Speaker 1: Hey, that folks, it is Sunday.
Speaker 2: So there is time great, very special edition of any and TJ roades quickly once again has become probably our favorite segment of the week because it's one that we can finally relax and it's not just news and it's just been an onslaughter rope. So I have appreciated that we have brought this segment back to a certain degree and we're doing this every Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yes, we used to call it Friday when we were on GMA three, but now we call it Spiritual Sunday.
Speaker 1: We're not committed to that title.
Speaker 3: Committed has stuck around and it might end up becoming permanent just because you know, it makes sense. It explains a lot. We're talking to spiritual leaders, faith leaders from all different avenues, Folks who believe in God, folks who don't, Folks who are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, whatever. We welcome your insight. And today we're very excited. I got someone coming from the state of Georgia. Got to say a little little partial, but we have Reverend Dante Stuart. I'll forgive him that. He was a former Clemson football player, the University of Georgia and I are just I'm still You're sorry. We're all in the sec It's good, it's good, it's good. No, but we're so excited to have you. Reverend Dante. Well, how are you referred to? Reverend Stewart Reverend Dante Dante.
Speaker 4: No, it was so funny in church bases, it's Reverend Stuh. Pretty much everybody at my church at Tabernacle back to the church, they call me Reverend Stue and anybody outside.
Speaker 5: You know, it depends on where you're from.
Speaker 4: You're from South Carolina, you call me, you know, Dante, you called me, you play with me, you call me Stu.
Speaker 5: It just depends. It's cool. What do you want to call me? It's cool.
Speaker 4: I'm Dante, Reverend Dante. When I need to put on reverend, I'll put on reverend. When I could just be Dante, I'll be Dante.
Speaker 1: Well, I like Reverend Dante for right now.
Speaker 5: Okay, I like that he is a Yes.
Speaker 6: He has a former Clemson football player, Clemson grad and the guy who has been there's an award winning writer speaker.
Speaker 1: So it's good to have you here with us.
Speaker 6: And I actually want to ask a question, if you want to take this a religious way you can.
Speaker 1: But it was so strike. Right before we came on, Grove.
Speaker 6: Said something to you about being thirty six, and you said, oh, I'm actually thirty four. And she said, oh, sorry, sorry, didn't mean to age you. And you jumped in and said, ain't nothing wrong with getting older.
Speaker 5: And I actually want to because a lot of.
Speaker 6: People hear it, a lot of people try to fight it.
Speaker 1: Just that statement.
Speaker 6: Speak on that to people right now, this idea that we're all afraid to get older.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think for me, I think we're taught.
Speaker 4: I think on some level we're taught and socialized to be afraid of, you know, our humanity, our human frailty. It's something that's literally a part of our lives and can actually on.
Speaker 5: Some level, aging and frailty is not an enemy, but it can be a teacher, you know. And I'm thinking, I'm gonna talk about AI real quickly.
Speaker 4: Then I'm gonna bring it religious and it's gonna make sense when I Lately, I've just been thinking a lot about like, you know, like, hey, I got children in school, and you know, people are talking about you know, like you.
Speaker 5: Know, learning and digital learning, and.
Speaker 4: We have all these talks about artificial intelligence inside of our.
Speaker 5: Culture and all over.
Speaker 4: But for me, it's like, you know, I think one of the greatest gifts of our humanity is that we are frail creatures, you know.
Speaker 5: It's that we have limitations. And the thing that make us.
Speaker 4: Beautiful is that in our own individual way, we have our own limitations, which is also our stamp.
Speaker 5: Onto the world.
Speaker 4: And so why limit ourselves from the possibility of something that can make us better individually and collectively, something as simple as agent. It's something that will happen to all of us. And I think because I'm so close to older people and like literally like my grandmother, me and my grandma God god Lee, I love her so much. She was in the hospital for a while, and you know, she's ninety two years old, back turned ninety three, and you know, that's my that's my g that's my homie. We talk all the time, and I think, you know, as my grandma has gotten older, you know, I won't say I'm the favorite grandchild, you know, because because you.
Speaker 5: Know, I can't. I can't claim that fame, you know.
Speaker 4: But me and my grandmother love talking, and she knows I'm a writer, and she knows I'm a reverend and things like that, and she loves to almost like give me like lessons every time we like talk.
Speaker 5: And I think there's something beautiful about like being able to live life.
Speaker 4: And have something to offer to others and something, you know, for me being a parent and looking at my children grow.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't want to stay the same. I don't want to be the same.
