Speaker 1: Wow, everybody, It's Thursday, February twenty sixth, twenty twenty six. Welcome to the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast.
Speaker 2: We Believe in Vitamin C.
Speaker 1: It's Me and Man MG Marcus Grand joated by Michael Florio, Kwan Jones dnp Illness rest up man.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Yeah, he you know, sent.
Speaker 1: Us a little Texas morning said he is not feeling great. So we told him to ice up son, get better and hopefully he'll be back for next week.
Speaker 2: That Floria is.
Speaker 1: The the other side of having kids, because they are germ incubators and they hang out in spaces like schools or daycares with other germ incubators. So like I remember when we first sent our son to daycare, it was almost every two weeks he was coming home with some new sniffle or virus or cold, which would inevitably cycle through the house. So you know, if you decide to walk that path, just to just know that that's what's coming for you.
Speaker 3: I will say, every time I go hang out with my niece and nephews back home and stuff, I usually get sick. And then me and Kyrie were talking before the show, Lakwan did like a quick New orleanship. I do a bunch of very quick trips because like fly back home for weddings or whatever. I get sick every time I do it. So like it was coming for him whether he liked it or not. It was just a matter of when not if.
Speaker 1: Yeah, between kids and airplanes, Yeah, it was bound to take him down. So yeah, rest up, man, drink plenty of fluids. Get invite him and seeing you. You know, rest up and I will talk to you next week. I mean time for us, the two of us still here. We're still going through our team needs. As free agency hits in about a week and a half, there's definitely some new some of the non free agent variety. Also, the combine is coming up this week. I actually didn't put any combine stuff in the in the rundown. I don't know if you want to good, Okay, good, because I don't know if you want to chat about it. But you know, I could make it a you know, an exception. But the combine is happening this week in Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: I like that more and more stuff is being like like certain teams aren't even going to this, Like it's more now kind of like for the media and.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 3: Front offices and stuff to kind of all it's kind of like the Winter Meetings is how I use the combine now, and like it's the Winter Meetings. Just occasionally someone who hopes to get drafted shows us that they're very fast or something like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think some of it is now we have guys who train specifically for the combine, and the more you do that, the more you start to realize that the drills that they do there don't necessarily translate to on field performance, you know. I mean, if you have guys who are spending their time training, for instance, for the forty, you know, those sorts of things, you know, it's kind of become overblown. I think in a lot of regards, we always have the combined hype bunnies who move up the board and don't necessarily perform once they get to the NFL.
Speaker 2: I think even the interview portion.
Speaker 1: Of it has become a little bit much with teams trying to find the weirdest, most esoteric.
Speaker 2: Questions to ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, side, what's the weirdest thing you've ever been asked in a job interview?
Speaker 2: Can you think of that.
Speaker 3: Weirdest yeah, I had the first thing that comes to mind. It's a terrible story in my mind.
Speaker 2: I they usually are.
Speaker 3: I would yeah, like right, Like, I had a first interview. It was for a to run the sports department of like a local newspaper where I'm from. And they were like, you know, so I had a really long beard, like the law I randomly post college. Was like, I'm gonna grow my beard out. And it was like eight months of just not shaving. Oh wow, and they were like, we don't really love the beard. So for the second interview, I shaved and I went in like clean, like kind of how it is now. And then they were like, you got the gig, but instead of it being full time, we're gonna make it freelance per store. And I was like, I shaved the same position I already have.
Speaker 2: Like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, that's terrible. I once had a job I interviewed. I was going to be the sports editor for kind of a local similar what you do, like kind of a local news and information website.
Speaker 2: Right. It was a kind of startup website.
Speaker 1: And the guy who was my boss, my big boss, he was above my boss, actually interviewed me and was kind of just a strange dude, and I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: He asked me, if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
Speaker 1: And I yeah, I mean the look on your face right now was sort of the I think the look. I don't I hope I didn't show it, but that's definitely the look I had inside.
Speaker 2: And I think I made up.
Speaker 1: Something like I was like I think I said like a palm tree or something, because like I can be strong, but also it can be flexible and move with the wind. I don't know, but it just the whole thing caught me off guard. I'm like, what does this have to do with.
Speaker 3: The That is a fantastic answer, though my first thought was pained because I like Christmas, like you know, like like that's a really good answer you had.
Speaker 2: I think oak came into the end of my head at some point.
Speaker 1: I was just but I really was just like taken aback by the whole thing, Like I have no idea.
Speaker 3: What that like, you're printing on trees, that's the only thing A tree kind of comes into this equation.
Speaker 2: And we were in internet companies, so when we weren't.
Speaker 1: Even doing that, you know, so I have no idea. I have no idea where that man is nowadays. I don't know that I particularly care. Uh. Anyway, we're talking AFC North teams today, as we talked some free agent fits. So we'll get through the AFC and the NFC North as we do this. But let's start with a couple of news headlines. Because in Denver, Sean Payton says he is handing over play calling duties to new offensive coordinator Davis Webb. My first thought is there hope for RJ. Harvey, But like Floya, we don't really know what this means because we have no idea what first time oh see Davis Webb is gonna be like as a play caller. So I mean, what any immediate takeaways when you hear or read this.
