Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we were just fucking there.
Speaker 2: We were there and they had a better MC there.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is going in the cold over, guys. Let's go, let's get it all out. Who had the better wedding? No, here, here's who's got the longest life?
Speaker 1: Spandy think the relationship?
Speaker 4: Well that yeah, we had that. That's in the market betting markets already. I will just say a Chinese wedding MC is I think just the finest wedding MC you could possibly have.
Speaker 3: What's what's entailed by a Chinese wedding MC.
Speaker 4: She was running the banquet hall. There was an unscheduled singing performance by her assistant. She pulled up like multiple like it was a showbiz wedding, and she literally like pointed to like, I guess bleep that if you use this, and like pulled him up on stage or no. She was like, oh, I I know you. I've seen you on TV come on stage to do stand up. It was like just shy. It was likens people here. Holy shit, it was it was like just my mom didn't have stage fright.
Speaker 3: Hello the Internet and welcome to Season four eighteen, Episode three of.
Speaker 1: Dirty Hi Guys. To production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into American shared consciousness through the day's news. We also have a new weekly history version of the show dropping each Monday morning, where we do a deep dive into the history of a different icon. So far, we've done Einstein, Erkele, Miss Piggy with Jamie Loftus, Arnold Schwartzenegger with John Gabriis. Look for episodes on Monday with Icon in the title. It is Wednesday, December tenth, twenty twenty five. Names A O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined in our second seat by today's special guest co host, hilarious and brilliant producer TV writer. You know him from the Yos This Racist podcast.
Speaker 1: It's Andrew too.
Speaker 4: I forgot to come up with an aka I listened. I'm just slowly poisoning Miles so that I get to be here and let's care for him.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the plot of Phantom Thread, but it's vaguely.
Speaker 3: That os with mushrooms something like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Anyway, I'm poisoning his ass here. I am yeah, welcome. It's great. To have you here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Miles a little under the weather after Andrews. Andrews prolonged, yea poison?
Speaker 1: Do I not? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do I not reveal information like this? Does? Miles not like being seen as weak?
Speaker 1: Miles.
Speaker 3: I've never been sick one day in my life. Okay, Yeah, Miles is out on assignment.
Speaker 1: He's a report.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's doing some deep cover undercover journalism for us.
Speaker 1: Andrew were thrilled to be joined in our.
Speaker 3: Third seat by a hilarious TV writer and podcast superstar who hosts one of the great podcasts.
Speaker 1: I said, no gifts. It's Bridger Whine again.
Speaker 2: So nice to see you too.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's great to be seen by you. Great to have you been switched on radio voice. That's so lovely. That's right, You's resident.
Speaker 2: Andrew, stand up a little bit. I just saw your shirt. Oh, Kirkland's signature. That's righteous, gorgeous.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: This is this was not easy, not as easy to get as it should be. This career signature shirt was sold out immediately from stores, and my coworker at the time found one at a Costco in the valley.
Speaker 1: Want to say it like van NY's wherever.
Speaker 4: That one is, And she texted medium immediately, not even saying do you want this, saying I already got you one.
Speaker 2: That's a good friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So when they sell these people like line up and then I think they I think they're not many of them make it to the stores. It's it's typically online only. We a friend friend of ours, our mutual friend, Jessica Gao is the queen of Costco, and so she she put me on, not put me on. Is it weird to pretend like someone told me about Costco?
Speaker 1: But she I think.
Speaker 2: She is an advocate and she's kind of an Ambuenca.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, she she put me onto the idea that wearing all Kirkland gear is cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she was right. And you come by it honestly. You're you are an actual shopper at Costco. You you Yeah, partake chicken bake and the food.
Speaker 1: God, I've only had one chicken bake in my life, holy ship, that is the best food. Sorry, this is really Bridgard's time.
Speaker 2: I've never had the chicken bake.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: I've had the pizza. I like the supreme pizza there. I like, it's just so cheesy, so ship on there.
Speaker 1: In two seconds.
Speaker 4: The chicken bake is pizza dough filled with caesar salad, hot caesar salad dressing, and like cubed the chicken, the leftover chicken. It's basically like there's their caesar salad, like like pre made caesar salad pack minus the lettuce, plus pizza dough plus cubed chicken meat.
Speaker 1: My mouth is straight up water, like, what's giving it?
Speaker 4: Viscos because that sounds it's no, it's well, the dress, the dress, Caesar dressing, so very wet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a bucket of caesar dressing. It's so much.
Speaker 4: It's It is easily the highest calory menu maybe in the whole building.
Speaker 3: In a building of incredibly calorie dense food.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, crazy pants.
Speaker 4: And then the viral thing that kids were doing, which I do agree with.
Speaker 1: It was pretty good when I tried.
Speaker 4: It is taking the glizzy, also getting a glizzy and just biting the top off of the chicken bake and then just jamming the glazzy up in there. And Jesus, it's kind it's obviously insane, but it does work.
Speaker 2: Why does it need more?
Speaker 4: I know? I mean that if you start asking yourself. That question Costco is like a tire house of cards.
