Speaker 1: Joining us now on Bucco Banter is a new picture for the Pittsburgh Pires. Ron Mare Nacchio, Ron, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: How's the past couple of days been a little bit of a role win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of whirlwind. Spent a couple of days down in Florida, you know, wait.
Speaker 4: And waiting to see what happens, and super excited these guys called me and.
Speaker 2: You know, right in the playoff, right back in the playoff race. So I'm excited to be here, Bron.
Speaker 5: Let's take it back to your upbringing.
Speaker 3: You grew up on the Jersey Shore in Tom's River, a notorious location for Little league baseball. Did you was it at a very young age that you thought you might have a future in Major league baseball?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say, like, you know, I was hopeful for it, definitely, But it was just fun back then, Like you said, a lot of baseball around there, watching you know, Todd Frazier play to go to the Little League World Series. My brother played on a team in twenty ten that made it to the Little League World Series, didn't win at all, but just a good baseball culture, sports culture in general around there.
Speaker 2: So just enjoyed playing the game.
Speaker 1: After college. I know you suffered an injury and then you started coming out of the pen a little bit more. What's the mentality switch up with that like? And then how do you feel yourself progressing throughout your career coming out of the bullpen.
Speaker 4: It was the last year of college where my coaches figured it might be best with the team if I worked out of the bullpen a little bit. We were just, you know, a mid major school, so we weren't stacked with a ton of arms, and we had, you know, enough serviceable starters.
Speaker 2: So he said, try out the bullpen.
Speaker 4: And that's where I started to see velocity take up a little bit and just was comfortable throwing more often arm with Johnson back better than it was as a starter. I just like being a part of or feeling like I could be a part of every game rather than having those four or five days off in between. I like to feel like I could impact the game every night.
Speaker 3: Ron, let's talk about the mental side of the game. I love talking about the mental side game, especially as a former pitcher of myself. You're out there on an island, the spotlights on you, but as a guy that's also coming back from injury, especially after college, talk about how you work through the mental side of the game and how important that is for you every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I mean mental side is probably a lot more than the physical side. Obviously, you know, you have to keep your body in shape, keep your arm in shape. But I feel like I've seen here over my first four or five seasons that the best of the best are just they're absolutely nails up top.
Speaker 2: You know, they do the same thing every day.
Speaker 4: They're over four four for four, you know, seven pitch no run or seven inch no runs or a tough outing the show up the next day, do the same things, bring the same mentality, and you just see over time how important that is to be in that mental state, because you could feel the hitter kind of sends out a picture if he's not feeling confident in his stuff. And you could feel the other way too, if you're on the mountain and you can tell that a hitter is kind of like kind his tail between his legs a little bit, You kind of smell blood in the water a little bit. And that's just the small things at this level, like a big web.
Speaker 1: How do you prep throughout the season in terms of your pitch arsenal and pitch shape and design. Is that more of an off season routine or throughout the season. Are you constantly tweaking?
Speaker 4: Yeah, constantly tweaking. You know, if you show up in the season and you can go the whole way with without tweaking, you're you're probably in a really good spot. But I would say most guys are trying to tweak adjust to the game. They you know, you're hearing a lot for veterans in this game that you're gonna have to the league's gonna adjust you.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to adjust back to the league. And I've been in.
Speaker 4: That process of trying to add a cutter and what's the best shape with my cutter.
Speaker 2: And we've been working on that here now, trying to sweak with that shape a little bit.
Speaker 4: So we're always tinkering, trying to playing what pitch mix is working with what you're doing right now?
Speaker 3: Ron you your change up has been a signature pitch for you. When did that become a weapon for you? Because I know as myself, for myself, I was I never had a feel for a changeup like That's definitely a field pitch, I'd feel for a breaking ball. But what's what's the secret behind getting a feel for a change up?
Speaker 4: For me, it was my rookie ball coach Gerardo Cosa Diego in Pulaski, Virginia. You just suck, yeah, suck that grip in my hand one day and it was it was coming out good.
Speaker 2: I've always had feel for a change up.
Speaker 4: I was a fastball changeup guy mostly in college too, but it's more of a front to back and then you know, the changing the grip around. You learn more about the grips and pro ball and even just like as as the game's developed a little bit, we've learned a lot more about the seams and what the seams do to the ball. So yeah, for me, it was, you know, always a comfortable pitch, and then the grip change really is what made the change of takeoff for me.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you've come here and you're working on the cutter a little bit more. What have the initial conversations with the pirates been like in the past couple of days.
