Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. An SVU podcast. I'm Leeza Trigger and.
Speaker 1: I as always am Cara Clank and this podcast is SVU Recaps.
Speaker 5: It is true crime, deep dives.
Speaker 1: It is interviews with celebs and other interesting people. But we have a great guest today, but before that, we catch up on what's going on in the world, in our world, in whatever we want to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'm floating on air, not only because I did a heated rivalry comedy show last night that you recommended me for.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I guess I was the first person booked five months ago. You know, I literally believe it hadn't happened yet. She approached me like, oh no, she told me the idea, and I go, you have to get Lisa like she's She's like, you have to do yeah, and she was like, can you put me in touch or whatever? So I was yes, no, So thank you for that. But also just this time of year, you don't get it as much. You get it from your past maybe, but like it's just so much better and easier to get dressed when it's warm out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just like you.
Speaker 2: Don't actually have to think about it because we've also had this like fucked up like it's fifty, then it's seventy, then it's not, and now it's warm. I don't want to speak too soon, but it's just like I don't need a jacket.
Speaker 5: I can wear a spaghetti strap.
Speaker 1: Let's go. It's just I feel pumped. I feel yeah, I love that. I love I mean, there's nothing like it. Like right after I moved to LA, I went back to New York to write on.
Speaker 5: A pilot for a month in June.
Speaker 1: But like my husband came to visit me for like a week and it was mid mid it was earlier mid June.
Speaker 5: And I was like, did we make a mistake.
Speaker 1: It's so magical here right now, Like I just love New York in like the spring, early summer before it gets and I don't even mind the heat, so I'm not even I don't either.
Speaker 2: It's going to be eighty today, but I'm wearing kind of a backless spaghetti strap dress.
Speaker 1: Got to float on down. No Shires are worried. It's such a pack animal in New York. You have to carry everything with you all day if you're going to be out for the day, and you just don't have that as much when you're like I'm wearing a summer dress and I'm out, you know, like and I could be out from eight in the morning until three in the morning, you know, with just a little toe.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, so I did get a Connor story magazine. It's called Behind the Blinds. I follow the news stands now in New York. It has to help posts and I went run in. I want to know who's buying these magazines normally, Like so I go to this place. I haven't heard of any of these magazines, and it's like, well, I am not in the niche interests. So like, I understand if there's like people that are into these fashion things, photographers, like there's a whole ecosystem. But is it just kids of rich parents putting on magazines for each other? Like what is this? Now that I'm buying these magazines, I've never heard of.
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: And there one from the Netherlands is coming, So I'm on a wait list for that, like I'm in it now, but like I get the architects.
Speaker 5: Are buying some what who are or even when.
Speaker 2: We watch Real Housewives and women are on the cover of these random magazines, Yes.
Speaker 5: What are? People are Italian Show or something like that.
Speaker 1: It was called like Italian Show and the hampton Not the cover of Italian Show, I mean the Hampton's magazine. There's always local magazines, right, Like Hampton's magazine is a magazine. People reading the Hampton's. Like when I was growing up, there was one that was like Darienn Nucanan and Rowaytan or something like that was like for three towns, you know what I mean? Like there are these little tiny magazines, but to be in a newsstand in New York City people must be this isn't but this isn't just a jet.
Speaker 2: This is like a SOHO internationally. These are my three of us specific right, this is a magazine store, but this is how crazy it is. So then my friend, who lives an upstate like just I would say not even a week later, messaged me going, hey, I kind of want the behind the blinds. I feel left out, and I go I'll go get it. I'm like, nothing gets me out of bed more. I love getting steps in, so I just start rushing. And when I showed up all the displays where these magazines came back, only two vogues left of like I would say one hundred. All the Hudson Wonderlands were gone and they were taking down Behind the Blinds.
Speaker 5: There was maybe twenty left.
Speaker 2: So within a week they sold out multiple display windows of this store. Like, so the magazine is something we haven't seen in forever. But but you know, when I went to get that other magazine, it's like yeah, like so they're doing a commotion, but like, yeah, I'm so curious if anyone's listening that works in this kind of rom com universe.
Speaker 1: Oh but it was so funny behind the Blinds magazine.
Speaker 5: So tell me about it.
Speaker 1: It's it's got one hundred fifty seven thousand followers.
Speaker 5: Online, so do a lot online. And then the I mean.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow photo being the cover, it's really and you know, I'm not even attracted to him, but that's like a really good cover. There's two covers. I got the exclusive. The guy could have lied to my face. He goes, this cover is only in New York. I go, We'll take it.
Speaker 5: I mean they're.
Speaker 1: There, they have France and worldwide distribution as so it feels like but the dot com what's that called?
Speaker 5: The extension on the website is dot b E?
Speaker 3: What is that? What is dot b E?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but you belt like the way you're researching right now, it looks like a close up of a movie of like the Net by Sandra Bullock, like you were in trying to get behind it, getting the secrets, getting behind it.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to go behind the blinds on behind the blinds.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. So Belgium there in Belgium a little bit.
Speaker 5: I mean that's where their website is, That's where their website is.
Speaker 2: And yeah, maybe I'm being too America focused and this is like this is a huge magazine in France and I just don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: When you go to the website, it's everything's in English. But maybe that's because of where I am. I don't know, but like it's very this is very stylized. This is very you know.
Speaker 2: No, it's gorgeous and the Wonderland I bought, like the photos are gorgeous, and what I loved about the.
Speaker 5: Wonderland magazine with Hudson.
Speaker 2: Usually you have to like dig for the cover piece because they want you to look at everything. And they just had him first. Yeah, it was like just we know what you're here for. And so I really appreciated that in the magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, usually they make you page because they've got ads to sell, right, I know, Well, I'm spending thirty dollars a magazine for that one, and I spent twenty eight.
Speaker 5: Dollars on shipping.
Speaker 2: It was like twenty five for the magazine, twenty for shipping for that Wonderland that I got. So that's why with these news stands, you know, it's like it's better. And now that I'm in with them, I'm gonna well, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I'm glad you're getting it. I'm glad you're keeping these newsstands alive. I'm sure they're happy. I mean, it feels like Beatlemania or something with this.
Speaker 2: It is because I was standing outside because obviously I was debating getting the second cover or not so so standing outside the store for another ten to fifteen minutes and girls are going in and out, in and out. The girls are going in and out. I could have had a little bouncer clicker. I could have been I could have been doing the.
Speaker 1: Doors counting to make sure the capacity is up to code.
Speaker 2: And then you know, I hit up a bookstore. Okay, so I did finish a book. I would like to say. You said people were interested in my romance life.
Speaker 5: Which books? You have to name the titles? Yeah, so I finished.
Speaker 1: Kat Sebastian, who's doing the historical gay called after Hours at Dooryard Books. I wish the name was different. I'm sure there's a reason for that name of the bookstore. Because I can't. I have to look at it still like I cannot run the title. I loved it. I think she actually had to self publish this one, honestly, because it's just she owns it, like in the book when I looked, but it was beautiful.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a nineteen sixty eight New York I used bookstore. Vietnam War is happening, you know, like FBI folk music. It's just like a lot, and it's so good and I love these characters so much, and yeah, I was like obsessed.
Speaker 1: So now I have like eight book I have like so many books in my apartment. We'll see which one I'll pick up. You got a list. I just finished a book this morning. Yeah, yesteryear.
Speaker 5: But you guys have to join the Patreon if you want to hear me.
Speaker 1: Talk about it. We're going to wow a real tease, a real tea. This was the biggest sweet teased.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's the that's holding it over, holding it hostage, holding my book opinions hostage, but for free. I will tell you what I thought about The Sheep Detectives, which is a movie I saw a Memorial Day. It's really cute. I did get teary a couple of times. The kids were absolutely confused the whole fucking time.
Speaker 5: I took four kids to this movie by myself.
Speaker 1: We met up with three other kids, and so there were a ton of kids. They were like, because you know, it's about a murder. Hugh Jackman gets murdered at the beginning, not like in a bloody way, but he is dead, and kids, it's really big on the poster. Yeah, but it's in the preview, so I don't feel like I'm giving anything over.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but like, I can't believe they make him so big and then he's dead right away.
Speaker 1: He is, But I mean, he comes back through flashbacks and through he also comes back through like you know, they have like dreams where they're talking to him and stuff. But the sheep are voiced by all these great it's it's the sheep detectives. Of course, I'm gonna let oh my god, it just yeah clicked Julia, Luis Dreyfus and Brian like two of the main sheep, and like, but the kids were it's basically knives out for kids. It's like there's a thing and you and you go through this like cute little town and everybody's like like kind of a suspect and all these people had issues with the guy who died. And and then you know who is the main character in it. I'm not a succession person, but cousin Greg is like the star of the movie.
Speaker 5: Okay, good friend.
Speaker 1: He's like but he has got a British accent. He's doing a British accent. Cool, so he's talking like he's the like bumbling police officer trying to fit it all together. And then another main character is Molly Gordon of theater Camp and Bear Fame. Wait, do you know about Drew Ski. Yes, I'm sure you've heard of him obviously.
Speaker 2: Did you watch his short that he put out online about black British actors doing like slave and like trauma black American parts. No, the he's a genius. He's like truly a genius of our time.
Speaker 1: The only Drewski stuff I have taken in is his Erica Kirk videos, which I love.
Speaker 5: He's like a genius, Like he's truly.
Speaker 2: Like I got the production value and what he did in this video because I was like familiar with the hits and popular and then I saw this and I was like, oh, this is like going to go down in history.
Speaker 5: That's how I felt.
Speaker 2: So if you guys haven't seen the like him playing the British actor and like just the production that the production alone for like something to put online.
Speaker 5: I just was so impressed.
Speaker 1: Well, he's been around, he's, like, I think, a big YouTube guy.
Speaker 5: So he's got the money for the production, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's very successful and famous. I'm just an older woman. Yeah, I'm just needing him.
Speaker 1: I had heard of him only vaguely through like you know, I wrote for the Streamy Awards, Like I heard of him vaguely until the Erica Kirk and then I was like I like this guy.
Speaker 5: I'm down with Drew Ski. I'm sure he's done something.
Speaker 1: Bad, but no, I think he's like I think, I think he's like cool and se she got so upset about it and was like, this man doing white face.
Speaker 3: Oh whatever, go fuck yourselves.
Speaker 5: I'm so annoyed.
Speaker 1: I love I love when somebody gets under their skin. It's the best. Okay, So the Heated Rivalry show, it was so fun. Yeah, it was really fun. My friend Gail came and she's like as obsessed as I am.
Speaker 5: What was a topic? Okay? Yeah, So because like everybody that.
Speaker 1: Does the show kind of like does like a bit or like a presentation right on, like yes, yes, yes, So my cover looked like this, and it's Heated Rivalry, a tale of an obsession and a self imposed intervention. Okay, okay, so you see what it says photo saft What is it a picture of?
Speaker 5: Oh? It's like a butt against a butt?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: So my friend took a screenshot of that video and sent it to me and then I saved it, and then I just thought it was funny the photosh photos. Can you can you sund that to me so I can put it on the stories with you on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually will set you no pressure to look at it, but I will send you and Casey the whole PowerPoint and you, I think we deserve it at this time we've been don't even care enough. I'd like to see it, and I think you guys are smart enough to put it together without context. But yeah, that was the cover and I had fun. It was people that really got me, and I got like some really big reactions and laughs and excitement, and then sometimes it was dead silent in a way. That was the point of the presentation was public shame, you know. But I think everyone really liked that. I have bought heated Rivalry Shane and Ilia collection of scented candles, and I am allergic to fragrance and cannot light them.
Speaker 5: So people really like that. But you can't even like candles that are fragranced.
Speaker 2: Some upen some are lighter, so they can't like I have some that are lighter, like I know by the smells what I can handle, and then some I power through anyways, but my eyeshuts, like my right eye shuts, and I just don't feel it and I get stuffed, like it's just like an eye thing because one time I was at my house after my cleaning lady was here and I wasn't feeling but I couldn't put it together, and I was like, the bitch, let my tailor swift candle and so like I had to put the lid on it. But I like this other one that's more clean scenting, like it's fragrance mixed three. So it's like you don't ever really know, and I'm not going to deep dive ingredients, but by the smells, I can tell what will be.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a banana candle I can handle, but yeah, okay, got it?
Speaker 3: Got it? The eyes? That makes sense.
Speaker 5: The eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just feels like when I walk into Sephora, like it's just like so overwhelming with scent that I just my eyes begin to kind of shut.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it was cool to be in a room where everyone was obsessed and excited and people gave bracelets. And then I brought an extra V Man magazine because I bought I think four when I got them, and.
Speaker 1: Someone donated to the food bank to get it. That was my kind of fun idea. I think I saw that. That's yeah, I was really excited about that. I always love to do a tie in. Well, but I'm dying to hear about the theater experience you had recently too.
