Speaker 1: What's going on rich dmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to rich on tech dot TV hit contact. While you're there, you might see a light bulb on the website. That is where you can find the show notes for today's show in real time. So if I mentioned something you want to link to it, just go to rich on tech dot TV, hit that light bulb and you'll see the show number and all the show notes. All right. Coming up guests this week, I'll talk to the founder of Airbnb plus. They're head of public policy. They're going to talk about their new icons off. This is where Airbnb is kind of putting out these whimsical places you can stay at and it's a new thing that they're doing and many of them are free. I will explain that we've got Jack Winston joining us. He is founder of the app called Be Present, and he will talk about how the app can help you use your smartphone less. And friend of the show, John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report will join us to give a review of Accura's first I think it's their first all electric car, the zd X. Well this week, I figured i'd start the show a little bit differently. I get a ton of emails from you each and every week, and I don't get to all of them on the show each week. So I figured i'd start the show by going through some of your emails and answering the questions that you have sent me in the past week or so. So, without further ado, let's start with Victor. Victor says, I'm wondering if you know if Apple is going to introduce a new iPad this year, iPad pro. As always, thanks for your time, you are always a great help. Best regards, Victor. Victor, you are just in time, because yes, Apple is expected to launch new iPads this week. In fact, May seventh is the date of the event. They're calling it Let Loose, and this is a virtual event. It's gonna be taped. I don't believe there's any sort of live audience or anyone going up to Coopertino. It's just one of these things where they will broadcast the event online and they will launch the new products. What are we expecting, Well, new iPad pro models. Like you said, they will have better displays, of course, faster chips. The rumor is that they're going to skip that M three chip and go straight to the M four, which may give them some AI potential. There may be price increases because these are going to be better displays. But yes, the iPad Pro is sort of the main thing here. It's due for an update, so if you're looking for a new iPad Pro, it will be the time to get it. But I would wait right now. You've got a couple of days before these new models come out. If you're in the market for an iPad, it's best to wait. No matter what. If you're looking for an old iPad, those prices typically go down when the new ones are launched. If you're looking for a new one, you'll get brand new specs. They're also looking at maybe a new generation of the Apple pencil and that M four chip. That M four chip is a big deal. Because it's the next generation of chip from Apple, and it's supposed to have some AI smarts built in. That is the big thing with Apple right now. If you looked at their earnings report, you noticed and I don't think you did, but I did. You notice that the iPhone for the first time, if you can believe it, sales, I guess our revenue was down ten percent. That is huge for Apple because it marks a shift, or a potential shift for this company where they have been very iPhone driven for many years. But the thing that was up was the software and services. What is that that's basically iCloud. So that was up fourteen percent. And what does that tell me? I talked about this in my newsletter. It tells me that you've got a lot of people using iPhones out there, like over a billion people, and they're storing all of their stuff in the cloud. And the more you store in the cloud, the more money Apple makes. So they're not making as much on the iPhones anymore, but they're starting to make more and more every quarter on that cloud storage and Apple TV Plus and all these other little things that are much more service based. So it's a smart move by Apple because they know the iPhone is not going to be the Golden Goose forever. Let's see Tish in Georgetown, Kentucky says, I currently have AT and T DSL. I've been informed that AT and T is switching over to Internet air. My concern, based on their mailing is that they limit you to twenty devices. My household has around twenty five. Spectrum Fiber has come into my area. They're offering one terabyte speeds. I believe that's one megaba. Yeah, this is a very fast fiber speed for fifty five dollars for two years, unlimited devices, no contract, no caps. I currently pay sixty four dollars a month, seventy four or five over just interesting. What are your thoughts about the two I only need internet services, no TV, mobile or anything else. Thanks. Personally, I would go with the Spectrum Fiber. You're gonna get much much faster speeds up and down. Also, the price fifty five dollars for two years is an incredible price for that I'm paying more like ninety dollars a month, so I think fifty five is an incredible price. Ride it out for the two years, and then you can decide if you want to switch. Over to the AT and T Internet air that is Internet that is delivered over their five G network, so it's not available. It's only available in places where they don't have fiber, so that's why they're offering that to you. And the limit for twenty devices that is probably twenty devices simultaneously, so I don't think you'd have all twenty five devices in your household on the Internet at the same time. But in general, if you can go with fiber versus you know, cellular, I'd go fiber every day. Great question there, Michael. Is this another person in Kentucky? Wow, Glasgow, Kentucky. Michael says, I enter some online newsletters and contests, but I don't really want to give my phone number to someone because I'm sure they're going to sell it to third parties and then that of course results in junk mail and scam calls. Is there a free service where I can get a disposable phone number to use and change anytime I want. I have an iPad iPhone Pro fifteen. Thanks. I listened to the podcast of the radio show every week before I go to sleep. All right, well, thank you. A couple of ways you can do this. Number one, there are full scale services. There's a service called Cloaked, and I think we're going to see more of these types of services. This is like an all in one service that lets you generate one time email addresses, one time phone numbers, as many as you need. That's going to run you anywhere from ten dollars a month to maybe one hundred bucks for the year. That is like a real strong solution to this. But you said you wanted something for free, so that is probably not going to fit the bill. But that's really if you started from scratch. It's almost like a password manager, but for your identity. Again, that's called Cloaked. Cloak Ed. You can also do if you have T Mobile, they have an add on called digits and I believe that's a free add on. It's like a free virtual phone number. And their pitch when they came out with this a couple of years ago was give this to all the different companies that you do business with, you know, the grocery store, the you know, I was gonna say video rental store, but we don't do that anymore. But you know what I mean, Like, anytime you have to sign up with a phone number, just give them that number, and that's T Mobile digits. You can just add a line there. Verizon also has a feature what do they call it. They call it second Number. It's very very similar to a virtual phone number, and that will also ring your phone. But that's ten dollars a month. So again, these are options that I'm giving you, but they all cost money. And there is another option called Burner. This is an app that's independent and it lets you generate phone numbers on demand. So if you were selling something on Craigslist, for instance, and you didn't want to give out your real phone number, you only wanted a phone number that you can text or maybe have a couple of voice calls for for a month, you would set up a phone number a couple bucks and then it would expire at the end of that time, or you can choose to extend it. You can have a Burner number that lasts indefinitely, or you can have them expire, you know, after thirty sec thirty days or something like that. But the freeway to do this is definitely Google Voice looks like you can still sign up for a free Google Voice phone number. So that is personally what I would do, and that is what I do I've got a Google Voice number. I've had them since day one. When they first launched, they were called I think it was called Grand Central, and it was such a cool concept because back in the day, you had a landline, you had your work number, you also had your cell phone number, and you didn't want to give out your cell phone number to everyone because it was more like a guarded phone number. Nowadays, of course that's the standard, but I think people are realizing we need to protect these more. So with all that said, you can look into those options, Michael and see which one fits you best. But you wanted something for free, so I think that maybe you just go for the free Google Voice. And Sue from Missoula, Montana, says, Hey, Rich, I've watched you from the beginning. My so and my so so. What's that my anyway, we have old phones iPhone success. We're looking to get new phones. We have Verizon. My question is I accidentally synced our phones together. Is there a way I can unsync them before we buy our new phones? Yes, Sue, I get this question all the time, and the main thing you need to do is set up a different Apple I id oh, Kim says so means significant other. There we go. See you learn something new every day. Bobo and I were looking at each other like we don't know what that means. But yeah, So you need to set up a second Apple ID so you can each have your own Apple IDs. That will unlink these accounts, so you can have your own text messages, your own payment methods, your own phone. It's not all inter SYNCD and you know, synced up like that. But what you want to do is after that, you want to set up Apple Family Sharing and that will link up the two accounts. So let's say you buy an app on your account, you're still able to have your family download that same app on the other account. So set up the secondary Apple ID, link it up with the family Sharing, and that will make everything work out perfectly and things will not be all intertwined. A lot of parents have that issue with their kids. When they get give them their phone, they have like you know, or an iPad, They log in with their ID and all their text messages are going to the kid's iPad. Eight to eight rich one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one Coming up. I'll tell you about Peacock's price increase and how Roku is adding ads to the home screen. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Operators are standing by ready to take your call. Let's go to Bonnie in Santa Barbara. Bonnie, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: Rich.
Speaker 4: I have a question about download and upload speeds. Sure right now, I'm paying for probably the premium of five hundred, you know, up to five hundred download and I think it's ten upload, and they keep raising our rates, and so they've given us an alternative that's download of up to one hundred upload up to five. And I'm just trying to figure out if that'll work. I have two televisions, two computers. We watch a lot of we stream sometimes, we watch a lot of YouTube videos. We're on both televisions and computers all at the same time.
Speaker 1: Are you are you uploading stuff ever?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you uploading large files? Are you uploading videos?
Speaker 4: Very rarely?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, in that case, the one hundred down and the five up would work, But that is that's pretty paltry. What what type of service. Is it is from a cable company? Is it from Okay, so this is interesting. So the cable companies typically have a fast download speed and a very slow upload speed, and then if you've got fiber, it's typically the upload and download are the same. So if you have five hundred on fiber down, it's typically five hundred up. Now for someone like myself who's uploading large video files and this weekend, I'm not kidding, I downloaded. I downloaded my entire Google Drive to a computer and it took maybe two hours. I mean we're talking a terabyte of data. It was. It was really incredible. But then I'm uploading large files too. So if you want that ability, you want the fast upload. But for what you're talking about, for just downloading our streaming, one hundred is going to be just fine. Even if you were even if you were streaming on two TVs at once, you'd still be just fine. Netflix posts a there's a page where they post what they're streaming kind of suggested speeds are, and they their speeds are really really slow. I mean it's it's like you don't even here. I'll go through them real quick. I'm trying to bring up the website, so they're right. So you know, these streaming companies, part of what their their magic sauces. They figured out a way to stream stuff really fast, like over a slow connection. So for high definition, their recommendation is three megabits or higher. Okay, you're at one hundred. You're talking. Full HD is five megabits of speed, and then ultra HD is fifteen megabits or higher. So you're at one hundred. So you're you're doing okay, and you're going to be fine. Do you know about the websites that help you test your speed? Have you tried that on your computer?
