Speaker 1: All right, welcome everybody to the bonus episode of Politics, which I'll drop periodically throughout this inaugural season. Now, these episodes won't be like your typical Spolitics episodes. Sometimes it'll be just me as it is today, and sometimes I may have a guess it's just me sort of reacting to things as they say in real time. First, I want to start on the thoughts or my thoughts rather on this election. I've been really careful about sharing my thoughts on this election. I mostly haven't shared it in a public space, just because, you know, I really needed to process and sort of really think about what I wanted to say, and not that what I have to say is so revolutionary compared to what other people have been saying. But I think it's pretty clear and it's pretty evident what happened.
Speaker 2: And as for me, this was.
Speaker 1: Not something that was surprising in the lightest that Kamala Harris would lose to Donald Trump, because I like this was a direction that we were sort of headed in, you know, and this hasn't just been in the making when Kamala Harris became the head of the Democratic presidential nominee in terms of the ticket, this was something I think that has been going for much longer than that heading towards this particular moment, and mostly because I know this as a journalist and seeing all the information that's out there on social media, is that journalists, or very specifically I should say the Democratic Party, but it's also tied to journalism overall. They've lost the information war, and this is a defeat that was quite clear in to how, you know, some of the various campaign ads, which I'll get into in a moment, but also the way that people were processing the information. And you know, when you looked at any social media site, it was just flooded with misinformation. And I think we're at a point now in society where in our classroom, on campuses, and just in our daily lives that a lot of people need to be able to decipher between misinformation, disinformation and truth. And a lot of the feelings that are evoked in this election, often a lot of it was led by misinformation. So I was not surprised, and I'm not saying that's the only reason that people didn't elect Kamala Harris. I think there were other factors that were at play, but I wasn't surprised. And here's proof that I wasn't surprised, because about a month ago, I was asked at an event that was put on by the Atlantic, where I also know, right I'm a contributing writer for The Atlantic, as many of you know, where I cover the intersection between race, sports, politics, gender and culture. I was doing an event on Michigan State's campus and I was asked who I thought would win this election.
Speaker 2: And here's what I said, quickly before we go.
Speaker 3: If the election were held today, who's going to win? Donald Trump? If the election were held today, who's going to win? Kamala Harris?
Speaker 2: I think Trump will win.
Speaker 3: But there's three weeks left. There's a lot of game left, as they.
Speaker 1: Say, so clearly I did see this coming, but I still don't think that makes it any more difficult to accept. As many of you all know, I've had my own personal history with Donald Trump. Back in back in twenty seventeen, I tweeted that the president is a white supremacist. These are words I still stand on, words I think that have been proven ever since then and were proven before I said it. And that tweet, of course, changed my career in many ways. It changed how people perceive me. It changed a lot of things. And the president in response, he said I should be fired. He blamed me for ESPN's ratings being not healthy, apparently, and the then Press Secretary Sarah Helckabe Sanders, who is now the govern of Arkansas, also said that I should be fired. So yes, I take the reelection of Donald Trump quite personally because of the person themselves.
Speaker 2: But also as a black woman. And that is.
Speaker 1: Because I think for a lot of black women we can relate to Kamala Harris just in the sense of some of us have been in that position before where we felt qualified, if not overqualified in many respects, and for a lot of Black women, even though we should not internalize it this way, it felt like a particular rejection of some of the things that we've been fighting for, or it felt like a particular rejection of sort of our place and how we're seen in this society. And I don't think it's by any accident that both of Trump's presidential victories have been against women Hillary Rodham Clinton of course in twenty sixteen, and now in Kamala Harris, because some of those same tropes have come up in both elections and so it does make you wonder at what point I hate to use the word ready, but at what point will America be ready for a woman to be in that role. I think it's a question we have to ask ourselves, is like, what is it going to take? Because I see all this, you know, all these post election autopsies trying to box around what I think was pretty obvious about how racism and misogyny we're driving a lot of the coverage, the opinions, and even how the electorates saw Kamala Harris, and so if y'all want to fight about it, let's fight about it.
Speaker 2: But I think it was particularly evident.
Speaker 1: But now it's time to turn the page, and I think it's important as we think about what another Trump presidency could mean. I think it's important that we think about what this might mean in terms of the world of sports, because I think how a Trump presidency will impact the world of sports this time around will be a lot different than it was the first time around.
Speaker 2: Now, if you all remember from.
Speaker 1: That time when Trump was first in office, he was able to use certain sports issues as a political football that helped more endear himself to his base that maybe in some respects, you could say, grew his base, and one of those ways was his attacks on NFL players and Colin Kaepernick in particular, who in twenty sixteen, before he became president, Colin of course, decided to take a knee to protest against social injustice. This became arguably the biggest story in sports, certainly a very important story, and so that gave us a window as to what to expect from a Trump presidency.
