Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 3: Business of Sports can be intimidating for hard for a start to break into.
Speaker 4: We really appreciate what our owners are actually there. You know with us through the journey.
Speaker 5: Teams ours especially have been very intentional to diversify at all levels of the company.
Speaker 6: Whybe We're in the golden years for the NFL and college football.
Speaker 3: Our demographic reach has continued to expande.
Speaker 7: This is going to be really unlocking the streaming platform for sports fans.
Speaker 2: Sports evaluations arising. We'll see when they peak.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be the best in your sports and make a whole ton of money.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports show. We explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Michael Barr, along with my colleagues Scarlett Fou and Damian Sassau on the lineup. Today we're talking the growth of women's golf with two time lp GA champion winner Stacy Lewis and with the KPMG Women's PGA Championship in play this weekend. We'll also speak with the chairman and CEO of KPMG, Paul Knop.
Speaker 6: This was the only women's leadership conference affiliated with a LPGA tournament that Catalyst has allowed. For now, there are twenty women's leadership conferences affiliated with LPGA tour events. So we feel really great about bringing about more change so that more women can be elevated to the c suite, and we're seeing it at many more LPGA tournaments.
Speaker 2: Today, we'll also speak baseball in the role of the starting pitcher in Today's Game with Hall of Fame pitcher and current Fox Sports analyst John Smoltz. But first, the sports world lost another legend this week.
Speaker 8: He say hey, sway at the plaid, say Hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the say hey kid. Baseball legend will Mays died this past week at the age of ninety three. A prolific player on and off the field, May's transcended what it meant to be a cultural icon at a complicated time. This week, in honor of juneteenth, Major League Baseball played a regular season game at Rickwood Field in Birmingham, Alabama, as a tribute to the Negro leagues. The game was played between the Saint Louis Cardinals and Willie May's former club, the San Francisco Giants. During the pregame on Fox Sports, another baseball legend, Reggie Jackson, spoke about what Mays meant to him and then emotionally recalled the racism and discrimination he experienced while playing in Alabama as a minor league player. Take a listen, Gush.
Speaker 8: I think Willie Mays meant to me the same thing that he meant to most people. He was a barishnikoff on the baseball field. I think that he had a lot of things to say about the game. But at the time when Willie playing, Hank Aaron was playing. They grew up in an era when you had a complain about the game or a complain about society, you suppressed it. Today's player doesn't do that. Coming back here is not easy. The racism that I played here. I walked into restaurants and they would point at me and said, you can't eat here. I would go to a hotel and they said, can't stay here. At the same time, had it not been for my white friends, had it not been for a white manager and Rudy Fingers and Duncan and Lee Myers, I would have never made it.
Speaker 2: That was baseball great Reggie Jackson during the Fox Sports tribute to the Negro League's pregame show. Audio courtesy again of Fox Sports Network, and it was a very powerful interview. We'll talk more baseball later in the show, but first we want to pivot to a conversation with another prominent name from the New York sports scene. For MDA All Star kerb Melo Anthony Knicks fans saw him mad MSG cheering on his old team during their playoff run, but Melo has been busy behind the scenes launching a new luxury wine called Ode to Soul. Anthony stopped by our studios here in New York recently along with this business partner Asani Swan to talk it through with our colleagues, remain Bostic and Scarlet through Let's listen in.
Speaker 1: I actually was just interested, like I just wanted to learn about the industry. I wanted to learn about what it takes to actually grow wine and what happens in the process. So I just started drinking the wine and then I realized, look, I need to stop spending so much money on consuming this wine and figure out what is the right business model in this industry. So it took me a little bit of time to kind of figure the industry out and see where I wanted to open the door.
Speaker 9: App well, you partnered with Asana and just looking at sort of the pedigree of this wine. I mean, this is like serious, like old world wine making you're doing. You just didn't slap his name on a label and just try to sell it here, just kind of explain exactly the region where these grapes are coming from and exactly the process that it went through.