Speaker 4: I have? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And what are you getting on that when you do that?
Speaker 4: Pretty close to five hundred maybe like four fifty or something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what's the price differential here?
Speaker 4: It is about thirty five dollars different.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, thirty five a month? Yeah? Would I would try it? And you can always go back, right, So now you have to.
Speaker 4: Lock in for twenty four months. So my concerned, Oh, I don't you know, I don't want to get it and then find out that the YouTube videos are buffering, you know.
Speaker 1: I really don't don't think they're going to be But is there any sort of like thirty day window where you can I'm sure there's a thirty day window where you don't have to where you can exchange it back.
Speaker 4: I would ask them that I could find out about Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would ask them that also, Yeah, I would. I would ask about that. Do you have any other providers in your area?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't really, I don't want to shop around. Yes, I do?
Speaker 1: You do? Okay, Well, you might get a better price and a better speed. You know, it's a little annoying to shop around to take that time. I totally understand that, but you know you could get a significantly better speed by by shopping around, so you might. You might check that. And speed test has a good isp kind of you know, where you can check to see in high speed Internet dot com you can check to see what's in your area. So there's a couple of different ways to that. But I would I think you're gonna be fine. I would ask them about the the thirty days if you can switch to say, look, if this doesn't work for me, you know, can I go back? But I don't like the idea of locking in for two years. I hate tracks and I just it's you know, we're we're in a tech focused world where things are getting better every day. Like what if a new provider came to your neighborhood and said, hey, we're gonna give you a thousand down, one thousand up for ten bucks a month and you're stuck in this contract for two years. I don't like that, but but Bonnie, thanks for the question. Appreciate it. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Peacock is getting more expensive. They are raising prices by two dollars on both the premium, which is their ad supported plan, and their ad free plan. They're both going up by two dollars a month. This is the second time Peacock has raised prices in two years. The free AD supported plan, which they launched with is no longer available to new subscribers, So if you have that, do not cancel it like I did, very very stupid of me, because I can never get it back. I am paying for Peacock and I got it on Black Friday last year for twenty bucks for the whole year, and now it's up to sixty For my renewal, new customer will pay more starting July eighteenth, just in time for the Olympics. Existing subscribers August seventeenth, they give you the Olympics, they save you two bucks there. Coming up, we're going to talk about Airbnb. They have a new offering called Icons. I'll explain. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Get those calls in. I'll get to the lines in just a moment, but first, let's talk Airbnb now. This week, Airbnb had an event called twenty twenty four Summer Release. This is sort of where they give an update about the platform and introduce new features, and this year they had a whole bunch of new features aimed at making group stays easier. They said that eighty percent of stays are booked by groups, which is news to me. But the second thing they introduced in this this is really interesting, is called icons. This is a new category of sort of whimsical places inspired by famous people, places and things. So for example, they recreated the uphouse from the Disney movie. They actually had it on display, we could walk through it. That's going to be located in New Mexico. People will be able to stay the night in that house. They've got another experience where you can stay in the Ferrari Museum in Italy. They painted an entire house to look like a cartoon from X Men. You can stay there in Westchester, and the list goes on and on. There are eleven icons in all this is just the beginning. First up, I spoke with Airbnb co founder Brian Chesky about the new experiences.
Speaker 6: I think it was better than I imagined. Yeah, I'm just really surprised. If you can dream it, you can do it. While Disney said, and I think we did it, so.
Speaker 1: And what do you hope to impart on the people that stay at places like this, these iconic places.
Speaker 6: I think it's just like that you can these worlds that exist in your imagination, they're now real and the world, the real world is magical. I know we spend a lot of time on devices and AI is ushering in all these like magical digital worlds, but there's still a lot of magic left in the real world, and I hope more people spend more time in it. And really enjoy it, and we just want to. I think that's what we're trying to do, is just bring magic into the real world.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think you would come this far with Airbnb when you started it.
Speaker 6: When I inflated three air mattresses my roommate.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I mean, we just started as a cheap, affordable alternative to hotel and to be able to come here. But I mean this is kind of you want to go where your imagination takes you, you know, and this is the beginning. I think this is the beginning of the next chapter of the company.
Speaker 1: Next up. I spoke with Jay Carney at length about the new features on Airbnb. He's their global head of policy and Communications.
Speaker 5: It started as an idea of our two co founders when they needed a little extra money. They had a department in San Francisco and a spare room and they rented it out and that was Airbedandbreakfast dot com, which became Airbnb dot com.
Speaker 1: And today you've got places everywhere.
Speaker 5: Right, You've got places in more than two hundred countries around the world, tens of thousands of cities, and all of every state in the nation. And it's an extraordinary thing, the growth of the company, the success, the fact that Airbnb is you know, sort of become a noun and a verb, right, I mean, they get an Airbnb. I'm going to Airbnb and this city or that city. So it's amazing. What's happened.
Speaker 1: What do you think the advantages of an Airbnb versus standard hotel?
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean, there are lots of accommodation options. One thing we know for sure is that Airbnb is better for group stays. It turns out more than eighty percent of Airbnb bookings are for group stays. I think that's because you get more space. Generally, you can get a whole home if you have kids, if you're traveling with your family, you know, the kids get a bedroom, you get your own bedroom, you get living space.
Speaker 1: What is the most notable aspect of the group planning?
Speaker 5: At this point, group trips have become sort of the you know, the foundation of Airbnb, and people love to use Airbnb for group trips, but our app wasn't designed for that. So the improvements are really designed to make it more delightful and easier for folks who are planning group trips, so that the key factors are shared whistless. We've always had wishless, or not always, but we had had them for a long time, but they were really hard to share and so people would make you know, you know, spreadsheets and send them around to their fellow travelers. Now you can easily within the app build a wishless, share it with your co travelers. They can give a thumbs up or a thumbs down or you know, other feedback, so you can decide whish home you want a book. And the other key feature is co travelers get to sort of join the reservation and interact with the hosts. So if you're coming from different places your group, you know, that way, you know, your co traveler sees the same information from the hosts about the address, how to check in, how to open the door, that kind of thing. So we find those features are going to make it a lot easier, a lot more fun for group travelers. Why the icons, we've discovered over the years that these things we've been doing in sort of more you know, one off fashion we call them, most recently only on Airbnb, have been you know, tremendously successful in terms of the attention they've gotten and the excitement they've created. So we decided like why not, why not scale this, let's turn it into a category on the app, so it's easy to find, uh and and you know, and make them even bigger and more exciting and driven by this sort of principle that they should be experiences that are unlike any other and in many ways are often only existed in your imagination, but we were able to make them real.
Speaker 1: So okay, this all sounds incredible, but how do you actually book it? Like who's going to get to do these things? And how are you offering it for zero dollars?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean we're offering it for zero dollars in most cases and under one hundred dollars in every case, because we want these you know, otherworldly, beyond your imagination experiences to be affordable and not not just for people who have a lot of means. When it drops, and there'll be a countdown clock for each of the eleven icons. Some of them have dropped today, others will drop later this week or early next week, and all will drop between now and October. Yeah, there's a period where you can request a book. You push that button, you fill in your information, you write a little statement about why you're excited why you want this to particular icon and then all of those applications, all those requests will go into a system where basically a chunk will be pulled out randomly and then they will be examined by a third party that we'll look at and I think from there, you know, we'll make a selection if you if you get it, you'll get a golden ticket electronic ticket, and hopefully have the experience of a lifetime.
Speaker 1: You know, Airbnb has had, you know, some stumbles and things throughout the years. Tell me about how it has approached things like cleaning fees and you know, unreasonable demands, stuff like that, even cities cracking down on you know someplace you just can't even get an Airbnb.
Speaker 5: Well some I mean, the general approach is to accept feedback and criticism as something that's important and valuable to help us improve the service.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So, you know, especially in the wake of the pandemic or during the pandemic, cleaning, you know, clean cleanliness, you know, and making sure the listings were safe and clean was a high priority. That drove a lot of cleaning fees, and we got that feedback and as you know, in the previous launches. We've taken steps to address that and try to, you know, make create more clarity abound around what the actual the full cost is for a booking. We work with you know, I run policy as well as communications. We work with cities around the world towards the sensible regulation that helps address any concerns they might have about short term rentals and the growth of short term rentals in their city, as well as you know, balance that with you know, the hope and the expectation that hosts their constituents will be able to be host and do so successfully. We think, you know, hosting can bring a lot to a community economic impact for sure, but also introduce people from outside of town to.
Speaker 1: Parts of a city, or parts of a state or parts of.
Speaker 5: A country that don't always get or ever get tourists.
Speaker 1: If you're booking in Airbnb, it can be overwhelming. So there's so many choices. Give me the secret tip on how to narrow down the right Airbnb for you.
Speaker 5: I love the new future. We announced not that long ago guest Favorites. So this is a new system that basically feature highlights you know, through information and data that we collect around ratings and you know, incident rates, and you know, time hosting where we we we elevate to the level of guest favorites the very best listings on Airbnb. So if you're new to Airbnb and you want to be sure you're getting like a highly reliable, great experience filter for guest favorites, that's what I do.
