Speaker 1: Now, the Shotgun Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start.
Speaker 2: Here and where we go.
Speaker 3: Alright, alright, alright, did no man dart?
Speaker 4: Your greetings. Welcome to a Monday edition of The Shotgun Start. It is July twentieth, Andy, how we doing.
Speaker 3: Brendan, It's victory Monday. What a great day. It is a reel. You know, oftentimes you wonder, but there's no doubt about it. A real proper player won this year's Open Championship, Ryan Fox. Congratulations to one of the best guys in golf.
Speaker 4: Proper Player explanned on that why a proper player he's been? He's been easy to root for for a while, he's been a fan, a podcast favorite for a while. Got to know him slightly a little bit, wouldn't say, you know, you know extremely well, but he's a good person. But why do we like his golf? For me, it's always been he's like the last world player, right when everyone kind of became these monoliths and we go to the PGA Tour and we make our money on the PGA Tour and we play. The guy has stuck to and now he's also had to adapt and do more. PGA Tour golf plays a global tour. It's not quite Ernie L's in two thousand and two or whatever or late nineties, but being from New Zealand and kind of paying homage to some of those locales and then being a deep world tour player deep into his thirties. You talked about I was a rookie on the PGA Tour at thirty seven DP World to a rookie at thirty or whatever it was. He's been all around the world, and it just feels like a guy from a from a past that doesn't exist anymore, of having to play everywhere because that's what he wants to do or feels like he needs to do as a global golfer, and he wanted a different Definitely the global, most global major in the world's major and unique major today.
Speaker 3: So that's probably some proper golf. Yeah, true sportsman. You know, obviously it got beat over his head. But son of an All Black Grand grant, his mom was a great cricket player too, and father great grand or his grandfather was an amazing like cricket player for New Zealand grandpa or father of rugby player yep, didn't start playing golf, like really even thinking about playing golf competitively till eighteen. That's amazing you he started. We first played at thirteen, liked it and was missing like competition, So that's what spurred him into golf. And then you know, I think just like the pace of play. Obviously, his route to the to the top of the world is very different than most people. He's just not the cookie cutter PGA tour out of the box player named Davis. You know that wasn't meant to be a David shot at mission.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: You know, he just is. And he's genuinely like a wonderful guy, like a guy that you love me, you know, having had a beer with him. He's just one of the few people on tour, like not few, but you know, probably a couple of dozen people on tour that you could just sit at a bar and listen to stories all day from so wonderful guy and really fun to watch someone get it done that unexpectedly. And I think we've had two majors this year where you enter the back nine and it's really like anybody's game. And both times we've had players that, you know, I think the betting public or the general public wouldn't have expected to rise to the occasion and win the tournament. Aaron Rye did it in fat fashion at Irono Mink really just taking the championship by the horns. And Ryan Fox did it despite a couple of bad breaks. He just hit wonderful shot after one.
Speaker 4: He's a friendly guy who could have a beer with in a bar. Now you're worried about bad breaks. Now you're policing fair policing. You're calling out bad breaks for guys that you could have a beer with, are you feel?
Speaker 3: But he persevered, like you see some people throw a hissy fit after what happened to him on fifteen. You know, the t shot on seventeen was was a tough situation. You know, you wouldn't expect an iron to roll out that far, but it did. You know, He's played to play it short and it's like, you know, basically one revolution from stopping in the perfect spot and making it a shoe and birdie, and you know, I I just think it was it was an awesome, awesome championship, really fun. All in all, there's tons of chaos, tons, a couple of rules controversies and and that just adds up to you all.
Speaker 4: It's a clean drop, totally clean drop, properly applied. We're going to get the Scottie, which I'm sure you're wound up about.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: I didn mean to cut you off. Go ahead, finish, great championship.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you love love a late bloomer. Late bloomers or sometimes the best stories. Thirty nine years old wins his first major championship, and you know a couple of years ago, you know, he he got completely shadow band by the PGA Tour from the President's Cup team when he should have been ranked in the top thirty. I think that was for the uh, that was for the Royal Melbourne one.
Speaker 4: Well, he's always been sort of caught between tours, like you.
Speaker 3: Listen to tour, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Which is kind of a feels like a hole in the President's Cup if an international player who you know is not enough of your kind of tour member, kind of a hole seems like a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's funny. I played a round of golf with him, in at in La And the reason I was played a round of golf with him was because he was sitting in La waiting hopefully getting into Riviera as the thirty third rank player in the world, and he didn't get into Riviera, so he was playing golf with a with a bum podcaster.
Speaker 4: Remember that it was a great I thought this was a great championship. I thought this was a really fun open. I felt like today, you know, sometimes I feel like this is kind of a slog or drudgery, or it's always like a privilege to be out there. And I spoke of that when I walked in for the first time at the start of the week, of like how special it feels to just as an American to get over here to this open that can feel at times unattainable and far, and so like your privilege to be here from the beginning, and at no point to day that I feel like there's enough juice. We don't have enough going on, we don't have like it's a little slow. I think there was some at the start concern about like who might win and how they might win, would it be boring, would there be some duds on the leaderboard? I thought between the Bryson stuff Scotty today, the manic pace on the leaderboard, and it wasn't paced by Bertie shooting ahead with Bertie's for I thought a good chunk of the afternoon, it seemed like Camyon was gonna win by just being in the clubhouse at nine under and nobody was going to really have He's gonna do press, two press conferences. He did his post route and then he was gonna have a winner's press conference two and a half hours later. I thought, Birkdale, you know, just for for We'll get to some of the changes and comments about those, but I thought Birkdale, just conditions wise, it was beautiful the whole week. It was baked out, it was sunny, you know, required a certain amount of skill, and definitely today as the wind picked up a little bit. Overall, I thought it was a fabulous Open championship. I don't know if it was like the best ever, but if you're giving a pass fail, it's passing with flying colors. And for the content game like that we're in and just amusement and entertainment, it was pushing upwards of like a B plus or an A minus, like a really fun Open Championship for all that was baked into.
Speaker 3: The stew totally agree, and I think it was fun that we got a little win today and that the kind of dynamic of the tournament changed, you know, where it became really tough. And you know, the first three days it was like who's going to go out there and get it? Who's going to go out and shoot the sixty two, who's going to shoot the sixty five, who's going to shoot those loads? Numbers and up up the board. And today, outside of Cameron Young, really nobody put together a really great round and it was more hang on for dear life. And you saw that with all the guys that when they made the turn and you know, Cameron Young, he posts nine and it felt man if he if he would have gotten to ten when he by that time, you were like, oh you and he even said it, I would like to be even a couple more than ten. At that point it felt like, you know, eleven or twelve was going to get it done. But you know, it just it just proved. You know, I think it it would have been really you know, I think you got a little bit more win today than you had the last few days. But It just shows what that golf course would have played like with the with the conditions it was in, with how firm and how fast it was. If they had had that that traditional Open Championship win all week, it would have been a very, very very high scoring week.
Speaker 4: It was. It was a great I thought it was a great venue. I thought it set up great for what they wanted. Now back to Ryan Fox. Overall, very positive feelings coming out of this Open Championship. Back to Ryan Fox. That you might not be as familiar with him as you are with some young star a Cameron Young to Ludwig, maybe Sam Burns. If you're an American, he's easy to root for. I think if you watch this dude, he he did not shrivel up and shrink. I loved hearing him talk about, you know, I'm on the eighteenth toll and I talked to my caddie Dean, and He's like, I'm gonna go and get it, like hard asshole. The birdie in the last three he didn't Bertie, not Birdie seventeen, but sixteen and eighteen to be the two is kind of the reverse of what you would expect, right and to win it. We saw Cameron Young, you just talked about getting he almost hold out for bunker, hold out from the bunker to stay at ten for a part, a lot of bogies, only five birdies before fox. He came through at eighteen. He said, we're going to take this on. I'm going to try and win the tournament, and I will live with the consequences if I stuffed it up. To go out there and execute the drive is not comfortable, and to hit it in the fairway and give myself a chance was huge. He said. They got to twelve and he's like, well, we got to get three more. And this was as it was getting windier and a little more challenging, and the dunes on those that more elevated back there, dipping between the dunes. And he didn't get just three, he got four. He got four birdies and like a bogey quote save. He talked about how that might have been more important than any of the birdies, is how which he said he felt better walking off there with the bogey that he made. Then maybe if he had walked off there with a par which is kind of like you would be like on paper, one shot better. So, but in terms of vibes, and juice saving that bogie after he gets a little bit jammed in the bunker. But he said he was short by a yard missed it. You know, it was a good shot. It wasn't like he just hit a poofy or shanky shot. He had a great shot. He missed by a yard and then he save saves the bogie coming out backwards. I just can't. I mean, if you love golf and sports, you have to be fired up. Four birdies in the last six to seven holes.
Speaker 3: I think if you look at his last you know, we'll just say four holes fifteen. I mean you could go back, though, you could go back to fourteen or thirteen, wherever you want, you go back all the way to thirteen. I don't think he missed a shot like he I think he hit every shot exactly how he wanted to hit it. That shot on fifteen where he made a bogie. In order to hit that green, you had to take on like all the risk, which he did, and he came up literally probably a foot two feet. If he carries the ball two feet further, he's got like a dead red birdie. Look, you know, and that could have just been a misjudge. The shot on seventeen that yielded a par instead of a birdie was because his two iron or three iron, whatever long iron it was rolled an insane amount, like an unfathomable distance and just barely trickled into the bunker he was trying to avoid by hitting the long iron, like the guy hit every shot out of the center. And I think, like to your point, the resilience, the kind of the ability to accept the bad breaks and go hit great golf shots was a was a just a championship moment, and I think that's where he kind of won everybody over, is you know he had he gets this terrible break on fifteen, and how many times have we seen people just ruined by this and you make a double bogie there and you shut yourself out of the tournament. But that up and down was awesome after he just you know had to chip out, you know, getting up and down there the putts he hold and uh yeah, I I you know, you love when people go out in moments and make you know, big time players make big time plays. He went out and won the tournament, and it's from somebody that people probably didn't expect it. But he's now he's won like twenty times across the world. He's thirty nine years old. He didn't really start playing professionally until his mid twenties. The guy, the guy has done it everywhere he's gone and it takes a little while to get there, to get comfortable. But now we've seen this is his third win in the last two years.
