Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty arm Strong and Katty and he Armstrong and Natty.
Speaker 2: UNC football coach Bill Belichick last night made his college debut, and only six years after his girlfriend made her college debut.
Speaker 3: Bill Belichick embarrassingly lost his first Tar Heels game as head coach forty eight to fourteen. The only thing worse would have been at the score was seventy three to twenty four.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good jokes. Yeah, that is a good joke, is it. So we've talked about this many times over the past. A lot of humor is to indicate to others the guardrails we have in society.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In fact, there's that ang T shirt which I have and I wear. It's the Latin phrase, which I can remember. It translates as mockery teaches mortals, right, So that's what's going on there. All the jokes and they're endless everywhere about this is to indicate to others and ourselves that we don't think this is really the best way for society to have dudes hooking up with girls.
Speaker 1: Fifty years younger. Than them fifty.
Speaker 2: Five zero booty for riches, a pretty face for riches. Yeah, we don't know that's what's going on there, but no, but that's where the mockery comes from.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, coming to I was just glancing up at the television where they're showing that Chinese parade, which is absolutely horrifying, absolutely freaking horrifying.
Speaker 1: But that's not what I was going to te.
Speaker 4: Last week or I guess before you went to England, we were talking about how England has gone off the rails in terms of free speech. They just went even further off the rails in the last forty eight hours arresting a guy for a couple of tweets and it's amazing, So stay tuned for that story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I decided against intentionally violating their laws and getting arrested. I thought, you know, let me get through one visit. I'll go back and do that, but I think it'd be an interesting experience. I still would like to do it, which I realized is a nod thing to say and shows premeditation, which will probably get me an.
Speaker 1: Extra day in the brig or the Gulag or the Limey or.
Speaker 5: The cracky or whatever the hell the jail over there anyway, total change of topic.
Speaker 1: There are times I feel like I'm rereading The.
Speaker 5: Great Gatsby or there's another classic Hemingway book or something like that that I remember that The Lover. There was a couple that was kind of at the center of the novel, and the woman was, you know, beautiful and clever, but utterly irresponsible in spending them into oblivion and stuff like that, and the guy would object to it, and she'd say, oh, darling, you so tiresome. You know that that sort of dynamic. And I feel a little bit like the Western world is that.
Speaker 1: Woman, Darling.
Speaker 5: We're spending ourselves into oblivion that we'll never recover from.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't be so tiresome.
Speaker 5: And there are some real signs of it. The bond market. Nobody cares about the bond market. I'll keep this brief. The bond market collectively around the world said, hey, all you Western governments, your debt it's starting to look less attractive.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to pay us more interest to.
Speaker 5: Have us lend you any money, Okay, in a pretty significant way.
Speaker 1: Eh one day we'll see.
Speaker 5: American companies once again beating profit expectations. Way to go, America go. But it's not because of consumer spending and sales. It's because of massive cost cuts, massive layoffs, turning to new technologies.
Speaker 1: The bottom line is better.
Speaker 5: But company after companies as we're holding down hiring and finding ways to get employees to work more efficiently. Oh, which reminds me, where is that The Wall Street Journal had a piece?
Speaker 1: Oh? Here it is.
Speaker 5: Your boss doesn't have time to talk to you. Amazon wants bigger teams. Bank of America is flattening, Corporate America is shedding managers, and the workplace is changing radically. And here it is. According to this data research and advisory firm.
Speaker 1: There was.
Speaker 5: There was one manager for every five employees in twenty seventeen. Looking at big corporations in America, it was a one to five manager to team members in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: It seems like too many managers, doesn't it. Well it could well have been absolutely Yeah. These things move in cycles. It's like, you know, the Grand theory of democracy. I'm always spouting that we veer all the way to the right guardrail, figure, Oh this is too far right, so we go way to the left and then smash into the left guardrail and are way way too far left, and we passed the sweet spot in the middle, and never have any idea anyway. But that one to five has increased to one to fifteen.
Speaker 1: Wow in the intervening eight years. Wow. That's quite a change.
