Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Player's Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Newie.
Speaker 4: Scrugs Friday Friday. Friday Friday right here, Players Lounge, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. He is Heck Mayerson, Newy Scrugs, Barry Church. He's off hanging out doing his thing. But We've got you covered as we get you in that mood for Sunday Afternoon Football from Sunday Night. Last week's Sunday Afternoon at Jerry World. Cowboys searching for their first home victory this season and first victory in twenty twenty four. The Cowboys are zero to three at home in the year twenty twenty four and zero and two in the season of twenty twenty four. Heckma, here come the Lions with the Cowboys that beat six straight times and last year beat at Jerry World December thirty, when Jimmy Johnson went into the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 2: Great great Day, Great great Day.
Speaker 4: Much deserve and the Lions are three and one coming off a bye, So there are a lot of momentum things seemingly swimming towards the Lions right now, if you're the Cowboys, how do you take last week's seemingly swimming things going against you left and right? Not having Michael Parsons, not having Tank Lawrence, not having Brandon Cooks, not having Deron Bland, having Marshawn Neeland go out in the first quarter, having left tackle Tyler Geiton go out during the game, having Zach Martin have to leave the game to get an ivy. How do they bottle up last week's performance and bring it to this.
Speaker 5: Week's You are who you are? All right? This is what this game is going to have to be. What is your identity? Is a question that's going to be asked around the NFL about this game, especially about the Dallas Cowboys. And as you allude to that winning streak that they had at home, now it's going to a losing streak. The Cowboys had always been tough at home, especially over the last couple of years, and now somehow playoffs not included, newly not included. Now, yeah, exactly, And now it comes down to the two previous performances that you had at home, and those were not ideal. What it did was it exposed a lot of your awards, a lot of the things that you had going on that are really awful in your game plan. What has to be improved if you're going to bottle up anything from Pittsburgh and bring it to Arlington at and T Stadium, it has to be stopping the run. Literally, it has to be that. That is the part of you that I think that anybody that looked at those two games at home versus the Saints and also the Baltimore Ravens, your inability to stop the run really packed it that whole game and it really kept you out of the game or getting you giving you any momentum to win it. So, to me, the cast of characters that you're talking about that has to be there except for Michael Parsons in tank. Those guys have to play assignment, alignment, all the things that you're gonna hear from many talk shows, but just do your job. And that's exactly what they did when they went to Pittsburgh and they stopped that run. It's the same thing that they did when they played against New York and stopped that run. But look, man, let's quit all the four our thousand. When it comes down to it. Newly, they needed a tune up match. Okay, give me a Jerry Quarry, give me a give me a But was that Benita also before you saw both of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you give me, give me that.
Speaker 5: Fight before you marched me into Madison Square Garden to fight Joe Fraser.
Speaker 2: Okay, and we needed that.
Speaker 5: We know that those running games that we face, man, they packed a punch and in comes the lions that you know this running game does pack a punch, man, and you're gonna have to low up and sell out to stop the run against Detroit.
Speaker 4: Detroit sixth in the league when it comes to running the football, one hundred and fifty one a game is what they roll out. The other issue with them unless if they meet their number one fifty one, that's also going to mean time of possession.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys going to be in the world to hurt.
Speaker 4: And that's that's where to me when I go back and I look at these football games, and I gotta go ahead check out with my notes, say about what their time of possession went to because they won.
Speaker 5: It last thirty thirty thirty one something another. I mean they're averaging that per game.
Speaker 4: They won it last week in Pittsburgh, and that to me was talk about the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys. The Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They won the time of possession game last week against Pittsburgh. So if they could do that one more time, and that means they you need to run the ball themselves, but figure out a way to keep Detroit from mashing down on you.
Speaker 2: Then you got a shot.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's the average time of possession right now for the Cowboys opponents. Thirty one minutes and fifty two seconds. So your defense is on the field basically thirty two minutes.
Speaker 2: Ag game.
Speaker 4: That can't happen. It just can't not if you're trying to win. And then I go back and I look at last week, just checking my numbers. Here Cowboys at Pittsburgh. The Cowboys held the ball for thirty two minutes in twenty nine seconds. Yeah, it's you know, you took about twenty seven thirty I mean the end of the day, man, when you were giving up basically thirty two minutes and you out there for twenty seven minutes. That's madter. It doesn't seem like a lot. But that matters. That's one two drives that we're talking about here, that your defense is not on the football field. So that's why I'm all about the Cowboys trying to run the ball. Shorten what not Pittsburgh, but shorten what the Lions were able to do running the ball last week Pittsburgh. You look at running the ball, they were challenged. They only had ninety two yards and they averaged three point five a carry, but they had twenty six toes for ninety two yards. That's gonna be hard to do because Najie Harris in that Pittsburgh run game is not.
Speaker 2: On part of what the Lions are doing here.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so it may just be maybe you only allow the one hundred two hundred and three, but that's your onng point of what you got.
Speaker 2: You got to stop to run the.
Speaker 4: Blueprints out here, absolutely been out there, blueprints out here.
Speaker 2: You know what to do. Pittsburgh couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they try to, They try to, and it doesn't help that your quarterback was limited this week.
Speaker 2: The quarterback will not be limited.
