Speaker 1: Welcome to How to Money. I'm Joel, and today I'm talking about avoiding the middle class trap with Scott Trench. Okay, so in the song rock in the Suburbs ben Folds, he pokes fun at the struggles of middle class life, angsty, a little whiny, but also tongue in cheek. It's killer piano rock that makes you laugh because deep down it's a little too relatable and that tension it's still alive today. A lot of Americans and plenty of How to Money listeners feel like they're doing all the right things. They're saving diligently, they're investing wisely, but at the cost of flexibility and maybe even some joy right now. So, how do you balance building wealth through the future without squeezing the life out of the present. That's what we're dying being into today with Scott Trench. He literally wrote the book on this set for life. He's helped thousands of people and I think the book has sold more than one hundred thousand copies chart their path the financial independence. So Scott, thank you for taking the time to join me today.
Speaker 2: My friend Joel, thank you for the very very kind intro your legend.
Speaker 1: Scott trench. You've been in this space, you're still pretty young. We're still went in the space for a long time, and you've helped a lot of people. You've done a lot of great work. So I'm thrilled to have you here. First question I ask everybody who comes on, though, is what do you like to splurge on? What's your craft beer equivalent?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is this is a pretty embarrassing one for somebody who runs a podcast in personal financial responsibility, but have a I recently came purchased a golf cart which I used to get around the neighborhood and take my two little kids to the local park. I will use it to take them to school when they start attending school, and to the local pool. So that's my very big splurge. You know, seven rate grand somewhere in that range.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, it is a fancy golf cart.
Speaker 2: A nice little toy. Yeah that I got to take a the neighborhood here.
Speaker 1: Okay, is, so did you buy a brain new? Are you buying used on?
Speaker 2: I have bought it used, I should have bought it used, but I got it. I got it. I got a new one because the company that was selling them, was going out of business, so okay, I picked up a new one. There.
Speaker 1: I feel like golf carts are all the rage in the burbs these days. Is that Is that true?
Speaker 2: You? Is that's it? Yes? I just completely jumped on this, like tear you know, very basic trend. And I've really, I really enjoyed taking my golf cart to the little local coffee shop, yeah, or to the pool.
Speaker 1: See. For me, this was electric bikes, and so I have like a rad wagon that I still ride with my youngest. My oldest too, they're on their own bikes now and they don't wanna, they don't want to ride with me anymore. But I have so many fond memories and so many great pictures of like sticking them on the back of the bike and going wherever around town that we wanted to go. So that was my version of the golf cart. And I will say, well worth the money, You're gonna get a lot of joy out of it. Okay, let's let's get onto it. Man. What got you interested in the idea of early retirement to begin with? Was it the fact that you were working at one of America's worst companies and you just had to get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that I actually what happened was I got before I graduated college, I had an internship at Dish Network, which at that year was ranked the worst company to work for in America. And I actually really enjoyed the internship. They put out a great show. It was a wonderful time. I have lifelong friends from that that summer between my junior and senior year of college, and then when I started in the real world. That's what I began to kind of get disillusioned with the idea of climbing the corporate ladder when I started the full time job at Dish the next year after I moved to Colorado, and I was like, you know, I'm going to badge in a bitch, badge out for forty years if I do this well, and I'll be one day climbing the ranks, and I'll make good money if I climbed the ranks. But I'll have that office over there instead of this one, this cubicle right here.
Speaker 1: The slightly bigger one with a slightly better view.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was that was kind of the That was that was wearing on me day to day early on in the career, and I was fortunate to have immediately stumbled across the foundational stuff in the financial independence world, like mister money Mustache, the mad Fientists, early retirement, extreme those kinds of things there, and having a working in finance and having a background in economics and all those kinds of things at school that really helped me. I resonated with that, and I could model out, Oh, if I just keep my expenses very low, I'll automatically become wealthy. And the best way to keep my expenses very low is to attack this huge line light them into my budget, which is housing. And so I got a roommate, live with a roommate, then began house hacking. You know. I bought a couple of small, multi family properties, moved into them, rented them out, used owner occupied occupied financing, and did that off and on for ten years, the better part of ten years. In a midpoint, like around year six or seven, my now wife and I moved into an apartment, got married in that apartment, and then moved back into one of our rental properties for a year with our little one before eventually getting our forever home here with the golf cart.
Speaker 1: So you were kind of tackling both and right you were saying, listen, we got to dial back on spending, we got to be more frugal, and then we got to thrust that money into income using assets. So fierce frugality was a part of your journey. And at one point I think I heard you talk about enduring a really cold winter with with no heat. Is that like, how how far did you go from a frugality perspective?
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for looking all this up yet, my my, what happened was I bought this place and uh, it was like April or something like that, and I was like, I can go until fall before I install heating my portion of the unit here. You know, I'm get by with this stuff. And then my my then my now wife moved, you know, started dating me around that time, and we, uh we eventually started contemplating moving in together. And that that only lasted a few weeks. Uh that that low heat there was there wasn't like.
Speaker 1: I'm not moving in there unless you get that heater repair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I will also say that frugality was you know, there's a there's a in the world of personal finance. I think frugality is sometimes a virtue and to a lot of people. And I think that's a mistake, right, because I never saw frugality as this virtue, right. I saw it as there is there is something to it, there is something wonder you know, I good about it, and there's pride to be had in living living frugally there. But it was the tool that was right for the job in those early years, because I was already maximizing my income. I was already investing according to way reasonably well disciplined approach of cerial house hacking and then putting everything else in S and P five hundred index funds, right, you know, according to a tax advantaged retirement stack. So there wasn't much more to be done on those funds and those fronts, and so low spending was the main driver of getting ahead financially for me at that point in my life. It later transitioned to income generation or leading bigger pockets, right, And at that point, being frugal was a time and energy suck at that point, right, Like if I'm gonna I'm going to pay somebody else to mow my lawn, for example, at that point, because that's going to take me away from this very high paying job where I have a duty to customers, shareholders, and those other folks. And so that's been an interesting evolution. And now after stepping down, there's yet now, yet again, a more emphasis on controlling my expense. I don't have to be frugal the way I was at twenty three or twenty four, but I have to be back in control of those expenses in a way I didn't while I was CEO. And I think that's an interesting takeaway from this is there's a right tool for the job at various moments along the journey, and the mistake is using one the whole way through and not adapting or evolving as your situation changes. What is the eighty twenty of the situation as you move through your financial journey.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure you've seen the headlines of stories about the janitor who dies and has eight million dollars in his retirement accountant to some people might laud that and say, incredible, right on a janitor's salary, that you could a masked that much money, And I think of it as like incredibly sad, right that someone would invest in, say for that long, and never get to enjoy the fruits of their labors. And you're right. I think that's probably the hyper frugality focus gone wrong, and there's just never an ability at least for that person to adjust, and you have to make adjustments over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I view it. I view finance as almost like an engineering problem. Right, here's exactly what I want my day to look like, in my life to look like in great detail. I can literally I literally have it written down on a page and a half. With my wife, we updated every quarter, and we did it in our honeymoon. That's how mardy I am about this. But I literally have that written down. We update it regularly, and we engineer for that, and that question is how do we do that most efficiently?