Speaker 3: Really falls to the ground. Bridget We're thrilled to have you here. We're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of things we're talking about. We've got an update on Katie Miller, Stephen Miller's wife, who is just an all around piece of work to really come into her own since teenage mutant Ninja Gebels got back into the White House, started a shitty podcast and accused people of launching terroristic threats against her family. We're gonna we're gonna look at what the police think of those terroristic threats. They are terroristic threats by way of colorful chalk writing on a pavement, the favorite method of terrorizing people of terrorists.
Speaker 1: We're gonna check out with Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: The tourism numbers are down and you'll never guess who's entered Las Vegas. It's private equity, always always good news. We'll check it with our favorite couple, Liam Neeson and Pam Anderson a couple mil more, but we did get some good details about what their brief time together was like, and then we will talk about a new trend in capitalist worker squeezing, which is that they don't want you to poop and they're trying to make a no pooping on company time movement happen. All of that plenty more, But first, Bridger, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 2: The most recent thing I searched this morning was Genshaw out win.
Speaker 3: And when are you going to meet her there at the prison?
Speaker 2: Like whin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll be leaning against a car, smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 2: It's very Ocean's eleven. We're going to pull a highs yet No, I uh yeah, I was wondering. And it's actually tomorrow, strangely enough, so wow, I mean hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, December tenth, today is Genshaw Day for all to celebrate.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's ready to go.
Speaker 1: Nice. Are you so you're a fan? I'm assuming Yes I am.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, boys, No, I'm from Salt Lake City and I've started for Better or Worse recapping the show for my podcast, and so it's a you know, I have to be on top of this sort of thing. But I've followed the whole journey. And I'm just so curious as to what this woman's life is going to be from here on out, because she like ruined thousands of people's lives and the idea of her actually not being a I mean, she must be a psychopath. I can't imagine her behavior has really changed. But maybe, I mean this could be a whole a new thing that shows me hope and humanity.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Yeah, she comes back completely reformed.
Speaker 3: And just goes into helping people around Salt Lake City. Right, what what exactly did she get caught doing? Was it like a Ponzi scheme?
Speaker 2: No, they were like contacting mostly senior citizens and like telling them that they could like launch businesses and then emptying their bank accounts essentially nice.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Yeah, I'm on her Wikipedia page, which really charmingly just describes us as legal issues, like she got called over for speed yeah, and then and then goes into wire fraud and money laundering and connection with a telemarketing scheme which goes pretty rough kind of.
Speaker 3: So this happened like as she was joining Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, right, Like she became a star on that show, and we're were people like kind of putting it together based on what she was doing on that show, or like was the spotlight? Did that have anything to do with her getting caught?
Speaker 2: I think the spot I must have had something to do with it, which is why I think like she must be a true psychopath because she had been doing this for a long time and obviously thought she was never going to get caught. She felt like she could be the star of a TV show and never I mean she was dry. I mean, like the amount of money she seemed to have never made sense with what the job she was talking about. It was all just very unclear. But I can't imagine that like law enforcement was watching the show and then put it together right, although that, I mean, that'd be incredible.
Speaker 1: I do have this.
Speaker 4: Little question, sorry, I saw on the Wikipedia because the scam was like just this version of like business coaching, like we're gonna we're gonna build like a business website for you.
Speaker 1: I guess it's the draining bank accounts part that's like not so good. I'm just like all this stuff is a scam anyway. I'm just like, yeah, what is.
Speaker 3: A line between this and every other capitalist enterprise? Like I maybe just poisoned in that regard. I had a Richard, do you has the recent uptick in like I guess Mormon shit in pop culture? Does that instill you with any like hometown?
Speaker 4: Like, are these the the SLC celebs that like you've been waiting for?
Speaker 2: These are the people I want representing me in my culture?
Speaker 1: For Sureah?
Speaker 2: No, it's it's It's been a very confusing thing for me because especially with like the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives. Initially I found the show so boring because I was just like, these are essentially women I went to high school with. I don't understand why this is so interesting people. But then like I got into the rhythm of it, and I realized, oh yeah, this must be so exotic. It's often I'm like I feel like I immigrated from another country where I'm like, the culture of Utah is so far removed from what the majority of Americans experience, So I can see why it's like people are like what are they doing? Why do they do any of this?
Speaker 3: So it's not just like goat like the Stanley Cups like came from the like those reality shows like that, that whole trend like came from that. So people aren't just like pointing and laughing. People are like, it's like aspirational for people to like look at these people's lives. And I think dirty Sprite also came from there at all? All the dirty so dirty soa probably not the probably not the one that's dirty, the only one I didn't come from. Did they get the idea from future if instead of like having the promothecy like the cough syrup in there, we put a flavor cocon oaconut mill syrup.
Speaker 4: I mean, there is like a world where they're just like we can safely co opt these trends and you know, until it gets outside of Salt Lake City basically because like you know, people aren't supposed to know about this other ship where where we could be our own culture and take you know a few borrow some words whatever, who care.
Speaker 2: Right, just kind of integrate them in. So yeah, but I think Mormon's for I mean, at least since blogging began, weirdly, Mormon women have been very influential on culture. Yeah, it's bizarre because yeah, it's like it's so aspirational because their lives, at least in photos or good recipes look wonder Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, the castle role culture, right exactly. Is there anything that so you grew up in Salt Lake City? Yes, yeah, is there anything that stands out to you that like you thought was normal and then you like got outside of Salt Lake City and you're like, oh, that's that's very particular to where where I grew up.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this recently. I was thinking about, like all of the teachers through my public education would in the morning would be drinking diet coke. And it occurred to me recently like people in other states or other cities probably their teachers, like they probably smelled coffee in the school or whatever.