Speaker 1: Will there ever be a rewards program to compete with the likes of Mariott and Hilton.
Speaker 5: You know there, we don't have one, Like we're you know, we're still a new business and anyways, it feels that way, kind of like a startup, even though the company's public now, so we're you know, we're open to a lot of ideas, but certainly nothing to announce along those lines today.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think it's incredible what Airbnb has done with their platform, especially when you hear about their humble beginnings. Personally, I fancy myself a hotel guy. I kind of like the routine and the standardness of a hotel room. But I get why Airbnb is so incredible. It's for those times when you want something much more unique and in my experience, and yes, I've used the platform several times, it is excellent for group travel and when you want that very unique experience in a city or a place. We'll see how the new icons category does. Obviously it's very limited and who actually gets to stay in these icons, But it seems like the whole point is to get folks to open up that Airbnb app and experience and explore all the different options there. All right, more of your questions coming up at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. My name is Rich d'muro and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple A rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. You can also go to the website rich on Tech dot tv. Right on the homepage. I've got a brand new newsletter. This is something I send out weekly. You can get on the list. Just pop your email address in there and you will get that to your inbox mostly every week. As long as I can keep up with that. Let's go to us. Sarah in Ventura, Sarah, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 7: I started to get a message on my phone. It says miss uh required, SMS permission needed. So I have two factor authentication on my email, so I need to keep my phone number. I changed my password.
Speaker 1: Tell me what this message says. Again, I didn't quite understand it.
Speaker 7: Miss m I s S required. Then it says s M S permission needed. I didn't know what that meant, and someone told me it means the SIM card. So I had changed my password on my phone and then I saw the option to put a password on the sim card. So I thought, oh, I wonder what's that's like. So I clicked on it and then it said what is your password that you have set? And I hadn't set one, and then I I guessed, But then it's it wouldn't let me leave leave setting it up. So then I tried going back, and then I tried turning off the phone and removing the SIM card. Then I switched it from one side to the other.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, she did a lot. I like, what, uh what? This is an Android? Correct?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: Okay, So what app are you using for your text messages?
Speaker 7: It's just called messages?
Speaker 1: Okay? So what I would do? It sounds like, well, the so at this point, can you use your phone or not?
Speaker 7: No, it just has the thing scrolling saying you know that the SIM card is the activated. So I used my another person's phone and they said when I called my provider, they said, well, you'll have to leave our service and then when you signed up with someone else, then we can pourt it back to ours. Otherwise you have to get a new SIM.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so's your phone number. Here's what you need to do. You got to go to your carrier store. Do you is your carrier a virtual carrier or an AT and T T mobile kind of thing.
Speaker 7: It's unfortunately it's one of those virtual side branch ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that could be an issue. So you know, they they've run things a little bit differently. But what I would do is just call them and say that you need a new SIM card and see if they can just send you a new SIM in the mail. Or better yet, what type of phone do you have?
Speaker 7: It's an Android? But my carrier said that they would send me another SIM card, but it would have to be a different number. But I'm locked out of all my emails because I put up a two factor authentication.
Speaker 1: Why does it have to be a different phone number. That that part I'm not really understanding. So I would I would call the provider and ask for a supervisor and say, you know here, you know, basically I set a lock on my SIM card. Uh, and I need a new SIM that does not have a lock or help me unlock this. But it's interesting. I mean, it may be tied to your phone number, but that's that seems to be odd, Like I would think on the back end they could just clear that.
Speaker 7: Yes, I talked to the text and they said from the back end that they couldn't get it to unblock. It looked like it was semi okay.
Speaker 1: So what they're saying is you need to switch providers and then port that number out to a new provider and then they can pot it in again.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's what they said. I just think that's the same range. And then they're going to cause ast me hundreds of dollars just to switch over. And then they said, oh, we don't.
Speaker 7: Actually accept that virtual provider, so we're going to charge you hundreds of dollars to.
Speaker 1: What do you mean we don't accept that virtual provider who said that T Mobile And.
Speaker 7: My provider said, you know, we're with T Mobile, So go there. But then T Mobile said no, we don't actually accept it. And she said the other people main AT and T and Horizon will also charge me hundreds of dollars, and so.
Speaker 1: I said, well hundreds of dollars for what to just switch it over? Now, there's no there's no switching fees. I switched my wife last weekend. There was zero fees involved unless you unless you owe money on your phone.
Speaker 9: No I don't.
Speaker 7: And then they said, well, actually we don't interface with that. We're going to have.
Speaker 1: To have you the company. What's the MV and L. I'm sorry, what's the MV and OL? What's a cellular company?
Speaker 7: In touch?
Speaker 1: In touch, I've never heard of that one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: In touch wireless.
Speaker 7: Huh okay, it starts with an E E N T O U C H.
Speaker 1: I never heard of that. Oh it's a okay, so it's a it's a lifeline service. Yeah, oh okay, Well that's okay. All right, Well look I think, uh and that might be why okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 7: Well, you're inexpensive place to buy a new phone, they said, I'd have to get another type of phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much do you spend on this a month.
Speaker 7: Not very much, it's very well how much virtually nothing?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, look, I think the problem is this is this is a this wireless company is they work on the government subsidy, so they are they're doing the Lifeline service. They get money from the government and then they provide you with the service at a very very low cost, and they're they're basically making money on how much they provide you the service and how much they get paid. So it sounds like a little bit of a mess. And obviously because this is such a virtual system and because it's related to the government, it just sounds like you're in a really interesting situation here, especially with the fact that you've set up your phone number with a you know, with all of your two factor authentication. So in general, this is why I'm getting away from using my phone number for two factor authentication. So when possible, I would use an app like Authye or Duo or any one of these Microsoft authenticators. That way, your two factor authentication codes are not linked to your phone number. Because when you come into a situation like this, it's a it's a real problem. Now, I think what I would do is just go online to another provider if you can, and try to pourt out that phone number. But the problem is you need a code, typically from your previous provider, and you also need the account number. So uh, this is really tricky. I think that if you've talked to a supervisor, I would call again and call again and just explain to them the problem. Say, look, my phone line is locked up. I need this unlocked so I can access my accounts. If you can't do that, say look, I'd like to poort out my number. Can you please give me the pin number to port out my line? And I would go to something like a very inexpensive provider like a mint Mobile or Tello to get a cheap line that you can get for very few dollars per month. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology the website rich on tech dot TV. There you can see all of the stories I do for TV my tech updates. I also have been taking some of the notable interviews from this show and breaking them out so you can see the key takeaways. Could we do interview a fair amount of people here. They've got some great stuff to say. You can listen to the podcast, sign up for the newsletter. There's a lot. Rich on tech dot tv. The phone line for the show eight eight eight Rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you go to the website, you can submit your question there as well via email. Just hit contact. That's exactly what Tim did. He said, Hey, Rich, I'm stuck. I'm replacing my Google six Pro. It's got a crack screen with a new phone. But which one Google eight Pro, Samsung S twenty four plus or an Apple fifteen Max. I never had an Apple, but my wife and daughter love them. I am a T Mobile customer. If that matters, I would appreciate your input on this. Help Tim. So the three phones you mentioned, one is not like the other. You mentioned the Google eight Pro, which is their high end, the Apple fifteen Mac Promax, which is their high ends, and then you said the Samsung S twenty four plus that's their middle of the line phone. So if you're truly comparing which phone to get, you got to go ultra with the Samsung. Personally, my pick out of these three would be the Ultra. The eight Google eight Pro is great, but only if you are sort of ah if you already have the Google six, so I think you're used to that situation. But the Samsung really is the best phone of the year, the s twenty four Ultra specifically, It's got this incredible screen that is like non reflective, It's fast, it's got great software. I know Bobo likes it. That's why he's partial to the Samsung. That's why he's clapping. The Apple is great, but you know, if your wife and sister daughter have them, it's nice to be on the same page with them. I will admit that is really nice. But on the flip side, you're an Android guy. You've had Android for a while, and the biggest issue with switching to the Samsung would be the software. The Google software, in my opinion, is way better than the Samsung software. With that said, Samsung's gotten a lot better. So did I help you decide? Probably not. So If you want to be on the same page with your wife and daughter and you want to be I messaging them, then go with the Apple. But if you want to go your own way and continue with the Android that you know and love, then I would go with the Samsung. The Google's great, the pixel is fine. It's just the problem is it's underpowered compared to the Samsung. Samsung is like a beast does everything, and it does it really well, and the camera's better, in my opinion. T Mobile this week completed its acquisition of Mint Mobile and Ultramobile, so now these are one company.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I think that any major acquisition of a startup is never a good thing for consumers. The you know, prices are eventually going to be higher, you know, the features are going to be less. But right now they're talking a good game and they're saying that it's gonna be great for Mint Mobile customers. And Mint Mobile and Ultra already used T Mobiles networks, so that's pretty much gonna be the same. But T Mobile has a commitment that they are going to keep a fifteen dollars a month plan. That was the reason why a lot of people went to Mint. They love that really inexpensive plan that Mint Mobile offered. So T Mobile says we're gonna keep that plan in place. They didn't say what the data limits would be on that plan, so right now I think, oh, is it fifteen gigs a month, So they said the fifteen dollars a month. They didn't say what the gigabytes are gonna be. They're also gonna roll out scams call scam call screening for Mint customers, and they're gonna give Mint customers free roaming in Canada and enhance data roaming in Mexico for Ultra customers. Ryan Reynolds is gonna stay on as creative for Mint Mobile. He was kind of the brains behind that whole thing. So look, you know, it's we're just seeing so much more consolidation in the mobile industry. These mv and os they pop up to kind of challenge the big networks, and then they get absorbed by the big networks. When the big networks say, oh, people seem to like them, let let's take them over. And Roku, you're gonna start seeing ads on your home screen. Roku says they reach one hundred and twenty million people a day. What does that mean. It means those are a lot of eyeballs for ads, and so now home screen video ads are going to be a thing. We just saw this happen on Amazon fireTV. When you fire up the Fire TV, it starts to AutoPlay an AD. You know what I did. I switched to the Apple TV because I couldn't stand it. At first. I was like, wait, what's going on here? Why am I seeing an AD every time I turn on my fireTV? And I love the fireTV, but it just got annoying. When you stop moving the remote for a second, an AD would come up. Now we are gonna I think Apple's gonna be the last one, because this is really tough to avoid, even on the individual apps. At this point, when you're appausing them or you're just kind of not doing anything with those apps, they're showing ads. So what does this all mean? It means the free ride is over. I've said this so many times. When all this streaming stuff started, it was a big alternative to kind of like watching linear TV and renting stuff and paying for all this stuff, and you've got ad free experiences. Nowadays, it's all about the ads once again, because these big companies they want somewhere to advertise, and these other companies, the streaming companies, they've got the eyeballs and they make extra money, and a lot of people don't want to pay twenty three dollars a month for Netflix. They're perfectly happy paying six ninety nine a month and sitting through ads, which is perfectly fine. But be prepared for Roku to now start showing new ads at every corner. That's the way it is. All right, Let's go to Kathy in Laguna Niguel. Kathy, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 10: Rich, I love your show, and I'll try to make my question as easy as possible to understand. Sure, Okay. So in twenty eighteen, we had a solar system installed on our home through a large solar company which has now gone out of business, and that system included a cellular motor modem that was connected to a two G network system that allowed us to monitor our usage using the solar Edge monitoring platform. We just got a letter from solar Edge saying that as of April to second, they were discontinuing the two G network system, so we were going to have to get a new modem and they would provide us that new five G modem free of charge by contacting them or having our installer contact them. We don't have an installer because they're out of business now, so we've tried to contact them.