Speaker 4: No, the quarterback will have better weapons around it, better run game, better tied in better, some mean, the whole thing is better offensively the lines. Heck, I just would not be surprised if the lines were playing on Super Sunday. When I think about just what they have right now to represent the NFC, which is pretty wide open. I mean when you think about, well, who's who's technically the best team right now? Five and Old Minnesota in the NFC. Do I believe they'll go to the Super Bowl? No, not right now, not sold but ken alliance with what they have, being able to run the football, having some explosive weapons and some defense, Yeah, that can get you there.
Speaker 2: So to me, this is as a matchup.
Speaker 4: Even if the Cowboys don't win this game, the Cowboys are going to have faced in their last two games, in my opinion, two teams that could would not shock me if they were in the Super Bowl. Baltimore Detroit. That's not far fetched. They probably won't get there, but if they got there, I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a team also in Detroit. If you probably evaluated the film on them, this is a team that can embarrass you at home, not just beat you. Okay, their numbers as you go down the list of those stats, you know they own time of possession against teams that they play against. And they, oh, by the way, have two running backs that are probably in that top ten range in numbers in the NFL. What they do as far as touchdowns is what they do as far as rushes, what they do on first down, it's very impactful for them as a team. But as you you know, look when you talk to anyone around this building, any of the experts. So talk to Nate Newton, He'll tell you, man, that offensive line for the Detroit Lions is one that's probably the strength of their team. And undoubtedly the weakness on our team is our what the D line, and so those things when they collide, I think it's automatic for people to say, look, these things not just nullify themselves. But that's where the strength of you say, Detroit can put you in a situations where for four quarters they can easily have two hundred and fifty three hundred yards rushing in a game versus the Dallas Cowboys defense that hasn't seemed like they could stop anybody in those games, versus Baltimore and you know, versus the Saints. That's why I say, clearly you have to sell out over shown you have to sell out, Chauncey Golston, You have to sell out. This isn't this game where you could play hero ball, jump, jump around holes or do any of that. You have to be so disciplined in everything that you do in these last two games. Newly, that's where I've gotten hope from seeing Zim's defense rise to the occasion people have said in New York, what happened in New York? They did move the ball quite honestly, well on you, but Daniel Jones just couldn't finish the deal. But they stopped them last game versus the Steelers, you got the stop. You made that rushing attack for the Steelers. Look average. Now here's a team that's gonna come in that's gonna test you completely, and you can't say, oh, we're just gonna blank them, We're gonna shut them out one hundred percent. You have to say, look, they can't be this effective the number everyone's been saying, one hundred and twenty five yards. If you can limit them to one hundred and twenty five yards, oh, but the golf is going to have to find another aspect to that offense in order to keep them balance. He's got to throw the ball around, and I think that's where the Cowboy defense want to see him throwing it.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 4: There are two areas that concerned me about this Cowboys team in terms of trying to win this game. Number One, the turnover march for the year. They're minus one, right, tied for nineteenth in the league.
Speaker 2: Not good.
Speaker 4: They won last week despite losing the turnover battle.
Speaker 2: Three to one.
Speaker 6: That don't happen often in this especially on the road.
Speaker 2: On the road, you can't keep playing with fire like that. You just can't.
Speaker 4: So the Cowboys have got to protect the football, have to.
Speaker 2: We saw in that Green Bay game. The playoffs right again.
Speaker 4: You know, Dak, don't a pixe like. You can't do these kinds of things. If you want to beat a good team. Think you are on the same page. Detroit's a good football team. This is a good football team. Made the playoffs last year, made the NFCY Championship game line. This is a good football team. You cannot lose the turnover margin at home. Can't do that second thing, dude. The penalties, this is this is bad.
Speaker 2: Each week. It's not getting any better. Okay.
Speaker 4: Notes from last week penalties eleven for eighty seven this year in the league, penalty yards three hundred and thirty on forty three flags tied for third in the league. Hekma Detroit's fourteenth tied for fourteenth.
Speaker 2: And penalties.
Speaker 4: So you can't have that kind of margin out here. You can't turn the ball over and then shoot yourself in the foot. You can't have holding then we throw a pick or we fumble the football. You can't do that if you're trying to win a football game. So these are things and I know people point to the coaches and they give Mike McCarthy a lot of credit. When I talk to some guys with Super Bowl rings, they tell me, Nuie, this is all the players. The players have to be the ones to understand they can't lose the football.
Speaker 6: Because the coaches say, what, we don't coach What that was.
Speaker 2: Bill Parcels, Which I just felt like that one we just saying.
Speaker 5: I mean, but every coach is going to kind of lean to we don't coach penalties, and it's where it happens. I think that penalizes the Cowboys the most when they have that holding penalty. Guiden has this holding penalty down in the red zone. It backs them up. How many times over the years have the Cowboys been in scoring position and all of a sudden penalties started to take place. And this just hadn't happened on the McCarthy It happened to other previous administrations as well as well. Whether the Cowboys are penal like, I'm not even going to the stigma the referees, none of that. It's something that they have to stop if they want to play championship level football, if they want to be that team playing in the playoffs, they have to stop it. They have to because right now it's killing them. It's just like the turnovers.
Speaker 2: Right right, the penalty.