Speaker 3: I move off of heated rivalry.
Speaker 2: But no, so everyone knows I was invested in this junior high production of Shrek junior at in my neighborhood.
Speaker 5: She's an investor in the place.
Speaker 1: She's going to see if they can take it to Broadway.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: No, but Vinny, the guy who is the other regular at my coffee shop, who how I got and like knew about any of this, and a.
Speaker 5: Bunch of the coffee shop people came.
Speaker 1: It's just really cute, Like I've really cultivated a cutie like community. But and I didn't cultivate it. I joined it after showing up every day for two years.
Speaker 2: But and now I just have the I've never been off the road this much, you know, Like it is just like, oh my god, cool. I've just never had such stability in my life ever, even staying at an apartment like that, Like it just feels very peaceful. So my friend Julia came to meet me, and so Vinnie did the set and the set was gorgeous. We did sit next to three really bad kids. Julia said, they weren't that bad, but I just feel like they were talking. They were so annoying to me. Everyone was shushing them. One person said, shut the fuck out, like everyone shushed. Oh, the principal was so hot at the school, Like the principle is the most fuckable principle I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 5: I don't it was. It was cool.
Speaker 2: The kids were incredible, so cutey cutie. It was like such a cute show. I would say. The standouts for me were Pinocchio, Donkey, and Fiona, the girl with the that was the drag.
Speaker 5: A lot of them played different parts, gorgeous voices.
Speaker 2: Some of them are stars, and he's actually gonna do free headshots for them because you know, you realize most child actors are rich kids, you know, so so he's gonna give them all free headshots. And then he had friends come in and tape it all. So then they have like these reels and they were really awesome, and then some it's like, well, you know, kids are shy or they are looking around, you know there. It's just it was a really wholesome, amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it.
Speaker 1: My friend's kid just was in it in like Connecticut, but I just like, I've never seen Shrek the musical.
Speaker 5: And then suddenly all middle schools across the.
Speaker 2: Nation are, well, it's Shrek Junior, so it is condensed in the song.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. Four Quad was so funny.
Speaker 1: I mean they were great for you, like Shrek was awesome, Like it was awesome, but you know with schools they have to add random parts, so it's like the priest has a line here, you know, everyone's everyone's around and double dip it.
Speaker 5: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: But then we went to a place to get dinner after and have some drinks. Then other friends were in the neighborhood. Then I'm at a bar. Then my spot's not till twelve forty five. Next thing you know, it's five am. I have to be up by eleven for my Russian. Then you know, I was interviewing a batgam in person for something and then I puked and then it was truly the worst hangover of my life that I've never I would say top five from the Shrek after party.
Speaker 5: Wow yeah.
Speaker 2: And I just like sat at the bar with a manager and a bartender from the cellar, Like it wasn't like I went dancing all night, like truly.
Speaker 3: The manager was like, okay, bye, guys, I've locked it up.
Speaker 2: Like it was psychotic, like just the three of us sat at an empty bar. I don't even know if music was playing till five in the morning. And then I had so many tasks and I go, I didn't even play this, and my Russian teacher goes, yeah, you seem to say that a lot, and I was like, okay.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 1: I go, I don't have cause there are nights where you're like, oh, I'm getting lit tonight, or like we're going out, and I don't. I never feel like I get as drunk those nights as the ones where I'm like, oh my god, it's like Jake Claire, oh my god, Yeah, let's totally go here. Let's have a few drinks, and then they all go home, and then I still have a show at one in the morning, and then you know, I did get in a fight with someone about mom Donnie.
Speaker 5: We'll see, it doesn't even matter. I don't care. I don't care. I love our mayor.
Speaker 1: But my legs were shaking, Kara, like my legs were shaking. I was on FaceTime with friends as I was puking. I had them on mute, like I puked for hours. I can't believe I held it together for the backgammon guy because he's one of the only one hundred and fifty grand masters in the world. Like, honestly, I am impressed with myself. It's like when you find out a picture was blacked out and did a no hit, like the way I talked to this backgammon guy.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then immediately they they they had the producers had to talk to him and I go, you guys, I really got to run to another meeting.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I had another twenty minutes, but I had to puke. I had to puke, I would say. Even then after the FaceTime, I showered, I had Chipotle, I slept. Then our friend Liby came over and she brought me like ginger Ale and snat like she was a sweet angel. Then I read a little bit before I had shows. I had three shows then I but I had to I got another.
Speaker 1: I got hung over again, like at like ten pm, I got more headache and more nauseous, like it happened again. And then I performed and I did I have Yeah, yeah, wow, Wow, that was.
Speaker 5: A long story.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but like and it all started just from Shrek Junior because we had a beer before.
Speaker 1: So it's like we grabbed a beer. Oh yeah, you can't go intostrect Junior totally sober. Come on, you gotta lo you gotta lu bappa a little bit for Shrek Junior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, I couldn't brush my teeth or I would have got like I like, I didn't brush my teeth till the evening.
Speaker 5: I couldn't have handled it.
Speaker 3: I mean, damn, I'm like.
Speaker 1: The closest I have is I was drinking publicly at a park when my kids played on Friday afternoon.
Speaker 5: And then I was at soul Cycle Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know how I do it, and I don't know. I don't either.
Speaker 1: I don't feel good, if you want to know, I don't feel great.
Speaker 5: It's not yet I'm an overall great result.
Speaker 2: No, I've had a chronic cough. I've been I have like a fucking inhaler. Now I have to do nasal sprays. Ask the medicine for a full month. She's like, you have to stop smoking weed. I'm gonna light something right now, Like I I don't feel physically great, but I push it. I'm gonna walk the bridge to my friend's house after we record today.
Speaker 5: She just yeah, breathe in some small that's a great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do it?
Speaker 5: You brought up a smog? How dareio?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: We are the city of smog.
Speaker 2: Of course there's smog, but the view of New York City as you walk the bridge magic.
Speaker 5: It's magic. Yeah, it's great. We've been getting some what are people?
Speaker 1: No, We've been getting some messages from people who are going to see the play that Marishka's in the every Brilliance. Okay, I saw a clip it looked cringe. I'm scared. I don't know. Can people please tell us how it is? People are saying it's good.
Speaker 5: Just watching her. I don't know. It was mute. I watched it on mute.
Speaker 2: It's just there's certain things that make me uncomfortable, like Connor's story doing clowning, Like I can't, I have to avert my eyes. There's just like certain things, you know, like when Marishka goes you know, like I'm so funny, I'm like I can't like just or like when Taylor. There's just there's things that make me uncomfortable. But maybe I should do clowning and stop judging people and be more comfortable in my own skin.
Speaker 1: So wait, Marishka is gonna be in it until July. I have time, and then Tracy Ellis Ross is gonna do it.
Speaker 5: I will see it. I will.
Speaker 3: I have to see it. I'm lucky I'm in New York. I get to see.
Speaker 1: Unless I went on like closing night or something. Maybe I'll see if I can get to care because I'm not going to be there. Casey, I'm going to send it to your Gmail. See you guys. So it's easier because I did it on Google slides perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sending it to you because maybe you can have a report back on at our post war notes at the mortam. Oh but the brace yeah, the bracelets I was given fucking fuck San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Love that m you don't even get it.
Speaker 2: And then I'm just a bellboy, which you seem like you have a blank face on that as well. They're both heat to rivalry references that are like pretty I saw it one time, I saw it one Casey's answer said, do you think I'm more annoying than Marvel people.
Speaker 3: Do you think I've crossed over? Am I a Marvel person?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: What's happened?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, I wouldn't say, you're I think. I think there's culture with Here to Revelry. I think it has value. I think it's art, and I don't think. I don't find it as I mean, I find it annoying in that it gets brought up every episode, but it's not I don't find it like.
Speaker 2: There have been episodes where I don't bring it up except to say I haven't.
Speaker 5: Brought it up.
Speaker 6: That's true, but no, I I try to push the limits. I understand being obsessed with Here to Drivelry more than Marvel is what I would say.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, that's all I needed to hear. And you want to add to the intro. I mean, this has been a real I know that's the thing up here.
Speaker 3: I've went.
Speaker 1: I saw sheep detectives and I drank in a park in front of my children that I don't have any I don't have any uh crazy puking and then talking to a grand master of backgammon story this week. I mean, no, I ran in some weeks, but I have them some weeks I don't.
Speaker 2: I ran into Tommy Brennan, who you know, is off scenal, which is always like you see, I mean, everyone loves being on sl whatever, but like you see them being so happy to be back at the cellar and doing comedy again.
Speaker 5: That schedule is so.
Speaker 2: Grueling, you know, like the POSTESSNL summer vibe. When you see them, they are just they're so happy. There's just he did a little bit more freedom.
Speaker 1: You know. He did my show a couple of weeks ago, and I don't know anything about him. I was like, he's this new guy on SNL. I've never seen him before. He was so funny. His stand up was so funny. He like absolutely crushed at the show. And then he made a little video for my friend's kid, who is obsessed with SNL and it was his birthday.
Speaker 2: He's such a nice guy. Well, he has six sisters. He is a theater kid. He's like a theater boy. Yeah, and he just I think is a great guy, works hard, is a good stand up and I hope much keep continued success yeah on SNL as well.
Speaker 1: But so I ran into him. So we're talking and I'm like, oh, I have to do. This is before this is in the midst of the drinking. I think maybe the day after whatever.
Speaker 2: So I'm like explaining all the it's like post hangover maybe, but he goes, Honestly, you're He's like, I've never met someone that's constantly working so hard for a podcast.
Speaker 5: He's like, every time I run.
Speaker 2: Into you, you're panicking about a murder. You have to read like I've He's like, every time I see you, you're doing the most research I've ever seen anybody do for a podcast. Like, yeah, it's true because for this other one, I've set up Etsy shops there, I've talked to vending machine people, I'm doing online surveys, I'm doing all these side gigs.
Speaker 1: I'm interviewing pet influencers. I don't even know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really need to.
Speaker 1: Say it's just for our listeners. This she's talking about for a to be a team. I'm a future project that is coming out soon, and thank God for the production and writing team. Like for our podcast, we do I mean casey product, but like we do all of our own stuff.
Speaker 5: Like for at least this other we.
Speaker 1: Have a lot of support, but I don't have to do any like I'm not like the words are done for me.
Speaker 5: I get the one sheets on the people.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So I am but yeah, yeah, wow, But at least the Grandmaster is a skill. I'm talking to mostly grifters, if I'm being honest, I'm talking to people that teach courses online on how to have better at sea shops. Oh like, I'm creating all these businesses for this podcast, and then I'm talking to the professionals in it to improve it and see if we can create money on these side hustles.
Speaker 1: Kind of like a course we just read about in a book that we just read. Yes, I know what you're talking about. Okay, let's get started. As always, if you want to hear us chat about Yesteryear, or you want to see our interviews with fun comedy people talking about SVU or all the other stuff, our Twilight reviews, other stuff we're doing, go to our Patreon, Patreon dot com, slash That's messed Up. That's messed Up Live dot com has links to Lisa's tour dates, to our merch and yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Let's get started. Okay.
Speaker 1: Today's episode Motherly Love from season eighteen, episode ten.
Speaker 5: Twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: We're taking it back to February of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: We open on a kid in an Uber calling his mom NonStop and it's going straight to voicemail and he will not let his mom live. He's leaving her a message being like he's a little too whiny for how old he is. You feel like he looks like fifteen or sixteen. And he's like he's like bombed out. He got in a fight with his dad. He's like, where are you when you're answering the phone, I'm almost home. And then he gets out of the Uber and thanks the driver and it's like a GBC Yukon like this kid. It ordered like Uber black and Uber XL. Like if you order Uber Black, can you also say I want a big one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Of course black? O okay Black Excel. Yeah, so it's Black Excel. Because I was like, what lab black I think of like small Mercedes Sedan.
Speaker 2: What I love about LA is like the Uber Blacks are only three four dollars more. Yeah, like you're like a lot of and if it's really far, it's doubler it's the airport or whatever. But like the little like ten to twenty minute car rides. We're only like three four dollars and it's yeah, I'm getting in a Yukon. Are you out of your mind?
Speaker 1: Also, like the culture in la is to like have a nicer car that you can afford for a lot of people. So like I think that every like there's just a lot more like people are like, oh I.
Speaker 3: Have a Lexus.
Speaker 1: I guess I can be uber black, you know. But so okay, he gets out, thanks, the driver goes inside. He starts to walk upstairs, and we hear, like, you know, we've been here before in like the Chloe seven ye episode.
Speaker 3: Right, what's that one called Valentine's Day? Valentine's Day? Right?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because I was like.
Speaker 2: Because I want to do it, because I want to I want to talk to Chloe.
Speaker 1: Seven yet, I know, but I was thinking of my funny Valentine, which is a different one.
Speaker 2: Which is a different one, which is the Rihanna one, which I'd never want to watch.
