speaker 3: It looking that way? I know you're a little skeptical. Who now he plays there time this week? Do we have any sound on that we can play? Is there any confirmation of Kenny Pickett's going to play?
Speaker 4: We do promise you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to go into detail on what it is, but you know they're getting better and I'll be ready to.
Speaker 3: Go for Sunday. Yeah, flak jacking on today.
Speaker 4: I've ever played before in those Yeah, I always have.
Speaker 8: There's just actually actually thing I'm doing underneath it just kind of feel it out for.
Speaker 4: You, don't none of your business.
Speaker 3: The best is like when the media asks, I mean, do you not stand out there to practice and look at the quarterbacks and how their jersey and shoulder pads fit and it's different. It's like, yeah, dude, everyone wears flap jackets, like everyone wears some some different type or brand. I mean, they've evolved over time where now they can like mold them to your ribs and so if you have, for example, an injury where sometimes you know, there's only a portion of your ribs that are like usually protected by a flap jacket. So the newest ones there's like this this molding material that you kind of shape and can tour to your body and you could actually fit like two and so it extends up a little bit higher to protect you a little bit more, especially if you're dealing with the ribb injury.
Speaker 5: I mean, he didn't play that bad against Washington, considering he was kind of thrust it in there and Jalen Hurts went out with the injury, which, by the way, I still nobody has answered the question why the official was laughing at Jalen Hurts like he was some drunk guy on this treet, like, oh, he's had too much to drink. Like, Jalen Hurts gives him a thumbs up and the guy just laughs at him. Said, ah, I get to the sideline. But you know, I'm glad we're taking concussion seriously in the NFL. So no Jalen Hurts this weekend. Kenny Pickett's going to be slinging it around for Philly. They've got Dallas and Mike McCarthy also trying to save his job there with the Cowboys. So that is the update from the NFC East.
Speaker 4: It is too u not too pro? Why do I keep doing that?
Speaker 6: Just about well, because we do a show three hundred and some days a year, and that's what you say.
Speaker 4: Listen Dan Patrick's show. But it is we are filling. It is two pros and a cup of Joe filling the Dan Patrick Show here and it is all brought to you by tire dot Com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, LeVar, yeah, you can get to that in a second. It's not even part of the read. Did you tell Jonas what we call the show when he's not here?
Speaker 4: Uh, well no I did not, But go ahead, you could tell him what is it? Well, what I have to tell cup? I don't know, got there's no Yeah, two pros and two pros and a cup. Two pros and a cup. We didn't put the Joe in it, you know, we just left it out there, so we can't put the Joe in it. I mean that name sounds familiar.
Speaker 6: Two pros and the cup, Yeah, it does. Just saying it does sound from it was very popular on the internet.
Speaker 4: You are you are weird o. Why would you even have that as a reference, way before TikTok? Yeah? Way, that was like when viral became a thing.
Speaker 5: Speaking of viral, tire rack dot com is the official tire expert and retailer.
Speaker 4: Of the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 5: Go to iraq dot com slash Dan, try the Tired Decision Guide and see the full line of Goodyear tires, special offers for you, roadh hazard protection and mobile tire installation ti iraq dot com The way tire buying should be. So there's a new, brand new trend in the world of football, and it makes you wonder are Brady Quinn and LeVar Arrington. Next we'll have the answer for you right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course, the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search kobeen on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich, Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for DP and the guys here. And it is a football Friday, which means we're gonna gamble our asses off.
Speaker 5: Coming up here in about twenty minutes from now. We've got some picks against the spread. I don't want to gamble my ass? Why not?
Speaker 4: I want to keep it. I'm starting, I'm starting to get into a groove.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: Are you back at five hundred for the year? I went, oh, oh for huh? I was taking on making some some picks, man, you know.
Speaker 3: Not not you Jonas though? Are you referring to like our picks against the spread? A you're talking about locks, not Knox locks knocks locks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the man.
Speaker 3: We don't keep track of that because no one knows if it's actually true.
Speaker 6: That's true. I mean, I'm saying that what we keep track of. I went over, you know, the ones we keep score on.
Speaker 3: I don't even keep track of it anymore. I missed like two weeks, so it's gonna be hard to make that up horrible.
Speaker 5: For the record, I also said that there should be some grace for you you were traveling for Big neon Kickoff, Lee should at least honor what you would have picked in those spots.
Speaker 3: Well, he would text me at like right at the beginning of the show or something we'd be doing, and I'm like, I'll get to this later.
Speaker 4: Rob Stone.
Speaker 3: He's probably yeah, he's probably just waking up. Oh yeah, I forgot to I forgot to tell Buddy. I forgot to text against the spread.