Speaker 5: It appears to be growing further today, according to this management corporation. Google recently said it cut thirty five percent of its managers of small teams following the restructure Amazon as we pronounce it in Britain, one of the US's largest employers, told investors earlier this week it was working to increase the ratio of employees to managers. Many other companies want to flatten hierarchies as well, Intel, Stay Lauder, Match Group, City, Bank of America, you had.
Speaker 1: Personal Service and others.
Speaker 5: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So that's a trend.
Speaker 5: Back to what I was going to talk about there, It is these retailers are selling cameras that are spying for the Chinese Communists. As impressive as that military parade was, I think more impressive is the rest of China's effort to subvert and supplant us all the ways they're effing with us. Pardon my French, We're British, including stuff that we have no clue about. I think most of us, I still say. China decides one day to flip the switch and cell phone service disappears, our banks shut down, the lights go out, maybe the water stop stops flowing. Who knows there's a drone attack on like fifteen different military basis. Yeah, from when that they purchased nearby and nobody cared.
Speaker 1: Right right, yeah, yeah, Oh hey, it's the free market. You know, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: Ah, Not to be too big a downer, but if you're not familiar with Chinese whole of society, thou to achieve their rightful place on earth, which includes stepping on our heads every sink, from bankers to plumbers, to school teachers to filmmakers, every single Chinese person is required by law to aid the effort to become the greatest country China can be. And again, a lot of that has to do with stepping on our heads anyway. So independent analysis have concluded that cameras manufactured by the Dahua company have severe security lapses that enable hackers, including Chinese commies, to access video and audio feeds. Findings that have spurred bands in several other countries. Let's see who has also allegedly provided goods at the Chinese government service of its weaker genocide and among other sins but anyway. Washington Examiner reviewed review identified listenings for Lorex branded cameras that are made by these Chinese people on online storefronts managed.
Speaker 1: By Amazon or I'm sorry, Amazon.
Speaker 5: Best Buy, Costco, Cole's Office, Depot, Home Depot, Wayfair, New Egg, and Target. In other words, everybody selling Chinese spying tools.
Speaker 1: Chijin Ping has just got to laugh himself to sleep every night. Does he die at some point?
Speaker 5: He's kind of a fat old guy. Yeah, you'd think Putin's not fat, but he's old. Why did dictators live so long? It must be good for him anyway. A final note out of Consumer News. Are you a tennis fan? I'm not really, but I noticed the US Open is going on.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of following it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because Venus is still in it for a Blushing Meadows or forty five. She's aged forty five. She's playing doubles with this girl who's twenty two, less than half her age of a bellowchick like relationship, and they've upset a couple of people and made it into the semifinals.
Speaker 1: Good for her.
Speaker 5: I love rooting for the oldsters anyway. So if you go to the US Open, and why wouldn't you, and you get a bit packish, as we say in Great Britain. Here among your venu selections, caviar topped chicken nuggets for one hundred dollars caviar.
Speaker 1: I wish I was kidding. I'm not chicken nuggets. Yes, one hundred dollars. Boy.
Speaker 4: I try to stay away from chicken nuggets, and I don't like caviar, so that's not a lot to like for me.
Speaker 5: There there's a drink cleverly named the Watermelon Slice, which includes a watermelon slice. It's thirty nine dollars. Wow, a forty dollars drink. You're sitting there in the sun, it's a little hot. You're thinking, you know, a little fro yo is exactly what I need. Hey, honey, you get me a fro yo. You want the larger, the small, the Small's fine. Let's be thrifty nineteen dollars for the small frozen yogurt.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I can get past that forty dollars drink. I've never had one drink in my life, so I'm gonna have two eighty bucks. I want to forget all of my problems for at least three days.
Speaker 5: By the way, the nineteen dollars for the small cup of frozen yogurt, it's actually a couple of dollars more than New York's minimum wage.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I don't know what that means. This well, I'll skip to the end. At the end.
Speaker 5: The US Open signature drink, the Honey Deuce, made of vodka raspberry liqueur and topped and lemonade, topped with a skewer of honeydew melon balls. That's twenty three dollars a pop, and they sold thirteen million dollars worth of them last year. WHOA Now this writer trying to make some sort of you know, Hunger Games capital. The Romanovs partying is the surf starve in Russia unit. You got some damn much money. You want one hundred dollars cavard top chicken nuggets.
