Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode where I will count you down the biggest, the greatest, the best twenty five sitcoms of all time. This all started because I said on my show that I didn't think Seinfeld was a top five sitcom of all time for me, and then I started to think about it. I don't think Seinfeld's top ten sitcom for me. That I watch them all on TBS, yes, what, I've rather been watching dinosaurs back from the TGIF days. Yeah. Probably, so they didn't show that because they didn't make as many episodes. So we're gonna walk number twenty five all the way to number one my greatest sitcoms of all time. Here's the thing. A sitcom, to me thirty minutes must have a studio audience. So one of my favorite shows ever is The Office. It did not make it. There is no studio audience. So if we're doing honorable mentions the Office parks and rec not tradition and a sitcoms, we'll do more honorable mentions later. Let's start at number twenty five. Family Ties. Now I was really young. There was also an episode of Family Ties where a teenager had a baby, and I remember asking my mom, how does a teenager have a baby, and she said, it comes out of your belly button. So for a long time I thought babies came out of belly buttons. And it's because of an episode of Family Ties that I saw where there was a teen pregnancy. That's what my mom said to me. And she was a teen mom. You would think she would at least tell me the truth. Family Ties, the show was about two former hippies that became parents and then raise kids. Michael J. Fox was the star of the show, or at least ended up being the star of the show, and so Alex P. Keaton, which some of you will only know from LFO Summer Girls, where the line goes, Michael J. Fox was Alex P. Keaton. That's from Family Ties. Fun fact about this show that during the show's run he filmed Back to the Future at night while shooting the television show all day. And the show wasn't supposed to be based on Alex P. Keaton Michael J. Fox. It's just he became so popular during the show they slowly modified it so at twenty five, Family Ties at twenty four, the show I often confuse with Family Ties growing pains. It's two words Parents heart throb son. The heart throb this time is Kurt Cameron. The fun thing about Growing Pains Well, great theme song, show me that smile? Look again, show me that smile. Don't waste another minute on You'll cry in great theme song. And speaking of theme songs, the Dad Alan Thick was already known as a television host and songwriter before playing Jason Sever the dad on the show. He co wrote several famous television theme songs, including Different Strokes and the Facts of Life. Freaking Allen Thick. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them all. In there you have freaking Allen Thick. That's right. DiCaprio was actually on Facts of Life back in the day. He was a homeless teenager who was taken in by the Sever family. He was around sixteen and still a couple of years away from being a major star. But when you think about DiCaprio, you have to think about number twenty four, Growing Pains at number twenty three. The Andy Griffith Show maybe the only black and white show that makes the list. Don Knott's comedy legend Andy Griffith one of the first records that I ever learned songs to My grandma used to play Andy Griffith gospel records for me back in the day. I thought that was contemporary country, but no, it was Andy Griffith Gospel. Loved the Andy Griffith Show, you know. And I loved when they would bring on the family that played the music with the jugs. That was good too, Number twenty three, Andy Griffith two twenty two. When you talk about great TV theme songs, I just say this, We'll moving on up, and then you go moving on up, and then I go to the east side and you go to the east Side. George and Weezy. They were a spinoff of The Bunkers, by the way, and All the Family, in case you didn't know that, So The Jeffersons was a spin off of All in the Family eleven seasons, two hundred and fifty three episodes. Fun fact actually went longer than All in the Family did. All in the Family Honorable Mention did not make the list, but that was a show with Archie Walker and he'd be like the bit the piano heard the song Glay Miller played, and then you go Allison County Hit Parade didn't make the list, but The Jeffersons did a number twenty one, the greatest most descriptive television theme song in the history of television theme songs. If you just watched the beginning of the show, you knew the exact premise of the show, and it set you up for total success with getting all of the jokes that were about to happen. Now, it's not the greatest show of all time. It's actually number twenty one on my sitcom list, But if we just did theme songs, I think it'd be number one. The Nanny. The entire theme song of The Nanny tells the entire story of the Nanny. You don't even need to check in and be like, what's this show about? You just turn theme song on and it tells you. Friend Dresher was the star of that show, and she ran into the president of CBS on a fight and said, hey, give me a pitch meeting. Well that's my that's my impression her. But that wasn't very good, and so she got a pitch meeting with her the president of CBS and her husband, and The Nanny was successful, and it's my number twenty one. Number twenty is Reba. I don't know if you heard about this lady pretty successful. Reba McIntyre. Now Reba had acted before Reba, but it was our first time carrying a weekly sitcom. We had Melissa Peterman on this show. You can go back and check some episodes, and she talked about how the show wasn't even called Riba at