Speaker 3: My immediate takeaway besides what you just said of like, we don't really know what this And I spoke about this not with Davis Webb, but just like, to me, the harder, hardest situations to figure out in this is first time play callers because we especially when like there's no college or anything like that to kind of fall back on. My first thinking though was like I don't really expect this to look all that much different because Davis Webb has been a part of Sean Payton's staff the last couple of years. He quickly gained a lot of notaride this coaching cycle and was getting head coaching interviews even though he wasn't even the OC last year. Then they fired Lombardi and gave him play calling duties to keep him in Denver. To me, I think it just shows how much confidence Sean Payton has in him. I still expect a heavy Sean Payton influence, which means a lot of screen passes, a lot of slant stuff like that, So I don't expect it to look all that different. But maybe Davis Webb puts his own little twist on it. Maybe we get a little bit more aggressive throwing downfield or whatever.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: When it comes to R. J. Harvey, though, he more than anything more than play calling, I think needs to survive the draft and free agency because if they bring in someone like last year where they brought in JK. Dobbins, that could be a wet blanket. Like I think Harvey's clearly going to have a role Marcus, Like I don't expect him to completely get you surfed or something like that. But it's just a matter of how much percent of the volume can we expect for him, And if he's the clear one, obviously you feel a lot better than if they use a high pick or a good amount of money on.
Speaker 2: A running back.
Speaker 3: So with Harvey, that the personnel around him, to me, matters a whole lot more than this change at play caller.
Speaker 1: I mean, I do think even if he survives free agency and the draft and they don't really bring in another real candidate to challenge him, I think what we saw from him late in the season and in the playoffs especially, is that I don't know that he's built to be a workhorse. You know, we saw Julia McLoughlin get carries, and look, nobody was effective running the ball against the Patriots.
Speaker 2: The Broncos could not run the ball.
Speaker 1: I think some of it was because, look, the Patriots didn't respect Jared Stidham for a good reason. But you know, Harvey was not the guy when they were trying to just run him between the tackles. He could not get anything going, couldn't gain any traction. We saw them using Jalil McLoughlin a few times. I mean, that didn't really worked out. I think in a perfect world, it would have been JK. Dobbins maybe taking a few more of those carries. And so I wonder whether or not the physical limitations, you know, unless he gets bigger and stronger, spends a lot of time in the weight room this offseason to become a stronger between the tackles runner, if that sort of limits what they can do with him play calling wise. But I you know, part of me wants to see if Davis Webb wants to, you know, kick the tires on that see what they got, and a guy who can be explosive can be a big play guy. I mean, I was definitely hoping, you know, LQ was going to be here because yeah, I wanted to hear his thoughts, knowing how much he loves R. J.
Speaker 2: Harvey.
Speaker 1: But I'm just, you know, I don't know, I'd like to see more. I'd like to see, you know, maybe we get Marvin Mims more involved, or you know, Troy Franklin or Pat Bryant somebody. But I guess, but I think you're right. I think being under Sean Payton's wing for so long means that he's going to kind of be the same as it ever was.
Speaker 3: I also like RJE hard he might have to survive this summer too, right, because he survived the draft of free agency last year. And then it was like a random day in June where JK. Dobbins signed, and I remember vividly like I was at I was playing basketball and I looked at my phone and I was like, this isn't great for RJ. Harvey. And then all of the takes from Fantasy Twitter were like, if JK. Dobbins was good, he would have signed way back. And then look how it played out, so like maybe, uh, maybe we got to wait all the way until July or something.
Speaker 2: Like that for RJ. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's an interesting point too. As we hit free agency. I think when you talk about running backs, I don't know that the hole he didn't sign right away thing and necessarily is impactful anymore. I think once upon a time, yeah, if you didn't sign in the first few days, chances are people didn't really have a plan for you. But I think with the way teams sort of view the running back position now, I think you can have a guy who signs later in the offseason and still I'm in depending on the situation and have a role. And I think that's what happened with JK. Dobbins this past year over to Indianapolis speaking of the Combine that is where that's going to be held. But this is not Combine news. Yesterday, when I was putting this run down together, saw his story that said Chris Ballard can still see a future with Anthony Richardson on the Colts, and then plot twist this morning before we started doing the show, Anthony Richardson has requested a trade and appears that the Colts are going to honor that request and let him move on.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Also something that I saw just a few minutes ago we were talking a report that Richardson has regained full vision in.
Speaker 2: His right eye.
Speaker 1: So after that sort of freak fluke injury last year with the resistance band where he was hitting the face, it appears that he has made a full recovery. So that is certainly positive news. But I mean, at this point, you know, he's been three years in the NFL, has played has even played a full season was worth of games, I don't believe, So.
Speaker 2: What is the ceiling for him now?
Speaker 1: He might thought like he's sort of Trey Lance all over again. Right, but Trey Lance's even played more game. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that. I don't know, Yeah, but it feels like they're sort of on a similar, similar track right now.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree, but you know, I'm going to champion for my boy.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: I am a Anthony Richardson's stand because twofold one, when he was drafted, the knock on him was he did not have a lot of experience in college, right, he just had that one year where he was the starter. I think he threw less than four hundred passes in college. I could actually pull that up and tell you exactly how many he threw, but it's not that far off from where he's at at the NFL. Three years in so, in college he threw three hundred and ninety three pass attempts. In the NFL, he has thrown three hundred and fifty. Right, Like, this is just a guy who needs more seasoning. It always has the thing for me, though, is he's still just twenty three years old. He will be twenty four next year. That's younger than Michael Pennock Junior and Bo Nicks and these guys. Right, Like, he's still I know he was drafted a year before those guys. He's still younger. And I go back to some of the things we've seen him do on the football field, right like some of his running plays where it's just like, oh my god, he's like Cam Newton but faster, or that I still I forget. I think it was against the Titans, but that one throw he made where he had a defender in his face and he just like airmails it like sixty yards. One of the best throws I've ever seen, and all the physical tools are there. I understand that he's very raw when it comes to breaking down defenses and stuff like that. You know who else was Malik Willis the number one rated quarterback, number one rated free agent by Greg Rosenthal right now. So I think Anthony Richardson, yes, he needs he needs to go to a place where he has a coach that could kind of coach him up. Maybe maybe I don't I want him to get reps, but I don't know. Maybe they view a Malik Willis path. But Malik Willis and Kyler Murray, I will admit, you could make an argument that they have higher upside or maybe a combination of floor and upside after that, there is not a quarterback available in my opinion, that sniffs the upside of an Anthony Richardson. Maybe they're safer options, There definitely are. But if you're like, like, I don't wish this on him. I hope he goes somewhere better. But if you're like the Jets.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the one name that he's popping up, right, why not?