Speaker 1: And I think that's what Scott Trench's ideal day look like.
Speaker 2: All right, I pull it up here, you want to pull it up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so curious to know. And I love this because because you're right, like if if you have it mapped out to that extent, my guess is, my guess is before you start rattling things off that most of the things that are on there are inexpensive or free.
Speaker 2: No, not not necessarily, many of the things really are. But I specifically, like I live in Colorado. I want to see the mountains out of my house. I love that. I love like the mountain sunset. And that was not free or cheap, right, and that was a major investment. But I will I will say that, yes, there's a good chunk of that. So here, I'll pull this up. So here's the latest evolution right of this vision. It's not the most recent one. And they don't really move. It doesn't really move that much anymore. It used to move all the time. Wife and I would be like, Oh, we want to live in Hawaii. We want to live here. No, No, Now we've kind of settled in of this is what we want. But our home is bustling with our two kids, Katie and Taylor, and are very handsome Kitty Fred. We have an energetic, healthy, day to day lifestyle with lots of laughter and fun happening throughout the day. We put each other first, demonstrated by both of us making an effort every week to make the other person feel loved and appreciated during the week. Our work commitments EBB and flow according to our interests. We can be very flexible and maintain high autonomy over the trajectory of our work days. So we can work a ten or twelve hour shift on important deep work, or take off for three days in a row doing hike, ski and bike days. We can also take relaxing recovery days anytime. Virginia writes best selling books, and I continue my study of early retirement, pioneering ideas to accelerate it or make it more enjoyable. Here at Bigger Pockets Money, Taylor and Katie are I enrolled in high quality full time daycare. We have several wonderful babysitters. We take trips. We have a thriving local community of friends. I'm paraphrasing here. I've got a whole page and a half of this. We maintain high levels of physical fitness. Here's our diet and exercise regimens. Here, here's where Scott's competitive outlet is. You have your marathons. I need to find that for me. That's like one of my projects this year is like what do I want to compete in? Certainly not running for four hours straight.
Speaker 1: Or two hours, it is pretty psychotical.
Speaker 2: And then our financial houses in order. We have our paid off primary home, one year cash reserve, and a conservative primary investment portfolio that generates one hundred and fifty percent of our base living expenses. On top of that, we have substantial financial upsides with various projects that we're working on. And so that's it. And one particular point in there that I skipped over here is we see the mountains every day from our porch, like we broke that down years ago before we bought our house and get to watch a western facing sunset on most or every evening. And that was really important to us, for example, and was not a cheap item. That was something we had to work for and income and investment dollars to realize.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for sharing that, and I know that's you've actually posted that on your website of Bigger Pockets, and so we'll look to that in the show notes. But I think that's like the kind of intentional introspection that most people don't do, and they don't get down to the nitty gritty of something as simple as like I want to be able to see the sunset every night right from from my porch, and which then influences I would imagine going back cascading. You know, different ways of living and ways of saving and ways of investing to help you pull that off. I'm curious too, Like you, you mentioned bigger pockets in real estate, and I want to talk to you about real estate. But index funds or traditionally have been seen as like the gospel of financial independence. Why did you believe that real estate investing would be the best best path for you to achieve it?
Speaker 2: So I think this is really funny because I agree with the index fund approach. The reason I got into real estate investing is because when I was following mister money Mustache in twenty thirteen, I was like, how do I become more frugal? And I was like, well, something's missing here? What about housing? Like that's that's pretty big expense and I want to eliminate that. And something on bigger pockets. I think Brandon Turner wrote an article at some point or another, one of the podcast hosts at the time, and he wrote about house hacking and was like, Oh, if you buy a multi unit property and then you get a mortgage and then the other side pays that mortgage, you can live for free or pretty close to it, after reasonable approximations for your maintenance, vacancy, capex, utilities and all that kind of good stuff. And so that seemed like an obvious way to keep my expenses low. And a byproduct of doing that, means of doing that well, means that you have to spend the time to research how to become a good real estate investor, because you're buying a rental property, fundamentally, you're analyzing it for cash flow. And so I put in the several hundred hours needed to think about how to make a quality real estate investment purchase, moved in, fixed it up, and then I had the skill. I knew exactly what to do, and I could just repeat it several times. And so over ten years you become very good at real estate investing, and I, of course I'm the CEO. I become the CEO of Bigger Pockets during this time. So I had lots of repetitions with a lot of real estate investors. But I like to think that even if I never went down that path and I had just gone down some completely different career, if I had serial house hacked like that, I would have acquired the skill of being a competent landlord over that time period. Anyways, and there are if you're willing to pay that price, real advantages that you can get, especially in the early days of a real estate investment when you're using leverage, which amplifies returns and also risk. There are real returns that can amplify that beyond what you can see in the in a stock market portfolio. And then the other side of that is as the years go by and your mortgage cost stays. If we stay back, real estate at its simplest form is a inflation adjusted store of value. Your property is probably going to pace inflation over thirty years. It's going to be ups and downs across that time, but that's a reasonable bed. If you don't believe that, you shouldn't buy real estate. The other thing is is it's an inflation adjusted income stream. The rents minus the expenses is going to compute to some amount of cash flow each year, relatively tax advantage cash flow, and that should also keep pace with inflation over very long periods of time, and stretches like the last five years, that can compress a little bit as rents don't grow much and expenses do grow, but over long periods of time you can believe it. And so once the property's paid off or getting close to being paid off, you have more cash flow, but diminishing returns because you're not getting the amplification effect of the leverage to the same degree at the beginning of it. And that's very appealing towards the end of your financial journey because it makes the math very simple. You can almost treat it like a pension to some degree. If you're conservative with your assumptions, you know there would be some volatility, some capecks and those types of things, and adding that to your fire number. So those are the reasons why I got into real estate. But if I hadn't been for house hacking and bigger pockets and I had some other very demanding career, I may have just gone in with the index fund approach the whole time. So I see real estate as a tool that's very powerful for certain folks that want to use that, that were willing to put in that education and take that extra risk, and they can get different returns, maybe better in the early days, maybe different styles of cash flow that they'll feel more comfortable with at the end of it. But it's not better than stocks. Different it's just a different approach.