first. It was another placeholder name, but then once Reba said yes to the show, it immediately became Riba. By the way, Melissa Peterman, who's Barbara Jean on Riba one of the funniest side characters in any sitcom. This is also a show that I did not watch live. I guess they're not showing alive. How would I say that? This is not a show that I would watch as they were producing it. This is a show that, again, like a lot of these, I saw every single episode on TBS. We're now at number nineteen. If you're wearing socks, hold on to them. If you underwears loose, be careful, and number nineteen. Seinfeld, whoa, whoa. I heard my boys go woof in the back behind the cameras and they're woofing me the number nineteen episode, the number nineteen. I can't even get my words out because everyone's so in shock sitcom is Seinfeld. The original pilot name was called These Seinfeld Chronicles, Kramer was actually named Kessler, and Elaine wasn't in it at all. NBC did not order a normal full season, and an executive used money from special budgets to fund four episodes and so they kind of patch milled it together. It is arguably the biggest sitcom of all time. Yeah, I heard to say not my favorite. I like it. It made my list and I've watched I think every sitcom. I think if you're born in the nineties, you probably watched a lot of these in studio laugh track type sitcoms because that was what was dominating television. Also, if you didn't have parents, pause for all. Thank you at number eighteen, very underrated. Freaking loved this show and the only reason it's not any higher is because they just needed more seasons of it. Three letters A L. F ALF Alien freaking Life Form ALF was created by this dude and if you ever watch like the documentary on it, this dude was hardcore, like he made everybody's life miserable. And also how they had to move ALF around there would be holes in the floors and so they'd have to shoot a scene with the guy doing Alf from below, puppeteering it, and then they'd have to fill the hole, stop the shot, move everybody. It was miserable, and he would. According to the documentary I watched, require twenty and thirty takes. So the Tanners not to be confused with the Tanners from Full House. They were a family and Saleen landed in their garage and then he lived with them and they wanted to keep a secret, and he tried to eat their cat, and he was from melmac Man. As much as that show was miserable to make, I loved it. And they tried with ALF and many other things that had a pretty funny ALF cartoon, and they tried to give ALF a late night talk show at some point. It's fine, but at number eighteen, for sure, Alf number seventeen on my list. There's only a few newer sitcoms on my list, and this is one of them. And it's How I Met Your Mother, And so the beginning and the end of each episode it's the two kids, Ted's children, and it's the voice telling Ted's children the story of how he met their mother. And so the crazy thing about this the scenes involving Ted's kids had to be filmed years in advance because the actors would obviously age so much. Because if you're just going one season to the next, but the actors are three and four years older, the continuity there is gone. So the So what they did they would just sit the kids down and they would have multiple seasons written out. Or even better, they would just shoot the kids with no understanding of what the voice was going to say. But they shot them in so many ways. They could just do the voiceover and the kids would just have all these reactions and it would just go with the voiceover. So that's what's up. I love the finale. Most people didn't. I love the finale was fantastic. I don't want to spoil the finale, but most folks hated it. The creator of the show said that they knew the ending for roughly nine years kept it a secret, said that people tried to bribe the information from him, never gave it up. And it's impressive because there's no way I could keep a television secret for nine years. How I Met Your Mother? Number seventeen at number sixteen another show that I've seen every single episode, and this is not a TBS. This is more of a Nicket Knight because way back in the day, some of you are gonna remember this. Nick and I used to show things like Dobie Gillis Gilligan's Island. They would show Mary Tyler Moore show. They would do that show. They look alike and talking like at times they even walk alike. What a while, o pair, but their cousins identical cousins. It was all those old black and white shows. But I remember one day, because I watch it every night, they started showing sitcoms in color from the eighties and from the nineties. I was like, this is amazing, And eventually The King of Queens started to be shown on Nicked Knight, and The King of Queens started to be shown on TBS. Before this series, Kevin James had never actually been the lead of a sitcom series before the series was developed. After his appearances on Everybody Loves Raymond and so you say it's a spin off of Raymond and So Doug Heffernan was on Raymond became a separate character, Leah Remedy, who, by the way, to me is always Stacey Crosi from Saved by the Bell she was love interesting. At the time, everyone thought, Wow, she's way too hot for that guy, but then that started to be a theme in all sitcoms. And so I was watching an interview with her and she was just talking about how their chemistry was perfect, their relationship work because they weren't a perfect couple. They loved each other, but they were also competitive and constantly trying to get away with something, and it was a really funny show. And one time I text my wife the lyrics