Speaker 1: Wow, Hey everybody, It's Wednesday, November one, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the NFL Fantasy Football Show. It's me your man, MG, Marcus Grant, joined by Michael f. Florio. We're previewing Thursday Night football and the early Sunday games from week nine. Let's just dive in and get started with those fantasy headlines and the news that everybody's talking about. Out of Las Vegas. The Raiders have fired head coach Josh McDaniels. They have fired general manager David Ziggler. They have also relieved all offensive coordinator Mike Lombardi of their duties. On top of that, they have sort of fired or at least demoted to their starting quarterback. Jimmy Garoppolo has been benched. Rookie Aid and O'Connell will be the starter moving forward. So a lot of change happening Las Vegas. Let's just get down to what we care about though. Does this mean we can hashtag free Devonte Adams now? And you know, maybe even Jacoby Myers.
Speaker 3: I definitely feel really good about Davonte Adams. In the one game with Aiden O'Connell, he threw to Devonte thirteen times. He didn't throw to Jacoby a whole lot, but that was just one game. I think we could get both of those guys going. They also threw the ball eleven times to Josh Jacobs in that game. From this stat blew my mind. Devonte Adams and Josh Jacobs are now are bottom three, Jacobs's last amongst all running backs and Fantasy points over expectation. Yeah, it can't get any worse than it's been so far, with Jimmy g who just looks really old, and Josh McDaniel, who probably will never head coach again.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, our own Bridget Condon asked Josh Jacobs how to get the offense going there, in his response with I don't know. That's not my job. Maybe now it should be. I mean, it couldn't be any worse than the way things were going there in Las Vegas. I do think we're going to see a lot of targets for Devonte Adams. You could tell that he was frustrated that he sort of wanted out. Josh Jacobs seems frustrated. The whole team just seems like they were sort of at the end of their rope with what was going on there in Las Vegas, So I do think Jacoby Myers is a bit of a downgrade from where he's been. I'm not sure yet that Aidan O'Connell can support multiple pass catchers in this offense. Which also means that all of our hopes for Michael Mayer are sort of put on hold for the time being, because I definitely don't think they get far enough down the pecking order for Michael Mayer to get a lot of targets there. But hopefully this means a change is coming in Las Vegas in terms of what we see on the field because different people in the front office, different people on the headset. Former NFL linebacker Antonio Pierce will be the one to take over as the interim head coach. Another quarterback change, this one down in Atlanta, where our old friend Arthur Smith has made the announcement that Taylor Heinike will get the start going against the Vikings coming up this week. Desmond Ritter will serve as the backup. It's a thing that you and I and a lot of people have been asking for, certainly in fantasy football for a while, because Desmond Ridder just wasn't getting it done. Now, I don't think anybody's going out there and starting Taylor Heineke and their fantasy teams, and if you do, thoughts and prayers to you. But the biggest question are we back on the Kyle Pitts bandwagon. We are back like we never left.
Speaker 3: The reason is this is a good thing for fantasy purposes, like is it a great thing for the Falcons. No, but Taylor Heineke is more aggressive. We saw last week he came in. He threw the ball four times. Three of the passes he completed, we're all longer than any past Desmon Ridder had completed in that game in the first half on the year. I know it's a small sample size for Heineke, but eleven point two air yards per target compared to seven point eight for Desmond Ridder. Plus he's just the mentality, the gunslinger mentality. Maybe he's not a gunslinger in physical ability, but in his head he is. So he is not afraid to throw the ball downfield and everything, be aggressive, throw it into tight windows. And I think that's a good thing for Pitts, for Drake London when he could suit up for all of the Falcons offense. It's also going to help in my opinion, open stuff up for Bijon Robinson near the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: We had a chance this morning just in passing to talk with our coworker and former NFL receiver Steve Smith, and that was one of the things he said about Taylor Heineke is that, look, he's a gunslinger, and maybe this doesn't necessarily boost the Falcons forward in actual football, but Heineke's gonna throw it, and