Speaker 3: Right? Like you're already hoping to have a high pick next year, Anthony Richardson could either be terrible and help you get that number one pick, or he can hit and you suddenly don't have to draft a quarterback because you have a very young one now with a clear cut future. So if you're them, or the Dolphins or any of these QB and needy teams that miss out on Willis, I think Anthony Richardson is a fantastic pivot.
Speaker 1: I mean that's to me, that's sort of the issue is where can he go knowing he needs reps, knowing he's got to get on the field and play. Where can he go where he can get those opportunities? And yeah, the options are sort of bleak. It's the Jets, maybe it's the Dolphins. If they feel they feel, you know, adventurous like that. They're obviously moving on from Tua, and I don't think they're any there. They're nowhere close to really being competitive like that. Seven wins last year was sort of a mirage. I said last said last year, I think they could be the worst team in the NFL. So maybe you try with Anthony Richardson and see what happens. You know, the Cardinals maybe are another option, depending on what they want to do at quarterback, unless they decide there's gonna you hand it over to Jacoby Brissette for a full year.
Speaker 2: But I don't really see that happening.
Speaker 1: But like all the other places where he could go and get reps or other bad teams, I should say they don't have options, right, I mean the Browns, Uh, well, we'll talk about the Browns in a little bit, But the Browns have.
Speaker 3: A Richardson Shadoor camp battle would break the Internet at least fantasy Twitter, but.
Speaker 1: Like not in a good way like this from a from a comedy standpoint, I think it probably would.
Speaker 2: But the Browns kind of out there own. They're kind of overloaded.
Speaker 1: With bodies at least, I don't know if they have a guy.
Speaker 2: The Titans have their guy for the time being.
Speaker 1: The Raiders are they gonna draft Fernando Mendoza, so he's not really gonna get a shot there. The Saints, you know, they've got their guy that they want to try to develop right now. And Tyler Shuck. So really, if you have the Jets, the Dolphins and maybe the Cardinals kind of the only real landing spots if he wants to get on the field.
Speaker 3: I keep operating as if Milik Willis is already a Cardinal. I just feel like that's he's gonna end up. That's happening. The Browns know that. I thought Richardson because look, I know they have a lot of bodies, but no one stands out there. Here's a wacky scenario I just thought of right now as we're discussing this, Uh, why don't we get headache for headache pick that did at first round pick that didn't work out. For first round pick that didn't work out, how about Anthony Richardson for JJ McCarthy. Right, psychn you get your chance with JJ. Now we see if you could if KAOC could get the most set of Anthony Richardson, and we just go from there.
Speaker 1: If I'm a Viking fan, I am burning everything down. If that's what happens, I'd rather Anthony Richardson personally, He's got he's got the skill set.
Speaker 2: At least he does have the skill set. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, we're gonna talk about the Vikings too, since it just sort of worked out there was there were there were AFC North and NFC North quarterback stories that popped up on my radar in the last couple of days. I was like, oh, so perfect that we're talking this division today, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can. We can revisit this a little bit later on in the show.
Speaker 1: So that's a good spot for us to stop for a minute, take a breath, come back. We'll dive into the AFC North as we talked some free agency heading up to the new league year coming about a week and a half. That's next on the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast, all right, talking some free agency and looking at the AFC North in reverse order of finish at the Browns, Bengals, Ravens, Steelers. One thing I noticed so far going through these is kind of looking at team needs. A lot of teams need wide receivers, which is wild considering the amounts of guys who've come out of that position, who've been successful in the amount of you know, players just floating around the league at that position, but still seems to be a need across the NFL.
Speaker 2: The Browns could.
Speaker 1: Use a wide receiver they've I think they could use a quarterback. Yeah, I was sort of looking at places and nobody listed quarterback.
Speaker 2: I think the Browns need a quarterback.
Speaker 1: And to wit a story recently on NFL dot Com, Brown's general manager Andrew Berry leaves the door open for Deshaun Watson to compete for a starting job. And I'm gonna ask you, Michael lef Floria, why don't I believe that is true?
Speaker 3: Because you have eyes and you pay close attention to the NFL, and you've watched Deshaun Watson ever since he's returned not be But I will say this though, right well, the reason why they're not ruling him out is because his base salary this year is forty six million dollars and his cap hit is almost eighty one million dollars. Like, yeah, they have incentive to not completely write him off.
Speaker 4: But he was kind of vocal in a way that he's allowed to be vocal, like he wasn't saying like, oh, it's all Stefanski's fault, but he was throwing a lot of breadcrumbs and point kind of fingers and saying like no one would succeed in this offense and stuff like that, like look at and I think at one point too even reference Baker Mayfield and so Maybee.
Speaker 3: The Browns are like, well with Todd Monkin here, he could get the most out of Deshaun Watson, but Todd Monkin when he got there, was most excited about Shador Sanders. So I don't envision a world where we see Deshaun Watson playing, unless like maybe Sanders gets hurt or something like that. But week one, everyone's healthy. I don't think Watson is the starting quarter. And if he is, and he looks how he has looked, I'm sorry. Browns fans are gonna be in the exact same position a year from them.
Speaker 1: Deshaun Watson has played a total of nineteen games since twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: That's it, oof, Yeah, I mean just yep.
Speaker 1: He's been obviously hurt a lot. When he has played, he has not looked good. I mean that twenty twenty season when he threw for forty eight hundred yards. That is such a distant memory now.