to the theme song of King of Queens, just as a straight text. She said, Oh, that's so sweet, and I said, you know why, because it's the lyrics to the theme song to King of Queens at number fifteen or ten through here Night Court. This is the old school for me. I was a child watching Night Court. But I thought that Judge Harry Anderson. I thought that the fact that he could do magic was the coolest thing ever. And I wouldn't know who mel Tormae was to this day, and his name was Harry Stone on the show, but Harry Anderson was the magician in real life. I wouldn't know who mel Tormay was at all if it wasn't for Judge Harry t Stone from Night Court playing his music and doing magic tricks. And Bull was the big bald bailiff who was massive. Roz was like the not taking into your crap bailiff. Christine was like the hot lawyer. John Leri Quette was like the pervy other lawyer. Man. Go back if you ever get a second and you're curious about me talking about Nightcourt and talking about Harry Anderson, if you go back. He did a magic set on SNL where he took the needle and went through his arm. It's pretty wild to see, but really great magician. Bull was six foot eight. I saw that, and mostly they said he was higher because one looked intimidating, but two could reach stuff that they needed off the shelves. There number fourteen. Step by Step, what a great show. I never watched Dallas, and I think that's where the dad is from Dallas, one of those show. It's not Dynasty. I'm pretty sure it's Dallas, that show where they go who killed Jr. So I didn't know him from that. I just knew him as the dad on Step by Step and it was TGIF and if you're on TGIF. I loved it. I didn't really love Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but I gave it the pass because it was on TGIF. The premise of Step by Step was essentially the Brady Bunch for TGIF Generation two single parents, they marry, they combined six children. The difference here was it wasn't three boys and three girls. He got a nineties up a little bit, so he got a couple boys and a girl, a couple of girls and a boy, and ABC canceled it after only six seasons. It feels to me like that show was around for twenty years. Right after that, CBS did pick it up, but for only one season, so the final season is CBS. It did not feel the same. It feels wrong that the final season of Step by Step was not on TGIF but at number fourteen. Man, what a theme song? What a theme song? I don't want to spoil anything, but that theme song was saying written by the same people that did Full House Family Matters.
Speaker 2: Hang tight, the Bobby Cast will be right back, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: Number thirteen. Coach as a kid who liked sports and sitcoms. I freaking loved Coach. Minnesota State not even a real Team. Craig T. Nelson played Hayden Fox for nine seasons. This show ran for almost two hundred episodes. That is crazy. It began with Hayden coaching the fictional Minnesota State Screaming Eagles. It got kind of weird when he started coaching in the NFL. That happened near the end. Jerry Van Dyke, he played Luther, one of the greater sidekicks of all time. Super popular. But I once Peede beside I'm at Oakland Racetrack, and I did not look down. I waited until he finished, and I said, mister Van Dyke, I'm a massive fan, and he said thank you and departed the bathroom. Fun fact Jerry Van Dyke is Dick Van Dyke's brother, So Coach comes in at number thirteen. The most fun fact about Coach, though, is that the guy who plays Dauber is the voice of Patrick on SpongeBob. Yeah. Yeah, that's my second bat impression. Can't do the Nanny and it can't do Patrick all right. Number twelve is the sitcom my mom loved the most, so we watched every single episode when it came on. I was in I ended up loving it as well and then watching all the episodes, is Roseanne fantastic? Roseanne Barr's original stand up persona is what ended up making this show work, and it's what they built the show around. Roseanne was a working class mom who was raising kids and paying bills and being married, but showed how hard that was as well. Lanford Illinois is a great show. Is different than most sitcoms because there was kind of a grittier quality to it. I think what attracted me to it, what felt the most real about it, was like they worried about money on that show, and that felt odd because most shows didn't worry about paying the bills. I grew up in a family that we worried about paying the bills, and I think that's why we kind of felt like that was our show. So they had ordinary jobs, they fought over the bills, They had loser boyfriends.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I hated how the show ended, though, really one of the most cop out endings of all time, because at one point they win the lottery and they're now multi millionaires bam rocking. It turns out they didn't really win the lottery. It started to be where Roseanne was writing and it was kind of her dream but she was right, you know, writing fiction about their life after Dan died. Dan had a heart attack and died and that's when. But you didn't know that till the end, so you watch like a season or two thinking they won the lottery. Terrible ending. I hate dream endings, or like I wrote, this is a fictional thing that I wrote, I've been fooling you for the past. That's stupid in solid a minus. The only thing that runed it was the real cop out ending. There number eleven, the Golden Girls. It's crazy how old they weren't, because when you look at pictures of them now, they all look like they're one hundred and fifty years old. There's a bunch of old ladies living in Florida. But