Speaker 1: Movie.
Speaker 2: I went from being fine to walked into a wall, collapsed in my office, lost vision in both of my eyes, and couldn't feel half of my body. That's when we all decided, I need to go to the hospital right now.
Speaker 3: It's not something that's outwardly visible, and so they'll end up often in the emergency room because the symptoms are severe.
Speaker 4: My older sister like asked the doctor is she going to be okay? And the doctor had no response.
Speaker 2: I felt like I was going to die, and all I could think about was like, I don't want my mom to lose another kid.
Speaker 1: How terrifying would it be to fight an unknown enemy, one you didn't recognize and didn't see coming. What if that enemy was coming from within a disease that even doctors couldn't identify. Nearly half of all Americans suffer from some chronic illness, and many struggle for an accurate diagnosis. These are their stories. I'm Lauren Bret Pacheco, and this is symptomatic. Meeting Samayra Ahmed, You're immediately struck by her radiant smile and the passion that fuels it. I did go down the rabbit hole. Sumyra is a beautiful name, thank you, but it has a very fitting meaning as well for you. It translates as a famous woman, a woman who entertains a successful woman. And so I thought, how did your parents know to name you Samyra? Oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Am shook because my entire thirty five years of existence, I was sort of under the impression that Samayra stems from the Arabic word samra, which means brown skin.
Speaker 1: That did come up. But it's a successful, celebrated, famous woman, a woman who entertains.
Speaker 2: I have the chills.
Speaker 1: I have the chills. So you'll have to check in with your parents and see if they knew that when they named you. For people who don't know you, How would you describe yourself passionate?
Speaker 2: I do think I'm sort of a natural born leader. I always have been since I was a kid. Advocacy has always been a part of my life in different forms. So I believe in community. I'm a very community oriented person. Describe myself as kind of a citizen of the world. I am so fascinated by cultures, languages, different countries, how people live, just people in general.
Speaker 1: The youngest of three sisters, Samira, is just sixteen months younger than her sister Sabrina, and they were raised almost like twins.
Speaker 4: I think because we're close in age, it was easier for us to relate more. We dance, We went to dance school together, we went to singing classes together, Sunday school, and then you know, we went to the same high school. So we had a very close relationship in the sense that we did do a lot together.
Speaker 2: For context, my parents immigrated to the US from a small country in Asia called Bangladesh and they moved to New Jersey, which is where I was born and brought up. And in New Jersey, we were very fortunate to have a very deep rooted Bengali community. So these were folks who immigrated to the US like my parents, and their children were born in the US like myself, and to keep our culture alive, they developed this community that to this day is still standing so strong. So part of that included a dance school, a local dance school, a singing school.
Speaker 1: This community is where Samaira fell in love with performing, singing, dancing, acting, all of it inspired by the Bollywood movies she grew up watching with her family. She dreamed of becoming a star. She even moved to India during high school to study performing arts, displaying an adventurous bravery that would soon prove invaluable. Despite the success of her budding acting career, Samyra decided to prioritize her education and returned home to attend college. What is amazing to me is that you had lived a very international, very full life at such an early age, and there were no health issues even now looking back at your childhood, nothing that would have been a red flag. No, I was so healthy. So then take me to when your symptoms began. You were working full time living in Boston. When did you begin to notice something wasn't quite right.
Speaker 2: So I had taken a break from acting when I went to university and a few years after that. So this was now the spring of twenty fourteen, when I was twenty four. I had oral surgery, very standard. I got four of my impacted wisdom teeth extracted, and then following the procedure, I had an infection, which obviously was uncomfortable, but still I didn't really think much of it. I went to the doctor. They fixed it with dressing, an antibiotics and all of that stuff. So I was not so worried about it. But two weeks after that infection, I randomly lost vision in my right eye and it started with just like a black, little circle, but then over the next few days just kept expanding and expanding. Now the irony in all of this is that I was working in ophthalmology at the time, Thank God, because I immediately approached some of the doctors that I worked with and I said, hey, I can't see out of my right eye. Immediately They're like, oh, let's check your corneas. Everything was fine and structurally, and then I had something called a visual field test, and this is where they were able to see that I had lost about sixty percent of my vision in my right eye. So my field of vision just like kind of closed in.