Speaker 4: So you can't be out here having first in fifteen or second and twenty.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 4: And then oh, by the way, let's go get the ball away on a fumble war interception. You can't beat good teams like that. So you get away with against the Giants. You can do that against the Giants last week. You got away with this kind of stuff in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Not this week.
Speaker 4: This week you got to lock in and focus because you're not good enough against this team.
Speaker 5: What does what does a win versus Detroit do for Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: See I'm the outlier on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, to me, last week solidified one more to me, last week solidified once again. This is a This is one of the better coaches in the if not elite, in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Top five, for sure, you are an outlived I mean, I'm just telling you right now with that state, that opening statement, you are an outlier of Newie shrugs.
Speaker 2: And you know it when you say that.
Speaker 4: Okay, So all right, give me your just top five coaches, not in order, just your top five.
Speaker 2: In the current league right now, right now.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm gonna go Shanahan, I'm gonna go Andy Reid, I'm gonna go McVeigh, I'm gonna go I'm missing somebody, but I'm just off the top.
Speaker 2: Tomlin. I'm gonna go Big.
Speaker 5: Mike Harball, Harbord. Yeah, I gotta throw Harball in now six. Yeah, Okay, you didn't put Sean Payne. I didn't say Sean Payne no intentionally.
Speaker 4: When I go in there and I look at this list of Mike is in there. This guy's fifteenth in the league all time when it comes to win.
Speaker 6: What you gotta say, Sean Payton my back.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying when you talk about just what he's been able to do. And I know this is on Dallas Cowboys dot Com, but.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna tell the truth.
Speaker 4: This is not an easy place to coach because you don't just get to coach. Thank you the owners having a press conference while you're having a press conference after the game, and more people show up to.
Speaker 2: Hear the owner than you.
Speaker 6: Interesting, it's Tuesday at eight thirty.
Speaker 2: You don't know what the owner's gonna.
Speaker 5: Say about who's healthy, who's not, who's playing, who's not, who's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, giving up the store right, tell everybody was up. So this is this is not a regular coaching job. This ain't Robert Sala who just had to deal with the crazy quarterback. You know, you gotta deal with what the owner's gonna say on his show. Then the son's got his show son out here giving away stuff. This is not an easy job. Then I got my star playing with a podcast. I don't know what he's gonna say. Then I got my safety one day saying something about the owner. Then we lose a playoff game, got the wide receiver, mama own social said something about the quarterback. Then I gotta go through the off season quarterback and I signed ADC receiver and I signed I've got to play it straight so I don't mess uping getting the owner mad at me because I'm up. I don't want the players get mad at me because I'm up, and I don't want to lose that.
Speaker 2: This is not an easy job.
Speaker 4: Michae Lombardy always does a really good job in talking about with the Cowboys, you have to deal with Jerry.
Speaker 2: Jerry is a part of the show.
Speaker 4: He's a you know, if you think about who's interviewed and who we talk to the most during the week, it's Dak Jerry, Micah McCarthy's down the line. This is not in Denver, Champagne. Do you know who owns Denver Broncos. I do not to Walmart to Walmart for you don't know? Yeah, you don't know. You okay, you have intimate knowledge of this team. It was because me and Joe Green is your your uncle the Hall of Famer? What's the last time when's the last time we heard the Rooneys on the radio show? Having TV interview? I hadn't seen him, I hadn't seen them. You might have seen him at an owners meet and give him a statement, but so so so when you were Mike McCarthy are dealing with that. It was one time, and I can't remember which one it was. It was a draft press conference. Chris Bean remind me it was when McCarthy was it was Jerry Steven McCarthy was up there. Nobody asked McCarthy something, and then finally just kind of joked.
Speaker 2: I don't even know why I'm here. It's the true.
Speaker 4: You guys could do this without me exactly because we really didn't want to ask.
Speaker 2: Him any draft questions. We know Jerry gonna do what you want to do.
Speaker 4: So when I think about what he's done, like last week against Pittsburgh, being down with so much winning that football game, I give that more points than the average fan does.
Speaker 2: Todd Archer VSPN and I. Todd and I've had good conversation.
Speaker 4: Sounds like, you know, hey, McCarthy didn't do anything more than what Jason Garrett did. He was brought in to take this team passed to the next level and he hasn't done yet. That's a black and white way of looking at it, But I also look at the contexts of it. What you have to do to be the head coach here. This is well, this is the equivalent of managing the New York Yankees when George Steinbrenner was a round and it's not easy. Steinbrenner went through folks. Steinbrenner said stuff. Joe Tory knew how to handle and he was excellent at it.
Speaker 6: But you know what Tory always had. He always had a stacked roster too.
Speaker 5: But when I watched, when I watched the job that Mike McCarthy is doing, and you know, I'm a vegan, so I'm one of those guys that I know the difference between a beanburger and a real burger. Okay, right now, right now, right now, Mike McCarthy is cooking with impossible meat.
Speaker 6: And he's still getting the job done.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I mean, you talk about the talent, you talk about the talent level, and there's so many people when they have opinions about the Dallas Cowboys, they don't respect the talent level of this roster. Ricefully slow, especially when you look around the NFL. But I think this win versus Detroit would definitely put people on notice, but also show you what Mike McCarthy is getting it done with he's also.
