Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is DJ Envy Jess Hilarious, Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. He's been all over the news the last couple of days. Ladies and Gentlemen, Clarissa Shields, she's actually playing Clarissa Shields and the new film The Fire Inside, which comes out Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have Ryan Destiny.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: How are you feeling?
Speaker 5: I'm feeling good. It's an early morning. I'm on LA times, so it's really early.
Speaker 2: Is it hard to get up and do press?
Speaker 5: A little bit? Sometimes if the timing is is weird like that, just because I'm used to a different time zone. But other than that, I'm good. How long go?
Speaker 2: Does y'all film The Fire Inside?
Speaker 5: That was in twenty twenty two? Okay, we started to film in twenty twenty right before the pandemic, but then we got shut down and then all that as well, so we popped back in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: You're boxing, I'm sorry, well you boy? Were your boxer or were you training? Did you so you had to learn boxing. How difficult was that?
Speaker 1: Because I seen the preview and I'm like Jesus.
Speaker 4: And when Clarissa was here, she said that was the thing that that had to be on point the most to boxing.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah, it was very nerve wracking, but it was. It was a lot I think just because I wasn't a boxer or just an athlete in general, like that wasn't my thing, but but I think it was. It was good because I was a little scared and that that helped just me go for it even more, you know. And I trained for months with my boxing coach and it was like he was like textbook boxing coach. I sparred a little. But also we have the studio being like, don't hurt her. So it was also just them not wanting me to actually get hurt. But so, do you think you got hands in real life or just on your Everyone keeps asking me that I really.
Speaker 6: Don't know, y'all said, yeah, I mean you, Clarissa.
Speaker 2: Now might run down on you.
Speaker 5: I feel like everything will just like disappear if I actually have to get into a fight. So I don't know, we'll see, we'll not.
Speaker 3: See you would run or you would just get into like I just feel.
Speaker 7: Like you go blame like you know, like I just said, there's a role to you. This is not what you want to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like if it's on camera, for sure, but outside of that, I don't know. I don't. I don't do this.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in a fight real? No? No?
Speaker 5: Never? And that was one of the first things Clarisa asked me. She was like, have you ever been in a real I'm like, girl, No, absolutely not, that's not me. And that scared her a little bit at first, but after she actually saw it, she cried all the all the things and was really happy.
Speaker 6: How did you get that? Did you you audition for that? Or they just pitch you?
Speaker 5: Oh my god. No, it was an audition process like anything else, and they saw so many people and I knew it was going to be competitive, just because the story itself is incredible and also the people behind it are really great. So yeah, it was just like the regular, regular thing. And I didn't think I was going to get it when I went into it, which I think helped because I didn't overthink everything. Yeah, you know how I usually.
Speaker 6: Do so well.
Speaker 4: The tough way to prepare for the role mentally physically or emotionally, because you know what you think about Clarrisis's life, she had a very very very so mentally, physically or emostally.
Speaker 5: What was it was?
Speaker 6: All of it.
Speaker 5: It was all very very new and different from me, and just a challenge across the board, which I liked, you know. I wanted that. I wanted something that would push me and you know, do something that I've never done before, have people see me in a different light. That was something that was very important to me. But mentally, I think that was something that I had to really hone down on because having the confidence of an athlete is just a whole other beast that I don't think a lot of people think about, and then having the confidence of a boxer is another level, you know. So I just wanted to make sure I could grasp that because she's just superhuman to me, you know. So, Yeah, all of the things were were very very difficult mentally, I think that was probably the most if I had to choose.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna say, how was Clarisa during the filming, because she's very intense. Yeah, and when she was.