Speaker 1: And I think house hacking in particular is like the real estate investing strategy that kind of trumps everything else because you can lower your housing costs significantly. There's you're kind of when you're comparing investing in the S and P. Five hundred to investing in a single family home or a duplex. Yes, you're talking about, you know, the use of leverage to be able to enhance that investment in real estate. And then as the better you get as a real estate investry, might be able to find significant deals right and and you might be able to get better returns overall because of leverage and because of your knack for solid real estate investing. But there's just nothing that compares to the financial return of house hacking, and so few people I think are willing to engage it. It's one of the things. Did you feel like you giving something up to engage in that act? Were you like, man, I'm really sluming it here for for six months, for two years or whatever. Some people talk about house hacking and it's just it sounds brutal, I guess to the average person listening to this podcast, like I've got to do that in order to secure financial independence? No way. What did it feel like for you?
Speaker 2: If things work out in my life as I hope that they will, I will go my entire life never living alone. I will have slept in the same bedroom as my brother growing up. I will have had roommates throughout college. The day I stopped having a roommate was the day my wife moved in with me into my house. Hack and I hope to go first in old age. Right, That's that's the that's it. And and most people, I think have time where they live alone, and that's wonderful, right. I never had that, and I never missed it. I don't know what it was, what it would have been like. I never missed it. I don't want it in my life. And that was a cheat code for me because I had roommates the entire way through and I never had the fancies, fancy apartment or house that was all to myself in there. And that just is such an extraordinary advantage in accumulation of wealth and then and and keeping costs slow, using housing to as an accelerant on my financial journey. I mean, it's just it's like a cheat code. It keeps everything low. And and other people that were having trouble. One of the things you wanted to talk about, I think was the middle class trap where folks are stuck. You know, middle class family has a has a mortgage payment, they've got their childcare, food expenses, they're contributing a little bit to the four oh one k, or maybe even a lot to the four oh one K, but they have to make a choice at some point. They cannot go through this entire retirement stack, maxing the four oh one K, maxing the WROTH, maxing the HSA, and maybe putting away some for college and having additional liquidity at the end of that stack because they don't save enough. But if your house hack when you're you know, young, you go through that whole stack, because you can max out your four oh one K and have plenty of cash left over after that each year to reinvest in other opportunities in there that provide that flexibility because your core expensive housing is so low that whatever you were saving, whatever you would have been saving on top, like you know, fifteen to twenty percent without house hacking, is then multiplied by that drastic drop off in that core expense. And so that's the cheat code that I think it is, and it just bypasses this problem of access to liquidity for your rest of your life. If you did it for a period of three to seven to ten years.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you're right. I think it's a kind of a sacrifice you potentially make if you see this as a sacrifice or just a willing to live differently than your peers in a way that then just gives you an insane amount of freedom for the rest of your life. And I think it's a worthy trade off. When you think about the difference between investing in real estate and investing in stocks, how big of a factor is control? Right, you have? It seems like certain a lot more a lot more control in many ways over your real estate portfolio than you do over what happens in the stock market. And and even like thinking of sweat equity right, the opportunity to improve a property or add an adu in the back to to make it, you know, cash flow faster. How big of how big of a factor's control, and how you think about real.
Speaker 2: Estate that that control. There's this kind of argument about is it active or passive in real estate? Right the best answer is semi passiver. It depends, of course, which frustrates everybody all the time. But but I think that in the early days of real estate investing, when you can swing a hammer or do that work, and that's your you know, instead of side hustling driving for uber, I'm painting cabinets, staining cabinets, or painting walls or fixing up a rental property. That's a much much higher leverage return on my time than I would get for many reasons, not just because I'm defraying the contractor costs, but also I'm learning these skills that then translate or leave me less helpless and related tasks for the rest of my life. So that's a very powerful, I think advantage in more ways than one will. I will say that the question around control, I don't want to overstate it because I know a lot of people and I'm in this situation with some of my properties that are kind of trapped in their rentals. And this problem is across all these different asset classes. Right, you have four hundred thousand dollars in your four oh one k at age thirty five, and you have fifty thousand dollars outside of it in liquidity. That's a problem that liquidity is not really there in your life if you're still working, because to access it you'd have to do something preposterous like realize the income on a rough conversion in your current high income tax bracket, and then you'd have to know and or pay a penalty if you wanted to withdraw it. So it's really hard to access that well. Real estate investors are in the same position. Right. You have a property that you bought for three hundred grand in Denver ten years ago, you refinanced it in twenty twenty and got a really good low interest rate loan on it. You can't sell that thing to somebody else. You can, but you're gonna You're gonna take a big haircut on it. And what it's a deep buyer's market today, and that property is worth more to you. It's worth more to me than it is to the buyer because of that low interest rate debt that I have that's not transferable with the property. So that's a real challenge too, because that equity exists on paper, but it's hard to realize without making a pretty big sacrifice. So I would say that there's only there's only pros and cons or different flavors of challenges. There's no real free lunch in the world of investing. You can't have your liquidity and your control and your you know, all these different options, there's only different flavors of it that you can access.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I guess when it comes to real estate in wanting to enjoy more of Let's say that property you bought for three hundred thousand dollars ten years ago is worth what eight hundred thousand dollars in you know, maybe more that it might be worth more than that, Like, how does one think about the how do a protest situation? Are you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Do I buy? Am I in the buying more units phase of my real estate investing life? Am I in the paying off debt phase of my real estate investing life? Am I even thinking about taking the tax smack and selling some of those properties off so I can enjoy more of the fruits of my labors? Yeah? What is a real estate investor to do in that conundrum?