they weren't. They were like fifty forty seven. And also so Dorothy Juboornac, she was actually older than the woman who played her mom as still Geddy, I still Getty was a little lady. And b Arthur played Dorothy, So Dorothy younger but taller, a still Geddy, smaller mom, but the daughter was actually older than the mom in real life. Anyway, that was weird. That always tripped me out. And then they the mcclan the Rose was like a whore Blanche. Oh yeah, yeah, Rose was good. That's right. Rose was the Minnesota one. That's right. Ye. Good job, good job, good job, good job. Yeah, Rue McClanahan, that's what. That's where I got them mixed up, thank you. Yeah, Blanche was a horror How about that? She was just banging dudes like crazy in her back rooms. What the heck? And it was a constant joke. So I put that number eleven the Golden Girls. Now we're now into the top ten and there is no Seinfeld to be found, because it was way back there at number nineteen. At number ten, this one is going to be because I am extremely biased, and I loved this show so much for a couple of reasons. One because it reflected what I wanted to do when I grew up in two because one of the main characters was a guy from Arkansas. And there was this one episode of the show where they're throwing turkeys out of a helicopter as a prize, except they didn't realize turkeys couldn't fly, so all the turkeys are dying. It's a WKRP in Cincinnati, so it's about a radio station in Cincinnati, And so the turkey drop episode is still probably the most famous episode because it was inspired by our real radio promotion where they were just going to throw turkeys out, but then they realized that turkeys don't fly or even glide, so they all died right in front of everybody. They all slammed to their death. So Les Nessman was the news guy, but the guy from Arkansas was Herb Tarlick, and he was the sales guy. And for a long time, and I would check into hotels, especially when I was working for ABC, they made me use a fake name to check in, and it was Herb Tarlik. It was always Herb Tarlick. It's not anymore because I don't check in with a fake name anymore, but when I was told to, my fake name was always Herb Tarlick. In honor of WKRP in Cincinnati at number nine. Family matter another spinoff of Perfect Strangers. Honorable Mention Perfect Strangers. Blacky bar Takin Moose Hilarious cousin Larry Hilarious did not make the list, but pretty close. But Family Matters was the spinoff because Harriet Winslow had been the elevator operator in a building where Larry worked, which was the newspaper. And so nineteen eighty nine that was the year there was an advertiser boycott on this series because there was an episode that was considered, Oh let me start again on the starting guns again. Can you edit this? Okay, yes, I'm gonna do a different fact and if we talk about characters that were never supposed to be the central theme, it's Steve Erkle. So Erkele was a one episode guest character, not even episode one. He showed up at the end of an episode about a third of the way through the first season. People loved him so much they continued to put him on the show and eventually they shifted the whole show to be the Erkele Show. So there was a lot of resentment within the cast because of that. Jelle White played Arkle. He was twelve years old when he auditioned, and Erkele was one of the most popular characters t shirts television shows. I don't know if there was Anarkle video game, but there should have been. He had a catchphrase, did I do that? So not even supposed to be on the show. Boom nailed it. He was what that show was about. Then stefan Urkel came in and that wasn't even terrible, Like he was playing like sleep. I was like kind of a time machine type thing. This wasn't really a time machine. But Steve Erkele would go in and then he'd go and then stefan Urkel would come out and he'd be all slick, Yeah, it's good. Number eight married with Children. This show to me was like a funnier Roseanne because it was gritty like that. It was Fox's first big show, so it may have been one of the first primetime shows that Fox ever launched themselves. Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game. If he didn't know that he was a shoe salesman, his life sucked. He'd go home to Peggy, who really didn't care. Christina Applegate was like the hot daughter, you know, to every one at the time. She was older than me at the time. It's weird because I'm an adult now on the show is his teenager, but she was older than me. It's I kind of watched the Britney Spears Baby One More Time video and I'm like, dang, that was crazy. But I was that age, so it was okay for me to look at that then, so having that kind of existential crisis right now as I'm talking about this show because she was a teenager. But then there was Bud Bundy who Bud was interesting because you know, he was a little brother on the show and kind of the loser, but in real life he was a rapper too, pretty much all those white young male actors tried to rap a little bit. But he also wasn't terrible. But this was really a sitcom that helped Fox become real. That and the Simpsons are the two. The Simpsons I can't put on the list. No studio audience. I put nothing animated, there is no family guy, there's no American Dad, there's no studio audience. So I can't do it. Number seven this is a show that did not come on in the evening at all. This is the show that came on early in the day when it was the weekend. This show did have a studio audience though, and it was thirty minutes. And number seven is saved by the bell. Originally it was good Morning, Miss Bliss. Then it was saved by the bell