Speaker 7: Yeah, great question. So I think a lot of people from then the seventh the state were a little shocks that we decided to partner with Robert Moondabi Winery, But ultimately we wanted to produce a premium quality wine and so we thought what better way to do that than with one of the best and most traditional wine companies in the world. And so we had the opportunity to partner with them and then get our grapes from the Tokalon region. The Tokalon region has a great deal of dried soil, and the way that the sun hits those grapes is able to develop what we get to taste in the bottle, and so that is one of the reasons why the price point is what it is, but also the process that we go through in creating what's in bottle is so specific and it's so specific to who we are as winemakers as well. And having the opportunity to have the guidance of John Viev, who's the chief wind maker at Robert Mondavi Winery, was certainly an experience in and of itself to learn from one of the masters in the space.
Speaker 5: I think everyone's curious Carmela to understand your level of involvement. Did you choose the blend?
Speaker 4: Are you a lead taster here, lead tasted?
Speaker 5: Did you zoo in on that pricing of what two hundred and seventy five dollars a bottle?
Speaker 1: So the pricing was out of my jurisdiction. I'm more of the you know, bring my bring my palate, you know, bring my my smell, bring my my innovation, you know to the room, whereas I just utilize, you know, the tokalon. It is what it is that that portion of nappid that venyard is is spectacular. So the reason I could just come in and just flow and just because it's already there, right and having somebody like John Viev alongside, that's who's on the ground every single day understanding what that soilo is, what that region is. For me, I could just bring my innovation into the industry. So yes, I'm heavily involved from the beginning all the way to the end where we all we always We also had a you know, a disagreement about one percent of patite verdot that we put actually put into wine.
Speaker 3: So so who won?
Speaker 5: Did you win?
Speaker 1: We all want, we all want it's a great wine.
Speaker 3: Well done, well done.
Speaker 5: You mentioned, of course that you were drinking wine and you thought, you know what, I have to stop spending money on this. But I'm curious about your time in New York and how that contributed to your education as a wine connoisseur. What was it about being in New York and being and having access to all this great wine that really deepened your passion for fine wine?
Speaker 1: What I said, I think you hit it right on the word, which was access. Right now, in New York, I had access to people and collectors and people that was drinking these crazy wines and these wine clubs. So I had access to all of those people. So I always wanted to know, Okay, if I can get into this circle, if I can appiece to this circle. If I can bring wine to the dinner and I can make this you know, specific circle be like, h this guy know what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: He's for real.
Speaker 1: Then I felt like I've proven myself. So it was just taking my time here in New York. And I will say New York actually helped me kind of broaden my horizon to think globally as far as the wine industry and the wine business goes.
Speaker 4: So I can talk a little bit about the marketing of this wine.
Speaker 9: Just a minute ago, we referenced the price point, and it is a higher price point. This is a premium product. Yes, how did you arrive that this was wherever it's going to be.
Speaker 7: The wonderful thing about our relationship with Constellation Brands and Robert Montdabby Winery specifically is that we were both bringing something very unique to the table. You know, we have this innovation of tradition with Robert Montdabby Winery, and we have this creativity and mellow and I having ability to reach people in a different way. I definitely will say that we have some of them most exciting experiences when it comes to releasing our wine. For sure, we have a good time. That's part of the wine drinking experience is what is the experience that we are bringing to the table. So for us, we really have leaned into the idea that when you drink our wine, we want it to be an experience, not just to taste it for the sake of having a glass, but what happens. And so for us, even in the naming of our wine, that was very important Ode to Soul.
Speaker 4: Talk about the naming of that wine here.
Speaker 9: I mean this is a reference to a very famous Haitian general, basically someone responsible for the Haitian Revolution. I mean, you're not Haitian, No, you're Puerto Rica, and I'm not sure what you are. How did you arrive on that? Why did you choose him?
Speaker 7: Well, you're speaking of Oath of Fidelity with Tucson. Oh yes, yes, So that was our twenty seventeen chateaun of depop which was exceptional and it was well received by the community.
Speaker 10: For sure.
Speaker 7: Ode to Soul was really a collaboration of all of us, both myself and Mellow as well as the Robert Mondavi team. We decided that we wanted this to be a wine that paid homage to history and the history that means something to you. For us specifically, it's around wine, it's around our native people, it's around our ancestors, and so we are paying homage to those that came before us to open the doors for people who were coming next for us. And I know, Mellow, you have a very specific point of view.
Speaker 2: It's right on right.
