Speaker 1: I'm t T and I'm Zakiyah and this is Dope Labs. Welcome to Dope Labs, a weekly podcast that mixes hardcore science with pop culture and a healthy dose of friendship. Me and you have had a lot of hair adventures together. Yes we have, Okay, okay, so like from cutting our own hair, we both did that. I remember the last time I cut my own hair. I facetimed you and was like, I'm about to cut my hair. Watch. Yes, it looked good. I remember you cut my hair. Oh my gosh. We were doing things that really could just be described as edgy. Yes, I mean, in the beginning of our friendship, we were putting a lot of stuff on our hair. I have to admit that I was giving some not so awesome. You were driving advice, you had me. I was making pastries and then you were talking about greenhousing, putting a bag on there from my head, yes, growing mold on our scalps. It was a tough time, but it was a sign of the times because we were all on YouTube just taking advice from anybody, anyone. It felt like they were experts, but really they just had a YouTube channel. But my bad for all of them, I trusted your tt I trusted you. All this thinking about hair, where we've come from, what we're still doing and is questionable.
Speaker 2: You know, we're doing all this stuff just to get healthy hair right, and that feels like a great topic.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that. So let's jump into the recitation. Let's start with what we know. Okay, So we know that the haircare industry has their hands deep down in our pockets. Oh, that's what we know. I know that they're making a lot of money, and it feels like every five to ten business days there's a new product claiming that it's going to revolutionize our lives. And we've never seen anything so good, and my bank account feels it.
Speaker 2: I said, you're trying to many things. You're trying too many things. But I think we've also seen hair go through this like scientification process. I don't know if that's really the word I'm looking for, but where we see people understanding that all hair is not created equal and there's different you know, curl types, porosity, texture. So I feel like we know hair is different from one person to the next.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, my friend Zakia can literally shave her head in January and have hair down her back by March. Okay, bust out. Okay, this hair does grow back fast, it does. And me, on the other hand, I'm babies in these twelve hairs that I got honey stock. I'm just taking care of my little children here.
Speaker 2: No, no, because I've seen the twist out and it's glorious.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've seen the washing and go. When you do that too, it has washed and left.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's no longer here. Well, what do we want to know aside from what happened to those hairs?
Speaker 1: Right? I'm not a biologist, you know, I'm an engineer, So I want to know the biology breakdown of hair, Like what is it made of? People say it's dead cells, but then they're like, cut off your dead ends. I'm like, is it doubly dead?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How can both these things be true at the same time. I don't know. I think I want to understand, Like I understand the biology, but I want to understand the chemistry of like what are we putting on our hair? What can help it be healthy if it is dead? What should we be thinking about when I'm standing in Alta looking at all the different products Because me, I'm a sucker for design I'm like, what does a bottle look like? Okay, but aesthetics, but I need.
Speaker 2: To know functional, what's happening in these bottles and what do I need to have on my hair?
Speaker 1: Well. I also want to know more about hair technology and what we should be thinking about when we are using products and how it affects our hair in the long term and our bodies too. Yes, yes, that is such a good point. I think that's a great place for us to jump right into the dissection. Yes, and this is another really special lab for us because we have it with one of our longtime friends, doctor Sicily shilling Ford.
Speaker 3: I am doctor Cicely shilling Forward. I'm the Associate vice president of Product Development, Innovation and Regulatory at Amica. We are a global prestige haircare company that makes hair products for all hair types and textures. You can find us sets of Foura on Amazon if you are a cosmetologist at cosmoprof and salon Centric. You can follow me on Instagram at Cicely shilling Ford or on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: I think we want to just set the stage, you know.
Speaker 2: I think people are always used in the term healthy here, good here, and they all mean different things. But we want you to walk us through what's actually happening on a healthy scalp, like at the microscopic level, so we can all get on the same page. I think sometimes people think it's too early, it's too dry, it should be slicked down. I'm like, none of that probably has anything to do well, at least not the edge just part with a healthy scalp.
Speaker 1: But we'll have you orient us first.
Speaker 3: I think, first of all, health can be a little bit subjective, obviously in a lot of ways. So what might feel healthy to someone might not be exactly healthy to somebody else. But I think there's some basic things that like are probably pretty obvious, Like a healthy scalp is a clean scalp.
Speaker 4: We can start there.
Speaker 3: You know, one that's free of product build up, that's not caked in conditioning agents and oils and.
Speaker 4: All that stuff.