with a weird cast, and then it became the cast that we know with Zach and Kelly and Lisa Turtle and Slater and Screeched and all those and so yeah, when it started, it was a Disney Channel series and Miss Bliss, who was in the early early episodes, was the center of it all. And it was a teacher and Hailey Mills played that teacher. Now, Hailey Mills also was like an actor from way back in the Black and White days, which, again, other than my nickedt Night knowledge, I didn't have a lot of knowledge in the Black and White days, but I do know that Hayley Mills played something way back then and she was very famous, and she was the teacher and it was on Disney Channel and it somewhat failed, NBC bought it, reworked it, and then it became the Saved by the Bell that we know now. And so baside California, did you know there were I believe more episodes of the Saved by the Bell reboot than actually Saved by the Bell. We just didn't watch them because it kind of sucked and they kept switching out the cast. Number six, Everybody Loves Raymond A plus show almost made the top five. Really struggle with not putting in the top five. Ray Romano and the creator who's been on this show, Phil Rosenthal, used their families as material. Rosenthal said to me in an interview that roughly ninety percent of the series and the stories from the series came from things that happened to him or Romano that they didn't have to really venture off when it came to writing. And this is another one of those two where Romano was a comedian and his act was Ray on the show, so it was two people that kind of had a similar upbringing. And Ray Romano did that on stage and Phil Rosenthal thought, Man, that's fantastic. Let's build that out. There's a really great episode of The Bobbycast with Phil Rosenthal if you want to go check it out. Ray Romano's real brother was a New York police officer and helped inspire Robert. And that feels great until everybody at the police station starts comparing you to the giant guy on television who's playing a character, and that's what happened with Ray's real brother. Yeah, that kind of suck. Number five. We were here. We were inside the top five sitcoms of my all time at number five, Oh, Home Improvement, I would wait on Thursdays, and I would think, who watches Frasier when Home Improvement is on? Because those are the two big ones on. At the same time, I was thinking, how can someone they gotta be stuff cup to watch Frasier a psychiatrist, whenever you could watch a guy like doing stuff with his hands having a TV show about tools. So Tim Taylor grew from Tim Allen's here we Go Again stand up routine about men and tools, the differences of men and women. They basically took his comedy act, gave him a wife, three kids, and then a television show. Inside the television show, and there's a neighbor whose name was Wilson. And at the very beginning they thought, let's just have this little joke where we don't really see his face. We'll just see his eyes down And so Wilson was a neighbor where you never saw his face, and that caught on so much that not only were people dying to see what Wilson looked like, they would then later on through the seasons put really funny objects just to block his face, fences, plants, masks, whatever they could find. Even when they would do at the very because if they're taping in front of the studio audience. People would come out and take a bow that had been in the show. Earl Hinman, who played Wilson, would come out with a fence over his face and not even show his face to the studio audience. And there was no internet back then, so you didn't even know what Earl Hyman looked like. So not supposed to be a character. Ended up becoming a big part of Home Improvement really because they hit his face and everyone was so curious about it. But that's my number five Home Improvement. At number four, I felt sorry for a lot of these people. Still right now, I feel sorry for a lot of these people in this number four show because it was such a good show and ruined it runed. How great this show was then and how great this show would be right now. Yeah, and number four I'm putting the freaking Cosby show. That show was so good. This show was the number one television show for years. We loved Cosby on that show. Oh my god, it was like the centerpiece for NBC's Thursday night lineup, Like that was NBC Thursday. I ended up being TGIF at a later time. It was like what everybody went to watch. It was Cosby Show, it was Family Ties, it was Cheers, it was Night Court, it was Hill Street Blues. I turned it off Beforehill Street Blues came on. There was no laugh track or no studio audience. That show kind of sucked to me. I was a kid, what do you expect? But that was a Hall of Fame lineup, and one night it finished as television's number one rate a program for five straight years. Bill Cosby Sleeves Bag, terrible person. You ruined it. We would still enjoy that show and think of the actors that aren't getting the residuals from that show because they had to pull it off a television Bill Cosby, you suck. And number four The Cosby Show, What a great show. Number three Full House, What a jam loved it. Bob Saggett was the producer's first choice to play Danny Tanner, but he was not available. He was on a different show. So they cast John Posey to play Danny, and they shot the pilot and if you've ever seen that on the internet, it's weird. It's like bizarro full House. It's like a different timeline because Bob Saggett, Danny Tanner doesn't exist. There's some weird man with Michelle Tanner call the cops, but Bob Saggett became available after they shot the pilot. Poor John Posey got