Speaker 4: Contains multitudes. I mean he's won a dun Hill on the Links course, He's won the Myrtle Beach Classic. Now he's won the Open Championship, joins Lydia Cooe, Bob Charles, Open and the Open. In the Open, Michael Campbell, Lydia Coe and Bob Charles is a ki kiwi New Zealand major winners. I think you know what he did make the birdie on seventeen. I was like, well, let's just hold on to your butts. It's like playoff at best, loss at worst. And what you're talking about the resiliency there of like not getting the birdie that feels like the best birdie, chance of maybe getting jammed off the tee to were about with a T shot. They were like debating, what's he going to hit? Is he just going to hit like a low sort of driving iron and he goes for it all and he said he had a great yardage on approach and stuck it to ten feet And then I don't know, a birdie to win the Open in that arena is as good as it gets. And I think one thing. I think sort of with Aaron Rye. And I'm pretty sure Aaron Riyce is definitely younger than Ryan Fox, I believe, but you know, there are major winners who there's probably guys that expect to win majors, right, and maybe they win them young and like, well, yeah, this is sort of the progression and this is my destiny and this is like and I don't want to say it means less at all, but there is sort of a sort of acceptance of like this is what I should be doing. I think with like Fox and Aaron ry like we you see that he's won all over the world, like you said, but he's also like, look, I just needed to tour to play off. It's a little different when he first came out, like I almost quit. I thought about giving up golf. On my second year on the Offsseie Tour, I kept missing the cuts and my dad came and caddied for me. I think it was Joss Open, one of those in RPGA. So is this game is supposed to be fun. It's like it's supposed to be but it's not. And you're talking about someone who's been through like ups and downs, who quite frankly he said until till like this week, he was just talking with this team on Saturday night. Like when I turned pro, if you told me this was my career, I would have taken it in like a second a heartbeat. Now, of course I'll take the one I have with the major. Oh no, there's something just a little more gratifying sees someone who I don't want to say it means more to them, but it certainly resonates and has a little bit carries a little bit more power than so, like I don't want to throw a name out there that will just feel like I'm denigrating their major, but call it like Justin Thomas winning like that's like he expects, that's like his progression and it means a ton to him. But I think like that that's just a mini takeaway I'll have from someone like Ryan Fox and Aaron Rye winning majors this year.
Speaker 3: I mean to echo that, so when I played golf with them, and so it was twenty twenty four, it's February. He's at this point, you know, top forty player in the world, but he's playing off of so he was he had gotten screwed over by Adrian Marunk, who had earned the number one spot as on the DP Tour list, and because of when he went to live he didn't get knocked off it. So Fox was the number two guy on the on that list, but like, if you were number one, you got a lot more benefits than if you were number two. But the tour didn't reshuffle it up, right, So this is like the thirty fifth ranked player in the world. And I'm like, and he had just had I think he had just had his first kid, and we're talking and I'm like, so, what's what's the plan. He's like, you know, my wife and kid have just been traveling with me and we're gonna get where. This was before the Florida Swing. He's like, I'm excited to get to Florida because we have just this like airbnb rental house that I booked and we're going to live out of that for like the next you know, couple months. And and you think about this is this is one of the fifty best players in the world at that time, and he's just his whole future in life is in flux as to whether, like he doesn't know where he's going to play, he doesn't know where he's going to live, and you know, and at that time, like he did not have a good start to his US Pro career. You know, he really didn't have a very good start until last year when he won them. I mean, he was playing the Myrtle Beach you know, opposite field event last year he won that, and then he wins in Canada and it kind of reasserts him as this, you know, player that gets into all the top tier events. But you think about this whole journey and this is this is a guy that's in his mid thirties who's in the top fifty in the world. But his entire future and like understanding of where life was in a moment where you want to have, you know, like a solid structure of life with a young kid, is completely in flux. And I think that's like kind of the the and flows of his particular career that is fascinating to be is that you know, he go. Every time he goes to a new tour, there's like a dip and then a rise back up, and you know, he's he's just a competitor. And I think that I think you saw a lot of guys fade in the moment and when you you know, if you go watch the clip I posted from when I had him on the on the Fried Egg pod earlier, what he said he turned to golf because he missed competition. He was missing competing. And if I said one like the one quality he hits it far, he hits it good, he puts it good, he's he's got a you know, serviceable short game. The number one quality that came out on the back line to day was he was he competed harder than I think almost everybody else on that board.
Speaker 4: Through bad breaks, through when through Yeah, it just played his nuts off when it mattered and then when it a place where a lot of players were not doing so. I thought it was interesting with his lineage obviously like he's a late bloomer on golf or an atypical path to golf, but like, can we not make a mistake about this that he comes from like insane athletic stock so like, you know, it's not like.
Speaker 3: Exactly well he was.
Speaker 4: He had like he was working with like a lot, like a lot of full deck to begin with. It's not no matter when he took up golf. Like, he also has a very unique genes that he was working with that not everybody can just say, you know, take it up when you're seventeen.
Speaker 3: I've been told by numerous people he always downplaced his dad in New Zealand. His dad is like a god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I thought he had some cool quotes about like, look, I think he might have had concussion issues. Is that like he was like targeted for being you know, this legends kid right in rugby and contact sports, And uh, I thought it was interesting that he's like, there was never any pressure on me. There was no pressure for my parents to be like, you know, essentially Bronni of rugby. I don't know that Lebron put that on Bronni. I don't want to go there. And Lebron's perfect human being in my.
Speaker 3: World, but Cleveland cav it sounds like, uh yeah, but I about Luca out there from out out of the Lebron shadow out there watching golfing.
Speaker 4: That was kind of random. It was weird. Why is he personal?
Speaker 3: Talking about that? Yesterday?
Speaker 4: Some some chap with the accent. I could not understand it all kept asking me if he was out there today Luca do I was who what Luke I was? And finally he's like the NBA player And I was like, no, no, I don't think he's back for a second day. Anyways, you just said he had no pressure of his parents to be like I have to do rugby because my dad is a rugby or my my grandfather was a cricketer. I need to be a cricketer. And that's kind of the ideal way to grow up. And he obviously had incredible genes. He was working with a couple more foxy clean up things. He obviously picked up strokes on every single shot on eighteen, which is amazing, like a good chunk of strokes. He said his nerves, his hands were shaking, talking about competitor who's also feeling it, like his pant legs in the wind. See my pant legs flap. That's how my hands were. I think he said that on Sky. So he's recovery at fifteen one, I'm the championship. He talked about the one thing with his dad. He's like, my dad is awful when he's not in control, like when he's not the person on the athletic field, Like he's a disaster, like a mess. So I'm sure he was a mess because he's when he can't have control. I'm like that. I mean, obviously we probably all are right we're watching our kids and playing.
Speaker 3: I noticed this with caddying. If I like Caddie for a friend in an amateur event, I'm more nervous than I if I'm playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. He had some good stuff about links golf too, because he'd won the dun Hill just like hitting improper shots, What did you think was his Like, best shot was the birdie on sixteen, nodding up on sixteen after the fifty.
Speaker 3: You know, it's hard, it's hard to say what the best shot was. I think you could make a real real case for the chip on fifteen, the chip shot on fifteen, or the chip shot on fourteen. I mean the chip shot on fifteen so hard because like your world's spinning. You know, after you get the bad break, you've worked your ass off, worked your ass off to get into the lead, you know, and you know at that point that you're giving it away and you're going to have to work your ass off again to get back there. And for him, I think that chip had all he had, all the green in the world to work with. But it's such an easy chip to leave fifteen feet short and to be able to hit that to where it was easy, easy up and in. And then I think the other shot that I mean, there's a couple of shots. I mean, the the shots that stayed out to be are the second shot I'm seventeen, that would that would have been like a really easy place to hit a really bad shot, like a really bad shot just because of how awkward that was. And then the shot on eighteen. I thought, that's a lot of shots. Yeah, I mean, there's so many. That's what I said, though at the beginning is from thirteen on. He didn't really miss.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't see where his second shot on seventeen ended up. I saw where it ended up, and I come up there and I watch him. I didn't see him hit because I decided looked.
Speaker 3: Out and because he's so fast.
Speaker 4: That's why I wanted to bring up, like everybody's talking about it, when you're there in person, it's insane how fast he's playing, whether it's putting, and definitely on the full, the shots, the wedges. What a weekend for the rules of golf and pace of play. The nature may be healing. We may be shouting about it and tweeting about it for the better part of ten years and just had our weekend in the sun with you know, boys manipulating their lives and matting things down and then pace and play proving being rewarded justly in the ed incredible stuff.
Speaker 3: So full, we'll get to the coverage. But NBC on eighteen they just like they had no shot at setting up the moment because he hit it so fast. No leg up. Tweeted he hit the putt in twenty two seconds, and then followed up with I can't even get a tweet off in twenty two seconds he had at Winter. But yeah, he's he's amazing. It's amazing how fast he is.
Speaker 4: It's like you're always you're always between one or two clubs and you know the shot you got to hit, and you know it's like I see shot and I hit the shot, and that's how I work, and that's how the brain operates, and just I don't need to overthink it. Uh, it's maybe a lesson for all of us. You don't have to be that fast, but you know it's it's don't need to overcomplicate things.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's bring in KVV, who was out following the final group.
Speaker 4: Let's get him. Let's get him in here.
Speaker 3: Hello boys, Storia, you ready for it to be over?
Speaker 5: At the Dream Week, I heard a rumor that that some reporters had to take down some tweets about the media.
Speaker 4: There there's a sensitivity that's that's now present about.
Speaker 6: To can I just I heard rumors you can confirm or deny. I heard rumors of Lasagna today in a touching tribute to Sergio Garcia.
Speaker 5: I walked past there briefly. There was some steak pie. I did have my first steak pie of the week. It was good. I will say that today the food was marginally better. But Brennan and I found this secret out there terrible.
Speaker 4: Don't do that much track.
Speaker 5: Listen, you know what it was. Here's I think I will say this. There's always a choice at major championships about who are you going to follow, and it's very hard to figure that out. Brendan and I went out and we watched Cam Young on eighteen. We watched him hit the chip that got It looked like it was going in the entire way. I can just imagine Pja just dying as it was creeping towards the hole. And then we after Kim made that boat, we kind of had a discussion and we were like, well, where do you want to go?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: And I was like, wow, you should take Scottie and I'll take Sam Burns, I guess. And as I was fucking way, as I got to Foxy and Burns and the Scotty, things started happening on the other side of the course and I knew Parth was there. I was really happy for him, but I was so jealous. I was like, man, he got the good end of the draw. This is so unfair. And it prompted a whole discussion with me and Shane Ryan Golf Digest about have you ever been in a major and missed like the really cool thing, like you just were somewhere else on the course whatever, And I smell like the whole hole kind of sulking, you know. It was. I got there right at eleven when when Fox made a bogey from hitting kind of a weak shot, right, and he couldn't get up and down and Burns wasn't doing anything, and I was like, man, this this group has no juice. This stinks. And then it just all hell broke loose and I was like, well, this is awesome. I absolutely got the best end of the deal. So it was a really fun like final hour, but I was I was briefly like, man, this stinks. I'm Brendan got all the good stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, you inevitably when you go out no matter what, because there's always lulls and golf rounds, you know where where the players you're watching are making pars no matter what. When you're looking at the leaderboard, you're you're getting fomo that you're not somewhere else at all times. And it takes real perseverance and and and patience to to see your cask out.
Speaker 5: Stick with it. When we said PGA to followed Ben Griffin at the Ryder Cup and then it was like all coming down to pg's match, I thought, well, maybe this is my moment here, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and it did.
Speaker 3: It turned out to be that it did.
Speaker 4: You got it. I honestly, Kevin, I thought like you couldn't really go wrong today and you can, We'll get to you. I felt like I had a Forest Gump kind of day where I was just dropping. I got this is such a fun day.