Speaker 2: Well, this is a great question, and this is an intellectual challenge that I'm trying to figure out for myself right now. And I actually have not gone on discussed this live yet because I haven't fully finished it. So take my draft year for what you will. But I think there's three ways, Like what do you do with the rental property in the context of your financial freedom number that's in this stuck position. So I think there's three a three pronged approach to do in this analysis. One is you take a conservative estimate of the after tax, after sales, transaction costs, after debt payoff, liquidation value of the property. Right. So let's say that's two hundred grand. Right, you have your you know, three hundred thousand dollars mortgage, six hundred thousand dollars property, you know, five hundred and fifty five hundred and sixty thousand dollars property, and sixty thousand dollars in transaction costs plus depreciation. Can recapture all that kind of stuff that leaves you with a two hundred thousand dollars that you could theoretically within a few months sell and reposition into a traditional stock bond portfolio withdraw at four percent from right. So that's that's one way surely that should be factored into somebody's position. The second is at the end state, like if you just wiped out that mortgage and said twenty years have gone by, my income stream remains flat relative to inflation, right, Because that's all real estate investing is is, it's an inflation adjusted store of value and an inflation adjusted income stream that it would be x amount. Let's call it forty forty thousand dollars a year. I can add that as a pension to my twenty year number, and then the hardest part for me is this bridge, because there's some cash flow now, and there surely should be a slowly increasing stream of cash flow as your mortgage stays flatminally and the rents grow with inflations of the other costs. And that's the part that I'm stuck on of how to map that out. Honestly, in the meantime, I think a lot of investors are stuck that way, and so you can almost think of it as like, hey, I got a pension coming in twenty years, or I got a liquidation value today, and this bridge in the middle is something that I'm struggling with on how to map out. Intellectually, I kind of have the curve you can if you can follow my thinking here, but I haven't actually fully mapped that out. That's a project for later in the year to put this into some kind of spreadsheet or excel to help people with this kind of decision making. But that's where I'm map from a framework perspective for the properties, and I think it's it's a struggle for people to come to terms with that because they were hoping for maybe more more, more access to that rental property liquidity earlier on. So and again there's only trade offs with this. Right in the fire community. We also have a lot of people who have one hundred percent stock portfolios and think they're about to retire, and that's not what withdrawal research says. Right with all research says you have to have a diversified portfolio with bonds or uncorrelated asset and yet in order to turn a pile of money that his in equities into a reliable income stream that can be harvested for a long duration. So no free lunch. But that's that's my intellectual framework for the question you're asking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, alread, I got more I want to get to with with you, Scott, including I want to talk about why you never asked for a raise for your entire career working at bigger pockets. We'll get to that and more right after this. Yeah, I'm talking with Scott Trench. We're talking about avoiding the middle class trap. And I'm curious, Scott, like when you're heavy into the fire movement or are just really thinking long and harbor about achieving financial independence. So often we're talking about locking up money for long periods of time, right, and not being able to without the trade offs you mentioned of a big of a tax hit or a penalty being able to or really estate transaction costs to be able to get into some of that money. Let's say we wanted to take an extended break from away from work for a year or something like that. It feels impossible because the trade off of accessing that cash is too difficult, it's too costly. Do you do you think too many people are investing too heavily in their for their far off future and not enough for current flexibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the framework i'd approach responding you know, I'll respond to your question with another framework, which is optionality versus optimality. Right. So, there's an optimal approach to financial independence for a totally passive investor, and it looks something like this. You invest during your working years into pre tax retirement accounts like a traditional four oh one K, and that keeps your tax bill low. You're deferring this this income in high in high income tax years, you may need max out your HSA. You take your match, go as far as you can in that four oh one k, and then fifteen twenty years go by and you achieve your you hate your number, and you stop working entirely and your income drops to zero. And now there's a lot of really good options. If for someone who's spending forty eighty or even up to one hundred thousand dollars a year to get the money out of the four h one k tax efficiently, you can do a roth conversion ladder. Right, there's a thirty two two hundred standard deduction for married filing jointly couples, so you can just convert that every year at zero percent tax bracket. Right. Then there's another ten percent tax bracket and a twelve percent tax bracket. Then we get to the twenty twenty two percent tax bracket. So using that, use it, you can use so many people will argue you should go up to the top of the twelve percent tax bracket to do these roth conversions. You'll pay very minimal tax throughout your life, and that's an optimal approach if you know for fifteen to twenty years that you're gonna work you're gonna grind it out, you're gonna stop, and you're gonna be able to manage a very precise level of spending in your early retirement and move money through this conversion ladder. Or you can also use a tool called a seventy two T substantially equal periodic payments to harvest the money from a four oh one K. It's still income taxes ordinary income, but it's not subject to penalty for early withdrawals, and that's an optimal approach. You will likely pay less in lifetime taxes doing that approach than most other alternatives. The problem that I come back to is that life is not a smooth curve. So across thousands of these repetitions, with talking with bigger pockets, money listeners, real estate investors, people in the fire community, in forums and all this kind of stuff, you realize what's the unique outlier in the financial independence journey is the person who worked a job, put their money into the four oh one K and lives off the four percent rule of nothing else. I made a big stink about this a while back, and I was like, this person doesn't exist, their unicorn. And finally I got to meet a few people who reasonably close approximate that situation, but they're outliers. This almost never happens. It's so rare. Less than one percent, maybe less than one in one in five hundred people you meet in the financial independence community will meet this definition precisely. Almost everybody else has some kind of ace in the hole. They've got their rental property, they've got there, a small business, their wife works, wife FI. It's one of my favorites. It is. There's there's a there. They're military, so they have benefits covered for various things, or their National Guard, very common. Or they've got some weirdo tail situation which is unique to them but very common across an aggregation of people. You'll talk to, right, you talk to one hundred people, thirty of them are going to have this kind of weirdo tail wind that they do, like a horse farm where they trade horses, right. Or you know this a book that they've written, or a musical property. You know, it's just something weird that they did earlier in their life or that they've come into that is unique to their situation, but common across large samples. As a as a variable here or a pension comes into play and that's been the problem for me across this is if that's the reality for a lot of people, and income jumps over time, right, it's not a linear curve, it jumps. If you follow this plan of maximizing your four oh one K and putting all your money into deferred accounts, you're locked into that plan because all of your liquidity is going to be in your home equity or your four o one k, right, one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year household income family who spends eighty ninety thousand dollars a year very reasonably cannot max out two four to oh one ks and their HSA and their wrath and save for college and build some liquidity. And I don't think the journey to financial independence is very fun or provides a lot of options. If you follow this plan precisely, you may optimally get to the endpoint a year sooner, six months sooner, may be less, but you're foregoing the optionality of the after time acts liquidity. One spouse can't stay home with the kids for a few years when they're young. One spouse can't start a business and try that out and have a runway for two or three years. Those can be very powerful investments. On one, you can't buy a rental property and live and flip it in the same way if you don't have a lot of access to liquidity, So that optimal approach actually compresses the option set and I think is less optimal. It ends up backfiring on you across the reality of the messy journey of.