Speaker 1: That must have been terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's so fun, Lauren. I wasn't afraid at all, because I was like, oh, I have an eye issue. I work with nine eye doctors, they all are affiliated with Harvard. I'm gonna be okay, they'll figure this out. So I wasn't scared at all. In fact, I wasn't taking it as seriously as maybe I should have. So there was only so much that they could do in the clinic, so they sent me to the hospital to get an MRI because they were like, they think that this might be something neurologically related.
Speaker 1: So that MRI revealed inflammation. Just explain how they gave you the results of that MRI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny. Fourth of July twenty fourteen, I show up to mass ionear with my weekend bag. I'm like, all right, I'm going to get this MRI and go to my fourth of July barbecue. So naive and I thought I was going to be like in and out, you know, super easy. And what was supposed to be like a two three hour appointment turned into fourteen hours in the emergency room, having seen specialist after specialists in all of whom are just kind of scratching their heads wondering why is this young, otherwise healthy woman rapidly losing vision hour by hour? And when I came out of the MRI, I was greeted by a couple of neuroophthalmologists and they said, Samiri, you have lost vision because you have inflammation on the optic nerve in your brain. And my initial reaction was no, I don't because you just cannot process something like that at such a young age when you're perfectly healthy. Otherwise somebody's telling you you have inflammation in your brain and you just don't believe it because at twenty four years old, you think you're invincible. So I just denied it. I was like, no, that's not mine. You must be mistaken, and they're like, no, no, no, here it is.
Speaker 1: Did they row out ideas as to what could be causing it.
Speaker 2: So I was admitted right away into adult neurology and they started loading me up with ivy steroids and I was, of course complying and all that, but you know, you have questions. You're like, what is happening? Why am I getting this? And so basically what was explained to me during the onset was that I had an adiopathic case of optic neuritis, which is vision loss duit to inflammation, and that my vision would return within three months to a year. They said, don't worry, you're going to be fine. You do have a sixteen percent chance of developing MS at some point in your life, but it's such a low percentage. We're pretty confident you're going to get your vision back and all will be back to normal. When I got discharged. They said, just take some vitamin D. You're severely vitamin D deficient. So again, at twenty four, when all the experts around you are not worried and saying you're going to be okay, You're like, okay, I'm going to be fine. And I moved on with my life even with vision loss.
Speaker 1: Believing these troubles would soon pass. So Mayra returned to her normal routine work, family gatherings, and nights out with friends until her symptoms quickly resurfaced.
Speaker 2: I turned twenty five just a couple weeks later, and I maintain to this day I partied like a rock star, as I should have, because you know, twenty five Golden Year, and yeah, just a couple no. A week after my twenty fifth birthday, I lost vision in both of my eyes. I couldn't feel half of my body. Everything felt like it was on fire. I was also in some pain, severe nausea, and instead of staying home like a normal person would when they're not feeling well, I felt safer being in my office around all of these doctors. I didn't want to be at home alone with all of this happening. I was walking or hobbling to my office trying to and luckily it was in a populated area, and because I couldn't see, I literally walked into a wall, bumped my forehead and then I collapsed, and I think I did lose consciousness for a few seconds, but it was quick because next thing I saw, my boss was like, hello, are you okay? And then you know, my coworker was there too, and I was just like, I don't think I'm okay. And they knew that because they had been checking in on me almost every few hours. Now, imagine I work with all of these specialists that are at Harvard and mess General and they have all the pedigrees in the world, and they treat you know, eye problems all day, every day of so many kinds. This was the first time that they saw something like this, so even they were nervous, and seeing the nervousness on my boss's face, that was when I started to take this seriously.
Speaker 1: Samayra had not yet shared any details with her family about the first episode or the inflammation on her optic nerve. She had kept it all to herself. Now, on the way to the er, she faced the difficult task of sharing this news with her family. Something she had been dreading.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell my family the first episode because I didn't want to startle anyone. No one seemed to think it was a big deal in the hospital, so I was like, I'm not going to worry people for no reason. But I was in the ambulance. I called my family. I said, you guys need to come to Boston. I think something's very wrong.