Speaker 2: Now, even though we don't have.
Speaker 1: A Colin Kaepernick in this moment, I think one of the biggest things we have to look at is how Trump's plans for the US Department of Education, how that may factor into how athletes are treated this go around. So I want you to pay attention to something he said about the Department of Education. Here's that sound right now.
Speaker 2: We're going to end education coming out of Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: We're going to close it up, all those buildings all over the place, and you have people that in many cases hate our children.
Speaker 3: We're going to send it all back to the States. Now.
Speaker 1: Of course, a lot of people are applauding this, which is kind of crazy to me, but I get it because a lot of us don't really fully understand the difference between how the Department of Education operates and how the.
Speaker 2: State Board of Education operates.
Speaker 1: I think there is certainly a degree of satisfaction that people feel by the idea of disbanding a government department over an issue that a lot of people in this country aren't happy with, and that is education, even though by certain metrics it shows America is still one of the top places to be educated. Now, this isn't me trying to cape for our educational system, because when you do a dive to where American students rank in math and science, that tells a much different story. The United States ranks thirty fourth in math, sixteenth in science.
Speaker 2: And as someone who went to.
Speaker 1: Public school in Detroit, I know that a lot of inner city schools face a lot.
Speaker 2: Of educational challenges.
Speaker 1: But let's take a look at the Department of Education and how that correlates to sports. One of the most important elements of the Department of Education is enforcing Title nine. Now, I don't need to tell you the importance of Title nine, but in case you need to remember, it's the single most important piece of legislation in the history of women's sports. Title nine was enacted by Congress in nineteen seventy two. Title nine prohibits sex discrimination in education. When Title nine was formed, it wasn't intended to be the bridge that necessarily opened the access point for women in collegiate sports, but that's essentially what happened. The Department of Education enforces and investigates Title nine violations. These violations range from investigating inequities between men's and women'sport worts inside of the athletic departments, and this part is really important to also including investigating sexual assaults that happen on campus. Now, we have some indication of how Trump's administration will handle Title nine enforcement based off what his administration did the first time around, and based off the plans laid out in Project twenty twenty five, you know, the playbook for his second term that Trump claims to not know anything about. That's what I'm talking about when I refer to Project twenty twenty five. Now, in his first term, Trump appointed Betsy Devas as the Education Secretary, and when the first thing she did was take some teeth out of Title nine protections. Now, among the many new policies that Betsy DeVos instituted to Title nine the most egregious was accused rapists were allowed to cross examine their alleged victims in a live trial. Please don't tell me, I have to explain to you why that is really fucked up. Based on what's proposed for Title nine to Project twenty twenty five, the goal is to make the process of filing a complaint for any discrimination that fall under Title nine painful and lengthy, and it would basically require those who come forward with Title nine complaints to have a legal team. It does everything possible to discourage people from coming forward for highlighting abuses that are happening in the system, and that doesn't just apply to sexual assault, but virtually any violation of Title nine. Now as it is, there are some eighty percent of athletic departments that are not fully compliant with Title nine. Although to various degrees, if Title nine is put under the Department of Justice or it's under the supervision of the state, Title nine it may as well not exist. The Department of Justice isn't going to have much incentive to investigate anything, and the states may not have the resources to take it on either. Now there's a lot of people saying that again this is a good idea to get rid of the Department of Education. But I'll go back to something I said previously. I need you all to understand how the Department of Education actually works. So in nineteen seventy nine, former President Jimmy Carter he split off the Education from the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Now, what the Department of Education does is supplement state resources to fund a variety of programs.
Speaker 2: So here's one thing I want y'all to understand. Said this earlier.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to get a little more specific. There is a difference between the State Board of Education and the Department of Education. The state Board of Education, and this does vary by state, generally controls the curriculum, instructural materials, and handles accountability. They decide the textbooks and the regulations. So a lot of y'all that have a problem with the education in your community that is a state and local issue, not a federal issue. The Department of Education is the enforcer of federal laws. They also oversee the financial aid programs and conduct educational research. So it's the Department of Education that oversees peil grants. And if that is abolished, that would disproportionately impact low income students. Now, I was a Peil grant recipient and without it, my student loan debt would have probably been astronomical. So this is a very key piece of what the Department of Education does. The Department of Education also oversees the funding for students with disabilities, including special ed and for programs such as head Start, which is used by nearly eight hundred thousand children from birth to age five. I was a Headstar kid two. So hopefully we understand the difference between these two.
Speaker 2: Departments and how they operate.
Speaker 1: But beyond Trump's promise to destroy the Department of Education, here's another way in which his presidency could potentially impact sports. You know who is really happy with not just a Trump presidency, but also the re election of Texas Senator Ted Cruz, And that would be the NCAA.
