Speaker 1: All media. It's it could happen here. The thing that's happening is that Shinzo Wahabe is still dead one year on. That man has not gone back from the dead. He is still absolutely the most assassinated man of twenty twenty three, twenty twenty two. That well, you know, honestly, given how assassinated he is, we're giving him the credit for being the most assassinated man of twenty twenty three. And what's interesting about this assassination, and we talked about I talked about this really briefly in my sort of intro thing to the last episode that we ran about the Abbe assassination. But this has been maybe the most successful political assassination not done by the CIA in the last like seventy years, like absolutely stunningly incredibly successful political assassination because specifically of the political impact that the assassination has had on the Unification Church probably better known as the Moonies, and how it's been forcing the sort of Unification Church aligned ruling Liberal Democratic Party of Japan to like have a serious of embarrassing scandals where they revealed their like incredible intertwinement with the church apparatus and all of the culture they've been doing. And with me to talk about this is Alisa Majub, who's an ex Unification Church member who got out and who works with Deeprogramming Imperialism, which is a group that tells the sort of still untold story of how the Unification Church has worked with the CIA and the Korean CIA and enormous parts of the sort of the apparatus of the American imperial war machine to cause untold suffering on the world. Lisa, Welcome, Welcome to the show. Welcome, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Thank you appreciate it. I'm glad to be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm excited to talk with you about this because we didn't really There's been a lot of very very interesting stuff happening in the last couple of months in Japan. But in order to do that, I think we need to we need to sort of talk about what this assassination was actually about. So the shooter, Tetsuya Yamagami, killed Abe because he couldn't get to a He was trying to kill a high ranking Unification Church guy and he like couldn't get to him. And the reason he was trying to do this is that his mom had given I think like seventy thousand yen to the church. I'm getting the number right, and had basically like, you know, like this is I I yeah, I wanted to talk to you a bit about this before we go into more of the abbe stuff about how the church's financial abuse works and how you know, like how how how how how this person's mom was compelled to sort of like literally give away all of their money to this cult.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I would say it's sort of multi pronged approach that they use.
Speaker 2: Uh, they'll basically, oh, gosh, okay.
Speaker 3: So one of the main things that they'll do is they will charge people for ancestor liberation.
Speaker 2: Basically is that they'll say that.
Speaker 3: Your ancestors are going to go to heaven if you pay us this amount of money. And they'll have people do that for like generations and generations back in order to have their ancestors go to heaven.
Speaker 2: They do other.
Speaker 3: Spiritual sales, like the book. There was this one book from years ago that they charged people exorbitant fees on just because it was like some sort of like providential book of some sort. So spiritual sales are definitely like.
Speaker 2: A main focal point of this.
Speaker 3: Another thing that will happen is that like they'll they'll labor traffic people just straight up into like a lot of the time they would do fundraising teams where they would have people go out sell little trinkets and things on the street or flowers and come back and then give all that money to the cough of the church. Another thing that they do is tithes. You're expected to give a certain amount of your income basically to the church, and if you don't, it's like they're not going to be like they're there. It's like sort of you know, like you need to do better because you're not you're not doing enough for God kind of shit. So they have like a myriad ways that they really push people into spending money on them in their organizations, as well as having a ton of very successful businesses and capital ventures and whatnot. They they make guns, you name it, and so it all sort of comes together to this like very large wheelhouse of capital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Japan's so so I think I should probably I'm realizing I'm probably assuming that everyone who's listening to this has listened to the previous stuff we've done on the edification, and I don't know, I don't know how true that is. So I guess we should talk a little bit. We should back up a little bit and talk about just what the Unification Church is, and I guess also the importance of Japan to it, because Yeah, for everything that I've understood, Japan's like, you know, like they have a bunch of sort of businesses that they run in Korea, but Japan's kind of like their chief financial nexus. Like the last thing I saw, I think it was like like they directed like one hundred million dollars how Japan in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they get they get so much.