Speaker 3: So we don't want to ever do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's always that happens to be constant where I go, oh yay Chloe Sevinier and then I go get this out of my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And the Valentine has us all fucked up.
Speaker 1: So he we hear like moaning that could be like, it could be pleasurable consensual moaning, but it could also be painful assault moaning.
Speaker 5: We don't know. And the ball like obviously, as a fifteen.
Speaker 1: Year old boy, hearing your mom making those noises, you're like, oh, no, something is wrong.
Speaker 5: So he calls nine one one.
Speaker 1: Then he gets a rifle out of the closet that was extremely easy to access. I'll just say that we're hearing these noises. We can't tell, like I said, if it's consensual or assault. When he gets to the kitchen, his mom is bent over the table over the kitchen island excuse me, and is being you know, penetrated from behind. We can't really see the face of who's doing it. And when we see her son. When she sees her son, she screams, help, he's raping me. And then the screen goes black and we just hear the sound of a gunshot. So now it's Benson Finn Carreese rawlins. Everybody's on the scene, okay, and they meet Detective Parry from Homicide and the attacker is dead. His name is Trey Franklin, age fifteen, already like what rifle shot to the head close range?
Speaker 5: Luke Keller is the shooter.
Speaker 1: Fifteen, he saw Franklin assaulting his mother, doctor Nicole Keller, age forty five. So the guys, the guys take the sun, the galas take the mom.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Finn and Careese go to talk to Luke and he's still like I'm sorry, he's been through a trauma, but he's kind of like a whiny little bitch and like he's like.
Speaker 4: I had to do it. He was raping my mom.
Speaker 1: And then he was like, I was supposed to say my dad's we got in a fight. He came, I came home around nine. I wanted to talk to my mom. I tried calling and she wasn't answering, And then he says she was supposed to be home doing paperwork.
Speaker 3: She's a psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: So he describes what happened and how he went to grab his rifle, and both Karesi and Finn look at each other like why does this whiny fifteen year old have a gun?
Speaker 5: And then he goes, oh, it was a gift for my dad.
Speaker 1: He likes to go hunting, and then he saw this guy attacking the mom.
Speaker 5: She yelled for help.
Speaker 1: He shot, but he didn't think he was actually gonna hit him, like he's not like I'm.
Speaker 5: Not crazy, Like I was thinking about that.
Speaker 1: I'm like this kid, and we learned he's like not a you know, it's not like a hunting aficionado.
Speaker 5: So it's like how did he do it? Point blank like that?
Speaker 2: But then it's like our rifle is more surface cereat Like if I shot a gun without having experience, I think i'd fly back, Like I don't get how it was such an accurate shot, wouldn't have shot his mother, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing like with with like shotguns.
Speaker 5: This is a rifle.
Speaker 1: Like with like shotguns, the balls of the shotgun like spray everywhere. So like if he had shot like a shotgun, it would have hit a lot of people, Like I think there's more of a chance. I think that's why people in older times like used to use shotguns to get animals, because you'll wound the animal.
Speaker 5: Casey, I don't know, you don't think about guns.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's what I've read is that shotgun stuff like sprays. But then like rifles are more like it is wild that this guy hits the kid like a kill shot with one shot and is barely a gun enthusiast. And I would say a weak looking boy, yes, like to even have the wherewithal Yeah, he seems like a really sensitive young boy.
Speaker 2: This this episode's tough, not real. Yeah, there's been tougher. It's fine, No, it's tough.
Speaker 5: It's stuff. It's sad. The boy's dead.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And so now we're at Benson and Rollins there with Nicole the victim, and she's like, I need to see Luke. He can't handle the stress. He has a lot of generalized anxiety. And I was like, who doesn't, ma'am, Like everyone has that, and then they But now I'm like, Okay, now I feel.
Speaker 3: Bad for saying he was winy.
Speaker 1: He has generalized anxiety, but he is I don't know, the actor is driving making me a little annoyed.
Speaker 3: And he is like a child actor. This guy. I looked him up, but I don't really know him for much.
Speaker 1: The actress playing Nicole is Sarah Winter, who I think everybody knows from twenty four and other projects as well, But twenty four is like, I think her big thing, so They asked her what happened, and she goes, I was in the kitchen getting some wine. I turned around, he was right there. I tried to get away. He overpowered me. It's like, I know there are like large fifteen year olds, but I don't know fifteen. I feel like eighteen is when they're like more big. But whatever, you know, Yeah, Ed Kemper killed. You know, I think his grandparents at fifteen. That's true, that's but great. Yeah grandparents is they're old they yeah, whatever, I hear. I hear, well he killed his parents then too. I think I think he killed everyone. Killed his mother. Yes, I remember specifically him taking his mother's vocal cords out. Yes, I do recall specific so fucked so so I was shocking.
Speaker 2: In some comics, I go, yeah, I'm trying to do this Green River Killer a bit. We'll see when you know, I can figure it out. People are upset, you know, and someone goes, oh, is there a new serial killer?
Speaker 5: I go, no, not at.
Speaker 3: All, just no these old school I'd say, I'm like, I've just learned about him though. So me, you know, it's like we don't.
Speaker 1: Have that many new serial killers because there's like too much technology. Now, you know the fact that Dexter is getting away with it in the modern age is wild or young Dexter. Don't implicate him. He's done nothing, He's done barely anything wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did murder, he did murder.
Speaker 1: He murdered one rapist, yes, yeah, and then felt guilty. Yeah, but it's crazy that he got away with it, like in a hotel with so many cameras.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, like, you know, he was trained by the best. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying I wish it didn't happen. I've thought it was very satisfying when it happened. I don't think that serial killers are so prolific now because there's DNA, there's more CCTV, there's like so many more ways. Like even this fucking guy Coburger that was like a criminal justice major and worked on it for probably years, fucked up and made a bunch of mistakes and they found him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, but he killed college.
Speaker 1: I think there are still the vulnerable communities that we always talk about that are being murdered constantly and they are cereals. I think there are, yes, but not as many unfortunately, because those marginalized communities not as many like Son of Sam Ted Bundy's where it's taking the press by storm, where we hear about it, you know, like the last one they caught that I remember reading about in the paper was BTK when they caught him in like the twenty two thousands or twenty tens I forgot, but you know anyway, So they're like, well, how did this guy get in? And she's like, oh, I let him in. The music gets tense, so you knew him? She goes, yes, he was my son's best friend. Credits Uh, oh, what is happening? So now Benson is downloading Detective Perry on the whole son's BFF Infochrisy asks a good question like why did she let him in if her wasn't even home and they're like, oh, well, he asked to come in and do his homework. He's been having a tough time at home, so he was just chilling while the mom was working. And Caristie's wondering like if this was premeditated on the part of the Sun and they're like, well, he did call nine one one, and they're like, and the rifle was locked up. I'm like, if that rifle was locked up. It was locked up in a safe that had a one digit combo. Like that kid went in and grabbed the rifle. It took one second. So but it's registered to the dad, and so.
Speaker 3: Fucking dad in New York City has a fucking right.
Speaker 5: It's just it's so crazy.
Speaker 1: And then we find out later the dad's a psychiatrist too, him like, do you think it's like just to give your dad, your fifteen year old generalized anxiety son a rifle? Like that's a good idea, Like he has anxiety. I don't know, you think hunt, You think like snuffing out the life of a deer is going to like calm him down.
Speaker 5: That's going to be like what gets him zen? And like, you know, I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: But the rifle was registered to the dad, and he goes the shooting sounds justifiable to me, But I'm a cop, not a prosecutor. So then Trey Franklin's parents are on their way to the Emmy's office. So now we're at the hospital talking to Nicole. She says she knew not to let Trey into the house that night. Something was off. The way he looked at her made her uneasy. She didn't want to shut him out. She felt bad for him because of his home life. She said Trey came by at nine pm. Then he and Luke had studied, saying he and Luke had study plans. But she was like, well, that must be a mix up. Like he's at his dad's house in Westport, shout out to the divorced dads of Fairfield County, and he answered the door. She answered the door, sorry, in her nightgown. Then she said he worked downstairs. She went upstairs to her bedroom for an hour. Then she came back downstairs and told Trey it was time to go home. And she's like, well, why didn't you pick up when your son was calling? And then she goes, well, when I work, I just put my phone down. I don't really look at my phone. And Luke was with his dad. Do you start lying, yeah, Benson is sniffing this out kind of like immediately, and she goes, well, but you weren't working. You said you'd already put your work down, and so she's like yeah, and I went downstairs for a glass of wine hair relax, and that's yeah, And that's when I felt his presence behind me. She turned around. He put his hands on her. She tried to stop him, and she even told him, she said, I understand sexual impulses and urges. I'm a psychiatrist, and she's dealt with this before, like probably transference or whatever, like clients falling in love with her, having sexual feelings towards her. But then he put her on the kitchen counter or lifted up her nightgown and forced himself inside of her.
Speaker 3: She tried to scream.
Speaker 1: He put his hand over her mouth, so then she closed her eyes and tried to survive. She tried to just stay alive her son, and you know that, Like that's like she's using Olivia Benson language here, like you did what you had to do, you survived, like so she knows all the right things to say, this woman. And she looked up and he was standing there, Luke, and she yelled help. And then she heard the gun shot, so she knew about the gun. She said it was locked in a safe. I said, which a fifteen year old go open in one second, so very very safe. And then she said, but Luke is not a hunter. He's sensitive. He hated the idea of a gun in the house. He once saw a deer one hunting, but like he couldn't shoot. So again it's like, keep the gun at your dad's house in Westport, like Westport's much closer to areas where you would hunt, not Manhattan, like you know, so it just really doesn't make sense, but we have to have a gun there somehow. So back to Luke, who is peering through the blinds in wood room blinds. He's really giving blinds the time to shine, and he's worried about his mom, and Carisey's like, just take me through it step by step again, man, and then he's like, well, I didn't say stop or get off of her. I just reacted and I didn't realize it was Trey until afterwards, like we're best friends. I killed my best friend. He's crying. Luke's dad comes in, he's stressed. He's like, does Luke need a lawyer? And then Carisey's like, it looks like a good shooting, and the dad is like, I appreciate your honesty.
Speaker 3: We're done talking.
Speaker 1: So now we cut to Trey's pair pans identifying a bracelet on their son's like wrists and a scar on his arm. But because they're just showing him a photo right, the other parents. They're showing them a photo and then the mom's like, I want to see his body, and they're like that's a bad idea.
Speaker 3: You don't need to do that.
Speaker 1: I assumed it was because like maybe the wound was like really really bad and like you shouldn't see it your son like that, but I guess they're just like, no, don't. So then they tell them your son's killer is his friend, Luke, and then they're like incredulous, like they can't believe it, and they're like, he also said that your son was sexually assaulting his mom. And the parents are like, it's a wild amount of information for them to be taking in right as they stand ready to identify their son's body, like, oh, by the way, his best friend killed him and said he was assaulting his mother. And they're like, Trey would never assault anyone. And the dad's like, is Luke under arrest? And when they say no, he's like, oh, okay, I get it. So a white kid shoots a black kid and it's the black kid's fault, and even the rape accusation, you know, it's like yes, racial stuff, Yes, totally, he's not wrong, which is probably why they sent Perry and Finn to speak to these parents who are both black, and they're kind of being like no, no, no, we're looking into all the angles and like assuring them, and the dad cries saying his kid was a great kid. It's really sad. These parents are good actors. And the mom demands to see her son. So they both go into the viewing room and the sheet pulls back and it is Trey just lying there with a bullet hole in his forehead, like he got him like right in this the head.
Speaker 5: I mean, like it's a really wild shot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just said he landed a kill shot for being a sensitive kid who hates hunting. So but now Benson is downloading Barba and Trey was an only child, a good kid, good grades, no priors. The rape kit found no seamen, minor abrasions. Nicole didn't mind her son being friends with Trey, but she had a bad feeling about him from the beginning. And then Luke panicked thought he could scare the Purple Way didn't realize it was his friend, Like whatever, they're giving him all the information. If they can figure out the study plan mix up, that could establish that Trey knew the mom would be home alone, and Rollins is like, that's the thing. There's no texts or emails between Luke and Trey, and you know, Benson's like.
Speaker 3: Check the socials, the lockers, the computers.
Speaker 1: So now they're at Trey's home, which is lovely, and they want his computer and electronic devices, and the dat is pissed. He's like, have you taken all of Luke's shit too? And you're acting like my son is the killer, and I'm like, I want to get to the bottom of the Trey has a hard time at home. Like the parents are married, they look like they love each other.
Speaker 5: It's like totally race shit, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's completely like she used that as like a thing that the Cubs will probably buy this. He's a black kid, you know, like he's a good student, he's got friends, like his parents are married. One's a professor, one's an oncology nurse. And I'm not saying like, of course things can look perfect as we know from SBU and not be perfect at home. But I'm just not getting the vibe of like we've been going through marriage troubles and it's really affecting him, Like no one is saying anything that makes it seem like this kid's having any fucking trouble at home at all, and they send him to a nice private school.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. Again, it's not like money.