Speaker 3: He was so just fun to watch, not forget like good. I never saw that, like we never like he never moved like he did pre suspension ever again and now he's coming off of an achilles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just you know, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think it's the We got a lot invested in him financially, so we can't just say there's no chance of him playing. But I feel like there's really no chance of him playing because what do you have to gain by starting him if you're the Browns.
Speaker 2: I mean, right, because he's at the age he will be thirty this year.
Speaker 1: He's thirty right now, I should say, because he didn't play all him last year. Last time he played his age twenty nine season. He's thirty years old, so he's not a developmental guy. After a year off, You've got to wait for him to sort of get back into game speed, and who knows how long that's going to take. You're not really expected to compete, so there's just there's really no upside to playing Deshaun Watson unless you absolutely have to. So I guess you're just sort of paying service to this if anything, And.
Speaker 3: Remember how bad Rogers and Cousins were first year back from an Achilles.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, yeah, no, I just I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. I just saw it. I was just like, yeah, this feels like.
Speaker 1: A GM sort of paying lip service to a thing that he has to, but with no real.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, no real meaning behind it.
Speaker 1: Also, I think it's interesting, you know, him Bury leaving bread crumbs because the person he should be leaving bread crumbs for is the owner who went out and signed Deshaun Watson to this hideous contract that now has them buried under an avalanche right now in terms of the salary cap, and the Browns are six and a half million dollars over the cap at the moment.
Speaker 3: A more year they could get out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I mean but it's sort of again, it sort of hampers any sort of development. I mean, does that mean they're out in the free agent market? Is it just like we're trying to build through the draft for the time being.
Speaker 2: Is that it?
Speaker 3: I think they'll maneuver some cap around, and I just I don't think we're going to get like a huge splash out of them. It's really hard. Especially Look, I know, top quarterbacks get paid, and you hear stuff like, oh, it's hard to build. No, when you have a top quarterback and they're worth the money you pay them, it is the best thing you could have in the NFL. But when you're paying someone Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes type money and they're one of the worst, maybe the worst starter in the NFL, and then you're paying Calves owner. I didn't realize he was the Cavs owner until the other day, Miles Garrett an all time record contract, Like, yeah, you got so much cap tied up in a couple of spots that it makes it really hard to build out the rest. So I do think we'll see We'll see some like minor moves from the Browns, and then I think the draft is largely where we're going to see them get their new players for this season. But I have a feeling right like for Todd Monkin or whatever they probably were, like, look, twenty twenty six is gonna be what it is. We have to get out from under this Watson contract and then we can kind of think about rebuilding for the future. So it's probably more about getting in guys that Monkin thinks he can develop long term, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Browns have been a like the Jim Schwartz thing, Like it's just they cannot get out of their own way.
Speaker 1: I mean, bad teams stay bad for a reason, and the Browns have plenty of reasons why they have stayed bad for a long time. But also we should stop giving them high draft picks because they keep squandering them.
Speaker 2: So that's just me.
Speaker 1: Bengals mostly need things on the defensive side of the football.
Speaker 2: You know, they are set offensively.
Speaker 1: You know, they've got their quarterback, they've got their wide receivers, they've got a good running back and Chase Brown. I mean, I guess they can go look for a tight end if they wanted to. I mean, it feels like that's at least conservast offensive skill positions is maybe the only thing. But but again, I don't know, Floria, what tight end can break through that Chase Higgins duo to get significant targets at any point.
Speaker 3: The crazy thing, too, is they paid Mike Kiseki last season like he cap hit wise is in their top ten, Like it it doesn't make sense to even when they did it right, I was like, you have Tea and Chase and you're paying Burrow. You don't need to invest in a time, especially Mike Kiseki, you know. But yeah, I think if you're it's O line and defense. Like if you spend on skill positions or anything like that, it's like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: What it is? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You you have maybe the best one to two punch in the NFL. If not the best, it's what, well, the Cowboys will probably have surpassed them, but one of the best, you know. So like you're loaded on offense just and you got to replace, Like your defense was awful and you had Trey hendrickson pat Like, now you got to replace your best player on defense as well. So yeah, I think that that's got to be the focal point defense in no line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think you talk about duos wide receiver duos, you know, in no particular order. The Bengals, the Cowboys, the Rams. I'm saying this because one of us isn't here today.
Speaker 3: The Eagles, I would still put them up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Bills.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of aj Brown chatter this week. He's not leaving Philly, right, They're not they're not gonna they're gonna trade him.
Speaker 2: They're gonna let him go. He's he's staying with the Eagles.
Speaker 3: I think in an ideal world he would be gone because he wants out, and I think they're kind of getting a little tired of his Shenanigans. But uh, the dead cap would be seventy two million if they traded him this year. They got an out after this season, so I think we get one more year of aging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just you know, I feel like that's a thing that it's good to talk about it. It's content filler here in late February, but I just don't think it has any real merit to it. The Ravens could use some help at wide receiver. I feel like the Ravens probably should go big. They got they have decent cap space twenty two and a half million that they can spend. At some point, they really have to commit to helping Lamar Jackson with some of his weapons there, right, I mean again, say, Flowers, nice piece, not necessarily a game changer whether or not they get him.
Speaker 2: Like it feels like, hey man, maybe we go hard after a.
Speaker 1: Mike Evans or somebody like that would be kind of a cool piece to add to that Ravens offense. I mean, I don't know, but that at some point they've got to really just try to push their chips in on a wide out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. Like I know, they paid Rashad Bateman, they still have say Flowers on his rookie deal. They tried it with like DH and stuff like that. But my concern is they just brought I know, Monkin is gone. The offense is going to look different, so they're going to address that side of the ball as well, But with the big overhaul coming on the defensive side of the ball, that's my fear as not as like, Look, if I'm a Ravens fan, I'm like, I trust Lamar in that offense. I want the defense to get better. But as a fantasy player, that's my fear is that the bulk of their money gets invested in the defensive side of things.