Speaker 3: That's their main it's their main financial powerhouse within the church. And part of that is because the church claims that because of the occupation of Korea that Japanese members have to pay more indemnity monetarily, so everything with like you know, all of the spiritual sales and stuff are just like exorbitantly higher for those members, and that is just an easy way for them to make a lot more money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which which is always a part of this thing. I thought is really interesting because you know, the church, and we've talked about this sort of at length in other places, but they are like hardcore right wing anti communists. Yeah, and like you know, have backed a lot of I mean just desk squads all over the world they backed they like they wound up backing pole Pot because like doing a RAN contrac twice wasn't enough for them, but a bunch Yeah. Yeah, it's like on once you once, once, you once you've once you've done a RAN contract multiple times, like you've got to there are very few places you can go other than like into pole Pot. But I think I think there's there's an interesting kind of game they're playing here because you know, on the one hand, so the party they're allied with in Japan, I mean there's like several parties they work with, but their biggest backer in the government is is the Liberal Democratic Party. And you know, if you want to hear me talk about the Liberal Democratic Party for a long long time, go listen to my Kishi episodes on Behind the Bastards, because that guy did one. So Masuki Kishi is the founder of the Little Democratic Party. He is a just horrific war criminal. I did like mass enslavement stuff like that, Like truly truly awful guy. He's like he's also the guy who just was in charge of like running the Japanese war machine dream World War two, and his grandson is is shinzo Abe. But there's just I think it's this interesting dynamic where you have, on the one hand, the Moonies are allying with these right wing guys who are either just straight up like like a lot of these people they're allying with are straight up like Nanjing denialists, right, they're like, you know, they're they're there are people whose lines on Japanese colonization or either that it was good or we didn't do any crimes.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it comes off pretty pretty, you know, bold faced and ironic and just very obvious that this is a money ploy.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. But but I think it's interesting kind of politically too, because you know, like if you if you on the one hand pushed Anihilism, but then on the other hand, you turn around and you're the only people going like, hey, look at all these crimes your government did, Like don't you owe like Korea so much? I feel like it's like it's a really like terrible and like it's just unbelievably cynical way of exploiting like exploiting just the horror of Japanese imperialism to get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's very underhanded, especially giving that I feel like there is been some evidence that I mean at least early church members and those around them may have been collaborators at the time as well. So yeah, it's very disingenuine and a completely twisted way to go about anything. But people people buy into it and heavily.
Speaker 1: So yeah, one of the ways they've they sort of done this is allying with the Liberal Democratic Party. So nobodys take Kishi, who again is AB's grandfather, like, is the guy who brought the Unification Church into the party. And this was kind of a controversial thing because okay it was. It was kind of a controversial thing, not because the Unification Church is a cult, but because the Unification Church is Korean, which is like a dynamic that's at play. He and this whole thing, which is you have this weird okay. So there's like there's like two kinds of people who are anti Unification Church in Japan. It's you have like the leftists who are anti Unification Church because they're a cult and because they're you know, like a sort of cat's Paul of American imperialism, and then you have like these ultra right wingers who are like, these people are Koreans and so we hate them, which is like a I don't know, truly terrifying Japan dynamic. But Kishi's able to sort of overcome this and he okay, So this is the part. I don't know if you know more about this than I do. So every the stuff that I've seen about this talks about the Unification Church and the Yakuza kind of hammering out a deal to allow the Unification Church to like do their specific kinds of scams. And I've always assumed that Kishi brokeer this because Noboshiki Kishi also is very very well connected with the Yakuza. He's been connected with the yakuza since like the twenties and thirties, so I always assumed that he brokeer this deal. But I'm not entirely sure. I don't know. I don't know if you've run into anything about it.
Speaker 3: So I know that some of it has to do with Asami Kuboki, I believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if initial links do come through Kishi. I wouldn't I would not be surprised about that. I don't know where exactly, like, you know, initially that would make sense.
Speaker 2: That would make sense.
Speaker 3: Honestly because like going back to the sort of end of the Korean War and World War two. Uh, basically how all these you know, prisoners that were class A war criminals got you know, they got to let off the books because they decided to work for America now.
Speaker 2: And and and basically.
Speaker 3: These guys were the first guys who started like funding and financing and like supporting the church, uh, with like the help of like MacArthur and stuff. And then MacArthur of course is the one who got Moon out of prison.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean there's a lot of sort of there's a lot of very very the the the LDP as a party is sort of directly like like directly it is formed by the Dulles brothers intervewing with the sort of Japanese right and telling them like, you guys all have to like, you guys all have to put aside your differences and form this party so as to stop like even like a vaguely centered left government from coming to power. Right. Yeah, and the connections you are really deep, like kishi kishi literally sells Unification Church their first building in Japan, and that building is like his residence. So they are eaten deep and in it for the long haul.
