Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff? Another rerun. Why are there so many reruns?
Speaker 3: Well, I told you each one made sense for different reasons, and this one is.
Speaker 2: Because cool Zon Media takes off for.
Speaker 3: The holidays sometimes, And so we're going to run a rerun about anti fascism and film.
Speaker 2: Why because I like it and I want you to hear it again or for the.
Speaker 3: First time, but also because I think it's really important that we understand about how culture can shape things and also specifically how we can use culture to resist. And also I just think it's cool that all the original vampires are on our side. Anyway, I hope you all are well, and here's an episode. Hello and welcome to you Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff. I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and each week I talk about cool people who did cool stuff. This week, I'm super excited about our guest because she's Kitlyn.
Speaker 2: Or One, which is exciting.
Speaker 3: Hello. Yeah, you're the co host of the Bechdel Cast, which is about movies.
Speaker 2: Is that correct? It is true movies? And we watch a movie, we say this is a sexist pile of garbage. And then sometimes I'm like, oh, but I still like it.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's not the piles of garbage that I still like. This is a good episode for you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, I don't know what we're talking about, so I'm excited to find out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, basically, eighty percent of the men in history who are worth talking about as cool are also sexists. So you know, no matter what you do, there's going to be some of them.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: This is not an episode about one particular one. I'm trying to build up the suspense. The audience will already know what the thing is about because they've seen the title. Caitlin is not But how are you doing? How are you, Caitlin?
Speaker 2: I'm doing very well. Well, let's see. I just saw R R R in theaters for the third time. It's my new favorite movie. I'm spreading the gospel. I had the catalytic converter stolen out of my car, and I was told that it would take Thank you so much. I was told it would be months before I would get a replacement part because there's a supply chain issue because everyone's getting there things are stolen. But they happen to have a spare one and it fit my car.
Speaker 3: And it's exactly like the one that was in your car. Someone just happened to come by and sell it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wonder where that came from. So I got my car back much sooner than Anticif things are looking up, things are looking up. I love that for you. Thank you. How are you, Margaret? I'm okay.
Speaker 3: I'm on this long road trip and I'm paranoid that someone's going to steal the catalytic converter around my truck. And I was like looking into like welding things on the underside of my truck, and then I was like, this is you know, I'm still more likely to there's other bad things that could also happen that are worse.
Speaker 2: Let's hope not. Oh that's true.
Speaker 3: Only good things will happen because this is the only Good Things podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We also this show is produced by Sophie Lichterman, who is also my friend. She has a cute dog. Sophie, how are you?
Speaker 1: I thank you for complimenting Anderson. She appreciates that she is a cute dog, and I am honored to be your producer and friend. I am well, I am well, Anderson, are you well? She just looked at me. She is well, she got a new piece of furniture that she can comfortably lounge on today, So that is that is always good news.
Speaker 2: Shout out, and not to brag or anything, but Sophie is also my producer and also my friend. Yeah well then oh it's a competition. Well I'm also Sophie's producer and you're no, I got nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh my producer's Anderson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 3: Ian is our audio engineer and the theme music was written by unwoman. And today's episode is not about Anderson.
Speaker 1: That's upsetting. She is cool people who did cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: Absolutely one day, one day there's just going to be the dog's episode.
Speaker 1: I just read your next sentence and it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Do it, do it.
Speaker 3: Today's episode is about movies, Caitlin, have you ever heard of movies?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: What are they?
Speaker 3: Well, if you take a bunch of still pictures and you move them very quickly, okay, the rest is beyond me, I think. Then you claim to be the inventor even though it was actually so many worked for you who invented it.
Speaker 2: If you're Thomas Edison and then oh sure, yeah, I mean that makes sense if it were me, you know, putting still images together to create the illusion of a moving image. I would maybe do it at like twenty four frames a second.
Speaker 3: I don't know, no call, okay, but what about twenty nine point ninety seven?
Speaker 2: Sometimes that happens too, because you know, if you're like using film versus digital, like, it is probably a little different. But again I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So I actually am curious. I have a feeling that you know quite a bit about movies, and I'm wondering if you would explain to our audience your authority on movies.
Speaker 2: I would be happy to I lied before. I do know some things. I do have two degrees, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, okay, yeah, so one of them is is just a lowly bachelor's degree and it's in film production. And then I do have a master's degree in screening. Screen What is it I'm writing? I'm really tired today, screen writing from Boston University. But this is something that I never mentioned, and that's why I like stumbled over my words because I really first never said it.
Speaker 1: DAYLN Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well today we're going to talk about movies, and we are going to talk about anti fascism.
Speaker 2: In movies even better, we're going to talk.
Speaker 3: About in the movies themselves having anti fascist themes, but mostly we're going to talk about the ways in which a ton of people in Germany and Hollywood in the nineteen twenties and thirties and a little bit into the forties stood up to fascism and risk their reputation and often their lives to try to stop the fucking Nazis.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 3: So that was why I was excited to have you as the guest for this particular episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I hope to not disappoint oh Kaylin, Yeah, no, I I but the only other downside, right, like, like I try to pick a guest who knows background material about the thing that I'm talking about, but not the specific story, and this one, I was a little bit like, Okaitlyn might know all the things that I'm going to say, but whatever.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Well, they do have a master's in screenwriting.
Speaker 2: So it's what I hear. Actually two degrees. How did you know that? Again, I've never said it.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just you, just you just you just radiate that master's in screenwriting energy.
Speaker 3: And don't forget the unmarried degree that you have a degree in not being married or something.
Speaker 2: That is something I actually that's it ohe And it was a joke. Yeah, no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm not taking into your personal life on air.
Speaker 2: I well, you're right though, I am unmarried and I do identify as a bachelor. And when people are like, oh, like, what do you do you have a are you single? Do you have a partner? Are you married? And I say no, I'm a bachelor and I am living a bachelor's life. I like to think.
Speaker 3: So there's anyone who can see on the zoom screen, I see a lot of piled up takeout containers of giant TV. That is the only piece of furniture in the room.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't do laundry, and I know I well I do. I can't. I don't cook, so I do order a lot of takeout and you know, I'm out there kissing people. And I feel like that's what bachelors do.
Speaker 3: I think they aspire to. They aspire to.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm doing it, so maybe have a degree in it above exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, if I want to talk about anti fascism in film, there's only one logical place to start. Vampires let's talk about vampires.
Speaker 1: Great, wait, wait, wait, very important question Margaret that I'm not I'm hoping you understand the pop culture reference.
Speaker 2: I probably don't.
Speaker 1: Team Jacob tam Edward.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 3: Twilight reference, and I don't know which one is which, Kayle Sophia, I probably.
Speaker 2: Don't like you don't. They are both horrible options. Edward is Edward Cullen, of course, the vampire played by Robert Pattinson. He is creepy and abusive and a major gas lighter among them.
