Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home, y'all, this is Solo pod Day. I'm your host, Angela Rye from Native Lampod and I am elated to be sharing space today with someone who is like a little brother to me. Is doing fantastic work that I will get to in just a moment. I want to tell you that we are in a unique time in our nation's history, and so much of what we have considered normal for some time, considering issues of race, race, racial justice, all of these things are now you know, looked upon poorly, and in an era like that, it is important to find the folks among us who I will say not on my watch. I'm going to hold the line. I'm going to ensure that people understand our history, they understand what it takes for us to be able to survive in an era where black people are losing their jobs left and right. That good government job that was so safe for so long, the very jobs that many of our uncles and aunts and parents told us to go get are no longer safe. In the federal government and in some ways on the state level. And so what we have to do in these moments is to look at data. There was a point where you could go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which is an official federal government entity. But now Donald Trump has essentially gutted the Bureau of Labor Statistics. When was the last time y'all heard about unemployment rates? Right? So a person who has to provide and build out a narrative that things are so good cannot stand to stare data in the face. So as y'all are going to the runs because you can't even need to let us right now, and as people who you love are fighting for their very lives, and is now RFK says that maybe kids should actually get a measles vaccination. Is important for us to clean steadfast to truth. And that is why it is so important to me to bring to the States today doctor Wes Bellamy, who is the executive director of the John Mercer Langston Institute for African American Political Leadership, and he is also my brother, and he's also why are you not a professor, Associate professor? We need to talk about that a political science and public administration like Virginia State University. I wanted to let me that's my first question, and then I'm gonna talk about the report. He has a report, y'all though, called the Economic State of Black Men and Boys in the United States. But why are you not a professor professor who I got to write to start associate professor?
Speaker 2: You have assistant professor, associate professor, a tenure.
Speaker 3: That like it's all just a time. Why are you not a tenured I chose not to be tenured. I'm full full professor, I got full professorship.
Speaker 1: I want you to be a tenured No.
Speaker 2: I want to be able to go when I need to go, but I don't plan on going nowhere anytime.
Speaker 3: Still, let me be clear.
Speaker 1: I love you, better be careful, layd. Let me let's get into this report because this boy is on here talking big trash.
Speaker 3: Let's go. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Wes is an associate professor for his freedom, but that's just for the freedom and liberation of black people. He is not going anywhere. He loves the students at Virginia State University. I've seen it firsthand. I don't even have my earrings on. That is so route anyway. Okay, So the economic state of Black men and boys in the United States. The reason why I appreciate this report right now is we spent a lot of time WES talking about how black women have been impacted by this administration. You know firsthand that even in the last election cycle in twenty four there was a lot of discussion about black men feeling unseen, unheard by every political party and everything in between. Talk about why a report like this was so important in this hour right now.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly what you said, I mean.
Speaker 2: We were able to be able to conduct nearly ten thousand conversations. Study points engagement was black men across the country, and one of the things that was consistent was brothers feeling is that they've been left out, Others feeling as if no one cares about what they have to say and whatnot, and really just an act of despair. And what we really wanted to do with this report would show that while it is indeed bleak, it's important for.
Speaker 3: Us to know the data, for us to be able.
Speaker 2: To then make informed decisions based on the data, not in you window, not what I think, not maybe what I heard, but the facts are the facts.
Speaker 3: And when we look at again like small things. Six not small thing.
Speaker 2: But when you have six hundred and fifty thousand black men who were unemployed became unemployed between quarter one and twenty twenty five and quarter one of twenty twenty six, and that number is nearly a million persons for black women, six hundred and fifty thousand black men, that's nothing small or that's nothing for us to laugh about it pretend is if it's not a major thing when you look at it. In the month of April of twenty twenty six, black male unemployment rate was at nearly seven point four percent, damn near astronomical numbers, and it came down a little bit to June and we're a six point six percent, but that's still crazy. And it's the highest ployment rate of any of the four major subgroups. So you know, black men are really in a state of despair, and it's important for us to talk about it so that again we can find tangible solutions based on strategy from the data, not again things that we think need to happen, but allow the data to make us, to allow us to make data unformed decisions.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this too. So one thing that struck me looking at this report is you talk about the economic state of black men and boys. Oftentimes, when we talk about black economic power, it is narrowly through the lens of our buying power. So people are like, oh, we're over two point one trillion dollars power, right, But why is it with other communities they don't talk about their economic power and how much they're willing to spend. What do you hope that by releasing this report we can do in shifting that narrative as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a couple of things. One that we're not regulated solely to what we can do for others, i e. Buying We have to look at the educational aspect and where we are. I mean, seventeen percent of African Americans as a whole, that's both men and women included, are only reading it a seventeen percent reading proficiency rate in the fourth grade.