Speaker 5: Tell me to go.
Speaker 4: I got seen of Tommy Fleewood. I talked to Patrick Creedive for his takes on Bryson like a rory. I got Scottie up, up and down, Scott in the front, Scott in the back at the right time, and then you got we got burns and Foxy, I don't know. I thought there was a ton of stuff out there, and that's why I thought it was a good championship. Uh follow the let's stuck out to you.
Speaker 5: I think, uh it was. You know, sometimes it's hard to see like what's going on, especially at Birkdale, because the dunes are kind of everywhere, and so they make and they make you stand in these awkward places. Sometimes they can't quite tell and so I'm fifteen. It was really unclear like how bad his shot was. And Foxy had a great thing in the press conference afterwards, and he was like he was kind of on the same line. He couldn't quite tell like how bad it was, and he said he could see Thomas Leavey up there and Rad r Riiley and he could see them like walk into the bunker and he's like, usually when the encourse reporters they walk past the bunker, if they just look down and keep going, you know, you're fine and you're good. And he's like, I saw like Levey get down in there and then like stop and then like really look down in there. And I was like he said to my caddy. I was like, whoa, this is bad. We're in bad shape.
Speaker 4: Here, like trying to figure out how this substance.
Speaker 5: And then just like so fast. I mean, there was so many decisions throughout that final round where I was like, this would take this would add another thirty minutes or forty minutes to this round if this were anyone else. But he would just literally step up and you know, take one look and take a swing. And the shot that he hit, you know, into thirteen when he made birdie there was really really great and he hit a monster drive down there, and the chip I mean, I was like I could barely get into positions sometimes before the ball was already flying across the green with both him and Burns. And the last putt I think I'll remember forever, because it was truly like the crowd had not stopped clapping for Burns's putt when the winning putt, Like, I mean, nice of Burns to put out and let you know, clear the stage and basically be like, here, you have a chance to win the Open Championship, So I'll clean up my par putt, which is probably worth like, you know, a million dollars. I'll just kind of clean that up. And then the ball was like it was one step in and it was going towards the hole, and I just I was so kind of like it's golf can be such a mental thing and you watch so many players agonize over it, think through it, and it just was so refreshing to see someone who absolutely was like, you know what, Fate's going to decide this anyway, so let's just go.
Speaker 3: There's something to every sport. Everybody talks about how tough golf is, and I think like one of the reasons that golf is so difficult compared to a lot of other athletic endeavors is is this not reactionary, meaning like it's not like ball coming at me, make a split second decision and react right, And golf is this thing where you have time to think about it. You know, he's talking about the ball going in the bunker and knowing it might be a bad shape because the way the encourse reporters looked at it. And do you think about like golf like in terms of it gets more and more difficult more you dwell over things. And his kind of idea of looking at it, getting the number, figuring out what it's going to be, and pulling the club and hitting like kind of takes some of that out of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get a great quote early on in Presimas today where he said I didn't know how I was going to feel today, and like early on in the round he I turned to my caddy and I said, you know, I kind of feel better than I thought I might feel. And he just kind of kept getting more and more comfortable. But at the same time he was really honest about that putt on eighteen. He was like, I had no feeling in my hands. They were shaking the way that my pant legs were shaking blowing in the wind, that's how much they were shaking. And I have no idea how I hit that put straight, but I just sent it towards the whole hoping that I wouldn't have a putt that was that far coming back if I missed, and it was pretty cool to see it go in Ah though. Holy cow, what a way to win an over championship. You know what, Bob Harrik have one more thing about this. Bob Harrig told me a great stat. If he's the thirteen eighth straight first time Open Championship winner, it dates all the way back to Ernie Els, that we had someone win the Open Championship who had not won it.
Speaker 4: Well, twenty twelve, Ernie Els.
Speaker 3: That live them really class the last great Open player, last.
Speaker 5: Plan, Andy, you should be here, Burman Fast, he could have contended here.
Speaker 3: He's he's got more important things to do, like building courses in Portugal or something. Now Orkan his foundation. He's still in picking grapes. Yeah yeah, watching this peers light themselves on fire is what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Uh, Kevin? What else from the from your day out there? Following the last group, we should just do away with burns. Now we're talking about burns, I should say, well, you know, can you.
Speaker 3: Bring us to our first storyline that nobody's talking about?
Speaker 4: What Sergeant Sergeant Sam, what happened to sergeants god.
Speaker 3: Behavior struggles in his first start with his new role in Consabladies.
Speaker 5: You know, young Jepine needs to grow into the job.
Speaker 4: It was there for him, like, come on, you shot lead. Just you know, we all sat on this podcast last night. I think we all picked Sam Burns. We're like, look, he's played extremely well in multiple Sundays. He just hasn't started from the lead. He's doing it, sorry, from the lead and showing his metal on Sundays. That's a good combo. And no, he did not play his best Kevin, I know you tweeted about it, but but but Foxy was a fusion in his praise. Or Burne said, you know, look, he's like one of the best kids, the best players. They're both fast, both played really fast, like his time will come. When he was this was after his press conference, Bert fox he was like, look he will. He will absolutely get one. Anything about Burns either impressed you or kind of leave you wanting.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was just was a true class acts tour. I mean, when's the last time you saw major champion make a winning putt? And then the first that he celebrates with is the guy who I mean Dinzar with his caddy, Like he literally just goes over there and burns is like literally like clapping as the putt kind of you know, as he's walking towards it. Like I thought it was cool that Sam was able to sort of have recognize how cool that moment was, almost like he had become a fan in that moment and just be like, man, a guy just made a putt to win the ten foot or whatever to win the Open Championship. I'm gonna give him his his love, even though I'm feeling absolutely devastated, and I think, I don't know, I think some of the scenes when peat guys lose the Open Championships are the most real and human in all of sports. It just and so I watched him and Cam Young like kind of walk away and sort of let it all settle in, And it was almost kind of haunting, man, because it's like Cam Young and some of the probably saw the clip of him on the driving range, like when he heard the huge roar go up and he just sort of quietly like put his headcover back on his driver and kind of shook hands with your people and then just started walking away. It was like, what a what a hard thing to have to swallow knowing that you're you had a chip that was, you know, an inch away from straight up probably winning the Open championship, and now you're just you don't actually even get to to have a playoff. It was it was unbelievably like real. Uh. I think as a way I would describe it.
Speaker 4: It's a long walk in view from the home scorin area all the way back to their like temporary locker room, and they kind of he was fine. It just looked like sort of was kind of slunking away and felt bad for him. Burns allegedly was emotional again and scoring or on the TV broadcast, which we didn't see. So all right, Kevin, anything else?
Speaker 3: I think though with that, with Burns and Cam, who have now both had real close calls multiple times, you know, kind of the parting message is always and it's got to be what Rory said after l a cc as, I'd take ye million Sunday.
Speaker 5: One of.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, it hurts. And like the thing about golf and is there's these just like micro moments and you just will sit and stew with them for you know, he's you know, for Burns and for Cam Young for Lucas Herbert, like there are gonna be these moments from this tournament that they think about for like the rest of their life, like decisions, shots, bounces. But this is all like part you just you just want to have a ticket and be in the dance at the end and have have a chance for you to hit the shots. And you know, for Burns today, it just just didn't feel like he ever hit the shots that we've kind of become started to become more accustomed to seeing them hit on Sunday, especially at Shinnacock, and I thought the one, you know where he just couldn't get the putts to to follow. But like the shot he hit on fifteen could have been that like kind of lightning rod moment that that sparked him. But then he doesn't make the putt and that's like the tricky thing. And we saw Scotty do it all week long, is hit the shots. But you have to pay him off in golf. And that's what Ryan Fox did, was he paid off all of the big all really the big moments coming down the stretch, with the exception of seventeen, every time he had a chance, he saw blood in the water. And he struck him, and that's the difference. He went out and won the damn tournament.
Speaker 5: I think the only takeaway I would say about Burns just is like, you know, we always hear like the best is the best putter on the PGA Tour. This guy like he's he's really great at putting, and it just feels a lot like those that doesn't show up on Sundays at a major. And I that's the one thing that's like it's almost like the expectations are set for like, man, when are you going to make one of these like huge, huge putts? And you know, maybe you know, I didn't follow final around you it's open. You know, I was with Wyndham and and Scotti, but it just felt like cut you know, I don't know. That's what I kept thinking all day. My other takeaway Brennan is just like Brokedale's a great open venue. I think from everything from like the train station is literally right here, like there you get a lot of fans there, there's walkable things within town, like we get an exciting open championship. I didn't love that there was so many like sixty two's, but I think overall, like Brokedale's really held up in history as like a good place to hold an open and I'll be ready to come back here in ten years.
Speaker 4: Every version of Burkedale will say the real quick.
Speaker 3: I just I'd be remiss if we didn't talk about this. I think not not enough. I'm just seeing the early discourse has been made of Fox backing up is sixty two at a really hard day with the same shooting.
Speaker 4: That was the one thing I wanted to bring up is I I'm glad you did it. It's like when that guy, when we see those sixty twos, it's kind of like, all right, cool, nice. I mean it's you know, Ricky at the first round of LA It just feels like sort of a footnote in a week or a memorable like trivia question. And yeah, it's a great point. Andy, is is that like he converted on the sixty two like and that that to me is sort of the payoff of those last six holes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh and then and then birds obviously he had the sixty two on Friday, sixty five on Saturday, and then you know, it's kind of what we said on last night is you know, the birds of this challenge is like can you shoot another good round?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Can you shoot another sixty eighty? You know, what he needed was a seventy to be in the playoff. But that's it's just tall task, like you know, it's it's hard to play, you know, unless you're Tommy Fleetwood shoot four rounds in the six rounds.
Speaker 5: He's like the only player in the field to break bar every.
Speaker 3: Day, Tommy, you know. Or storyline nobody's talking about is Fleetwood inspires generations has come with us? Bertie on eighteen?
Speaker 4: Uh no't walk off, Bertie? There you go? What's wrong with that?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: To that point and the Ry quote about one hundred sundays or a thousand sundays like this, I mean, do you think that's a universal mindset? I think Roy is pretty unique in his resilience or optimism. I don't think he's you know, completely unique, But I think some guys are broken by the chances of winning and don't want that anymore or don't approach that anymore. And I'm not saying that you under Sam Burns in this instance, but I don't know if that's a that's constant.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, Brendan and I just I talked to Billy Foster today for a thing that we're going to write next week, because it was as forty first Open as a caddy, and so we were talking through some of this stuff and he said, you know, he took me through like losing the Open championship with Thomas Bjorn and he was like, it haunts me to this day. I think about it every day. Wow, that is like such a real, real, honest quote, and I think that's totally true. Some guys never get over it. When they didn't it goes with obviously that's a caddy. But man, that's what makes this kind of tension coming down the stretch so compelling, because you know, one guy's going to be devastated and sitting alone in his car an hour from now and just be like what happened? How did it all go wrong? And someone's going to have their name on a trophy that's been around for one hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 3: You know, with that moment, right, and this is just a universal golfing. This is what everybody who plays golf, and even just in a match with buddies, it feels pretty much the same, you know, it feels like maybe just like slightly different, if you're in the mix but you're standing over putts that batter coming down the match and you don't want to lose your buddy. Is like those are the moments. That's that's what makes golf incredible. And it's you know, it is like it accepting, like there is like a certain mindset that you have to take on those on those moments where you have to say like, okay, I'm here and I like one thing I thought about Fox with this press conference talking that was like great advice for everybody was He's like, probably saw how deep I was breathing throughout it. It's like it is just about making sure you're you're breathing deep, making sure you're wiggling your toes and you're and you you know, more importantly, are are understanding of the moment and your ability to do something great in the moment rather than loathing and thinking about the things that can go wrong in the moment. And it's such a hard thing to and it's you know, doubt, God, doubt is just an enemy of everybody and all aspects of life. But golf, more so than anything else, is is just riddled like everywhere you turns your your head is riddled with doubt.