Speaker 1: Life because it runs up against Yeah, the real life desires, hopes and dreams that people have, which is to take a flyer on a business that they want to get started, to get off the ground, which is to stay home with the kids for at least a couple of years while they're while they're young. And hey, maybe it also, you know, saves a bunch of money on childcare costs, which are through the roof right now, I think, and I think you're spot on if you yes, if we were, if our lives were spreadsheets right then we could we could probably pull that off. But most of our lives don't act accordingly, and I'm glad they don't, because boy, that would make life really crimean boring. I'm curious. I just mentioned, like childcare costs, how expensive they are for the average person. The biggest expenses are housing, transportation of food. If you got young kids, childcare costs are probably up there with them, though each of those has become significantly more expensive since COVID nineteen, And you know, twenty twenty. Does this change in your opinion the trajectory or the timeline for a median earner to be able to achieve financial independence. You feel like it's maybe harder in twenty twenty six than it was for people starting in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that, honestly, I think that the right answer may be somewhere along the lines of it's more unfair and unfair in the sense that the person who does live with roommates in twenty twenty six and or finds a way to house hack after a few years is going to see a much more a much more divergent outcome over the next ten to twenty years than they did ten, fifteen, twenty years ago, Because if you can lock down that housing expensive, find the ways to do it cheaply by living with roommates or house hacking or live and flipping, then you're going to take that out as a variable. All of that can go, all of those savings can go towards the creation of long term wealth in whatever vehicle you choose to apply them to, whether that's more real estate, whether that's stocks, whether that's some sort of business pursuit. So I think it's more important than ever to focus on that leverage point and say how do I keep my costs low? And the answer to that is sacrifice. You live with roommates, buy a property that's not nearly as nice, and make those changes. And if you don't, that's fine, but you're going to find it very difficult to float on. If you're going to find it incrementally more difficult here in twenty twenty six than in twenty fourteen, for example, to float your family's expenses, then maybe that family that if you're a media income earner. And I think that's the challenge that people will face, and the reward is exponentially greater for solving it, and the penalty for not solving it and not making that sacrifice is a really challenging environment of cash flowing your situation and really hard trade offs about whether you know, buy the extra groceries today or whether you say for retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think of all the things my mom told me, I love you was at the top, which is good, but then life's not always fair. It was definitely one of the things I heard a ton from my mom, And I think you're right, Like, what you're pointing to is the experience you had buying a property and house hacking and the accelerator that it was for you in terms of your trajectory towards financial independence. It's still a meaningful accelerator, but instead of going like zero to sixty in one point five seconds, you're going to zero sixty in like three point five seconds or something like that. Would you just say like it's muted in terms of its impact. It's not quite as significant maybe as it was in years past, but maybe that makes it even more significant and necessary.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's all relative to the alternative, right, So you know, was it easier to find a property that covered most or all of the mortgage payment in twenty fourteen than now? Of course it was easier in twenty fourteen. However, now the option set is renting, buying the place as a primary resident, buying a place as a primary residence, or house hacking it. And so what's the relative advantage between those three choices. I argue that the relative advantage of renting over renting is lower, right, because renting is a slightly cheaper relative to buying today. But the relative advantage of house hacking over buying a regular house is as great or even greater than ever. And so those are the things that change, and I think that's how you have to make the decision making. Is what's going to give me the greatest relative advantage over my counterfactual.
Speaker 1: No, that's good. I like that clarification. Let's talk about your work life for a second, Scott. You mentioned early on, hey, you were the CEO of Bigger Pockets. You are no longer, and you're still you're still a young man, Scott, So you're not like a CEO retiring at age seventy they're finally kicking a out. You're in your mid thirties. And so I'm curious to hear your why behind that decision, Like is it the ideal day exercise that like got through to you and You're like, I'm not living my ideal days right now, I'm working too much. What was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there were kind of three reasons behind that decision to step down. One was the Bigger Pockets had been in an obsession for me for a very long period of time. This was not this was more than an identity, you know, a CEO of Bigger Pockets. It was an all consuming passion project. I love what Bigger Pockets does and what we stand for. But also it was it was really consuming a huge portion of my life, not just in the much more than forty hour a week work weeks, but also in the evenings and at night in bed and those kinds of things, you know, thinking about the decisions of the day, what's coming up the next day. So that's one, and the second is my skill set is around building community, engaging with people, thinking through these intellectual childlenges that that hit real estate investors. But the next phase of Bigger Pockets growth needed, I think more more of a technology focus and building out a great website and technology experience. And that was something that I thought somebody else could come in and do a better job of than me. And then the third thing is my real passion this whole time I thought that I don't love real estate has been financial independence, Like this is what I love talking about and thinking through, and so Bigger Pockets money had been. I've been doing it for almost ten years, but it always as a side project, so I'd show up, you know, two days a week kind of record, go back to CEO job. And we never really figured out, like, hey, where does this fit into like the real estate investing world. I just loved it. I loved I love bigger pockets money, and and the goal of real estate investing for me was fire. So it's like financial dependence, retire early, So why not focus on that and really kind of go explore all the areas that I've been missing around tax optimization and what are those those challenges and so that's been, that's been. Those are the three reasons for the transition, and it's been a big life change. The first last year. My health has improved immeasurably. I would go through cycles of gaining twenty pounds with one kind of stress and then losing it, not in a healthy way because I was getting fit, but because of the various stresses of the job here. And now I've you know, finally gotten into a very sustainable routine with my health, like getting outside, I don't bring home, you know, the challenges of the of high stakes decisions every day to the to the you know, the dinner table or beyond.