Speaker 3: A healthy scalp is also going to be a scalp that is balanced. And I know we got some micro biologists up in here. Your scalp has its own microbiome. As both of you probably know, throughout your body, you have different micro environments everywhere, and the scalp is its own unique micro environment, and that means you want certain organisms that are there, and you want certain organisms that are not there, and you want to maintain that balance. And that balance might be different for different people, and that's totally okay. You have super thick, dense hair. I mean, those bacteria they love hanging out in there. It's like the Amazon rainforest, so there's moisture oil and they have everything they need to drive. So that means you have to treat your scalp differently depending on your hair type. Hair that's clean hair that has a robust barrier that can protect it from the external environment and from external stressors. But in general, you want your hair to be protected because we're exposed to sun pollution, and healthy hair has that protective barrier, so that's what's going to keep it healthy as well. And then the healthy hair is also strong. It's robust, it's able to resist breakage and can be stretched and maintain its elasticity without breaking easily.
Speaker 1: First of all, I hear about here all the time, but nobody's getting into the nitty gritty.
Speaker 3: So we have hair follicles all of our scalp, right, And I like to describe the structure of the hair as akin to a scallion. So we've all seen a scallion. There's like a little white bulb at the bottom, there's the little dangly roots hanging off, and then you have like these layers of green, concentric kind of things coming out, and it's the shaft of the hair as well, right, And if when scallions grow, they're under a layer of soil and the bulb is under the layer of soil, it literally looks just like a hair follicle. So picture that your soil is your skin, the roots of the scallion are your blood vessels, you know, all the nutrients that are being provided. And then the bulb is quite literally called your hair bulb. And so that hair bulb has multiple layers, similar to a scalion. Like you can peel back all the layers, and that first outer layer is called your outer root sheath, and that's going to contain a lot of the stem cells that differentiate into hair cells.
Speaker 1: Now, if you've listened to some of our previous episodes, you'll know that stem cells have important properties. They can make more cells like themselves, and they can make different types of seals, and that's called differentiation, So they can go on to be different types of sale, not just the one that they start out as they choose in.
Speaker 3: And then you have the inner root sheath, which is like one layer in and that's really what's surrounding kind of the base of the actual hair that's being formed. And at the very bottom of the inner root sheath, it encases the hair bulb. And within the hair bulb you have the dermal papilla. That part is the super important place in the inside the hair bulb. That is basically what's delivering all the nutrients to the growing hair. And that dermal pilla is made up of mesenchymal cells.
Speaker 1: So we just talked about stem cells, which can differentiate into lots of different types of cells. Mesenchymal stem cells are limited in that they can only differentiate into a few different types MMM. So they're being investigated for their role in hair regeneration and treatment of hair loss.
Speaker 4: That's where all.
Speaker 3: The like kind of blood vessels are like flowing all the nutrients in, and that's where the hair starts to form. And the hair honestly is like ninety percent keratin. That's predominantly what's forming inside of the hair follicle. And when you kind of like pluck a hair out, and like you see a little like white stuff at the bottom and right you're pulling out the hair follicle. You're kind of just like pulling out the keratin that hasn't really formed into the hair yet, and like the other gungkin nutrients.
Speaker 1: That's good. See you remember I had those lemonade brightes T T.
Speaker 2: And the little white bulbs were just dangling, okay, And I was like, these are follics, But those weren't follicles.
Speaker 1: Those were hair bulbs using the wrong warbles follicle as the whole.
Speaker 3: So what's left, So there's some other things happening in the hair follicle. You've got your sebaceous glands. Those are what produced your sebum and you're sweat.
Speaker 4: So what is sebum.
Speaker 3: It's the specific blend of oils and lipids that form both within the hair and actually on the outside of the hair. So you actually have two classes of lipids in your hair. You have endogenous lipids, these are the ones that go inside the core of the hair, and then you've got your exogynous slippets.
Speaker 4: Those are all the oils and.
Speaker 3: Fats that actually like coat the outside of the hair and sort of drip down the hair and keep your hair lubricated and moist and shiny. And those are formed in the hair follicle as well. And then you have you have your erector pili muscle, and that's a little muscle that like controlled you know, like when you get startled in your hair stands up. Yeah, that's your like your muscle. There's like a muscle in there, and it like makes the hair stand up.
Speaker 1: That hair is really working. And that was all just the follicle, right, keep going sistly. Let's move out of the root and into the shaft.