Speaker 3: Because oh yeah, all my teachers smelled like coffee all the time.
Speaker 2: Right, And that just was I mean that maybe one in fifty teachers might have had coffee, but I can't remember any of them. So you would see a can of diet coke at seven thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I used to My first job out of college after being a pool boy was at ABC News and I worked on the same floor as Diane Sawyer and she would house diet coke like she you know, she was up for Good Morning America, like four in the morning. She would go through like a six pack by the time, like I was walking into the office. It was fucking crazy. So she was just peeing all the time. It just was so irredition that seemed terrible. Doesn't that seem like a terrible way to get your caffeine? Bridger, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I was thinking about was buying rocks. I don't know if you've ever had to buy rocks, but recently I had to buy some rocks and the experience was incredible. It was so every element of it was so not what I expected. I had to go to like a landscape supply center, and it felt so far removed from La. The two people just knew about landscape like they knew about rocks and dirt they didn't. And then I bought a pound of seventy five pounds of rocks. It costs twenty dollars. Wow, I mean I would have assumed that's like one hundred and fifty dollars. Seventy five pounds of anything for twenty dollars is an amazing deal. So it just felt great to be like walking away with this thing I could barely carry, and I had spent twenty dollars on it, and they knew, you know, they knew about every type of rocks.
Speaker 1: It was just very a rock though, What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: These were well, of course I got the absolute just cheapest rocks, but I had to buy some. I was looking for white rocks because our dog has been eating all of the dirt in our house plants, so I was like covered with rocks. But they didn't have entirely. So they're kind of like a beige, sandy colored rock that are each about the size of a large potato. Okay, right right, because I couldn't. We didn't want rocks that she could swallow, yeah yeah, yeah, or even take up in her mouth. So as plain ass rocks do would you ever?
Speaker 3: Like? Now, walk around and it's like that's like the border right there. There's pretty money sitting around here.
Speaker 2: I finally found my way out of the show business. No, I really I would recommend buying rocks. It's very nice. You find a nice local landscape store and go buy yourself some rocks.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventy five dollars seventy five pounds for twenty five bucks.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: I can't?
Speaker 2: That means wrong to me, I know, I felt. I was like, well, this doesn't add up in any way. They could have charged me whatever they wanted.
Speaker 3: Right, I feel like that at that point, you're almost like paying people to just like take them out of there so heavy. Could you like just get this out of here. We'll give you a half off, just like please get these wrongs out of our rock store, or like a gym situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did I ever tell you guys about.
Speaker 3: My when I lived in Brooklyn, like many many, many years ago, my idea for a gym, which is just a warehouse with a huge, huge, like forty foot tall pile of sand in the middle of it, and for fifty dollars a month, you could climb the pile and for fifty dollars, or for fifty dollars a month you could punch the pile and for seventy five you could climb or punch it.
Speaker 1: And that's the only rule of the gym.
Speaker 2: Was there any what about like moving the sand into a different hill of sand.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're talking about a different level as member there, that's really yeah, you want to go to the help build the second pile.
Speaker 1: Now you're talking about membership.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to build a gym that was an enormous pile of sand in a Brooklyn warehouse, which.
Speaker 1: I guess doesn't really exist here.
Speaker 4: The most difficult thing to attain about that now would be the Brooklyn warehouse that you.
Speaker 3: That's right, you got to you gotta move elsewhere, man, Harlem warehouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what uh? What's something?
Speaker 4: Bridge?
Speaker 3: Do you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Paper towels? Mm hmmm, huge waste of time and money. I my boyfriend insists on buying paper towels, and I refuse to use them. I use napkins I've collected from takeout or microfiber cloths, ought a bunch of those. Why anyone buys a paper towel makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Again, napkins, they're just fucking given away for free here exactly.
Speaker 2: They're kind of the rocks of food.
Speaker 3: You've got a nose for deals. We have so many free napkins, and like, we have drawers just stuffed with free napkins and free.
Speaker 2: I love hearing, yeah, because I have a I have a drawer that's just chaos. You open it. Unfortunately, I had to open it in front of company recently, and I was like, oh, this is this is actually.
Speaker 3: Like people over for Thanksgiving and like we're putting out the dessert more like here's a Domino's napkin from four years ago.
Speaker 2: Chipotle napkins just pouring out Jersey mikes. No, that is the best, but so much.
Speaker 4: I've done the dumber thing and I basically just used paper towels as napkins, which is.
Speaker 1: So much worse. England over there, Yeah, exactly, well I do, I do. I do get the my costco so they are a little cheaper.
Speaker 3: You get a bad roll of paper towels that like doesn't care right, and like the things are just like coming apart.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, paper towels and plastic wrap. If I when I buy those, I buy the cheapest version, and then it's just even harder. It makes my life so much harder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you tell yourself you hate them, but then if you spend too much, then you become addicted.
Speaker 1: Listen, there's two powers pretty bad there. You got to be in the middle ground, the Golden Bounty.
Speaker 3: You know, when you like get that bounty, you're like, oh god, there's things like a non Newtonian souff like just things shouldn't exist in nature where's the other ones? Just yeah, like it's got the serrated lines, but then like you tear it and it just like won't tear along those lines. The role, Yeah, yeah, it's just a lot of like triangular ripped oh yeah, squares paper towel without a clean rip.