Speaker 2: The play caller.
Speaker 4: Last week they had to change the gameplay. They were getting the ball out quick. We hadn't seen the Cowboys played that kind of football game, and you needed Jalen Tobert out there with bad levels. They were broken, I don't know, broke according to Talent Smith, you know you needed that out there.
Speaker 2: You need it.
Speaker 4: Okay, they're going to double cd Lamb. How did you come up with a new game? Mike McCarthy did it. Mike McCarthy, in my opinion, has also not gotten enough credit for what happened last year when Mike McCarthy was like, Yo, Kellen morn needs to go, Jerry, I need this, give it to me Dak. The last year here with Kellen Moore, Dak led the league in picks. He who had Dak.
Speaker 2: Leading the league in touchdown No one nobody talks about that career year for Dack ceedee lamb career year. And I know losing to the Green.
Speaker 4: Bay Packers took away so much of that luster and shine. But your job, if you're a real fan, don't just look at the sizzle. Go dive into the stake and see what it is you're getting. If Mike McCarthy's not here next year. You need to get one, a leader of men who's able to lead the locker room. You don't see any dis engineer, Yeah, you don't. You need leadermen in the locker room, and you need a play call.
Speaker 5: And you're gonna have to have a guy that can get along with the front office too.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Who oh, by the way, can what the owners saying?
Speaker 4: Okay, let me let me go to the press conference and digest what he said.
Speaker 2: Because there's the press conference, then there's the walk off.
Speaker 6: You get the mean answers in the walk off, right, you.
Speaker 2: Get to you get to so what did you Did you really mean this? This?
Speaker 6: That?
Speaker 2: And you get a little deep.
Speaker 5: Okay, so to the uninitiated, what does that mean when they walk off?
Speaker 7: What is?
Speaker 2: Come on? Come on, we get the people in education.
Speaker 4: There is the press conference that we see on Dallas cowboy dot com. Put on your phone, check it out. And then when he's done, the media walks with Mike. They walk off with him. Recorders aren't going. There's no cameras allowed. All right, So heck you said that.
Speaker 2: Did you really mean this?
Speaker 4: You protected player there? But did they run the right play? What was that play designed to do. That's the walk off, and so that's where you get it. For instance, on media Mash, Clarence Hill came out and said, on the play, Rico daddle fumble, he ran, he ran the wrong way.
Speaker 6: And he got the answer where.
Speaker 2: I don't know it was in the walk off.
Speaker 4: But that's the kind of question you ask in the walk off, was that play run in the right Since your head coach doesn't want to stand up here in front of a podium and tell the whole world, yeah, dude, ran the wrong play. A lot of the coaches don't want to do that, but in a walk off situation where you're trying to understand the truth of what's happened, they'll give that to you because the players can give it to you and assistant code like that.
Speaker 2: Ain't that ain't no state secret.
Speaker 4: They were designed to go to the right, you cut back, left, jumped up there, boomball went out.
Speaker 2: So that's what you can get in the walk off.
Speaker 8: The OC basically said in his press conference, he didn't say he hit the wrong round. He goes he needs to slow down a little bit, and that's what he said. Okay, so how you protect the player.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's great.
Speaker 8: You know, when he gets the ball, he needs to slow down a little bit. He's going too.
Speaker 2: Fast and so.
Speaker 4: When shot, he says that, and if you get shoty in the walk off, so he ran the wrong way and then he'll probably just look at you like.
Speaker 2: Yes's what he did. And that's that's what the walk off is.
Speaker 4: So it's a way that you, the the media member, can get information and the coach can give you something without trying.
Speaker 2: You know, you're not trying. This is not what hey man, let's set everybody on fire.
Speaker 4: You're trying to have a better understanding about what's going on here and be informed about it.
Speaker 2: So that's what the walk off is for.
Speaker 4: Like, hey man, I don't want to put this out here because I don't want to make anybody. I'm not trying to put anybody on blast or give away state secrets. And she's going to give you a little bit of understanding about hey, here's something I'm worried about this there you know I have that, and and Mike has been gracious enough to do that to let you a little bit inside about what's going on. And your job and the media is not to abuse it and That's that's the key is hey, if he's going to give you and I'll say this, that's another thing I would miss about Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy being able.
Speaker 4: To help educate you at times, and so you have an understanding about what's going on here, so you can do your job a little bit better. When you get a coach will give you that kind of stuff. It's pretty fun. Now, Parcels wasn't a big walk off guy.
Speaker 2: You know what he would do.
Speaker 8: Remember what he would do, knew he he'd go, okay, no, shut them all off real quick. He'd tell me, everybody, shut everything off, make sure everything's not recording, and then he would tell you what the play is. Turn back on again. That's exactly what he would do, all right, shut him off, he'd tell it, and then he turn back on again.
Speaker 4: Right, And and that way said the coach who wants to I want to let you guys know, but I don't want to blast anyone. I don't want to put anyone out there. But but there's things that you want to know. I mean, and and honestly, this is what happens in political press conferences too. You know, there's the stuff they give you and then when you get.
Speaker 6: Hey, man, here's the real exactly, here's the real.
Speaker 4: Here's the real, and that's that's that's what it is about. When you're in this is public relations. So much of this job is public relations. And when Mike is up there, I remember Terry Francona talking about, Yeah, you know what the hardest part of the job was to know when I was lying to you guys basically every day.