Speaker 5: Yep, good Will said, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Kevin, you're gonna be writing eloquently about Ryan Fox tonight and other things of our experience from UH at Birkdale. Thank you for joining us subscribing to Friday newsletter. I do know, uh, Kevin and I will be on our way to heath Throw tomorrow and a nice little Mercedes Benz, I you know, Foxy. When he finished up, said this was off to the side the scrum after his press conference was done. What are you gonna drink? Is gonna be lots of red wine? He said in the Claire Jog A lot of red wine, A lot of grape, said the say grip. He said, red wine like a normal human being and a lot of redline. Is that I got a flight at seven am tomorrow or seven tomorrow? Is like I don't know if it's going to stay. There might be changing, So I don't know what is mode or time of transportation will be tomorrow. But I do know I think that jug was going home tonight and Mercedes Benz and you could check those out and it'll be safe in it too.
Speaker 3: Because of the Mbuxai driver profiles.
Speaker 4: I wonder if the Mbuxai can tell if the oldest Championship golf trophy is in the car. It gets a little extra safe given some of the cargo. But from compact to powerhouse, Mercedes Benz offers a variety of SUVs with flowing lines of precise edges, balancing elegance with aerodynamics. You can customize your driver driving experience through the vast array of interior and exterior options or the hundreds of the in vehicle settings that can be personalized to best fit your needs. They have the MBX mbux Ai learning capabilities that recognize your habits and driving preferences to create driver profiles unique to each driver. You can experience the power, precision, and versatility of them. The Mercedes Benz SUVs at nbusa dot com UH enhance every aspect of your game with the Mercedes Benz Suv from the massage sheets to ambient lighting. They level up every ride. They're proud to be an official patron of the Open Championship and we thank them for supporting our work this week.
Speaker 3: Ech Man, where do you want to go next? I mean, I think we got to talk about what you witnessed. The sheriff, who I mean sky shuffler. It's gonna kick himself about it not winning this one.
Speaker 4: I uh. I was walking with somebody else and he hit it close at nine and I was like, I gotta go in. It's like, you don't want to stay here. It's like, I just watch him miss another six footer and he did miss. He missed one on eight, he missed one on nine.
Speaker 3: They were bad. I mean.
Speaker 4: Ed did yesterday and had a chance. He had a chance in the final hour thanks a little bit to an all world Bertie. I was just hoping and praying that would end up being like even more consequential than it was an insane Bertie. After hitting it off the planet at seventeen, he hits a drive that you know, it's cutting, he's said, or slicing, and gets hung up and the rough the Schmutz going just short of like a blowout bunker on a dude there on the left side, and he is hot. I was about seventy yards ahead on a forward tee and I was looking forward at the drive out of the fairway, and I hear him screaming from seventy yards like screaming, and already the loudness of a tournament, whether it's ambient noise or fans. I was like, whoa, what happened there? You ended up catching it on sky and tweeting it. So he gets hut up in the rough. He's not happy that the police were they were you know, affecting, you know, pepper spraying and and you know they were pissed off at that point, the fair police they were, they were out there pepper spraying and using tasers when he got caught up in the rough. One, how why how does that hang up? He's screaming.
Speaker 3: It seems like him is damn we're talking about about Link Scoff all week together.
Speaker 4: What do you mean just with the like the running theme of their comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just probably were sitting in their rental house complaining all week.
Speaker 4: Why wait, that's so unfair. Why do you think Scotty hates Links Golf for complaints about he's a raining Open Champions talked about.
Speaker 3: You did all these drivers that should have been in the fairway that weren't.
Speaker 4: He did say that. He did say that.
Speaker 3: I can't easy that port Rush port Rush to be at this point to then no where like I felt going into port RuSHA the real test was like, can you put these links greens? And this this year was like a huge step back in that. And in terms of just I don't know what it is about links golf in the greens, it seems like it really buffuddles.
Speaker 4: And bort Rush does have some of the more I don't know what, I call it normal ish, yeah, like more akin to normal greens for him, less links, even though it is absolutely a links course. So he he's in a goofy spot. He's got to go for broke. He's going for broke right, he needs to go. Bertie's sixteen needs to go in theory maybe eagle Birdie play like the last four get from six to ten. So he even talks about hating driver off the deck. He gets out his club I would say mashed down, but he put it behind the ball. The driver off the deck, he was not he was very careful, not legend anything here, don't don't giggle. And then he hits a doesn't hit the wood and it just is immediately miles my left, I mean Ted Scott comes running off the dune to like trying to figure out where it's.
Speaker 3: Going left of Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 4: I was right there behind him. And I thought it was an illusion, like there's no way that went that way that far. He hits a provisional talking to the referee and then goes and fine goes in marching to his ball and way left behind Clarence the two story hospitality arrangement with some I'm sure, no doubt dopey slogan on the side of it about greatness lives in these dunes or something, and so it goes marching off. It was interesting. I don't know if this is on TV. He walked past his dad, who was right there in the crowd, and they had like a moment like balls over here, right, and yeah, like nodded. I don't know what was said, and it was just like kind of a cordial, funny exchange. Is like his dad was one of the persons he walked right by, and I was bouncing behind this hospitality suite and we're like in amongst the kegs and these servers and these security guards who don't like all the fans are just like coming in because there's no security over there.
Speaker 3: And John Wood is upright, John at the guy with the beer while they're making the rule.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I mean I was all I was right, there isn't it And the rules official did a did a nice job. I thought he got got a big commendation from the like chief referee Mark Litton, who I talked to afterwards for getting the I don't know, being expedient and getting the right rule down. So they find him, they find they do not find the ball, and he's talking to this referee who I think was Spanish because he was talking Spanish with a by a stare earlier in the round and uh, and Scott is chatting over things, and up in the up in the schmutz the thicket is John Wood and I think another person a security guy, the usher Brucey, who he called who's had the last couple of years. And it didn't look like fun, like you're getting caught in the you know, bramble bushes. He goes, yeah, we don't want to find it. Stop stop, stop looking. We don't want to find it. And he says this on the record afterward, because if they find it, he then he then will have to take relief the nearer side of where the ball is, which would have been according I talked to Mark Litton, who was the same guy who was out there on five with with Bryson on Friday and Shackelford asked him, or Shackford talked to him. He was like, I bet you're ready for this week to be over. This Litton guy's like, yeah, crazy week. And I talked to He's like, well, if they've found it, he'd have to take relief on the near side, it would have been a shit show. It's in some schmutz over by eighteen getting yardage super blind. Probably. Instead, they purpose they purposely stop looking for the ball. They do not find it, but they are quote virtually certain that it is in there, and if it is in there, then he would be.
Speaker 3: It seems it seemed like they were pretty it was in there. And on the other side.
Speaker 4: You mean where he would higher up, farther up towards the junk. Yeah, So because they're virtually certain it's there, he then gets the TiO relief as if it's there. But because it was not found, he can choose or they choose the point of entry. Now, the point of entry is just a nice little wet shot up to the elevated green, and of course they take the drop to get on the other side of TiO. They find a nice little lie and the mix of Hay and Ted Scott was very Ted Scott was, you know, calling the plays on the drop zone, where to wear the little inch by inch centimeters to drop it, get that hay out of there, make sure it's not too sandy, and so they purposely don't look for it. They'd stop looking for it. He gets to pick the point of entry. He gets kind of a nice, pretty nice little web shot line, hits a great web shot to his credit and makes the punt, and she makes the four. So he hit an awful, awful, awful shot into the into the miles left, and there's zero penalty for it.
Speaker 3: And not not one shot, two shots miles left.
Speaker 4: He did his provisional, which just who knows. And there's the point. The problem is, like on paper and sensibility, this just this does doesn't seem quote fair, It doesn't seem justified, doesn't seem commensurate with the shot. But he was bailed out by this TiO and there's virtually certain rule. And then did you have this extra topping seasoning of the don't look for it that gets him a further advantage. And I think it's just left the bad taste in everybody's mouth for me personally being in the thick of it, like behind the hospitality and on top of him when he was making his drop and shot. Ah, it was delightful. I'll never forget it. And I was in and out of service and I come back to you and Joseph texting like the end of the world is happening, and I this Litton the rules officials like he was incredulous, like he's one lucky boy that if that had if they have not found it, like he didn't say he was screwed, but it was going to be. It was a way worse option going to the nearer side of where it was found from the TiO like he is very he was like very happy. He should be very happy they didn't find it. And he gave the Spanish or the walking referee like a ton of credit for how fast he adjudicated and got it done and did the right ruling. It was the correct ruling on paper, Was it the correct ruling spirit to you?
Speaker 3: No, No, it was a total disgrace. The fact that like I love that people are like, well, they found the ball and this was the drop. No, they didn't find the ball. He was they instructed him not to find the ball, and like there is like this whole presumption of like, okay, like we're going to assume it went in there. But then, you know, the thing I found interesting is there's two drop points, and we're just giving him the better drop point if we're assuming, if we're assuming when somebody hits it a mile offline and it went in too there even though we haven't found it, Okay, I'm I'm I think I might be able to get there, might be able to get there. With that, we're just gonna assume that it goes in there. But then to give him the good drop point when he just hit one of the worst shots I've ever seen him hit in his life, to where it was like, oh, like if I had just laid up, I would have had an equally good shot. So I got basically a free attempt to hit it at the green and with it try and hit it in two. And instead I get over there and I get this free drop point. The drop point should have been in the bad spot, And I don't know, I'm curious if Bryson had done the same thing, what do you think the reaction would have been? This is what Joseph and I were were wondering.
Speaker 4: I kind of they did everything right on paper. I think TiO is sort of a disgrace and has been.
Speaker 3: Cio is such a disgrace.
Speaker 4: That's that's sort of the issue. I like, And you're bailing him out, like he didn't lay up because he has to go for broke. That's the context. He his two holes up in his championship and he thinks he has to get to nine or ten under, and so he's going for it, and that's why he doesn't lay up to the web shot that he ended up getting. I think if Bryson was doing it, we would have been were people furious about this? If I misreading the reaction, we're people really upset about it. I think I think we would have been doing the same, but like it wouldn't have been untoward or illegal. They did the right thing. I don't think it would have been changed much. He would have been like, oh, maybe more people who hate Bryson would have been like that lucky sob and stuff like that, But I don't think it would have changed much. It sounds like we're people furious on Twitter.