Speaker 1: It's that you know, I'm a music guy, right, I love music, So you hear old to soul and just it dances right, and so it's a lot of similarities from you know, the naming process is not something that we we actually just come up with a name, like we really put thought into it. We really want to create content around, we want to tell stories. And then I think one of the most important things is the fact that we're able to engage communities right to create these actual experiences where we don't have We don't go out there and try to sell wine in a traditional way, like we don't Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: It's like it's.
Speaker 1: We're doing a different because of the price point, but it's it's it's you know, what we do is we we allow our community to experience those experiences, right, and we create these taste things and we create these moments to where people come in and they want to be a part of the story and a part of the community, and then the wine comes after that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you have any friendly competition with some of the other players, I mean, d Wade's got his own wine, a few others.
Speaker 4: You just call them up and be like, yo, yours ain't seven No, no, you know, we.
Speaker 1: Don't have those type of conversations. But it's it's more so like, how could we create the experience like you you have yours, you have yours, you have yours. How could we create an experience where everybody is a part of this community and engaging and you get to sell your wine. I sell my wine, We get to taste wine, and we get to have a good time.
Speaker 2: That's former multi time NBA All Star and former New York Knicks player Carmelo Anthony, along with his business partner Asanni Swan, speaking with our Bloomberg TV colleagues Remain Bustic and Scarlet Foo about his new venture in luxury wine. Here that full conversation on demand now on the Bloomberg Talks podcast. Check it out and subscribe on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else should get your podcasts. Up next on the show, he says pitch limits are not helping starting pitchers. We'll get more on that with MLB Hall of Famer John Smokes. You're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio around the world. This is Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports show where we explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Michael Barr and along with my colleagues Scarlett fou and Damian Sasaur. We're only a few weeks out from the Midsummer Classic in baseball. This year's MLB All Star Game is July sixteenth at Globe Live Field in Arlington, Texas. Now that we're inching closer to the halfway point, we wanted to check in on the state of the sport with an old friend of the show, John Smoltz. He is an eight time MLB All Star himself and is now an analyst for Fox Sports. We spoke with him earlier this week before Willie May's passing for his thoughts on the season so far. And I'm looking at some teams that are just like kicking behind, like the Baltimore Orioles and the New York Yankees.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, Yeah, we have a a kind of a top heavy league right now, meaning there's five teams that separate themselves against the rest. That doesn't mean some of the other teams that are kind of floundering around five hundred can't make a move. But you've got the Dodgers and unfortunately they've had a couple injuries that don't work well for them. The Braves had the two worst injuries they could have. The Baltimore Oriols and the New York Yankees are head and shoulders above the rest. Philadelphia coming right in there as well. But I think what you're going to see in this year is baseball season is you've got a ton of teams kind of all grouped in the same category trying to fight for those remaining playoff spots, and the trade deadline is going to be huge to determine some of those team's success. And they're all got the Arizona Diamondbacks in their vision, meaning what Arizona did last year gives a lot of these teams hope that they could be this year's version of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 11: Last year well, John, I really like that you mentioned the injuries, you know, and we had a spade of them this year, including your Atlanta Braids losing Spencer Strider. We've Scheene Bieber's on the fence, I mean, most recently Mookie Betts and Anthony Rizzo. But talk to us a little bit about what your expectations are as we get into the second half. Can some of these players actually come back in time to make a difference.
Speaker 3: I think they can. The biggest problem in the game is injuries, and no one seems to want to address it. They just kind of look the other way and say it's part of the game. And unfortunately, for a lot of these pitchers, the ones you've mentioned are veterans, it gives them a better chance to come back. They know how to pitch, But young pitchers have no guarantee because they have not got in their stripes and learn how to pitch with the kind of arsenal that they have, So it's a little more of a crapshoot with them. It's a little more of a given. With a de Gram and a sures Aer and a coal and a Kershaw is going to come back somehow. In the second half of the Dodgers. So I think the biggest problem that a lot of these guys' face is they're going back to really, really good teams and they're going to want to contribute like they never left. It's going to take three to five starts for these guys to get well back into the groove and then hopefully there's no hiccups the rest of the way.
