Speaker 1: Welcome back to Unplugged. This episode is presented by DraftKings the Crowd of Drawers. Let's get on with the show because we've got a great guest today, one of the greatest in my opinion all around point guards. We've ever seen someone who should be getting the Hall of Fame phone call? How many more years you gotta wait? Night? He's ready, Okay, so the phone is open, NBA. Just so y'all know. Welcome to show. Rajon Rondo, appreciate that. I appreciate you stopping by. Man, you got a lot of great things going on. Congratulations at thirty nine, you just graduated from Kentucky late than never. I love that. Talk to me what was behind you going back and just what was that experience like, did you get a chance to go in class and be with some of the kids. What was it like?
Speaker 2: You know, like what you just mentioned, you know, at a tough time in my life, I had a lot of downtime and dropped my kids off of school. I had another five six hours to do nothing right. And shout out to my guy, Mike Stone, academic of Ayeshm University, Kentucky. He was there when I was back in college. He's still there and he always caught me every summer, Hey, come back, come back, come back. Nah, next year, next year.
Speaker 1: So down.
Speaker 2: When I retired, I was like, you know what, let me find purpose, a new reason for purpose and getting up every day, going to school, being around to young, young students. It was great for me. My family gave me motivation. I would drive an hour day to Lex and like I said, that time they would think I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't make it. The class was only five minutes away from me. I couldn't make it. You drove hour?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I drove out. I mean I love I love the drive. I'm a driver. Everybody know me, my family. One day, I'm a drive across the country. But I love to drive. And like I said, being on the road, it's an hour up the street, getting around the young energy, calling back, telling a wife like look, I love what I'm doing like this, this is what it means. And then like I said, this also getting my degree before my daughter, my kids graduated, that was also my extra motivation.
Speaker 1: Did the NBA pay for that because they did a window? Right? Yeah? Plain that. So there's a window when you retire of if you want to go back to school they'll pay.
Speaker 2: For it, right, correct, Yeah, there's I think it's like a four year gap, but they pay up to twenty thousand a year. And like I said, you got to keep a certain GPA, but other than that they'll pay for And also for me, I was fortunate the University Kentucky wanted to pay for it, so I had both options.
Speaker 1: They should have gave you that extra nil money your second season with the Bucks, I remember talking about going into the situation. We haven't talked since you've been in this This year, your role has increased a little bit. Explain what your role is and and and you know what you love about it. Obviously. I know your in goal is to be a head coach, and I feel like in the next two or three years that's going to happen. But what is your experience like this year sitting alongside someone we both know very well, Doc Rivers.
Speaker 2: That's my guy, you know, shout out to coach, one of my greatest mentors I've ever had in my life. He's always been real, uh you know, impactful my life, very honest with me and like I said, I always uplifting. So I told the story before, but again he came to my wedding a couple of years back and was like, you know, get your ass in Milwaukee. So ever since, I've been last year with the biggest difference from last year and this year is me being able to be on the bench. And last year, funny story, the first time I was on a bench UH against the Celtics after the game and Marie gets a call saying that we could have forfeited a game or lost the game because I was on the bench. They had an extra coach. Last year, my title was coaching the coaching consultant, and this year is more coaching assistant. So that's what I'm fortunate now this year being able to, you know, when I'm in and Waukee, be able to get on the bench and talk to the guys in game because me being in the back on the sideline, you know, I think it doesn't benefit anyone at all, you know, I mean, like I can help you after the game or before the game. But that was my greatest strength is being able to help my guys in live moments during the game.
Speaker 1: You've had a lot of guys before this opportunity that would reach out to you for mentorship in training, and I think there's a preconceived knock on this generation that they're hard to teach. They're hard to coach. We both coach, coach our children and coach kids younger than them. What is their openness and receptiveness been to you? You in their ear?
Speaker 2: Very humbling? I mean, so many young guys reach out and when I talk, you know, their eyes are big and wide. So it's like to have that type of respect from the young greats. Next generation is very humbling, and like I said, for me, it's only right, you know, it's only right for me to give the game back, you know, paying forward guys like you know, Kevin Garnett, you know, Paul Pierrice, my older vets. You know, that's what they did for me, you know. So it's what it's about, holding them, hold them accountable and giving it back.