Speaker 2: Yeah and st.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this has been you know, sort of going on for a very long time, even after like Chishi's like specific kind of like fascist corruption faction kind of eventually falls out of favor in like the eighties because they they they kind a series of deals with the Americans that are like too corrupt for the US that ends with like ends with a fascist porn star I like dry attempting to do a Kama Kazi run and a Yaka is a boss by flying a plane into his house, which is which is a whole thing. But you know, so this kind of gets us to many generations of LDP, which is the Liberal Democratic Party, which has been the ruling party of Japan for most of it's sort of modern history. Many generations did this go by, and you know there's there's I think a really incredible symbiosis here where like the LDP has like consistently gotten them out of trouble of like stuff that like like they're they're you know, there's a famous example where Moon like shouldn't have been able to enter Japan because he had been convicted of a felony in the US. And you know the and there's also like there's been a series of investigations into the church that has just gotten squashed because the LDP ye know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're too powerful.
Speaker 3: They're in, they're in with the guys who are running things.
Speaker 1: And I think this just kind of brings us to the immediate Abbe stuff, which I think is really interesting, which is that like Abbe, okay, so long ago, in a galaxy, far far away dream Kishi's generation, the CIA was like literally running LDP elections like this is the CIA would go in with individual candidates and they would go in to sort of manipulate the vote. They would go in and they would have like CIA assets doing canvassing for them. And what I think is really interesting is that like from what I've seen, it seems like abb basically replaced the CIA with the moonies in the two thousands, where he was having the church do exactly the same thing the CIA did of like like hey, if you ally with us, we will, like you know, we will like go district by district and campaign for you and like use our influence networks.
Speaker 2: It's funny how that keeps happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hmm, Yeah, it's really the sort of long arc of It's funny too because it's like like quite frankly like at this point, like it from the CIA's point of view, like it's utterly unclear to me if.
Speaker 1: It matters at all whether the LDP or like their absolutely identical opposition party like comes into power. But there's still just this kind of like like the ghost of the CIA from like when they actually had to stop the communists in like the cifty sixties and seventies, I guess a bit through the eighties. It's just sort of still there and still doing like all of this same things that yeah, are y you know who else? Actually I don't think they've ever advertised on this show, but you know who probably wouldn't be that out of place given the Reagan coin people. I don't know, it's it's ads, it's we're doing them. I hope they don't suck and we're back. Okay, So this is something I wanted to ask you. How So, in the last few months, there's been a lot of developments in terms of the reaction to the Church in Japan and how the church has been reacting to the sort of swings in public sentiment that have been happening. So yeah, I guess I want to ask how what's been happening inside the Japanese government sense all of the stufface sort of been coming out.
Speaker 3: So it seems to be that there has been quite a kerfuffle because quite a few members of both the LDP and other parties have ties.
Speaker 2: To the Unification Church.
Speaker 3: So I've got some stats here, and forgive me if these are not the most current. I tried my best to find the most current, the most current numbers out here about this, but I was having a little bit of trouble due to translations.
Speaker 2: So let's see.
Speaker 3: I've got at least three hundred and thirty four Prefectural Assembly members in Japan have had dealings with the Unification Church or it's affiliates, with over eighty percent of them belonging to the ruling LDP, according to Kyoto News, So Prime Minister of Fumiyo Kushita said that the government was in the final stage of considering whether to seek a court order to disband the Unification Church. But also, you know, his new cabinet well, they've got some ties, okay, at least four lawmakers who admitted having ties to the church. The number of LVP lawmakers was ties to the churches around one hundred and eighty, and the second Tenary General has said that one hundred and seventy nine of the three hundred and seventy nine parliamentarians reported with links to the church and related organizations. And these relationships have ranged from attending church events to accepting donations and receiving elections support. And then at least three hundred and thirty four prefectural councils had contact.
Speaker 2: With the UC in related orgs.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot going on that basically is, there's a lot that has come out about who is involved. However, the UC is still pretty much just denying everything. The pre trial proceedings for Yamagami began on October thirteenth. It's going to be closed door, so it'll probably be a while a little bit until the information trickles out about that. Hopefully they'll have some like I don't don't know if like what closed door means in that specific situation, I still have journalists in there, not hopefully, Yeah, but yeah, a lot has been coming out and people have been calling for a lot of change, it seems, but how much is actually going to happen, especially when they're saying now it's going to be like maybe one to three years for the deliberation on the case for dissolving the church, which means that the church will have ample time to move all of its funds and set up new new lines of money funneling.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, which I think. Yeah, I don't know, like I have I have very little faith that even even this sort of like outswing of public pressure is going to like actually seriously cause a liberal Democratic party to like really go after the church because, like I mean, like Abe, like part of the reason Abi got assassinated was that, like I think, like in twenty twenty two, he he get he like he was like he like said a video of of like of a speech like to a like to a manuline unification church event. I think it was the same one that it might have been the same one that Trump said it too. Maybe it was it was a different event, but like yeah, like that, I don't know, I have a difficult time, I don't know kind of like believing that they're that like this like, even if this crackdown does come, that's going to be effective. I don't know what your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I'm excited that there is some movement in that direction. However, I do worry that it won't really make as much of a dent into the functioning of the movement as some people think it could, given that there seems to be a lot of time for them to recuperate funds and they've been doing a lot of things that seems to make up for funds, as well as the fact that they already just have so much money and so many funds in the first place. It's hard to say how much they even have and how much this would make a dent into it were it to happen, So it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to say.