Speaker 5: In if we take a step back. I have just marveled at how much more I've enjoyed watching baseball these last two seasons. With the new rules that reduce the amount of time each game takes, there's now so much focus John on pitch count, and with the pitch clock, there is a lot more management around the starting pitcher's time on the mound. I'm curious to get your take on what this means for the starting pitcher's role as we head into the mid twenty twenties. Is the starting pitcher's role being diminished? I mean the San Francisco Giants last year often went to the bullpen after two or three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. This is the one area that won't change until there's a rule change, and it's common. They just can't enforce it right away because they just made two great, three great rule changes to do exactly what you just said. But the starting pitching has been trying to be eliminated by analytics for a long time, and then they realized about halfway through, oh shoot, this can't happen. We need starting pitching and there is none to be found. So that's what everybody's looking for. But that's what everything's breaking down. The reward system is why the players are chasing it, and I don't blame them, but the reward system is flawed. You're asking pitchers to throw as hard as they can, spin it as much as they can, and then, oh, by the way, limit what they do once they get near one hundred pitches. It's a broke system. It's a broke philosophy. You won't hear anybody talk about it. I've been talking about it for ten years. But until there's rule changes, nothing will change because philosophically they think this is the way to navigate a season. The end of the season, you'll have thirty to forty pitchers go through your roster per team. Think about that. That's impossible to sustain. So I hope that we get to the next phase of what the game is moving in a great place with great talent. These are some of the best pitching prospects and arms we have ever seen, but we don't get to see them long enough because of the injuries. That's what I have been burdened by. That's why I have been kind of screaming at the mountaintop. This doesn't work, it never will work, and we're asking people to just get brainwashed to think that this is the new normal.
Speaker 5: What kind of rule do you think would work and how do you think that will change way pitchers are compensated.
Speaker 3: Well, much like the rule changes that exist today, nobody was going to change the way they played baseball. Now they have to. You can't stay stuck in the last seven years and play the analytic kind of stratomatic baseball because the rule changes have enhanced you to change your philosophy. So when a rule change, similar to roster manipulation, you limit how many pitchers could be on a roster, You limit how many times they can come up and down. Those are ways to change philosophy of how you ask a starter to pitch more innings. I floated an idea a long time ago, and they thought I had fell off a tree and hit my head, because they said, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But there are no such things as dumb things anymore when you want to change the course of action, So I said, why don't you tie your starting pitcher to the DH And they're like, that's terrible. I said, no, it's a competitive advantage. Now. If you want your DH in the game longer, then your starter will go longer. If you want to pitch a guy two innings, then you got to pinch hit the rest of the game. Those are the kind of ideas you've got to think innovatively if you want to change the philosophy of how pitching is being managed, because right now, the same thing's going to happen in the rest of the time, because this is what they figured out. I have enough arms. They're not ready, but I have enough arms to fulfill a calendar year if some of my eyes get hurt or I'm kind of managing the innings.
Speaker 2: See now, and that brings me up to what you said to what happened Renaul Blanco, He already pitched a no hitter, and he was on his way on a second no hitter, and the Astros manager then pulled him after ninety four pitches. Now, and there are both sides to this argument here, It's like, all right, wait, first of all, he's throwing ninety four pitches, but he's on a no hitter. And I'm still unclear what side to fall on about this.
Speaker 3: John, Well, imagine how fixated your brain has been the last ten years about pitch count. There's no scientific evidence to pitch counts, none, But we think a guy's going to break once he gets to one hundred. I've watched games with people and they go, oh my gosh, he's got ninety eight pitches. I said, don't worry, he's not going to break. Like we think that they have come up with a number that universally transformed a pitcher into an ridge injury risk. Here's the problem with that. Not everybody's the same. You could have a clean game, clean mechanics, and not be in any stress. That number is not relevant to a guy who's getting out of a jam, pitching in a lot of trouble, and throwing with bad mechanics. I would argue that the pitch count single handedly has hurt the game in the way that we manage it and the way that they have these golden rules. See again, analytics came into the game not almost guarantee them that they would put players in the best place to be successful and keep them healthy. Well, only half of that's been true, and so you never talk about keeping them healthy because they know that doesn't work. So when they play it safe and they're rewarding a pitcher to not throw one hundred or that is the most ridiculous line of thinking because if it was working, I would never say a work. If all of a sudden the injuries got cut in half because we monitored the pitch count, then I'd say, wow, that's pretty cool. But it's not working, and it doesn't. So that's an artificial number that's been thrown out there that you can't get fired by and you can't get critiqued by if you adhere to it. So just watch the next pitcher that throws one hundred and fifteen or one hundred and twenty pitches. If we get there, yeah, they're gonna push him back, save us. Like They're going to do so many things because they feel like they have to based on like I said, what everybody believes is one hundred pitches and if you go north to that, you're running the risk of trouble. Yet yet come postseason, all rules are gone.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, at the worst time, the most risk time of the year, all those rules go out the window. And I kind of somehow chuckle, thinking, oh, really that this time of the year. Now we don't have any handcuffs put on anybody. So it's pretty interesting how it plays out.