Speaker 4: Person that I was at thirty two or thirty three or thirty four. I won't aging to be a gift for me and a grace rather than something that I know I can't avoid. But you know, something that I at least like look at with optimism and expectations.
Speaker 5: So I think on some level it's about like our fighting back against despair.
Speaker 4: You know, you have something to live for in that thirty fifth year, you have something to look forward to in that forty fifth, that's sixty fifth, that eighty fifth, that ninety fifth year.
Speaker 5: If God bless you to be that, And to me, I look at it as as a grace.
Speaker 6: Well, wow, I love that.
Speaker 3: And grandparents, I mean, oh my God, when you have them, hold them tight and pump them for information, because they do they have lived life and that wisdom is real. Can you think of maybe some just I love hearing about your relationship with your grandmother. What is something that she's taught you or that she is still teaching you to this day?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I never forget.
Speaker 4: Oh man, this is this is like in the forefront of my mind because I actually I just turned in my second book, Shameless Plug.
Speaker 5: It's entitled What a Broken Heart Can Do. And you know, I go.
Speaker 4: Across the country and I immerse myself into sisive heartbreak and I write deeply, deeply, you know, human stories about you know, heartbreak not being you know, the interruption to life, but it's the material that our lives are made of. And for us, you know, it's about not escaping it or running from it, but staying.
Speaker 5: Human within it.
Speaker 4: And for me, I have a chapter that I've been revising on heartbreaking loss, and it's about, you know, my grandfather's passing in twenty twenty two and this kind of like anticipatory grief around you know, my grandma.
Speaker 5: Ain't she ain't thirty four no more?
Speaker 4: You feel me, you know, at the end of the day, you know, you got more life behind you than you have.
Speaker 5: Ahead of you. And a part of it for me is.
Speaker 4: Like I've been ever since, particularly since green Data died in twenty twenty two, I've been trying as best I can, you know, to love on my grandmother and older people, because you know, the older you get, it's like that John Prime song, you know, hello in there. You know, you just want somebody to say like hello. You know, all these people go through through life and people just forgetting about them, and you know, and all people just wanted somebody to simply say hello, because Hello can be the beginning of something beautiful. Hello can be the beginning of a story. Hello can be the beginning goes you know, a listen. Hello can be the beginning of a prayer. Hello can be the beginning of a conversation that change your life. And I think my grandmother, I think the single greatest thing my grandmother has.
Speaker 5: Taught me is to keep going.
Speaker 4: And I called my grandma all the time and I be complaining about writing. And it was one time in twenty twenty two I have went through a project and it was just really difficult.
Speaker 5: After Granddad passed away.
Speaker 4: Grandma and Granddad would love going to go get terrible coffee at Hearty's and she loves. I used to be a barista, and my grandmother loves when I make her coffee. I'm not the favorite grand child, you know, but I am a good barista. My grandmother love when I make coffee, So I'm making her coffee for her.
Speaker 5: Qualife is nicker wobblin.
Speaker 4: I have my own little chemics and stuff from from Benn Rurist and I go and I, you know, make.
Speaker 5: Make a cup of coffee for it. And it's nothing to me.
Speaker 4: It's nothing that you know, invites a kind of like humility and friendship and openness.
Speaker 5: Like a couple a simple cup of coffee. You know, you sit down or you, Paul.
Speaker 4: You got to like you can't drink it fast because it's hot, you know, so you have to really sit there and be present. And the more we're present, the more we get access to like the lessons and the wisdom. And my grandmother over coffee. So I'm going through and complaining to her, she tells me. She says, Dante, I want you to keep writing, Dante. I want you to keep going.
Speaker 5: I want you to write a book that will change Congress. I want you to write a book that would do this. I want you to do this and do that.
Speaker 4: So I go out here, I pulled out my I pull out my little no journal right because I'm like, you know, I really want to write this down and go back to it and have And I think for me, as my grandmother has been agent, I've been aging, and even in this season of life that I'm in right now, the lesson of keep going is as powerful as the lesson of there's something in you because we all you meet, anybody we meet, we're always navigating the person who people see within us, the person who we actually are, and the person that we want to become. And in all those three relationship between thoseselves, there's a lot of insecurity. There's a lot of jealousy, there's a lot of anger, there's a lot of fear. There's all these things that make us human. But if we can find a way to keep going, simply just to keep stepping, keep moving no matter what, then I think that like we will learn that there is more within us than we're giving ourselves credit for. And I think that's a big lesson for each of us.
Speaker 5: Give yourself credit.