Speaker 7: We looked at a.
Speaker 10: Couple of YouTube videos. Didn't look like it was too hard to replace that modem, but they've never contacted us again. There's also another option besides getting a new replacement modem, which you have to buy online. It's about two hundred and fifty three dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, okay, and so what's the question.
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, there's another option that you can buy just a wire connector to connect it to our existing five G system routered here that we have.
Speaker 3: In our house.
Speaker 11: Yeah, as another option.
Speaker 10: And that's cost you know, next to nothing. Yeah, because you just have to buy that little wire piece. Well, the kicker is here. It's after April the second, and we're still able to monitor that solar Edge platform never did go down. So I don't know if it was just.
Speaker 9: To come on.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, they would want to upgrade.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's not a come on. It's the I mean, a two G network is very old. It's probably either I mean, I'm surprised they even have that because a lot of these companies have sunseted their two G networks. So maybe it's on AT and T. Maybe they still have a little bit of two G running for like emergency situations. But I would I personally, go with the option for the wire connector. If you can easily just run a wire to your modem, that's going to be probably what under twenty five dollars for that connector or something, right, Yeah, I would do that and the modem. I mean, do you this is just to monitor your system, right, Like you don't really need this to run the system? Correct, That's correct? So I mean in California, I mean, it's do you check on this thing all the time or what we do?
Speaker 10: Because if we did not have this monitoring here on our computer, we would have to wait each month when we got our San Diego Gas and Electric bill to see what our usage.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I would just go with the wire connector. In the meantime, if you want, if you think you can pop out the old cellular I had the same exact thing happened to me with an alarm system I had, and it was an older network. They're upgrading and they said I will send you a new modem and you got to pop it in yourself. I'm like really like, like I get it, Like I can do it, because of course I can pop this thing open and pop in the new modem. But I was like they make regular people do this. That's kind of weird, but sure enough, it was very simple. It was very straightforward. I don't even think I had to pay for the new modem. But in this case, if you want to do the new modem and pay the money, I don't know. If you can run the wire that's a lot cheaper. It's going to be you know, a good, a good kind of system to do that with.
Speaker 10: I think, okay, okay, good. It doesn't look like I have an empty port on the back of my modem here, but we'll have to we'll address that. We'll figure out if there's something we can eliminate or yeah, you can.
Speaker 1: Just get you can get a switch, a small switch that you can get on Amazon that will extend extend the ports on the back of there. So just look up, just look up a switch on it Amazon and I have one connected to mind. That'll that'll increase the amount of ports you have on the back of your device. But that's probably the way to do it. Just you know, if you want to pay the money for the modem and you just want it to be wireless, that's fine. I have no problem with that. But the cheaper solution if you're if this is close to your router, why not just do it that way and just plug it in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, okay, great, Well that's the advice I needed. So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: We'll do that, all right, Kathy, appreciate it. Good luck. Okay, thank you, thanks for the call today. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh man, it's so interesting. I have not personally gone solar, and I always say I wish I would have done it when I first bought my house, because now we're many years in and uh, it's one of those things you have to have for a long time for it to sort of pay for itself. So and then of course you have the issue of, you know, the company that does it, how long are they going to maintain it for Coming up this hour, we're going to talk to Jack Winston, founder of an app called be Present, such a cool app. We'll have more on that and more of your calls coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's see. We got an email from Tony. Tony says, hey, Rich, I'm looking for a digital frame. You've recommended the Aura digital frame in the past. Is this still the best choice or are there other options? I really enjoy listening to your show. Keep up the good work, Thanks, Tony. Great question. So I still think the Aura frames are probably over all the best. But I was in Target yesterday and I saw a new brand that I had never seen before. It's called Skylight, and I said, that's interesting. If they're in Target, they must be pretty decent. Because there's been a lot of digital frames over the years that I've tested. None have come close to the quality of the Aura frames. And the reason I like them the most is really it's it comes down to the app. So I mean the quality of the frame. The frame looks really good, but it's the app that makes life so much easier because it's just such a well designed app. And these digital frames, if you don't have one, makes a great gift because you can get them for your loved ones, someone that lives far away. The toughest part is really setting it up for them. But with the even with the Aura frame, you can like preload the Wi Fi and preload the pictures so that when they open it up, it just kind of connects to their WiFi and the pictures are already on there, or I guess it downloads them the first time they open it and connect. But it's a pretty great experience, So highly highly recommend if you're looking for a gift for someone, these are always a crowd pleaser. And then the beauty of these app of frames is that you can just email the pictures from your phone to the frame they show up instantly, or you can use the app. In the case of Aura, you can use the app and just get those pictures there. Now I'm looking at the Skylight and I kind of like it. It looks like it's very competitive with the Aura. The big difference is is that it looks like you may have to pay a little bit for extras. So the Aura has or sorry, the Skylight has a basic free plan which you can send photos by email or mobile app anytime from anywhere. That is included for free. But on the plus it's forty dollars a year and you can send photos, you can send videos, you can make captions, greeting cards, doodles, cloud backup, online access and albums. So it seems to me like the play with Skylight is a little bit more towards that yearly fee, which some people may be turned off by. So again I think Tony, the option that I still like is the Aura. They have some great, beautiful frames. I would check them out, but if you want that alternative, the Skylight looks like it's a nice alternative. Is also has a touch screen, which is nice too. So there you have it. Sam's Club. This this week kind of interesting news from Sam's Club. You know how when you go to one of these big box retailers like a Walmart or Sam's Club or a Costco, they check your receiat on the way out. Well, Sam's Club is putting in some new technology that it kind of looks like a metal detector that you walk out, but it's using AI and computer vision and they are going to ditch the physical people that check your receipts in lieu of AI. And let's see, they unveiled this technology at CS this year. I did not see this at CES, so I guess I missed it. But right now it's in one hundred and twenty clubs Sam's Clubs and it basically compares what's in your shopping cart to your receipt. And I'm not sure how it's doing that, but it says the technology seamlessly confirms that members have paid for all items in their shopping carts without requiring associate verification. Now they're still going to be an associate at the exit, but they're more just to kind of supervise the system. Kind of interesting, and this is they took a direct job at Amazon in their press release saying as some people are ditching their computer vision technology, we are embracing it. And that was a direct job at Amazon giving up on their just walk out technology. Now, the biggest comment I got about this when I put this on my social media, everyone was saying, Oh, Rich, are you sure that this is not powered by people in India? Because if you saw the big thing about the Amazon just walk out someone one person said that Amazon's just walk out technology was powered by people in India watching the cameras a thousand people. Give me a break. They did not have people in India watching cameras from all the Amazon stores in real time. No, what those people were doing is when there was an issue that would be flipped to the people in India, and they would say, hey, can you look at this and see what happens here? Did this person pick up a box of fruity pebbles when our system said they looked at cocoa pebbles?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It wasn't someone watching every single camera in real time. That's insane. Nobody's doing that. Amazon would not base their technology on people in a call center watching cameras in real time to see what kind of peanut butter I pick up? Come on, but people, that was literally the comment I got over and over if you believe that Amazon would do that. I mean, just one person reporting something in our world, and I use reporting with air quotes. Just because one person posts something and fifty thousand other blogs I call them klingons all rewrite with that person wrote and put it as fact and truth. That does not make it fact and truth. Come on. And Amazon, by the way, is not ditching the just walkout technology. They're getting rid of it in their stores, but they are all these other third third party retailers are using it. Anyway, Let me calm down here, all right? Coming up? Oh I need I need this app. It's called be Present. We're going to talk to the founder of an app that helps you be on your phone a little bit less. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. If you want to get on the phone lines, we'll take a couple of calls after this interview. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Well, I'm very excited for my next guest because it's always interesting to me when we have an app that tries to keep you on your phone less, and that's exactly what be Present does.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show, Jack Winston, founder of an app called be Present. Jack. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Great, thanks for having me Rich.