Speaker 1: But his skin sparkles in the sun.
Speaker 2: This is true. But now we've got.
Speaker 1: Best line is hold on, spider Monkey.
Speaker 2: Spider Monkey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So.
Speaker 2: Then we've got team Jacob. He's a warewolf.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm on team Jacob, so I usual I.
Speaker 2: Was for a long time. And then you find out what happens in I think it's the fourth and final book and he falls in love with a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, there's some weird. There's some weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Best worst jacob lyone in the movie is uh, Bella, where have you been? Loca? And I just want to put out all these things so that you may properly pick. Also, I really want to watch these movies with you, Margaret.
Speaker 3: That would be fun. We should do a show, Margaret pop culture.
Speaker 1: I think that next time.
Speaker 3: This isn't from the nineteenth century. How would anyone know it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think we should do. We should do a compound Twilight watch party.
Speaker 2: All right, I come, yeah, my gosh, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I request both you and one Jamie Loftus at this event to curate it properly. We will be there. Fantastic anyways, Vampires, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So the first Hollywood vampire not Hollywood actually sorry, the first movie series of still photos shown in rapid secession to create the illusion of motion in life. Max Shrek, who played the original screen vampire in No Sfaratu nineteen twenty two. So the silent movie called nos Faratu Max Shrek. First of all, his last name means Terror, which is cool, Shrek means terror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna look at the Shrek movie so differently now, and do you trust me?
Speaker 3: I look at the Shrek movies. I absolutely believe you. So, so Max Shrek the actor, not the character.
Speaker 2: Max does not it.
Speaker 3: Max Shrek is Max Terror, which is the punk ist fucking name, right. Yeah, And it fits because he was a punk, fucking guy, and this is a guy he paid played Count Overlock in nineteen twenty twos Knows Faratu. We'll talk about that film in a minute, but we're gonna sort of he's gonna be a little character that's going to show us through nineteen twenties and thirties Berlin, the time when I secretly wish I lived, even though it would have ended terribly. Also would have been terrible the entire time.
Speaker 2: From I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He was born in eighteen seventy six to some civil servants in Germany. I think his dad was like a type a topographer, oring like that, and his dad didn't want him to act, but his mother slipped him money and he went off to go to acting classes. And this guy is like an actor's actor. He got his start in traveling troops, going around from town to town. He slowly moved up to like some playing some cities, and the end he ends up winding up playing the most respected theaters in Germany. But he's never the central starring character, right. He works from the shadows. He took on almost eight hundred roles over the course of his life, and he would photograph himself in the costume of each one, like each role, which is fucking cool. People only found those photos recently or something.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 3: He lived a quiet life with his wife, who was an actress, and they had no kids, and his friends describe him I'm totally not describing a vampire here. His friends describe him as very remote. He lives in his own world. He spends hours walking through the darkest forests he can find. Nice And there's only one biography of him, and it's from two thousand and nine, and it's just kind of a list of all the places he played. It's not really about his life because no one knows anything about his fucking life, Okay, because he was just this like reserved, quiet actor who would go out and play every night for his entire life, and.
Speaker 2: Then he'd go into a dark forest and stroll around.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and apparently mountains too. I found one reference to he liked hanging out in the mountains in an obituary of him. But he was a quiet man and also an anti fascist man, because the world's first screen vampire was played by a committed anti fascist in the Weimart and early Nazi era in the sort of anti fascist theater and film scene. And this was huge, a lot of stuff. I mean, actually, there's one time period that doesn't get to depoliticized. It's like the rise of Nazi Germany. But overall people still talk about like theater and film as in sort of depoliticized terms. And so that's what I'm going to try and undo here today.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: So they developed entire styles of performance, the anti fascist theater and film scenes, and expressionist horror and theater are two of those styles. Have you heard of of these styles? I don't know what, you know. It's like I look at these things and I'm like, I don't know what gets talked about it.
Speaker 2: Is it like German expressionism or is that yeah, okay, yeah I'm familiar, not deeply, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no totally. So they go on to influence fucking everything, especially German expressionism in specific. And since I like making grand statements that I can only partially defend, I'm going to go ahead and claim that film noir and modern Hollywood horror are descendants of a direct lineage of anti fascist filmmaking.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 3: Max shrek by By one article I could find in addition to his film and theater work. He was a bouncer for Pertult Brex Theater Company. So fucking count Orlock the Vampire. I mean, he probably didn't do it in the count Orlock outfit, but I prefer to imagine.
Speaker 2: It'll rewrite history and say that he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, have you have you seen Sarato? I'm really not trying to put you on the spot about film shit. I guess I am accidentally.
Speaker 2: Look, I I'll say every movie I've ever seen on this episode. No, but I have seen No Fratu. It was in my when I was getting my degree in being unmarried. Yeah again, hilarious joke that I am very funny. I truly loved it. And then I've also seen Shadow of a Vampire. Yeah, pretty cool movie. Yeah, but yes I've seen Nou.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's creepy looking as fuck, right, anyone who hasn't seen this, you've You might even recognize it if you see stills from it. Not you, you've seen it. But like anyone listening is instead of the like most vampires we see in Hollywood and stuff, sparkle in the daylight and gently abuse their romantic partners. Count Orlock, I haven't reatt enough. Twilight to make that claim as a specific thing about what happens in Twilight. I don't know, but count Orlock is a creepy monster, right, count Overlock looks inhuman and like runs around with like long fingers and this super fucking creepy and cool. M So I just like, yeah, that's this is who I like to imagine bouncing for Bertolt Breckt, and in particular, basically what was happening is Bertolt Brecht was a Marxist and was making very political theater and Nazis would come and try and fuck it up, and so it had to be bounced very actively. So this wasn't a very like passive job just being like, oh, I'm a bouncer. It was like, it's like if The Proud.
Speaker 2: Boys was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I'm going to use that to talk about Bret, right, He's my framing character, Max Shrek, Max Maximum Terror. Bertolt Brecht was this theater director and a Marxist who was really upfront about his political engagement and so the Nazi brown shirts fucking hated him and they were always trying to shut him down. And Brett was into a movement called epic theater, the idea that and this is actually I see a lot of influences once I read what this is about. The idea is that the viewer shouldn't just blindly identify with the characters of the thing that they're watching, and instead they should It was kind of cool because this whole point was to do political theater, but it was in this kind of counter propaganda way where he's like, I want the viewer to have to think about what's happening instead of just accepting the themes and the concepts that are being presented to them, and so watching the piece should cause the viewer to criticize how they feel about what's happening. And some of the ways that he used to do that was to avoid climactic catharsis, which leaves the viewer complacent in his point of view. And it's interesting to me because I have this thing where I watch modern movies and I kind of hate the climax of the film every single time. But that's usually because I kind of like action movies, and I hate action movie climaxes because it's just fifteen minutes of the same shit we've already seen, devoid of.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: The other way that he would do this, and epic theater is breaking the fourth wall because you're reminding the viewer that they are consuming media.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: And one of the things I was realizing was was researching all of this, I would have paid so much more attention in art history class if people talked about like why these various art movements existed instead of just being like epic theater wanted people to remember that they were consuming media, so they would break the fourth wall instead being like epic theater came out of the rise of Nazism, and it was people trying to help people fight against the propaganda that they were being fed, and so they wanted people to question media, and so they figured out how to put it into the fucking media itself.