Speaker 2: It's just not a good sight.
Speaker 1: Humiliating. It's humiliating as well.
Speaker 4: I love I love the institutional paper towel role that doesn't even pretend to have perforations, just big like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one that's.
Speaker 3: Like which meant to be in a like dispenser that has the ripping mechanism on it. But yeah, and so it's just it's just like a big sheet of like vertically on top.
Speaker 1: Of the thing that is broken. Yeah, and then like.
Speaker 3: Just like an elementary school art teacher's roll of paper that goes next to the big slicer thing. Yeah, that's what we used to dry our hands in my household. All right, let's take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll get into some news. We'll be right back, and we're back, and how about you guys up on Katie Miller.
Speaker 1: Katie Miller.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, I was not aware that she was Stephen Miller's wife. I didn't know he had ever had any relationship with another human being.
Speaker 1: So it seems to range doesn't.
Speaker 2: They have children, Like, yeah, you can't imagine that man reproducing.
Speaker 4: It's it's very miird sexually, I assume like a sort of a budding process or like.
Speaker 2: Like coming in like regurgitating another version mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is very vivid to me. But every other version of human reproduction not.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, There's there's a wild clip where like his wife went on the Jesse Waters Show, and Jesse Waters is like, you know, doing a post of waters World. All he's doing like a poor man's version of Don Draper, like he watched mad Men and was like this, this is it.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm doing for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: And he has her on and he called He's like and you're of course married to the sexual matador, and oh, we don't know what that meant. But they both started laughing so hard that it was like, wait, what she thinks it's a.
Speaker 4: She's like, oh well, or it's like a maga inside joke, I guess, But it also seemed like they were fucking like was what was the impression that yeah, that she and Jesse were because like they had like a very warm energy as they talked about her husband being a sexual matador, which feels like feels like it could be an inside joke between people like yeah, people who are cheating on their spouse being like, yeah, every time you try to have sex with him, he's like out of.
Speaker 1: And then they laughed way too hard about that. But yeah.
Speaker 3: So she has started a shitty podcast where she just like shows off complete lack of conversation skills. She's made some really memorable appearances on debate shows where she's so easily frazzled. It feels like she's engaging in self harm by even like appearing on the panel. Like there's one where like the person just like won an argum met with her and rather than just like, you know, you don't it's not like they were like winner or anything like that. You just move on to the next thing. But instead she just started screaming that she was gonna have them deported. She was like, you better get your papers in wine. It was like, really, she just went full villain movie villain, Like right away.
Speaker 2: What's the content of her podcast?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, it's just her talking to people about how yeah, they say something like nice but not quite nice enough. Nice enough, and she's like, you better get your fucking papers in order. Called you better get your fucking papers in order.
Speaker 2: With Pati Villa, every guess is just dragged if ice scream.
Speaker 3: But she's also done a really good job of pretending that her family is a victim of I guess like anything. So when people in their Arlington neighborhood were like, get this human trash the fuck out of here, kind of like not really, they protested in the most gentle way that somebody could protest, while you know, saying the truth. They wrote, Miller is praying on families. Not not like on their house. They wrote it on the sidewalk of their street in really nice, like light colored chalk, Like it was like a nice blue and then like it's like very Easter egg colors.
Speaker 1: I mean it is it is kids chalk. It is the only sidewalk chalk that really there is.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, I don't have kids, but it feels like it's always got it's that or white chalk.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, they don't have like dark jewel tone.
Speaker 1: Shock. Yeah, and you know the Miller is really like white chalk white. There's something about it.
Speaker 3: I just prefer Yeah, but she so she responded to that by saying people were making terroristic threats to her and doxing her, and it got so bad that they had to list their nearly four million dollar mansion, which when you think about that, that sucks you guys, and like, we're all, we're all for pushing back against fascism on this show, but like, when you have to list your four million dollar.
Speaker 1: Mansion, you can't be uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I've been through it so many times.
Speaker 1: I know lots they have to buy now for their new mansion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But we got the police report about the protests and the analysis by the police, who again don't they're not fully against overdoing it to protect people who live in four million dollars at the homes. That's kind of the police thing. But this Arlington police report kind of undermines her characterization of the protests. They said the messages were non threatening and alluded to political issues such as immigration, transgender rights, DEI, and white supremacy.
Speaker 1: So to County Police, welcome to the resistance.
Speaker 3: That's right, Ay cab for the next twenty minutes, no longer includes you. Yeah, so that's that's just a quick check in with them.
Speaker 4: We just like to the saddest, weakest people. These people also are like white people are the supreme. The master race is really struggling, I guess is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's hard, Andrew. We're having a hard time.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have to find neighborhoods without sidewalks, very difficult.
Speaker 4: Do you think does the handwriting in this I guess this is a podcast, but the handwriting in this in the still from the from Katie Miller is like so neat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has that kind of like she true it herself.
Speaker 3: Right, like the black rule rules from the Black Lives Matter protest that was clearly written by a Trump supporter. Yeah, or the woman who I just think they would have gone more over the top if you had done it right, they writ There's that young woman from New Jersey who recently got caught claiming that she had been like zip tied and like had Trump whoor carved into her.