Speaker 5: The latest everybody to Brady for his picks for NFL games that he misses.
Speaker 3: Oh, they were probably on a Sunday, oh the latest.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah.
Speaker 8: Well I don't want to bug him on Saturdays, so I usually wait until far after the games are done.
Speaker 4: Maybe I always send it after the show.
Speaker 3: Any text You do not send any text on late on a Saturday night. We've never well shocked.
Speaker 8: I always send it after the show. On a Friday, I always do the Google doc. We love the Google doc here on two pros and a Cup of Joe. So I always send it on the Google doc and then I'll send a reminder of text agress on the Sunday morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why did he get fine for that? That was a passive aggressive shot.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's fine, just saying like it now leaves me passive aggressive about it. Damn, you can't try to make things better. No, Lee, you do never have reached out on a Saturday night. All right, let's just be very clear about that. You are usually pretty tied up on Saturday nights.
Speaker 8: That's true, and that's true, and I didn't want to bother you. I know you're busy on Saturday. So yeah, I'll send it.
Speaker 3: By the time he wakes up with the time difference on Sunday. Now, you're usually it's sort of like a games already kicked off, that's right before.
Speaker 4: Yes, maybe is the latest.
Speaker 3: It is due. If I get a text from you, it's like probably at some point in time Saturday morning, and it's usually I'm already like doing stuff for the show and Lee's just waking up from the night before. That's that's usually how that works.
Speaker 4: That is that is very true. That is very true. But I think the latest I did send it.
Speaker 8: Was like rite at kickoff, but it was no scores had happened yet, so I was trying to get them in people.
Speaker 4: What time do they normally wake up on Saturdays? Lee? What what time? Right around kickoff of Big Noon? So I missed, I miss Brady. It's okay, I mean I watch you know, I'm a fan every week. I wad dp's.
Speaker 6: The guys with our therapy sessions take place laugh on radio? Yeah, no, thoughts wonderful. Yeah no, I'm spectating just like them. Okay, just listening.
Speaker 3: Jonas, did you notice how Lebron said that, you know, Christmas Day is the NBA's day.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, even though he loves the NFL, so he made it a direct at the NFL.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you think any of the Christmas Day games for the NBA will surpass was it twenty four million? Was the average audience?
Speaker 4: Probably not? Yeah, I'm gonna go with probably not. I mean, will it will it do half those numbers? Probably not?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 5: It Just like, I don't know why they can't just be honest about the situation and stop getting so and look, I know that you know, ESPN's got a vested interest in it, and there's other people that have vested interest in the NBA. They wanted to work, they want it to be successful, and they just cram it down your throats at all hours of the day, and god forbid anybody speak out and say, look, the product stinks. It's not the same as it was. The games are competitive. You've put a premium on the playoffs, so why should we watch the regular season? Like you can't do that? Or else you just labeled a hater. But then they take get upon themselves after they win a Christmas game and want to and Lebron wants to make it a point that yeah, this is our day.
Speaker 4: This okay. Yeah, Well, like the numbers say different.
Speaker 3: So yeah, do you want the total numbers?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was twenty four right.
Speaker 3: So it's it's a little difficult to measure because you're talking about a streaming platform as opposed to you know, broadcast television or cable television. Right, because the metrics for like streaming. A lot of times they'll look at, for example, how many people tune in for at least one minute, So sixty five million US viewers tune in for at least one minute of the two NFL games. Sixty five million people. All Right, the average during both games was north of twenty four million. Twenty four point three for the ball you know Ravens Texans, twenty four point one for Kansas City Pittsburgh, which is crazy considering you know, both games are blowouts. And this is according to Nielsen, who does all of this. The NBA's five slate averaged about five point two five million, and that's across ABC, ESPN, those platforms. So there you go.
Speaker 5: I mean, but it's their day, Like, no, don't anybody step on our toes here, it is our day.
Speaker 6: It's like I said, I think, I think what the purpose of that was is to one hundred percent identify and and rally the troops that truly truly support the NBA. I mean, you even get a couple trolls on on your social media that talk about every time we say the NBA doesn't matter, you know, he has something to say. I think that it is. There are some people that are very very keen on how the NBA works and their involvement in the NBA. And while it's not as large a market, you know, as as it would be for the NFL, I think Lebron James saying that he's still sending out like that kind of that signal to everybody who does really really support basketball and is really into the NBA. I think he sent that as like that's their rally crowd, like, let me make sure that y'all know from Lebron James. That wasn't somebody else that could have been any of all the other new emerging stars in the league to have said something to that effect. It was Lebron James that did it, you know. And I thought the timing of it and the positioning of the way he did it, he was doing there was certainly an agenda connected to him doing that, and I don't think that it was in any way shape form based upon him thinking that the NBA ratings are competitive to the NFL. I think he's just rallying his troops, rallying the NBA troops to say, yeah, you know what, he's right, And maybe I don't even like the NFL all like that. Maybe I'm just all about the NBA.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm just here to tell y'all the NBA is not as relevant. It's not even close to as relevant as the NFL. It's just not in terms of viewership and relevance. It's just not it just is what I think.