Speaker 1: I say, go for it.
Speaker 5: Try It's no skin off my note, right, But they point out that the amount of money spent on the honeydewce dring slash year could have bought eight hundred years of groceries for a family of four.
Speaker 1: Oh and if you're just thirsty and want a bottle of water, nine dollars nine dollars for.
Speaker 4: The bottle of water you can get for forty cents at Costco nine dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, I've got the most interesting Epstein news you've heard in quite some time. But first we need to tell you about this is. As you know, cybercrime is everywhere. We talk about it all the time, and we're really into Webroot. Total Protection is a way to deal with that. It scans lightning fast, installs in and takes way less space than those bloated competitors out.
Speaker 5: There, right, and it's so many things in one and trusted Webroot's been protecting people for over twenty five years with a ninety percent customer attention rate.
Speaker 1: That says something.
Speaker 4: You can get VPN coverage in sixty five countries, unlimited cloud backup, and identity protection for up to ten people so I can cover my whole family.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, you.
Speaker 5: Get identity protection and virus profection, all that stuff and VPN services fabulous and if identity threat theft does strike, quit you on. You're covered with up to a million dollars in reimbursements, and you can get fifty percent off webroot Total Protection or webroot Essentials right now webroot dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 1: Ma'am, make the first move, don't let the cyber criminals do it.
Speaker 4: Get fifty percent off webroot Total Protection or webroot Essentials today at webroot dot com slash armstrong. Protect what matters most before it's too late. The most interesting Epstein news you've heard is only like twenty seconds long.
Speaker 1: So I'll do that when we come back. I promise this will be short.
Speaker 4: I refuse to be drug into a conversation on the list Joe decides to go off on it. I will not say another word other than this. This is what Mark Alpern wrote in his newsletter today about Congress coming back and starting up with the Epstein talk again. There remains not one public, credible evidence backed specific allegation against anyone besides Epstein and Maxwell as it pertains to a child sex trafficking ring.
Speaker 1: None the end, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: Okay, if this were a different era, we would have come back with the Google Google Dolls song iris. We can't play songs anymore because of copyright thingies. But anyway, that song was according to the Wall Street Journal, And you've heard the song, even if you don't think you've heard no the song, know the song because you can't. I couldn't escape it for a while. You can't escape it now. That song was the number one streamed song of the summer. It's from nineteen ninety two or whatever, is forty some years old. Oh this summer, this summer.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it was in some.
Speaker 4: Netflix show, and for whatever reason, everybody who is like the nineties was their heyday was like, oh yeah, I love the Googoo Dolls and started streaming that song again. And then it caught on as a big karaoke thing, and so it was the number one stream song in the summer, and the Googoo Dolls just happened to be out touring, you know, like you do if you're a band forty years later and now you're old men and you think, hey, that'd be kind of fun. Maybe we'd make a couple of dollars playing at the county Fair. They're bigger than they've ever been. They're bigger than they were in the nineties, and the lead singers, I ammed, we don't know, this is so crazy. We go around and we play absolutely packed houses. We can't sell enough T shirts. We never thought this would happen. I just thought that was kind of funny.
Speaker 5: Well not to e Quipple, but what I'm say backing this through it was thirty years ago, and change if it was ninety two, but no, because I'm thinking through the cycle of you're hot, then you're not hot, then you're old, then you're Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Love those guys again.
Speaker 5: But you've got to wander through the desert of irrelevant and kind of embarrassing.
Speaker 1: For fewer years than I think you used to. And I was.
Speaker 4: I was listening to it. So I read this and then I dialed it up and I was listening to it. And it's got the whole, you know, that whole period of ninety songs where they were all that you bleed just to know you're alive, just all that angst that that all those songs from that era had that inward.
Speaker 1: My life sucks. It's so tough to be a live thing. And I'm super emotive. Yeah, that kind of previewed where we were going. I feel like as a nation, for better or worse.
Speaker 4: But that's gotta be something when you think you're doing your kind of embarrassing has been County Fair tour part of your life and you end up being bigger than you were back when you were young and attractive.
Speaker 1: That's not you take.