Speaker 3: Up here, she you know, she talked about how she wanted to be perfect like her life, right, So how was she when?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Was she easy to talk to? Say, well, how was your life during this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was very easy to talk to and she was a really open book with me, which I appreciated a lot. There's also a documentary about her life that's incredible, and it was like my notebook, my bible on set, you know. I referred back to that so many times and it was so helpful because it's just so raw and it's a front row seat into how she is with her family, her friends, with her coach Jason, And it was so great to pick up on those things because it's one thing to talk to her as she is now and how old she is now, But she was kind of a different person too a little bit at sixteen seventeen, you know, So to have that with some thing that I definitely went back to and was really helpful for No. No, it was also still pandemic key times. But she was also training, i think in that time, also in another country, so it was it was a lot of things happening. But No, she didn't actually go.
Speaker 4: How tough was it to release the spirit of Clarissa Shield so to speak?
Speaker 5: Not too tough. I think it's still in me a little bit, but you know, in a good way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I think I've walked away from these from this experiment with just a new confidence in myself that I don't think I had when I entered it, you know. And I think that I have heard a thank for that. You know, she is somebody that really speaks life into you and also speaks life into herself. And I thought that that was something that I needed, you know, to have and to take. And I think that that stayed with me and stuck with me, which I'm really happy about.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I've seen the preview during I think it was Wicked or Glady too, probably both them. So it said Christmas Day right, and I was excited for the preview. I mean the preview was a long preview.
Speaker 1: I thought it was dope.
Speaker 3: Well, Christmas Day? Does that worry or make you nervous or scare you in this industry? Because I'm like, Christmas is a time where families are together, they're at the house, and to come out on Christmas Day has to be like I was like, why Christmas Day?
Speaker 5: Apparently it's a good thing day if you go to the studios that's like a prime day for them. And I think it's also just because a lot of families don't have much to do and the theaters are open, and you know, everybody takes their family and like goes and has a good time. So I'm excited about it. I'm hoping that a lot of people do do that because it is something that I think is for everyone in all ages. So everyone literally can go. So I'm hoping that that happens. You know. I think it's such an incredible story that needs really to be heard and supported.
Speaker 6: So everyone go out.
Speaker 2: They got four daughters. It was like once you open the gifts and everything ain't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, food, so that's a good day.
Speaker 4: What is?
Speaker 7: Because I know you love music too, you're a singer. Would you like most acting or singing?
Speaker 5: I can't choose. I really cannot choose. I really love both, and they both have a sense of freedom that I really appreciate, and just the creativity that I get to have with both of them and being able to push myself. It's very different. They're in two different worlds in my mind, but I really do appreciate both. So hopefully, if I'm blessed enough to be able to continue to do both. I would. I would love to do that. So we'll see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you got into music because of your dad, right.
Speaker 5: My dad is a singer. Yeah, and he started when I was you know. I mean he started way before I was born, but I was in the studio with him when I was a baby and all those things, so he definitely inspired me.
Speaker 4: I don't remember the group he was in, and I'm old. I was born in nineteen and seventy eight. I don't remember guests. Do you remember guests?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 6: Get kind of you gotta look up.
Speaker 5: Guess they had a song called Shoeby and a good a few good other ones too, but you know, they didn't like have a big, big moment, you know. So it was also I think he started at Warner Bros. And then went to Death Row and that's just a weird transition too. And when I think that was like their first time signing singers, I think that, yeah, And I think it was right before it was right before everything happened with Tubac and Biggie, So it was not the greatest time. Yeah, And things kind of went a little left with Sugar and everything, but it was it was a great, great, great group, and he's so so talented and he's still singing it and doing his thing today, So I'm proud of him.
Speaker 2: Did he want you in the industry?
Speaker 5: I think he just always supported it, you know, and he saw something in me and him and my mom just always uplifted me and and been there and there to protect me too, because they also can see how crazy it can get, you know, so they were always in my corner and always always there.
Speaker 4: What's the guidance they've they've provided as far as this industry wise, Like, what, what's some of the best advice you've given you?