Speaker 4: At the time, I was like, very fresh in my career, and I got the phone call, and it's like a little daunting to get a phone call like hey, listen, like very nonslotly, and then when she got into it, of course more emotionally. I honestly didn't know the extent of how detailed of an issue it was. None of us knew what it was until you get there and you're there for days on end, and that's when it becomes more like, Okay, things are getting more real, some things out right.
Speaker 2: And within hours everyone was in Boston. This time, I could tell that the hospital also was taking it seriously, not that they weren't before, but I think they also understood that things have evolved, things have progressed. This is not what we were dealing with the first time, and so I was taken in right away. Four hours of imaging twenty vials of blood. I had my first lumbar puncture, which was the worst, and I was started on ivy steroids right away.
Speaker 1: For people who don't understand, can you just explain what a lumbar puncture is and how it feels.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, it's when they extract with a giant needle cerebral spinal fluid from your spine, and it is I mean, I have chills talking about it now. I've had it twice in my life. It is one of the most traumatic things I've ever experienced in my life.
Speaker 1: So take me to your family, going from no knowledge that there's a problem to stat it's an emergency. Take me to the moment they all are surrounding you.
Speaker 2: I was on a lot of medications because of how much pain I was in, So the first time I remember seeing them was after my lumbar puncture. I was in my room. I was definitely on morphine and I woke up from I guess whatever, maybe a nap or a medication induced nap, and confused. I could also see the look of fear on my mom's face and my sister's just kind of trying to understand what was going on. It's so interesting. I never really talk about this, so if I get worked up, it's because it's sometimes it's traumatic to think about. But like, I'm the kind of person that it brings me joy to bring joy to people's lives, making people smile, making them feel good. This is my love language and it has been since I was a kid. I never want to be the person who is adding stress to somebody's life or making them upset, or making them angry or cry. And it was so obvious that my family, after all of what we have been through separately, was now experiencing another trauma or tragedy and it was because of me. So I felt really guilty.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cry. That breaks my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah I was. I felt bad because.
Speaker 1: I I didn't want to add more stress to my family's lives.
Speaker 2: We had already been through so much.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about I had a brother passed away when he was three weeks old, and he passed before I was born, but I have like this crazy connection to him, and all I could think about was.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't want my mom to lose another kid.
Speaker 1: Sabrina, seeing your little sister that way in the hospital. What were your greatest fears and concerns at the time and what was being expressed by the family not in front of Samira.
Speaker 4: I think the unknown, right, like not knowing what this was, what treatment she needed, the effects of the treatment, how if it's going to be positive negative? Like you know, it was all trial and error. I think one of the things that happened to my older sister like asked the doctor is she going to be okay? And the doctor had no response. That's when it was like, okay, no response is not a good response.
Speaker 1: Within a few weeks, Samaira went from a healthy twenty four year old enjoying her life to rapidly losing her vision. Inflammation was spreading through her brain as doctors struggled to stabilize her. What are the doctors telling you at this moment.
Speaker 2: At that point, it was the first time I had heard the name of my diagnosis. So they told me that I was suspected to have neuromi lightest optica. They don't know why it happens. At the time, there was no approved therapy, so they would have to try different treatments. They told me that there was no cure and that it was very rare. And I had two questions for them as soon as I heard all of this, which was am I going to die from this? To which they answered they don't know. And I asked, did I do something to bring this on to myself? Because I couldn't make sense why it happened.
Speaker 1: I want to hug you. That's so much. Neuromylitis optica spectrum disorder or NMSD is an extremely rare disease. However, doctor Michael Levy and the system Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School and neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital specializes in treating it. Now, if you had to, not necessarily in a nutshell, but in Layman's terms, could you give me a definition for an MOOSD.
Speaker 3: There's an immune response against a self protein called the aquaporn four. Your immune system is not supposed to react to it, but in people with NMO it does, and specifically to the acoporn four protein within the spinal cord and the optic nerve, and when it attacks the optic nerves and the spinal cord, it leads to blindness and paralysis.