Speaker 3: We're furious. I think I think they I don't. I don't know if Bryson would have gotten the same treatment. I think the drop, the whole drop thing, I don't think. I think the double assumption is such bullshit, frankly speaking, So we're just going to take some volunteers word that it went in here. Okay, I'll I'll accept that, But we're also going to take we're going to assume that it went in on the point that's most favorable to the player is total horseshiph.
Speaker 4: It's it's not as bad as the one of the sony find a backboard and they send it over. The send it.
Speaker 7: Over the backboard.
Speaker 3: If you don't find it, you should have to go to the bad area. Is the way the rules should work.
Speaker 4: You hit a ball so bad it was lost.
Speaker 3: Like my other question about t i oh is like why is the why is the lost ball rule null and void? Why?
Speaker 4: That's your question that needs to be asked.
Speaker 8: Yeah, actually have a way better chance of finding it if you hit it into TiO.
Speaker 3: Then if you hit it into a gorse bush. But if I hit it into a gorse bush, I have I get a lost ball, even though I saw it go in there, I don't get a free drop out of a gorse bush like that. That's my my. I have no issue with what Scottie Scheffler did. I have a lot of issue with the rule and how it's been, how it's always administered in pro golf. And we saw that the way that unfolded almost completely changed the championship where a competitor hit one of the worst shots of their career, made a terrible decision, hit one of the worst shots of their career, and then was rewarded with a simple pitchin putt birdie that then gave him a chance to win the Open Championship.
Speaker 4: I mean that was the context as well, is like he can cashed. He cashed it, cashed in on it, and we don't know that ten is gonna win. We think, like, holy shit, this might be one of the worst shots of his career, that that could lead to him at least getting to a playoff. Yeah, it was. It was a circus and I'm glad we got a dose of it we needed. We needed an injection of that kind of intrigue, anger, feur and debate and drama in the final route.
Speaker 3: Over our Scotty though, what a what a rough week. The sad thing too, is he's gonna go. He's about to go on a tear. He's hitting a good barnstorm through. He's gonna win a bunch more. But what a tough tough spot here for Scotty going going bagel boy. It makes the Scottie Shuffler. Honestly, it makes Scotty Scheffler way more interesting that he did not get a major this year.
Speaker 6: If for some reason you still have Scott available in one and done, I think the three M is setting up wonderfully.
Speaker 4: I think I d the save it for the twenty five million dollar FedEx Cup events too. Maybe he's gonna go and make Hay there.
Speaker 3: Scott.
Speaker 4: He had some comments too as well. After the round. He said, we need to be policing policing guys about the Bryson drop a little bit more. I think we need to be a little bit more strict in the way that we are policing guys, because I think that he like swerved out of his way to say Bryson's not a cheater. We'll talk about Bryson, We'll clean up there a little bit. But why are all these guys like, I mean, you talked about last night Rory sort of putting it out there. I'm saying, you know, I found a Bryson. I think he did what he did. I think he's performative. And the way he acted on Friday Night, why did these guys feel like they need to go out of their way to defend Bryce? Not defense, but but just throw it extra cookie to Bryson, to Shambeau and say, he's never been a cheater I've known in my life. It's not his nature. Like it's unsolicited. Just give it take. Let's be honest with Like, can we just be honest with ourselves. A lot of people don't like Bryson to shambo on tour and otherwise they think he's a phony, and they might be right, and we could just say that and that doesn't mean he's a bad golfer or necessarily even a bad person, but he's inauthentic, and for our sake, it's hilarious. I find it comical when he does these, you know, he goes through these phases of you know, just I'm the people's golfer, now, you know, or there's a grievance golfer, like he's a phony and I just one of the biggest, most symbolic things of the weekend was I saw he threw a ball to a kid walking from nine Green to ten Bryson yesterday, and the kid got the ball and this camera guy for either Sky, NBC or Open or something went to him. It made him stage this scene of like, smile, hold the ball, and the cameraman is like tilting the ball perfectly in his hand with like I don't know so you can see it the logo or something, and smile. You have to start smiling and wave right now, start smiling, wave and the camera And it felt like so a piece of the Bryce that they because it was just completely manufactured and it wasn't Bryson himself making all this, but this is the Bryson verse where everything feels a little manufactured. I just felt that necessary for Scotti, who I think clearly seems upset that they're not policing this more strictly whether he thinks Bryson did intentionally or not to go out of his way to just defend him all the time. Bryson's great. I think he's for content, but like clearly he's just.
Speaker 3: It's the pros way of of of of a you know, the the Larry David having said that, you know where you start with, like, I'm I'm a huge fan. You know Bryce, this isn't in the spirit of Bryson having said that, you know, Bryson would never treat Cheep, having said that we need the police more. I this is a way to cover bases. None of these people want awkward moments in the locker room.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's the thing.
Speaker 4: Why can't like, if everybody feels a certain not everybody if you feel a certain way, why do you go out of your way to say the opposite? At least just be moot. It's bizarre. It's bizarre anyways, Uh do you think any of this starts to compound with Scotty the you know T threes, the T fives of majors, the you know the ball that gets caught up up in the rough, you know, the one bad hole there's a bad shot, get a bad break, and these are all these close but no cigars.
Speaker 3: I do I think this this is the way that droughts start happening. You know, winning seems so easy until until it isn't, you know, And I think he's in this phase of like, Okay, there's so many close calls like you could. It could be it could go two ways, right, it could just be like a blip on the radar, or it could lead to him winning way less frequently. I mean, it's crazy to think the guy after the last two years has only won once this year, given how often he's been in the mix. I mean, he's just been sloppy too, Like, let's call a spade a spade, Like he hasn't hit the shots that we've grown accustomed to him hitting in the moments he needs them, whether they're putts or whether they're driver or the great drives that like take advantage of the par fives like I you know, I think that today was his first birdie on seventeen all week, or maybe it was fifth, I can't remember. It was fourteen or seventeen, that he hadn't burdied all week, he had played one of them one over to date, and you just think about it, it's like that that's not Scotty's recipe for just demolishing these fields, and he's just been a little off. You know, he's still the best player in the world, and he's still the most consistent player in the world, but this is the way that mental scar tissue. I think, like that's the thing that I marveled that last year was these moments where he could develop scar tissue never happened. They just he would always win. This year has been just moment after a moment of heartbreaking scar tissue, Like he has to feel this one, I would guess hurts more than any other one this year because this one he absolutely was the best player t degree in the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting a couple of different ways to feeling close. I thought I thought the US Open was a little arming because it was the first time he's ever just like totally a passenger, like never close, just a guy that was a passenger for Wyndham Clark. This was what this was the other way, whereas like you know, he's kind of in the battle all the way around, even with the drop. A very interesting examination as we go to Masters next year. Could win, could win five times between on the Masters, who knows, could win six times, eight times? I don't know, But yes, that he's now at a stage where that's that's sort of I don't want to say we completely judge him by the Majors, but those are those are the big deals for him, for someone of that caliber that wins that much. Any any Rory cleanup you want to go through sort of the other top player in the world of this era.
Speaker 3: I mean talking storyline, nobody's talking about Rory. He's an important role this week, lead negotiator. He finishes T forty, but he plays a pivotal role in freeing the open from hostages. I have to say with Rory, I thought this this week was like the short misses that plagued almost every round. He was missing short putts and at one point I think he missed a short one early today and I was thinking about it. It's like he's missed at least like six putts inside of six feet and he's two hunder right now. He'd be at eight under if it wasn't for those putts. Like when you're really sharp, you just you know, you see this all the time on tours, Like this guy is leading the term and he hasn't missed a putt inside ten feet this week. You know, if you just there's a certain thing with Rory and a player of like Rory's eel. Because Scotti missed a lot of short putts this week too, so he could be in the same bucket like Scotty. I feel like Scotty played well enough from tea to green to win this event by like five or six shots. With Rory, I thought he played well enough to be in in the mix, but he had just like some critical like the first round was just a killer in terms of like he played outstanding golf t degree he had the chip shot on seventeen was killer. All the short misses and then he had a few more short misses peppered in over the weekend, and it's like, there's the term that's the difference between finishing T forty and being you know what we talked about, like all you want to do is have be in the arena on Sunday afternoon, have a shot to win, have a shance Like today's tournament was, it's wide open and whoever plays the best how the back line is going to win. And Ryan Fox did it. And that's the thing with Rory was he was just sloppy and he wasn't wasn't there.
Speaker 4: Uh he had some good shots in the press conference too, not just on the golf course. Those were maybe his best shots of the week Saturday night. Get do you think more people agree with them or disagree with them. It's a very subjective, unanswerable question about the golf things. No about Bryson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think more people agree with him than disagree. He's just the only one that has reached the the don't give a f standing in the game. If this was sounding off, somebody should go to the Champions Store event next week and just get them all to ask them all about Bryson and what they think, because they all they are all at the age or they don't don't don't care what other people think of them.
Speaker 4: I just we all, Okay, Yeah, it's just I don't know. Everybody knows and thinks in a certain way. And I know he has a very rabbit online fan base, but that doesn't mean he's a bad part. It's just clearly phony.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Rory.
Speaker 4: Also, I think unintentionally or maybe intentionally maybe intentionally, sort of didn't gloss the new course changes as good. So it didn't play like a Links course. I'm paraphrasing. All the severe runoffs, the elevated greens. It just basically didn't play. It wasn't Links golf. It was at least a lot less like Links golf compared to being here last time in twenty seventeen seems like an issue if you know, the Links golf course is changed and then it doesn't play like Links golf. This is in Rory's pov. And by the way, I should add, maybe he had some of the most pristine Links conditions you will get in with the with the turf, uh, there wasn't win, but with the turf being what it's what it's been, and and not having some deluge of reign the week of or during the tournament in the summer they've had, it seems like kind of an indictment of the changes. And maybe those changes weren't necessarily made just in talking to some people here, were made were made with the thought that it would be this firm. But then I think that's also an indictment of the changes, because right, I mean, if the golf course and a Links can't play when they get it like perfecto conditions for Links golf firmness, that maybe those aren't great changes either. I personally found the venue to be great. I found some of those holes to be exciting. I know they were architecturally I had came with some controversy and critique, but but some of them were amusing for me and enjoyable.
