Speaker 1: So look, today is special for a number of reasons. One is we have a guess we got somebody coming back. The homie Bridget tod is you know DC girl, which I really love because if you know me, you know my mama from DC and a lot of my family out there.
Speaker 2: So I always love when she when she pull up.
Speaker 1: But she ain't have a lot of time, so we tried to have as best conversation as we can. But you know, I'm saying, we're gonna talk about beef here. Obviously I don't mean wagoo. Yeah, I said, I'm talking about like you know, it's when you're not safe in the streets. As the prophet Biggie Small has told us, rest in peace. I think there's some some some things we need to think about, like Taiwan and China got beef, which is something.
Speaker 2: That we really better deal with.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know if we could deal with that, because that ain't our beef for his thing.
Speaker 2: I would have loved to have talked to Bridget about this, but you know, her.
Speaker 1: Time was short, and if there's anything your boy respects, it's other people's time.
Speaker 2: Now I'm talking about y'all should do the same but yeah, here's the thing about China and Taiwan.
Speaker 1: Taiwan make all of the computer chips, like all of them, and even the stuff that you don't think is like ran by chips. I mean, I know, you know your phone ran by chips, but you think about your dishwasher.
Speaker 2: What about every airbnb you.
Speaker 1: Go to Hou it's got a cold to let yourself into that that's a chip.
Speaker 2: Your washing machine, that's a chip.
Speaker 1: Like I don't think you realize, like how much of our life is controlled by these little chips that Taiwan makes. And I mean basically walk around your house. Anything that gotta screen on it got a chip in it. I'm China got beef with them. And you know, like I don't put it past Jijinping to try to pull a putin on Taiwan and try to be like you belong to us anyway, because you remember that's how that's how China feels about Taiwan in the same way that Russia feels about Ukraine, where it's like, no, nigga, you us, that's crazy beef. But anyway, I really enjoyed my conversation with my homegirl Bridget where she dropped some gems about some of the stuff she's been working on. So yo, let's listen to us. Hood Politics, y'all. All right, let's make it happen. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Hood Politics Special Edition. We got a return guess. I think you were the first and only return guests. We've no, no, no, We've had one return guess. Anyway, that's besides the point.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I would be so honored. I'm still very honored.
Speaker 2: You're still very honored.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to the the Homie bridget Todd.
Speaker 2: What's up with it?
Speaker 4: I am so happy to be here. Thank you for having me. The last time I was on, I had so much fun. And I remember you made this image that looks like we were about to drop a mixtape.
Speaker 3: Yes, I loved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were talking about cappin King of cap Yes, because I love the way your brain works as far as like creating podcast series, because I feel like they it's almost like they're like albums, cause it's like it's got a beginning and an end, and you're like taking us through this journey of like, look, here's a piece that's like completed. You know what I'm saying, like a fully developed thought. I just love the way your brain works when you do.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for noticing. That is definitely what I intend to do. I like to tell stories that have a beginning, middle, and end, mostly because I like a show like yours where it's ongoing and it's a different thing every week.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I did to myself. I was like, I think about that this morning. I was like, I don't know what I did to myself. Man, Like this was messed up. Prop your said, like, you gotta do this every week? Yeah, but every week a new story because man, nah, so these and I'm like, and the topic I chose, it's like, oh this is due.
Speaker 2: It wonders for my mental health, you know.
Speaker 1: Like it's like bro, Like I was like, dog, I'm a rapper, I'm a poet. Man, I like to do flowery stuff, you know. But anyway, that's besides the point. I'm glad we're here. You got a new project that it just fits so perfect with us.
Speaker 2: And it's about beef.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right. It is called Beef.
Speaker 4: It is a podcast about out the best juiciest rivalries that you've never heard of.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So. So, first of all, I asked you this bridget in one sentence, what's beef?
Speaker 3: Beef is?
Speaker 4: So the way that we're defining beef is very specific, because it's not just I don't like this person, it's I don't like this person and my that.
Speaker 3: Dislike is fueling me in some way.
Speaker 4: So beefs can be very petty, but they can also fuel innovation. They can make they can make the person who has beef better and smarter and more effective. Yeah, so it's a it's a beef, So to have it be one sentence, it's a beef that drives the beef haver forward.