pulled off. Imagine that you get cast. I mean, you don't know if the show is gonna make it, but it is getting picked up to make a pilot, and then all of a sudden, you did nothing wrong and now they're pulling you off of it. Well, Danny Tanner was the guy. Obviously, did a really great episode of the show at John Stamos where he talks about that fun fact. Dave Cooyer originally read for Joey, but producers also had him read for Danny before they end up giving the role to John Posey. So not only is there an alternate universe where John Posey was Danny Tanner, Dave Coolier cut it out, was also Danny Tanner in another alternate universe, and they also didn't like each other the first season or two of the show. It's a really great story. Again, watch the John Stamos episode of The Bobbycast or listen to it, and he talks about that and how they all had somebody sick around the same time. And it really forged their relationship and they all remained very close. Rest in peace, Bob saggat number three, Full House. We're now to my top two sitcoms of all time at number two. A show that was called Insomnia Cafe, A show that was called six of one. A show that was called Friends Like Us, a show that ended up being called simply friends. Friends is clearly the right answer. It's easy. It's one word. Everything else sounds like a coffee shop that closed fifteen years ago in your neighborhood. Those were terrible titles, although if they were the titles that were today, we'd accept them for being the name of the show. The cool thing about this show is that show got so popular. The six actors negotiated as a group instead of individually when it came to money, so no one would be left out, no one was above another. They all had a million bucks coming to them every single episode. Whenever the series ended. Nobody tried to be the bigger star. No one tried to leave the five others behind. And that's pretty cool. The number one sitcom of all time according to me, your friend Bobby, the fresh Prince of bel Air. This is the coolest show that ever existed in the history of time. Not only was I a DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince fan, and boy was I ever I love some time that There was a song on the backside of that Summertime record called you Saw My Blink my Blinker b word, and the whole thing was about him getting an accent with some old lady and you Saw My Blinker and I thought that was the craziest song ever. It was the only song that I had on a tape that cursed. Maybe it was the only song on that whole tape that had a curse word in it. But I loved DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince thought they were the coolest. And when the when The Fresh Prince got a TV show, I thought Will Smith was the coolest thing on television, all the colors, the hip hop parts of it. And so the show really happened because Will Smith was in serious financial trouble in real life. He had made a lot of money as a rapper, didn't properly pay his taxes, and the irs took a big chunk of what he earned after he got in trouble. So in a weird way, Will Smith owned the government money helped give us the number one sitcom of all time, The Fresh Prince of bel Air. There's a scene and it's in season four. It's not the Fine. Sometimes people think this is the final scene of the final show. But it's in season four and the title of the episode is pap has got a brand new excuse if it's not the finale. But his dad comes back. Now you gotta think this whole show is about Will Smith moving with his uncle, uncle Phil James Avery, who by the way, was a star of the stage, could sing and was a great Broadway actor. Also, uncle Phil James Avery was the voice of Shredder in the Ninja Turtle cartoons. How about that? So he lived with his uncle, lived with his aunt. Weirdly, the ant changed because Will Smith got in to a fight with the first ant, Viv, and then brought on a second aunt, Viv. But he got got to California, is living with the uncle. His dad comes back. His dad's been out of his life for a long time. His Dad's like, Will, We're gonna go We're gonna do this thing together. We're gonna I'm a truck driver. We're gonna go ride the open roads and Will's ready to go, and he wakes up and he's ready and his dad's gone. His dad left him, and there's a scene where Will breaks down and goes, how come you don't want me? Man, and like cries and hugs Uncle Phil. Give it an Oscar Grammy retroactive all that. Give it all that because I felt that rumor is James Avery again star of Stage, whispered in Will Smith's ear while shooting that scene. That's real acting. That's pretty cool. It's probably the most emotional scene that show ever did. And that's my number one sitcom of all time, The Fresh Prince of bel Air. I'd just like to say one more time before we conclude this, that Seinfeld came in at number nineteen. Suck it funny. I make references that are Seinfeld references. Didn't even come close to my top five, and people got so upset on the internet. I can't believe it's on the top five. I can't believe you watched this all the way at number one. That's what I can't believe. Or that you listen into this all the way to number one, That's what I can't believe. Please leave a comment if you can I don't know what you're consuming this on and tell me where I was wrong, where I messed up. I'd love to hear it, love to see it. Thank you for watching my Smurf's hat. It's the only hat I have that has some sort of television character on it. So Smurfs did not make it. Animated. Love the Smurfs though back in the day. But Smurfs did not make it. They are not a sitcom. It's the only TV paraphernalia that I had to wear.