Speaker 1: So you said, you said, it's been wonderful. You're a bigger Buckets for about a decade or as you still are in but you're not in the same capacity. Is it true that you never asked for a raise or that sounds like career self harm? You never asked for a raise. I'm so curious to hear what was your strategy about getting about compensation for your roles there?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that I started at Bigger Pockets earning about fifty thousand dollars a year in twenty fourteen, and at the time I was actually a decrease from what I would have been making if I had stayed at Dish Network. But I also had the opportunity to, at least in theory, to sell advertising for the podcast and for other parts of the platform. And so that was my opportunity to ramp my income. And over the years, I really only looked for more opportunities to sell more. I always you know, I didn't say no to a promotion, but I just did my very best for Josh and said I'm not I'm not just trying to grow Bigger Pockets, you know, for for that sake, I'm also trying to do right by Josh as the owner and help him make better financial decisions, and that earned I think trust with Josh the founder over time, to the point where when he had to step he promoted me from director to VP at BP. I loved being VP at BP. I just thought that that that rhyming title soundate so cool. And then and then to president in twenty twenty eighteen when he decided to sell the business, and so that was my career dirojector under Josh, and neither of those came with requests for raises. I asked for maybe more commissions. I asked for more equit in the business because I believed in what we were doing and solve the growth potential. But I wanted those more than my base. And the reason for that was simple is I already had enough base to cover my lifestyle expenses. I was saving plenty on that. More base was more taxable income, which is great. I wasn't gonna say no to it, but if I could, if I made it very clear that in any situation where it was possible, I'd rather have something tied to a percentage, something that could scale something that was reflective of my very best efforts to compensate me. And so I got raises, so significant raises, and got my salary well into the six figures. But I never asked for that as the primary means of compensation increase.
Speaker 1: And so then your work, how Bigger Pockets did as a company, well, that was that was directly tied then to your compensation. Right, So if the company continues to grow and succeed and generate profits, like your bottom line is better by having more equity in the business instead of just have a bigger paycheck every two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think, And I keep getting questions about from folks about whether they should do the same in their situations. And it's really hard to answer that because the right answer should I have asked for more of a base or should I have asked for more equity? Well, I didn't know how to value Bigger Pockets at twenty four, twenty five years old like that, that wasn't that, you know, twenty six whatever, whatever, you know those three years I didn't know how to value the company. I didn't I wasn't a private equity analyst and couldn't tell you what it was worth. Today or what would be worth the next year. I just thought it was special. I thought I thought we had something really good going on there, and I wanted to be a part of it in as big a way as possible. And so, how do you then give that advice to like a twenty three year old kid, or twenty four year old or even or someone who's you've got a family and kids is making that same decision at their company. What the right approach is in that category, I don't know, but for me it was obvious it was instinctive to do this, and I believe that you should apply that approach if your expenses are much lower than your base galary and there's a disproportionate payoff for lowering your base relative to the extra bonus sales or equity potential. And I believe that was overwhelmingly true in my situation across the years at Bigger Pockets.
Speaker 1: All Right, I got more I want to get to with you, Scott, including let's talk about primary home purchase and why you think that should never be considered an investment. We'll get to that and a few other questions with you right after this. We're back still talking with Scott Trench and I want to talk about the middle class trap and how that relates to taxes. Scott, I know that's something you really you wanted to discuss and bring up on this episode, so fill us in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, remember we talked about our middle class family who cannot go through the entire retirement account stack and a mass liquidity after tax right, they can't go. They can't mass out both for one k is the HSA their equivalent and some five twenty nine plans and still have enough leftover to actually make some kind of meaningful decision in their thirties. So many people are stuck in this situation, which I call the middle class trap, and get made fun of because it's not really a middle class problem. It's really a problem for people who listen to personal finance podcasts for decades and are strong savers and are likely to retire very wealthy. But anyways, I digress. The problem with this is if you want to retire early, let's say fifties, you know, early fifties, maybe even late forties or even earlier, the optimal allocation asset location dynamic is really hard to predict and almost certainly going to be a balance you know, imagine your wealth in thirds, right, You have your a third in your wroth, a third in your four oh one k your traditional four to one k R pre tax accounts, and a third after tax in your brokerage account. And the reason you don't want it all in the pre tax right, or the big third, the really big third in your pre tax accounts, is because that income that has to come out as ordinary income one day, and that's very tax inefficient. You can do that up to a certain extent of the zero percent tax bracket, like we talked about with the thirty two two hundred dollars married filing jointly deduction here in twenty twenty six. But what's special about after tax growth is that it can be harvested at a zero percent long term capital gains tax bracket, which is up to like ninety eight five hundred dollars for a married filing jointly couple here in twenty twenty six, so that should adjust with inflation over time. That's a really powerful way to harvest this after tax wealth. And you're not really taking advantage of that zero percent long term capital gains tax bracket if all your wealth is in the four h one k.
Speaker 1: So do you think most people get Most people don't realize that the zero percent capital gains tax bracket exists, like that there is a way to harvest gains from your tax bile broker's account and not pay tax. To most people, are they just completely uaware?