Speaker 1: As doctor Leevy further explains NMOSD is most commonly found in women, particularly those of Asian or African ancestry. While its development is not well understood, genetics are believed to play a role. Although Samayra tested negative for NMSD antibodies, her clinical diagnosis was based on her full symptomatic picture and medical history, including the severity and frequency of her flare ups. What are some other common symptoms or maybe early indicators that that's the progression.
Speaker 3: There are a few early indicators if the immune system attacks the optic nerve. One of the first signs is pain with eye movements. It feels like every time you move your eyes up or down or left or right, it hurts, and so people just want to look straight or just keep their eyes closed. And then that evolves fairly quickly over hours to days into a gray spot over some part of your vision, usually in one eye, but sometimes both eyes, and then that evolves to near complete vision loss over about a week or two. So that's the typical course for an attack in the optic nerve. If it attacks the spinal cord, the typical progression is either weakness in an arm or leg or both, or numbness in the same distribution, and usually pain pain feels like abanding, wrapping pain around your abdomen. And then it's also usually associated with bowel and bladder dysfunction retention, so things don't come out like they should. When I first started working in this space, the average time from onset to diagnosis was over three years. Now it's under nine months. Wow, So it's not great now, But I would say we've made a lot of progress because we have a blood test.
Speaker 1: How do you support your patience in managing the anxiety and the depression and the fear that must come with receiving the diagnosis.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm always honest with people. I tell them that in my clinic, twenty three percent of people are in wheelchairs, sixty percent are blind in at least one eye, who have the alkal porn fo antibody they are I can't lie to them and say, oh, it'll be okay. And it used to be that thirty percent of our patient population would die of NMO within five years. That's no longer the case. The mortality has plummeted from thirty percent to nine percent. Room to improve, for sure, But I start with those grim figures. But then I tell them the good news about NMO, because there is one piece of good news about NMO, which is that if we start treatment and we can prevent future attacks, then they'll never be worse than they are today, really, because there's no degenerative disease process going on in the background, nothing like that. All of the disability is mediated by attacks. So if we could prevent attacks, we can prevent all future problems.
Speaker 1: Samaira was blindsided by all of this, but her immediate concern was the inflammation in her brain. Put on a regimen of treatments to contain it, she now faced the psychological toll as a new part of the balancing act.
Speaker 2: When I went home from the hospital, and of course everything changed. My dreams, my aspirations, my fears were now different. I was taking medicine now eighteen pills a day, I was getting chemotherapy, and uncertain of what my even the next six months were going to look like. And so I was in bed rest, just trying to relax and recover and make sense of all of what had happened. And I thought to myself, Man, even under these circumstances, I'm still so lucky, hie. I'm in the United States. I'm in Massachusetts. I'm in Boston, which is like a medical mecca in this country in the world.
Speaker 1: So just tell me what your symptoms. Because you get a diagnosis and you're getting treatment, but that doesn't mean it's cured or it's gone. How did your symptoms progress.
Speaker 2: The vision was very in and out, kind of dependent on the day, so I definitely struggled with vision loss most chronically for the first few years, but also just like feeling nerve pain and burning sensations in my body to the point where I felt totally debilitated. And for someone who is so expressive with their body, it was really I felt like I was a prisoner in my own body. I also lost a bit of hearing in my right ear when all of this happened, so that sense was also affected. Because of all these medications I was on, I couldn't taste food the way I wanted to taste food, so in a way, all of my senses were affected by this. And to make matters even more complicated, I don't test positive for the antibody that is associated with my disease. Thirty percent of us actually don't test positive. So what that meant for me was Okay, we've got this like working diagnosis, but let's check you for everything else, just in case we've missed something. On top of that, I had relapsed three times in the first you know, six months, So just like in and out of hospitals, getting aggressive treatments and interventions, but also looking for a potential other diagnosis, then becoming sterile from you know, my medications, and being told at twenty five that you may never be able to have children. So if you want to even consider it, freeze your eggs.
Speaker 4: Such a young age, freezing your eggs. It's like, Okay, we're being smart about this, you know, before the chema, before any other the drugs, but like it's also like okay, wow, So again, everything was just so confusing.