Speaker 3: I enjoy the week. I I thought the fifteenth hole was humorous and how hard it was and challenging to hit, you know. Overall, I think like the big question I would have if I, if I'm if I, if I'm Mark Darbin and I run the RNA, my question would be, and this is like should be anybody's question, is how many times are we going to hire a group of architects that consistently have to have their work redone after we stage our biggest championship on their new work? And that would be my big question. I don't think their work on on the old course that I saw this year is going to be celebrated next year, which you know, defaming the old course and uh is is just like a whole whole new level of of of of kind of malprectice. And I think, just like to me, the shaping, uh I don't want to talk about this too much, but to me, and it's probably better suited for an article of some sort. The shaping the level of projects that the the architects that are administering this work are getting and the quality of work don't match up as someone who looks at golf architecture quite a bit and visits a lot of the great golf courses in the world, I can unequivocally say that I don't think that the shaping work is up to snuff for for the for the great cathedrals of the game that these people get to work on. And that's an opinion. That's what what I what I think of it. Having seen a good amount of their work, and I would say, like in their praise, like they've done great work at places like Royal County Downs to Antlee Course, I think the work they've done around the Open Rota has been pretty lackluster, and it's just evidenced by all these places redoing the work as soon as the tournament's over.
Speaker 4: Do you think this played well for an Open Championship? I I've obviously been gone off a few times this week about like not having a ton of time to talk about shaping and tie ins and those things. While I understand that there that is a point that should have it, that should be a discourse somewhere. Do you think that they played decently? Rory didn't seem to think so from those comments or suggesting it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe you saw it with like h five, right, we're like, what do you you want to make this drivable? Part four? But like was it really drivable? It was?
Speaker 4: It was like put it in the neighborhood, but not. All you're trying to do is on the front.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think like the other issue with that was like you look at the scatter plots and that you know, this is what they'll say is they can't wait to dive into the scatter plots. It's like, Okay, we created binary decisions. You hit it here or you hit it here, and some of the greatest holes in the world. And like, I think what you're trying to do is like have a lot of gray. It shouldn't just be black or white, right. The golf thrives of the gray. I think the venue is really cool. I enjoyed watching golf here. The conditions yielded, you know, gave it so much pop. But you know, if we had wind, it would have been really spectacular. Yeah. Overall though, like I yeah, like Birkdale, I'm excited to go play it. I think it's it's a shame when somebody works on you know, these golf courses, when they can't get the golf court or the new stuff to look like the old stuff like that. That's kind of part of the job is to get a golf course to feel cohesive together, and you know whatever causing that that misconnect because the work they did at the w of course looks the same way. It's it's like wait a second, like what the hell is that? Like why was that built there? Like why how did this come out?
Speaker 4: Like this?
Speaker 3: Who signed off on this? And I think that's the issue with their work is like frankly, like it just has no quality control. So anyways, I don't want to talk any more about this on this podcast.
Speaker 4: But it was a good championship venue. But maybe there were.
Speaker 3: Some great venue. Great venue.
Speaker 4: You're going to come back, it's going to be here and should be here, and it's the right kind of locale and and I don't know, maybe someone else will work on it, maybe they'll do it differently. I found the finish to be pretty in Sea sighting.
Speaker 3: Bob Max's comments about the golf.
Speaker 4: Course more Gorse any more Gorse bushes.
Speaker 3: Well, he made like you know, like you know, and this is something that architects should think about, is like, Okay, and maybe they'll say there wasn't enough wain or whatever, but you know, effectively, like if you hit it by distance, like I'm paraphrasing Bob mack here, you have to contend with everything. And you know, this is a golf course that spent millions of pounds overhauling the entire golf course. And Bob McIntyre later he's like, you know, basically like if you hit it at a certain distance, you could just bypass all the bunkers, all the hazards, all the issues. And if you're gonna if somebody's going to overhaul the whole golf course, these are things that should be considered. It kind of goes back to like I mean, I don't want to run down the litany of things that have happened, but like, okay, so they redid port Rush and the seventh Green was an utter disaster. It's it got renovated. Right after the nineteen Open Championship. They renovated Hoylake seventeenth hole, brand new golf hole that got blown up. Members were skipping the hole all the word this week out of it was okay, So they renovated the fIF fifteenth yere this week. This year this week and that hole is going to get Everything said pre tournament was that hole is going to get reworked this season, Like how many times does this happen? Like the work they did on the at the old course is a disaster. It looks completely out of place compared to all the other stuff. So it's like, how many times are you going to do this song and or something changes?
Speaker 4: What do you think about?
Speaker 3: You're just flushing down the toilet. The RNA loves to talk about like, oh like, look at all the money we're making for all our initiatives. Look at all the money you're wasting.
Speaker 4: Also, that's that that so that that's the theme from this this this this year, certainly with Mark Darbin on Wednesday, is you know they're Dempster head reporting uh from Scotland that they're changing or would like to change the fifth hole at mirror Field. That for for crowd control so that they can have more fans or crowd flow, not control. And you know we seen that repeatedly here, you know, whether it's from thirteen to fourteen where that was a choke point. I can say like crowd control is tough, it's not good, it's not a good situation, especially when you get dunes land like this and you're like just on the side of these slippery fescue dunes and it is important. And the RNA will say, well, you know, changing the fifth pole a lot we pay for. We'll pay for you know, X amount of programs, whether it's amateur, whether it's grow the game, whether it's opening up golf and new locales and new parts of the world. And we make so much money on this week that we should probably try to change a golf hole on one hundred year old links. It's like they are quick to point that out. And Joel bial had a great article about how has it lost its soul a little bit? And I think that's been a tension at all the main this year. Obviously with the Masters, people got really worked up about the merch halls and the you know what it was a Kevin Hart and all these things that like, and then the US Open had, you know, scaled down quite honestly, like we're going to leave, how lose money and leave millions of dollars on the table scaled down at Hinnacock, and then it became another focus here at the Open about are you changing courses for a one week event, and that one week event is probably doing a lot financially, a lot of financial good for the game that these organizations, especially the USGA and RNA are trying to put, propose and put forth. And then you have the PGA Tour of course taking on a for profit model, so like that has been a theme throughout the year and it feels a little sacrilegious to There's a couple points of view, like people say, like, oh, you are clutching your per rolls and being a complete dork if you're holding onto a golf hole when money made a gate could provide could grow the game or provide champion Like that is the balance that they will put forth. Now, could there be some middle ground where you don't have to change a golf course and figure out how finance things or make more money a different way? Probably that's that sort of the tension that was clear this week, and I think the RNA will cite these are all member driven changes for golf courses, member driven. Member We can't tell members how to change their clubs. It's their their club. But the office rebuttal is like if they want to uphold the open, they can't decide whether the open comes there or not, and sometimes if they want it open.
Speaker 3: There's a reason that Martin Papers and Tom McKenzie work at every single potential open road of course. And if if they if they want to squash the narrative of that that you can host hold an open championship without working with these architects, then they should actually hold an open championship at a golf course that they don't work with.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that was certainly. I don't want to feel like we're talking about this too much, but it we just had an open at a at a golf course to change something on every single hole, more or less member driven or otherwise. And a lot of it was to you know, whether it was to improve play for members, but some of it for sure was to have the open and change the test there. So that was a big theme for the week. What else do you have coming out of this? Do you feel like you want to talk about Bryson anymore? How do you feel like it ended for Bryson? Obviously flamed, fall of Love, blast ball left and the triple.
Speaker 3: Boge that kind of took him completely out of it. It felt like it for a while today was just hanging around and you know, it's like, I think a lot of guys on the leaderboard Bryson. Also, like, if you would have told Bryson that ten under got it done while he was in the middle of his temper tantrum on Friday, I think he probably would have just shut up, conserve some energy and been like, all right, I'll take my penalty and I'm ready to go. You know, I think the scoring had caught a lot of people off guard today, him being one of them.
Speaker 4: The more challenging course conditions. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Also like, I don't know if it's a coincidence that the wind picked up and Bryson got shipped out to see that's the other thing.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the other thing. Now, the port Rush wind last year was so so for an open for port Rush and then it wasn't existent this week, And so we're like, he's cracked the code Links Golf, He's cracked the code. I think probably requires a little closer examination, I don't I Look, we've done a nightly podcast on Bryson. It feels like he's probably the biggest story or most memorable moment taken away from this. We given the comments around it. Is there some sort of longer tail where enforcement changes. Probably not on the PGA tour. I initially thought it was an odd choice to make him make to decide to you know, enforce the rule there. That was my surprise. I don't think it was necessarily ron to penalize him. The one thing I've thought about more as like, the two days have gone on and we did a podcast literally live as it was happening. We started it not knowing it was gonna happen at all. Is how kind of like picking back on it, how silly and like you bid, the whole show afterwards was. And that's just as the week has gone on. It's just like I had a lot of fun with it as someone who talks about this stuff and reading kvv's tweets from the scene, but it was just silly bullshit at the end of the day and not necessary. And you know, if he's a showman and that was a moment to put on a show, so be it. But that's that's sort of the thing that sunk in a little bit more of like that was really stupid. All that stuff afterwards doesn't mean it was harmful or wrong in any way. I just it felt like kind of stupid, It.
Speaker 3: Was silly, I think, like the whole antics of it. I think also the RNA though, was a piece of this too.
Speaker 4: Like what they do just.
Speaker 3: You know, entertaining it is you have just been like, hey, we're this is it, this is the deal. You know, you're you're being penalized, and like the fact they went back out there. I think like there's some like letting the player status case, the wording and the thing about accidental, which I think covers their bases like a lot, you know, if you also protect well, it protected Bryson, that's what it was. And I you know, it's like I don't think you have to, but if you don't put it in there, then people are going to be like, oh, Bryson's a cheater. And I think like what that the the the accidental wording was put in there because they know that this is a common occurrence occurrence in the game of golf, and that people do this all the time, and they did not want to put that stigma on Bryson. Now, like my my greater point was like at a certain point you need to you need to close the door and say hey, you're getting penalized. You can decide if you're playing tomorrow, but we're going to send out tea times.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think the aftermath was a little giffee, and that's sort of the held hostage stuff. I talked to Patrick Read today on the record about it. He ended up saying he thought it was handled correctly in the end, so you just got to be really careful, just you know. Interesting. I thought he was very mature and wide ranging in his comments to me, but you know, obviously he's had to navigate that before. And I also asked, like a handful of people like hey, do you think this is like a big problem or not a big more prevalent and they don't seem to think it is players. I don't think that's a commonly held view that guys are are intentionally or unintentionally. And they would always say unintentional like, oh, you know, you get so locked into your book, or you get locked into like looking around and you might unintentionally step behind, or you think I got that today, or you're you think you're playing one shot one way and you're all of a sudden you're changing directions and you you accidentally did something. So they would never say intentionally. But the reaction was, it's not really a problem as much as you think, as much as Twitter would say, as much as maybe we would say here, why do you think that is because they don't want to go across.
Speaker 3: Just protect it's politics, it's you know, locker room, and I think, like to a certain extent, you have to have the mentality of everybody's out there protecting the field just to deal with the mental strain of of golf. Like I think if you thought the worst of people, then your head would go places when you got there. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think some differences o the professional golfers. You do this every single week. I just Scott I will say this for Scotty's point, he's the one who does seem to think it's a little bit more saying we need to be more strict in the way we're policing this. And maybe that's he just likes to use the word police, but he was somebody that said, like, we need to be more strict about how we're policing it. Well, while the others were like, that's not really a problem. Live manipulation, but this was certainly a big week for that. In a moment that will the reaction of it. Seeing the sort of circus act on Friday probably one of the big takeaways from Burkedal. It certainly added a lot of intrigue for us.
