Speaker 1: Failures make us learn, Failures make you stronger. Pain makes you stronger. Everyone in the world knows Arnold Fortnegger.
Speaker 2: Arnold Schwarzenegger has been an A lister and the other.
Speaker 1: One of the most famous ill beings on earth. For most from his wife.
Speaker 2: We've entered your mind. That's what it feels like.
Speaker 1: If you don't know where you want to go, who you want to be, You eventually just float around. Then do eventually crashed. I promise the people that they're number one, but I promised my wife that they're going to be number one, So this is dilemma.
Speaker 2: Before we jump into this episode, I'd like to invite you to join this community to hear more interviews that will help you become happier, healthier, and more healed. All I want you to do is click on the subscribe button. I love your support. It's incredible to see all your comments and we're just getting started. I can't wait to go on this journey with you. Thank you so much for subscribing. It means the world to me.
Speaker 1: The best selling author and the most the number one Healthy Well Inness.
Speaker 2: Podcast Purpose with Jay Shetty. Hey, everyone, welcome back to On Purpose, the Number one health podcast in the world. Thanks to each and every one of you that come back every week to listen, learn and grow. Now, today's guest, I mean, embodies health in so many ways, and I can't wait to dive into his mindset, his attitude, his routine, his history, and the journeys took to be here. It's someone who needs no introduction. Please welcome to on Purpose, Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is great to be here with you. I am so thankful that you've invited us into your space. It's fascinating to look around and be here with you, and thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Arnold. Absolutely, it's nice to have you here. I've been here in this office for the last thirty three years. Some of the fact that built the building in nineteen eighty four and then this property was there was a railroad going through here, and then first we leased it the property, and then the railroad company was willing to sell it, so we them bought it and build this building. And first it was kind of a commercial office building with insurance companies and banks and stuff like this in here. And then I decided that I want to move in here. In ninety ninety five years later and make it the entertainment building. Then Oliver Stone moved next door to me and the left when he come out of the elevator, because he's one left wing than I am, so he had to go to the left. I was my right wing, so I was going to the right, which is this office. And then Rainy Hallam came in here, and Geena Davis and Johnny Castle came in here, so everybody it was like totally like the hip entertainment kind of a building. And so we have enjoyed this building ever since, and it's just a great space. And I have kind of like moved a lot of men movie memorabilias here. You see an alligator here that is for me Eraser. You see bat from Batman and Robin me as mister Freeze, and this terminator from Terminator one and Terminator two, and you see the Predator and this, you know, all kinds of and then kind of interesting political leaders from both sides, from the left and the right, you know, just because I don't really care that much about those things. So it's a John F. Kennedy at the Ronald Reagan, have President Lincoln with Teddy Roosevelt that we're here, so you have different leaders, and then we also have those that have been losers, which is Stalin got This is a gift from a Russian weightlifter from the Russian Weightlifting Federation, and so I've collected them. Also.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like we've entered your mind. That's what it feels like when you enter this room, like all these aspects of yourself. I was I was wondering, what's your earliest childhood memory that you think defines the person you are today. I heard somewhere you mentioned your father made you earn your breakfast, and I was thinking, what does that feel like?
Speaker 1: You know, I really don't know exactly why it was that gave me the drive or gave me the ability to visualize my goals in order, but I think it was a combination of things of growing up after the Second World War in nineteen forty seven I was born, and to grow up with no food, midst starvation and faman and you know, my mother going around what they called hamsterring, which means begging at various different farmers for food, so she had food for the children. So all of that I think had an impact and a strict upbringing. My father was very strict. You know. We were hit many times and punished for not doing the things the way they thought we should do things. We had to earn breakfast, like you said, you know, we had to do push ups and sit ups and compete knee bends and all this stuff running around the house in order to be allowed to have breakfast. I think all of that contributed. You know. Also, I think having the military around, the British military that was because they occupied that area of Austria. They came always around with their tanks and with the big trucks and everything, and I think that gave me the fascination of, you know, becoming a tank driver myself, and I've met into the Austrian Army. Ever since then, I have had a fascination with big cars, big trucks, with tanks and stuff like that. And I now have the tank that I drove in the military. I now have over here in Los Angeles and it's at the Melody Ranch where they have a lot of various different military vehicles and they do the upkeep and they drive it like once a month, especially with after school kids that are staying in school in the afternoons and sounds. So we have a lot of fun with that.
Speaker 2: Do you still drive it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I drive it every month. Yeah, I really enjoyed it. But that's why I have hummers, you know, the big military trucks and cars and sues and that, the ashcash and all of this. It's a certain craziness that never leaves you. You know, I didn't know boys their toys, right, yeaheah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You said somewhere as well that you're you felt like your father was maybe struggling with some post traumatic stress disorder, like he had that energy that kind of came through onto you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, my father was a very complicated guy. Obviously, I never really got to know him that well. You know, by the time I left, it was like I was eighteen years old, I mean a military Then it moved to Munich. Then it moved from Munich to America, so it really was not home. I wish the day I could have a conversation with him, because I'm much smarter now, I'm much more interested in various different issues like that would make someone tick, but make someone you know, happy and suffer whatever. So in those days, we didn't talk about any of that, you know, So it's it. But he was complicated because he was a victim of the Second World War, meaning that he was dragged into the war, became a soldier, a Nazi officer, you know, was shattered in Starting Grat or Leningrad should say, and he was you know, buried on the rubble of buildings that collapsed on top of him for three days and then he had back surgeries and then he was shipped back home to Austria, and that actually probably would saved him because he got out of Russia just on time before the whole thing collapsed, and so it created a certain kind of a thing. He had malaria, so he was suffering from malaria, He was suffering from shrubnos moving around in his body. He was depressed obviously that they lost the war in the first place. So that must have had an impact on alliest man. Because everyone around me when I grew up was kind of drinking. And so people only drink when they're really unhappy, you know, or you drink a glass of wine like I sometimes do, but not to get drunk, but say like they did. So there was a lot of drinking going on, a lot of violence going on, hitting the kids, not just my dad, hitting me or my brother. But the neighbor hit his kids, and the other neighbor hitting I mean, as a matter of fact, that a regular kind of a parent teachers. They would be when the parents come into the classroom, they will go up to the teacher, they talked for a few minutes, and then they go go to their kids in the classroom and snack them. But every parent was It was just the wildest kind of a thing. It would be great for comedy today, I think, you know if because now I have to laugh about it because people all kind of like laughing about it because we knew. Like when my dad came in, you know, he then had this look. You know, at first he talked to and then all of a sudden it was just this look towards me. Then you will just come over and bomb, we snack you. Then we walk out. And then some old lady would come in with the walking cane, and she was the grandmother of one of the kids that were sitting next to me, and she would go to the teacher. Then she would walk over the cane and she take a cane and snack the kid over the head of the cane. And so this was normal. So you know. So that's what I'm saying. It's it was such a different way of upbringing than maybe you had, or that the kids have the day, or that my kids had, you know, where there was always love and affection for them. Yes there was discipline, but it was all done in a measured way and not with hitting and stuff like that. So it's it's it's better I think of This had an impact, yeah, on the way of view the world and my drive to get out of there, out of Austria and to come to America and to get in the body building and all those kind of things.
Speaker 2: What was the most intense part of your involvement in the military. What was the most intense experience you had there. Obviously there was this experience at home and at school, as you just said, but I think.
Speaker 1: That the military, even though when I went through it, it was really tough. But I have to say that when I look back at it, I recommend it very strongly for any young man or woman as fast it goes to go through that, because you learn how to be tough. You get up at five in the morning, you run for an hour, then into your basic training, you know, crawling on all fours and with the gun in your hand, and shooting and learning how to drive motorcyclists and cars and trucks and tanks. You learn about leadership, but you also learn simple things like how the iron your shirt, how to sew on button, how to iron your pants, how to brush your shoes, how to clean your shoes, clean belt bucklets and oils. So become kind of self sufficient, and it gives you, I think, a certain amount of confidence that I don't need to be babed by anybody. I can take care. I can cook, which you'll learn the basic foods. As a matter, we made scrambled eggs on top of the tank because the back of the motor will be so hot, so we just put the eggs on top and just scrambled it there and ate it of the tank dirty as it was. Right. But I mean, so you feel kind of look, I can handle food, I can handle ironing mail own stuff, I can handle washing my own stuff. I don't need anybody to do this kind of you know, stupid choice. I can do it myself, and I feel good doing it myself. So there's a lot of things like that. Did you learn in the army. It just gives you a certain base where you don't get a afraid of anything. You feel like I've gone through all kinds of hell. Now with the military, you know, they make sure of that, and so I think that's that's really terrific. But I remember there were times that were really tough, Like, for instance, if you make a mistake, they will have you open up the hatch that is underneath your seat and made the driver's seat is of the tank, and you open up that hatch and it falls out, and then they have you crawl out of that hole and then drive then crawl under the tank in a mud and with your uniform on and everything, and then you have you have to climb up the back of the tank up to the turrent, down the turrent, back to your driver's seat, and then out that hole again. And they do that like fifty times. So by the time you do it is like hours later, and you were you literally collapse, You're so exhausted for more this stuff. So there's punishments like that that were really really tough. So I would not wish that than anybody, to be honest with you. I mean, I could handle it, but I think I could handle it because it was eighteen years old, and you know, you're very, very tough in your eighteen dais about anything, you know, the endurance and the strength. And I was in the middle of my weightlifting and body build in Korea, so I was also strong, but it was strong Willdors. So to me, it was all kind of it was good, but it was tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was your first I know that you've talked about how like you wanted to get out of Austria, you wanted to get away, But what was your first glimpse of America? Like, what was your first experience of the United States that you had?