Speaker 2: Hank Ty the Bobby Cast. We'll be right back and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: Hey, So, I wanted to share this episode with you from the upload with Brooke Taylor. It is a wonderful faith based podcast that I hope you hear this and you go subscribe to it. But Corey Kent, who is such a great artist, joined Brooke talk about that family success. But the conversation took an unexpectedly personal turn when they opened up about miscarriage. So Corey shared his story. They talk about their stories and if you enjoyed this, I would encourage you check out the upload with Brooke Taylor. You can subscribe and you know, catch all the episodes. It really is a fantastic podcast that we are happy to have here on the Nashville Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: We recently lost their pregnancy, but it is it's okay, It's yeah.
Speaker 5: We've we've been down that road and it's unfathomable, Like it doesn't that that sentence doesn't even do it justice. So I know, I'm really sorry. That's that's not a especially when you know what that that leads to in the relationship that at least too, it's not the same as just like, well try again, it's not the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely an emotional roller coaster, but it's so sweet. We actually haven't talked about it on the podcast before, but it was such a sweet almost just conversation that I got to have with God about like why is this happening to me? That he literally met me right there and was just like he spoke so clearly to me in those moments of I could spury all of the long story, but there were just things that happened we were so early on in our pregnancy where the Lord specifically spoke to me. He was just like, you didn't lose it. I moved it, Like there wasn't a baby. It was a chemical pregnancy or what have you. And he was just like, you didn't lose it. You weren't ready for number three yet. And it was such a sweet moment with just me and my husband of like we feel guilty for not being so sad, Like it was a very traumatic experience and a very hard thing to go through, but we by the grace of God, like that peace that people talk about that surpasses all understanding, like it just doesn't ever make sense.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean, anybody that's been through that, I hate that for them. But there is there is purpose in it, you know, and you don't know it until you walk through it. But like we, uh, we had. Man, I'm glad my wife's not in here right now because we'd.
Speaker 1: Both be crying. Yeah, but we we had.
Speaker 5: It was not super super early on for us and so we actually my wife had to deliver and and I don't know, I have to clear this obviously with her if she wants any of this to be shared.
Speaker 1: So this is us talking as.
Speaker 5: Friends right now. But we we ended up burying that baby on our land in Texas, and it's such a like it's such a good reminder, like my my kids know that they like, they talk about baby Sonny and they talk about like can't wait to meet baby Sonny like we have. If you ask my kids how many kids are in our family, they would say five, which is whild because we did not try to instill that in them, but they they prayed for that baby and when it you know, we we announced to them on Christmas morning of last year that like, you're going to have another sibling. And then when I mean, the toughest conversation I ever had to have was telling them that they weren't going to get to meet this one at least decide, you know. And so then they were like, well, but we'll get to meet them someday, and I was like, yeah, you yes, you will one hundred percent. And so like I think that, you know, God in my life used that to kind of help my kids understand that this isn't all there is, right and then also I'll never forget out out at our ranch, we had my wife's family, you know, part of a big Italian family and family is everything, and they came out and it was I was just like, man, if nothing else, my kids got to see a room full of adults like in the midst of the saddest, hardest, most confusing thing that we had walked through like a room full of people praising God, you know, and in the mid of something that nobody wanted, you know, and going, hey, like we choose to believe that that God has this, like there's purpose for it. It's good. That's yeah. I mean, I'm with you. It's not something that you just walk around and offer up as information. But you know, as crazy as it sounds, it's been really like formative for my kids here.