Speaker 1: Back, I think.
Speaker 3: And then it was revealed her her case fell apart when it was revealed that her accomplice who had like found her and taken the pictures of her to share with police had recently googled where to find zip ties, okay, and then that she had recently googled scarification expert.
Speaker 2: So scarification expert she reached to do the cuts for actually doing it.
Speaker 4: I mean that there was the girl that did the had the backwards b on her face for Barack and like a fake black eye. I'm saying, at least at least they're making Yeah, they're making progress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, are you guys Vegas people at all? You ever go to Vegas?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: I mean there is literally there is literally the the like the like highway like exit I guess, or the split on the way going to Vegas. I just literally like Vegas or Salt Lake City like you could makes in America.
Speaker 1: I'll just say yes.
Speaker 3: And everyone who's listening to this podcast with me on before it probably already knows that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was there.
Speaker 3: Recently, there's a new Slate article about the somewhat of a vibe shift happening in Vegas, where a lot of the stuff, like they interview a lot of people in Las Vegas who are like used to get a steak this thick for six dollars and now like those days are all gone and the numbers are not promising. The hotel occupancy has cratered, flights to Vegas have cratered. Nobody from Canada, Like Canada used to be a large portion of the tourism in Vegas.
Speaker 2: They're surprising to me that don't seem like Vegas people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, there's there's plenty of garbage. I will say.
Speaker 4: I was at a poker table with someone from Montreal and it reminded me that some of them really are Vegas people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just find that it's just because you haven't been to Vegas, so you haven't.
Speaker 1: Met the Vegas too much. You're just not okay.
Speaker 3: That's where the no, yeah, absolutely not come from. There's even an air carrier that like used to fly low cost flights from Edmonton, and like other Canadian locations, they've had a sixty percent drop off people flying to Vegas. So there's like some very straightforward explanations for this. Tourisms down nationwide, it's just not as much down as Vegas is. But there's also something that's been happening over the past couple decades that is endemic to America, which is that they were taken over by private equity. They've been taken over by private equity companies, and the private equity companies are just finding any way that they can to like bleed people dry. So like all of those like free giveaways and things like that where the idea is like get people here and then you know, the gamble gamblers will pay for it. And amazingly, like as tourism as cratered, gambling profits have gone way up like which it's the exact story of the pandemic. Like, so what they did is they during the pandemic, not as many people were coming, so they changed the rules of a bunch of the games, Like Blackjack no longer pays out at like one point five. Now it pays out at like six to five.
Speaker 4: So they've like, yeah, and we let in your notes here. I have a bit on the not a bit, I have something to say about your life. Sorry, you go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, Roulette is used to be like one of the better deals that you could get, like essentially, if you hit, they would pay you out for Like as you know about the right odds. The only thing that keeps it from being completely even odds are the green zeros that they the zero and the double zero first it was just one zero and then they were like, guys, I got a fucking crazy idea a second zero. And during the pandemic they had another brainstorm. They were like triple zeros. I'm just saying, so they just keep adding record, but triple zeros are.
Speaker 1: Like illegal in Europe.
Speaker 4: Like if you're a casino operator, eat double zeros, frowned upon. Triple zero is like fully illegal. Yeah, Like it is such a juicing of the odds towards the house that is like truly disgusting.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so they do all these things to make gambling more like worse for people, more expensive, and then they do it during the pandemic to be like we got it, we got to stay afloat, and then they just never take it away and it's like all of the yeah, that's everything exactly, that's everything, like and even during the pandemic, like all these companies that were supposedly like struggling to stay afloat or reporting record profits as just like how are they getting away with this?
Speaker 1: Part of it is that gambling is a thing that you can become physically addicted to, oh right, addicted to, but like.
Speaker 4: Like changing the odds, like you might lose some people, but you hit the floor of the whales and addicts and they will just pay at whatever odds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forever. It's really really, really sad and gross.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we call inelastic demand, which is what private equity goes around looking for and they just find anything they can it. Really it feels like like we talked about this when they first started doing it during the pandemic, that everything started feeling like airport prices. You know, like before you would like go into an airport and you'd be like, why is this bottle of water seven dollars? Like that's crazy, but like you know, it's because they have you captive, and like you can't go.
Speaker 1: Anywhere else to get a bottle of water.
Speaker 3: And now it's just like the whole capitalist like ecosystem is just like, yeah, you can't go anywhere. We're we're doing this just everywhere. It's just airport prices all the way down.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The thing I've noticed is charging for sauce. Have you noticed now if there's a sauce, you have to pay for the sauce. Oh yeah, it's ridiculous. Sauce should always be free.
Speaker 3: Yeah, free, sauce makes sell more food.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll buy more of your food if I can dip it in something right.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah.
Speaker 4: The Vegas thing is like, I mean, the thing is, it's like, as someone who isn't even particularly a believer in capitalism, I don't I truly don't understand why no casino owner has just been like, hey, we're just gonna zag when everyone else is zigging and just charge less for this ship that we already will definitely still be making a profit on. It's really weird to not just be like, hey, this is the casino that you can afford to bring your family, Like I don't, well, I mean yeah, or whatever, or or you the person who might not be in the one percent. We you there's a market for you, come to this casino.