Speaker 1: The first experience was I was competing in Florida in Miami, So to me, Miami was the first experience, really arriving in New York, changing planes and then flying to Miami. I came from London to New York and then from New York to Miami. That to me was the first experience. You know, the high rises, the beautiful hotels, the water, the boats. Everyone had a boat there. Can you believe that? I mean everyone they have an apartment and at the canal, at the waterway and then they have a boat and they were just all cruising around and we were invited, we bodybuilders that were competing in the competition. We were invited on boat rides. There was this one bodybuildt that had a boat for like ten people. So we were going around and we saw how much fun they had, you know, how well people lived, how happy they were. To me, there was like a really interesting experience, unlike the experience when it came to California, because I felt like, Okay, I'm coming to California and I'm going to see all the things that made me want to come here, Muscle Beach. But the Muscle Beach by that time was closed, you know, they closed it in the sixties and and so there was no Muscle Beach per se. Then Gold's Gym was not as big as I thought it's going to be. The buildings when you look around out here be in Venice right now, it's there still the day, very no buildings compared to the high rises in New York. So I thought that there will be high rises here, also Los Angeles high rises. And then when my friends took me to Hollywood, they try to convince me this is Hollywood. I mean, look at this, And I looked around and I just couldn't see anything right, So I thought there would be studios left and right of Hollywood Boulevard. There would be studios that will be Paramount Studios, and that would be Sony, and then there will be you know, Columbia, Disney and Warner Brothers and all of the students will be lined up left and right with hotels and luxury and and I got down to Hollywood Boulevard. It was like a bunch of homeless people running around and weirdos and drug addicts and hippies and that's what I saw. And there's and tourists, you know. So I said myself, this is Hollywood. They said, well, you know, I have to understand this is daytime. At night it really lights up. And then they said, well, why don't you bring me here at night when it really lights up. So and they took me at night, and it was also very disappointing. There was a few lights and a few billboards. But you know, I just I came from London, right, So I've been at that point. I've been several times to London because I was competing in bodybuilding in London and I started my bodybuilding Korea there. So I saw Piccatilly Square, and I saw lights, I mean I saw action. It was like staggering that really blew me away, you know. And then driving out this double decker buses and the transportation with the subway or the two whatever they call underground they they call it in England, and all of this to me. The airport, the Heathrow Airport, that really blew me away. But when it came to America, when it came to Los Angeles, I had a vision like it would be like that, but it wasn't. And so I was very, very disappointed in the beginning, until I got used to it, and until I understood that this is earthquake country that you don't build high rises, you know, because they would collapse. Later on, as time went on, they figured out the technology to put them rollers or major tires or something so that the moves so they don't collapse. But I mean, I learned to understand all of that later on. But the first thing was a shock to me in a negative way. But then when I got used to Los Angeles, and when I got used to the gym and used to the members and the kindness of the American people and the sweetness of the bodybuilders, you know, that would invite me on Thanksgiving when it didn't even know what Thanksgiving was, and they would invite me, a stranger like me to the home for Thanksgiving dinner, or they will come and show up at my apartment with silverware because I didn't have any with dishes, with the blankets, pillowcases, bed sheets, and I remember this one girl gave me like a radio, a wooden radio for my aunt Taier next to the bed, which I still have next to my bed today, so, you know, because I wanted to keep that because it was like it was, it simpolizes whenever I look at that radio, it symbolizes the generosity of the American people and how it was kind of like included and they moved over here and all of that. So there was a lot of interesting lessons that I've learned right away when they came over here, you know, the difference between cultures and all that, between Austrians and Germans and British and the Americans and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of what you just said about first coming to Hollywood, I think it's very common when people got to Hollywood Boulevard and have a very glamorous view of what it might be, but it but it isn't. And what you were reminding me of just now is just this idea of how everyone has like dreams and visions of what something might be, and then when you experience it, you get a sense of how you view it through your own eyes. And for me, though, what I'm what I'm fascinated by is who is your who is your first ever bodybuilding coach? And do you remember your first ever tournament? How did it go?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I've There was a fellow by the name of Quid Mannul who was mister Austria. Now I have to imagine when you're like fourteen years old, like I was in fifteen, and mister Austria was like, it's a big star. He came out to that lake where I grew up. There was like a lake where there was on weekends like three four thousand people around that lake lying in the grass and on blankets and then swimming in that lake. And it was kind of a muddy kind of a lake. And he came out there and he looked like God. He was very good friends with the swimming coach, the guy that kind of took care of everything there at the lake and they were working out and they were inviting me to work out with them. So to me, there was kind of the first experience where someone kind of dragged me in and inspired me and said, oh my god, can you imagine looking like that? And he if he wanted it or not, happened to be very good because he said to me, he says, well, in five years, you could look like me. And I was saying, I was visualizing right away, oh my god, can you believe that if I could look like that? And I missed the Austria and I said, there was like major and I just felt like, this is almost kind of my new dad. He was thirty two years old, and he became kind of like a mentor. He invited me. Then first of all he invited I realized that they invited always these athletes out there, like shot buddhers and javelin throwers and weightlifters and boxes, bodybuilders, I mean all kinds of athletes. They all will work out together and have a good time. And we kids were kind of like hanging out with them very so often we will work out with them, so we got so I got my real early inspiration that way. And then I went down to the club, to the weightlifting club. I started working out, and Stiff really become religious about it. It was like this was my new life. And I started having visions, very clear visions of being a Mister Austria. Then there were pictures of the Mister Europe contest, so I visualized myself being in the Mister Europe contest and winning. And then I saw pictures of Reg Park, which is a British bodybuilder who then subsequently later on moved to South Africa, married a South African woman by then the name of Marianne and they created a family in South Africa. So that what became kind of my idol. And I saw pictures of him winning Mister Universe in London, and so that was my new vision. So I started really creating through this guy's vision. But that the division was so vivid, so clear, that I felt like all I had to do now is just follow through with the work. Let me now find out what needs to be done. And so I read about redg Park. How did he train? He trained like four or five hours a day, and he didn't soarn so many sets and so many reps. And these are the exercises. He did that, the bench press, the incline, prents, the bat, the girl that shoulders presses and this and that, and I just wrote everything down and I started following his routine, and that was absolutely convinced that I will be another wretch Park. And so that's how I really developed my first rule that I always talk about the success is you got to have a very clear vision of where you want to go, because if you don't have that, you're just floating around. And so, you know, I was very fortunate that they created that vision. I was very fortunate that there was not the site kind of things going on. We didn't have a phone in our house. We didn't have a television in our house at that time. There I on the iPads, there was no computer. There was just really you had all the time in the world to think and to really just sit quietly and to just visualize. And I always say that I feel sorry for kids today that they're spending hours and hours on that iPhone, an iPad or computer and they don't give themselves the chance to just settle back and to just figure out what do they want to do or who do they want to be? And so this is why I think that I made that kind of the rule Number one is visualized and I always comp be to that. You can have the best airplane in the world with the most advanced pilot, but if he doesn't even know where to go, it's just going to fly around and really crashes. And that's what happens to your life. If you don't know where you want to go and who you want to be, you eventually just float around. Then you will eventually crash. And that's why a lot of people are unhappy. Yeah, they or they take drugs, or they drink, or the suicide raisedness. I think a lot of it is because people really don't have as much of a purpose and the mission and the vision and of the things, the things that drove me from the time it was like fifteen years old, it was very clear which direction I want to go.
Speaker 2: I couldn't be more excited to share something truly special with all you tea lovers out there. And even if you don't love tea, if you love refreshing, rejuvenating, refueling sodas that are good for you, listen to this RADI and I poured our hearts into creating June sparkling tea with adapto gens for you because we believe in nurturing your body, and with every sip you'll experience calmness of mind, a refreshing vitality, and a burst of brightness to your day. Juni is infused with adaptogens that are amazing natural substances that act like superheroes for your body to help you adapt to stress and find balance in your busy life. Our super five blend of these powerful ingredients include green tea, ushwagandha acirola, cherry and Lion's made mushroom and these may help boost your metabolism, give you a natural kick of caffeine, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants and stimulate brain function even better. Juny has zero sugar and only five calories per can. We believe in nurturing and energizing your body while enjoying a truly delicious and refreshing drink. So visit Drinkjuni dot com today to elevate your wellness journey and use code on Purpose to receive fifteen percent off your first order. That's drink Juni dot com and make sure you use the code on purpose. Yeah, I love that you start the book with that rule of have a clear vision, because when you hear about your childhood, it's not easy. It's tough, it's rough, it's harsh. There's so many internal challenges at home, there's external challenges, there's limitations. That you're in a country that's obviously just survived a world war. It almost looks like there is no space to have vision. Like someone could argue that Arnold, like, I mean, how are you having a vision in this space? I think what's really interesting is sometimes we feel helpless because of where we're born, where we're from, our parenting structure, our surroundings. Some people struggle to have a vision because they say, well how can I have a vision? Look where I am? And then some other people they can't have a vision because when they see someone like reg Park or mister Austria and your example, what they see is oh envy, I wish I had that, you know, like, oh why does he have that? Or maybe you know I should have that. So I think we live in these two worlds where we either feel helpless or sometimes we feel envious and egotistical about visions. How did you allow yourself or how did you develop that ability? That even though around you there wasn't that much success, there was more stress, but you saw mister Austria and were able to do that. Have you ever figured out what that was compared to everyone else you grew up around.