Speaker 1: Stops all problems, but I'm not getting the vibes. So now they're in Trey's bedroom. They're like searching it where there is an American flag framed and hanging on the wall because classically teens love the USA, and Rollins and Finn are chatting, and Rollin's is like, I don't know, man, you don't just like wake up one day and decide to rape your best friend's mom. And all they're finding in the search is like dirty socks. She's like, there's no drugs, there's no booze. I'm not finding anything. But Finn gets under the mattress where he finds a book and when he pages through it, there's photos tucked inside of it, and there are photos of Trey posing with doctor Keller, who's undercovers in bed. He's smiling at the camera, her eyes are closed, and Finn goes, there's a lot more in here than dirty socks.
Speaker 3: Done. Done.
Speaker 5: So that's the end of Act one. Top of two.
Speaker 1: Rollins and Benson are confronting col with the photos, and Benson is kind of sarcastic, like, imagine our surprise, and Nicole is like, me too, I mean I had a sense he was stalking me, but now I know, And Benson's like, babe, you said you had a bad feeling about him. That's taking it Like that's a few steps below stalking. And then she like confirms, like it's me in the picture. Yes, but I'm asleep. I'm totally unaware that this adult teenager was taking pictures.
Speaker 5: There are no adult teenagers. There are teenagers. That's it.
Speaker 3: You're not an adult teenager.
Speaker 1: So well again, I guess a race thing again, Yes, yes, boys are treated as adults faster. Well, and he's clearly a predator, lying bitch too, right, Like we know that this isn't going to go nowhere. This is SVU the show is. The episode's called Motherly Love, like we know, but like it's also kind of feels like if you look, if you flash forward to what happens, it's a bit of a way of her absolving herself like an adult teenager, like like a teenager that's big and mature and like a man you know, so it's okay to have sex with them or assault them, essentially. So Bedson asks, can we take a look around? And then she's like so and she lives in this beautiful multi floor apartment right And she's like, so, you're saying this kid walked up these stairs and then got on your bed and took these photos.
Speaker 5: And she's like, it's the only explanation.
Speaker 1: Of access, and Rollins goes, Nah, there are other explanations that make sense, like and then she goes, sometimes I sleep in the nude, sometimes I'm in a nightgown, sometimes in a Rolling Stones T shirt.
Speaker 5: Are you suggesting that I had sex with this boy?
Speaker 1: And then she goes, I'm just asking why you and that boy were in bed together naked, And she goes, because he was obsessed with me and snuck into my bed. She goes, you must be a sound sleeper. She got an answer for everything, this bitch. She goes, I've been on sleep medication in the last few months. So if you thought he was stalking you, why did you give him so much access to you? Like, why did you invite him into your home alone? At nine? It's like the classic thing of like if you tell the truth. You don't have to keep track of stuff, you know, like this woman can't. She can't keep anything straight. Yeah, She's like oh yeah, yeah, but she I don't know she didn't think this through before. Maybe she thought the cops weren't going to come back, like yeah, I think she's like arrogant, right, the arrogance of like, I'm not going to get caught for this, right. So she's like, well, I was trying to help him, you know, the bad home, and then Rollins is like, yeah, she's on my side. She goes, where's the She said, there's no evidence of this troubled home life that you talk about, like we've checked out his life, like we're not seeing that. And Nicole's like, well, you know what I see patients who are rape I have patients who are rape victims, and I tell them don't blame yourself. I guess that's easier said than done. Like so now she's turning it back on Rollins and Benson like, why are you guys treating me like the purp So then on the night of the shooting, you were up here on the upstairs floor where like the master primary bedroom is and he was like and he was down here, so he never came up there, and she's like, like, why didn't he just go up there, Like if he was going to attack you, why did he wait for you.
Speaker 5: To come down to the kitchen.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And she says, Lieutenant, I think you and your colleague here should leave. Uh okay, rawlins that's a read and she goes, I'm sensing some underlying hostility and it's making me uncomfortable. And Benson goes, yeah, well, naked selfies of you and Trey are making me uncomfortable. And then she gives her signature Benson Glare, and she leaves. So now we are at what looks like the set for every private school that they go to in the show, like they're truly at like Columbia, or they're like at one of these you know, stone stained glass window places, and it's called Manor Hill Academy and it's in Riverdale in the Bronx, and a dude is telling CARIESI this kid that Trey was cool, like he's only been here since September, but he was cool, like he was a good guy, a lot of friends, and what about Luke And he's like, he's good guy too, but and he's like kind of a nerd. Carse He's like, I got a nose for nerds. So then Luke and Trey were close. He said, Trey looked out for Luke. Luke idolized Trey thought he was a god. And he goes, it's crazy that Luke ended up killing his god. And it's like, okay, all of that language is strange too, So weird from.
Speaker 3: Kid and looked up to this other kid, but it's just strange.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now we're speaking to an SVU classic trope right now, the uptight white lady who is the dean of a private school, and she's like, I've never heard rumors of Trey and Luke's mom. Is that what you think happened? And then they're like, we don't know, we're investigating, blah blah. What do you think like and he goes. She goes, well, Trey was a good kid for the most part, So what's the for the most part. Now, the kid that Carese was just talking to, Ethan is his name, is being brought into wood room Blinds with his dad for some follow up questions about his relationship with Trey, and the dad's like he's already answered all your questions and it's like, well, sir, they obviously have more and Cariese's like, so no issues between you and Trey and he's like, no, none, and he's like, because we just heard you both got suspended for getting into a fight a week ago, which like your parents would have known about two.
Speaker 3: So your dad's like sitting there listening to you lie.
Speaker 5: So they definitely use scare tactics on this kid.
Speaker 1: Tell him like, you know, lying to the cops could really fuck up your sweet lacrosse scholarship. So immediately the dad is like, you better talk son, and Ethan's like, okay, but dad, you need to leave. He's like, I don't want to talk about this with you here, and the dad's like, no, spill it, and like he goes like I can't tell my dad, and the Dad's like, spit it out, and so Ethan's lower lip.
Speaker 3: Starts to shake.
Speaker 1: So you know, I don't think that many fifteen year old boys are a great actors.
Speaker 3: So I feel like whatever he's about to say is like truthful.
Speaker 1: So he cuts into Coole's home where she's opening the front door to find Benson and then needing to take her down to the station to ask some questions and Ethan, they say, Ethan Miller says, you sexually assaulted him ten maybe eleven times, then you moved on to Trey, and Ethan got upset and punched Tray and they got suspended. And Nicole is like, what their kids. They fantasize about older women women, It's a normal, healthy fantasy, and Benson's like, nope, nothing about statutory rape is natural. Let's go so in cement room bars now Benson and Fann are questioning Nicole. She's like, absolutely, not, unequivocally denying relationships with both boys. Seeing Ethan is lying, and they're like, when he told us about this, he started crying and he begged his dad not to hate him, like I don't know.
Speaker 5: We believe him, like we've got.
Speaker 1: We've got a good this is a good confession on our hands here. And they're like, Trey is dead because you claimed he was raping you when you were the one raping him. And she is shocked. She was like, you are making this up? Like where do you get this stuff? And Benson's like, the quicker you start telling the truth, the better it is for you and for Luke, and she leans in like, don't you dare presume to tell me what's best for my son? And Benson's like, just spitting straight facts here, baby, and she goes, well, I know that if I'm not under arrest, I'm free to go and I'll be calling my lawyer. And Benson's like, we'll be in touch. I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about, and Finn calls this woman a stone cold liar, like after she leaves, and Benson's like a psychiatrist who's sexually abusing teen boys and emotionally damaging her own son. That's worse than lying, Like that's pathological.
Speaker 3: Like this is a.
Speaker 1: Woman that is something is up with her, and Benson's like, I want to track her phone. I want to vet Ethan's story. If she's smart, she'll cover her tracks. We need hard evidence, and we need proof that Luke didn't know about his mom and Trey. So now we're talking to Luke and he's got his mom's back. He's like, Ethan's a liar. That's not true. My mom said you were going to say this, so she obviously called him immediately. And then they said, yeah, and your mom and Trey they were also a thing, and she goes and he goes, she said, you were going to say that too. So this kid is, you know, a bit of a mama's boy, so which by design. I'm sure there's no way that like, that's just not true. My mom would never do that, he says. And then so then Robin steps out of the room and Benson and Luke's dad have been watching through the glass like through the fish bowl, right, and he says, Luke's a good kid, but like he's got tea on his ex wife that he'd love to spill.
Speaker 5: The dad.
Speaker 1: So he goes, she's complicated, and then they're like, can you elaborate, and he goes, she's a malignant narcissist. She's probably borderline. And they're like, okay, that's a little bit more than complicated. And he's like, she's also a psychiat he's also a psychiatrist. Sorry, So they're two psychiatrists married to each other, or they were.
Speaker 5: They're exes.
Speaker 1: So now he said, this lying manipulation of use of behavior, it's been going on for a while, and he goes, yeah, since the day I met her, and she's the best woman and worst woman you've ever met. Wrapped into one, which sounds psycho. He's just like, she just tim will you know what I mean? Yes, Like, and I think there is I think everything else was a con Well, yeah, he goes She's charming, she's brilliant, like but gradually the sickness reveals itself, and like she believes she's special, that she deserves constant adoration and attention. She has no empathy, but is also extremely fragile and really has no true sense of self. And he's like, I couldn't take it anymore. And they're like, but you let your son just live in that house with her? And he's like, I fought like hell for custody of Luke, but the judge sided with her. She is charming and persuasive, like of course she's gonna get to a judge. You know that these things are hard to kind of like define, you know, in a court of law, Like if you're like, no, I have documentation of when she hit him, or I have a video of her calling him an asshole or whatever, like it's not the same as like she slowly and quietly manipulates somebody, it's a little harder to prove. So he's like, I just never thought she would destroy her own son. Please tell me you're not charging Luke with a crime, and they're like, no, so she's the criminal here.
Speaker 3: We need to talk to Barbara.
Speaker 1: So now they're in Barba's office, Benson, Rollins, and Greasy are trying to make a case for Luke being totally innocent and clueless, and they're like, Nicole is the one lying, not Luke. Rollins gets lab results, then pinged on her phone and she goes, here we go. We found fresh seamen on a towel upstairs at Nichole's that she specifically denied. That's Tray' semen. It's a match for Trey and she specifically denied him being up there twice. And so Barbara's pissed. He's like, arrest her, and Benson goes statutory rape and Barbara goes, oh, I'm thinking a lot more than that. So Ben and Benson bust into Nicole's office with their badges during one of her sessions.
Speaker 3: Of course, the client is like, what the fuck is going on here?
Speaker 1: They arrest her on charges of third degree rape and of a miner and murder. Might need to find a new psychiatrist, sir. So now the top of AC four outside there is a swarm of reporters and they're doing like a drone overhead shot of these reporters. So it's not like sometimes you can make ten reporters look like a lot of reporters if you do like tighter shots. No, there's like seventy five extras that are hired to be reporters for this scene. Like the featured extras budget was popping on this episode. Okay, and Barba's giving a little press conference and he kind of sounds like he's performing like a musical number the way he says it, like he's like, I don't know. He's like, our only goal was to bring the person responsible for Trey Franklin's death to justice, and that person is Nicole Keller. It sounds like a Sondheim to me, and he just done a lot of Sondheim. So to cry rape while she was sexually assaulting a teen while her son was standing ten feet away with a rifle shows depraved indifference to Trey Franklin's life. And then the defense attorney for Nicole is drum Roll Buchanan, friend of the Pod, and he's doing a counter programming.
Speaker 5: You know, he's like defending his clients. She's a victim.
Speaker 1: She is devastated by her son's friend's death and to suggest she had anything to do with it is outrageous. Okay, So now we're in court, Benson's on the stand, Barba is presenting the cum towel. Benson is stating how Nicole has twice denied Trey being upstairs at her home. And then it's Buchanan's turn and he goes no questions for this witness. He doesn't want to question Benson. So then Barbara calls Luke Keller to the stand and he's whining. Even while he's testifying, he's whiny and he's like, I didn't know the man assaulting my mother was Trey. And Barba's like, well, did your mom see the rifle? And Buchanan objects that speculation and he rephrases it did your mom look down?
Speaker 3: And Luke goes yes.