Speaker 3: That means that we got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: When again you look at black males at HBCUs and rolled in colleges, we're only twenty six percent of the enrollment share. At pwi's we're only holding around twenty eight to twenty nine percent of the enrollment share. So again we want to shift the conversation solely from where we are economically to also what we're looking at from a housing perspective, from an educational perspective, from a health perspective. But we know all of those things are impact ors because me your economics are impacted by all of those other items. So if you can't get a job, you obviously aren't going to have any money. If you can't read, then that's going to limit you in terms of your buying power. That's going to limit you in terms of the wealth that you're.
Speaker 3: Able to create.
Speaker 2: If you don't have access to housing, then that too is going to impact your economics. So we used we used through this report kind of economics as the hook, but we talk about a wide variety of other factors that are playing the role in black men feeling as if they are being forgotten. But all is not lost, and I know we'll get to the solutions to some of the priorities if you will, But there there are there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we just have to continue to put our boots on the ground and get to work.
Speaker 1: Given your background in political science, why is it important to bring data into conversations around policy. I'm thinking in particular, you know, you're in a very interesting state, one that people would say it flipped blue. I was familiar with Abigail Spamberger's politics before she ran for governor. Yeah, she worked. She was in the House, always voting on bills that she shouldn't. But I guess my question would be, what would you your highest hope be when you think about how the governor and her administration could utilize this data. What's your highest hope for you know, local governments, some of our friends who with the African American Mayors Association. As a former elected official yourself, how do you want to see this data used to move the needle for Black men and boys?
Speaker 2: So two things specifically, I want every state to adopt a commission for African American Boys and young men and then allow them to and we can work with them in any capacity in which when we've got a whole research team, we all need to do a state by state state of economic for Black men and boys in each state and again and recognize that there is a dire need across all fifty states.
Speaker 3: So that's the first thing we want.
Speaker 2: An African American Commission for Black Boys and Men, excuse me, a commission for Black boys and men in all fifty states. And then secondly on a local level, and this can also play into the state level. Put on a local level, we want dedicated strategies on the K twelve level, so that means reading interventionists. And some folks will say, well, hey, we're already doing these things. Title I schools receive federal dollars. There are reading interventionists in each school. We're trying to do the best job that we can. We need more people. Well, that's where the state comes in terms of providing additional resources so that we again can have dedicated strategies to Black boys and men. So that's when the K twelve level early elementary we want to see again more riding interventionists for black boys. From a local municipality level, we would like to see a pathways program be developed in areas in which there are industry Not every municipality has access to a plumbing and trade school or some kind of workforce development that are a carpentry school or something of that nature, but there are other trades in which can be taught. So that means that can we develop and have a municipality pay for young men, black men specifically to go to barber school. Can we have them pay to get customer service trades things of that nature like certificates rather than things of that nature. So we want to see a dedicated workforce plan being implemented in each municipality. And then when we look at from an institutional level, we would like to see our community colleges have a dedicated strategy for Black men and boys, Our state institutions, whether you're a PWY or HBCU, have a dedicated strategy for black men and boys, and our private institutions have a dedicated strategy for black men and boys. Again, we want this data to allow these institutions, whether that's a college, community college, trade school, local government, state government, because there are all institutions as a whole. We want the data to allow these institutions to make informed decisions specific for their population. Where I live, and I'll stop with this, but where I live in Charlottesville, Virginia, nearly twenty seven percent of our population lives below the poverty line.
Speaker 3: We have some data that has been recently released.
Speaker 2: It says eighteen percent of black men and boys who live in Charlottesville and Albamar County for that matter, are homeless. So that means like homeless can be identified as you know, broh, you sleeping on the couch, your homeboy, or just being candid, you going from chick to chick. You kicking it with this one, you're kicking it with that one because you can't go back to your mom house. In many ways, we identify all of that as homelessness. And brothers were trying to get you mentally right. We're trying to get you emotionally right, and then also we want to get you fiscally right so that you can take care of yourself and your family in the future and then subsequently give back to our community. So that's why, like again, this data, there's a ton of information in it, but we're hoping that individuals read the report and not just take this as a woe as me kind of thing, but let's use it to go and make informed decisions.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's kind of this this other part of this like around data right now. I talked about it in this intro too. We have a president that runs from it instead of dealing with the what it actually says. I don't know if you all and I didn't get to see this in the report, but I don't know if you all have anything on this, but there has been this heightened fascination with trade school for young black men.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You you are a sitting college professor, so I know you might have a slight bias here. Will acknowledge the bias sitting there to bow tie on. You know he's an elected official. Very well, it is, Doctor Wes Bellabie's.