Speaker 1: I just can tell you I was very unhappy. Yeah, I was unhappy with the reality of what was around me, you know, the tough parents and the lack of food. And others had steaks. We didn't have the money for that. As a matter of fact, we never ate meat during the week. Now the day they would say, oh, this is really good because here vegan because more because of a lack of money. So we didn't have anything. So everywhere I looked, so I think, to me, the only way really was in order to be happy is to create my own world and to visualize. You know. That's why people sometimes read a lot, because they want to escape into another story or the day they watched movies, to go in to see another to escape into another story and all etf For me, that wasn't available in the first movie. I was always like when it was like nine or ten years old. It was not a common thing in the village where I grew up to go to movies, and I remember there was a collapsible kind of a seat. I just felt right down on the floor because I had never even heard of a collapse. It was did you have to fold it down? So I folded it down, then waited a little bit, and then of course it went back up again. And I haven't right down on to the floor. Because of that world, the negative world, I had to kind of create my own world. So I was just always daydreaming of wonderful things. So it was I developed that art, and it put a smile on my face so clearly. When I then saw mister Austria, mister Universe, and I saw these guys and so photographs of it, and I read about it in the magazines. I created my vision and they saw in that vision myself being up on that stage, and I saw myself, you know, people screaming around me and screaming on or or and all this crazy stuff. It was all insane, crazy stuff. Stuff that I never shared in those days with anybody is that they would have put me in a mental institution, right, So, I mean, so I was I just remember that I was sitting in a classroom in school. I was like thirteen years old, fourteen years old. The teacher will be where you and now in front of me teaching, and I would just slowly look off to the side out the window, and I saw the screen trees, and then all of a sudden there said seeing things, and I had a smile, just this wonderful stuff to that saw and always said I had a chalk landed on my forehead. So the teacher threw a chalk at me, kind of saying, hey, I'm here. I'm getting paid to teach you, to teach this class of thirty Why are you looking out the window now? I couldn't even articulate that this what you're teaching here doesn't really blow up my skirt. It's like, it's not like kind of something that I'm interested in. What I'm interested in is what I just saw when I looked out there, and I saw myself on that stage in London at the Mister Universe contest, you know, and things like that. So I think that with me, visualizing became a normal thing. And I never really knew that I had really a very special ability to visualize and to connect the dots to set myself. Well, if I can see it, then it must be a reality, and I can make it a reality. So for me, the vision became a reality. So it was only then a matter of following through with the work to get there. And this is why in the book one of the things I talk about is work your ass off, because every single time when I had a vision about anything, I had to work my ass off. But it was pleasure. See, that is the great thing. When you go to work and you know exactly why you're working, then it becomes fun, a challenge, it's entertaining sometimes. And when you read that seventy eight percent of the American people hate their jobs, now think about that. I mean, that must be so depressing that you go. Let's say you're working in some car planted and you do, like, you know, kind of the same work within a window in a car over and over, you know, fifty times a day, every day, all year long, for thirty years. I mean, it's tough. And so this is why it's so important that we really have a clear vision, so that you know where to go and that wherever it is. If it is to become a great auto mechanic, or if it is become a great teacher or a politician or a high tech engineer, whatever it is. But have a vision and then you go after that. You should because now every step of the way is going to be great. You know when I mean, you pick a doctor. Let's say I want to be a doctor. I want to be a surgeant. The kid says to themselves at the age of fifteen, Well, from that point on, he knows, yeah, all the classes he has to take already in high school. And then when he goes to college, you know which university did to go, what kind of classes is to take, and then how long would it take him and all of this stuff. So there is a reason for going to school rather than all my parents told me that I have to go to college, and you just go to fulfill this obligation, but there's no goal. Yeah, that's what happens to the maturity of kids today. They don't have to go and that's why they end up being one of the seventy eight percent that are unhappy with their jobs and they wish they could change jobs. But then it's too late because now you've created a family and you have to pay for you know, you rent for the apartment, and you have to put food on the table, and you have to provide money for the kids and for your wife and for the family and all this stuff. So it's really tough. So that's why so many people are really always looking for an answer or searching for the answer. How can I improve my life? How can I make it a little bit better? And order stuff? And this is why I did the book, and I'll be useful.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you put it in that order, though, because I think for everyone who's listening and watching, a lot of people will say, I do work hard. I'm working my ass off, I'm working my socks off, I'm like doing everything I can. But I think what's really important is that in the book you start with have a clear vision. And I agree. I think there are a lot of people who are working really, really hard, and it's almost like if that hard work was channeled toward a clear vision, as you say, then that hard work pays off, right, because otherwise a lot of people just working hard, getting stressed, putting on pressure, but there isn't that vision. Have you found what was the greatest sacrifice you ever made in your life? Do you think? And what was the reward that you gained from it? What was the biggest sacrifice.
Speaker 1: That is really the question is is it really a sacrifice? Because you love it exactly. To me, it's also a real question is the word discipline, because I tell you I felt many times that I'm not a disciplined person. But people always insist and said, oh, it must take so much discipline every day to get up and every day you went in a gym at seven in the morning, and you worked at the nine thirty in the morning, and then you went to college after that, and then you went desinated and he worked in constructions. I was like looking forward to getting up in the morning and looking forward driving to the gym and working out two enough house and then going down to the beach and taking around in the deep sand and getting some cardio work down in the orders of I said, I was looking forward to it. It was not like, oh my god, I have to do another workout. Yes, you do that when, for instance, sometimes people go to the gym and the doctor says, you know, you should go to the gym and you should work out because otherwise, you know, I see some problems coming up high cholesterol and body fat and this and that, and you're gonna go and wipe out. You know, ten years is younger than you want to if there's every the right time to wipe out. But I mean, in any case, so that person you can see in the gym is there and they just they do their reps and they do their sets, and they're not really into it. You can see there's not life in the eyes, you know what I'm saying. Way, just like really, they grab the weight and they do the sets, and they get the pump and they feel good and they put the weights down and get the next heavy weight and then do the set and so that's really fun. But that person is kind of like a vegetable in a way. They just cruise around in the gym. They sit on the life cycling and they just peddle away. And when you say to them, missus, so why do you work out? They have no answer. Then eventually they say, well, to be honest, we do. The doctor told me that I should get in shape. That's better for my health, to bring my blood pressure down and my cholesterol down and my body fat down. And always so then it really so I say to them, I always say, said, you know what you should do is you should just pick a goal that you can chase. They will say like what I said, Well, how much you weigh? I'm weighing one hundred and ninety pounds, And then I want to lower my body fat body weight. I said, well, why don't you pick a goal, like you want to go down one hundred and seventy and did and is now March, and by August when you go to the beach, you're gonna have a slimmer waist, less body fat, and you look leaner and you can be proud of your body. And then picked that. Go, oh, that's a good idea. I said, write it down, and then write down the sets you have to do to get you there, and the amount of reps you have to do, and the amount of life cycling did you have to run? And raking a bicycle and running? Did you have to write all of this down? And then you market off every day you market off. That's what I did to me. There was really that dead feedback that they see a line being crossed that means one was set, was done. It was a satisfying kind of a thing. The line was crossed off, the next line was crossed off. And so I tell people that and then they they say, oh, my God, this is your I'm going to do that. That is such a great idea. Then they come back to me like a few months later and they said, this worked. It was underlore. It worked, it was fantastic, and it really gave me a purpose. She said, that's what it's important to have a purpose, Ma, to do things that a clear vision will they do things, because then you don't have to look at it kind of like I have to be really disciplined to do that, or I have to make certain sacrifices to do that, because then it just drags you in the dead direction and you just do the work, you know. So that's what I think is always that, But clearly there were sacrifices like for let me just give you one exact please, What do you think it's like when you go and you run for governor and you promise the people that you are going to be my number one pro. Now you win. Now you have to do the work. But now you come home and your kids are crying on the dinner table. When you come home and Daddy didn't come to my recital on Monday. Daddy, you didn't come to my football practice on Tuesday. Daddy, you promised me, did you come into the school and to take me to school? You didn't this week, So that is devastating when the kids are crying and complaining and you say yourself, you know, I promised the people that they're number one, but I also promised my family. I promised my wife when you are the first child, that they're going to be number one. So that's a dilemma. Now you're in a dilemma, and now you have to make certain sacrifices. And I had to make certain sacrifices comes to spending time with my family, where my wife had to pick up the slacks and she had to do the extra work. So there were sacrifices made that were painful. Sometimes when you see your kids crying, that's painful and then you know it's your fault. But that's the situation you're in, and you put yourself in this situation. You had a choice to run for governor or not to run for governor. Right if I would have continued with my movie business, those kids were in heaven because they were in a movie in my makeup trailer. They were watching me getting made up as the terminator or for any of those kind of movies. They were in my motor home and they were doing their homework in the afternoon. There. They brought their friends with them, so there was fun. Now, all of a sudden they go up to Sacramento and everyone is running around with a suit and with the tie. And they come to me and says that what did you do? Why are you having this job? They were like eleven twelve years old, and they said, why do you have this job? Now? I say, everyone has a suit and at tie, and everyone looks really serious and they all attack you. They say bad things about you. I said, what is the way? It's politics. I say, as soon as you run first you have like an eighty percent popularity, and then as soon as you run, they see if you popularity goes down to fifty percent because fifty percent of the other side, uh the other party. So you run as a Republican, say it's fifty percent of the Democrats they hate you or they don't like you. And then that the Republicans like you, but they don't even like you because says, yeah, he's doing to socially liberal whatever. So he said. My campaign manager always says, this is honord. Twenty percent of the people hate their mother. So don't worry about someone hating you. It's just the way it is in politics, you know. So anyway, So this is so you have to make sacrifices like that. Imagine a sacrifice