Speaker 3: The tough part too, is the NBA players have so much power, and if you look at the decline in ratings, and if we're being honest with ourselves, there is just a much part of it as anyone else. The decision for load management and and to take games off, the impact that I think it's had, not only on ratings, probably on just even casual fans, fans that want to go to games and then have to worry about, Hey, I'm taking my little timmy to the game, and guess what, Lebron's not playing he's out tonight and not finding out about that till you get to the game, right, and he's his favorite player, and you know, who knows how much more Lebron's gonna play, and you don't have the opportunity to go see him play, like all those things that you really don't see in the NFL until maybe week eighteen, right or our guy gets shut down due to injury. I mean, just in comparison and comparing between the two sports. And I understand it's a bit of an apples and orgies because the physicality of football versus the NBA, But even in that discussion. Part of how the NBA game is played now is a byproduct of things that NBA players should probably be pushing for. Bring back hand checking, bring back more physicality to the game, just so we get a little more defense, a little more something else to this game that makes it more attractive for viewers instead of four guys standing around the three point line and just kicking out from an open layout to try to shoot a three. I mean, they don't take responsibility for why they are where they are. And joining the super teams where you guys all get together and have three superstars on one squad to try to win championships. Like all those things, amongst others, are some of the realities of why they are where they are. And you know, Jonas, we've talked about this for a long time about moving that the sketch and saying like like why try to compete with the NFL now that the NFL seems like they're going to continue to keep putting games on Christmas. I mean, it originally was more of a thought of you know, hey, it's just on the day of the week that Christmas falls. Well, now it's on a Wednesday, right, and the NFL is like, yeah, we're comfortable throwing a couple of games there, and we found a suitor or a partner in Netflix who's going to pay us a bunch of money too for it, So why not, right, It's good for our partnership, good for our business moving forward. And so next year, what does it fall on a Thursday?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, yeah, you can expect to have some NFL games on that Thursday too moving forward that are going to absolutely dwarf anything the NBA does. But if the players don't take accountability for why they are where they are, and they don't try to circle together and go to the NBA owners and be like, look, you know, we're obviously getting paid, we feel good about where we're at, but not necessarily with the leagues at like, let's try to make this right, let's try to fix this. I don't know that there's any players who are really champing for that, rooting for that, And that's the hard point. It's like, it's only gonna get worse. I don't think it's gonna get better based on the current products, unless they want to take ownership of it and try to be.
Speaker 5: The change they've figured out in the NFL's figured out a way to market or brand or present their product differently.
Speaker 4: And better than the NBA has.
Speaker 5: And it kind of reminds me of the UFC in boxing, where man, look, I love boxing and I grew up a diehard boxing fan. It's not even close the presentation same, and what they've done between the UFC and boxing.
Speaker 4: It's not even close.
Speaker 5: Like it's it's in another level, like the excitement, the energy, how it's packaged, the way they the way they bring you the product there, the way they're able to promote it on social media, the way boxing is like, well, no, this guy can't fight this guy because he's got a promoter here, and this guy can't fight this guy, and no, no, no, no, we have a contract here I can't get out of.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: If you do that, you're gonna lose your belt because you haven't defended it. And it's just too many different things going on to where it's hard to keep track up man, Like it's hard to know. Okay, so who's playing what? Like you've got five games on Christmas and the end of a like I look at it and I go, there's just a better way to streamline it to the audience and to present a better product and a better league, and they haven't been able to figure it out, and the NFL just continues to capitalize on And.
Speaker 4: We've talked about our show.
Speaker 5: It's not like the Christmas games were good, Like both those games were blowouts. Like a lot of games in the NFL have been non competitive, especially lately when teams realize they're out of it. Yet people watch it and they prefer that over the NBA, and the NBA should take notes and be like, how can we do this better and differently, And instead they're like, Oh, let's put together an NBA Cup and we'll give out a trophy and we'll have a celebration in Vegas that nobody wants to go to afterwards even if.
Speaker 4: They want it. Nobody cares. Dude, you're not fixing anything.