Speaker 11: Well, John, I'd love to spend all day talking about Major League Baseball with you, but I'm gonna steal a phrase from my colleague Michael bar golf golf, golf, golf, golf, golf, golf. And you know, we have the I mean the American Century Championship coming up. I mean our audience knows how involved in that you are. I mean, my goodness, Steph Kerry with the Steph Curry, sorry, with the walk off eagle putt netpik fashion last year. What are your chances this year, mister Smolts, Are we going.
Speaker 3: To take it? Yeah? I'm trending in the right direction.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: In the two tournaments this year, I finished sixth at finished second. I lost by one to Marty Fish in Dallas. I made a bow to myself that would never happen I had. I had a one shot lead going into that hole and look lost. So it's a learning experience and if I live or learned how to put those Tahoe greens, watch out. And that's what my mindset is. It's the greatest tournament we have. It's an absolute blast. I've raised so much money for great charities, and there's a collection of celebrities that is unique to any other time of the world, in any other setting. And it's the perfect setting for July. The weather's great, the place night here.
Speaker 11: I mean Southy, I mean John, whit do you stay? Do you stay on somebody's boat? I mean, what would tell you to stay? And when you're out there, we.
Speaker 3: Stay in a two bedroom condo down by all where the boats are. It's an absolute great set up for me and my wife and Greg Olsen, my former catcher. He's caddying for me and his wife. We have an absolute blast. The beauty of this year. I'll be out there all week because the All Star Game, luckily for me, is after Tahoe. Normally it's right during the middle of Tahoe and I come flying in by the seat of my pants on Thursday and try to remember how to play golf. So this is going to be a fun week.
Speaker 5: You have played in ten of these events, and you've made the cut in nine of them, and there have been a lot of questions about whether you could turn professional. Where do you stand on that right now, especially with the whole Live Versus PGA saga and drama that's taking place.
Speaker 3: My biggest thing is I love competition and I love competing. For the US Senior Open, I missed the Open by one shot. I almost qualified again. I've got brand new hips. I'm excited about getting physically in shape again. I'll be honest, the last five years have been miserable for me. I've been trying to fake it and get through it. But I finally bit the bullet. This will be the first golf tournament at Tahoe. I'll have two new hips that walking five and a half hours won't matter as far as the professional ranks. I still want to qualify for things I want to try. But I'm fifty seven, and as long as I can stay healthy, I love competition and I love competing. Nothing I will ever do will be full time because I have a full time job with Fox and they've been great allowing me to play in these selected events. So I have kind of the best of both worlds and I'm very blessed to be able.
Speaker 1: To do what I do.
Speaker 2: That's eight time MLB All Star pitcher and now Fox Sports analyst John Smoltz. If you missed any of that conversation, take a listen now on the Bloomberg Business of Sports podcast. Find it on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts up. Next, we turn to the world of women's golf and a firm that's been helping to elevate it. You're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio around the world.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports show, but we explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Michael Barr along with my colleague Scarlett Foo and Damien Sassaur. Golf golf, golf, golf, golf, Yes, we have it right here, and we have Stacy Lewis with the LPGA Tour and Paul Knopp, the CEO of KPMG. Thank you so much, first of all for joining us on the Bloomberg Business of Sports. We appreciate which to be here.
Speaker 10: Yes, thank you for having us.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start. First of all, I want to talk about the status of golf. I want to talk about where women's golf is today. Thank goodness, it is. It's gaining steam every year, and eventually the broadcasting rights are going to be going through the roof because it is an exciting product.
Speaker 10: It is it is, and we're in a great spot as a tour. You know, purses are as high as they've ever been, and you know, we're just we're continuing to push, push for higher persons, more exposure for all the players. But we're in a really great spot right now.
Speaker 5: I want to bring Paul into this conversation because Paul, you and Stacy have kind of been working together for a while now, and at a KPMG kind event more than ten years ago, it was Stacy who planted the seed for what became the KPMG Women's PGA Championship. Can you tell us a story of how that came together?