Speaker 4: Yes you're aging, Yes things are hard, Yes things are happening that you don't like. Yes, things may be uncomfortable, Yes you're afraid, you're secure, but the fact is you're here, and that a councilor something.
Speaker 5: So that's the lesson I think for her.
Speaker 6: Can you give people a little quick council on how to keep going in those moments when they are struggling. Some people lean on faith, sure, people like it's it's it's hard life. And so what in those moments when people feel like quit quitting? What what can you hand them or give them a little nugget right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think pausing first of all, first and foremost something it's important for us to, like paulse we live in a busy world. We're we're in social media when in you're dated with the algorithm, I mean, we're swiping that book, amusing ourselves to death. It can be now rewritten. We swiping ourselves to death, you know.
Speaker 5: Whatnot he just lives what it is right now. And I think the ability to.
Speaker 4: Just like pause like this morning, this morning, but being really like I had a tough day yesterday, you know, going through like writing and you know life and being a father and being a husband and you know all these I mean, I'm thirty four. These catalytic moments that happen at thirty four, it's just something I don't know what is in the water, you know, of life. You know, a lot of catalytic moments happened during this time. And I think for me, like this morning, you know, it did the morning didn't go the way that I plan, but I at least that the one thing I did do this morning is that I paused and I meditated, And for me, that's a win, you know. So I think it's important for people to pause. I think another thing that's important for people to do when they're overwhelmed is.
Speaker 5: To get the thing that you're wrestling inside outside so you can see it and alter your relationship to it. So I journal a lot.
Speaker 4: I literally literally, this is the journal that my grandmother h fit that in that I took, that I took those no sens.
Speaker 5: This from twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: But over in the back part of this corner, I have journals from twenty fourteen, and I usually work through maybe two journals a year, at least one journal a year, and I have journals from you know, when I'm this age, and that granted, a lot of it is about you know, I I work with words, and words are the way to express myself. But then sometimes you know, even in the journal, you have to get through the bull crap.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to get through the like performance. It's specially being a writer.
Speaker 4: You know, here I am journaling like I'm Shakespeare or what you know, and then I got to get to the real stuff that I actually feel.
Speaker 5: What I'm out bro? Okay, what are you really feeling? What are you going on? Bro?
Speaker 4: So, I think I think on some level, like getting it outside of yourself and putting it in your journal and being able to like see it and almost like communicate it and talk with it. You know, you're able to like process it so that thing that you may be actually worried about, or that thing that you may actually be overwhelmed about, now that you're it's outside of your head and on the page, now you can actually like you got enough distance to where you can actually legitimately think.
Speaker 5: So, I think journaling for people.
Speaker 4: I think being the person that reach out first, I'm a huge proponent in this. Like I know people be like yo, like I ain't gonna be a type of person that reach out to people, but I'm like nahna me, like I will if I know you and I love you and I'm inspired by you, I'm connected to you, and we on like a text basis, like I'm gonna call you, I'm gonna keep up with you because like you actually may need to like let me use this word as reverend.
Speaker 5: You may need to minister to me, or you may.
Speaker 4: Be needed to minister too through somebody else's like brokenness, so frailty or limitation as like this kind of senter just relationship. You might need to minister to someone, and and you ministering to someone, you're ministering to yourself.
Speaker 5: You're taking care of something within yourself that you actually need. Maybe this week you felt like man, I haad like this thing that I read, and I.
Speaker 4: Really want to talk, you know, Kendrick Lamar said, I'm just I'm a Christian.
Speaker 5: Just not today praying to the trees.
Speaker 4: Gott is taking shape, and I want to talk to somebody about like what's been happening about my relationship with God? And then your friend call you about abro I don't know how to write this word whatnot? Hey bro, let me tell you about this metaphor, like you might need that too, So it's like you never know what can happen by reaching out first. I'll say Paul's journal, reach out first to me, and then I run, so move. You know, I was asking a question in an event one time. Somebody said, you know, how do you metabolize suffering? And it's to me, it's the same way that you metabolize you know, sells or whatever it happens in the body. I'm not in a medical field, but whatever happens with the process of metabolism.
Speaker 5: You know, in order for things to go, things must move.
Speaker 4: So if you can find a way, even if that next step is the step of fear, rage, sadness, grief, despair, it's still a step, and as long as you're stepping is the possibility of being able to move into a different directions.
Speaker 5: So that's what I was saying.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that you are a minister at the Tabernacle Baptist Church there in Augusta, Georgia. What is there a common theme? Is there something that you hear most from your parishioners, what they're worried about, what they're concerned about, what they're dealing with, the troubles they have. Is there a commonality to some of the conversations you have when folks come to you and need your counsel? What are they asking for?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me be very clear.