Speaker 1: So give me an example. If I'm a young fella and I reach out to you, what I mean, what what do? What do you mean you're gonna do? Obviously we're gonna be on the court getting shots, We're gonna be watching film. Talk to us about what kind of stuff we would be doing. We're doing everything, you know. It depends on where you are on life. Like I said, I got a couple of.
Speaker 2: Kids that that's moved to Kentucky for our program. For me as a mentor, I want to know, teach those guys from all my mistakes and what I did great while I excel that and then how to technically be a pro.
Speaker 1: Someone who's made a big jump this year has been Ryan Rollins fourth year of the league, his really first, his first year of really finding his footing in this space. Someone who's averaging seventeen and and what six like five point five? Yeah, almost six assists a game, but also shooting fifty two percent and forty five from the three. Someone who's made an impact.
Speaker 2: Most improved player year, that's what you just described.
Speaker 1: It sound like put it, put it, put it out there. I mean he jumped from what six to sixteen? Right six to seventeen? Excuse me?
Speaker 3: And that was a two way player, got traded, Yeah, got waved.
Speaker 1: He was in the CP three Jordan Poole situation. But he's found his footing. Uh. And and I can just tell knowing that your role has increased this year, that's someone's ear you've been in absolutely taught to us about him.
Speaker 2: Uh, actually coming late here. They're actually in Cleveland, down and he reached out, was like, hey, jump on you know FaceTime for thirty minutes of gets some film man. So of course, uh, that's my role and that's what I wanted to do. And obviously working with you guys is easy. It's always easy coming here. So uh, watch a film with him, you know, not necessarily a daily base, but every three or four days we try to break down the game. And it's what I love about him as if lately he's been asking me like real questions, like you know, how do you manipulate a game? I don't want to watch one or tw clips. Let's actually watch a full game and you tell me what you're thinking during those times. So it's been fun teaching him that type.
Speaker 1: Of you know, what is it like when you see a younger kid's light bulb come on? Because again, we're both in the youth space right now, and we feel like this generation is the most skilled generation we've ever seen, but I feel like they lack game IQ strategy i Q and and and and sets and all that. So when you start seeing the light bulb come on from these guys, because again, it's it's all once they apply theirselfs it'll it'll.
Speaker 2: And I think that's due to lack of teaching. Teaching is and where it needs to be, all right, but how it makes me feel as exciting? You know, I get into it. I'm watching so much film right now, and it's ridiculous. Like I said, I'm watching films.
Speaker 1: And it's everything from because you got to watch the NBA film.
Speaker 2: Then I got my son and you got yourself, and then I got kids that play a different school. That's how you program watching their film is what I do. You know, appreciate my wife and family allow me to get away like that. But like I said, this is what I love to do. I love to teach and just learn the game. And at so many different levels, it's been fun and I feel like I'm really great at it.
Speaker 1: What have you got to see? And you've been blessed in your career to play with some of the greatest power forwards the game has ever seen? What have you got to see on a day end or when you're there from Jannis not just on the court, but also off the court in his his his support system with his brothers there and his family very close to the to the to the organization. What have you got to see us just kind of the man, the player, maybe some of the stuff we wouldn't get to see on it on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: He's a great teammate, you know. I think that's a lot of similarities with kevimcguarnt at how he was Guys like playing with him.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's extremely hard worker and he's open to criticism. You know, I think a lot of superstars. You know, I don't know everybody obviously, but you know, you hear the chatters out there as far as him not being able to be coachable and for guy like himself, I know, the difference between having his brother here this year versus last year is a big difference.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's a great human being and a great great a lot of great energy, great support for him.
Speaker 1: So his game, what do you feel like the next evolution in his game is over the last few years. I think he's toned down is his his three attempts. He's obviously been working on his jump shot. He's the best and one of the greatest of all time getting downhill and putting pressure on the rim. Where do you see as someone who really thinks and sees the game in for him? What's he having six assists this year? Yes, someone you feel like is the best peer passing big possibly in the game next to Jokic. What do you feel like the next step in his game? Is?