Speaker 1: So this is a problem. People are on their phones way too much, and myself included. You know, I am a tech person, so obviously I have an excuse to myself and to my family members, you know, like my kids when they're like, Dad, look at this amazing picture I just drew. I'm like, kid, come on, I'm doing my emails for work. Just kidding. Yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 2: It's a massive problem, both in terms of the time that we spend, but I think even deeper than that. It's it's more than just the time, but it's the fact that most people aren't even alone with their own thoughts today. So more than just spending you know, X amount of time on their phone, every free moment that we have, whether where, like you said, with our kids, or even in an uber or in line for coffee, we're always pulling on our phones trying to distract ourselves. And I truly believe, you know, this is one of the defining problems of our generation today, and we're kind of just waking up to just how big of a problem it is.
Speaker 1: It's almost it's so odd that like the standard has become staring at your phone, and I will literally say something to someone, like at a Starbucks or like in line, people think you're weird because they just to like, what, why are you talking to me? I don't know. You shouldn't you be looking at your email?
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 2: We don't talk to strangers anymore. We missed that serendipity. And I truly believe, Like I live in New York City and I go on the subway, everyone is on their phone as you're in the subway, and I think we're going to look back at this time and pictures and movies, and it's going to be like how we look back at people smoking cigarettes, you know, everyone on their phone. We're going to realize just how detrimental it is, both of the societal level but also personal health. And we're going to think, you know, what were we doing at that time? Right now, it's weird to do the opposite, but I think in the future, you know that that the tides are turning.
Speaker 1: So explain to me what the app does. What is be Present all about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the general idea be Present is, you know, social The reason why we can't get off our phones is because social media companies and other apps use powerful psychological techniques essentially to keep us addicted to engineer our constant engagement. That's why it's so tough to really reduce your screen time and why current solutions don't really work. And the thesis and insight behind our app is we actually use those same psychological techniques that keep us addicted, but instead to enforce healthy behaviors. So our mobile app it sinks with your screen time and then incorporates features that are proven to impact behavior change. So, for instance, you set screen time goals and then you earn streaks over time as you stick to your goals. You also earn points by reducing your screen time in blocking apps, and then you use those points to compete on weekly leader boards and challenge friends and even earn real life rewards that improve your life. We also have the ability to challenge your friends and keep accountability partners so that you can keep accountability to your goals and really like the idea here is, instead of just making the phone as frustrating as possible to use so that you use it less, which is what most of the current solutions are around app blocking or deleting apps, we actually want to make it fun, motivating, delightful, and empowering to use your phone how you want to use it, kind of replacing that dope mean hit you used to get from scrolling with dope mean for staying off your phone.
Speaker 1: What I liked about it number one is that it sort of works with the screen time functionality built into the iPhone. So that really surprised me, Like it kind of helped me set the screen time parameters, which I was like, oh, that was really cool because I've done this with my kids. You know, with the screen time, it's a pain like Apple does not make it easy to kind of set up those limits, and so this made it a lot easier for me to do that for myself. And then in one tap, I was able to tap and say, you know, you set kind of like, you know, when do you want to be off your phone? Okay? Right now? How long do you want to be off? An hour? And I was at my kids basketball game and typically, you know, every time there's a timeout or something, you know, you look at your phone, and it was just like, nope, you're on the present time. And it was just like, oh, I can't use my phone. That's just fine. And of course I made it so I can still use the camera if I needed it. But I thought that those two features a loan, we're like really really great exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we integrate with Apple's native screen time API, so we're able to you know, create a seamless user experience around customization and just like the blocking that you mentioned, and yeah, like adding these points of friction I think is important because a lot of our usage is mindless, right like whenever we have a free moment or like you know, people are afraid to be along with their own thoughts today, and so whenever they're still, you know, they take out their phone to try and stimulate themselves, but a lot of that is unconscious, and so adding like the blocking features that you mentioned, adding a little friction creates more awareness and intentionality around how.
Speaker 1: We use our phone.
Speaker 2: And so it's really just creating these features that can help people achieve the goals that they already want to achieve, Like you want to be present totally for your son's basketball game. You didn't want to be on your phone, and you were able to use these features to then create that accountability in the future for yourself, and so that's really our goal with what we're building now.
Speaker 1: The fear people may have is that if they do this, I call it kind of zen mode almost you call it blocking session. To me, it's almost like a zen mode. But is there a way to get around it? Like let's say you start a blocking session for an hour and all of a sudden you need to do something like you have to do it. Can you get out of it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So the way it works is you can customize which apps are blocked in the first place. So if you want to use certain specific apps that you know are utility focused or you can't be locked out of then you can customize that as well. We do have you have the ability to get out of the blocking session if you need to. But the main point around that is we actually later on gamification on top of the blocking session. So if you end the blocking session early, you lose the points that you were going to earn, and so you can end it. If something is so dire that you need to access it, then yeah, you'll lose the points. But the point of the gamification is just to create an awareness whenever you're ending that blocking session, like, is ignoring this blocking session and accessing this app these apps worth you know, losing points or losing my streak or having my friends text me telling me that they can tell, you know, with the social features that I've been on my phone for too long, and it's really just you know, the gamification kind of creates that constant awareness of, you know, in the back of your head whenever you're using your phone, like, is this worth losing the game that I'm playing through? Be present so you can always use the apps that you want to use with our app, But it creates a mindfulness and awareness around it.
Speaker 1: Now there is a b present pro version. Explain what you get with the paid kind of pro version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a couple of great features in there. So going back to blocking sessions, we have a mode called beast mode within the pro version where you actually can't give up. So before I mentioned you can give up the blocking session right now. You'll just lose points. But some people don't even want that. They want like it totally blocked. So you enable beast mode, and uh, you won't be able to give up no matter how much you tried.
Speaker 1: Really, if you reset your phone, what if you've restarted, No.
Speaker 2: If you restart you it Uh. You know we sync with the Apple Screen Time ap I, so we're on uh you know, system level. And yeah, you you can't get around it through that. Now it will end when the timer ends. You know, you set you set the amount of time that you want and you won't like lose your phone forever. So I don't want to scare people out there, but it's just like, let's say you're you really need to get something done. You know, whether you're a student and you have you know, you waited too long to study for finals, or you know you're working and your boss really needs something and you're working remote, you don't want to be on your phone like you enable beast mostly that you really uh, you know, can't access your phone and be tempted.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got about a minute left here. I'm just curious. So you've seen kind of like how people are using the app. Are you seeing a lot of take up from this? Like you're people enjoying this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean as a founder and entrepreneur, one of the best things about my job is hearing the success stories of our users and our customers and really having an impact on people's lives. You know, we talked with users every every week and we hear some incredible stories.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One person just told us that they were able to finish the first draft of their novel because our app. Because of our app. Another person was and this is a little scary, and we're hearing this more and more. They were afraid of losing their job. You know, they work remotely, and they were just spending six, seven, eight hours a day on TikTok and they had tried everything before, nothing at worked and our app was the first thing that it worked for them. And so it's great hearing, you know, stories like this, but even more broadly, you know, we hear consistently that one of the main things people are rediscovering is just like the enjoyment of everyday life that people are getting back, and I think that's beautiful as well as people rediscover, you know, the the extraordinary world that we been that sometimes seems ordinary, but you know, we really can get a lot of enjoyment out of it if we just pick our heads up from the screens and learn to be present.
Speaker 1: I so agree. The website bpresentapp dot com. It is available for iOS right now. There is an Android wait list, so you are working on an Android app right, Yes, we are. That's very exciting, all right. Jack Winston, founder of the b Present App. I love it. I love what you're doing. I love the idea of this. I think we are seeing sort of a renaissance with people realizing that, yes, it is fun to see all those little numbers light up when you open up Instagram and the likes and the hearts and stuff, but it's a slot machine. That's exactly what it is. You're getting that dopamine hit based on posting stuff and looking for that feedback.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, and to your point, in the renaissance, like I think we're at the beginning of an inflection point, like a massive movement in the creation really of an entire new category of health and wellness around digital wellness that people will put right up there in the future in five years with fitness, nutrition, sleep, mental health. Like I think people will recognize this is an essential pillar for health, and I think we're just at the beginning of that, and that's why it's so exciting with what we're building right now and being in this space.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate you having me on rich Thanks well. When I download an app and use it and love it, like I want the people on my show because I just like it's there's a lot of apps out there that I try, and this one really really hit a nerve. Jack, thanks so much for joining me today the website rich on Tech dot tv. Hit the light bulb and you can download the app or just go to the website bpresentapp dot com eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more of your calls and questions right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. The phone number eight eight eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. If you hear me mention something on the air and you'd like a link, like maybe the app we just talked about, just go to the website Rich on tech dot tv. Hit the light bulb up at the top. That will bring you to the radio show wiki page. This has every show I've almost every show I've ever done, with all of the show notes in order. So for instance, this is show number seventy. You tap that and you can see all of the previous callers and all of the topics I've mentioned, as well as links to the pertinent information that you're looking for. Let's go to John in Los Angeles. John, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, Rich, great show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 11: I have a a Dell all in one desktop and it has one terabyte of HDD and two fifty six of FSD memory, and everything is going into my seed drive. My Sea drive is pretty much maxed out, and I have a lot of space left in the d drive, but I don't know how to access that. I mean, I have everything set up in the file, all my documents set up in the files, and you know, it's pretty easy now because I pull it up and you know, everything is set up, but I'm not sure how to access the rest of that storage in the D drive.