you have to take when you come to this country. I mean, you know what it is like. You leave everything behind, my friends, my parents, my relatives, everything that was around me that was kind of like a sure thing. I had a job after the military that it could go to continue on the job that they did as a salesman. I had all of this that left orders for uncertainty because there was no certainty coming to America. There was Joe Weeder that said I'm going to help you find the apartment, I find your car. Yet there were some people that helped a lot. He's the one that said, gave me the alien ticket, become to the American and order stuff. Choe Whedder is the publisher of the Muscle magazines. He has passed away in the meantime, but I mean he was like the guru of bodybuilding. He created bodybuilding. The Federation was created by his brother Ben Whiter and Joe had the endless amount of magazines and distribution company for weight equipment for food suppraments and order. So he brought me here. So there was some help like this, but I mean I walked away from all this comfort didn't coome to America. So yet there were major major soccer like that. But I've really never looked at it in that way because I just said to myself, I want to go to America. I want to go and be there and work my way up to become the greatest bodybuilder of all times. And that's you know, we are talking about one of the other rules, yes, is in that book, which is that to shoot for big gore. Yeah, and never think small. It's just as much energy or as little energy as shooting for a little gore. You know that it's just as much hassle. I mean if a little gored. Let's say, if I would say I want to be mister Austria, well that's as much working out then working out for mister Europe or mister Universe. So I mean you might as well just continue on and just say okay or after now. The difference rule is then you have to become a real professional. You have to know how to pose, you have to have the right tan, you have to take the right food supplements. You have to eat the right food. You have to really fine tune, you have to get the definition. It's not just the size of the body. So the higher you go, the more complicated he gets to win. But I said to myself, to me to shoot for the goal of being a world champion, it's just as easy shooting for goal of being mister Austria, being the Austrian champion. So I just went all out, and not only to to win the world championships in bodybuilding, but to go beyond Rich Park, who won at that point three mister Universe titles. To go beyond that, and they say, I want to actually become the greatest bodybuilder of all time, all times that there was the mcgaurdan. So that's why I had to come to America, where there is a muscle beach, where there's gorge gym, where all the champions work out together, where there's Joe Weed, that they can be helpful and publish you and put you on the cover of his magazines. And of this the promotion, the campaign, the training, the marketing of bodybuilding and order. So to me, this was really the only way to go is to come to Los Angeles and on top of it, Los Angeles is known for Hollywood, and this is my next career. So I always say to myself that wed Reg Park, I saw him in Hercules movies. So can you believe that that this guy won Mister Universe three times? And then he was discovered in Rome in Gini Chitta and I saw him there and they said, oh my god, you are Hercules. We're going to send you the acting classes in the acting school and you're going to play Hercules. And then Steve Reeves did the same thing, who was another Mister Universe from nineteen forty, nineteen fifty. Yeah, Steve Reef from nineteen fifty, Rich Park nineteen fifty one. So both of them became Hercules. Then there was many other body bullers that became They did Hercules movies or those Gladiator movies and muscle movies and stuff like that in the sixties. Said but it became very famous. But the MESSI I said myself, if rig Park could get into movies, maybe even I go to America and I become the world's greatest bodybuilder, then they would ask me to go in the movies. And so this is what's the idea. So to me, it was natural. There's Hollywood in Los Angeles, there's Muscle Beach in Los Angeles, there's Coach sim in Los Angeles, there's Showda here. This is perfect. I have to go there. That was the reason why I went here.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have a Plan B?
Speaker 1: I never believed in plan B because I felt kind of like one of the rules we have in there in my book is never listened to the naysayers, you know, to me, I always felt kind of like every single dream of mine, of course, I have to say, they were outrageous dreams. So people said, this is stupid. Yeah, well is the matter with you? That would never happen? I mean, your dreams to go to America? What do you think they're waiting for you over there? I mean, if plenty of people over there, they've always three hundred million populations. They don't need any more. And so that was the kind of thing, is that you would never make it to America and they don't need you. So no, impossible. When I said don't want to be a world champion body but that was impossible. When I didn't want to get into movies, that was impossible. So it was always impossible. So I felt that we can go and defend ourselves from that and just not listen to the naysayers. But if I start having a plan B, then all of a sudden, I'm becoming in a way and they say it to myself. So because that means now that I'm saying, well, maybe this isn't working out, and if it's not working out, we should have a plan B. So to me, this is the most dangerous of all the they sayers is me saying no, and it's impossible, maybe to myself. So therefore I felt the best way of handling that is is not to have a safety net and not to have a plan B. That I'm at risk and therefore I have to be at all times on the edge and a ten so I don't fall where I would need a safety net. This is the way I had dealt with that issue. Never have a plan B. Always go for go all out with my plan and really put one hundred percent of effort into it in order to really achieve it. And I just always believed in my goals. I mean, I remember when I ran for governor and people said you're crazy. I mean, you know this great Davis is going to take you out, and then if he doesn't push the monthy is the lieutenant governor. There's all seasoned politicians. You don't know anything about politics, and blah blah blah. Why don't you run first for mayor and why don't you do this? No. I was very clear with my vision. I could see myself as the governor because I felt that the people in California were very upset at the regular politicians. I mean, they were always talking about what they know and how smart they are and how they're going to fix things. In the meantime, we had a thirty billion dollar deficit. In the meantime, we're blackouts. In the meantime, they were handing out driver's license to illegal immigrants or they called undocumented immigrants, and everything that the people were against, and the people didn't like the Indian gaming tribes were gambling and having gambling casinos but not being taxes, so they were mad about that. So I would just tell people if I become governor, I would change all that. And the workers' compensation costs for businesses in California, I would cut it in half. That's why so many businesses left California because of the costs of doing business. So I said, I were cut it in half. And so this is exactly people bought in because I was talking believable. I mean, there was I could put my hand in the fire for the people to do the things that I promised those things will be done, and I said I would do it most of those things before breakfast, the first event I'm in office. So that always sounded good, so in anykay. So but the people bought in. And I remember that when President Bush and this guy has called me from the White House. They said, you want the president to come out the campaign for you. I said no, no, no, no, no, I said, because then it becomes kind of a political thing. But the Republicans are helping each other. And then Greg Davis is going to have out, you know, Bill Clinton, and I'll go and John Carry and you know all of those guys. And that's exactly what happened. He had all those people come out campaign for him. And I told, oh, my guys, no, don't come out because I wanted to be the David and not the goliath. I want to be the underdog and kind of say, look, this is just between me and the voters. So that was my vision, not a political strategy vision, but I mean that was my vision. I said, I have to be the person that is by himself that is kind of crawling up there, and that it's communicating with the voters. I don't need someone to speak for me or anything like that. Yes, yeah, you and communications director and all this stuff. But I didn't need to have President Bush come out and speak for me. I didn't have to have the Vice president come out to speak for or anything like this. I wanted this between me and the thing, and it worked. People figured it out that I'm out there that I'm promising them, and they bought into it. And that one and so this is why it is so important that did you have really a one percent belief and not having to go and say, my plan B if this doesn't work is I'm going to go back to movies. But they would unfold anyway, you know. So, but let's first go all out and not have a plan B. This is the thing. And so I've never had a plan B.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it's really really great clarity again of just determination that there's no other options. And I like what you said, Well, what really connected with me at least is this idea of how you can become your own naysayer right now having a plan B, is you talking yourself out of why you should go all in.
Speaker 1: Or you're you're already putting it on a kind of shaky grounds.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, go yeah, you're already setting it.
Speaker 1: You already say well if we wait a minute, If you say if, that means there's a possibility in your mind this could fail, and that is a dangerous road to go. I think I agree.
Speaker 2: Where did you go when a few moments ago you were talking about how the kids are upset when your governor obviously public gets upset when someone's in a position of power. You've got all these people who rely on you personally and professionally, and you even said to yourself like, I couldn't really talk about it. You can't really, no one can really understand that. What did you do at that time? Where did you go for connection and understanding and even getting to talk to yourself at that time?
Speaker 1: Well, you just have to find a compromise. So what you then do is you just say, Okay, I'm going to go and spend an extra day at home. So, because there was the choice being in Los Angeles, a lot of days or the been Sacramento. So I spent four days a week in Sacramento and three days a week in Los Angeles. And I decided then to spend another day in Los Angeles and to go to this school recital or to go to some kind of a practice sessions of you know, my kid playing football or baseball or something like that, and to go to those things. So to figure out a way, and it didn't take anything away from my public service, but it gave a little bit more time FaceTime for the kids. And you know, it really is absolutely crucial for the kids, not just to see their mom coming to school, but then he did dad also, you know, And so that's exactly what it did. And I totally understood. I talked to my wife about it. But like I said on the aunt, she was really the one that was the powerhouse in the family because she spent I would say, eighty percent of the time with the kids and I did twenty percent because I was stuck in Sacramento. And even though she worked also as first lady, and she was in Sacramento, but she spent much more time with the kids. And luckily, when you have a good partner then you can do a lot of those things alone. I couldn't have done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. And you mentioned I think in the documentary too, that if there was an oscars for divorces, then you should get one because of how even in that circumstance you both have found a way to let the kindness be even the way you're speaking about Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because because it's kind of the most important thing is it's one thing if you suffer through it. It's another thing if your wife suffers through it. But the kids are really totally innocent bystanders, right, So we had too kind of My wife and I have a very good working together, so the kids don't really feel a bump in the road, and that's things are smooth for them. And again it's important. I mean I saw it very clearly that it can be done, and we did it, and we were very happy with the outcome. We're very, very proud of our kids. I mean, they're extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had the fortune of interviewing Catherine probably a couple of years ago when her book came out, so I've got to have some interaction with her and Maria and I've had several interactions too, and.