Speaker 2: Oh, great question, you know, I think we challenge him every day on the staff. Is you know, just being a better communicator on defense, being able, like I said, for him being a veteran, a champion, he's seen all the defenses and all the offenses that pretty much they're all pretty much the same now, being a better communicator and putting guys on the right spot, especially with it, like I said, he's had, you know, new teammates the last couple of years. Injuries happens, you scoots out, So we got to put guys in certain roles and it's harder for him to adjust versus him being in the league for you know, twelve plus years and understanding like what the game is asking him and helping us a little bit more with that.
Speaker 1: When you're watching film, like what are you looking for that you feel like maybe the players aren't being out there.
Speaker 2: I can't give you the whole answer to that.
Speaker 1: Matt, but we don't want to unlock the secret everybody.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because to me now, like when I'm watching film, and obviously it's no no knock to you know, Doc or anything, it's like that, But when I'm watching film, I'm always like looking on how you know I could win the game in a sense of like if I would have made different coaching changes strategies, or if I would stayed with what where they actually work. So it's just fun being able to do that. And then also kudos to the staff. They're they're you know, they're not threatened to intimidated by me speaking out a voice in my opinion, Like and as a player, I went to a lot of teams where you know, coaches will be like, hey, we want you to be yourself, and then I wasn't how to be myself. So it's been very humble to kind of be work with the you know, the Milwaukee Buck staff. You know, they're great, great men. And I told Doc, if I ever get my shot, I'm gonna try to take everybody because like, you got guys that work really hard and they're great at what they do.
Speaker 1: So that's dope. What have you learned now about coaching that you maybe didn't have an appreciation or an understanding for now that you're more in a co have much time full time.
Speaker 2: How much time they put into the game plan and then for players to come out and like not execute the game plan. Like that's that's been like you understand that now the biggest chance like why like you know what I mean, It's like for me, it's like, man, we're all pros. You know most of some do don't have families, Like we have one job, like understand the game plan. Let's go into about it and make sure you understand the game plan period because I mean, like I said, the amount of time like for its like players don't know like coaches. You know, we play Cleveland night, coach will watched five games minimum and then know everything about it and started the next time. It's like and then we're telling you don't let this guy go right, and then you go back and watching him to night and he went right eight times just like either I mean, it's like what is it? What's the disconnect? That's that's make it makes sense. So that's I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it doesn't turn off as a coach. That's why I had some opportunities. When I finished, I'm just like nah, like I was the schedule of the player was wearing me down. Like I couldn't imagine, like not turn off, I'd be taken away from my kids.
Speaker 2: Just appreciate when the coach is telling you something, especially if he's putting in the work. You know, like we don't know what all, but like guys are working tirelessly hours of certain things that specifically that they are asked to be. You know, great that so dis appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Doc's been in your life for nearly twenty years. You know, it's documented when you guys at the beginning, you guys with butt has because of your competitiveness and and and both your levels of IQ coached you coached against you Now sitting on the bench with him, what is it about him that has allowed him to continue to do this Because he's taken a lot of heat, you know, some some fair, some unfair. Where do you think he kind of still finds the drive to to do this?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is who he is as a as a human being. You know, he's a great person. He loves to teach, you know, kind of like myself. I feel like I have a lot of similarities with coach, and you know he's an underdog. You know, he always wants to prove, you know, himself. And like I said, this overall he loves to help, you know, he loves helping people. Where he puts a lot of people on you know, he's I can't say, I can't say anything negative or you know, some shady city he's ever done in my life, like I said, other than when we got into a young but again I was a kid trying to figure out my role with my strength and on that team. So he's always been gumie and honest, you know, saying he has great people around him, shout out to a Marie, Uh, she's in her field. And so like I said, I you obviously know for me, he say, He's always been honest with me. And like I said, even then we have we have great moments on the court. As a coach player, it was always respect to where we were always trying to do the same thing, which was the greater good for the team.
Speaker 1: I mean we had our differences and and and definitely bumped heads and but at the same time there was still a respect I had for him because I appreciated the work he put in and one of the greatest communicators and and and and motivators. I've ever been here that part through this wall right here war and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Not to cut you off, but I want to say, like for me, like from start, from day one, even when I was working with him back in Boston with Thibodeaux and Lawrence Frank, like he always empowered his coaching staff. And that's what I like, a lot of coaches don't do that. I played for a bunch obviously in my career, but like even now, fast forward to Milwaukee now, I mean Greg Buckner, Darbingham, Dave Yeager, like he allows all them to beat himself, like have a voice, and like I said, I love how we empowered him.
