Speaker 1: All Right podcast pioneer paranormal podcast pioneer Jim Harold is with us the paranormal podcast in Jim Harold's Campfire Twenty years later and sixty five million downloads later, and he is out now with the sixth volume of true ghost Stories, Jim Harold's Campfire again, Volume six. These are perennial best sellers. Who is the mysterious missus Raspberry?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, I love telling people about her? This is one of my favorite stories in this book. Jennifer from Idaho told the story, and she took us back to the early nineteen eighties. Now, she was a young girl, probably eight or nine years old, and her and her friend Connie loved to go on adventures. So this particular day, and this was back in the day before cell phones where kids kind of said goodbye to mom and then said hello again at dinner time. So her and her friend Connie decided to walk down some decommissioned railroad tracks about a block from their house, and they were going to go all the way down to the local lake about four miles away. And there was one track, Richard, very important to remember, one track in and one track out, no other roots. So anyway, they started walking and bout a mile from her house, Jennifer's house, there was this densely forested area, but then it went into a clearing. And in this clearing there were a couple of houses there, and there was a big raspberry thicket by one of these houses, and there was a lady there hanging her laundry up on the line. She was a little bit older lady, and back in the day, older ladies sometimes wore house dresses, and this woman was wearing a house dress and she was putting up her laundry and the girl stopped and talked to her, and she was very, very nice, this lady, and she offered the children some raspberries. Would you like to have some raspberries? So the girls went to the raspberry bush and picked them, and they kind of held out their shirts and used them as a basket. And Jennifer remembers this because they got stains on the shirts, and you know, their mom probably their moms probably wouldn't be too happy about that. But anyway, so they talked to the lady a little more, enjoyed their raspberries, and they went about their way. They went to the lake. They had a fun day. And then they walked back on his track, one way out, one way in, and they got to the place where this house should have been, and where these raspberry bushes should have been, and where the lady with the laundry should have been. But there was nothing there, nothing whatsoever. So anyway, Jennifer, being an inquisitive little girl, she goes home and she tells her family what happened. Her grandma's there, and she asked, Grandma, you know, I went to this place, you know, about a mile away and there was field and clearing and there were these houses and this lady and told her what happened. She said, are there houses there? Did we miss them? She said, yeah, there were houses there. There were houses there back in the nineteen twenties before the railroad came in. Wow. So now the thing that was really cool about this, Richard, A thing I love about this is Jennifer before she came on Campfire, the Campfire podcast, she wanted to make sure that she got this right. So she stayed in touch with her friend Connie over the years, and she called her up and she said, Connie, am I imagining this? Is this something I saw on TV? Am I getting this right, and Connie said, you're getting it absolutely right. Everything you said happened really happened. And in this case, Richard, this is one of those classic cases. I think there are two explanations. One explanation, which I do not believe. I do not believe, is that Jennifer was making it up.
Speaker 1: And then second sounds credible. She's got corroborating evidence, she's got corroborating witness, rather a corroborating witness exactly.
Speaker 2: So the second explanation is she experienced something. We might call it paranormal, we might call it supernatural, we might call it the science of the twenty fourth century. But she experienced something that was real. And really think about it, Richard, what did she have to gain by calling into my show and sharing this story.
Speaker 1: Nothing exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So I love those kind of stories, and they kind of fall in between the cracks. They're not just they're not ghost stories, but they are ghost stories. I love those kind of stories me too.
Speaker 1: It sounds like maybe a time slip.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yeah, yeah, that's that's kind of or what I think that was. This was actually, although there have been others, this was the one I was referring to when we're first talking. Is that you know, that's not a traditional I mean some people might call it a ghost, but it's not a traditional ghost. You had the houses appear, You've had you know, an interaction. You know, you're talking to the person back and forth. It wasn't this kind of quick flash. And they were in another environment. They were in I call her Missus Raspberry. They were in Missus Raspberry's environment. They had in essence, kind of time travel. It sounds like to me.