Speaker 3: The only really fun night I've had in Vegas was that there was a casino that had like a burger king in it, and that I think that was it. It wasn't like like there were.
Speaker 2: No you were in a burger king.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea, a burger king was lot machines. No, it had a Irish theme. There are people like little people walking around with like Leprechaun costume. What and it was like the lowest limit, like you could play craps and like not lose all your money within thirty minutes. And like that's where I like learned to play craps, Like you could play the whole night. And it was just I think it was in the basement of like a real casino and there's like, yeah, no, let's rend it out to them, and they just everything has gone in the other direction now, like all the blackjack tables are fifty dollars minimums, and yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it is the story of like maybe this is just a starker example of how private equity works, but like they literally have no regard for the future, like even that, right, this is a predatory industry, but let's imagine it sort of wasn't, Like what the way you keep this industry alive is by introducing young people to the fun of gambling, right, And again I'm saying this this is insane and maybe this is just better in general, but yeah.
Speaker 1: They're like pruning their next market away.
Speaker 2: From drive it off a cliff and then find another thing to drive off a cliff.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, I mean there were things to be driven off a cliff. I guess there's plenty of many, many.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. It's this thing that by nature is like to bleed people dry. And they're like, this is not bleeding people dry enough. How do we keep right? Exactly, just leave it alone.
Speaker 3: It was so profitable we remove the friction of the blood leaving their body. It's a little slow for my task exactly. Yeah, yeah, I mean this is what they've done to like veterinary care. Like the veterinary care industry over the past two decades has been taken over by private equity, and they were like, man, these fucking people will pay anything for their pets, and so now they I just had this happen. Yeah, everybody is having this happened now.
Speaker 4: Got the same procedure basically a year apart, and it was six times more expensive the second time.
Speaker 1: It was fucking crazy pants.
Speaker 2: My friend was just banned from her VET because they were charging so much that she got in a fight with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, like they're there. They need bouncers at you know, vets now. But yeah, so like things like we had a superroducer Ana jos Nie on yesterday talking about this.
Speaker 1: She was just there for.
Speaker 3: Like an f She was there during an F one event, so like that's they're still like chasing the high end of things, you know. Yeah, but then things like the thunder Down under Dance review, the Australian centric like Chippendale's is going away, you know, that's the record Magic Mike is a superior. That's exactly what she said. She was like, it's not it's not the worst thing in the world, but everything that is like kind of shitty and like feels like you're in Vegas is going away. Like the free drinks like you can get you can maybe flag down a waitress for a free drink over the course of a night, like at the hotel. They're at the casino.
Speaker 1: It's it's really like, yeah, I guess, like so clearly like we just want your money right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in a way that it already was like that, but it's just more this is kind of the ultimate version of private equity taking something over because it is like the whole formula was already set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So gambling revenue is up, everything else is way down, and that's it. There's also this paragraph in there where like you see how this is being described by the people in Vegas like who make the decisions and have money. Oliver Levett, this is a Slate article link off two via the wayback machine. Oliver Levat, a real estate consultant at the Dentston Group Denstone Group.
Speaker 1: By the way, black.
Speaker 3: Rock is one of the private equity companies that is like fully taken from who serves as an advisor to several Vegas casino properties, said, I needed to understand that cheaper games are no longer economically prudent in the city. Between inflation what's causing that upkeep and the real villain here labor costs, including in Nevada minimum wage that jumped to twelve dollars last year. Levette argued, the salad days of low minimum blackjack have been legislated out of the fray. After all, it is telling that no matter how much Vegas tourism declines, the city's gambling revenue continues to tick up. That's not an after all, that's a counter to everything that guy just said. Everything is like they're still making more and more money and you're complaining about like having to pay people a living wage.
Speaker 1: But also to these fucking business geniuses it's like you need low cost blackjack players so that they become high like limits blackjack players. How are you not start right? Yeah, yeah, it's really really really I mean.
Speaker 4: Like like all places that private aquly like they literally have just like goldfish level.
Speaker 1: These alleged business geniuses cannot see beyond like a one year horizon, It's right, and that is why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's the explanation for like why we don't have toy stories in America anymore. It's like they they took over Toys r Us and they have no future. They have no like sense of the future. All they're doing is extracting as much wealth from the thing as possible and then like discarding it and they still do great. And you know it doesn't like the system set ups where there's like no disincentive for them to do that, right, And so everything's just getting worse except for the yacht sales for people who work in private equity.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll back, we'll talk about Liam Neeson and Pam Anderson and pooping at work.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: And we'd back and I don't know, how did you guys have a lot riding on the Liamnese and Pam Anderson relationship.
Speaker 2: I knew right from the start that we were putting the entire country is putting too much weight on This was the moment fell apart. They should not be responsible for the country's emotional stability.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, a Vegas article didn't mention them breaking up as anything as having connection to Las Vegas feeling so depressing lately. I mean she was just in that last show Girl movie.
Speaker 2: True, very good point.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so we we hadn't really had confirmation from them. It was just outside rumors, and right as we get the goods, we're also told they're no longer together. Pam Anderson said she spent an intimate week with Liam Neeson at his home in upstate New York. She referred to this time as their romantic lost week. I had my own room, she revealed, our assistance, both came. Even family stopped by.
Speaker 2: It's such a weird detail, like.
Speaker 4: Right, like this might have just been Also, is she talking about shooting that scene in a cabin?