Speaker 1: So Luke is like, maybe now seeing the forest for the like he's seeing the reality with his mom. So he describes how he pulled the trigger after his mom yelled rape, but he didn't mean to kill anyone. He was only trying to help his mom, like he's been sticking to the story the whole time that he just thought that the gunshot would scare him off. He just happened to obviously stick a kill shot. So now it's Buchanan's turn and he's doing his slick shit trying to trip this kid up on the stand. He's like and he's like, I thought my mom was being attacked, but Lieutenant Benson told me what they found upstairs, and basically I Buchanan is saying, well, you have no way of knowing if your mom saw the gun or what she was experiencing or seeing. And one last thing, didn't Barba the prosecutor give you a deal of no jail time for testifying against your mom, even though you're the one who killed Trey, right, And he says yes, And how are they not prepared for this? Like they know Buchanan's going to ask some shit like this, right, They're always going to ask if there's like a deal. And the judge is, by the way, judge Elana Barth and we've seen her in a lot of episodes. So there they let Sad Sad Luke step down, Benson whisks him away, and his mom like looks on and she's like pissed that Benson is like mothering her child a little bit, you know, outside the courtroom, his dad's walking him out, his mom comes, The mom comes out and they hug and then she shoots a death stare at bensim and Barba's like, the poor kid doesn't know whether to love her or hate her, and Benson goes, it's hard to give up on your mother, no matter how sick she may be.
Speaker 3: And Benson knows. No one knows that, like Benson.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So now this crazy bitch Nicole is on the stand and Buchanan is questioning her and she's going over what happened that night and she's like, I yelled rape and then I heard a horrible loud gunshot and then it was over. And now it's Barbi Stern. You better watch out. And he's like, so you let this kid in at nine pm and she's like turbulent home life, and Barba says, you keep saying that, but his parents are happily married and he gets straight a's and she starts in on how grades are not indicative of emotional problems and all this stuff, and Barbara goes, Okay, we're not interested in your psychobabble for the moment, thank you so much for sharing, and it's amazing, it's so good. He is such a little like no, no, no, thank you, We're good. And then Barbara brings up the towel. How did this boy's jizz get on that towel, ma'am? And she has no clue. Maybe he's snuck up there and masturbated one night. Maybe yeah, like this boy's whole goal was to come up to your room, take a selfie with you sleeping jerk off in a towel, and then lee like, what are you talking about? So maybe you had an initial encounter upstairs and then brought him downstairs for more and bu cannon objects and the judge allows it, honestly. And Barba's like, you let him into your home late at night wearing lingerie and she goes it was a nightgown. And Barbara gets pissed and goes, we're not going to argue semantics. You are wearing this little number and shows a picture of this silky nightgown.
Speaker 5: I mean it is technically a nightgown, but it's like pretty sexy.
Speaker 3: I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You can wear whatever you want to bed she says, yes, but I was ready for bed or ready to sexually assault a fifteen year old boy. Barba says, you let him into your house wearing only a nightgown, then cried rape when you saw a gun in your son's hand. And Nicole's like, he raped me, and Barbara counters, no, you raped him. There's an objection, and then what Barbara withdraw withdraws that and he rests his case, and then Nicole turns to the judge and says, I want to testify again. I need to change my defense if you can. It is even baffled. He's like, and she goes, I've been lying and now I just want to tell the truth, ill truth.
Speaker 5: Judge Barth is like, Chambers, right now, okay, And.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm like uncomfortable knowing what's happened going to happen next.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like so upset.
Speaker 3: It's so upsetting.
Speaker 1: She wants to tell the truth, Buchanan says, and Barba's like, you don't just get to suddenly tell the truth because the jury isn't buying your lies. And Buchanan says, I have the right to redirect testimony of his wit of the witness or whatever, and my client will offer a new defense. Her new testimony will contradict her prior testimony. She is willing to admit she perjured herself and Barth is like, okay, but what's the new defense. Now we're back in court, Buchanan is questioning Nicole yet again, saying we'll tell them what happened. She says, Trey Franklin and I were in the kitchen having sex. Luke walked in on us and shot his friend in the head. Did you make eye contact with him? She says no. It's always weird when they do this kind of shit too, because we saw it. We saw the beginning of the episode, like it's there, like you know what happened, Like sometimes there's just a body and we don't know what actually happened, but we saw it like it's on camera. We saw you make eye contact with him, and she says no, and Luke is like obviously crying.
Speaker 5: Benson is horrified. Her mouth is like on the ground.
Speaker 1: She's like, I cannot believe this bitch is doing her own son dirty like this, and Nicole says, I don't want my son to go to prison, so I just made up the rape thing to protect him. Benson cannot believe this shit. She's like comforting Luke. She's basically saying, Luke knew that Trey and I were involved in a sexual relationship. One time he caught us having sex and he was just in the doorway watching and masturbating. Like what, And they go, are you saying your son is romantically attracted to you? And she says, yes, it's not as unusual as you What a crazy, dumb, twisted, stupid bitch.
Speaker 3: But she thinks, I'm a psychiatrist. I know this exists.
Speaker 1: I know that genetic sexual attraction, even though we kind of know it's not real, Like, I know that this has happened that like Macbeth, Oedipist, whatever, there have been men attracted to their mothers before. So she's like, they'll buy this. I'm such a pro, I'm so charming. I've gotten everything I've wanted out of life. Why not now? So she's like, yes, it's not as usual as unusual as you might think, and Benson is like, let's go, honey, I'm getting you out of here, and like tries scooting Luke out of there, and as they're leaving, Nicole is yelling Luke, it's my fault. I should have taken better care of you. I take responsibility for this.
Speaker 2: And he's like horrified, sad Benson, So God has Benson.
Speaker 1: But she can't help do a little gaslight on his way out, like no, like you know, or like a little manipulation, like I know that you've been in love with me and I should have done something about it earlier. I'm so sorry, like crazy, so you can't arrest. The judge calls adjournment, but Barbara wants his shot now while the jury is still hot. But the judge is done, which I'm annoyed with, I know, and she's like, no, Barbara, we'll see you tomorrow at nine am. So now in Barbara's office, CARESI and Benson and Barbara are strategizing when Luke's dad arrives and goes well, Luke wants to plead guilty for murder and like to murder, and they're like the dad's like, but he has immunity, right, And now Luke believes that he deliberately shot Trey, which is because the mother has sort of like gaslit him into believing, like, oh, remember how you were so jealous of me and Trey's relationship and you knew about it, like none of that happened. But that's now Luke's doubting his own mind and his own thoughts. So Luke believes he deliberately shot Trey and that deep down he knew his mom was fucking his friend. In her deluded mind, Luke is responsible for this and she needs to take him down, and Benson's like, I gotta talk to Luke. So they meet outside. Benson's like, let me take you for a drive. So they get into her suv that she drives around town and she asks if you want to go get something, like you want to go get somebody to eat. He's like, I'm not really hungry and I don't want really whatt people staring at me, Like can we just talk in the car and she's like sure. She tells him, you can't plead guilty. You told me and Careesy a dozen times about how she pleaded for help, and he's like, yeah, but I knew she liked Trey. She was always real talkative when he was around. And she's like, yeah, but did you ever see them physically together? And he says no, And he says, what my mother said about me watching them was a lie, and Benson's like, babe, I know that, but I did hear her say once he says that Trey was really handsome, so I knew. I just didn't know that I knew. And Benson explains statutory rape to this kid, and he's like, I was just trying to save her, and Benson's like, yeah, and you're really really brave, and she said, like I heard the deer hunting story from your mom. The mom had told a story earlier about how like one time he saw a deer and he couldn't even pull the trigger because he didn't want to kill the deer. And she's like, I know, like who you really are, Like you're not a person that hurts people, and it's not your job to sacrifice your life for hers, and so yeah, it's like this kid couldn't shoot a deer. You think he's going to shoot his own best friend? Like that's not happening. Back in court, the judge asks if Barbara is ready for cross but he recalls Luke and everyone is stunned, and he takes the stand and he asked, Luke, did you intentionally shoot Trey out of anger for him? Being in a sexual relationship with your mother. And he says, no, that's not true. I shot him because I thought he was raping her. And then he says Barba says, why did you think that? And he goes because she looked me in the eye and yelled help. He's raping me. And Luke is very focused. I think she was betting on her son going down for it. Like fully. So now the jury has a verdict, manipulating him for years. Yes, the jury has a verdict. They find the defendant guilty on second degree murder and third degree rape of a miner. She looks stunned, and they should bring her back to court for ethan for like third degree rape of a miner at times ten or however many times she did it. She looks stunned. She's like, I've never not gotten what I want in my entire life. What's happening. She rushes towards Luke and tells him she loves him, and she forgives him. I'm still your mother, and I'll always be your mother no matter what you've done. Psycho, Congratulations, lieutenant, you've convinced my son I'm the devil. And she goes, no, Nicole, you did that all yourself. She gets taken away. Barba asks if Benson is okay and tells her, you know, Luke is a strong kid. He'll be fine. I'm like, is he he's been pretty whiny. I think it's going to take a while. I think he'll be okay, but it's going to take a while.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, And it's like to go to a therapist.
Speaker 2: It's gonna like his mom was psychiatry, Like it's gonna be hard to trust other mental health professional trouble exactly because she was so bad.
Speaker 5: But the dad seems good. Yeah, maybe then.
Speaker 1: We'll get rid of the guns until your son's older and is feeling a little bit more confident in life, and then you can see if he's interested in hunting anyway. She goes, I think, Barbara Benson goes, you really believe that about him being fine? And then Barba asked, want me to buy you a drink? And she turns him down. She never turns Barbara down for a drink. I feel like, she goes, I gotta go home, I gotta go see Noah, and she like, through tears, is like, I just want to be with my boy. She shook she's shaken, she's gagged. She stares at the courtroom and that's dick wolf, I think, and now like that she's she's been a mother since like season sixteen, maybe this is season eighteen. I just think she like can't believe that a mom would do something so shitty to her, and this this wlain it to this kid, you know, like, how do you explain that? Like she was willing everyone to think that you like jerked off and while your best friend and mom fucked like you dumb bitch. And this episode, I feel like combines a bunch of past episodes, Like it combines Mother where the psychiatrist is having sex with patients.
Speaker 5: Right, was that not John Margaro? Who's the guy?
Speaker 1: John Abraham's John Abraham and we talked to that's right, Mother. It combines Mother, It combines Valentine's Day, I mean a little bit of pop with like the mom and the son who did it?
Speaker 3: We're both like, we're both.
Speaker 1: And so I just covered a case with the fake rape, like and then remember remember the com down the butthole?
Speaker 5: Oh I do?
Speaker 3: How could I forgot? Yeah?
Speaker 5: What episode was that for? We just did it?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but it was a case where she yelled, but because it's Texast, she's in jail and the shooter is not. Oh yes, yeah, which one was that? Yeah, because that was given for this case as well.
Speaker 2: But you know, I just covered it, deleted it from my mind memory spiritics.
Speaker 1: I know the details and where. But yeah, well i'll go into what this is. Did you have more to say about this bad mother? How much time do you think she got for murder? And like she'll get she'll probably get parole, and like we talked about, like we've talked about before, she'll probably appeal until she fucking gets out. But I don't think she's appealing rich. Maybe a couple appeals, Yeah, maybe that wouldn't really rich for all these appeals.
Speaker 2: It was a big house that they were living in for New York City. But maybe she comes from money, because I don't know psychiatrists that could afford a town home like that.
Speaker 1: Well, psychiatrists make a lot for New York. Maybe she's rent. I don't know, I don't know. I don't know, right, And I think she's getting twenty years. I think she's getting twenty years at least. Yeah, yeah, and she's forty five, she'll be sixty five, maybe the letter out on bail being like, well she's not gonna and some if any teenagers at sixty five, I don't know. Yeah, well you'd be surprised. Okay, So we'll get started. This is the case of two cases, two cases today. So the first one is unfortunately, the murder of a Keem Davis. And this was mainighteen twenty sixteen in the Bronx. Yeah, seventeen years old. He was shot and killed late in the afternoon and he was found in the Pelham Parkway housing development. Neighbors said to New York For NBC that they saw Davis sitting outside his building just before he died, joking around with friends, like nice, well known kid. There were videos posted online on Facebook Live before the shooting as well, and the videos had the victim and other people in the room. There was the and like the last video was taken at least a half hour before the shooting, and it was you know, smoking weed, listening to music, like just like friends stuff. Rachel Williams, a neighbor NBC New York For.
Speaker 2: She said he was like a very good kid, not a troublemaker. He didn't deserve that, but troublemakers also don't deserve to get shot. And he was just a month out from graduating high school. He would have been eighteen just one week later. More quotes from the neighborhood. Humble, contagious, sense of humor, very polite, sweet, hold the door for you. If he saw you with the package, he would assist you with it. And according to police and CBS New York, he was found with a gunshot wound to the torso he stumbled into the hallway, collapsed in front of his brother's girlfriend, Star White, and she's quoted in the Daily News. All of his blood was just coming out of his mouth. Oh, he just came out here and dropped and was pronounced that at Jacobi Hospital.
Speaker 5: Now May twentieth.