Speaker 3: Usually not even a dressed like this.
Speaker 1: You caught me on a goodness, it's all right. But the point is, Wes, do you think that, like, where do you think that's coming from pushing young men to trade school? Is it true that there are not enough opportunities for folks who are attaining college degrees? What is the push to trade school? Is their data on that that you've seen.
Speaker 2: So what we saw was that there wasn't conclusive data that we felt comfortable putting it in the report stating that black men and boys were going to trade school and large droves. There also was a different set of barriers as people were trying to push these young men in the trade schools that were not necessarily taken into account. Some of the things that we found in preliminary ports were this one when brothers go to trade school, there's an associated cost with entering into the school if there isn't a pathway program sponsored by some entity, So you're going to have to pay to go to the trade school.
Speaker 3: The trade schools usually do not pay our young men while.
Speaker 2: They're in the school, so that means that you're going to have to have another source of income to sustain yourself. But we've also noticed is that after the trade school that doesn't guarantee you a job. In some instances, there have been three months as far as long as six to nine months, maybe even a year before after getting a trade of turning the trade you actually get a job. So you have to take all of that into account when we're saying, hey, you go and get this certificate or you just go to trade school, where some people may think is an expedited route that doesn't always lead to the immediate transfer of wealth or development of wealth that some people think that you're going to get. Now, another aspect of this is some folks percent I've seen in multiple comments from people who shared the report, they'll say things like, well, trade school still casts significantly less than a four year college, and I would agree with that, there's no denying that in most instances. However, what you can't quantify by going to college is the bachelor degree. The bachelor degree that many institutions, and I'm talking about workplace institutions are requiring for endo viduals to advance in terms of upper management or supervisory roles. That's still a tool that individuals who are running these systems are using to prohibit black men and boys specifically from advancing within their career. The data was clear in that regard, and that's what that's indicated within the report. These systems, if you will, don't have a barriers or excuse me, brothers don't have barriers from these systems to prohibit them from again advancing and or we saw very clearly that the highest opportunity for you to gain wealth as a black man and boy in this country is still for you to go and get a four year degree. Yes, I am biased as a college professor, but I also started I started a Pipeways the Pathway, Pipelines the Pathway program in Charlottesville when I was in office. That program is still in existence today. I prefer young men to it all the time. That doesn't mean that I'm going to tell them that you're going to make more money going into that pipeway pathway the pipeline program than you are coming to school. You may come out with more debt, but again we see over time and the data is clear, you make exponentially more money going to school go on to college than you do simply getting a trade.
Speaker 3: You ask the question, where do I think that that's coming from.
Speaker 2: I honestly think that it's a design being pushed by podcast bros, by individuals who are really just trying to lead us astray. And those brothers are both black and white, who are trying to tell us to go and do something that the data isn't showing yields the returns that many are looking for. Yeah, it may work for a small minute number, so that doesn't mean that it's going to work for everybody. And our best bet is still going to get a four year degree and then working your way up the ladder.
Speaker 3: If you will.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about the mental health impacts of some of the data you've seen, we have, like witness, I think we have no people in our families in our communities who are struggling with suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts, depression, young men finally being able to speak there and boys speaking their minds about everything that the world is putting on them, and how heavy the weight of that is. Talk about, you know, kind of what you anticipate seeing from being here's the data that says, if all of these things are happening, they are probably feeling the pressure of life. How are you seeing that being made manifest in some of the conversations y'all have for this report.
Speaker 2: Well, the fastest, I don't even want to say the fastest, but the group of persons with the highest number of suicide attempts over the last four years have been African American males. For some persons, that's a very surprising number, as a very surprising statistic rather, but it's it just is what it is. What the data shows. That's exasperated when you don't have any money, Those thoughts of suicide are exasperated. When you also feel as if that you're behind. It's exasperated when you feel as if there's no one who truly cares or understands what you're going through. It's easier for you to fall into a silo with other individuals or or sit in a silo with other individuals who identified with feeling lonely than it is to work with persons who are trying to get out of that mood because they are trying to climb the ladder, if you will.
Speaker 3: What we've seen very clearly is.