Speaker 1: Right? It feels like a scene from Naked Gun.
Speaker 2: She's e the Snowman.
Speaker 1: Yea, we just we just found that was so good.
Speaker 3: I found out that Gwyneth Paltrow like thought that Tom Holland's name was Peter Parker and I was like, no, that's that's not true.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She was like, that's Peter to Robert.
Speaker 3: Downey Junior, and he was like, no, he's Tom Holland. He plays a character named Peter. You've been in four movies with him. Good for her. And then she also and this is more a testament to Marty Supreme's makeup work, but she was like to Timothy's child May she was like, you know, I actually have like a skincare thing, like I could help you out with all those like pock marks on your face. He's like, I'm I'm wearing makeup.
Speaker 1: What are you talking.
Speaker 3: This almost feels like Pam Anderson like is half remembering the scene from the movie.
Speaker 4: Because just be credulous. That's why you're such a good actors. You just believe it forever.
Speaker 1: She said.
Speaker 3: The two went to a tiny French restaurant where Nissan introduced Anderson as the future Missus Neeson okay at one point. At one point, she said, Nissan chased off a bear in his bathrobe.
Speaker 2: In that scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there's no way these are not outtakes from that. This is just setting up that video that's coming out next.
Speaker 2: Week describing bloopers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always was laughing when people thought, oh, that's a publicity stunt. I'm like a publicity stunt.
Speaker 1: This is real.
Speaker 3: We have real feelings. And then they were like, so you're still together. It sounds very serious. The future missus neesan. She said, I adore Liam, but we were better friends in all honesty, in philosophy, so she was.
Speaker 1: She said.
Speaker 3: The last time that they connected was Nissan surprised her by attending her performance in Casino Real at the Williamston Theater Festival. So it sounds like he's he's a little bit more smitten than maybe she is.
Speaker 2: This is probably the best way for this to end, and just kind of confusing petering out where weird.
Speaker 1: Lost weekend that she.
Speaker 2: Is great, but we're not as invested at this point. It's like if it had been real then they had broken up, the world would have been over. We would have all killed ourselves. So this is the best possible situation.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, they'll always have that weekend and we'll always have that brief period of yeah, exactly. That amazingly edited footge of their weekend. But that home movie all right. And finally, The New York Post has sparked an online debate after posting an article all about how to make yourself poop in the morning so you don't have to take a shit at work, helpfully posting some of the most unfortunate stock photo models of all time. There's like, there's like one one girl just looking dreamily off in the distance with like a toilet in the back in the background, and then there's a woman in a leather skirt who's like standing up in a way that I feel like in her mind she was like this will be used in a motrin ad, and instead they have recontextualized it, so it's like she's holding the ship into her butt.
Speaker 1: It looks like she stands up at work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and her skirt is like dark brown and a kind of weird.
Speaker 1: She's like, yeah, she's like a five year old.
Speaker 4: She's like physically plugging the levee.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: We've all been in work meetings where people like, oh boy, I didn't stand up actually grab it, grasping their ass, pushing it together. But they also reported that one in three gen Z workers are too scared to use the office bathroom and this is just an overall issue. Like an Australian health department had to launch a social media campaign in twenty twenty four being like it's okay to poop at work, guys, like with dolphins and rainbows in the background. But in America, I feel like everyone's like I'm doing something bad, I'm wasting the company's money.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be mad at me. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Will say I had a I guess he was a VP at a job I used to work at that one time.
Speaker 1: I was like exiting or washing my hands or something in the bathroom. He came in.
Speaker 4: He did have a bit of business to talk to me about. Started to talking about the business, went into a stall and continued. We continued while he took a ship. And it was a little I guess, as I'm saying it out loud, legally actionable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, enjoying that. Yeah, yeah, this is that was okay. I wait for Andrew to go wash his hands and then bingo.
Speaker 1: Them. Well, taking a ship, So you do you have the files or did you finish the report? Like it was crud? You could like hear him groaning. Yeah, truly he was.
Speaker 4: I mean he was fully just taking a you know, middle aged man ship and continuing to talk to me about where and I couldn't leave.
Speaker 3: That's like a thing that was like a power pit play that LBJ used to do. He would like pull people into his white house bathroom and make a like have a meeting with them while making unblinking eye contact while taking a ship right looking at his notes, he was like, Yeah, that's kind of what I do to make them know whose boss.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess that has to be in some fucking business book somewhere. I'm guessing. Even more than that was horrible was the fact that there's no way that was original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he.
Speaker 2: Got that idea from someone else.
Speaker 3: That business book so warmed its way into like the executive class way that they think about the workplace that now they're like.
Speaker 1: And you know what, you can't shit? Yeah, you in the office.
Speaker 3: Actually, one business publication was sued for docking their employer employees pay if they spent more than ninety seconds in the bathroom. A Swiss court backed a company that was forcing workers to clock out when taking a shit, and a Michigan man was recently fired after posting an Elmo meme that said boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I poop on company time. And it was a little like potty training Elma.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I don't think you should should at work. I think you go into the bathroom stall to just hide and just do whatever you want for as long as you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do whatever you want in there, to be honest, that's your little area, that's right.
Speaker 2: Save the shitting for home, and then the bathroom sall is your playtime freedom, that's right.