Speaker 3: So now we're on the green part of the scallion as it starts to grow out of the soil. And your hair shaft basically has three layers within the scallion. The innermost layer is called the medulla. And not all hair has this innermost layer. It's not often present if your hair is very thin. Often the thicker hairs have it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: Also, not all the hair on your body has this layer. Then the next layer outside the medulla is the cortex, and that's basically like your bundles of keratin that are in all these helical formations, so they're just bundled up nice and strong, and then the outer layer of the hair is called the cuticle. And the cuticle is made up of overlapping dead caratinocytes, which a caratinocyte is a keratin producing cell, and those cells sort of flatten themselves onto the hair shaft as it grows out of the skin. And that's the outer layer of the hair. It's the protective layer. It's like the skin on an onion. That is the first line of defense against aggressors. And that layer of hair also has a lipid layer. Now, mind you, hair is still about ninety percent keraten. It's mostly keratin, which is responsible for the strength of the mechanical properties. The lipids are responsible for that barrier. They're going to really keep the hair shiny smooth. And there are some main lipids on the hair. It has seramides. We also have fatty acids, cholesterols, and the most also important in your skin.
Speaker 1: This is making me think of when TT used to make me make hair concoctions in grad school. And I don't know why she's that night. She doesn't understand hair now because she was giving out prescriptions. Hey, I was just I was on YouTube a lot and they was saying put eggs in your hair, put mayonnaise in your hair, put everything in your hair. So I just was dumping my entire fridge into my hair and was telling my friend to do the same thing.
Speaker 4: And how did that work out for you?
Speaker 1: You know, that's a good question. As I sit here with my six hairs. You know there were there were mistakes made, but we're learning from you.
Speaker 4: So but you know, all the aunties still be doing that.
Speaker 3: You know, they're mixing and they're kitching their shades and their coconut oils, and you know, to.
Speaker 4: Each their own. Sometimes you gotta find what works for you.
Speaker 1: When I hear you saying this stuff, like when you mentioned cholestero, I was like, okay, I can think of these things. When I hear you sam rhapnocyites which are making keratin, I'm like, yes, I see all the things that stay with keratin or this has this and ceremonise. I see all of these terms, you know, and it feels.
Speaker 2: Like the beauty industry just picks up one puts it down, picks up another puts it down. And I don't know if you feel like this. First, My my grandmother was a hairdresser, Okay, so I was like, I didn't see any of these terms until much much later because it was a hot comb and blue magic.
Speaker 1: Grease that I grew up with.
Speaker 2: But there's just so much innovation in hair now. I think maybe hair is just getting a lot more weight, so people are looking for ways to.
Speaker 1: Do different things. T T. I'm getting ready to bring up something that I told you about, and you were a skeptic. What dry shampoo? Yes? I was like okay. She was like oh, because I was like, oh, my hair is so greasy. Just cut a bob and I was like, I don't want to wash my hair yet, but it's so greasy. And she was like, go pick up the Amika dry shampoo. I was like, dry shampoo is not for us, It's for someone else. She said no, and so I was like okay, fine. So I went and grabbed a small bottle and it has changed my life. Like on its face, I feel like I understand what's happening, but I really don't know what's happening because that Amika dry shampoo has changed the game for me.
Speaker 3: All dry shampoos are a mixture of starches or some sort of absorbent material. Some of them have silica Mika dry shampoos. We tend to use rice starch, tapioca starch, arrowroot starch. You'll see a few different ones across the collection, and it's one of our number one products. I mean, our dry shampoo, if I may be so bold us to say, is the best.
Speaker 4: It is so good.
Speaker 3: It is so good, And what you want to achieve with the dry shampoo is essentially the removal of like oil and moisture from the root and from the scalp.
Speaker 4: These starches.
Speaker 3: If you've ever thickened a soup, you'll know that the starches like to grab onto water and oils and that's how they operate as a thickener, and that's pretty much what's happening in your scalp. You put these absorbent materials on your scalp when it's starting to get oily, or before a workout, or even before you go to bed.
Speaker 4: Which is a hack.
Speaker 3: And as you start producing oils, it's going to latch onto those oils and you can basically brush them out of your hair, shake them out of your hair so that you don't get a build up of oil on the scalp. And this is beneficial for a lot of reasons, especially for black women who press their hair, this could be a very expensive process.
Speaker 4: It can take a long time.
Speaker 3: You don't want to be doing this every two days because it's expensive.
Speaker 4: You're in the chair for a while.
Speaker 3: Also because you're just applying heat to your hair over and over again, which can be damaging to the hair. So dry shampoo can elongate the time between styling your hair, which is overall like a pretty good thing for people who don't want to add heat to their hair every day.