Speaker 2: Hmm you really, Yeah, that would have been nice also, yeah, learn about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And I don't know, Like I'm curious because I suspect that you went further into these degrees. For example, then I have my two years of undergrad and art that I never finished or cared about because I didn't care about these art movements that they were talking about because they were just so deep, not just depoliticized, but dehumanized. They were just like and this is the way that these people painted the following river, and that was the Hudson River School, because they were at the Hudson River, and here are the pretty pictures of the river, and they're very pretty pictures of the river.
Speaker 2: I will say that a number of film classes that I took, I learned more about American history in those classes because the teachers often did, like contextualize, and this is why this movement in cinema happened as a response to like McCarthyism or so. I learned more about different pieces of American history in those and obviously like more modern American history, but like I learned more about that in film classes than I did in history classes, because up until that point I had just learned, like, I don't know, I grew up in like a small town where no it's just I don't know, not not agreat, not great education I got. So they did, Yeah, so they all this to say, they did contextualize, Uh, just film me crements and stuff quite a bit. That's cool story. Yeah, okay, yeah, no, I.
Speaker 3: I I don't know. It makes me care about the stuff when I have these hooks into it you know, totally, and it made obviously these people care about it too, right, like that was part of They cared about both things is what was so interesting to me. They absolutely cared about different different leftism or just anti fascism, and also they cared about figuring out art and shit. I don't know, shit, I'm clearly very good at totally graduated with money. We're scholars, Yeah, yeah, exactly, definitely not pop entertainment producers. And so okay, So Brett sadly his kid wound up, one of his kids wound but Nazi who then died on the Eastern Front. So sort of break even, you become a Nazi. Nazi games, Nazi prizes, they go together. Sure, But Breckt himself fled in nineteen thirty three after Hitler's rise to power. He came to the US, whereupon he was treated like shit for being a communist. He got caught up in the Red Scare, and he did end up actually wind up kind of snitching into the House of on American Activities. He was like one of like the Hollywood ten, of these ten filmmakers who were accused of being communists. And in Breck's case, it was true right. He was a communist ye, and all of his peers refused to talk, and he kind of was like, but he named names. I don't know exactly what he said. I didn't get enough far into specifically this, but he did it go at least and go talk to them, and his like theory and the thing that he did was he was like, no, I got to get the fuck out of this country. And so he was I presume he was just a so he goes and he like goes and does, goes and talks to them and then gets the fuck out of the country again. He also he's kind of interesting. He wasn't super consistent in his anti tootalitarianism. One of his main actresses, Carolina Naher, was caught up in Stalin's Great Purge. Everyone who wasn't the right kind of communist got like dragged off to gulags, and Bret.
Speaker 2: Was like, uh, I don't don't know her.
Speaker 3: What's up, like just kind of ignored her suffering under Stalin, and she died in a gulug and brecked himself wind up living in East Germany after the war, where he was critical of the Soviet government. Sort of he was like oh, I totally love you. You're great, don't murder me. And then he would be like, here's some poems about why the government sucks.
Speaker 2: I don't know whatever.
Speaker 3: Breckt cool theater guy, slightly disappointing in some personal levels or political levels. Sure, back to Shrek are our thread.
Speaker 2: My favorite phrase, especially in reference to the green ogre. But yeah, do you know, we're also happy to hear about Max.
Speaker 3: I read something that said that they named Shrek after Max Shrek, but I is there any do you have any idea?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. The spelling is not the same. Max Shrek has two extra SE's in his name. Yeah, it's just at the end. Yeah, I don't I don't know. But let's again, let's rewrite history and say that.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yeah, and they just americanized it by cutting out extra letters. The americanization exactly. Shrek performed for Bract, I believe, and then also hung out with other anti fascists as well. He performed for Airwind Piscatour, who, besides Brect was the main epic theater guy. So the break the fourth wall question everything, think for yourselves. We're all individuals. I'm not, and fuck I'm in a mony Python reference. I think I have to quit. I'm done.
Speaker 2: I didn't even I didn't even catch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't catch it. But I accept your resignation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's only fair. Let me just Caitlyn. I'm gonna send you over the script and you can.
Speaker 2: Can't kit you can take over. Maybe I should.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll finish this one out and then i'll and then.
Speaker 1: Why don't why don't we go to an ad break and you can collect yourself out out of the ground.
Speaker 3: Okay, come back for an accountability process about.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: You know who won't hold you accountable capitalism. Capitalism wants you to do everything that he wants you. Okay, here's some ads. We are back, and we are talking about nothing wrong that I did, but we instead we were talking about Erwin Piscator m hm. And he, like a lot of the directors and ship that we're going to talk about, right, fought in the trenches in World War One and he came back hating war, which is really hard to imagine someone fighting in World War One having negative.
Speaker 2: And then eating war.
Speaker 3: I know he must have just ungrateful. I think he came back ungrateful. Yeah, but he didn't hate war enough to not go and throw down in the November Revolution of nineteen eighteen when Germany got itself democracy. So he came back being like, I'm anti war, I mean, except this very necessary war to have democracy. So he's pretty cool. And he was in the Communist Party. He staged films by communists and anarchists. I really just included this line so I can get Tolstoy in here, because Tolstoy has to show up and everything I do for no good reason. I don't even have strong feelings about this guy. But he staged some plays by Tolstoy, and he literally directed a play I want to see this play at some point called Oil Boom in nineteen twenty eight that was against the colonial and environmentally destructive production of oil, which I had no idea people were talking about nineteen twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it worked. One hundred years later, we don't have the colonial or environmentally destructive practice of oil extraction.
Speaker 2: And thank goodness for that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For some odd reason, Erwin left Germany in the nineteen thirties, and he went around and lived a ton of different places, including New York City and he taught at the New School. This is like part of how I'm tying all the threads together of how these people influenced fucking everything he taught at the New School, including with students including Marlon Brando and Tennessee Williams. And then he left the US because of anti communism. So it's basically all of these like German directors are like, oh fuck the Nazis, and they get to the US and they're like, oh fuck, oh no, the Usians.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it all comes back to McCarthyism, as I brilliantly mentioned earlier. So it's very well done.