Speaker 2: Garrett was great at the walk off.
Speaker 6: Actually that I was just gonna ask that he was great.
Speaker 8: He was not like Robot it even he was definitely really great at the walkoff. He tell you stories and all that kind of stuff is great.
Speaker 4: The one thing I that what I learned from Jason was what pay attention to what he didn't say. If he said something effusiveness and the walk off, you know, he'd give you stuff. It's like, okay, so when he's not giving you something pretty effusive about a player. But but Jay, you're very correct, and Jason was very good at the walk off. And get I remember whi ime I asked Aboutdak Prescott as a person, he just went on and on how great, how much he loved Dak you know, he is a DOC proponent, And it's kind of interesting because McCarthy is the same way about Dak. You know, they praised him for the man that he is and the leader that he is in the locker room, which is kind of interesting when you read social media. These people say all these crazy things about him, and I thought it was also kind of crazy that he had to basically go up all the way.
Speaker 2: Up to the first game to get his money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people will tell you this is the kind of guy that I want here as a coach. I want that guy here because hecky, you know, it's the toughest position.
Speaker 2: It's sports, Like, Hey, I need a dude I can trust.
Speaker 4: They trust that this guy will do what they need him to do and that they can put the plan in here and he's not gonna do ask Robert sala.
Speaker 5: Hey, we're going to figure out why Ezekiel elliott Is is dumbfounded about his role and how the wires got crossed on that.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break and I'll take you next.
Speaker 4: Right Aristocrat Game Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themeed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a Brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler. That's one eight hundred gambl for twenty one over.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 2: Prescott kitts.
Speaker 3: It slides with a first.
Speaker 7: Down, invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 9: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys EP.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year Go Cowboys to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 5: This segment is brought to you by Yetti, the official cooler and drinkwear of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Yes We've got our YETI cool. Come on, we will do that in this segment, but heck, let's let's deliver. We tease it, so let's deliver. You wanted to know about Ezekielly.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought it was it.
Speaker 5: I thought it was Clarence Hill broke it just basically talking about the interview at the locker with Ezekiel Elliott saying that he did have a conversation with the coaches and that he was dumbfounded by his role. And then Jerry came out in the news and said that they're saving Zeke. So I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, coach Jones came out and said that, But the coach of the team clearly showed you what he wanted to do. And yes, it is hard for Zeke to not understand because that's what they said.
Speaker 2: They brought him back for that, that's what they've talked of all that.
Speaker 4: But I go back into this and it's funny, said, heck, we had this conversation in the office, Yes, said I have with somebody. Rico o'donald was having the best game of any Cowboy running back this season. You get down here in the red zone. He earned the right for the carry. He did earn that right.
Speaker 6: He did.
Speaker 2: Now you bring in Zeke Elliott.
Speaker 4: Off the top of my head, how many toats did he have at that point in time?
Speaker 2: Six?
Speaker 6: Six?
Speaker 4: Okay six? And I can't tell you when the last tod he had was. I gotta check the game by game here. But if he goes in there and he fumbles, it's almost like last year with hudder limkey, Hey, what are we doing this for?
Speaker 2: Why are we going here?
Speaker 4: So when I just look in terms of just what someone's earned, you're here in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: It's a fifteen play drive.
Speaker 4: He's been a part of the drive here, we'll go take him out to put it in. Ezekiel Elliott. I can understand what Mike is doing there. I mean I can. It's one of those where I can understand the thought The thought process right there isn't crazy. I'm a dance with who brung me? You've been giving me a pretty right now. Twenty carries eighty seven yards four point four yard average.
Speaker 2: That's what he did.
Speaker 4: Yes, we know Ezekiel Ellis's reputation down there in the red zone and what he's been doing and picked up a couple of tough runs earlier in the game.
Speaker 2: But I didn't think that was crazy.
Speaker 4: Now, the crazy part or the part that which you could be upset about, or the claims so talked about, is how Rico Daddle did ran the wrong way?
Speaker 2: What Ezekiel Elliott runs the wrong way?
Speaker 4: Probably not so him being upset, him not liking what he's liking. Okay, Zeke's not happy with his role. Dalvin Cook ain't happy with his role. He can't even get on the active roster.
Speaker 2: Who's happy?
Speaker 5: But you know, just like everybody else, is not a bigger issue because Dak was able to get on that ball. But had that ball been lost, this would be a bigger issue, especially with him saying he's dumbfounded by his role and oh, by the way, we're down in the red zone, which you would have if you was in at and T Stadium everybody with ze you'd already know what the calls would be to get him into the end zone on that right.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, once again, at this juncture in the game.
Speaker 5: It makes sense, dance with who brought you. Rico was on fire at that point. He was giving you everything that you need, big runs, moving the chains, keeping the possession going.
Speaker 2: Rico Daldele earned it. You're not wrong on that.
Speaker 4: So I'll say this, okay, and maybe this is where some of the dumb founders comes in on this drive.
Speaker 2: On a third one of the Pittsburgh forty eight, Ezekiel.
Speaker 4: Elliott went up the right end for one yard first down, so he did play a part on that at a third and one.