Speaker 2: The next day, his friend is charged in the shooting death with manslaughter and criminal possession of a firearm. That's Stefan Lewis, nineteen years old and he's, you know, just playing with a gun.
Speaker 5: He thought it was empty.
Speaker 1: And the grandma said that he was crying a lot when he was announced dead and that he's like suffering because of this.
Speaker 5: And this is the NBC New York.
Speaker 2: For and yeah, he and she'd Obviously the grandma doesn't want him being charged as an adult, but he did get charges as in adults. And then the father of the shooter like apologized to the Davis family but said it was an accident. And that's and then the Davis family does not believe it was an accident. A Chem's teen sisters quoted an NBC New York for we don't think it was playing or no accident because we've seen him for ourselves. So that's what I have to say about that the gun had not been found though, like he was charged, they couldn't find the gun. The family rightfully says, if it was an accident, why is the gun not found, Like the gun should just be there as evidence, like if it was all about mistake, like show us the gun, so that like the family's like they must be hiding something. And then the detectives, to Spectrum News one New York reported that the gun was not legally registered but did not belong to anyone in the Davis household. Lewis, however, told the police in a criminal complaint that the gun belonged to a Keem's brother. We don't know because this is okay, whatever I have to keep going, so and there was shady language. So it's like sources said and eyewitnessed told detectives and it's like okay, like what yeah, but that he was hanging with a group of you know friends in his bedroom. And also the Daily News like called the shooter a beef eteen like, oh my god, strange. It's strange, but yeah, like it says David and Lewis were playfully wrestling on the bed when Louis picked up a gun on the dresser around five pm and shot his friend once. I just don't even know how that's a joke, Like I just don't understand. Lewis said to The Daily News that after the gun went off and shot a Keen in the chest, he threw it on the bed and ran outside and called nine one one. So the victim's mom told the Daily News, and she's a male carrier. I could understand if he got shot out in the street, but they shot him right here in his bed, and it is his friend. And this is fucked up because like tragedy. She's a grieving mother. But Jocelyn Carr to the Daily News said she did everything she could to keep This is like unrelated to the case. But she says like she did everything she could to keep her son protected from the violence of the streets, even making him pledge to join the army. And it's like the army's quite violent. I would say, yeah, but they pay for college.
Speaker 5: But listen.
Speaker 2: So I tried to find anything about a conviction, a trial, a prison set.
Speaker 5: I could not days.
Speaker 1: I searched, like I was in the bronx DA's office website searching. I was just hold an accident. I don't think it went to court. I was looking up convictions. I was like in weird papers, lock up.
Speaker 2: There would be a record, there would be a record, and I could not find it. So if it exists and you you work in the city and you can get your hands on more information, but like I could not.
Speaker 1: So it either got dismissed or did he even get Did he get arrested? He did, Yeah, he was charged, he got arrested. Yeah, he was charged with manslaughter and.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I bet it got thrown out and.
Speaker 1: Not half and the gun like he had the gut this gun and criminal possession of a firearm. So sad, okay, So that's that, And I don't know no civil case. There's nothing. I couldn't find anything. Yeah, and it's not like that unique of names, so it's tough.
Speaker 2: So the next case is Pamela Rogers Turner found her. Okay, so this all happened in two thousand and five, and the articles are crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, we still do it, but it's like thirteen year old boy sex and it's like teacher, it's not accused of having sex.
Speaker 2: It's like the language is so fucked. The New York Post in an article was like a torrid affair between a stunning teacher and thirteen year old student. Like they articles called her a temptress, and it's like, no, she's a pedophile.
Speaker 3: And so she was its pe teacher.
Speaker 2: She was twenty seven at the time of the crime, and you know, a pedophile and this happened sixty five miles southeast of Nashville. The sheriff again described her as absolutely gorgeous, so you can imagine, you know, how the pedophile case went. You know, she's blonde, former college homecoming queen, and I didn't know call homecoming thing is a thing, basketball player, bikini clad promoter for professional wrestling matches, according to CBS News, and I did five. So now I did find her through the sex defender registry.
Speaker 3: Ye, I see her on there.
Speaker 5: So the offence has happened.
Speaker 1: So February seventh, two thousand and five, sexual battery of an authority by an authority figure, sexual battery by an authority figure. Then July seventh, two thousand and six, solicitation to commit sexual exploitation of a minor. She's still actively on the registry. And then there's a full criminal history as well. So, like I said, so February seventh, oh five, it's stat rape with a thirteen year old convicted, and then the same day with sexual battery by an authority convicted. But she had like thirteen and fifteen charges of each she was facing one hundred years. I think every time you have you sexually assault one of these kids, you get to charge. Yeah, right, yeah, so it's thirteen and fifteen and so then April, so then I found this information first. Maybe I should have organized it better or whatever.
Speaker 2: So then her last registration report date was March sixth, twenty twenty six, and last date information upload it was May eighth, twenty twenty six, so like it is all being old, that's like.
Speaker 3: Four days ago. Oh my god, it's like really cool.
Speaker 2: So she had an ongoing sexual relationship with a thirteen year old male student, and she was employed by Warren County. It lasted three months and one occurrence was in the school gym, the CBS News from Southern Standard said, And it started with online chats and again the New York Post called it innocent, and it's like, no, a teacher should not be.
Speaker 5: There is no innocent in this.
Speaker 2: His childhood friend, Justin Grissom, said he was with his friend when the chat started, and Turner wrote, I think you're cute, and this is according to the teen and New York Post, Like, I don't know if you want.
Speaker 5: To trust it or not.
Speaker 2: She took his virginity obviously he's like thirteen, but also like there is probably more to this conversation, if it's choice or not. But his best friend Justin was like, she threw herself at at his pal and she pursued him and was way more into him than he was into her. But Justin's a bad friend, Like why are you saying everything? And then he told the Post his friend loved every minute of it and called his friend a little pimp.
Speaker 5: And then if this was gender reversed.
Speaker 1: If this was like a man, a twenty seven year old man going after a thirteen year old girl, people would be like with pitchforks outside of his house, Beauty and the Beast, Yes.
Speaker 2: And then what bothers me is like whenever there is a rape discussion, like it's always like what about the opposite?
Speaker 5: And it's like I am outraged.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you guys are the ones that are excited by this, you know what I mean? And the sentences and the way the sheriff is talking about her, it's like, you guys are perpetuating it, like okay.
Speaker 5: So he also.
Speaker 1: Also the way that they'll be like she's dropped it gorgeous, like why did she have to? It's like I would understand an ugly woman hooking up with a thirteen year old What other choice does she we have but a hot one?
Speaker 3: Like come on with.
Speaker 5: This diattal files.
Speaker 2: So the friend, the quote unquote friend claims that he dumped his girlfriend who was his age, to focus more on the teacher. She was calling him fifty five to six times a night, and the posts again gorgeous blonde bombshell elicted trists, and then there was a lot of intercourse, a lot of oral dozens of times. So that's why I shared all these things. And then the actions, like I said, took some at the school and then some at Turner's home she rented with her husband, but also at the teen's house.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Also, all this coverage is from the two thousands. It's like, this is not from like the seventies, where you're like, it was a different time we had sex with our teachers.
Speaker 5: Like it's from like twenty years.
Speaker 2: Ago, and like, and the da Dale porter said to NBC News that like Turner living at that for a brief period of time when she was moving from residence to residence, and the mother of the teen is quoted by the news too being like, oh, she was a family friend, so they moved in this family friend teacher who was raping their son.
Speaker 1: But like this was just good old pals. Oh my god, you know, strange, strange, strange.
Speaker 2: So she tried to plead no contest in August oh five, but she entered a guilty plea to four counts and received an eight year split confinement sentence, of which she was to serve six months in the Warren County Jail and then the rest would be on probation, so like she only had to serve six months and then seven and a half years, just like on probation on this like split confinement.
Speaker 1: I don't really know what that means. Nuts, That is a wild sentence.
Speaker 2: And if she didn't take the plea deal, she was facing charges punishable by one hundred years, which she probably should have gotten. She obviously surrendered her teaching certificate. She agreed to be on the registry as a child sex offender. The sentence also promotes her from profiting off the case and does not allow interviews. Also, everyone agreed that the penalty should be stiffer, but the d A. Dale Potter said that the victim's family their interest was if we could settle this without going to trial, that's what they preferred, and we feel like this is an acceptable settlement. So like maybe the sun just kept being like I loved it, Like I don't know why. The parents would be like six months is fine, and then she could be on probation.
Speaker 5: Strange.
Speaker 2: They just didn't want to do a trial though, So she can't have contact with the boy or his family. So then and then her husband, Chris Turner, filed for divorce the same time she was indicted.
Speaker 5: So that's pretty cool. No escape at Denmore there.
Speaker 1: So now February two thousand and six, after serving the six months, she was really released, placed on this probation for the balance of the sentence. But she violated parole obviously, she obviously violated parole. Oh yeah, she sent tex videos sexual explicit pictures to the victim who was still a minor. So she got two additional years to be served consecutive to her og sentence and so and then as fast as two thousand and eight, she was asking a parole agient like for parol again, and they're like, the next one will be twenty fourteen.
Speaker 5: They're like, you're gonna do ten years.
Speaker 1: You prove in your pedophile you are blonde and hot, so we let you off easy. But you're six so now you're back in here. So but she didn't get away, so she got out after six months and then I mean that's exactly what Mary Kayla de Renaud did.
Speaker 3: They were like, you can't see him, and then she did, and then she went back to jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So then that was like April eleventh, two thousand and six. It was violation of community corrections, convicted, and then four twenty four, two thousand and six, violation of community corrections. And then June third, twenty fifteen, she got in trouble. Take contraband into penal facility, penal, penal whatever, penal code. Yeah, what that's like, sounds gross, you know what I mean? So take contrabandant to the penal facility.
Speaker 1: Guilty if it makes you feel better. If it was about a penis, it would be penile not penal. No, I know, I don't know why I'm acting so immature, So guilty plea has charged her and then like, yeah, she's on the registry.
Speaker 5: So that's that.
Speaker 1: So she's out now because obviously this is from a while ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's on the edge. Wow, crazy, I mean, at least she served the time.
Speaker 1: The study on what makes women do this kind of thing?
Speaker 5: Is it like you just like the same pedophile stuff.
Speaker 1: No, I think I don't know. When it's like these teens though, it's like I think that they're seeing these boys as like young men, you know or whatever, and I think they just want someone they can like control, you know, yeah, like they you know, it's like they could be having relationships with people their own age, but they're maybe they're like, I don't know, it's great, it's so anyway I mean I'm talking about is like specifically also with like this woman or Mary Kayla Tourneau, where they never did it with another person. It's not like they're a pedophile that's compulsive, do you know what I mean? They just this one kid they just really had it bad for. They're still pedophiles, but they're not like committing Yeah, you're right, I'm yeah, we taught there was this we covered like a person saying that I remember where it's like, yeah, even when the women do it, it's usually like one long lasting relationship.
Speaker 5: It's not like it's not.
Speaker 1: Like people collecting child sex abuse images and this is like my whole like you know, sexual like interest. But damn, thank you for telling us these stories. And we've got an interview coming up, so don't go anywhere, everybody. Today's guest is an actor who is best known for her roles on shows like twenty four, Flight of the Concords, Goliath, and being the very first face on the show Sex of the City. But you know her best as devious pedophile and mother doctor Nicole Keller please everybody enjoy our convo with the wonderful Sarah Winter.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm so excited to do this. I don't remember anything perfects. We remember so much about this that's amazing. Oh my god, you're gonna hear it.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Because I just was obviously like stalking you a little bit on your social media and saw that you did the Sex and the City the Charlotte podcast. Yeah, you know, from Davis, And I was like, oh, she's a good podcast guest, like she know, she gets it, she knows the podcasts.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I did that because I was her first guest on her poka, because I was the first person in Sex and the City, like the very first person.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that's you.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the r Gallery and it's raining, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: And so a cousin of mine about I don't know ten years ago, said, Sarah, did you know I grew up in Australia? Clearly because now I'm doing She said, you were the first person to have sex on Sex in the City, and so that no matter what I do, I'm going to have that, Like if I never work again, I'm going to have that.
Speaker 1: And then I did this episode of Yeah, and we're both Cities fans, but Lisa is like a massive, massive sex.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you should be on her podcast. I mean I would die, I actually, and she should do yours.
Speaker 5: Let's well, she's my Miranda Paint.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's Miranda. Oh my god, what a gorgeous did.
Speaker 4: You do that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I got just blacked out one night and won an online auction, and so that's.
Speaker 3: The best auction.
Speaker 1: I come into our lives in a myriad ways, you know, like how did this part come about?
Speaker 5: They sent you the scrap.