Speaker 1: I remember, very very early on in my broadcast career and I was doing a late night calling show and a woman she might have been in her seventies, and she told me a story about traveling to England and with a friend and they were touring around. They'd never been to England before, and I'm not sure whether they were I think in New Yorkshire school or something like this. And they they arrived late and they found well, now we would call them an airbnb, I guess bed and breakfast. They found a bed and breakfast and they stayed with this elderly couple in this beautiful old house. I think she described it as kind of a tutor style old home and they stayed there and had dinner, and they slept there overnight, and they got up in the morning and they had breakfast, and then off they went on with their day. And then they intended to come back to stay an extra night. They came back and no house. I mean they had they were sure they had their great location. There was no house in that neighborhood. And you know, no sign of these elderly people that had been so welcoming, same type of thing. I mean, you hear this, people experience this. There's something new it.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is. There's one other one if I have time to tell real quick. This one's not in this book, but will be in a future one. Basically, this woman and probably again in the eighties, got stuck on the road. She was attending college classes about hour from her home. It was up in New England, so very cold, winter dark, so she wasn't going to just sit in her car and free. She started to walk down from the freeway and she saw over the embankment. Down below the parallel kind of two lane road or whatever, there was a service station, a gas station, a garage. She said, oh, I'm saved. I can get them to come help. The car, so she goes in. At first, the guy's like, hey, it's almost closing time, but except maybe the owner can help you. And then all of a sudden, the owner, older man, just kind of appeared from nowhere. Guy was super nice, went up to her car, said I can't fix it now, but I can tow it someplace. He tows the car all the way, like twenty miles away for her. He barely wants to take payment as she does, but he does, but he's not like even clamoring for it. Charged her a very low price and kind of saved her because you know, no cell phones, right, and it's cold and it's dark and you know. So Anyway, the next couple days later, she's traveling to town with her family and she said, oh, let's pass by here. I want you to see this place. This was the nicest man ever. He helped me. He towed my car all these great things. They go past the station Richard and it looks like it's been deserted for ten years. I mean, it has that look of something that's been abandoned for ten years. And she's like, I was just here the other day and I talked to the guy and he helped me. And this place was definitely occupied. It was there, but it was completely abandoned, like it hadn't been used for at least ten years. And again, same scenario. No reason to make things up. And I believe this happens. Is it a glitch in the matrix? As they say? Maybe, I don't know, but there it is.
Speaker 1: Is that an example of what you call a crisis apparition?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you know, this is a really interesting one. We haven't gotten a lot of stories about this, but this was a fascinating one. This came to us from a caller in Colorado. And no, excuse me, this came to us. It involved Colorado, I should say, and it is. Her name is Christine. I'm just double checking. Yeah, Christine from Colorado actually, And she was at home and her father was a mountain climber. He liked to go out and climb mountains. So basically he was on a climb and she was in her bedroom, I guess hundreds of miles away. And her father at this particular time was on a very strenuous climb and this particular night, while he was up in the mountains having a very kind of tough go of it. Christina woke in her bedroom and she was utterly astonished because she saw her father standing in her bedroom, and she knew he was hundreds of miles away. I don't know that she knew he was particularly on the climate at this time, but she knew, you know, my dad's not here, but yet he's here in my bedroom. And her father tells her in the bedroom, says I love you, and he looked just as clear as if he had just walked in the room and said this to her. Then he disappeared. Now she pondered it, and she was exhausted, so she went back to sleep. So okay, her father tells her that he loves her out of nowhere, you know, and he's not there. He's hundreds of miles away. That particular night, when he was descending the mountain peak at the same time this happened, he had a very similar experience, but from his perspective, and he explained that he had descended the mountain peak and his canteen was almost empty. He had stopped eating to minimize the need for water. Is a very hot day but a very cold night, and at this point he was feeling ill because he was in the initial stages of dehydration. He looked for water and found a mountain dream full of icy cold water, and he drank a lot of it, but this made him colder, and he had carried no sleeping bag or tent with him to lighten the load. All he had was a little plastic sheet that he could sleep in. He started experiencing symptoms of hypothermia, and he hadn't consumed any food, He wasn't generating any body heating. He was extremely fatigued, his temperature was dropping, and he believed in retrospect he was in danger of dying. So anyway, this particular time, he woke up, he's sleeping, he's trying to rest. He wakes up and he feels like he's in his daughter's bedroom, Christine's bedroom, looking down upon her. She was sleeping, and he remembers in this quote dream telling her that he loved her. And then he woke up and was on the ground in the forest, and he just thought it was an extremely vivid dream. In the morning, he was able to recoup his strength and he was able to scale down the mountain, and he did make it. Luckily. It sounds like it could have gone ever either way, and I just think it's really fascinating. She had the experience of him appearing in the bedroom, and then he had the experience of quote dreaming about it. And it actually reminds me something I think you've done shows on this specifically, Richard, the third man syndrome. Oh yeah, yeah, people are in danger they see another person and it's not exactly the same thing. But I thought about the parallels of climbing a mountain and so forth that you hear with that phenomena. But the thing is is that we hear this like doctor Raymond Moody, who I know you've talked to I've gotten a chance to talk to a few times. He talks about the time of death. There's co location, right, somebody can show up to multiple people across the country, right across the continent, you know, regardless of where they're at, there's this co location. And I wonder if this gentleman was close to death, it could have gone either way, and he experienced this co location. And I don't know what you call that. Is that a ghost? Is that? I guess it's a crisis apparation.
Speaker 1: Right, crisis apparition. I think Moody coined the term share death experience. Oh yeah. And then there's as you say, that third man syndrome, that weird phenomenon where extreme mountain climbers will experience this presence that has helped them during you know, challenging times. I think even Ernest Ernest Shackleton, who was you know, explored the Antarctic, talked about many times when they were you know, near death. This there were three I think in this expedition, and they all reported the presence of a fourth person in the crew that wasn't there, helping them, you know, to to survive and get through everything.