Speaker 2: Then they went back to Rico Dawdle for the rest of that.
Speaker 4: Drive and so it was dabble right tackle Prescott in complete pass to Elliott. So Elliott we got back in the game. Then a pastor ferguson Prescott the lipke el boogie, yes, sir. Then it was first and four from first and goal from the four, and that's when the.
Speaker 2: That's when the fumble happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I look man for me, you know, knewie. I don't want to get second.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, second one from the one second one.
Speaker 5: Don't want to get comfortable yet with this running game. We we know that Rico. We saw that one game with Rico and he absolutely came through in the in the Pittsburgh game. But I still believe in this by committee approach with these two backs, I really do.
Speaker 6: I still believe in it.
Speaker 5: And if Rico and if Rico can exact his dominance in that running game and proved that he is RB one. I am all for turning this whole thing over to him and getting him as much help as we possibly can, because he is proven that he is that guy. I just in that moment right then, it was still all hands on deck. And you've seen coaches, other successful coaches, winning coaches do the same thing. Hey we're down here, come on out, We're gonna put our guy in there. We know that can get it done down here at the one. I mean, come on, it's not uncustomary to see that.
Speaker 4: And time will tell exactly what happens this week. If you're inside the five yard line again, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Do you go to Zeke or Elliott? What happens? What do you do?
Speaker 4: But he's you know, he's not happy with his role. But along the way, what is that telling you about Mike McCarthy thinks about him as play?
Speaker 5: Oh that's okay, okay, Then that's probably a part of the frustration from Zeke then.
Speaker 6: And if if you're Zeke, you've you've got to be a little frustrated.
Speaker 2: Well, don't listen to what Mike says. Looking at what he did.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, don't tell me exactly. That's gotta be frustrating. That got to be frustrating physique, it has to be cool, I mean, and nothing you can do about it. He can't put himself in the game. But I'm saying that has got to be frustrating for a guy that you know has played at a high level.
Speaker 6: That look, it's declining.
Speaker 4: And McCarthy doesn't. Clearly he doesn't think he's that same dude he used to be, despite giving the ball on a third and one that he picked up on that drive. So this is this is It's interesting when it happens again. Hopefully we see it on Sunday so we can therefore see exactly what is Mike McCarthy do.
Speaker 2: It's great. It is a I get you. You want the player to be mad because you want him to say, may give you the ball? You want to do that?
Speaker 6: So all right, I got it. Do you want if Zekeel I got another one?
Speaker 2: You don't want Ezekiel to say, hey man, cut the check.
Speaker 5: So I got I got another one for you. I got another question for you. What is the identity of the Dallas Cowboys to you? After five games? If they don't have one. Bad they don't have one. What is their identity outter five games?
Speaker 2: They gotta win games with their offense.
Speaker 4: Their offense has They have to be able to play some complimentary football. Uh, to beat a good team?
Speaker 6: Is that an idea? Is that an? Is that any to throw the ball?
Speaker 4: McCarthy is a guy. They are a throw first team. Okay, they throw first team, So they're they're a passing team that needs to get a complimentary running game so they can help the offense, which would help the defense by running the clock.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 4: They're a team and we talked about it before. Their front running team. They got a school. This is not a come from behind team. You get ahead. You get ahead on them early. I mean, look at the three home games that they've lost this year. Everybody got ahead up real quick and ran the ball on. So so their identity has to be between Dak Prescott playing really good football and and them establishing some type of run game, which last week maybe we've seen it. Because Pittsburgh's a good defense. That brings us into the YETI cool customer. Yeah, who has to be that guy that's cool ready to go under pressure to help the Cowboys against the lines who you got.
Speaker 5: Well, I asked a super Bowl champion in Black College Hall of Famer a question about you know YETI cool customer, and now I was having that question about he does the same, dude, right, But I was having a I had a question for him, you know, basically about you know who picking the Yetti cool customer in the whole nine and then the identity of the team.
Speaker 6: And so I.
Speaker 5: Answered the question with, this is a Dak Prescott led team. Okay, this is a Dak Prescott led team. And when you look at the wins that they've had, he is the guy that has been the reason for them pulling those victories out even when they had every chance to absolutely lose it. And so my Yetti cool customer no secret is Dak Prescott. And I feel like his ability to lead drives and also save this defense he has to be the difference also to save this defense versus Cleveland I'm excuse me, versus the Detroit Lions. Because you talked about time of possession, all of those things we have to get on the field. We have to have those sustaining drives, and we have to cap it off with scores. Nobody's talking about those red zone problems yet, but I promise you they're getting ready to rear their heads and Dak Prescott has to fix that. You can't come away with three points every time and have Brandon Aubrey kick these seventy yard field goals.
Speaker 4: Cowboys one for four in the red zone and one touchdown that got was with twenty seconds left to win the football game.
Speaker 2: And with you one hundred.
Speaker 4: Percent, the Cowboys cannot kick three field goals if they want to beat the Lions, They're going to have to find the red zone with frequency. The Lions average twenty six points a game, So that just tells you right there, the Cowboys, you need to at least find three touchdowns to be in the football game right just to be in it. My YETI cool customer is going to be left tackle Tyler Geiton a holding machine.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 4: You've got Ivory lt Aiden Hutchinson coming to town.