he's gonna throw a downfield. He's gonna get some of these guys involved. So we'll see if this is good news for Kyle Pitts. We'll also keep an eye on Drake London. He did have that groin injury last week, so we'll see what his status is going into this week's game. But we are curious, excited, intrigued, you pick the positive adjective there about what this means for the pass catchers that we have wanted to get involved. Now, I guess the next step is for Arthur Smith to actually let these guys get on the field and not start forcing snaps for John new Smith and Mike Cole Pruitt and Cordero Patterson. Arthur, and it's your move, Now play your good players. That's all we're asking you to do. Let's get to the TNF game preview. Shall we the Titans at the Steelers. You can see that at eight fifteen pm Eastern on Prime Video. Maybe not the most exciting fantasy matchup, but there are some things of intrigue. Will Levis gonna get the start again this week for the Titans after coming out and throwing four touchdowns in his starting debut last week against the Atlanta Falcons. We will make any more modest, more or less for Will Levis this week. Let's say one and a half passing touchdowns against that Steeler defense.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna choose to believe here and say more. And I wrote about Will Levis in the Stardum cinematicle as a streamer this week, and when I said, was like, yeah, I know that all four of us touchdown passes least week came against zone and the Steelers run more man. They also generate more pressure than the Falcons do. So I understand that the floor is very low, but the ceiling is. And I watched all of his dropbacks. Everything was pretty much a screen short of the sticks or just like a hail Mary downfield. It might not work consistently for real life purposes, but those big plays put up chunk points in fantasy.
Speaker 2: I will say I'm gonna say more, but I will also put the asterisk next to it that maybe I got a little bit hyped over what happened last week. Then maybe I got a little bit too excited about it. But I'm still gonna say more this week because I do think that they are going to be a little bit more open with the offense with Levis than they have been in the past with Ryan Tannehill or with Malik Willis. So I think there's gonna be more opportunities to throw the football here. I'm not expecting this to be a very pretty game between these two teams. Neither offense is very exciting to watch, neither one of them can throw the football effectively. But I'm gonna be optimistic and I'm gonna hope for the best with will Levis and say more than one and a half passing touchdowns. On the other side, Deontae Johnson. We came into this year saying, yeah, I know, Deontay Johnson didn't score any touchdowns, but he runs routes and he gets targets and he gets so many opportunities and it's just gonna happen anyway, right, it hasn't happened yet. Deontay Johnson still has the same number of touchdowns as me. That's not great. So we're gonna say more or less zero point five touchdowns for Deontay Johnson. Can he just crossed the goal line with the football in his hands this week?
Speaker 3: Nope? Look, it's I want him to. I have him on a couple of fantasy teams, but probability is not in his favor. You have to go back to the second to last game of twenty twenty one for the last time that he scored a touchdown. In between that, he's had one hundred and eighty three targets with no touchdowns. I mean it, it's beyond even like what Jacoby Myers was. It's reaching the point where it's like, how is this even possible? When you have a wide receiver as talented and that gets open and as much volume as Deoncey Johnson gets on a weekly basis, It's clearly not a Deontay problem. It's on Pickett, Trubisky and whoever else they want to throw out at quarterback. These last couple of years. But yeah, I'm gonna go with probability here, and that says no touchdowns.
Speaker 2: As we sit and recorded this show, it has been six hundred and sixty seven days since Deontay Johnson last scored in the NFL. I'm gonna choose positivity. I'm going to say it happens this week. Look, the target share has been there. It appears that Kenny Pickett is going to play. He says he's for sure playing. We will, you know, preserve judgment on that, but Kenny Pickett should be playing. They've got a great matchup against the Titan secondary. Deontay Johnson gets targets. Look, I know there's nothing analytical in saying the phrase, hey man, he's due, But hey man, he's due. Anyone is due, is Joe. I'm going to I'm going to choose positivity. I'm gonna say that John I hope I'm right too. I think Deontay Holmes are. There are a lot of few Steelers fans hopes on right.