Speaker 4: It's an interesting situation because, like I am, I float between like the campuses, and so if I'm being honest, this would be a better question that like our care congregational care team.
Speaker 5: Would be able to answer. You know.
Speaker 4: But I will answer that question for people who I talk to and what I experienced as someone as a minister in this church, not necessarily as a person that people inside the church has to come to.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, I don't want to overspeak my my my my own I don't want to boost, you know, my own importance, you know, but I will tell you about what I'm what I'm.
Speaker 5: Hearing from people. I think on some level.
Speaker 4: You know, we're in a predominantly black church, you know, historically black church. Very it's actually our church anniversary this this this uh this week, one hundred plus years that that God is just blessedly like one hundred and thirty some years. You know that that God has blessed this community. Has been many different churches inside one building. But one thing has been constant is the care for the lived reality of the people. You know I'm talking about. This church has been a place where Martin Luther King, you know, has has preached that multiple times. It was a big church and the civil rights movement. It's a church where Reverend Oldis Mass was at before Reverend doctor Charles E. Goodman, who's a pastor there now. So it's a very it's a very story in history historic church, which means that whatever people are, the lived reality of people within their own zip codes, at some point that reality finds this.
Speaker 5: Way into the pulpit and filter out throughout the ministries.
Speaker 4: And I think most of the things that people are thinking about right now and is very much what everyone you know is thinking about right now, and is the situation that's happening in our country, that's happening in our world. And as much as we're dealing with a I don't want to spiritualize this too much, but you know, it's very important.
Speaker 5: That we do. I think on some level, like as much as we're dealing with.
Speaker 4: The issues of policy and practice and the historical realities of those decisions of you know, those who have power interests of those who actually size.
Speaker 5: Real power and will that power.
Speaker 4: You know, as much as we're dealing with a being inherited, inheriting you know, those bad or misguided decisions of people from the past, and you know those who live in right now, their inabilities to actually come together and do things to change things. I think we're actually dealing with a spiritual problem as well. You know, it's economic, it's dealing with capitalism, it's dealing with you know, racism, sex of homophobia, all of these things, you know, bigotry, and corruption, all these things. But I think on some level, the deepest thing that people are dealing with is a lack of security, a lack of trust, and a lack of hope. I think on some level, we the people, in.
Speaker 5: Order to form a more perfect union, to establish justice, to ensure domestic tranquility at the beginning of the the Constitution and the preamble that in some sense is the ghost that hunt us right now. Spirit we're struggling with we the people. Now, if I can, let me put.
Speaker 4: On Reverend hat real quick, and let me turn into a preacher, and let my let my Bible verse.
Speaker 5: Be Stanza one, you know of the you know we work through the verses real quick.
Speaker 7: So when I think about the Constitution, these framers of the Constitution, these writers may not have known what they were doing, but but we as people who haven't been the ones with the pen, can actually be the ones with the microphone that can interpret these frameworks for them in ways that they didn't even know. So when I think about as a young black man in.
Speaker 4: America, husband, father, the military, spouse, writer, minister, friend, brother son, da da da da, all of these various things, when I look at that text, when I see we the people, I don't just see people that look like me. I see we the people that I find myself around every single day and people we find ourselves around every single day. And right now, what we're struggling with is we are people in this country, but we are not the people. Now there's a whoever want to answer why that is the case. You can blame this person, that person, this system, that system.
Speaker 5: Cool. The fact is we're still struggling with we the people. Now. What we're also.
Speaker 4: Struggling with this is trust. We're first struggling with security. So we the people is that idea of security? You know that if I'm struggling with something. I got my people, I got my person. But right now we're struggling with that. People talking about it in dating, people talking about it in school, people talking about on social media.
Speaker 5: Our security has been.
Speaker 4: Tested and challenge, but we're also dealing with trust. That little word, that little phrase, in order.
Speaker 5: To is very important and very powerful.
Speaker 4: It is a statement of agency and collective agency.
Speaker 5: For something to be in order to, it gotta be able to.
Speaker 4: If it can't be able to, then that means that it has some type of power to make sure this thing can happen.
Speaker 5: But the problem is we're dealing.
Speaker 4: With We're going to work, we're showing up, we're voting, we're praying, we're preaching, we're trying, we're creating this andata, we're doing all these things. But the fact is one of the things that we're struggling with also is like our ability to trust that we actually have the power to do something about what's happening. Whether you're a sister in daycare, whether you're a brother who just lost a parent, whether you're somebody who's dealing with you know, you in a school or you're in a community and you're worried about being taken away, or you're dealing with this or that we're dealing with like I do not trust that this will me acting is going to turn out good in my situation. So we're not only dealing with security and trust, but we're dealing with despair.