Speaker 2: Let me hit you to some gang.
Speaker 1: Ted Cruse is going to be the new chair of the Senior Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over college sports issues, and he has a very strong, very NCAA position.
Speaker 4: Current state of affairs is the wild West. When you combine unlimited nil rights with an unlimited transfer portal, we are entering an arena where every player goes to the highest bidder, and the loyalties of players to teams and the ethos of college sports is a real jeopardy. We're also at risk of seeing a handful of giant mega schools with all the money creating super teams and the rest of schools unable to compete, which I think would be terrible. To have college athletics succeed, you have to have some modicum of parody.
Speaker 1: All right, because before NIL existed, things were so equitable, right, The top programs weren't the same programs that were usually at the top every year. But you know what has happened as a result of this quote, Wild Wild West that Ted Cruz talks about is a school like India whose football program has largely on a historical level, been terrible. But they went out, They got a good coach and Kurt Signetti. They made a huge financial commitment to him into bolstering the program. They got thirty one transfers, and now they are on the cusp of making the College Football Playoff. Did NIL stop Vanderbilt from upsetting Alabama this season?
Speaker 2: It did not.
Speaker 1: So the NCUBA loves to see TAA Cruz coming to be chair of this committee because another thing that Senator Cruz is solidly against is college athletes being classified as employees. The reason the NC DOUBLEA is against that is because it opens them up to future lawsuits, and if athletes are employees, they couldn't do anything to restrict player movement. So maybe instead of some of you college football players who were doing the Trump dance when you were celebrating an end zone, maybe some of y'all should have been studying up on how this election might potentially impact your pocket, especially if you are a college athlete in the state of Texas. Because the cat it that Ted Cruz ran against is a former Baylor linebacker who played for the Tennessee Titans colin already now he has a much different opinion than Ted Cruz because he actually played college football and professional football.
Speaker 5: Here it is, Yeah, I wouldn't be where I am today without the opportunity that college sports gave me. The scholarship that I got at Baylor set me on the path to go into law school, to playing in the NFL, of course, but then also having a chance to serving Congress, and so to me, uh, it's incredibly This is an incredibly important institution on top of being an incredibly profitable one. And as we've seen this become such a big business now, it always had to come to this that at some point, the players who were generating so much revenue for everyone else, we're going to have to benefit from from that themselves. As I said in that statement, you know, I really struggled when I was at Baylor financially and I was on scholarship, you know, but after I paid my rent and my bills, there wasn't much leftover. But at the same time, I was playing a video game, the NCAA football game at that time with my player, you know, number thirty four, middle linebacker for Baylor six two to two thirty five from Dallas. I wasn't seeing any of that revenue, right, And I think that wasn't right either.
Speaker 1: Now, beyond those things I pointed out, of course, another really big issue that Trump took on related to sports was transgender athletes. Not No poll after poll has shown that a lot of Americans disagree with trans women playing in sports, or trans women playing girls or women's sports. And here's the ad that Trump ran to further bolster this home.
Speaker 2: Kamala support taxpayer funded sex changes for prisonente surgery for prisoners, for prisoners, every transgender inmate in the prison system would have access. Now, no, I don't want my taxpayer dollars going to that. Kamala support transgender sex changes in jail with our money.
Speaker 1: Kamala even supports letting buy a lot men compete against our girls in their sports.
Speaker 2: Kamala is for day dem President Trump is for you.
Speaker 3: I'm Donald J. Trump, and I approve this message.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you something.
Speaker 1: Does the level of response to trans athletes meet the problem? Because for all of you that said inflation in the economy, where your primary concerns and the reason you voted for Trump, where do you rank trans girls and women playing women's sports on the list of things that are priorities for.
Speaker 2: You that actually impact your life?
Speaker 1: I asked that because of this, the trans population makes up less than one percent of the total population in the United States, but since twenty twenty twenty three states have passed laws restricting trans athletes to participate in sports according to their assigned gender identity. There are five hundred thousand NCAA college athletes, only forty identify as trans and that is trans women and men.
Speaker 2: Only one trans athlete in history has won.
Speaker 1: An Olympic medal, Quinn, who won as a member of the Canadian women's soccer team at the Tokyo Olympics. So even the shortest glimpse of history shows you that this has not been a prevalent issue throughout. And I need to mention this about that ad that ran so successfully when both candidates were on the campaign trail. The reason why Kamala Harris said that she supported inmates receiving gender affirming care is because it's actually the law.
Speaker 2: That same law Trump also had to adhere to when he was president.
Speaker 1: Now, this law is based off a nineteen seventy six Supreme Court ruling which said that states are responsible for providing healthcare to inmates. Now, transgender inmates were able to expand that rule to include gender affirming care because they sued or the right to do it.