Speaker 6: Sure, we have been a sponsor of Stacy since twenty twelve and It was in twenty twelve that Stacey started not only being our brand ambassador, but she also started playing with clients at events and are then chair and CEO John V. Meyer was at one of those events where he heard Stacy talking about out the need to elevate women's golf to ensure that they're playing on better courses, iconic courses, courses where men played major championships, and a real need to ensure the purses increase over time. And John took note of that when she said that, and that really did plant the seed for the title sponsorship of a women's major event, which we started sponsoring in twenty fifteen with a KPMG Women's PGA Championship. We feel like, you know, over that course of that time, we've been a real catalyst for change. In twenty fifteen, it was only two point twenty five million. Wow, so it's increased three hundred and sixty percent. And the winners share that perse has increased from three hundred and thirty seven thousand to one point five six million, the same three hundred and sixty percent. And at the same time, you know, the women the last ten years that we've been sponsoring this tournament have played on these iconic courses where men have played majors, so really excited about that kind of change over the course of the last ten years.
Speaker 2: Now, Paul, you got to help an old man here, because KPMG is introducing new technology to help elevate women's golf further. My technology is the roadary phone. So can you explain what your technology G is and how it's helping the game.
Speaker 6: Yes, and that's been an evolution too. So three years ago we put in place something called KPMG Performance Insights, and that was really meant to give the women on the LPGA Tour many of the same technology benefits, data and benefits that the men had on the PGA Tour. Now we have elevated that immensely starting this year in this tournament with enhancing KPMG Performance Insights. What we do for a living at KPMG we create solutions to companies' most complex technology problems and data analytic problems. And with respect to the enhancements this year, we have integrated, along with the partnership with the PGA of America and T Mobile technology to allow real time shot data for every shot, approximately twenty four thousand shots in the tournament. That will be measured during real time during the course of the tournament, so that it allows several things to happen. One and most importantly, it allows the women on the LPGA Tour to have real time data to diagnose their game, understand their game, improve their game. You can imagine somebody finishes their around, they have every shot capture, they have knowledge.
Speaker 2: About what they did.
Speaker 6: If they have a particular issue with their game during the course of the day, they can go work on that with that real time data. There's also another aspect to what we've done this here too, and that is integrated artificial intelligence into KPMG Performance Insights, and that will be used by the media by the booth to understand the odds around the players making the cut, around finishing the top five, top twenty, maybe even winning the ornament. So there's a couple of real important enhancements this year. There's also going to be something this year called KPMG champ Cast, which is available through the app, the PGA app that will allow fans to follow their favorite players and watch their shots they're tracing in their shots, understand how their players are performing during the course of the day.
Speaker 11: So talk to us a little bit about, you know, the role that KPMG plays with you know, ladies golf. I mean, we know that in addition to the fact that you were the first marctor to pay an LPGA player Stacy in this case while on maternity to leave, you're also very involved in women's the women's leadership some and I believe Geena Davis is going to be the keynote at that event at this year's major. Talk to us a little bit about KPMG, your role as a sponsor and your role with women's golf.
Speaker 6: Sure, so I talked about the original vision for this event, and the vision really has three pillars. One is absolutely first and foremost, the Women's PGA Championships. The second is we decided we wanted to able to elevate women both on and off the course, so we put in place KPMG Women's Leadership Summit, which happens the day before the tournament begins, and that is women that are one or two steps from the c suite, nominated by the CEOs of their organizations, come to listen to leaders from business, politics, media, entertainment. It's leadership development and during the course of the day they hear from many different speakers, and we talk about being a catalyst for change at KPMG. When we started this in twenty fifteen, this was the only women's leadership conference affiliated with a LPGA tournament that Catalyst has allowed. For now there are twenty women's leadership conferences affiliated with LPGA tour events. So we feel really great about bringing about more change so that more women can be elevated to the c suite, and we're seeing it at many more LPGA tournaments today. The third dimension, just real quickly, is the net proceeds of the KPMG Women's PGA Championship and the Summit go to sponsoring the Future Leaders Program young mostly people of women of color in high school, getting college scholarships mentorships. So we feel really great about those three dimensions of this experience.