Speaker 1: Katherine is a carbon copy of Maria, and Maria is a carbon copy of Eunice, and Unice is a carbon copy of Rose Kennedy. So this is how it goes down to me. It's like they're like clones. They exactly you know, exactly what you get from them. I mean, it's like Katrine, I mean, I'm so proud of her of what the woman she has become, and so is with Christina, with my other daughter and the boys. It's just it's a lot of fun. I never thought that having kids would be that much fun, I said, because I only in the beginning. I always thought about, you know, the work that it would take, you know, to take them to school and to go to their recitals and the practices and to teach them and to have to swimming coach o when you know you have to just be part of everything you have to teach them, to teach them, you know, from just swimming to running, to football to what snow skiing. You know, you have to just be on top of everything. And also having animals, because one of the most important things with kids is if you have the space. That is, if you're in a little tiny apartment and maybe a cat is good, but the mean normally it's kind of like good when you have dogs or when you have like we have a miniature pony, We had horses, a donkey and the Lulu the miniature donkey. We had pigs now I have a pig again. The kids and the anymore. But it never stops. But I mean so because the kids grow up with this animals and you teach them how to take care of them. This is extremely important because they have to have a sense of responsibility. You can't just say, oh, I would like to have a rabbit or I would like to have a pig. Yeah, but you take care of it. So that's what they've learned.
Speaker 2: One of the lessons in your book is sell, sell, sell, and we just talked about it now. When you're talking about almost selling yourself to become governor, there's a certain promotion marketing approach to galvanizing people to get behind you. And I think the word sales and selling has a lot of people have a negative connotation or a difficulty with selling because it almost feels like there has to be something fake about it. I've always found that if you're proud of what you're selling, if you really believe in it, then it's easier to sell it. But generally people have a challenge with like the word cell. But you say one of your lessons is sell, sell, sell, So walk us through how you were able to I mean, obviously, even all the movies, the franchises you've created, it requires promotion, it requires selling, and of course they were highly entertaining. But tell us what you learned about how to sell effectively but also authentically.
Speaker 1: First of all, I think you're totally right that the words selling sometimes comes off sleazy. So that's why I can call it promotion or communicating or whatever you call it. And the point of it is that you can have the best product in the world, But if no one knows about it, what's the point of the product? I mean, I would I like to know, for instance, if there is someone out there that does a heart surgery or valve replacement without having to have open heart surgery. But if I don't know, I would just go to the husband and say I won't have an open heart surgery and I want to get the valve replaced. But if I know because they promoted it, well, I can go down and call that expert and then go and say, so, this is why I think it's so important. So to me, I learned the art of selling way back when I was fifteen years old, when I was in trade school, and when I was working for this lumberyard, kind of construction company, hardware store. It was like a combination of things. We were taught how to sell the merchandise, and then sometimes we were able to follow the guid that is the boss. And he one time said to missus, Arnold, why don't you help me here? And he would talk to the customer, and I realized quickly that there was something art going on that all of a sudden his attention focused on the wife. It was this couple. They wanted to have some tiles for the bathroom and for the kitchen, and there he first talked to him and how much money does he want to spend in order what colors? Then all of a sudden, it was like he ended up only talking to the woman. So he said, so, what did you learn? I say, well, I learned that you were really very clear about all the advantages and disadvantages of the various different tiles and the verious different colors. He says, yeah, yeah, that's right. But it's one dimension, but what else, I said, I don't know. He says, did you see how I shifted and my attention went from the husband to the wife? I said, yeah, yeah, what was that all about? And he says, well, I realized that he had really no interest in the tiles and what color should be, what type real tiles or fake tiles or what. It was her vision and it was her desire to have new tiles, and he just went along with it because he's the husband, is the provider of the family. He makes the money. She didn't make the money, but she had a very clear vision of what she wanted. So I shifted my focus because I realized that she is the customer, not him, and you got to go and be able to reach the customer. And this is why I started talking to her more. It was and then he just out of courtesy, said so, what do you think should have delivered on Thursday? And says, yeah, whenever, you will just always say whatever, And she says, Friday is better because Friday, my husband is at home in the afternoon, so he can help you carrying all this stuff up to the second floor and flower. So she was much more precise and so that's why he spent most of his time with that. So those are the things that I've learned when I was selling, and how important it is to actually let the people know that you have this product I was. I went right after that a few years later, I went to Munich and I after the military, served there as a trainer in a body building gym and we had, like I remember, two hundred and eighty members, and there was another gym in Munich that had five hundred members. And that guy his name was Ryan huts Moulana. He was mister Europe and I was at this point not mister Europe yet. That was junior mister Europe, but not mister Europe net yet and that didn't compete in any other international competitions. So I was training really hard. I said myself, if I could go to the Mister Universe contest and I compete and they do really well, I could maybe outdo him. And so this is what I did. I trained really hard for months, and then in September was the Mister Universe. End of September Mister Universe condest, and I happened to play second, which they called runner up. Yes, so this was my order that point was to be in the top six. Because I was nineteen years old. There was second place winner. So when I came back from London to Munich, I ran around on a construction site which is a baiting Sudan like a lunatic, and everyone was dressed up in their suits and everything else, and they said, what is this guy doing? That was walking out on the construction site and greeting people and all this stuff, hoping that some press would show up because there's this crazy guy running around in the cold weather with just a bad little basing suit. And sure enough, newspaper showed up, a photographer showed up, and they asked me after it's why are you running around like that? And they said, well, I want to make sure that my Gymnasium Universal Gym is in the newspaper. I said, okay, well let's take a good shot. When you take this saw over the end, you help this guy with the construction sat doing some cutting off the wood and stuff, and then we would take we would create some pictures that are really funny, and they put it in the newspaper the next day and he says, Schwartzenegger just came back from mister Universe was running up in the Mister Universe contest, which makes him the biggest title holder in Germany. Wow. So I made it clear that they know that, not that the Mister Europe is bigger or but the second in the Mister univers is the biggest title holder. So he said there was like I was. Now that story was in the paper and we had within no time, we had beaten him with the Timnasium membership and had over five hundred and his was low and he I remember him calling. So in fact, I worked out him myself in his gym because we worked out together, because it's much better when you have a good training partner that is a champion himself. And we were laughing about it. So then just to show you how important promotion is, so then he started secretly posting posters all over the city on construction sites the Simulana gym. We train you, you become a champion, more energy, healthier body, this, this and that and noticed stuff. So when I saw the posters, I said, I'm going to go and create posters myself for the gym. So we created posters and then we went. I followed him with the car and he was going at ten o'clock at night on Friday, putting the posters up there. And then after you put the post up with the glue, he then left, and then I put my post on top of his wet glue because I came right after him. I didn't wait until the tries went after him include my post on top of him. And so this was kind of like the post of war amongst the gym owners. It was hilarious, but it was all It was all about selling memberships because I knew that my salary comes and it's getting paid for from those moneies that are coming in from the members, and so I wanted to be able to buy food supplements. I wanted to be able to buy myself good food and the trips to those various different competitions in order to say it was very important that our membership goes up, that we are very successful. But it's all about selling. And so when I came to America, there was in my ploot now selling and communicating and promoting. So when I did, I remember my book promotion I'm Not the Education of a Bodybuilder. Simon and Schuster wanted to have it, you know, sell one hundred thousand copies. So I said, well, I want to have it on the best seller list. No body building magazine was ever on the best seller list, forget about that. I said, well, I said, let's give it a shot. How many cities do we go and promote the book? And he says, well, here's six cities I suggests, And so I said to him, I said, why don't we go to thirty cities? You're crazy? So he was laughing. But then I put together schedule and for thirty cities in thirty days, and I was crisscrossing America. I was going from ninety degree temperature in Miami up to Minnesota that was like in the below zero. So it was literally like one hundred degree temperature differences in the same day. So this is how much I crisscrossed this country. And it was absolutely fantastic. We want the best seller list. We sold, you know, two hundred and fifty thousand hardcovers or whatever it was, and it was like a total smash as a body building and fitness book. And so this is again and over again I have seen that not just the will power to succeed, but to be able to sell and to communicate and to be out and to actually talk about it. You know, I think it's important to let people know you don't have to force the issue into the heart cell where you talk about all time. Buy my book and by and by it. This is the only way you're going to stay healthy. In the orders of no, you don't have to do that. It's just in an indirect way. But the key thing is that when people walk away from the interview that they know about it. And this is also very important. Like for instance, when when we were doing Johnny Corson Show, you know, I was learning at that time about bridging. You know, where the bridge from a specific subject. Someone asked you to then, what do you want to talk about? It's an art, you know. So my friend was vice president of Nationwide Insurance and he told me about it. He said that he has taken many seminars about the you know, promotion because insurance business is very important. Did you promote and did you communicate and publicize and orders? And so I asked him about it and he told me. He says, well, bridging is one of the most important things. So he taught me about that, and of course I was on Johnny Corson Show promoting Conan the Babarian, just to give you an example. And Johnny Coston says, he says, so, oh no, this is really unbelieverable. It says that how long have you been working out? When did you start and why did you start working out? So I said to myself, Okay, if I answered this question in a thorough way, he will not sell one to go to see Conan. So I said, I got to go and bridge. And so what I did was the answered very briefly, because you have to sound stupid if you talk about something else. But I would say, say, Johnny, the very good question is say I was fifteen, but I tell you, at fifteen I did not know that at one time it is absolutely essential to have this kind of a body. He says. Imagine Conan the Barbarian, the way Frank Frazetta painted Cone and the Barbarian with the muscles amid the determination of yourself. And there was no one around to do this character. That's why they've never filmed Conan. I said, now here I come, missed the universe body, and now I do Conan the Barbarian, and it is now believable because people want to see me handle the sword and killing all these people. I said, it's believable because they see the muscles. So I said, now that my wildest dreams with fifteen, did I think that one day there's muscles would be so important in the movies and stuff like that. So I sold now to answer this question. So I was fifteen, but I sold Conan the Barbarian, you know, the muscles and the fight scenes. And they then would add on and say there was just one scene in the camera, and I punched up the camera and blah blah blahah. So you then just spice it up, and so this is what you know, selling and communicating is all about. I was very fortunate that my head was in that so much because when I was governor, that is the most important thing to communicate to the people, because otherwise how do you get their boat?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, So you need the people. You need to go and say here's why we need infrastructure. We need to rebuild our roads. We need to build extra freeways, extra highways, extra tunnels and bridges and on rams and off rams. I say why, because you want to go do you kids school and watch them play football. You don't want to be late two hours? I say, how many people get stuck in traffic. Neverone will be raising their hands and say, well, let's eliminate it. Let's terminate this problem, let's build my roads. Vote yes and proposition one A. So I explained it to them, not just talking about infrastructure, which politicians normally do. But people don't know what infrastructure is. I cannot expect them to know. With infrastructures. Is it the electric lines, the power lines? Is it the plumbing? Is it the sewage? Is it the building freeways? Is it building high speed rail? What is infrastructure? All of this is infrastructure, but cer you have to explain it to people by saying, do you ever get stuck in traffic? Of course everyone does, So then you say, well, let's build my freeways. Let's go and vote for this so they don't get stuck in traffic. So then then know, ah, it moves the traffic fast because we get stuck in traffic. So this is why communicating, communicating, communicating, selling, selling, selling, This is what it is about.