Speaker 3: Did Levarn Did you say? I mean, it's kind of a participation trophy. It's like getting guys to play during the regular season, and games that are I don't know, I mean, they're meaningful at the end of the season, maybe not necessarily so much in the middle, but it's it's, honestly, in a way, like a participation trophy, like thanks for playing during the regular season and this in season tournament right.
Speaker 6: Because guys don't want to play right, Guys do want to maintain their health and the load management aspect of it. It's trying to find that balance of playing enough basketball where you can be relevant as a superstar player, relevant enough to keep your team good enough, and being contention for the playoffs and being healthy enough to make a run when it gets down to crunch time at the end of the season and in the playoffs. That's what I truly believe is is what the NBA and what the NBA players are always trying to figure out, and that play in tournament was just one way of saying, Okay, instead of waiting until it gets to crunch time at the end of the season and you guys start picking up your play and playing more, let's create to play in tournaments so we'll see more of the guys. Give them incentives, so we'll see more of the guys that wouldn't be necessarily playing as much during this duration of time due to load management and injury preservation and all that stuff, that they're going to actually come out and play. I'll ultimately say, the reason why it's going to be difficult for any other sport to ever have any more relevance than what it does, and catching up to the National Football League or even college football at that is because of the amount of games, and you guys have touched on every point, right, Like the amount of games says to me to a sports fan, an average sports fan, I'm not I'm not getting dowed in to college basketball or the NBA until it gets closer to March madness, until it gets closer to the playoffs, and then once the playoffs get here, and which, for what it's worth, I kind of feel that way about the n But at least I know that more often than not, you get to certain points in the game, they're racing for the divisional crown, they're racing for the number one seed. Like those things happen early on, early.
Speaker 4: On in the year.
Speaker 6: Get out to a fast start, so so you're you're facing you know, injuries or whatever it may be. Mid season, you can still have time to try to regroup and make it back into a number one seed or make it into a wildcard position. The storylines are way more intensified because there's less there's less games, there's less opportunities for for for failing, for for messing up, for blowing it off. You just you're just not going to see football players sitting out games. It just doesn't happen. If you're sitting out a game, it's not load management unless it's you're going into the last game of the year, and that's even a debate, and.
Speaker 4: If you do, you get shamed for it.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, I just think that it's just a different mentality, it's a different approach, it's a different way of looking at things. And for what it's worth, when I look at basketball, you're always going to fight the idea of relevance during times where the sport just doesn't boast the level of intensity of needing to win. What team right now in the NBA needs to win right now and we're a little ways in now, we're in there a little bit. But I'm not looking at any of these teams like, oh, this team is at five hundred right now, they're in bad shape. Or this team is a whole lot of games above five hundred, and well it's risky for them to be here right now, or they're safe and where they're at, No, they're not safe. They could slide. They can have a tremendous epic slide and end up being in a totally different position by the end of the season. So I just think that there's just no way of really creating that sense of earth urgency and these other sports because they play so many more games.
Speaker 4: The Pelicans have the worst record in the NBA. They're five and twenty six and still can make the playoffs.
Speaker 5: They might win a title, I know, And the Saints are five and ten. So it is good that your football team and your basketball game of the same number of wins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that five loss for the Saints is way different than the five wins for you know, or five wins for Saints is way different than those five losses for the The Pelicans could still turn their season round right now, as crazy as that sounds, with that that crappy ass record that they have, they could in some ways still turn their season around.
Speaker 4: It's possible. Yeah, there's a plan, you know, it's possible.
Speaker 6: So like you have that record, you have a record anywhere comparable to a bad record in football, and you're out of it, like you're out of it, and you know you're out of it, and your fan base knows you're out of it, That's.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Two Pros and a Cup of Joe in for Dan and the guys.
Speaker 5: Coming up next here though, we're going to take a little bit of a preview look ahead to the NFL this weekend, and it's yours right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 4: Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox filling in for DP and the guys.
Speaker 4: Coming up top of next hour. A little over ten minutes from now, an interesting move was made in the world of football and it could have ramifications on this show, involving two of the three hosts here.
Speaker 5: We will give you the details on that for you coming up here top of next hour. A reminder, though, shortly after the show, the podcast will be going up. If you've missed any of today's show, be sure to check out the pod search Dan Patrick or Two Pros wherever you get your podcast. Be sure to also follow, rate and review it again. Just search Dan Patrick or two pros where we get your podcast. You will see this show posted right after we get off the air.
Speaker 1: Five lines, not those kind of lines. Five picks, five spreads, Time for picks against the spread.