Speaker 3: I think even like Ravens fans right now feel bad for I'll take Johnson. They're probably like, yeah, I hope Marcus is right on this.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not against us, so I hope you can be right. It's fine. So there we go. That's our Thursday night preview. Now we can get into the Sunday slate of games. Got four teams on a bye after we had no teams on a bye last week. Weird. The Broncos, the Lions, the Jaguars, and the forty nine ers all have the week off. Meanwhile, the Dolphins and Chiefs they get to take a business trip. They are on their way to deutsch Land. Frankfurt, Germany is where they will lace them up this week. That's a game you can see on NFL Network and streaming on NFL Plus. It kicks off at nine to thirty am Eastern, That is six thirty am out here on the West coast. So get your coffee early and your bagels and all that other stuff and get ready to watch that game. So besides the defenses, anyone in this game that you are not starting hire kill.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The beautiful part about the Dolphins is their offense is so funneled. We know to a moster Tyreek and Jalen Waddle, they're all in play. Obviously. I think even like Savon Auchman is a sleeper in this one for the Chiefs, you know to start mahomes Kelceever, she Rice is someone that I'm very excited for. Same thing about Isaiah Pacheco. I think Jeric McKinnon is a little bit sneaky in this one. Second half of the year is when they start to unleash McKinnon. A lot of passing in this one. I could see them getting McKinnon going near the goal line. But yeah, I want as much exposure to this game as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you really do. I would also say, look, I keep saying this, but like I feel like a weird game that I play every week is try to pick the Chiefs receiver maybe not name or she Rice now that's going to have a big game. So this this week the wheel lends on Marquez Valdez TX Scantling. We're starting to get some more work. He's getting those downfield targets. Two weeks ago had the really big game with eighty four yards in a touchdown against the Chargers. I think he can have a simil output this week against a Dolphins defense that has been sort of shaky and in a game that should feature a lot of back and forth. We know Miami can score, Kansas City's going to have to score a sort of keep up there. So I think MVS, who frequently has been the cardio king of the week on NFL Fantasy Live, might actually get some output something to go along with his just running up and down the field all day long. Okay, Vikings at the Falcons. Both teams going with backup quarterbacks this week. The Vikings not by choice because Kirk Cousins is out for the year. The Falcons, as we mentioned, going with Taylor Heinike. But we know Jaren Hall is going to get the start at least this week. For Minnesota, it'll be Josh Dobbs going forward after the trade. What do we do with our vikings? I guess notably TJ. Hawkinson and Jordan Addison. Now that it's Hall getting to start for another.
Speaker 3: Week, I think those two are the only two Vikings that you could start with any sort of confidence this week. Look, Hawkinson, we hear it all the time. A tight end could be a young quarterbacks like safety blanket their best friend. I think they're gonna design a whole lot of plays to go through him. Jordan Addison, with the all these teams on by the upside is too high. He has been averaging about sixteen Fantasy points per game. He could win downfield. He's been great in the red zone and in the end zone. So I still think he's in play. kJ Osborne, I need to see it first. He's had one good game all year. Alexander Madison is losing work to Cam Akers and it's just been pretty terrible all year as well. So I can't trust either of them. And I don't think we fully have given Kirk Cousins enough credit so far. Like the Vikings of the second most passing yards and the second most passing touchdowns behind only the Miami Dolphins, and we have not spoke about this offense anywhere close to how we talk about the the Dolphins. If they lost to it, we'd be like, oh, yeah, we're a little worried about this offense. It's gonna have a huge impact.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you're right. I think the reason we haven't talked about this offense that way is because the defense has sort of let them down. Yeah, I mean they were one in four and we were talking about are they gonna shut it down? With Justin Jefferson? Are they ready to pack it in Now, they've won three in a row, they're four and four, they're very much backing contention, and so suddenly we're like, oh, yeah, the Vikings offense was playing really well and Kirk Cousins was playing really well, and they are really going to miss him in that offense. I'm with you, though, in terms of the guys you're starting. I think it's Hawkinson, I think it's Addison, and I think that's it. At this point. You can try leaning on Cam Akers or Alexander Madison, but they can't really run the football consistently and effectively, and the Falcons run defense has been pretty good, so I would stay away from them if possible. We've got a battle of the Birds in Baltimore. I didn't mean to alliterate that, but it just sort of worked out. Seahawks at the Ravens. Both teams with interesting secondaries. Both teams have big name receivers. What are we doing with the pass catchers here?