Speaker 2: So that is the law.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't matter now that he's president. That's not going away because it's based off a Supreme Court ruling. Now, of course it could if it's challenged again in court, but so far that has not been the case. So for all those who were upset about the idea of your tax dollars paying for this. It's a law, that's why it's being followed. But I'll say this, one of the things I find so kind of disingenuous about the positioning of trans athletes as being the boogeyman and boogie women is that for years, by any historical measure, what has undermined women's sports the most has been lack of investment, lack of resources, lack of media coverage, and generally being considered an afterthought. Those are the things that have allowed women's sports to be vulnerable. So if you want to protect women's sports, then I would suggest you protect women's sports by watching women's sports, by investing financially in women's sports, and by making sure that the media covers women's sports with the same intensity that they covered some other things, particularly some men's sports. Those are the things that undercut women's sports. You know, I'll just say in generally that, you know, as we think about, you know, the impact that Trump could have on the sports world. The other thing I think is going to be pretty obvious this go around is that I think there's going to be a different normalization of Trump than what we saw before now already if you guys watched the UFC fight recently John Jones where he won, the one that was in New York City. As you see, Donald Trump was there with Elon Musk, the Speaker of the House, speaker Mike Johnson, and John Jones did the Trump dance. You know in the NFL saw a lot of athletes during the Trump the Trump Dance. I didn't even know that was a thing, but all right, saw a lot of college athletes, as I mentioned earlier, doing the Trump Dance. And so whereas before I think there was this sort of toxicity that was around showing open support of Donald Trump, I don't think that will be there anymore. And I'm not sure if that's good or bad, particularly when you look at policy wise, some of the things he could do that could greatly impact and potentially undermine sports in a lot of ways, at least for certain communities within sports. And I'm really curious to see what happens when he's in the White House and it's that time where a champion in any of the major sports, and maybe even the NCAA champions, when it's time for them to visit the White House remember from the first go around, a lot of athletes said no, most notably the NBA not Nara. NBA team was in the White House to commemorate their championship during the Trump years, and to my recollection, most of the women's teams that won a championship weren't even invited to the White House. I mean some of them went, and I think that had a lot to do with how how that particular coach felt about Donald Trump. I'm thinking about you, Kim Moulky, because Baylor, the women's team, was I think, frankly maybe the only individual women's team that went to the White House during his first presidency. But because of how much more normalized Trump has become, I wonder if that same you know, resistance will be there. Another thing I think that has to be considered too, is we know that Donald Trump loves to retaliate against his enemies real or imagine. You know, as I said before, he had no problem singling out Colin Kaepernick, no problem threatening NFL owners. He told them in particular that basically, you know, they don't want to sign Colin Kaepernick and make an enemy out of him, because, as he put it, him coming out and criticizing Colin Kaepernick was a quote winning issue for him, and so I am curious as to see if criticisms of Trump are a little bit muted because they know his propensity for retaliation. And certainly there was a very loud crowd that has always been there that claims sports and politics don't mix. But I see already how those goalposts are moving as it relates to sports and politics mixing, because now that there are more athletes who are being more vocal about their supporter Trump, I notice they're not being asked the same questions that Colin Kaepernick has been asked about his protests, or they're not holding it to the same standard as when Lebron James said that he was endorsing Kamala Harris, and he sat at his locker and answered every question about why he was choosing to support her. I'm wondering if that same energy is going to be kept with the athletes who are now vocally speaking out in support of Trump, because frankly, I think that's fair. You know, I've certainly never been somebody who has ever wanted athletes to just shut up and be quiet, even if I don't agree with what they're saying. But once you throw it out there in the critical thought marketplace, people have a right to come at it, and certainly, as a journalist, we have a right to ask you, well, why do you support this? What do you have to say about supporting someone who has been credibly found guilty of sexual assault in a court of law. That is a fair question to ask an athlete who is vocally supporting Trump. And so I'm just curious as to how the media begins to cover this in this moment, because I have to say, I'm not sure if I have a lot of hopes because in many ways, the media is responsible for us being in this moment now, and they've been complicit and certainly a lot of the misinformation and disinformation. So I don't know that I should have any real expectation for the media to properly frame and contextualize this moment clearly, But I do know this that stick to sportshit is out the window. I'm Jamel Hill, and I approve of this message. Now that's it for the bonus episode of Politics. A reminder that a new episode of Politics drops every Thursday on iHeart, but it's also available wherever you get your podcasts. Video versions of Politics are also available on my YouTube page. Make sure you subscribe so you don't miss out. And also follows Politics on Instagram the username is politics pod. And remember here on Politics, Sports and politics not only mix, they matter