Speaker 2: It was just crazy. I mean, I was going through treatment after treatment for this disease, taking oral medications every day, now, harvesting my eggs, feeling so uncomfortable in my body, looking for a diagnosis, relapsing after relapsing.
Speaker 1: You must have been so exhausted, though, just emotionally, spiritually, physically, mentally exhausted from the full time burden of everything you were feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was, I basically became a professional patient. I was exhausted, but I didn't have time to think about how exhausted I was. I just kept going and going and going and going. In fact, having free time made me feel uncomfortable because that's when I had the time to think about what was going on with me, and I avoided it like the plague. So I almost made myself busy on purpose to avoid understanding the gravity of what was going on.
Speaker 1: Sabrina, as her sister, how did you support her in that moment? Because the initial information and description that comes with a diagnosis is not good.
Speaker 4: So I'll be quite frank. My whole entire family is very emotional, and I think that just added more stress to her. So it's more like being a support system in the things like Okay, cry it out and go through your thoughts, but at the same time, you are still here so you're not.
Speaker 1: Hit it alone. Since Samaira continued to test negative for NMOSD antibodies, the doctors ran several tests to rule out other potential causes, including a pet scan to check for cancer.
Speaker 2: I think the darkest moment was is in this quest to find out what was going on with me, there was this idea that Samyra, you might have cancer actually, and I was like cancer, what do you mean? And they were like, no, no, no, this would actually be one of those situations where you'd rather have cancer.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with Symptomatic, a Medical Mystery Podcast. Now back to Symptomatic, a Medical Mystery Podcast. Samira's battle with a s elusive disease led to a rapid decline in her health. She lost over sixty percent of her vision in both eyes, prompting doctors to discover severe inflammation in her brain, affecting the optic nerve. Constantly in and out of the hospital and feeling like a burden to her family, Samirah carried enormous emotional weight. Though her suspected in MSD, none of the tests were conclusive. Nearing her breaking point, she desperately hoped the pet scan would come back positive for cancer, which would at least provide a clear way forward. But the results came back negative, sending her right back to square one.
Speaker 2: And any normal person would be elated by this news such a relief, But I collapsed in every which way because I just couldn't believe that this was my life. Number one, I was praying for cancer. That's unheard of. And number two, I'm now devastated that I don't have cancer because it means that I'm stuck with this horrible diagnosis. And I lost it. I totally lost it. That's when I went to my doctor's and I said, enough is enough. I have been through this every day, every hour a week or asleep for the last eight nine months. I need a break. I can't do this anymore. And so I planned a trip to all of the places that make me super happy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm going to go to Dubai, I'm going to go to Bombay where I had these amazing memories from being an actress. I'm going to go to my country, Bangladesh. And I planned it with the blessings of my doctor. They were not happy about it, but they understood that I needed this spiritually, emotionally, psychologically.
Speaker 1: When she came up with the idea to go on this healing quest, yeah I was so against it. All right, take me to what her argument was for it and your argument against it.
Speaker 4: Her argument was, again it's a healing quest, that it was the stress of life that was getting to her. My argument is, like God remain me happens, what are you going to do? And she's like, well, there's doctors out there, but it's like you have like a specialty doctor that you need, Like it's doesn't make any sense. But she bucked it, and then the universe said otherwise.
Speaker 2: The night before I was supposed to leave for my trip, I was informed that my white blood cell count was so low because of the chemo that I had been undergoing, that if I even caught a cold or got something like diarrhea, like ninety five percent chance I would die. And so they basically said me going it would be going against medical advice, and that I needed to sign all these papers and they were like begging me not to go, and so I had to cancel my trip. And on top of that, I had a relapse, so I was instead of getting on a plane to go to all these places I wanted to go to, I was in a hospital getting treatment. And when I came home, I said, I don't want to live like this anymore. I don't want to live this kind of life anymore. Looked into places that did euthanasia around the world, and before I committed to anything, I thought about my mom and all the loss that she experienced in her life, and what this would do to her, what this would do to my sister and people who looked.
Speaker 1: Up to me at that point desperate for some kind of relief, so my returned to a spiritual healer in Boston for guidance on navigating the mental toll of her disease.