Speaker 3: Seattle? I mean, the last three weeks they've really looked like the Legion of Boom once they got all of their secondary pieces healthy again. I still think Zay Flowers is in play because Seattle's great at stopping the run as well, and if they can't get cooking downfield or in the run game, I expect a lot of screen passes to go to Zay Flowers. That is really where he excels. We're Seattle, like, you probably can't get away from Lockett or DK, given buys and injuries and all that. But DK has one game this year with over fifteen Fantasy points. Yeah, I know he's giving you double digits every week, but he's become a safe floor play and really no ceiling. Lockett is the exact opposite, like he's so boom or bust right now, but again with the buys and everything, at least where I have him in most instances, I have.
Speaker 2: To start him. I had DK metcalf as one of my spooky starts for Fantasy Live on Tuesday, and you're right, I don't know that you can get away from him or Tyler Lockett, but I just don't love the matchup. I feel a lot better with Za Flowers and the Ravens pass catchers because statistically it does look like the Seahawks are starting to get things together in the passing game, but then you look at who they've played last week. They had the Browns with PJ. Walker. The week before that, they had Dobbs, who I think people were starting to figure out a little bit. In the Cardinals. The week before that they had Joe Burrow who wasn't completely healthy. He was still sort of on his way back. They have by then, they had the Giants and they've been awful. They had the Panthers before that. They haven't had a real challenge since Week two when they played the Lions. So this is gonna be I think their toughest tests that they faced in over a month, maybe about six weeks or so. So I don't want to take that shot on Zay Flowers in this one.
Speaker 3: Dame Yeah and Lamar Man and talking on MVP love, he needs to get more of it.
Speaker 2: One of my big Bowl predictions for the week is that by Monday we're going to be talking about Lamar Jackson is maybe the front runner for the MVP.
Speaker 3: To me, he's number two behind only Tyreek Hill right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even think Tyreek's getting that love from our friends in the Desert. I think it's Tua that that buy the odds. This quarterback, this quarterback, That's why they created Offensive Player of the Year, so that somebody who's not a quarterback could actually win a big award.
Speaker 3: I would love to give some truth serum to Mike McDaniel and be like, if you can only have one of these two the rest of the way, which one are you taking?
Speaker 2: Two? Or Tyreek? Ooh, probably Tyreek. I'm going Tyree, going Tyreek. Cardinals at the Browns, Kyler Murray possibly playing this week or maybe it's Clayton Tune. If Kyler does go, would you trust having him in your lineup? And if he doesn't go, are there any Cardinals you can trust?
Speaker 3: It depends on options with Kyler Murray. Like in our Fantasy Live league, Brock Purdy has been the quarterback I've been streaming recently, and then I have Kyler as a backup. But I had to pick up Daniel Jones because I'm like, what if Kyler doesn't play? So in that instance, yeah, I would take the shot on Kyler Murray. But like, if you have a quarterback who you feel like Dak Prescott or something like that, or you feel comfortable with, I would take a weight and see approach with Kyler Murray. If Kyler sits this week and we're talking about Clayton Tune starting, it becomes really hard to trust your Cardinals. I think Trade McBride is in play just because tight end and the amount of volume that the Cardinals I have seen this year. Marquis Brown becomes boom or bust and everyone else i'd try to get away from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that I would start Kyler if he plays this week, right, He's been off for a long time coming back from the injury, and this is just about the matchup, right, Like, I don't want Kyler Murray in his first game back going against Miles Garrett. I just don't. And I think that's honestly why I don't know that the Cardinals are going to play him. I think I really think they're gonna throw Clayton Tune into the Wolves, like, good luck, kid, here's this monster on the other side where they were ninety five. Try not to get killed. So I don't think Kyler plays. I wouldn't start him if he does play, and with Clayton Tune there, I don't know that I start any Cardinals because when you drafted Marquis Brown, you weren't expecting this sort of production, So you have other options. Trey McBride is a guy that if you have him, you just picked him up off the waiver wire, so maybe you have a way to sort of pivot around that. So I if it's Clayton Tune, I think I'm out on Arizona players this week.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get de Mercado forty rushing attempts yep for probably like you know, sixty two yards for a Mari de Mercado.
Speaker 2: So that that is what I think about. That that'll do it for this edition of the NFL Fantasy Football Show. Stay happy, safe and healthy, do good, and live well. We'll be back tomorrow to preview the rest of the Week nine matchups.