Speaker 5: I don't know if there's something in particular. I think it's just me making sure I'm protecting myself, you know, and watching out for myself in these rooms and especially within the music industry can just get a little shaky. It's it's a lot better, I think now, because there's a lot more awareness around the weirdos that are out there freak all. It's a lot it's a lot different now. People are people are checking it out and seeing what's wrong with it. So but before, you know, people could get away with a lot more things. So I definitely made sure that I didn't put myself in any sort of position and knew when to walk away from something as well. So yeah, and how.
Speaker 6: Are you and Keith?
Speaker 7: I know y'all were, uh, y'all were dating, and then it was speculating that y'all broke up because y'all took down each other pictures.
Speaker 2: And we love y'all.
Speaker 6: We love y'all, So what is the status for that?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 5: We're really good, great, yeah, and we support each other so so much and what we're doing, and you know, the industry is just crazy, so it's nice to separate the two, you know. So I was just a little yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Because we get scared of stuff like that. We love y'all, and I mean we is in like not.
Speaker 6: Them the girls.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people my age.
Speaker 2: Know what you're talking about.
Speaker 7: That's why it was my question.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: How much has your life changed over the last five or six years though, like you know, the success you had with Star, Like you know, every everybody wants to start a movie. We'll talk about that in the second week. How much has your life changed over the last five or six years.
Speaker 5: It's funny because I mean I started the process of the movie five years ago, so it's just been it's just been a lot of ebb and flows. I think, you know, the pandemic has changed the industry a lot, and it's changed the way that I have seen myself in it and having to maneuver how I go about things, if that makes sense. So it's definitely something that I've grown from and I'm starting to just realize what's most important. And I have to remind myself of that a lot, just because I think you can get caught up and just all of the noise and what you should be getting or what you haven't gotten yet. And so I think I'm just trying to go with my gut and continue to do things that I'm really proud of, because with this project is probably the most proud that I've been of something, and I really want to continue to feel that way. So I'm just letting that sort of guide me more than anything else.
Speaker 2: What does success look like for you in this business?
Speaker 5: I think it's kind of like what I just said. I really want to feel like I continue to do things that really matter and have an important message, you know, and it doesn't have to always be so heavy, But I definitely want to represent for a lot of girls, a lot of black women, and hopefully if I can, you know, be a part of projects that have a great narrative behind it and put us in a great light, then I'd be very very happy And hopefully, you know, that can continue to happen. But I think success varies, and if I'm happy and I get to a point where I feel a bit more at peace with everything in a way, you know, I'm also very aware of accepting the fact that things won't always be just positive and great all the time, and I think, you know, getting more and more into that place is something that I think is successful in itself.
Speaker 3: So did you hear when Chloris was up here, when she was saying, at first she didn't think you were good for the part, but then after I guess meeting with you and seeing she was like, oh, you're the only person that can play that part.
Speaker 1: So how did you feel when you heard to say that?
Speaker 5: I mean I heard it before. You know, she was very vocal with me when we first started talking.
Speaker 2: Because I don't want you to.
Speaker 7: I couldn't say nothing she can cats, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: She was just like, well, she's really pretty, you know. I didn't really know what else could you know, come from that? And I respected it. You know, there's not like there's this you know, big amount of work that I have out there that showcases that side of me. This is the first of that. So I understood it, and I knew that I was just gonna work work, just really really hard on making sure that I executed it, you know, to the best of my ability, and hopefully I did that, and her crying solidified that she approved. So I think that I'm very very happy with it all now.
Speaker 3: But she closed off at first though, was she closed off like I really don't want her playing it, And then it kind of she kind of broke down and was like, oh, she really is dope.
Speaker 5: I mean maybe maybe to Rachel our director or maybe Barry, I don't know, I don't know who. She was, you know, vocal about that really all the way to but she definitely, like I said, she asked me if I could fight, and I knew that scared her when I said no.
Speaker 2: So I didn't scare you. She asked me that, like, why is she just randomly I.