Speaker 1: Who really did give us a heck? Okay, now I'm using dry shampoo after I'm like, oh, it's already gotten bad. But when you said before the gym and before ben because the way I'm sweating at the back of my neck needs to be studied. Okay, you talked about those glands, but it's not right back there.
Speaker 3: There's also a lot of things that like make dry shampoo specifically special. You know, we want to have the right particle size so it distributes nicely. It's propelled nicely out of a can, so you can really get it all up in your hair. Some starches like can be too gritty, you know, some don't observe enough, so it's just getting that formulation just right, and then you get a nice burst of fragrance.
Speaker 1: Yees, Pascal'll say, so.
Speaker 4: Your hair smells nice and fresh.
Speaker 1: And talking about cleaning your scalp. It really felt like over the last like fifteen or twenty years that now everything says salt fate free. Before then, no one was ever talking about it, and now everything it's like, is it saltfate free. I'm not gonna use it if it's not salt fate free. I feel like salt fate free is like a buzzword right now and has been for a little while. Can you talk about why there was a shift to salt fate free and what that means for washing your hair?
Speaker 3: A sulfate is a type of surfactant, and a surfactant is this word is actually a portmanteau, which is a treat.
Speaker 4: When I get to use the word portmanteau, it means three academics walk into a room.
Speaker 1: Somebody's gonna say port monteau. Okay, somebody port.
Speaker 3: So it means surfactant means surface active agent with surfactants. One part of it is water soluble and one part of it is oil soluble. And so when you put a surfactant in water, the oil soluble parts are like I didn't sign up for this, and they just form together into a group into a circle, and they put all their little oily bits in a circle together and kick out all the water, and then the water protects them. It's like it forms a barricade. And this is called a my cell. And if any of y'all have used my cellar waters, perhaps yes. My cellar waters are basically like very low levels of surfactin and an aqueous product and you use it as like a no rinse makeup remover. That's what the words what the word my cell means. So my cell's form and these my cells are basically able to grab onto all the oily bits and also dissolve all the watery bits, so it can clean stuff, so soaps, detergents, dishwashing detergent, all this stuff has my cell's hand wash. So sulfates just happen to be some of the stronger surfactants. Every survactant lives somewhere on this gradient. Some people don't like strong cleansers because they can be stripping right. However, it's it's very nuanced. Sulfates can be strong. They can also not be that strong because sulfates are a broad class of potentials or factors. It really just depends on the structure of the molecules. So when we say, like all selfates are bad, no, don't be silly.
Speaker 4: Molecules are diverse.
Speaker 3: However, in the cosmetic space and the beauty space, certain molecules tend to just get a bad reputation. You're looking at any ingredient list and you're standing in the row at Target trying to figure out your business. You don't have time to be reading somebody's.
Speaker 4: Thesis on solvate.
Speaker 3: So right, yeah, you know, it's a little easier for consumer to be like, okay, solfates, I heard the bad I'm not going to buy them and make that decision for them. Doesn't necessarily mean the formula is super stripping. It could actually be if you put one little drop of sulfate in the ocean, it's a sulfated ocean, but it's not going to be a strong shampoo. Hair is also very emotional. You know, the whole experience of styling your hair and it is your hair braking and hair loss is very emotional. So purchasing products is emotional. As well, and things are expensive, so we want people to feel good about what they're buying, which means in some parts like meeting them where they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we want them to be informed like you just informed everybody that's listening to Dope Labs. Basically, if you've been washing your hair and it's not it's still feeling greasy, it's still feeling whatever. Maybe you need more sulfate.
Speaker 3: You gotta do what's right for you. Yeah, And sometimes you might really need a deep cleanse. Like it's a hot summer day, you've been at the beach, you have twenty five layers of dry shampoo up and there.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about, which I just posted about yesterday. My hairstylist is an Amica Girley, but she was telling me the same way that you talked.
Speaker 2: About how the dry shampoo worked. She was telling me about this anti humidity spray. Because I'm in Atlanta and the girls are wearing you know, bust down part in the middle thirty inches. Now, that's okay if that's a quick weave or sewing or something, right, But when it's your hair and you hit that humidity and my cuticle begins to swell as you said, and from point A to point now, when I do it, my hair is poofy. But when she does it and I go out, it could be drizzling. I could just put a little paper up and I'm okay. And I was like, what are you using?
Speaker 1: And so she sent me this picture like this is what you need, and it was the Mica anti humidity spray. The shield.