Speaker 2: We saw what happened last week. It was a rough day for young Geydon and Terrence Steel.
Speaker 4: By the way, yes, but I'm looking at Geyton because if I'm Aaron Glenn, it's real simple, hey man, let's go at this rookie. We're going to test him early and often. Let's see, are the Cowboys going to try and do the same quick, quick passing game one more time? How do we defend that? But you've got to go after him. Goyton got hurt last week, dealt with a knee. You got to to me, the cool customer is him because what did we see in game one against Cleveland rant and Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Ain't the greatest team in the world right now, but.
Speaker 4: We didn't hear his name a whole lot, and now people have film and so they're going after him. But to me, if Geyton can play a good football game, it makes it easier for Dak Prescott. Your run game may have a shot. But he's got he's got to be just can't have.
Speaker 2: All the holding calls.
Speaker 4: He's got to be better for this for this team. So that's why you need him to be the Yetti cool customer in my opinion.
Speaker 5: So YETI cool customer because you're afraid of what him being victimized?
Speaker 6: Are you?
Speaker 2: That is what I'm saying. It's more fear.
Speaker 5: You can't come on, come on, he tell the truth, and man, you're afraid right now?
Speaker 2: This is week TJ is one hundreds stop the game, handing the.
Speaker 4: Ball on the man whole stadiums out there, now, Yeah, I mean, dude, man, dude's trying to make Pro Bowl this week.
Speaker 2: Look, So that's why I asked you this. You know, you know it.
Speaker 5: I know looking at that time, they can't wait to see all the passion. Yes, but I got to ask you this though. Right now, he's a rookie. He's he's definitely getting exposed each and every week. But but knew he if he's seventy five eighty percent, do you play.
Speaker 2: Him to play?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, you know then why do you what what you You're saying this matter of factly, so you have some knowledge.
Speaker 4: Practice this week you're practicing that man going out there just letting you know, you know what.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 2: I think you're trying. You trying to talk yourself out of it.
Speaker 5: That's just Look, it's a it's one of those weeks versus one of those teams that presents so many problems. And when we've seen his snowball and go downhill for Tyler guid and it, it really gets ugly. And I just I don't want to I don't want a situation that his look, man, the challenge next week, the week after next, after San Francisco, you got to you got another challenge. So you're gonna always have another guy that's gonna be stepping up to the plate. That's gonna you got Matthew Judon after that. It's gonna always be a top tier guy in front of this guy. I just don't want to kill his confidence, man, And that confidence I think is just hold on, guy, don't go down.
Speaker 6: Don't go down.
Speaker 2: Don't go down. Down. Those phrasers take a break.
Speaker 4: We gotta pick games here coming up next time, man, the players er.
Speaker 2: Heck Maharris some new scrugs.
Speaker 4: This is dallaskotboys dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey Danny McCrae, here for Smoothie King.
Speaker 10: You know, every great workout deserves a great reward, so treat yourself right with new coconut smoothie bowls made with real fruit, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, creamy coconut and top with the chocolate, hazel nut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and the workout buddy, so you both can stay on track even after you leave the track. Scoop up new cocon met Smoothie Bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yettie's insulated Colster cankuler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concession Yetti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: To kick off the twenty twenty four NFL season, Boss teamed up with the Cowboys and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection. The Boss Cowboys collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Arriving just in time for the start of the season, the distinctive attire from the latest Boss Cowboys expansion offers sports officionados and true bosses. The chance to show their team spirit and style. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss Hugo Boss dot com and Boss retail stores hashtag beer Own Boss.
Speaker 13: Raising Caines presents the other rules of football.
Speaker 6: Rule one.
Speaker 13: Any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited.
Speaker 2: Rule twelve, no.
Speaker 13: Crinkle cutfries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Canes when it comes to winning game days. Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Cowboy Nation Dallas Cowboys ninety, presented by Globe Life, is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboy App. Join Official Fan Club today to receive access to all the new Cowboys drop features, team team news, pre sale access, and fan and kid of the game. Download the app now to join.
Speaker 2: All Right, heck Maharrison, it is time to pick some games here.
Speaker 4: Last night we picked San Francisco at Seattle.
Speaker 6: Yes we did.
Speaker 4: Barry Church took the Seahawks twenty four to seventeen wrong. You took the Seahawks twenty four to twenty wrong. I took the forty nine Ers twenty six to fourteen.
Speaker 2: Niners got it that you won't roll with Jeno Smith again.
Speaker 8: I bet we won't roll with him again.
Speaker 4: So and it's not just him, it's like, who are the Seahawks now? That used to be a team that ran the football, play defense.
Speaker 2: They do none of that.
Speaker 5: It makes no sense. And Geno makes no sense. Man, you got all those weapons and running game. It just and it's not all on him. But that was that was bad.
Speaker 4: That was bad on Thursday night football, Thanks NFL glad. I was watching baseball, man, I was watching baseball and hockey last night.
Speaker 2: All right, Detroit at Dallas be starting with that.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, let's just go to it right there, let's go to we up against the clock twenty six twenty the Lions. I'm going to maintain my sheet of integrity last week. I went off the sheet of integrity early to start the season. I said, Hey, Cowboys are gonna win at Pittsburgh. I went off that man believed in too many of the injuries. I was listening to Jason Garrett on on Football Night in America. He picked the Steelers. I shouldn't be listening to JG So going back to the sheeting integrity, Cowboys win, I mean Cowboys lose.