Speaker 1: Interesting, it sounds like, is this like a fusion drive where it has like the two Like it might do kind of temporary things on the SSD, which is a solid state drive, which is a lot faster than the hard drive. So I think that's what the setup is here. And so it may be that it doesn't really wants you to install stuff on the SSD because it's just using it for temporary kind of usage of running programs and things to make that happen faster. So are you running out of space on things you want to store on the drive or what? Well?
Speaker 11: Yeah, when I to say something, it says storage not long, no more storage available. And I called Dell and they said if I got a new all in one with one terabyte all SSD, then you know everything it would be, the entire terabyte would be accessible.
Speaker 1: Oh so Dell told you to solve your problem, well you have to do is buy a new computer. Yeah, well that's really helpful.
Speaker 11: And I actually thought about it for a minute because I was so you know, no I mean, so I'm tired of this. I just don't know how to how to access through US because when I bought it, I'm like, oh wow, a terriblete I'll never use that in my life. And and now it turns out that I only have two two fifty six and I've used that already, so okay.
Speaker 1: So that so that the SSD is the terabyte.
Speaker 11: Oh no, and the new one if I if I purchased it, it would be it would be all SSD.
Speaker 3: Will be all accessible.
Speaker 1: A couple of things. Number one, I think the easiest way to expand your your hard drive space is to is to you know, if you if you needed to do that is to get you could either start using the cloud. You know, one drive is obviously built into Windows operating system. You can offload some stuff there and use it. And you know, the neat thing about that is because it's built into Explore, you can put the files up into one drive and I think they give you like fifteen gigs of free storage. You can put the files up there. They'll still be visible on your system, but they're not taking up any space. So that's one way of kind of just freeing up maybe fifteen gigs of storage. You can do that if you want. You can add an external drive to your system and you can easily expand infinite amounts of storage by you know, a two terabyte drive that you plug in with USB is going to you know, maybe cost sixty seventy bucks at the most. But the other thing I would do is try to see what is taking up the space on your drive that you have currently. And so there's a couple of programs that I would look into. The first is Windows Directories Statistics. It goes by the term when er stat W I N D I R S T A T dot net. So this will kind of scan your drives and give you a visual understanding of what's taking up the space in those drives. So, for instance, if it's being taken up by the Windows operating system, or maybe you know a couple of large files that you have that you may have forgotten about, you can use that to kind of clear up some space quickly. And then the other one is bleach bit b L E A C H B I T. This will clean up some of the clutter on your system, including some cookies, internet history, broken shortcuts, just unnecessary files to free up valuable disk space, as they say, So this is kind of one of those like maintenance programs, and it will give you an idea of what's what it might clear out before it actually does anything, so you can see. But I would run that and see that that could clear up some stuff as well. But those are the two things i'd recommend, and maybe the external hard drive, maybe the cloud drive. I don't think you need a new computer. It sounds like you just need a way as long as your systems are running, your apps are running, your programs are running. Just sounds like you need to place the store stuff, and so the external drive would probably be your easiest bet with that. This is a desktop computer, you're not moving it around a whole bunch. That combined with these programs to make sure that you're making the most of the disc space that you have, would be the best case scenario that I can think of. But I do think it's funny that Dell said just buy a new computer, because that's not the solution we're looking for, folks. We're looking for a solution that does not cost any extra money. Appreciate the call today. Thanks eight and eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. LinkedIn has games now. If you open up the LinkedIn app, if you love wordle, you might love some of these games. They've got three new games. Cross Climb This is a crossword style game that challenged you to solve clues and fill in the grid. Pinpoint This is a game that tests your knowledge and requires you to locate the correct answer among various options. And then Queens is a game inspired by the chess game, challenging players to strategically place queens on a chess board. So if you want to try these new games out on LinkedIn, if you have the app on your phone, open it up, look at the my network tab that's at the bottom. Tap that and you can get links to these three new games. I have played some of them and it got me to open up the LinkedIn app the last two days. Two out of two days, I guess they've gotten their goal. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. More show coming up after this. Welcome to another hour of Rich on Tech. My name is Rich DeMuro, hanging out with you talking technology. Phone lines are triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one website for the show. Rich on tech dot TV got an email this is what I love about this show. So apparently I might have misunderstood the question from the caller with the storage, and Samir listening chimed in and said, hey, this might be a better way to solve this. And so basically, as I understood it, there was two drives on that computer. One was one terabyte, one was an SSD drive which was smaller. That seemed that that had the operating system and solved. So what Samir recommends is maybe just change the default storage so where your documents or downloads are being stored. So on Windows you can do that. I've got a link up the kind of tutorial for doing that, But basically you would go into file Explorer and change where your documents are stored by default, and that is that might be a better solution. I didn't really catch that part of the conversation, but that could be what was going on. Basically, the operating system is taking up that entire solid state drive and all of the documents are also trying to be stored there, and they've got this one terabyte drive that you can put those documents on so go to the website rich on tech dot TV, hit the light bulb, and I put the instructions on how to change the default document folder location in Windows. Thanks Samir. United Healthcare CEO estimates that nearly a third of Americans may be impacted by the Change Healthcare data breach, which occurred two months ago. A total number of affected individuals remains unclear because the investigation is still ongoing. But the stolen files include personal health information on a substantial portion of people in America. Let's see, what are they going to figure out about us? Cholesterol, too high, blood pressure, too high weight, to not eating right? You know what it's it's But the scary part of this is the information about our personal details. And you can imagine healthcare companies have a lot of information on us, including socials. They haven't said what information is included in this, but the fact that a third of Americans may be impacted, this is scary. This is a big one. It does say there's no evidence that doctor's charts or full medical histories have been found. Now, the way that the hackers got in this is pretty interesting. There was no two factor authentication on a sort of a third party access software that they were using. And what does that tell me? You need to have your two factor authentication set up on your accounts. Please set that up. It will protect you in ways that you can't really imagine because they're trying to get in, believe me. And if you're looking for a new app to play around with, Anthropic has launched their free iOS app for their AI assistant called Claude. Now, I know chat Ebt gets all the headlines, but Claude is actually my preferred AI app. I do pay the twenty dollars a month for it. It literally feels like I have a personal assistant. This thing is so smart. It's funny. No, just kidding. I mean, I don't know if it's funny, but I guess it would be if you asked it for funny stuff. But I will tell you, bobo. We've been playing all eighties songs today. How did I come up with that eighties playlist? AI? All I said was sure, I said, give me a list of twenty five of the most defini I love saying this, the twenty five most definitive eighty songs like who Could Cut? You can't come up with definitive anything because you actually missing one good song. Oh see, this is why I love humans more than AI. What's the song miss in Africa by Toto Ooh yeah yeah, play that on the way back here It okay, I already replaced. See I like that. See this is why we still have humans doing things. But the Claude iOS app is available for free, and the neat thing about it is that you can sync whatever you're doing on the web. You can you can sync it to the app. So if you started typing something on the web and you wanted to pick it up on your phone, you can do that. It also has real time image analysis. It can understand things you take pictures of and give you information about that. And Claude is really good. It's not, maybe not as full featured as chat GPT, but it's really good at sort of understanding text and so if you have like a big document you want to throw at it and ask for some information about it, it's really good at that. It's good for brainstorming, getting quick answers and analyzing scenes and images. And I'm not gonna lie. I used it this morning to rewrite my LinkedIn because I was on LinkedIn playing those games and of course they've got me now. So I was like, oh, I haven't looked at my LinkedIn profile in like ten years. And I literally just said to Claude, hey, can you clean this up? And it went through each one of my previous jobs and just cleaned up my descriptions. It didn't rewrite them in a huge way, but it just cleaned it up. And I was like, Wow, this is a lot easier to read than what I wrote. So I'm telling you this AI stuff is very useful. I understand there's a lot of downsides. It's very scary, but just think about it as a brainstorming buddy. Whatever you need to do. Like let's say you write a sentence. You could say how would you write this to AI? And just paste it in and it's almost like that back and forth that you would have with another human or or a team member or a colleague. But it's superhuman strength and it's it's really incredible. Let's go to Brad in a Key West. Brad, you're on with Rich Hi, thanks him first involved.
Speaker 9: This is the first time I've.
Speaker 3: Ever heard you, and I like what I near second of well, it.
Speaker 9: Just made me a laugh.
Speaker 3: Be good in the eighties, I was.
Speaker 9: A club teacher in Chicago, and I could probably do better than the AI.
Speaker 10: And third of all, and I got a big problem with my Apple iPhone eleven.