Speaker 3: It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the correct answer I'm looking for is when you're not safe in the streets.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Biggie.
Speaker 3: Smart, I didn't get that.
Speaker 1: You missed that one. That is, what's beef is when you're not safe in the streets. Anyway, So, such an interesting, such an interesting idea. Obviously, beef's happened. The term, you know, obviously came from city like you got beef and being able to stretch it to this idea of like rivalries. It's always funny to me, like watching politicians have beef, especially because I'm like, y'all, I'll work in the same office. I don't understand how what are you What are you gonna do? What are you gonna do for lunch? Like you guys gotta go to the same buffet thing. Like you know what I'm saying, We're.
Speaker 3: Gonna see each other.
Speaker 1: You go see each other because you got to go to the say office, Like this is absurd, guys, which I think in some ways, like putting the camera lens really wide, even on like some inner city stuff like there there are there are times that even growing up, you kind of like have these like quick moments of clarity where you're like, okay, those ops over there, right this this rival hood. I'm like, well, I mean you only live over there because that's where his mama pay his rent. That's the all you reason, Nashal, That's the only reason this is my hood is just that's where we It's where our parents pay rent. So I guess this is where we is, so we don't even own these blocks. And then I'm like, we went to the same head start, we had the same babysitters, We was in the same after school programs in the same county line. I don't know understand, just we just decided one day we was enemies, Like what are we doing like this? This is absurd? You know. Uh So oftentimes when I think of, like, at least in our modern uh politics, when I think of beef I think of them like that. I'm like, dog, you you work at the same office. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it reminds what you're saying reminds me so much of that chazy line. Don't die over the block where your mom rents. Yeah, you know, it's like by happenstance here you live here, Yeah, making it a whole thing of like I need to protect this and defend this block. It's like, well, yeah, it's not is that is it really? Like so you really zoom out like is it doesn't make a ton of sense. And it's because I I did not grow up experiencing a lot of rivalries and beefs. Even as an adult, I definitely have people who I I admire them and I see what they're doing or I don't. I don't really have a lot of my life is not fueled by nemesis and beefs. Yeah, I don't have a nemesis. You didn't have a nemesis.
Speaker 3: I had a nemesis. Do you have a nemesis?
Speaker 2: I did? I remember I was thinking of thinking of my.
Speaker 1: Nemesis and like a high school a little light skinned dude, you know, and if you had you since them with the amount of melanin, you got equal to my melanin, right, and the age we ad obviously my nemesis was this little light skinned dude, pretty ricky what they call. Yeah, I'm pretty ricky, that's right. Oh I had issue with pretty.
Speaker 2: Rinky, you know.
Speaker 1: Uh So, so when I'm thinking, I was thinking about it, like you know, we played a lot of the say sports, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like it was in a lot of same things.
Speaker 1: You know, it was friendly, you know what I mean, but like on some like Bud low Key though, like I don't know if we like each other.
Speaker 3: You know, where is your nemesis today? Do you know?
Speaker 2: I do know?
Speaker 1: And if like what like, if I tell you more information, y'all would know exactly who he is. And that's what the part that's like, it's kind of I don't want to like because it's like, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, we're adults. Now it's so stupid, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But like, well, you know, when we was in middle school, you know what I'm saying, Uh, it.
Speaker 2: Was a thing, you feel me.
Speaker 1: It never never spoken, nobody ever liked it, never acknowledged it. But I know, I know that boy was looking at me the way I was looking at him. But he, like, I mean, he was he was an A lister, like an A list celebrity for a while, you know what I'm saying, And.
Speaker 4: God I have I might tell you, Okay, okay, I'll tell you recording already.
Speaker 3: I'm already piecing together some series.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, but I think there were I think the way that you're describing it, there was definitely like moments where I feel like we did, like as you said, like we did kind of push us pushy each other to like excellence, because like you know, I didn't carry that type of like mass. Like my version of toxic masculinity is is is a very specific kind of niche, you.
Speaker 2: Know, breathe.