Speaker 11: Well, Paul, I'll tell you you know, there's one person who won't be speaking, and that's our own Bloomberg TV anchor, Scarlett Foo and she should be because she's just wonderful. Now I'm just kidding, but let me ask you this, I mean, let me sift it over to you.
Speaker 2: Stacy.
Speaker 11: I want to ask you about the soul I'm cup, I mean, your captain of the team for the second year in a row. I think it's switched to an even year now. Talk to us a little bit about I think it's in September. I think it's in Virginia. Talk to us a little bit about your prep and the lead up to that event. What does it take to be a captain of that team, and what's going to go into your criteria for deciding who's going to be on it.
Speaker 10: It's another full time job. It's like having about fifteen kids. You know, you're kind of worried about their games. You're watching their games, how they're playing, but you're always also kind of trying to know what's going on off the golf course, you know, because it affects play quite a bit, So kind of just knowing what's going on in their lives and how they're playing. But then behind the scenes where we're planning, you know, what clothes they're wearing, what the bags look like, what the schedule is going to be for the week, what the menus are going to look like. So as captain, you get to you literally decide everything. So so I've really really enjoyed it, and you know, we're we're kind of getting to the crunch stage now where we're really starting to track who's going to make the team, and KPMG's helped me out with that with access to you know, the performance insights and using data to help predict who's going to make the team and also potential pairings and things like that.
Speaker 5: Stacey, I want to follow up and kind of take a big step back for a moment and just talk a little bit about the state of golf right now. There is an uneasy truce right now between the PGA and Live Golf, and I know the LPGA is separate from what's happening between PGA and Live, but what has it done for the sport? For you, as someone who's kind of observing all of this, is it good for the sport?
Speaker 10: You know, it's it's honestly, from our perspective, it's been hard to watch because I think it's put a negative connotation on golf. And from the women's side, you know, we've had no part of it, so so it's been hard to watch. And it's and from our side too, it's hard to watch these persons just continue to go up on the men's side and while we're doing great over here. I mean, the amount of money they're making now is just is insane. So it's definitely been hard from our perspective, but I do think they seem to be getting closer to where we can get back to, you know, to just playing golf and not being at odds with each other and you know, making it about the sport and about the athletes and the great players that they are instead of, you know, instead of all this money that they're making.
Speaker 5: If the Saudis come in and would want to invest in the LPGA or partner up with the LPGA as a player, what what? What's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 10: You know, personally, I'd be a little bit torn on it, you know, I do. I do think there there is a way, though, to make it work. I think there would have to be some stipulations. You know, we'd have to really find a way to advance women, because that's what our tours about were about advancing women and giving women opportunities not only to play golf, but you know, to better their careers and their lives. And so there'd have to be a lot of stipulations I believe around that. And obviously that hasn't happened yet, so because we're not there, but I do think, you know, at some point it's probably is probably going to happen.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you, Stacy, probably the Caitlin Clark impact on women's sports, good question, has just been phenomenal, and I would like to ask, how do you think the impact has been for women's golfing?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 10: As a mom of a daughter, I think it's it's one of the most amazing things I've seen to see to be able to turn the TV on for my daughter and she can see women playing sports, playing basketball, playing softball, playing golf. You know, that's something that I didn't have when I was a kid, and so just that we're starting to have that, having women's sports more easily accessible on the ability to watch them, I just I think it's tremendous and I think it shows what when you get a TV partner like that to kind of step up and say, hey, we may lose money for a year or two, but we're going to step up and we're going to figure this out, and we're going to figure out a way to grow your sport, and we're going to make money on the back end of this. But we may lose money in the beginning, and I think it's just been tremendous to watch that happen, and I think it's a model for other sports and how we can continue to push forward. You know, we need to do a better job of talking each other up and talking about how good the other players were competed against our because that's what helps grow our sport.
Speaker 2: Our Thanks to both Stacy Lewis and Paul could Not for joining us. Paul is chair and CEO at KPMG, which is celebrating its tenth anniversary of the KPMG It's PGA Championship, and Stacy Lewis is the two time major champion, winning LDPGA Pro. This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports Show. We are here each and every week at the same time for my colleagues Scarlett Fu and Damian Sassewer. I'm Michael Barr. Tune in again next week for the latest on the stories moving big old money in the world of sports. You're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports Bloomberg Radio round the world. Stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.