Speaker 1: Do you have a funny story that you could share about you and Doc button Heads early on?
Speaker 2: I don't know about I got so maybe the when I blew the TV up. We gotta fined twenty thousand with busting the TV.
Speaker 1: What happened? Talk to me about that?
Speaker 2: We were watching film and so.
Speaker 1: What year in the league is this for you?
Speaker 2: I forgot of maybe two thousand and nine, so it's probably year my third year or something. Like I said, we were playing Detroit Pistons and you know, I said, I've obviously I watched him the night before. So we come in and we're in the locker room. I think I'm across some shack Jermaine O'Neill, Kevin's down at in my right.
Speaker 1: By.
Speaker 2: I think I'm about Eddie House, like watching film boom watching film. We're talking about Chouncey buillets for some reason, and I think Chauncey didn't have a great game that particular game, but Rip was killing us off a floppy action. So I just knew. Because they're coming film, I like, it can't be me today. Here we go. We're going film. You know happened Chancey with? Like why is he shot? Even on there? In my head? Okay? Rondo, okay, cool? Right cool? Two three possessions later again, I'm like, hold on, I look, I'm looking across some shock looking at me like be cool. He's like, don't do it, and I'm exploding. I'm ready to go crazy. So I'm like, man, why are we here talking about me when Rip had like thirty two or something last night? You know what I mean. So that's what kind of pissed me off. And I'm like, man, fuck if I jump up boom, throw a water about TV TV explode Boom busted me and doctor immediately trying to go at it like they got it between us or whatever. They told me, get masked out, go take a walk. I'm shirt off. It's like thirty two degrees in Boston. I take a walk down the street, come back in, you know, I say, I gotta get my shit. I get out and what I love and respect the most. The one person that called me that night was Kevin Garnett and he was like, you was wrong. I was like what He's like, yeah, man, he was wrong. I was like, okay, cool, So like him holding me accountable like that, and like I said, because at that time, I'm like, man, fuck, am I wrong? When you know, it's like if you're pointing a finger at me and I'm not the problem, like call it, you know, color how it is? I called the spade of space. So that's what kind of made I was. That's why I was frustrating like that from that day. For like, we've always been tight ever since the same ship that happened with me.
Speaker 1: And I was literally telling the same ship Blake and DJF there were kind of bullshitting, but I took two shots, and he like went in on both my shots. When we played the Warriors, I'm like, what the fuck? What about the ship that Draymond and all these mothers? And I felt the same way, And and we told the story. We just had DJ is hit man, chill, bro man, just chill, and I got up and the whole the whole film set went like like what he about to do? Because I'm in the far corner with DJ and CP is over here by us, and I have to walk past Doc to go out. So I jump up and go around the chair, and I'm kind of like, I don't know what I'm gonna do, and I just look at him and I ended up walking out. Go watch the DJ episode when it drops. I don't want to boris with all that, but it's the same ship. Like I felt like he maybe he felt like he needed to come through me to get to them, or.
Speaker 2: I was too young in the game for that. Yeah, I felt like you got all the biggest over here, the Big three, like they got to eat that, especially when it was it was daytime to give me.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how my ship went down.
Speaker 2: You gotta get jamain O Neel up here. Too.
Speaker 1: We haven't had jail. We have we have we have had jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he got a story. He came in with some tims on one day.
Speaker 1: But that's let's hear about it.
Speaker 2: I gotta hit him. Tell it if you wanted to fight Doc that day with some tis like he came to the gym like, man, Doc got, I probably got to have a lineup, man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you, but but butting back down from none of them. Yeah, he'll get his ass. What I'll fucking with you got. The East is down a little bit this year, and that definitely obviously helps you guys a little bit. It's weird. I feel like as great as giannisis, he doesn't get the consistent love and respect he deserves on this greatness. I think you know, I think you guys are what two games above five hundred right now, seventh in the Eastern Conference. He's sitting at thirty three, eleven and six if I'm not mistaken. So right in the MVP mix, you guys, it looks like things are starting are what do you feel like with this team? As and I think you point out a very important piece his his obviously injuries are big, but his teammates keep rotating, He's getting new guys. How long to into you feel like you guys will At what point do you feel like it's it's going to start clicking for you guys.