Speaker 1: I don't have the obvious big truck, you know, soul whatever, can you beat me up type type masculinity. I have more the like workaholic, I'm going to outperform you. I got the hustle problem. You know what I'm saying. It it's just like there is no off days, you know, mid work I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Which has its own like rewards and fault like stepbacks, right like having that like it's its own weird things.
Speaker 2: I was like, I got niche.
Speaker 1: It's a very niche like because because the rewards are obvious, you know what I'm saying, but the drawbacks aren't. Some of the drawbacks are like I can't I can't tell you how many of my children's birthdays I missed. You know what I'm saying, because I was hustling. You feel me And I'm like, well, how you think you're paying for this?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? All that type of stuff.
Speaker 4: It's funny to hear you say this because when I think about people, you know, oftentimes creatives, it's like like, you're a rapper, you're a writer, you're a a you make a coffee company, like you do so much. And I think it's one of those things where I love that about creatives. How you get passionate about passionate about something and you want to explore it, but that that means that you're your your hand is always in several pops, and you're always very busy. It doesn't always leave time for you know, other pursuits in your life. And so it's it's both a good and a bad, and that it is. I admire that about creatives like yourself, because you're definitely like one of the hardest working in people in out there, like you are in so many things, also showing up for you know, other stuff too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, but that's it. I'm actually reminded of my own work, as corny as this is. But in my last book, I have a poem about Mars being essentially like we're just gonna treat it like another gold rush. But like, but the turn of the poem is essentially like, rather than looking at space, like look at ourselves and like we kind of treat ourselves as just a resource, like a fossil fuel, you know what I mean. So I'm treating myself like my creativity I am just a gold rush. I'm just here just farming things out of myself, you know what I'm saying. And like, what a what a horrible relationship to have with your talents?
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 1: I just I know, right, I mean, it's like it's my own work. But I'm like, god, damn, I'm doing that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Well that really makes me think, cause like it's so when you think about you, when you think about your talents as a resource that you were just like commodifying. Yeah, it's such an extractive relationship where you're just like, what can I take from it? What can I mind from it? How can I turn this into a hustle or a dollar or a gig? And it's like.
Speaker 3: It's where is the I mean, I'm thinking about my.
Speaker 4: Own relationship with my work, but it's like, where are you nurturing? Where are you blustering?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Like, wow, huh Jesus.
Speaker 2: I know, dude, but we didn't come to talk about that.
Speaker 3: But I'm getting deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, that's what I like talking to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a few beets I want to ask you about and just kind of hear you spit by them, but I want to hear if you can share some of the ones that you're going to walk us through on your show.
Speaker 4: Well, I gotta start. First of all, I have to shout out my team. The Next Chapter podcast team. I wish I could take credit for the show. It's really a team effort. Our creator Jeremiah Tittle, our producer Pete Musto, Amazing, amazing folks. Probably the beef that I am most fascinated by is the one between soul singers Joe Texts and James Brown, because, first of all, one of the things that's interesting about them is that even if you don't know who Joe text is, you've probably heard his songs and there's a good chance you might think they're James brown songs because they sound so much alike, and so that is interesting. They both a big part of their rivalry was how they both danced on stage, and so each of them thought that the other was like stealing their signature.
Speaker 2: YEurope movie writer. Okay.
Speaker 3: They would make fun.
Speaker 4: Of each other via dance moves, like you know how James Brown would do the trick with the cape where he would tend to like it's almost to put a cape on him and walk him off stage to make fun of James Browne would do that in a biting, mocking way, and people it was like very clear. So it's it's like petty mean tip for tap back and forth on stage.
Speaker 3: Uh, their rivalry ended as as as the story goes.
Speaker 4: At one point came to actual gun play where at a Joe Tech's concert, James Brown walked into a nightclub and just opened fire and then started handing out one hundred dollars bills to people afterward. Luckily nobody was killed. But uh, it's like the the stuff, the stuff that you think of is like you know, the beat, like the way beefs play.
Speaker 3: Out in modern day.
Speaker 4: All of that shit is there, all the ups and down, the excitement of beefs are there in these historical beams.
Speaker 3: It's so fascinating.