Speaker 2: Oh, those a great story is great examples. Yeah, I love I hope everyone who's listening and watching can latch on and get some insights for their own challenges. Those are great, and I love that you're going all the way from governor through to the gym and the story of you running around in your swimsuit is brilliant. What's the There was one story actually that aligns with that selling point that Will Smith tells of meeting you, and he said that he walked into a room and it was you, Sylvester Stallone and John Claude van Dam and you were the three that inspired him to go international. So he said that when he spoke to you three, you all said to him that the market in the USA is huge, but until he become a global superstar, you're not really a superstar. And so in the same way as you were saying you were going around the thirty cities of the US, you've done a lot of world touring as well for the movies.
Speaker 1: Well, I explained to him that when I got in the movies and talking about Conan the Barbarian was my first big international movie. Again, the studio says, we're going to send you to Khan to the film firstival was then we're going to go and send you to London and maybe the Rome and definitely to Japan. So I said, well, why are we only going to four places. They said, well, this is where the big markets are Germany, but the Germans always come to England. Maybe do the press chun kits in England so the Germans are taken care of. Then we have the Japanese. We go to Japan and you're going to do a big promotion there, and then then America. Those are the three big markets. So I said, okay, if this is the three big markets, I said, when I look at the globe today, I see so many other potential markets. I said, you don't want to build those, you don't want to create those. So I told will Smith, I said the story, I said. I told them, I said, I'm going to go to France. I'm going to go to England, to Germany, to Holland, to Finland, to Sweden, to Norway. I want to go all over the place. I want to go to the Middle East. I want to go to Africa. I want to go to Australia. I want to go all over the place. And said that. They said, you're nuts. I said so because I was thinking about two things. One is to promote the movie and the other one is I have to promote myself. Because most people know me as a bodybuilder, not as an actor. So this is a good opportunity for me to go around the world for the next month and to promote myself as well. I now I'm doing movies, and this is my first big movie. It's you know, it's called The Barbarian. So it was like a great opportunity. So I told him that, I said, so I slowly started building an international market, and the studios were extremely pleased because every one of my movies started to get bigger and bigger internationally. So it used to be that one third was international box office and two thirds was domestic. Then with me, it started going to be fifty to fifty domestic, fifty percent international, and eventually it became one third domestic and two thirds international. So imagine how much more money that it added because of that. And so this was a tremendous powers. I said to them, I said, don't ever assume that everyone would know about the movie. And so you got to go there. You've got to show your face. The people, the journalists like to shake your hand. They like to sit down on the round table with all of them mic sticking out the ten leading radio programs of that country. They sit there all day on the table. You're that the eleventh person that sits there, and now you're telling them stories about the movie. I said. They go back to the radio station, says, I have an exclusive interview with Will Smith and he's coming up with this movie. It is hot. He looks fantastic, great actor or is it? I say, hey, how can it hurt? But do it? Just promote yourself internationally and go from country to country. And he said, thank you for this really great advice, because if the studio would have said that to me, I would have just said, what did you want to use me? Because but you're saying it. I buy in, I believe it. And he has been thankful ever since because of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's great advice. It's great advice, but it's it's it's you know, you've got to always let people know that there's nothing sleazy about the marketing. And there's so many actors always feel like it's beneath them to go out and sell the movie.
Speaker 1: And they tell them. I said, look, no matter what you do, if you're a painter and you paint great paintings, or if you're a musician and you want to promote an album, or if you're a movie act and you promote the movie. I said, you have to do that because it's the only way people who know about it. The more you do and the better you do it, and to actually say the right things about the movie that is snappy, that really makes people curious when it goes. That's why it's all. It's an art by itself, not just the acting is an art, but the sullen is an art as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I love about what you're saying is, you know, for me as well, I only moved to LA five years ago, and I feel like I can be quite audacious and you know, driven as well. And so when I'm listening to you, what I always find it's interesting because the most successful people in the world they have this audacity in that they already see it as reality, and everyone else because it's so audacious, people are trying to catch up or they can't really see it, they can't figure it out. And you almost have to have that trust that you know where it can go and how big it can get. Having actually achieved all your goals, becoming the biggest bodybuilder of all time, going further becoming this huge movie star you know, you just said that you had to go to educate people at one point that you even were a movie star. I think you've been good at redefining yourself and re educating people about who you are, from bodybuilding to movies to obviously governor of California. How does it feel to have lived out so many of your visions that you saw so clearly as that young man in Austria, How does that actually feel well?
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, I always say to people, I would never switch my life with anyone's life, no matter who it is, because I think that I am the most privileged person in the world. I mean, it's like to be able to live this many types of lives, to live the life of an athlete, of an amateur, of a professional, to really get the inside scoop, because when you get the inside scoop of one profession, of one sport, you pretty much because you hang out with the bet top football players, with Joe Namath, all of these guys in the seventies, I mean, and with George Foreman and Muhammad Ali, so you get to know really the inside of all sports basically, and uh, I think to learn everything about sports to then learn everything about entertainment. To be now with the greatest of the greatest. I mean, imagine that I still met people like Frank Sinatra and Bob Hope, Uh, Sammy Davis Junior, Dean Martin and all of those guys. The guy that trained me in comedy was built, Milton Burrow, and then the all these old timer guys, Jimmy Stewart, I mean, the list goes on, Lucille Ball, the list goes on and on and on. To meet all these people, to work with them, to do photo shoots with them, to go to parties with them, to be at dinner with them, at charity event events with them, I mean, it's really staggering to have this kind of experience, and then to travel around the world and to meet or the political leaders from Gorbachev and you know, every president in the UN States from around with Reagan to Jimmy Carter, the George Bush and everyone that. The lists on and on, Clinton and all those guys, aller It, Nixon, I mean everyone I met and talk to and hung out with and learn from Mandela. So it is just like, I mean, who has the privilege to do that and to travel around the Middle East and to do the things that people say you can't do, like to go from an Arab country to Israel or from Eastra there. I hop back and forth all over the place, from Iraq to Jordan, to Israel to Kuwait, I mean everywhere, and uh, you know, visiting the American soldiers over there and to be there, I mean, it's it's staggering, this kind of life. And then to go into the political arena, and then to figure out what makes really a city or a state or come to run and tick and what kind of players do you need? And how do you negotiate with all these people? And how do you bring Democrats and Republicans together, and how do you come up with your own vision of how things should work? Because very quickly, you know, I was a hardcore Republican, but very quickly I realized that that's not where the action is. The action is not with one party. That America is Democrats and Republicans declined to state independents together and so that's the team. And as a team together we can do great things. But if you start splitting the team, U start falling apart. It's like any football team or basketball team. So I said, myself. The action is honard bringing them together. Don't insult the Democrats, don't insult anybody, bring them together, and let's be a public servant rather than a party servant. And so that was my new theme. I was so proud of myself as it. Maybe five thousand other politicians have talked about this, but I mean Obama said there's a blue state and read state. There's only the United States. But there's a bogus lines. Really, I mean it sounds good, but I mean the reality is different. So you really have to show leadership quality, and you really have to kind of make an effort to bring both of them together and to be not afraid to say to the Democrats, as a Republican, I need your help, but together we can solve this problem. I cannot do a long healthcare reform as a Republican. I need the Democrats, I need everybody, you know. So this is the kind of things, of building infrastructure, doing anything in this state. It was our best work we did together. So I cannot give any party a credit. I have to give credit to the politicians and to the people. And the people really enjoyed that when Democrats and Republicans got together and campaigned together for propositions, to vote for the certain propositions in order. So I think so I was very, very privileged to be able to do all of those things and to have millions of people listen to you and vote for you. And then of course goes to another chapter and another subject in a book, which is, you know, give something back to the community, you know, because we are not self made people. And I talk about this at great length in the book because you know, people so many times call me a self made man. I know what you're talking about, but I always want to make clear at the same time, I'm not a self made man. I was created by my mother and my father. I was created by my teachers, by my coaches, by my body building champions that they were my idols, and Joe Wheder, they brought me to America, Eric Morris who was my acting coach, Chuck Nicholson that recommended this acting coach. So all of these people I had, it's a tremendous amount. My wife did help me in every step of the way, you know, with the kids, that my kids were really helpful in my career. So I am a product of all of that and so I think it's important that when mean recognize that we have gotten the help, they'll be therefore give help back. So that's why you have to ask yourself the question, Okay, now, if everyone helped me to be where I am, how can I go out and help Who can I help? What can I help them with? And I talk about it in a book that my father in law, Sergeant S. Driver, had this great line at the university speech at Yale where you said, don't look always in a mirror, don't look at yourself. You know, destroy that mirror. You will be able to look beyond that mirror, and then you will see the millions of people that need your help. And so this what is all about, is to not just look at yourself or be self consumed. Yes you can be, but don't forget ever that there's a lot of people out there that need your help. And even though when people say, well what can I do? I'm a nobody, I don't have any money, it's focus. It's an excuse right off the top that I don't want to do anything. Because when you see Hawaii burning down to the ground, there's a lot of things that everyone can do, but just taking some food and bringing it to this poor folks, bringing some clothing, going out and going to some fundraising and bring a few dollars to them. Whatever it is you can do something, or to go into some inner city school and to help with an after school program and to help kids learn how to read, especially since in America now we have so many students that are English is the second language, you know, to help them to learn English and all this stuff. So there's endless amount of things. I just always felt that I have to be all out. I remember when Rudy Giuliani called me when he was mayor of New York. He said, oh my god, you know that buildings came down and we're creating a Twin Tower fund. Can you send a million dollars? I said, yah, you got it tomorrow in two seconds. I didn't even think about it, you know. So that's what you do when when we need needed masks. When COVID broke out and and Los Angeles, the hospitals didn't have any masks. So I immediately put in a million dollars towards a fund that we put together uh to do to raise eight million dollars and then to get masks from all over the world and especially from Asian countries, and so we can supply them with masks and gowns and with gloves and with vandilators and stuff like that. There was a company called flex Port that was was within days got a the mask. Even though the government said they're no mask around. They can get any mask. So either this are things like that or doesn't matter if it's an Earthquaker. If this is that, you go out and you reach out. And that's why I'm involved in after school programs. That's why I was involved in Special Olympics and being a trained and a coach for Special Olympians to help them with the winning medals and becoming champions and all of stuff. So that's what life is all about. To receive and to give.