Speaker 3: If you have any actually, because I only know the like, I'll touch on some of this, but if you ever want to, like talk more about McCarthyism and House of an American and all that shit this relates to Hollywood, please interrupt me and talk about this.
Speaker 2: I don't know that much about it, so I would I'm a fraud actually.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, well, I feel really good that I set you up to could admit that, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so he ends up back in West Germany. So it's like, you know, because he's a little bit I don't know it seems like he was like more on the democracy side of things than the Stalin side of things, and so Shrek he rolls with. This guy plays at his theater. He probably bounced the more Nazis there too. I don't actually know, but I in my head canon he also is a bouncer at each of these places and continues to dress like Orlock, or maybe actually the Orlock was the non costume and that the rest was the costumes when he was dressing up.
Speaker 2: To the normal Are you sure sure? Let's go with that?
Speaker 3: And then he played at my favorite place that he played an anti fascist cabaret, because this man cannot miss. He performed specifically at Erica Man's anti fascist cabaret called the pepper Mill, which I won't try to pronounce in German. Okay, Erica Man. I'd never heard of Erica Man, and I after writing this script, I was like, I wish I'd just done Erica Man, like she's so fucking cool. I mean, like I like Max Shrek, and I like this vampire through line just to continue to break the fourth wall of how I write script so that you all can think for yourself about the propaganda that I'm feeding you so wow, Erica Man theater right now, right? Yeah, exactly. So Erica Mann is the son of Thomas Mann, who's this Nobel prize winning author who is pretty interesting. But life is short, so I'm not gonna he's anti Nazi. He's good in that way. I don't know about him to claim he's a good person at all. Erica Man gay as hell. If you look at a photo of her, you'll be like, oh, that lady's gay as hell. And the first play she acted in was basically a gay polycule. It was this play in Weimar, Germany about four friends who were all in love with each other, two men and two women. And not only was the play about that, but that was the actors as well. The both the two women were dating, both the two men were dating, and each woman was dating one of the men.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a lot of threuttles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like complicated, like building multiple threatles out of a cubical. Sure, this is why people don't have relationships with four people, because then they'd be cubicles.
Speaker 2: Mmmm wait would that be six? How many cube has six?
Speaker 1: Eight?
Speaker 5: Eight?
Speaker 3: A square? Yeah, but it had, but but it's four people.
Speaker 2: A cube has eight?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: For intersections. Oh yes, I mean my master's I don't know. Again, wouldn't ever talk about it. It is in screenwriting and not geometry. I almost said geography. Yeah, fair enough. Again, I'm a scholar. I'm a scholar. I'm really smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, So eric, amn uh six there's okay, but there's there's eight corners?
Speaker 2: Are there not eight corners to a cube on two? Four?
Speaker 4: Wait, dude, where are six sides?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, six.
Speaker 2: I know you're right, there are there are eight corners. Yeah, six sides. So which one is more applicable to the metaphor? Ooh, I we're gonna have to get like a physicist in here or something.
Speaker 1: In my degree is in psychology. I'm a bow out.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you can just tell people why this is a bad idea to have that kind of or maybe it's a very good idea. Triangle is the strongest shape after all.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So she has two honeymoons at the same hotel. She goes first with the like man she's married or whatever, and then she goes with the woman that she's married illegally like on the side, and the woman that she marries like checks into the hotel dressed asm Man, and she dates a who's who of lesbian Weimar Germany cabaret people. And she acted in a nineteen thirty one film about lesbianism that's just a documentary about lesbianism. And she was a committed and active anti fascist as well, and she kept getting fired for her work trying to stop Nazis from recruiting people. The rest of her family are known anti fascists, and while they're Protestant, they have Jewish ancestry, and so most of her family, the rest of her family's already fucked off, and by nineteen thirty five, she's the last girl standing from her family, her whole big anti fascist family still in Germany. Her uncle Heinrichmand was literally the first person that the Nazis stripped of German citizenship, like the Nazis hated the man's and then oh except actually this contradicts because then her and her brother started something. Maybe her brother hadn't fucked off yet. I love reading all of these like weird translated things that I try to find like because everything contradicts with itself. Right, her and her brother and her girlfriend and another friend start an anti fascist cabaret the above mentioned pepper mill in July nineteen thirty three. She writes most of the material, they get the name from their dad, who's like, you know, when people are talking about like nineties band names, they're like, I don't even know, just like look at the nearest object, and that's the name of your band, like sewing machine, dishwasher or whatever. Right, that's how they got their fucking band name, their cabaret.
Speaker 2: Okay, their dad was what was it, pepper mill.
Speaker 3: The pepper Yeah, the pepper mill. Their dad was like kind of I think, basically trolling them and was like, whatever, just call it, I don't know any gestures at the table and he's like, uh, the pepper mill.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So it worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it gets called legendary a lot. I'd never heard of the pepper mill, but apparently it's a very big deal. Okay, Yeah, everything is refers to the legendary pepper mill. Maybe they wrote that into that, they didn't write it into the name. And our man Shrek big Green Ogre was there, the Quiet Vampire, and he performed there a whole fucking bunch, right because he just showed up to everything that was anti fascist and acted and then went home to his wife and then wandered around the dark forests.
Speaker 2: And also was so he would perform in some theaters and then be the bouncer at others.
Speaker 3: So I'm having the hardest time. I only have one article that references the fact that he bounced, and I know the author of that is someone who has access to a lot of languages that I don't. The author of that speaks fucking shit ton of languages. So I was unable to find more information about his bouncing. I found a lot more information about his acting than his bouncing, but I don't know. So in my mind, I'm like, I only have one source, Therefore it is not true because I've become that kind of paranoid pop historian. Actually, that probably makes me a very bad pop historian. I should probably just make thanks great. Oh, okay, thanks, I appreciate that anytime.
Speaker 2: Pepper Mill only only last two months, it managed to become legendary in the two months it exists. The Nazis shut it down. Did for them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they get the fuck out and they get the fuck out of Germany. And there's competing sources about exactly what happens at this point, but it sounds like the whole thing. Moved probably without Shrek to Zurich for a while m hm, and she she's like, all right, I get the fuck out of here. And so she finds a gay dude in England and is like, hey, you want to get married, like real romantic. You can do whatever you want. I can do whatever I want. And he's like, yeah, totally, I'll get married. And then he was like, cool, do you have a gay friend I can set my girlfriend up with and.