Speaker 1: That is wonderful, especially because of I mean James Brown. As much as he's the godfather of the soul, there's so much about him that's like a cartoon character to me, that like is which I don't say that in a pejorative manner, but just the game dialed up to forty five, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They just larger than life.
Speaker 1: And as a as a personal note on his last like national tour, one of my good friends got to open for him his little his little white rapper named Braille, who's a pastor now, but he was he opened for James Brown, and I remember we saw him at the Greek Theater right here in la and it was one of the most surreal things I've ever experienced.
Speaker 3: I would die of happens.
Speaker 4: It's like a lot one of my life's problems that I never got to see James Brown live because I've heard his performances were.
Speaker 2: It was unreal.
Speaker 1: So demands in his eighties at the time, you know, and all the stuff about his band and all that. It was like, yeah, nah, I get it that like perfection the band, right, and and my whole boy was telling me just all this stuff. He was like, bro, like you have no idea what it's like, Like I know, you know what it's like being around old black man because you're a black man. But he's like, but touring with like sitting back and them showing me like and they all want to start producing, so they learning like showing them garage band beats, like hey so so young buck, young buck, young buck, let me show you like, And he was.
Speaker 3: Just telling can you imagine, Oh my good.
Speaker 1: And you gotta just sit and listen, think about think about think about unk, like this is unk.
Speaker 2: You have to listen to unk. You can't walk away from unc like and.
Speaker 3: You can't sort of pretend like what he's ground breaking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta pretend ukn't be Nah, don't play around with uck.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Not only is this already uncle, but it's James Brown's band. What the hell you gonna say to them? Good lord? Okay, So that's a good one. I also heard you talk about on was it? I think it was the Zeigeist show that you do on one with the about Brent Michaels mm hm.
Speaker 4: The rivalry between Brett the Hitman Heart and Sean Michael, which is kind of interesting because when I was little, I my brothers and my cousins were obsessed with wrestling, and so I grew up kind of with it in the background of my childhood. My brother loved what was that guy, the Undertaker? What was his character?
Speaker 2: He loved of course.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think the wrestling, the wrestling rivalry is so interesting because wrestling it's such a performance, right, and so everyone knows it's fake, but the rivalries are often real, right, and so like it's so interesting of this like they're performing, but they really do hate each other.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's like I mean in the same way, like I think of that, Like obviously, for me, the easiest rivalry, the easiest beef is like the Lakers and the Celtics' the la dude, we will We genuinely don't like each other, right, And it's just a jersey And I'm like, that's a man again.
Speaker 2: They just at work, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're coworkers.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I'm in the I'm in the stands wearing another man's name on my back. You know what I'm saying, Yelling at another guy who owns a whopping zero percent of this company.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like what is we?
Speaker 1: But I genuinely don't like like yeah, like except me and Sophie, that's what we share, like we genuinely I don't even like the colored green, you know what I'm saying, because because it's Celtics.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I think I recently.
Speaker 4: Watched a Celtics Lakers game a couple of months ago at a bar where like a tension, it was a close it was a close game, attention was palpable.
Speaker 3: It's like it was like this is this is real? This is real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's absurd, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but yeah, the idea, especially with pro wrestling, like in the sense that in some ways all sports they're just like like pro wrestling is just very mask off in the sense that like, no, I'm letting you in. But in some ways, every sport has heels and heroes and a narrative arc. And because these are for profit institutions, you know what I'm saying, and there are people moving pieces around to make sure that it stays entertaining, you know.
Speaker 2: And even in that, like.
Speaker 1: Like I said, like in basketball, if you just get drafted or if you get traded to another team, don't care how you feel about that team. You post a report, you feel me right, and now it's a new team because you're there, you know. So but yeah, the but yeah, but we're wrestling, like, yeah, I jumped off my tenth birthday. We did a WrestleMania party, Oh my god, and that was about it. That was when I was done because I was like, I'm done with that. It just for me, It's like I don't do well, which is what leads me to this what I really want to talk to about. As far as like the hood stuff are the politics stuff is I I don't do well with like with with tea and with like like gossip and cheese man like keeping up with that, Like I've never done well with that like that ever, you know what I'm saying. So even even even on like some street stuff to when it was like, hey, homie age, you hear about so and so that food talked about this nigga.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Hey, So we rolled up to this party and I'm like.