Speaker 2: Was said, Arnold was said, and yeah, definitely more notes in the book for anyone who wants to dive into some of those stories. But Arnold, we end every episode with a final five. So these are a fast five where you have to answer each question in one word or one sentence maximum. So these are your final five. The first question is what is the best advice you've ever heard or received? Believe in yourself second question, what is the worst advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: It can't be done.
Speaker 2: Since question number three, You've mastered so many things in your life. What are you currently trying to master?
Speaker 1: Bring all of my talents together and the one the show business, fitness and politics all in one and make that be my new kind of vision and drive to help the world.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, I'm going to scrap the final hout. What does that look like? That's fascinating. What does that look like right now in your mind? As you develop it? You can use more than one center.
Speaker 1: I want to be out there and help with environmental issues because I learned about that doing my governorship. I want to be out there and help with healthcare issues, with aging issues, with fitness issues, with entertaining issues, and because it's important and entertain people, so all of those kind of things. So I have to Schwarzenegger Institute where we deal with a lot of those very different issues and policies to make it the better world. And I have my Environmental Conference in Vienna every year where the world comes together. Eighty ninety countries come together and we talk about the environment and how to make this a fastil feel free, world and reduce pollution so we don't have seven million people die every year because of pollution.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, I can't wait to see the impact you have in that space. Question number four has two parts to it. What is your biggest personal success and what is your biggest personal failure?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that my biggest personal success is to be able to do the things that I wanted to do, that the visualize them and turn them into reality. And I think my biggest failure obviously is my marriage. Think that from a personal point of view and from a professional point of view, I've had many movies going to toilet. I've lost bodybuilding competitions and powerlifting competitions and all that stuff. So I had plenty of failures. It's always important to bring it up because people should know that you never will be able to go through life without failures. Failures make us learn, Failures make you stronger. Pain makes you stronger. So I think all of that is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's address both of those because it's so true. Like on the outside, like you said, people can say, so privileged, you met the presidents, you did this, you did that, You've you know all the winds, you know when I'm looking around this room like everything's iconically you know, nothing's unrecognizable across the whole world. It's all recognizable. But did you ever feel the pressure when things started to go well of like, God, the next movie's got to be bigger, and the next movie's got to be bigger. Did you feel that or did you just kind of you were just loving it so much that you just kept building and if it went wrong that it didn't hurt you that much.
Speaker 1: You know, I never really felt that much pressure probably about anything, to be honest with you, because I knew what I wanted and I never really fell for this thing of what did the people expect me to do? So I just I create my vision and when everyone says it's impossible, I go after the vengeance, it's like I go all out one and it gives me joy and it is What is great about it is that every time that you accomplish something really big, you see and become aware of other things that are new challenges that you didn't even think about. Yes, I mean, did I ever think about that I will fight for the environment. No, But because of the governorship. You know, this is like the thing I talk about in the book about Hillary the Times Mount Everest and he's up there, and then all of a sudden, this is another pig to be climbed, right, And there's the next one. So there's the same thing. I go and win the governorship. I go in there, I start working on the governorship and all the different policies, and I'm meeting all these scientists and experts and they talk about it. You know, how many people diarrhea because of pollution and we can do something about it, and that dive into that it's a new peak. Oh my god, no one has really explored that. Forget the nineteen percent of renewables, we have to have fifty percent renewables. Forget about in the reducing Quino's gases about five percent. We have to reduce about twenty five percent, and we have to do it by twenty twenty. And so you said big goals. So this is the new peak that you're climbing and you go all out for that. Then when you get there, then you see another pick beyond that. So this is what is fun and this makes my life rich. You know that it's always something new and different. And I tell you that I also learned when I for instance, listen to you because you come from a totally different world, right, so you have a different spin on things, so that when a listener this, oh, that's interesting way of looking at it. And so I think we have to learn from one another. And so I think that you and I we have a lot in common anyway, because otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here right a minute to think about it. It's not just that I want to be having one of the most popular podcasts, but you have to be a curious son of a bitch to go and to be really good in what you do. And this is what I noticed about your podcast. You're really curious and natural curiosity, and I think that is you have to have it. You have to have curiosity. It shows in your eyes, it shows in everything when you ask the question and or you know, it's like when you see journalists, which I hate. You know, they have like a piece of paper and say, okay, very interesting, he says, Now let me ask you another question. You want them said, this isn't it? And then how do you feel that they they read it off the paper and then when you answer, they don't even look at you in the eyes. They look at the paper for the next question, right, So I didn't detect any of that from you. I mean, every question can without looking at anything, because you're curious, and so I think I just wanted to.
Speaker 2: Mention, thank you, thank you. I appreciate that, and it means a lot coming from you. And I am curious because I grew up as a fan who didn't so that's one thing. But I think I'm even more curious because you chose to write a book about being useful and life lessons, and I think that that world is what I gravitate towards because I think learning from the greats is all we have. And I think when we ignore to learn from the greats, that's when we make We have to make our own mistakes for no reason. We can avoid so many. So no, I am very curious about you. And I think you're also a fantastic storyteller, so that helps you get into someone's detail and so many examples and everything, so it's it's brilliant.
Speaker 1: I tell you, it was really fun doing this book because I really had to kind of drilled down and think about a lot of the things that comes natural for me, you know, to tell stories about because you each one of the rules, you want to be able to even the sub rules and the sub sub rules. You want to be able to tie it to a story so that people can relate to. Like I was talking about infrastructure. You can talk to people about infrastructure already want they can relate to it. But as soon as you tied to getting stuck in traffic making it to the recital in the school and you've come late an hour because of the traffic in order, then they can relate to that. In the same is with any of the rules. You know. I kind of had fun doing it. It was sometimes frustrating because you want to do you know, ten rules, and the publish it and says, no, you can only do seven because this book can I should only have two hundred and sixty eight pages other than three hundred and fifty pages and all of this crazy stuff you go through. But it was a really, really great process and never met wildest dreams. Did I ever think that I would occupy this space at all, And it really happened, just totally coincidentally. We're more and more people, you know, when you when you finished with the governorship, I was asked to do public speaking engagements like ex presidents and stuff like that. And as I'm traveling around, I think one time someone said, can you pump up our crowd? We have like a thousands, you know, real estate people. We want you to just pump them up, so you do a little bit of success story. Yeah, And all of a sudden they took golf like wildfire. Every one of the public speaking engagements they've had since then they want to go and have me talk about success and the rules to success and all of that stuff. So it's like something I didn't even think about because I always was a motivator, you know, if it's a special Olympics of after school programs or do we just my buddies around in the gym. That became my training partners because I always have this kind of energy, right, come on, let's just said you can do another set. Well, you're stopping with ten reps, give me five more reps. Let it pain, Let it give pain, you know, and you just pump pump up. So I have this energy. So never thought that this would be used then for seminars and eventually for a book like this. It's it's like crazy, No fantastic takes you. Yeah, it's fantastic. It's beautiful to see it through your eyes and through your lens and for us all to dream as well. And I have one final question for you, and actually before I ask it, when you said we have a lot in common, that there's so many different parallels that I'll tell you later, because when I was listening to you, I have a very different life, but so many similar lessons I've picked up along the way, and I think as humans, that's what brings us together. We may not have the same life story, we don't grow up in the same places, we don't have the same parents, but you pick up the same messages from the world and the same lessons from the world. So the fifth and final question I want to ask you is if you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be. Well, that's an interesting question. Maybe to get fossil fuels that you have to use alternative energy, if it is nuclear with producing energy itself, if it is for cast electric or hydrogen. I just feel like, if we have seven million people die because of pollution, I think by having a law like that and eventually make it stick, I think that we could save those lives, and this is like more than any of the wars that they're fought and any of the other disasters or anything like this. It's like so many people die because of pollution. So I mean that's huge. One thing is I mean, you know then the Bowery. Tomorrow morning, I'll call you and say I have another law.