Speaker 3: I mean, it felt like the RNA said, we need to take this more seriously with their penalty, and I thought it, you know, all of a sudden, the way people maneuvered around the ball the rest of the weekend was a lot more like the way that they should maneuver around.
Speaker 5: A golf ball.
Speaker 4: Good on the RNA for standing up. And I don't think the other not necessarily a major or organization or tour would have the stones to do it when it's a star, even if he is controversial or maybe not loved beloved and the star is one shot off the lead. Uh So I do think we should applay, you know, applaud the stones to try and do it, whether you thought it was right or not.
Speaker 3: Anybody that you were today particularly disappointed with that we that we haven't talked about. I wasn't disappointed with Lucas Herbert, I wasn't disappointed with Ryan Girard. I wasn't necessarily disappointed with Sea Wou's fade on the back nine anyone, anyone that that that you didn't thought, didn't raise to the moment.
Speaker 4: It got harder. I would have loved to seeing a little bit more from Tommy Fleetwood. He shot sixty eight. I guess I can't say he like gagged, but that was just felt like another one where if you told them you know, you might have a chance coming down the stretch. He bogies ten and eleven. Those just you can't, I can't do that, like he gets in the mix and then immediately bogi's ten and eleven. I I found the Tommy story to be really compelling, and it sounds like they overdid that on the broadcast, maybe like too many interviews with Tommy. I thought listening to him was really powerful this week. I think you know Tommy for me. You know, they asked him Saturday, like have you thought about this or dreamt about I was like since I was seven years old, Like this is all, this is everything, this is all I've dreampt about, Like this is the best. And I think he walked out of here this week saying like I didn't win, and but this will be an experience, like these people are giving me more than I could ever ask for. You talk oftenly about often about how like for a lot of golfers, this is a job, right, and it's just like they don't necessarily like golf. I think, I think Tommy's pretty well balanced, Like we're all really lucky when like our profession is also our passion, right, Like I don't know if a ton of people are like super passionate about private equity or super passionate about accounting or stuff like that, but some golfers aren't balancing passion and profession anymore either. And I think for Tommy, like that's a pretty that vent diagram is a pretty close to a circle, Like he is passionate about this and this is super rewarding and gives a lot back to him, and he seems to have that perspective. He seems to have that like I love being a golfer, and I love the opportunity to just play here. I love the memory of being able to play here. And so I think he feels really like not too detached from having made so much money and having the life that he has, from being like feeling really really like passionate and fortunate to do this. And so that was one of the big takeaways I watched him roll into whatever sixty foot or ninety foot it depends on who you've read today at one, and it was super cool at the moment. I think, like, I don't know, the live stuff has just gotten so tedious, right, Like I just don't like money, I like don't care anymore. And I I think we've moved a little bit past that with like Rory winning the Masters last year, Aaron Ryes win, like Scottie's soliloquy last year about like why do I, like, I don't know why I do this, like why it's finding finding meaning and why I'm do this and why I want to win these so bad like totally just has nothing to do with the business of golf. And for me, that like really resonated with with with Tommy this week of someone who like I do this because I love it and I feel super fortunate to have these skills. And for me that's been like a notable moment at Majors where it's felt very different from all the other PGA Tour golf and kind of six years of tedium about one live to like how is the PGA Tour changing or restructuring? And so that was something like just listening to however, old man talk about like this is all I've ever dreamed about, and it's been the best to even just be here to realize this in any way, shape or form, this thing that I've thought about for thirty years. So anyways, that's my Tommy soliloquily, I suppose after watching him and listening to him for a lot, but just felt like he could have shown out a little harder on the back nine.
Speaker 3: Eh, it's hard. You got to hit the shots, and it was tough conditions, and you know, frankly, like sometimes you just don't have your A plus A plus game and I don't think he did. He did, and you know when when a major when you don't have it, you know, I think like too much is made of like, oh, you didn't show up when you know, I guess it is your game not showing up. But it's hard to just summon. It's not like you just summon your A game every week.
Speaker 4: And I think there is anybody, anybody for you be a house cat. How about Russ Henley.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you who I was disappointed most and was NBC Uh Tommy roy Uh. If I have to hear him call it described Tommy Roy again. I will, I will, I will use this Open Championship as my my my tape to to say, this is the the opposite of great. What a disaster this week's coverage was for US Americans. You know, I I know about the world Feed. I I feel like I was one of the people that tipped people off of the world Feed option years ago, and this week I was like, I'm just gonna stay committed to watching what everybody you know for the most part of podcast audience watches. This morning, I just couldn't do it again. I felt like I just had no feel of what was going on as commercial after commercial was jammed down my throat, and then like on top of it, like it's a terrible presentation. They were off on graphics, they were off on facts, they had an insane commercial load, and then on top of it, you just don't even get analysis is the other issue coming down? And I'll use this as an example. Coming down the stretch, see what Kim is squarely in the mix and I'm sixteen. He's playing from I think maybe just barely rolled into the short rough great angle. He's playing at his approach shot into sixteen, and that pins stuffed over on the right side of the green and he misses right, and he misses right, and they're like, oh, you missed right, and it's like that's it. And it's like, wait a second, this is one of the most impactful shots of the tournament right there. Could we get a little bit of analysis like that is the worst place he could have missed it. That was a horrible shot under the circumstances. That was a terrible shot and is likely going to cost him the tournament. And sure enough, he chips it to like twenty five feet and I can't remember which whether it was an even or an odd hole. I think it was an even it was an even hole, So I think it was Kissner because he was calling eighteen and he's just like, well, that was a tough spot he was he was in, and you know it wasn't that bad given where he was. Well, you're missed the whole setup of like he literally flushes, like he went for the pin and he and he missed in the exact wrong spot and he flushes tournament chances down the drain with that shot. That's what the discourse should be. So like my issue, my issue, I was texting with a friend about this and and I think like they summed it up really well. Is on top of just every the litany of things I listened before, the analysis is never anything. It's just they're just telling you what you're seeing. There's nothing else there. And that is my issue with NBC. I think this whole thing needs to be blown up. They've got like a lot of like I like a lot of people that work for them. I like Kevin Kistner, I like Bones, I like facts, like I like Smiley. I think they all but all of them together right now is not working and it's like doing it's a total disservice to golf fans. And it's like, look at the golf glow, like, oh, it's growing so much in all these areas. One of the reasons it's not growing, you know, at the same rate in terms of golf coverage, in terms of golf, is that this coverage, this was laughable. It was such an embarras, such an embarrassment, especially like when you compare it to like the way you get to watch soccer, where it's like, oh, like I just like this is like uninterrupted for like thirty minutes. I know you was tracking this. There were six commercial breaks in the last hour in the in the for in thirty three minutes as they were coming down the stretch. Six commercial breaks in thirty three minutes. It was like two shots commercial. It was just Mickey Mouse crap.
Speaker 4: Well I had a blast on the ground. Yeah, I bet I saw it. I would say, you're not really You're not really the boy who cried wolf on the coverage stuff.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I would say, you get worked up occasionally, but very rarely. Are you like declarative and use big words like disaster, embarrassment things like that. I saw a few of your tweets. I was like, Wow, it must be pretty bad if Andy's like going to public with that kind of language, because you save it for when it is bad. I I find that really befuddling. I think they're towards the end of a rights deal here. I know the Open cares a lot about how it's presented in America right now. I think they're sort of befuddled. They're flabbergasted that it's not it needs to be elevated more in America.
Speaker 3: Doesn't sound like real commercial loads unbearable, and then on top of that, the analysis is just so it says, like, I get not wanting to speak over people. I get the idea of golf's a tough, but like you have to give people that are watching something that they say, you know what, I didn't really know that, Like I didn't know that, and that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that sucks because it's like really one of the best majors. It's such a fun major to consume on television and in person. And so I don't know, Mark Darbin's a new chief. I I think their rights are coming up in a couple of years. I know there are some constraints about World feed, but like that's you can still choose the commercials. You got to take the commercials when you know that that's a decision, business decision. And that sounds super frustrating to watch for an event that's so beloved by the golf fans. Golf nuts, right, what's insane to me? People in the boat already?
Speaker 3: What's insane to me as someone who consumes way too much of the Open every year? You know, not way too much. I love watching it four in the morning though, watching but like you know, the telecast gets worse the more the crew gets elevated with this tournament, like Sam Torrence is amazing in the morning, in the early hours of the morning, Furick was great. I think like one of the issues, one of their big issues is that they have way.
Speaker 8: Too many guys, way too many guys, way like this, every other whole thing does not work at all. There's no continuity, there's nothing.
Speaker 3: Like I I think it's actually insane the more I think about the every other hole, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's announced, it.
Speaker 3: Shoot somebody off into the sun. But this was supposed to be some great innovation, like they released this, like this was some amazing innovative, innovative idea. Like can I just make a comparison. Imagine if you were watching a fucking basketball game or a football game and they switched announcers every quarter and the other announcer didn't watch the first quarter and they were trying to call the game.
Speaker 9: This is the most idiotic, on the face decision ever. And I can't believe that we're like three years into this. It's a disaster. It's awful. It's awful, and I I like, this is the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm not. I don't think any of the personal at NBC are to blame. It's the people that are running this, they're putting them out there, that just put them out there to look like a bunch of idiots.
Speaker 2: It's like, who would ever construct the idea that you're gonna watch half the holes but not sequential order, and you're gonna watch the other half of.
Speaker 3: The holes, and and that's the way it's gonna work.
Speaker 4: This is the this is the arrangement where just for clearic Hicks and Kissner called the evens.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 4: It's just insane. It's been that way. It just seems crazy. Maybe try I think Pinehurst was the first one. I don't know, it just I've always wondered, like when did they cut, Like when does it flip when the guy like crosses the T box, are you now in his possession of that call because now he's on an odd Like there's.
Speaker 3: No it would work if any sport, if eddy sport sequentially happened in a vacuum. But the key to all sports is tying the threads between all these moments that happened throughout the.
Speaker 4: Game narrative arc.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you decide between Faxon or Kissner, which it seems like they can't decide between facxin or Kissner then like you might the baby aside and you're not the guy for the job because both of them look worse because of the situation you're putting them in well.
Speaker 4: And now it's compounded by the issue that Golf Channel is no longer the same company, just as NBC. Just the golf presentations compounded.
Speaker 3: McGinley comes in too.
Speaker 4: I forgot the facts and can't get I don't think, and there faxon and Kissner can't work the start of the week. It's just, yeah, it's compounded by that fure I think can only do Golf Channel. I could be wrong. Maybe he's NBC, but like they're different companies. Now you're in there too, he's Golf, yeah, and he's just golf. Like I can't for there are two walls. So I didn't watch any of it. So I thought it was perfectly fine. I have no criticism whatsoever. I love NBC or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: Peacock actually became the thing to do online. It was like, I mean, like people world tell you that people that are literally work in broadcast, we're online suggesting everybody go to Peacock and turn on Sky Sports if you if you don't like the coloring of the golf course was different the I mean, it's insane. It's honestly insane. I found it insane that on Sunday morning of the Open Championship, the last day of major championship golf in America or across the world, and in America, the rights partner, like literally, people are suggesting go watch Sky Sports feed because it's available on peacock. That was the suggestion. Also, storyline, nobody's talking about tweeting through it while we're on broadcasts. I love the kissener. Kissener's out there on Twitter. It beftweet his breaks. Maybe when they're on odd or on odd holes. He's out there tweeting at people odd holes.