Speaker 3: There's even a British company that I'm to be able to new standard toilet which was designed at a downward angle of thirteen degrees in order to cause leg strain after five minutes of sitting, to just try and get people back. But I mean this ties into like the like Amazon workers be it like not having time to clock out to or not having time to use the bathroom, and like like their efficiency numbers go down if they take a bathroom break.
Speaker 1: So you just want to start shitting on your boss's desk, folks, just I'm trying it.
Speaker 2: If they buy my diapers, that's right, So fly me with diapers and I'll stay out of.
Speaker 3: The bathroom, except yours is like into it.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, fine, I The thing.
Speaker 4: That's so crazy to me is like this can't I mean, I guess it's just psychological dominance, as we've said in different ways already, But like, there's no way this actually affects like fucking productivity. Yeah, Like there's no way someone who like has to take a shit for most of the afternoon is doing good work, right, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: It sounds like it does. And so somebody gets promoted for coming up with the idea of like monitoring people's bathroom use. You know, we just make them wear this like ankle monitor so we know whenever they're.
Speaker 1: Going into the bathroom. Actually, let's put it around their.
Speaker 3: Neck actually, so it looks like one of those things that explodes heads. And uh, The Running Man or Battle Royale and yeah, hey plenty, can we.
Speaker 1: Talk Battle Royale? We could? Does everyone want to do a little cocaine? And we can be Quentin Tarantino on a podcast?
Speaker 3: Uh, well, Bridge, are such a pleasure having you as always on the podcast?
Speaker 2: Where can people thank you for having me?
Speaker 1: Where can people find you and follow you? And all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I have a podcast called I Said No Gifts, and we're on Patreon now doing all sorts of things. I'm recapping all sorts of reality television.
Speaker 1: This thing is they keep bringing you gifts the people.
Speaker 2: The amount of objects that I've collected over the past five years is a huge problem in my life. But yeah, you know, Instagram or whatever.
Speaker 3: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question. Let's see. As far as professional media, I continue to recommend the television show Ripley, which I just think was so good and so underrated. And then as far as social media, the comedian Pete Zias is kind of the only reason I get on Instagram anymore. It's essentially just him recapping inside Edition, and he has a perfect voice. He's so funny and kind of the only person who's not actively embarrassing themselves on Instagram.
Speaker 3: There you go, amazing, Andrew. Where can people find you as their workI media you've been enjoying? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on I don't know social media, Andrew Tea.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: We have a premium show for Josus Racist now called Starter Trek, where my co host tany news someone who is Star Trek Royalty, and I am the opposite. She's making me, not making me, she's allowing me, helping me watch Star Trek episodes, and I don't know jack shit about Star Trek.
Speaker 1: So you have the interesting philosophical questions that you like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like it's just Star Trek is crazy pants. I'm trying to find the exact one, but I have somehow been shunted into the part of Instagram that's old white people speaking perfect Chinese.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 3: I am not going to be able to find it, but just know that I've been enjoying that. That's apt. Yeah. I like watching like old people who can actually like dance really well, you know, like that's a fun genre of where.
Speaker 1: It's like what, okay people, old people crushing it.
Speaker 4: Although some of those I am like, increasingly they're going to be ais, but oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, probably half of them already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I've been fooled again.
Speaker 3: This is like the I don't know I'm not talking about. It was like, hey, guys, you know what's underrated? Watching all these these raccoons who can jump on trampolines. You were there for that humiliation and.
Speaker 2: No, I'm so sorry to hear this because I was like, that's coming for all of us.
Speaker 3: Well, I've I've always been a fan of Bears on Hammocks, which is a pre AI thing, So I thought that this was just an extension of that. They'd discovered trampolines. It turns out not something.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm sorry, I'm not over it yet. Yeah, you'll train one to do it.
Speaker 2: You could get it to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got to put in the work. You're no plagiarist.
Speaker 2: This was a laziness issue on your part.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter at Jack underscorel Brian on Blue Sky at Jack ob The number one workimedia I've been enjoying is just that magical weekend that we have committed to film on Naked Gun.
Speaker 1: That uh Pam Anderson and Leam Neeson spent together. Recommend that movie and that scene.
Speaker 3: It's really nice, romantic romp.
Speaker 1: The snowman gets involved. I can't believe she left that.
Speaker 3: Part out of her recounting of the snow was one of their assistants.
Speaker 4: Right, do you feel like if it kept rolling, she would be like, and the snowman was there.
Speaker 1: And he was so nice.
Speaker 3: You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeitgeist, where at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram, you can go to the description of this episode wherever you're listening to it, and there you will find the footnotes where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. With Miles out, we like to ask super producer Justin Connor, Justin, is there a song that you think the people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: If you like your prince music confused with wigs and cocaine, then you're gonna love this song. It's a modern twist on the glamorous synthpop era with lyrics that are straight out of a drill song.
Speaker 1: It's pretty.
Speaker 6: It's a fun mix of things coming together. The song is called Yes I Do by Leon Knight and Dwyane and you can find that in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 1: The Daily es Eye Guys is the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us. This morning, we're back this afternoon to tell you what it's trending, and we will talk to you all then by The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine Law.
Speaker 1: Co produced by Bae Wang, co producer by Victor Wright, co written by J M McNabb, Edited and engineered by Justin Conner,