Speaker 5: Would know it was fair, you know, this is her life, this is her life story. So I really. I understood the caution, you know, so I didn't take offense to it, but it definitely put some pressure on me. And I was like, if she don't like this, it's gonna be real, real awkward. So I knew that it was it was important.
Speaker 3: You train before y'all started feeling like, how long did y'all train before y'all even turned the Cameron?
Speaker 5: So it was a little split up. I did three or four months the first time, and then when we shut down, I had to do it all over again for three or four more months. So all in all, it was like six seven months I think in total, which I appreciate looking back on because before it felt like everything was crashing down when you know, the pandemic happened. But I think that time really helped. And I went into weight training the second go round too, and it just it just made me even more sharp, I think. So it was good for me.
Speaker 2: Did delays help her hurt?
Speaker 5: Did what?
Speaker 2: Did delays help or hurt? The film?
Speaker 6: I think it helped.
Speaker 5: It helped, like in so so many ways, even with Brian he came in the second go around and.
Speaker 2: Brian Tyry Henry paper boy from Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, he's so incredible and I'm just so thankful that he wanted to do this as well. And he really was someone that was just amazing to work with and like a brother to me now. So I love him and I think that we really hit it off as soon as we met, and I think it shows on the screen, which is really good. And yeah, I'm excited for people to see that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Do you feel like you get your just due as a young black woman in entertainment because you've been you've been working a little while and you are one of them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So you do you ever feel like that that you get your you just do?
Speaker 5: I mean I also feel like, you know, I still have so much to do, So it's a little weird. I go back and forth between you know, wanting people to, I guess, see me and see the work that I've done, but also I have an understanding of how there's been so many other people, you know, that have worked even longer than me and still haven't gotten there. So it's a little bit back and forth for me, you know, and I just am I guess in the headspace of when it's time, it's time, When it's your time for people to see you, they will. So I'm hoping with this film in particular, because it speaks to that a lot, I think, with Cloressa herself and not getting her respect and just to and not getting her flowers when she should have back in twenty twelve. So I think that it's a reflection of that. And I'm hoping that a lot of people and our people do go out to the theaters to see because I think that it just would mean so so much, you know, and I don't know if people truly understand how important even that is, you know, showing up, because it really really does so so much, you know, and for the people in the industry to see, like, oh, people really do want to see stories like this, you know.
Speaker 2: If your stories don't be made, I don't spend the money at the box.
Speaker 5: Office, right, they really don't. So I'm hoping people understand the gravity of that. So it's a little bit of always a balance between knowing that I have a lot more to go and a lot more to show.
Speaker 2: You know, you said something earlier that made me think.
Speaker 4: You said, I can't remember how you worded it, but you're not at peace with where you are.
Speaker 5: I think it's just always a battle a little bit with knowing that I want to do more, you know, so knowing that I haven't hit the spaces that I want to yet. It's just kind of always feeling like, Okay, I gotta work harder and I gotta do more, and after this project, I gotta do this one and this one to just show people. So I think that's what I mean, and not exactly at Peace East, but learning to be and learning to I guess, go with the flows of everything and not to put too too much pressure on myself. It's something that I want to get to.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: Do you feel that way because you're looking at everybody else? Or is that's just something like inner for you because a lot of times people you can look at, you can measure your success where you are based on what you see others doing around you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it's probably a combination.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 5: Naturally you do compare yourself a little bit, but it's also when you see the potential that you have and you believe in yourself and know where you could go. Is it's something that I think I pay attention to a lot. I know, I know what I'm capable of, and even with this project in particular, there's a lot of people that didn't see it for me, you know, and probably wouldn't have even cast at me if it were in different hands. So I think it's just stuff like that where I know what I can do and I know what I'm capable of, So I do want to continue to push myself to those points, but also not get too caught up and looking at who's next to me and where they're at. So I think it's always a combo.
Speaker 2: They're probably looking at you, like, damn, coming.