Speaker 4: Good for them, Yeah, exactly good for them. You take the break, says they come. I was talking to how much time by Michael? Okay, two minutes, I'll start it. Maybe we'll talk about it more later. I was talking to my niece, saw her Walter in Kansas for my dad's birthday and all that sort of stuff. She was in Australia all summer interning for a doctor. There's part of her university education and become a doctor. She was talking about how Sydney was so clean, no homeless people, no trash, nobody talked about crime or anything like that, and it got me starting started on the topic I think about a lot is just culture. The culture we have in the United States, the permissive culture we've let toward cultural decay, the cultural decay that we've allowed in this country over many many dedays, and whether or not we can turn it around.
Speaker 1: And Australia is.
Speaker 4: What we were like in the forties, fifties or just the culture was clean, neat, orderly. We don't put up with crime or trash and we let that go away. And you know, you don't have to do that. It's not just inevitable that that happens, right, right, Yeah, it's all a question of balance though. No, no, because I'm thinking of an example. I don't have time for this whole story. I shouldn't have launched you don't. I shouldn't have launched into this. I'll have to get into it later, because I think it's a very important discussion about the culture of just allowing nonsense to occur.
Speaker 1: You don't have to have that.
Speaker 4: It's not the laws, it's the culture that doesn't get enough attention.
Speaker 5: Being tolerant to the point of, well, we have to put up with anything, no matter how horrifying, because we're not allowed to say we don't like anything. I mean, it's just kosis. It's terrible to that. But you're right, that is an important discussion.
Speaker 4: You to that point, Trump sending the National Guard or talking about sending in the National Guard into Chicago to deal with the crime.
Speaker 1: Is it legal? Is it constitutional? Is it allowed? All right?
Speaker 5: Those are really good questions. Here's something nobody's talking about.
Speaker 1: It's working.
Speaker 5: It's working unbelievably well, arm strong and getty.
Speaker 6: When you crunch the numbers here that fifty people were shot at last check, eight of them fatally. We're told those numbers could likely go up later this morning, after the full weekend count. Numbers like that only bolster the White House's message that true presence is needed in Chicago.
Speaker 7: I think it does, and I think what the President can point to is the reduction in crime in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Since he federalized DC's police.
Speaker 7: Since he deployed National Guard on the streets, assaults are down compared to a similar period last year. Assaults were down from fifty three to forty three. Burglaries were down from seventy seven to forty. Violent crimes were down by about half. Homicides were down by more than half. Combined violent crime incidents in twenty twenty four during that same period, we're one hundred and eighty incidents. During the time that the Trump had National Guard on the streets, during the time he had federalized federal police, crime went down to ninety two incidents, so we're seeing a big reduction crime.
Speaker 1: So there you go. That's from News Nation, that's not Fox.
Speaker 4: Just going through the crime statistics of how much it changed with the National Guard troops there.
Speaker 1: And I was listening to Morning Joe This Morning Joe Scarborough saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that people are on social media talking about the dictator takeover and how awful this is and their protests. He said, but everybody, I know, when we get onto a train and we see National Guarden troops, we get on the subway, we think cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 5: You should point out that was News Nation and not you know, avowedly conservative outlet, none other than Murial Bowser, the insufferable mayor of DC is saying, hey, this is like really really working well and the way I was thinking of presenting this information originally, and we've kind of already done it. But is that the question of Trump deploying like the National Guard to Chicago and whether that's legal, constitutional, etc. I mean, you have the Posse Comatatis Act of eighteen seventy eight, maybe you know it. Essentially the US military can't be used to execute domestic law it's not what they're there for. We don't want that, and we don't want that. And it's a worthy question and a good one and an interesting one, and we will work our way through it.
Speaker 1: With the help of some very very helpful judges, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: But that's a distraction from like the question that affects actual human beings and their lives, and that question is why is it so miserable in America's blue cities and can anything be.
Speaker 1: Done about it? Answer is yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 7: It can be.
Speaker 4: That's what even Scarborough was saying on MSNBC, and I mentioned him because he's they're such an important voice for the left that MSNBC show.
Speaker 1: Scarborough even saying, you standing up there saying we.