Speaker 4: I believe the way I throw the ball from the slot that I'm throwing it, that there is room for improvement on the cutter, and.
Speaker 2: We could, you know, get it a little bit verdier.
Speaker 4: Right now, it's probably a little bit of a blend of the slider, So we're trying to get a little bit more of a true cutter, just to compliment my other things a little bit better coming ou the pen.
Speaker 5: Is there a position that you feel more comfortable in?
Speaker 3: Because I remember watching you with the Yankees we were using some high leverage positions, maybe in some middle relief too.
Speaker 5: Is there a role that you feel more comfortable.
Speaker 2: Coming out of the pen in? Not so much.
Speaker 4: I mean with New York, I faced a lot of lefties because of the change up, and also just because of the Rosser construction what we had down there, we didn't have too many lefties. I like to throw often, like more often I throw, the better i'm feeling.
Speaker 2: But I've done a little bit of everything. Now. With San Diego, we had.
Speaker 4: A veteran we're established bullpen, so I was doing some longer, longer outing, So I got a little bit more comfortable doing that and had some experience doing just about everything. I would say I like to throw more often, but I'm here and willing to, you know.
Speaker 2: Chuck it whenever they need.
Speaker 1: Any relationships with the guys and the team being new here.
Speaker 4: Played with Ryan a bit last year when he came over to San Diego at the deadline, but this is a this is a new faith lit a new face for me, and you know, grateful that the team has been super welcoming to me.
Speaker 2: The staff has been awesome just verbializing me.
Speaker 4: They believe in me, and that's just big coming into a new spot, especially in the middle of the race, Like this big stretch for the team right now is just knowing they've got confidence in me.
Speaker 2: Feels good.
Speaker 3: What's the first impression meeting this clubhouse here, Ron, because like this is a this has been a younger clubhouse, but we added some veterans this year and this is a team that's looking to compete.
Speaker 5: What is what has been your initial impression here?
Speaker 4: It's been awesome. You know, it's everybody's excited in the clubhouse. Like I said, big stretch here, so boys are boys are hungry in there, and it is a change for me with the you know, you said you added veteran guys, but for me, this is a super young team.
Speaker 2: Being with New York and San Diego.
Speaker 4: I've been with two extremely veteran teams, and even in my fifth season, I've been one of the younger guys on the team my whole time, and it's different. You know, we got a lot of young guys that are, you know, big pieces of this team, and I haven't.
Speaker 2: Been a part of that.
Speaker 4: So it's cool to see these young guys carry themselves and what like what Jones said yesterday, going out there giving us a big star and you know, it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun to watch these guys.
Speaker 1: What compired to just to learn a little bit more about you. What are we going to hear coming out of the bullpen? What's the walkout music this year? And anything off the field that you like to do that might interest people.
Speaker 4: Walk out song, I just changed it to one of one of Drake's news songs, So that's gonna be a new one for me.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I was going with an Italian song back in San Diego.
Speaker 5: That I used and speaking of my heart right now, I was.
Speaker 2: I was using that through the WBC this year.
Speaker 4: They all Passo team just gave it to me as ass cool songs. I rolled with that last year, but switching it out now. But a couple of things off the field I like to do. I love the golf, I love to I love to play poker. I grew up playing poker. My grandfather was a big poker player. I watched him play poker a bunch, so just me and my brother, it was used to play games at home. I like playing cards in general, but golf and cards I like to do that in my off time.
Speaker 3: I have to ask, as a fellow Italian American myself, what does it mean to represent Italian Americans in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's awesome getting a chance to play on that team earlier this year was It's up there with one of the best experiences I've I've had playing baseball, and just an Italian American.
Speaker 2: Community and family, Like.
Speaker 4: We bonded super quickly, and I think that's just the roots of being Italian.
Speaker 2: We have so much in common.
Speaker 4: It's such a big, like family environment, so we're quick within those first two weeks to really feel like family and it feels good to represent awesome.
Speaker 1: Any favorite homemade dish.
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a big vodka sauce guy, so like a field parm with some vodka sauce on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, absolutely, absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: Well, hey man, we appreciate you joining the show and welcome to Pittsburgh and you can't wait to see a deal out there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, be the
Speaker 3: Parents can let me run the Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste uh whyee years the lawyer take my date to my dates or the stick by the plates in the