Speaker 1: I.
Speaker 2: Don't. I wasn't there. I don't. I don't care like he said what to who?
Speaker 1: Because he was hitting all your girl, that's not even your girl, Like, just I just don't. That stuff is exhausting to me, you know what I mean. Yeah, So, when I realized to be able to stay engaged with wrestling, I had to keep up with the like have you heards.
Speaker 2: I was like, I can't keep up with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We have an interview in that episode with a historian who focuses on wrestling, who's written like books about it, and that was one of the things that he talks about in this rivalry is.
Speaker 3: How the the out of the.
Speaker 4: Ring gossip became part of it, right, and so it wasn't just about what happened when you stepped into the ring. It was about who said what at a party, who's partner did this or that? Like, and it involved an incredible amount of like lore and who said what to understand how these how these men felt about each other in the ring. And so it's interesting that like that just seemed exhaust I kind of understand why that seemed exhausting to you, where it's like, oh, I have to care about the backstories of these people, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is this?
Speaker 3: You know, it's like I'm not watching Real Housewives.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly exactly, and I yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The idea that there's an entire category of show that's just about keeping up with gossip, I'm just like that makes me itchy. I'm like, I it's just exhausting to me. And I don't for whatever reason, that just has never I've never found that entertain sounds like work.
Speaker 3: You already have several jobs.
Speaker 2: I already have several jobs.
Speaker 1: But I think coming up now is probablybably the most relevant, like modern and you might know where I'm going with this, Like the newest, the newest beef, that's that's that's coming up. You know what I'm saying is obviously it's gonna be the twenty twenty four election, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, the most obvious beef.
Speaker 1: Now I did a show, Uh, I did an episode last year and it was called how fifty did Jah? Now, I'm gonna remind you of this, of this story in our lives. You know, this early early mid two thousands moment in time when I think people forget how on top of the world?
Speaker 6: Jah?
Speaker 1: Rule was like, I don't I know, he's a meme, you know what I'm saying, But y'all like.
Speaker 2: You was, he was on top of the world.
Speaker 3: He was on top of the.
Speaker 1: World, Like I don't think so easy forget you forget like top of the world like Drake level, like Jah was on top.
Speaker 2: Of the world.
Speaker 1: World fifty was just this New York, Jamaica Queen's Green Lantern mixtape Hungry just street goon, right, and he and on the Get Rich or Die Trying album, fifty had all these interludes where he was making fun of job about singing randomly on songs and on everybody's chorus. So he would have somebody rapping and fifty would go.
Speaker 2: Well, what I be with out yo.
Speaker 1: He was just he was making fun of Jaw And then and then finally there was My favorite interlude on that record was and now jaw Rule featuring jaw Rule, right because jaw was on every.
Speaker 3: Song so fucking funny, right, It's really it's like so mean and clever.
Speaker 2: So mean and clever.
Speaker 1: But and how clever it was was because it's exactly what fifty does. Fifty sings raspy on choruses. I was like, that's what you're doing, like you's a window shop. Uh mad at me? I thinking, no, you're doing you're making fun of job, but you're doing what Joah did.
Speaker 4: Right, And it's so interesting because like that is like the there's like a nugget of like what so many of these rivalries are about.
Speaker 3: It's like y'all are too similar, y'all.
Speaker 4: Y'all, y'all have the same thing, the same the same like you do the same thing, and you just like don't like that you're both doing it.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's like he so in him, just making fun of him. He replaced him, like you just took his job. So it's like you what you didn't hate him, you wanted to be him, do you know what I'm saying, absolutely, and I'm like and fool. It worked, So in my mind I was like this, my friends, is Ron desantles?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, Also that was a masterful like podcast leap there.
Speaker 3: That was like, that was very well I see when you did that. That was very well done.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Respect But yeah, so what do you think of that?
Speaker 1: What do you, like, like, talk to me about that Beef if you were gonna if this was like ten years from now and you were doing a Beef season seven and there'd be a few episodes about Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump, Like, what would some of the stuff you would talk about in that?