Speaker 4: Don't want your troops in our city while the headline over your head is fifty some shot, eight dead, is not working.
Speaker 1: That's not the way normal people react.
Speaker 4: Normal people react to holy crap, fifty some people were shot in one weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something needs to be done, of course, says I was ranting about yesterday.
Speaker 5: It takes an Ivory Tower type or a media type to look at the numbers and not say, my god, this is horrible and I don't want to live like this. I mean, yeah, if I got stabbed five times yesterday and today I got stabbed four times, that's a twenty percent decrease.
Speaker 1: In the stabbings. I don't want to get stabbed anymore. I don't think it's a difficult point to make.
Speaker 4: So the One Street Journal seems to think there will never be a National Guard troop in Chicago, but Trump will get the full political win out of it anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And there's there's Trump again, and there's politics again. Although politics is like everything we govern ourselves and Trump is almost a distraction here. Uh. And I was gonna get to this point ultimately, But it's about policy. It's about Yes, we can make our world better closer to home the more you know.
Speaker 1: True, that is.
Speaker 5: But no, crime and filth and junkies and misery and fear are absolutely not inevitable.
Speaker 1: They're the opposite. Well, they're evitable. Uh, they can absolutely be affected.
Speaker 5: A couple more things very quickly on the mur Muriel browser thing, Bowser thing, and and at some point Michael reminded me, I really want to take just a few minutes to make the case of how stupid Brandon Johnson is the mayor of Chicago.
Speaker 1: He is a stupid, awful, stupid man. Two stupids. Yes, anyway, excuse me.
Speaker 5: A DC mayor Muriel Bowser just issued in an executive order that requires local coordination with federal law enforcement quote to the maximum extent allow by law within the district, no expiration date. That's the deep blue Mayor of DC is like, this is the best thing that's ever happened. All law enforcement cooperate with these people all the time, please, starting now forever. Bowser issued in an executive order that requires local coordination with federal law enforcement.
Speaker 1: Oh I already read that it's a repeat by law.
Speaker 5: Trump's federalization of the DC Police Force lasts thirty days and is except to expire next week. Bowser's announcement may well any showdown over what happens after. By authorizing continued coordination between the city and federal authorities, I have to be like just so.
Speaker 4: Drenched in the brainwashing of Trump derangement syndrome to get on to walk around the corner in urban DC and see a National guardsman and your first thought be, oh my god, it's fascism as opposed to cool I'm not gonna get.
Speaker 1: Robbed here, right exactly.
Speaker 5: Now, DC is a special case if you're not hip to this, because it's a essentially the responsibility of federal government, and the federal government. Congress can can grant DC autonomy in certain ways. It's like, you know, you let your kid plan dinner or whatever. But if your kid's the dinner plan is ball bearings and malt liquor, well.
Speaker 8: You're going to get a good meal, not at all, not neither savory nor nutritious, a little hard to digest a right, Michael, there are a hundred things wrong.
Speaker 5: But anyway, at that point you would say, uh, okay, no, now we're having meet and potatoes in avestable. And that's the relationship with the federal government has with DC. If you're not familiar with this, Chicago's very different case. They don't have that relationship. But that's why I'm a little bit annoyed by the distraction of some of the you know, the big politics of this, because again, in terms of how people actually live, the lesson the takeaway ought to be, yes, we can deal with this. The I think this is The editorial board of the journal points out this is a failure of democratic big city governance. Mister Trump is showing in DC that the streets can be made safer if political leaders have the will. The presidents deployed federal officers DC National Guard. Now carjackings are down eighty seven percent from.
Speaker 1: A year ago. Now, Muriel Bowser, who initially was.
Speaker 5: Muling about federal overreach, blah blah blah, and she opposes massed immigration agents, troops from other states, blah blah blah, but quote, we greatly appreciate the surge of officers.
Speaker 4: Well, did you see the quote from that federal judge who said it was illegal the way Trump sent troops to LA He included in his declaration that it was illegal. Some line about clearly Trump is trying to establish a fascist national army today. Okay, as soon as you start with that talk, I know that you're an id log and you're not just looking at the law, right, I mean, and it's it's poisonous and frustrating as a you know, normal citizen that people go to that crap as opposed to saying, wow, what Trump did really helped people have happier, safer lives.