Speaker 2: He does mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And so I love the gay poly world. That helped get people out of fucking Nazi Germany. And they moved to England. And at this point I'd love to even just be like happily ever after, but she kept fucking doing shit. Her and her brother reported on the Spanish Civil War. She wrote a whole bunch of anti Nazi books. When World War II broke out, she was like, yeah, I got I got fucking help. We got a fucking deal with these fucking Nazis. So she worked in radio and worked for the BBC, speaking in German, basically like doing counterpropaganda against the Nazis. She became a war correspondent. She was like one of the first people on the ground at like all these like liberated German cities. And later she moved to the US, where she was treated like shit and investigated by the FBI because she was a lefty or whatever. And even worse than being a lefty, she was gay. So she moved to Switzerland where she lived the rest of her days. And I'm really glad that our gay, anti fascist Jewish heritage lady survives the.
Speaker 2: End of the war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know what you're thinking to yourself, what does this have to do with vampires? Everything has to do with vampires.
Speaker 2: I wasn't I've seen the connection, is cris Day? Great? Yeah, well then in nineteen twenty just for anyone in any listeners, Yeah yeah, okay, you know who haven't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did the dots yet. I mean, what I find interesting about it right is like it doesn't specifically have to do a vampire myth inherently, but like this idea. These people are famous for their entertainment, most of these people Max Shrek certainly famous for nos Faratu and not for anti fascism, But this idea that like entertainment and myth and storytelling and horror and all of that they're not actually divorced from life, you know, sure, and that's like, that's the thing that gets to be really excited about this shit. I'm making weird eyes at the camera because I'm like over excited. Yeah, one hundred years ago, on this very night, that parts a lie. In nineteen twenty two, a German expressionist horror film called nos Faratu was released and it was put together by a studio called Prana Films, and it was their first film, and it was their last film because it was really obviously a ripoff. It was obviously bram Stoker's Dracula with the serial numbers rubbed off. It was apparently advertise basically as hey, check it out. We've got a film that's Dracula with the serial numbers rubbed off. We changed the names, huh, And.
Speaker 2: That didn't work.
Speaker 3: Bram Stoker was dead or undead at this point, but his widow wasn't Florence Balcom and she's like, hey, you know what, fuck this, fuck you, I'm suing. I owned Dracula, my husband wrote it. Prana Films declares bankruptcy because they couldn't afford to pay and most of the copies of the film were destroyed, but as an article in the New European put it, fortunately for posterity, if not copyright law, the film reappeared in the late nineteen twenties, when a handful of surviving prints emerged in far flung places, cut clumsily and with intertitles in different languages, but enough to save one of history's great cinematic achievements from oblivion.
Speaker 2: I assumed that they, I didn't know any of that, and I assumed that, you know, they had just acquired the rights to adapt in no Dracula narrative. I guess not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of a shitty move. I have like mixed feelings about copyright in general, but like especially the fact that they were Like I had always assumed that they had rubbed the serial numbers off and then like tried to downplay its connections to Dracula. But apparently the way that the widow Florence, the way she finds out about it is like an anonymous person sends her like a promotional flyer that's like, come see technically not Dracula, you know, all right, Yeah, So it's because of this that people rescued count Overlock. I mean knows fratu that we know Max Shrek today, and there were all of these rumors that he never existed. There were these rumors that he was a false persona of another more famous actor who was also super cool and anti fascist.
Speaker 2: But is short, wait, that Max Shrek never agested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that there was no Max Shrek, and that's almost certainly not true. He was just such a minor character. He was like this like behind the scenes guy. He's just this quiet guy who acts right. But then in nineteen fifty three, a surrealist writer named a Donnis Krum suggested that Shrek himself might have been a vampire who is hired to play the vampire, which of course gets turned into another sick movie, The Shadow of the Vampire, which came out in the Ear of Our Lord two thousand, which is worth seeing also and possibly a documentary.
Speaker 2: And actually probably a documentary, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a biopic, I think so. Yeah. And I find that surrealists don't lie.
Speaker 2: They are known for depicting things very realistically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as they are sir actually means more than real in German.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very very realism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no lies realism. Yeah. Max Shrek ostensibly died of heart failure when he was fifty seven in nineteen thirty six. Obviously, of course he became an anti fascist vampire who single handedly brought down the Nazis, but that's a story for another time. The previous night, the last night of his regular life, he performed on stage, and then he checked himself into the hospital. And then he died the next morning, and he was buried in an unmarked grave next to his mother. And I don't know, like, like, there's like not that much about this guy. But I feel like, just like this, like you live your life. You're the quiet, shadowy actor. You got one big starring role that like rewrites filmic history, and then you like fight Nazis and hang out in the woods. Like I feel like that's a fucking good life.
Speaker 2: That's a great life. And yeah, you think there'd be that he'd I mean, he left a legacy, but that like more people would know about her, that there'd be more written about, more biographies. Yeah, I don't know. I didn't know anything of this about about Shrek. The only the only thing I know about Shrek is that he's a green ogre with a donkey friend. Yeah, and that's not the same Shrek a heart made out of gold onions exactly. Yeah, I really like the Shrek movies. But I don't remember is a Twilight thing? Wait? What really in the first movie? All right? Right, Sophia might write about this. In the first movie when Bello Swan is trying to she's like kind of getting to know Edward Cullen, but he's being really.
Speaker 1: The first time. He especially creepy, like she thinks that she smells.
Speaker 2: Because he's he's hungry for human blood.
Speaker 1: He just wants to eat her and he can't read her mind. It's a whole thing. Their their lab partner, Lab partners.
Speaker 2: Okay, and the prize.
Speaker 1: Because he's under he's a teenager, but he's actually a hundred twenty something or whatever years old, and that's sketchy. She says to him, how old are you? He goes, I'm seventeen, and she goes, hollo ben so and then he's like, oh god, God, we really need to do this movie night.
Speaker 2: But they meet because they're lab partners in biology class or whatever and teachers.
Speaker 3: I dissect it pretty close.
Speaker 2: The teacher's like, hey, learn about photosynthesis or whatever, and so they're like looking at little at stuff the microscope, and then the prize for whoever does photosynthesis. The best, I don't know is a golden onion.
Speaker 1: So it's all arow.
Speaker 3: It all goes back to our man, Max Shrek Maximum Terror, Maximilian Terror properly. Okay, Well, uh, I know what you're thinking, Caitlin. You're thinking you're talking about the knockoff track. Sorry, I have to go back to my script. Tell my dumb joke even it no longer flows correctly. You're thinking, that's the knockoff Dracula. What about the real Dracula Bela Lagosi, who started as Count Dracula on Broadway in nineteen twenty seven and in the Universal Pictures nineteen thirty one Hollywood Dracula.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, yeah, okay, cool.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was exactly what I was thinking. But you know, you know what else I was thinking about, Margaret was that we need Caitlin to give us a good sponsor.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's true. We're out of sponsors. We need a good idea for like a Yeah.
Speaker 1: Previous sponsors that we have chosen for this show are potatoes, the concept of potatoes. Yeah, clean, clean, tap water and always cool pillow A front of the pod bridget Todd said, a really good comb.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, how about oh gosh, I know so much pressure, I'm cracking. How about a tasty piece of I was gonna say toast, but that I don't know. That's just the first thing I thought of. I was too busy. I was too busy trying to make a joke about bella logo si Bella Swan. And then that's where my mind was.