Speaker 3: You know, so cool to hear you say one of the things that I've seen people walking through we had too during our four journey, and the theology of heaven, understanding of heaven in a little kid's heart is so beautiful to see like that they see beyond the veil, you know, and I think grief, it's not this false hope. It's not just trying to make them feel better and a band aid over sadness. It's like true, real hope beyond the veil. And life is but a vapor here one day, gone the next, as the Bible says. And to see my children and to hear your children, no, for sure a certainty in their heart. It shifts that, it shifts the narrative from being this baggage I carry around to being this vision I look forward to. Yeah, and that's just just so cool to hear man like really moving And thanks for obviously we're we're going to have the conversation, but just thanks for your vulnerability bron and that and YouTube broke and yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Love you guys, love you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I you know something you said about how your kids know that they're somewhere else now, like they understand that there's another side of eternity that we you know, hopefully we'll see soon. But that was the moment where I feel like it like really changed for my husband specifically when everything happened.
Speaker 6: You know, you're so disconnected in a way, like compared.
Speaker 4: To the to the woman right where it like the physical act is happening. But he the moment my daughter Emma, like she had asked me, like when do I get to see baby brother?
Speaker 6: Because she would always say baby brother.
Speaker 4: And we were sitting out on our back porch around a fire, and it was a few days before Christmas this year, and she's I tell her, you know, like baby brother's in heaven and you know we'll get to meet him someday. So she starts crying and she goes into my husband and she's just like.
Speaker 6: Why is he in heaven?
Speaker 4: Like I want him to come back, and like even when we pray sometimes now she was like, can you pray that baby brother would come back from heaven? And like she just seeing your kid, like you said, understand that there's more. Yeah, it's such a cool feeling as a parent, no doubt.
Speaker 5: And when you I feel like it's the same you know, principle in a lot of different areas of life. But you do find out what you're made of too. You find out, like if you find out if your faith is something you actually believe or not. And you don't know that until you go through something that it tests you. Like it's the same thing as like you can think you're tough, but until you're in a real fight, like you don't know how tough you really are. You know, there's just no way to test that except to test it, you know. And so for me, I just remember in that in that season, like being being grateful that like I actually believed what I believed, you know, because you find out in that moment, It's like, do I really still think God's good? Because this is terrible and I am frustrated with how God's letting this unfold, you know, and to go, all right, I get to choose whether I still believe that He has my best interest. That I get to choose to believe whether he loves me even you know that that good that bad things can happen to good people, right Like, I have to wrestle with that now, And do I actually believe that like a good God would let this happen? That adjust God with because like this this child didn't do anything, like what do we do to you? Got to wrestle with all that, and then man, I was just so like it sounds weird, but I was just relieved to go, like, oh, I really believe this stuff. This is not something that I just talk to talk and show up on Sunday or like you know, country music fans like me better because I talk about Jesus. It's not that, and you know it. There was always a little small part of my mind about like how real is this to me? You know? And then when you when you get tested, there's no fake in it. Yeah, there is no like you know exactly where you stand in that moment. So I'm in a in a weird way, grateful for that of like the testing of my faith and my kids being able to see that, you know, of just like they know what mom and dad believe is a real conviction and like a deep, deeply held belief even when it doesn't make any sense. So I know that's heavy and if we just do way deep. But never expected to talk about that on here, but here we are.
Speaker 4: Well, And I just to put a like an exclamation point on something that you just said about like watching your kids see you go through a test and like learning that you actually you know, yeah, I do believe in this. I think it has been in my life specifically so cool seeing the people around me, especially non believers, go like, how are you okay?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I was back to you know, back to work that next week, like Christmas was still great for our family, like it was a whole thing, and they're just like, what is it about you that.
Speaker 6: You're you're okay? And I'm like, I consider it joy, which sounds nuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it doesn't make sense. That doesn't play by the rules of here, you know, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just appreciate real conversations. I don't know, you know, I just appreciate so many times you talk about Jesus. We're talking theories, or we re we rehash stories we've heard. But like man, when it really rub it hits the road and it's tested and it's real, and it's like, man, you find out what you made of Everything you're saying is like, I think that's what people are looking for. People are wrestling with real stuff, like yeh. The question of how could this even possibly? How could God allow this? Is like the center point of like, man, how could I believe?
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: Share this episode with a friend because they don't pay to advertise us