Speaker 2: I think once we get healthy. You know, Scoot was a big blow to us earlier in the year in game one. You know, I starting point guard. So obviously that's why you see the jump from Ryan Rollins productive being producive of this year. So I mean, just haven't moving parts. TP just went down. So, like I said, there's our guys that we pretty much count on have been heindrid, which a lot of teams in the league had not excuse him. But at the same time, we just got to adapt a a team to find it, try to find ways to win games.
Speaker 1: The evolution of the point guard. Rick Pattino said, this will take a look at it real quick.
Speaker 4: There are no point guds anymore. I mean, if you find it, you'll probably describe him as a guy who can't shoot him what game. He's a combo scoring guard. I don't think he's looking for the assists. I think he's looking at squad and thank god he is so. And whether it's whether it's the champion. Who's the point cut in Utumba said, this is the team who's the point cut to the Knicks, the Lakers and Celtics, the champ World champions. Pointcut is is totally done in basketball. The days of John Stockton are long gone. There are no more point cuds. Chris Paul is probably the last one. So you got to play with everybody handling the basketball five out and just create good movement.
Speaker 1: When you hear that, what are your thoughts? I mean, you're the definition of a peer point. I want to make your teammates better first and do all the little things and then scoring when needed. We've seen an influx this year with like the Houston Rockets not starting to point guard Cooper flags start, Yeah Bucks, Dallas Phoenix teams that are good. I think obviously with the Houston uh and and and you know Dallas is riddle by injury. You guys are trying to figure it out. But thoughts, is that a true statement? Do you think you can win it without without someone who's really running the point these days?
Speaker 2: I think the thunder just did it, I believe, But for me, I think it's a level h the IQ of the team overall, and then a lot of teams don't have the IQ of the Thunder organization or like the Houston Rockets, you know with the Doku. I think. I think it's primarily with him, how he's allowing guys and how they're able to understand extoute the game plan because a lot of teams that I'm watching to see what I'm doing, I'm watching the films like they need a point guard. They need someone to you know, run the show and off even like the game win. I believe when the Thunder in Houston play, you know, you need a point guard. Like Ktan touched the ball, so I know if I'm in the game and Ktane touch the ball and eight possessions, like, you need a point guard. So it's like a coach can only do so much. You're managing so many different things, and a point guard is the extension of the coach on the floor. So it's like when you're not executing, when you don't when you come down and run two sets in a row and then the third time you try to go away from it. A point guard understands to win and where to get guts the ball.
Speaker 1: I think of Houston when I think of this because it's it's sing gooon and KD getting the ball out of their spots. They're great players and they're gonna make it happen, but to your point, knowing when to get them the ball in their spots to make them be the most effective. Although they're you know, they're one of the highest scoring dudes, but you see, lad in games, that's not necessarily either of their forte in their career, they usually had got to their spots and then that's when they're you know, some of the best in the world. So yeah, I definitely still feel it's important to have a point guard just for everything you said. But it'll be interesting to see, you know, to your point, not everybody as a high i Q and and understand the game the way those those Okay, see you guys have been able to buy in transitioning a little bit flag football. Guy, that's what you got there, slanging that pill. So what's going on? Uh, you know a lot of people don't know you loved football.
Speaker 2: Growing up and it was Okay, taught me everything I know as far as football in the game, Like, I always wanted to be ahead of the curve, whether it was him teaching me early on math problems or being on the football field being number one, so I always had an early love for it. I actually thought I was going pro on football in young grage. So to be able to go back and play flag fo ball the last This past summer has been fun, you know, football dreams. I call it going out on Sunday. But I had to stop playing because show to start hurt.
Speaker 1: You ain't had to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah for the work, and yeah, I'm gonna take some time off. You might catch me out here in twenty twenty eight Olympics.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, what if? What if they give you a Tommy John right now? And have you ready for twenty eight to be out there slanging that thing?
Speaker 5: Nah?
Speaker 2: But hopefully I'm a head coaching somewhere by twenty twenty eight. But like I said, I can't do it all. But I said, I do like to keep my options opening. And I love, like I said, just exploring the things.