Speaker 3: It was an offer, which was so kind of I mean, I've done you know, plenty of like serious regular television and films, but I was i'd had my kids. I really pulled back a lot. They were a lot younger because this was twenty and seventeen. Think we shut it in. I wrote this down, we filmed it in sixteen, it came out in seventeen, and I yeah, it was an offer, which usually at this point means someone dropped out. They were just really looking for me and wanting me. And I'd never done I'd never done a law in order, period, and it's such a rite of passage for you know, as you know a lot of Broadway actors and New York actors, and I felt weirdly left out, like tradition. And so when it came up and it was an offer, I was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Done, done? I want to I want to do it just so I can say I've done it. And then I learned that it was the four hundredth episode of the entire series. Marishka not only stars in it and produces, she was going to direct. So it had all these incredible elements. And then the character I mean, we'll talk about the character that was that was yeah, I mean what was I going to say? No? No? It was like a gift, right, And I was nervous because it's such a you know, iconic show, and at that point it had been on for I wrote this down eighteen years already, and that was almost ten years ago. I don't even know what episode they're.
Speaker 5: Up there on season twenty seven and now, so.
Speaker 1: I don't even know the seas ago or that was ten nine seasons ago, nine seasons ago, like they're going to start season twenty eight in the fall.
Speaker 3: It's just incredible, Ye to have that it's a thing and that it's it's been such a big part of so many lives for so long. And Mariushka, I mean, just wow, what a powerhouse. And I stayed friends with her. We actually have a very good friend in common, and I saw her last year at the lunch we had for our friend. And you know, when you know someone a bit personally, but you've worked with them a long time ago, and you never expect, especially someone to remember you or you know, she's done just how many like a thousand now, I mean, what how many episodes? It's just and so many actors, so many actors have repeated characters, so.
Speaker 1: Uh, and you're like, this part is like really Like when I was rewatching it, I was like, you're in like almost every single scene. Like there's a lot of big guest roles where they don't come on until they become like the suspect halfway through, you know, and then they get a good second half of the episode. But you're like from the opening, the call open through the end, you're all over it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was intense and it was hard. You know. Sometimes I've been a guest on a lot of New York shows and I've done. I've been a series regular shows, I've been in films. It's a very unique thing to step onto someone else's set and as a guest, and a lot of shows you expect it's a well oiled machine, especially like procedural type dramas, And you know, I had that sort of in the back of my head, like oh, it's been on forever, and not that you would ever phone it in, but just that thing of like there's a formula and it's been around forever, and there's going to be a certain dance that they all know the choreography too, and you step in and you just kind of do your job. What I didn't expect was Marishka's intense passion and heart and how seriously she took it, Like really, I was quite blown away with that. Oh you know what I was going to say. I ran into her at lunch. Oh yeah, last year and I was like, do you remember that I did that episode? Like and it was And she looked at me and she was like, Sarah, you saved me. What do you mean do I remember? And I couldn't. I was stunned, And I don't know if it was the four hundredth episode. It was well, no, no, I don't know if that's what she was remembering, you know that it was the significant and also Dick Wolf came and Dick Wolf they had like a cake one day, and he's revered. I mean it's like there's Gandhi and there's Nelson Mandela and then there's Dick Wolf of the you know, and they were all sort of like he was coming into town, like getting off his I think he lives on some island off a Malibu or something. That's how they were, you know, like God was going to show up and I don't. And it got a lot of For whatever reason, I was thrilled and that she remembered me and she remembered details about it.
Speaker 1: And when she said, like you saved me, was she like because she had maybe just started directing episodes or something to.
Speaker 3: Remember I think I was just on cloud nine as a human and an actor that that she had such a recall, Uh, you know for this show that has been going on for so long and that has that thing where there's the beginning and there's the victim and then you find out what happens, and maybe you know, for a woman to be the to be the the perpetrator. That the what's the word I'm looking for? The you know, when you go after it became the predator starting out as the victim. Uh that was maybe what she remembered, or maybe I was just fucking fantastic. I was fan fucking I was so fucking good. I think I lost play dates. I lost playdates, Oh my god. Only not only did it was I a predator of children. I threw my own son under the bus. And you know, when this, when this came out, I had mom friends, one in particular, who was like, how could you have played that? Stop? How could you have played that part? And I was kind of like did one of those like, well, what I should have said is like I was fucking acting. Yeah, job, it was. It was like I was playing. I also played assassins and drug adds.
Speaker 1: Right, and somebody who does something so bad to their mother and to or to their own child and to other children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it hits very different from it. Look, we all, you know, are dealing with life and you know where where where things go.
Speaker 1: Yes, but actors play Nazis and dictators and yes, psychopaths every day, Like you have to do that also.
Speaker 3: Like leaders and yeah, princesses and believe it, I'm not. I'm not those things either. But it was interesting. And the other thing it was, wow, quite something was the last day of filming, we did the can we say rape?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay? And and when someone dies, are they undead or were they.
Speaker 5: This is just this isn't TikTok. You could just say whatever.
Speaker 3: You want, okay, because I don't want to be canceled last day. Uh So we filmed that on the last day of my uh of the of the episode was the beginning the rap. We're in the Brownstone and I showed up to work and this happened to be it's very early where trailers are on the street because it was the location. We were out of the studio at that point. And the night before the guy in the White House right now, oh god, it was the daft of the election, and you can imagine showing up to that set a show that is about sexual assault, sexual assault victims survivors. Rishka had started her Joyful how Heart Foundation years before then, twenty sixteen, and it was a dark dark day for New York for I mean, you know, I remember, and we were all in shock. You know, it was just sort of like what I know, we're going to wake up from this. It was a joke, like, no, she's one. I remember going into the makeup trailer, Kelly Giddish was crying with the hair and makeup department and Marishka as the star of the show, as the executive producer and the director had to rally us to get through the day. And I don't know how she did it because it was heavy, heavy stuff, and she did and it took a lot out of her. I'm sure you know the uh pussy grabber in chief that was now that Yeah, and it's again, uh and here we are about to shoot someone being raped. She was ending the rape Kid backlog going to Washington. Uh.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a lot, uh and maybe that's why it was memorable for her. It certainly see it in my brain as a as a watershed moment. I don't know if that's uh the word, but yeah, it was. It was. Uh that was heavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely like uh, I mean, I remember I was in an acting class in LA when everybody was crying, Like everyone was like, it's a.
Speaker 3: Where you can remember kind of where you were moment.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like, I don't know how you get everybody back on track to like do their best work.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure if anyone can do it.
Speaker 1: It's Marishka wondering when you're playing her, like does she believe it what she's saying?
Speaker 5: Well, that's she lying, Like.
Speaker 3: What is That's a good question. So I it was hard. And another moment I had on set was when we got to the courtroom stuff, when I'd been arrested and the case was happening and my son was in the you know what are they called the you know, the chairs, the pews where people sitting court, the galley, you know, thank you, the galley. Uh is in the I want to say audience, like it's a theater. And it was because I'm an actor and uh. Delaney Williams played Buchan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've had a pot.
Speaker 3: I became we became friends from this and we follow each other on social He was like my work crush.
Speaker 5: I just loved we were his first podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh really, he's funny, he's awesome. I just adore him. And Jenniston was the judge and we sort of, you know, hit it off, and we follow each other now and I remember, yeah, I'm sitting there trying to get into a character. And I was kind of mid midway through the or a little earlier, and I knew I had a lot to get through, right because it's I'm on the stand, I get cross examined and side examined and you know all the rest of it. And Marisha came over and she said, thanks for learning your lines. You know, great keV. Good weekend. And I said, yeah, yeah, it was great. I said, you know, it's just it's so weird, you know, playing this character. She's just she's so awful, and you know, she's just like, how could someone do that? And she looked at me, dead in the eyes, and I don't know where my CA memories because I kind of isn't that green light? She said, Sarah, you cannot judge your character. If you judge your character, you're dead. You're dead. And I'll never forget she did that. She's like, you're dead, You're dead. And I was like, I was scared of her. I was actually really scared of the way she said it. And I realized that if I do judge my character, she said, you think you think everything you're doing is right, You think you are helping these people. You believe you are that diabolical and I realize I have to actually do a really good job now and it's going to hurt. And it hurt, like when she said that, it like, and the rest of the day hurt. And as an actor, you want to feel uncomfortable because that's where you know you do a good job. And I was really really uncomfortable and it was really hard and I have a really hard time on that day. But she required a performance that she had that she deserved as the actress, producer, director, and she had earned that from all her actors, and it was very for me as an actor to have that like like that. You just I just I never forgot it. And I've worked with great directors and but that was something I'll never forget that If I judge my character dead, you're dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You also had a really cool back and forth with Marishka, and you have this line read where you're like, don't you presume what's good?
Speaker 5: Like you guys had such.
Speaker 3: A fun my son.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is some fun scenes.
Speaker 3: The spot with her is an actor's dream and and it's scary, you know, it's I'm not done scary things uh, I, you know, worked with a lot of scary people, frankly on an off camera, and it's you really feel I remember being exhausted. I do remember that, and I was ten years younger than I am now and I just at the end of those days just ough being absolutely spent. So there's stuff that happened during the rape scene that I want to recall. And there's also stuff that we had a screening after the Muska hosted at the what's the hotel that has the screening room. It's not the Crosby Street Hotel. It's the whole house has a screening room, not soho house. It's is that the Crosby Street Hotel? Anyway, That's where it was, and a whole lot of it was small. It was intimates of the cast and crew, and they did a thing for four hundred anniversary. I got these pictures because I'm in the poster, and and that was really nice. And she got up and taught, you know, sort of did a welcome speech, and it was very passionate, and there were tears and it was like, you think she'd be so tired by now, really tired. I mean, you know what, she doesn't need the money. She doesn't need the she we need her, and she she kind of and again this was ten years ago, but this was a four hundredth episode. She has so much passion for victims and storytelling and New York and.
Speaker 5: An actors love actors.
Speaker 3: She loves actors. And so she's, you know, started to talk and there was a glitch in the in the getting the show started on the projector or whatever, and so she just started talking more and more and then she's like, and here we are, and we just like we've been doing this long, but we just keep going and we just keep going and going, and we just we just keep going. And I remember saying, and then we just and now I'm going to just keep going and going. And then it started dud and then we all sat down and watched it. But it was so joyful and I felt like I was a part of an incredible moment in celebration for the show and the franchise and the and uh and for her, you know, joyful, joyful heart. I don't even know if she's still doing it.
Speaker 1: She does, I mean, she actually has this project called and the Backlog that just got back. Rape Kit legislation passed in all fifty states recently she had remembered. So she's literally like, I don't know if there's like another actor that's like besides just throwing money at stuff, that's like doing stuff as actively as she is.
Speaker 3: You know, she shows up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how was being on twenty four? Tell us about the show you were on?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 5: It was. It was a sensation.
Speaker 3: It was a sensation. It changed the world.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was so because everything's old as new again. I'm really appreciating like being on a show like that and how groundbreaking I guess it was. And people started binging it like with their kids during COVID. It was one of those shows that you know, they were reliving, you know, this show twenty four. And I had friends that we like, you were on twenty four? How come you never mentioned that? And we just had the last year. I want to say, oh, we had the twentieth twenty fourths, No, I think it was the twenty fourth. That's what made it significant anniversary. And we did these like this podcast party for not a podcast party, you know, something like this where they there's a charity and there were all these different what do you call it? I'm so fifty five years old time. No, but it was all remote, so just like, yeah, and Keifer did it, and the creators and you know, they had us all on and different, you know, we'd peel off with different directors and different and it was amazing. And Annie was Washing was on it, and I remember I did a talk with her and she passed away a couple of years ago, and she was one of Jack's you know, red hair big you know, love interests, and and I just fangled so hard on her because I just think she was such an incredible actress and such a great beauty. So uh so it was it was interesting, and we raised money for a company that does cleft palette surgeries for children. Uh and and yeah, it was great. It was great being on a show like that. It's uh, it's now, it's kind of cool, you know. To at the time, it was just a lot of work. People didn't like me on that show, like the fans did not like me. And I don't remember why. I think, oh, because the wife had died. Key first, Jack Bower's wife had died the year before the season before, like in the last episode, and I came in the first episode of the new season, poised to be the new love interest.
Speaker 4: And it's too soon.
Speaker 3: Even though time has part, it's just the new day. And within twenty four hours they wanted me and kay Ford to meet. He rescues me, I rescue him, I get kidnapped, We fall in love. I save his life, he saves mine, and like in a day, come on. Like it was a stretch, So I totally understood. And the Leslie who played his wife, who's become a fantastic, brilliant director. People loved her so so it was my first experience hearing secondhand that, yeah, the fans don't like you.
Speaker 1: Well, I read your article in Vanity Fair that you wrote a couple of years ago about postpartum psychosis. I thought it was really wonderful that you wrote something like that, and that is such a common thing that I think people don't talk about at all. Like I had a friend who had what we thought was postpartum anxiety. But it describes exactly what you were talking about that and I was like, oh, nobody talks about that. They just talk about postpartum depression. But that it looks very different from this, you.