Speaker 4: Well, I think kind of like what you were saying with John fifty. In my view, I think that Ron DeSantis is doing Trump, and I think that he's doing Trump better than Trump does Trump, and I think that Trump's nervous about that.
Speaker 3: Like I think that Ron de.
Speaker 4: Santis is doing the same kind of shtick that Trump does.
Speaker 3: He has.
Speaker 4: The thing that's so insidious about him is I think that he has identified some of the ways that that Trump's whole like horrible, racist, transphobic nonsense shick. I think he identified some pressure points of ways that it didn't work. Yeah, and so he's not gonna do those things, and so he he's just as repugnant, but he knows how to pull it back just enough.
Speaker 3: You know, he knows how.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, well, there are some things that are unseemly, I'm gonna not do that.
Speaker 3: In my book, it's almost like worse that he's able to.
Speaker 4: Kind of have kind of present a sort of more palatable version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what Trump does.
Speaker 4: I think I honestly think that he's really studied Trump stick and knows how to make it my.
Speaker 2: Man gestures of everything exactly.
Speaker 4: And also I worry that Trump was someone who was easily undone by things like ego, and I wonder if that is true about Rohnda Santas.
Speaker 1: I wonder that's good because yeah, like he's a Trump that can govern and that's what to me, what's what's what's also what's very insidious about him?
Speaker 2: I'm like, he can actually he can actually.
Speaker 1: Do the job said like you know where you're like, okay, Trump's pretending to be an elected official, Like he's like no, I he actually knows what he's doing. And that is like again, the fifty did jah thing because I'm like, well, fifty care like really rap right? I was like, and he's actually a great businessman because we know how murder inc went.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I wonder, like you said, I wonder what. I wonder what the Centrus's pressure point is. And I also wonder so with this, like the Dominion Machine lawsuit happening and the screenshots coming out with the Fox News correspondence like them all in the group text, which is like, damn, you broke the rules, cuz y'all let the screenshots come out, like homie, you never let the group text come out right, like.
Speaker 2: That's just rules.
Speaker 1: Like and I feel like, now, as a side note, I will say this, I feel like anything said inside of the group text should not be You shouldn't be held liable.
Speaker 2: In court over stuff in the group You shouldn't.
Speaker 4: That was Ted Cruise's undoing when he tried to Fleet of Mexico during that storm.
Speaker 3: His own group chat betrayed it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I feel like that you should that the group chat should be where you should be.
Speaker 2: You should be complete.
Speaker 1: Everyone's allowed to be completely masked off in the group text.
Speaker 2: I I completely agree.
Speaker 1: I yes, but In that group text, they were mask off talking about how much they can't stand in this nigga trump right, which to me in some ways and this is why I'm trying to send them the Sansus.
Speaker 2: In some ways was a relief.
Speaker 1: In the sense that I'm like, you don't really believe this, Like and it's like you know when you looking at somebody, you looking at them, and I'm like, wait, are you You're messing around like you're you don't really believe you just you just getting your money? Right, Like tell me you just getting your money? Ain't no way you you don't really believe this, do you?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So in some ways I felt a sense of relief, like oh, okay, okay, cool, Like you don't really believe this, you just getting your money.
Speaker 2: And then you and then you flip back around.
Speaker 1: To be like you're a monster, like you like you really damn you really just did this to get your money, you know what I'm saying. So I say that to say, I wonder if if DeSantis is the same is like, and if he'll ever wink at us and like, well, no, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: What a good question, because I know when the whole like group chats and stuff coming out and like correspondence it was. I have been following Tucker Carlson's career for most of my adult career, and I think this is the first time that we ever got like contrition from him or he was like, oh, I have to acknowledge that what I say on television and what I've said privately are two vastly different things. This might be the first time, at least since I've been monitoring Fox News, that we've ever gotten that from him. I wonder about DeSantis. That's such a great question if he if will ever get a kind.
Speaker 2: Of wink and not like you know, yeah, like will he ever sort.
Speaker 4: Of acknowledge like this is all just I'm just trying to get paid, I'm trying to get power.