Speaker 2: Twenty six Cowboys lose. I know you got what Chris mean? What a man? What church you do?
Speaker 5: The church went Detroit thirty one, thirty one, twenty one Smoke show?
Speaker 2: Okay, what you got hit Dallas?
Speaker 6: What you know?
Speaker 5: What the shirt does? Sheet of integrity means something on this show, you know. But I'm not leaving.
Speaker 2: I'm not leaving. The show goes on.
Speaker 5: They gonna need a record ball to make me take the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 4: They're gonna need the national god to make me pick up.
Speaker 2: Come boy, Nason, up your team will let's go. That's okay. We've seen the kind of hay in the background.
Speaker 5: Score.
Speaker 2: What's the score? Dallas? What Dallas? I'm going to Dallas?
Speaker 6: Twenty eight, twenty eight, twenty four?
Speaker 2: You just made that up in your head? Okay?
Speaker 8: All right, all right, alright, alright?
Speaker 2: What else we got here? We go through this real quick.
Speaker 8: Jacksonville is playing against the Chicago Bears. Bears are favorite two and a half. They're playing that game in London.
Speaker 4: Let's go shy Town twenty one, Jacksonville twenty.
Speaker 5: Where are they playing it? I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, Chris London, London. Oh, I'm gonna get that one to Jville. I'm going Jacksonville seventeen to ten.
Speaker 8: What Church Chicago twenty one, fourteen twenty one? Next game, we got Tampa Bay at New Orleans. Tampa Bay is favored by three and a half. Church took Tampa Bay twenty eight fourteen.
Speaker 6: How are you going to.
Speaker 2: Tampa?
Speaker 4: Displaced this week because the hurricane, but a lot of the guys are talking about they wanted to win it for the city.
Speaker 2: Derek Carr, I don't think he's playing in this one.
Speaker 4: Tampa Bay owes us all one after that Thursday night letting him off the hook.
Speaker 2: So give me twenty seven to sixteen Tampa Big.
Speaker 5: Tell you what Spencer Ratler is taking over, and I think it's it's Rattler time and the new You know what New Orleans needs is I'm going I'm going Saints at home. I'm going with the Saints at home and I'll go twenty one seventeen.
Speaker 4: Twenty one, seventeen. You and I have not picked one together yet. Yeah, somebody's gonna win. Somebody's gonna love.
Speaker 8: Chargers at Denver, Chargers of favor by three. We got Churches, Chargers twenty four to twenty.
Speaker 4: Course, where you going give me the Bolts to win this one? Thirty seventeen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Chargers on this one, man, Chargers go, I go twenty to thirteen.
Speaker 8: Next game, we got Pittsburgh at Las Vegas. Las Vegas is favorite in this game by three. Church took Las Vegas seventeen fourteen.
Speaker 6: No, that's easy for one for me. I'm going with Vegas. I'm gonna go Vegas.
Speaker 2: I'll go low score.
Speaker 6: Let's go seventeen seventeen, ten.
Speaker 2: Seventeen ten, Church was seventeen fourteen.
Speaker 6: Let's ride.
Speaker 5: Russ is back, Baby, he is back, tall ru Okay, all right, all right, dunt white, let's ride.
Speaker 8: You're going with, Let's ride.
Speaker 2: Let's ride over less riding. Okay, let's ride sixteen thirteen. Let's right, Oh, let's ride.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: Cincinnati at the New York Football Giants. Cincinnat's favored by three and a half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going with Cincinnati, no brainer on this going to Cincinnati, I'll go twenty four thirteen.
Speaker 4: Cincinnati thirty Giants fourteen. No, this Cincinnati's defense is bad, so make it thirty to twenty four.
Speaker 8: Church was thirty one to twenty Cincy.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: In the last game we've got, I've got Buffalo at the New York Football Jets. Buffalo's favored by two and a half.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm going.
Speaker 5: I'm going Buffalo as a training wreck over there, I'll go twenty five, twenty five, twenty.
Speaker 2: What Church do?
Speaker 8: Church did this with a marguerite in his hand, apparently, New York Jets winning the game twenty four to seventeen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's definitely drunk.
Speaker 4: Give me Buffalo. No, Sala, don't like this one. Buffalo thirty two Jets nineteen.
Speaker 2: It's all I got. All right, I've already hit it.
Speaker 6: I already hit it, and you already said Cowboys win.
Speaker 2: So I'm good.
Speaker 4: You've got Dallas twenty eight to twenty four, Cowboy Nation winning. I've got the Lions twenty six twenty one.
Speaker 6: Shock the world.
Speaker 2: It shocked the world. It's hard to beat the good team. Yeah, the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys facing a good team, and I gotta see him do it against a good team. The Steelers are a nice team. We know the Lions are a good team. Heck Maherrison. Appreciate you man, Chris being Joshy Jazz, everybody who's been a part of it, and thank you for listening and watching and being a part of the players Loud by Aristocrat Gaming.
Speaker 2: We'll do it again with you next week right here on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 12: Ready.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.