Speaker 3: Know it there's like levels of And I had to learn this because I didn't you know, I didn't realize I had postpartum depression because I didn't The idea is that if you have postpartum you want to kill your babies, and that's what I thought. It was like, if you have postpartum depression you want to harm your child or you don't want to be near it. You're just like yeah, Like I couldn't get enough of them. I was so worried, you know, I pushed out these twins that were in the NICU, and I learned way after the fact that there's baby blues, there's postpartum depression, and then there's postpartum with psychosis. And that's what I had, like the worst kind. I was hospitalized and then I sort of years later, I wrote this letter like a love letter to my girlfriend's about their support of me, and one of them is a movie producer and she's like, this is a movie. I'm like, oh, I don't want to make a movie about this. I've I lived it, and that sort of became I became an unofficial advocate for But.
Speaker 5: It's become a movie right with Amanda?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, it's that's where it gets confusing. It's not I executive produced that movie with my friend. It's a story about a woman with postpartum it's not my story. And what got confusing was my girlfriend, Selene Ratre's a award nominated, winning she works with Chudy Styler and Maven Pictures, and she when she read my piece, she said this has to be a movie. And I said, I can't do a movie. And she said, well, I'm going to find a story about postpartum depression. And so she found this script by Amy Oh bloody hell, it'll come to me, and that became the movie starring Amanda Seyfried. But because then I'd written this article and it came out in Vanity Fair not after, not long after the movie had come out, people thought, oh, that's my story. And Amanda dies, like her character dies, and it's definitely not my story. It like a really bad cautionary tale. Mine. I'm alive. I didn't die, thank God.
Speaker 5: A mouthful of air is what this was. A mouthful of air.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful, beautiful a writer director Amy Koppleman, who's fantastic, And we became close way after the movie because I when I was.
Speaker 3: Doing press for this, you know this article I'd written and it got a lot of attention, and my ego was huge because I'd never written anything before and it got it got published by Vanity Fair magazine, and I like, it's a dream. I was on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine like twenty years before, in the Young Hollywood issue, and that was the big moment in my life. I didn't think I'd be like written up in it that I'd written all those years later. It was like, like, I'm looking up let's cover. I want to see it. Oh my god, Well I'm in the gatefold apparently.
Speaker 5: The same everyone's opening it. Everyone's I don't want this one.
Speaker 3: It's It was in two thousand, two thousand, two thousand. It was so it was it was Mina Savari, it was, uh, who's the Spanish actress. She's a Penelope Cruise, Mina Safari. Uh, it was Annielibavit shot at We're on a Green Lawn. It was like splendor and it was the year two thousand.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you look so good.
Speaker 1: Oh Paul Walker, Selma Blair walking exact crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was so much fun. I mean, I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: And then for people or is everyone just flirty? Was it a flirty time, flirty fun the young hollywoods.
Speaker 3: I was kind of was I like twenties in two thousand? I was okay, so I was thirty. It wasn't like you know, and I was in a relationship. I wasn't flirting. I was just very excited to you know, be there. And even though we all lived in LA they wanted to do this thing in Miami Beach. That was we ended up on a green lawn we could have done in like Studio Citio, so truly and everyone flew it. But it was kind of like a full circle, like being doing that and then the article coming out and wow, yeah, and it opened up a big conversation for me with other people who were like me too, I had it, or you know, my neighbor had it, or my sister had It's.
Speaker 1: It's great because like a lot of people, I think, you know, I've had kids pretty recently.
Speaker 3: I have a five, and a four and a seven almost five.
Speaker 1: And like they ask you these they give you these at the pediatrician. They give you these forms that are like, are you having any bad thoughts or whatever? And it's very like generic. And I've had a lot of friends that are like, I had no idea. I was really really like I had really bad postpartum. I was like, did do you happen to get take those surveys at the doctor? They're like they were so they were so vague that I was like, this doesn't really hit on specifically what.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking, which is that I need.
Speaker 1: To watch my baby sleep all night or they won't they'll stop breathing. You know, like that doesn't necessarily they don't ask that question on the survey, and so you don't know. And so I think there's just like a lot of and you don't really go back to your OBG y n so there's not a lot of postpartum unless you have complications or whatever. You you don't really go back until your next annual, right, So.
Speaker 3: What, No, it's it's so that's why it's so often missed.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember I went to my O BG y n H for an appointment like to it was maybe two weeks a week whatever it was, and I and I remember looking him in the eye and I said, he said, how are you doing? I said, I'm not okay. I'm not okay. I can't drive, I don't know how to I think I'm really not okay. And he handed me this pamphlet. He said, here's some reading material of like who to Call? And I looked at it and I couldn't It might as well have been written in Russian. I And then I walked out and I went to the receptionist and I said, I just saw the doctor and I just I'm I'm not okay. I think I'm really not okay. And she said, oh, he just talks to people like that. And so I kind of felt like I was failed twice. Yeah, in my opinion, you know, And granted this was twenty fifteen, but still like I as a new mom to a doctor. Yeah, and this is New York City. These are the finest doctors in the world, New York Presbyterian. It shocks me that they let me leave the office without calling somebody. And so it took some of my friends, you know, who saw me rapidly get worse and worse and worse, like to have an intervention and say, we think you need help, and I was like, no, I don't. I don't want to kill my babies, and you know, blah blah blaha, YadA, YadA, YadA, YadA. I'm obviously I recovered, and it's a depression you can recover from that. It's yeah, if I can do anything to bring more attention to it, I will, well, you know, oh god, okay, so what time is it? Two twenty four? It's a sick so I better go. Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Sarah.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't just play a mom a bad moment.
Speaker 5: I have been in real life. Oh man, she was fun.
Speaker 2: She was great, and I can't believe I didn't clock the sex and the city of it all.
Speaker 1: And like the fact that we got to talk to her. To me, I'll hold dear in my heart for years to come. And she sent us all these behind the scenes photos from that she was read. We will post those on our insta. So, and I love that you were worried.
Speaker 4: At first.
Speaker 2: I loved her being like and I remember nothing, and you were like, well, great, and then she went except I remember every detail from this. I was like the greatest, the greatest gift, Like, yeah, I just love that she was to me secret Australian and that she has had such like a varied career and then she had this like great experience and obviously really connected with Marishka and everybody at SVU, And I thought she played a very good narcissist psycho and it's.
Speaker 5: Just like the depths of darkness.
Speaker 2: But obviously we knew she was dark because she was willing to let her son shoot his best friend for the fair, not to get out and her crimes, So it's not as shocking that then she would tell everyone that her son.
Speaker 5: Was jerking off to it and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, it is wild that there are people like that around.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she didn't know so well.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she never thought in a million years that her gun averse, whiny son was going to actually get landa kill shot, like on one shot and kill this kid. But she certainly didn't have to make up that the son stood in the doorway and watch the mad sect while we jerked off, Like she definitely added some details that to further traumatize her son.
Speaker 2: And this happens all the time, and it's something that like an episode we're going to cover again. But this idea of when then they're like, well they seduced me, and who said it?
Speaker 1: Where it's like it's the adult's job to say no, was it? Sarah said like it's like.
Speaker 2: The kid can like try and try as much as they want, like you're the adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same as they can want the games or candy or anything else.
Speaker 5: Like it's your job to say.
Speaker 2: No, like we all thought our swim coach was hot, right, or let's say this or that. But it's like it's their job to not get like be taken by the flirting. It's a bunch of hormonal kids, Like it doesn't matter what they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's basically your job to not be like sort of.
Speaker 4: And the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that the pair and her being like well, you know, they're bad upbringing, and it's like those rich loving black people, like what are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Like she's full super spar you know.
Speaker 2: It's just like that kind of assumption of like, well he must be the scholarship, that element of it all that she probably believed that people would believe he's an aggressor and used that because she is smart.
Speaker 5: That's what the ex husband said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so like, yeah, I sort of wonder how these things would go, Like what happens if the kid never takes out the gun but he just sees his mom doing that, or he never he never like kills him, right, But he sees his mom doing that and like, I wonder how she would have covered it up with her son, you know, she would have figured.
Speaker 2: Out to wait a minute time so they Yeah, I wonder if she, like if he would cut his friend out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like she's doing it to more than one kid at the school, like like bitch, she just thinks she can get away with it. Like it's like she's like all the men we talk about on the show all the time, you know. But and then of course, yeah, the real life stories these teachers, I don't get it. And a therapist is so we've I mean, we had another episode about a therapist doing this and like it's so that's so sinister to me because it's like you are using like your skills that you've learned to manipulate somebody, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Caleb said this on a podcast, but he's like the most deeply deranged, like sick people you know, are like I think I'm going to become a therapist.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've said that.
Speaker 1: Like literally every friend I've had that is like a little bit cuckoo is like I'm going to become a therapist.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go to therapy.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wow, And the people with the worst lives I've seen are life coaches.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, I don't know any like that. Many life coaches personally like friends, siblings and stuff, but it always feels like it's something someone's doing sort of on the side. Yeah, I want a full time life coach. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't want that to be if you're good enough to be a life coach, it should be your life, like it should be your whole life.
Speaker 5: To be my life coach if you want to be my life coach.
Speaker 2: Okay, But also it does suck because like when Casey sent us the photos from the crime, I was like, the teacher is hot.
Speaker 1: She's like really hot. The photo is hot, and it's like yeah, like it's you're the adult. Yeah, you're the adult. The boys can have crushes on you like that is that is fine?
Speaker 5: There's so many more of these.
Speaker 1: There's in the SV universe too, Like there's we and we did the one for mother, right, wasn't that the one.
Speaker 2: With John Abraham's Yes, but that's that's that's psychologists. Because I'm thinking hot teacher, that's Betty yes, beIN but but I'm thinking I'm putting teacher. I'm putting female teacher therapists in the same Betty Gilpin. And then there's Catfishing Teacher with the woman from but I think that ends up being that she.
Speaker 3: Was attacked in Catfishing Teacher.
Speaker 1: Heart yeah, oh no, no, no, Melissa Jonehart's in a different one. It's not called cat fishing teacher, which is no because she has like Catholic stuff too, and her husband's mad that she got raped and her husband in the episode used to date my friend for a long time and I hung out with him all the time.
Speaker 5: Melissa Joan Art SVU.
Speaker 3: Which one is that one called impulsives? It is?
Speaker 1: Is that it impulsive? You're right, Wow, I've never heard that. And then which one had a tumor. There's also a teacher who had a tumor in her head and that's why she was doing it the tumor.
Speaker 5: We did that one so early on. It's just a lot s Fu's really like upset about this.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what's even crazy, Like I did this the heated rivalry PowerPoint on all my obsessions, and I touched on some of the other ones, and it's like I didn't even mention SVU. That's how sick it is. It was called sorry, well, that's like this really sexual title.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I remember being like, that's weird. They she just names something ballgag, Like what the fuck are they.
Speaker 5: Doing up to? Really doing so? True?
Speaker 2: Honestly, maybe I'll wait stage door for Murushka. Who gives a fuck? I'm going I have a fund no. But I have so much stuff for her to sign. I would never mention the podcast. I would just be just a loose fan. But I have so many postcards with her on them. I have so much artwork. I have her People magazine. I could actually get something real signed. She might only be doing playbills. Only Michael Seahall did that for Hedwig, but you never know.
Speaker 3: Who knows. Uh.
Speaker 5: The listener who saw it had.
Speaker 3: Pictures with her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, let me see one of them. A couple have seen it, but one sentence pictures. Okay, let's move on to our what would Sister Peg do? Everybody knows this is our weekly segment where we direct you to an organization, a book, an article, something to give you more information about what we talked about today. And this week we wanted to put you to an article on healthline dot com titled twelve Signs of Narcissistic Abuse Syndrome and how to Get Help.
Speaker 5: It goes through a very.
Speaker 1: Helpful and descriptive list of behaviors that are indicative of a narcissist because I know people throw that around a lot, but it is like an actual diagnosis, and the article gets into narcissistic manipulation tactics.
Speaker 3: So if you think you or a loved one.
Speaker 1: Is a victim of a narcissisistic person, check this article out healthline dot com linked in our show notes.
Speaker 5: It will be posted and linked in our stories the.
Speaker 1: Day this episode comes out, and our stories are all saved. Our wr what was this repectors are all saved in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page, which.
Speaker 3: Is That's Messed Up Pod.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, And next week we'll be doing I would say one of the Hall of Famers Angels season four, episode six d a dark.
Speaker 3: Dark, dark, but like it's dark in.
Speaker 1: Subject matter, but because of the acting there is like a lightness in like they're at a squash court, you know what, Andy, Yeah, the next week is dark as fuck child rape to the Max, but it's fun.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have fun.
Speaker 5: Please don't clip that. Yeah, don't clip that. See you next week. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 5: If you have.
Speaker 1: Compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Danielle Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun Dun