Speaker 2: That again, black men and boys are not necessarily going to college the same rate in which they were. They have a lower educational proficiency in which they've done before. Economically, they're only making seventy seven cent for every dollar that white men are making. And from a household perspective, black men are leading their households in terms of being the head of how being the breadwinners, if you will, That number is decreasing exponentially year by year. The data is very clear in that one plus one plus one plus one equals four, and we can pretty much understand and draw conclusions that when brothers feel checked out, when brothers feel as if they're left alone, when brothers feel as if this life just isn't worth living anymore, they are making decisions to take themselves away from here at a much higher rate. We are working diligently to encourage brothers not to do so. We just had a Black Male Leadership Institute on Thursday. We had fifty young men and boys between the ages of fourteen and twenty four all participate in that. I work with several groups on hundred Black Men capi fhasa Urban League, so on and so forth who are also trying to implement.
Speaker 3: Groups for support groups for young men.
Speaker 2: But again, we need these numbers so that we can develop and form strategies. I'm tired of us just throwing stuff at the wall based off of what we do think is happening.
Speaker 3: Now we have the data and now we can create a plan.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you brought up kappas you a Kappa, You brought up one hundred black men. You were in one hundred black men also brought up urbanly and I think that this is a good opportunity Wes, because we talked last week about the importance of joining and supporting our organizations, can you talk about why that also is important for young black men who are trying to find their way. I tell this story all the time about my godson was getting in trouble at school. He was six, and we went up there. You know. My cousin was like, you need to come because you're the lawyer. You's scary, like, so come on. So I went up there and we talked to them, and at the end of the meeting, west I was I was walking out and I was like, well, we're gonna call it in double ac and I was like, oh, I gotta pay my dues, you know. So it's like it's one of those moments where you're like the very organization that sometimes you know, we'll say, well, what are they doing? I don't need and understanding, well, that's old. Well and it's not just NBA said it about the National Bar got back involved in the National Bar now lifetime member of National Bar. Last year, I had never paid dues to NCNW. I love Shaban. I was like, I'm supporting that, like I'm in all of them now. But it took like it took crisis. It takes us crisis. Why would you if you were doing a PSA to these young men, like, hey, I want to make sure that y'all are tapped in, plugged in. Why are these community organizations so important to us culturally, especially in such a difficult time.
Speaker 2: I think that just as you said, when we're in trouble, those are the groups that we often look to rally support for us.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But I think it's bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily just are solely from a historical lens, because we know the work in which they've done in yesteryear and continue to do now. But I think that for black men specifically, you need a peer group, a peer group of individuals who are moving in a direction that's based around community empowerment. Now, one of the issues is that for younger black men, we don't find our peers too often in these organizations. These organizations often have older brothers, which makes it a little bit harder for younger men to find their voice, for them to find connectivity, for them to find relatability, and often when that happens, you kind of check out.
Speaker 3: So it's a two edge sword, if you will.
Speaker 2: I think that there's an obligation and absolute obligation and responsibility for us to join these organizations, and I think it's incumbent on those organizations to be more strategic in terms of how they make younger brothers feel included. I'm thirty nine, I'm not a young spring chicken anymore. I remember you saying to us and some time back, like we always say to young people, the young people, but y'all, we.
Speaker 3: Not the young people anymore.
Speaker 1: We a is not young you think that?
Speaker 3: And when you said it, I was like, dang, I mean like you're right, I serve you still.
Speaker 1: Would be in a young adult ministry at church.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would still be because I ain't forty yet. Okay, I take it.
Speaker 1: But I think even when you forty, like it feels like that bar just kind of right, yeah, like until we die.
Speaker 2: Y'all young dogs, they keep it until they gone. But I mean, I mean serious. It's like we talk about this in one hundred Black Men all the time. We've developed an emerging one hundred in which we have a few chapters across the country. But younger brothers often feel like they don't have peer circles that can help them improve their quality of life and not just go turn up, Like I don't want to talk to you about two K. I don't want to talk to you about like just going out and let's go, let's go get some chicks and let's go do a B and C. Like Nah, there's real life that we also have to be working on and we need to be talking about development as manhood. And I think these organizations can play a role in that. They should be playing a role in that. Many of them are trying to play a role in that. But we got to be able to find the bridge and in many regards, and I just don't think that that's happening at the speed in which some of us want to. That could be a technological divide, that could be just a cultural divide, or into generational divide. But I would say that these kind of divides, if you will, have been existence within our community forever. It hasn't stopped the generations before us, and the damn sure shouldn't stop us.
Speaker 3: So let's not make excuses.