Speaker 1: Did any did the NFL NFL flag hit you up or anybody hit you up when they kind of saw that as I did. Oh?
Speaker 2: Really, I got I got the text message bout it. We could go about possibly being Olympics twenty twenty eight, really trying out.
Speaker 1: That's what They're gonna give you a chance.
Speaker 2: They asked me, was I available in June July? I think of twenty six next year, So we'll see if I if I take that. If I don't, I don't have a call from you know, anybody in I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna bring a camera myself out there, huh and just follow you around.
Speaker 2: If one's here, then ones I think in Atlanta. So I'm gonna be here with me man in the camera. We're gonna we're gonna document that ship we all. Fatherhood obviously a huge part of your life. I mean, you play a father to a lot of kids that aren't chores. You know, the way you mentor and love and and and want to give back. But you do have three babies, right and one four.
Speaker 1: A son who I know and got a chance to see, a daughter who just is in college right now from volleyball. Talk to us about fatherhood and and and your DNA being passed to your kids. What has been like to kind of coach dad mentor there's a there's a tough balance and not our kids hearing too much of our voice. What is all that have you navigated this space.
Speaker 2: It's been amazing. That's to start with my daughter. She's she's my oldest. Have an older stepson as well as he's younger, but my daughter right she's abama now, and like I said, coming into the season, I expect you and play. You know, we joke and laugh about it, like her playing her watching her player at Kiva to the AU program, you know, six months before the season start. I'm like, you know, got we got work to do. And so for me being able to see her now fast forward, I think I just start her play two days ago when her last home opening season games this year, I mean, she I damned their crowd watching them play. The way she's controlling the game from her perspective, you know, in her volleyball world, she's like the point right out there on the floor and being able to call certain sets out or telling you know, her hitters middle left or line. It's been fun, you know, and like said humble at the same time, because she reminds me so much of myself being able to because she's five six on a good day. You know, these girls out here six five, super athletic, and like I said, she's find her way to make impact on the game. So it's been really fun teaching her and her calling me, asked me about the game, and she she said something to coach, you know, me putting my coaching hat over his dad had knowing like, nah, this isn't a good time to say something, or you know, go about it this way. Just like being there for her this particular time in my life, it has been the most amazing feeling like we're as tight as ever. And then my son, he's in eighth grade now playing varsity basketball this year, so it's a big jump for him. He should be starting and just like I said, watching him grow through the growing pains and it's teaching him to give Hi as much the game as possible. So it's been a humbling.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the balance with your son, because I try to find a balance with my son. Obviously you coach your son in the summertime or assistant coach, but you know, very hands on talk to people that may not understand what your point of view because it's very similar to mine is as far as not being the dominating voice constantly because we always have to be dad right, and then coaches walking next because sometimes we want to ring these little motherfuckers next because they listening. But talk about like the balance of not them having to hear our mouth too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think I'm I think you got obviously ask him, But I think I'm doing to health a job of when I first started coaching them to now to where I'm kind of, you know, maybe the fourth or fifth option in the sense of what he's hearing, you know, on the court, off the court, I got a great group of men around him that's able to tell them the same messages that I want to relate to them. And again, we're dad, so we can't always be that voice because he's like I don't want to hear it. I want to turn off. And at times I just need you to be that like basketball, like let's just go and have a good time father son, and let's talk about other things in life. So for me, I'm trying to do continue to do a great job at it. Uh you know at times, you know, I've been to therapy with him, you know, they trying to figure out how to be a better father when you get that balance right and wrong, and like I said, just keep growing and then sharing my experiences with guys that have sons himself, you know, asking questions. You know Jaylen Bronston's dad, I mean know Jaylen Bronson. You know. So it's just you know, it's been been fun and just learning.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of ship on Instagram. Myes be the first to tell you where all fine clips of players saying what I've been telling them, and I send it to him. You do that ship all the time, all day.
Speaker 2: I mean, the great body says it, Stuff says says it, m J says it, and his whole Instagram, his DM is flooded of those.
Speaker 1: I sitt it right to our group chat. Fuck it. You gonna see my ship when I want you to see the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's the time, like I said, because I'm like, we're all saying the same thing. We just obviously want the best for you. Like these are the guys that are saying the exact same thing. Say please listening.