Speaker 3: If this is what I have to say, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 1: And then to know like cause I just you know, like you said, like Trump's ego is like I mean, rice paper than you know what I'm saying, So you you know, in some senses, like he's lived so long in his own like delusion that like, oh you really believe this? You know what I'm saying I feel like somebody like in the Santus is like and I'm even thinking like the way he first responded to COVID, like cause y'all remember his first response was like everybody else is, which is like, yo, this is a y'all gotta get your vaccines.
Speaker 2: Man, it's out here.
Speaker 1: Crazy and this is bad. This is bad everybody. Oh wait, that's don't okay. You know what beaches are open? You know what I'm saying. It's like, you know, so the way that he flipped so fast to me is like, that's not that's not a dynamic like mind change, Like you didn't. You didn't change your mind. You you played the game, you know what I mean. So I just kind of wonder, I wonder when. I wonder if and when he'll ever like like kind of wink and gunnas.
Speaker 3: That's such a good question.
Speaker 4: I think I definitely see him as someone who is playing the game. And again, like I think Trump was, continues to be like an awful, repugnant human being who has no place in government or anywhere else but lucky, lucky for us, he is a small man, easily undone by his papers and ego.
Speaker 3: As you said, and so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm curious to see what So yeah, like like yeah, will the santis be the same way, like like what are his what are his like pressure points and frailties that will be his undoing because.
Speaker 3: That's the thing like people who we're talking.
Speaker 4: About, small men who don't stand for anything, they don't have values, they don't have they don't have codes, and so it's gonna be for when a man doesn't have a code, there's always.
Speaker 3: Gonna be something that will be his undo. It's just like it's just like how it works.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you nailed it, you always got to have to have a code or some gonna undo you, which which brings me to my last question this like, so now I'm picturing it's it's almost like a foregone conclusion that they're going to be the two top likenomies, right, So I'm picturing their debate and I'm picturing their posturing, right And because again in my mind, I'm like.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at fifty cent and job rule to me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I'm just like John made a number of like mistakes trying to like answer fifty because fifty is like in some ways it's kind of weird because fifty is like the ultimate troll, Like he's Fifty's funny every Yes, and that's the hard part. It's like he's actually very funny, you know. And I think we've all we've all like kind of accepted the fact that that fact about Trump, Trump is genuinely funny, you know what I mean, Like he's actually funny.
Speaker 2: So but Trump pell troll, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I just kind of wonder, like, what would be your prediction on how this beef is going to play out when it's on a debate stage.
Speaker 4: Oh, what a good question if I had to say, So, I agree with you as much as I cannot stand Trump.
Speaker 3: He's funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has a he has a like he understands media, like he's a reality TV guy, Like he understands television and media. Yes, I don't think that Ronda Santis like like Ronda Santis has never said anything funny. He's not someone who has demonstrated that, like like he loves a stunt. But there's a difference between being being someone who is a stunt queen and somebody who was actually can like the cameras on you deliver a line, and so I think that Trump just really has that has that gift.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, if you come up in a reality TV it's not surprising that you know how to get an audience and you know, you know how when the camera's on, how to how to drop the.
Speaker 2: Line, Doug. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if he Yeah, I wonder if he's gonna play it like straight and just being like sir, like I mean, because I'm picturing like I would it would just be like like damn man, like you were my hero, Like I would be playing it like that, like bro, like I believed like you were my hero man, Like I don't understand. You have so much you need to handle right now, Like you don't even have time for this, you know what I'm saying, Like, Bro, didn't you just get indicted.
Speaker 3: Though faithing active like you might go to jail.
Speaker 1: You're finna go to jail, fam Like how you even got time for all this?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We just did the episode that I think came out before this one that's when it releases. Is we basically talked about j Cole's song No Role Models, which is essentially like you know, don't save her.
Speaker 2: She don't. She don't want to be saved.
Speaker 1: She all said so, like, and I feel like that is like half of the GOP is screaming, listen, he don't want to be saved, y'all.
Speaker 2: Like, no, that man, listen, he hitting the lick. He want to hit. He don't want to be saved.