Speaker 9: I updated the I did the update, and all of a sudden, I lost a lot of pictures.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not good. Okay, it sounds like, uh, I gotta well. Thank you first off for the kind words about the show. I do appreciate you finding me. And I love to hear that we made you laugh, because that's always a nice thing. The pictures on the iPhone, it sounds like you did an update and lost some pictures. That is very concerning. It does happen, and this is why I am always always reminding folks to back things up. Now, in this case, if you didn't have a backup, if you're if you're maybe on not on a I Cloud or something like that. The first place I would look, Brad, is, uh, go into your albums, Like, open up the photos app on your iPhone and uh look look at the albums down at the bottom. There's a tab called albums and there's a recently deleted folder. And Apple just recently made this where you have to use your biometrics to unlock it, which is pretty smart because you know people delete photos that are unwanted or maybe you know it could be as simple as you don't look good in a picture and you delete it, and maybe you don't want that to get out. So once you use your face ID or your thumbprint, whatever it is, you said you have the eleven, so it's face ID, you can unlock that. I would look in there and see if your pictures are in the recently deleted It will keep any pictures that it deletes for at least thirty days now if it's not in there. The other place I would recommend looking is an old backup of your phone. So go into settings and go into iCloud and there is a section of iCloud backup and it says if backup this phone is on, that is a complete backup of your phone, and you can tap in there and see when the last backup was done and how big that backup is. So on my phone, for instance, it's one hundred and thirty gigabytes because my photos are not included in my iCloud backup because I back them up to a third party service, which is Google Photos. But what you could do is you could. If that backup is from before you did the update, you can go into that backup and retrieve those photos. You might need to use a third party program to do that. There's a way to download that backup to a computer and then use a third party program like i'm azing to kind of go through that backup and see if the pictures are in there and extract those. If that doesn't work, or if you don't want to do that, you could also bring back your entire phone from that backup. It's a little bit more complicated. You'd have to factory reset your phone and then bring it back using that. I don't recommend that, but in the dire straits you could do that. But Brad, the bigger take way I have is please backup photos. Please backup photos to a third party backup, whether it is Amazon Photos. Amazon Photos is great if you have Amazon Prime. Amazon Photos is free and unlimited at least until they decide to change that. But for right now, if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can download the Amazon Photos app to your phone iPhone are Android and it will back up all of your photos and it will do that for free and onlimited at full resolution. So at the very least, if you don't want to pay for anything else and you have Amazon Prime, do yourself a favor and download that app and let it back up your pictures. And that way, if anything happens to your pictures, it is a one way backup. So basically they all go up into Amazon, they will be there, and it doesn't sync with your deletes. So if you delete something from your phone, it's not going to delete out of Amazon. And that is unlimited for photos only, not for videos. So I recommend that in the Amazon apps, you don't use up all your space. Just go ahead and toggle off the videos. And you're saying, well, rich, what about my videos? You're going to have to figure out a secondary solution for that. Amazon. What they're trying to do is get you to use that app. The videos use up all the video storage. I think they give you five gigabytes for videos, and they say, hey, you're out of storage, you want to buy more, and of course a percentage of people will do that. The other way is just to use an app to back up your photos. Whether it is Google Photos, whether it is Dropbox, whether it is i edrive, whatever, you do, find some way to back up your pictures because these things do happen. And if you're updating your phone to new software, I would run a backup of your phone before you do that, so you can go in and toggle and manual backup of your phone. When you go into that, I'll tell you how to find it. One more time. Settings tap Apple ID up at the top and where it says iCloud, it says iCloud backup. You tap that and it says back up now. Because a lot of times you may go into this and you may find that your phone hasn't backed up in months, depending on how you charge your phone and how it's connected to Wi Fi. So it will tell you last successful backup for me was interesting. See it should have been last night, but it was not last night. It was two nights ago. So that's that's news to me. Should have backed up last night. Now it'll I gotta figure out why it didn't it was two days ago. Coming up this hour, we're gonna talk to John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report. He's gonna tell us about the all electric Accura ZDX plus. I've got a couple a couple more apps to tell you about. GPS Powered Audio Tour Guide. This one's really cool. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to John and Bakersfield. John, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hello, Rich, Rich, I've had a devil of a time. I'm hold on second. Okay, I'm going to be back. I got to take this call.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I've had my accounts hacked, starting with purchase at best Buy back in late January of purchasing the new S twenty four. And what's happened most recently and disturbing, is that they've been able to get account information and then we went and to the extent they actually went in and did a wire transfer of funds to another account. Unfortunately I was monitoring the account and was able to see it before Wells Fargo did, but and that was only because of a text message. Most recently, I've set up new accounts, new user names. Nineteen is your passwords and this has been done three times. Wow, and most recently one second.
Speaker 1: Please, So we've got We've got John on the line, and he's had some issues with fraud on his bank account and uh, I guess we're getting to the question here. So the question is, how.
Speaker 3: Can I help? My question is that right now, yesterday I was in I spent an hour with fraud in Wells Fargo and anyway, set up new passwords, everything, new user names and the UH and I've had two step authentication all along and so we did it again yesterday and by at uh uh at uh here this morning. I checked the account last night and we're okay it this morning I get a note, a note, I get a text from Wells that they want to uh give me the UH code for two step authentication. Okay, I look at it. I am on the account, so I'm fine and anyway and here A few minutes later, I get another text from Wells that we have and which I did not respond. I did nothing, okay, And then another a few minutes later that this person a person has been added to the Zelli accounts as a payee.
Speaker 1: And that it sounds like someone's got access to your to your computer or your phone. What uh, how can I help?
Speaker 3: I've been through this thing. Three I've been through I've had three people go and check the phone. They all the updates have total avvy with everything on it. Everything is up to date, and it can systemically comes up lean.
Speaker 1: Are you an Android or iPhone.
Speaker 3: Android the Galaxy S twenty four?
Speaker 1: Okay? And you are you running a VPN?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good and okay. So the problem is, so the question is why does this keep happening? Is that the question?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And what's more is that he's like today they got in and they transferred a thousand off a Zelli via Zellie and and there is no the two step authentication. They didn't just like it's being mirrored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's yeah. Okay, So a couple of things. How are you getting the two step authentication code? Is it through your phone number?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It comes from my It comes from Wells to my phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, So even got to the point.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: So first thing I would do is, well, number one, I think you need a new bank. Honestly, it sounds like their fraud systems are just not detecting this stuff properly, and so I would I would I would switch banks personally. Number one. Number two, it sounds like instead of using the phone number for the authentication codes, the two factor authentication codes, I would switch to an app, So download an app like AUF the au T h Y Duo duo, or you can use Microsoft or Google Authenticator, and I would switch to those instead of the text message because it sounds like someone has access to your text message. I can't exactly tell what's happening here, but this, there's this has happened one time too many times for this to be for me to be comfortable with this. So I know it's a pain to switch banks, but I probably would do that. And I would also when you set up your new bank, I would maybe look into setting up information that is slightly different than before. So maybe even you know, I don't know, just you got to think differently here because this is just this is getting to be a headache. You shouldn't have to be dealing with this only basis I'm telling you, folks, protecting your personal information is going to be priority number one moving forward. Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website rich on Tech dot TV. When you're there, be sure to join the newsletter. You will get a personal message from me, and yes it is very personal. I spend a lot of time writing it, and it's just packed with like good information that I think you should know about. Kind of like this show, but it's you know, it's directed to like all the stuff that happens during the week. I just say, oh, let me put that in the newsletter, and it's it's kind of taken on a life of its own. So if you enjoy that, just go to the website rich on Tech dot tv and pop in your email address and you will get that delivered to your inbox. You can follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech on Twitter are now known as x although nobody calls it that that I know, Facebook and Instagram at rich on Tech on those places. All right, let's bring up our guest, John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report. John is constantly driving the latest greatest electric cars, and today he is going to tell us about his time in the twenty twenty four Accura ZDX. John. Welcome to the show, hell Rich, welcome to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about Accura in general. Kim and I were just having a side conversation about how much we loved our Accuras. We both owned one. I had zero problems with the Accura. We bought it new and we ended up having to get rid of it because we got, you know, two kids instead of one and we need a little bigger car. But it was a it was an excellent excellent cars. That still the case with Accuras.
Speaker 9: It is and you are exactly the customer that Accur is hoping to reach with ZDX. Just so people know, Accura is the premium division of Honda and they and the ZDX is actuallys first ever all electric vehicle in the history of the company. And this particular vehicle is built in conjunction with General Motors on what is called the Ultium platform, and that platform for General Motors is actually handling the Blazer EV, the Lyric, the Equinox, the Artique, and the Silverado, and so it shares the platform, the motor, the batteries and everything. And so what Accura told us was that was that their customers wanted to make the change to our electric vehicle, they didn't have it. They found that the majority of those people went over to Tesla. So now Tesla is high on their chart for those customers that they're going after. The people who used to be accurate loyals like Kim and do. And then people that have had Hondas and they want to get back in the family again and they want to make the move to all electric.
Speaker 1: So what type of what type of range are we talking on this car?
Speaker 9: Well, the range depends on which which model that you're as you're that you're getting into. There are there are three models and they are.
Speaker 3: And so what you have is you have the A.
Speaker 9: Spec which comes in rubal drive and all will drive. And then you then have a Type S, which is the which is the performance model and it's and it comes in overly all will drive. And so the range, the range on these vehicles is going to be A Spec Ruble drive three hundred and thirteen miles, a Spec all will drive three or four, and for the F type it will be two hundred and seventy eight all electric miles.
Speaker 1: Okay, so around around three hundred, but in reality, you know, they want you to charge to eighty percent, so you know, two fifty two seventy depending on the model you get. I just saw Elon Musk promoting that the model why base model now gets three twenty uh standards, So I think this three hundred to you know, plus is kind of like the new standard. What did you think of this car? And by the way, the price on this car is it really seventy five grand?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: Well, if you get it fully loaded, the one the one that we drove on our media press program in Montecito, California. Yes, that's the one that we drove. But the pricing on us, let's want to just hit that real quick. So these prices include the mandatory thirteen hundred and fifty dollars destination charge. So the apec Roubill drive sixty five eight fifty aspec all will drive sixty nine eight fifty type that's all will be seventy four eight fifty. And then if you get it with the performance wheel entire package on the type will drive, it takes us a seventy five eight fifty. So yes, this is a very very excellent entry level BV for people the first one and they want to get into. They will not be disapplentyed with this vehicle at all. However, there are other competitors out there that offer similar range, better range, maybe better performance for less so people need to they just need to their shopping.