Speaker 1: You guys were fortunate enough to be able to be accepted to Junior e YBL. Congratulations. Uh that is that it ain'ty people to understand. Man, it's a real politick and situation.
Speaker 2: We've been on we search about four years now.
Speaker 1: But congratulations junior E Y B L H this summer and then damn he's off the high school after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then well this summer is he's going into high school.
Speaker 2: It's something he's going. Yeah, but we were killed it though. This summer ain't hold. We locked in too, and we want all the smoke. Yeah, let's get it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Ye, yes, sir, before we get out of here. You know, obviously us being former pros and our kids striving. Did you get a chance to see Sha door uh at all? Yesterday? I didn't. In the second half. I felt like they put him in a in a trick bag somewhat. But you know, no reps with the first unit at all, even though he was a second string or third whatever they want to call him, made some solid those made some mistakes, had some balls that his team should have hit, his guys should have caught. But I just think overall, for him to be able to get out there, it's been real interesting over there. It's just like it's almost like you hate to say it, but I think the writings on the walls, there's some weird energy over there with him not being able to get an opportunity to get on the field. What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: I just feel Cream rise to the top, you know what I mean. And like I said, whatever they throw at him, whatever he's doing. Like I said, he has a great role mods ahead of him and he just got to stay the course, continue to be a humble kid, get his head down and keep working because he's going to get the opportunity and when he does, and everybody's gonna eat their work.
Speaker 1: So gotta be ready, plain and simple. Last, but not least. I opened the show with it, and I'm gonna close with it. Two time NBA Champ, four time All Star, four time All Defense, it's a three time assist Champ, all NBA All Rookie. When I list off your accolades and your impact on the game of basketball, tell me what the Hall of Fame would mean to you.
Speaker 2: You know, to me, I'm already in a hall of fame. This is the wildest shit that's ever Like my experience in life is the reaction to people like when they see me, Like everywhere I go for the last you know, eighteen years, it's been damn there. Every night I could cry because of how people receive me. It's like from babies to adults to kids, it's like and they just want to say what's up. I mean even when I played I'm in the club, I'm I'm in the streets. I mean, it's like everybody from every all genres of life go to do biases people everywhere I go. Last fifteen twenty years of my life have like always been amazed to like being my presence. So for me, like if I die tomorrow, I said, that's the best feeling I can ever have. It's how I'm able to impact other people because me growing up, I never really looked at people in a sense, you know what I mean. I didn't really It wasn't fanatic or I didn't really watch sports growing up. I was just a kid outside being a kid. So how people react to me the way they do, you know, I'm already a hall of fame.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. I remember that. It brings me back when I first met you, Bro. I think you were still in high school when you came and fuck with vib that summer. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I've seen you around team time. He was out in Sack all summer, just a little skinny kid that had games.
Speaker 2: I just needed to understood what I can you know attain working?
Speaker 1: You know? Was what I knew that Mike was a workerholic too.
Speaker 2: I had a cold, a sack of cribs doing this, get right to the gym. That was this it was, but he had the whole family in the cult to sack Man. I was like, you know what this is, This is what I want to do. Shout out to Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, shout out to Mike. They play UCLA tomorrow in l a uh sack state state. Now. I think they got it. And I actually got a ticket to because I gotta leave because I got I got tickets for ticket and Paul because Mike kid me up and said they wanted to go see Mike u c l A. But I got to go to New York tonight, so I gotta of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's light in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, man, We appreciate you. Best of luck obviously moving forward. People don't know what I mean. We're working with some stuff behind the scenes. You're a friend of the program, part of the programs. Man, Good luck with everything and keep being great bro like man, Yeah. Shout out my brother from Stoner Sports sixty for the weekly sixty second Stoner Recap this week they're highlighting our guests, Rajon Rondo.
Speaker 6: Hey, real talk, Raision Rondo, one of the most underrated point guards of all time.
Speaker 1: That boy do was a ball fake DMI. Where the hell you going, Andrew?
Speaker 6: This is the Stoners sixty persented by Unplugged, the most litman and in sports.
Speaker 1: Look at the die.
Speaker 6: You can't tell me the name Raison Rondo.