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of unawareness. I think people don't follow this then through to the conclusion. It's like, I should be maxing out my four oh one K, and that's great, you're probably gonna do that. But if you are a serious student of personal finance and listen to this podcast and read a dozen books, and you're saving thirty forty fifty thousand dollars a year towards retirement, which is not uncommon for the demographic that listens to a podcast like this. Yeah, right, then you're going to overfund retirement. You're gonna have so much more at the end of your journey than you really need. Or that's a real risk, there's a real problem. Like Ronald Reid, the janitor who died with eight million bucks. Right, that's not the goal. We're engineering for a different outcome here. And if you instead don't max out the four oh one K for a period of time. I think it's like two to five years, depending on your situation, you're going to pay, so you're gonna be a little bit suboptimal. But the opportunity cost is not nearly as large as you likely thought it was because you're only going to pay taxes. Now you're almost certainly you have a very high probability of not paying taxes on those gains at the end state. Now there's whole bunch of trade on. Yeah. Right, Like the four one K plans have higher fee investment products which can be a drag on their returns relative to your after tax brokerage, and the after tax brokerage if it's invested in next fund is going to have one point five or seven percent dividend yield, which will have a small tax drag. So you can beat me up on all these assumptions, but the end of the day, if you do a really rigorous analysis, the opportunity cost is not nearly as large as most people think it is. If they forego that deferral for a small number of years exit. My argument is for this family is max out your four one K for thirty five out of forty years, but the first five years or the next five years. Don't max it and focus on the after tax liquidity position because that will give you options along that entire life continuum, and you're only sacrificing a few years of that savings in the four oh one K And the earlier you do it, the most likely the lower relative income tax bracket you're going to be in, and the lower the opportunity cost. So that's the argument I've been working on in trying to defend rigorously in a very complex model, and it doesn't always hold true. Everyone's situation is different, but it's surprised it seemings to strike a chord and a lot of people who are stuck on this problem.
Speaker 1: Well, especially if you're retiring late fifties, you have potentially many years of very little income to be able to do a lot of tax maneuvering to at least pay a low overall tax rate, if not be able to completely remove your tax burden. Yeah, I feel like the average American, Well, when you look at the statistics, the average American has most of their wealth in their primary home.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: I don't think of that as a good thing. I think it's a forced method of savings, right, and so for some people who aren't going to invest in meaningfully in tax advantage retirement accounts in their taxable brokerage account, it's at least something, right, But what is your How would you want help somebody or want someone to think about a primary home purchase and how should they conceive of it if it's not an investment.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a what the concept of the fire portfolio and then your net worth? And so I when I create a personal financial statement, for example, I will exclude my primary residence from my fire my financial portfolio, I'll exclude five twenty nine plans, which are beneficiary accounts, don't advise funds. Cars, those are personal properties should be tracked, but they're not part of my financial portfolio. And so that's how I think about it is it's just it's just not part of your It's an expense. Housing is an expense, and it's there. You should track the wealth, you should know how it contributes to your net worth, but it is not something that will contribute to your financial independence or flexibility, except in the sense that once it is paid off or with a low interest rate mortgage, it pegs your housing expense at a lower rate, and you'll need therefore less of a financial portfolio to cover that. You can also include it in your financial portfolio if you intend to sell it. So if you're living in a property and you intend to sell it the next three or four years and then put that into put the proceeds into a financial portfolio, then I'd include it as an inflation adjusted store of value that equity. So that's how I think about it. I think again, it comes down to what's the lifestyle I want to engineer, and what's the cost of it. And I would encourage everybody to buy us towards if you can. The earlier you do it, the better. House hacking or live and flipping, where you move into a property and fix it up is the cheek code. You just do that a few times and you have very high probability of amassing hundreds of thousands of dollars that can make every financial decision for the rest of your life that much easier.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm hearing from more people who are buying rental properties while renting. How do you think of that? Is that is that weird? Or do you think that's that's like a wonderful thing for at least some people to consider, or is it like, no, don't rent house hack homie.
Speaker 2: I would say, I would say that if you are very wealthy and have specific goals or very high income, then yeah. I've certainly come across people who rent in Manhattan, for example, and buy rentals out of state somewhere else. So I think that's there's a specific thesis to that, and I think it can work out great. It's just going to be works. This is a business that you're building, and the idea is that you're going to somehow outperform the alternative, which is your passively managed index funds over some period of time. And I think you can do it if you use leverage and build good systems. But you got to be careful because you know, I talked to this guy who made six hundred thousand dollars in Manhattan in a bad year, and his plan was to buy Class C rentals in Cleveland. And that's great, you know you can do that, but this guy's going to have to buy a lot like one hundred and fifty Class C rentals in Cleveland while distracted from whatever he does, that's so important that it generates six hundred thousand dollars a year at income, and that probably number is probably only going up if he's actually good at it. That's that's a real sacrifice there that I think of not enough people actually think through, and I would buy as people towards thinking about real estate investments in bigger lumps. Right, maybe I'm buying one hundred fift unit portfolio in that situation, or or fifteen unit portfolios, ten of them over time. But transacting on rinky dink properties relative to your income or projected net worth, I think as a trap that a lot of real estate investors fall into, and they should. They should think about not just where they're at or where they're going to be in five ten years with their career trajectories. I think a lot of people then buy rentals that are pain in the rear and maybe do fine, but are insignificant relative to the position that they're otherwise building.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good point, and I want to drill down that real quick. So for the average person like who's making solid income and they're like putting money in the four one K, the roth iray, the h I can max all those out and I can build wealth that way. But I'm working fifty hours a week and I've got a family and so man, the rental real estate. I love that Scott did so well with it. I love hearing those stories, but my goodness, it feels like it would be a distraction in net worth building or maybe I just wouldn't be able to give it the time that it needs. One. From a research perspective, when you talk about before you bought your first property, Scott, before I bought my first property, I mean we're talking about dozens and dozens, if not one hundred plus hours of research and figuring it out and learning the ropes. It's it's like learning another language right before going to live in France for a year. You're spending two years on dual Lingo ahead of time. So from that aspect, do you think that rental real estate is like? How how should somebody know whether or not it makes sense for them given their lifestyle?
Speaker 2: Well, you got to be able to pay that. You just you just articulated it perfectly, right, we have bigger pockets. We literally map that out as the several hundred hour six months to two years emerging that real estate investors would put in prior to buying their first property, and that's the price. If you don't put that in upfront, you pay it on the back end when you have a bunch of problems you have to deal with. And you could still pay it on the back end, even if you put in that research, by the way, on the front end, but you pay that. You pay that price one way or the other, and that I think that. I actually got called out by this by a listener recently because I said doctors shouldn't pay that price, right, because that's silly. They're going to be distracted from their doctor profession. But this guy wrote me a very lengthy and very passionate and very correct rebuttaled that, saying no, no, the doctor's one. That they should pay it during residency when their income's fairly low and they'll be able to reap the rewards on real estate returns across a huge income earning career. That's very consistent. You can borrow against it all that. So I'll eat my words on that particular one. But I would say other high earning professions that are variable, for example, where the full time attention focused on that career, it could be very unattractive to put in that time investment that distracts them from the sixty first or sixty eighth hour of work that they could be doing. That translates directly to income potential. So that's very challenging. But for a middle class family, a middle to upper middle class family, that's where real estate I think has the sweet spot for a lot of folks, because that's where your side hustle now is actually something that translates directly to hourly savings for all the work you put into the property in the immediate future, and scales with you as you begin to build that portfolio over time. So I think it's hard as the years go by and your career progression moves forward, I think it gets harder and harder to justify the entry point into real estate investing for a lot of people, but on everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the earlier the better if.