Speaker 3: And I also do worry that that'll just sort of incentivize them to sort of further radicalize people in a very dangerous far right direction and sort of going into that, there have been some sort of recent developments within the church since all of this has come out, basically, and people are calling for some sort of justice and some sort of you know, understanding of what's going on, which you know, the church continues to deny but recently Hawk Jahan, who is now the leader of the Mainline Church, has been meeting with the youth in multiple countries, and recently at Japan, she sat down and told them that they are a Kamakazi group basically to save Japan in the world. So I can't imagine it's ever really like, it never has ended well when somebody says that to an occult leader says that to their constituents, it never goes well. And you know, acts of violence against oneself like self emolation or other things murder have not been you know, out of the realm of things that people in the Unification of Church have done in the past.
Speaker 2: So it does kind of worry me. And she's actually hat Jahan is actually going to be.
Speaker 3: Meeting I believe it's the weekend of the Seventh uh in Vegas with the Youth of America. So I wonder if she's going to be saying similar things at that event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that wouldn't surprise me, it would.
Speaker 3: Seem I have a feeling it seems to be since she's been going around and meeting, because she's also met with the youth of Europe in the Middle East, that there's like a concerted effort here to sort of get youth engagement up, which leads me into a couple of other things here. I know that for a couple of years now, the Global Peace Foundation, which is under presst and Moon, has been involved with like different like music festivals and things with K pop artists and stuff. But recently there was actually an event this year is supposed to happen called twenty twenty three Korean Dream Festa for Korean United and then the original poster it was said that it was Global Peace Foundation that was one of the groups that was leading this. A lot of fans have soaken up, and I know at least one of the groups.
Speaker 2: Has pulled out, so clearly at.
Speaker 3: Least within that within that prong of the UC that there's there's there's some very active like trying to outreach to the youth, which I think I think I would be able to say is pretty across the board at this point. I think they're all trying some new strategies because they see that people are leaving, and especially with the number of people that have been speaking up lately, they really want to keep those numbers and engage new people as well. Part of this also makes me think that might be why Sean Moon is doing the sort of like maga rapper thing. I don't know, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Because he could he could just be weird, Like it's possible, but yeah, but.
Speaker 3: It does strike me as something that's like, hmm, maybe this is a way to get kids into the movement, you know, Like I don't really know. Part of me is also wondered why if if that is part of why Caleb Moppin has showed up at Mooney things now, like yeah, just yeah, uh that guy, not that guy, but like yeah, it just makes me wonder about like different onboarding ramps that might be being tapped because uh, there's potentially, you know, like a little bit of a lull here and there's.
Speaker 2: Going to be a financial dip in this specific chain. I don't really know. I can't claim to I have suspicions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think it makes I think as a theory, it makes sense, Like I mean, the UCAS Church is the Unification Church has always tried to sort of stick itself into like different cultural trends, and I think, right, like my voter said, like I don't, I don't think the last time they really tried. The you strategy worked very well, like in the late twenty early twenty tens.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, no, it didn't. It didn't work particularly well. I wonder, however, you know, times are changing. If they happen to get one or two good strategists on board, that could change everything, honestly, But I also don't necessarily know that this is going to go well for them, seeing is that they're deeply uncool. That's a real big issue, Like that's the main issue for like trying to get youth engagement up. I feel like, you know, I don't know, Uh, there's only so cool you can make it sound, which is nothing like no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean it is interesting that they're kind of like the mop in things specifically is really interesting because it's it's it seems like, I don't know, it seems like they're trying to tap into this like just like whatever weird currents of like new right like stuff they can get their hands on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like that honestly to me too. And it's also specifically ironic considering that Caleb used to hit me up for information on the Moonies a lot before I figured that he was a creep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Before I figured out he was a creep and like not somebody I wanted to be talking to. So he knows all this ship about them and continues and like willfully yeah, is engaging with them, which to me is just like mmmm yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like if you if you're if you're gonna sell out, like at least at least sell out into a podcast, don't sell out to a fucking cult like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Come on, it's just ridiculous stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, it's really terrible.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like, yeah, it's the mashup we didn't need.