Speaker 1: Yes, again, it's probably a smart way to build the roster, but that's not what we're here for, you know. But especially if you've got folks in the building, you know, you've got the offensive coordinators saying that there's another level that Lamar Jackson can rise to. Well, maybe but some of that means the cast around him has to kind of help him rise to that level.
Speaker 2: He can be a willing passer, but.
Speaker 1: At some point, like the guys had to catch the ball and do something with it afterwards. So you know again, yeah, they're gonna They're probably gonna go and splurge on any Mike Evans.
Speaker 2: It would be nice, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't know why Keenan Allen's thank you. I think he retires, but I'm too the retirement home path, like they'll sign another older, big name wide receiver and call it a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, Keenan Allen in Baltimore with me, it just look weird. I'm trying to envision it in my head and it just looks weird seeing him in that uniform.
Speaker 3: Keenan Allen bears you. We're gonna look back and be like, what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really will Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: They've got the Steelers who have again they got a lot of money to spend forty four point seven million dollars. They are another team that absolutely needs some wide receiver help. Even if GMFB is Isaac Rochelle has DK metcalf is a top five wide out in the NFL, I feel like that's probably not enough. I think they also need quarterback help. Is Aaron Rodgers coming back? Are we gonna have another year of this again?
Speaker 3: My thinking is yes, they've already said right like we're not gonna allow him to do it like last year because it was in like June that he signed, like they need to know sooner than later. And I do believe that part of it, right Like, I think they're telling Rogers, we will have you back if you want to be back, but if you don't, we need to know so that we can move forward with free agency in the draft knowing what we need. I also think it could be like last year in the sense of he didn't sign till June, but every move that happened to indicate like they didn't sign anyone. They didn't draft a quarterback to Will Howard in like the sixth round. I think it was their seventh round. So yeah, it was like, all right, we could read the tea leaves here that Aaron Rodgers is gonna be the guy. But the way they've just been talking about it, like McCarthy being open to having him back, the Steelers publicly putting out that like we would welcome Rogers back if he wanted to. And the way that Rogers spoke this year at the end of the year, like he's the most funny's had in a while, and he felt like one of the guys again and rightfully so because the Steelers roster or like old so they get along with Aaron Rodgers quite well. But yeah, I do think though, if you're Pittsburgh, you he cannot be your only plan at quarterback, right. I know you have Will Howard there, but whether it's using like a second or third round pick on a developmental guy or maybe you bring in a Kyler. I think Kyler would play over Rogers, but you know, like an Anthony Richardson something like that.
Speaker 1: Like I'm gonna say, Richardson seems like a fit there potentially, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to like sit behind him, Like I think you have to do something else. But I kind of think we have it if we have seen Rogers. To me kind of feels like if we had seen the last of him, he would have wanted us to know that was the last of him, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also think I really do think if his last throw wasn't a pick six where on top of that he got trucked by the ball carrier. If it was nearly any other way that the season ended, maybe he feels better about walking away. But there's no way that Aaron Rodgers ego will let that.
Speaker 2: Be the last thing we remember of him in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Like if he if he beats the Ravens and then like that first play against Houston, he gets hurt and he's done for like maybe that's the last we see him because he walked off the field against Baltimore, you know, winning a playoff game. Kind of, although speaking of that, did you see that The league this week came out and said Isaiah Likely's catch that would have been the game winning catch in their first matchup should have been a touchdown And Lamar was like, wait, so we won that game. They would have won the division and made the playoffs had that call been called, right, like huge miscall. But if you're the Steelers, don't you don't care?
Speaker 2: But no, is it better or worse when leagues do that?
Speaker 3: Worse?
Speaker 1: I think it's worse, right, I would almost rather you just shut up about it, like don't tell me, don't don't tell me, because because you're not gonna award me anything. They're just gonna you know, pat me on the back and be like, hey, sorry, Champ screwed me. You know, Like, I don't like the NBA does that last two minutes report where they talk about all the calls and you know what they got right, what they got wrong, whatever, But because you're not gonna app actually change anything, like just just keep it to yourself. I just it doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 3: When the Knicks played the Sixers in the playoffs a couple of years ago, there was a two minute report that said they got something wrong that would have greatly switched one game, maybe in the favor of the Sixers, And then like two days later it happened against the Knicks, and the fan bases were like, we both lost the game to it. Who cares, right, Like that doesn't make me feel any better. If anything, it makes me feel more angry if my team is on the wrong side out of a call in the league is like, you guys shouldn't have lost that game. Like no, like fight me then, like give us a chance to win it. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always laugh and every something something happens in baseball and they're like the managers like we're playing this game under.
Speaker 2: Protest it doesn't change anything.
Speaker 1: And I just imagine basically, it just means that the manager's gonna sit on the dugout steps with like his arms folded and his bottom lip poked out like a you know, Toddler or something like.
Speaker 2: Man, don't tell me if you screwed up.
Speaker 3: Pull the Bobby Valentine and come back with fake glasses on.
Speaker 2: With what the glasses and the fake mustache.
Speaker 3: That's the manager has ever done. And I don't think it'll be topped.
Speaker 2: Oh man? Uh yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: That's our look at the ANFC nor a break come back to the NFC North. Some interesting things there, including some quarterback issues somewhere along the way. That's next on the NFL Fantasy Football podcast.
Speaker 2: Talk Free Agency.
Speaker 1: Looking at the NFC North and in reverse order of finish, we got the the Lions, Vikings, Packers, and Bears. I when I look at this, it's like, well, the Lions really did finish last technically in the NFC North. They were nine to eight just because that the vision was super competitive and all those teams were really bunched together.