Speaker 1: Don't sound like a magician.
Speaker 6: Hit that boy, Jesus Shuttle's worth writing this shot?
Speaker 1: Pocket no loose.
Speaker 5: You want to talk about a real competitor. That's what dope was. Rondo was taking on all challenges colitenically. He was guarding prime pron He was in the bubble, walkle picking dude's up full court, taking cookies neath those bullshit with the rock like that my boy in the bubble. All we can do is who PAVs Kyrie? Wasn't nobody stopping him? A Rondo just in his pockets. We all remember this play. Let me just tell you, ain't nobody want the ball more than Rayson Rondo. I ain't never seen nobody go this hard. Rondo, who like somebody was trying to take food off his plate. Look at this crazy shit he cut his own man's off from Garden. KD No I got him, came on the line and this meet you know, KD goes straight to a spot and post up like it was sweet, And let me tell you right now, with Rondo, it was never sweet. And he did this on every team he played for.
Speaker 6: Appreciate y'all tapping in with the Stoners sixty raison Rondo editions and if you ain't subscribed to all the smoke, you better go do that right now.
Speaker 1: NBA sentail has been a revelation on NBA Twitter in the recent times, baiting not only NBA fans, but quite a bit of credible media outlets as well into believing Outlander's headlines related to the league. Today, we have a new segment where the production team has put together some real NBA reports mixed with some sentail reports, and it's my job to see if I can smell the bullshit.
Speaker 3: So we got real or sent tell Draymond Green just named his top five Warrior teammates of all time. Got Steph Curry, Clay Thompson, Jarrett Jack, Buddy Healed, and David Lee. Is that real or cintel?
Speaker 1: I think that's Cintil it's real report. Raymond himself, Really, I thought I would have heard about it.
Speaker 3: That was the NBA and NBC posted an Instagram reel where he gave his top five teammates.
Speaker 1: That's oh we got that's the top five. Oh for one for one, all right, let's go.
Speaker 3: Nico Harrison reportedly attempted to trade Cooper flag shortly before his dismissal from the Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Ain't no fucking away. He can keep fucking up like this.
Speaker 2: Uh cintil, cintel Yes, for one of two.
Speaker 1: Now they might have tried to kill bro so there's no way he was going to pull that off.
Speaker 2: Would have been raps.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: LaMelo Ball reportedly scared the Timberwolves away during the draft process when he said he wanted to be the president of the United States after he retired.
Speaker 1: Would that scare him? I think this is bullsh I think this is centail facts day. Really, yes, and it's scared. It's it's scared.
Speaker 3: Him that this is a real report that came out a couple of days ago you talked about on the Live because that was the same draft as an Brandon Pajemski says he had the talent to be the quote white version of sho Hey Otani if he had chosen baseball as his.
Speaker 1: Career path, I'm saying bullshit. I'm still saying bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he threw out a first pitch not too long ago, eighty six miles an hour.
Speaker 1: I believe he was not a super athlete. But saying that you have the town to be OCHANI, I'm calling bullshit.
Speaker 3: Big Baller Brand is reportedly preparing a super max shoe offer for Stephen Curry.
Speaker 1: I hope, no, this is Cintel.
Speaker 2: Here we go, this is in Intel. That was Intel, all right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Ronnie James reportedly walked past the Bucks locker room during their last and told Giannis, quote lace him up, it's going to be a long night.
Speaker 1: Nah, he better not. That's a sentil. Are you for sure? Yes?
Speaker 2: And that's what we got.
Speaker 1: That's it. How good?
Speaker 3: How good do you think you are at?
Speaker 2: What's your what's your ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't. I mean, I think I could have been one higher if I would have, like realistic, did the Porjensky thing, because I think that's just out of the blue, and I don't see why you guys would have made that up. But the fact that he said, if he would have stuck with it, I had to just call bullshit even though I was wrong. I want to send love and condolences to an Oakland legend, John Beem, whose life was taken this past week. A pillar in the community, a coach, a mentor, a father, there's so many, was tragically struck down and lost his life. So I just wanted to take a second to send some love to the city of Oakland, his family, and make God rest his soul. That's a wrap froun plug. You can catch us on all the Smoke Productions YouTube and the DraftKings Network. See y'all next week.