Speaker 3: Completely agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like if I'm Rond Santos, that would be my answer. I'm like, we can't be captain save Aho out here, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta we gotta country to run. Man, he don't he don't want to be saved, y'all.
Speaker 1: See this, Like if you on stage, like you see this, this who we are? Like, he don't want to be saved, y'all? Like it is what I'm trying to tell you. It's not like that man don't know what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: But what is this dude? Like he don't want to be saved?
Speaker 4: Y'all?
Speaker 2: That's what I would do.
Speaker 4: I think that would be like if I was advising the Santis, I would give the exact same advice, you know. And I think like Trump is the kind of guy that you can give him enough rope to hang him exactly.
Speaker 5: You can.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 4: You can like let him take the stage and be like, well, is this what you want governing? Like yeah, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah, all that, that's exactly it. You let the man talk and then you be like, what did you just say?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: Like you just said a million things. You ain't even answer the question. Listen, guys, I'm saying that. It just turned to the crowd and just be like, we can't I don't even know what this man said.
Speaker 2: Like you don't like.
Speaker 3: I can't run into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't respond to it because I don't even understand what he said. Did y'all understand what he said? I don't know what was you talking about? Why did you talking about the twenty twenty elections? Still like that's a whole president ago, Like that's what I would say.
Speaker 3: You say, great advice.
Speaker 4: If the Santus is listening, he can take that advice, Ronnie, or don't take it.
Speaker 3: And then Louke, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Also have this.
Speaker 1: I also have this last theory, which I mean, I don't know if this is provable, but like when I see his name, ron DeSantis, I'm like, you think I don't know your name is Dessantos.
Speaker 4: Ooh, it's not funny how like how he was like, oh, I grew up in Tampa Bay, which is like a very like Latino neighborhood area. And he was like, but I identify as someone from Pennsylvania. It's like, first of all, Pennsylvania stolen valor.
Speaker 2: You can't just like yeah, culturally.
Speaker 4: Claim Pennsylvania when you're from Tampa Bay and also Tampa Bay, like be proud of Tampa Bay. It almost seems like a like a like a fuck you to Tampa Bay community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would you not be De Santos? Like everybody who is De Santos? And I'm like, DeSantis, you made that name up, bro, Like you're trying to wipen your name of dog. Y'all know you made that up your name Like I used to think that about like Devin Nunis.
Speaker 2: I'm like, your name is nun Yez. You gotta here. I know what you're doing because like you got a Spanish name. Why did y'all?
Speaker 1: Why do y'all do this? Ted Cruise, you are Raphael? Okay, why why do y'all do this? Yo? Anyway, Well, I don't want to take um all your time, cause you got things you gotta do. Can you please tell everybody where to find you and all that good stuff?
Speaker 4: Well, you should definitely listen to Beef on everywhere you get your podcasts. Uh, you found this podcast and you probably know how to find podcasts.
Speaker 3: It's Beef with Bridget Todd. When do you search? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You can follow me on Twitter at fridghitp Marie or on Instagram at friendship Marie in DC.
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Bridget for squeezing this in. Man, this is super fun, dude, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: This was a delight.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know why I ain't thought of this before, but you know, you could use promo code hood for fifteen percent off on terraform coolbrew dot com. Like I forgot I own that company and this is my pod.
Speaker 2: Y'all, go ahead and punch it. Promo cold Hood if you in the cold Brew, get you some cold brew, gonna get you some coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I can't believe I ain't think of this still right.
Speaker 5: Now, y'all, y'all.
Speaker 1: This thing right here was recorded by Me Propaganda and East Lows, boil Heights, Los Angeles, California. This thing was mixed, edited, mastered, and scored by the one and the only Matt Awsowski. Y'all check out this fool's music. I mean it's incredible. Executive produced by Sophie Lichterman for Cool Zone Media. Man, and thank you for everybody who continue to tap in with us. Make sure you leaving reviews and five star ratings and sharing it with the homies so we could get this thing pushed up in the algorithm and listen. I just want to remind you these people is not smarter than you. If you understand city living, you understand politics.
Speaker 5: We'll see you next week.