Speaker 4: Well, that's maybe he's got an odd hole situation. You can go to Twitter.
Speaker 3: We're through all the playing throughs. Well, he's putting the caption here, tweeting through it while we're playing through. Tweeted it was tweeting through it for a Kistener.
Speaker 4: That's good. Any other storylines do you have.
Speaker 3: Any di miss anything with the broadcast?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: No, I think you summed it up pretty good today. I mean it was I much like you. I was just watching mb see because I wanted to be aware of what the discourse was. I didn't want to miss anything. Uh yeah it was. There was a lot going on today, not a lot of it good.
Speaker 4: Seems bad, Peach, what do you think about Cameron Yon. Were you believing on the front nine? Were you believing then when nobody could get.
Speaker 6: To Yeah, I just figured we would push this to Wednesday or whatever. Yeah, I was believing certainly on the front nine. I was like really believing the miss on ten. There was a handful of missed putts that, obviously in a one shot deficit, would have been the difference. I think the miss on ten really that one, That one was important at the end of the day to kind of keep the momentum going because it kind of stalled out a little bit from there. But uh yeah, I mean great, great, great effort, great run.
Speaker 7: I think it's easy.
Speaker 6: To point oh, we worried forty on the back nine yesterday, Easy to point that out at this moment in time, But you know, made made an effort, Unlike if I could just like gesture broadly at most of the rest of the leader board. Making an effort, I think is a win of itself today. Am I worried, like, I mean.
Speaker 4: Really good at being three and second I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: I said to Andy, I said, what if it just doesn't happen? And he piles up a lot of two threes and fours like I mean it's possible.
Speaker 4: I don't it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I hate to do this. I hate to be cheeky here, but honestly, the way the major played out, it was like a like a like a clever fox stealing stealing the the prize.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of coming right in.
Speaker 3: There. Then that is his best play at the end and deserved it, like undoubtedly.
Speaker 4: Well, everybody was shouting about Bryson and then Scotty's drop and then he just kind of sneaks in.
Speaker 3: Like a fox and our text threat. I thought the camp's decision on eighteen in the moment was really bad.
Speaker 6: I was surprised by it, especially when like the last thing they laid out, Smiley laid out, and the last thing you could hear Camp say was I just have to make sure I get this over the lip and then just immediately getting matumboed was like pretty bad.
Speaker 7: I think it was.
Speaker 6: I think it was just a mishit more than a bad decision per se. But I think if you tell him that ten wins or gets in a playoff, like maybe doesn't happen. Differently, he said he would hit driver again in the playoff.
Speaker 3: So I don't have an issue with the driver. I have an issue with you know that number one rules, Like number one you get out of the bunker. Yeah, And at that moment, I just felt like, if you get that thing up to the front of the green, you're getting up and down, and that's what that's what you know. I don't know. I And there's the whole other theory of like if he gets to ten, I don't know, if Fox gets to ten, yeah.
Speaker 4: We're needing a birdie on eighteen to tie.
Speaker 3: A birdie or like it's just like what you to feel like you have to put your foot on the gas. Yeah, Like the number being nine made it so much more attainable for all those guys that were chasing like Burns, like you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Burns.
Speaker 6: I mean I felt like he was just like mentally I had just ruled him out for most of the back nine and then you look up and it's like, oh, it's only really one shot. He has to get and he just couldn't end up doing it. But I yeah, I think being in the house at ten would have made like a big difference. It kept all of these guys in punching distance. And again Fox, he went out and took like that.
Speaker 4: Can I you know, I think it wasn't a yeah, it wasn't a great day for Burns. I think on equivocally the biggest loser of the weekend is Bryson, though, don't you think I think the way he played I think after the show maybe in his mind are aren't you like disappointed with how he played this, especially on Sunday text dread.
Speaker 6: I think Joseph nailed it. I think he ran out of gas. I think he was I think he was on empty today. I didn't think he had a chance.
Speaker 4: I just he was a non factor. And he might probably be the most memorable moment from this major and the most talked about in his cultural moment. But I thought he was a housecat all weekend after doing the show on Friday night, which is pretty disappointing. And I could trast it with what I just said about Tommy. He just feels like the opposite of all that of like be like being genuinely like, yeah, just leaving it at that genuine and super moved and appreciative. It just feels like a manufactured show. And he didn't show up. I thought, when you talk about this.
Speaker 3: Player, he writes the story though he hasn't shown up on the weekend since since uh since.
Speaker 4: Pinehurst, whether you like him or not, that was like a failure of a weekend coming back with the sixty nine pretty strong Saturday.
Speaker 3: But I really just think the difference the difference between like being extremely competitively sharp and not being sharp, like at this level, at the highest level in the game. The difference between sharpness is how you put together four rounds. Sam Burns's sharpest. Shit, you know, he put together a turn. Yeah he finished fell short, oh, but he put together a tournament. Bryson didn't put together four rounds, and that's to be expected for somebody that doesn't really play competitive golf. Like, yeah, you can play. You can play two good rounds, two and a half good rounds, three, I think even he played three good rounds. But to win a major, you have to play four really good rounds of golf. That's what Ryan Fox did to an extent. Cameron Young had one bad nine holes, which is like what you can have and win a major is legitimately you can play one bad nine and that's usually like you could. You could go down the list of like, okay, somebody played nine bad holes. They had a four hole stretch that killed him. Cameron Young's Saturday afternoon is gonna be the thing that he lows more than anything, more than a shot on eighteen. It's gonna be the thing that he looks back and it's gonna kill him. But for Bryson, he just did not get off the bus today at all, and he played a bad round and you're not gonna win. You're not going to win anything playing your worst round on Sunday generally.
Speaker 4: If you want to be the center of attention, and maybe like he wants to be the center of attention in other ways, and that's it. I just it feels like a guy got the bus if you want to be the center of attention. I'm not trying to like take shots at him, But.
Speaker 3: Back to Cameron Young, do you know how manors and majors he has.
Speaker 4: Now at least like four? I want to say, what is it five?
Speaker 7: And I think it's five.
Speaker 3: He's got five, five top fours, obviously, tons of close calls. Third, I think this is third top four and open, No, the second course, second runner up at the Open, so.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, he's gonna get across the line in one of these things. Do we want to run through storylines? Nobody's talking about what's left?
Speaker 7: What do we have a handful? This one. I take exception to you calling him a house cat.
Speaker 6: He went out Russell Henley earned that yellow square today, yellow school bus. Henley make sure everyone gets home safely with a Wikipedia T nine. He earned that thing. Man really put the pedal to the medal and the bus today, making all the stops earned.
Speaker 3: I was on the eighth green looking at the scoreboard with the fellow journalist and I saw Henley come into like top five or he's like six or something, and we just started laughing, like, well, he's there, but he's not gonna win.
Speaker 4: Uh, yellow square. But never never worried about.
Speaker 3: It, Happy trails. Bryson heads home in high spirits after consecutive top fifteens in the Open. Nobody's talking about, Hey, prin of this guy has played two good opens in a row. No, that's not the story we're leaving with.
Speaker 4: Huh you take that form to JCB or whatever Live UK next week.
Speaker 3: Up next, Prepare the Shield. This was a huge week for the Peak Cup, huge week for the international squad. Eight international eligible players in the top fourteen of the Open Tom Kim wins last week. Are we heading? Is this like how well the Europeans were playing ahead of last year's Ryder Cup. Brendan, what are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 4: They've got a lot of guys doing well. I mean there've been years where this has happened and then they get boat raced, molly wopped or whatever at the at the when the matches come around. I asked Brendan Deyon if Richard Sterney should be on the team, his former teammate at Mirefield Village twenty thirteen. He looked at me curiously and said, no. I mean you guys go back right, you were teammate. He won this year because he's done anything else. It's like, I'm not sure, but he won, so that he should the team, right?
Speaker 7: Yes, I think he's auto. He has the auto quality.
Speaker 4: For winning a major. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Foxy, the fastest fan alive, Renato Paratory. I love that, called out and Fox's interview after the round about the only player that he's ever played with his faster face of play wise than him. I'd I'd love, I'd love. You know, what would be a dream? Just like a fever dream, Ryan Fox and Renato Parritory finish, like make the cut on the number and are out first in a major championship, and it's like Saturday morning at Augusta and you can go loop the whole course, know exactly what's going on in two forty you know, with those two.
Speaker 4: I'm happy for Ronado Parato getting the positive moment in the sun and the last men's major of the year. It's kind of like the reverse window. Clark is stamping down behind the ball, like why are you dragging me into this? The opposite parator getting his well.
Speaker 3: You said, a moment in the sun that brings us to the Duel of the Sun. Jordan Smith blows out Shortan Smith in their annual Battle from the Top.
Speaker 4: Jordan's seems like blowout, seems like Smith is no longer going to Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Well that right here, de committed. Jordan Smith will have play the three m after committing earlier in the year.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's like a month ago, a week ago. It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 3: I think he's making any changes. I brought this up on Friday. Friday I was listening. I don't, but it's just rare in golf. You go from the very best player in the world to eight years of sort of meh, and not change a coach, caddy, anybody, agent anything. I'm not saying these and his people are bad. It's just that would be a trend that happens. So I don't think he's changed anything. It seems really loyal.
Speaker 4: Uh, good storylines. Nobody's talking about everybody's We're out of the three. I'm open.
Speaker 3: Hey Peach, did you tally gay both of the game?
Speaker 7: I didn't. We'll do that for Wednesday, all right.
Speaker 4: Any other party shots. This has been a great men's major year. We have fun doing these live shows. Well, great to be here.
Speaker 3: You'll be off off the next one because you're traveling back from abroad. I assume.
Speaker 4: I'm traveling Wednesday. Well, I think we're going.
Speaker 3: Live Wednesday, same morning. Me Me, peaj and Joseph, me and the boys.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're so we're just we're lending you know now on air.
Speaker 4: Why aren't recording Tuesday?
Speaker 3: Just obligacious? Maybe Tuesday, maybe a Tuesday whatever.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard about this, all right, we'll talk about it. It's been a great Men's Major Major year. I really enjoy enjoyed doing it again, my eighth year doing these on shotguns start twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Here's of dailies. I text you, I don't think I'm missing another daily after after If you're.
Speaker 4: Just listening now, come back. Listen to Friday Night Bryson. Saturday was fun, you came in, had some good Bryson takes. Been a great week, great year doing these at the Men's Majors. We'll be back. Thank you for listening, supporting. It's obviously a privileged to do this, so when you listen that, we are very grateful for that. Grateful Mercedes sponsoring again this year. We'll be back with you guys on Wednesday.
Speaker 6: The Pastors and Stradacty function