Speaker 3: But you know, the Vikings finishing over five hundred is something I will never give credit, like they were so bad and then they won their final four games, and maybe they deserve credit for that, but like you were eliminated already, Like in my head, the Vikings finished in last place, all right, sure, but.
Speaker 2: Either way, they're nine to eight the Lions.
Speaker 1: I think most of their issues are on the defensive side of the ball. Again, they've got they've got any quarterback in Jared Goff. Okay, yeah, he's not elite, but he's definitely an above average quarterback. I think they're fine there. Obviously, they've got a top notch running back. Engineer Gibbs sort of curious what the future is going to be for David Montgomery, you know, with his ball club, since he was obviously deemphasized in the offense last year. They've got quality wide receivers i' mon Ross, Saint Brown, Jamison Williams, even Isaac you know, they are set offensively, they just got to fix things on the defensive side of the ball. So I don't you know, they're also nine million dollars over the cap, so I feel like, you know, spending on skill position guys in free agency probably a luxury that.
Speaker 3: The one, because like you said, literally their whole line all their starters on offense are coming back, their defense is filled with free agents.
Speaker 2: But the one.
Speaker 3: Offensive question is David Montgomery, because there was some smoke this week from the Combine that he could be kind of wanting a new home because of how they they leaned on Gibbs more and more down the stretch, and also his cat. He's he's about nine million dollars he's going to cost this year, so that could be a way to free some money. I want it to happen only because I think bjon and Gibbs are going to be tied for their whole career. And if we could get a whole summer where Tyler ELL's year and David Montgomery are now removed from the equations and you get to just argue Bijeon versus Gibbs, that to me is going to be a ton of fun. So that's selfishly what I'm rooting for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be okay with that.
Speaker 1: I like it when we have years a week it's sort of debate who is the number one pick, because yeah, you know, it feels like there have been more often than that over the last few years. There's just been the consensus number one, and then you know, I don't know. It's just not fun to argue because then you get people who are kind of galaxy braining the whole thing about who should be a number one pick, and that's equally not fun when you're just making up reasons.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing it now, right, one of us champion for Bijeon, the other for Gibbs, and then there's LQB and like it should be poker.
Speaker 2: It's poker, right.
Speaker 1: We already know where he is planted his flag, So now it's just up to you and I to you know, kind of figure out the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: That gets us to the Vikings, which headline this week. The Vikings will quote explore every opportunity at quarterback this offseason with JJ McCarthy still in the mix. I read that, and I think they are done done with JJ McCarthy. If they are, If there are here a couple of years into it and they're saying they're exploring every option at quarterback, I don't know, Mike, that seems to me that the Vikings are like, Okay, this is just not working. This guy is not who we thought he who was. He's not working out. We got to figure out a contingency plan.
Speaker 3: And if you read the tea leaves up until this point, it very much indicates that they're done right. Like Koc we have found out did not want to draft JJ McCarthy. He did not want to start JJ McCarthy. It was the then GM at the time who got fired. I would argue because of JJ McCarthy. Would shout out to the forty Niners, by the way, because anytime someone leaves and they go and they get fired there the Niners are like, welcome back, buddy, Come on, Yeah, it's such a it must be such a good feeling, knowing like, well, if I strike out on my own, Kyle's gonna welcome me back with open eyes. But uh yeah. And then on top of all of that, right Jay uh Jefferson's comments of being like if I had a better quarterback, I would put up better numbers stuff like that, Like they they kind of threw him right under the bus and then reversed it back, so like I would be very surprised. I wouldn't be shocked if they go into next year where they can't battle for JJ. But I think if they could get a Kyler Murray, They're gonna strike on that or someone where they know, Okay, it's not even a battle, like we're starting this guy over JJ. But I'm gonna say it again, JJ for Richardson right, Like JJ I just feels like more of a Daniel Jones backup than Anthony Richardson does. And then Richardson gets a and to the place that's helped develop a lot of young quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was gonna be upset that you're pushing his guy, Riley Leonard out of.
Speaker 2: The equation here because he loves Riley Leonard. He loves Riley Leonard, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily understand it, but yeah, he's a big Riley Leonard guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 3: Look, Riley could beat out JJ potentially to be the number two, I.
Speaker 2: Mean could be sure.
Speaker 1: The other part of this for the Vikings, they're forty two million dollars over the cap. In fact, every team in the NFC North right now is over the cap.
Speaker 2: To varying degrees.
Speaker 1: Forty two million makes it really hard to do things in free agency. So I do think if they're really looking to explore the quarterback situation, it is likely a trade, but it also involves you know, restructuring, letting guys go. So I think they would love to be in on a guy like Kyler Murray seeing what they could do with Kyler.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just not very hard.
Speaker 3: The only way I think it works is if he Kyler does a Russ right where he's like, the Cardinals are already paying me a bunch of money, I'll sign for the minimum here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that that could possibly work. I would, I think for sure. But otherwise, if he's just looking to still get paid paid, then that probably doesn't work there.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you just saw the text that just came in. No, the context, it's like he's watching sucks On, missing Florial's excitement for Anthony Richardson, possibly on the move.
Speaker 2: Now I'm checking. I'm checking the streamyard. No, he's not.
Speaker 1: He's not here unless he's, you know, masquerading as Kyrie.
Speaker 2: That's wild. That is wild that he pops in.
Speaker 1: So Lakwana actually is on the show today in his own special way. The other thing the Vikings really need, though, they do need a running back that feels like one that you know, they could possibly address that without breaking the bank necessarily.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think they.
Speaker 1: I don't think they chase a traves etn I mean, would you try to make it work with like Najee Harris because the number that Nag's gonna sign for is going to be less than what he got last year? Do you pursue a JK. Dobbins h Kenneth Gainwell?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: But I think I think there are ways to sort of address that need and do it in a pretty economical way.