Speaker 8: All right, Lee, how are we doing here? It was an interesting week sixteen. Indeed, Brady was the lone wolf taking the Ravens to cover versus the Steelers six and a half. Of course they won that game thirty four to seventeen, very close.
Speaker 4: Good job there, Brady.
Speaker 8: And then we had this, We had Jonas alone taking the Chiefs versus the Texans crazy Commanders versus the Eagles and Cowboys versus the Bucks crazy.
Speaker 4: And then we had a rare push. We had Vikings at Seahawks.
Speaker 8: Vikings was minus three, ended up twenty seven to twenty four Vikings.
Speaker 4: So that was a push all around.
Speaker 8: In the end that last week, Jonas, you went three to one and one, Brady won three and one over and then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're only over for the season. That was a rare one. Sorry that, Lee. What are our season standings for the new audience here?
Speaker 8: Well, the season standings are this, Jonas, you and LeVar are tied with forty three wins. But Jonas, you, uh, you have thirty four losses and three pushes. LaVar, you have thirty six losses in one.
Speaker 6: Push, so that puts uh, Josh had more picks than every How do I have more?
Speaker 8: Because you take money line a lot of the time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you don't understand that hurts you a lot of the times.
Speaker 4: No, I do. I understand that it helps me too if I win it.
Speaker 3: I don't want the money you it should, but he doesn't award you extra points for picking the money line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, in all reality, we probably should give LeVar more credit because he's hit a lot of money lines and Jonas is just simply taking the point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think he deserves any credit, to be honest, Yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 4: I've taken that worries Jonas. I'm taking it.
Speaker 3: At one point, I want to say, LeVar hit like eight of ten money lines that he called, which is pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 6: I like taking the chance. I'm like a black jack I am a blackjack player, So I'm like going to like throw the card, you know what I mean, throw the card. I'll be at fourteen fifteen sixteen, Throw the card. I'm not holding on sixteen. Throw the card. I'm gonna play hard, you know what I mean. That's my game. That's my game. I like poker, though, but I like black Jacks quicker. I'm looking back at it. Yeah, lots of good, good money. Lane calls on this.
Speaker 4: Come on, let's go.
Speaker 8: All right, let's go to week seventeen. We got some Saturday games. We've got Broncos at Bengals. Bengals are three and a half point favorites at home.
Speaker 3: Bengals. I'm laying the points. I think Burrows on a terror right now. I try to get back in the playoff hunt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm a second that that damn hook.
Speaker 4: I'll take Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: There's a three or three and a half, three and a half, okay, yeah, still.
Speaker 8: Yep, all right, Cardinals at Rams also Saturday, six and a half points for the Rams at home.
Speaker 3: Rams are going to cover. Oh damn, take Arizona. Yeah, I'm at Arizona. That's a lot of points. He always plays for the closeness they.
Speaker 4: Do, they do that is a lot. But I think they're gonna cover.
Speaker 8: On the Sunday, Colts at Giants. Wondering if Anthony Richardson suits up. Colts seven and a half point favorites at the.
Speaker 4: Giants are horrible.
Speaker 3: That has to be factoring in though he's playing then, right.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 6: They are one of the worst teams in the National Football League, right, That.
Speaker 5: Was stinks and they're over a touchdown favorite at the Giants.
Speaker 4: I'll take the Giants getting that many points.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna lay the points because I feel like something's fishy about that, Like it doesn't make sense for them to be laying that many.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the Colts will cover, all right.
Speaker 8: Packers at Vikings Packers a point favorite at Minnesota.
Speaker 6: Money line in the Minnesota Vikings. There's my money line right there.
Speaker 4: I'll take Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I'll take Minnesota too, all right.
Speaker 4: Falcons at Commanders Sunday Night Football. Commanders three and a half point.
Speaker 6: Favor Lea's a Green Bay Packers fan, people, So just so you know that's a bummer, go I say again.
Speaker 8: Lee, Sunday Night Football, Falcons at Commanders three and a half point favorites.
Speaker 4: For the Commanders.
Speaker 3: Washington.
Speaker 5: What's the point only three and a half Yeah, yeah, Washington a cover with Michael Pennix's second start on the road against a dan Quinn lad defense.
Speaker 4: Unless you know he knows that's Kirk Cousins X and he's really inspired.
Speaker 3: That is true. Land the points with Washington.
Speaker 4: That's your picks against the spread. There you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It feels like five and oh to me, But I don't know how you guys feel about yours.
Speaker 6: I feel strong this week. I feel strong. You want to win some money? Listen to me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, little stix picks on a football.
Speaker 4: I feel good about it today. I don't know. I might go undefeed it this week.