Speaker 5: There are limits to federal power. How can we get that result in maybe a little different way. No, the judge goes to Isday's try and establish a fascist federal army.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Jason Riley speaking of the Journal, brilliant writer. His headline today simple solution of violent crime, more cops. The connection between poverty and lawlessness is complicated, but Trump gets a basic point right, and he's for what it's worth a black man, I don't know. He's a thinker and that's all I care about. But he's talking about the utter, undeniable wrongness of the progressive view of policing and an incarceration and how clearly if there's an imbalance of black guys in prison, that proves racism and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And he quotes a book that I really have to get a hold of.
Speaker 5: It'll join in one hundred other books in an honored stack of things I may never read. But it's from a fellow by name of Rafael Manguel, who is a Manhattan Institute scholar, and he wrote this a couple of years ago. But it's criminal justice. What the push for decarceraization and deep policing gets wrong and who it hurts the most. And the book is all about empirical data on crime control strategies that the moron Brandon Johnson is staunchly against. He could not be more against traditional policing, incarceration, and the bizarre and racist notion that, look, we got laws and we got penalties for breaking the law. Now follow me here, if you break the law, you're going to get those penalties. Say, moron Brandon Johnson is against that. And he's not just an ideologue. There are plenty of very bright people who are ideologue and their ideology.
Speaker 1: Makes them stupid. Brandon just came to the table stupid.
Speaker 5: But anyway, quoting from the book, the book cites empirical data on crime control strategies that mister Johnson dismisses as vouted as out of date. But Mangoil writes, quote, if I had to summarize one of the most concent and robust findings in the criminology of literature in a single sentence, it would be more policing means less crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't doubt that.
Speaker 5: Academic paper a couple of years ago on policing Washington found the quote an increase in police presence of about fifty percent leads to a statistically an economically significant decrease in crime in the order of fifteen percent. Twenty sixteen study concluded that an increase in private police controls around the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia, quote decreased crime in adjacent city blocks by forty three to seventy three percent. And interestingly, Jason Riley makes the point that this disproportionately helps black people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't doubt that, because if you live in a nice neighborhood, you already don't have crime, and more cops in the areas where they do have crime, isn't you're paying for it, But it's not going to help you winning.
Speaker 5: Oh right, Yeah, And actually I want to hit some of those stats in a moment after a word from our friends at Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: The first oh, I know, I know. It's fantastic. So you got both their season kicking off, You got both.
Speaker 4: Your Super Bowl teams playing first two days. You got the Eels on Thursday night, you got the Chiefs on Friday in Brazil for some weird reason. But that's very, very cool that you get the best teams playing right off the bat. And now you can take your opinions, which you're very proud of about who you think is going to be good and who's not going to be good. And you can put your money where your mouth is with Prize Picks. Yeah, and they're doing something really cool now. They have Prize Picks Max discounts.
Speaker 1: Let's see that. Downloads of Prize Picks aff today.
Speaker 5: Use the code armstrong to get fifty dollars in lineups after you play your first five dollars lineup. Again, you need that code armstrong. But they have these max discounts that you look it up. They used to call them free squares, but they're like super great easy propositions for you.
Speaker 1: Check it out.
Speaker 5: All you do is pick more or less on at least two player stat projections, mix up teams, heck, even mix up sports if you want. Could not be easier and more fun.
Speaker 4: Again, the code is armstrong to get fifty dollars in lineups after you play your first five bucks price picks.
Speaker 1: It's good to be right.
Speaker 5: I love that slogan as it is so back to Jason Riley the Journal talking about crime and policing and how it is. I mean, it's as clear as if you put your hand on ha stove it hurts. If you can increase policing, you decrease crime. But that point he makes there at the end, I don't know why we can't make that work for the country. Remember the whole idiotic defund the police thing that caught fire there for a while, which is the dumbest slogan in the history of everything. Why can't the argument be made better that no, no, no, no, more cops in your neighborhood is disproportionately.
Speaker 1: Unfair to the taxpayer. I mean, this is one of those things you should like.