Speaker 2: And he told me something that was so simple but stuck with me, and to this day I still remember it. He told me that sometimes things have to get so bad before they get better. And I really took that to heart. And the next day I was crowned Miss Bangladesh, USA twenty fifty.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: You can't make this stuff up. If so mental, that is incredible.
Speaker 1: A bit of guidance and then some well deserved recognition from the virtual competition. That little boost of optimism and clarity reignited Samaira's motivation to continue searching for answers. After testing negative for cancer, she embraced her clinical diagnosis of NMOSD and realized she needed to assemble a team of doctors to help her manage symptoms, including one of the foremost nmost experts in the country, doctor Leevy do you remember meeting her initially and where she was in terms of her health path.
Speaker 3: I met her at a visit when I came to Boston for what's called a patient Day, which is where we host fifteen twenty twenty five people in a small room with just a few speakers on a weekend, just to get everybody in the same room, get them networking, talking to each other. We give a few lectures, but really the point is to get everyone talking to each other.
Speaker 2: He was invited as sort of the guest speaker from Hopkins. He was at Hopkins at the time, and of course I was starstruck. I mean, this is one of the guys in nmost He had done so much in the way of research and clinical care and even support. I met him and I just hugged him. All I said was thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for caring so much about these diseases. He was a hero to me, to all of us. I can speak on behalf of every patient in our community Animosti in Mogat, doctor Levy is our hero.
Speaker 3: When people introduce themselves as Sarah negative and mo there's always a little tinge of my doctor doesn't know exactly what's going on. But now I'm in this tent. I'm under this tent because I have NMO, and although I didn't test positive for it, I have nowhere else to go, and you guys are going to help me figure this out. That's how she presented herself as.
Speaker 2: Symptoms would arise and they'd be like, Okay, let's find somebody who knows how to treat this. And over time I had a team of quite a few specialists, especially in the beginning years, you know, so that looked like neurologists, neuroophthalmologists, urologists, guynecologists like an IVF, fertility specialist, rheumatology, physical therapy, and last but certainly not least, a psychiatrist. I had to prioritize my mental health.
Speaker 1: Finally, with a supportive team of specialists, Samira began testing various immunosuppressive therapies and started biannual maintenance psytoscopies to address her ongoing bladder issues. Though the process was arduous due to the rarity of her disease, the holistic care eventually paid off. Over the next few years. Her eyesight returned, and her flare ups and hospitalizations became less frequent and less severe. She had more energy to restore normalcy and dedicate time to her foundation, which she started during the onset of her NMOSD symptoms.
Speaker 2: The Samaira Foundation, also known as TSF, is now ten years old. We are a global organization nonprofit organization dedicated to raising awareness of NMOST which is the disease I have, MOGAD, which is an adjacent disease, and other rare neuroimmune conditions. We're super passionate about building communities of support. We fund research fellowships, journal publications, and of course advocate on behalf of patients. My favorite part about our organization is that diversity is a big part of us. It's a superpower for us. We are truly patient led, patient powered, science driven, therapy, agnostic, and really just trying to do things differently.
Speaker 1: So ten years in, what is your life like?
Speaker 2: Beautiful? It's so bright, it's so colorful, it's so amazing. I feel like the luckiest person in the entire world. I can't believe this is my life sometimes, and it's so interesting because people who have known me forever and ever and ever will say, look, Samaira, you got the life that you ultimately wanted. You know, you get to wear beautiful clothes, travel the world, make people happy, have a platform.
Speaker 4: I think every successful event that she does where it includes patients is great. It's overwhelmingly nice to see because these patients look to her. I was like, she sees us right, like how you said, Doctor Leevy made her feel seen. That's how she makes others feel seen who have this.
Speaker 1: Can is You've changed so many lives because when I think of you at the age of twenty five being told you better hope it's cancer, because cancer has the research and the funding, there's the attention on it, so it's better than this incredibly rare condition. But you've altered that. How much to date have you raised for research?