Speaker 4: The shield. The shield is so good. She really is that girl. She is shielding your hair from humidity.
Speaker 3: So we we actually just launched a new anti frize humidity product.
Speaker 4: So how does the shield work?
Speaker 3: And so both products they work similarly, but they're different formats for different use cases, but you can also use them together. So the shield essentially has technology in there that when you spray it onto your hair. I would spray it on when it's like almost dryer dry style to finish it and lock it in when you're doing your last couple presses with the flat iron, because it's got this technology that is going to crosslink once you apply heat to it and form what's essentially like a bit of a plasticized layer on the surface of your hair that provides like an umbrella for shield. Yes, and then we took this to the next level with our newest product, which is more of a leven. So you put it on when your hair is damp, and you can use them both at the same time. You put on when your hair is damp. It has these next generations silicone polymers in there that have multiple blocks on them for different reasons. You've got silicone blocks that basically provide softness to the hair. You've got a cross linking block that when you apply heat, these polymers basically stick to each other. They cross link and they form a flexible film on the hair. And when you form this film on the hair and you heat treat it into the hair, you're basically creating a layer on the surface of the cuticle that's going to prevent humidity from getting into the hair.
Speaker 1: No weapon formed against me, no weapon. This is actually the weapon. As soon as as a kid tells me to get something, I get it. And so I am using all those things, and my shield spray is on the web. TT is using a lot of product in general. I use a lot of product in general all the time for everything, and I'm just I really need to dial some of this stuff back.
Speaker 2: I think what we've learned is that not every product works for everybody, And so I would love for you to talk a little bit about what you're gonna find working for different people, like porosity, pH texture, Like you just said, like if you have curly hair, you're gonna want more conditioner to reduce that strain that's already inherent in that curl pattern. So I think you just want to help people understand, like what might work for this general class or this general feature, what kind of products might work for you versus others.
Speaker 3: Hair is so complex because when you think about skincare, it's kind of easier to work in product development. Everybody has the same goals clear skin, no dark spots, no wrinkles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, with hair, everybody has different goals and everybody has different starting points, which means there's so many concoctions and things you can do and routines and what you might want your hair to look like on Monday might be different than on Tuesday, and say there'sday Friday. It's always changing.
Speaker 1: You might want to serve in different personalities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's also kind of the beauty of afrotectured hair because there's so many possibilities you can be so many different people, and it's so versatile. I really like the way that Amika structures our products because they're by goals thereby objectives. So when you shop for our products, it's I want volume, I want detox, I want strength, repair, I will need hydration, I need more moisture, and you kind of shop based on the benefit that you're searching for, and that's kind of like one way to figure out what makes sense for you, what do you want your hair to do? And then styling it gets even more complicated.
Speaker 4: Is it straight? Is it this?
Speaker 3: Do I need humidity? What climate do I live? And it's if you all talk about needing the shield and anti frizz as a function of your environment, So you reach for those products that serve those specific needs. So there's no right and wrong product for people. I really think it's based off of what does.
Speaker 4: Your hair need?
Speaker 3: What are your goals? What do you want to do with your hair? And then the second layer of it is like what is the condition of your hair? And that's going to also help you choose. So I have very thin, fine, very porous hair, and when your hair is porous, that basically means have bigger gaps in your cuticle. That could be one reason. It could also be porous because it's been damaged by bleach or by pollution or by sheets that m Yeah, because we got free radicals up in here. I live in New York City. We got sun damage. We have free radicals getting in there and damage and all the caratan and all that kind of stuff. So your hair ages as well because you know of the environment. A lot of how your hair shows up is just the techniques you use to style it, especially as someone who wears my hair naturally curly, like pretty much one hundred percent of the time. So you could have really super super fine hair and you don't want to weigh it down, so you want to look for products that are going to not weigh the hair down. Or My sister, on the other hand, has very low porosity hair. I have high perosity hair, which means that if you put a lightweight gel on her hair, it's just like, nope, not today. It just rolls right off into the garbage. It does not staying on the hair because her hair is so like the lipid coating on the surface of her hair and the primary lipid on the surface of your hair by the way is called eighteen MEA. That's eighteen methyl like heisenoic acid that lipid layers. For some people is just it's just stuck on there. It's happy, it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: We have a mutual friend Britney. She will put that edge control, that hair will lay down. They'll let jail and swoop. I don't like skin.