Speaker 1: I feel I feel like Kit then wants the podcast to be sponsored by the toilet here.
Speaker 3: All right, we can be.
Speaker 5: I don't condone that, but what about what about like a really good movie, just the concept of a really good concept of r r R, the concept of r R There we are there, you go there, we.
Speaker 2: Are are are rr. Okay, I'll stop.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's the meds. We are back, and we're talking about the fact that while Caitlin was thinking bellis Swan, I was thinking Bella Legosi is Dead by the by Bauhaus and didn't know about bellas Swan's Belliswan from Twilight. Yes, yes, okay, cool.
Speaker 1: I really need to do that movie night.
Speaker 3: I know pop culture. I just know pop culture that is not pop culture, but goth culture. From the nineteen eighties. It's true. I know songs that work came up that were from before I was capable of coherent thought.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. Yeah, and now you know who Bella Swan is.
Speaker 3: That's right, it was Belliswan, one of the vampires.
Speaker 2: Was that spoiler? Well, it's yeah, it's just she's the cool question. It's a it's a yes, exactly, it's a difficult it's the lead. Difficult answer.
Speaker 3: Okay, the lead. Okay, she is Twilight in Twilight. Well, her precursor to the the filmic interpretation of vampires, bel Legosi, was Hungarian, much like Belliswan. Born in eighteen eighty two. Like Belliswan, ran away from a conservative household when he was twelve to become an actor like Belliswan. But this is actually where the similarities end. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I had twelve, I know, and things were wild in the turn of the century.
Speaker 3: This guy was fucking tough, like this guy rules. He runs away from home. He wants to be an actor, but it's not like, oh great, you're an actor school now and you get to be an actor. He works at various blue collar work as a laborer while he sorts all that out. Eventually ends up a silent movie film actor in the nineteen tens in Hungary until World War One, when he volunteers as a ski fighter and he works his way up in the ranks as a ski fighter. He's not fighting, he's on skis.
Speaker 2: What that is a thing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, totally soldiers on skis. Yeah, because there's snow, you're in the mountains, sure, yeah, okay. He gets wounded in action several times, and at one point he was trapped falling on this probably yeah. And then a very common accident happened to him that has happened to everyone when they're at the ski slopes, which was that he was trapped under a mound of corpses. Ah uh, And for some odd, unknowable reason he got what was called shell shock back then but we now call PTSD, possibly related to being buried under a pile of corpses.
Speaker 2: Could be.
Speaker 3: World War One doesn't last forever. Nineteen nineteen comes around and him and a bunch of his buddies, an awful lot of his buddies like the whole working class of Hungary kind of, They decide to overthrow capitalism, so he goes and he overthrows capitalism.
Speaker 2: They win for a moment.
Speaker 3: One hundred and thirty three days you have the Hungarian Soviet and this is nineteen nineteen, so it's like kind of before before the promise of the Soviet Union did not live up to its promise.
Speaker 2: I will put it that way.
Speaker 3: That's my most diplomatic attempt to phrase that. Sure, And so for one hundred and thirty three days they had the Hungarian Soviet and bel Legosi fought in That was because he was a proud union man. He was a member of a locksmith union and a laborer union, and later he helped form an actors union. And he specifically who was like against all of the weird hierarchy and shit within the acting move scene in Hungary. And he has his quote, the former ruling class kept the community of actors in ignorance by means of various lies, corrupted it morally and materially, and finally scorned and despised it for what resulted from its own vices. The actor, subsisting on starvation wages and demoralized, was often driven driven, albeit reluctantly, to place himself at the disposal of the ruling class. Martyrdom was the price of enthusiasm for acting. So if you want to be an actor, you gotta like get treated like shit. And I think that this is not something that happens now. I don't think that people go and get treated like shit by the industry just because they love acting.
Speaker 2: Right, that's changed. Actors are famously treated so well, especially the ones who are still obstensively working class. Yeah no, they're they're they're gods among humans. Yeah, that's they're treating that way. Yeah, No, that's amazing. Yeah, the industry doesn't chew you up and spit you out.
Speaker 3: No, why would it do that. That doesn't seem like it would work against his own interests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dry humor with Margaret and Katon. So that the Soviet falls and a wave of reactionary terror murders a ton of people, and so you got the fuck out. And he goes to Germany, and that's not far enough away. He needs to get further the fuck So he starts working on like a steamboat, and he like steamboats over to the US and he like sneaks into the country illegally because the Hungarian government still after him so illegally immigrates to the US, which is cool. I just want to point that out for anyone who's listening who might think that I have negative feelings about this, I'm listing this as one of the things he did that is.
Speaker 2: Cool, that's badass. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Later he goes back and does it the proper way, and he actually gets used in a lot of like propaganda for like don't illegally immigrate. If you do, go turn yourself in and you'll get treated well and you'll become a star like Bella Legosi. But he gets to the US and he helps found the Screen Actors Guild because unions fucking rule, and in the nineteenth no kidding, yeah, and in the nineteen thirties help start another project, the Hungarian American Council for Democracy, which wanted quote Nazism to be wiped out everywhere. It's a very understandable position. In the nineteen forties, he leveraged all of his fame to help fight for the US to accept Hungarian Jewish refugees. And the final cool thing he did from my point of view, is that when he was buried, he got married in his like Dracula cape nice.
Speaker 2: I actually think is there a reference to that in the movie Ed Wood, I think I there might be, and that might be. How I know about that.
Speaker 3: I believe you, and I think I even saw that movie. But I saw that movie before I understood anything about anything.
Speaker 2: Got it. It's one of my favorite biopics. Although I can I you know, a lot of the people involved in that project, such as Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, you know, suck ass as people. Yeah, but Bela Lugosi played by oh my gosh, who plays him?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Martin Landau is a great character in the movie, and so shout out to that performance. Hell yeah, now I want to rewatch that.
Speaker 3: Although as pointed out, sometimes I struggle to enjoy things when I know just exactly how terrible some of the people involved there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are correct on the casting for that movie.
Speaker 2: Mark Oh, do I know movies or do I know Moviesly do.