Speaker 2: In the last ten years, we've raised about five million dollars. A million has gone directly towards research, and a lot of the other funds have gone towards organizing patient days. We've done these now in three different countries, twelve different cities, also different patient programming. I'm very passionate about knowledge being a source of power for patients and it being an empowerment tool. So we invest a lot in patient education, webinars, podcasts, patient stories.
Speaker 1: So yeah, while NMOSD can often be devastating for patients, the work Samira is leading with the Foundation, along with the ongoing research worldwide, gives doctor Levy optimism about future outcomes for the condition. If you were to wave a magic wand and you had unlimited funds, where would you put them right now? In terms of research and why?
Speaker 3: I think the most exciting air of research now is to try to I don't want to put too much emphasis on the C word cure, but I really do believe that we're at the point scientifically that we can think about how to turn the immune system off to this one protein acuporn four. When the disease started, the immune system turned on and was told that acaporn four is bad. And now we have a lot more technology and understanding of how that process started that we're able to in mouse models turn that immune reaction off just to aquaborne for wow. So I think that that's the most exciting area of research. That's where I would put my money because you can imagine a patient comes in right now, I tell them, yes, we have great drugs, but you have to be on them for life. We have to suppress your immune system to some degree or another for the rest of your life. But if I could tell them, look, we know what turned your immune system on, and now we have this treatment that's just going to turn it right off again, and then you don't need to take immune suppressant medications for the rest of your life, that would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Are you cautiously optimistic that the C word cure is on the horizon within your lifetime?
Speaker 3: Within my lifetime, yes, I wouldn't make promises about five even ten years, but I think in the future, yes, it's going to be a real thing.
Speaker 1: And what would you hope people take away from Samira's story.
Speaker 4: I think that it's a its story in the sense that it has its trials and tribulation, right, everything was not peachy and perfect, and that she still pushed through, both personally and professionally to get to a place where there's inclusivity and openness about understanding not just her rare disease, but there are so many other rare illnesses and conditions that haven't been spoken about. So it just allowed them to break open a door for people who thought they were lost and had no way of connecting and give them that platform.
Speaker 2: You really never know how life is going to turn out, and so just keep going, keep going, even when times are so hard, because the other side may be completely different, of course, but it could be so much better than what you imagined or what you wanted for yourself. And I say this at every pacey I organize that truly, we cannot let our diseases and our diagnoses define us, or consume us or limit us. There's so many other aspects to our lives than the diseases that were afflicted with, and dreams and aspirations may change, but they may actually end up being far greater. Lean in on your community, lean in on those who love you and who you love. You're never burdening people. I had to learn that for myself. It took so long for me to learn that. But we have to go through things together. This life is too crazy to deal with these things alone.
Speaker 1: If you want to learn more about NMOSD, you can visit the Samyra Foundation website at Samirafoundation dot org. And if you know someone who might benefit from the information in this episode, we encourage you to please share it.
Speaker 2: My name is Samayrah Ahmed. I am the founder and executive director of the Samaira Foundation, and over the last ten years, I have been living with a rare autoimmune disease called neuromylitis optica spectrum disorder, also known as NMOSD.
Speaker 1: On next week's episode of Symptomatic, tune in for a brand new episode of Symptomatic house calls. This time, we're checking in with Lauren from case number sixteen. If you haven't listened to this episode, we highly recommend you do so. Prior, Lauren began experiencing severe pain that could not be explained away by her professional dancing career. Her body was slowly betraying her. The movements that were once effortless soon became nearly impossible. After fifteen years of searching for relief, Lauren was finally diagnosed with soriatic arthritis. Join us as we check in with Lauren, looking back at everything she sacrificed on her way to re establishing her life and gaining back control. As always, we would love to hear from you. Send us your thoughts on this episode or share a medical mystery of your own at Symptomatic at iHeartMedia dot com, and please rate and review Symptomatic wherever you get your podcasts. We'll see you next time. Until then, be well. Symptomatic is a production of Ruby Studio from iHeartMedia. Our show is hosted by me Lauren breg Pacheco. Executive producers are Matt Romano and myself. Our EP of Post Production is James Foster. Our Supervising Producer is Cierra Kaiser. Our writers are John Erwin and Diana Davis, and our editor is Cierra Spreen.