Speaker 4: The people that don't have crime in their neighborhoods are paying for more cops in your neighborhood because you pay less taxes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, in the racial part of this, which is so easy to demo demogogue, Look, black people disproportionately murder more than any other ethnic group, and they mostly murder other black people.
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable with that ge, sorry, but that's the fact.
Speaker 5: And according to a twenty twenty analysis of the race specific effects of larger police officers, there is now a strong consensus in the academic literature that increasing the presence and visitibility cops reduces crime and moreover, the authors found that quote, though the total reduction in homicide is roughly equal across black and white victims, that a climate homicide is twice as large for black victims in per capita terms.
Speaker 1: Sure, because there are fewer black folks.
Speaker 5: So yeah, if you break it down by your rate or per capita, increasing policing is the best thing you could possibly do for black neighborhoods.
Speaker 4: Any thoughts on any of that? Text line four one five two nine five kftc.
Speaker 1: Armstrong Spirit Airlines.
Speaker 6: Just filed for bankruptcy for the second time in less than a year.
Speaker 1: It's not good right now. Their accountants are drunken than they're pilots. Yeah. Oh so uh.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of talk obviously about crime and how you deal with it and everything like that in the National Guards. And I didn't get to finish this thought last half hour, so I'm going to do it here.
Speaker 1: The cultural part of it.
Speaker 4: May very well be the biggest part of it, and I don't know what you do about it after it has slid. And I've thought about this my whole life, or anyway, since I moved out of rural areas.
Speaker 1: I grew up in rural America.
Speaker 4: Nobody locked their doors, you left your keys in your car, You didn't worry about it.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a problem. You didn't have crime.
Speaker 4: So then I start living in more urban areas where people lock up stuff, and I always attributed it to it being something to do with urbanization, when you get people closer together and packed more tightly or whatever, and so more anonymous. Certainly that plays a role. But then I remember hearing this the old Dennis Miller radio show. If you remember that from back in the day, he had Red Buttons on, a comedian. Doesn't matter if you know who any of these people are. The important thing is this guy Red Buttons, who was very, very old and grew up in the early twentieth century, was telling Dennis Miller about how great New York City was back in the day. He said, back in the forties, you could go out, you could take your wife to or your girlfriend to a Broadway show, and you'd walk down the street and you'd sleep in Central Park at night and wait up in the morning, and and and and Dennis was like, you'd sleep in sunder parts. So, yeah, nobody's worried about crime or anything like that. And that hit me really hard of course. Okay, so it's not necessarily the urban thing. It's not just everybody being packed together that causes it to be crime. It's something cultural. Remember when Michael Moore that made that movie about Columbine and it was up in Canada, going door to door and showing that all the doors were unlocked. That's the way I grew up. You can have a culture of we just don't steal stuff and hurt people. Right now, how you create that, I'm not exactly sure how that happened. And it was that way for a very long time, still that way in many parts. If you live in an urban area, it's still that way in many parts of the country. You live in a country full of people who don't worry about locking their doors or having their keys in their car in front of their house.
Speaker 1: They just don't have to.
Speaker 4: So it's a can be a cultural thing. I don't know how you get it back. I don't know if you can get it back.
Speaker 5: That was one of the more interesting aspects of our travels to London, and then conversations with friends who had been to other cities around the world. How much safer they are than a lot of American cities. How there's just not junkies laying everywhere and bum camps and crime. Yeah, it's it's cultural. It's you know, politics is downstream of culture. And obviously this discussion could be like not only one book but a series of them. But one major aspect of it is a question of unity. Whether you feel like you are part of something that you want to be good. It's as simple as that. Whether America is a place you believe in and you feel like you have a role in making it a good place.
Speaker 1: Maybe or your town, or your city or or your state.
Speaker 4: I think it's a very very underappreciated, understudied aspect of.
Speaker 1: Civilization and human nature. Yes, very complicated, but yeah, that could be a lot of it. Just unity. It's complicated in a way, but it's heart. It's very very simple. I think.
Speaker 4: We blowed the but Jesus out of some people in a boat yesterday down by Venezuela.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that. We'll talk about that in hour three. Armstrong and Getty