Speaker 3: So we've established that all the old draculas are on our side, sorry, old vampires. Some types of people refer to them as draculas because it's funny. But do you know who else is on our side? Kaitlin, tell me it's not the goods and services that support this show. Instead it's one of the most influential styles of cinema. German expressionism. We talked about her a little bit earlier. German expressionism is on our side. German expressionism in the late nineteen tens, Germany was like fucked as hell. They just lost World War One. There's like runaway inflation, totally unfamiliar to today's listeners, and people were like, well, I guess as saving money doesn't do any good because it's worth less every single day, So I'm going to go to the movies, which is kind of a funny response to that, but like, fuck it, I don't know. Hedonism looked different than I guess, you know, And so they everyone went out to the movies and they made really fucking weird movies, and there were intentionally low budget movies, although I think, I mean, you know, they also didn't have any money, right, and so they would use intentionally fake looking sets, and they would make movies that talk about like losing your mind and is basically a response to the realism and film that everyone else was doing about these like grand traditionally structured adventure films or whatever. As one film critic put it, it was the visual manifestation of the romantic ideals with not like romances and people dating, but like romantic as like the romantic poets and shit. R This is at odds with the Nazi worldview. And this stuff, esthetically is what creates both film noir and the first Hollywood horror movies ten years later, and it also found its way into crime film and a bunch of other things. This idea, it happened both because all the filmmakers had to flee the Nazis. The reason that it influenced everything is that all the filmmakers had to fucking flee the Nazis and move to Hollywood. Of them actually while they were there, like donated all their money to the war effort and shit. But film was also influenced by them because Hitchcock went to Berlin in nineteen twenty four and made a film and he was like, oh, this rules. I'm really into what people are doing here, which is to say that anti fascists invented the horror genre. Which again I'd like making these grand, sweeping narrative statements because I'm a fiction.
Speaker 2: Writer, but I'm not un for it.
Speaker 3: I don't disbelieve what I'm saying to be clear, of course, and the expressionists, they were really fucking clear in their anti fascist sentiment. In the nineteen twenties and thirties, Germany wasn't a subtle time for subtle political laity allegiances. The filmmakers who made the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari said they used they used like shocking contrasting lights, you know, and all of this like really intense visual stuff. And it was a reference to their experiences as infantry in World War One with nighttime artillery bombing. And they all came home from that committed anti militarists and pacifists and anti fascists, and they were like, it wasn't just we hate the Nazis because they're taking over our country. They all hated Mussolini and shit. So I'm gonna tell you about one of those actors, Conrad Vite. Have you heard of Conrad Vite?
Speaker 2: I haven't, okay.
Speaker 3: He was an openly bisexual actor married to a Jewish woman, and when the Nazis made everyone in the film industry fill out a form to say what race they were, he just wrote in I'm a Jew, which he knew what the fuck he was doing when he did that and he was like, it was like, I'm in solidarity.
Speaker 2: With my wife. If she's a Jew, then I'm a Jew. Fuck you.
Speaker 3: And they both survived that particular move, which is good. They got out to England, whereupon Vite donated his entire life savings to the English War Effort because he was like, oh my god, please go kill all the Nazis. And then he moved to the US, and he moved to the US specifically because he was like, I'm going to use my star power, etc. To go to Hollywood and try to influence the US to join the war because if the US doesn't join the war, world fucked. And he wounded up playing a villain in Casablanca. It's the role he's most famous for, and he played Nazis.
Speaker 2: He knew.
Speaker 3: He was like, I'm going to go to the US and I'm this like German speaking person in late nineteen thirties or whatever. I'm going to be playing Nazis when I get there. But he wrote into his contract that he would only play Nazis if they were the villains good. And then he kept sending all of his money back to like he would do things like buy thousands of packets of chocolate for British kids who were stuck in bomb shelters on Christmas and shit. And he used his fortune to smuggle his Jewish in laws out out of Austria. And he uses influence. He had a bunch of ex wives because I don't know, people used to marry when they should have just dated.
Speaker 2: Just I mean, living a bachelor lifestyle, but not because they were getting married. Yeah. Look, everyone's a slot and I love that for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And he stayed friends with his exes, which I feel like is like a good judge of a man when he's dating women is if he stays friends with his exes even more than staid friends with his exes. He smuggled his fucking exes out of and his like kid with one of them out of Germany.
Speaker 1: M I I was gonna say, I was gonna say it's a green flag unless his only friends are his exes. Then it becomes a red flag.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, fair enough, fair enough. It makes you.
Speaker 1: Think, as someone who unfortunately dates men, it happens to the best of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, including uh Conrad Wighte who also dated men.
Speaker 2: Orally slept with them.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're married and Conrad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The most famous of these expressionists today is probably Fritz Lang, called the Master of Darkness by some like Film Institute or something. I think they even wrote it down in that way where they said, like, please say it like that. He directed Metropolis. That's what I know him for. He did a bunch of other shit, but when I was like a little edge lord fucking school kid, I really liked Metropolis. And what inspired him was the human instinct to revolt against totalitarianism, whether that totalitarianism was Fascist or Bolshevik. His first day of work as a director, January fifth, nineteen nineteen, he takes a taxi to work and something else happens that day. There was a big fucking uprising in Germany, because Germany in nineteen nineteen was a really interesting time. Basically, the Communists tried to overthrow the Social Democratic Party and the Spartacist uprising and it didn't work. And Fritz Lang didn't take a side in it, but he watched it and he was like, he says, his quote is it was that day, the first day I was to direct that I understood the pawn revolts. I did not become a director that day, but I did become an artist because of that experience. And Fritz Lang fucking interesting. He was a Catholic atheist with Jewish heritage, and like the rest of his generation, he fought in World War One. He lost his right eye. He was wounded four times during World War One, and he's committed anti fascist. He also hates the Bolsheviks, he says everyone when he's talking about why he made Metropolis, he was like, I'm afraid of sutalitarianism. His quote is everyone was talking about the future, and I was afraid of their vision. So I made mine that reflected that fear. And as he said of the Bolsheviks in particular, they're just another uniform. I hate all uniforms. And this is the first dystopia, right as Metropolis. Again, it's funny because when I'm like, oh, the first, this the first that I'm kind of like, I don't know that we know of, right, you know, sure, like there might have been these film scenes and like countries that didn't have end up in America, you know, I don't know. Yeah, his wife, he had worse choice in wife, Thea von Harbow, who wrote Metropolis. She she probably saw it as propaganda of a different sort. She became a Nazi. Uh so Metropolis was made by a couple that was an anti fascist and a fascist.
Speaker 2: Huh uh, Fritz Langdov. That's why you always talk about politics before you marry somebody.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, so what do you think, do you think like master race?
Speaker 2: Like yes, no, you know, important conversation to have. Yeah, well yeah, So first, Lange divorced her, which makes a lot of sense. It is possibly over politics if you read things from his point of view, it's like divorced over politics because she was a fucking Nazi. And if you read things that are like intended as neutral or more from her point of view, are like they were both boning other people and he was a hypocrite because he couldn't stand it because she put up with him boning other people, but he couldn't put up with it when she was bonying other people. And I don't know, I think it was the Nazi thing based on everything else I was reading, I'd imagine. So they were married, I'm seeing for eleven.