Speaker 1: So I mean you mentioned the Mustang, Machi and the Tesla. Why those are probably the two biggest competitors to this car. I've driven both of those. I've not driven the ZDX, but I imagine since it is an accurate it's you know, the fit and finish is great, the quality is great, but the pricing is is generally higher than those other two models. So what is your takeaway on this car?
Speaker 9: My takeaway that it was that it was extremely comfortable, very very comfortable to drive. It was it was roomy. Yeah, two digital, two digital displays on the dash and eleven entry your gages and eleven point three or for all your entertainment touch screen. It has Google built in, Apple car Play and Doren Auto. Those are all standards. So very comfortable, power everything once you're inside the car. Nice weather. But there's a question that I asked accurate. I said, since General Motors built this vehicle, and I know you they put their touches on, of course, do they consider this to be up to accurate premium luxury standards? And they said they do.
Speaker 1: So a GM. GM is actually building the entire car. I thought they just did the ultium part of it, like the battery part.
Speaker 9: No, they're building it in spring Hill, Tennessee. That's that's good because it qualifies for all the federal state credit.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well that's interesting. Yeah, so yeah, No, I'm curious about the charging connector because obviously this I'm guessing has the standard uh what is it CCS or something? And then are are they moving to the Tesla charger? Did they announce that or talk about that?
Speaker 9: Yes? They are.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's interesting because you're gonna get this car. They're going to have an adapter for this car, and then I guess future models will have the uh the Tesla built in? Is it? Is it smart to get a first run of an electric car like this? This is accurate as first go with this. People might be hesitant to get it because of that reason or is that no longer consideration in today's day and age.
Speaker 9: Well, this this vehicle has been again is impost general motors vehicles that I discussed, and they've been they've been driving them already on the road. So so it's it's proven and it's a it's a good technology. There's not nothing wrong with it at all. I enjoyed the vehicle. It was fast. I went out there and you know, it's it's it's got it's got about high four second range for Zerovice sixty and when we try to pass the big rigs and everything, it just as with all of these in support. So it was right there. So this is good. This is a vehicle that people will get and they will enjoy driving it.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: Actress says that they don't expect this to be a replacement for another accurate. They expect this to be an Actor family or a Honda family to add this to their household for because because obviously the range and everything, and it's so it's a they're they're they're they're very realistic about this. And it's already been announced that General Motors and Honda have have put a time limit on that that this is the only vehicle they are producer. And so the question came up with what's going to happen? Is this vehicle going to go away? And the answer was no, They're going to continue building this car under the ZDX name. However, starting in twenty twenty six, act will have their own in house built evs put on their own architecture. So what you're going to see is you're going to see this vehicle is going to stay around. Then there's going to be new accurate evs.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds a little confusing for the buyer because they wonder should they just wait for the accurate built evs. But I have no doubt that because this is Accura, you know, the quality is there, and of course they want to. I saw this car in person at the Chicago Auto Show. So it's a nice looking car, you know, reminiscent of the m d X and the the rd X. But we'll see, all right, John Faulkner, I'm going to link up your full review from Clean Fleet Reports on the website, rich on tech dot TV. Where you off to next? You're always every time I see you on Instagram, you are off to somewhere amazing. Where are you going next?
Speaker 9: Well, let's see. Next week in Los Angeles they're having the sheet pull on the new Cadillac up Teak, which is also being built on this platform. I'll be going. I have a trip to Detroit for the Silverado Rev and the Ecro CV. I'm going up to Seattle for the Mustang mocks E and so there's there's always something interesting to drive and to record on.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thanks and safe travels and have a great time.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: These Uh, these John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report. Uh, you can go to the website for the review of the Accura z d X. Just go to rich on Tech dot TV. If you haven't been to one of these, uh you know these press events for cars. Oh my gosh, I've been to a couple and uh yeah, they are fun and those car people know how to party. Let's put it that way. You are listening to rich on Tech. Coming up, it's the feedbag. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. Ending the show Man. This time goes so fast. I don't know how three hours goes by so fast. I can't sit through a three hour movie, but somehow I can do this. Let me get through a few apps before we get to the feedbag. Mind Trip dot Ai this is a brand new AI powered travel platform and it's it's kind of funny because you know, I get told about a lot of this stuff before it hits the market, and so AI mind Trip emailed me. They said, hey, we're going to launch this new travel platform and it's going to be incredible and it's all based on AI. And I said, look, I've heard that about a thousand times this year alone. So let me see, let me check it out, and you know, I will get back to you, and sure enough, I check it out and it is good. It's really interesting. So mind trip dot ai it's a it's a it takes like a really full featured approach to not just like a chatbot. But it gives you, like, you know, you take a quiz and tell it what kind of traveler you are, and the chat kind of like adapts to that. You can heart things so that if it recommends something, you can put it in a list, you can create an entire itinerary, you can keep track of expenses. I mean, it's really really full featured. They did a lot of good homework on it. So check it out. Mind trip dot ai just one more tool in the arsenal. Keep in mind it is using AI, so not everything it says, like I asked for a certain type of hotel in Sedona that was a Marriott, and it came back with a Hilton, you know, even though it said it was a Maria, And so you know, you just have to be aware of that stuff. The Arc browser has launched on Windows, presenting a challenge to Chrome and Edge. So Arc is this kind of new fangled brows that a lot of people like on mac os and iOS. I have not used it extensively, but I know there are a lot of fans of it. So that's why I'm telling you about it, because it's just one more option if you want to check it out the way I do things, I just download it, run it, see if I like it. If I like it, I'll continue using it. If not, you know, you move on. But the thing people like about this it's got a collapsible sidebar, a command bar for navigation, and various useful browsing tools. And again it's available for Windows eleven right now, So if you have the latest version of Windows eleven, you can download ARC for Windows. If you want to try out a different web browser, see how things are done a little bit differently. There will be a Windows ten version in the future. And if you use this on mac os and you also somehow have a Windows computer and you download it, you say, rich, this is not the same. Well, there are some features that are not available just yet, but they say they will have releases every week to reach parody between the two platforms. So again, the ARC browser, if you want to try something different on Windows and Shaka Guide this is an app that I met up with when I was in Hawaii. They have been doing this for eight years now and in Hawaii, so it's an app that turns your smartphone into a GPS powered audio tour guide. I love these things. You've heard me talk about it various cities that I go to. I always try to do a walking tour with an audio guide on my phone. It is such a great experience. And of course, obviously the real tour guide is always the best, like the human but that's not always possible. It's expensive, it might be on a timeframe that you can't do. So definitely download one of these apps to your phone to try out a GPS powered audio tour guide. This is mostly for the car, but they do have them walking as well. It's called Shaka Guide. They started out in Hawaii, so you can drive around Hawaii all the different places there. But they also just added national park and scenic drives here in the US mainland, so they've got Yosemite, Yellowstone, scenic drives like the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains. They spend a couple months researching each location, so this is not just done like from some office in Hawaii. No, they actually send people out to the locations. They research, they talk to locals, they come up with the guide, then they record it, and then they drive the guide and see what it's like. So tour start around ten dollars. Of course you can get a bundle which is a much better value. But Shaka guide, Shaka guide, and if you don't know what shaka is, I think it's like hang loose kind of thing. That's what I learned in Hawaii. All right, let's go to the feedbag. This is the feedback and the mail bag from you, and let's see this is from I think it was Nil's rich. I agree with you if that was this is about the Amazon when I went off about Amazon and the employees in India. I agree with you if that was the actual context of the comment, i e. Amazon was watching in real time what you buy as you bought it. The comment was completely ridiculous and your peers in the media should have put it in proper context and not turn that headline into clickbait. You should have handled your response better, too. Emotional responses do not help clarify the issue either. Wait, what are you talking about? Nils, I can't get emotional on this show, Okay, fine, objectivity wise, while Amazon, Facebook and among others cannot. It's inhumanly impossible to watch all that video in real time and react. Yes, that was my point to provide proper context as all of you should do. What you should have stated is that Amazon, Facebook Open AI can at a later point review recorded material and provide feedback to their llm's large language models as to whether or not it was right or not right. Open AI did that. Facebook does that, Amazon does it, Neils, you put this one properly. That's exactly That's exactly what I was trying to say that, Yes, they don't have a thousand people in an office watching every single camera from every single Amazon store in real time, but they go back in the review what decision that their AI systems made, and then they help guide that later on, and that is the training process. So yes, one hundred percent, thank you for clarifying that. On my behalf, Sean says, I just came across your video about the starlink on flights to Hawaii. Seems like a monumental improvement, which is great to see. Thanks for that video. On a separate tangent. I travel a lot, and I noticed your laptop seems to be a perfect size for taking on a plane. What size kind is it? I might end up getting one. Best wishes, Sean, Sean, It's funny you should ask this question because it actually wasn't a laptop. It was an iPad with the case on it. It was the iPad Pro with the smart keyboard Apple smart keyboard. The problem was my laptop. I made some major change to it, so I actually couldn't bring it to Hawaii. I tried to download my entire iCloud or delete everything in ie Cloud on my hi Cloud drive, and it literally stopped my computer from working for a week. So my computer I never felt so naked in my entire life. I could not bring my laptop to Hawaii. I was beside myself, so I had to bring an iPad. I don't recommend that if you actually have to get work done, because I think and a laptop is still the way to go. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me the website rich on tech dot tv. My name is rich Demiro. I will talk to you real soon.