Speaker 2: Great, that's a great answer. We've never had that one though. We've never had that answer. So it's a brilliant answer. But you've been doing so much work in I feel like you've been doing so much work the plant based space, you know, with the documentaries on game changes like climate change. Now you're talking about like it seems like this has been like an immersion for you.
Speaker 1: Well you know that. We know it's crazy. Here's another crazy one. Yeah, it's all My life is so insane. I believe it. But I mean it's like I'm working with the sky cham Cameron. I determinated one. We become friends, we're right the motorcycle together, we hang out together, and then it does you know, Terminator two, and it does other movies in the Titanic and other titles. Yeah, but he is an environmentalist. But when we determinated, I never knew that, and he never talked about it. So then I become governor, and now he goes in the system. He says, I only make it to make your way of that. The power companies are still resisting that we've verse metering, he said, reverse metering? What the hell are you talking about? He says, way, it's the thing you know, when you produce energy from solar and you produce too much, you want to put it back on a grid. That's reverse metering, and you get credit for it. So I walk away, and how does Jim Cameron knows about reverse metering and about that something you know? Of course, it's very clear because he's a genius, right and he just is with technowledge and stuff like that is unbeatable. But sure enough, I go into the office the next day in the governor's officer said, look, guys, I want to talk a little bit about reverse metering. Oh, I'm so glad to bring this up, because power companies are fighting us tooth and nail. They don't want to do reverse meeting. But we want to pass a law to be telling the legislators to send us a bill so that you can sign it in blah blah blah. So this just gives you an example of what impact Jim Cameron had on me with issues that way beyond you know, movies and stuff like that. Then he goes and says to me, I said to him, I said, my doctor said to me. He says, I should get off meat and they should only have once a week meat. And he says, well, hello, where have you been. I mean, I've been vegan for five years. So I said what, And this is I've been being for five I mean any meat for five years. You don't need me to have it. And he goes crazy. Now right, and he says some effect, we're doing a documentary right now and the other thing, you know, on eating plant based food. So all of a sudden, here's the experts. Now I sit down with him and he's telling me for hours about you know, plant based food and how he can combine and create the right assets to create the right protein and all reasons how he can get strong. And here's and now he lists the name of the athletes, boxes, wrestlers, weightlifters, UFC fighters, everything that are on plant based food. Think about that. So now I got into it, and I was part of this documentary. Right, and now I eat like maybe once a week meat, So I would say seventy percent at least. The cutdown my meat intake for health reasons, and it happens to be also for environmental reasons, as he explained as the honold, what do you think where most of the pollution comes from more than from transportation, comes from breeding live stock? Says, see, are you kidding me? He says, no, read up on it. He says, I send you some stuff, so I'm reading up on it. Sure enough, twenty eight percent of the pollution comes from breeding livestock. So he says, if people wouldn't need meat, this is and wouldn't have the animals being kind of like the WHRSE cell, kind of like the vegetable protein goes into the animal, then they eat it in the chase. Then you eat the animal. You still get the the you know, the plant based food, but through the animal. Now it's it's bullshit. We can do better than that. Let's cut out the meat. It's just amazing how I get exposed to various different things in my life and make me passionate about ways that I couldn't even ever have planned. You know, those kind of relationships and this kind of knowledge you could never plan on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do you also have a meditation practice?
Speaker 1: Is that right? I used to in the seventies. There was a time when I got out of bodybuilding and into show business and it was all kinds of things happening in the mid seventies. So I was doing the last year of competition in nineteen seventy five in South Africa, missed Olympia, so I was training for that. I was finishing off my movie Stay Hungry with Barb Breaferston and Salid Fields and Cheff Bridges. You know they're doing that. And I was at the same time going full plast in the show business, taking acting classes and investing my money in real estate. So I was no matter which way I was turning, I was like scrambling, and at that point I did not know much about how to isolate and just concentrate on one thing at the time. So I'm hanging out with this guy, this skinny rat down on the beach. Here's a transcendental meditation teacher. But they never talked about it. So I said, I feel frantic. I mean, it's like everything is a little bit overwhelming for me. I'm doing this movie. I'm shooting the documentary, pumping on, I'm going to the competition, I'm finishing off Stay Hungry. I'm trying to the real estate and become a millionaire. I'm all over the recess. And let me talk to you a little bit, very calmly talks to me about it, and he says, when they come up to Westward and take some transcendental meditation, he says, I cannot be a teacher, even though I'm a teacher. I said, your teacher trans Then yeah, he said, but I cannot be your teacher's our rules in your friendship and stuff if there's someone else's. But don't worry, I said, yeah, with the right guy. So I go up there and I did the I learned now about meditation, And as I got into it, I was then doing meditation like for months throughout the summer, that hectic summer. I mean the summer was over, it wasn't a hectic anymore. So what I learned from meditation was, you know, how to kind of like first of all, rejuvenate the mind and to kind of disconnect the mind. But also what I learned was how to focus on one thing at the time, and to just look at that with no peripheral vision so that nothing comes in. Solve this and then don't think about anything else, and then go over here and solve this and then south. Just because he said, you can never do of it in one time anyway, and as soon as you single out things, it becomes much more approachable and much more doable. He said to me, I remember, he said, when you drive down and nice what walk with your bike, he says, you will look sometimes on this busy day and it will be all packed. He says, it would look like you would not be able to go through this crowd because you're looking at the whole shot, the whole what walk all the way down a mile venice, So it's overwhelming, he says. But if you go not with your bike slowly, you negotiate around the people and all of a sudden you find spaces where you can go. We don't bump into anybody, and always says, you always said you're on the end of it, And it was totally doable because he took like one person at the time, kind of like by sicing around, he says, And that's the way with everything. He says, if you just look at it one thing at the time, you'll be able to solve any problem. And that's why it says, you see people like the Pope that has obviously his daily routine, the big daily routine. But those guys, they get up at five o'clock in the morning, they work out for an hour and a half, very calmly, get that out of the way. Then they read newspapers like Pope Jump Paul. I remember he told me that he read newspapers in six different languages. So they read the newspapers, then they get that done. Then they go and take a shower, and then they go and have the first meeting. So this is how they step best step they approach the day, and says the people that get done the most, you can load them up with even more responsibilities because they're very organized and very systematic in their approach. And so I've learned that. So now I've never really been that friendic again, but if it would become friendic, I would go right back into the meditation because I know now how to do it.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic, Honold everyone who has been listening or watching the book is called be useful. Seven tools for life. You can grab it right now. We're going to put the link in the comments and the captions that you can order it right away. As you can tell, Arnold's a phenomenal storyteller. Inside of it a lessons stories. And one of the things I definitely have in common with Donold that I appreciate about him is how simple the idea is, how easy they are to digest. They're not complicated, and you know, you don't have to learn something new. You can actually just sit there, take them in, listen, and all of a sudden you start going, wait a minute, maybe it is that easy. Maybe it is that simple, and I think that's something that we desperately need in today's world. So Arnold, I thank you for putting all your lessons into a book for us, and thank you for telling so many amazing stories.
Speaker 1: And I signed seventeen thousand copies. Wow pages paye because now they sent you the pages, you know, so I'm getting the boxes with pages. Each box was a thousand pages, and I said them, alf, wait a minute, now you know it first was like fourteen thousands for the American Company, and then there was another three and a half thousand of four thousands for them they're going to be in bookstores. Yes. What what they do is I think that the first of the books all signed. Yes, so now people will be in the order pre order, they will wear signed books. I think that was the idea so in the old days, that you would go to the bookstore and you will sign all the books yourself, and then you sit there for hours and hours and after an hour signed one hundred books, right because you have to open up the book and it's always slow. Now is these pages? So I was just like signing, signing, signing. I was for three months. I was signing and signing and signing. H I mean think about it, I mean seventeen thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can relate.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I never thought that many cigreass.
Speaker 2: I love it. Well, it's available.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Make sure you tag me and Arnold on any social media platforms you're using, whether it's TikTok, Instagram, x or wherever you are. I'd love to see what resonated with you, what's stuck with you? Keep sharing those posts across social media because I love seeing what is going to stay with you, what you're going to practice, what are you going to try? What are you going to implement in your life from this episode that will help you become happier, healthier, or more healed. Thank you again, Arnold, thank you, thank you. If you love this episode, you love my interview with Will Smith on owning your truth and unlocking the power of manifestation.
Speaker 1: Anybody who hasn't spoken to their parents or their brother, haul them right now. Don't think you're going to have a chance to call them tomorrow or next week.
Speaker 2: That opportunity with my father change every relationship in my life.