Speaker 1: And this I think this has been eased to something else I wanted to ask about, so other than the sort of like you strategy stuff, has there been a reaction from like the Rod of Iron ministry or like the other sort of like splinter fractions of the church to the stuff that's been happening in Japan? Like have and also I ask you everything like as Bess, like, everything that I've seen seems suggest that the if they were gonna like if they were going to just band the church, it would only be the main branch. Has there been like has the statement going after the other branches too, or.
Speaker 3: So in that respect, I am actually still kind of unclear and have some research questions I need to resolve on that matter. As far as I've been aware, the other branches have been reasonably.
Speaker 2: Quiet about it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean that they're not internally doing things. I know that they both have large populations in Japan as well of membership, so it would make sense that they would be trying to figure something out.
Speaker 2: However, I don't actually know.
Speaker 3: If legally they are going to be gone after the same way as the mainline church, and that's something I just need to clear up myself. But honestly, they haven't been speaking as much about it as I thought they might. That doesn't mean that they're not. It also just might mean that they're not publishing it, you know. But part of me also wants to know if the reason that you know, hak Tahan is coming to America that certain weekend is because that's exact same weekend that the Rod of Iron Freedom Festival is happening, and she just doesn't want to get beheaded by her sons who wants to behead her. So yeah, because it's like, oh, she knows they're they're doing that weekend. I mean, I don't know, like that's it's just maybe silly speculation.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, they have literally said that they want to behead her.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I wouldn't be from them if I were her. Yeah, So that that that that that entire fight is really a like like no matter it's either a like the eat pop or let them fight or the no matter who wins, we lose kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Right, It's just quite a mess.
Speaker 3: Like I can say that I have a lot of family drama, but nothing compared to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Just wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there was a show that was originally going to be called The Devil's Whispers that was to be aired in Japan, but of course the UC complained a little bit and they said that the program included a dramatization.
Speaker 2: They said that basically, they.
Speaker 3: Claimed that this dramatized program which was showing past tense of the group to recruit believers, including hiding the group's name in door to door sales taxics designs disguised as charitable. First of all, in HK, the channel that was going to air it, first of all, change the name to Dangerous Whispers instead of the Devil's Whispers, but the church also tried to tried to make them cancel like the show from happening and airing. As far as I'm aware, I think it actually did air a couple of nights ago though.
Speaker 1: Glad, gleg gleg Glad they got it through. But like the fact that, yeah, the name changes, like really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, still, it's pretty ridiculous, Like maybe they changed it, but I think what they had said it was like sometimes in post production will change the name for whatever reason or something like that. But it's like, are you sure it's not, because the church complained.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't really know.
Speaker 1: Well, and I guess I guess. I guess no. One more thing I wanted to talk a bit about, which is that, And this is something we've been seeing already, is people talking about like, oh, you shouldn't just spand the church on religious freedom grounds. And that's something that the U see has been really really successful at sort of hiding behind you when anyone tries to go after them, like they did this in the seventies and eighties, when there were campaigns to like prosecute them for just the crimes they were doing. Was that a bunch of sort of like like not just not just right wing groups, but sort of like like like civil libertarian groups, Like like we're like, oh, you can't do this because if you, if if they go after the Uthi Gacia Church, they're going to be able to go after like any religious groups. And that's just like not true, Like it's just not true. These people are not like what what whatever you're you know, in terms of sort of whatever, like the crimes of like a normal religious group group are like the church is not a normal religious group. They have been funding desk squads for like longer than most of the people listening to the show have been alive. And yeah, I don't know, I I I just want to sort of like like just make people aware of it. They're going to try this shit again. And it was it was bullshit less and they did it. It's bullshit now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's that's the thing that keeps annoying me.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not the same.