Speaker 5: Like we the people, security in order to.
Speaker 8: Establish established means that there is something that's gonna happen, that's gonna be in place, that's gonna outlast met that I can look forward to.
Speaker 4: That's why people love that preamble because it establishes a framework for our lives together. And I think on some level, the things that we're building, the things that we're handled, we're struggling as people with those things security, trust, and the spare whether you're in this congregation, whether you're in New York, whether you're it's Philadelphia, whether you're in San Antonio, yaval Day, Montana, Washington, DC, Florida, Republican or Democrats like Progressive or that younger Oh, I think we're all struggling.
Speaker 5: With these things. And right now, the spiritual crisis is we're numb. That's the real thing. We're not just feel powerless.
Speaker 4: I think on some level we feel numb and it's our job to help people not be numb.
Speaker 5: You can feel like you lacked security. I do too. You can feel like you us, I do too. You can feel despair, I do too.
Speaker 4: But what you don't want to settle in is numbness. And I think that's the job of the spiritual leader. It's for people who are numb to not be known.
Speaker 1: Wow, and y'all didn't see him as he was doing it. He went full preacher.
Speaker 6: He's wiping sweat from right. He went full black preacher on us. We gotta let you get out of here on this week.
Speaker 1: We gotta let you go. But hope.
Speaker 6: You mentioned hope a couple of times, and you can say from a religious basis or not, when people have despair, they're looking for hope, and it's dangerous not to have it. Give a little as you send everybody off to continue to Sunday, where can we get hope? What is your recommendation or suggested or suggestion when people feel hopeless?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, James Baldwin says that, like I'm a butcher to quote, but he said, you know, you can't look at a child and be despairing like that child needs some kind of hope, and for me, I think it's looking to the children.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm actually working on a piece on Miss Rachel right now, and there's something about Miss Rachel I think that we need as people, particularly, not just to care that she has for children, not just the courage that she has to speak up, but I think there's something about the way she points our perception is to look at children, because it's very hard to not care.
Speaker 5: When you look at a child, I don't care if that child is yours or not. You know, when there's a child in.
Speaker 4: The room, most people, let me say not all people, you know, but.
Speaker 5: Most people, the energy in the vibe shifts.
Speaker 4: And I think if we can stay close to the children and what we want the children to emulate. I'm a parent and my son and my daughter challenge me tremendously with like how I show up.
Speaker 5: I'm complaining to my son this morning.
Speaker 4: My son ate and I be talking to my boy like we dogs. That's my that's my dude. And I tell him, man, you know, he said, Daddy, what are you thinking about? Because I'm like in a day's daydreaming or whatever. I was like, man, I'm just thinking about life. Man, I'm doing all these things. I'm all these things.
Speaker 5: My son told me, Yo. My boy was like, Daddy, Now you know, you can't be all of those at the same time. Here you go, and he's right.
Speaker 4: And I think there is the Bible, you know, says that unless you, you know, receive the kingdom like one of these children, you won't inherit it. And I think there's something about like looking to the children to.
Speaker 5: Look at the world and a childlike way. And I think if we can stay close to the children and a child like.
Speaker 4: Mind, beginner's mind with the world, I think, I think we're.
Speaker 5: Gonna be ay. We already are right. Let me be clear, we already are right, and we getting all right. But if we stay toward the children, we're gonna be all right.
Speaker 3: That's perfect. We say that all the time, Dante constantly. We love the people watch and we love to look at children, and especially young girls, because they've got this beautiful, innocent confidence, because they haven't they don't know what to be insecure about yet. And just to sit there and watch kids daydream play, enjoy the basic basic things in life, like skipping or smelling flowers or looking up at the clouds, I mean it. We can learn so much. I love that you said that, and it is hopeful because we all have that in us. We just have to remember and they lead the way. I love Reverend Dante Stewart. Thank you so much for your time, for your wisdom, and I know that you have inspired so many people who are listening here today who feel exactly the way you feel. But yeah, hope is important. Hope keeps us putting that foot, that one foot in front of the other. And I love say hello to your grandmother for us.
Speaker 1: It was a pleasure, sir. We will see you down in Georgia at some.
Speaker 6: Point we get down to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Great brother, thanks.
Speaker 5: A lot, Thank you. Y'all be well.