Speaker 2: Yes, I had a silk press. She put that whatever she was using on her, that jail she was using. My hair curled right up at the root. I was like, too much moisture. I don't know what you did, but now swollen cuticles.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I have a problem. Can you talk to us more about like hair technology that you see like coming down the pike, or hair technology that excites you that you want people to know about.
Speaker 3: I am really excited about some of the sustainability innovations.
Speaker 4: That's what gets me going personally.
Speaker 3: I would love to see a lot of the materials that we use in haircare us continuing to find regenerative sources of those materials that are.
Speaker 4: Going to continue to be fantastic for the Earth.
Speaker 3: Something I came across the other day that was really interesting was a company that's using photosynthesis to create materials. So they have this synthetic photosynthesis process that is a carbon capture process, So you use carbon and water as your feedstocks CO two and water and you're able to create ingredients via photosynthetic mechanisms by using these like bioengineered plants, so you can create a carbon negative ingredient for the cosmetics industry. Like, how amazing would that be? I think the company is called Arborea, So shout out to Arborea. Hopefully I represented your technology correctly because I saw it and I thought it was so cool. Something else that we're doing at a MICA, which is a partnership that will continue to roll out and chat about in the coming months and years, but we're working with a regenerative agriculture company that space in Africa, which regenerative agriculture essentially means that we're ensuring that the soil is regenerative, that the communities are regenerative, that the farmers are regenerative for generations to come. We're able to actually support local economies in various farms in Africa, and they are creating ingredients that are very common to the cosmetics industry and in dogens to the regions, such as shade butter and avocado oil and babbab oil. So we're working to actually integrate some of their materials into our supply chain, not just because we love shade butter and it's great for the hair, but because we want them to get into the US supply chain. We want to enable them to not just provide us with ingredients, but to provide other brands with ingredients. You'll hear people talking about biotech derived ingredients, which is like the new way we're describing kind of fermentation derived materials, and like fermentation has been happening since the beginning of time. People have been drinking wine for a very long time, but we've sort of rebranded it as biotech, which it is biotech, I mean ultimately, but really it's kind of engineered fermentation to tell a microorganism to produce a certain protein or a certain peptide. So examples of this are there's an interesting company called Both Threads. They're producing this bioengineered spider silk, which is like very cool, very interesting material for skin and hair.
Speaker 1: So put wine in your hair. I got it, Okay, So that's not what she's said.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can packet with some resveratrol.
Speaker 3: You polyphenols protect from those free radicals you know.
Speaker 1: Tit and I have seen you go from graduate student who now product development extraordinary in the haircare industry. And I think one of the things we love is for people to understand, like the day to day what you're using around you, there's science all in it, and so I'd love for you to talk a little bit about how you're leveraging some of the science you know in your role.
Speaker 3: I love to talk about science, and I do use science all the time. Understanding that hair is a material is very important in my role, and I actually started my career in material science and materials engineering creating surfaces that are super hydrophobic, meaning they can repel water and other complex liquids as well. And most of hair care, as we described with the Shield and our new Frisbee, not antiphrase hydrating treatment, is about making the hair hydrophobic and protected so that you can have shiny hair, softer hair, conditioned hair, hair that resists humidity. That's a pretty much the goal of a lot of styling products. So my career in material science has been really helpful in my understanding of hair care. It's very related and I am my PhD. I studied colloid chemistry, surfactants, the underlying mechanisms of how products are made. I mean we have to use emulsion chemistry all the time with product development, and by and large, I would say doing a PhD just helps me learn and understand science very quickly and like logically think through whether something is feasible. A lot of formula development product development, Like there's a lot of ideas and there's a lot of good ideas, and I mean all ideas are good ideas, but not all ideas like will abide by the laws of science, physics and chemistry. Product development's also about quality, you know, stability of products, all that stuff. It's it's helpful to have a technical background for sure.
Speaker 1: You can find us on X and Instagram at Dope Labs podcast dt is on X and Instagram at dr Underscore, t Shoe, and you can find Takiya at Z said so. Dope Labs is a production of Lamanada Media. Our senior supervising producer is Kristin Lapour and our associate producer is Isara Savez. Dope Labs is sound design, edited and mixed by James farber Lamanada Media's Vice President of Partnerships and Production is Jackie Danziger. Executive producer from iHeart Podcast is Katrina Norvil. Marketing lead is Alison Kanter. Original music composed and produced by Taka Yatsuzawa and Alex suji Ura, with additional music by Elijah Harvey. Dope Labs is executive produced by US T T Show, Dia and Kia Wattley.