Speaker 3: Is for the Vikings, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For the Vikings, Yeah, because they they I think it's a very good chance that they move on from Aaron Jones this offense. He is so expensive. But you mentioned Kenneth Gainwell. That was gonna be the name I threw out there because I think Jordan Mason, And look, I'm not going to say I'm the highest guy on him here because we all.
Speaker 2: Know that, we all know, we all know who that is, right.
Speaker 3: But Jordan Mason is a very good runner. I don't think he is a great dual threat back, but just as a pure like first and second down short yard stuff, I think Jordan Mason could get you covered there. And then I think Kenneth Gainwell, who isn't necessarily the best runner, is a fantastic weapon in the passing game, So you kind of splice it together. With those two, I think you could have a very productive backfield without having to invest a whole lot of money. Like, look, it's not my dream backfield, but in this situation, it works. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's probably fair because I don't think they give up fully on Jordan Mason, but I do think they've learned that he's not the guy that's going to carry the offense. He could be good in spurts, but he also kind of has a limited ceiling for them. So I think finally a compliment to him is probably the best thing that you can do. Honestly, wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings even wait a while you talk about them the Broncos signing JK.
Speaker 2: Dobbins later in the offseason.
Speaker 1: If I'm the Vikings, I wait, right, Maybe I look and see who's available in free agency. I go through the draft, I see who maybe we can get there, and then if we don't get a guy we like in the draft, we go back because they're probably going to be some free agent running backs still hanging around in May and June that you can add and have them be that complimentary piece for your backfield. So I think that's very much a possibility there. I think that's kind of in for the Vikings. I mean, quarterback I think is the biggest thing, oh one thing.
Speaker 2: Like you know, maybe we'll wait till Kwan's.
Speaker 1: Back because I know he texted us that he was in a Best Ball draft where Justin Jefferson went with the eighth pick in the second round, and that I think is heavily heavily tied to the quarterback situation there, And you know, I think that's that's a conversation that I think we should definitely have, but we'll wait till the Q is back from that one. The Packers, most of their needs are on defense. Big need is basically for Micah Parsons to get healthy. I think that goes a long long way. They're four million dollars over the cap. Do they need I hate to say this out loud, do they need to add another wide receiver? I know Romeo Dobbs is probably on the move somewhere else. Christian Watson was very good last year. Matthew Golden had a big playoff game, But like, I don't know, Dantavian Wicks doesn't really do much. You know, Bo Melton is a part time wide receiver, part time cornerback. He's he's I don't even call him Timu Travis Hunter because I don't think that's that's even accurate enough.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get enough love though for what he does.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: It's funny because every time they used him as a wide receiver and he drops a pass, I just see Packers fans grumbling about why would you put a corner on the field in this situation?
Speaker 3: Can't catch?
Speaker 1: Basically, it's kind of what that is. So, I mean, I know we have spent the last few years bemoaning the fact that the Packers have too many wide receivers and we can't figure it out.
Speaker 2: But now it feels like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, unless we believe in Matthew Golden to take the leap next year, maybe they.
Speaker 2: Need another wide receiver. It's a compliment Christian Watson.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to be very hopeful that Matthew Golden could take that next step. I also still really like Jayden Reid. I know he's a little limited in like how you can use him, but I still think he can be an effective NFL wide receiver, and like him and Watson and Golden on paper with Wicks mixed in there, like that should be four good ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they invest in another receiver, but I would be shocked if it's a lofty investment, you know, Like I don't think their biggest free agent signing or their first or second round pick are probably going to be a receiver. But because also they have two of their starting O linemen are free agents this year, so I think if anything on offense, that is your biggest priority, trying to get your line right. They also need a backup quarterback, right, I don't know if you feel comfortable with just desney Ri or there. So the offensive side of the things for the Packers, outside of the rebuilding your line, because your left tackle and your right guard potentially leaving is hard to replace. You can't just like string that together. But the rest of it, I think are more like minor moves. Like you know, they tweak it a little bit here we bring in this body for depth at receivers something like that, But for the most part, I think they drafted Matthew gold In a year in advance, being like, you're going to take Romeo Dobbs role in our offense when Romeo Dobbs eventually leaves next year as a free agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's not things like they've they're pretty.
Speaker 1: Much set on Dobbs not coming back. I think they're going to try and work with what they have is sort of build from there. Look, they spent the first round pick on Matthew Golden, so he's going to get at least another couple of years to just figure things out there.
Speaker 3: It is so Packers that they finally used the first round pick on a receiver and then it's one of the worst production to the first round even years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you know, see, at least you tried what it is. Look, I know people still aren't giving up on Matthew Golden, and that makes sense. It's only been one year. I will tell you that, at least from a fantasy perspective, I'm out until I see something from him on a consistent basis. So Christian Watson, though, I'm in Christia Watson, I'm very much in on. He's probably the only Packers receiver I'm really in on this year. But yeah, Golden, I'm sort of out there, so it takes us to the Bears. They are also over the cap about nine and a half million.
Speaker 2: I saw.
Speaker 1: I was looking around people saying, one of the needs is tight end. I'm going to assume that that's a blocking tight end. You need maybe more of an inlined, inline guy who can contribute in the running game, because I think I think Colston Lovelin is it. I think what we saw from him in the back half of the season forecasts him really taking off next year. So I think in terms of a pass catching tight end, I don't think that's it. I think it's more of a blocking tight end.
Speaker 3: Still got cole Comet too.
Speaker 1: They do have cole Comet, where I think it's just going to be a fly in the ointment. What I'm worried is that cole Comet is going to do to Colston Loveland what Jimmy Graham did to cole Comet a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: I hope not where.