Speaker 3: There are many things about this that annoy me and make me very enraged, but one of them is that the playbook doesn't change.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's very very straightforward. This is how it's going to work.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of wondering also if the cult is going to sort of like roll out new providential edicts that will like potentially be like, oh no, this is going to be our new country that we get the most money out of, or this maybe or something like, you know, just something that they're going to say that God has made it this way so that like, yeah, you can change those money money funneling tunnels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. The only prediction that I can make and I'm absolutely sure of is that it's going to be wild and it's going to suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not looking forward to how this is going to play out, honestly, especially given all of the like Kamakazi squad comments and stuff. Makes me ill, It makes it makes me scared, It makes me not feel confident about the way that this is going to turn out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm kind of of two minds of this because like I'm hoping this will go well and this will actually work, and that like even if the church tries to lash out, it's like doesn't work very well. I do think also the way that this assassination has like been turning just random pe like regular people in Japan who don't really know anything about the church against them has been really really interesting and powerful in a way that was I mean not the I don't know, so there's I've been saying is like the top of the show kind of as a joke, but like this really has been a very successful like political assassination in that it hasn't like, it hasn't back it hasn't yet backfired in a way that helps the church, and it seems to have really I don't know, it seems it seems to have very powerfully achieved this objective of getting people to go, wait, hold on, who is this cult that is like not I don't know, running is maybe too strong of a word, but has like completely embedded itself in the in Japan's ruling class.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, yeah, people are asking questions now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which which I think is good. And I don't know, I hope the other thing I'm hoping is that this like people start doing this in like the US and in Korea and in like all of the other places that they've been doing shit like this, because this.
Speaker 3: Is yeah, because that's been global and there have been so many people that have been victims of this group that I know a lot of us in America have also started speaking out about it, and the media here has not been quite as interested in picking up.
Speaker 2: What we have to say. To a degree, they have been.
Speaker 3: But it's usually you know, sensationalized and made a little weird and.
Speaker 2: Just yeah the main point. Oh sorry, yeah, go on like that.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a really this is something like I've read a lot of sort of American coverage of this alongside the Japanese coverage, and I mean, like I expect this of the Japanese. Wow, Okay, I guess I expect this of both, like parts of the coverage, but there is there has been very very little, if any willingness to like talk about the church's connection to the CIA, and there you know, people will talk about them like as an anti communist group, but.
Speaker 2: Right like yeah like that extra step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like you have like it's they're not just in it, like there there are there are lots of anti communist groups. I mean there are no anti communist groups that are good, right, but like there are lots of anti communist groups that never funded death squads in like not what was what was the actual number? Like sixteen I had, I had I had a count at one point of the number of countries they funded death squads in. But like like most most most most people haven't like like funded coups in Bolivia and like you know, kept like allowed a ran contra to happen by keeping the contrasts in the war or like scent weapons of the Mousia haden like yo, like they they really they really they've I don't know, like and I I mean, I like, I guess, like you know, in terms of the sort of like this is the bourgeois press stuff like it, like it makes sense ideologically why people don't want to talk about their connections to the CIA and like the operations they pulled in the US and all of the just imperialism they've been doing. But it's it's really depressing because yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It feels demoralizing sometimes because people only want to tell part of the story when it's like not too crazy and out there sounding for them. It's like, no, I tell you what, the actual story behind this group is crazier and more out there than you could ever imagine.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, yeah, and I think I think that's that's been an important I mean, that's why I think why the work you're doing is really important because thank you, like you have to actually make like you're one of the few people like actually making these connections.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I really I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that you appreciate it, because it's sometimes it's weird work.
Speaker 2: To do, Like I just read a lot about horrible things, and.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, like I was saying, that can take a toll on you to a degree, and sometimes I'll have to take breaks from it, but at the end of the day, I'm always going to go back to it because, like I think it's worth doing, because the stuff needs to be talked about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I guess do you have anything else that you wanted to say.
Speaker 3: Before I'll just plug deprogramming, imperialism, those two words. I think there's an underscore on our Instagram. Let me just double check.
Speaker 1: If there's an underscore, we will put links to this in the description.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for coming on the show. And yeah, fuck these.
Speaker 3: People, Yeah for real, they've done some really bad stuff.
Speaker 1: So hopefully hopefully this is finally after like so many generations of terrible crimes they've been doing that this is finally the one that's going to fucking crush them.
Speaker 3: We can hope, you know, Yeah, you can very much hope though, And the more people are talking about it the better. The more people understand, like the history behind the movement, the better. So thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, this has been It can happen here. You can find us assuming Twitter still exists when this goes up on Twitter, Instagram, haf in here pod. Yeah, you can find sources of cool Zone Media. Yeah, go go into the world, destroy imperialism and crush the remains of these dog shit assholes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from.
Speaker 3: Cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can find sources for It could Happen here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.