Speaker 2: You're going to go into real estate, I think that paying that price early gives you the forty years to benefit from the expertise that can compound those extra returns. Yes, and I think the more likely you are to a house hack, which is the ultimate cheat code for this, because you mentioned leverage. With a house hack, you could have put down five percent instead of your friend who just bought a rental property you put down twenty five percent. That's a big difference. You can buy it with an owner occupant loan.
Speaker 1: Last question, do you think at some point the uh one, the market's too tough and you're just like, eh, I got a lot of other stuff going on. I got enough wealth. I'm not really interested in building up by rental property portfolio much anymore. Like I'm doing pretty good and the passive income is solid. How do you how do you know when to call it quits?
Speaker 2: So I sort of have gone down that rabbit hole to a point. So last year I moved money out of stocks and bought rentals. But I didn't buy a lot of rentals. I just bought two properties. These are big properties. One was a million bucks, one was six hundred thousand bucks. I paid cash for them. And the reason I did that is because now I got my income stream for those properties, and that supports a huge chunk almost all of the baseline spending for the household. And that's it, right, And so I have my levered property portfolio, and I still have my financial portfolio and some other some other you know, various projects that we talked about in that vision document, but that that really de risks my situation because I already paid that price over the years of managing rental properties, and it didn't complicate my position. I in by one hundred and fifty Cleveland Class C properties about two quality assets here in Denver I can drive to when there's an issue.
Speaker 1: Which is like buying buying headaches if you went that route, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think that's where that's the advantage of that, and you know, you can quibble, right. I think it'll be really interesting to see how this works because I sold the cash needed to buy those properties in February twenty twenty five, and if you remember, the market crash right after that, and I was like, oh boy, shure hire dodgeable, you know, And then of course it zoomed back up and ended the year like fifteen percent up. And now it's almost back to where it was in February as of this recording here at March thirty, twenty twenty six. So we'll see how this ride goes. But I wonder if I will get a very close return profile to the SMP five hundred unlevered if we assume these properties will appreciate three three and a half percent over five ten years, and I'll get my I would have wrote them both to about a six percent net operating income each, so let's call it five and a half percent cash flow after allowances and those kinds of things. And that includes property management all that stuff. So I think that that's we'll see, we'll see how it goes. But I think there's a I think there's a good chance that I'll have a much smoother ride and or maybe a pretty close result to the SMP five hundred over that time period. So we'll see. That's but that's fundamentally part of the bet.
Speaker 1: We'll have you have you back in a decade, we'll check and see how it's gone. Scott. I appreciate you man, thanks for joining me. And I know that you've been putting in a lot of work on bigger pockets money, so and you've got a lot more resources up on up on the site. Anything you want to send how the money listeners to?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if if you want to see, like what I'm trying to do one of one of the side projects here and I kind of do it in spurts. This week will be a heavy spurt because Mindy's on vacation and I have a whole bunch of free hours. But I'm building out these like spreadsheets or financial planning templates, and I think that there's a place for freepful, hopefully high quality resources here and I'm in a unique position to be able to do that. I think, so Bigger Pockets Money dot Com slash Resources has the latest versions of these. I have a personal financial statement, for example, that separates out those things. I've got that goal setting workbook that lists my vision as an example of what that could help out, and I keep populating it or updating them when people spot errors or suggest improvements in some of those resources. So that's the big project for the year.
Speaker 1: Well we'll link to that in the show notes as well. But Scott, thanks for taking the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Joel oh Man, such a great conversation with with Scott Trench, who is one an awesome dude and two just is clearly so passionate about this content, not just for himself, not just for his own life, but to see other people be able to enjoy the same financial freedom he's been able to create for his family, Like like I was like going to him after for just a quick second, and just all of the resources that he's creating over their bigger pockets, money that are free of charge, right to anybody who wants it, because he cares so much about other people having the freedom, earning that ability to have those options and avoid the middle class trap that we talked about, right, which is kind of this. Yeah, I'm saving for some far off future, but I don't know how to realize some of that optionality now. I thought Scott gave gave some good tips and I think one of the biggest ones, and it's something that's so underutilized, and we should man dedicate a whole episode to this at some point, especially if you are a younger listener. The house hacking strategy is unparalleled in terms of the options that can give you Currently if you're able to partic it. What if you're able to buy let's say, a duplex and rentout one unit, buy a triplex and renout two units, buy a property like the first single family property I bought. It was just I just had a roommate in there with me, and it was a ridiculously powerful strategy to be able to cut my living expenses so that I could save up that next down payment to buy the next home two years later. And it's not easy. It takes sacrifice, but there is nothing like house hacking. Then the third home, the third property I bought was a duplex, and we rented out the back part of that home for four four and a half years. And it's insane how much it juices your ability to reach financial independence, to funnel more money towards whether it's another property or towards your retirement accounts and your taxable broker's account. Just it frees up so much cash because it's reducing your living expenses meaningfully. So house hacking is something Scott did, something I did. I think we're both sold on that as a way for more people to be able to achieve the goal of financial independence earlier than most. And so even if you're thinking, man, real estate investing's not for me, I don't want some gargantuan portfolio, that's okay. I think for a lot of people maybe it just it doesn't make sense. I think the house hack can be that way where you do dip your toes in, but you're not going whole hog into real estate investing and it can be your way to have at least gained some of that flexibility without being a real estate investor who is constantly doing deals and has a dozen or more units. That's not necessary to achieve financial independence, but I do think the house hack can be a crazy good, powerful first step. So I hope you enjoyed this conversation. You can find the links to some of the stuff we mentioned up on our site at how to money dot com. Thanks, as always for listening. Until next time, Best friend out