Speaker 1: Let's get to work unstoppable. So we're going to make sure that we put in our show notes the link to the report, WES, what do you want people who are listening to you talking about this today, what do you want their main takeaway to be? And what is like a call to action for them? We normally end our shows a call to action cost action.
Speaker 3: So three things One we see we have in the report.
Speaker 2: There are three instances specifically that we point out or three institutions that we point out who we believe are doing really good work. In Baltimore, Maryland, shout out to Mayor Scott. They have a Pathway and Pipeway's program in which they are connecting young men directly with jobs after they go and get a certificate in trades. I firmly believe, and I think the data will show when it comes out. They don't have a direct conclusion yet because it's still relatively new, but think that has a strong correlation in the decrease in violence gun violence specifically in Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Brothers getting jobs.
Speaker 1: But that's one trade program that's working in for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure again, Okay, I think that's brothers getting jobs. Brothers can take care of themselves, Brothers have methods to de escalate when situations rise up, and then that helps decrease violence. Alabama A and M and both Morgan State University have seen increases in black mail enrollment and retention. It's one thing to have brothers come and join or come and join your school or enroll in your institution. It's another thing to retain them. Those numbers are also translating to higher graduation rates, specifically for black men. So all hope isn't lost. And I know those are two HBCUs, but we have pwis who we also have to demand to do the same thing. The other HBCUs again across the country russo demand they do the same thing. So when you ask me what's the call to action, I think again, it's encouraging your municipality. So we got to show up to city council, school board meeting and so forth to develop dedicated strategies for black men and boys. But then also collectively, brothers. Just because it's bleak right now doesn't mean it will not sun. The sun won't shine later. We love you, we believe in you, and there's much more to life than what you think is in front of you. Right now, let's go out and get to work. Let's go out and be the best versions of ourselves. And next year, in twenty twenty seven, when we publish the second edition of this report, I fully anticipate the numbers being much better than they are today because.
Speaker 3: We all going to work at it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. Thank you very much, doctor Wes Bellamy. I appreciate who is a professor for liberation, that is an associated professors but no, seriously, I'm really grateful for the work you do, and Wes, it is it's always such a dope thing to see you interact with your students because it is very clear that you make an impact on all of your students. That I also deeply appreciate the love you have for our young men because it is so so necessary in this moment. So I am very proud of you and look for.
Speaker 3: Proud of them y'all, so you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Cookie ended this interview with all them on it. But no, I am very proud of doctor Wes Bellamy, and you're gonna let us know what else we can do to make sure. So are you telling Abigail you want this commission? Did you already tell her?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: The Commission for Men and Boys is up in Virginia. Just announced it last week. Oh yes, Oh, I didn't hear you say that.
Speaker 3: Did you say that? Well, not for black men and boys, it's for men and boys.
Speaker 2: But oh, but but we have had conversations her administration and I literally just spoke yesterday.
Speaker 3: We had a very fruit conversation.
Speaker 2: There's a conference of seminar that we're going to be doing in September of working together on that. So I told her rather that working on that together. So we got some We got some positive steps that we're taking in here in Virginia and they hoping it will be a model for everyone else.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe we need to come do Native Lampard in Virginia and have Abigail on to answer why there's not a commission for black men and boys yet. I'm happy to ask the question. Abo. We got questions because we can be doing things a little bit differently here since we got to keep these people motivated to vote. They don't see if you're doing something different, they're gonna have a problem now, So come on anyway. That is charged to me, not to doctor Wes Bellamy. But I met what I said. We look forward to fellowshipping with you in Virginia West and definitely talking to the Spanburger administration about what's good. Okay, all right, we'll see, so we'll drop the Lincoln the show notes. All right, Uh, okay, y'all, this has been an incredible show. I think it's so important for us to understand, you know, really what's at stake for our kids, for our young people. Things are tough, our kids are coming up disappearing. They ended up with with sentences that are far, far, far too long, you know, getting killed on you know, graduation night by police officers. Like we really got to make some changes. So I applaud this work, and I especially applaud the idea of developing a village. I'm going to tell y'all often my point of privilege growing up the way that I did is I grew up with a true village of black folks, chosen family and actually blood related, and it's just shaped my world view. It determined what I believe I was capable of. It helped to establish confidence in me. I want every child, particularly every black child, to have that. So whatever we can do to make that happen, I know that doctor Wes Vellami will join me in that fight, and I know so many of you all who are watching and listening at home or wherever you may be, will do that as well. We always in this show and begin the show with welcome Home, and the importance of that is we want to have a sacred space for us all we deserve, that we have earned it. That is our path way a liberation. And so with that welcome Home y'all. Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reising Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visits the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.