Speaker 3: Years, yeah, yeah, throughout the whole twenties, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty two to thirty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so she becomes a Nazi, and it's kind of weird and nonsensical that she becomes a Nazi based on her other politics. She was a pro abortion activist, although of course the Nazis legalized some abortion because they believed in eugenics, because they were fucking Nazis. But and she had to secretly marry her next husband because he wasn't white. He was a dark skinned Indian man. And she later claimed that she joined the Nazis to help Indian immigrants who are living in Germany.
Speaker 2: But she made a.
Speaker 3: Fuck ton of Nazi propaganda films, and she was she was a fucking Nazi. Fritz Lang the Nazis uh cancel one of his films as being dangerous, right, But then the propaganda guy, Joseph Goebbels calls Lang to his office and Fritz is like, oh fuck, I'm fucked, Like fucking Goebbels has just canceled my film. And now I'm like walking into this office and there's like men with guns everywhere and shit, right, and like so Fris Lang walks in and Goebbels is like, hey, uh, we had to cancel your film. I'm sorry about that. You know, it's a verse bad or whatever. But you're really good at filmmaking. What if you become the in charge of the Nazi film studio. You could be like the person who creates nationalist socialist film, Like, don't you want that job? Isn't that amazing? And Chris Lang and Goebbels is like, and it's totally okay the fact that we know you're Jewish, because even though his mom was a practicing Catholic, she'd been like born Jewish or whatever. And so he's surrounded by armed Nazis and he does what probably anyone would do in exactly this position, which is he's like, oh, totally, I would absolutely love that job. And then he gets the fuck out of Germany. He just like goes home, being like, yeah, see you later. I'm totally your guy, gonna be in charge of.
Speaker 2: I'll be there on Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He goes home, He packs up all of his stuff, including a bunch of all of like the Prince of films that he can. He gets the fuck out of Germany. He claims that he never went back, but he actually went back a couple times, I think to go get more shit. A couple times over the next couple of months before he is gone for good, and he grabbed a copy of Metropolis. It's probably for the best he did, although who knows, maybe the Nazis would have fucking loved Metropolis. I'm not sure someone knows. The answer is someone knows whether or not the Nazis love Metropolis?
Speaker 2: Is that the one I will want to say i've seen it? Is it three hours long? Is that the one that's like really long? And this is coming from someone who loves R R R, which is also three hours long. But I was like, I can't be watching Metropolis. It's too long. Oh no, I'm not even correct about that. It's only an hour fifty four. Yeah, so never mind.
Speaker 3: It's it's been I used to be obsessed with this film, but I barely remember it. But I barely remember anything. It's it's a dystopian thing about like there's like workers and they're all basically machines and they get like marched off and put into the underground and there's like a big.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have seen it brag. Yeah. Once again, I just just thought it just seemed maybe just seemed like three hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that is fair. There's also been a million different cuts of it. They like keep re releasing it with different cuts.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe I saw the three Maybe I saw the r r R cut of my trumpet.
Speaker 3: Probably just where they just enter stitch r r R into it in order to make people actually pay attention exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny because I loved all these German expressions horror films, and then like my attention span stopped being capable of watching them for a very long time, and like, I feel like I could be in like the right mood to go and watch these things, but it's not what I'm like. It's not currently what I use film for. I use film to mostly to turn off my fucking brain at the end of work, you know. Yeah, And I don't think that's wrong as much as I'm like, yeah, it's cool that all these people rejected all that, and I'm like, it's also cool when you just fucking embrace it and do entertainment.
Speaker 2: You just got to put on Shrek too, yeah, yeah, and escape into you know, far far away.
Speaker 3: Shadow of the ogre that's done saying yeah. Fris Lang in a nineteen seventy two interview, So he talked about how he like always puts all his violence off screen, because these there's no point putting it on screen. The viewer's imagination can do that. He made an exception, was very proud of this exception and his film Cloak and Dagger. There's a fight. To quote Fritz Lang, I am let me call myself a liberal, which is not very correct, but let me call myself that. And I hate fascists. And this was the fight of a decent man against a fascist. So seemingly my hatred got the better of me. So like, the only violence he puts in his like long, I mean, I don't know, there might be other moments, but like, the only fucking violence he uses is someone stabbing a Nazi. Nice he gets to the US, he makes a film by how fucked up lynching in America is, because he's not trying to just be like only the Nazis are bad. He teams up with Bract he makes an anti fascist film called Hangman Also Die, which is a fucking cool name for a film. He stayed consistent, and so he's credited with the first dystopia, the blueprint for the serial killer movie, the entertainment warflick, and film noir. All fucking Fritz Lang anti fascists get shited done.
Speaker 2: That's my theory.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't just the Germans getting shit done against fascism and film. When we come back on Wednesday, we'll talk about the Hollywood Anti Nazi League, and we'll talk about why the Warner Brothers were cooler than you realize, and we'll talk about Walt Disney, but not as a cool guy.
Speaker 2: No. I was like Walt Disney way was anti Semite.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, shows, is Robert Evans gonna pop up? What's happening, Caitlin? Do you have anything that you would like to plug?
Speaker 2: Sure? You can follow me on social media on Twitter and Instagram at Kaitlyn Dronte because the more followers I have, the more validated I feel as a human being in that yes, a sad fact. You can follow and listen to my podcast, The Bechdel Cast, which is all about movies and examining movies through an intersectional feminist lens. Margaret has been a guest on the episode on We Are the Best, very fun movie about tween punk kids making a band in nineteen eighties Sweden, Right, I think so? And then also you can check out the movie r R R. It's streaming in a few different places, and depending on the city you live in, it might still be in theaters. I saw it last night in Los Angeles, California. Ever heard of it? I hope this age as well. I mean like a school c R r R. Although it has been it's been criticized for being like, you know, Indian nationalist propaganda at a time where the politics in India are a little scary. So I understand. I know about the criticism of the movie, and yet it's the coolest movie ever made. So check out. And that's I'm gonna stop talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, And Margaret, you have a book that's out that people can order, correct do.
Speaker 3: I'm even on book tour right now. If you look at my Instagram at Margaret Killjoy, there'll be some of the tour dates posted, and then I'll get around to posting the rest of the tour dates when I get my shit together. But I have very little free brain space because I'm on tour right now for a book called We Won't Be Here Tomorrow, which is a collection of short fiction available from Akpress anywhere you buy books. If you like people killing CEOs with drones, or you like mermaids who eat men, Or you like people dressing up as Orcs and then fighting Nazis in the woods with swords, or if you like arsonists who fall in love with ghosts, then you might like this book. You might hate it, yes, but you might like Yeah.
Speaker 1: So check out check out at Margaret Kiljoy on Instagram.
Speaker 3: From more Infro on that yeah, and we will see you all on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Bye bye. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website foolzonmedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.