Speaker 1: Every week on either on the podcast or on Fantasy Live or in the Sleepers column, I was touting cole Comet because all of the metrics, the you know, the targets per route run, the snaps, all this stuff was saying Cole Comet is a worthwhile play, and then Jimmy Graham would catch a touchdown when they got in the red zone. It just got hard to kind of keep banging on that drum for a while. And I don't want this to happen to Colston Loveland.
Speaker 2: So that's my that's my worry.
Speaker 3: The one thing they do look at at his bow track page right now, they do have an out this year if they want to take it, and he is I mean eleven million dollars almost twelve million dollars for cap hit for a tight end two. That feels like he could be a cap casualty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I could definitely see that happening. Also, Durham's smythe for what it's worth, is a free agent, so they could sort of revamp the tight end room there in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Do they need another wide receiver? You know, Keenan Allen. I mean, obviously Keenan Allen's gone. Not Keenan Allen, who am I? But Luther Burden.
Speaker 1: DJ more could be gone. I don't know why I'm stuck in twenty twenty four talking about Keenan Allen I mentioned earlier that's exactly where my brain went. At this point, DJ More could be gone. The Luther Burden hype train is several miles down the road already. Romo Dunes faded badly in the second half of the season. Do they need to add a piece at wide receiver or do we believe that they can sort of figure it out with the pieces they have.
Speaker 3: I think they're gonna need to add a depth receiver, like like a wide receiver three or something like that, because I look, I loved him as a prospect. I am super bullish on Luther Burden. I think, just like Cole Comet, we saw the youth takeover last year as they gave Burden more. And I know he's one of those players Marcus that I think if you just look at the box score, you're doing the disservice. He had a couple of big games where he popped here or there, but watch what he can do, and to me, he just seems like a weapon that Ben Johnson is going to design one hundred and twenty plays for it this year, you know, like like I just think him and commit I wouldn't be surprised if the offense runs through those two guys next year. There there's also rome with Dunesday. Though it's feeling more and more likely that DJ Moore is going to be gone because his cap hit isn't crazy, and on top of that, they have a lot of younger pieces here that they are excited for and let's not forget right. Like I was the person that was like, this camp rumor doesn't matter, right, Like the whole they can't figure out how to get DJ Moore the ball thing, I was like, that's a camp thing, Ben, trust me, Ben Johnson's going to know how to get DJ Moore the ball. And then there's a large chunk of the season Marcus where they didn't know how to get j he was playing on the backfield. They're throwing him screen passes like so the fact that his cap I mean, it's a little bit higher, but it's not huge anymore. So, Like I think there's a good look. Bills fans are already clamoring like DJ Mohr, go get him. Like I do think DJ Moore is going to be one of the bigger headline names that we see get traded. But I don't think that means they bring in another star wide receiver. I think there it means more that they have a lot of confidence in those two young pass catchers that we saw breakout in their rookie year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that's that's probably more accurate. I mean, I'm trying to think of some guys that would be interesting sort of complimentary pieces is.
Speaker 2: There and you know ah, I mean Alex Pearce is probably going to be more than what they want or need. I think in terms of what he's gonna come, I think he's salary wise, He's don't get paid for sure. I don't know that Rashid Shaheed leaves. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 1: If I'm Seattle, I don't let Rashid shi Heat out of the building because he you know, he's a big play guy. He also does a lot for you on special teams.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like.
Speaker 1: What is Christian Kirk's future going to be. You know, he's not gonna get the big numbs. He's not gonna get a big contract that he got you know before. Like I you know, I still know what his future is at this point.
Speaker 3: You talk about the Ravens eating a wide receiver, deebo is one that just screams Ravens to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deebo could be sort of like the new and Kwon Bolden, you know, you know, yeah, Christian Kirk is kind of a mystery to me because, you know, he had a couple of really good He had that one really good year in Jacksonville when we all laughed like why are the Jacks spending that much money on him? And then he went and balled out. We're like, all right, well I'll shut up now. But he hasn't come close to anything like that since. And last year there were times I literally had to look on the roster and be like, oh, yeah, Christian Kirk is still there in Houston.
Speaker 3: Then he killed the Steelers in the playoffs. So it's like, it's weird because I still think he's he's got some game left. I look, I know we're way past the Ravens, but Mark's Brown also feels like another name. They could just Hollywood Miami boys with Lamar obviously already played together, Like, yeah, I could see him going back there as well.
Speaker 2: That'd be interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's another one who just it never quite handed out the way we hoped.
Speaker 2: It would with his career.
Speaker 1: But maybe maybe you reunite him back in Greg whorre he started in Baltimore. I haven't played with with the Great Dorch Sweepstakes.
Speaker 3: Kwan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna He's gonna hype him up wherever he goes.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe that's not a terrible thing for the Bears.
Speaker 1: I don't know, or does he does he sort of crowd out Burden what they want to do with Burden.
Speaker 3: I could see Greg George going there because he could play in line, he could play out wide. He's not someone that obviously needs a ton of touches. He's more just like here or there. But when he gets the ball, he tends to do a lot with it. I know the Kwan wants him to go somewhere where he could get a much bigger role, but I he might be typecasting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think at this point he is who he is. What about Juwan Jennings in Chicago? I I like.
Speaker 3: The only reason I don't like it is because I think it would ding everyone else's fantasy value there. But I think from a real life standpoint he fits very well there. He can move roll around the field. He's not someone you have to like throw the ball to ten times a game, but.
Speaker 1: Every now and then you do throw him the ball ten times a game because it sort of works out. Yeah, all right, interesting, there we go. That's the North divisions, remember the North AFC and the NFC. Next week we will continue this with the accordingly, the South and West divisions on Tuesday and Thursday next week as we get you ready for free agency. But in the meantime, that'll do it for this edition of the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. They happy, stave in, healthy, do good, and live well. Enjoy the weekend everybody. We will talk to you on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Wow.