Speaker 5: Out to go see Wicked.
Speaker 4: I want to go see this film, and I keep seeing the trailer. Damn, I need that look right there.
Speaker 5: I know, I know the rarity of it, and I'm super thankful for this time because even after the pandemic, I didn't think I didn't think it would be as possible for me anymore to get a movie out in the theaters, you know, because streaming hid an all time high during that time, and I'm like, oh man, you know, that's every actor's dream, is said to have a movie at the theater. So things like that I definitely I just put into perspective because I know how much of a blessing it is. And I'm just really grateful and thankful to be able to even say that.
Speaker 1: Charlmone you asked about Star.
Speaker 6: Hopefully we get a Star movie movie.
Speaker 1: Is that in the works?
Speaker 5: I mean, like I have answers, I really don't know. You know, Lee Daniels is always bringing it up, bringing it up to us and and different things that he has going on, but he has so many things going on all the time, and I don't know. I really I wish I had a better answer for everybody, but I don't because we're not okay with just it ending like that. It did end very abruptly. I agree, it was very weird, So I get it.
Speaker 6: My last question, so who plays pet Poost in the movie? Okay, never mind.
Speaker 5: I don't even know. I honestly, I don't even know what's going on. I just woke up.
Speaker 2: Cis and it was right there. You know.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping that a lot of people, because a lot of these blogs and everything, have really picked this up. But I really hope they pick up the fact that she has an entire movie about her life.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, feel that she's doing the right I see Clarissa doing the right thing, because all she's doing is promoting the movie.
Speaker 5: Okay, period, as she should.
Speaker 4: And I even hit her this morning and I told her, I said, you don't don't, don't get distracted. Yeah, you got a movie coming out of Christmas Day, and a lot of times when you go into that next level you'll start seeing all of these distractions playing with you in the moments.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, I'm glad you. I'm glad you text her that.
Speaker 4: Are you concerned with any of the current drama like overshadowing the movie?
Speaker 5: No, not at all, especially because I know things bow over, you know, fairly quickly. With the Internet, it's always onto the next thing. But I know Christmas Day it'll be a really big time and I know the more and more people go see it, the more they'll talk about that I think, and how inspiring it is in itself.
Speaker 1: So I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 4: My last question, is there more pressure playing a role of an actual person versus playing a character.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, especially when they're still alive. You know, it's just like so so much because then people also have things to compare it to, and they're like if you don't get it, they're like, well, she didn't do this and she didn't do that. So yeah, there's there's a lot more pressure. But more than anything, I wanted her seal of approval and that that came with a lot of pressure as well. You know, when it's other people that aren't on the earth anymore, they can't really come back like you did it. You did it horribly.
Speaker 6: That is so funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so that's scary. So I was definitely I was scared at first, for sure for her to see it, because I thought about her every single day on set. And so yeah, like I said, when I when I saw the video, there's a video of her reaction to it, and she was so happy with the boxing and so happy with the story and she literally cries every time she sees it now, And I just I couldn't ask for more. That's all I wanted.
Speaker 7: So you're saying the next person biopic that you play gotta be dead.
Speaker 1: I don't want just that.
Speaker 2: You meting with line like you did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: The Fire Inside it's coming out Christmas Day, go see it.
Speaker 1: It's it's I mean, the previews look amazing.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I've seen Gladiated too, when I've seen Wicked and it was the preview flore It was just dope. My kids were super duper excited. I'm gonna see the day after Christmas. Christmas, my whole family come over, so we ain't gonna know.
Speaker 4: Where Christmas Day I'm gonna and I'm gonna use the first of Shields fans too. I watched the documentary on Netflix, like, I'm really into what she does so great.
Speaker 5: Well, you guys got to let me know how you feel about.
Speaker 6: It, please.
Speaker 1: Well it's Ryan Destiny. It's the Breakfast Club Come Morning, wakes up in the morning, The Breakfast Club